8.4

1. Aug 14, 2011
    !! Game of the Year !! Epic story , great gameplay and amazing graphics . It's all you need to say that fresh game can be still created among all those fps. waiting to see the Witcher 3, cause this game is the best what gamer can get into his hands
  2. Jul 9, 2011
    Not as good as the first part IMHO, but still a very good game. Basically I'd like it to be slightly longer and not have certain inconsistencies and sudden jumps of the plot. Love the new fighting system, graphics are awesome, most parts of the game glue you to the screen. There are no more issues with having to fight the drowned dead all the time, which was irritating in the first part (per game mechanics and there constant respawning regardless of yout level, shouldn't they just run away?). Some memorable characters, primarily Roche. On the down side, I really wished that more characters were more develped in this game. Expand
  3. Aug 8, 2011
    I really must congratulate CDprojekt they have done an outstanding job. This is definitely the best game I have ever played. The graphics made me spend hours wandering in the forests of Flotsram ( I admit they are so good I actually got lost in the forest), the combat is what all RPGs should have, not the DPS type but actual swordsmanship you strike, you duck or you die. The other aspects of traps, bombs, signs, potions and oils etc are also a welcome addition to the complexity of battle ( I was getting frustrated with the mindless consolized games that are coming out of late with dummed down combat, no need to state names DA2 you know yourselves) And last but not least the story just wraps it all up into one amazing spectacle of brilliance. Expand
  4. Jun 7, 2011
    Great RPG, not as much freedom of customization or discovery as in fallout series or first dragon age, but decent combat system, beautiful graphics, great plot, and simply put one of the best RPGs to come out this year so far.
  5. Jun 11, 2011
    The best RPG I've played in years. It takes a bit of patience to learn the game as there isn't much of a tutorial, but once you understand everything it's a masterpiece. The story is fantastic, the graphics are amazing, even the side-quests are well crafted and will keep you interested.
  6. Jun 9, 2011
    Well. This is a perfect game minus human factor. By human factor I mean non-polished rushed release and a big number of trolls that play the game for 10 minutes and rage here with their 0 reviews. I do not take those into account and so I say:

There is no better game. Simple as that.
  7. Sep 27, 2011
    Great graphics, great story, great game. And no damn day on DLC either like some other game we all know. Hope Witcher 3 will have the same quality and awesomeness.
  8. Olf
    Jun 9, 2011
    Well made game. Game play is very difficult, and choices you make actually make some semblance of a difference....as opposed to Dragon Age 2. I really feel not only was this game an improvement on the original, but a good look at how RPGs of the future should be with high re-playability.
  9. Oct 22, 2011
    One of the best rpg I've played to date, re-playability aplenty free dlc by the handful what more could anyone want?

Amazing art and sound design through character and voice design. The developers obviously set out to earn your money and it shows in every detail, every fiber of the game any fan of rpgs owes it to themselves to get this game.
  10. Jun 6, 2011
    A great game, perfect... no. The graphics are beautiful, the story engrossing and you get to see the impact of your decisions. Those choices influence how you play in Act 2 and 3. Very well done.
  11. Aug 8, 2011
    Like other folks have said, it's the best RPG I've played in a very long time. Beautiful, interesting, branching paths are meaningful. There were bugs, but I didn't get any game-stopping ones.
  12. Jun 7, 2011
    I have really enjoyed playing this game surprisingly as I didn't enjoy The Witcher 1 very much. My poor computer has struggled to run this game on the lowest settings and don't get me started on how long it takes to escape to menu screen but apart from those problems I have enjoyed myself a lot. I really loved the many choices with lots of different consequences.

I loved the love scene
    with Triss, so romantic (sigh) I am so pleased there is so much replay value in trying to see what happens when I make this choice and so on...

Im going to score this higher than dragon age 2, even though Im really a Bioware fan I think the team that made The Witcher 2 did a much better job than the team that did DA2.

I love the detail in the armours and dresses, they are beautifully designed and really look practical and classy. The crafting is fun and my only problem is I wish i had some sort of money cheat as I would love to be able to buy everything I see in the shops! :D

Oh and the story is really good too. I think everyone should try this game out, its a lot of fun!
  13. May 8, 2012
    Excellent game all around.

Excellent graphics, very good combat system. Great voice acting and character design. Beats Skyrim on all fronts.

My only gripe with it is the story it wasn't as engaging as the one in original Witcher and the ending is something murky. That was however to be expected since there is no doubt will be the third installment in the game and developers wanted to
    keep storylines open for that.

Worth every cent of it.
  14. Aug 10, 2011
    My problem with this game is this: I like it too much. The game is so awesome, now I have read people saying that it doesn't have the charm that TW1 does. To me, it is the opposite, I bought TW1 in spring, before TW2 came out. I played it, since I could get it rather cheaply, to see if I could enjoy the combat system (it is rather unique for an RPG). I thought that it was ok, but I have only 3 hours logged in TW1. I have 28 hours in TW2, and they just keep rolling in.
    I will say what I dislike: I dislike the fact that it crashes sometimes, sometimes when finishing dialogue I get a black screen, sometimes my char doesn't do what I tell him to do (controls could use some work). None of those dislikes matter one bit though. I keep wanting more, I keep wanting to play more, I keep trying to figure out ways to get the graphics to look even better than they do (to me its a game that needs to be played as maxed out as possible, because it is gorgeous). I have been able to run it at max settings without uber sampling, by tweaking windows settings and such. The game is jaw droppingly beautiful. It has a distinctly RP feel to it, and you quickly get caught up in the story and all of its intricacies.

I think the best way I can put this is like this: I played TW1 and decided that TW1 and 2 was probably not for me, no harm down. I later on bought TW2 and have played it extensively since, I have decided that this game is exactly a game for me, I have also decided to try and delve deeper into the story by playing TW1 (get a save game for TW2 and then play TW2 AGAIN! hehe), and quite possibly buying the books too.

10/10 from me.
  15. May 31, 2011
    Almost perfect game. Beautiful, state of the art graphics and masterful art. Mesmerizing story and memorable characters. Playing as Geralt of Rivia is both a rewarding and an unforgettable experience. Quests are deeper and more realistic than any other game outside. Treats the player as an adult. Combat is hard yet enjoyable and challenging. Very unlinear story, good choice&consequence and tons of replay value.Free DLC! Amazing premium and collector's edition content. The Cons: Still 1.1 version hasn´t solved all the bugs; there're not many, but some. Expand
  16. May 28, 2011
    Perfect RPG, from the adult oriented story to the superb graphics. GOTY for sure. No other game comes close to touching TW:AoK. Do yourself a favor, trade in your copy of Dragon Age 2, or simply break it in half, then go get The Witcher 2. Do it to it.
  17. Jun 2, 2011
    This is a great RPG. If your not squeamish about language usage and nudity this is a great game to pick up over the summer. Buy it, play it, love it. I know i am!
  18. Jun 5, 2011
    Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs ever. The game presents users with choices at almost every turn and these choice may impact the course of your story significantly. This is one game where choice is not an illusion. Combat is also amazing, is one of the only few games which actually requires the use of all abilities to come out on top of every encounter, if you dont use your abilities wisely then there is a good chance that you will get your arse kicked and that is why a lot of bad players won't like this game.

For any RPG fans this is the best game thats out there.
  19. Jun 5, 2011
    I never did play the first game and picked this one up on a whim. So glad I did though, this game is amazing. From the graphics and sound to the game play this is one of the better games I've ever played. Like another person on here stated this is what Dragon Age II should of been like. I'd defiantly have to put this in the running for game of the year.
  20. Jun 5, 2011
    If you enjoyed The Witcher (1), The Witcher 2 will be an absolutely thrilling experience.

The Gameplay: While the combat system in the series has never been my personal favorite, it has been massively improved from the original game. The controls in general were much easier to handle, and the use of signs and fast/strong sword style was much easier. The skill trees were balanced and made
    much more sense than its predecessor. If you play the game on easy mode, it will seem very hack-and-slash like. Playing on normal balances out the "hack and slash" and the need for signs and potions in combat. For a genuine challenge, the difficult setting makes every combat experience strategic and epic. The Graphics/Settings:

Stunning. Each map/chapter is completely unique, and much larger than it may initially appear. You can see that a lot of work went into the design. There is so much to explore. It's not an open-world game like Oblivion or Fallout:New Vegas. However, for being enclosed, it sure does have a lot to offer. The characters look very realistic... to the point where I can't even bare to look at DA2's anymore without feeling they are either way cartoony or outdated. Also, The Witcher 2 isn't afraid to show you some T&A, or even some good ol' bump and grind. Now DA2 looks *really* silly in that regard.
    The Characters:
    You play as Geralt in the series, but not without your own flavor of his reactions/personality. He is always somewhat sarcastic, but you can be the "good/fair" guy or the "do this or I'll beat you senseless" guy. Also, using the Axii sign in conversation (think Obi Wan's "These are not the droids you are looking for") makes it a nice middle-road option to get straight to the point/your objective. The dialogue can also be quite humorous. The non-playable characters are well drawn out and believable, with many facets to their person other than the limited persona we see all too often. The voice acting is incredible.

The Story:

This is the best part of the game. There are multiple storylines to follow, so multiple play-throughs will be necessary to get the entire experience. What you do/the decisions you make can have a huge effect on what will come next, where you will be, and the quests that will be available. Regardless of which path you take, this game is so engrossing you'll easily lose track of time as you play.

Comparison to DA2... (for the curious)

What can I say? At first, I thought DA2 was OK -- Dragon Age gone Mass Effect 2. Experiencing the graphics, characters, and storyline from Witcher 2 makes me feel like I wasted my money/time playing DA2. However, I personally prefer a more mature game with a preset appearance/character because I'm not looking to create an identity within a game. For gamers looking for more customization of their character -- DA2 is better, but not nearly as good as DA:O.
  21. TIZ
    Jul 3, 2011
    This game doesn't get a 10 for a few simple reasons...but first graphics, gameplay and storyline are very good no complaints there. Only have to say a bit broken mechanics and its actually very harsh marking it down by even 1 point on this but still had 2 find something wrong haha...graphics are amazing no lag on Ultra and my computer is not special or a mini supercomputer or anything like that. My system is i5 760 @3.3GHz (Overclocked) , 8GB, GTX560 (overclocked) Expand
  22. Jun 5, 2011
    This is a fantastic game. There is quite a few different ways to play the game that can change outcomes later in the story. I love games like this. It keeps it interesting. The graphics are outstanding and you have to have a pretty decent system to play it. Its got a great story line.
    My only complaint that I have about the game, was it was easy to sometimes get lost in the side
    stories/quests which some people like to do. Now dont get me wrong, I do like to go out and explore and do other things to get rewarded, but it took away from the main story. If some of the side quests had a direct relationship to the story line, I think that could have had a better effect. But other than that its a fantastic game, and highly recommend it. Expand
  23. Jun 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion, the best rpg game of all time and presumably GOTY 2011 winner, CDProject Red took what is best from the Sapkowski's sage, combined it with great graphics , created a beautiful story that is deeply rooted in the Witcher's universe, the Witcher 1 was great, the Witcher 2 is much better, however not perfect, but let's be honest, have you seen a game without errors? I haven't.. The demanding combat system, user-friendly crafting, beautiful sceneries and figures, all of that induce to the above score . and don't listen to the haters all around there, support CDPR, buy the Witcher 2, experience the adventure of your life and allow them to create another astonishing part of this game. Expand
  24. Jun 6, 2011
    Well, this game is the best fantasy crpg I've played since, I don't know, possibly even Baldur's Gate. Every single aspect of the game is well thought out, you can almost feel the game developers' love which they poured into their creation. Memorable characters and monsters, amazing story, best graphics I've seen (I don't even think this is an exaggeration), rewarding and dynamic combat system, nice music and voicework. And most of all - loads of fun, games are supposed to be fun and this one is overflowing with fun. I really have to think hard of things I would improve - maybe some menus that are hard to get used to, that's it I guess. I would recommend it to anyone who is mature enough to appreciate what the game brings. And none other crpg brings more. Expand
  25. Jun 6, 2011
    CD Projekt drew a line in the sand with this masterpiece, and the RPG world will never be the same again. The graphics and game play are everything they said it would be and beyond anything I imagined possible. This game makes sweet love to your system. Stunning graphics and an innovative, almost alien, game engine puts this game on the pantheon with the other great RPGs of the last decade, the provocative, engaging, and mature storyline, puts it head and shoulders above them. Gamers are growing up, I am 28 now, it's great to have a game developer growing with us. Thank you CD Projekt. Expand
  26. Jun 7, 2011
    I've been really impressed with this game. Unfortunately, I have not played the first part, and after the epic fail of DA2, I don't expect too much, but it appears that the game is interesting, beautiful and it is really RPG with carefully considered and worked out world. I hope it'll be the game of the year.
  27. Jun 7, 2011
    This is the best RPG years without dispute. I spent the day of release the game at least 8 hours. The plot is super simple, convenient control of the RPG element to the highest level. Poles have done their best.
  28. Jun 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. very good maded history, there is some technical bugs like a thievery the houses, high rigs requirements, no possibility to drink mixtures durring fight so you have to be prepared for all the time , poor equipment, no tutorial so for me it was annoying think to have full equip and dont know how to use it, specially mixtures, very hard fight against many even week enemies, etc... but the story and great music compensate thoose thinks, ANYWAY it was so close to made PERFECT GAME..... Expand
  29. Jun 10, 2011
    Wow the graphics are incredible the best i have ever seen i played ultra spec the detail the complexity of every characters are deep the dialogues are bla bla bla bla bla bla i can go on and on and on whit the quality of this game ITS BY FAR THE BEST RPG IVE PLAYED BRAVO!!!!!! if you like rpg and you got a killer rig you got to try that
  30. Jun 10, 2011
    This is not only the best RPG I have ever played but my all time favorite game now. Been playing all night and just wow. Incredibly fast, fun, tactful combat system. That is just so unbelievably smooth it just feels great. Mixing sorcery with sword play, dodging, blocking. Huge improvement from the first. The storyline is just so engaging and well written. LOL @ Bioware fanboys rating this down. Expect a lot more 0s in the next days. This game is everything DA2 should have been but failed. Suck it down. Expand
  31. Jun 12, 2011
    The witcher 2 is certainly a great improvement and worthy sequel of the original game. There really isn't much to say that hasn't already be said. Visually (if your PC can handle it) it's one of the most beautiful game I've seen for awhile. As for the gameplay itself, there is a learning curve in the beginning, but it would only get easier. I for one enjoy the difficultly of the game because it require you to think and be wary of your actions. Simply put, this isn't Star Wars force unleash where you can dive into 50 enemies and comes out unscratched. For those new to RPG, I recommend turning down the difficulty but trust me, that in the end you will actually feel a sense of accomplishment. The only bones I have to pick with this game is of the story narration. If you're not familiar with the background story, even if you played the original game you would feel lost often because there are simply just too many names being thrown around. I had to read up on wiki and play the game a few times just to understand everything involve. The gameplay itself isn't perfect either. When in battle, sometimes it's very difficult to target a single enemy even if you lock on them. Also, the inventory interface is just too clunky and should be sorted better. If you picked up too many items, especially junk item, it's a pain to find it in your inventory to sell/drop them. Overall despite some of these problems, it does not take much away from how good the game is. I will not spoil anything but this is one of the few games that requires multiple play-through to fully enjoy everything the developers have put into it. In conclusion, this is a must buy RPG game. Expand
  32. Jun 13, 2011
    I write this, having just finished the game but a moment ago.
    I would give this game a 9.7
    Visuals: The vistas have but one description that can suit them: epic. You will visit some masterfully crafted environments, and I had several moments where I had to stop and just, gaze. The graphics are on par with the best the system can throw at you.
    Audio: The voices are well done, though the
    developer is Polish the game avoids the "poor voice over" syndrome so commonly found in ports. The voices are strong enough that they feel natural and at no point interfere with immersion.
    Story: There are some meaningful themes that run across the series, and often there is no right, only the lesser of two evils. Though I do not know how much my choices truly changed the outcome, the story is still one of the best of all the games I have ever played. This game is a saga of the White Wolf, and it made me think.
    Between the story, and the audiovisual component, this game puts CDProject Red on par with Bioware as master story craftsmen. Gameplay: Once you get used to the controls, the fighting is seamless enough, though this is where the .3 was subtracted from the game as artifacts of the eventual port to 360 are present in the PC version. The mouse feels "off" as best I can describe it, too fast when selecting but too slow a camera if you adjust for the selection. The interface lacks a few basic things, like quickload. The game doesn't do as good a job as I'd have liked of explaining some of the more complex components, it was not until the third act that I figured out how to use mutagens. The mouse feels underused, and there is a sense that the game is designed with a gamepad in mind but not to such an extent as other similar ports. The developers seem to have at least tried to stay true to the PC roots.
    There is a reason that my cons contribute but 3% of the score. When the game is taken as a whole, the massive amount done right far outweighs the little annoyances. If you like deep, meaningful RPGs, this game is a godsend.
    I'm now going to go design my own dice poker board.
  33. Jun 15, 2011
    It's been four years since the first Witcher game opened to warm reception in 2007. The PC exclusive action-RPG featured a new combat style, deeply evolving and open-ended paths, and a powerful protagonist with some brutal decisions to make.

The Witcher 2 has proven CDProjekt as a powerhouse developer in the RPG arena. This fledgling developer has improved upon the original Witcher in
    almost every way possible, bringing us a climactic and thrilling adventure that both action and RPG fans alike will appreciate.

See the full text of the review here: http://boredomsadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-witcher-2-tw2.html
  34. Aug 13, 2011
    Brilliant game, great pacing, great quests, my favorite part? The ambiguity of what it means to be "good" or "evil". Instead of the usual choice between "goodie two shoes" and "completely evil bastard" with nothing in between, you actually have to make choices between shades of grey and live with the consequences. I was actually beginning to lose hope that we'd never see a truly great RPG again. Definitely raises the bar of what an RPG can be. Expand
  35. Aug 3, 2011
    Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!
  36. Jun 22, 2011
    Simply the best game i've played in a long time.The epic music and colourful graphics really enhances your experience. Can't believe anyone would rate this game under 90%. its definitely not perfect but its pretty much near close to it.
  37. Jun 24, 2011
    one of the best games i've played in a very long time.
    this in ways reminds me of the original fable, which is one of my all time favourites. the world is not open by any means, but almost feels as though it is. the storyline is amazing, and it's told in such a great way.
    the characters are faultless, i love the dwarves. the minigames are alright too, dice poker, boxing and arm wrestling.
    a little bit on the easy side. but the ultimate freedom to choose, and have your decisions influence the story's progression is excellent. love the combat system. this wont get GOTY because of battlefield 3 and mw3 being released in october/november. but it really should.

as far as rpg's go, this is one of the best
  38. Jun 28, 2011
    An amazing piece of fantasy RPG art. Visually stunning, engaging combat, a fair amount of area to explore and a strong visceral atmosphere. Easily the best Fantasy RPG out this year if not since Oblivion. From looking at the bad user reviews (as there really are not any scathing critic reviews) most of these folks probably couldn't handle the challange of the game. For the first time in quite a while I found myself actually challanged by the quests and some of the bigger boss fights. Occasionally you have to search around to find quest solutions i.e. there isn't a stupid arrow on your map or god-forbid a golden trail and the more significant boss fights require preparation and strategy. This game stands out as a solid PC game that for me at least doesn't feel like a console port, which many recent games have. Highly recommended if you are a fan of the genre at all. Expand
  39. Jun 30, 2011
    Though I had some difficulties with the first part of witcher, which resulted in not finishing it, I still can say that it was an above average game. However the situation changes drastically with the second installation of the game. Witcher 2 is a superb game in every aspect. Storytelling, Music, Atmosphere, Characters (I won't say that they are the greatest I have ever encountered but they certainly are enjoyable and at least i can remember there names, which is not the case with all RPG games). I played this game on lower medium (or even minimum) setting but still found it highly enjoyable, I cannot but envy those who will go through this game on maximum settings. Though I highly enjoyed this game, it goes without saying that there are downturn as well. there are some technical glitches, which i believe can be fixed by patches ( I read that if you have steam account 9 GB, yes 9 GB of patches are available for you). Another problem for me was that, though as mentioned above I enjoyed story I did feel that I was not getting the whole picture all the time, there were to many names, to many kingdoms to whose background I was not introduced, but it did felt me with desire to read books and to get stronger grasp on the world of Andrzej Sapkowski. Expand
  40. Aug 17, 2011
    Desik's review and score of a 1 is exactly what i would expect form the new lazy gamer generation that doesn't have any idea how to explore. All they want is everything handed to them with cheat codes and guides. This games setupa nd mechanics are a greta throw back to the old days of gaming and keeps well with the old witcher game.

If you are a WoW kiddie who has to have everything
    handed to you on easy mode than don't play this game and go back to WoW please. Expand
  41. Jul 5, 2011
    One of the best game I've played since Dragon Age Origins and Neverwinter Nights. The graphics are amazing, the storyline is the intelligent and the action is awesome. The history really changes with your decisions and choices. I was immerse on the scenes and surprises in the history. I recomend this game for all people! Play it!!!
  42. Nov 6, 2011
    This game is really great.I'm a fan of RPGs and I am delighted that I had the opportunity to play the witcher.Witcher 2:Assassin of Kings is amazing!Witcher 2 is an epic adventure with a beautiful, modern graphics.Graphics, which crushes other RPGs.This is an absolute favorite game of 2011.I highly recommend The Witcher.
  43. Jul 6, 2011
    Fantastic game! Highly recommended. Bioware fanboys should suck it up and admit da2 is a total failure and tw2 is a gem everyone should play. Playing the 4th time now.
  44. Jul 8, 2011
    I love this game. The Witcher has "Slavic" climate. Story is interesting and "adult". Moral choice are difficult (not black and white). I must mention the great dialogues (I played in the Polish language version). / Co tu pisaÄ
  45. Sep 2, 2011
    This is how to make a sequel, it takes all of the problems with The Witcher, and improves upon all aspects of the game. The game simplifies combat and eradicates the stances, and quick and strong attacks are simply left and right clicks away a vast improvement over the original. The game is overall very linear in direct on where you go but the choices you make impact the story greatly, if you've played number one you know what to expect and will enjoy the game tremendously. The few qualms with the game is the difficulty at best is erratic, at first it's somewhat brutal but towards the end Geralt can literally brush off most encounters with ease. Loading screens, which you'll see a lot, are too long and really disconnect from the game and the way zones are loaded together can become a nuisance when you're following/escorting someone. Targeting in the game is iffy at best as in noncombat situations selected items in the world is a definite pain and in fights with multiple enemies sometimes the wrong enemy will be attacked which is a nuisance. Overall for any RPG fan this is a can't miss game, the game has it's shortcomings but overall is a solid product. The game looks beautiful, sounds beautiful, and plays beautifully. Any RPG fan who hasn't played this gem deserves to treat themselves to such a fine game. Expand
  46. Jul 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a rare masterpiece in a world of mediocrity. Characters are believable, story line is great, graphics are as good as they can be on current generation of hardware, music and dialogue are top notch. Game runs fluent as hell on mid level systems, especially after patches were introduced. I highly recommend it to any hardcore and casual RPG fan, because this is how modern RPGs should be done. Expand
  47. Nov 6, 2011
    The Witcher 2 became my favorite game.The game is great.It has an epic storyline and beautiful visuals.The game was created for mature customers.It has many advantages.It is not linear, addictive, has an interesting combat system,interesting characters,great soundtrack and many more.My favorite games was: Mass Effect, Mass effect 2, fallout 3, fallout new Vegas.By the time I played the witcher.The Witcher 2: The Assassins of kings, beats all the other giants RPG.CD Project, has created a masterpiece! Expand
  48. Jul 28, 2011
    One of bests game ive played after a long time, the graphics are amazing, everything is made with passion, so deep and immerse. TW1 is good, but TW2 is better in all aspects.
  49. May 25, 2012
    I was never able to really get into Witcher 1 for some reason, but the deficiencies, combat and plot advancement were all improved in Witcher 2. Skyrim and Witcher 2 were both tops on my list for 2011. The Enhanced Edition was even better and has added more replayability, and I appreciate that Projekt Red has actively grown and supported their games post-launch.
  50. Aug 8, 2011
    This is one of the best RPGs I have played for a long time. Graphics are great, story is AWESOME, controls are nice and fluent and the fighting feels good and looks great. Definitely a must buy
  51. Sep 18, 2011
    To sum up in two words: absolutely magnificent. Not perfect of course, but then what is? The graphics are excellent, the story line is compelling, the animation range between good and simply great (Bioware's animators for Dragon Age 2 should hang their heads in shame when they see this game)...the characters believable and you can practically smell the filth in the town streets when you walk down them. This is an adult game, for sure, with salty dialogue and all the better for the uncompromising way the writing reflects that.

This is, in my view, simply the best RPG yet made for the video game medium. Outstanding.
  52. Aug 30, 2011
    Amazing game, well worth the wait and the money. Every decisions you make has an affect. Though combat is not as complex as the first but everything else outshines it.
  53. Sep 3, 2011
    I saw some stupid reviews here that gives the game 1. Those guys could not even cognize a new game with all of their new rules if not from Bio'sla'ver. 1. Attack strategy of Geralt: killing lots of opponents at the same time is like hitting critital. When you hit a critical, you change the course of the fight? You can improve this chance even from the warrior talent tree.. 2. Monster strategy, endrega queen: No, we want to use our brain in the game to defeat monsters, why we play a game anyway? Shouldn't be different from a zero-interactive-movie? 3.Random quest givers: Why on earth this brilliant feature could be a negative effect? 4. Random quest order: Why on earth this brilliant feature seems like a negative effect for a game on your brains? This game is an epic and releases us from the stupid Bio'sla'ver even-under-six-age-can-end-it games. Expand
  54. Sep 4, 2011
    What can i say? This game engages all of your emotions at the most human level. It is an outstanding example of modern interactive entertainment at its greatest!
  55. Sep 6, 2011
    Easily the prettiest game I've ever played. The story is rich and enveloping, and your decisions change how that story unfolds. It employs a unique, and sometimes, challenging combat system that doesn't care if you don't like it. Unfortunately, the inventory and item creation interfaces were sloppy at best. While that really took away from the gaming aspect for me, the game still wowed at most other corners. You can tell this was 150% effort by the developers and that heart shows, which is why it still deserves that A. Expand
  56. Sep 8, 2011
    Simply put, if you enjoyed the first game or are a fan of any RPG this one is by far the best you can find. Despite being a pirate I would happily fork out £40-50 for such a beautifully realised world like that in TW2. GOTY? Quite possibly...
  57. Sep 9, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is not just a game,this epic, thrilling adventure with excellent, interesting to the very end of the story and an excellent, modern, beautiful graphics.This is a game that beats a lot of great titles.Apart from the brilliant storyline and graphics, the witcher 2 has a really spectacular battle system.Dialogues are interesting, very very well done.Great, memorable locations, as well as various forms should impress no one RPG fan.One of the main advantages of the game is no Linearity.Everything depends on the player's decision.The game can be completed in 16 different ways.It depends on us what we will do the mission that we meet the characters and what we will explore a vast area.
    The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings was made in order to mature, requiring the recipient..
    Witcher 2 is a game worth recommending.Its excellent!
  58. Sep 13, 2011
    So, the game passed. Experiences very much. Results can not be described. Oh well. So first what I want to say this nonlinearity. Each quest traversed 2.3 or greater means. And I mean the story side quests, but not as we pass: the sword, signs, etc. This is my first game with non-linear quests. Often do not know which side to stand up. All the two sides. The second thing worth mentioning is the characters and their replicas. Characters pronounced. Each character personality, their views on everything. Death of Cedric caused a lot more emotion than the mother's death Hawke. Although if you sue anyone he Geralt. Replicas are also nonlinear. Russian voice pleases. Particularly pleased with dwarves with their vulgar and rude remarks ... they are beautiful! Third, what is striking is the graphics. Gorgeous graphics engine that produces excellent pictures even at medium machines. It is also perfectly porobotali designers. Otherwise there would be a "demonstration" engine as it was in the first Assassin's Creed. We are surrounded by many small details. And the main thing. Above all praise. Atmosphere. Atmosphere compared with the first part a little blown away. Just a little bit. Here the forest. The birds are singing, gurgling waterfall, mist alarming. Feeling that the monsters very close and is about to pounce on you, they. Or at least the same Verga. This is for me at the moment most atmospheric virtual city that I've seen. Here's another example. A meeting with the Queen endriag. Can you feel her strength, power. Did you know that it can be dangerous. In a meeting with the DA 2 big golem caused only depression. We took a pile of rocks and stuffed into the heap 100 500 HP. Actually, everything. Developers are not deceiving us when we said that in one passage does not see everything. It's true. After all, developers have two campaigns in one! Game must go at least twice - for Iorveta and for Roche. Because it's almost two different storylines, different characters is, cities, etc. Music as ohrinitelna. In the same tavern. This sensual, expressive composition. About this game is much to write, but I probably will stop. You know, even if the CD Project RED screwed up with new games (which I highly doubt), I will love them for that gave the world two great games that probably will always be my favorite. Poles have done a great job. Their game is without flaws, yes, but it is fashionable to say the dignity of all zatmivayut these shortcomings. All of their games is ... native. 10 out of 10! Expand
  59. Sep 22, 2011
    One of the best RPG games ever. Possibly the best looking game ever, with a great story and voice acting. Amazing replay value, and an improvement on the original Witcher, although its a shame it isn't longer. The last chapter is far too short. Brilliant combat system, which is easy to get the hang of. I don't understand why so many people have complained about it.
  60. Sep 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best RPG game ever made. Easily tops Dragon Age and Oblivion, combined, even. The story is compelling and handles things in a serious and realistic tone. The graphics are top of the line and the combat system is everything you would ever want in terms of melee fighting. Other games like Two Worlds II have a similar system, but no where near as fluid and immerse as Witcher 2. The ending leaves much to be desired as there really isn't a payoff and no sense of closure is anywhere to be found. Expand
  61. Sep 28, 2011
    Bardzo dobra gra RPG. W dobrym uniwersum. Jedyne co byÅ
  62. Sep 30, 2011
    Easily the greatest RPG since the Baldur's Gate Series back in the mid-90's, perhaps even a bit better considering the technological differences. There is not a single bad voice actor throughout all of the game, every single inflection in the characters voices is accurate the emotions they're experiencing. Which is another thing the Witcher 2 did well, they conveyed the emotion of the characters spectacularly, making you feel for the prosecuted elves and even sometimes loathe some of the humans you encounter. The characters are in-depth and exceedingly realastic, and if you're a fan of the novels which inspired the game; you're in for a surprise as there are MANY references to the sub-plots of the books.

The musical score aids this aspect of the game greatly, featuring some of the best in-game music I've ever heard; setting the ambiance, for romance, hatred, and sadness all at once in a way that's easily comprehended without being repetitive and annoying like some *cough* Dragon Age 2 *cough*

The graphics are amazing, easily rivaling Crysis 2 if you have the rig to run it, although the engine is not nearly as forgiving as the aforementioned competitor's, the game hitches sometimes even on the most fierce gaming machines. However, I believe that The Witcher 2 is far more aesthetically pleasing than anything in the Crysis Series could ever be; featuring amazing specular maps and bloom effects with HDR and brilliant anti-aliasing that creates a very realistic and gritty feal to a world filled with villainy and deceit; to make it short: the graphics fit the dark theme of the story perfectly. On a side-note; I should add that it is absolutely wonderful to see a developer like CDProjekt RED; a company that doesn't shy away from nudity and actually listens to the requests of their fans. They're more active on their forums than any other developer I've ever seen.
  63. Oct 29, 2011
    This game is **** AMAZING.

I can't be bothered to type out a testament to the brilliance that is The Witcher 2, but after 3 playthroughs, I'm really disappointed that other games (that aren't as good as TW2) get a higher Metascore than TW2 (Deus Ex: HR, not that it's a bad game or anything, just nowhere near as good as TW2).

One of the greatest cRPG's to ever come of existence.
  64. Jan 27, 2012
    Amazing game. A Fantastic mix of Assassin's Creed and Oblivion. The combat system is better than Oblivion. My prefer game of 2011.

PC version uses DirectX 11 API and no DRM.
  65. Mar 6, 2012
    What I really love about the Witcher 2 apart from the stunny graphics, which obviously is a given, is that it is so realistic, for example you have to drink potions before combat. In most other games you can be in the midst of battle, but somehow you can just pop out a potion from your backpack and drink it in 1 second, and be instantly healed. The Witcher however snaps people back to reality, you need time to prepare the potion, you need to meditate and drink it, and even then you wont see immediate effects, instead it boosts healing rates. Another great aspect of the game is the side missions, for example at some point you will need to venture off into the wilderness to kill some monsters, but instead of being able to just go out and hunt, you need to learn their weaknesses, where they live, what you can harvest from them, and how to defeat them. There are 2 ways to do this, go out and learn by doing, or read a book about it. Finally I love the divergent plot lines, and how you cannot understand the full story until you play through both paths

CDPROJECT brought brand new ideas to the table, and perfected old ones, the Witcher 2 is the greatest RPG to date.
  66. May 21, 2012
    One of my all time favorite RPG's. Gorgeous graphics, fun combat system, amazing story, real choices, and nice difficulty. Any fan of RPG's needs to pick this game up.
  67. Oct 31, 2011
    The Best RPG ever! Dark and serious, completely breaking candy-fantasy style of most RPGs present on the market. Characters are real and true, with all personality aspects. Dropping idea of good vs evil for decisions and consequences is just the best what can happen to RPG game. Balance of different type of quests is a state-of-art and fighting system are demanding but not discouraging, one can feel like the real witcher. Graphics is just amazing. Small -1 for soundtrack, only because the first Witcher has done it better and a little bit, too short story. Great job! Expand
  68. Nov 1, 2011
    CD Projekt Red has GOTY 2011 in the pocket. There's signs of developer blindness (until the mega 2.0 redux patch the difficulty curve was very steep unless you browsed for some helpful tutorials online) and some of the features either somewhat strange or simply badly documented but those are minor setbacks as Witcher 2 is a technological and artistic masterpiece and shows (for most of) the game industry how you create a game that will be remembered as a classic while taking care of your fans and customers. Expand
  69. Nov 8, 2011
    I'm new to this franchise and decided to buy it after reading its reviews. I loved the game! The story was quite fascinating and the graphics are top notch. The gameplay takes some time to get used to, but once you pick it up it's not bad. The characters and voice acting are very good and are also very interesting. There are a few things that could make this game a bit better - one would be some sort of class system and more customization (but I'm not sure how this would fit in). The game also has some glitches that could be fixed (which I think they did with the new patch.) The game kind of slacks off near the end though (notably the third act) which the story seems kind of rushed and the environment in the 3rd act seems completely wasted. While the 1st and 2nd acts of the game took a very long time, the third act was so short to be even called an act in itself. It was clear the developers were rushed to finish it, which is kind of disappointing - since the game had so much going for it. Decisions made also impact the game's progression (which I love) and makes you want to play it at least twice to get the 'full' experience. Mini games like arm wrestling, gambling and fist fighting were also a plus (gambling game kind of confused me though). (Overall score: 9.0 ) Expand
  70. Apr 1, 2012
    im great game i've played..
    nice story and graphic although my comp doesnt have a powerful gpu to make this game looks great..
    but in overal this game really recomended to plying..

nice story and intrique on this game...
    unpatienly wait sequel from this game
  71. Nov 16, 2011
    Best RPG in YEARS! I liked Two Worlds 2 but this is WAY better! Does everything right in terms of old school adventure and replayability. Drives the retarded "McWonderland" competition out of the picture. Love the beautiful environments. Love love love this game!
  72. Feb 11, 2012
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a fantastic RPG Pros: -Amazing, jaw-dropping graphics (granted that you have a rig that can run it at max settings)
    -An RPG with "gray area" decision-making, no definite good, bad, neutral
    -A political, dark, mature plot -An immersive, beautiful world

Cons: -A somewhat disappointing and seemingly rushed 3rd act and ending. The first two acts were,
    in my opinion, one of the best in RPG storytelling.
    -Gameplay that becomes much, much easier as you go farther into the game. A must buy for RPG lovers and a very high recommendation to those who show the least bit of interest in this game.
  73. Feb 11, 2012
    I would say 9.5 but I'll round up to 10. This game isn't PERFECT, but it's amazing. Great story, great sound, great functionality - I think I had a bug once? I don't really remember. It was minor. Better programmed than blockbuser 100 million dollar titles, better looking, more fun, more interesting, more new. This is one of those games that will live on in my memories fondly. I'm a huge fan of other games like ME1, ME2 and many other RPGs that really blew me out of the water much like this one. I was extremely disappointed to see this wasn't even on the LIST of GOTY from BAFTA for 2011. I am a long-term hardcore battlefield fan and fan of other series on that list, but this game beats them all hands down and I'm sure many others would agree. Expand
  74. Apr 15, 2012
    Absolutely stunning. At long last a mature RPG game for adult players. Complex story, difficult choices that matter. This game offers so much, it pays breathlessly. It has it's vices and minor kinks (interface might be one of those). I might have done many things differently, but with even numerous issues you might have with this game there is nothing better out there yet, so this is the best you can get on the market, hence a full 10/10.

Kudos to CD Projekt RED for a fabulouos release. Looking forward to more!
  75. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is a 10/10. The story is immersive, the graphics beautiful, the game play and combat system very cool and skill-based. I tried to complete as many quests as possible and leveled fairly high and yet I never felt that the enemies were too easy to kill, so they scale well with you. The extra content post-release shows how much this company cares about the games they create. The new 10 GB content pack released a few days ago proves that. Incredible. Well worth the money spent. Expand
  76. Dec 31, 2011
    Cd project one more time give us an excellent modern rpg with a complex deep story. Cd project create again a high quality game with fantastic graphics, excellent sound and a very good gameplay. A must play for all rpg fans
  77. Jan 2, 2012
    Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is the best game of the year 2011. Has excellent story, characters, graphic, dialogues, everything in this game is brilliant! Witcher 2 crushes such games as: Dragon Age 2, TES V Skyrim, Deus Ex HR or Fable III. Game of the year! And sorry, for my bad English.
  78. Feb 2, 2012
    I dont write reviews and I wasn't even member of this site till I played Witcher 2 few days ago. Bioware has spread themselves thin developing their Star wars MMO and I am not surprised that they couldnt deliver with Dragon Age 2. Simply put they took all the engine and the code that developed for Star wars MMO and tried to slap something together and call it Dragon Age 2 then find bunch silly excuses for things like not having tactical view yada yada yada. Witcher 2 is superb game and the franchise as a whole has great potential. Great job CDProjekt just when I thought that people dont make games like before and all sell out to mainstream, you prove us all wrong. Keep it UP! Expand
  79. Feb 9, 2012
    Wonderfull game. Thanks to the Witcher 2 fantasy RPG fans had something to play in 2011, since Bioware completely destroyed their formerly stellar franchise with the awfull Dragon Age II.
  80. Feb 19, 2012
    By no means a perfect game, yet the most enjoyable video game I can recall playing. The graphics are spectacular, even on my rig, which is pretty average. The multilateral storyline is quite frankly, brilliance if ever I saw it. The realism of sound effects will help immerse the player and the voice acting, patchy here and there, is generally good. It's a game that doesnt take itself too seriously, with the occasional reference to Lord of The Rings that none of the characters really understand. The combat however, will annoy some people while pleasing others. The great strength of the original Witcher was its strong storytelling, and this is no different to the sequel. Where the Witcher 2 excels, however, is in how the decisions the player makes, so greatly affect the story they play in down the track. The storyline/storylines themselves are both rich and mature and you get the sense that the quests you complete, has in one way or another, affected the community, country or world that you are playing in. The decisions you make are subtle. There is no shining beam of light above the "moral" choice and flame wreathed "amoral" immoral choices. This alone sets the game apart from other RPGs where the player is forced to make choices. People however, polarise on the subject of combat within the game. Some argue that the nature of the combat makes the game too easy, while some complain that it never executes actions on the target the player wants it to. Few people were a fan of the main characters stagger, or flinch when he is hit which would in turn interrupt his own attacks. Personally I never really had an issue with it, though it definitely took some getting used to, although I found it, immediately more difficult than your typical hack and slash game. Also is the issue of swearing and sexual content. Some people wouldnt mind it, while others will be annoyed by it. Thus, not one for the kids. Overall, one of the best, most enthralling worlds Ive ever been immersed into. Not everyones cup of tea but, in my mind at least, the most enjoyable game Ive ever played. I hesitate to give away my 10/10 score, yet, it really does not get much better than this. Expand
  81. Apr 17, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is GOTY 2011 for me. Incredible graphics, dynamic storyline with different outcomes depending on your choices, diverse gameplay and great replayablity. Also, CD Projekt RED offers fantastic support.
  82. Apr 26, 2012
    amazing story, awesome graphics and developers are not scared to show some nudity! It is a very mature game with a lot of potential. everything was made with love...Bravo devs...
  83. Mar 30, 2012
    As a reader of the books and after multiple playthroughs of the first part I can safely say, that CD projekt is godlike! this is the most impressing world I have experienced yet, it deserves to be placed at the side of Lotr. And unlike the movie, the game manages to adapt the spirit of this world and the main character from the books into an awesome game. I will definitely play it again and again to discover new things around the beautiful, terrifying, astonishing witcher series. This piece of art has left a mark in my life and I would recommend anyone to play the game and every Polish, German or Russian speaking human being to read this masterwork of a book series.
    Now regarding the combat mechanics: It is challenging, fast-paced, fun and fits in the world. Anyone stating something different hasn't really got into it or should play other kinds of games.
    The interface is well-thought-out and fine to handle. The only flaw is the short third chapter but this will apparently be fixed by 17th of April when the next huge patch is arriving.
  84. Apr 13, 2012
    The passion and the dedication put into The Witcher 2 is evident even in the menus and loading screens. This is a project of love from CD Prokekt RED that radiates and stands out among a mass of bland and standard RPGs. The combat is a throwback for older gamers that love slower-paced, albeit more rewarding game play. The action is constant, the adult themes are complex and appreciated, and the presentation is flawless. This is one of the best looking games I've seen in years, rivaling larger AAA studios. I can't wait for the next installment. 10/10. Expand
  85. Apr 17, 2012
    Truly fantastic game. It's a shame that some people are so unfair to post "0" without any serious reason. The Witcher 2 is a feast for the eyes and for the brain. Fights are more difficult than in the first part, for the first time in ages I had to think before the battle what strategy to use. Brilliant! Everyone who don't like to fight can use "easy" and feel the wonderful world of the Witcher. Buy it it's worth it. Expand
  86. Apr 26, 2012
    Yeah this game was really great but now with enhanced edition is 100% better than was ! Must have for sure for every rpg fan ! SO do not wait and go buy it :)
  87. Apr 18, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is the best sequel I have seen in a very long time. The story is phenomenal, the game play can be set to be extremely challenging or to be more of a story telling situation. The side quests involved with the game are meant to be more investigative rather that go here, collect this or go there, kill that. Although, there are some quests that do involve simple killing, it is in line with the work of Geralt. Above all I love that this game has stepped away from good or bad decisions, but really relies on shades of grey choices. There is no good, no bad, but only choices that shall affect the story that you chose for Geralt. That alone makes this by far one of the best games I have ever played. Expand
  88. Apr 24, 2012
    I have given The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings:
    A technical score of 85/100
    A personal score of 10/10

Fore more details and the full reviews, please go to the following link
  89. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome game it has every thing I hoped for, I really loved to play ioverth's path off course roche's path was also good but the characters and the epic story in ioverth's path blows out the kadweni champ and roche himself , Graphics of the game are outstanding and gorgeous, This game is highly recommended for serious gamers causal gamers might find the game a bit hard but its epic you will know once you start playing. Merits : Absolutely epic story , Graphics ,Characters, dialogs.(Almost everything in the game). Cons : Traps were bit boring and were not that friendly but bombs were great, The interface of the game could be made better (Save system's and Inventory management) . -All the dlc's (Including the EE patch) with extra quests and extra items were absolutely free and the developer seems to show a great respect for the fans and customers. Well its really great for us customers. Overall : A must buy for serious gamers. Expand
  90. May 2, 2012
    This game is very AWESOME, i love it .. the world the characters all ... forget Skyrim forget Oblivion .. forget Mass effect ... The Witcher > all ... And Cd - Project is a very nice developer
  91. Jun 1, 2012
    Definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Amazing story, compelling characters, incredible graphics and great battle mechanics. Congratulations CD Project RED - You've done great job making most immersing RPG ever.
  92. May 21, 2012
    One of the best video games in the last 10-15 years I think (not many worth playing, generally). RPG base with actual meaningful decisions (when did you ever have those since PS: Torment?) and mature setting/story. They also basically added an action game on top for combat. Needs to be played in the original Polish (English subtitles for me) in my opinion.
  93. Sep 3, 2011
    maybe (hopefully) i'll up my score once the update 2.0 get released but as the game is now (v1.35), it is horrible. i loved the first one (a 10/10 for me) and shelled out for a second graphics card just to be able to play witcher 2 with max details. turns out - that's not the biggest issue.
    now - i don't even care (much) about gamedesign choices. i'm not particularly fond of the combat
    redesign (i loved the combo system - and hate those cinematic instantkills in witcher 2... they're fun a couple of times but it gets old real quick...) and i don't like how especially the main characters have become run of the mill action heroes (in terms of their physical design) instead of the humble looking geralt and the graceful looking triss from the first part.
    but... the story is still there and most features work nicely. so... nevermind those "minor" issues.
    BUT (!!!) the game is so bug-ridden, it's not even funny any more. i've talked about it with a friend who has also been a gamer for around two decades and neither of us has ever played a game with so many bugs that were there consistently. sure, you'll get the odd bug here and there in games. but e.g. the block system is completely screwed up (at least in v1.35, geralt doesn't always block if you hold E - you have about a 50/50 chance that he will actually do it), the medallion is supposed to highlight objects you can loot/interact with but again about a 50/50 chance that it will also highlight things you can't do anything with and much more (look at the technical support forum on the official website if you want a whole list...).
    there have been quite a few games that were criticized by gamers about having been rushed and letting gamers do the beta (and sometimes it maybe even feels like alpha) testing. i never read something like that about witcher 2. and i wonder: why?!
    (still looks gorgeous and most things WOULD be there. hence the still 8/10... i really hope they'll fix these things)
  94. Mar 11, 2012
    A fantastic video game with an elaborate story, engaging plot, enjoyable gameplay, and fantastic graphics. The only things that hold it back from being a 10 are a few minor glitches, an AI that is awkward at times, and some hiccups in the plot during the final act.

Prepare to enjoy yourself with this great game.
  95. May 13, 2012
    Fantastic game. Your decisions actually affect the story line (unlike some other disappointing rpgs of late). Combat is vastly improved over the first. The plot is a little complex on the first play through, but see it out and it all fits together nicely. I've only liked a few rpgs as much as this, defiantly fit to grace the shelf along with Morrowind, KOTOR, Mass effect 1.
  96. Aug 2, 2011
    The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is very good game, with amazing graphics, good gameplay with a pretty good story, with non-linear story, nice characters. Game have several errors, but not enough and do not hinder the game.
  97. Mar 6, 2012
    I had a great deal of difficulty installing this game with the code to activate it so I shelved it for awhile. Well, I am glad I played it finally. This is definitely a well deserved M rating. Don't let a kid play this one! The gameplay is great though and is very exciting. Better than the first one in every way. I have the XBOX version pre-ordered I loved it so much. One of the best RPG's in recent years especially as a PC exclusive. Definitely recommend playing this before the XBOX one comes out if you play PC games. Expand
  98. Jul 18, 2011
    Finally I completed my second Witcher 2 playthrough. So now I feel like I am competent enough to review this game. Now the main marketing focus was the non-linear story, and that is what I would like to concentrate on. I feel like non-linearity in games is like choices in the matrix... as long as you have the illusion of choice, it is good... Now, do I feel, that the non-linearity in the W2 lived up to it's hype? No.
    Do I believe, that this is the most Non-linear Game ever made (with nice graphics at least...)? Yes.
    The devs have been bragging about the 16 endings, now... does this really qualify as 16 endings? Let's go with a Mass Effect comparison: you have like 12 companions, each one can be (dis-)loyal at the end, each one can be disloyal and each one can die. Now ask your selfs: How many possible ending-scenarios would that be: more than 400 plus destroying collector base or not and you can double that number. So the final outcome of the Witchers Non-linearity is not THAT amazing and it comes down to who lived, who died. JUST as in Mass Effect 2, or is there more to it?
    Well there is more to it, because the game is not about the (over-hyped) endings. It is about the various ways your journey will go, to get you to the one ending with 16 variations. And that is the ground by which the Witcher 2 dethrones EVERYTHING that has come before it!
    BioWare games go like this:
    Go to location 1. Fight. Choose A or B.
    Go to location 2. Fight. Choose C or D.
    FINALE which is impacted by decisions from locations 1, 2. The End -with trillions different WRITTEN endings in DA:O -with 2 different animated endings in ME1 -with one ending in ME2
    Now, I am not saying this is bad. I love me a good BioWare game, loved all of them besides one... you know which. But: Enter the Witcher 2.
    You get to choose one of (OMG!) 2 different paths to get to the 1 ending (with 16 variations). Now that still does not sound very non-linear. Just two? Well, for one thing, THAT is already twice as much as any other BioWare game. Those paths are not just side missions, they completely change the location, the characters, the quests, the tone, it is COMPLETELY different. Playing it the second time around I felt like "touched for the very first time". OK, but let us get to the question no one asked. Are both paths equal... most comments I read, said the elven story is better and although both were engaging and fun I have to agree... if you choose to go with the Elves it seems there is simply much more to it. I recommend to play both paths, because they are both great. BUT the Elven story is definitely stronger in it's narrative!
    So in the end... is this the holy grail of non-linear RPG? No
    But it IS the closest thing anyone has come close to.
    Now the other thing: Save game import... Is it done great? Does it justify playing the earlier game just to get different starting scenarios?
    Well ask youself: DO YOU LIKE THE EARLIER GAME? If no... than you might miss out most in the Mass Effect franchise. If we are talking about Dragon Age the import is really under-utilized here. The Witcher is somewhere between those 2, closer to the DA. The save game import is not really a very sophisticated function and it really needs to grow.
    OK let's talk about sex!
    I am sorry I am comapring this so much to BW, but BW is my favorit company, so I know their games. In both ME and DA the sex seemed more explicit in the first ones, then in their sequels. The Witcher goes the other way... is it better because of it?
    I have heard praises as wall as critiques, here is my take on this:
    The sex cards were a stupid concept... but well executed. The soft-porn scenes are a better concept... but they are not that well executed. The voices, the sounds, the whole audio in them seems badly done. The editing is not exactly top. But I support sex in games. Best sex scene ? ME1 then Heavy Rain then The Witcher2!
    OK, so lets cut to the basics, and lets get to the end of this. The Witcher 2 has lots of bugs, which annoy, but do not destroy the it!
    The Witcher 2 has 2 big patches which make the above statement just 40% true!
    The Witcher 2 gets free DLC with every patch!
    The Witcher 2 has great combat,
    The Witcher 2 has one hell of a great story, which seems to really find it's ending in the next Witcher... or the one after that...
    The Witcher 2 is simply one great game and I accomplished not to
    mention up to now the beautiful locations and all around graphics...
    Is this the official dethronement of Bioware? No.
    Is this the official dethronement of Dragon Age? No. Dragon Age committed
    suicide in my opinion...
    This is just another top notch RPG... and we do not get many of them! So
    buy it... play it! And than buy all Dragon Ages... and than go buy Mass
    Effects... And Deus Ex... and Elder Scrolls... and Fallouts... (although I never liked the last two... ahh well.. here comes Skyrim, will give it a chance) RPG needs to live! It needs you to buy it! In all its forms!
  99. May 17, 2011
    M_Stannard's review is a sharp bit of sarcasm oriented to Dragon Age 2, it's clear :) Though, why just for the sake of sarcasm give a really good game (The Witcher 2) a negative score? Think about it, M_Stannard, because it may misguide people, who look only at scores chart and do not actually read your review. Because if one reads your review, it's immediately apparent that it's sarcastic :)

Now, about The Witcher 2 - the game is really, really great!!!

1. Oct 21, 2011