8.4

1. Jul 4, 2012
    Awesome graphics. Awesome story. Actual consequences to your decisions. No ability to "Save-and-reload", much to the chagrin of the cheat code generation. A little clunky in the movement interface and some odd story elements that go nowhere, but overall, I loved it. I've only played a handful of adventure games in my life, never really caring for them. This game proves that if the story and voice acting are good enough, I'll love it. I hope this is watermark for the gaming industry to begin focusing on story, characters and consequences. Expand
  2. Jul 10, 2012
    I took a bit of a chance buying The Walking Dead, as I'm only vaguely familiar with the comic and was turned off to the TV series once it became Dawson's Creek with the occasional zombie cameo. Fortunately I wasn't let down, as the story is top notch. The Walking Dead isn't an RPG, FPS or really any other modern, gaming related acronym. You don't 'fight' zombies so much as you figure out ways to get around them and progress. I would describe it as an interactive, survival-themed story, with elements of item-scrounging and puzzle solving from earlier adventure games. You make choices throughout that can have outcomes further down the line. It's true that the choices that revolve around characters are simple A vs. B, but there are other things that pop up which add quite a bit of depth to conversations, like how open you want to be about your past. The episodic content, while probably not the best delivery method for a video game, leaves you wanting more. Each episode is about 2 hours long. Bottom line, if you like zombie games but are bored of the shooters flooding the market, give this one a try. Expand
  3. Jul 13, 2012
    For everybody saying your choices makee nothing, play the rest episode then JUDGE. Your choices do affect your progress in the next episode. Beside, you dont need to be a zombie fan to love this game- im not, and I completely loved this game. Well done, TTG
  4. Jul 18, 2012
    First of I consider The Walking Dead more as TV-Series where you can make some decisions rather than a game. If you care and talk to all characters you meet, you will get a nice packed story. One of my few critic points is the fact that your movement-ability is really limited.
  5. Jul 23, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed episode 1, it has some similar mechanics to Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) which was quite a defining game with the game mechanics that were added to the adventuring/interactive drama genre. It is heavily story driven and the "puzzles" are easy to get through but well worth the purchase. If you turn off some of the prompting it is difficult in the sense it's hard to figure out where to click as the margin for error is small. Overall a game I wouldn't skip over. Expand
  6. Jul 24, 2012
    If you are like me and learned of this series due to the TV show and not the comic then you will be in for surprise. This could be either a good or bad thing depending on what your expectations are. If you're hoping for it to follow the same story with the same characters from the show then you will be disappointed, however you will notice similarities between the two. Now if you DO know of the comics, or you are willing to look past the tv series differences then you will find much enjoyment out of the story presented.

Those of you new to point and click adventures will have no trouble delving right into this title. The game play is pretty straightforward relying mostly on the player to either make decisions or solve puzzles. Also nothing is so cryptic that you'll feel the urge to go search for answers on the internet, but some areas may stump some people more than others. There are moments that require quick reflexes, but not so much that you're distracted from taking in the story and atmosphere. Sadly, this game offers little in replay value because of the way it is played but most people will want to play the episodes at least twice to see the outcome of different choices made.

The sound and visuals are all nicely done. The game has a certain comic book style about it (and with good reason since it is based off a comic). There is a nice amount of detail in each character and scene. The game does have a few graphical glitches from time to time though. Occasionally objects might clip through the camera, and sometimes objects and people have a tendency to sort of stutter in the world. It doesn't happen so often that it is problematic though, but it can take you out of the moment for a brief second when it happens. The music and voice really help set the tone for each scene. Most of the voice acting is done very nicely. Characters display emotion which will make some of the decisions you have to make that much harder when the time comes.

This game isn't for everyone, but for those of you that like a casual/relaxed play style so you can focus on story you should enjoy this.
  7. Aug 17, 2012
    Not nearly as good as Episode 2, but still well written and a good start to a hopefully/probably good game. Due to the episodic character of the game, this exposition was a bit too short for my taste and there was not yet enough dramatic development.
  8. Aug 18, 2012
    This is not open world, this is not a shooter, this is a TellTale game, an adventure, like a book or movie you get to play through. All the Red reviews seem to not understand that and haven't had experiences with games in this genre before. As an adventure game, this is tops, it is incredible. Voice acting is amazing, the design is beautiful (even the zombies) and the story is gripping and wonderful. Expand
  9. Aug 29, 2012
    This game isn't perfect, but it's the walking dead game we all were looking for. Too bad animations are not that great, but the graphic is overall satisfying as it resembles the comic. 8,5.
  10. Aug 29, 2012
    There are many presentation problems with The Walking Dead Episode 1, like lag, poor voice sync, and some pausing during gameplay. But the story is so engaging, I looked past most of these problems. I felt like I was part of The Walking Dead universe thanks to the decision making and dialogue choices. Episode 1 set a high bar and I'm looking forward to playing the next episode.
  11. Oct 6, 2012
    No game has ever made me feel emotion like this. A top-notch creation from Telltale Games, and their best work yet. Puzzles are perhaps a little simplistic though, so don't expect difficult puzzles if that's what you want.
  12. Oct 13, 2012
    The game has a style of an interactive video. The story line of this game is amazing and makes you want to play more. Different options you pick depend on how you turn out in the end and how people reflect to you. I have completed the new Episode 4 and excited to play more to see how this long journey ends. I rate this 10 of 10 for being an original game that gives a new feel and style to the gaming community with an awesome story to back all of that up. It is a must get! Why are you still reading this?! BUY THE GAME!! Expand
  13. Oct 16, 2012
    This, just like the rest of Tell-Tale's games I've played, is a very well done interactive story. If you are looking for a heavy action-oriented game, or an RPG, or a more traditional puzzle or point and click adventure game, look elsewhere. What the game does is tell a gritty, brutal, and interesting story very well, and give you enough choices that actually do affect the story. Some people said the options were cosmetic, this is not true. After having played the next couple of episodes after this one, the choices you make DO MATTER. Different people react to you depending on the side you take during conflicts, who you choose to save during zombie attacks, etc. Many times the game makes you choose between two equally bad options. This a a masterpiece of moral ambiguity. I personally think this is one of the most realistic post-apocalyptic games I've played. There is no good choice or bad choice, just a choice. If you take too long to decide who to save, they both could die. Some people complained about the time limits on conversations and in attacks and such, but I feel like this makes it more real. If you are talking to someone and wait to long to say something, it gets awkward and they walk away or change the subject. The game works like that, makes things flow like they would in real life. The art style is like a comic book. The game is based on a comic book. It makes sense, and I like it. If you want a graphically intensive hyper-realistic zombie game, play Dead Island. This is basically an interactive comic book and the art style reflects that. The first episode is the shortest one, about 45 minutes or so. The second episode was about an hour and a half. The third episode was around 3 hours. I haven't played the other two, but if they each continue to get bigger, the game will end up being decently long. All in all, a great game, and a welcome expansion to The Walking Dead canon. Expand
  14. Nov 5, 2012
    It's a **** 10! Best game ever! some people dont like it.. Don't play it if you dont like it..................................................................................................
  15. Nov 11, 2012
    Good story, as it should be. The first time I played this game through, I was nervous about making choices; those were good and interesting though troublesome. If you like watching movies and dramas, I recommend this game. if you are looking for action game or RPG, don't buy it.
  16. Nov 13, 2012
    Simply Awesome, Amazing game, i always wanted to play Heavy Rain but as i am a pc gamer i never got to play it, but this one is like it, but in horror genre, i liked this game, it is worth buying
  17. Nov 22, 2012
    Game was amazing. So much fun to play and kept me wanting to come back for more in the second episode. I would highly recommend the series to anyone that is into the walking dead, likes a good story, or has nostalgia for choose your own adventures.
  18. Nov 24, 2012
    Great game. I don't understand why this game has a score of 8.2 but I love it. Everyone should play it. Skip halo,call of duty and of the other AAA titles out there. This kind of story telling is not found any where else. For all the bugs that people say it has I have yet to encounter any of them(I play on PC) I think this game has made me have feelings for games I have not had since the old days super Nintendo games. Expand
  19. Nov 24, 2012
    The entirety of the Walking Dead ep. 1-5 (I'll review the entirety of the series) lacks somewhat as a video game in that the game play is rather annoying with simplistic puzzle solving but as a storytelling experience it is outstanding. The story is awesome to put it plainly with a diverse range of great characters. Throughout the game your disposition towards each of them will swing profoundly and this along with your own morality will affect the decisions you make. Some decisions change the game and story dramatically but even if they don't it is satisfying to see even the most minute dialogue choice acknowledged in actions later in the game. Ultimately though this game made me care about the story and its characters, something that only a small minority of games have done and it remains the only one to have actually made me cry upon its conclusion.

The gameplay itself has its drawback but the game itself is a work of art even if it is slightly flawed. Think of it as the Mona Lisa painted with crayons.
  20. Nov 24, 2012
    So, i watched the first season of The Walking Dead (TV Series) and was mind blown when i heard there was a video game about it, so i bought it, and oh boy, i did´nt regret it, it is very addicting, and that is always good.
  21. Nov 24, 2012
    Telltale does just that - they bring to life compelling characters and a rich and captivating story. It's a great experience and a lot of fun. A great game and a great series!
  22. Nov 25, 2012
    I usually never comment on video game, but I feel that I had to do it for this game. If u want a good adventure game with really nice anime like graphics and rock solid story, this game is for you.

Long time I didn't enjoyed a game like that. The story is as good as the TV series. Characters are credible, and the choices you make really affect the story.

Beside that the game has a
    good replay value, you can play it again and try different course of actions.

Don't listen to the few bad reviews, most of them rate this game badly just because they doesn't like the genre (Its not a FPS game neither a open world game).
  23. Nov 25, 2012
    I will write this review based on all 5 episodes, mostly because it would be useless to write the same thing 5 times in a row and, most importantly, this is the pilot episode and so it's best to start here and tell if the game is worth or not. Also, I'm not a fan of the tv series so I have no idea if it follows the series or not, so I'm playing from the unknown. In any case, this game it's a great story with well developed characters and a very good setting. The game is a sort of point and click game and it's highly based on quicktime events and quick answers: the game will register your choices and they'll be shown later with different results and different characters. As an adventure game is actually kinda mediocre because they are very few and not that hard: just need a bit of searching. Also, you're not always controlling the character and you'll mostly do the talking and choices more than anything else. There are also parts where you shoot and have to aim with your weapons but it's nothing special: it's more about reflexes than anything. With this out of the way, I do have "one" big complain: the choices. The game as I said will give you choices in what to do, who to save, what actions to make etc, and some of them will eventually change the adventure (the game itself says "the story is tailored by how you play"). However, these choices aren't extreme: you'll just change some minor parts and relations with other characters, which is nice, but the story will be the exact same each time and that alone is kind of small mainly because this would be actually a great game if the choices you made would change the story as well, even in a worse way! This game somehow resembles Heavy Rain, with the difference that ,in there, your choices actually HAVE consequences and actually DO change the story, while in here is only a glimpse. and kinda disappointing. But it's still a great adventure game nevertheless and I really enjoyed playing it to the end (again, this review is made after all 5 episodes are out, and my complaints are the same for all 5 episodes). Maybe it's a bit short (each episode last about 2-3 hours, depending on how fast you're are) but it's kinda replayable if you want to try differently some choices and stuff; it's not costy also (about 25 euros/dollars. I bought on discount though) so it's definitely worth a looking if you're thirsty of adventure games with good stories and good characters: you will have a good time, no matter the flaws. Expand
  24. Nov 25, 2012
    Telltale earned a fan with this game. It is simply amazing, one of the best game experiences Ive ever had. Metacritic is making me write more but nothing else needs to be said.
  25. Nov 26, 2012
    The walking dead is an interactive story with mild puzzle elements to it. The story starts excellently with you quickly growing attached to the characters and with a real feeling of influence over the games direction. While playing this game you have to wonder how much money was spent to diversify the storyline. You find out in the latter episodes that actually none, none at all. The choices are little more than an illusion. But as stories go this one is better than 90% of other games hence the high score. The latter episodes, however, i am marking down for a myriad of dissapointments. Expand
  26. Nov 28, 2012
    I literally just finished Ep 5 about 15 minutes ago, and all I can say is, if you're a fan of The Walking Dead in any way, shape or form, or you are a fan of great stories, then this series is for you.

I would be willing to concede that the game isn't the most impressive visually, or the most innovative, however, this series makes up for it so well in story, and character depth, that I
    am willing to waive it's (arguable) flaws for it's colossal strengths.

At the asking price for this game, there is really no excuse to at least check out Episode 1, which I am sure, will impress and lead you to get the remainder of the episodes and be in for a real treat.

I hope some people may find this collection of my opinions as incentive to try out this gem of a game series. It is most certain to keep you interested and attached right to the very end.
  27. Dec 6, 2012
    I bought this game because I really liked the show, and the good thing about this game is the amazing story line. Some of the episodes in the game I found to be more interesting than those of the show. However I don't feel like your choices really changed the game, some of the situations had the same outcome no matter which option you chose. I won't lie though there are places where the things you choose change, but it is mostly to do with your group. At the end of the episode you will still end up in the same place and have achieved almost the same thing. This doesn't mean that the game isn't enjoyable over all, it's actually quite fun.

If you want a game that will give you lots of play time like COD or L4D2 however, I don't believe this is it, it is not created to be a full out slaughter of zombies. It's original though and if you like the show or have read the story, I would recommend playing it.
  28. Dec 11, 2012
    Just finished playing through the 5 episodes. This game is the best thing I have played all year, I'm not kidding. The setting, the plot and the twists kept me going for hours and I just couldn't put it down. No game this year made me feel like that.

Definitely worth every penny. In fact it's worth more that its price.
  29. Dec 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Perhaps the greatest accomplishment of the series is that it neither falls to the stereotype of zombie games (other than, of course, being a zombie game) nor reduces itself to the sheer point-and-click horror of many adventure games. It is worth mentioning that it could tailor itself a bit better to your choices, as many of the choices you decide to make end up resolving themselves to one plotline a little while down the road, but as far as immediate effects go you certainly can see some measure of fluctuation based on your decisions.

The gameplay is alright, and good as far as adventure games go, although you'll want to buy this game for the story. It's one of the few games you play a black guy in, so I find it a little iffy that the whole series begins with you in the back of a cop car, but I managed to ignore that. You're in this situation because you murdered someone - who or why you never quite find out - which is a characteristic that has some importance later on, but eventually you realize that murderers in a zombie apocalypse aren't that unique. You adopt, as far as that term can be defined given the circumstances, an abandoned young girl whose baby sitter had a bad case of the brain munchies and soon begin to become her father figure, with her real parents on a trip in Savannah. So you can pretty much predict the main conclusion themes of the story from there, but the ride over the next four episodes is still full of twists and turns that will keep you scrolling from the credits of one episode (they're laid out much like a TV miniseries) to the beginning of the next.

Zombie stories typically fall into one of three categories. The first is "none at all", where the story exists solely to convey limitless bloodshed, the second is hopelessly absurd, in which some massive cure-bomb reverts the entire planet, and the third is hopelessly nihilistic, which is what this game tends to fall under. Each great boon and potential end to your group's woes ends up being a death trap or a pipe dream, and as the hope fades, tensions grow, and from those tensions often come the most difficult choices. You'll face decisions from killing your friends to dismembering strangers (or yourself), and each of these has some notable consequences. You'll see how respectable society can literally eat itself alive when faced with death. You'll see some people who, upon losing everything, break and destroy everything, or some who attempt to make up for their past wrongs.

I won't say that the game is without its flaws. The voice-acting is sometimes a bit cheesy. The animations are sometimes choppy and there's a nasty issue with shadows that can cause framerate havoc on the most formidable of rigs. The gameplay is creative, if sometimes a bit drawn out. But in comparison, if I can say anything about The Walking Dead, its that it differentiates itself from the norm. It may not be the most fun zombie game I've played, but it certainly is one of the only ones that tells a good story and for that it was well worth the price of a Steam sale.
  30. Dec 27, 2012
    One of the best crafted experiences character and story-wise I have witnessed in a long time, on any game genre. Within the boundaries of adventure games, this, as with The Longest Journey series, is a masterpiece of legendary dimensions (if not length), that will be brought into discussion as a measuring unit of how games are supposed to be delivered.
    It is so compelling and interesting
    that the downside of its not entirely satisfactory combat system and its frequent "click-to-not-die" moments is easily forgiven, detracting almost nothing from the overall experience.
    If on top of all you happen to like zombie-related games, the experience of living through such a gruesome and disheartening situation does not get better than this.
    All the characters are precisely that, characters, therefore every decision you make on the game pertaining these people carries the true weight of responsibility on them because of that very fact.
    The Walking Dead includes what could probably be one of THE best child protagonists of all time: Clementine, that along the likes of April and Zoë from the Longest Journey series, you unavoidably care for thus want to carry this persona across all difficulties to see them safe and victorious (even if transitorily in the case of the former one) at the far side of the story.
    With great art, beautifully realistic dialog and a spectacularly wealthy source material to round all up, this is a game you should be installing in your machine right about now.
  31. Dec 28, 2012
    Great art and a great look throughout the game. Story is well written and most of the instructions are well done, few are lacking direction though. Sometimes the reaction doesn't fit what you thought it should have been...
    Sorry, but this "game" could have been done in flash and put on Kong for free. Not enough "meat" for me being a gamer, this is an interactive comic. However, I am using
    it to introduce my wife into games as she is a big Walking Dead fan.

I give it a 7 as it really is an overpriced interactive book, pick it up on sale.
  32. Dec 30, 2012
    First of all, THIS IS NOT A GAME.
    Second, the choices you make have only an extremely marginal impact on the development of the story.
    Even though, it is, indeed, a very interesting development in story telling.
    INTERACTIVE ANIMATION, I would say.
  33. Jan 4, 2013
    While i've been a fan of the TV show and Comics since they both began, I was hesitant to start with the game, simply because of its method of play. However, after finishing the first episode I was hooked, and can now say that it's without a doubt one of my favourite games from 2012 if not top 10 of all time. The method of distributing episodes is new and unique, however I started them after they'd all been released, and so could play continuously. Overall I would HIGHLY recommend this series, I've never truly felt as connected or attached to any characters as I did in this series. Astounding. Expand
  34. Jan 20, 2013
    Thw Walking Dead Episode 1: "A New Day" Review Taking a beloved show, movie, or comic book into a game can be a tricky process. Sometimes developers nail it in just about every way. However, some developers put the final nail in the coffin when it comes to others titles. Thankfully, TellTale Games has takin a beloved show and comic book and has turned it into a zombie game that is not all about shooting every undead you see.

STORY: When the game starts up, you assume the roll of Lee Everett. A convicted murderer who is on his way to jail when the apocalypse breaks out. From there, you meet a little girl name Clementine and the foal from there is to survive. Along the way you will meet a varied of interesting a compelling characters who really bring you into the world. I have never in a game felt so protective over someone as I have with Clemintine even though you just have met her. Another thing is nice is that you do not need to watch the show or have read the comic to understand what is happening. There are some characters from the show that make an apperence but nothing to the point where someone who has not watched the show will know what is going on.

PRESENTATION: With the amazing characters also comes voice acting, and it is fantastic. You can really feel the emotion in each character, like when someone saw somebody get eaten alive by a zombie or when someone has been bitten by a zombie and is begging you to kill her. Its moments like this where the voice acting really shines. Another thing that shines the graphics. The follow the design of the comic book and it looks slick. However, from time to time, there will be some frame rate drops and when the game is going to a new scene it will freeze for like a second but it is nothing to detract from the over all expierence. GAMEPLAY: The game functions as it should. You move Lee with the left analog stick and move the cursor on the screen with the right analog stick. This cursor allows Lee to do different actions like talk to people, pick up an item, or bash a zombies brains in. When you talk to people, there will be a number of different choices of dialogue you can pick and in some points you have a limited amount of time to pick the one you want. These decisions will change the games outcome and force you to make quick decisions and live with the consequences like someone trusting you and being a trusted ally. Or someone who will be a foe and in some situations end up trying to kill you. There are also some quick time events and some points where if you do not act fast you will end up killed and these make for some tense moments when you will ask yourself "will I make it?". FINAL SCORE AND THOUGHTS: "A New Day" Is a great start to what I believe will be a fantastic series of games. The first episode is only about 2-3 hours long which is perfect considering all the things that could and are possibly going to happen. Sure there are some glitches and some frame rate drops. However, that is a minor complaint on a game that must be experienced SCORE: 9/10
  35. Jan 27, 2013
    This was a good start to the "The Walking Dead" game series. I felt I should review Episode1/2 after giving Episode 3/4/5 awful ratings. The story starts off quite well, and builds tension and forges the mood quite well. The introduction of characters is well done, and sufficient depth in characters ia also created. Although not enough time was put into certain characters to make it so that the player actually cares about them, certain effects still have some impact. The graphics style is also fairly unique, and similar to something like the Borderlands games, and to previous TellTale games.

Gameplay is fairly unique, and is nice style of "point-and-click", although the controls seem fairly sloppy and non-responsive at times. This episode was a good introduction to an average series.

It is quite disappointing that the later episodes completely drop the ball and were rushed, unpolished, and terribly disappointing, annoying mess.
  36. Feb 11, 2013
    Not bad but very disappointing, I agree with many others who are stating that this game was falsely advertised. It is very linear, most of the time I couldn't get into the story or connect with any characters. It is very much like a bad B movie. Many events and actions in the game were so cliche and painfully retarded I was hoping all of the characters would simply die because I found I couldn't care less. The audio is great.
    The Graphics are a simplified artistic style. Like it or don't like it, they could be less black-outlined for my tastes.
    The animations and nuances of characters and movements are overall great but sometimes ridiculous.

Point and click games are rather boring, "Fahrenheit" aka "Indigo Prophecy" is a good example of a successful point and click game. This game however tailors to people who love the "characters-are-so-stupid" horror film type movies. If you hate horror films because they lack any rhyme or reason then you'll hate this game as well... as did I.
  37. Mar 25, 2013
    Okay so let me start off by saying this game is not for everyone, like most games there are going to be people who love it or hate it and I would say this game shouldn't be downgraded too much even if it's not your type of game. i am not a fan of point and click but man this game pulled me in, it is so captivating, the story, the characters, I felt there were moments I was close too crying as this game can be quite an emotional roller coaster. Despite weather you like the TV series or not, this game is different, so I wouldn't judge based on that either. The only reason I'm not giving this a 10 is because I feel 10's are hard too give out now days. Why not try it out, give this game a go, like me, you might not regret it. Expand
  38. Apr 4, 2013
    A charming story of a guy in a post-apocalypse world with a chance to redeem himself for his past. Meet characters from the comic series, interact with them, find out what happens with them before and after they met Rick's group, recruit original characters from the game, discover new locations overrun by the dead, tailor the story with every little choice you make as every single thing you do and say will have repercussions in the future, and take whatever choice you need to survive.

This game will make you cry. A lot. It is perfectly acted, perfectly written, perfectly designed, and you will love and hate the characters as if they were real. Because that's what this game did to me. I fell in love with it. Its characters have that special something that makes you have feelings towards them, and when something happens to them you will feel it like if they were your friends. I'm very much looking forward to the next season, even though it's said that it will be a new group of people, but if it is at least as good as this one (and maybe it will be even better) then you will see me once again pre-purchasing the f*ck out of it and waiting in line to be the first to play it.

In summary, this game is a must-have, even if you didn't read the comic books, the novels or if you don't watch the TV series. A GOTY award very well deserved.
  39. Apr 14, 2013
    It can make you laugh. It can make you smile. It can make you shock. And it can make you cry.
    I agree that the options which you choose are not changing the game so much. But if you play this game without prejudgement it will be your best game you have ever played.
  40. Apr 19, 2013
    Bottom Line: Play this game. Technical issues aside, it is amazing and worth your money. If you aren't sure whether or not you will like it, buy this episode first and then decide. If not, buy the whole thing. You will not regret it. (read full review at: http://sleeplesscritc.blogspot.com/2013/04/review-walking-dead-episode-one.html)
  41. Apr 26, 2013
    Never getting to play The Walking Dead by Telltale games in 2012 and wasin't plaining on getting it in 2013. So one day I go on xbox live and I see theres a Spring Sale. I click on it to see the things on offer and I see this for free. A Walking Dead episode for free? I had to download this! Now I I'm hooked on Telltale's Walking dead series. Story is told quite well. The disions you make is what outcome you will get and will effect you in the another episodes. Trying to gain the trust of your fellow surviviors as the zombies are a small problem was the best thing about this tame, loved it more then any other good thing about this game. Gameplay can be slow but more often quite quick to make you think fast when you are making disions fast. The con I have is sometimes when I'm lookimg for something I feel like walking around in a circle (which made me bored). Overall great game and can't wait to get the episodes and to see how it all turns out in the end. The Walking Dead: Episode 1 A New Day 8.5/10. Expand
  42. Jun 8, 2013
    Graphic is very good, story is excellent, but this is not the game, this is an interactive movie, and nothing more. After the any other game you could said i spend many hours playing it, but for this game is watching it!
  43. Jul 5, 2013
    If it is honest, still not to be believed me that Talltale Games could make so shedevralny interactive drama as the best that is in a game store of this developer are satirical projects, and another special doesn't deserve attention.
    This game not about the zombie apocalypse, not about a survival in this world (can only partly), it about relationship between characters, about education of
    the little girl in the world which became even more cruel to people.
    The gameplay is a mix of interactive cinema, an arcade and a quest. Here is both QTE, and logical riddles (but, I admit, very easy, too), and branchy dialogues. But the big minus is an illusion, choice illusion, actually isn't so linear as we about it were spoken by developers and game claims, but some choice can incur itself consequences, not at once, somewhere later 2 episodes, can more. But not this main thing in game.
    Plot, here that does it unique, it (in my opinion) the best that happened to the industry for this year. When you endure so many events with these characters, you watch how they change, you start enduring with them that grief or pleasure, and the girl to become not only to the character, but also you, native.
  44. Jul 22, 2013
    Amazing game. Not only is it fun and imersive but you really get involved and get genuine feelings for the characters and events. Love it. Can't wait for season 2.
  45. Jul 28, 2013
    This game is absolutely Awesome! I starting playing it on iPad and decide to buy it on Steam almost immediately. Pro Very hooked The story is thrilling No bug at all FUN FUN and FUN! Con The consequences of your action are limited I'm not English native, so answering questions with limited time is a bit hard. If you're looking for Action, Shooting game, skip this game immediately.
    If you want some adventure, great story games, pick this one up. Whether you like zombie apocalypse or not, it's still worth.
  46. Aug 5, 2013
    This episode help you to learn more about Lee, Clementine and the rest. This episode is great but a bit long. There's not a lot of action and way more talking.
  47. Aug 10, 2013
    Jamás vi la serie, pero el juego es uno de los mejore que he jugado. Nos mantiene prendidos a la pantalla, con un suspenso que jamas vi en otro juego. Casi perfecto.
  48. Sep 9, 2013
    I'm not really a fan of zombie films/games, and point and click usually isn't my thing either, but my word this game is good. It's actually more of an interactive story than a game, but for me, that's not a problem. Sure, some of the puzzles are a little tedious because of the slightly clunky movement engine, but these blemishes are completely forgotten about when you're forced to save one of your two best friends, and have to make the decision in a split second. Comic cartoon graphics, and a very well written story makes this one of the most gripping, heart-wrenching and captivating titles out there. Expand
  49. Sep 19, 2013
    best game I have ever played in my life
    great voice work, brilliant camera work, the chemistry between Lee and Clementine
    the end is the saddest ending ever which is a great credit because I felt so sorry for the characters
  50. Sep 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Telltale’s The Walking Dead is an episodic graphic adventure game based on the original graphic novel series by Robert Kirkman. It tells the story of Lee Everett; a convicted murderer, who during the course of the zombie apocalypse comes across a young girl; Clementine, and vows to take care of her. Perhaps one of the most unique elements of the game is that in many ways game play is secondary, it’s more used as a medium to tell the story which is based around your characters choices. These choices change the way the story plays out and are carried over from episode to episode.

The choices are probably the most important part of the game and it’s where a lot of the fun comes from, you’re constantly placed in moral dilemmas that never seem to have a right or a wrong answer. Try to do the right thing and it can seriously backfire, do the wrong thing and it may come back to haunt you episodes later. One of the first major choices in the game takes place during Episode 1; Walkers break into your hide out and grab two of your people, you can only save one. This choice; Doug or Carley, can completely change the way things happen within the next few episodes. It only gets harder from there, someone in your group has just murdered another in cold blood, do you leave them behind or take them with you? A car lies abandoned by the side of the road, do you take the food or leave it?

Another big impact of your choices is the way it affects other characters disposition towards you, and chances are at some point you’re going to need their help, how you’ve acted towards them in the past decides how they act in the future. The plot seems to have more twists than M. Night Shyamalan can shake a stick at, never take anything for granted while playing, seriously, it saves a lot of tears. Joking aside the plot twists are done very well, many you never see coming and they integrate very well into the overall story. Throughout all of the story your main focus is on Clementine; an eight year old girl who has to be the best child video game character ever written. She’s intelligent and witty, she gets scared and puts on a brave face, she’s your average eight year old. You really discover how much you come to care for her as you play the game, your choices are affected as you find you’ll do anything to protect this one little girl. At the end of the day she seems like the only character you can trust in the game.

The gameplay itself is rather simple, built using the lua based Telltale tool it allows the game to be ported to many different platforms such as the PS3, PSVita, iOS, Ouya, Mac, Xbox 360 and PC. As I said before the gameplay really tends to come secondary to the story, unlike most adventure games there’s a lack of puzzles, which although it may disappoint some gamers I personally find it a refreshing take on the genre. The game operates mainly using a simple point and click interface that is obviously designed for console use, although slightly more taxing to use on a PC there’s not much difference. The simple UI is clear and informative without being too spartan or verbose. At certain points quick time events appear, usually requiring the rapid pressing of the Q key or to use the mouse in some fashion. All in all it makes for a simple, yet effective gameplay system.

Despite all this the game isn’t perfect, it suffers some frame rate issues and graphical bugs. Characters sometimes can seem to move a bit oddly, while not too jarring they can occasionally be an annoyance. Like any game with dialogue trees statements can sometimes seem out of place in the mood of the character, although on the whole the voice acting is excellent and it’s not too noticeable. There are also some reports of some infrequent save game issues although personally I haven’t experienced any.

The game also has a DLC pack; 400 Days available for download. 400 Days is not a part of the main story, rather it’s a special episode following five different people through the apocalypse as their paths are interwoven with each other, again it’s a very well written, well voice acted episode and while not required to enjoy the rest of the game it’s a nice fix for those of you who have completed the main game and are tired of waiting for Season 2.

All in all Telltale’s The Walking Dead is an excellent video game, one of the few licensed video games that actually got it right for once. I’d highly recommend it to anyone who’s a fan of the TV and graphic novels, also to anyone who’s a fan of zombie fiction and post apocalyptic horror. in fact I recommend it to pretty much everyone. A very well executed game, and what’s more there’s a second season on the way pretty soon. I give it a 9 out of 10
  51. Oct 9, 2013
    I seldom felt this much for the characters in a video game. The gameplay itself is pretty simple, but nevertheless entertaning, because of the hard choices you have to make under time pressure.
  52. Oct 12, 2013
    Anybody who rates this game less than a 8 is a got darn idiot.. Ive never been a fan of point and clicks but this has to be the most amazing story-driven point and click ive ever played. Not only that it is one of the best gaming experiences ive ever had. i bought this on steam on sale at a super discounted price and the dlc episode...My drow dropped at some of the things that happend in this game. Damn near cried after episode 5... you get attached sooo much to the characters. I am a real gamer and not a dev check me out on steam and you will see...this game is simply amazing and would give season one of the show a run for its money. i will buy the walking dead season 2 at full price...and i dont say that about ANY games...because im cheap as hell. Point blank buy this masterpiece. IT won GOTY for a reason. Expand
  53. Oct 23, 2013
    Don't go into this expecting game-play. It isn't really a game, just an interactive story. Like most, it is somewhat lacking in freedom simply because they have to make different outcomes for each that branch off into more and more. Many times if you make a choice that doesn't fit the story then someone else makes that choice for you. Also most of the "tough decisions" are arbitrary choices of which person to save. (Always out of 2 people) So far there have been no choices where it is possible to save multiple people or anything like that. That being said, the characters are well developed and choices do make a difference in character development.

The graphics are a huge negative. The living drawing type graphics are neat, but many smaller things are only low res instead of the higher resolution everything else has. Furthermore, no vertical sync! That is just a huge slap in the face to PC users. Constant screen tearing simply because the developer decided to do a straight console port with no vertical sync is ridiculous.

Overall a fun way to experience a story. Unfortunately that is undermined by lack of control over the story itself and constant screen tearing from no v-sync. Still worth buying on sale though.
  54. Jan 1, 2014
    Absolutely wonderfully done game. Not your typical game where you will sit and strategize, but it definitely puts the user into the story. The story is extremely gripping and I found myself with my jaw dropped due to plot twists and just plain old shocking moments Walking Dead style. You really don't know what will happen next.
  55. Nov 6, 2013
    The immersion and tension are well-designed and well-done. The issue I have with this game is that it is exceedingly linear, in almost direct contrast to the claims of allowing the player to direct their own experience. The decisions are few and far between, and almost entirely binary, you can choose from among two, often absurdly limiting choices; and for large stretches of the game you do nothing while the character bumbles through situations, trips and falls, or otherwise ignores potential actions that would be obvious. The voice acting is decent, the animation is excellent, but the linear play and lack of control, not to mention the poor interface, detract significantly from the game. Expand
  56. Nov 29, 2013
    Some people may say that this game is too slow, and it may not be for those people, but seriously, when I got into this game, which sometimes takes a couple of chapters it is one of the deepest and most emotional games that I have ever played. BUY BUY BUY!
  57. Dec 8, 2013
    Wow, what a ride this was. TellTale has done a great job. The writers created a story which was not only captivating but an amazing emotional experience. The Walking Dead is a comic-book drawn style adventure game in which the choices you make tailor the story you play going forward and continuously shape the people around you and your game play experience. Every action has consequences and you never can please everyone.

-- Gameplay
    -----------------
    The game mechanics are nice and simple. The story progresses through point-click action and mainly through dialog with the people you encounter.

During the dialogs you will be presented with several choices of answers.
    Each answer may or may not have consequences and alters how other people see you, trust you or even start disliking you.

Every now and then you will end up in a heavy story-changing scenario in which the story going forward is altered quite strongly.
    You might need to make a choice to save one or another person, run or fight or other difficult choice.
    Those choices alter the story quite drastic in places to the extend whereby you might end up continuing your story with different people then if you had made different choices or people start treating you completely different from that moment on.

-- The Story
    -----------------

The game places you in control of Lee a man on his way to prison as the story begins and has no idea yet what is happening.
    As you are trying to deal with the world as it now is you stumble across an 8 year old girl named Clementine who you will decide to help out and team up with.

For the duration of the story your relationship with Clementine and others you meet evolves and are shaped continuously based on the choices you make and how you treat each person.

I don't want to give to much of the main background story away so I'm not going into to much details.
    Let's just say, for the rest of the game you and Clementine will come across other people and groups, some highly irritating and disturbed while others are more neutral and well meaning, though you will find it hard to quickly know who to trust and who you can't.

Quite often you will find yourself in situations you wish you could make different choices then the ones presented or make choices you know might not be right but need to be made.

-----------------
    -- Summary
    -----------------

Personally I can only say that TellTale and the Writes have delivered something very simplistic but yet so wonderful you are feeling you are writing your own story which will grab you, slowly pulling you deeper and deeper into this emotional roller coaster ride and will not let you go.

By the end of Episode 5 you will just find yourself staring blankly at the credits slowly processing this whole experience.
    Well, that what it was like for me and I'm already looking very much forward to December 17th to continue on.

I cannot recommend this game highly enough and hope you will enjoy it as much as I have.
  58. Dec 30, 2013
    Great game and story. Would recommend even for people who are not into point and click games. I do wish you could skip through some of the dialogue. It would save a lot of time when you already spoke to a character for the second time. Small complaint but highly recommended and worth the buy.
  59. Jan 7, 2014
    I really enjoyed this game. I agree that some of the choices are made for you and some caracters will die whatever you do, but it's to be expected to be able to tell a story. Overall caracters have a sense and a meaning to their being there and to story keeps you going with a good sense of tension. Just be aware that this is more of a point and click adventure than an action title, so if you expect Left4Dead with a story, you will not like this game. Expand
  60. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 7 out of 10, Fun: 8 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 9 out of 10, Length: 8 out of 10, Re-play: 5 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10

I have a low re-play score on this game because when you re-play the game (which there is a strong desire to re-play this game to try other choices) the new different choices you make either 1) don't make much
    difference and/or 2) the way the main character and other characters act/re-act for non-mainstream choices is highly unrealistic. I really loved this game and would of given it a 9 for my over-all score, but the re-play that I was anxious to try was a real dud and took away from my original experience; thus giving the game an over-all score of 8. Expand
  61. Feb 15, 2014
    I could not play this game. I have an Azerty keyboard and the games controls cannot be reassigned. I tried playing it anyway (the arrow keys also work for movement) but constantly having to move my hand from arrow keys to number keys to Q and E was tiresome. I do not understand how a company can decide to have hardwired controls in 2013. Very unfortunate, because I liked the original art style a lot. Expand

1. Jul 8, 2012
    Great both standalone and as a gateway to a larger series. Let's hope it all pans out. [July 2012, p.76]
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    A slow-burn character study, some quick thinking and a constant air of menace make for a gripping start to a new adventure. [July 2012, p.68]
  3. Jun 28, 2012
    Rich atmosphere compensates for poor gameplay mechanics of The Walking Dead.