8.4

1. May 9, 2012
    The concept of a "series" based game is what made me purchase The Walking Dead. I like the idea that I will be given the next episode at a later date, giving a whole new dimension to the gaming experience. As for the game its self, well, graphically nice, story great, but I just felt too restricted with the controls and camera that the game just did not "flow" right for me. I intendThe concept of a "series" based game is what made me purchase The Walking Dead. I like the idea that I will be given the next episode at a later date, giving a whole new dimension to the gaming experience. As for the game its self, well, graphically nice, story great, but I just felt too restricted with the controls and camera that the game just did not "flow" right for me. I intend running through the first episode again now I understand the mechanics better, but I'm sure I will feel I'm cheating! I will look forward to Steam sending me the next instalment and for price and playtime I would recommend it. Expand
  2. May 10, 2012
    Simple game play, but its great to go though the story. Fun and I really enjoyed playing through the game a few times just to see what would change. Great fun.
  3. May 16, 2012
    The Walking Dead is a zombie game in the truest sense. It is an excellent simulation of the post apocalyptic zombie future which is gratifying in that it does not focus on the combat. The game focuses on story and characterization and does an excellent job with both. The timed dialogue choices mean that you don't choose strategically but with your gut.
  4. Jul 23, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed episode 1, it has some similar mechanics to Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) which was quite a defining game with the game mechanics that were added to the adventuring/interactive drama genre. It is heavily story driven and the "puzzles" are easy to get through but well worth the purchase. If you turn off some of the prompting it is difficult in the sense it's hard toI thoroughly enjoyed episode 1, it has some similar mechanics to Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) which was quite a defining game with the game mechanics that were added to the adventuring/interactive drama genre. It is heavily story driven and the "puzzles" are easy to get through but well worth the purchase. If you turn off some of the prompting it is difficult in the sense it's hard to figure out where to click as the margin for error is small. Overall a game I wouldn't skip over. Expand
  5. Nov 24, 2012
    Great game. I don't understand why this game has a score of 8.2 but I love it. Everyone should play it. Skip halo,call of duty and of the other AAA titles out there. This kind of story telling is not found any where else. For all the bugs that people say it has I have yet to encounter any of them(I play on PC) I think this game has made me have feelings for games I have not had since theGreat game. I don't understand why this game has a score of 8.2 but I love it. Everyone should play it. Skip halo,call of duty and of the other AAA titles out there. This kind of story telling is not found any where else. For all the bugs that people say it has I have yet to encounter any of them(I play on PC) I think this game has made me have feelings for games I have not had since the old days super Nintendo games. Expand
  6. Nov 24, 2012
    So, i watched the first season of The Walking Dead (TV Series) and was mind blown when i heard there was a video game about it, so i bought it, and oh boy, i did´nt regret it, it is very addicting, and that is always good.
  7. Jan 20, 2013
    Thw Walking Dead Episode 1: "A New Day" Review Taking a beloved show, movie, or comic book into a game can be a tricky process. Sometimes developers nail it in just about every way. However, some developers put the final nail in the coffin when it comes to others titles. Thankfully, TellTale Games has takin a beloved show and comic book and has turned it into a zombie game that is not allThw Walking Dead Episode 1: "A New Day" Review Taking a beloved show, movie, or comic book into a game can be a tricky process. Sometimes developers nail it in just about every way. However, some developers put the final nail in the coffin when it comes to others titles. Thankfully, TellTale Games has takin a beloved show and comic book and has turned it into a zombie game that is not all about shooting every undead you see.

STORY: When the game starts up, you assume the roll of Lee Everett. A convicted murderer who is on his way to jail when the apocalypse breaks out. From there, you meet a little girl name Clementine and the foal from there is to survive. Along the way you will meet a varied of interesting a compelling characters who really bring you into the world. I have never in a game felt so protective over someone as I have with Clemintine even though you just have met her. Another thing is nice is that you do not need to watch the show or have read the comic to understand what is happening. There are some characters from the show that make an apperence but nothing to the point where someone who has not watched the show will know what is going on.

PRESENTATION: With the amazing characters also comes voice acting, and it is fantastic. You can really feel the emotion in each character, like when someone saw somebody get eaten alive by a zombie or when someone has been bitten by a zombie and is begging you to kill her. Its moments like this where the voice acting really shines. Another thing that shines the graphics. The follow the design of the comic book and it looks slick. However, from time to time, there will be some frame rate drops and when the game is going to a new scene it will freeze for like a second but it is nothing to detract from the over all expierence. GAMEPLAY: The game functions as it should. You move Lee with the left analog stick and move the cursor on the screen with the right analog stick. This cursor allows Lee to do different actions like talk to people, pick up an item, or bash a zombies brains in. When you talk to people, there will be a number of different choices of dialogue you can pick and in some points you have a limited amount of time to pick the one you want. These decisions will change the games outcome and force you to make quick decisions and live with the consequences like someone trusting you and being a trusted ally. Or someone who will be a foe and in some situations end up trying to kill you. There are also some quick time events and some points where if you do not act fast you will end up killed and these make for some tense moments when you will ask yourself "will I make it?". FINAL SCORE AND THOUGHTS: "A New Day" Is a great start to what I believe will be a fantastic series of games. The first episode is only about 2-3 hours long which is perfect considering all the things that could and are possibly going to happen. Sure there are some glitches and some frame rate drops. However, that is a minor complaint on a game that must be experienced SCORE: 9/10
  8. Apr 14, 2013
    It can make you laugh. It can make you smile. It can make you shock. And it can make you cry.
    I agree that the options which you choose are not changing the game so much. But if you play this game without prejudgement it will be your best game you have ever played.
  9. Apr 19, 2013
    Bottom Line: Play this game. Technical issues aside, it is amazing and worth your money. If you aren't sure whether or not you will like it, buy this episode first and then decide. If not, buy the whole thing. You will not regret it. (read full review at: http://sleeplesscritc.blogspot.com/2013/04/review-walking-dead-episode-one.html)
  10. Jul 22, 2013
    Amazing game. Not only is it fun and imersive but you really get involved and get genuine feelings for the characters and events. Love it. Can't wait for season 2.
  11. Sep 9, 2013
    I'm not really a fan of zombie films/games, and point and click usually isn't my thing either, but my word this game is good. It's actually more of an interactive story than a game, but for me, that's not a problem. Sure, some of the puzzles are a little tedious because of the slightly clunky movement engine, but these blemishes are completely forgotten about when you're forced to save oneI'm not really a fan of zombie films/games, and point and click usually isn't my thing either, but my word this game is good. It's actually more of an interactive story than a game, but for me, that's not a problem. Sure, some of the puzzles are a little tedious because of the slightly clunky movement engine, but these blemishes are completely forgotten about when you're forced to save one of your two best friends, and have to make the decision in a split second. Comic cartoon graphics, and a very well written story makes this one of the most gripping, heart-wrenching and captivating titles out there. Expand
  12. Sep 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Telltale’s The Walking Dead is an episodic graphic adventure game based on the original graphic novel series by Robert Kirkman. It tells the story of Lee Everett; a convicted murderer, who during the course of the zombie apocalypse comes across a young girl; Clementine, and vows to take care of her. Perhaps one of the most unique elements of the game is that in many ways game play is secondary, it’s more used as a medium to tell the story which is based around your characters choices. These choices change the way the story plays out and are carried over from episode to episode.

The choices are probably the most important part of the game and it’s where a lot of the fun comes from, you’re constantly placed in moral dilemmas that never seem to have a right or a wrong answer. Try to do the right thing and it can seriously backfire, do the wrong thing and it may come back to haunt you episodes later. One of the first major choices in the game takes place during Episode 1; Walkers break into your hide out and grab two of your people, you can only save one. This choice; Doug or Carley, can completely change the way things happen within the next few episodes. It only gets harder from there, someone in your group has just murdered another in cold blood, do you leave them behind or take them with you? A car lies abandoned by the side of the road, do you take the food or leave it?

Another big impact of your choices is the way it affects other characters disposition towards you, and chances are at some point you’re going to need their help, how you’ve acted towards them in the past decides how they act in the future. The plot seems to have more twists than M. Night Shyamalan can shake a stick at, never take anything for granted while playing, seriously, it saves a lot of tears. Joking aside the plot twists are done very well, many you never see coming and they integrate very well into the overall story. Throughout all of the story your main focus is on Clementine; an eight year old girl who has to be the best child video game character ever written. She’s intelligent and witty, she gets scared and puts on a brave face, she’s your average eight year old. You really discover how much you come to care for her as you play the game, your choices are affected as you find you’ll do anything to protect this one little girl. At the end of the day she seems like the only character you can trust in the game.

The gameplay itself is rather simple, built using the lua based Telltale tool it allows the game to be ported to many different platforms such as the PS3, PSVita, iOS, Ouya, Mac, Xbox 360 and PC. As I said before the gameplay really tends to come secondary to the story, unlike most adventure games there’s a lack of puzzles, which although it may disappoint some gamers I personally find it a refreshing take on the genre. The game operates mainly using a simple point and click interface that is obviously designed for console use, although slightly more taxing to use on a PC there’s not much difference. The simple UI is clear and informative without being too spartan or verbose. At certain points quick time events appear, usually requiring the rapid pressing of the Q key or to use the mouse in some fashion. All in all it makes for a simple, yet effective gameplay system.

Despite all this the game isn’t perfect, it suffers some frame rate issues and graphical bugs. Characters sometimes can seem to move a bit oddly, while not too jarring they can occasionally be an annoyance. Like any game with dialogue trees statements can sometimes seem out of place in the mood of the character, although on the whole the voice acting is excellent and it’s not too noticeable. There are also some reports of some infrequent save game issues although personally I haven’t experienced any.

The game also has a DLC pack; 400 Days available for download. 400 Days is not a part of the main story, rather it’s a special episode following five different people through the apocalypse as their paths are interwoven with each other, again it’s a very well written, well voice acted episode and while not required to enjoy the rest of the game it’s a nice fix for those of you who have completed the main game and are tired of waiting for Season 2.

All in all Telltale’s The Walking Dead is an excellent video game, one of the few licensed video games that actually got it right for once. I’d highly recommend it to anyone who’s a fan of the TV and graphic novels, also to anyone who’s a fan of zombie fiction and post apocalyptic horror. in fact I recommend it to pretty much everyone. A very well executed game, and what’s more there’s a second season on the way pretty soon. I give it a 9 out of 10
  13. Oct 12, 2013
    Anybody who rates this game less than a 8 is a got darn idiot.. Ive never been a fan of point and clicks but this has to be the most amazing story-driven point and click ive ever played. Not only that it is one of the best gaming experiences ive ever had. i bought this on steam on sale at a super discounted price and the dlc episode...My drow dropped at some of the things that happend inAnybody who rates this game less than a 8 is a got darn idiot.. Ive never been a fan of point and clicks but this has to be the most amazing story-driven point and click ive ever played. Not only that it is one of the best gaming experiences ive ever had. i bought this on steam on sale at a super discounted price and the dlc episode...My drow dropped at some of the things that happend in this game. Damn near cried after episode 5... you get attached sooo much to the characters. I am a real gamer and not a dev check me out on steam and you will see...this game is simply amazing and would give season one of the show a run for its money. i will buy the walking dead season 2 at full price...and i dont say that about ANY games...because im cheap as hell. Point blank buy this masterpiece. IT won GOTY for a reason. Expand
  14. Nov 29, 2013
    Some people may say that this game is too slow, and it may not be for those people, but seriously, when I got into this game, which sometimes takes a couple of chapters it is one of the deepest and most emotional games that I have ever played. BUY BUY BUY!

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jul 8, 2012
    Great both standalone and as a gateway to a larger series. Let's hope it all pans out. [July 2012, p.76]
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    A slow-burn character study, some quick thinking and a constant air of menace make for a gripping start to a new adventure. [July 2012, p.68]
  3. Jun 28, 2012
    Rich atmosphere compensates for poor gameplay mechanics of The Walking Dead.