8.7

1. Feb 19, 2013
    This has to be one of the best stories in a game that I've ever played. While the characters are very average, they are just regular every day people, the interaction you have with them creates an attachment, and emotional bond that you can't have with film or books. This is the first game that has had me tear up during its saddest moment. So because of that alone, this has to be theThis has to be one of the best stories in a game that I've ever played. While the characters are very average, they are just regular every day people, the interaction you have with them creates an attachment, and emotional bond that you can't have with film or books. This is the first game that has had me tear up during its saddest moment. So because of that alone, this has to be the best, most immersing story I've ever experienced in a game. This is definitely worth playing. Expand
  2. Jan 4, 2013
    I have been playing computer and video games for the last 25+ years. In all that time, I have never once had a game illicit a serious emotional response, but this game did thrice: anger when I found what a stranger had done, frustration when I found someone in our party had lied, and regret when I realized I had to let a friend down. And this is the spoiler-free version of the review.I have been playing computer and video games for the last 25+ years. In all that time, I have never once had a game illicit a serious emotional response, but this game did thrice: anger when I found what a stranger had done, frustration when I found someone in our party had lied, and regret when I realized I had to let a friend down. And this is the spoiler-free version of the review. After playing this game, you'll no longer wonder why Hollywood is losing out to the video games industry. These are stories *worth* telling. Expand
  3. Feb 1, 2013
    This is the best game I've ever played.
    This is the best game I've ever played.
    The game has a nice comic style, even if it sometimes looks a bit weird. The gameplay is not really outstanding, but this game does not need it, if you can call it ''game''. It's more of a historical narrative with quick-time events. And this story makes the game so great. The story, which is constructed in a structure in 5 episodes, is told so incredible. I believe that this experience I will not soon forget.
  4. Dec 19, 2012
    Well, my entry into metacritic was a 0 score for a lousy game, so I figured I better balance this with another honest assessment of how a game is done right. The Walking Dead is an absolute pleasure for the zombie enthusiast who also has some degree of maturity and intellect. What impressed me most of this game was its ability to, perhaps very unintentionally, teach the audience trulyWell, my entry into metacritic was a 0 score for a lousy game, so I figured I better balance this with another honest assessment of how a game is done right. The Walking Dead is an absolute pleasure for the zombie enthusiast who also has some degree of maturity and intellect. What impressed me most of this game was its ability to, perhaps very unintentionally, teach the audience truly the consequences of our actions in this game and in real life AND the importance of simply being nice to everyone as best as you can. If you are truly paying attention, you can walk away from this game with these two lessons and be a better person in real life from playing this game.

In regards to the graphics: great style, nothing was a turn off in this vein- although it did remind me some of borderlands without steroid muscles in terms of art. Bugs: yes this game has them and some wonky camera angles sometimes that throws you off here and there- but this I believe was made by a smaller design team and although it has that unpolished indie feel to it, it also has that great feeling of, 'we love our product that we worked very hard on,' feel too.

The story: well, it has been a LONG time since I had the pleasure of a video game that does something right in terms of a story: a bizarre conflict where we test the characters and see how they would all respond in the worst and best of times. There is however no illusion that you the gamer are on a roller coaster ride and it becomes very clear that you are NOT in the driver's side, you are a passenger the whole way through to the horrible conclusion.

This fatalistic outlook is key to this game, as it gives you the dread and somber morose feeling necessary for such a- piece of art in video game form.

My only beef would be- episode 2 was way too predictable- pun intended...

here is a little example of how badly things can go:
  5. Dec 11, 2012
    Video games are art, or are they? This is a question that has been floating around the industry for years but has never truly been taken serious until this generation of gaming. In many ways it really comes down to how grounded your opinion of art is. Is art free form to you? Is it something that can only be achieved via deep principals, or is it simply anything and everything that isVideo games are art, or are they? This is a question that has been floating around the industry for years but has never truly been taken serious until this generation of gaming. In many ways it really comes down to how grounded your opinion of art is. Is art free form to you? Is it something that can only be achieved via deep principals, or is it simply anything and everything that is created as a form of expression? While I am not going to further this argument with this review, I will say this. If video games have the ability to be art simply through story telling and tapping at the spine of our emotions then Telltale Expand
  6. Dec 20, 2012
    As long as you are the sort of person intelligent enough to realize that First and third person action games are not the only form of video game, this will become your favorite game of all time. Perhaps best described as an interactive story, Telltale's The Walking Dead became the masterpiece of a story so many of us know it for because its ability to make you feel empathy for itsAs long as you are the sort of person intelligent enough to realize that First and third person action games are not the only form of video game, this will become your favorite game of all time. Perhaps best described as an interactive story, Telltale's The Walking Dead became the masterpiece of a story so many of us know it for because its ability to make you feel empathy for its characters. Every character of the Walking Dead feels and responds like a real person. When a character dies, as they often will, you feel like **** Every death in that game is a terrible thing that will tear at your soul. Why play it then? For Clementine. For that one last precious thing you're fighting for. You play as Lee Everett, and once upon a time, you killed a man. The apocalypse seems almost too good to be true, at first - a second chance to for yourself. But as the story progresses it becomes more and more obvious that what's important isn't fighting for your own survival, but fighting for the survival of the people you come to care about so deeply as the story progresses. Expand
  7. Jul 16, 2013
    this is simply one of the greatest games I have ever played. Telltale proves why it is the king of adventure games
    pros: Clem and Lee
    -Clem in general -some of the most memorable characters ever -you will cry at parts -very strong emotional impact (i could not play for a week over the guilt of the death of a character) -the ending is amazing -interesting and realistic puzzles and
    pros: Clem and Lee
    -Clem in general
    -some of the most memorable characters ever
    -you will cry at parts
    -the ending is amazing
    -interesting and realistic puzzles and choices
    - a choice in episode 2 will matter for the rest of the game
    - true to the show and comic it is based on
    -figuring out which characters will be friends and which will be enemies (friend for me=Kenny enemy for me=Lily and Larry)
    cons
    -the ending while beautiful made me question "what was the point of this story"
    -puzzles
    -some choices don't really affect anything
    this game rises above its flaws and deserves twice as much of the praise it has gotten which is quite alot
  8. Jul 17, 2013
    There is only one Series that's having a better Story: Bioshock. And then comes The Walking Dead by Telltale Games. Im absolutely in love with this game. The story is sad, amazing, awesome, funny, etc... at the same time!
    The characters are absolute convincing and Clem is the best kid i've ever seen in a movie/game. Shes so cute and after several time you feel like her dad (i know its kinda weird...)
    Also the soundtrack is AWESOME, it brings in the perfect atmosphere.
    This game made me close crying sometimes
    10 out of 10 an absolutely amazing game, who dont plays it misses something big!
  9. Jul 11, 2013
    The border between film and video game becomes blurry, and the result is a unique interactive experience. This is a game about the choices that define who you are, and how the story adapts to those choices.
  10. Jun 12, 2013
    The graphics, storytelling, scriptwriting, voice acting and characters in this game are amazing!

You can relate to the characters and their personalities do grow throughout the story. The moral choices you have to make really influence your further interactions with you fellow survivors and to some degree how the story evolves. Every action has a reaction and some moral choices are key to how the story goes on. Every scene, every gesture on the characters face, every interaction between Lee (your character) and the other survivors is meaningful and properly written. True storytelling in games redefined.
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    A brilliant game, thrilling captivating story, emotionally engaging characters. The game plays like an interactive movie, the gameplay is not very ambitious, the replay value may be next to nonexistant but the writing makes the experience truly worthwhile.
  12. Oct 6, 2013
    I'm not a big fan of zombie games but the story and the impact you can have on the story is that good it kept enticing me to come back for more. I can't wait to see what more is in store for the second season of The Walking Dead.
  13. Jun 29, 2016
    Great game,great story! If you played this I'm sure you can't say that it's a bad game. You have hard decisions to take but in the end you will see the face of every character you met. The game follows the evolution of a little girl found and raised by someone who helps it untill death. Also both seasons follows in main among others the evolution of Clementine(main character) from a littleGreat game,great story! If you played this I'm sure you can't say that it's a bad game. You have hard decisions to take but in the end you will see the face of every character you met. The game follows the evolution of a little girl found and raised by someone who helps it untill death. Also both seasons follows in main among others the evolution of Clementine(main character) from a little helpless girl to a real survivor, all settled in an apocalyptic zombie world. By the way I think the game could make a little psychological profile of yours using the decisions taken in some circumstances. (10/10 for me) Expand
  14. Dec 27, 2013
    This is one of the greatest feats in storytelling in the video game medium. You emotionally connect with main characters Lee and Clementine and your choices always feel like they matter. Point and click games may turn people off but I implore anyone who enjoys a good story to give The Walking Dead a chance. Its probably the only game that has ever got me close to crying at the end.
  15. Nov 9, 2016
    This is a great game and a turning point in how interactive fiction is made now.

Two most important things that made it so good are: - relation between two main characters, Lee and Clementine, an adult taking care of a child, feeling responsibility for someone, gives great framework for emotional engagement - something rather hard for me to get in computer game - game made really bold

Two most important things that made it so good are:
    - game made really bold step to depart from gameplay being a hindrance to the story. You see, in most games, gameplay (being fight in rpg and inventory puzzles in adventure games) is something that slows your progress through the story. This somewhat masks the fact that most stories are written very poorly (even in games critically acclaimed as having Great Writing - Mass Effect, Pillars of Eternity). When mixed with some shooting or spellcasting it makes an "ok" experience. Walking Dead has a good (not great) story that is not watered down by "do some repetitive boring stuff in order to get another part as a reward". Result is well above average.

There are probably better games in similar spirit now (Life is Strange) but still this one is well worth your time. Enjoyed it a lot even though I hate TV series.
  16. Nov 28, 2015
    Telltale's first installment for Robert Kirkman's famous comic perfectly pulled it off and flawlessly set the foundation for TTG's own The Walking Dead Universe. A game worthy of being one of 2012's Game of The Year, it just leaves you collecting different emotions, mostly negative emotions because you can really feel the pressure of the story on your character, Lee Everett.
  17. Feb 28, 2016
    This is my favourite game ever. It has the most emotional and fantastic story in any game to date. You will be blown away by the choices you make and how devastating they can be. If you are a PC gamer then this is truly the game to get.
  18. Mar 27, 2016
    This game brings one of the greatest story on games. It makes you to play it until you finish it, and emotions are a huge part of it. Some moments that you have to decide a very tough choice, some that you laugh, and some you cry. For story games lovers, is one of the best choices. I loved every part of it.
  19. Jun 14, 2016
    Great game. the story is very great, its not another survival game while you just killing zombie to surivive, but its more focused on the people itself, not the zombie . and just like a real life when you are in that situation u wil feel emotion, frustation, panic, traitor, is a part of the group story.
    the graphic is great, its very artistic. in the end this is the best zombie survival game i ever played
  20. Jan 5, 2013
    This is the best story based game ever released.Definitely GOTY 2012 for me.I haven't had so much fun and i felt like i was really ''living'' in that world.Everything you do have consequences later.
  21. Dec 24, 2012
    I am truly flabbergasted. lost for words. this game is everything that I've wanted for the longest time..I cant tell you for how long I've crazed an intellectually stimulating horror/mystery game that taps into the darkest corners of human nature...this game is beautifully done..there are times when you literally want to just pause and appreciate for just a moment longer how beautiful theI am truly flabbergasted. lost for words. this game is everything that I've wanted for the longest time..I cant tell you for how long I've crazed an intellectually stimulating horror/mystery game that taps into the darkest corners of human nature...this game is beautifully done..there are times when you literally want to just pause and appreciate for just a moment longer how beautiful the art styles are...the lighting director did a fantastic job at creating dramatic effect...

this game is NOT superficially dramatic...i cant emphasis it enough there are very few things in life that are able to make you truly feel empathy..to truly suspend reality and become thoroughly engrossed in a story line is something that is getting harder and harder to do...this game is able to do that and so much more..

please for the sake of expanding your own intellectual horizons BUY THIS GAME.

22. Apr 24, 2013
    Stop reading reviews on metacritic, get Telltale's The Walking Dead and get ready for a truly unique, enthralling and incredibly immersive experience (of the extent the gaming industry hasn't seen in many a year)!
  23. Feb 24, 2013
    By 2012/2013 standards The Walking Dead game should suck. Graphics are stylized yet low res and clunky, music may be good and atmospheric but sounds are so generic that they don't stick out and are average at best. And mostly and above all the game is old-school point-and-click like adventure divided into series of 5 episodes. All in all it's a recipe for a huge failure. This is how itBy 2012/2013 standards The Walking Dead game should suck. Graphics are stylized yet low res and clunky, music may be good and atmospheric but sounds are so generic that they don't stick out and are average at best. And mostly and above all the game is old-school point-and-click like adventure divided into series of 5 episodes. All in all it's a recipe for a huge failure. This is how it looks like in theory at least.

The truth is The Walking Dead deserves a solid 10/10 and was the gem of gaming in 2012 for me. I've mentioned all of it's shortcomings and I'm still sticking by it. As a game it's not great but as an interactive story with multiple twists and tribulations, involving characters, tough moral choices and a sense of ultimate despair that main characters are facing at all times makes it an EXTREMELY rewarding experience.
  24. Jan 19, 2013
    I was totally floored by this game. Even after hearing all the hype, I had no idea what I was in for. I'm a huge fan of story-based adventure games, and have played many of Telltale's other series. They have always been good at humor and cartoony worlds, but I questioned whether they could pull off a serious or dark game. My concerns were left shattered on the floor early on in episodeI was totally floored by this game. Even after hearing all the hype, I had no idea what I was in for. I'm a huge fan of story-based adventure games, and have played many of Telltale's other series. They have always been good at humor and cartoony worlds, but I questioned whether they could pull off a serious or dark game. My concerns were left shattered on the floor early on in episode one, and stayed there through the rest of the game, all the way to the shuddering end. This game grabs you and never lets go. As others have mentioned, I experienced many complex emotions throughout the game which I rarely feel when playing games. It was like the best thriller films, except I was involved in the choices so it felt even more personal. The writing and characters are so well done that you forget you are playing a game, and you never know what's around the bend. I feel like this game is a refreshing change, and only the beginning of what is possible in interactive storytelling if it is done right. I hope its popularity will push developers more into this front. Expand
  25. Dec 22, 2012
    More of an interactive narrative, not very "fun" but extremely moving, fascinating, and well worth the price. Episode 2 was the worst but after that they got progressively better and extremely good.
  26. Dec 25, 2012
    I have never played a game that can make you feel everything there is out there. A masterpiece. That ending alone deserves 10/10. Damn it, I cried like hell!
  27. Dec 11, 2012
    A great, intensive and emotional game.
    You really feel the weight of your decisions. You're decisions can be as "simple" as choosing who gets to it, to choosing if someone dies or not, who you'll save.
    Some of them, you'll regret further on.
    This game has a some great characters. It's not a hard game, and not too long, but it's worth every cent spent on it. Really recommend it!
  28. Dec 18, 2012
    It is rare for me to give a game a 10, but The Walking Dead deserves it. Most games use story to connect one level to the next, but in TWD the gameplay connects chapters of the story together... the story is the focus in TWD. This game has the best character development and story of any game out there. I found myself liking some character while disliking others and the choices I made inIt is rare for me to give a game a 10, but The Walking Dead deserves it. Most games use story to connect one level to the next, but in TWD the gameplay connects chapters of the story together... the story is the focus in TWD. This game has the best character development and story of any game out there. I found myself liking some character while disliking others and the choices I made in the game reflected my feelings towards individuals in the group. I have never had a game make me question my own morality. A choice I made in the heat of the moment later filled me with self doubt and regret... did I make the right choice... and believe me, the choices are not easy. The game makes you feel something for the different character in the game, and if the ending does not have you at least choking back tears... then you simply are not human! This game is an instant classic and on my short list for best game I have ever played. Collapse
  29. Dec 28, 2012
    Having originally purchased the game without doing much research, I was surprised to find that it was an adventure game that takes place predominantly through cinematics or scripted conversations. Normally this would disappoint, but the story and depth of character is so strong in this game that it is absolutely my game of the year and an experience I will remember for the rest of my life.Having originally purchased the game without doing much research, I was surprised to find that it was an adventure game that takes place predominantly through cinematics or scripted conversations. Normally this would disappoint, but the story and depth of character is so strong in this game that it is absolutely my game of the year and an experience I will remember for the rest of my life.

As a 25 yr old male, I could hardly believe the moment that I burst into tears in the final act. It is as moving as any film and more engaging than any game that has come before it. You do not just feel the decisions that Lee makes as the protagonist, you feel as though you are standing in his shoes, and every decision you make is helping shape your journey through the zombie infested streets. If you buy one game in the next 5 years, I would suggest this one be near the top of your list of considerations.
  30. Jan 5, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. The installment model of distribution bothered me at first as I wanted to continue on with the story. In the end however, this actually built excitement for the game because the tale was so excellent. Even for those who are not into horror or apocalypse themes,I would recommend this game. The zombies are simply obstacles that are part ofThis is one of the best games I have ever played. The installment model of distribution bothered me at first as I wanted to continue on with the story. In the end however, this actually built excitement for the game because the tale was so excellent. Even for those who are not into horror or apocalypse themes,I would recommend this game. The zombies are simply obstacles that are part of the larger story which revolves around the people in the game. I won't leave any details (spoilers) but I think most players who enjoy a story driven approach will love this game. The themes explored are adult- redemption, loss, suffering and how people might behave when everything they have ever known comes to an end. Expand
  31. Dec 18, 2012

It’s not perfect but The Walking Dead is one of the most important advances in interactive fiction for a generation, with some of the most memorable characters of any video game.
  2. Mar 15, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a serious, solid, but clay-footed work; in truth, it wouldn't stand out from the crowd if video game storytelling wasn't so impoverished to begin with.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Feb 10, 2013
    A test of your moral fortitude in a world that's gone to the dogs. [March 2013, p.76]