8.4

1. Apr 25, 2012
    In my opinion the game is falsely marketed. The choices you are presented with are forced and out of place. It is not tailored to you like it claims, it simply puts a ridiculous situation in front of you and forces you to literally pick left or right. The movement of the characters is extremely limited and geared completely towards consoles. The fact that it shows you an XBOX controller inIn my opinion the game is falsely marketed. The choices you are presented with are forced and out of place. It is not tailored to you like it claims, it simply puts a ridiculous situation in front of you and forces you to literally pick left or right. The movement of the characters is extremely limited and geared completely towards consoles. The fact that it shows you an XBOX controller in the menu even though you are on a PC tells me that they didn't give two sh*ts about PC gamers when they ported it. The puzzles are random and illogical. It takes more brute force than thought when it comes to solving them. All in all I wouldn't recommend this purchase. It's a crap game built around a great show and comic book. It's a forced story line, with absolutely no openness at all. I know movie/tv/book based games are known to be bad, but this one takes the cake on that badge. The only reason I give it a three is because of the name. Expand
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    This is a game style which you either like it or hate it. I think if you don't like this style of game you shouldn't rate the game, because you're not rating its quality, but rating by your taste over its genre. I personally liked it a lot, it's mainly based on your choices throughout the game, and it's more focused on the story than killing zombies like a retarded.
  3. Oct 21, 2012
    The story and the art of this game are great, and so are many of the interactions, but after having played seasons 1-4 I can tell you with certainty that most of the major decisions are decided for you. Certain characters will die regardless of how you try to save them. This is disappointing as the game heralds "adapting to your choices" when in reality practically ALL of your choices areThe story and the art of this game are great, and so are many of the interactions, but after having played seasons 1-4 I can tell you with certainty that most of the major decisions are decided for you. Certain characters will die regardless of how you try to save them. This is disappointing as the game heralds "adapting to your choices" when in reality practically ALL of your choices are superficial and have no bearing on how the game actually plays out.

Having watched seasons 1-4 of the walking dead by Myndflame on Youtube, I made a concerted effort to pick the OPPOSITE choices. Yet, in spite of this, my game has been practically identical save for a few superficial differences.

Another major problem with the game is that MOST of it is cut scene. In the places that you are given control of your character, generally, you are stuck with ONE option to solve the puzzles or progress to the next scene. Often times you'll run into invisible walls, whether it be in the environment or in the choices the game will allow you to make. Too many times I was greeted with Lee telling me "This is probably not a good idea right now..." So what? I thought this game was about making choices?

Although I find the game, the world, and the story fascinating I am disenfranchised with this promise of "choice". When you compare it to other great games like Fallout or Mass Effect the game falls short on its promise. The story doesn't really change. The results are almost identical, and what you do doesn't really matter.
  4. Apr 24, 2012
    After finishing the second season of the Walking Dead, and the first compendium, my interest in this game Skyrocketed! This game is not like any other zombie game you have ever played, not like Left 4 Dead, not like Dead Island. It seamlessly integrates the story into the big picture of the Walking Dead comics. I was satisfied that my concern of a point and click game ruining theAfter finishing the second season of the Walking Dead, and the first compendium, my interest in this game Skyrocketed! This game is not like any other zombie game you have ever played, not like Left 4 Dead, not like Dead Island. It seamlessly integrates the story into the big picture of the Walking Dead comics. I was satisfied that my concern of a point and click game ruining the experience were false. The action scenes are great, and the voice acting is great. I recommend it if you want to play a story driven game, in which all the choices you make, have consequences. Where you have to choose sides, and who lives and who dies. Expand
  5. Apr 24, 2012
    A great first episode, with a huge replay value! You have alot of dialogue choices that seemingly Willy make a difference later, a very interesting history. The graphics are really nice as well.
  6. Apr 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A "Survival" puzzle game where next to all choices you make have no real impact besides tiny different scenes and tries to make up for its flaws by getting the player emotionally involved, doing so poorly due to all the audio-cuts, freezing problems and stacks upon stacks of illogical situations most which can be thanked for by this attempt of a comic adaptation that no doubt went through being ported.

The developers recognized this flaw which is why they sacrificed the amount of power and influence the player had in order to make more emotional scenes, be it having to choose between two strangers every five minutes just to be yelled at the one who survived or just kill someone close that got infected.

Next to all lines are being re-used in all scenarios, no matter your decision and to top that off, there are some very redundant plot-holes being formed from poor design for example: You see a brick outside the fence which you can easily grab with your hand, but even so the character insists on it being out of reach. A logical person would remember back to another room where he stumbled upon a walking stick that could be used to add the amount of "reach" necessary to grab the brick which would be 2 inches but no. It still could not be interacted with and would not until later reveal itself to be a sequence in the events much, MUCH later on, leaving players left confused, thinking they've missed something.

I did enjoy the nice change with that of an interactive comic movie but unless they do a serious turn-over in the next episodes WHICH WILL BE RELEASED MONTHLY
  7. Apr 25, 2012
    Story is forced and not as open ended as it makes out. Graphics, suck and the character falls down way way too many times. Does not allow full control, may as well made it into a cartoon for all the movement and control you get.
  8. May 3, 2012
    TL;DR: If you don't like The Walking Dead or point and click adventures, you should stay away, or at least watch a YouTube playthrough. I've been a pretty big fan of The Walking Dead since the television series aired back in 2010. I distinctly remember having Walking Dead parties with college classmates on Sunday nights to tune in and watch the massacre. Since then I've read the comics upTL;DR: If you don't like The Walking Dead or point and click adventures, you should stay away, or at least watch a YouTube playthrough. I've been a pretty big fan of The Walking Dead since the television series aired back in 2010. I distinctly remember having Walking Dead parties with college classmates on Sunday nights to tune in and watch the massacre. Since then I've read the comics up until issue 90 and watch every single episode. Basically I felt obligated to get this game. My struggle was that I've never liked point and click, and I still don't think I ever will. The only exception that generates my excitement for this game is The Walking Dead name is on it. If you're not a fan of the show or comics, or even point and clicks, you should probably stay away. I finished the episode in about two hours. Those achievements popped up pretty often it seemed like, so I assumed it was going to be fairly short - it is. The reason I'm giving the game a 7/10 is because of it's technical obstacles like other reviewers have mentioned. Sometimes frames would jump, seem as if it was rendering a frame right then and there so obviously (on my pretty powerful rig). Expand
  9. Apr 27, 2012
    Not a bad game by any means, but not even a masterpiece; the story is too much clichè and you'll find yourself into quite a lot of deja vu's which are typical of the setting, like people getting scared that one of your companions may be a zombie, shelling out from a zombie horde, hearing radio reports, zombie relatives, axes, headshots and such; yet it does a good job makingNot a bad game by any means, but not even a masterpiece; the story is too much clichè and you'll find yourself into quite a lot of deja vu's which are typical of the setting, like people getting scared that one of your companions may be a zombie, shelling out from a zombie horde, hearing radio reports, zombie relatives, axes, headshots and such; yet it does a good job making the proper setting and giving a nice background of the characters.
    I'm not really impressed technical wise; the graphics grows on you fastly enough, but the setting still feels too cartoony to deliver the proper impact, there is no way to change the camera angle and the interface is way too simplicistic and it's unlikely that it will be able to hold some deeper gameplay other than simple QTE or minor inventory puzzles.
    More than once I actually wanted to be able to control my weaponry directly, but I do reckon this was not the focus of the game.
    Sadly what hurts the game the most for me is the lack of actual freedom; in a game that prides himself for the decisions that will alter your gameplay experience the game definitely falls short in that department; there are just 5 nodes that will lead to a different cutscene and just one single choice actually leads to a different plot development that can be carried to the next episodes and the rest is just some line of dialogue that you can be free to pick at random.
    True freedom should mean allowing me to have the chance to try the plans I have in my mind to save my companions, to be able to get rid of a zombie not just by killing but also by making him unharmful, to be able to leave a conversation when I see that there is something that seems more pressing at the same moment.
    All of this would require a much more refined engine that sadly a company that comes from adventure games still isn't able to provide, yet this early experiment was worth a try and I'm hopeful that it will lead to a more free and meaningful experience in the following episodes.
  10. Apr 25, 2012
    I know Tell-Tale get a rough deal for their games and I've avoided them until The Walking Dead because of the harsh criticisms. I'm a huge Walking Dead fan, both comic and tv show, so was very skeptical when this game was announced with Tell-Tale as a developer. I bought it anyway and was pleasantly surprised. The graphics are a wonderful homage to Charlie Adlard's work in the comics andI know Tell-Tale get a rough deal for their games and I've avoided them until The Walking Dead because of the harsh criticisms. I'm a huge Walking Dead fan, both comic and tv show, so was very skeptical when this game was announced with Tell-Tale as a developer. I bought it anyway and was pleasantly surprised. The graphics are a wonderful homage to Charlie Adlard's work in the comics and the engine will run on the vast majority of pcs. I found myself caring about the characters and agonising over the decisions I made and how they would affect future episodes. It's true you don't get full control or a free roaming world but what you do get is an interesting experience that many AAA games could learn a lot from. The story is the unique selling point of this game and it delivers, in episode 1 at least.

I would recommend this to anyone, Walking Dead fans or not. Now hurry up and release episodes 2, 3, 4 & 5.
  11. Apr 25, 2012
    Telltale has been known for some time now as a quality developer of a genre that is otherwise under-flowing with not only quality, but sheer number of titles in general.With TTG's most recent additions to the industry (Back To the Future, Jurassic Park) lacking majorly in some areas, including limited puzzle elements, lack of exploration, a choppy engine, and overall disappointingTelltale has been known for some time now as a quality developer of a genre that is otherwise under-flowing with not only quality, but sheer number of titles in general.With TTG's most recent additions to the industry (Back To the Future, Jurassic Park) lacking majorly in some areas, including limited puzzle elements, lack of exploration, a choppy engine, and overall disappointing conclusion to the story; I'll admit, I was skeptical. However, unlike some of the more ignorant members of the gaming community as a whole, I knew that TTG had discovered something special in the form of creating a flowing, horror-filled adventure experience within the confines of an extremely zombie-rich apocalyptic universe. The story of Kirkman's comics have always been about the progression of the plot through the characters. The game adaptation is no exception. Right from the get-go, both the characters dialogue & and the actions they carry out not only create a sense of an authentic emotional impact upon the more sensitive aspects of your mind, but they make you care about the characters as well. Never in my life, in any horror franchise, including The Walking Dead, up to this point at least; have I ever appreciated a child who plays a large part in the story. Generally speaking due to their obnoxious and helpless nature, as well as the fact that they only tend to bog the main characters down in place. Clementine, the little eight year old girl you come across within the first half hour of the game, not only makes a dramatic appearance where she acts sensibly, as well as bravely. But quite literally, she saves your life. She's intelligent, witty, brave, cute, and most importantly, a damn fine companion. You care about the well being of this girl. Although simply a game, I found myself immersed and enthralled in a different rendition of the same post-apocalyptic world I discovered in the comics, as well as rediscovered in the TV show. I instantly became protective of this little girl, not only because she was a an ultimately reasonable character in such repeatedly dire situations, but because she can keep her **** together when individuals forty years her senior cannot. Suffice to say, the narrative is spot on. You'll make decisions as to whom to which you will give food, ally yourself with, trust, or even which particular character will live or die. These decisions then subsequently carry over to the soon-to-be-released follow up episodes set for launch throughout Summer. The only gripes I have with this first episode of the game is the fact that just like recently released TTG titles, "The Walking Dead" suffers from some stuttering due to a slightly flawed graphics engine developed in-house by TTG. This isn't really a complaint that can be isolated with "TWD" specifically. As I said, it plagued previous TTG game too. In comparison to those titles, the stuttering is near nonexistent. It doesn't even effect game-play, and perhaps it'll be fixed in the future. It only serves as an annoyance to distract players from brief cinematics. In reality, the only flaw I can see with the mechanics of the game itself is occasional discrepancies in the conversations of the characters between one another. Occasionally you will receive a mixed reaction from a character, while this isn't unrealistic in any way, nor is it entirely unexpected, it makes it hard for you to know where you stand with each character unless you have the UI updating you about their current emotions. In fact, it can be argued that this isn't a flaw at all, and only serves to up-the-anty in decision-making processes as well as making the characters so integral to the plot more dynamic. Regardless, it still allows for the every-so-often awkward replies between the player and other characters that seem to be contradicting to either what the player was hoping to establish, or what the reaction the player was expecting. A more common criticism I've seen if that particular reviewers, such as those over at the gamespy website, believe that certain major decisions have no impact on the story. While this statement in itself is contradictory seeing as how an important decision would have to have an impact on the story, these reviewers are also wrong to assume that only one episode into a five episode arc that these specific decisions have no impact. Perhaps if they had even payed attention to the preview for the second episode after the conclusion of the first, they would know from the characters dialogue featured that certain characters have problems with the decisions that were made by the player previously, and have yet to say anything. In the end, I recommend this game highly to anyone looking for an "old school" adventure game with items and exploration, fans of the comics (which the game's art style is inspired by), or perhaps even people who only watch the show. Expand
  12. Jul 10, 2012
    Really amazing game!My first teltale game ever. Play through the really intsresting story and jump straight into episode 2.Every choice you make is important! Have fun. :-)
  13. Apr 24, 2012
    First I've seen this game I'm a little bit confused because the walking dead has a very good story and I hoped that telltale games makes good.Thank god they made a wonderful game and can't wait for episode 2!
  14. Apr 24, 2012
    It is difficult to classify this as a game. At best, it's more like an interactive movie with a few choices and some rudimentary puzzles and dialogue thrown in between scenes. However, as disappointed as I am with it's playability, I am impressed with the story so far and the characters. I'm also intrigued by the concepts that those choices that make in the game will not only haveIt is difficult to classify this as a game. At best, it's more like an interactive movie with a few choices and some rudimentary puzzles and dialogue thrown in between scenes. However, as disappointed as I am with it's playability, I am impressed with the story so far and the characters. I'm also intrigued by the concepts that those choices that make in the game will not only have impact on developments within the same episode, but other episodes to come.
    A single play-through took me about 3.5 hours, I'm debating a replay to make slightly different choices.
    A big minus for me comes from the control configuration screen - it's for configuring a console controller! Telltale, seriously - we aren't all console players!!!! Please put in a bit of effort for us PC gamers - we're pretty sick of sloppy ports and would, for once like a PC game that actually looks like it's been polished a little :0)
  15. Apr 24, 2012
    Episode 1:
    Episode 1:
    This game is totally different than any game I am used to and so I decided to try it. The main reason I gave it a go and many others is because it is Walking Dead related. I spent $20 on all five episodes and I do not regret it one bit. To me it was just like watching another episode on TV but this time I had to, solve problems, make hard choices and lead a group. It took me a little over 2 hours to finish the episode and it left me wanting more. I loved the graphics Telltale has chosen; it fits right in. The blood and gore is also amazing. I loved this episode and I cannot wait til the next is released. Walking Dead FTW!
  16. Apr 26, 2012
    I know a lot of people are probably disappointed it's not a shooter/hack n slash where you find hordes of zombies like in L4D or Dead Island but that's not really what The Walking Dead series is about. Making 'THAT' game would have just been incredibly gimmicky and there are already decent zombie-killing games. This game stayed true to the comic book & series by focusing primarily onI know a lot of people are probably disappointed it's not a shooter/hack n slash where you find hordes of zombies like in L4D or Dead Island but that's not really what The Walking Dead series is about. Making 'THAT' game would have just been incredibly gimmicky and there are already decent zombie-killing games. This game stayed true to the comic book & series by focusing primarily on characters. Your choices (and there are SO many of them) define you in this game and those choices have a lasting affect well into the next episodes. Expand
  17. Jun 20, 2012
    Having played a few Telltale games before, and having watched the entire Walking Dead TV series, I had pretty big expectations about this game. Well, they have been more than fulfilled, and I will be sure to buy the next four episodes of this game as soon as they come out. I will divide my review into five sections, although the average of the four will not be the final score.

Audio: I

Audio: I personally feel that although the voice acting is very good, it should've all been recorded with a better microphone. The background effects and sounds are extremely good, and I really felt immersed in the game as I was playing it, but the voices are crackly and not loud enough. 7/10

Gameplay: This game is interesting because - although the game is a point and click game at heart - it also has first person and third person sequences, and a few QTE's. (quick time events) Although I do not feel as if this mix is detrimental to the game whatsoever, it is pretty surprising because the game switches between them instantly and without warning. 8/10

Story: This really captivated me. you feel for every character in the game, and when something happens to them you genuinely feel worried. The story is extremely well written and well thought out. I won't go into detail for fear of giving out spoilers. 10/10

Graphics: I always thought that if a game based on the walking dead were ever to come out, it would have ultra-realistic graphics with a gritty, dark style. Although the game does have quite a gritty art style, the graphics are certainly not ultra realistic. If anything, they're actually quite cartoony. I'm not sure how, but it works. 9/10

Overall: If you don't like point and click games STAY AWAY. This game is completely story orientated so don't expect to play another dead island. If you don't have patience, and don't like getting involved in stories, then do not buy this game. However, if you do, (and you should) not buying this game would be a terrible, terrible mistake. 9/10
  18. Apr 30, 2012
    This is Telltale's Jurassic Park all over again, only on a different setting.

I'm also impressed by the suspicious amount of 10's around here. With Jurassic Park some Telltale employees confesses they were writing their own critics giving all 10's on this site. I wouldn't be surprised it such was the case again. Anyway, they have done away with the insane amount of QTE's from Jurassic
    This is Telltale's Jurassic Park all over again, only on a different setting.

Anyway, they have done away with the insane amount of QTE's from Jurassic Park, which is good. But a pretty poor story and very bad execution make for a game you will probably regret buying.
  19. May 17, 2012
    With the reviews I was hoping for A LOT better. You don't really get to make the choices you want to or at least I wanted too, everything is forced generally one direction. Story is mediocre. This isn't a game, its a bunch of cut-scenes.
  20. Jun 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible. When I heard that Tell Tale Games was making it I knew it would suck. I had hoped when they announced that there would be a video game adaptation, that they would finally give me the zombie game that gamer fans of the genre were looking for. I see Tell Tale's strategy of making games that mimic a "Choose your own adventure", Cutscene styling as lazy game making. I had hoped for something like the DAY Z mod in ARMA 2. Why did I buy it??..simple, it was called "The Walking Dead". Now ofcourse I knew before purchasing it , this game was going to be boring to play, however i had hoped it would atleast have some type of immersion. NONE. Whenever anyone points this out about the game, either a Tell Tale employee or FanBoy states "You dont think that smashing a zombie's brains in with a hammer is immersion"? "You dont think that choosing what happens is immersion enough"?....My answer is NO, not the way the game is styled. All of your decisions are forced. Any action sequences were made so that a child could complete them. This game is more like pressing "Q" or "E" so that you can continue watching a crappy movie/comic book video. And "Choices" ...really...."Choices"...the "S" on the end of the word "Choice" implies more than ONE...and when it comes to this game they are not lying...in fact you get TWO. "Save Carly or Nerd boy Doug", "Save Hershel's Son or the idiot kid".(Which i hope that kid dies). And not even all the choices are logical. Someone mentioned a brick small enough to fit through the gate at the pharmacy....or even the fact that you could use the Cane to grab it....not an option. It would not even let you pick the cane up. The one and only puzzling puzzle was the TV Remote. and that was just lame. Aside from the games integrity, how about the critics....I call BS on the many positive reviews of this game, however i see this alot in gaming. Lets just put it this way...I have come to this site to read reviews on just about every game before buying...until now I have never reviewed a game until being disgusted by the lack truth when it comes to the reviews of this game. I realize that this is only my opinion. I own every zombie/game/mod so naturally, I bought this as well. One more thing, where is episode two? I was told before buying that the game's episodes were to be released monthly. Maybe if they spent less time making you tube videos, patting themselves on the backs for the horrible game they have made, and more time making the game...there wouldnt be alot of angry customers out there. Usually the response to this statemeny by a TT agent or FanBoy is "Do you want a crap episode now or a great one later"? ..my response is I dont really care and TT doesnt either, they already got my money. I'll definitely save my money on the next set of episodes. Think Ill just watch someone playing those on You Tube. Which will get the story told to me for free. Expand
  21. Apr 26, 2012
    The fact that I was lucky enough to win a Season Pass to this game on Twitter via Gary Whitta (who worked as a Story Consultant on this game) blew me away. But what really blew me away was how this game sucked me in so quickly and began forcing me to make tough choices immediately. Literally, seconds after I made some tough choices, I wondered what would have happened had I made aThe fact that I was lucky enough to win a Season Pass to this game on Twitter via Gary Whitta (who worked as a Story Consultant on this game) blew me away. But what really blew me away was how this game sucked me in so quickly and began forcing me to make tough choices immediately. Literally, seconds after I made some tough choices, I wondered what would have happened had I made a different decision. The game indicates when a choice will be remembered or is noticed by other characters. It makes for one of the most engaging stories I have experienced in a while.

Game: "Clementine will remember you said that"
    Me: "Oh no, did I make the right decision? How is this going to change things???" I instantly decided that I would have to play through again to see alternate outcomes. In addition to the Steam version, I will treat myself to the Xbox Live Arcade version as well so as to have two versions of the story side by side. I can't remember another game that caused me to want to do this.

As a huge fan of the comic and the television series, I find that this game succeeds in creating a new story with some new characters and some existing ones. It all feels right at home in its universe. The game is compelling and the characters are memorable. I just get the feeling that with this game, Telltale was like "Ok, we're not **** around". It just keeps throwing the player into interesting and tense situations. Aside from all of the story and making choices talk, the art style is also very pleasing to the eye. Facial expressions are really nailed which add to the overall tone of the often visceral situations. When you sit down to play this game, get ready to have your fingers on the proverbial trigger as there are timers on making decisions. This helps in making it a somewhat realistic engine. This is how you might have to make decisions in real life. There's action. There's drama. There's gore, thrills, and chills. (And spills. I slipped on a huge puddle of blood) The Walking Dead: Episode 1 delivers on everything you would want in a Walking Dead adventure game while keeping the story front and center. Some games have forgettable stories or stories elements you might not even remember. This game sticks with you because the experience is so very personal. It feels fantastic to finally play an episodic adventure game that makes you care, second guess yourself, and ultimately react. The best part, was that by the end, I was truly entertained and ready for the next episode.

What more could I ask for?
  22. Apr 27, 2012
    This game is amazing for anyone who love the Zombie genre. I haven't played a point-and-click game in a while, but it's amazingly easy and it feels and looks natural at most times. I love the fact that you have to make tough choices, who you want to save from death, to tell the truth or not. You get emotionally attached to most of the characters, and you would want to see this through. YouThis game is amazing for anyone who love the Zombie genre. I haven't played a point-and-click game in a while, but it's amazingly easy and it feels and looks natural at most times. I love the fact that you have to make tough choices, who you want to save from death, to tell the truth or not. You get emotionally attached to most of the characters, and you would want to see this through. You can tell the game is developed for consoles, because of some graphical glitches, audio glitches and the controls. Don't fret! I could look past those tiny imperfections, because everything else is awesome! If you love zombies and an engaging story, you'll absolutely love this game. I can't wait for the next episodes. This game receives a 9/10 from me because of the story, comic-style graphics, music and characters. The game is very much worth its price too, that's good. It does not receive a 10/10 because of a few tiny bugs and some audio-glitches. Apart from that, I recommend it highly! Expand
  23. May 6, 2012
    This game is an absolute thrill, despite the clunky and outdated graphic design, it reaches out to the player and deliver an experience like no other Tell Tale game has ever done before, even for those who are not fans of either the critically acclaimed TV series or the comic.
  24. Jul 26, 2012
    Not great. It IS an interactive story rather than a full-fledged action/puzzle game, but that's not the issue I have with it. I do wish it offered more of a branching story line, if story is where it's trying to shine -- most of the conversation decisions seem to be purely cosmetic. (They're also stressful to make; there's usually barely enough time to read them all before the timer runsNot great. It IS an interactive story rather than a full-fledged action/puzzle game, but that's not the issue I have with it. I do wish it offered more of a branching story line, if story is where it's trying to shine -- most of the conversation decisions seem to be purely cosmetic. (They're also stressful to make; there's usually barely enough time to read them all before the timer runs out.) But more importantly, the story it does lead you through is just so generic. It must have hit every single zombie apocalypse bingo square in the first half hour. That's what killed it for me. If there's no gameplay to speak of and no exploration of the game's world allowed, the story better be gripping. It wasn't; it never made me care. I'll grant that the characters were decently written for the most part, and I hope they will grow in complexity in future episodes.

On top of the lackluster story, the gameplay aspects are terribly implemented. It might play better on console, but the PC controls are atrocious, character movement felt cumbersome and stunted, and the fixed camera/scenery drove me batty, since it frequently conceals walkable paths. The player is also artificially held back from progressing at multiple points. Some of the puzzles you're presented with have obvious solutions, but the game won't give you the tools to solve them until you've passed some other check point. (The brick thing was particularly annoying, as was the pharmacy door.) Some other puzzles were also just insulting to the characters themselves. I won't go into detail, but Carly -- presumably at least passing familiar with technology, being a reporter, not to mention perfectly capable of firing a handgun -- couldn't figure out the issue with the radio? Twice? Really, now?

As for the the visual style, I'm not a fan, though I'll grant that's partly a matter of personal taste. The line work looked sloppy to me, the colours too muddy -- Clementine's face was a good example of this. What's not a matter of personal taste are the graphics glitches, particular the pixelated shadows all over the place. I did play this on an Mac via Steam, however, so it's possible it runs better on Windows.
  25. Nov 26, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of the TV series that goes with by the same name and I've never seen any of the comic books where this game roots from. Neither did I value the Telltale Monkey Island spin offs much. Based on several high ratings on Metacritic I gave it a go and was quite surprised. The characters evolve beautiful and crawl under your skin. This is for me one of the best story settingI'm not a big fan of the TV series that goes with by the same name and I've never seen any of the comic books where this game roots from. Neither did I value the Telltale Monkey Island spin offs much. Based on several high ratings on Metacritic I gave it a go and was quite surprised. The characters evolve beautiful and crawl under your skin. This is for me one of the best story setting environments I've experienced in 30 years of gaming. Don't expect some l33t ninja button bashing or sleepless mind puzzle solving requirements from this game. This is a numbed down adventure game on rails -- but a very good one. Expand
  26. Dec 5, 2012
    Probably the best zombie game I have ever played. When I first looked into this game, I thought it would be some shooter resident-evil wannabe, then I found out it was a graphic adventure with lots of action on it, which is really original and cool. But what I liked the most was the story, so epic and inmersive, really at the level of the TV series and more touchy. The flawless voiceProbably the best zombie game I have ever played. When I first looked into this game, I thought it would be some shooter resident-evil wannabe, then I found out it was a graphic adventure with lots of action on it, which is really original and cool. But what I liked the most was the story, so epic and inmersive, really at the level of the TV series and more touchy. The flawless voice acting helps a lot.

The other strong point in the game is the dialogue choice options. Everything you say almost always have some kind of impact in the story, from gaining influence over some pal of your group, to trigger a whole situation that may save your life or kill you. In fact, the difficulty of the game is not killing the zombies, but preventing your group to split or fall into hysteria.

The only thing that could be better, are the puzzles. For a graphic adventure the puzzles are quite weak, but it kind of compensates with a great dose of action. All crowned with a great and moving ending.

This game is a must have so try it. You won't be dissapointed.
  27. Apr 25, 2012
    As a game, this would be horrible, but if you understand going in that this is just an interactive cartoon for mature audiences, you will appreciate it for what it is... if you're a fan of the comics or the TV series, at least. It lacks background information for someone who doesn't know this series. The plot is reasonably interesting, for the genre, and the dialogs are well acted andAs a game, this would be horrible, but if you understand going in that this is just an interactive cartoon for mature audiences, you will appreciate it for what it is... if you're a fan of the comics or the TV series, at least. It lacks background information for someone who doesn't know this series. The plot is reasonably interesting, for the genre, and the dialogs are well acted and credible. My main complaint is that the actions are timed. This is so much like a movie that you tend to sit back and watch, occasionally noticing that a reply is expected. It's very frustrating to have a timer that forces you to answer within a short amount of time. The game either needs more interaction to keep the player involved enough that a need for an action doesn't come as a surprise or it needs to patiently wait for the user to put down his coffee and pick up the keyboard or controller. As it is, the balance isn't right. Also, at the time of this review, the game is disappointingly unoptimized. Running on a top end system that runs the most demanding AAA games with maximum quality graphics at 1080p, this game frequently stalls on a frame for a few seconds, making it feel as if it's loading an overlay from a floppy disk. That's seriously amateurish, especially given the extreme simplicity of this game, from a technical perspective. I would recommend it for fans of the series, but only when it drops to half its current price. Expand
  28. Jun 11, 2012
    Episode 1 has some linear parts, where essentially no matter what choice you make in the game- you will end up at the same outcome later. Game Survival is fully centered around quicktime events, where pushing the correct button quickly and multiple times is key. This makes game-play centered more around fast reflexes instead of logical thinking and planning. Unfortunately the playerEpisode 1 has some linear parts, where essentially no matter what choice you make in the game- you will end up at the same outcome later. Game Survival is fully centered around quicktime events, where pushing the correct button quickly and multiple times is key. This makes game-play centered more around fast reflexes instead of logical thinking and planning. Unfortunately the player does not get to keep weapons in the game, nor choose which weapons they want to use against enemies. The fighting sequences are fully scripted using a particular weapon (picked up just prior to battle) and seem intended for immediate use. Due to the rather linear style of game-play, I cannot recommend this as a true RPG, more like a scripted movie with quick-time events thrown in. A game that feels very similar to this one is Heavy Rain for the PS3. Since the game is the first-part of a five-part episodic series, the game length of this episode is rather short. I completed episode 1 in approximately 40 minutes. Timely releases of subsequent episodes appears to be problematic for the publisher. Episode 1 was released on April 24th, 2012. When The Walking Dead game was being advertised prior to launch, Telltales Entertainment promised releases for new episodes "every month", but since the launch of episode 1 they have inexplicably postponed releasing episode 2. Now their official stance on releasing new episodes has been modified on their website as "approximately every month". As of this writing it is June 11th, and episode 2 has still not been released which means it has been approximately two months since the last episode has been released. Potential customers should therefor, expect delays if they wish to purchase the Season Pass option. Overall, I feel the game is an average entry into what is essentially a CGI movie with scripted sequences and quicktime events. Heavy Rain, by comparison, is more polished in practically every area to include graphics, sound, characters, and plot. You are also dealing with untimely releases of subsequent episodes- even at the rate of 1 month per episode you are looking forward to 40 minutes of new game-play every month, which most people will agree is ridiculous. At face value, I would usually score an average game like this one with an average score of 6; but the untimely releases of subsequent episodes further degrades the appeal of the series to an even lower-average-score of 5. Expand
  29. Jun 13, 2012
    As expected with Telltale games; their own devs have been padding the scores. The game sucks; & the episodic continuance is a fancy way to get us to pay to develop their game. Vaporware.
  30. Jul 15, 2012
    I love this game! Some people would say it's like Heavy Rain with the choices and stuff, but I hated Heavy Rain. This game is really well done. Your choices will put you on different sides and will affect everything in the game. I love the action and the suspense of that great story. Well, it's a strong 9!
  31. Jul 20, 2012
    What the hell they call this a game? Yeah nothing more exciting than clicking bubbles that make you do one action. Interactive movies are pointless, I would rather just watch a movie and not have the irritating task of pressing one button. Dialog choices never give the intended result it seems and are usually a black or white issue. Overall quality of the game is okay but the entire time IWhat the hell they call this a game? Yeah nothing more exciting than clicking bubbles that make you do one action. Interactive movies are pointless, I would rather just watch a movie and not have the irritating task of pressing one button. Dialog choices never give the intended result it seems and are usually a black or white issue. Overall quality of the game is okay but the entire time I played this game I didn't feel like it's a game. If you want a zombie game go with something like Dead Island or Left 4 Dead because you're actually playing a game. 0/10 for not being a game but an interactive movie. I'm upset I bought the game because I can go on the internet and find a flash game that gives more entertainment than this crap. Come to think about it, this game is exactly like an adventure game you would find on a flash game site and does not deserve to be a pay to play game especially since they release the entire game in a series of episodes instead of giving you the entire thing at once. Expand
  32. Sep 19, 2012
    This is a point and click adventure focused on dialogue. It has a cheesy mechanic where the time clicks down and if you are too slow in choosing what you want to say, the listener will think you are lying. The game see black and white truths and doesn't understand complexity. In a game that is all about dialogue, this is just painful to play.
  33. Oct 31, 2012
    This game is basically tries to sell on a big lie, that you can impact the story.
    And not only do they lie to you in the marketing, they also lie to you when you play the game.
    The game pretends that you have a lot of big choices but its easy to see that you cannot make any impact. If you replay the choices you will see black on white that the result is always the same. I cant believe

I cant believe this got such a high rating. Most likely it have been doped by the developer.
    If I ever see a game made by telltale ever again I will stay miles away.
  34. Nov 16, 2012
    The biggest part of this game are the decisions, which at first seem fun, but if you play through different routes you'll realize your decisions don't make much of a difference. The action scenes seem to come out of nowhere, and sometimes you only realize it isn't a cut scene after it's too late. But even if you do realize it in time Lee doesn't seem to be in a hurry to not get eaten.The biggest part of this game are the decisions, which at first seem fun, but if you play through different routes you'll realize your decisions don't make much of a difference. The action scenes seem to come out of nowhere, and sometimes you only realize it isn't a cut scene after it's too late. But even if you do realize it in time Lee doesn't seem to be in a hurry to not get eaten. Though even if you are bad at that kind of action sequence there aren't enough to really ruin your gaming experience.

To sum up, the most advertised part of this game is that it's tailored to your decisions. But it's really not, there's a very strict order in which everything has to be done. And most importantly, usually whatever you decide you have to stay behind 100%, for the most part the game doesn't give you the option to regret any of your decisions. Which is kind of annoying when someone gets pissed off at you for a decision you made while on a timer.

Overall, I give it a 3.5/10.
  35. Dec 27, 2012
    I have no idea where these high ratings come from.
    I have no idea where these high ratings come from.
    As another Walking Dead property this might be okay, but as the game Telltale advertises it's a zero. The main "game" aspect is all about your choices and the effect they have on the story and world at large. The problem is that this notion of choice is a lie. Even when you have a choice, which isn't that often as many outcomes are set in stone, the effects are superficial at best. If Telltale can't really offer a game that is greatly affected by your in game choices they shouldn't advertise it as such. Considering "choice" is the main or lone mechanic in what makes this a game it fails pretty miserably.

If you're interested in another Walking Dead story I hear you can just watch playthroughs on YouTube. Trust me, with the lack of variation you won't miss anything this way.
  36. DDK
    Dec 31, 2012
    How anyone could rate this game higher than a 3 is beyond my meagre ability to comprehend. It's incredibly buggy on all platforms. It has high requirements despite having poor quality graphics. The characters in it are beyond moronic. The drama is forced to the point of complete farce. And you have zero real choice in anything that happens despite the wondrous claims of Telltale (a tellingHow anyone could rate this game higher than a 3 is beyond my meagre ability to comprehend. It's incredibly buggy on all platforms. It has high requirements despite having poor quality graphics. The characters in it are beyond moronic. The drama is forced to the point of complete farce. And you have zero real choice in anything that happens despite the wondrous claims of Telltale (a telling name if there was any). The people who gave this Indie GotY were either paid off or smoking crack. Expand
  37. Aug 11, 2013
    I liked it: the story is well built, the graphic is OK and the game play is enjoyable.
    But the game is full of bugs, a lot of players are experiencing problems in playing the game and i'm one of them.
    It deletes my saves every time and there's no solution to this bug. (One of the hundred unsolved bugs of this game)
    It isn't worth the price i paid!
  38. May 4, 2012
    I'm just glad they didn't try to make this into an first person shooter. As a modern point and click adventure it hits all the right notes. This series is really going to help me get through the annual summer video game drought.
  39. May 6, 2012
    I haven't really enjoyed Telltale games much since Point and Click games aren't my thing.
    A friend gifted me the Walking Dead on steam for me and told me to try it out. I had nothing better to do, so I went ahead and did so.
    It was worth it. The voice acting is amazing, the storyline touches me unlike any other story in a video game I've ever read (seriously, one or two parts of this
    It was worth it.
    The voice acting is amazing, the storyline touches me unlike any other story in a video game I've ever read (seriously, one or two parts of this episode I went close to depression).
    The controls are a bit clunky and the point-and-click mechanic takes some time to get used to, but it's no problem.
    The characters are likable and seem to change by how you interact with them.
    I've had some encounters with low textured objects though, but it seems like the graphics style is meant to make it look like that.
    I just seriously hope the next episodes are a bit longer.
  40. May 24, 2012
    I gave it a lower score not because of the game play but for the game play time. It took about 2 hours to finish. There are supposed to be a total of five episodes. If each of the episodes have a play time of 2 hours, that would be $125.00 for a ten hour game. That is a little steep by anyone's standards I think. Yes it was an interesting game, and the artwork very well done. You reallyI gave it a lower score not because of the game play but for the game play time. It took about 2 hours to finish. There are supposed to be a total of five episodes. If each of the episodes have a play time of 2 hours, that would be $125.00 for a ten hour game. That is a little steep by anyone's standards I think. Yes it was an interesting game, and the artwork very well done. You really had the feel of playing a moving graphic novel. The point and click thing does get a little hairy when your in the heat of the moment but it was all good. Easy to get used to. But I think I will wait till the whole series comes out and then buy the packaged deal. I think the complete series should be no more the $50, and that is still a little pricey for 10 hours of play. Expand
  41. Aug 9, 2012
    Good story and animation, but if you are playing in a PC the controls are horrible and you cannot go where you want. Feels like PC was an after thought. Too rigid in the ability to roam, feels so scripted and controlled.
  42. Aug 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never played a Telltale game before for several reasons, but I thought I'd give "The Walking Dead" a try because I like the series and the setting.
    To sum it up shortly: I'm not satisfied and here's why: First, this is not an adventure as advertised, it's an interactive movie/comic. The puzzles are scarce and ridiculously easy, most of the game consists of cutscenes and quick-time events. On the plus side, I think the dialogue system is good although a little hasty maybe.
    Second, the decisions you can make are very limited and most have close no effect on the path the story takes (contrary to what has been promised). Most of the time you will not only end up with exactly the same results in the end but all choices are of the "A or B" type. [spoilers] Example: When you have to chose if you want to save Shawn or Kenny's kid it will always turn out the same. The kid is save, Shawn is dead and Herschel is throwing you off his farm. You're not able to solve this situation as a normal person would do if somebody's stuck beneath a tractor: getting on the damn thing and drive it backwards.[/spoilers]
    Third, it is way too short for the amount of money you pay for it. 25$ for a 2 hour game (I hardly see any replay value) is daylight robbery. Maybe 40$ for all 5 episodes with all in all 10 hours of gameplay would've been adequate.
    Forth, the controls are pretty bad. Although you have to use WASD to walk you can't look around as the view is always limited to a certain area. The good old fashioned "click mouse to make player to there" way would've been a lot better.
    Fifth, the engine cause a lot of stutters during fast scene changes. This can be very annoying.
    I'm giving it a 4 out of 10, mainly because I think the story/dialogues and the graphics are done quite well, but overall it's a disappointment and certainly not worth the money. Too bad...
  43. Sep 18, 2012
    It's more like watching a game than playing one.
    Story, artwork and characters fine.
    Game play - poor. Dialogue options - poor. 1. Far too little freedom of movement. Not a bit too little ENORMOUSLY too little. The point and click system just doesn't cut it. 2. Dialogue options let you choose between one vapid answer and the other. Obvious smart answers are usually conveniently left
    It's more like watching a game than playing one.
    Story, artwork and characters fine.
    Game play - poor. Dialogue options - poor.

2. Dialogue options let you choose between one vapid answer and the other. Obvious smart answers are usually conveniently left out.
    3. Controls are awkward.

The game would have been enormously superior on a standard FPS system, but it would still need to add at least a passing shot at incisive dialogue options.
  44. Nov 11, 2012
    Complete waste of money. Nothing like cartoonish terrible graphics and the same outcomes every time. No matter what you choose it's the same outcomes the only thing that changes is the words people say. Unless you care for Story Time, don't bother.
  45. Nov 29, 2012
    I hope you enjoy having your saves rendered unplayable because that's what this game is all about. Your hard earned progress is likely to be wiped by a faulty save system when you try to resume playing. And guess what? YOU CAN'T SKIP DIALOGUE OR CUTSCENES. Unbearable. Such a great game but so terribly implemented.
  46. Jan 1, 2013
    I'll start of by saying that I do love the story line and I found the gameplay to be fun (It's more of an interactive story like Heavy Rain for PS3), but after a second play through it is easy to see that the game is actually quite linear.

I experienced multiple issues with this game that just made it frustrating to play through at times. Game saves would stop working properly after completing the first episode, and if I tried to continue from that saved file I would only be left with a black screen and no progress towards loading the game.

The mouse also acts up a lot. It seems that the further I got into the game the more stubborn the response is and I actually found myself rushing the last chapter just so I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.

In the end, I think the game warrants 1 play through at least. For zombie lovers out there the story will keep you on the edge of your seats. But as long as the same issues plague this game, replaying it will only prove to be more frustrating than entertaining. Telltale Games hasn't really taken any action towards fixing these issues though so I won't be holding my breath.
  47. Apr 27, 2012
    Not being an Adventure Genre fan, The Walking Dead was a gamble for me. I tried it since i thought the zombie survival plot would fit this genre better than most other topics, i was amazed. I have enjoyed it so much my view on the whole genre has changed. I highly recommend this game as a starting point to Adventure games, Specially if you are into other genres and you are interested inNot being an Adventure Genre fan, The Walking Dead was a gamble for me. I tried it since i thought the zombie survival plot would fit this genre better than most other topics, i was amazed. I have enjoyed it so much my view on the whole genre has changed. I highly recommend this game as a starting point to Adventure games, Specially if you are into other genres and you are interested in the Story side of those other games. Here you won't get to play a FPS, 3PS, RTS etc. (which before TLD i thought would beat adventure any day of the month) But it does come close to a really good RPG in the choice area (actually i wish many RPGs could really incorporate more things like this into their actual plots). It's true that the content from one decision to the other doesn't drastically change everything and many times plot devices are inserted to make things run leaving a bit of holes. But it's a zombie game! The whole idea is that Zombies are already plot devices in a fictional scenario. Still the story is compelling and full. So my recommendation is that if you want to shoot zombies, u have a lot of options and if you want everything to be just like it would be in real life... get one. This game is a great game and could re define the comic book experience imho. Just sit back, relax, stress, have fun and have emotions with choices that will make you wish to know what would happen if... and that is re playability. The only thing i wish they programed is a fast forward or skip button that u could unlock after you first run, since it would just be nice to fast forward through some of the already given story. Well in a nutshell. it's a comic book, tv program, movie... where you interact... just give it a try! i did... and i am already buying more adventure games. Expand
  48. Apr 27, 2012
    The games overall gameplay is something i have never experienced this is amazing im not a huge fan of the show but the game blew me away so i give it a 9 out of 10 the graphics are like a comic book which i love its the first episode out of five and its a time worth playing so for only 4.99 or 400 microsoft points its a steal.
  49. Apr 27, 2012
    I thought that the story was well done but the game mechanics were nothing to really write home about. If your a fan of zombies, The Walking Dead, or just good story telling then this is worth a look. I highly recommend.
  50. Apr 28, 2012
    This really is a fantastic start to the five-part horror "The Walking Dead".

This really is a fantastic start to the five-part horror "The Walking Dead".

Telltale's use of storyline layout make you, as the player choose the fate of certain characters. This isn't a game where you slice as many zombies as you can with a katana, this game makes clever use of minimal zombies to add a certain extent of fear, and the lack of zombies in certain parts show how dangerous it might be to cross one of them. I was sceptical about buying this at first, but playing this proved me very, very wrong. This is the saddest game I've ever played (well, with the exception of Portal 2's ending) I hated making horrible decisions and I did feel really sad at certain parts. Negatives : The Walking Dead relies too much on cutscenes and background visuals could be refined (hoping they'll make the backgrounds more scenic in the coming episodes.)

The voice acting is superb. Telltale have brought together some really awesome voice actors.
  51. Apr 30, 2012
    Telltale's Best Project yet! Walking Dead Ep1 is a great start for the series; it contains great locals, likable characters and great main protagonist, beautiful visuals and excellent storytelling and decision making. Whats really amazing about the story is that moral choice actually does matter, Choose to save one of the two and the consequences will be heavy. Overall the traditionalTelltale's Best Project yet! Walking Dead Ep1 is a great start for the series; it contains great locals, likable characters and great main protagonist, beautiful visuals and excellent storytelling and decision making. Whats really amazing about the story is that moral choice actually does matter, Choose to save one of the two and the consequences will be heavy. Overall the traditional puzzles that Telltale always includes in their games was missing but the story and the characters more than make up to that, Great game - 8.5/10 Expand
  52. May 3, 2012
    A really refreshing break from the usual zombie game, if you're looking for action look elsewhere, this is a game of storytelling and character building and it does this well, if this interests you I implore you to try it! It's also a welcome departure from the usual adventure game mould, it's still point and click but it pulls this off in an unusual way, and I for one am fond of theA really refreshing break from the usual zombie game, if you're looking for action look elsewhere, this is a game of storytelling and character building and it does this well, if this interests you I implore you to try it! It's also a welcome departure from the usual adventure game mould, it's still point and click but it pulls this off in an unusual way, and I for one am fond of the control scheme Telltale adopted. And to top it all off it has some really crisp comic style graphics and this looks fantastic, I gave it a 9 however for some weak voice acting at times. Other than this minor gripe, well done Telltale! Here's hoping the next episodes are of equal quality! Expand
  53. May 4, 2012
    I guess I am biased while talking about this because I freaking LOVE the comics. The show is good too, (but nothing near is awesome as the comics) , The game was good fun, though I feel it was kind of annoying to play. The click and point mechanic gets tiresome very quickly and kind of takes me out of the moment. If you go back and click on the same spot more than once, he just saysI guess I am biased while talking about this because I freaking LOVE the comics. The show is good too, (but nothing near is awesome as the comics) , The game was good fun, though I feel it was kind of annoying to play. The click and point mechanic gets tiresome very quickly and kind of takes me out of the moment. If you go back and click on the same spot more than once, he just says the same thing over and over and you can't stop the dialog once it starts. Definitely would have preferred a more open world, but I realize the developer wants a very scripted event to happen, which is fine I guess, just not what I would necessarily want with a video game. The biggest problem for me with this game, was it was extremely laggy. I don't see anyone else commenting about the lag so maybe it was just me, but with a game like this I would think it would be more optimized, it not like it is a game that will crush my system. get rid of the lag, and I would give this game a higher score, probably a 7. Expand
  54. May 6, 2012
    Simple and enjoyable, yet not worth the price of admission so far - I hope it gets better. I have never read the comics but I enjoy a good zombie game. I have always based my overall approval of a game based on how much time I get out of it compared to the price -- 1 hour of game play = $1 regardless of genre. As an example playing Skyrim I am way over 200 hours, and can say I got my valueSimple and enjoyable, yet not worth the price of admission so far - I hope it gets better. I have never read the comics but I enjoy a good zombie game. I have always based my overall approval of a game based on how much time I get out of it compared to the price -- 1 hour of game play = $1 regardless of genre. As an example playing Skyrim I am way over 200 hours, and can say I got my value for my dollar. COD, I don't play multiplayer and finish the single compaign in 10 hours (not worth the price for me). With Walking Dead Ep1. I finished the first episode in about 2 hours. If this is the same across all episodes then I would only get 10 hours... and I paid about $26 on Steam. Thus not worth the price for me. Not having read the comics the story line felt like it skipped or went through too fast. There were several scenes that felt disconnected or forced through the story. I did like the characters however and I believe the voice actors did a fine job. I look forward to the future episodes and hope the developers do more, I enjoyed the puzzles and choices presented. Expand
  55. May 6, 2012
    This is just the first episode, and it's already gotten me hooked to the story. Let me start by saying this: If you are going to buy this game just to mow down endless waves of zombies, DON'T. This isn't Left 4 Dead, this is a game that is about the actual survival aspect of a zombie survival game. The game makes it clear that if you try to fight more than one zombie by yourself, you areThis is just the first episode, and it's already gotten me hooked to the story. Let me start by saying this: If you are going to buy this game just to mow down endless waves of zombies, DON'T. This isn't Left 4 Dead, this is a game that is about the actual survival aspect of a zombie survival game. The game makes it clear that if you try to fight more than one zombie by yourself, you are going to die. If you want to survive in this game, you're going to have to be cunning, and think strategically.

The only complaint that I have with this game are the graphics. They aren't bad per se, but are low quality. This does mean that the game will run smoothly on any system, though. One more thing about the graphics though, is that they are very similar to those of The Sims 2. If you look at the facial expressions and animations, it's almost like they just made a third-person Sims: Zombie Survival game.

All in all, this game is AMAZING, and after the first 400 MB episode, is already worth the $25 I spent on it.
  56. May 13, 2012
    This is the first point and click game I've ever played that wasn't a flash game on a web browser. I was totally into the whole story. I could not put my controller down (I love the fact that you can use your xbox360 controller!) till I finished the chapter! I can't wait for the 2nd chapter to come out! :D There is a timer for almost every choice you make, so you have to make a decisionThis is the first point and click game I've ever played that wasn't a flash game on a web browser. I was totally into the whole story. I could not put my controller down (I love the fact that you can use your xbox360 controller!) till I finished the chapter! I can't wait for the 2nd chapter to come out! :D There is a timer for almost every choice you make, so you have to make a decision right away, which makes it more exciting and scary. The choices can be pretty hard, but the story really pushes you to choose. Being able to decide choices helps players to really get into the gameplay. I'm so glad I got this game, so I totally recommend it. 10/10 rating! Expand
  57. May 15, 2012
    I totally LOVED THIS GAME! Its scary and it lets you choose different possible ends! also the dialogue between characters is really awsome! loved it! cant wait for Episode 2!
  58. May 16, 2012
    The Walking Dead is a zombie game in the truest sense. It is an excellent simulation of the post apocalyptic zombie future which is gratifying in that it does not focus on the combat. The game focuses on story and characterization and does an excellent job with both. The timed dialogue choices mean that you don't choose strategically but with your gut.
  59. May 25, 2012
    The game can be some what fun in respect to the comic book and movie events with only less then 2 hours of gaming. Then on to what the game has to offer, lacks in the forced story line and the character control. well that just doesn't cut it. The original story line can not be changed no matter what decision is made the game still contnues in the direction it was forced into, also anyThe game can be some what fun in respect to the comic book and movie events with only less then 2 hours of gaming. Then on to what the game has to offer, lacks in the forced story line and the character control. well that just doesn't cut it. The original story line can not be changed no matter what decision is made the game still contnues in the direction it was forced into, also any time there is a puzzle to be solved any idea of interacting to solve it with a locial decision never seem to be the key to get it to work. The usage of items in the game that you would never think of using for a solution to puzzles is off the wall decision making.I hope the next episode is better then the first. I gave it a 4 because it did get less then 2 hrs of game play out of me and $20.00 out of my pocket. Expand
  60. Jun 2, 2012
    The guy fall allt the time, it´s so anoying. And a big grafic problem, it shutters at every scene change and my macbookpro is more hot than with game like Alana Wake or Diablo 3.
  61. Jun 3, 2012
    i love this game best game ever only thing is it not like what i thought it be going out killing zombie this more like how to survive in zombie holocaust
  62. Jul 17, 2012
    You remember that old game from the 1980's -- Dragon's Lair? the one where you made a choice and based on that choice you lived or died? That's exactly what Walking Dead is like. The game is a top-heavy scripted cartoon. Especially bothersome, the game doesn't require much in the way of intelligence to even play nor is it real challenging (unless you consider random illogical puzzlesYou remember that old game from the 1980's -- Dragon's Lair? the one where you made a choice and based on that choice you lived or died? That's exactly what Walking Dead is like. The game is a top-heavy scripted cartoon. Especially bothersome, the game doesn't require much in the way of intelligence to even play nor is it real challenging (unless you consider random illogical puzzles challenging). If you like games like Left 4 Dead, you're not gonna like this one very much......The controls of the game are totally confusing. You will find yourself dying in this cartoon not because you don't know what to do but rather because you do not know how to do it with the controls! You learn after a while, but it still upsetting that the controls are counter-intuitive. Perhaps they should have included a small tutorial that would get a player familiar with the controls.

Speaking of controls, moving around is equally junky. When you move the character around (via 3rd person) you can not move them around just anyway you like. The game severely limits movement and because of this, your perspective of the location is very limited. Coming off a game like Left For Dead, where observing what is going on in all directions is extremely vital to survival, this will drive you absolutely crazy.

I like a good story driven game as much as the next person, but that is not here. I enjoyed Neil Manke's They Hunger much more. It had a cool scripted story-line but wasn't restrictive in game play at all.

But with the Scripted Nature of this game, you will spend more time watching scripted cut-scene dialogues than actually Doing Anything. When you actually get to do something, it feels restrained- like a Choose Your Own Adventure Book. You find out it doesn't matter in any case because the story is only going in one direction (unlike a choose your own adventure book)!

I give the game props for a unique look. that's why it scored a 5, The rest of this game is solid 3.
    I saw some reviews on here where people said, don't rate it low if you don't like this type of game....HUH? That's like saying "don't rate the game if you don't like the game."

I got this game on sale, I'd wait for it to be five bucks before you buy it if you want to try it. It's seriously not worth more than that.
  63. Aug 22, 2012
    This game is absolutely amazing! It might simply be the best story ever told in a PC game. And the coolest thing: YOU are part of it, YOU are calling the shots, YOU decide where the narrative is heading. Forget all criticism about lame puzzles and little interaction. That's missing the point. If you want puzzles, play Puzzle Agent, if you want interaction, get yourself a Wii. Yet, if youThis game is absolutely amazing! It might simply be the best story ever told in a PC game. And the coolest thing: YOU are part of it, YOU are calling the shots, YOU decide where the narrative is heading. Forget all criticism about lame puzzles and little interaction. That's missing the point. If you want puzzles, play Puzzle Agent, if you want interaction, get yourself a Wii. Yet, if you want to enjoy a gripping plot, a thrilling rollercoaster of emotions and some seriously scary situations, then play the "Walking Dead". Expand
  64. May 15, 2013
    I just cant believe all those 7s 8s and nines...this is a very poor game, but i would still like and recommend this game if it had a valid choice system and intuiative game play...

take out the enthusiasm and there you have nothing...

try heavyrain...
  65. Feb 1, 2014
    This is my least favourite walking dead episode, as it is kind of slow until about 30 minutes before the end of the episode. However, it is forgivable, as the slowness is due to the characters needing to be introduced, and there are some important choices you can make towards the end of the episode.
  66. Apr 27, 2012
    a great game for people who like the book or show, cheap isn't bad either. can't wait for the next chapter. it's more than just a point and click too.
  67. Apr 27, 2012
    I am seriously sick of the way people review things on this site. For those of you who, if you didn't like something go straight to a zero, or even the people who go straight to a 10 for that matter. Seriously think about it, a zero would indicate that in all your years of playing games / watching tv and movies / listening to music, etc, whatever you are rating was the WORST thing youI am seriously sick of the way people review things on this site. For those of you who, if you didn't like something go straight to a zero, or even the people who go straight to a 10 for that matter. Seriously think about it, a zero would indicate that in all your years of playing games / watching tv and movies / listening to music, etc, whatever you are rating was the WORST thing you have ever seen or heard. In the same breath, a 10 is the best thing you have ever seen, nearing perfection. It's not rocket science people.

That short rant aside, the game was a very well done, albeit it short romp ( I know it's episodic ) into the Walking Dead universe, but the tone was very much intact. I personally have read the whole series to date as well as watched the well done show, and the tone of the series feels very fitting in this medium. I see people who would have liked to see a Resident Evil or Left 4 Dead style zombie game, but The Walking Dead isn't even centered on zombies as much as the character development of people in an apocalyptic environment. It has some excellent zombie killing action, but the message of the series has always been that the zombies are not the real danger, it's your fellow survivors.

Putting the game into a story driven, conversation style with some key choices and light puzzle work allows the player to have a bit of control to what is essentially a choose you own adventure story. Some timed mechanics make you feel a bit of the character's urgency in key moments, and the promise of a branching story dependent on choices you made throughout is what you're signing up for.

If you want a zombie shoot em up, they've been done, this is for the story, and does it well.
  68. Apr 29, 2012
    If you're a fan of the TV show or comic books you'll like this game. It's a "point and click" game but works because its different than all the other "run and gun" zombie shooters and "The Walking Dead" is all about story anyway. I would have like a little bit more options in how to progress through the game but I understand it's limited based on the context, voice acting, and type of gameIf you're a fan of the TV show or comic books you'll like this game. It's a "point and click" game but works because its different than all the other "run and gun" zombie shooters and "The Walking Dead" is all about story anyway. I would have like a little bit more options in how to progress through the game but I understand it's limited based on the context, voice acting, and type of game it is. For example, if I wanted I would like the choice of not getting a guy's meds instead of essentially being forced to get them. Otherwise game is awesome. Episode 1 took me about 2-2.5 hours but that's fair seeing as how the game is less than $5. I hope future episodes are 20-30 minutes longer. But if the total thing with all 5 episodes is 10-12 hours then I say it's well worth the $25. Just compare it to crap single player like COD with a 5-6 hr campaign for $60. Expand
  69. May 1, 2012
    I really have to congratulate Tell Tale Games for capturing the essence of The Walking Dead graphic novels (i.e. look/feel, violence, despair, etc) and translating that experience into a truly captivating game. This is a story driven adventure that focuses more on the dynamics between characters and the moral dilemmas that they face than it is about running around bashing zombiesI really have to congratulate Tell Tale Games for capturing the essence of The Walking Dead graphic novels (i.e. look/feel, violence, despair, etc) and translating that experience into a truly captivating game. This is a story driven adventure that focuses more on the dynamics between characters and the moral dilemmas that they face than it is about running around bashing zombies repeatedly. This is not to say that there isn't a healthy dose of zombie bashing, in fact there is a good amount of that, but it's not the main driver, which if you follow the TV show or novels, is the whole point. It's about day by day survival, trust of those around you and the constant feeling that your days are numbered.

I really look forward to the future episodes and my only complaint with this first episode was the length which is why I didn't give it a 10. I finished it up in less than an hour, which at $5 isn't a huge disappointment, but I feel that they could have given us a bit more. My hope is that they continue delivering high quality content in the future and go beyond the five episodes that are already scheduled.

Final point: If you're a fan of the graphic novel series, I'd be shocked if you didn't really enjoy this game.
  70. May 1, 2012
    "A new day", the first chapter of the episodic "Walking Dead" games by Tell Tale is a truly unique zombie experience. Focusing on the original source (The Comic) for story, players work their way through a handful of scenarios making the small and large choices that move along the story. Some confusion over the game is in its action beats. With it being an adventure game the pacing for"A new day", the first chapter of the episodic "Walking Dead" games by Tell Tale is a truly unique zombie experience. Focusing on the original source (The Comic) for story, players work their way through a handful of scenarios making the small and large choices that move along the story. Some confusion over the game is in its action beats. With it being an adventure game the pacing for action isn't as focused, which I find to put more pressure on survival rather than standing and fighting. Each walker encounter is terrifying and presents the option of death in any fight.

Familiar faces are found in locations around Georgia, and the episodic content makes for a brisk 60-90 minute story, much in the vein of watching an episode of the TV show. While I wasn't completely blown away by the first episode, I felt my stomach church as split second decisions needed to be made. Urgency dictates the amount of response time you have to make a decision, lest you stand by and say/do nothing. It's greatest flaw is grounded in the fact that the content is so short by episode, no detail can be discussed without majorly spoiling a chapter.
  71. May 1, 2012
    I love this game! I've played through it a couple of times now. BUT DO NOT GET THIS GAME IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A SHOOTER LIKE L4D. I can't wait for the next episode!
  72. May 1, 2012
    It's pretty fun but too short. Roughly 2 hours on Episode 1. Doesn't really play like a game, but rather like an interactive movie. I do like the characters and the acting, but some things are annoying like the simplicity of the game. It is almost impossible to ever fail or die. The 'puzzles' are supereasy and get rubbed in your face which is kind of a throwoff. Overall decent game but IIt's pretty fun but too short. Roughly 2 hours on Episode 1. Doesn't really play like a game, but rather like an interactive movie. I do like the characters and the acting, but some things are annoying like the simplicity of the game. It is almost impossible to ever fail or die. The 'puzzles' are supereasy and get rubbed in your face which is kind of a throwoff. Overall decent game but I hope for better interaction, much harder difficulty and longer playtime for the next episodes. Expand
  73. May 1, 2012
    To all those people who gave it a poor rating, remember it's a game! You are playing a character with a background, not you. By making it as open as possible, you run into issues not only in storyline, but also character development. Besides, WE ALL HAVE SOME KIND OF ZOMBIE SENSE! This world, they don't know about zombies. Onto the actual review. It is a decent game if you enjoy the TVTo all those people who gave it a poor rating, remember it's a game! You are playing a character with a background, not you. By making it as open as possible, you run into issues not only in storyline, but also character development. Besides, WE ALL HAVE SOME KIND OF ZOMBIE SENSE! This world, they don't know about zombies. Onto the actual review. It is a decent game if you enjoy the TV show and comic book series. 5 bucks for an "episode" that takes about 2 hours to complete is not a bad deal. The game does a fairly decent job on following the story style that The Walking Dead creators intended. The idea is for you to play as morally correct as possible. That means you can't do a Mass Effect or Fable type play of going "evil" because that is not the point of the storyline. Would you be the "evil" person in a zombie apocalypse? The game mechanics are definitely the limiting factor in the game. It was designed for the Xbox, and they did a port to PC. It's a bummer they did that, but these types of games are by far more popular on consoles than PCs. The controls suffer on the PC, and from gameplay footage from the console does seem to be that reaction type is slower than PC, but that is a moot point in the grand scheme of the game. A good thing about the game is the replay value. There were points of the game where I wanted to do a "quick save" and switch my choice to see if I made a better decision, but with no feature like that in the game, it makes it a lot more fun and interesting.One cool aspect is after the episode, it gives you stats on what other players did in their campaigns and shows you how you fared with them. Lastly, as a piece advice to "hardcore gamers": this game is not intended to be played like an arcade game that CoD has burned into your brains. Video games are art, and EA/Activision have turned into reusing the same vomit every year. This game has a very good artistic view, and it flows well into the game's universe. I gave it an 8/10 due to the console to PC port flaws. Expand
  74. May 4, 2012
    As someone who normally hates zombie & horror games, I found myself apprehensive to try The Walking Dead. However, after reading the comments left by others on the site, I decided to give it a try. I admit, what I found was not what I was expecting at all... I found a game that shows you the other side of the zombie apocalypse: the dramatic side that showcases that every little decisionAs someone who normally hates zombie & horror games, I found myself apprehensive to try The Walking Dead. However, after reading the comments left by others on the site, I decided to give it a try. I admit, what I found was not what I was expecting at all... I found a game that shows you the other side of the zombie apocalypse: the dramatic side that showcases that every little decision you make, big or small, could have devastating consequences for anyone else. I found myself deeply engrossed in the story from the moment I started playing, and even though Episode 1 is only around two hours long, I felt myself being incredibly connected to each of these characters. If you're looking for a game where you survive by going "Rambo" (aka Resident Evil, Left 4 Dead etc.), then this is definitely not your game (even though you still will brutally kill some zombies in very unique ways). But if you're looking for a zombie game with a deep story, likable characters, and decisions that have the steepest of consequences and keep you on your toes, this is definitely worth checking out. I know there are many reviewers stating that your choices "don't matter", but remember that this is still only the first of five episodes. Knowing that, I am excited to see where the choices that I made will lead me up through episode five. Expand
  75. May 4, 2012
    In my opinion The Walking Dead: Episode 1 is very good balance between adventure and some kind of action game. It is very hard to give it a genre, but that is NOT important at all. Which is, the game is "new kind" of genre and it is fluid. Visually, graphic is cartoon type, action is very interesting and the sound is great at least. For those, such as myself, who love The Walking DeadIn my opinion The Walking Dead: Episode 1 is very good balance between adventure and some kind of action game. It is very hard to give it a genre, but that is NOT important at all. Which is, the game is "new kind" of genre and it is fluid. Visually, graphic is cartoon type, action is very interesting and the sound is great at least. For those, such as myself, who love The Walking Dead TV-Shows it have what we imagined and hoping for. Maybe little bit more of shooting, but I am very very satisfied. The only thing wich bothering me, is the fact that the game is very short and as soon as i finished it, i question myself when The Walking Dead: Episode 2 will be out and trying to find out. Expand
  76. May 4, 2012
    This is one of my favourite games that I've played in recent months, very well written storyline and fun gameplay mechanics. A must buy if you are a fan of either the comic book series or the TV Show, it really does justice to the whole Walking Dead world.
  77. Koo
    Jun 3, 2012
    Overall a great game. The story is involving, and the characters are interesting. The only thing I don't like about TWD game is the point-and-click interface. It would be fine, except that the area you have to click is completely random, and inconsistent from one object to the next. I got stuck at one point and resorted to a walkthrough because of this area issue. The walkthrough toldOverall a great game. The story is involving, and the characters are interesting. The only thing I don't like about TWD game is the point-and-click interface. It would be fine, except that the area you have to click is completely random, and inconsistent from one object to the next. I got stuck at one point and resorted to a walkthrough because of this area issue. The walkthrough told me I should have clicked an object that I DID click... just not the tiny area that is enabled for mouse over context selection. :( If it wasn't for this extremely annoying shortcoming, I could rate this game 10/10. Until Telltale Games fixes this in a patch, however, this game rates 8/10 for me. Expand
  78. May 9, 2012
    The concept of a "series" based game is what made me purchase The Walking Dead. I like the idea that I will be given the next episode at a later date, giving a whole new dimension to the gaming experience. As for the game its self, well, graphically nice, story great, but I just felt too restricted with the controls and camera that the game just did not "flow" right for me. I intendThe concept of a "series" based game is what made me purchase The Walking Dead. I like the idea that I will be given the next episode at a later date, giving a whole new dimension to the gaming experience. As for the game its self, well, graphically nice, story great, but I just felt too restricted with the controls and camera that the game just did not "flow" right for me. I intend running through the first episode again now I understand the mechanics better, but I'm sure I will feel I'm cheating! I will look forward to Steam sending me the next instalment and for price and playtime I would recommend it. Expand
  79. May 9, 2012
    Provided you are aware that this game is neither in the Survival Horror genre OR the Adventure genre, then there's no reason why you won't enjoy the heck out of it! While I love the Adventure genre, I have yet to encounter any game by Telltale that I enjoyed. Up to now I've pretty much hated every game they've done. Well, they finally broke the mold and put out a heck of a fine game,Provided you are aware that this game is neither in the Survival Horror genre OR the Adventure genre, then there's no reason why you won't enjoy the heck out of it! While I love the Adventure genre, I have yet to encounter any game by Telltale that I enjoyed. Up to now I've pretty much hated every game they've done. Well, they finally broke the mold and put out a heck of a fine game, and yet ironically it isn't in the genre they're known for. Do NOT assume this is another Telltale cookie-cutter Adventure snorefest. Puzzles are not their strong suit, but fortunately the gameplay in this title does not have much use for puzzles. They're not meant to be brain teasers like in a classic Adventure game, rather in this game they are meant to either increase tension (find a quick way to distract the zombies over by the TV store) or create empathy with certain characters (administering a band aid to a youngster).

As far as the gameplay is concerned, it is basically identical to The Indigo Prophecy, but with much better graphics, story, acting, and execution. If you were intrigued by the gameplay of Indigo Prophecy but hated the shoddy execution, then you really should check this game out because it succeeds where the other failed.

People expecting survival horror will be disappointed by the lack of spontaneous action. People expecting Adventure will be disappointed by the lack of any real puzzles.

BUT, those people who expect to be drawn into a well-told, beautifully rendered interactive story will find this very entertaining. Dialogue in this game is more than just methodically selecting every dialogue choice in the tree just to get all the content out of the game. Most dialogue choices are timed which really adds to both the tension and the immersion: if you say something that offends somebody, you can't just make it all better by then choosing the other dialogue choice. This means it really matters what you say in most instances. AND it really adds to the replay value, which would otherwise be non-existent for a game with no action gameplay. For me, the desire to find out what would have happened if I said something else was irresistible, yet there is no way to undo what you've said until you play the game again. This may sound annoying but trust me, you won't get bored listening to the dialogue because so much depends on you really meaning what you say.

I am totally unfamiliar with the comic which inspired this game. I cannot say whether it does the comic justice, but it certainly made me curious to check it out and learn more.

So far the story is fairly generic for a zombie apocalypse retread: strangers brought together from dissimilar backgrounds learning to cooperate with each other to defeat a common, slow-moving, brain-eating undead enemy. Nevertheless, I am totally hooked. With only the first episode out so far, who knows which way the story could go, but if the beginning is any indication of the rest, it might not take the zombie apocalypse story into new original territory, but it nevertheless is a worthy addition to the genre. And I'm not one of those zombie-game fanboys; frankly I've been getting a little sick of zombie-related stuff. I really liked the original George Romero film but most stuff since then has just been so cheesy. Regardless, I still loved this game.
  80. May 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll be serious. I'm not into zombie games; I get bored of the same old hack n' slash action and the witty one-liners. But TellTale Games' "The Walking Dead" is something else - it's not just the 'same old' - its an episodic well-done masterpiece - action, adventure and even an element of puzzle. Presented in a comicy graphic style, the game opens with Lee, a convicted murderer, driving out of Atlanta on the way to prison. During this scene, you're introduced to the choices that shape the story (although, these ones don't have any effect on the rest of the story), prompting a different response which the character will remember. This is the case when choosing who should live and who should die, or sticking and siding with a certain character - if you are loyal, you will be rewarded. The thing for me that sets the game apart from others is the emotional value of the characters - by the end of the first episode, I had begun to develop a sense of care for Clementine and emotion for the entire ensemble. Then again, its not just the other characters - you begin to develop a bond with Lee, the main character, especially when you go and start a second game - you try to make him a tough, no-nonsense kind of guy, who doesn't care about anyone but himself - but you don't, because it doesn't feel right. I cannot critique the game's story or characters or game-play in any way - but I did experience a couple of problems with the game's performance - despite being perfectly matched to my laptop's specs. Sometimes the game's cutscenes lagged and paused, or sometimes the sound was repeated or out-of-sync - only small problems, but nevertheless problems that could be fixed with a simple patch.

Despite those defects, The Walking Dead is definitely a fantastic game that spins off from the zombie genre gamers have come to know and love. I personally can't wait for episode two (each episode is released monthly) and another couple of hours of gameplay. I'd definitely recommend you to buy this (even though the season pass is about £21 on Steam and even if you haven't followed the franchise), because this is an excellent game-changer from that zombie genre we're all too familiar with.
  81. May 10, 2012
    Simple game play, but its great to go though the story. Fun and I really enjoyed playing through the game a few times just to see what would change. Great fun.
  82. May 11, 2012
    Amazing start to a promising series.Was very sceptical since i hated back to the future, and jurassic park. But i loved the Monkey Island ones. They really captured what i felt was the essence of what the walking dead is about! I await the second episode eagerly!!
  83. May 12, 2012
    This game is great. I wasn't expecting much considering how most games based off of a movie, tv show, comic, etc turn out to be, but this game certainly exceeded my expectations. The story so far is engaging and I like the characters as well. The art style is nice too. The only problems with the game are that the animations especially during conversation are weird and the controls are aThis game is great. I wasn't expecting much considering how most games based off of a movie, tv show, comic, etc turn out to be, but this game certainly exceeded my expectations. The story so far is engaging and I like the characters as well. The art style is nice too. The only problems with the game are that the animations especially during conversation are weird and the controls are a bit stiff, but it's nothing that breaks the game. I would recommend playing this game on a console however, the controls were obviously made for them. Expand
  84. May 14, 2012
    one of the best games this year, and one of the most exciting adventures. Although the graphics in this game is not very interesting (but who recently drew attention to the chart tell me?), But the plot, characters, dialogue carried on the top ten and this game should be on the list of the best games from Telltale games
  85. May 14, 2012
    this game is not for everyone however i loved it, i dont like the episode way of releasing i really want to play the next part and i want to see the effect of my decision
  86. May 15, 2012
    Very good game. I'm not a big fan of the graphics but they are ok. the characters are interesting. The developers didn't just develop a classic point and click adventure but something more modern. Dialogues are solid as is voice acting. It's sometimes frustrating to notice that some choices don't really matter but those that do are rewarding. I can't wait for the second episode
  87. May 20, 2012
    Telltale have really out done themselves with this first in the series of Walking Dead games. Having read many of the comics, the episodic formula certainly fits the series. If you've played any of telltales previous games and been put off the generic point and click functions, the good news is that they've taken the initiative and delivered a new and compelling control scheme [best playedTelltale have really out done themselves with this first in the series of Walking Dead games. Having read many of the comics, the episodic formula certainly fits the series. If you've played any of telltales previous games and been put off the generic point and click functions, the good news is that they've taken the initiative and delivered a new and compelling control scheme [best played with a controller]. The characters and voice over work are great and in this first episode there's a nice inclusion of a couple of key character from the comics. While the puzzles aren't particularly challenging, they work well to progress the story and help build empathy and distrust alike for the characters you meet. It's hard to review a game like this without giving away a plot point so it is quite brief; however if you enjoy zombies, story and characters then treat yourself to The Walking Dead. The series may run the risk of becoming to repetitive but only time will tell if the subsequent episodes can build of the momentum this one creates. Expand
  88. May 20, 2012
    Pros: Gret graphics voice acting and multiple well written scenerios. The characters are also very memorable. Choices made in the game creates a genuine feeling of tension rarely found in other gam
    Cons: Very linear, limiting replay value somewhat. Choices on action is somewhat limited. Point and click gaming of this sort is not for everyone.
  89. May 22, 2012
    Amazing game! I thought the story was great but if you are someone who likes games where you walk around shooting zombies then this is not for you. It's about the decisions you make and the characters remember the actions you take. This game is a lot like Heavy Rain (excluding the story) and I cannot wait for the second episode, in this game series, to come out.
  90. May 22, 2012
    If you're a fan of the comics or television show, get this game. If you enjoy a good story, get this game. This is an adventure game, but without all the pixel hunting. This should be used as the template for future adventure games. Timed dialogue forces your decisions based on instinct. If you're new to adventure games, I'd recommend watching some gameplay videos first to make sure thisIf you're a fan of the comics or television show, get this game. If you enjoy a good story, get this game. This is an adventure game, but without all the pixel hunting. This should be used as the template for future adventure games. Timed dialogue forces your decisions based on instinct. If you're new to adventure games, I'd recommend watching some gameplay videos first to make sure this is the genre for you. There are plenty of videos online showing the first 10min of gameplay, so not much is spoiled. The only annoyance is paying for the full price on Steam and waiting this long for the next installment. Of course being angry that you can't play more kinda just speaks to how much I like the game. Awesome game, get it now. Expand
  91. May 24, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game. It was a little short, but the entire game was filled with content and it didn't feel like you were just going through the motions. Each scene had a point and it was fun too see how it turned out. Can't wait for the next episode!

-1 for shortness
  92. May 24, 2012
    This game is a must for Walking Dead fans since it provides insight before the series started. Players are allowed to make choices in the game with no real wrong choice besides dying but will be shortly revived to continue the story. All in all, it's a fun experience seeing how the choices you make influence the storyline and has pretty good replayability and game time for the firstThis game is a must for Walking Dead fans since it provides insight before the series started. Players are allowed to make choices in the game with no real wrong choice besides dying but will be shortly revived to continue the story. All in all, it's a fun experience seeing how the choices you make influence the storyline and has pretty good replayability and game time for the first episode. Already looking forward to the next one. Expand
  93. May 31, 2012
    I'm not even sure I would call this a game - it's like one of those "choose your adventure" books. Huge Walking Dead fan here, so had to have this and am glad I got it. But I'm also an avid computer gamer (going on 25 years now) and if I referred this to my other gaming friends - those who aren't into the Walking Dead - as a "must have" game, they'd never trust my opinion again.

Think

Think the voice acting and art work is terrific. The limited character movement and generic choices in this point and click story are weak to average at best.

If you're a Walking Dead fan, you won't be disappointed. However, if you're a gamer looking for another zombie shoot 'em up like L4D2 or rpg/action game like Dead Island, I'd look elsewhere.
  94. Jun 11, 2012
    Adventure games are not for everyone. No question about it. However, my girlfriend and I found Walking Dead to be a great couples gaming experience. It's an adventure game that incorporates elements of film, but with enough quick decision making and branching plot aspects to keep you from feeling like you're just hitting continue. Simply put, if Walking Dead is an interactive movie, it isAdventure games are not for everyone. No question about it. However, my girlfriend and I found Walking Dead to be a great couples gaming experience. It's an adventure game that incorporates elements of film, but with enough quick decision making and branching plot aspects to keep you from feeling like you're just hitting continue. Simply put, if Walking Dead is an interactive movie, it is a really, really fun one. Pros: The storytelling is deeply engaging, truly top shelf for video games. The animation, voice acting, writing and story arc are all genuinely good and engaging. It doesn't feel like settling for a second-rate story just because it is a game (MMORPG anyone?) . The choices feel important, stilted maybe, but important nonetheless. Cons: The graphics were not stellar, they are very well used and the game looks and feels good, but the modeling itself seemed a little simplistic. Despite claiming to react to your play style and choices, I would describe Walking Dead as a game with a simple branching plot (at least thus far). However even if it is a 'con' it is a huge step forward from the typical point and click adventure.

The first episode took around 3 hours to complete. One of the best games (especially adventure games) I've played in years. Can't wait for the next installment.
  95. Jun 14, 2012
    Good and interesting game but it has its drawbacks. Too short, the second episode won't soon, and finally i think that The Walking Dead(it's my opinion) is a parody for Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain. But this "parody" is good.
  96. Jun 29, 2012
    I discovered the walking dead comics after this game, who gave me the taste to try it (and usually i m not so much a comic book reader) or a zombie fan...
    The story is great so far, but there is still a big issue with keyboard configuration: playing on an azerty keyboard, you can't change keymapping and thus rely on arrow keys, which is frankly not good for a game on pc...
    Otherwise,
    Otherwise, very cool little game, i just hope they will fix this keyboard problem for the next episodes
  97. Jul 1, 2012
    Amazing start Telltale! I love TV series about Walking Dead and they are announced the game about it i was surprised cause their prev. games was not so cool. But quality and game style, relationships between the characters and interactivity make a great game about survival-emotional story of ppl against zombies
  98. Jul 2, 2012
    If you're a big fan of the walking dead series and point and click games this is a guaranteed pleaser! This game is more about surviving as a group then actually running around killing zombies so if you're looking for a shoot em up this isn't it!!
    The game ties in with events that occur before the comic and T.V series so you do encounter people form the original series so the story has a tendency of merging with that of the original which gives it that feeling you're actually apart of the original story and not just some authentic made up rip off!
    Every episode is released every month, my only problem is that there are only 5 episodes in total, I'm hoping they do additional seasons as I believe this game is not just enjoyable to gamers but Walking Dead fans around!!
  99. Jul 2, 2012
    I would say roughly 3/5 of the negative reviews for this are just people who are unfamiliar with the concept of point-and-click adventure games, some of whom have actively admitted to only purchasing it because of the title. If you're looking for a survival horror game or shooter of any sort, you're going to be disappointed, because that's not what this game is about (and it's not what theI would say roughly 3/5 of the negative reviews for this are just people who are unfamiliar with the concept of point-and-click adventure games, some of whom have actively admitted to only purchasing it because of the title. If you're looking for a survival horror game or shooter of any sort, you're going to be disappointed, because that's not what this game is about (and it's not what the brand is about, so I don't know why you would be expecting that in the first place).

I'll admit right away that this isn't a great game. The story isn't phenomenal, and sometimes you're pigeonholed into saying things or making decision you don't like, but that's the nature of pretty much every story/character driven video game ever made, so it's to be expected to an extent. What's there, though, is generally well executed, and unless you're going in with unrealistic expectations or you're looking for another genre entirely, you should be pleasantly surprised.

1. Jul 8, 2012
    Great both standalone and as a gateway to a larger series. Let's hope it all pans out. [July 2012, p.76]
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    A slow-burn character study, some quick thinking and a constant air of menace make for a gripping start to a new adventure. [July 2012, p.68]
  3. Jun 28, 2012
    Rich atmosphere compensates for poor gameplay mechanics of The Walking Dead.