8.5

1. Mar 5, 2014
    The game is full of false choices. It looks as if you are in some sort of control, but it is just a cutscene that waits for you to click once or twice.

Take the opening bathroom scene. No matter what happens, x gets shot. So why not make it a cutscene? What difference does it make what stall I open or what sink I try? It all leads to the same event....
  2. Dec 28, 2013
    Shorter than I expected and not as interesting as the first season. The writing was ok, but the decisions presented to you as the player were not as powerful impactful as I would have liked in a season opener.

So far I'm not impressed, but maybe it's because the Wolf Among Us was SO good my expectations for this game were too high. I trust TTG though, and think the season will pick

I trust TTG though, and think the season will pick up in later episodes.

At the moment, I'd wait and see what happens; I am more excited about TWAU than TWD.
  3. Jan 2, 2014
    All That Remains is a welcome return to the Walking Dead universe but not the one I necessarily wanted. The added emphasis on Clementine and the references to your struggles as Lee really bridge the gap between seasons. The shocking opening and nail-biting conclusion, as well as several horrifying feats of survival, really make the game worth it. But in many areas the first episode feelsAll That Remains is a welcome return to the Walking Dead universe but not the one I necessarily wanted. The added emphasis on Clementine and the references to your struggles as Lee really bridge the gap between seasons. The shocking opening and nail-biting conclusion, as well as several horrifying feats of survival, really make the game worth it. But in many areas the first episode feels like a missed opportunity. The gameplay is not refined and many awkward swiping motions led to unnecessary deaths. The graphics feel off in plenty of areas and the game is perpetually laggy throughout the hour-long journey. However, All That Remains definitely shows promise for future success. I enjoyed most of the new characters and I see plenty of potential conflicts for nail-biting decisions in the coming months. While Clementine's first spotlight isn't a masterpiece, her story and evolution is more than worth the price of admission.

7.5/10
  4. Dec 28, 2013
    The first Episode from Season 1 was a lot better than the first Episode from Season 2. Not only did season 1 bring a more friendly introduction, they also did it in a slower pase. In Season 2 they rushed everything, they didn't give time for us to enjoy some of the environment, and the space that was available like in Season 1. In Season 2 you will feel like you are trapped in a smallThe first Episode from Season 1 was a lot better than the first Episode from Season 2. Not only did season 1 bring a more friendly introduction, they also did it in a slower pase. In Season 2 they rushed everything, they didn't give time for us to enjoy some of the environment, and the space that was available like in Season 1. In Season 2 you will feel like you are trapped in a small environment, you could say that you were in a small box., with very limited interactions, they didn't add as much activities to the place due to it's limited space. You constantly jumped from a ''story'' to another ''story''. You would fell as if you were always teleporting. If you miss something there is no going back, oh you saw that little boat? But you checked that ledge first, so forget the boat!

It took away the puzzle ellements that made Season 1 so interesting, where you needed to explore the whole environment to see if you find the puzzle key, or even find something that will help you in the future. Season 2 took that all away, maybe they wanted to take away the backtracking, but that is what made the puzzle elements so good, that you always explored everything, and you wouldn't get annoyed or bored to go back and check if you missed something. In Season 2 they made everything convenient, not adding any challenge, you just pick up item A and use it on place X and that is what the puzzles felt like.

The voice acting could be better, graphically the game was better than the previous one, really look like they tried to add some of the art elements from ''The Wolf Among Us''. You can easily get used to the characters, you immediately see who friends and foes. Seeing Clemm fighting against walkers and humans is gold, she uses the environment to fight with her enemies, and doesen't because of her lacking weapons.

The story is kind of ''blah'' at the beginning, you don't really care what happens to certain characters, you just move along along to later sections of the game. The late game is actually quite stunning, taking away the puzzle elements Clemm shines in the story, being with other people, especially strangers, not afraid to face them, she does whatever she can to survive, and shows the true horror that can happen in these kind of situations.

I didn't enjoy the first bit of the game, but I would recommend to at least try the game for everyone, it doesen't shine like the first Episode from Season 1, but it's still worth a try.
  5. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. **spoiler alert**
    This game is ok given it's low cost but it's far from the numerous 10's posted. By the way how can you say it's a perfect and follow with a "but...". I played through twice to see if my choices made any changes to the outcome and found, like most here whether they want to admit it or not) they did not significantly alter the outcome. I also found the dog scenes forced. Can some one explain to me why a dog that has likely hunted and scavenged for over two years would allow a potential meal reach out and grab its tag; play fetch at least three times; and submit to petting on the head only to go for the throat over some family style beans?! Discuss....
  6. Mar 8, 2014
    This is everything you expected from the next walking dead game. Telltale played the safe route with this one it seemed. The design of Nick is too similar to Kenny, and it seems like they are trying to force you to like him by trying to make you feel like he is Kenny. This is quite slow, most of the walking dead is slow and that adds to what makes it the truly amazing experience it is,This is everything you expected from the next walking dead game. Telltale played the safe route with this one it seemed. The design of Nick is too similar to Kenny, and it seems like they are trying to force you to like him by trying to make you feel like he is Kenny. This is quite slow, most of the walking dead is slow and that adds to what makes it the truly amazing experience it is, however this episode felt REEEEEEAAALLLLLY slow. Expand
  7. Dec 18, 2013
    Waiting for next episode of TWD for a year maybe made my expectations a bit too high or maybe not but I'm a bit disappointed. The game still has it's moments but it's not good as season one, just the gameplay mechanics, introduction and story telling was a lot better in first season than this one, which is quite unclear because I was waiting for something at least on the same level as theWaiting for next episode of TWD for a year maybe made my expectations a bit too high or maybe not but I'm a bit disappointed. The game still has it's moments but it's not good as season one, just the gameplay mechanics, introduction and story telling was a lot better in first season than this one, which is quite unclear because I was waiting for something at least on the same level as the first season. I'm not even comparing this TWD episode to The Wolf Among Us (which was a big positive surprise and a step forward), because my opinion would be even worse than it is. Anyway the game is still good but don't expect too much of it because you can be disappointed as I am. The price is too high for game that lasts one hour. Minor bugs and a little irritant exploring. But if you think you can ignore these defects, you clearly should play this episode! Expand
  8. Dec 21, 2013
    Nice to see some continuation of Clementine, but the game feels as though you have no choice when it comes to certain parts of the game. (gun part, Shed). It is only one episode so far and the director from the wolf among us directed episode 1. So it felt shorter than season 1 episodes.. a solid 7. but here's to hoping for some improvement.
  9. Jan 17, 2014
    Don't get me wrong, the entire series is brilliant. I just kind of wish Telltale would make their games open-ended and actually 'tailor to my decisions' like they say they will.
    Instead of mixing things up with more outcomes, they give you a very linear storyline with small differences. You can choose to let person A live, or person B, but they'll both die in different ways, so it doesn't really matter which ones you choose. It just changes the dialogue a bit.

I know why they don't do this, though. It would make a LOT of work for them and the storylines could eventually get so varied in different playthroughs that they wouldn't be able to come up with such a huge number of outcomes from which to continue each episode.

That being said, I just want a game where my decisions actually make a difference, not one where everything is predetermined. Is that so much to ask from a game that prides itself on its' difficult decision-making narrative?
  10. Dec 17, 2013
    A huge step down in writing from season one. The story often feels extremely unauthentic and unbelievable, the characters are shallow, and character interaction is bland. I did like how Clementine's character was given more attention and how her braveness and inner strength was procured to the player.

I love Clementine and I shed cheers of joy when I saw her, but the game slowly went downhill after the introduction. The writing is just not doing her character or the series any justice. It is quite obvious that the game is being driven solely by the momentum of the great first season of the Walking Dead, one of the best games ever made.

I am rather disappointed and can only hope that the writing improves. 7/10, but only because I love Clementine.
  11. Dec 18, 2013
    This time, the Walking Dead game put us in the role of Clementine, and while the game keeps telling us that our choices in the game can affect the future, it seems like no matter what you do, the results have been decided previously.
    It's way worse than the previous season.
  12. Dec 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An average follow up to Season 1, but it has some problems to be sure. While I like how the player is in control of Clem this time around and forces her to go it on her own, and the moral choices presented, I took issue with some out of character moments for Clem. (Not being able to get the gun off the sink in the washroom comes to mind: She's had several traumatic experiences that have resulted from mistakes. Losing Lee would be the final kick in the pants she would need to be on alert, or at least one would expect it to be). This detracts from the experience as the writers are trying to set up what they need to have happen at the expense of characterization and development. The solo bits for Clem were grand and tense, and the dog attack came out of left field. The stealth bits were well handled and the drama was more than adequate. Characterization for the other supporting cast however is either great or barely there, something that wasn't an issue with S1:E1. Logic wise, there are some issues: some that arise from out of character moments, and others like trained medical professionals not being able to tell the difference between a dog bite and a bite from a human, or experienced hunters making amateur mistakes in this zombie apocalypse. As well, Clem taking no steps whatsoever to sanitize the pocket knife she took from a ROTTING WALKER CORPSE was pants on head stupid. And remember, she has the lighter to do so. Things like this, where she comments on a sewing needle being sterile but being too stupid to realize "Rotting corpse blood in your food is probably a death sentence". This may be to set up plot points later in the season in some instance, but it's a bit jarring if that is the intent. Other times, it seems the writers are not paying attention to what they are writing or are not terribly concerned with consistency in this setting. Extremely linear gameplay also marrs the experience: it was fine in Season 1 but getting railroaded now in S2 is grating to say the least. My choices from S1 don't matter either, aside from a few blurbs. The important ones, like "always get the gun", were lost on the writers in favor of forcing events on Clem to get what they needed to happen to pass. Instead, Clem throws what I taught her out the window to hide in a bathroom stall... Yes really. Bravo writers. The episode, while having lots going on, doesn't feel like it has much movement. My last gripe is the fact that they are releasing this episode by episode. Yea yea, I know I'm impatient. Ultimately, this has some good moments in it, but the fact that it's only slightly longer than 400 days and double the asking price (in the face of these flaws) I must recommend that only die hard fans give this an immediate purchase. Everyone else should wait until the price goes down. 5/10. Expand
  13. Aug 20, 2014
    The Walking Dead Season 2 starts off good enough - but I think, after the much deserved recognition and praise that TellTale Games got because of Season 1, they could have at least worked out some bugs and issues with their software. Clementine still moves like a box and, even if the comic look of the environment and characters is still well represented, it could use some refining - theThe Walking Dead Season 2 starts off good enough - but I think, after the much deserved recognition and praise that TellTale Games got because of Season 1, they could have at least worked out some bugs and issues with their software. Clementine still moves like a box and, even if the comic look of the environment and characters is still well represented, it could use some refining - the character work from The Wolf Among Us proves that it can be done.

Sadly, this whole episodic Walking Dead act is not a novel concept any more, so the thrills and emotions easily pulled out from us by Season 01 will need to step up its game to have a matching reaction from not easily impressed gamers.
  14. Jun 12, 2014
    While this is probably the best telltale could've done after that crazy dramatic season one finale. This I feel is probably THE worst episode in the Walking dead series. There's Lack of Choices and Its pretty damn short. and the Choices that are there feel kinda cookie cutter, Its also painfully obvious that its building itself up for something deadly to come in the next episodes. But onWhile this is probably the best telltale could've done after that crazy dramatic season one finale. This I feel is probably THE worst episode in the Walking dead series. There's Lack of Choices and Its pretty damn short. and the Choices that are there feel kinda cookie cutter, Its also painfully obvious that its building itself up for something deadly to come in the next episodes. But on the positive side is that The writing is still amazing, telltale rarely disappoints in that aspect. There is also some really strong "Feels" moments in the episode (but honestly they feel really lazy ways to get out of keeping decision distinction)
    Its the best they could've done but I feel like skipping this episode.
  15. Aug 27, 2014
    'All That Remains' is a good start in the second Season of Telltale's 'The Walking Dead', however, Episode 1 is nowhere near Season 1 this far.

The writing isn't as good and doesn't feel as complete, although it is far from bad. There are some great scenes, but also boring and confusing scenes. Don't expect too much choice-wise, either. The major choices didn't feel that important and were easy to make, which isn't at all the point of this game.

After all, I would give it 7.5/10, but in this case 7/10 feels more appropriate.
  16. Aug 28, 2014
    (FIRST PART INCLUDES A BIT SPOILERS ABOUT SEASON 2 EPISODE 1)

(FIRST PART INCLUDES A BIT SPOILERS ABOUT SEASON 2 EPISODE 1)

Well, this was a sure good game, but after Season 1... We were waiting for a better game, but this game was surely worse than Season 1 for me. Your choices doesn't matter at all. Whoever you choose, Nick is gonna survive and Pete going to die. It goes on like this on other episodes too. Some of them just talk a bit rude to you, but who is with you or who isn't never changes. It's always the same.

(NO SPOILER DOWN THERE)

Also, why are we a little girl? In Season 1, we was a leader of a whole group. We had lots of things to choose, we had lots of responsibility, our choices changed lots of things. But in this game... Nothing changes, whatever you do, they go on as they were meant to be.

1. Feb 16, 2014
    A gripping opener that suggests TWD will zombie-dodge tricky second season syndrome. [March 2014, p.75]
  2. Feb 14, 2014
    TellTale has been using and refining the same engine over multiple games and there are still some really awful bugs. Not game breaking by any means, but when non-interactive character models appear, stock still, in the middle of a room it breaks my focus on the story
  3. Feb 12, 2014
    Impossible to judge in isolation, but definitely a good start. [March 2014, p.73]