8.4

1. May 19, 2011
    Combat/Difficulty = 10: This game is incredibly challenging. Many users will be put off by the lack of help or kindergarten button mashing. At any level above easy this game requires a combination of preparation, strategy, action style timing, and patience. There is a sense of discovery when figuring out how to take down a monster or well armored and shielded characters.

Gameplay =

Gameplay = 9.0: The various mini games are a riot. They offer a nice break from fighting and make me think of games like Ultima 7. This game is polished and relatively bug free. The only real knock against gameplay is the targeting system, while better than most, it can be hard to lock on to certain objects.

Story = 9.5: It isn't the epic feel, incredible polish, or voice acting that stand out here. It is the dark and brutal atmosphere in a world where you are both loved and hated that bring this game alive. Motivations aren't simply good or bad, they are neither. Characters are fleshed out, actually most are fantastic, but Geralt takes the cake. He is the quintessential tough guy. I want to be Geralt! Thank you Andrzej Sapkowski! DA:2 tried to play the middle ground, but at the end of the day everyone was just an evil one-dimensional punk...The Witcher 2 truly succeeds here.

Graphics = 9.5: The graphics are stunning, the environments are beautiful, the main characters are absolutely fantastic. I do take a little bit of fault with some of the character animations which is why I slipped this one to a 9.5. Other than that little bit, this is the best looking game I've seen in a RPG.

Sound = 10: The musical score in this game blows me away. I feel like I'm listening to Wing Commander 3 for the first time again. I sometimes just sit back in my seat and listen to the music.
  2. May 20, 2011
    the best rbg in my life . all site give this game review less then 95 . there are wrong
  3. May 20, 2011
    I have played many RPG's in my life, but i have to say, this is the best yet. I won't go into details as the many other positive comments echo my sentiments. Those who moan about the combat, you need to learn how to play. The controls are responsive, and the player needs to use ALL his abilities to survive, this is not a hack-and-slash. Get lost in this game, you will love it!
  4. May 20, 2011
    The best RPG game i have ever played. This is truly a epic masterpiece. The environment is so amazing and and mind blowing, its just blows all the other RPG games out of the water. The villages / cities are so alive and full of life that you can spend hours just walking completely immersed in the game.
  5. May 20, 2011
    OK, maybe this is a little off topic.

But why in hell didn't IGN and Gamespot review it the very first day it was released? Whilst lame but corporate-supported Dragon Age 2 gets a top-notch review the very first moment it hits shelves? Do you thin you damn idiots that this masterpiece of a game will get its sales hampered just because of your bribed asses? Not to mention the idiotic
    OK, maybe this is a little off topic.

Not to mention the idiotic 1/10 user reviews...

Anyway - the game is the best thing that ever happened to us since Arcanum. Nuff said.
  6. May 20, 2011
    I am seriously annoyed with how many people have actually just made new accounts out of jealously for how great this game is. Sure it does have it's flaws, but they are so few and devalued, that it is next to zero effect on gameplay. Being that this engine was made specifically with PC's in mind and not a console port as some moronic reviewers have put it, it is going to be more difficultI am seriously annoyed with how many people have actually just made new accounts out of jealously for how great this game is. Sure it does have it's flaws, but they are so few and devalued, that it is next to zero effect on gameplay. Being that this engine was made specifically with PC's in mind and not a console port as some moronic reviewers have put it, it is going to be more difficult to optimize for everyone's machine. I myself can play the game on max settings with very few framerate hiccups, but I can understand the frustration. I don't have a review as of yet, but I will tell you so far this second trip to the world of the witcher has been worth the wait and definitely outweighs the hype. Expand
  7. May 20, 2011
    Pros: Visually stunning(even on low settings). Much better written than the first game(or possibly better translated?) Your choices mold the story. Combat is proactive, you can switch targets very quickly and Geralt is designed to cover ground just as quick. You can play a swordsman, a alchemist, or a spellcaster, even though Geralt is mainly a swordsman you can get through just aboutPros: Visually stunning(even on low settings). Much better written than the first game(or possibly better translated?) Your choices mold the story. Combat is proactive, you can switch targets very quickly and Geralt is designed to cover ground just as quick. You can play a swordsman, a alchemist, or a spellcaster, even though Geralt is mainly a swordsman you can get through just about any encounter if you decide to focus on just one skill tree. You'll care for your friends, they're well written and voiced. Cons: Recipe ingredients slowly crawl up, making crafting a little tedious. Enemy AI a little clunky. Opening doors and using environment ledges and ladders, also clunky. Some bugs involving inventory and traps/bombs. Game is a brutal teacher, you'll get your ass handed to you while learning the game(read manual). Insane difficulty permanent death, they could have had Insane difficulty and then Hardcore difficulty.

If you ask anyone who's played The Witcher 1 if they expected this from The Witcher 2, I can guarantee you that most of us are surprised with how much better this game is than we expected and that CDProjectRED didn't drop the ball, but they outdone themselves with this one.

Let's hope The Witcher becomes a franchise!
  8. May 21, 2011
    Best RPG game ever, definitely candidate to GOTY 2011!! I can't say any bad word about it its truly masterpiece. This game have a soul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. May 20, 2011
    I've played many RPGs in my life, and The Witcher 2 is one of the best! This game has attitude, and is challenging, with both a strong story and awesome graphics. Its also very immersive, because of the attention to detail and love of the game clearly shown by the developer. If you buy any game in 2011, this would be the one. I sincerely hope other game developers learn from this . . .I've played many RPGs in my life, and The Witcher 2 is one of the best! This game has attitude, and is challenging, with both a strong story and awesome graphics. Its also very immersive, because of the attention to detail and love of the game clearly shown by the developer. If you buy any game in 2011, this would be the one. I sincerely hope other game developers learn from this . . .

- Tim
  10. May 20, 2011
    Mature, intense, non-linear story, what else do you need? Well, the combat mechanics are a vast improvement over the first Witcher. However, mind you, the combat is extremely difficult, although realistic. A few swings from a swordsman can kill you, easily. I'm not going to dwell too much into the game, you have play it, but, so far, this is Game Of The Year. Skyrim might steal that crown,Mature, intense, non-linear story, what else do you need? Well, the combat mechanics are a vast improvement over the first Witcher. However, mind you, the combat is extremely difficult, although realistic. A few swings from a swordsman can kill you, easily. I'm not going to dwell too much into the game, you have play it, but, so far, this is Game Of The Year. Skyrim might steal that crown, but then again, Skyrim is a completely different game; sure both are RPG, but the mature, gritty nature of the Witcher is not comparable to the more fantasy-like characteristics of the Elder Scrolls.

Again, non-linear, mature story; difficult, but excellent combat system; 4 beginnings, 16 different endings, over 40 hours of gameplay, plus the developer has officially announced that the upcoming DLCs will be absolutely free of charge, there's really no excuse to not pick this one up if your an RPG fan. This game is one of the greatest of 2011, BioWare and Bethesda should take some notes.
  11. May 20, 2011
    This game exceeds every expectation you may think of, amazing story, amazing characters and the game is just plain good. The gameplay is awesome and the choices you can make are, well just great for every personality out there!

I recommend this game a 100% as it is one of the best RPGs I've played. So why are you missing an amazing game?
  12. May 20, 2011
    Finally I've played the game which make me really happy because of knowing that I live in Geralt's world full of intrigues and betrayds. Story? Amazing. Graphic? Spectacular. Combat system? Hard and really epic. Fun? For 200% ;)
    That's how the RPGs should look like and I hope it will be Game of the Year 2011.
    PS. Dragon Age, Mass Effect? Not any more.
  13. May 20, 2011
    Awesome game, a little on the tough side (which is fine with me) but I take off one point for the horrid quick time events, it might be just me, but I can't stand them. Otherwise awesome game :)
  14. May 21, 2011
    One of the best RPG I have ever played. Fantastic graphics, engaging combat (albeit a bit too difficult, but that's good for me) and a wonderful story.
  15. May 21, 2011
    If you love gorgeous engrossive environments, characters with rich backgrounds and well fleshed out dialog, quests with multiple paths to take allowing for you to carve your own version of a hero and a dynamic combat system that requires precison planning and preparation before you head into the fray, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is for you.

Built from the ground up with an enirelyly

Built from the ground up with an enirelyly new (and incredibly advanced) engine, The team at CD Projekt have come into their own with this masterpiece - that makes such works as Bioware's Dragon Age pale in comparison.

At launch, it does have a few teething problems, and this was to be anticipated - but with an easy patching system built into the launcher and a promise that all future DLC will be absolutely FREE for players, CD Projekt have excelled even Bioware with this iteration.

This is definately one to buy!
  16. May 21, 2011
    One of the best RPG's I have ever played. The games combat does take some getting used to, in the early hours of the game you are faced with fairly large groups of enemies and the tutorial tips are not very helpful.

However once you get into the swing of things, it really starts to make sense. Personally i like the more difficult combat its refreshing. In a lot of games recently you can just run into a bunch of enemies and wave your sword around like crazy with little consequence.
    This is not the case with The Witcher 2, to defeat packs of enemies you usually need to use everything in your arsenal, traps, signs, dodging, potions, oils etc...

This game is very re-playable as there are many choices throughout the game and often the consequences are not realised until later in the story. Most of the choices you make are not very "black and white" It is very engaging.

The story is pretty mature, I wouldn't recommend this game for a younger audience. Not only because of the sexual scenes in the game but also because the story is quite political.

The graphics are simply amazing, CDProject Red has done an amazing job crafting the locations. There are slight issues with graphical problems at the moment, for example the shadows on my game have some weird dithering effect but i expect it will be sorted out in patches.
    Obviously these high graphics mean you will probably only be buying this game if you have a good graphics card, the game still pretty good on low settings however.

All in all, an amazing game with a combat system that requires some thought about the fight beforehand and crazy through the roof production values.
    A must buy for any hardcore PC gamer in my opinion.
  17. May 21, 2011
    Complex storyline, engaging detailed world, what more could you ask for in an rpg? Some minor problems with item and target selection but nothing too distracting.
  18. May 21, 2011
    The Witcher 2 utilises a combination of factors to deliver a compelling game, with a solid central story fleshed out via the numerous side-quests. Whilst flawed in places, the undercurrent of excellent game-play decisions make for both a unique and compelling experience. To go into detail about this game's downsides - this game requires a somewhat beefy PC to run at a solid 30 frames perThe Witcher 2 utilises a combination of factors to deliver a compelling game, with a solid central story fleshed out via the numerous side-quests. Whilst flawed in places, the undercurrent of excellent game-play decisions make for both a unique and compelling experience. To go into detail about this game's downsides - this game requires a somewhat beefy PC to run at a solid 30 frames per second. The narrative of the game can jar a little at times. The original series of books by Andrzej Sapkowski is a combination of complex politics and quite a few jokes inside a largely serious world that combines a medieval setting with references to far more modern science, and this has been transplanted into the game and can catch you unaware. The game does not walk you through the tutorial, and does expect you to read a large amount of text to grasp the game's concepts. The Witcher 2 centres around Geralt of Rivia - a "Witcher" - a genetically enhanced warrior with access to useful magic and potion-crafting. Geralt is refreshing as an RPG hero who is well defined by both narrative and game-play. One of the game's under-sung strengths is that the developers did not use the Bioware trick of repetitive good/evil options, yet the options in conversation do frequently give you the chance to change the conversation, or to attempt various risky strategies inside those conversations (one of these, comparable to Jedi Mind Tricks, is exceptionally fun to pull off). To give an early example - on confronted with his jailer, who makes a joke at his expense, the player is offered the chance to take the joke in good or bad humour. In my play-through, I selected "Very funny" - the bad humoured response - and Geralt instead replied **** you". Whilst coarse, this really sets up the character who you have only just been introduced to as someone who gets blunt when he's angry. There's numerous more events like this in the game, and this underlines the storytelling skill of this game's writers. Combat is certainly the Witcher's weakest area of core gameplay, but it nonetheless is a solid experience. The combat is sometimes reminiscent of Assassin's Creed 2, but with more technical skill required. Geralt has access to his magic in combat, but by no means is the magic overbearing, rather really acting as tricks to even the odds in large fights. Like Assassin's Creed 2, their is an underlying current of block-and-punish. Unlike Assassin's Creed 2, the blocking is limited and certainly not instant. A badly timed sword swing cannot be rectified easily, and Geralt can be punished in turn. This matters because Geralt is not endlessly popping potions to stay upright - potions can only be drunk in a meditative state prior to combat, and they're more about buff/debuff than your typical tropes of red healing potions and blue mana potions. This helps reinforce the realism of the fight, and prevents Geralt from looking like an unstoppable death machine, or your typical RPG hero that thinks nothing of drinking an entire keg of health potions whilst fighting. Enemies are still relevant and still need to be fought legitimately. This makes the game hard, and prior to the player getting to grips with the combat it's in fact very hard, yet far more involving and rewarding than a great many other RPG combat systems. Like much of the rest of the game, this involving and narrative-reinforcing style is the very best thing about it. To summarise - this game is the most significant PC game this year, and possibly one of the most important RPGs across all platforms. If you have the PC to run it, go pick it up. 9/10. Expand
  19. May 21, 2011
    Finally, a story-driven game that delivers a complete story-based experience, rather than just a plot line and some well developed characters , stuffed haphazardly into the framework of a game.

Graphically, the game is simply gorgeous, and highlights what can be done with a top of the line card these days. The music is solid and sets the tone of the game play well without being so intrusive that it makes me stop what I'm doing just to listen (or to turn it off in the case of games with musical scores that I don't particularly enjoy). The characters I've met so far have been engaging and believable, but my highest praise so far is reserved for the world itself: The world of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings simply breathes life, and the attention to detail that has gone into it makes everything built upon that world so much more compelling. The graphics are a part of that, but with respect to soldiers being rallied by their King or merely siting by the fire and chatting each other up, all the way to the in-game cut-scenes which show an interrogator pouring a drink, complete with animations, there doesn't appear to be any aspect of this game that has been cut down for the sake of convenience. As far as story-telling in the gaming medium goes, this game is unsurpassed. No longer just plot points strung together by filler combat, this game shows the true potential of gaming as a vehicle for escapism and engagement like no other game in the last 10 years.

Compared to The Witcher, combat in the sequel has also been refined, the result being more engaging than simply waiting for the string of attacks to end before clicking to add another link to the chain. However, while it is more immediate, there are not so many moves for the player to make that it becomes a frantic button-masher. Timing your parries and rolls (and yes, there is a lot of rolling... perhaps too much for my taste, exciting though it can be at times), as well as making judicious use of Signs, is crucial in this game, but success hinges upon a player identifying and reacting to the styles of attacks (and defenses) used by enemies, rather than on the mechanical style of the first game. In other words: You've got to pay attention to how your enemies are attacking, rather than focus solely on what your Geralt is doing.

The one true criticism I have for this game so far lies with the quick time events. Frantically right-clicking in response to a mouse-icon on the screen to winch an arbalest, or waiting for the appropriate letter key to begin flashing on the screen during a boxing match, adds little to the experience and nothing to the story, and hearkens back to the emphasis on mechanics, rather than characterization or story (or "immersion", or however you want to label it), that was prevalent in the first game in this franchise.

Beyond that, however, lies a true gem of PC Gaming, and one that no fan of the genre should miss. But for my own belief that no game is or ever can be perfect, this is surely have been the game that would have earned that score from me.
  20. May 21, 2011
    I have played this game into the second chapter and while I've run into a few fights that were pretty tough I have no complaints, the game runs smoothly and is absolutely beautiful to look at, the sweeping vistas and grand scale are marvelous, the game play mechanics are easy to master and soon your lobbing bombs and using fire signs with the best of them.

The characters are well

The characters are well portrayed, voiced and animated, the side quests are fun and varied (I love beating people up bare knuckle style so I'm glad that's still in the game) and the NPC's aren't as annoying as they are in other games.

If your like your Rpg's immersive, fun, mature and beautifully made then the Witcher 2 has everything you need.
  21. May 22, 2011
    I'v finished the game on hard level. My system is Win7 64. Game never crashed, tiny bug in inventory (bombs in slot). I bouth my computer 1yr ago and im playing on high options and it goes fluently (without camera mblur). Its beautiful game, great story, characters and plot. I reccomend it to everyone.
  22. rov
    May 22, 2011
    Thank you CD Project RED for making an RPG just the way I like it: immersive, beautiful, and challenging. It is clearly the product of people with love for the genre. For any RPG fan out there: don't just sit there. Buy it. Now.
  23. May 22, 2011
    this game is an absolute masterpiece...i have cried because it is that awesome....the beginning can be a little hard for noobs, since the game doesn't hold your hand in any way. Combat is challenging, voice acting is top notch, specially for the main characters. The other npcs's could use a little animation work, but who cares, because once you get into the cities you will be blown away.this game is an absolute masterpiece...i have cried because it is that awesome....the beginning can be a little hard for noobs, since the game doesn't hold your hand in any way. Combat is challenging, voice acting is top notch, specially for the main characters. The other npcs's could use a little animation work, but who cares, because once you get into the cities you will be blown away. I cried when I got to Vergen. You thought Orzammar was nice in Origins? wait till you see a real dwarven city. Bioware, learn you stuff...in terms of decision making and story, you do not hold a candle to the witcher 2. The music, it is one of the most breathtaking pieaces you will hear in any game. It is not a ripoff of Lord of the rings, or some this like that like dragon age. The world is a living masterpiece. From npc's to birds, to the level of detail which, i dare say, looks dx11 sometimes. In terms of graphics, this game destroys crysis 2 and sometimes even crsysis 1. If you have the pc to run it, like I do, consider yourself lucky to be playing such a beautiful game. I am almost done with chapter 2, and the build up, is one of the most rewarding experiences in any game. The witcher 2, is now, my GOTY choice and it will stay like that, because no bioware game will ever come close to this, ever. Expand
  24. May 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best game ever. I never play such a good rpg since BG2. This game have everything. Realistic world, nice graphics.I love geralt and CD projekt.

Realy good work. Thx
  25. May 23, 2011
    I find it very strange that aslkaz has written the exact same review for the Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2, just changed a few words here and there? In both of the reviews he says the game is rubbish and you should get the other one instead. Yet he has only given The Witcher 2 a 2 rating and Dragon Age 2 a 4 rating? Weird. I think someone is trying to rile up the natives.

Anyway, this

Anyway, this game is brilliant. The combat is better than in the first one as it is more intuitive. The graphics are amazing. Conversation options really help you to get into the story, I find myself doing 'just one more quest' before turning off my pc. I'm really enjoying the fact that you can change all Geralts clothing this time round and you can also make a lot of really good stuff. Anybody who is having problems with the weight limit, their is a fix you can download off the web which reduces all timber, iron, cloth, etc to 0.1 instead of 1. I found the link on gog.com.

I like the fact that you can eradicate monsters from an area this time round by destroying their nests. You feel like you are really doing something to help the locals rather than just 'kill drowner, rinse and repeat' ad infinitum.

I'm finding it very hard to make some of the big decisions, guess I'm just going to have to play it through a few times! There are 4 beginnings and 16 endings so plenty of replay value.

I would urge you to get this game, you won't regret it.

As a side note, I have nad no problems installing and running this game. Installation and online certification went smoothly, downloaded a small patch and installed, downloaded the Troll DLC and my free pre-order bonus with no problem. Have been playing now for 30+ hrs and had no crashes, no stuttering, just a beautiful game.
  26. May 23, 2011
    The game is gorgeous. It has always been my belief that for a good RPG, the game-play must be on top. The Witcher 2 proves that graphics - amazing graphics - can also be on top. The game looks incredible. Up until now I thought that Oblivion and Mass Effect was the top - not anymore. I don't even want to mention Dragon Age - that age (neverwinter knights engine on steroids) must go.

It

It is 2011 now. PCs are not the last-gen Consoles anymore. A medium GPU card has enough RAM to run Windows 7, and benchmarks showing stuff we never get to see in games. Up until now. Bioware should look very closely, because Low-poly and maroon color-pallete is soo yesterday!.

Project RED may have started with Withcher One on a Neverwinter Nights modified engine, but they show that evolution cannot be stopped by a "works fine this way" approach. You might have seen screen-shots, gameplay movies, it looks even better in reality :-).

I know graphics just look good, but RPG is not a scripted slideshow between chess-turn-based "battle" sequences. Oh no, Witcher 2 is very fluent and real-time. You are a powerfull, but there are even more powerful foes out-there. Besides swords you also have magic and alchemy to help you win.

Story-wise, decisions you make matter. They matter in such a big way, that all the game that follows that decision is different. And there are no easy decisions, no-one is bad and no one is the good-guy. You can be what you will dictates but know that in ONE gameplay you will only see 70% of what the developers have so crafty put into this project. This adds to replay, maybe next time you'll spare the boy, maybe you will not...

I see this a s a milestone in RPG gaming. YOU deserve this game if you love great RPGs.

As an ending, all the DLCs will be FREE and I can't wait for the first add-on and my next playthrough.
  27. May 23, 2011
    What I can tell ? This game is great for me. Dialogs, combat system, story, animations, graphics. On my old PC i can play with high details. Optimization is great. For me, game is candidate for Game of the Year. I think it can be one of the BEST PC game EVER.
  28. May 23, 2011
    GOTY 2011. I read through comments and i can only add that the game world artistic style is incredible. This is something that is rarely seen in any other game if ever, and it is all around you everywhere you turn. Get it and feast your eyes on the best looking world transferred into silicon chipsets
  29. May 23, 2011
    A GOTY Material!

This game is AWEESOME a must have for any mature RPG player. Finally a game that is not afraid to show nudity because of some fake BS morals and cheap political correctness. Finally a game without pushing gay romance (yek) on normal people (I hated this part in DA game). First this game shows the world like it was in middle ages, meaning woman was no-body, so
    A GOTY Material!

This game is AWEESOME a must have for any mature RPG player.
    First this game shows the world like it was in middle ages, meaning woman was no-body, so criticizing this game about being misogynic is just pure BS and lack of history knowledge.

This review is more a replay to negative reviews, people complaining about graphical issues should check their antiquated PCâ
  30. May 24, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is simply everything PC gaming was waiting and dying for. And the best thing is that CD-Project didn't have the funds to overhype this game. All the publicity it got and gets is just because of one reason; The Witcher 2 breathes quality. Sure, it has a few bugs and minor downfalls; sometimes Geralt gets stuck, the game crashed to my desktop once and the fighting isn'tThe Witcher 2 is simply everything PC gaming was waiting and dying for. And the best thing is that CD-Project didn't have the funds to overhype this game. All the publicity it got and gets is just because of one reason; The Witcher 2 breathes quality. Sure, it has a few bugs and minor downfalls; sometimes Geralt gets stuck, the game crashed to my desktop once and the fighting isn't fantastic.. but hell; the story(telling) is epic, you really get the feeling that your choices do influence the story, the characters are great and the atmosphere is fantastic. And off course the graphics.. AWESOME! This is one of the reason why I play my games on a PC! It really shows what a game can be when it gets developed only for PC only and doesn't have to make concessions for those bloody consoles. In my opinion this game is one of the best games for the last couple of years and deserves to become GOTY 2011.
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK CD-PROJECT!
  31. May 24, 2011
    This is the best RPG I have played in 10 years. The storyline, gameplay, and dialogue are all the best parts of the good old days of RPGs. Except for the graphics, that is. The downside to this is that you need a pretty good machine to experience the graphics, but you will be glad you got that video card upgrade when you see the graphics here. This is a rare case where the sequel blowsThis is the best RPG I have played in 10 years. The storyline, gameplay, and dialogue are all the best parts of the good old days of RPGs. Except for the graphics, that is. The downside to this is that you need a pretty good machine to experience the graphics, but you will be glad you got that video card upgrade when you see the graphics here. This is a rare case where the sequel blows the original out of the water. I spent 70 dollars on it and I feel like I got a bargain for all this game is worth. Expand
  32. May 24, 2011
    GREAT GAME, MUCH BETTAR THAN OUR PIECE OF **** DWAGON AGE 2 THAT WE PRODUCE IN OUR STUDIOS. MAKE SUW TO BUY ALL OF OUA DLC FOR DWAGON AGE 2: THE REVENGE OF THE ANCIENT EVIL OR WE BAN YOU. END OF RINE
  33. May 24, 2011
    While The Witcher 2 does have some minor flaws, none of them is crucial enough to spoil it's perfect presentation and incredible gameplay. Interesting characters, challenging combat and decisions with a deep impact on the story told, make this one of the best RPGs that have ever been released. If you are in any way attracted to RPGs, you don't want to miss out on this game.
  34. May 24, 2011
    Simply put, one of the best role playing games out there, if not the best. Excellent story that makes you want to keep playing to discover whats happening, very nice combat system that feels fluid (despite some glitches) and graphics that will blow you away. The game has actual choices that lead you up to different paths and change the way it plays on the last 2 chapters. Choices thatSimply put, one of the best role playing games out there, if not the best. Excellent story that makes you want to keep playing to discover whats happening, very nice combat system that feels fluid (despite some glitches) and graphics that will blow you away. The game has actual choices that lead you up to different paths and change the way it plays on the last 2 chapters. Choices that range from choosing how will you infiltrate a town, to picking what side you will aid in the war. A truly beautiful game which makes me even more anxious to see what this Polish studio will prepare for us in The Witcher 3. Some bugs may appear here and there but reviews that give it "0" are just not justified AT ALL. I can understand a 7-8 for someone that hasn't been able to start it and is angry but below that it's just pure hate. Expand
  35. May 25, 2011
    This is simply one of the best games I ever played, definitely best RPG. DA2 is like a watered down compared to this. A definite must buy for RPG fans.
  36. May 29, 2011
    BioWare could learn from CDPR how to make a real deep RPG game. This is the best game I've played since... The Witcher! Good job CDPR- I'm waiting for 3rd part (alternatively some kind of big expansion :))
  37. May 26, 2011
    I have played every notablle crpg since the late 80s. I can tell you this: the game belongs to that small exclusive clubb of games that represent a quantum leap beyond what has come before it. Super mario 3, zelda link to past, ff-6, starcraft, counterstrike, mario64, baldurs gate 2, DA:O, and now The Witcher 2. This game is made for the intelligent gamer. I usually agree withI have played every notablle crpg since the late 80s. I can tell you this: the game belongs to that small exclusive clubb of games that represent a quantum leap beyond what has come before it. Super mario 3, zelda link to past, ff-6, starcraft, counterstrike, mario64, baldurs gate 2, DA:O, and now The Witcher 2. This game is made for the intelligent gamer. I usually agree with professional critics but I suspect that thereis some very serious bias going on here as far as the scores this gamehas gotten from ign, and pcgamer and a few others. A 90 is a good score...but if u play this game it will be clear to you why that score is a threat to high quality productions like Witcher 2. It puts them on the same level as gammes like DA 2 and need for speed. Progress in gaming depends on recognition being given where recognition is due. That may be at the cost of say ign getting a Preview exclusive next time EA rolls out a big release, but honesty is what jnournalism, even gaming journalism needs to be about. Pretending like this game is just another aaa release like MW3 is not jjust a diservice to gamers, its a danger to the progression of gaming into an art form.

CDProjeckt Red has very clearly raised the bar in a huge way. Its incidentally a welcome rebuke to the notion that x dollars = y quality game. For approx 10m in development costs these guys mixed in genius and have come out with the best game in years.
  38. May 26, 2011
    I was quite surprise how good this game is. Regardless what some sites, critics or DA2 fanboys(that are tring to bring the score down) say, its a great game that deserve more than a 89. Storyline, graphics, fun, it goes on.
  39. Apr 19, 2012
    The first hour or two of this game, I hated it. Sure the story was great, and it was absolutely beautiful (although demanding). The combat is hard initially, but can be loads of fun once you adapt and learn to plan out your approach. The story is full of multiple meaningful decisions that result in completely different games - taking you to entirely different areas and methods of plotThe first hour or two of this game, I hated it. Sure the story was great, and it was absolutely beautiful (although demanding). The combat is hard initially, but can be loads of fun once you adapt and learn to plan out your approach. The story is full of multiple meaningful decisions that result in completely different games - taking you to entirely different areas and methods of plot progression. I highly recommend pushing through that initial learning curve, as you're then left with an awesome game to be immersed in. Expand
  40. Jun 5, 2011
    M_Stannard - you are pathetic and ridiculous. If you want to promote your favorite game DA2 do it well. OK? But not in this way.
    The Witcher 2 is a very, very good game, and your attacks on it are childish. I like DA2, but unfortunately, TW2 is better.
    And a few words about the game The Witcher2. I really liked The Witcher1. Loading was a bit annoying, but the story and graphics in 2007 really make a good impression. It was fun and interesting.
    But The Witcher2 is ... well ... amazing! WOW! Graphics, story, dialogue, music, and combat. This game is so interesting and exciting, it's hard for me to stop playing.Minor bugs do not interfere. My wife says that he wants to play in it. She says it's fun and beautiful game. I admit that my favorite games such as DA: Oh, Oblivion and Fable1 seem awfully boring now. Geralt is a medieval Wolverine. :) - killing machine, but not thoughtless. He is very human and has a sarcastic sense of humor. The Witcher2 this is a new era of RPGs. I downloaded the latest patch (1.2) for the game and the new DCL. Oh. It is a fantastic entertainment. Soon comes the Xbox 360 version of the Exclusive. I recommend to all who love novelty and challenge - because it is a difficult game. For me 10/10.
  41. Jun 11, 2011
    This is the game of the year. I played it for long hours and I don't regret it. It's beautiful, the graphic is amazing, all characters have very deep build with hided problems, attributes. Don't wait! Buy it!
  42. Jun 21, 2011
    This is a my personal GOTY so far. This game has everything that any other game want and more. Graphics are beautiful, combat is involving and tactical, the story is non linear and just plain amazing. This and Portal 2 are one of my favorite games of the year. Now, this game has some small problems, such as clunky inventory. But these problems are completely overshadowed by the game'sThis is a my personal GOTY so far. This game has everything that any other game want and more. Graphics are beautiful, combat is involving and tactical, the story is non linear and just plain amazing. This and Portal 2 are one of my favorite games of the year. Now, this game has some small problems, such as clunky inventory. But these problems are completely overshadowed by the game's other amazing qualities. Coupled with the fact that devs are continuously supporting the game with patches and DLC makes this game a must BUY this year. I would give this game 9/10 but will rate as 10/10 to counter other 0/10 from haters. Expand
  43. Jun 26, 2011
    An absolute masterpiece no more no less. Not as demanding as people claim it is if your system is semi-decent. A must buy for ANYONE who claims to enjoy RPGs.
  44. Nov 21, 2011
    Never been much of a fan of fantasy settings but The Witcher 2 had me intrigued and subsequently totally won over. Now here is a fine example of great story telling and immersive gameplay paired with lush eye-candy and a haunting soundtrack. Looking forward to the next instalment once I finish with this one.
  45. May 27, 2011
    Kudos to cdprojekt for creating this shining gem in a genre that is starting to become very stale and lowest common denominator. They've created one of the most enjoyable, beautiful, well written RPGs I've played in many years. If you're a true cRPG fan you need to play this game and the first Witcher as well. To those complaining about difficulty (including critic reviews), give it aKudos to cdprojekt for creating this shining gem in a genre that is starting to become very stale and lowest common denominator. They've created one of the most enjoyable, beautiful, well written RPGs I've played in many years. If you're a true cRPG fan you need to play this game and the first Witcher as well. To those complaining about difficulty (including critic reviews), give it a rest. Games used to be about using your head, learning mechanics, trying different things to overcome an obstacle, not crying because you can't "one-shot" everything on the first try. Expand
  46. May 20, 2011
    I'm not done chapter 1 but so far this game **** owns. Way better than DA2 and possibly GOTY for me.

There are minor complaints, but seeing as how they released an EE version of the witcher 1, I have high hopes they'll work on them. The game is absolutely stunning. The production values are through the roof, and the combat is fun and challenging. The music is as always in the witcher

The game is absolutely stunning. The production values are through the roof, and the combat is fun and challenging. The music is as always in the witcher series, wonderfully done. The cutscenes, the NPC interactions, the plot is all very engaging and interesting. There are tons of items, tons of neat places to see and things to collect and create.

The worst parts are easily: The UI (which has a very console feel), and certain aspects of the combat, but they overall are minor.

If I had to explain what this game is and what it stands for in the world of RPGs, it would be this.
    Wonderful.
  47. May 21, 2011
    Almost completely flawless; a work of art and an RPG masterpiece. My only qualm is with the new clunky and overly simplified inventory/journal/quest/codex screen.
  48. May 23, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings raises the bar for fantasy RPGs so high that I doubt any game, other than The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, will ever come close to touching it. The graphics are the best I have ever seen - blowing Crysis away - which helps make the world feel more real and instantly sucks you in to the experience. I won't spoil any story related points but while the endingThe Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings raises the bar for fantasy RPGs so high that I doubt any game, other than The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, will ever come close to touching it. The graphics are the best I have ever seen - blowing Crysis away - which helps make the world feel more real and instantly sucks you in to the experience. I won't spoil any story related points but while the ending is underwhelming the ride is absolutely worth it. The combat is vastly improved from the original, the animations are spot on, and the voice acting is top notch. All of this is capped off with an incredible soundtrack that really helps to set the tone of every experience in the game. This is a definite game of the year contender and I can't wait to see what CD Project RED does next. 10/10

----------
    The one warning I will give players who are looking into getting The Witcher 2 is: make SURE your PC is far beyond the recommended settings to fully enjoy the game. As of right now I can barely run the game at an acceptable frame rate with most graphics settings on high + AA on (out of: low/medium/high/ultra) and my PC's specs are: GeForce GTS 450, 3.0GHz quad core processor, and 8gb of DDR3 ram with the most recent drivers installed. The graphics still look amazing on high but my PC's specs are far beyond the recommended and should be able to run the game at a higher graphic fidelity (in my opinion). I don't believe CD Project RED did a good enough job optimizing the game. Now, if you are on the fence and are unsure whether or not you should get it because of your PCs specs, CD Project RED has addressed the performance issues people are having and has stated that they will release a patch this week that should improve performance for most users which depending on how effective it is could make a big difference on who I would recommend this game to. But as of right now if you have a PC with specs slightly above minimum I would hold off and getting this game and would wait until the next time you upgrade so you can fully enjoy it. That's my only complaint though. -----------
  49. May 17, 2011
    Im using a Galaxy Geforce GT 430 and running the game on high settings, in 720p the game is gorgeous, the combat is fantastic,the dialogue is smart aggressive and sometimes witty, i am not using the keyboard and mouse control i am using a razor Onza xbox 360 controller and am completely in love. If they can find a way to stabilize the graphics for the 360 and ps3, console gamers with beIm using a Galaxy Geforce GT 430 and running the game on high settings, in 720p the game is gorgeous, the combat is fantastic,the dialogue is smart aggressive and sometimes witty, i am not using the keyboard and mouse control i am using a razor Onza xbox 360 controller and am completely in love. If they can find a way to stabilize the graphics for the 360 and ps3, console gamers with be getting a rpg well worth the 60 dollars, CDproject know what they were doing with this game. im not a huge pc gamer, though im slightly starting to convert. this game will keep me busy for awhile as iv been exploring the area of chapter 1 for over 9 hours. Get this game its worth it. Expand
  50. May 26, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011. The single best RPG I have played since Planescape: Torment. The characters are deep and complex, the storyline develops depending on your actions and choices. It takes what was good from every single RPG released in the last 15 years and makes it into something better. The graphics are simply the best ever seen in an RP
  51. May 17, 2011
    This game is brilliant! Engaging combat, great story, awesome graphics, immersive surroundings, compelling dialogues, tasteful love interests... and I could go on and on with the praise, but I think I'll just go back to gaming.
  52. May 17, 2011
    Simply incredible! It's not perfect, but it is one of the the most well-designed games I have ever played. After that sorry excuse of a sequel, which was Dragon Age 2, playing this game is truly a refreshing experience. Buy it, play it and revel in the glory of the game.... then pray that CD Projekt will be an independent company in the future. (look at what BioWare had become...)
  53. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. True evidence that "adult game" can rely on adult story not on sea of blood /DA2/. Excellent, beautiful, immersive RPG. Great atmosphere, great story, and nontrivial combats. Bioware please take your lesson before ME3 and DA3 hit the market. For today Witcher 2 is the RPG king of 2011.9 not 10 score because of minor flaws and complicated installation procedure. Hope that patch will solve most of this. Expand
  54. May 25, 2011
    Okay, so here is how it is. This game is about as close to perfect as it gets. On Gameplay...
    Combat is smooth as silk and very fast paced, and is actually fun compared to the QTE click-fest that was the first game. Changing (magic) signs on the fly with the new system makes for some intresting gameplay as well. The game places a high amount of importance of positioning for an attack, and using potions to prepare for a battle beforehand is useful however, not absolutly necessary. As a little note, the finishing moves are sweet to watch and the group finishers are even cooler.

On Graphics...
    Amazing. Some flaws exist when the characters (especially minor ones) are talking and the mouth movements appear to be a little "off". However the character models, environments, and overall animation make this game one of the most beautiful out there today. (Running on a 560ti+Q9650 with no problems @ a solid 60fps most the time)

On story...
    I won't spoil anything here but one thing did bother me, this was the "paraphrased" speech choices. about 25% of the time i unintentionally choose something that i thought meant something else. (Probably my own stupidity but i feel that the game could have been a little clearer on it.)

A minor note i want to make here with the game itself.
    Installation was a hassle for me. Apparently because of the overall size of the DVD (8g) i did have a problem because my DVD drive was unable to install the program past 75%. Again, not CDPROJEKT's fault but if you are using an older DVD drive, (even one that can read dual layer dvds) you may encounter a few problems. Also, registering the CD key was a pain. You may need to install the "offline" patch to get your game to work. (CD key will be entered and then nothing will happen, and you keep repeating the process, over and over...lol) So if you are a fan of RPG's, Interesting Stories, Fast-paced Game play, and seeing Triss naked i would definitely pick up the Witcher 2 (even if you haven't played the first one)
  55. May 18, 2011
    Best RPG you can buy! It has everything a true RPG should have. You got magic , awesome battling , traps, crafting , armor modification , non linear gameplay and stunning graphics and much much more I. Finally a game that utilizes PC's true power! A must buy that's for sure. Dont mind trolls who give it 0 , this game is fantastic those who complain probably cant run it because of theirBest RPG you can buy! It has everything a true RPG should have. You got magic , awesome battling , traps, crafting , armor modification , non linear gameplay and stunning graphics and much much more I. Finally a game that utilizes PC's true power! A must buy that's for sure. Dont mind trolls who give it 0 , this game is fantastic those who complain probably cant run it because of their overpriced Alienware crap Expand
  56. May 22, 2011
    Finally we have a real game being released in 2011. I was beginning to give up hope. This game clearly shows that if developers just put some effort into their games, instead of releasing the same game every year, they can easily be GOTY. The graphics are spectacular, even on medium mode. The storyline, the characters and the environment are so amazing, the entire atmosphere made me getFinally we have a real game being released in 2011. I was beginning to give up hope. This game clearly shows that if developers just put some effort into their games, instead of releasing the same game every year, they can easily be GOTY. The graphics are spectacular, even on medium mode. The storyline, the characters and the environment are so amazing, the entire atmosphere made me get really into it. Combat is better than the first one. I sort of wish you could drink potions in combat, since that kind of makes sense, but whatever. Expand
  57. May 22, 2011
    The way I see it, CD Project has just raised the bar of CRPGs a lot higher. Replayability of the game is tremendous, the combat is way more challenging than in the first installment, character development gained strategy elements as during a single playthrough you'll be able to take only small subset of available skills. Other praises go to game graphics and animation, it's just topnotch.The way I see it, CD Project has just raised the bar of CRPGs a lot higher. Replayability of the game is tremendous, the combat is way more challenging than in the first installment, character development gained strategy elements as during a single playthrough you'll be able to take only small subset of available skills. Other praises go to game graphics and animation, it's just topnotch. That said, I give the game 9/10 due to disappointing ending, it was too open-ended and unsatisfying to my liking. Expand
  58. May 22, 2011
    Short answer: Probably the best game of the year(at least until Skyrim).

Short answer: Probably the best game of the year(at least until Skyrim).

Longer Answer: I played through it once so far. And absolutely love it. The graphic is amazing, even if i had to use low graphics due to crappy computer the game still looked very nice. Even if there are some flaws in the game the positive side heavily outweighs the negative side. After completing the game i felt quite satisfied. Sure it could have gone on for longer and there are still questions unanswered, but none of those have really anything to do with the main story in the game, even if some are a result of the main story.
    A great thing with witcher2 is that it's made for adults. nothing is censored(unless you live in Australia). Wish more developers would go on that path, it sort of puts the realism at a higher level than in any other game.

A both good and bad thing in the witcher2 is that the game doesn't hold you hand and show you what to do. Some things you have to figure out yourself. It's not dumbed down and therefor can feel a bit challenging. But that is all the genre is about also.
    Lets hope this is not the last we've seen of the witcher. The Witcher2 felt like a very welcomed game, specially after the big letdown after Dragon Age2.
  59. May 25, 2011
    Once again amazing character/development and writing but the main story feels lacking. I would like to write a large review and say a lot about this game but I would use up all of my available characters so I'll just say it fully deserves my 9. It loses a point for a number of reasons. Combat is perfect in every way could use a little re balancing especially the spells.
  60. May 21, 2011
    This game can easily match it with the best non-linear RPGs out there. A dark atmosphere and adult storytelling set it apart from most other games of it's genre. Good and Evil are so close together when you make your decisions that there usually is no "good choice" - its mostly about choosing the "lesser evil" - and that choice is nearly 100% up to you - and yes: Choose your words poorlyThis game can easily match it with the best non-linear RPGs out there. A dark atmosphere and adult storytelling set it apart from most other games of it's genre. Good and Evil are so close together when you make your decisions that there usually is no "good choice" - its mostly about choosing the "lesser evil" - and that choice is nearly 100% up to you - and yes: Choose your words poorly and the game will instant-kill you!

With upgraded graphics it is a real beauty on a high-end PC. A tip for drastically improving performance is to turn of "Uber-Sampling" which makes the game unplayable on Single-GPU systems.

The only real problem I could find are some balancing issues that make the game's combat very hard while you are still try to learn it and gain your first levels. This is because the encounters do not scale with the players level. But it also means that game gets easier each level - which makes it almost too easy at the end (unless you skip all side-quests).

All in all the best RPG I have played since Mass Effect - even surpassing it (and I am a Sci-Fi fan). I did not encounter any game-breaking bugs/crashes but I had no sound with a 7.1 USB-headset. The game works at 5.1 and stereo though. Found no logic bugs either - sometimes a quest-NPC wasn't there but that was usually fixed by meditating 23 hours.

Any RPG-fan should own a copy of this game!
  61. May 23, 2011
    Excellent game! If you love RPG this is the game for you in 2011. Simply superb graphics and storytelling. Different battle system compared to TW1 and it works much better. I had trouble playing on harder difficulties in this game when I breezed through the insane difficulty on TW1. It's a must buy. I would even re-play TW1 just to see how it affects events in this game. DO get this gameExcellent game! If you love RPG this is the game for you in 2011. Simply superb graphics and storytelling. Different battle system compared to TW1 and it works much better. I had trouble playing on harder difficulties in this game when I breezed through the insane difficulty on TW1. It's a must buy. I would even re-play TW1 just to see how it affects events in this game. DO get this game instead if you're thinking of DA2 which I never even bothered to finish. Expand
  62. May 23, 2011
    This is my favorite RPG since Fallout: NV. Different, suprising and addictive. I'm playing at just under/around medium graphics quality and it is still gorgeous. Can hardly wait to replay it in a few years with everything turned on.
  63. May 17, 2011
    The witcher 2 will be RPG of the year 2011.. The Witcher 2 is best game i ever played in a very long time. Beautyfull graphics, nonlinear and addictive story, innovative combat system, great dialog, DRM free, free DLC, only 49$ compared to some others *cough* DA2 *cough* that charge $60 but less than 1/2 the quality.
  64. May 22, 2011
    Amazing game with awesome graphic, nonlinear story, perfect gameplay. One of the best RPG games i have ever played. I think that Bioware should learn to do an RPG for CD Project Red. Sorry for my English:)
  65. May 23, 2011
    Far above and beyond any recent RPGs in almost all categories. The graphics are amazing, it runs very well, the story and character designs are amazing. However, the game is not without faults. While the combat seems somewhat mediocre, the glitches that accompany random parts of the game are frustrating at times. Looting can become a chore when you spend a minute trying to angle yourFar above and beyond any recent RPGs in almost all categories. The graphics are amazing, it runs very well, the story and character designs are amazing. However, the game is not without faults. While the combat seems somewhat mediocre, the glitches that accompany random parts of the game are frustrating at times. Looting can become a chore when you spend a minute trying to angle your camera right and walk around in circles mashing left click, only to realize you won't be able to loot it because of a future quest, or because its glitched. If you enjoyed the story/theme of the first game, this is a no brainer and must be picked up asap. If you enjoy RPGs, you will most likely enjoy this title at full price. Expand
  66. May 17, 2011
    The best RPG ever, in my opinion, CD Project RED are the best, i have played it for about 7 hours and i already like it more than Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, all them together.

Simply Amazing
  67. May 19, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an Excellent game! Expands the story very well and the overall combat is much more fun to master than its predecessor. Its also great to see that developer puts so much care into its product and still give the hardcore pc gamers what they want.
  68. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Been waiting a long time for this sequel and so far i am not disappointed! After the massive letdown that was Dragon Age 2, this game came along and saved the day! Awesome combat, and the mix of rpg elements is great. graphics are sick. Im not sure how much of your system it uses i have a pretty high end system so im running at ultra and it looks amazing. no load times either. I started on hard difficulty and the game gives quite a challenge which is refreshing. you actually have to use your magic, traps, and alchemy to give you the edge you need. Anyone lookin for a great rpg to kill those long months before mass effect 3 and hopefully "fingers crossed" diablo 3, get this game! Expand
  69. May 18, 2011
    I needed about 5 minutes of playing The Witcher 2 to realize CD Projekt have outdone themselves. Great atmosphere, interesting plot and witty dialogue come together to produce a truly addictive game.
  70. May 18, 2011
    A Beautiful Game.
    Scenery, atmosphere and the rich colours are beautiful. Story is all engrossing(decisions, decisions). Interesting gritty fleshed out characters. Great combat. Great game.
  71. May 18, 2011
    Great GAME ! Definetly going to buy it straight from gog . Exellent job CD Project ! Damn guys keept it comming ! This will be my 5-th title ever bought ... you know i am from Eastern Europe too :D I own all WOW , Witcher 1, ME1 and ME2 .... BioWARE & EA : you freaking tricked us here in romania with the cerberus codes for ME2 . Never recived any code in the box , just a reply from EAGreat GAME ! Definetly going to buy it straight from gog . Exellent job CD Project ! Damn guys keept it comming ! This will be my 5-th title ever bought ... you know i am from Eastern Europe too :D I own all WOW , Witcher 1, ME1 and ME2 .... BioWARE & EA : you freaking tricked us here in romania with the cerberus codes for ME2 . Never recived any code in the box , just a reply from EA that the copies sold in Romania do not have the code . GG Bioware , you won't see my money anytime soon . Its just painfull that you do not want them. Ohh by the way have a great time tracking the pirates through SSL :P

P.S: To all users that keep saying DA2 it is better than TW2 ..... ..... you got the versions totally wrong. You should edit your posts and say : DA1 it is better than TW1 .. and that it is true :)
  72. May 17, 2011
    Never have I played an RPG that combines everything well together. From the little details like UI presentation all the way to the magnificent setpieces like the environments of Witcher 2, you will not walk away disappointed. The graphics are simply gorgeous. CDPR should be congratulated for the Red Engine. Not only is it well optimized, but if you have the hardware to max it, it is aNever have I played an RPG that combines everything well together. From the little details like UI presentation all the way to the magnificent setpieces like the environments of Witcher 2, you will not walk away disappointed. The graphics are simply gorgeous. CDPR should be congratulated for the Red Engine. Not only is it well optimized, but if you have the hardware to max it, it is a sight to behold. The gameplay is just perfect. The click heavy combat from the first has been replaced by a more responsive and accurate type of gameplay. It is like playing Demon's Souls, only more fluid. You control where you hit, and you will do it will style with all the bombs, traps, skills etc. The story is unbelievable! Don't wanna spoil anything but, after you play this game, you cannot wait to replay the game in another way. Expand
  73. May 17, 2011
    Excellent game, You have to buy it, perfect!, Excellent game, You have to buy it, perfect!, Excellent game, You have to buy it, perfect!, Excellent game, You have to buy it, perfect!
  74. May 17, 2011
    Genial Games! More impressed story, beautiful look, mysterious music & fine characters. Thanks for developer from Poland CD Project Red. One of the most looking game ever.
  75. May 17, 2011
    Really, i wasn't expecting to write a review of this game, but all this Bioware stuff with the 0 marks it's too much. You should be ashamed of what are doing here, trying to destroy this game, which has been made with a lot of effort by people who i'm sure love bioware game as we all did. Bioware, remember why you began working on videogames, and show some respect to these people, that'sReally, i wasn't expecting to write a review of this game, but all this Bioware stuff with the 0 marks it's too much. You should be ashamed of what are doing here, trying to destroy this game, which has been made with a lot of effort by people who i'm sure love bioware game as we all did. Bioware, remember why you began working on videogames, and show some respect to these people, that's the least you can do. By the way to the stupid from above, ¿what's your problem, you think we europeans don't kow a **** about games? Well i'm european and i know DA2 was one of the worst **** i've ever played, as DA origins was one of the best games i've ever played in my life. So please show some common sense and respect please. Expand
  76. May 17, 2011
    I can sum up this game by simply calling it a masterpiece. The love the developers have for PC gaming shows so clearly in how the Witcher 2 plays, and I think it will set a new standard for quality RPGs going forward. Keep up the amazing work, CDPR. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for this awesome company.
  77. May 17, 2011
    amazing atmosphere, fantastic dialogue and gameplay. Best RPG since Baldur's Gate
    GOTY 2011.
    Dragon Age I and II, Risen, Two Worlds and others simply are not able to compete with this game!
  78. May 17, 2011
    Great game, the translation wasnt the best, but everything else was great, good story, lost of locations to explore, the combat was good, and let me tell you, this game is very easy on the eyes, and for the people complaining about their machines not running the game well, well thats too bad, get a high end PC or stick with console gaming.

Bioware needs to take a look at what a real

Bioware needs to take a look at what a real studio can do when they put their mind to it, this makes DA2 look shameful in almost every category.
  79. ion
    May 17, 2011
    It is really hard to point out all qualities of this game because there are that many of them. Magnificent plot and storyline, deep, ambiguous characters, the importance of the choices you make (the choices, let's add, not obvious and not black and white), great minor characters and the gray, bleak yet vivid world in which the real monsters are the human beings. If we add to it marvelousIt is really hard to point out all qualities of this game because there are that many of them. Magnificent plot and storyline, deep, ambiguous characters, the importance of the choices you make (the choices, let's add, not obvious and not black and white), great minor characters and the gray, bleak yet vivid world in which the real monsters are the human beings. If we add to it marvelous graphics, well-made soundtrack and a demanding gameplay (you really have to use all your equipment and magic skills when facing a tough opponent or a bunch of them) we get one of the most amazing cRPG games in the last decade. The Witcher 2 is the masterpiece and as such, should stand alongside other masterpieces like Baldur's Gate, Fallout 2, KOTOR and Planescape: Torment. I hope that the game will become a huge success not only as a piece of art, but also as a product, so that we'll see more astonishing works from this small studio. Expand
  80. May 17, 2011
    First time I post here, but just one thing to say : congratz CDProject, you have done the best RPG, if it is not the best game I ever played. need more, get your time but do more of great game like this one. We buy and we appreciate them.
  81. May 18, 2011
    To be very honest, i wasnt expecting too much. I played the first The Witcher few years ago and it was good, nothing new , nothing brilliant it was a good game. But when i played The Witcher 2 it was just a new experience of gaming. The deepth of the story is just incredible, the possibility of choices in this game are incredible high, the atmosphere is just incredible dense its just aTo be very honest, i wasnt expecting too much. I played the first The Witcher few years ago and it was good, nothing new , nothing brilliant it was a good game. But when i played The Witcher 2 it was just a new experience of gaming. The deepth of the story is just incredible, the possibility of choices in this game are incredible high, the atmosphere is just incredible dense its just a beautiful game. The combat is great and intuitive a big improvement when you look at the first The Witcher. The graphics are just gorgeous, the design of the world , including environment, buildings, armors is really on of the best i ever saw. Its clearly on of the best Role Playing Games i ever experienced. So i can just say: Guys, buy this game and support the developers! Expand
  82. May 18, 2011
    One of the best game I have ever played. Story is realy non-linear (yes DA - you can learn from W2), graphics is great, characters are high detailed and almost alive. Combat was improved and now it is really nice.
    Brawo!
  83. May 18, 2011
    This game is a classic. People who are posting zeroes should just calm down. There's no way that bioware employees would be posting those marks. More like overzealous bioware fans who are threatened. This game deserves a complete 10. It's the best game i've played since oblivion, and dare I say it, baldur's gate. I get the distinct feeling that bethesda are playing this game rightThis game is a classic. People who are posting zeroes should just calm down. There's no way that bioware employees would be posting those marks. More like overzealous bioware fans who are threatened. This game deserves a complete 10. It's the best game i've played since oblivion, and dare I say it, baldur's gate. I get the distinct feeling that bethesda are playing this game right now and todd howard just said "new release date for skyrim folks...12/12/12" :) Expand
  84. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a masterpiece. Superb graphics and audio, non-linear story, mature choices and consequences. Witcher 2 is a game for hardcore RPG fans, but in the same time it's accessible so that anyone can play it. If you are a gamer, buy this game.

Angry Bioware fans, you don't realize that you are damaging your favorite company by boycotting Witcher 2 score like this. Many people will do the same for your favorite games, if you don't stop your rampage. In the end, all games will have lower scores.
  85. rq3
    May 18, 2011
    Mature story, dark world, not so shallow as BioWare production. Based on great novelty. It's real RPG! It's everything that BioWare's game failed to be.
    Great graphic
    Great story
    Great system
    Great music
    So many diffrent endings...
    Who needs more?
  86. May 18, 2011
    This game really is very good, a must buy for any REAL fan of the RPG Genre.
    The graphics are absolutely STUNNING. Plenty of customization to be had to ensure a decent frame rate.
    The storyline is first class, voice acting and lines are also very good. The use of Quick Time Events was a very welcome addition in my opinion. And, to top off what already is a great game, the developers have
    This game really is very good, a must buy for any REAL fan of the RPG Genre.
    The storyline is first class, voice acting and lines are also very good.
    The use of Quick Time Events was a very welcome addition in my opinion.
    And, to top off what already is a great game, the developers have issued the game without the troublesome DRM that is plaguing the PC Gaming Industry.
    To all the Bioware fan boys out there, man up and take your heads out of your asses.
  87. May 18, 2011
    One incredible game that you must definitely play. Very mature and smart text, nicely designed combat and stunning graphics. It is worth to play it more than once. That's for sure.
  88. s1n
    May 18, 2011
    Ok, I'll try to be as specific as I can with my review so I can help those who haven't made a decision yet:

1. Optimization - the game runs smooth on MID details on my 2x3.0 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, RadeonHD 4850, Win XP. And by MID details in The Witcher 2 I mean HIGH in many other blockbuster titles - the looks of the game are simply astounding! A few minor bugs will probably be handled with the first patch, but they don't screw up the whole picture at all.

2. Story - it nails you to the chair from the very beginning. Mature, deep, with characters that have their own affairs and motivation. The game provokes REAL emotions, with some of the scenes so deeply moving! This is a game, that you will remember long after you finished it!

3. Choices & non-linearity - finally they are real! This is not a typical Mass Effect thing, where the only choice you had was to be uber-polite or **** in dialogues, but no matter what you "chose" the outcome was the same and the story went on. Here you make REAL choices, that change the story completely at some points, make you visit different locations and meet different characters throughout the game. And typically for Geralt's world - usually you have to choose between two evils. 4. Audio - music & voice acting are from the top shelf. Period. 5. World design - with a huge attention to details, you can see passion and hard work put into the world design every corner you turn. All that crafting combined with very good ambience sounds make The Witcher 2 the most immersive RPG I have played.

6. Combat system - some people say it's too hard and chaotic, but I find it well balanced between action and some strategic thinking. The action factor is more visible, but hey - don't you think that swinging swords, casting spells and trying to slay your opponent is ALL about action?

7. Character development - the system is clear and gives you many options to develop Geralt the way you feel comfortable to play. 8. Overall - if you could call a game epic - this is the one. Not in the "internet" meaning of epic being something incredibly good(well, this too), but actually epic. The game has scale, ambition, and it has those little moments that make you just sit there in front of your screen with your hands off the keyboard and mouse and ADMIRE IT. If you can consider games an art - this is the masterpiece. Crafted with love and making those 30 hours of your life spent on it richer.

(wonder if anyone actually read this till the end :) )
  89. May 22, 2011
    One of the best RPG i ve played since Gothic, Morrowind and Risen. Finally somebody showed those mainstream, brainwashed developers how good RPGs are made.

Thanks!
  90. May 28, 2011
    This game made me excited again , to play a real rpg on PC , Graphic outstanding the best I have ever seen comparing this to Dragon age 2 or 1 graphic is unfair ..
    Sound are also great , I enjoy ambient sounds , sword sheathing , everything is done nicely
    Control : I don't know why so many complains about control , it response very well Story : One of the most amazing story in Game history , your choices mean something , bad may be good , and good may be bad .
    Game play : I find the game not that hard , if you go button smashing of course you will die ,
    you need to think , prepare yourself before the battles , make bombs , traps , and poisons .
    Improvement from the first game : the world is more realistic , Geralt can interact with many things , like climbing , sneaking , knocking enemies , light fire . these all knew things .
    Improvement for the Alchemy and mediation system . you don't need Alcohol for making potions .
  91. May 19, 2011
    This is a great rpg, the best I have ever played. I find it funny how people who rate this game badly rated Dragon Age 2 10/10. I bet they did not even play the game.
  92. May 27, 2011
    I'm praying for one thing - that big-shot RPG game developers will check out this game and will finaly understand what are the most important things for good RPG. And TW2 didn't discover America here - they just used ideas and way of thinking from 10 yers ago when things like Baldur or Planescape were created. Maybe they will also notice that creating half of game and selling second halfI'm praying for one thing - that big-shot RPG game developers will check out this game and will finaly understand what are the most important things for good RPG. And TW2 didn't discover America here - they just used ideas and way of thinking from 10 yers ago when things like Baldur or Planescape were created. Maybe they will also notice that creating half of game and selling second half as DLC is not the only way to make proffit from game - sometimes it's enough just to do a good game. Expand
  93. May 19, 2011
    This is Baldur's Gate 3 - so much love and attention has been lavished on this game it aches. This game delivers in spades what RPG lovers look for. This is the new benchmark - CD Projekt are the new Black Isle - no question. GO AND BUY THIS GAME!!!!!!
  94. May 19, 2011
    Behold! Game of the year! Also this title has become the new stress-tester for fast gaming PC's. I love the details, textures, people in the Witchers world, and the story. No spoilers. You gotta love it!
  95. May 19, 2011
    This might well be among the best role playing games i have ever played. The Atmosphere is great, the characters are authentic and the storyline is, while not extremely original, interesting to follow. Spice that up with a few well thought side quests and you got yourself a great game.

There are, however, some problems. First of all, the game is going to come out for consoles too and therefore the whole interface has been developed for that. Its bulky and in some cases downright illogical (why is there no 'junk' filter in the inventory?! or a sell all 'junk' button?!). Then there are some action sequences we already know from console games (press the button shown on the screen or die).

Well. The fights are pretty hard and sometimes you will be confronted with enemies that are almost impossible to beat at that time. Which is ok - but can present a nasty surprise. While Witcher I allowed you to play almost with no potions at all, you will need all your skill with traps and pots and bombs to even make it out of the introduction...

So, all in all, a very good game... which i can recommend.
  96. May 19, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an absolutely stunning game, offering a compelling and mature world filled with equally compelling characters. Visually breathtaking, deeply engrossing, and utterly enjoyable, The Witcher 2 may very well be one of the greatest RPGs of all time
  97. May 19, 2011
    This game is freakin' masterpiece. Great combat, AWESOME storyline, amazing graphics and unforgettable soundtrack! DA2 shouldn't even stay on the same shelf!
  98. May 19, 2011
    I've been waiting for this game for almost five years now. Aside from the botched Rise of the White Wolf console edition, the original Witcher game and two more editions there after changed the way I see and play role-playing games.

Fast forward to 2011 which is a great year for CDPR, The Witcher 2 has done the impossible. A stunning beautifully rendered game that's an achievement of its own. A game that genuinely captivates the imagination and sucks you in with its clever mature story telling.

Although it was a smooth launch, there are unavoidable software glitches that came with it like poor performance on high-end nvidia and ati cards, scores of quest bugs, and occasional crashes. CDPR assured the community that they are looking into these problems and would address them in the coming days or weeks. Don't let the light software problem prevent you from playing this magnificent game though.
  99. May 22, 2011
    Never seen such a story. Must - have, must - play. This is how you do it. Deep character system? Check Epic story? Check Engaging combat? Check No DRM? Check Same price across regions? Check Free DLC forever? Check CD Projekt is the anti-EA/Bioware. Game looks absolutely fantastic. Dialogue is immersive and well written. m_stannard is a gelatinous, buttperturbed jackass who is super madNever seen such a story. Must - have, must - play. This is how you do it. Deep character system? Check Epic story? Check Engaging combat? Check No DRM? Check Same price across regions? Check Free DLC forever? Check CD Projekt is the anti-EA/Bioware. Game looks absolutely fantastic. Dialogue is immersive and well written. m_stannard is a gelatinous, buttperturbed jackass who is super mad DA2 sucked dick. Expand
  100. May 23, 2011
    This game is NOT made for one-time play only. Depends on your choices you get COMPLETELY different quests and even locations. So don't tell me it's short! Play it once again and you will be amazed how big are the sequencer of your decisions.. I played it on hard and find combat extremely satisfying and challenging. There are 16 different endings. Unfortunately the number of it doesn't goThis game is NOT made for one-time play only. Depends on your choices you get COMPLETELY different quests and even locations. So don't tell me it's short! Play it once again and you will be amazed how big are the sequencer of your decisions.. I played it on hard and find combat extremely satisfying and challenging. There are 16 different endings. Unfortunately the number of it doesn't go with quality. Still it's the best RPG ever made! Expand
  101. May 27, 2011
    This is a good game, but it could have been great. When all is said and done, it suffers from the same problem as Dragon Age 2, although not to as great an extent. Pros: Amazing graphics. Every part of this game has been lovingly crafted to be visually pleasing.
    Good story and characters. The major characters are very believable, and have very defined personalities.
    Some parts of the
    Some parts of the combat system were great, most notably the difficulty at higher settings. You can't just expect to walk into a fight and mow down everything with your massive stats.

Cons: The game is on rails from the beginning. You can alter the storyline by your choices, but there's really no exploration to speak of.
    The menu system is very aggravating, and you will spend much more time sorting through things than you should ever have to.
    Other parts of the combat system are less than amazing. You'll need to remember the function of practically every key on the board. Forgot what one of them does? Tough. Go read the manual. Oh you can change the key mapping.....outside the game.....only to forget it later...... This wouldn't be as big a problem if there weren't so many keys you need to remember. There wasn't a single moment playing this game that I didn't yearn for the Over-The-Shoulder (OTS) system from the first game. Three separate keys for journal, character, and inventory? Really?...and I can't just switch between them in any simple way? You need to physically click exit every time you want to change one and then remember the key for the other menu that you want to go to. Seriously.

Don't get me wrong, Witcher 2 is still a good game. It's just that this seems to be what happens to every franchise when they start to see a little success. They try to make everything bigger, louder, and flashier at the expense of key gameplay elements. Thankfully Witcher 2 still has some fight left in it, but I can't help seeing the flaming pile DA 2 turned out to be, and find a little bit of that here.

1. Oct 21, 2011