8.5

1. Jun 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. very good maded history, there is some technical bugs like a thievery the houses, high rigs requirements, no possibility to drink mixtures durring fight so you have to be prepared for all the time , poor equipment, no tutorial so for me it was annoying think to have full equip and dont know how to use it, specially mixtures, very hard fight against many even week enemies, etc... but the story and great music compensate thoose thinks, ANYWAY it was so close to made PERFECT GAME..... Expand
  2. Jun 12, 2011
    The witcher 2 is certainly a great improvement and worthy sequel of the original game. There really isn't much to say that hasn't already be said. Visually (if your PC can handle it) it's one of the most beautiful game I've seen for awhile. As for the gameplay itself, there is a learning curve in the beginning, but it would only get easier. I for one enjoy the difficultly of the gameThe witcher 2 is certainly a great improvement and worthy sequel of the original game. There really isn't much to say that hasn't already be said. Visually (if your PC can handle it) it's one of the most beautiful game I've seen for awhile. As for the gameplay itself, there is a learning curve in the beginning, but it would only get easier. I for one enjoy the difficultly of the game because it require you to think and be wary of your actions. Simply put, this isn't Star Wars force unleash where you can dive into 50 enemies and comes out unscratched. For those new to RPG, I recommend turning down the difficulty but trust me, that in the end you will actually feel a sense of accomplishment. The only bones I have to pick with this game is of the story narration. If you're not familiar with the background story, even if you played the original game you would feel lost often because there are simply just too many names being thrown around. I had to read up on wiki and play the game a few times just to understand everything involve. The gameplay itself isn't perfect either. When in battle, sometimes it's very difficult to target a single enemy even if you lock on them. Also, the inventory interface is just too clunky and should be sorted better. If you picked up too many items, especially junk item, it's a pain to find it in your inventory to sell/drop them. Overall despite some of these problems, it does not take much away from how good the game is. I will not spoil anything but this is one of the few games that requires multiple play-through to fully enjoy everything the developers have put into it. In conclusion, this is a must buy RPG game. Expand
  3. Jun 13, 2011
    I write this, having just finished the game but a moment ago.
    I would give this game a 9.7
    Visuals: The vistas have but one description that can suit them: epic. You will visit some masterfully crafted environments, and I had several moments where I had to stop and just, gaze. The graphics are on par with the best the system can throw at you. Audio: The voices are well done, though the
    I write this, having just finished the game but a moment ago.
    I would give this game a 9.7
    Audio: The voices are well done, though the developer is Polish the game avoids the "poor voice over" syndrome so commonly found in ports. The voices are strong enough that they feel natural and at no point interfere with immersion.
    Story: There are some meaningful themes that run across the series, and often there is no right, only the lesser of two evils. Though I do not know how much my choices truly changed the outcome, the story is still one of the best of all the games I have ever played. This game is a saga of the White Wolf, and it made me think.
    Between the story, and the audiovisual component, this game puts CDProject Red on par with Bioware as master story craftsmen. Gameplay: Once you get used to the controls, the fighting is seamless enough, though this is where the .3 was subtracted from the game as artifacts of the eventual port to 360 are present in the PC version. The mouse feels "off" as best I can describe it, too fast when selecting but too slow a camera if you adjust for the selection. The interface lacks a few basic things, like quickload. The game doesn't do as good a job as I'd have liked of explaining some of the more complex components, it was not until the third act that I figured out how to use mutagens. The mouse feels underused, and there is a sense that the game is designed with a gamepad in mind but not to such an extent as other similar ports. The developers seem to have at least tried to stay true to the PC roots.
    There is a reason that my cons contribute but 3% of the score. When the game is taken as a whole, the massive amount done right far outweighs the little annoyances. If you like deep, meaningful RPGs, this game is a godsend.
    I'm now going to go design my own dice poker board.
  4. Jun 15, 2011
    It's been four years since the first Witcher game opened to warm reception in 2007. The PC exclusive action-RPG featured a new combat style, deeply evolving and open-ended paths, and a powerful protagonist with some brutal decisions to make.

The Witcher 2 has proven CDProjekt as a powerhouse developer in the RPG arena. This fledgling developer has improved upon the original Witcher in almost every way possible, bringing us a climactic and thrilling adventure that both action and RPG fans alike will appreciate.

See the full text of the review here: http://boredomsadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-witcher-2-tw2.html
  5. Aug 13, 2011
    Brilliant game, great pacing, great quests, my favorite part? The ambiguity of what it means to be "good" or "evil". Instead of the usual choice between "goodie two shoes" and "completely evil bastard" with nothing in between, you actually have to make choices between shades of grey and live with the consequences. I was actually beginning to lose hope that we'd never see a truly great RPGBrilliant game, great pacing, great quests, my favorite part? The ambiguity of what it means to be "good" or "evil". Instead of the usual choice between "goodie two shoes" and "completely evil bastard" with nothing in between, you actually have to make choices between shades of grey and live with the consequences. I was actually beginning to lose hope that we'd never see a truly great RPG again. Definitely raises the bar of what an RPG can be. Expand
  6. Jun 22, 2011
    Simply the best game i've played in a long time.The epic music and colourful graphics really enhances your experience. Can't believe anyone would rate this game under 90%. its definitely not perfect but its pretty much near close to it.
  7. Jun 24, 2011
    one of the best games i've played in a very long time.
    this in ways reminds me of the original fable, which is one of my all time favourites. the world is not open by any means, but almost feels as though it is. the storyline is amazing, and it's told in such a great way.
    one of the best games i've played in a very long time.
    the characters are faultless, i love the dwarves. the minigames are alright too, dice poker, boxing and arm wrestling. a little bit on the easy side. but the ultimate freedom to choose, and have your decisions influence the story's progression is excellent. love the combat system. this wont get GOTY because of battlefield 3 and mw3 being released in october/november. but it really should.

as far as rpg's go, this is one of the best
  8. Jun 28, 2011
    An amazing piece of fantasy RPG art. Visually stunning, engaging combat, a fair amount of area to explore and a strong visceral atmosphere. Easily the best Fantasy RPG out this year if not since Oblivion. From looking at the bad user reviews (as there really are not any scathing critic reviews) most of these folks probably couldn't handle the challange of the game. For the first time inAn amazing piece of fantasy RPG art. Visually stunning, engaging combat, a fair amount of area to explore and a strong visceral atmosphere. Easily the best Fantasy RPG out this year if not since Oblivion. From looking at the bad user reviews (as there really are not any scathing critic reviews) most of these folks probably couldn't handle the challange of the game. For the first time in quite a while I found myself actually challanged by the quests and some of the bigger boss fights. Occasionally you have to search around to find quest solutions i.e. there isn't a stupid arrow on your map or god-forbid a golden trail and the more significant boss fights require preparation and strategy. This game stands out as a solid PC game that for me at least doesn't feel like a console port, which many recent games have. Highly recommended if you are a fan of the genre at all. Expand
  9. Jun 30, 2011
    Though I had some difficulties with the first part of witcher, which resulted in not finishing it, I still can say that it was an above average game. However the situation changes drastically with the second installation of the game. Witcher 2 is a superb game in every aspect. Storytelling, Music, Atmosphere, Characters (I won't say that they are the greatest I have ever encountered butThough I had some difficulties with the first part of witcher, which resulted in not finishing it, I still can say that it was an above average game. However the situation changes drastically with the second installation of the game. Witcher 2 is a superb game in every aspect. Storytelling, Music, Atmosphere, Characters (I won't say that they are the greatest I have ever encountered but they certainly are enjoyable and at least i can remember there names, which is not the case with all RPG games). I played this game on lower medium (or even minimum) setting but still found it highly enjoyable, I cannot but envy those who will go through this game on maximum settings. Though I highly enjoyed this game, it goes without saying that there are downturn as well. there are some technical glitches, which i believe can be fixed by patches ( I read that if you have steam account 9 GB, yes 9 GB of patches are available for you). Another problem for me was that, though as mentioned above I enjoyed story I did feel that I was not getting the whole picture all the time, there were to many names, to many kingdoms to whose background I was not introduced, but it did felt me with desire to read books and to get stronger grasp on the world of Andrzej Sapkowski. Expand
  10. Jul 5, 2011
    One of the best game I've played since Dragon Age Origins and Neverwinter Nights. The graphics are amazing, the storyline is the intelligent and the action is awesome. The history really changes with your decisions and choices. I was immerse on the scenes and surprises in the history. I recomend this game for all people! Play it!!!
  11. Jul 6, 2011
    Fantastic game! Highly recommended. Bioware fanboys should suck it up and admit da2 is a total failure and tw2 is a gem everyone should play. Playing the 4th time now.
  12. Jul 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a rare masterpiece in a world of mediocrity. Characters are believable, story line is great, graphics are as good as they can be on current generation of hardware, music and dialogue are top notch. Game runs fluent as hell on mid level systems, especially after patches were introduced. I highly recommend it to any hardcore and casual RPG fan, becauseThe Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a rare masterpiece in a world of mediocrity. Characters are believable, story line is great, graphics are as good as they can be on current generation of hardware, music and dialogue are top notch. Game runs fluent as hell on mid level systems, especially after patches were introduced. I highly recommend it to any hardcore and casual RPG fan, because this is how modern RPGs should be done. Expand
  13. Sep 30, 2011
    Easily the greatest RPG since the Baldur's Gate Series back in the mid-90's, perhaps even a bit better considering the technological differences. There is not a single bad voice actor throughout all of the game, every single inflection in the characters voices is accurate the emotions they're experiencing. Which is another thing the Witcher 2 did well, they conveyed the emotion of theEasily the greatest RPG since the Baldur's Gate Series back in the mid-90's, perhaps even a bit better considering the technological differences. There is not a single bad voice actor throughout all of the game, every single inflection in the characters voices is accurate the emotions they're experiencing. Which is another thing the Witcher 2 did well, they conveyed the emotion of the characters spectacularly, making you feel for the prosecuted elves and even sometimes loathe some of the humans you encounter. The characters are in-depth and exceedingly realastic, and if you're a fan of the novels which inspired the game; you're in for a surprise as there are MANY references to the sub-plots of the books.

The musical score aids this aspect of the game greatly, featuring some of the best in-game music I've ever heard; setting the ambiance, for romance, hatred, and sadness all at once in a way that's easily comprehended without being repetitive and annoying like some *cough* Dragon Age 2 *cough*

The graphics are amazing, easily rivaling Crysis 2 if you have the rig to run it, although the engine is not nearly as forgiving as the aforementioned competitor's, the game hitches sometimes even on the most fierce gaming machines. However, I believe that The Witcher 2 is far more aesthetically pleasing than anything in the Crysis Series could ever be; featuring amazing specular maps and bloom effects with HDR and brilliant anti-aliasing that creates a very realistic and gritty feal to a world filled with villainy and deceit; to make it short: the graphics fit the dark theme of the story perfectly. On a side-note; I should add that it is absolutely wonderful to see a developer like CDProjekt RED; a company that doesn't shy away from nudity and actually listens to the requests of their fans. They're more active on their forums than any other developer I've ever seen.
  14. Mar 6, 2012
    What I really love about the Witcher 2 apart from the stunny graphics, which obviously is a given, is that it is so realistic, for example you have to drink potions before combat. In most other games you can be in the midst of battle, but somehow you can just pop out a potion from your backpack and drink it in 1 second, and be instantly healed. The Witcher however snaps people back toWhat I really love about the Witcher 2 apart from the stunny graphics, which obviously is a given, is that it is so realistic, for example you have to drink potions before combat. In most other games you can be in the midst of battle, but somehow you can just pop out a potion from your backpack and drink it in 1 second, and be instantly healed. The Witcher however snaps people back to reality, you need time to prepare the potion, you need to meditate and drink it, and even then you wont see immediate effects, instead it boosts healing rates. Another great aspect of the game is the side missions, for example at some point you will need to venture off into the wilderness to kill some monsters, but instead of being able to just go out and hunt, you need to learn their weaknesses, where they live, what you can harvest from them, and how to defeat them. There are 2 ways to do this, go out and learn by doing, or read a book about it. Finally I love the divergent plot lines, and how you cannot understand the full story until you play through both paths

CDPROJECT brought brand new ideas to the table, and perfected old ones, the Witcher 2 is the greatest RPG to date.
  15. May 21, 2012
    One of my all time favorite RPG's. Gorgeous graphics, fun combat system, amazing story, real choices, and nice difficulty. Any fan of RPG's needs to pick this game up.
  16. Apr 1, 2012
    im great game i've played..
    nice story and graphic although my comp doesnt have a powerful gpu to make this game looks great..
    but in overal this game really recomended to plying..

nice story and intrique on this game...
    unpatienly wait sequel from this game
  17. Apr 15, 2012
    Absolutely stunning. At long last a mature RPG game for adult players. Complex story, difficult choices that matter. This game offers so much, it pays breathlessly. It has it's vices and minor kinks (interface might be one of those). I might have done many things differently, but with even numerous issues you might have with this game there is nothing better out there yet, so this is theAbsolutely stunning. At long last a mature RPG game for adult players. Complex story, difficult choices that matter. This game offers so much, it pays breathlessly. It has it's vices and minor kinks (interface might be one of those). I might have done many things differently, but with even numerous issues you might have with this game there is nothing better out there yet, so this is the best you can get on the market, hence a full 10/10.

Kudos to CD Projekt RED for a fabulouos release. Looking forward to more!
  18. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is a 10/10. The story is immersive, the graphics beautiful, the game play and combat system very cool and skill-based. I tried to complete as many quests as possible and leveled fairly high and yet I never felt that the enemies were too easy to kill, so they scale well with you. The extra content post-release shows how much this company cares about the games they create. The newThis game is a 10/10. The story is immersive, the graphics beautiful, the game play and combat system very cool and skill-based. I tried to complete as many quests as possible and leveled fairly high and yet I never felt that the enemies were too easy to kill, so they scale well with you. The extra content post-release shows how much this company cares about the games they create. The new 10 GB content pack released a few days ago proves that. Incredible. Well worth the money spent. Expand
  19. Jan 2, 2012
    Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is the best game of the year 2011. Has excellent story, characters, graphic, dialogues, everything in this game is brilliant! Witcher 2 crushes such games as: Dragon Age 2, TES V Skyrim, Deus Ex HR or Fable III. Game of the year! And sorry, for my bad English.
  20. Feb 19, 2012
    By no means a perfect game, yet the most enjoyable video game I can recall playing. The graphics are spectacular, even on my rig, which is pretty average. The multilateral storyline is quite frankly, brilliance if ever I saw it. The realism of sound effects will help immerse the player and the voice acting, patchy here and there, is generally good. It's a game that doesnt take itself tooBy no means a perfect game, yet the most enjoyable video game I can recall playing. The graphics are spectacular, even on my rig, which is pretty average. The multilateral storyline is quite frankly, brilliance if ever I saw it. The realism of sound effects will help immerse the player and the voice acting, patchy here and there, is generally good. It's a game that doesnt take itself too seriously, with the occasional reference to Lord of The Rings that none of the characters really understand. The combat however, will annoy some people while pleasing others. The great strength of the original Witcher was its strong storytelling, and this is no different to the sequel. Where the Witcher 2 excels, however, is in how the decisions the player makes, so greatly affect the story they play in down the track. The storyline/storylines themselves are both rich and mature and you get the sense that the quests you complete, has in one way or another, affected the community, country or world that you are playing in. The decisions you make are subtle. There is no shining beam of light above the "moral" choice and flame wreathed "amoral" immoral choices. This alone sets the game apart from other RPGs where the player is forced to make choices. People however, polarise on the subject of combat within the game. Some argue that the nature of the combat makes the game too easy, while some complain that it never executes actions on the target the player wants it to. Few people were a fan of the main characters stagger, or flinch when he is hit which would in turn interrupt his own attacks. Personally I never really had an issue with it, though it definitely took some getting used to, although I found it, immediately more difficult than your typical hack and slash game. Also is the issue of swearing and sexual content. Some people wouldnt mind it, while others will be annoyed by it. Thus, not one for the kids. Overall, one of the best, most enthralling worlds Ive ever been immersed into. Not everyones cup of tea but, in my mind at least, the most enjoyable game Ive ever played. I hesitate to give away my 10/10 score, yet, it really does not get much better than this. Expand
  21. Apr 17, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is GOTY 2011 for me. Incredible graphics, dynamic storyline with different outcomes depending on your choices, diverse gameplay and great replayablity. Also, CD Projekt RED offers fantastic support.
  22. Apr 26, 2012
    amazing story, awesome graphics and developers are not scared to show some nudity! It is a very mature game with a lot of potential. everything was made with love...Bravo devs...
  23. Mar 30, 2012
    As a reader of the books and after multiple playthroughs of the first part I can safely say, that CD projekt is godlike! this is the most impressing world I have experienced yet, it deserves to be placed at the side of Lotr. And unlike the movie, the game manages to adapt the spirit of this world and the main character from the books into an awesome game. I will definitely play it againAs a reader of the books and after multiple playthroughs of the first part I can safely say, that CD projekt is godlike! this is the most impressing world I have experienced yet, it deserves to be placed at the side of Lotr. And unlike the movie, the game manages to adapt the spirit of this world and the main character from the books into an awesome game. I will definitely play it again and again to discover new things around the beautiful, terrifying, astonishing witcher series. This piece of art has left a mark in my life and I would recommend anyone to play the game and every Polish, German or Russian speaking human being to read this masterwork of a book series.
    Now regarding the combat mechanics: It is challenging, fast-paced, fun and fits in the world. Anyone stating something different hasn't really got into it or should play other kinds of games.
    The interface is well-thought-out and fine to handle. The only flaw is the short third chapter but this will apparently be fixed by 17th of April when the next huge patch is arriving.
  24. Apr 17, 2012
    Truly fantastic game. It's a shame that some people are so unfair to post "0" without any serious reason. The Witcher 2 is a feast for the eyes and for the brain. Fights are more difficult than in the first part, for the first time in ages I had to think before the battle what strategy to use. Brilliant! Everyone who don't like to fight can use "easy" and feel the wonderful world of theTruly fantastic game. It's a shame that some people are so unfair to post "0" without any serious reason. The Witcher 2 is a feast for the eyes and for the brain. Fights are more difficult than in the first part, for the first time in ages I had to think before the battle what strategy to use. Brilliant! Everyone who don't like to fight can use "easy" and feel the wonderful world of the Witcher. Buy it it's worth it. Expand
  25. Apr 26, 2012
    Yeah this game was really great but now with enhanced edition is 100% better than was ! Must have for sure for every rpg fan ! SO do not wait and go buy it :)
  26. Apr 18, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is the best sequel I have seen in a very long time. The story is phenomenal, the game play can be set to be extremely challenging or to be more of a story telling situation. The side quests involved with the game are meant to be more investigative rather that go here, collect this or go there, kill that. Although, there are some quests that do involve simple killing, it isThe Witcher 2 is the best sequel I have seen in a very long time. The story is phenomenal, the game play can be set to be extremely challenging or to be more of a story telling situation. The side quests involved with the game are meant to be more investigative rather that go here, collect this or go there, kill that. Although, there are some quests that do involve simple killing, it is in line with the work of Geralt. Above all I love that this game has stepped away from good or bad decisions, but really relies on shades of grey choices. There is no good, no bad, but only choices that shall affect the story that you chose for Geralt. That alone makes this by far one of the best games I have ever played. Expand
  27. Apr 24, 2012
    I have given The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings:
    A technical score of 85/100
    A personal score of 10/10

Fore more details and the full reviews, please go to the following link
  28. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome game it has every thing I hoped for, I really loved to play ioverth's path off course roche's path was also good but the characters and the epic story in ioverth's path blows out the kadweni champ and roche himself , Graphics of the game are outstanding and gorgeous, This game is highly recommended for serious gamers causal gamers might find the game a bit hard but its epic you will know once you start playing. Merits : Absolutely epic story , Graphics ,Characters, dialogs.(Almost everything in the game). Cons : Traps were bit boring and were not that friendly but bombs were great, The interface of the game could be made better (Save system's and Inventory management) . -All the dlc's (Including the EE patch) with extra quests and extra items were absolutely free and the developer seems to show a great respect for the fans and customers. Well its really great for us customers. Overall : A must buy for serious gamers. Expand
  29. Jun 1, 2012
    Definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Amazing story, compelling characters, incredible graphics and great battle mechanics. Congratulations CD Project RED - You've done great job making most immersing RPG ever.
  30. May 17, 2011
    Damn, i hate to say it, but CDR made a better game than i was able to with DA2. Witcher 2 is so much more immersive than any RPG of the last 5+ years. I hated DAO, hence DA2.. Anyway. The atmosphere, the character interactions, the "love scenes," and the combat are masterfully as well as artistically done. Much better than anything i've been able to do between DA2 and Jade Empire.
  31. May 21, 2011
    This game takes the crown of the RPG genre for being the best RPG released in the last 10 years of gaming. The Witcher 2 assassinates all of its genre-rivals with ease.

I finished this game after 30 hours of gameplay and never had a dull moment, never needed to grind and always was on important and eventful quests full of plot twists and surprises. If you are a fan of western RPGs you need to buy this. This is how you do a sequel !
  32. May 21, 2011
    With Portal 2 this year I was pretty sure that I wouldn't have to think about which game is the best ever made...but then came the Witcher 2.
    I was really sceptic because Dragon Age 2 was so bad that I lost my interest in RPG's but I tried the Witcher 2 and it blew me away.
    The characters are all interesting and or funny, the graphic and interface is genius, the combat is very challenging but still fun and the story makes you play without a break as you want to know what will happen. A perfect 10.0
    ALL quests are interesting and fun no matter how small, a masterpiece.
  33. May 17, 2011
    This game is great, I was looking forward to great RPGs this year and 2/3 times I got very disappointing (DA2 sucking, ME3 being delayed to 2012 probably) but wow was in a treat for the 3rd one... very very happy with this game so far the only thing that I sorhta had an issue with was the DX9 only engine but it looks very nice regardless. This game has all the true PC RPG elements at itsThis game is great, I was looking forward to great RPGs this year and 2/3 times I got very disappointing (DA2 sucking, ME3 being delayed to 2012 probably) but wow was in a treat for the 3rd one... very very happy with this game so far the only thing that I sorhta had an issue with was the DX9 only engine but it looks very nice regardless. This game has all the true PC RPG elements at its core (unlike other RPG games that have come out recently) and I think other developers should learn a thing or two from these guys *wink* *wink* bioware.

10/10 in my book.
  34. May 17, 2011
    The best cRPG i have ever played!! Beautiful graphic, epic history, perfect sound. In my opinion the best game of 2011. There is nothing more to say.
  35. May 24, 2011
    It is really hard to describe such a masterpiece in just few sentences. It's not just a game. It is a sparkling diamond, a big shiny beacon of hope for those who thought they shall never play a true RPG game again. Wither 2 has enormous background. From the beginning we meet numerous of creatures who aren't just characters. They are alive human and non-human beings with their feelings,It is really hard to describe such a masterpiece in just few sentences. It's not just a game. It is a sparkling diamond, a big shiny beacon of hope for those who thought they shall never play a true RPG game again. Wither 2 has enormous background. From the beginning we meet numerous of creatures who aren't just characters. They are alive human and non-human beings with their feelings, thoughts etc. and they just live their lives and player feels that out there is a big living world not just a bunch of persons whose only goal is to help our main character. The graphic system - oblivious. The battle system- tough, hard, demanding and requires a tactic and logic. It's nearly perfect! The plot - a masterpiece thanks to A. Sapkowski and his stunning novels. The game is a truly a Game of the Year and one of the best RPG ever. (amongst the Fallout, BG 2, Planescape). Expand
  36. May 18, 2011
    I signed up, just to counteract those insane low scores. This is an incredible game, you can see so much love poured in, from the npc's who live out their lives, to the buildings that have very detailed interiors. It seems as if the first city was literally cobbled together with a hammer and chisel. The combat is a little tough until you get used to using your brain (other RPG's make youI signed up, just to counteract those insane low scores. This is an incredible game, you can see so much love poured in, from the npc's who live out their lives, to the buildings that have very detailed interiors. It seems as if the first city was literally cobbled together with a hammer and chisel. The combat is a little tough until you get used to using your brain (other RPG's make you click so was not used to it). Interactions with other npcs is great, you can craft weapons Armour and make potions, all of which can help or hinder you. There are consequences to drinking to much potions do to toxicity, plus every potion has pros and cons eg cats potion which lets you see in the dark does not help you see in the light. Everything in the game can be enhanced which is a must when versing some foes. There is so much more to talk about, like all the free dlc thats coming, to the amazing box you get with lots of goodies at a normal price great side quests no fetching missions. Don't believe those 0/10 scores, I don't know why anyone would give this game a score like that, the only thing those people are doing is just making others sign up to give it a good score. Go buy the game, btw I can run most options on high except textures which are at the maximum, yet I only have an 8800GTX. Expand
  37. May 19, 2011
    Single greatest RPG I have played since the isometric days, every aspect of this game has depth and nothing feels tacked on. Put simply it raises the bar on what to expect from a AAA RPG, a masterpiece that will be a serious contender for GOTY in the same year that saw Portal 2, L.A. Noire and Elder Scrolls V and that says a lot! Pros:
    -Depth of story telling and character that we haven't
    -Depth of story telling and character that we haven't seen since the isometric RPG days, Fallout 1 & 2 and the like. -Stunning graphics and voice acting.
    -Fluent and incredibly versatile combat, you can rely on traps and spells or swordsmanship or any combination in between. - No fluff quests, even the side quests have meaning and story. - Gritty, mature and well placed humor. Cons:
    Inventory management could use some revision, but it's a minor problem at most.
  38. May 20, 2011
    Combat. Those who complain about the combat. Well... It is different, difficult because Geralt is different . You understand - He is a witcher! You need to learn how to play.

Fighting that is not automated. You must thinking! The combat makes more sense where you can make use of your parrying and dodge functions. The controls are responsive, and the player needs to use all his

Fighting that is not automated. You must thinking!
    The controls are responsive, and the player needs to use all his abilities to survive,thats true, this is not a hack-and-slash, thank goodness.
    If You like it - The Witcher is for You!

Bugs. Oh, of course there are, but will be patches i free DLC. Not worth complaining about!

Beautiful graphics, story, and the rest... it;s amazing game.
    Thie game is extremely emotional and exciting. Like a film.
    I am pleased that as a child.A unique atmosphere, a real, realistic, logical.Marvel

Only one true drawback - too short :) for me.

But I'll play it again and again and again ... :) Oh yes!
    And...I have a feeling.... to be continued. Ther Witcher 3? :)

Sorry for my lame english. I am from Lithuania. Thank,s CD RED.
  39. May 20, 2011
    Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, but this game is a true masterpiece. CDPR, you have absolutely awed me with the level of quality you have put into this title. I can't wait to see what the future holds for such an awesome corporation!
  40. May 21, 2011
    Best RPG I've played in a LONG time. The story is great, and this is real Dark Fantasy. The graphics are flawless, but what the game really excels at is the living world it places you in. Every part of the forest, cities, caves are alive, the cities especially. The is incredibly scored, the mix of different music styles is great. The combat system takes some getting used to, startingBest RPG I've played in a LONG time. The story is great, and this is real Dark Fantasy. The graphics are flawless, but what the game really excels at is the living world it places you in. Every part of the forest, cities, caves are alive, the cities especially. The is incredibly scored, the mix of different music styles is great. The combat system takes some getting used to, starting out it can be unforgiving at times even on normal. You can't just hack n slash, but once you learn to use your spells and attacks in tandem it's very fun. There are a few bugs, as there are with any games, but you hardly notice or mind them because the game is that good. CDPR just raised the bar as far as RPGs go. Hopefully others will take the challenge and we'll see a string or great RPGs in the future. Expand
  41. May 31, 2011
    Best RPG of the last years. Incredible graphics, deep systems and gameplay. No handholding for noobs and Bioware fans. A must buy in thetruest sense of the world. Support great indie devs.
  42. May 21, 2011
    I have to drag myself away from it to get some sleep at night. It's just so damn good. Maybe I've just forgot what an RPG with decent dev time was like, but I just can't remember the last time I was so hooked.
    Worth every cent.
  43. May 20, 2011
    I've got to give this game the highest marks. Aside from a few technical bugs at the beginning (that I was able to fix and were the fault of my computer) and a (to me) awkward control scheme (that can be edited), I've had no complaints. This game truly presents an immense number of options and pathways for the player to take. Absolutely recommend!
  44. May 18, 2011
    Ignore the scores you see on metacritic giving 0 theye are from competing games employees and in no way are sincere or reflect this awesome game!...am not going to say much other than this game is the best RPG i have ever played its so polished and immersive its hard to spot the odd flaw or blemish....This game msut surely raise the bar for others to follow...all games should be likeIgnore the scores you see on metacritic giving 0 theye are from competing games employees and in no way are sincere or reflect this awesome game!...am not going to say much other than this game is the best RPG i have ever played its so polished and immersive its hard to spot the odd flaw or blemish....This game msut surely raise the bar for others to follow...all games should be like this...well done to the polish team who developed it and shame on those sad people abusing metacritics user ratings system to try to downgrade this in favour of their own companies games..

I see one previously confirmed BioWare employee gave Dragon Age Origins 2 a 10/10...yet he gives this game 0..... It is a shame to see this happen.....MAKE NO MISTAKE FOLKS THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!!!...
  45. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 kicked every other RPG's butt so hard they broke the time space continuum and disappeared into another universe, the trashbin universe. I had trouble with the combat at first, but I just failed. Got everything under control now. Everything about this game is great.
  46. May 19, 2011
    A truly amazing game. Unlike some other RPGs that hold your hand throughout and have terrible acting and writing (Dragon Age 2 I'm looking at you) this game actually feels like an RPG should. Your actions effect the game, your previous actions aren't retcon'd, and the game has a wonderful sense of freedom to it. If you're looking for an awesome modern RPG look no further.
  47. Jun 1, 2011
    Follow up review. After having played through the entire game twice (and going back for a third), I feel this is the best game I've played so far this year and well into last year. Graphics are terrific with an amazing amount of detail. Gameplay is easy to learn, hard to master. Cut-scenes are well-placed and non-intrusive. The story is intreguing and, best of all, it doesn't holdFollow up review. After having played through the entire game twice (and going back for a third), I feel this is the best game I've played so far this year and well into last year. Graphics are terrific with an amazing amount of detail. Gameplay is easy to learn, hard to master. Cut-scenes are well-placed and non-intrusive. The story is intreguing and, best of all, it doesn't hold your hand like you're a mentally-challanged 10 year-old. This is truly what PC gaming is all about, brought to the next level. Has similarities to DA2, but beats the pants off of it in all respects. For those publications that rated this lower than a 9 (and lower than other inferior big-name games), any reasonably intelligent reader knows whose hands are dirty here. Expand
  48. May 17, 2011
    This is the best game I've ever played. Non linear story-line, very diversified and smart quests, fantastic graphics, and amazing dialogs, the combat system is great... This game is simply PERFECT!!!!
  49. May 18, 2011
    I haven't finished the game yet but I can already tell that this is one if the most engaging games I've played in a long time. Last time I couldn't stop playing even though my eyes hurt like hell was when Black Ops or Halo:Reach came out. I have to admit that I was a bit lost in combat when I started playing but I quickly realised that I have to try harder like in Demon's Souls orI haven't finished the game yet but I can already tell that this is one if the most engaging games I've played in a long time. Last time I couldn't stop playing even though my eyes hurt like hell was when Black Ops or Halo:Reach came out. I have to admit that I was a bit lost in combat when I started playing but I quickly realised that I have to try harder like in Demon's Souls or Castlevania (on hard) not just mash a button. I like that some developers finally realize that we like challenges nit just running through the game smoothly. On top off that the graphics are so beautiful and full of detail that I enjoy sightseeing in TW2 :))) before I take up a quest. Expand
  50. May 24, 2011
    pretty goddamn cool man. WHAT DOES HE HAVE TWO SWORDS FOR? DOES HE TEND TO LOSE THEM?

SO I SAID, IM TAKING YOUR PURSE, OR, YOUR PURSE AND YOUR LIFE.
  51. May 31, 2011
    Game is really awesome. Its like a next book, and i hope to see Yeniffer in the next chapter :) Double 2nd chapter is something i never see before in games like this, shokin' and great. This is just a deadly blow for BiowarEA where money comes first, and users 10th at least
  52. May 17, 2011
    Best game, best world, best epic hero and best combat system forever, this is The Witcher 2 ! Definitely Game of the Year 2011 in RPG and Best Game category!
  53. May 22, 2011
    Great game, improves on his predecessor and by far the best rpg released in years.
    AI should be improved and also combat variety.

Please buy it on gog.com and support cdproject.
  54. May 18, 2011
    this is the best game i have played ever this is how an RPG should be made this is defiantly the GOTY for me everything about this game is quality the graphics are stunning the game play is brilliant and the RPG elements are amazing.
  55. Jun 18, 2011
    Awesome Game. Very Well created. I just wish Act 3 would have been longer.The Action scenes are very intense. The environment is extensive allowing you to explore a lot.
  56. May 17, 2011
    I have been playing this game for 3 hours now and all i can say is, get this game it is a masterpiece. The combat first is hard to get by, especially if you jump directly into the hardest tutorial mission (the tutorial is part of the game and non linear) but after a while you will get a hang of it. This game really feels like the developers went their way instead of doing market researchI have been playing this game for 3 hours now and all i can say is, get this game it is a masterpiece. The combat first is hard to get by, especially if you jump directly into the hardest tutorial mission (the tutorial is part of the game and non linear) but after a while you will get a hang of it. This game really feels like the developers went their way instead of doing market research on how to appeal the masses, they simply did their game and it shows off. What we have here is a masterpiece on every angle. Those who complain about bugs, after three hours of gameplay, I have had not a single one.
    All I can say is this game deserves a 10.
    Sorry to say that but if you design a game by focus groups you lose if you design a game with the heart you win. Best RPG since Planetscape Torment - period.
  57. Jun 5, 2011
    It took me a while to get into this game but I must admit I am loving it. I think part of the problem was I never played the original Witcher. The graphics are nice and it runs real smooth, even on my older machine which needs the settings turned to low.

Definately worth the money, it is pretty much what I have been looking for since being gutted by the worthless Dragon Age 2. The quests are interesting, there is so much depth with characters, items and the world. The work that went into this game is amazing.

Definately a RPG I will get many hours of fun from. I recommend. 9/10.
  58. May 18, 2011
    Im 3 hours in the game and its stunning from graphics to everything else. Its worth every penny and even more. I feel sorry for DA2 fans who cant stand watching how "Real" RPG beats the crap out of "over-hyped" Bioware company name and their DA2 title.

You can live on past glory, cuz some1 else will come and do it properly. Go Go CD Projekt Red show them how to make RPG.

Witcher is my name!
  59. May 24, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an amazing RPG. It's certainly been a while since I couldn't put a game down! I definitely recommend this game to all mature RPG fans.
  60. May 17, 2011
    Nice graphics, nice fight system, awesome story... Code's optimalization is sux, but Im addicted to The Witcher (WICHA! xD) 2, by the way its a polish game, im the patriot and my score is 10! xD Hail to the king, baby :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) 10.0
  61. May 18, 2011
    Witcher 2 has continued to grow on me, and no, I'm REALLY not advancing the plotline. Just pacing though the original semi-open area, exploring every nook and cranny. Some people might call this a 30 hour game. At the rate I am playing 80. This is like bioshock was years ago, I just adore every single inch and feel incredibly at home. This is incalculably better than anything else I haveWitcher 2 has continued to grow on me, and no, I'm REALLY not advancing the plotline. Just pacing though the original semi-open area, exploring every nook and cranny. Some people might call this a 30 hour game. At the rate I am playing 80. This is like bioshock was years ago, I just adore every single inch and feel incredibly at home. This is incalculably better than anything else I have played for YEARS. The soundtrack is hauntingly flawless, the graphics are simply the best ever conceived (yes, better than crysis 1 on highest) and the combat system is deep and hard-as-nails. The games main downer is that it has to end. I don't want it to end!! If portal 2 was the ingenious of this year, this would be the class. 100% golden plated class. Expand
  62. May 28, 2011
    Simply an amazing title. Best story and graphics I have ever seen. GOTY 2011 hands down. Bioware might put some money in the market to make it not happen, but the people will know who the real winner is.
  63. May 23, 2011
    As a huge crpg fan i must say this is the best game I played in years. First things first: finally mature game, meant for adults to play and enjoy it, so there are no fairy-tales victories that make everyone happy, no clearly defined good or evil, instead, there are some serious moral dilemmas and real human emotions, not polished cartoonish crap publishers seem to favor nowadays. In fact,As a huge crpg fan i must say this is the best game I played in years. First things first: finally mature game, meant for adults to play and enjoy it, so there are no fairy-tales victories that make everyone happy, no clearly defined good or evil, instead, there are some serious moral dilemmas and real human emotions, not polished cartoonish crap publishers seem to favor nowadays. In fact, the only recent game that gets somewhat close to Witcher2 in this respect must be New Vegas; but it is not as good still (IMHO). Witcher2 is true dark fantasy, very enjoyable and immersive, and the story matches the mood perfectly. Quests are rather detailed, they fit the world perfectly and are meant to enhance your gameplay, not to stretch the game for another 40 minutes while you search for some stupid collectibles.

Second, this is stunningly beautiful game. The forests are magnificent, the cities are realistic almost to the point where you can feel the scents. Facial animation is not very advanced, but VO just makes up for that.

Third, combat and QTEs are very engaging and fun. Even arm-wrestling! Sword-fights are especially good - damn hard, fast-paced, and extremely fun. It takes some time to adjust to controls at first and if you're used to point-and-click type of gameplay you're going to be dying a LOT. It never seemed to slow me down, though - once you get the grip of the basics, battles are never tiresome, never boring, always somewhat different from your previous attempts and other battles, so you will NEVER find yourself redoing the same routine again.

4-th: the music is good. The martial sequence makes me want to take the sword in my own hands.

In all truthfulness, there are some minor issues - for example, when Geralt runs and turns, the animation switches way too sharply, it is not exactly smooth. Not every quest marker is placed accurately, but then again, the old games we all love had no quest markers at all.

Performance-wise I had no problems with the game so far (GOG.com version). The only thing I had to turn off was ubersampling, but then - I don't have the latest graphic card, and my i7 CPU is only 2.6 MHz

Less biased person would probably give this game score of 9, but me - I'm just love the world and am willing to overlook some minor issues.
  64. Jun 15, 2011
    What praise can I give this game that hasn't been given before? Well, let's just say that I bought and played TW1 just to be able to get into the story of this sequel, and it was well worth it!

Keep it up, CDPR! I look forward to more great stuff by you guys.
  65. May 26, 2011
    Unlike nearly all fantasy RPG's, this one actually has depth to it's story, depth that i have yet to see in ANY other RPG, why? First of all, it manages to recreate a truely authentic feeling medieval game world, where the land is governed not by your own status as a "hero", but by the kings that rule over them, and your merely just a warrior trying to help along with many others. Not toUnlike nearly all fantasy RPG's, this one actually has depth to it's story, depth that i have yet to see in ANY other RPG, why? First of all, it manages to recreate a truely authentic feeling medieval game world, where the land is governed not by your own status as a "hero", but by the kings that rule over them, and your merely just a warrior trying to help along with many others. Not to mention it doesn't carry the fanciful "kiddy" aspects of rpg's such as cut elvish women dual wielding blades while wearing armor that covers less then a quarter of their body, this game takes itself very seriously while also squeezing in some small moments of comedy which helps to diversify the atmosphere and create even more depth. The combat has been majorly upgraded as well, the magic system has been improved so it flows far more fluidly with more intuitive controls allowing for easier and quicker use. Sword-play has been polished and is now smoother then in the original game, allowing for easier encounters with enemies. If you think this game is hard, your not a gamer, simple as that, you may think it's punishing, but there are far more punishing games then this, this game requires a tactically sound mind and quick thinking. Dialogue and NPC character animation are superb, you can see the heart put into each simple little movement such as walking or drinking, each animation finely done to feel realistic and human, with characters speaking in ways which suit them and don't spout over-pretentious monologues which get boring and slow down the gameplay AND the story. (im looking at you Assassins Creed and Metal Gear Solid) I look forward to much more coming from this great polish developer, as they definitely have seemed to of learned from their mistakes in the past. Their future continues to look bright. Expand
  66. May 18, 2011
    Witcher 2 is probabyl the best RPG for any newcomer to this genre for being a game that challenges you as an adult. As an action/adventure player, my first foray into RPGs has been the mass effect series which I liked. I did play the witcher 1 but quickly got overrun by the excruciating details and frankly uninteresting standard stat based RPG combat. Same to do with mass effect 1. ME2 gotWitcher 2 is probabyl the best RPG for any newcomer to this genre for being a game that challenges you as an adult. As an action/adventure player, my first foray into RPGs has been the mass effect series which I liked. I did play the witcher 1 but quickly got overrun by the excruciating details and frankly uninteresting standard stat based RPG combat. Same to do with mass effect 1. ME2 got it right with nice action elements. With that, I went into DA2 without prior playing of DA1. But DA2 felt very tedious and just got boring. I finished the game, but wasn't too satisfied with the presentation and mechanics. It felt like a standard RPG. Witcher 2 on the other hand is unique. Never have I been challenged soo much in combat being a veteran action/adventure gamer (DMC3/4, GOW123, Darksiders..player). The combat is intense...satisfying. The graphics are if I may say, the BEST in this generation. The art direction is fantastic and the game reeks of polish.
    CDProject have outdone themselves and set a new bar for action RPGs. I only hope that the game reaches its full potential and rewards them with adequate sales and recognition. Congratulations CDprojekt for a spectacular masterpiece.

BTW...shame on you bioware for bashing CDprojekt.
  67. May 18, 2011
    masterpiece of a game. deep mature storyline, fantastic combat and incredible graphics. its a must buy for pc gamers. i cant stand that all of these people are trolling this game with low scores. its ridiculous.
  68. May 18, 2011
    Amazing game, not a thing to criticise yet. Totally caught me off-guard and improved basically ALL the negative points I found while playing the first installment.

Without a doubt, CD Projekt LEARNED a lot since the first game and watched what people have been saying about other RPGs these past years. The Witcher 2 really knows how to impress!
  69. May 18, 2011
    ED Studio takes the best of the achievements of BioWare and Obsidian Entertainment, introducing a ton of their ideas and outstanding artistic setting. The Witcher 2 impresses on so many levels that it is hard to clearly identify its strongest point.
  70. May 18, 2011
    A masterpiece of RPG genre. CD Projekt delivered everything they promised and more, one of the best RPG's i have played in recent years. Definitely a game of the year 2011 candidate.

Shame the score is being destroyed by some idiots.
  71. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Definitely the best game I've ever played, the game surefire candidate for 2011. A significant jump up after and so perfect a part of this game will be remembered for a very long Expand
  72. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is what RPGs and PC gaming are all about, this game is a must have for everyone and Iâ
  73. May 17, 2011
    Amazing game.From the graphics to the combat their have been innumerable improvements from the first. Customization of the character may pass on changing race sex and face but it has a deep and well structured skills/abilities and mutagen system that provides real choice and differences in game play. The icing on the cake is the story and especially characters. CDproject RED deservesAmazing game.From the graphics to the combat their have been innumerable improvements from the first. Customization of the character may pass on changing race sex and face but it has a deep and well structured skills/abilities and mutagen system that provides real choice and differences in game play. The icing on the cake is the story and especially characters. CDproject RED deserves many awards for this game. The graphical settings allow for use on a wide range of systems. While the norm seems to be max everything and complain the options given here allow even slower systems to run the game and look very good in my opinion, while higher settings allow for some of the best visuals Ive have seen. It has taken a long time for crysis to be matched this games to me at least does just that is not surpassing it.

Bugs at launch yes a few but all fixable (for me anyway),There are a few quest bugs but nothing major. There were some graphical bugs related to both nvidia and ati rather than the game, Nvidia had new drivers out on launch day and ati hot fix regularly.

A great experience
  74. May 17, 2011
    Amazing game!!. Work that has been done by CD Projekt to give such great entertainment deserves 10. I'm just wondering why there are almost only "10" and just few "0" and nothing between?
  75. May 17, 2011
    I have actually been enjoying this game so much that I felt compelled to make a metacritic account to express just how GOOD this game is. It is so obvious that this game was developed by a team that actually cares about it's story, it's settings and most importantly it's characters. This is a game built with love and it really makes this game special. I have been playing games for a longI have actually been enjoying this game so much that I felt compelled to make a metacritic account to express just how GOOD this game is. It is so obvious that this game was developed by a team that actually cares about it's story, it's settings and most importantly it's characters. This is a game built with love and it really makes this game special. I have been playing games for a long time but this is certainly one of the best games I have ever played. If you have the proper rig ( hell go buy a good one just for this game) you must play this game. You will be doing yourself, fellow gamers and independent developers a huge favor. Trust me. Go get it. Expand
  76. May 17, 2011
    bioware fanboys made me register at metacritic and write this review. first of all if you havent bought this game yet then you are depriving yourself of not just one of the greatest rpg but one of the greatest game of the decade Every single thing that you want to know is evident in every single positive user review. even though i have only completed almost 10 hours of the game, but theybioware fanboys made me register at metacritic and write this review. first of all if you havent bought this game yet then you are depriving yourself of not just one of the greatest rpg but one of the greatest game of the decade Every single thing that you want to know is evident in every single positive user review. even though i have only completed almost 10 hours of the game, but they say that the First impression is the last impression. its an amazing game a must buy! Expand
  77. May 17, 2011
    Witcher 2 is an amazing game in all aspects. Beautiful graphics and landmarks.......enjoyable quests, no load screens and above all they've improved the combat system that some people were complaining about in the first game(although i liked the combat system).
  78. May 17, 2011
    A crowning achievement in both development and distribution. Environments are richly colorful as they are beautiful. Combat mechanics are as simply devised as they are complexly augmentative. CD Projekt has certainly outdone themselves in every respect. With this stunning title and sister outfit, GOG.com, the Polish company has cemented themselves in the spotlight and hearts of both modernA crowning achievement in both development and distribution. Environments are richly colorful as they are beautiful. Combat mechanics are as simply devised as they are complexly augmentative. CD Projekt has certainly outdone themselves in every respect. With this stunning title and sister outfit, GOG.com, the Polish company has cemented themselves in the spotlight and hearts of both modern and classic PC gamers alike. Keep an eye closely on them as they understand their demographic more than any developer today (save only Valve). Expand
  79. May 17, 2011
    Let's be honest. Are you looking for one of the best true cRPGs in history? You want absorbing fights with high level of difficulty? Then don't look anymore because The Witcher 2 is here. There's no way you're gonna find anything as good as this at this moment. Forget about useless c**ps from bioware- they already proved with DE2 that they have already forgotten what a true cRPG is.
  80. May 18, 2011
    This game is a beautiful and atmospheric realisation of Low Fantasy that can't be found in other developer's games. The characters are not idealised, they're like real people with all the complexities and motivations that real people have.
  81. May 18, 2011
    Please, check reviews i_hate_poland & Bioware (lol). Gentelmen for BioWare dontt like to lose. The witcher 2 it's probably GOTY 2011. And this is a first game with free DLC :P Michasacuer
  82. May 18, 2011
    Brilliant, enough for me to sign up and leave a review. I've just made it passed the prologue, and am very very impressed. Key points for me are:
    - Graphics are subtly but firmly better than the current generation of rpg's.
    - Everything about the game feels really well produced. - The collectors edition is such a good show to the player base, they've thrown in everything and the kitchen
    - Graphics are subtly but firmly better than the current generation of rpg's.
    - Everything about the game feels really well produced.
    - The collectors edition is such a good show to the player base, they've thrown in everything and the kitchen sink. Great gesture of thanks/reward for supporting the game.

Given that they're a pc developer, and the crap that's come out of bioware recently, awesome stuff, we need more like this game.

What i really wanted to say is this.. being a pc gamer.. the thing that really strikes me about the witcher so far is.. graphically.. its ALMOST the Crysis 2 we should have got. The lighting effects and the amount and quality of the details in the environment have an uncanny resemblance to the original crysis, in terms of the graphical calibre.

I had a blast tweaking the game and seeing Geralt getting hit in the gut a few dozen times while working out the best configs.. The fact that the game didn't disappoint after this is the reason for the 10. The soundtrack is enjoyable to listen to also..
  83. May 18, 2011
    The best, complexed, and nonlinear story in cRPG since the long time. I might even say, since good old cRPG times (Baldur´s Gate, Torment, etc). Definately a game of the year. Or, perhaps, even years.
  84. Ex_
    May 19, 2011
    Revised rating. Pros of the game: improved combat system that's fast paced, forces player to pay attention to enemies, doesn't spoon feed you; mistakes are also felt in the game (you die on a boss fight, you start the boss fight over again, not from a check point and there aren't frequent autosaves although some may see this as a con); engaging story and graphics; decent use of quicktime;Revised rating. Pros of the game: improved combat system that's fast paced, forces player to pay attention to enemies, doesn't spoon feed you; mistakes are also felt in the game (you die on a boss fight, you start the boss fight over again, not from a check point and there aren't frequent autosaves although some may see this as a con); engaging story and graphics; decent use of quicktime; supports the 360 gamepad with control mapping and UI. Cons of the game: has a somewhat steep learning curve that may be off-putting to impatient players; menu loading can take longer than normal a lot of the time; uses a configuration utility instead of allowing detail changes within the game; ONLY supports the 360 controller. All in all, a good game. P.S. most of the negative reviews are from people who never played the game, are Bioware fanboys, or just didn't take the time to play more than the intro quest before getting their ass kicked, discovered that the game requires skill and not mindless hacking slashing, quitting and refunding. Expand
  85. May 18, 2011
    Excellent!
    Much better than Arcania or DA2, it's not only true, pure RPG, this is great hope for this genre! Epic story, realistic combat, funny e-eggs, interesting world, charismatic hero ...and is so beautiful!
    Game of the Year, and the best RPG since Planescape!
  86. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sensational game. CD Projekt will be rubbing shoulders with Blizzard and Valve soon if they keep up this quality. The attention to detail throughout is on a new level, you can't help but stop and gaze through a markets goods or simply watch villagers as they go about their day-to-day business. The story so far is enthralling and the character design is Blizzard standard. Expand
  87. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have waited a long time for this game, and my expectations were very high. And now after playing Witcher 2, I can say that I'm satisfied with every aspect of this game. The Witcher 2 should become an example for other developers, what RPG game should be. In one word, it is masterpiece. I haven't doubt that Witcher 2 will be the game of the Year 2011. Expand
  88. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a really complete RPG with loads of different elements that ensures that you get involved both with Geralt and the world of the Witcher 2. The action is tight and it actually takes some skill to kill your opponents. You may not be a juggernaut, but you can be sure that you have to the tools to kick ass. Six guards with attitude comes to kick your ass? Use the shield spellThe Witcher 2 is a really complete RPG with loads of different elements that ensures that you get involved both with Geralt and the world of the Witcher 2. The action is tight and it actually takes some skill to kill your opponents. You may not be a juggernaut, but you can be sure that you have to the tools to kick ass. Six guards with attitude comes to kick your ass? Use the shield spell and mind control one of them to do your dirty work and BAM, the odds are now in your favor.

Over all the Witcher 2 is a stunning looking, great playing and amazingly sounding game. Check it out or you'll be sorry.
  89. May 18, 2011
    Witcher is an icon of polish fantasy/science fiction. Thanks to
    CD-PROJECT we have a chance to experience it at our computer screens. So
    far, the best Polish game and one of the top around the globe. I could tell you that "Witcher 2" gives you wonderful experiences and sensations, bla, bla.. but I think that any of this words cannot explain it. The only way to understand what I am trying
    Witcher is an icon of polish fantasy/science fiction. Thanks to
    far, the best Polish game and one of the top around the globe. I could
    tell you that "Witcher 2" gives you wonderful experiences and
    sensations, bla, bla.. but I think that any of this words cannot explain
    it. The only way to understand what I am trying to say is to take a part
    in this amazing adventure. Its a graphic masterpiece - you cant missed it.
  90. May 18, 2011
    A real breath of fresh air in a market of dumbed down , sorry "streamlined" franchises, The Witcher 2 gives a fine example of an immersive, challenging, strategic and above all fun game with a real break from the linearity of it's counterparts.
  91. May 18, 2011
    One of the best RPGs to date. It's actually rather sad that a game as superb as this one has the unfortunate honour of being the subject of trolls who write bogus reviews in an attempt to advertise another game that performed poorly in its user rating (and rightly so).

Anyway, this game has it all. The dialogue, the characters, the graphics (superb!) and the gameplay have clearly been refined to the point of near perfection. The attention to detail that the developers have invested in this game is truly astounding. The backdrops are vibrant and really rather incredible, making the game an absolute pleasure to play. If your desire to buy RPGs has been crushed by the very game mentioned by the 0-rating trolls, fear not; there's no copied and pasted environments in this game. This is what a RPG should be and other developers should be taking note. Overall, I would give this game a 9.8/10 but Metacritic doesn't allow for decimal points in their review system and I feel 9/10 is too low for a game of this quality, so I'm rounding up. 10/10.
  92. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Witcher is an icon of polish fantasy/science fiction. Thanks to
    far, the best Polish game and one of the top around the globe. I could
    tell you that "Witcher 2" gives you wonderful experiences and
    sensations, bla, bla.. but I think that any of this words cannot explain
    it. The only way to understand what I am trying to say is to take a part
    in this amazing adventure. Its a graphic masterpiece - you cant missed it.
  93. May 18, 2011
    This game is a clear example of what a good PC game is. CD Projekt RED has done an awesome job with the story, graphics, and design of the game. The graphics engine, dubbed "RED Engine", allows you to customize a myriad of features ranging from screen space ambient occlusion to depth of field. Best of all, any future DLC for The Witcher 2 will be free (just as it should be for every PCThis game is a clear example of what a good PC game is. CD Projekt RED has done an awesome job with the story, graphics, and design of the game. The graphics engine, dubbed "RED Engine", allows you to customize a myriad of features ranging from screen space ambient occlusion to depth of field. Best of all, any future DLC for The Witcher 2 will be free (just as it should be for every PC game). If you're looking for a fresh, immersive, and complex RPG... then The Witcher 2 will keep you busy for hours. Expand
  94. May 18, 2011
    Well I'm just so stunned by the game, that I had to sign up and share. I believe it to be the first game since Baldurs Gate II that I just unconditionally love. I played the original Witcher and as a devoted Sapkowski's fun I liked it a lot, but was aware of and annoyed by its faults. With this game it's different. I know there are some (very few and minor) aspect that could be doneWell I'm just so stunned by the game, that I had to sign up and share. I believe it to be the first game since Baldurs Gate II that I just unconditionally love. I played the original Witcher and as a devoted Sapkowski's fun I liked it a lot, but was aware of and annoyed by its faults. With this game it's different. I know there are some (very few and minor) aspect that could be done better, but I just don't give a damn about them. This game is like a dog. A very nice dog that all the neighbors envy you. A pet, that will always have a special place in your heart even when it's long gone. As I said, for a decade I haven't felt like this about a game. I don't mind the lack of character customization, it never bothered me in RPGs. Back in the day of Baldur's Gate it was easy to do, no one required a game to have all the dialogs voice-acted. Now in games like the first DOA or KOTOR, it just pissed me of that almost all characters had voice and the one I'm supposed to feel the most bonded with is a fricking mute. I don't mind the difficult combat. It brings back memories of the great games of old, when you would load a save for a hundred times, mad with frustration, just to die again in what seemed to be an impossible challenge But in the end, you would win and feel pure pride and satisfaction.

I love the story, the looks and all the small and big improvements made by the Reds. I feel like if all the errors of the original Witcher had to be made to allow the second one to be the game it is. I love the developers approach, so uncommon these days, to just ignore all the weekend gamers and just focus on us, dedicated gamers, who see games as something more than just a way to kill time or release some steam after a tough day.

This game makes me proud to be Polish and right now I just don't care about all the things that Poland can't be proud about. You guys make us shine. I hope you continue creating games like this and remain a beacon for all gamers tired of developers treating games like a solely commercial product.
  95. May 18, 2011
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played and the only RPG I've played in recent years that has kept my attention from the beginning and held it. As for the combat, it is engaging and fun while maintaining a nice balance of strategy and action. On the "normal " game difficulty setting, the combat was just difficult enough to keep me challenged. The combination of magic / swordplay / traps &One of the best RPGs I've ever played and the only RPG I've played in recent years that has kept my attention from the beginning and held it. As for the combat, it is engaging and fun while maintaining a nice balance of strategy and action. On the "normal " game difficulty setting, the combat was just difficult enough to keep me challenged. The combination of magic / swordplay / traps & bombs is a lot of fun and gives you many options to use during the midst of combat.

As for the graphics, they are breathtaking. The attention to detail is bar none. The uniforms and patterns are incredibly detailed and well thought out. The environments feel so real and the dungeons give me a bit of a shiver with the perfectly reverberating sound and realistic atmospheric effects like fog / haze. There have been some complaints of graphical glitches, control bugs and other bugs... but I haven't experienced any bugs whatsoever. The load times are excellent on my mid-range rig and I'm able to run the graphics on "medium" and have perfectly smooth frame rates. I'm running an Intel Core-i7 870, 8 gigs of ram, ATI 5870 and Creative Soundblaster Fatility.

Thank you cdprojekt! THANK YOU!
  96. May 18, 2011
    For now I can only say - masterpiece...The game is so beautiful, so very well rounded. Dialogue - well written, very brilliant and sprightly, and immersive. Living world, interesting plot, all that atmosphere - great job. There are of course minor bugs, but I don't care ;) One of the best game I've ever played.
  97. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is the best-looking game ever! It kicks BioWare's ass in many aspects! First, of course, the graphics are amazing! Second, the decision we make in The Witcher 2 are way more serious and change much more than we experienced in Dragon Age 2. So think more than twice about what you are going to say/do! Third, I like the combat! It's not that easy-going combat from Dragon Age 2!The Witcher 2 is the best-looking game ever! It kicks BioWare's ass in many aspects! First, of course, the graphics are amazing! Second, the decision we make in The Witcher 2 are way more serious and change much more than we experienced in Dragon Age 2. So think more than twice about what you are going to say/do! Third, I like the combat! It's not that easy-going combat from Dragon Age 2! When we are facing many enemies at once it's not like: "So.. that's all you got?". We are no superhero. We experience how hard it is to fight so many opponents. We have to dodge them an hit 'em from behind. Plant traps and sometimes, we even need to step back for a moment. It's way more intense. Fourth, the story! It's a suspenceful story! I really like the turns in it and the long dialogues are the best I've seen so far. I really like RPGs that have not that stupid one-liner we all now!
    What's with that stupid female crap MarianHawke is writing about? Insulting? The female character aren't insulted in any way in this game! We have strong female characters, who are smart and are fully emancipated. So, play this game again and think about it. Thanks!
  98. May 18, 2011
    Amazing game, full of graphical splendor and deep storytelling. I really can't endorse this product enough, this will be an instant classic for any RPG fan.
    I also have to mention the savegame carry-over system. Save games change EVERYTHING based on what you did in the last game, a really satisfying experience for long-time fans.
  99. May 18, 2011
    Absolutely stunning game , there is no game that can compare to The Witcher 2.Coming as only 2nd from pretty fresh developer it is truly a miracle i can't wait what CDPR has prepared next for us.
    Gameplay is solid , tough it could use some improvement.Combat is definitely a huge improvement from TW1 it's both entertaining and challenging.Mini games are nothing impressive really , but those are nice addition to the game.
    Story is spectacular , can't say anything else without spoiling. Graphics , well i can say few things 1.It looks better than Crysis 2.It has best art style in any game to date IMO.Basically it is best looking game to date.Of course there is a difference between FPS and 3rd person game graphics , but Witcher 2 focuses more on small details than any game before (keeping in mind size of the locations).

I can honestly say , if you don't play it , you are missing out a gem of a decade.

1. Oct 21, 2011