8.5

1. Nov 6, 2012
    I am not a huge fan of point-and-click adventures, but i really love this one!
    The story of the melancholic clown and his pet has great moments most of them funny but also some sad.
    The game looks amazing with its handdrawn backrounds and livley animated characters. The sound... That seems to be a problem in the english version but for the german version I can say that thevoice actiong
    is amazing and the music ( which is available at the publishers page) is wonderful.
    I had soem problems with the riddles though some of them are really logical and some are just chaotic.
    But personally I can oversee these flaws, because when I think back at this game, I have to start smiling thinking of the good time I had and then I turn on the soundtrack think about the stunning ending!
  2. Sep 21, 2011
    As a huge fan of point-and-click adventure games I'm always happy to see new additions to this genre. Especially when so much time has been spent making awesome, handdrawn backgrounds, cutscenes and characters. Graphically The Whispered World is stunning, absolutely no complaints there.

The biggest point of criticism is the voice acting. The main character Sadwick sounds downward
    terrible, and it's beyond me why this has ever been thought of as acceptable. Such a beautiful game almost completely ruined by just this, it restrained me from rating this game the solid 8 it really deserves. Actually I'm hoping to get my hands on the original german version one day, just to experience this game the way it should.

Most of the storyline is good enough though. As a anti-hero depressed circus jester traveling through a fantasy world you meet a messegner of the king. The king is ill and the world is ending, and you'll have to deal with that somehow. Ofcourse that means visiting all kinds of different locations, all beautifully handdrawn and some filled with fun to solve puzzle elements. You're also accompanied by Spot, a shape-shifting catterpiller with a cute but limited vocalubary. This adds to the puzzle-solving fun as you need to think a bit more out of the box - in this case your inventory sack.

There are interesting fantastically shaped characters which are fun to interact with, and the locations are equally satisfying to wander through. Especially near the end there are some plot holes where things are happening without a proper elaboration, which can be a bit puzzling. But if you just go with it you'll be just fine, don't worry.

This game is no Monkey Island or Sam and Max, but it definitely has its own qualities. I'm glad I bought it when it was on sale on Steam. If it wasn't for the voice acting the full price would have been well worth it as well.
  3. Jun 23, 2013
    I want to love this game but I can't, because for me this game is not that good. Visually it's really stunning, fluid animations and hand drawn backgrounds really got to me, and I thought I would love it, but the way the puzzles are set-up are really problematic. Too many objects in the inventory at once, too many cryptic tips to indicate how solve some of them and lots of times they didn't make any sense at all, not in a good way like strange but classic point and click solving. You usually can start combining items you don't even know when they will be used. You are never 100% sure what should be your next objective.

The text is good, but always too long. The voice acting is also really hit and miss.

A lack of a tip system also makes this game impossible to beat without some frustration or a walk-through, and this is not the part I love about point and clicking games.
  4. Ume
    Nov 21, 2013
    My overall experience with the game suffered from some technical problems: frequent crashes to desktop, stuck at startup or when pressing ESC to menu or stuck during cut-scenes. The puzzles are varied, some are really cool, some just OK and a few just completely illogical. The main character, Sadwick, has a nasal voice and whines frequently. Although I can see how this could be annoying, taking into account Daedalic's design choice, these fit the character they chose to portray. The plot takes a while to build momentum, starts slow but gets stronger after the second chapter. The game has charm though, with a unique whimsical and melancholic feel that kept me intrigued from beginning to end. The artwork is absolutely beautiful, gorgeous, lush...there aren't enough adjectives to praise it. It really is the highest point of the game. The soundtrack is good and helps set the right atmosphere. There are some very cool surprise moments that I did not see coming at all, and the ending is especially touching. Overall, a very beautiful 2D adventure, not without its faults, but captures well the nostalgia and innocence of childhood. Expand
  5. Dec 19, 2013
    I love sad Clowns. So i love it. The Game is wonderful illustrated. Good Story, nice Characters. And the best of it is the Main Character, the voices...and i fell tears ofer my skin. :D

1. Jan 3, 2011
    If you are really, really longing for a 2D adventure with lovely hand-drawn graphics, then you'll enjoy The Whispered World for a couple of days. But chances are you'll quickly stop playing and immerse in a much more exciting activity – rummaging through the game's data folder in search of beautiful backgrounds for your desktop.
  2. Dreadful voices. [Aug 2010, p.83]
  3. Beautiful hand-drawn visuals, two adorable main characters and a fabulous story that manages to find the right balance between melancholy and humor make for one of the best traditional adventure games in years.