8.6

1. Mar 7, 2013
    Definitely the best adventure game i've played in years.
    The story is great, the graphics are nice. Everything about this game is so good.
    I really hope they make more chapters in a near future. This IP has potential and Telltale did a tremendous making this game.

I'm glad they won the GOTY 2012. Very well deserved.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Bugs, glitches and broken aspects to this game should be a reflection on the user reviews, yet they are rating this game well above what it deserves. Obviously there are many fans of the whole 'zombie invasion' genre out there who will blanket this game 10s 100%. In reality, the game was released too early and needed much fixing before it is worth more than a 6 out of 10.
  3. Mar 6, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game. Changing storyline, detailed characters, edgy graphics and gameplay system. It's not a 10 because it has an occasional bug and glitch and isn't 100% refined. It's rough on a few of its edges but it's still an absolutely fantastic game worth playing. 9/10 all day.
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    An Amazing game! I'm not really into this kind of adventure games but the story was exceptional. Very immersive with a lot of spins and unforeseeable twists
  5. Mar 4, 2013
    Telltale's The Walking Dead provides fantastic character development, storytelling and a great cast of realistic, perfect voice actors. It's hard for me to imagine no one feeling emotion when playing through The Walking Dead. Telltale's Episodic model pans the experience of The Walking Dead over a few months and gives a longer, more enjoyable saga. The Walking Dead reminds us that gamingTelltale's The Walking Dead provides fantastic character development, storytelling and a great cast of realistic, perfect voice actors. It's hard for me to imagine no one feeling emotion when playing through The Walking Dead. Telltale's Episodic model pans the experience of The Walking Dead over a few months and gives a longer, more enjoyable saga. The Walking Dead reminds us that gaming shouldn't look like a drag act in Vegas, sparkly lights and tons of effects, but provide a larger focus on character development and storytelling. Never before has a point and click adventure ever brought me so much anticipation. Perhaps it was the storytelling and character development that excited me, or perhaps it was just the fact that I like zombies. Expand
  6. Mar 4, 2013
    While this is a game, its not a typical game. Its not a Mass Effect but the story is as intricate. It is a game in the fact that yes you have actions to perform and there are quicktime events that I usually hate but those work well here for immersion more than difficulty. This is a game of exploration of the human psyche. To play through it once and not a second or even a third timeWhile this is a game, its not a typical game. Its not a Mass Effect but the story is as intricate. It is a game in the fact that yes you have actions to perform and there are quicktime events that I usually hate but those work well here for immersion more than difficulty. This is a game of exploration of the human psyche. To play through it once and not a second or even a third time and make different decisions is a huge mistake. It is an interactive movie that becomes a game in that you objectives change, your perspectives change and the whole game changes according to how you act. While Mass Effect did this wonderfully, they could not have done it for $25, $12 when on sale on steam (which is how I picked it up) I ran into a few graphical glitches but that is my only complaint. As an adventure game its an awesome accomplishment. If you were expecting a Mass Effect zombie mod its the wrong game for you. Also many people miss the entire point of the TV series and this game. Its not Left 4 Dead and all about zombie slaying, its about people and about humanity and what happens when all the structure one day disappears? Its about integrity, morality and what defines right and wrong. What do you do when no one is watching? That is what this game is about. Expand
  7. Mar 2, 2013
    This is my favorite game of 2012 and imo the best adventure game of its class to be released this century if not ever. The story and pacing were both superb and I am anticipating a sequel. The fact it came out at a time when entertainment is over-saturated with zombie media makes it all the more surprising that I became so invested in it. I couldn't have asked for anything more.
  8. Mar 2, 2013
    The Walking Dead not a real game. Its look like a movie and if I want see one I have better Choice I do not like zombie game but this game is disgusting to me for many other reason
  9. Mar 1, 2013
    This game has gotten many people invested in the characters and setting on an emotional level. It's just worth it, not for the gameplay, but for story and characters.
  10. bvr
    Feb 28, 2013
    If you're coming into this expecting Gears of War or COD zombie mode, you're in for a hell of a disappointment. If you're coming into this expecting a fantastic narrative, sound, and art, expect to be very pleased.
    Personally, I haven't ever had an emotional gameplay experience on this level before. Superb.
  11. Feb 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Whilst I did enjoy the game, the animations and graphics left a lot to be desired. If you want an easy going game to pass the time then you might want to give it ago. It's a simple point and click adventure game, nothing taxing and easy puzzles. Some episodes felt too short and lucklustre especially the last episode. It's a nice attempt at something new but I wasn't blown away like most people seem to be. I'd give it a 6/10 because you get to make your own choices/decisions and it's a good concept but the wooden animations and sketchy art style prevented me from getting truely engaged with the story and develop much care for any the characters.

Yes I chose to drop Ben to his death, he was too damn annoying...
  12. Feb 26, 2013
    This game is truly EPIC... You have to choose who lives and who dies, its so intense, yet so exciting! I'm glad this game has got such great accolades from everywhere, because that's what it deserves! The story, the zombies, the characters, the animation and the graphics were just brilliant! I can't wait for Season 2...

So I would recommend this game, 'cause once you play, you won't

So I would recommend this game, 'cause once you play, you won't want to leave the game! It's that Awesome..!!
  13. Feb 24, 2013
    Far better than i expected. Interessting Story and Charachters. Its more like an interactive Series of the WD Universe. All who love Zombies and the End of the World will be satisfied.
  14. Feb 24, 2013
    By 2012/2013 standards The Walking Dead game should suck. Graphics are stylized yet low res and clunky, music may be good and atmospheric but sounds are so generic that they don't stick out and are average at best. And mostly and above all the game is old-school point-and-click like adventure divided into series of 5 episodes. All in all it's a recipe for a huge failure. This is how itBy 2012/2013 standards The Walking Dead game should suck. Graphics are stylized yet low res and clunky, music may be good and atmospheric but sounds are so generic that they don't stick out and are average at best. And mostly and above all the game is old-school point-and-click like adventure divided into series of 5 episodes. All in all it's a recipe for a huge failure. This is how it looks like in theory at least.

The truth is The Walking Dead deserves a solid 10/10 and was the gem of gaming in 2012 for me. I've mentioned all of it's shortcomings and I'm still sticking by it. As a game it's not great but as an interactive story with multiple twists and tribulations, involving characters, tough moral choices and a sense of ultimate despair that main characters are facing at all times makes it an EXTREMELY rewarding experience.
  15. Feb 22, 2013
    The Walking Dead deserves to be up in the ranks of Zelda OOT and Super Mario Bros for its innovative, unique way of storytelling, a cast of characters that the player will decide the connections with each of them, spot-on voice acting and many more qualities that make this game extraordinary.
  16. Feb 21, 2013
    I have one word for this "Game" "GARBAGE." It wasn't worth 25 bucks. It isn't worth 5. You would be better served to burn your 25 bucks for heat than waste it on this trash. The graphics look like some 6th grader went on a Gatorade binge and hyped all over the screen. The game play is non-existent. Way too much dialogue and when you DO finally get to do something it is timed and you doI have one word for this "Game" "GARBAGE." It wasn't worth 25 bucks. It isn't worth 5. You would be better served to burn your 25 bucks for heat than waste it on this trash. The graphics look like some 6th grader went on a Gatorade binge and hyped all over the screen. The game play is non-existent. Way too much dialogue and when you DO finally get to do something it is timed and you do not have time to read all the choices before the timer expires and it chooses for you. Steer well clear of this bomb unless you like watching a movie where you might actually get to do SOMETHING like TRY to read choice before your timer expires I feel like I just took 25 bucks and tossed it out the window into a hurricane. Expand
  17. Feb 19, 2013
    This has to be one of the best stories in a game that I've ever played. While the characters are very average, they are just regular every day people, the interaction you have with them creates an attachment, and emotional bond that you can't have with film or books. This is the first game that has had me tear up during its saddest moment. So because of that alone, this has to be theThis has to be one of the best stories in a game that I've ever played. While the characters are very average, they are just regular every day people, the interaction you have with them creates an attachment, and emotional bond that you can't have with film or books. This is the first game that has had me tear up during its saddest moment. So because of that alone, this has to be the best, most immersing story I've ever experienced in a game. This is definitely worth playing. Expand
  18. Feb 19, 2013
    An all right visual novel, with some interesting characters. Sadly your actions don't actually affect the ending, and in a visual novel (and YES, it is a visual novel, not a game) that is pretty important. And in terms of the ending (which I won't spoil) which people constantly say is amazing and emotional, was pretty much nothing compared to many other games, To The Moon being a good example.
  19. Feb 18, 2013
    This game, is really entertaining. The only bad things, would be that the episodes are too quick to complete. Also the fact that the whole meaning of the game is that your decisions decide the story... It really doesen't, your decisions might decide which character lives and which dies, in the end, it ends the same whatever what you choose! It's still an enjoyable game tho, it's pretty,This game, is really entertaining. The only bad things, would be that the episodes are too quick to complete. Also the fact that the whole meaning of the game is that your decisions decide the story... It really doesen't, your decisions might decide which character lives and which dies, in the end, it ends the same whatever what you choose! It's still an enjoyable game tho, it's pretty, it's characters are great and you almost get emotionally attached to the characters. And for those complaining about the whole game being finished in ''3 hours''.. There'll be coming a season 2 soon! Expand
  20. Feb 17, 2013
    One of the better games made out there, the game has very suprisingly very few cons and massive, massive pros.For starters the game is unbelievably simplistic and enjoyable and yet allows players to feel immersive and convinced. But despite the immersive element, the role playing sections felt slightly above average at best, it lacks punishment or consequences for decisions as in the endOne of the better games made out there, the game has very suprisingly very few cons and massive, massive pros.For starters the game is unbelievably simplistic and enjoyable and yet allows players to feel immersive and convinced. But despite the immersive element, the role playing sections felt slightly above average at best, it lacks punishment or consequences for decisions as in the end most decisions tend play out the same, and I felt that this severely prohibited me from really getting back into the game as I felt a little ticked off when I heard from friends that my decisions made no difference to how the plot continues. However, what the game fails to hold up to in decision making, it easily makes up for it's incredible ability to draw emotional responses. The game greatly succeeds in giving the player the true emotional stress of the apocalyptic situation, as the player no longer has the time to "think" but is instead forced to just act on instinct and bias, and the decisions while generally lacking in diversity, does help build extremely heavy emotional attachment and tension to characters, which are an entirely new list of pros and cons. The characters are done absolutely well, and if I may argue, play a larger part than the plot itself. Not only are the characters interesting and varied (despite some very generic characters...ahem... Mark), but more importantly the characters are not kiss ups, players will feel then massive tension between characters and are forced to choose based on real life bias, and not just choose "the hot girl" or the "ultimate nice guy". However character's do get very boring after a few hours into the game, you completely figure out what their going to be like by the time your in chapter 3, and after that players will no longer be interested in sharing and talking with them other than cutscenes, all the characters save Clementine and Kenny. The story shines amazingly, pulling emotional moments everywhere and succeeding in showing the true desperation of the characters. However, the gameplay suffers... Early in the game, the simple and artistic look will drag players into the game like mad. However, the gameplay itself gets tremendously tedious after a few chapters, and players seem to be driven entirely by plot and characters, and not by fun and exciting moments, like in other titles such as Mass effect 3 and Halo 4 (I am not advocating the said games, merely stating how both manage to draw a better than usual plot [save Mass effect 3's horrendous ending] while keeping gameplay oddly addictive [probably the shooting], in fact I'd say both games have an overall weaker plot than that of tthe Walking Dead). In conclusion, the game is excellent in it's immersive aspect and very well done in emotional tension, mental stress and general plot and character development, however the repetitive gameplay and annoyingly slow movements make the game feel less of a proper game and more of a really really really well done interactive TV show. So get the game but don't expect fun fun fun, but instead get some tissues and try not cry all the time. Expand
  21. Feb 16, 2013
    The Walking Dead has some of the best storytelling in video games and also characters you actually cared about and became emotionally attached. Definitely the best game of 2012, 10/10
  22. Feb 15, 2013
    Sure, its quite hard to be called a game itself but it certainly is a game. Maybe even the best game in that genre. The graphics are totally fine, the characters are awesome, so is the story.
    As long as you don't expect a game like all those zombie shooters etc. you will get an entertainment for cold, rainy evenings that's worth every cent. Also: play it with your girlfriend or boyfriend whatever better "movie" than most TV-trash.
  23. Feb 15, 2013
    This is definately one of the best games I've ever played. The story is totally amazing, and the way they tell it made me so emotionally engaged I just couldn't stop playing. The story and the voice acting is superb, and it really sticks with you. I love how the game adapts to my choices as it have a huge impact of the story progression, and the cellshaded graphics works really nice withThis is definately one of the best games I've ever played. The story is totally amazing, and the way they tell it made me so emotionally engaged I just couldn't stop playing. The story and the voice acting is superb, and it really sticks with you. I love how the game adapts to my choices as it have a huge impact of the story progression, and the cellshaded graphics works really nice with the games atmosphere.

Admittedly it have some minor issues, but it's pro's are outweighing it by far. The controls when shooting were a little bit clunky. I prefer playing with a gamepad, but had to switch to the mouse a few times for the shooting sequences. Also you can't skip movie sequences after having watched them once, if you happen to die or want to reload some part. And I wish they could put a save function in not just the auto save cause I ended up replaying longer parts than necessary sometimes.

I've seen some complaints that it's too little gameplay and too little action and if you can't stand story and dialogue being more prominent than shooting stuff this is not the game for you. Personally I totally loved that it was more about dialogue and some puzzle solving (I hope they have a bit more challenging puzzles in season 2 though). I think the length of the game was good too. I got totally hooked and it took me a few days to run through the 5 episodes (the reviewers saying it only takes three hours only played episode 1).

Other game makers should look at this as a very good example of what you can actually do with a game and how to tell a story, because that part was absolutely perfect. The choices are sometimes really tough, and the game actually made me cry at some points. I very much look forward to season 2 of The Walking Dead. If they can keep the same level of writing and voice acting season 2 is a must buy for me!
  24. Feb 14, 2013
    Though it may be debatable that there may be not much game, it is made up by everything else. These tense moments, emotions and great story and dialogue makes up for this far beyond what I even expected to experience.
  25. Feb 13, 2013
    If your a fan at all of the "Walking Dead" TV show, then this game is by far a MUST PLAY.

dont let the few haters get you down, this game has won its awards through well written story and action sequences. This is one of the few games that had me at the edge of my seat one moment then utterly breathless in shock at another moment, and finally in tears in yet a different scene.

This game will run you through a rollercoaster of emotions and thrills that you wont soon forget.
  26. Feb 12, 2013
    10 is way too low for this game. Brilliant writing that deviates from the story line of the TV series but keeps the spirit fully intact. Brilliant game that keeps you involved in the story and links you to each character, which were each well developed. Loved it. It seems like it can be replayed multiple times. Also love the fact that you are shown what others did in the choices.
  27. Feb 12, 2013
    I had this game from Steam summer sale and finally got around to it. I knew it had good reviews but went in with a unbiased opinion. I'm a fan of the comic series and a "so-so" fan of the TV show, and I must say, they really did a great job with this game. Telltale did a great job at capturing that feeling the comics give, and really pushing connections with characters. This game isI had this game from Steam summer sale and finally got around to it. I knew it had good reviews but went in with a unbiased opinion. I'm a fan of the comic series and a "so-so" fan of the TV show, and I must say, they really did a great job with this game. Telltale did a great job at capturing that feeling the comics give, and really pushing connections with characters. This game is more of a "interactive movie" like L.A. Noire is, so don't expect a clear-cut video game here, but it is vastly entertaining. I recommend to fans of Walking Dead/zombie lore, or anyone that likes character driven and choice drive games. Expand
  28. Feb 12, 2013
    I think this game is rather a movie than a game, but thats aint a problem! The story is well written with fantastic characters. The graphic is a bit rusty but its somehow fits perfectly for the whole atmosphere.
  29. Feb 9, 2013
    Let's cut to the chase....

The Walking Dead (2012 video game)is not as good as The Walking Dead (TV series). The TV show is an overwhelming hit and is very highly thought of. It has a combination of excellent writing and excellent acting that combine wondefully with the Robert Kirkman themes developed in the comic book series. Those same Robert Kirkman themes are an integral part of
    Let's cut to the chase....

Those same Robert Kirkman themes are an integral part of The Walking Dead (2012 video game).
    The game provides nice examples of good acting combined with interesting characters:
    Lilly, voiced by Nicki Rapp
    Carley, voiced by Nicole Vigil, and
    Molly, voiced by Erin Ashe.

Unfortunately, the most important character, Lee Everett is voiced by Dave Fennoy who provides a barely average performance.
    Even more disappointing is the key character Clementine who is voiced by Nicki Rapp who provides a very sub-par performance.
    I think perhaps it is almost impossible for a 40ish year old women to provide an acceptable rendition of an 8 year old girl
    I think producers use adults to provide for child roles because they are lazy. Child actors require a lot of effort to manage.
    Additionally the Clementine charater is drawn oddly and very unrealistically to the point of being somewhat distracting.

I enjoyed playing the game. I wish Robert Kirkman would take a little more interest in protecting how his work is utilized.
  30. Feb 5, 2013
    The Walking Dead's superb writing, terrific voice acting, stunning artistic graphics, excellent characters and emotional moments make this a masterpiece. The main character, Lee, is easily the best designed virtual character of 2012. The great vast of characters and their realistic personality make you care about them. The story's superb writing are greatly introduced. And the ending, wasThe Walking Dead's superb writing, terrific voice acting, stunning artistic graphics, excellent characters and emotional moments make this a masterpiece. The main character, Lee, is easily the best designed virtual character of 2012. The great vast of characters and their realistic personality make you care about them. The story's superb writing are greatly introduced. And the ending, was depressing and amazing. However, some technical issues can't make The Walking Dead perfect. However, it's an amazing game, and probably the best of 2012. Expand
  31. Feb 5, 2013
    The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series has beautiful art voice overs and remains true to Robert Kirkman's vision.

If you enjoyed games from the late 1990's like Kings Quest and Leisure Suit Larry you'll love this.(If you don't mind bugs) Personally I was annoyed at the bugs/glitches I found in the game such as not being able to clear the zombie off me at the motel in Starved for

Personally I was annoyed at the bugs/glitches I found in the game such as not being able to clear the zombie off me at the motel in Starved for help episode 2 so mark could kill it with the axe.

It's a slow paced game and combined with the glitches and clunky navigation I couldn't bare to crawl through more then 1 Episode completely.

Only reason I gave it a 5 was because of the voice acting and art.
  32. Feb 4, 2013
    This game has been getting g some very high scores and numerous accolades, I can safely say that the game fully deserves these. The game is not buggy at all on PC and I encountered no glitches on any of the 5 episodes. The characters and story and some of the best in all of video games and as one and there are so many twists and turns you can't help but be engrossed. The only real problemThis game has been getting g some very high scores and numerous accolades, I can safely say that the game fully deserves these. The game is not buggy at all on PC and I encountered no glitches on any of the 5 episodes. The characters and story and some of the best in all of video games and as one and there are so many twists and turns you can't help but be engrossed. The only real problem you may have is that the walking dead is more of a collection of 5 interactive movies than games as the focus is on story and characters rather than gameplay, but I personally have no problem with this as it makes it feel very unique and allows the story to be the priority. Overall unless you want to endlessly shoot zombies or solve puzzles like in telltales other adventure games I recommend everyone to give this game a shot. Expand
  33. Feb 1, 2013
    This is the best game I've ever played.
    This is the best game I've ever played.
    The game has a nice comic style, even if it sometimes looks a bit weird. The gameplay is not really outstanding, but this game does not need it, if you can call it ''game''. It's more of a historical narrative with quick-time events. And this story makes the game so great. The story, which is constructed in a structure in 5 episodes, is told so incredible. I believe that this experience I will not soon forget.
  34. Jan 31, 2013
    This is easily the best game in 2012 for story. The fact that some people think it is not a game just sickens me. How can people nitpick and use any straws they can cling to in order to say that it is not worthy of the high score it has?
  35. Jan 30, 2013
    See I love the show so I figured, "Hey the game must be awesome! Can't wait to shoot zombies!" Well don't waste your money. The controls are ridiculously idiotic and it should not be in the third person. There's no character development (none of them are likeable, just annoying) and you hardly do anything in the game anyways! There's no shooting, only derpty doo going to put my littleSee I love the show so I figured, "Hey the game must be awesome! Can't wait to shoot zombies!" Well don't waste your money. The controls are ridiculously idiotic and it should not be in the third person. There's no character development (none of them are likeable, just annoying) and you hardly do anything in the game anyways! There's no shooting, only derpty doo going to put my little floating d-pad on the zombie and let the game do everything for me! Lee moves as fast as a snail and the areas are always too limited and hard to navigate. I'm glad i got it half off or i would've been really mad. Expand
  36. Jan 28, 2013
    Anyone who doesn't view Telltale's The Walking Dead as a masterpiece doesn't have a good taste in games. After a frustrating experience with AMC's The Walking Dead television adaptation, I was surprised to see that Telltale was able to capture the gruesome dark horror of Kirkman's comic, with some amazing new characters and stories. A must play.
  37. Jan 27, 2013
    TWD - ATGS definitely has a good story which keeps you going and entertained. The decisions feel meaningful and, while not twisting the general plot, have an immediate impact even throughout several episodes. I cannot give it a higher rating than 8 though. The graphics are, even if they want to create a stylized comic feel, just not good. Several better textures, for example, would notTWD - ATGS definitely has a good story which keeps you going and entertained. The decisions feel meaningful and, while not twisting the general plot, have an immediate impact even throughout several episodes. I cannot give it a higher rating than 8 though. The graphics are, even if they want to create a stylized comic feel, just not good. Several better textures, for example, would not have destroyed the aesthetics. And still the game stutters from time to time, regardless of the power of the PC it runs on.
    Additionaly, the controls feel very weird in several places.
    And at last, the gameplay does not challenge the player in any scene... I would have been able to complete the game at the age of 4. TWD defines itself with the storytelling though, and that's why I don't downrate it a lot because of the previous negatives.

P.S.: I would not advise to let a 4-year-old play this game ;-)
  38. Jan 27, 2013
    Interesting semi-interactive game with a lousy interface. The fact that you cannot skip cutscenes really ticks me off. The choices you can make during the game are limited.
  39. Jan 27, 2013
    Terrible gameplay, but excellent story. I'm not a fan of point and click casual games, but they did a really nice job with the story. I would consider this to be more of a visual novel than a game.
  40. Jan 27, 2013
    I haven't played all of this series yet, but so far it has been absolutely amazing. I'm doing a 'LetsPlay' of it and I even have fun while editing it.
  41. Jan 26, 2013
    Fantastic story. Well written characters, made me feel emotions, which is what it set out to do.
    The gameplay itself is what you would expect. Don't go into this expecting Left 4 Dead or some other exciting action game, this is an interactive story experience.
    Would have liked it if your choices mattered more, you tend to get railroaded down the same path regardless, but still worth playing once.
  42. Jan 25, 2013
    I really have to say this game is almost perfection. I was worried about it going in that it would focus too much on random zombie action and take away from WHY we love the Walking Dead. We like it because it actually has story and character development. Not just random gore. The game is a point and click adventure. If that's not your type of game wait for the crappy FPS coming out soon.I really have to say this game is almost perfection. I was worried about it going in that it would focus too much on random zombie action and take away from WHY we love the Walking Dead. We like it because it actually has story and character development. Not just random gore. The game is a point and click adventure. If that's not your type of game wait for the crappy FPS coming out soon. (That I'll still probably play.) The timed decisions mechanic is a great move from the developers. Only have seconds to make a split choice really ripens the tension and panic of your situations. On top of that the game has a lot of content. 5 full episodes that can be a couple hours each to finish, with different paths and outcomes depending on how your handle things. Every choice you make can affect you way later down the road to similar to the style Mass Effect recently took.

If your a fan of the show, comics, zombies in general and like a good game that will challenge your wit and morals, get it.
  43. Jan 23, 2013
    Beautiful, spectacular, emotional a few of the words to describe this outstanding game. In my 13 hours of experiencing this game, this masterpiece, i was amazed at the dialogue choices, varied environments, game play, and story. way worth the price and time, buy it buy it now.
  44. Jan 19, 2013
    I was totally floored by this game. Even after hearing all the hype, I had no idea what I was in for. I'm a huge fan of story-based adventure games, and have played many of Telltale's other series. They have always been good at humor and cartoony worlds, but I questioned whether they could pull off a serious or dark game. My concerns were left shattered on the floor early on in episodeI was totally floored by this game. Even after hearing all the hype, I had no idea what I was in for. I'm a huge fan of story-based adventure games, and have played many of Telltale's other series. They have always been good at humor and cartoony worlds, but I questioned whether they could pull off a serious or dark game. My concerns were left shattered on the floor early on in episode one, and stayed there through the rest of the game, all the way to the shuddering end. This game grabs you and never lets go. As others have mentioned, I experienced many complex emotions throughout the game which I rarely feel when playing games. It was like the best thriller films, except I was involved in the choices so it felt even more personal. The writing and characters are so well done that you forget you are playing a game, and you never know what's around the bend. I feel like this game is a refreshing change, and only the beginning of what is possible in interactive storytelling if it is done right. I hope its popularity will push developers more into this front. Expand
  45. Jan 19, 2013
    This game... Wait, i can't call this just "game". Is Art, like a Dear Esther for example. New technology and high resolution graphics loses with good story. I had tears in my eyes on 2 moments in this game - end of 2 ep. and end of ep. 5. Story in this game makes it special, and it don't need any special effects, or innovacion in control. When I start playing it, i couldn't stop... Is Art,This game... Wait, i can't call this just "game". Is Art, like a Dear Esther for example. New technology and high resolution graphics loses with good story. I had tears in my eyes on 2 moments in this game - end of 2 ep. and end of ep. 5. Story in this game makes it special, and it don't need any special effects, or innovacion in control. When I start playing it, i couldn't stop... Is Art, that's more than just game. Sorry for bad English, I'm Pole.. Expand
  46. Jan 17, 2013
    Последнюю игру студии должны увидеть все фанаты одноименногоПоследнюю игру студии должны увидеть все фанаты одноименного комикса и сериала, ее по достоинству оценят и просто любители хороших квестов с глубоким драматичным сюжетом, с красочными персонажами и богатым выбором развития событий. Она как кино: только в этом кино мы сами исполняем роль сценаристов, режиссеров и главных героев. Наблюдаем за историей со стороны и изнутри. Окунаемся просто в непередаваемые впечатления от редкого примера потрясающего квеста и хищно крутимся поодаль, ожидая очередной кровавой развязки. Expand
  47. Jan 17, 2013
    Good story pinned to a point-and-click adventure game. Kind of funky but it works overall. Very intense experience. I almost cried, limited only by the fact that I am dead inside. Give to good friends or enemies you want to make cry. Imminent tears.
  48. Jan 16, 2013
    I find that the "choice" factor in the game is meaningless. The ending, no matter what you choose, is the same. The only thing that changes with these choices is the dialogue. However, the story was so good in my opinion that it deserves an eight.
  49. Jan 16, 2013
    It took me about an hour and a half to get The Walking Dead Episode 5: No Time Left running properly. Between mouse problems (fixed by changing the resolution and then changing it back), save import bugs (especially hard to solve on this Mac laptop), and the metaphorical Sword of Damocles that is review season creating a limit on how much time I can spend fixing the game, it
  50. Jan 16, 2013
    A game that teaches you how to forget what sentimentality is. When people die, they die. It's a gripping experience that tugs at your heartstrings and does a perfect job at creating emotionally investing situations, all while telling a great story of hardship and survival. The acting is very good, and you'll constantly find yourself caring about the characters or in some cases, just end upA game that teaches you how to forget what sentimentality is. When people die, they die. It's a gripping experience that tugs at your heartstrings and does a perfect job at creating emotionally investing situations, all while telling a great story of hardship and survival. The acting is very good, and you'll constantly find yourself caring about the characters or in some cases, just end up hating them. Despite a few annoying technical faults, the story will captivate you like few stories in video games, and everyone who appreciates that should play this game. Expand
  51. Jan 15, 2013
    This is NOT a video game... let's just start right there. Do not expect to be hacking and slashing or shooting your way through this game because it can hardly be classified as one, it's more like a glorified t.v. series. I am not saying that this "game" is bad by any means... it's just hardly a GAME, think a tv series you can (somewhat) interact with. It's pretty linear despite the wholeThis is NOT a video game... let's just start right there. Do not expect to be hacking and slashing or shooting your way through this game because it can hardly be classified as one, it's more like a glorified t.v. series. I am not saying that this "game" is bad by any means... it's just hardly a GAME, think a tv series you can (somewhat) interact with. It's pretty linear despite the whole "your actions affect the story blah blah" disclaimer displayed. There will things that will be presented as "choices" but you simply will not have a choice in the matter. At the end of the day you will be forced to preform specific actions because if you choose otherwise the story will not progress. However, the story is good and it truly is entertaining. I found myself playing longer than expected some nights but the riveting game play is not the blame. If you really aren't into playing video games or you want to take a break from having to actually run or jump or do actions then this is your game or if you just want a really elaborate animated story to break up the monotony of your life then this works too. I was majorly disappointed when it came down to game play seeing that it's almost obsolete. How this won game of the year over a real game with GAME PLAY substance and a well written screenplay like ME3 is totally beyond me though. I wouldn't recommend any of my friends to buy this game but I wouldn't say that it's horrible if one of them asked me my opinion on it either. Take it or leave it. Expand
  52. Jan 15, 2013
    A great game for sure, i have never seen and experienced such great story in a video game but as far as the game play is concerned its not much then just quick time events and button mashing.Its not a game of the year for me but had much fun playing through it. Its story was very addictive and i wanted to keep playing through it. A must play game for sure
  53. Jan 13, 2013
    This is a remarkable game. As some of the critics have said, this is not a brilliant piece of game design, but that's in the same way that Heavy Rain wasn't a brilliantly designed game. Nonetheless, it will remain in my mind long after most games I've ever played.

I'm writing this in the middle of the night having finished the game about an hour ago. So many images are flashing through my mind, rather than just an impression or a generic memory of shooting stuff.

If you are an adult you should play this game.
  54. Jan 13, 2013
    Admittedly I am not big fan of point and click adventure but this game made me a fan. From the graphics that was taking from the Walking Dead comics by Robert Kirkman, to the characters with seamless emotional complicated depth and the story, which gives great sense of desolation, despair as well as the will of the human spirit, hope, friendship, with many twists and shocks all round. ItAdmittedly I am not big fan of point and click adventure but this game made me a fan. From the graphics that was taking from the Walking Dead comics by Robert Kirkman, to the characters with seamless emotional complicated depth and the story, which gives great sense of desolation, despair as well as the will of the human spirit, hope, friendship, with many twists and shocks all round. It makes you feel that you are in a post apocalyptic world, this game is a triumph and worth checking it. Expand
  55. Jan 12, 2013
    The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series is a point and click adventure game set in a zombie-survival scenario based on the similarly named comics. However, instead of the usual puzzle-solving the player will often be called upon to make (moral) choices and weigh need with wants. The story continues through several chapters (5 at the time of writing, which concludes season 1) andThe Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series is a point and click adventure game set in a zombie-survival scenario based on the similarly named comics. However, instead of the usual puzzle-solving the player will often be called upon to make (moral) choices and weigh need with wants. The story continues through several chapters (5 at the time of writing, which concludes season 1) and throughout each chapter, the choices you made in a previous chapter will affect the reactions of those around you. The graphics are outdated but that's covered up quite well by the cel-shaded graphics and Telltale has done an excellent job at making the characters come across as human, not just through their facial expressions but also by the more than superb voice-acting and the excellent writing. I did not read the comics but I did watch the TV series and I hated it, it was far too long-winded and the characters were so annoying that I felt no connection to them but the videogame .. It's brilliant. The only thing that annoyed me was that sometimes the game mechanics change function. For example, at one point you'll be asked to undertake a certain action but you won't have a lot of information to go on. Naturally, you'll select the "Eye" icon which normally only causes Lee, the protagonist, to tell you what's going on so you can make informed decisions. However, in this case, it'll move the game on rather than give you more information. Although given the situation it is perfectly understandable but from a gaming point of view, it's punishing and confusing the player; possibly causing him to make a choice he did not want to make. These situations occur from time to time but you just deal with it, it's a minor grievance. A must-play for anyone who's into Point-and-Click games, zombie-scenarios and survival. A word of warning: this game is highly graphic. You might be used to a lot of violence in games but this game is more visceral than anything you've probably ever played. Expand
  56. Jan 12, 2013
    I had a great time with the walking dead. The story and characters are really good. The dialogue system works great and you get the feel that your actions actually have some real impact on the story. The adventure-game part of the game works well enough and the "puzzles" is reasonably challenging. All the action in the game is basically hidden quicktime-events and they work alright. TheyI had a great time with the walking dead. The story and characters are really good. The dialogue system works great and you get the feel that your actions actually have some real impact on the story. The adventure-game part of the game works well enough and the "puzzles" is reasonably challenging. All the action in the game is basically hidden quicktime-events and they work alright. They don't break the tension or atmosphere that the game successfully builds up but they are neither challenging or especially rewarding. The cellshaded graphics looks alright for the most part. Some parts looks pure ugly though. The game cutscenes are unskippable which would be tolerable for the first play-through if the checkpoint system didn't have a habit of placing you before those unskippable cutscenes. I cannot understand how anyone could believe that to be a good idea. The walking dead is not a traditional game and have a lot more in common with visual novels which is something that might turn a lot of people off. The game is basically a visual novel with some adventure-game parts, a lot of quicktime-events, good dialogue-system, interesting characters and an engrossing story. And i would definitely recommend this game if that sounds interesting to you. Expand
  57. Jan 12, 2013
    I had a lot of fun going through all the episodes, but I feel that too many choices you make have a very minimal impact on the plot, so there is basically no reason to play it again. Because of that, I can't give more than 7 to this game.
  58. Jan 11, 2013
    this game was awesome. for all the people complaining about how restrictive decisions are dont get on how big of a universe they would have to span up and just how much work that would be. someone would have to pay for it so it still stays cool. i believe the guys did an awesome job. in the end it was about storytelling that can be influenced. i am just not sure what i want continued forthis game was awesome. for all the people complaining about how restrictive decisions are dont get on how big of a universe they would have to span up and just how much work that would be. someone would have to pay for it so it still stays cool. i believe the guys did an awesome job. in the end it was about storytelling that can be influenced. i am just not sure what i want continued for season 2 really. the ending is hard, but its also a good one, something they could just leave be and pick off somewhere else even though i die wanting to know how it continues, but thats just like in the better stories to leave some space for imagination Expand
  59. Jan 10, 2013
    I purchased this game because I love the Walking Dead graphic novels, and because the game had good reviews. Now that I've played it, I just can't believe the reviews. I had to create an account at Metacritic just to inject a tiny bit of honesty in a sea of lies. Only foul play can explain the sheer number of hyper-positive reviews this game has. It is incredibly buggy, to the extent ofI purchased this game because I love the Walking Dead graphic novels, and because the game had good reviews. Now that I've played it, I just can't believe the reviews. I had to create an account at Metacritic just to inject a tiny bit of honesty in a sea of lies. Only foul play can explain the sheer number of hyper-positive reviews this game has. It is incredibly buggy, to the extent of being unplayable at times, the graphics are sub-par, and there isn't much of a game under there, after all is said and done. Yes, the story and the acting "pulls you in" and it can be enjoyable, but sooner or later a glitch or a crappy, hastily slapped-together animation or the lack of player input kicks you out again. This feels like cheap exploitation of a license to a popular franchise - reminds me of those lousy licensed games from the 80's, just cook up a quick, buggy excuse for a game and slap a popular name on it -> profit. The Walking Dead is not without it's merits, but overall the negatives far outweigh the positives. A bonus gripe of mine: after finishing episode 1, I was treated to a "sneak peek" that spoiled the next episode. At this point I just didn't want to play anymore. Expand
  60. Jan 8, 2013
    It's an awesome game with nice graphic and a exceptional sound, prooving this in every second when you play it.But the best part is the amazing story.
    This game give a new face to point and click games.
  61. Jan 8, 2013
    Having finally beaten all 5 episodes, I can easily see why people would think this is a game of the year candidate. However, I had a few issues that kept it from being my GotY. Frankly, for a game that's supposed to be solely based on the decisions you make, very few decisions throughout the story actually affected the overall outcome of the story, even when they made you think that someHaving finally beaten all 5 episodes, I can easily see why people would think this is a game of the year candidate. However, I had a few issues that kept it from being my GotY. Frankly, for a game that's supposed to be solely based on the decisions you make, very few decisions throughout the story actually affected the overall outcome of the story, even when they made you think that some of the biggest choices you would have to make turned out not to even matter a bit. However the game does quite a few things well and the best thing I can relate it too is Heavy Rain. The story the game tells is a wonderful one and, even for people who aren't into the Walking Dead franchise that much like I was, they will get so much out of this game. I really felt for the characters and some of the decisions they had to make. Losing any of the characters, even some of the smaller ones, affected me greatly. I haven't felt this emotional about a game in a long time and that speaks volumes to me. This game has made me want to get into the entire franchise now and, even with that tiny issue I said before, this is easily one of the best games I've played in a long time. However, don't expect to do much going into it because this game is basically here to tell a story and that's it. If you can get over that, then you'll love this game to death. I wouldn't call it my GotY, but it's easily in the top 5 this year and it's something I'll be really keeping an eye on when season 2 rolls around. Expand
  62. Jan 7, 2013
    This game is perfect concerning the emotions it transports through the story and the decisions. I don't know the comics or TV series and I was completely satisfied with the outcome. There are just three issues (two minor, one major) that I didn't like about the game after playing it once (and I'll play it again, of course): First thing is that sometimes the decisions you made in the pastThis game is perfect concerning the emotions it transports through the story and the decisions. I don't know the comics or TV series and I was completely satisfied with the outcome. There are just three issues (two minor, one major) that I didn't like about the game after playing it once (and I'll play it again, of course): First thing is that sometimes the decisions you made in the past episodes aren't reflected correctly in the "What happened in the last episode"-scenes and even some dialogues didn't reflect what I was actually doing or saying either. The second minor issue is that it's way too easy. I like adventure games but it seemed like it had this "casual game" feeling: no real item combination or usage (only if the icon for the item appeared), low interaction possibilities with the "useless" environment and these limitations make it easy to succeed.

The major problem is that the last episode is relatively short and feels like they wanted to end it quick because all story content has been told. I'm looking forward to a sequel. It deserves one for real.

I enjoyed it and I will enjoy it again when I play it a second time.

For those who didn't like the content or don't care much about it: Think of this game as if it was you in this situation and what you would do. Think of you choosing who should survive and who shouldn't and then again think about the people you wanted to save but couldn't. This is such an intense feeling you get. And about the ones complaining of the low impact of choices: You can choose but it's not said that all your choices are gonna lead to something that is inevitable. I was surprised really often which makes this game more thrilling. Another fact is that it's no complete game split in episodes. Usually, they didn't even get started working on episode five when the first comes out and then have to rely on what happened before in all episodes. If you had more high impact choices, you had more spreading content which might confuse the story telling later on for sure and making it very complicated to code and implement in a logical way. Everything that a story-driven game needs is one ending. I mean, what would you do with more endings anyways? It's better to have a really good one than eight so-so endings. I played some Bioware and Lionhead titles and none of these games had choices that felt so deep emotional at all, even though they had huge impact. You either know a choice is good or bad, but The Walking Dead proves that some of these choices are all bad, maybe risky and you're choosing the better option.

Maybe it's better not to only play through the game but to think about what you're actually playing. You might find it more entertaining then.
  63. Jan 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start? Of course with the story. That is the core of the success of this game and rightly. Story, characters are amazing and I honestly didn't expect that. Next thing is the visual side of the game. I think the style fitted the game perfectly. Also the sound/voice-acting is very well done, especially the music. I love minimalistic music, not to put it everywhere like it is in every game/movie nowadays. Reminded me so much of the use of music in the TV series Deadwood. So why not full 10/10? It is the "premise" or let's say what the game promises; your decisions will matter. Unfortunately they won't. It is just a smoke and mirrors. And with this falls down the gameplay. Tough decisions are not so tough after you realize it doesn't matter that much or at all how you decide. Ending is the same no matter how you played it. The choices have a little impact; few lines alternated and that's all. If only they didn't advocate this aspect of the game which is non-existent it would be way better, but marketing and promoting is another thing. Either way the game is amazing and I understand all those 10/10 ratings but for me it was just slightly behind. Bottom line: if you like deep and emotional story that is not easily predictable and want to try adventure with easy puzzles - get this game. Expand
  64. Jan 6, 2013
    This is one game I wish I could delete from my steam account entirely. The fact that this won any plaudits is simply a reflection of the deplorable state of the gaming industry. The game is sickening at every level. Not only is the horror raw and gory and without redeeming value the writing is atrocious, the plotting bogus, and the characters as phoney as a twenty-three dollar bill. TheThis is one game I wish I could delete from my steam account entirely. The fact that this won any plaudits is simply a reflection of the deplorable state of the gaming industry. The game is sickening at every level. Not only is the horror raw and gory and without redeeming value the writing is atrocious, the plotting bogus, and the characters as phoney as a twenty-three dollar bill. The only aspect of this game that deserve mention is the voice acting, which is top of the line. I could explain all my reasons for not liking this game in full detail but honestly I don't want to give it any more of my time. I bought it for less than ten dollars and I still want my money back. All I have to say to all of you people who rated this game highly is that developers are going to give you want you want and give it to you good and hard. You buy crap, you're going to get sold more crap. It's as simple as that. Expand
  65. Jan 6, 2013
    This is an amazing experience. It's like being the hero of a movie and your decisions will have an effect on how the story develops. The characters are mesmerizing and it is really hard to not care about them.
    My only complaint would be that the game is a little short but there will be more seasons coming out.
    Hard to find games these days that are so engaging, once I started playing I
    Hard to find games these days that are so engaging, once I started playing I couldn't put it down... worth every penny!
  66. Jan 6, 2013
    This game is definitely worth the honour of being game of the year. I literally exclaimed out "AWESOME" or "NO" several times while playing the game! I was so taken back by what was happening and what I experienced during the game, I can't wait for the next 5 as the ending was immense :) Buy and play this game, you will not regret it!
  67. Jan 5, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. The installment model of distribution bothered me at first as I wanted to continue on with the story. In the end however, this actually built excitement for the game because the tale was so excellent. Even for those who are not into horror or apocalypse themes,I would recommend this game. The zombies are simply obstacles that are part ofThis is one of the best games I have ever played. The installment model of distribution bothered me at first as I wanted to continue on with the story. In the end however, this actually built excitement for the game because the tale was so excellent. Even for those who are not into horror or apocalypse themes,I would recommend this game. The zombies are simply obstacles that are part of the larger story which revolves around the people in the game. I won't leave any details (spoilers) but I think most players who enjoy a story driven approach will love this game. The themes explored are adult- redemption, loss, suffering and how people might behave when everything they have ever known comes to an end. Expand
  68. Koo
    Jan 5, 2013
    Having played all 5 games in the series, I am confident in awarding it my Game of the Year 2012. With its unique visual style and compelling storyline, The Walking Dead pulls you in and does not let go. Curious how your decisions compare with those of players around the world? The game lets you know at the end of every episode how your decisions measure up. Don't have 20 hours freeHaving played all 5 games in the series, I am confident in awarding it my Game of the Year 2012. With its unique visual style and compelling storyline, The Walking Dead pulls you in and does not let go. Curious how your decisions compare with those of players around the world? The game lets you know at the end of every episode how your decisions measure up. Don't have 20 hours free time every week? No problem. Each episode is 2-3 hours long. Stop reading this review and TRY THIS GAME already!! Expand
  69. Jan 5, 2013
    This is the best story based game ever released.Definitely GOTY 2012 for me.I haven't had so much fun and i felt like i was really ''living'' in that world.Everything you do have consequences later.
  70. Jan 4, 2013
    I have been playing computer and video games for the last 25+ years. In all that time, I have never once had a game illicit a serious emotional response, but this game did thrice: anger when I found what a stranger had done, frustration when I found someone in our party had lied, and regret when I realized I had to let a friend down. And this is the spoiler-free version of the review.I have been playing computer and video games for the last 25+ years. In all that time, I have never once had a game illicit a serious emotional response, but this game did thrice: anger when I found what a stranger had done, frustration when I found someone in our party had lied, and regret when I realized I had to let a friend down. And this is the spoiler-free version of the review. After playing this game, you'll no longer wonder why Hollywood is losing out to the video games industry. These are stories *worth* telling. Expand
  71. Jan 4, 2013
    choices dont matter jack, the games a steaming pile. jittery, buggy, and a complete croc of s***. i wish i never spent good hard earned cash on this crock
  72. Jan 4, 2013
    You know what? I don't care for many of the flaws that plague this game. All those little annoyances are nothing, nothing to detract you from this master of story driven games. Obviously, video games are not exactly high regarded when it comes to the storyline and yet This game has some of the best set of narrative, characters, and dialog you can find in the industry. But is it a game,You know what? I don't care for many of the flaws that plague this game. All those little annoyances are nothing, nothing to detract you from this master of story driven games. Obviously, video games are not exactly high regarded when it comes to the storyline and yet This game has some of the best set of narrative, characters, and dialog you can find in the industry. But is it a game, really? I see it as more of an experience. An interactive tv series, if you will. Gameplay elements are rather thin in this game, like in most point and click adventure games. The chocies you make are difficult, and even if they don't have too much effect on the outcome of the story(from what we have seen at the end of the 5 chapters), they still change characters behavior and dialog along the way. But it doesn't matter at all, in my opinion. The choices you make still dictate how you will feel at the end of the game. Have I done the right thing here? could I have saved this person if I did that? if you are making choices without caring too much because it's "just a game", then your experience will be the same. The characters are outstanding, through voice acting and choices they make, this is as far as you can get from the "black and white" storyline that's found in most videogames these days. If you invest yourself into the narrative and characters, and really think about what's the right thing to do(in your eyes), you could find yourself drawn into one of the best games of the year, or interactive movies, or however you wanna call it. It really doesn't matter one bit. Expand
  73. Jan 2, 2013
    There is no game-play - ok you have to move the mouse and press a few buttons now and then, the rest of the time you are just along for the ride. I am the kind of person who hates cut-scenes, so it takes a little getting used to, being an observer .. Some of the comments about this not actually being a game have some validity, however it is interactive to an extent. As a game, as definedThere is no game-play - ok you have to move the mouse and press a few buttons now and then, the rest of the time you are just along for the ride. I am the kind of person who hates cut-scenes, so it takes a little getting used to, being an observer .. Some of the comments about this not actually being a game have some validity, however it is interactive to an extent. As a game, as defined by being physically involved in pressing buttons as action plays out on the screen, this would get a 3 or 4 out of 10. But it's not aiming for this market - this is an emotional journey. As much as I yearned for better game-play and deeper interactivity with the environment and more action, I also respected the fact that I can always boot up Left for Dead anytime I want. This is something different - and for that reason alone, it's worth your time. Expand
  74. Jan 2, 2013
    I believe this game is fantastic, and I have many reasons to support this. In this game you make choices, these choices have an outcome on the game itself, as the slogan of the game is "this game is tailored by the way you play." Some people are criticizing this game for having a "illusion of choice." This is partially true as some of the choices in the game have the same outcome eitherI believe this game is fantastic, and I have many reasons to support this. In this game you make choices, these choices have an outcome on the game itself, as the slogan of the game is "this game is tailored by the way you play." Some people are criticizing this game for having a "illusion of choice." This is partially true as some of the choices in the game have the same outcome either way. However, the majority of the choices have different outcomes. The storyline is the best game story I have had the pleasure of playing in a long time. If you are thinking about playing this game you really need to follow the story well to get the best out of it. The game lasts for about 12 hours on average, a pretty decent amount of playtime. You will probably replay it to make different choices to the ones you made before. People are criticizing this game due to it's graphics, when they should not. The game takes on a cartoony art style, as it should. Many people would nowadays just class a cartoony art style as "bad graphics." Please do not listen to the negative reviews here, especially ones about the graphics. I thoroughly enjoyed this game and frankly cannot wait until February when they release The Walking Dead Season 2. Excellent title, my game of 2012. Expand
  75. Dec 31, 2012
    The voice acting, character design, level design, all great. Quick time events are annoying. Lack of inverted mouse or gamepad controls makes the few gunfights difficult. Pathetic that inverted controls are not an option.
    However the game got a bad score from me for really just one reason. Player decisions do NOT make a difference, despite what is constantly prompted to players on-screen. The problem here is that this is the key feature of a point and click adventure like this. Take any major event in the game for example. Typically there will be a series of 6 to 10 dialogue or action sequences, each with up to 4 choices. That's great in theory, but your selections make no difference on how the story unfolds. **** is going to unfold how the writers want it no matter Lee's actions. Sure it may seem like you have choice at times, such as choosing between saving one persons life over another, or choosing to kill someone or not, but by the next scene it makes no difference. Those are only a few canned events. You'll still be headed down the same linear path. Nothing dynamic about it. There was more freedom of decision with consequence playing Leisure suit Larry 15 years ago.
  76. Dec 31, 2012
    After hearing about this game for a few weeks and playing the demo, I finally decided to buy it off Steam after Episode 2 had been released, and I never regretted the purchase for a second. First of all, the story, it follows a man called Lee Everett as he gets tossed into the world filled with the undead, and meets up with Clementine, a little girl who was at home with a babysitter whenAfter hearing about this game for a few weeks and playing the demo, I finally decided to buy it off Steam after Episode 2 had been released, and I never regretted the purchase for a second. First of all, the story, it follows a man called Lee Everett as he gets tossed into the world filled with the undead, and meets up with Clementine, a little girl who was at home with a babysitter when the dead started walking the streets. What follows is five fantastic Episodes with lots of different characters, since I don't want to give anything away I won't say any more than this. The gameplay is based around a few different mechanics such as occasionally moving around and clicking on objects, quick time events, dialogue and shooting scenes once in a while. This limits the player interaction with the game to allow a higher focus on story, the one issue I had with the gameplay was the movement, as it seemed a little difficult to get used to at first, but after an hour or two of playing it starts to feel better. The dialogue choices add a lot more repeatability to the Episodes, as anything you say can have an effect on the story and how characters interact with you. The art style is sort of like a Graphic Novel, kind of like Borderlands. I feel this is a nice change because it allows the environments to be more colourful or very dull if the situation requires it, this makes it look very unique as not many games share this same kind of art style. Overall, the game is fantastic, by far the best game I have played in a long time, never mind this year, and due to the Episode structure of the game it allowed for more suspense to build up, I had a lot of fun talking to people about what we thought would happen in the next Episode of the game, much like we would on the Walking Dead TV show. If you really enjoy a good story, look no further than this game, you will LOVE IT. Expand
  77. Dec 30, 2012
    Fantastic game. One of the best i ever played. Its so immersive that we become Lee, always trying to save Clementine. The Finale is great and rational. I cant see a sequel to this game. Its perfect the way it is since the beginning to the end closing superbly. A must have!
  78. Dec 30, 2012
    Excellent story and character development. But a very limited gameplay, filled with quick time events, and some serious design flaws.
    The graphics are poor, with plenty of low resolution textures, stiff character animations and bad facial expressions.

Only worth for the story and characters. The rest is a pain to watch and play.
  79. Dec 30, 2012
    A sad story bundled with brilliant gameplay. Don't believe the ones who criticize this great game. It is based on the Walking Dead Comic series, which the TV series is based off of. The choices you make effect the game. You can't always be a saint, and have to make very tough decisions. It's art that is a video game, and it'll manage to make even the hardest of stones, cry.
  80. Dec 29, 2012
    Outdated graphics that should stay on a mobile platform, like the iPhone/iPad version of the game (which is pretty much the same). Storyline is OK, good only to pass time trying to figure out what happens next out of curiosity. This game is created and targeted towards an audience that pretty much plays no video games. Dumbed down actions and key presses gets old. If you are a fan of theOutdated graphics that should stay on a mobile platform, like the iPhone/iPad version of the game (which is pretty much the same). Storyline is OK, good only to pass time trying to figure out what happens next out of curiosity. This game is created and targeted towards an audience that pretty much plays no video games. Dumbed down actions and key presses gets old. If you are a fan of the TV series, there goes why the high rating, otherwise from a comparative stand point of PC/Console games in 2012, there is simply not much to praise about. Expand
  81. Dec 29, 2012
    I can't believe the high scores this "game" has received. It's not a game at all! This "game" took three hours to complete, and I used the mouse/keyboard a total of twenty times. Basically it's a movie that you're allowed to use the mouse in, and that barely does anything. So, it goes something like this: dialogue thirty minutes, click mouse, dialogue thirty minutes, click mouse, etc etcI can't believe the high scores this "game" has received. It's not a game at all! This "game" took three hours to complete, and I used the mouse/keyboard a total of twenty times. Basically it's a movie that you're allowed to use the mouse in, and that barely does anything. So, it goes something like this: dialogue thirty minutes, click mouse, dialogue thirty minutes, click mouse, etc etc etc, "game" over. I wish I wouldn't have wasted my money! Expand
  82. Dec 28, 2012
    Having originally purchased the game without doing much research, I was surprised to find that it was an adventure game that takes place predominantly through cinematics or scripted conversations. Normally this would disappoint, but the story and depth of character is so strong in this game that it is absolutely my game of the year and an experience I will remember for the rest of my life.Having originally purchased the game without doing much research, I was surprised to find that it was an adventure game that takes place predominantly through cinematics or scripted conversations. Normally this would disappoint, but the story and depth of character is so strong in this game that it is absolutely my game of the year and an experience I will remember for the rest of my life.

As a 25 yr old male, I could hardly believe the moment that I burst into tears in the final act. It is as moving as any film and more engaging than any game that has come before it. You do not just feel the decisions that Lee makes as the protagonist, you feel as though you are standing in his shoes, and every decision you make is helping shape your journey through the zombie infested streets. If you buy one game in the next 5 years, I would suggest this one be near the top of your list of considerations.
  83. Dec 28, 2012
    Great art and a great look throughout the game. Story is well written and most of the instructions are well done, few are lacking direction though. Sometimes the reaction doesn't fit what you thought it should have been...
    Sorry, but this "game" could have been done in flash and put on Kong for free. Not enough "meat" for me being a gamer, this is an interactive comic. However, I am using it to introduce my wife into games as she is a big Walking Dead fan.

I give it a 7 as it really is an overpriced interactive book, pick it up on sale.
  84. Dec 28, 2012
    good game nice story and nice emotion too. but not good in grafic really much but however game isnt good about grapic at all but story should have more ending maybe Lee survive or something change
    more than example help dock or someguy that girl and die in chapter 3 NICE
  85. Dec 27, 2012
    An unexpected tour de force. It's like a classic Goosebumps Create-Your-Own-Adventure in real-time, with beautiful animation and facial expressions and an incredible plot to boot.
  86. Dec 27, 2012
    I have to agree with what many of the critics and other users have said. The game is beautifully written, and remains true to Kirkman's universe. It is emotionally gripping, and balances the story expertly between the desolation and intensity of a post-apocalyptic world. The visual design is highly stylized, and creates some wonderful set pieces. I should preface my criticisms by notingI have to agree with what many of the critics and other users have said. The game is beautifully written, and remains true to Kirkman's universe. It is emotionally gripping, and balances the story expertly between the desolation and intensity of a post-apocalyptic world. The visual design is highly stylized, and creates some wonderful set pieces. I should preface my criticisms by noting that I really enjoying the format of these narrative point-and-click adventures; Some of my early favourites included Myst and the original Monkey Island series. I found that, although immersive and adeptly convincing, my choices often had little effect on the broader outcome of the adventure. The consequences of a poor decision were often minimal and only swapped small pieces of dialogue. This often served to break the experience for me, and I felt as though I wasn't playing a game as much as I was reading a one-shot story arc in the Walking Dead comic book series. The limited puzzle-like content was excruciatingly simple, and felt served up piping hot.
    To cut my ramblings short; Wonderful story, a must-play for fans, and nothing I regret spending time on. I wouldn't suggest approaching it like a true video game, more of an interactive animated series, and at that it TRULY excels.
  87. Dec 27, 2012
    Wow. Just... Wow.

Wow. Just... Wow.

The Walking Dead is one of Telltales most amazing games, the second that first loading screen finished I was hooked, the emotional ties you make with the characters, from beginning to end you will make decisions that will affect you and have you tearing up a bit, the environments, characters, the story, the music, all of it. PERFECT. I would recommend this game to anyone who likes a story that will have you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end.

10/10 for me, I will certainly give this another run through.
  88. Dec 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is definitely one of the best adventures/action games I've played in a long time! The story is awesome and the atmosphere makes you sit at the edge of your chair! Great adaptation of the Walking Dead comic and very nice gameplay. I suggest playing with all guides on though cause playing without them seems like too much pixel hunting. I strongly suggest this game to everyone who wants to witness a good horror story ! Expand
  89. Dec 26, 2012
    This game has you emotionally engaged on a level similar to the Walking Dead series, if not even more so because of the length of it. (It's shorter so the 'big' events happen more regularly than in the tv series). The last time a game has had me so emotionally captured was Final Fantasy 10.
  90. Dec 25, 2012
    The story telling ability displayed by tattletale games is nothing short of incredible, the player almost instantly cares for the characters. If more games like this existed the book industry would be in trouble.
  91. Dec 25, 2012
    I have never played a game that can make you feel everything there is out there. A masterpiece. That ending alone deserves 10/10. Damn it, I cried like hell!
  92. Dec 25, 2012
    It's the best game i've ever played! its worth game of the year awesome story! Awesome graphics/game i really enjoyed every second i played the game! Best game EVER!!

Nice work telltale! I hope season 2 coming soon :/
  93. Dec 25, 2012
    I loved this game, and the fact I am watching/playing it with my wife is a sweet bonus, could use a little bit more action scenes as they are far in between.
  94. Dec 24, 2012
    I am truly flabbergasted. lost for words. this game is everything that I've wanted for the longest time..I cant tell you for how long I've crazed an intellectually stimulating horror/mystery game that taps into the darkest corners of human nature...this game is beautifully done..there are times when you literally want to just pause and appreciate for just a moment longer how beautiful theI am truly flabbergasted. lost for words. this game is everything that I've wanted for the longest time..I cant tell you for how long I've crazed an intellectually stimulating horror/mystery game that taps into the darkest corners of human nature...this game is beautifully done..there are times when you literally want to just pause and appreciate for just a moment longer how beautiful the art styles are...the lighting director did a fantastic job at creating dramatic effect...

this game is NOT superficially dramatic...i cant emphasis it enough there are very few things in life that are able to make you truly feel empathy..to truly suspend reality and become thoroughly engrossed in a story line is something that is getting harder and harder to do...this game is able to do that and so much more..

please for the sake of expanding your own intellectual horizons BUY THIS GAME.

95. Dec 24, 2012
    If you love the TV series, you'll love the game. The story is interesting since you're the main character and what you do effects the game along the way. Some may not like the game due to the short play of each episode and would have to wait and then pay for a new episode. For me, that is the case. I love playing the game, but I'm not that keen on getting new episodes as they come out.If you love the TV series, you'll love the game. The story is interesting since you're the main character and what you do effects the game along the way. Some may not like the game due to the short play of each episode and would have to wait and then pay for a new episode. For me, that is the case. I love playing the game, but I'm not that keen on getting new episodes as they come out. Better to wait for bundle offers and then buy them in packs. All-in-all, it's a good game. Not for everyone. Expand
  96. Dec 24, 2012
    Очень интересный и проработанный сюжет переплетается сОчень интересный и проработанный сюжет переплетается с отвратительным и скучным геймплеем,но за счет сюжета игра проходится на одном дыхании. Expand
  97. Dec 23, 2012
    Damn. Yah got me. This may be the first time I've ever gotten emotional playing a game. it's true. But hey - if the characters and stories don't get to you then you must be a walker your self! The Walking Dead comic and TV show give the same emotional pathos as the game with the same amount of gore and potty mouth to boot! It's a clever concept that allows you - the player- to chooseDamn. Yah got me. This may be the first time I've ever gotten emotional playing a game. it's true. But hey - if the characters and stories don't get to you then you must be a walker your self! The Walking Dead comic and TV show give the same emotional pathos as the game with the same amount of gore and potty mouth to boot! It's a clever concept that allows you - the player- to choose the path of the narrative. It's a very well written script that adheres to the choices you make very well. There are a few times that your common sense wants the narrative to go where you think it should but in order to complete an episode you have to over-ride your impulses. Another small drawback is the fact that you can't forward the dialogue. That got annoying quick. The artwork from the comics flows beautifully, the foley work sounds fantastic and the voice-actors are fantastic. They really give such depth to all the characters and make everything they do so vital which are always well worth investing time and emotion. It's a rare thing indeed in a crazy world of games that just ask you to hit a button. Special kudos to Melissa Hutchison as the voice of Clementine who made me bawl over her... Expand
  98. Dec 23, 2012
    In a world filled with zombie games that rely on hordes of zombies, and "survival" elements, The Walking Dead was a welcome change of pace. I'll admit, I was wary going in, because I hadn't heard a thing about it except from friends. On top of that, I had no idea if it would stay good throughout all five episodes. But that's exactly what Telltale Games did. They made a work of art insteadIn a world filled with zombie games that rely on hordes of zombies, and "survival" elements, The Walking Dead was a welcome change of pace. I'll admit, I was wary going in, because I hadn't heard a thing about it except from friends. On top of that, I had no idea if it would stay good throughout all five episodes. But that's exactly what Telltale Games did. They made a work of art instead of a video game. The comic book art style was absolutely fantastic, the voice acting was top notch, and the story was...well I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the best video game stories I've ever encountered. Don't go into the Walking Dead expecting a lot of combat, or a fast pace. It's a very slow building game, but that's what makes it fantastic. It actually takes the time to develop the characters, actually make you like them or hate them. That's what makes some of the deaths really...tragic. But there are some combat sections, and they're simple and quite fun. This isn't just your average zombie apocalypse game. This is truly a masterpiece. I just hope Season Two can reach the ridiculously high bar that Season One has set. Expand
  99. Dec 23, 2012
    I'm not even going to try to qualify this review with an in-depth analysis or critique, because frankly I don't think that would help you as a potential buyer of this entertainment.

This game is a masterpiece. They have taken a ridiculous scenario (zombie apocalypse) and turned it into something heart-wrenching, ethically charged and mature. The characters are real, the gameplay is fun, the choices matter and afford real replayability, but more than that, this game makes you stop and think.

Don't let the zombie apocalypse setting fool you. This game is not about a zombie apocalypse, it's about the human condition.
  100. Dec 22, 2012
    Definitely one of the best games of the year, hands down! The storytelling was amazing, the voice acting was great (with the exception of Clementine for me, but perhaps that's how she was supposed to be and it just went over my head), the graphics weren't top-notch but they captured that comic book feel, and the interface was pretty good. Sometimes I felt the point-and-clickDefinitely one of the best games of the year, hands down! The storytelling was amazing, the voice acting was great (with the exception of Clementine for me, but perhaps that's how she was supposed to be and it just went over my head), the graphics weren't top-notch but they captured that comic book feel, and the interface was pretty good. Sometimes I felt the point-and-click quick-time-events were a bit clunky. Sometimes I was clicking, multiple times, on the designated area, but nothing happened. Also the lack of free saving during the game and the inability to skip dialogue scenes was a bit irritating. The game is definitely not action-oriented. It's all story and character. But each episode makes you make some very hard decisions and the game takes those choices into account as the world moves on. Some choices have higher values than others, and you sometimes learn that the hard way, and sometimes the choices you make seem like they would have a bigger impact but then they don't... That's why I gave the game a 9/10. Overall, it's an amazing game that deserves some of the highest praise, but there are just a few things that stick out that keep it from being perfect. It's more inconsistencies than anything... But if you get it, and you don't mind doing the story/puzzle thing instead of shooting 50,000,000 zombies in the face, then you'll definitely enjoy the ride! Expand

It’s not perfect but The Walking Dead is one of the most important advances in interactive fiction for a generation, with some of the most memorable characters of any video game.
  2. Mar 15, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a serious, solid, but clay-footed work; in truth, it wouldn't stand out from the crowd if video game storytelling wasn't so impoverished to begin with.
  3. Feb 10, 2013
    A test of your moral fortitude in a world that's gone to the dogs. [March 2013, p.76]