8.5

1. May 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Witcher 2 is my first CDproject game iv played, Iam ashamed to say but what a pleasant surpise. The game begins with Gerlat in a cell and shows as to how he went from king Foltest personal protector to his accused murderer after you escape the prison by means of stealth, shear force or to a lesser extent diplomacy you begin the adeventure of clearing your name. With out revealing much more the story is well paced and should keep most fantasy fans hooked till the end. The game is vast as to what you can do with a robust crafting system letting you make anything from swords to armour to buffs/potions as you'll need them to increase your chances of survival as the games combat can be brutal. The combat is comprised of light and heavy attacks, parrying, dodging and magic and you will need them all if you want to be a good Wither if you have played Demons Souls then you should get a good idea as to how the combat plays just speed it up a notch. The dialouge options are well rounded to suit the charater theres a bit of freedom as to what kind of things you say from intimidating to sarcastic, It tops most RPGs and is one of the best this genertation with its harsh apporach to combat and lack of nursing its a raw RPG that all can enjoy if you give your self time to adjust how unforgiving it can be. Expand
  2. May 21, 2011
    Sure there are few UI niggles. And combat is pretty hard in the beginning. But I am judging games by quality of experience they provide. And this game? Best RPG experience since Vampire Bloodlines released in 2004. You owe it to yourself to buy this game and play it. If you do not have sufficient PC, buy it. Everything about this game, from world building, story, atmosphere, combat..is topSure there are few UI niggles. And combat is pretty hard in the beginning. But I am judging games by quality of experience they provide. And this game? Best RPG experience since Vampire Bloodlines released in 2004. You owe it to yourself to buy this game and play it. If you do not have sufficient PC, buy it. Everything about this game, from world building, story, atmosphere, combat..is top notch. Graphics is the best I have ever seen - CD Projekt truly have talented artists and programmers.
    You cannot call yourself a gamer if you do not play this game.
  3. May 21, 2011
    A very good RPG with an excellent story, I found myself as drawn in as with the first Witcher game. The combat is a little difficult to get used too at first but this is the only initial hurdle, unlike most RPG's out there this is actually challenging and you feel as if you accomplished something after a difficult fight because it takes skill to win. (your not just guzzling down healthA very good RPG with an excellent story, I found myself as drawn in as with the first Witcher game. The combat is a little difficult to get used too at first but this is the only initial hurdle, unlike most RPG's out there this is actually challenging and you feel as if you accomplished something after a difficult fight because it takes skill to win. (your not just guzzling down health potions like 'some' unimaginative rpg's) It is at times dark and gritty, and I love it that way. You feel a part of the story. Expand
  4. May 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The witcher 2 is great, the graphics are the best that I have ever seen in an rpg, the story is great and most of the characters have a personality. Without a doubt this game is light years ahead of that gimmick of an rpg called dragon age 2.
    But the game isn't without its flaws like most of the people seem to describe it here. The ui is very clunky for a keyboard + mouse user, we cannot rebind many of the functions like a way to switch signs fast without using the quick menu, instead we are either forced to use the slow "quick" menu or use the next sign function. (which is far from efficient when we have to hit it 4 times to get to the sign we want and horror if we hit it 5x by mistake we have to do it all again). We can also bind some direct cast key for the signs but that isn't efficient either.
    Another flaw is the inventory system without any way to store our items like in the witcher 1 where we could store our items at the inn.
    My biggest problem is with the game length though. The game is about half the length of the witcher 1 and I have personally finished the game doing all the possible sidequest with the plot I had chosen in about 25 hours. This is a huge letdown when we see how great the chapter 1 and 2 are and when we expect the game to get even better on chapter 3, we just meet an abrupt and rushed ending there. I feel that there should have been at least 2 more chapters with as much content as in chapter 1 and 2.
  5. May 21, 2011
    One of the greatest RPGs of this year so far, Great storyline and good use of decisions to affect the outcome of certain effects, Excellent beautiful graphics and memorable characters, Good side quests keeps things interesting and a good selection of weapons and armor.
  6. May 21, 2011
    I beat the game and i have to say that this game WAS amazing, up until part 3. RED did well on making the game, but 16 endings is a little too much i think. If any one of you think that after u finish exploring the city you go to after chapter 1 (Futsome or something like that, i forgot) that is the only unique city you going to go to in your playthrough. Right after that, you don't goI beat the game and i have to say that this game WAS amazing, up until part 3. RED did well on making the game, but 16 endings is a little too much i think. If any one of you think that after u finish exploring the city you go to after chapter 1 (Futsome or something like that, i forgot) that is the only unique city you going to go to in your playthrough. Right after that, you don't go to any other city, instead, u go to the Gathering and end the story. There is no sense of epicness at all, where something big happens, you pretty much go straight to chapter 3, the shortest chapter, around 2 hours long. It seem like they focus their energy on Chapter 1, then they make 16 otehr places you can go to in chapter 2. At first i think u will play all the places and finally go to chapter 3, nope, you only get to do one land per playthrough. it is pretty, pretty sad. Right now this game will be among the greats, but after a week or two, when people start beating the game, you will start seeing it fall down and down, probably to among the 7-8s. Expand
  7. May 22, 2011
    Just completed the game and The Assassin of Kings has pretty much blown me away.

It looks like CD Projekt took the complaints about the first Witchers pace in the opening chapters to heart. From stomping around the outskirts of Vizima and running errands for the locals to taking part in the end-game of a siege and invading a castle as part of Foltest's army. Even the prologue is simply epic. There's definitely a flair for the cinematic in this game that was missing from the first, the animators and character designers really did a great job.

The combat system is easily one of the best yet out of any action rpg's I've played over the years. Aesthetically speaking this game is such a monstrous leap in quality over the first it's damned near absurd. The character models, the environments, the effects, the texture work, it's all so damned pretty. CD Projekt worked their asses off on this game and it shows. This game looks like it's something special. I wish every game had this much of detail.

It's running great even on lower end machines. There seems to be a bug with some drivers though, so if you are a nvdia user install the latest beta drivers WITHOUT the 3D drivers. Also don't activate ubersampling. It will bring even the beefiest system to it's knees.
  8. rov
    May 22, 2011
    Thank you CD Project RED for making an RPG just the way I like it: immersive, beautiful, and challenging. It is clearly the product of people with love for the genre. For any RPG fan out there: don't just sit there. Buy it. Now.
  9. May 22, 2011
    this game, is an amazing labor of love and I have not have that rpg-ish feeling since Ultima days(yes I played all recent rpgs). Back when Origin was the king of 'creating worlds', was superseded by Bioware, and now simply pwned by CDP. I hope CPD seeings that their efforts have paid off and continue making games of this caliber, the fans are all behind you!

as for Dragon Age 2, well

as for Dragon Age 2, well thats passe, you could read that lengthy interview by devs supporting DA2 decision again and its just all lies....they just lazy, ie fans will not buy DA3 on blind faith. However more interestingly is how Skyrim will turn out. Skyrim train is already in motion, so the milliion dollar question is did Skyrim dev pull a 'lets just better DA2 by abit, stupid fans will still buy it' or 'LETS MAKE A REAL RPG!'.

good times indeed for RPG fans.
  10. May 22, 2011
    This game went from my favourite to my least favourite game. I played through it thinking there would be a massive battle near the end, but instead you get the 'to be continued' feeling you get from crap tv shows. The only difference, is that with a game you have to wait years rather than days for the continuation. (My review gets better) This was a amazingly good game, don't getThis game went from my favourite to my least favourite game. I played through it thinking there would be a massive battle near the end, but instead you get the 'to be continued' feeling you get from crap tv shows. The only difference, is that with a game you have to wait years rather than days for the continuation. (My review gets better) This was a amazingly good game, don't get me wrong (that's why i still gave it a 9/10): The graphics were rich and colourful, the characters were well developed and intriguing, the voice acting was above decent, the combat system was fun but sometimes a bit glitchy, the storyline was a bit hard to follow, but in no doubt very advanced and deep. I found the tutorials to move a bit quickly, so i had to google how to use mutagens, potions, etc. During dialogue, i found that characters would use the same hand motions each time you would talk to them. Over all, this game is godly, and you should buy it whenever you get the chance (or wait till the third comes out, then play them all in sequence). I do feel like the last several days of mine were wasted however, trying to achieve a goal that didn't even exist. I give 9/10 for the most addictive game of all time, with market-leading graphics that are very memorable. Expand
  11. May 22, 2011
    Quite simply the best, most mature and addictive RPG to date. Don't let yourself be discouraged by the overly difficult and action-oriented tutorial (I was seriously tempted to quit, thinking it was not for me - and am I ever glad I didn't), as soon as the game really starts the Witcher 2 shows what it's made of. Breathtaking graphics and beautiful level design meet an intriguing andQuite simply the best, most mature and addictive RPG to date. Don't let yourself be discouraged by the overly difficult and action-oriented tutorial (I was seriously tempted to quit, thinking it was not for me - and am I ever glad I didn't), as soon as the game really starts the Witcher 2 shows what it's made of. Breathtaking graphics and beautiful level design meet an intriguing and complex story with lots of tough choices and unexpected twists as well as a addictive game mechanics. If you can play only one RPG this year (or - I think it's safe to say - the next) make it The Witcher 2. Expand
  12. May 22, 2011
    A few nitpicks aside this is easily one of the best games let alone rpg's of this gaming generation. Great graphics and presentation(make sure you bring a monster rig if you plan to "MAX" it). Good controls and combat mechanics allowing you play with multiple styles and use several types of weapons tho be warned the game doesnt do a great job in teaching these to the player so expect aA few nitpicks aside this is easily one of the best games let alone rpg's of this gaming generation. Great graphics and presentation(make sure you bring a monster rig if you plan to "MAX" it). Good controls and combat mechanics allowing you play with multiple styles and use several types of weapons tho be warned the game doesnt do a great job in teaching these to the player so expect a trial by fire beginning. Great characters with good writing, voice acting and some of the best choice/consequence gameplay in the industry. Refreshingly mature tone that treats the gamer like an adult and doesnt constantly hold your hand. A good 25-35hour singleplayer with nice replay value. The only reason i didnt give it a 10 is because of the last 1/5 of the game in which it feels a bit rushed. Its not horrible, but it should have been fleshed out much better. Expand
  13. May 23, 2011
    The Witcher 2 shows us how overrated some of the other so called 10/10 games are. Truly great game in all areas, the combat is really hard but once you get the hand of it you will really enjoy it and the graphics are the best in RPG History, truly mind-blowing and a great demonstration why we need new consoles already to play games like The Witcher 2 which can only be fully experienced onThe Witcher 2 shows us how overrated some of the other so called 10/10 games are. Truly great game in all areas, the combat is really hard but once you get the hand of it you will really enjoy it and the graphics are the best in RPG History, truly mind-blowing and a great demonstration why we need new consoles already to play games like The Witcher 2 which can only be fully experienced on a powerful PC. Expand
  14. May 23, 2011
    It's a good game, much better than Dragon Crap 2. The Combat has a learning curve and go's from hard to too easy later in the game. The graphics and aesthetics are great. The story is great, and the combat can be great. It's nice to play a game where you are not in the same town the entire game with recycled stages and horrible graphics.
  15. May 24, 2011
    Quality game. Has it flaws, but idea and story is refreshing. The wither's 1 plot was a bit unconvincing, there were good dialogues, and characters but in sequel they developers made huge step towards greatness. For me the best of fantasy RPG since Planescape: Torment.

I give it 9, (although it deserves 9.5)
  16. May 24, 2011
    I can't say yet whether it's GOTY material but it is certainly one of the best games I've played this year. The graphics are beautiful and the characters were engaging. The combat is a bit challenging and the prologue can get a bit overwhelming for players not used to the Witcher world. The best part about the game is the re-playability factor because different choices you make will exposeI can't say yet whether it's GOTY material but it is certainly one of the best games I've played this year. The graphics are beautiful and the characters were engaging. The combat is a bit challenging and the prologue can get a bit overwhelming for players not used to the Witcher world. The best part about the game is the re-playability factor because different choices you make will expose you to a different environment altogether. I'm already about to start with my second play-through. The DRM-free and free DLCs of the game is also a big plus in my book! :) Expand
  17. May 25, 2011
    One of the best Games EVER.
    If your a fan of a good RPG this game is worth a 10/10 - for amazing storyline, great characters and stunning visuals not to mention music. You can not miss this game - it is made with love and passion for us players, like a good book it's rich and deep and ending is leaving us awaiting and begging for more to come.
  18. May 25, 2011
    This is simply one of the best games I ever played, definitely best RPG. DA2 is like a watered down compared to this. A definite must buy for RPG fans.
  19. May 25, 2011
    Brilliant game after the disappointment of Dragon Age 2. An involved Story with memorable characters, stunning graphics and an immersive world where the residents actually feel alive. The combat takes some getting used to and makes you plan for encounters before jumping in.

Not a fan of the 'quick time events' particularly and would recommend a thorough read of the manual before playing. The standard premium edition box makes a pleasant change from the usual crappy standard plastic DVD case and disc and represents brilliant value for money.

I'm already looking forward to the next game
  20. May 28, 2011
    Definitely a good game, with absorbing story, loads of humor and quite challenging action fights. The choices were not as complex as advertised, but I had expected that. The biggest drawback is length. It took me about 25 hours to finish this game, which is rather small amount of time for RPG. You can say almost half of the game differs according to one of your decisions, but it is stillDefinitely a good game, with absorbing story, loads of humor and quite challenging action fights. The choices were not as complex as advertised, but I had expected that. The biggest drawback is length. It took me about 25 hours to finish this game, which is rather small amount of time for RPG. You can say almost half of the game differs according to one of your decisions, but it is still disappointing. Expand
  21. May 28, 2011
    ALMOST GAME OF THE YEAR but MOST DEFINITELY(for now, until Skyrim and Deus Ex come out since they are possible contenders as well) BEST RPG this year and many more before it.

I'll apologize in advance to my constant debunking and referencing DA2 since it's a good game to compare TW2 with, at least in the sense that it succeeds in many aspects DA2 failed to deliver in. And I am putting it mildly since DA2 disappointed me more than any other game to date.

To be perfectly honest, I love rpgs, play them hell out of them.. from JRPGs like SMT, persona series, tales series to final fantasy. Betheseda's oblivion, fallout and all of Bioware's games.

Long story short, I LOVE rpgs and I've been in love with them since I was a child. I love complex mechanics, deep gameplay, challenges and character progression, and similarly I adore strong stories with plenty of momentum. And recently, with the recent trend in western rpgs, a large element of choice and moral ambiguity, with the repercussions that follow. And to be perfectly honest TW2 surpassed every expectation.

To be honest, when I first heard about it, I didn't give it much thought, DA2 was over the horizon and I was expecting it with bated breath following DAO, which was a strong(though flawed) successor to Baldur's Gate. Though, following the string(and a very long one at that) of disappointments with DA2, and the incredibly bad taste in my mouth after playing through it, I started to look hopefully towards TW2.

To start off with, the graphics are the BEST graphics you'll ever see in any rpg. Though true, most RPGs tend to have weak graphics to begin with, TW2 actually outshines many games with the high level textures, dynamic shadows, SSAO and a myriad of other lightning, rendering and processing effects that truly make the game shine.

Furthermore, the design of the areas and locations is very well done and you can see the amount of work done to make it that way. As you walk through forests, you can see lots of bushes, foliage and grass tucking in and out around the pathways or the trees in the distance with sordid detail. Unlike other RPGs like DA2, where the areas are dull, bland with flat terrains, without anything but dirt moss textures under them. The terrain and environment in TW2 features an attention to detail that is difficult to find in many games and this is one of the main reasons it can be very immersive.

Next up, the combat is fun and engaging, FAR from perfect though, mainly due to technical issues. The developers took inspiration from Demon's Souls, which means enemies hurt, with even meager enemies being able to destroy you if you get surrounded and they all attack at once. Unlike games like Assassin's Creed, enemies don't wait while you hack down their companions, they attack and don't mind interrupting you. This could get very frustrating combined with the poor targeting system and technical drawbacks

:for some users, there is input lag, which accompanies the performance issues, especially on ATI cards for the moment, then sometimes there is a delay between actions that hav random durations, implying that there may be problems with the combat engine. Though I haven't experienced either of these myself, it is worth noting.

Though moving past it, the combat is deeply satisfying with the hits really really feeling powerful(unlike in DA2, where on harder difficulties, you can thwack enemies with POWERFUL looking hits while taking out.. .1% of their lifebar?) while looking very majestic(think Assassin's Creed in a way). Also, the game provides many ways to tackle your foes. From using the magic to rain death on enemies, to swords, to blasting opponents to hell with an arsenal of bombs and traps as you fight a war of attrition against your foes.

The story is also well done, though it isn't brilliant. It'll be hard getting all the references, nods and such to the original game as well as some plot points. Though it plays its cards well, wherein you aren't a hero, just an apparently special Witcher that is trying to regain his memory and clear his name. The real shining point in this game however is the depth in the choices you make. Geralt is, for the most part, who you want him to be. And it's much deeper than Dragon Age 2, with some key decisions made in the first Act changing everything about how you'll trudge through the next few, changing allegiances, characters and entire quest lines. Also, the sidequests don't feel like boring fetch quests like DA2 with rehashed dungeons(4 times or more), they feel more significant(like a self contained story), with many being morally ambiguous, with some spanning more than one chapter. And there are also many ways to finish a quest, which is a refreshing change of pace.

Though I could elaborate more, I think it would suffice to say that TW2 is certainly one of the best RPGs out there and it's a real MUST buy
  22. May 28, 2011
    The games combat system is hard to get a good grip on and besides the elegant graphics its hard to say any form of fighting is enjoyable. While the game looks nice, very nice, the story alas does not live up to that of witcher 1, it is bogged down by bad plot and rushed feelings. It just feels like they tried to upgrade the first one and make it more interactive but the game starts out tooThe games combat system is hard to get a good grip on and besides the elegant graphics its hard to say any form of fighting is enjoyable. While the game looks nice, very nice, the story alas does not live up to that of witcher 1, it is bogged down by bad plot and rushed feelings. It just feels like they tried to upgrade the first one and make it more interactive but the game starts out too rough and ends too soft giving the wrong effect and overall losing my enjoyment. Expand
  23. May 29, 2011
    I don't see what all the hype is about. I pre-ordered in an instant thinking it would be great. I so wish I could have my money back. First of all the difficulty spikes are totally unbalanced and frustrating. Second the game is not a free exploration RPG - it's a linear rat maze. Third, the combat feels clunky - dodge, mouse click - dodge mouse click. I won't even go into the frustratingI don't see what all the hype is about. I pre-ordered in an instant thinking it would be great. I so wish I could have my money back. First of all the difficulty spikes are totally unbalanced and frustrating. Second the game is not a free exploration RPG - it's a linear rat maze. Third, the combat feels clunky - dodge, mouse click - dodge mouse click. I won't even go into the frustrating boss battles - seriously are we still doing frustrating boss battles in what is supposed to be an epic RPG? Don't get me wrong - I like a well constucted boss battle but not this type of annoying fail and repeat until you get just the right dodge and swing. Are we playing mario brothers or something???? The interface is functional but so many times it seemed to get in the way of gameplay. Also what is up with not letting PC users re-map to the keys we like to use???? It let me re-map a few keys but the important keys I use it would not let me re-map too. I will regretfully be uninstalling. I so thought I had learned my lesson not to pre-order too early. Expand
  24. May 30, 2011
    Great game! It is something more than the usual RPG.
    I recommend to all who are looking for unforgettable entertainment. Beautiful graphics, interesting story, exciting combat. Sometimes I forget that this is a game. :) Maybe too short. But ... has 16 endings.
    My rating 9.5 -10.
  25. Jun 1, 2011
    Really a fantastic game. Once you get first chapter, and you've got the hang of the combat, the game is just as engaging as Mass Effect 2. As long as you have the PC to run it, buy this game.
  26. Jun 2, 2011
    We are living in a world in which when you are a rookie game developer company and you want to make a project that will be a hit, you must come up with a really good and original idea. CD project Red did exactly this with The witcher; A hardcore pc RPG tittle that was clearly unique in terms of story and gameplay options. The success of TW1 led cd project red into making a second game ofWe are living in a world in which when you are a rookie game developer company and you want to make a project that will be a hit, you must come up with a really good and original idea. CD project Red did exactly this with The witcher; A hardcore pc RPG tittle that was clearly unique in terms of story and gameplay options. The success of TW1 led cd project red into making a second game of the witcher concept in which they experimented even more using their own brand new game engine-an utter fail. The graphics may be brilliant, but the really -REALLY bad combat system blows away one fo the most important rpg element - the battle strategy planning. If you want to play a good action-adventure game TW2 wil satisfy you. But if you want to play a deserving sequel to The Witcher you will taste disappointment. It just lacks the magic of the original. Expand
  27. Jun 3, 2011
    I think this game is extremely overrated and required at least 6 months of added development time in order to polish (pun not intended) some issues and bugs which deter the whole experience...sure the world is beautiful and the story interesting but the game has control and AI issues hindering gameplay...I mean...design choices such as: only one person can go through a door at a time...orI think this game is extremely overrated and required at least 6 months of added development time in order to polish (pun not intended) some issues and bugs which deter the whole experience...sure the world is beautiful and the story interesting but the game has control and AI issues hindering gameplay...I mean...design choices such as: only one person can go through a door at a time...or you can only drink potions while meditating (having to go through menus and choices) and not during fights...I just don't understand these...also some people call this game an RPG...I don't see this..this is an action adventure...you can't design your character, abilities are limited and given from the start, quests are small, dungeons are tiny...I don't think you can even begin to compare this game to epics such as DA:O...finally there are no tactics during combat...you can beat every opponent with the same move..dodge and attack...the boss fights are well done but personally I just don't like quick time events...just pressing one button to complete an elaborate action sequence?! kills the atmosphere...mini games suck and are pretty pointless you'll have seen them all within 3 hours of gameplay...also some quests are just confusing...where you are left clueless wondering what to do or where to go next...this game is just mediocre...but if they ever get a Witcher 3 out..I this that one is going to be pretty good! Expand
  28. Jun 3, 2011
    >It's an RPG without stupid looking armor and sword floating on your back
    >Non Linear your Act 2 will be completely different depending on your choice in Act 1 new map quests
    >Dynamic Lighting, Extremely detailed Textures
    >Story and choices are gray meaning not Good Vs. Evil
    >The game doesn't hold your hand like a child
    >Combat is challenging
  29. Jun 6, 2011
    I would give it a 9.5 if it were possible, but it's not worth a 9. Witcher 2 is an amazing rpg, though it does have minor flaws that disrupt the almost-seamless world and character animation. Graphics are out of this world--hot! PC game companies sharing the industry with console better beware, Witcher 2 is PC-made first (though will be on console later), and it is striking. TheI would give it a 9.5 if it were possible, but it's not worth a 9. Witcher 2 is an amazing rpg, though it does have minor flaws that disrupt the almost-seamless world and character animation. Graphics are out of this world--hot! PC game companies sharing the industry with console better beware, Witcher 2 is PC-made first (though will be on console later), and it is striking. The atmosphere of the world is as addicting as Metro 2033, questing is fun, and the story is exciting. Definitely try this game! Expand
  30. Jun 7, 2011
    I've been really impressed with this game. Unfortunately, I have not played the first part, and after the epic fail of DA2, I don't expect too much, but it appears that the game is interesting, beautiful and it is really RPG with carefully considered and worked out world. I hope it'll be the game of the year.
  31. Jun 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. very good maded history, there is some technical bugs like a thievery the houses, high rigs requirements, no possibility to drink mixtures durring fight so you have to be prepared for all the time , poor equipment, no tutorial so for me it was annoying think to have full equip and dont know how to use it, specially mixtures, very hard fight against many even week enemies, etc... but the story and great music compensate thoose thinks, ANYWAY it was so close to made PERFECT GAME..... Expand
  32. Jun 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent game, one of the best i've already played, explendid graphics, easy gameplay, and also the characterization of each character, good repertoire of questions and answers, considerable difficulties with enemies and the bosses, too. engaging story and well-distributed. Im my opinion The Witcher 2 will be on the top 3 rpg's of the year Expand
  33. Jun 12, 2011
    The witcher 2 is certainly a great improvement and worthy sequel of the original game. There really isn't much to say that hasn't already be said. Visually (if your PC can handle it) it's one of the most beautiful game I've seen for awhile. As for the gameplay itself, there is a learning curve in the beginning, but it would only get easier. I for one enjoy the difficultly of the gameThe witcher 2 is certainly a great improvement and worthy sequel of the original game. There really isn't much to say that hasn't already be said. Visually (if your PC can handle it) it's one of the most beautiful game I've seen for awhile. As for the gameplay itself, there is a learning curve in the beginning, but it would only get easier. I for one enjoy the difficultly of the game because it require you to think and be wary of your actions. Simply put, this isn't Star Wars force unleash where you can dive into 50 enemies and comes out unscratched. For those new to RPG, I recommend turning down the difficulty but trust me, that in the end you will actually feel a sense of accomplishment. The only bones I have to pick with this game is of the story narration. If you're not familiar with the background story, even if you played the original game you would feel lost often because there are simply just too many names being thrown around. I had to read up on wiki and play the game a few times just to understand everything involve. The gameplay itself isn't perfect either. When in battle, sometimes it's very difficult to target a single enemy even if you lock on them. Also, the inventory interface is just too clunky and should be sorted better. If you picked up too many items, especially junk item, it's a pain to find it in your inventory to sell/drop them. Overall despite some of these problems, it does not take much away from how good the game is. I will not spoil anything but this is one of the few games that requires multiple play-through to fully enjoy everything the developers have put into it. In conclusion, this is a must buy RPG game. Expand
  34. Jun 14, 2011
    Excellent graphics , terrible combat . I was looking forward to this , hoping combat will be better , as I remember the awful witcher 1 controls . There is an illusion of open space , but the game is always played in narrow spaces . I hated the minigames also , they lack purpose , and kill immersion . Atmosphere is ruined by its many flaws , and all that is left is great visuals . NotExcellent graphics , terrible combat . I was looking forward to this , hoping combat will be better , as I remember the awful witcher 1 controls . There is an illusion of open space , but the game is always played in narrow spaces . I hated the minigames also , they lack purpose , and kill immersion . Atmosphere is ruined by its many flaws , and all that is left is great visuals . Not recommended . Expand
  35. Jun 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great adult-themed story. Deep and memorable characters. Meaningful choice and consequence options. Interesting and challenging combat and character development. Tons of replay value. Perfect score and voice acting.

Patch 1.2 solves most of keyboards responsivness during combat and quickitem slots problems.

Eager to see some DLC that continues the story.
  36. Jun 19, 2011
    One of the best RPG of the decade. Keep in mind that I don not have a powerful pc. But I was able to play smooth for almost all the time. Good work CDPPR!
  37. Apr 20, 2012
    Absorbing, dynamic, witty dialogs, gripping, multithreaded story, non-linear quests, absolutely stunning graphics, variegated main characters, great cut-scenes, pretty opening and ending, adequate music, setting based on the series of great novels, completely free DLCs and enhancements, energetic, tactical fighting system and several annoying bugs. Eventually, one of the best role-playingAbsorbing, dynamic, witty dialogs, gripping, multithreaded story, non-linear quests, absolutely stunning graphics, variegated main characters, great cut-scenes, pretty opening and ending, adequate music, setting based on the series of great novels, completely free DLCs and enhancements, energetic, tactical fighting system and several annoying bugs. Eventually, one of the best role-playing games ever made! Expand
  38. Jun 23, 2011
    How should I say it? The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings has an excellent story line. The graphics are good, and the character development is phenomenal. However the game seems a bit incomplete. After about 2 hours of playing the game, the one thing that bothered me most was the combat system. The Witcher 2 went for an Assassin's Creed style of Combat. The only problem is that instead ofHow should I say it? The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings has an excellent story line. The graphics are good, and the character development is phenomenal. However the game seems a bit incomplete. After about 2 hours of playing the game, the one thing that bothered me most was the combat system. The Witcher 2 went for an Assassin's Creed style of Combat. The only problem is that instead of dancing with beautiful combat movements finishing enemy after enemy in awesome combos, you are 70% of the time dodging, waiting, and running around until your energy to replenises for your next spell. This totally kills the flow of combat. After playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, the Witcher 2 seems like a major step down in terms of combat. Another thing that bothers me is the Tutorial. Sure it might be fine for veterans of the game, but I can help but mourn for any newcomers who start off utterly confused with the mechanics and interface from the very start. The Witcher 2 has simply a very steep learning curve. 10/10 Storyline, Graphics. 5/10 for Combat. Expand
  39. Oct 15, 2011
    I played the first Witcher for a bit. Liked it, but it didn't have enough to see me through to the end. For me though, Witcher 2 is a different thing. The story and the world is so complete, it is like playing an adventure game, but instead of solving puzzles to get to the next chapter you need to go through some challenging real time combat.

The hero is not a one dimensional RPG hero. It

The hero is not a one dimensional RPG hero. It becomes apparent that the Witcher is a part of the human comedy. Waking up on the river bank after a night drinking with the soldiers, you have been stripped of your possessions and you cant remember anything. You have to pay a visit to the madam at the brothel to find out what you were trying to do with her whores. As you are walking out you hear "Punch his lights out!" from the fistfight in the corner of the inn. As you climb the stairs, someone is vomiting into a tub. One of the professional reviewers mentioned it is a game best played slowly. It is indeed, I savored every moment.
  40. Jun 24, 2011
    one of the best games i've played in a very long time.
    this in ways reminds me of the original fable, which is one of my all time favourites. the world is not open by any means, but almost feels as though it is. the storyline is amazing, and it's told in such a great way.
    one of the best games i've played in a very long time.
    the characters are faultless, i love the dwarves. the minigames are alright too, dice poker, boxing and arm wrestling. a little bit on the easy side. but the ultimate freedom to choose, and have your decisions influence the story's progression is excellent. love the combat system. this wont get GOTY because of battlefield 3 and mw3 being released in october/november. but it really should.

as far as rpg's go, this is one of the best
  41. Jun 25, 2011
    I don't even know how long I have waited to play this game and I have not been disappointed. It's different to 1, and I still remember everything from 1 it was that epic. I have had to really play again, its the days of old where a game punished you for getting it wrong. I had to prove I can play to get further. The storyline is epic and minor issues I have are minor, the overallI don't even know how long I have waited to play this game and I have not been disappointed. It's different to 1, and I still remember everything from 1 it was that epic. I have had to really play again, its the days of old where a game punished you for getting it wrong. I had to prove I can play to get further. The storyline is epic and minor issues I have are minor, the overall experiance has been awesome just like witcher 1. Expand
  42. Jun 28, 2011
    Miles above from DA2 and the few other new released RPGs, this game is what i call a worthy RPG demigod. Storyline feels as solid as the first if better and the depth has been driven further in making sure that you feel that you are really playing every part possible in char development. I tried DA2 and got bored in like 5 hours, this one i have already filled up 20 hours, i am taking myMiles above from DA2 and the few other new released RPGs, this game is what i call a worthy RPG demigod. Storyline feels as solid as the first if better and the depth has been driven further in making sure that you feel that you are really playing every part possible in char development. I tried DA2 and got bored in like 5 hours, this one i have already filled up 20 hours, i am taking my time in working my way through this one. Money well spent. Expand
  43. Jun 28, 2011
    With amazing graphics and fluid gameplay, I am glad to have bought this one. As a fan of the first game, i was very excited to see this in the coming. I pre-ordered it the day that it was announced. The story here is one that will be remembered through gaming history. This could easily be game of the year, or best RPG of 2011. I implore those who love long adventures and greatWith amazing graphics and fluid gameplay, I am glad to have bought this one. As a fan of the first game, i was very excited to see this in the coming. I pre-ordered it the day that it was announced. The story here is one that will be remembered through gaming history. This could easily be game of the year, or best RPG of 2011. I implore those who love long adventures and great gameplay to pick this one up. Expand
  44. Jun 28, 2011
    An amazing piece of fantasy RPG art. Visually stunning, engaging combat, a fair amount of area to explore and a strong visceral atmosphere. Easily the best Fantasy RPG out this year if not since Oblivion. From looking at the bad user reviews (as there really are not any scathing critic reviews) most of these folks probably couldn't handle the challange of the game. For the first time inAn amazing piece of fantasy RPG art. Visually stunning, engaging combat, a fair amount of area to explore and a strong visceral atmosphere. Easily the best Fantasy RPG out this year if not since Oblivion. From looking at the bad user reviews (as there really are not any scathing critic reviews) most of these folks probably couldn't handle the challange of the game. For the first time in quite a while I found myself actually challanged by the quests and some of the bigger boss fights. Occasionally you have to search around to find quest solutions i.e. there isn't a stupid arrow on your map or god-forbid a golden trail and the more significant boss fights require preparation and strategy. This game stands out as a solid PC game that for me at least doesn't feel like a console port, which many recent games have. Highly recommended if you are a fan of the genre at all. Expand
  45. Jun 30, 2011
    Though I had some difficulties with the first part of witcher, which resulted in not finishing it, I still can say that it was an above average game. However the situation changes drastically with the second installation of the game. Witcher 2 is a superb game in every aspect. Storytelling, Music, Atmosphere, Characters (I won't say that they are the greatest I have ever encountered butThough I had some difficulties with the first part of witcher, which resulted in not finishing it, I still can say that it was an above average game. However the situation changes drastically with the second installation of the game. Witcher 2 is a superb game in every aspect. Storytelling, Music, Atmosphere, Characters (I won't say that they are the greatest I have ever encountered but they certainly are enjoyable and at least i can remember there names, which is not the case with all RPG games). I played this game on lower medium (or even minimum) setting but still found it highly enjoyable, I cannot but envy those who will go through this game on maximum settings. Though I highly enjoyed this game, it goes without saying that there are downturn as well. there are some technical glitches, which i believe can be fixed by patches ( I read that if you have steam account 9 GB, yes 9 GB of patches are available for you). Another problem for me was that, though as mentioned above I enjoyed story I did feel that I was not getting the whole picture all the time, there were to many names, to many kingdoms to whose background I was not introduced, but it did felt me with desire to read books and to get stronger grasp on the world of Andrzej Sapkowski. Expand
  46. Jul 1, 2011
    This game has been done perfectly. I love every aspect of this game including the graphics and controls. Well thought out by the makers. I totally recommend this game even at a 49.99 price tag. You will not be disappointed. This game should get the Game of the year award. They have seriously done their work and made the game correctly.
  47. Nov 6, 2011
    This game is really great.I'm a fan of RPGs and I am delighted that I had the opportunity to play the witcher.Witcher 2:Assassin of Kings is amazing!Witcher 2 is an epic adventure with a beautiful, modern graphics.Graphics, which crushes other RPGs.This is an absolute favorite game of 2011.I highly recommend The Witcher.
  48. Jul 7, 2011
    The Witcher 2 presents a strong story and is wrought with opportunities to make choices that deeply impact the gameworld. However I feel that the gameplay has several flaws. It was an improvement over the first game which had a rhythm based combat system, but didn't take it all of the way. Drinking potions only during meditation was silly, also potions were far less useful. The difficultyThe Witcher 2 presents a strong story and is wrought with opportunities to make choices that deeply impact the gameworld. However I feel that the gameplay has several flaws. It was an improvement over the first game which had a rhythm based combat system, but didn't take it all of the way. Drinking potions only during meditation was silly, also potions were far less useful. The difficulty standards of the game start very, very high but the game becomes easy a little more than halfway through, even on hard. Fortunately for all of the flaws, the gameplay remains fairly fun. I think that hard difficulty should have disabled combat rolling. There are a few sequences when it is disabled and they show that it would've fixed most of the issues with difficulty curve. Another issue I had was the story seems to taper off much too quickly which was the opposite problem of the first game which was long, but for all of the wrong reasons. I feel like there should have been one more chapter.

But even with those issues it blows any and all contemporary competition out of the water as a ROLE PLAYING game. The world of the Witcher is the most immersive I've experienced since the first two Fallout games. The characters are great and memorable, the environments are visceral and memorable, and the graphics are great. But more importantly the art and area design makes the graphics shine even more brightly, producing a visual experience that is clearly second to none. Easily a 9/10, certainly should be up for GOTY, certainly WILL be RPG of the year.
  49. Jul 11, 2011
    Phenomenal! In my opinion one of best RPGs ever. After the first Witcher, I was afraid that CD Project, will listen to voices calling to make game more suitable for younger audience. To soften language and make Gerald's actions less violent. Yes, there were such opinions, even press articles (of course, it was not gaming press).
    Praise the heavens, CDP stayed the course. Geralt is exactly
    Praise the heavens, CDP stayed the course. Geralt is exactly how he should be. At the beginning, the game seemed to me to be too short, but after finishing it for the second time, immediately after doing it for the first time, I don't have this feeling anymore.
  50. Jul 18, 2011
    Contrary to popular belief, this game isn't actually the best thing since sliced bread. Though, yes, it is a good game. Its visuals are, especially compared to its competitors, stunning. The story is gripping, and will make you want continue playing - if only the gameplay will allow it.

It is the gameplay that's the real problem of this game, and which will at times leave you frustrated. Some people say that the Witcher 2 is too hard, too difficult. It's really not; it's not so much difficult as it is tedious. Combat situations have to be resolved exactly in a certain way - or you'll die a horrible death.

Without spoiling too much; the first large boss you'll encounter will require you to do do the same combat maneuver three times, after which you are forced to slam whatever button appears on your screen, after which you're left to find the one spot where you won't be killed [without there being a clue where this spot is, though I believe they are planning to fix this].

More generally, the combat never gets really challenging; it's the same duck, roll, attack from behind throughout the game in order to defeat your foes. There are spells, but more often than not you'll be wearing your shield spell, which in turn prevents you from using your other spells too much.

All in all this is a good game, but it's not as great as some people make it out to be. While you may want to keep playing in order to see how the story will unfold, the gameplay will more often than not make you search the web frantically for game guides, so that you'll know what maneuver to use on the next boss, or worse it might make you feel like you just need a break from it. And this is the problem for me; no good game should ever make you feel that you need a break from it.
  51. Jul 20, 2011
    The only reason I considered giving this game any points were its incredible graphics but that's about it. The lack-luster combat of this game killed this game for me. Luckily I was able to check this game out at a friends place so didn't had to spend any money. I have so many other games to try that I usually move on if the game doesn't hook me from the onset. Witcher 1 hooked me rightThe only reason I considered giving this game any points were its incredible graphics but that's about it. The lack-luster combat of this game killed this game for me. Luckily I was able to check this game out at a friends place so didn't had to spend any money. I have so many other games to try that I usually move on if the game doesn't hook me from the onset. Witcher 1 hooked me right from the prologue and I really liked its more simplistic and fun combat. Witcher 2 combat just didn't grip me atall. Geralt has went from a master swordsman to a novice it seems, rolling, avoiding attacks, parry, have to be using signs, no auto-target; basically getting his behind kicked most of the times. Combat is as essential element for me (perhaps even more) as story and graphics. So the boring, somewhat hard and poor combat system was the end of Witcher 2 for me. I guess people prefer this complexity in fights I surely don't so I moved on. Hopefully Witcher 3 will have a better combat system that appeals to a broader audience. Expand
  52. Oct 12, 2011
    This was an unbelievably sweet game from start to sequel point! I'm one too wait patiantly for good expansion's to arrive! But with downloading the 2.0 patch after already completing; I think now I'm going to do some personal Investigating....
  53. Aug 2, 2011
    Great game, one of the best of the year. Excellent graphics and visuals, good story and excellent atmosphere. The game play is very good and after a while you forget you are even playing a game. Choices in the game will effect the overall experience and enhance the replay value. Also; it is nice to see more non linear games coming out.
  54. Aug 3, 2011
    i have to say im very disappointed with this game. it prides itself on lots of choices and plot strands, but thats all there is. the acting is hammy, the fighting is repetitive, and all the bad language and nudity in the world wont make up for that. i really tried to like this game, but it got to the point were i didnt care at all what happend and felt no reason to keep playing...
  55. Aug 12, 2011
    Compelling story and incredible visuals marred by buggy combat mechanics and tedious quests. There's no denying that the Witcher 2 is one of the best looking games to date. Trees, grass, and urban textures and objects are rendered in great detail. Depth of field and lighting effects are also put to great use. The story is also quite good, allowing you to choose a morally complicated pathCompelling story and incredible visuals marred by buggy combat mechanics and tedious quests. There's no denying that the Witcher 2 is one of the best looking games to date. Trees, grass, and urban textures and objects are rendered in great detail. Depth of field and lighting effects are also put to great use. The story is also quite good, allowing you to choose a morally complicated path that appears to have real effects down the line in true Witcher style. Unfortunately the combat mechanics are incredibly buggy, which leads to lots of frustration and reloading. After several patches (up to 1.35 currently), which improved the combat from unplayable to merely terrible, the biggest issue remains sign casting. For no apparent reason, signs will often fail to cast in the middle of combat: For example, with vigor to spare, Geralt will simply stare out into space as you repeatedly hit the hotkey for Quen. Jam it enough times, though, and Geralt snaps back into action. This makes battle outcomes feel random: get lucky and signs cast on the first or second attempt and you can win easily, but if you're unlucky it's time for another reload. Beyond this, combat is okay though very imprecise and unsatisfying.

Quests, especially during the middle chapter, can be unbearably tedious. Quest indicators on the big map are buggy and sometimes direct you to the wrong location, and the big map is sometimes difficult to decipher, so you should be prepared to waste lots of time running (or rolling) around in circles, looking for some non-obvious path or fork. Also, the minimap is dark and utterly useless, so you'll be pulling up the big map every 30 seconds for a fair number of quests.

A few additional notes: the looting aspect of this game is poorly developed--the mechanic itself is awkward and there's very little incentive to pick things up and sell or use them--and equipment upgrades are pretty limited. These are defensible design choices, but they have an adverse effect on replayability.

In sum, Witcher 2 has the story and graphics to make it an excellent interactive movie, but with respect to gameplay, it leaves much to be desired.
  56. Aug 25, 2011
    Honestly one of the best RPGs i've played in the past 10 years!!! absolutely phenomenal story, pacing, characters, and the graphics are out of this world without hogging your system! i'm playing it with the latest patch (1.35) and haven't encountered any bugs so its solid.:) The first game i actually regret buying on sale cause its worth every penny @ full price! A work of artHonestly one of the best RPGs i've played in the past 10 years!!! absolutely phenomenal story, pacing, characters, and the graphics are out of this world without hogging your system! i'm playing it with the latest patch (1.35) and haven't encountered any bugs so its solid.:) The first game i actually regret buying on sale cause its worth every penny @ full price! A work of art definitely. Fromt he beginning its a AAA experience. I'm almost near the end and man its epic! Excellent job to the developers!!! Expand
  57. Aug 28, 2011
    Wow! That was the first thing I thought when I started my first play through of The Witcher 2. Going from the meh animations and graphics in The Witcher 1 to the breath taking graphics of The Witcher 2 instantly tipped me off to how great this game was going to be to play. I donâ
  58. Sep 22, 2011
    One of the best RPG games ever. Possibly the best looking game ever, with a great story and voice acting. Amazing replay value, and an improvement on the original Witcher, although its a shame it isn't longer. The last chapter is far too short. Brilliant combat system, which is easy to get the hang of. I don't understand why so many people have complained about it.
  59. Sep 28, 2011
    Bardzo dobra gra RPG. W dobrym uniwersum. Jedyne co byÅ
  60. Oct 4, 2011
    A great RPG game that is worth your money. The story is great, it looks amazing and it runs very smooth without any technical issues thanks to the never-ending support from CD Projekt RED.
  61. Oct 16, 2011
    The Wticher 2 is simply one of the best rpgs in recent history. You owe it to yourself to at least try this game! Being an independent studio (for the most part) really shows in this day and age of gaming. CD Projekt RED have separated themselves from the (albeit generally slow) pack of RPG developers, creating something heavily story driven, complimented by arguably one of the bestThe Wticher 2 is simply one of the best rpgs in recent history. You owe it to yourself to at least try this game! Being an independent studio (for the most part) really shows in this day and age of gaming. CD Projekt RED have separated themselves from the (albeit generally slow) pack of RPG developers, creating something heavily story driven, complimented by arguably one of the best fully real time battle system in an RPG, whilst still retaining all of those good ol' rpg elements of quests, crafting, etc... Oh yea, and the graphics aren't half bad either. Expand
  62. Oct 31, 2011
    The Best RPG ever! Dark and serious, completely breaking candy-fantasy style of most RPGs present on the market. Characters are real and true, with all personality aspects. Dropping idea of good vs evil for decisions and consequences is just the best what can happen to RPG game. Balance of different type of quests is a state-of-art and fighting system are demanding but not discouraging,The Best RPG ever! Dark and serious, completely breaking candy-fantasy style of most RPGs present on the market. Characters are real and true, with all personality aspects. Dropping idea of good vs evil for decisions and consequences is just the best what can happen to RPG game. Balance of different type of quests is a state-of-art and fighting system are demanding but not discouraging, one can feel like the real witcher. Graphics is just amazing. Small -1 for soundtrack, only because the first Witcher has done it better and a little bit, too short story. Great job! Expand
  63. Nov 5, 2011
    Good graphics but very buggy game overall with poor support. Game was basically unplayable and my specs/system are well above min requirements. Have been able to play other games without difficulty but this one was junk. Wait for something with less bugs.
  64. Nov 17, 2011
    This is the game of 2011, and one of the best games ever, only TW1 comes close to this miracle. This game has no flaws, I played it 8 times, and I'm itching for more.
  65. Feb 11, 2012
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a fantastic RPG Pros: -Amazing, jaw-dropping graphics (granted that you have a rig that can run it at max settings)
    -An RPG with "gray area" decision-making, no definite good, bad, neutral
    -A political, dark, mature plot -An immersive, beautiful world Cons: -A somewhat disappointing and seemingly rushed 3rd act and ending. The first two acts were,
    -An RPG with "gray area" decision-making, no definite good, bad, neutral
    -A political, dark, mature plot -An immersive, beautiful world

Cons: -A somewhat disappointing and seemingly rushed 3rd act and ending. The first two acts were, in my opinion, one of the best in RPG storytelling.
    -Gameplay that becomes much, much easier as you go farther into the game. A must buy for RPG lovers and a very high recommendation to those who show the least bit of interest in this game.
  66. Nov 21, 2011
    Never been much of a fan of fantasy settings but The Witcher 2 had me intrigued and subsequently totally won over. Now here is a fine example of great story telling and immersive gameplay paired with lush eye-candy and a haunting soundtrack. Looking forward to the next instalment once I finish with this one.
  67. Dec 1, 2011
    Absolutely astonishing. The narrative is the best I have ever seen in the RPG genre - maybe apart from the original Witcher game and a few BioWare products. The gameplay and fighting is hardcore but fun, and it's really satisfying to best the toughest opponents - even though the bosses are often comparatively easy to beat. The realistic depiction of a medieval world not filled by genericAbsolutely astonishing. The narrative is the best I have ever seen in the RPG genre - maybe apart from the original Witcher game and a few BioWare products. The gameplay and fighting is hardcore but fun, and it's really satisfying to best the toughest opponents - even though the bosses are often comparatively easy to beat. The realistic depiction of a medieval world not filled by generic NPCs, but with believable human characters, is just great. Add the breathtaking graphics and you've got yourself the RPG of the year. Sorry, Skyrim. Expand
  68. Dec 30, 2011
    Huge disappointment......

I was quite fond of the first The Witcher (2007), and had some expectations from its sequel... But the only good improvement I could find it's the faster saving!!!... Graphics - cartoonish, eye-strayingly tiresome; The main character looked better in Witcher 1, he had more distinct personality Gameplay - completely broken; interface itself makes you wanna throw
    Huge disappointment......

Graphics - cartoonish, eye-strayingly tiresome; The main character looked better in Witcher 1, he had more distinct personality Gameplay - completely broken; interface itself makes you wanna throw the game away, unintuitive inventory and skill system... Combat is unsatisfactory and, though real-time, made me prefer a good D&D instead... And considering I hate D&D...

Story/atmosphere - insipid, been there done that; no real moral choices, only the struggle for political power between different-skins-same-heart cartels... Your main character is no longer the independent, lone wolf hero with a distinct neutral alignment from part 1 in 2007. Now he is no more than the king's lackey. When his boss says : "Witcher, jump in that junk pit!", the "hero", with a placid, resigned, inexpressive countenance, responds: "Yes, Sire. How deep?" ....

Probably the main aspect that ruins this over-hyped game is its complicated, uninspired, clunky interface: the small fonts, the chaotic convoluted item/skill categories, the bleary tutorial...

This game is exactly what a true good modern game SHOULD NOT BE...
  69. And
    Jan 3, 2012
    I loved it, playing on the highest difficulty the first time (not the no-save one) and learning the game from scratch was an immensely satisfying experience, the combat is fast and fluid and you never feel like you've taken a cheap shot, it's always your own fault when you get wounded and I loved the game even more for it.

As someone who only read one book in the series (the game is based

As someone who only read one book in the series (the game is based on a series of books by a famous Polish writer A. Sapkowski) I was stunned how well portrayed the characters were.
    Story wise it follows a few of the standard western cliches but overall was quite engaging and kept me well entertained all the way through, have to commend them for the fact that they integrated the story so well with the world that no previous knowledge of witcher 1 was required to enjoy it.

In short, an extremely enjoyable game who's only flaw is the inventory system but last I heard there are mods that fix that flaw so I can only recommend this game to anyone that enjoys good RPGs.
  70. Feb 18, 2012
    The best graphics. Es un gran juego, tiene una historia adulta, y un juego como ninguno otro, te gustará mucho, pero sin duda, perdió la magia de su precuela.
  71. Apr 13, 2012
    The passion and the dedication put into The Witcher 2 is evident even in the menus and loading screens. This is a project of love from CD Prokekt RED that radiates and stands out among a mass of bland and standard RPGs. The combat is a throwback for older gamers that love slower-paced, albeit more rewarding game play. The action is constant, the adult themes are complex and appreciated,The passion and the dedication put into The Witcher 2 is evident even in the menus and loading screens. This is a project of love from CD Prokekt RED that radiates and stands out among a mass of bland and standard RPGs. The combat is a throwback for older gamers that love slower-paced, albeit more rewarding game play. The action is constant, the adult themes are complex and appreciated, and the presentation is flawless. This is one of the best looking games I've seen in years, rivaling larger AAA studios. I can't wait for the next installment. 10/10. Expand
  72. Apr 17, 2012
    Truly fantastic game. It's a shame that some people are so unfair to post "0" without any serious reason. The Witcher 2 is a feast for the eyes and for the brain. Fights are more difficult than in the first part, for the first time in ages I had to think before the battle what strategy to use. Brilliant! Everyone who don't like to fight can use "easy" and feel the wonderful world of theTruly fantastic game. It's a shame that some people are so unfair to post "0" without any serious reason. The Witcher 2 is a feast for the eyes and for the brain. Fights are more difficult than in the first part, for the first time in ages I had to think before the battle what strategy to use. Brilliant! Everyone who don't like to fight can use "easy" and feel the wonderful world of the Witcher. Buy it it's worth it. Expand
  73. Apr 24, 2012
    I have given The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings:
    A technical score of 85/100
    A personal score of 10/10

Fore more details and the full reviews, please go to the following link
  74. Apr 26, 2012
    Overall, very decent game, but it falls short on a few places, mostly when compared with Witcher 1: STORY: mostly political, with fantasy pushed aside, and for those who read the books very predictable. the big plus for the story is how it manages to be both personal for Geralt and worldly at the same time. Another plus are the decisions, which shape the story in amazing ways and matterOverall, very decent game, but it falls short on a few places, mostly when compared with Witcher 1: STORY: mostly political, with fantasy pushed aside, and for those who read the books very predictable. the big plus for the story is how it manages to be both personal for Geralt and worldly at the same time. Another plus are the decisions, which shape the story in amazing ways and matter more than in any game ever. Minus for its lenght though, very short when compared to Witcher 1 or Dragon age, and quite predictable as said before. It falls very shot of NWN2 Mask of Betrayer, not to mention PS: Torment. RPG ELEMENTS: Decision consequences is a strong plus, witch make this an absolutely unique game. Combat doesn't though, and it fells very clubsy at times, unlike Witcher 1. The world feels alive and every action you take during the main or side quests realy matters, locations are amazing, the characters are decently written and most of the times dialog is not boring. GRAPHIC: biggest enemy of this game. Yes, its spectacular, but if the time and money spent on graphic was used elsewere, say expanding the personal aspect of Geralts adventure (the Wild Hunt), we would have without much doubt the best RPG since Baldurs Gate 2. FINAL: Not bad at all, but from combat to interface to overall gameplay we have witnessed the fall of cRPG genre since Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 2, and it seems CDPred is taking the same highway to hell as BioWare (read EA), even if it may be a slower and more unintentional ride. Expand
  75. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome game it has every thing I hoped for, I really loved to play ioverth's path off course roche's path was also good but the characters and the epic story in ioverth's path blows out the kadweni champ and roche himself , Graphics of the game are outstanding and gorgeous, This game is highly recommended for serious gamers causal gamers might find the game a bit hard but its epic you will know once you start playing. Merits : Absolutely epic story , Graphics ,Characters, dialogs.(Almost everything in the game). Cons : Traps were bit boring and were not that friendly but bombs were great, The interface of the game could be made better (Save system's and Inventory management) . -All the dlc's (Including the EE patch) with extra quests and extra items were absolutely free and the developer seems to show a great respect for the fans and customers. Well its really great for us customers. Overall : A must buy for serious gamers. Expand
  76. Nov 19, 2014
    Nice graphics,
    Nice graphics,
    As new player to the Witcher storyline, the story was just shoved in my face, way to much story in the start, it was not to my liking when getting to knowing the game and dying regularly on normal, the time the character takes to notice he's in from of objects(doors, ladders, or during combat targets) seems almost unbearable(only 1-3 sec, but a lot of ladders and thing to climb over). Ended up finding my self skipping the cut-scenes to get more game-play, and ended up quitting, since it was not a nice way to play the game.
  77. Jun 4, 2012
    Awesome game. Characters are colourful and deep, the environments and monsters are exquisite, the story enthralling, the game-play engaging, although it be a bit repetitive if you want to finish all the side-quests (but that can be reduced by doing some planning before heading out). All in all probably the best game I've played since the nineties. I just wish I'd bought this a bit earlier,Awesome game. Characters are colourful and deep, the environments and monsters are exquisite, the story enthralling, the game-play engaging, although it be a bit repetitive if you want to finish all the side-quests (but that can be reduced by doing some planning before heading out). All in all probably the best game I've played since the nineties. I just wish I'd bought this a bit earlier, as the experience was worth more than the 30 euro I paid - a novel experience these days. Expand
  78. Jul 25, 2012
    It is beautiful. The game play is fun and challenging. And most of all, the story line is extremely addictive. I can't wait to play this game 2 or 3 times more over.
  79. Aug 9, 2012
    Una Joya de estilo Accion RPG que tiene que estar en su estanteria de Steam o de juegos si o si!! Te sumergiras en la atrapante historia de Geralt de Rivia, te enamoraras de el encanto de Triss Merigold y deleitaras una ambientación conmvinada con unos graficos de infarto.
  80. Nov 4, 2012
    I do not understand this game. The "action" is slow and boring and the story didn't interest me whatsoever. Just moving around the world is clunky and feels like an interactive (bad) movie.
  81. Dec 6, 2012
    Good game to play and complete,
    Cons in my opinions are:
    -Poor animations during dialogues
    -Boring combat gameplay
    -Storyline progression not than entertaining
    I'm looking forward the developers next game, Cyberpunk 2077.
  82. Aug 19, 2014
    This is a MUST if you enjoy games with a solid story and incredible combat mechanics. Very few bugs compared to your usual RPG. Sound and graphics are top notch. Only game better than this is Fallout 3, which are unrealistic standards...
  83. Jan 4, 2013
    The Witcher 2 is a great game. The story is compelling memorable characters, great combat mechanics, great environments, and on top of all that your actions truly matters.
    CD Project Red (the company behind TW2 & TW1) truly cares for their customers, they continued to develop the game, and added an expansion, polished the game and all for free.
    I wish them the best in their future
    I wish them the best in their future projects, cause they are the true light in the recent years, and i swore an oath to them.
  84. Mar 5, 2015
    Simply it was a masterpiece of its own time. Deep and entertaining story, very realistic characters, real oral choices and dilemmas. Great graphics. I have really enjoyed that one. All my hopes now go for the so-long awaited sequel.
  85. Apr 3, 2013
    This is the best CRPG I played from a long time. First, the gameplay (fights, alchemy, magic) is quite good and fun. Second, the story and characterization is excellent. The graphics are stunning. Plus there are choices that matter, which is rare in a CRPG these days. Really good stuff.
  86. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. played this game 4 times to challenge most of difficulties and to see all possible endings...can't wait to play the third chapter.
    the plot is intriguing since the very beginning of the game, all characters are well studied and created whit different own personalityes. the combat stile can be hard to understand at first but when learned give a lot of satisfaction, combining magic potions and swordskill. i appreciated the quest when i got drunk and i had to find all my armor again xD and loved all other quests where i could choose how to end them.
  87. Apr 25, 2013
    This is a wonderful game and can be found on Steam for 16 bucks. Pretty high PC standards for top quality graphics. The mature content is refreshing since this is a classic RPG. the only negative is unfamiliar with the world history or characters if you have not played original Witcher. The learning curve is pretty steep and it is a difficult game which not a bad thing. Later.
  88. May 14, 2013
    This is truly one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you are a fan of fantasy and adventure games you will definitely love this game. It is stuffed with adventures and great role playing aspects while the story is very catching as well.

Please do yourself a favor and learn the game. It might be a little tough to begin with but when you get used to the controls and the tactics you will not let this one go. And it look stunning too.. So what are you waiting for?
  89. Jan 4, 2014
    This game has really nice graphics but the combat system is just plain unbalanced and the huge boss fights often defy normal video game logic and trick you with false weak spot attack oppurtunitys and then kill you in some mysterious ways (like with electro shocks).

You will often find yourself facing enemys that have unfair advantages over you like infinite and complete blocking of your melee attacks while you have your mana depleted with every single block or being forced to take serious damage even while blocking. The lack possibility to heal yourself properly during fights and the lack of the ability to use your much needed potions during fights is just plain annoying.

The game forces you to either drink potions the whole time to be prepared if there is a fight coming and thus wasting your often tedious gathered ressources for potions or you will often find yourself in an very unbalanced fight and in the desperated wish that you could drink your potions.

This really killed the game for me because this is not genuine fair challenge but often annoying trial and error.
  90. Jun 16, 2013
    I installed the game today, I played through the tutorial, the first two quests and I was disillusioned. So many flaws and problems, where shall I begin?

Firstly, the animations: they are choppy. Whether it is Geralt's switch between running and walking or the general animation quality of enemies and NPC's, one can easily see: the developers are not able to deliver quality animations. The animations create a feeling of "amateurs at work". Feel free to disagree, but I am used to seeing another level of quality. For example, Resident Evil 5 or Dark Souls, see for your self.

Secondly, the controls: they are counter-intuitive, and the way the controller is treated clearly exposes the lack of experience and care by the developer when it comes to AAA products. An AAA product has to be on a high level regarding accessibility. The controls are chunky, imprecise and lack required customisation.

Then, bad graphics, yes, you've read correctly: bad graphics. Why? One should measure the graphics of a game not only by their fidelity when they are powered by the most powerful but also most expensive hardware available, but also by their efficiency and their aesthetics. The result is clear: the graphics are below average. Pushing the graphics based on superior hardware is a nice way of luring in new players and supporting the hardware manufacturers, but it does not say anything about the beauty of your game. Turn down the graphics to playable levels on an average gaming computer and you will get the picture. Games like “Forza Motorsport” or “The Last of Us” demonstrate what good graphics mean: they are beautiful to look at, not because of hardware-hungry effects, but because of aesthetical and skilled design. “The Witcher 2” is below average in this department.

Next, cluttered inventory: another unintuitive segment of the game. Be it the layout, responsiveness of the menus or the presentation, everything screams: clutter, badly optimised.

Also, the story: I know that most of you will argue that this is a strong point of the game. And I may not be in the position to judge the story based on my experience, but from what I saw and heard, it was cringe worthy. Cliché and corny, nothing felt mature or advanced. Contrary, it felt as hilarious as a B-movie.

This leads me to my last point: Bad voice acting. This feature complements and underlines the impression of a hard to care about and hilarious story. Geralt is barely hear able as he grunts and mumbles along, and the rest of the cast does sound more or less like amateurs, there are some exceptions though.

Overall, I cannot fight the impression that the developer was overambitious. They probably do have the imagination, the spirit and the creativity, but they certainly lack the technical know how, the talent and the experience in order to produce a high quality game, which would pay justice to their vision.

Slightly above average game. Ambitious, but lacking in many aspects: some crucial.

91. Feb 17, 2014
    Great game cutscenes are enjoyable and an overall pleasant story make this game a must have! Combat is also likeable and the graphics are quite good and visually appealing.
  92. Nov 9, 2013
    Best RPG I have played in a while. Incredibly engaging, beautifully crafted and really well planned out, this game is staying on my PC's hard drive for over a year and most games I have haven't even made it that long. I never got bored of Geralt of Rivia and his adventures.

The story of this game is really mature and incredibly engaging. Throughout the game I have made the choices that I would make in real life if I would be put up under same situations and that got me really engaged in the story. Plot twists really make sense and keep you engaged. I have completed almost all quests including side quests and I am still playing the game. :)

Graphics-wise Witcher 2 beats most RPG Games. I still can't believe it is a game from 2011, the graphics like that are only getting improved because of next gen consoles. Beautiful areas such as Ruins in Flotsam are really good to look at, just stand and enjoy the view.

Fighting is some of the best fighting I have seen. Geralt is a true sword master, but if you're not careful you will get him killed easily. You have to plan out and think about the fights. Different characters such as normal soldiers are easy to kill, but then you get more armored knights or even bosses which will kick your butt if you just jump in and fight.

The only problem was the lack of tutorial. I had to find out the controls of the game until half-way of the story for me to actually remember them. Some things I still cannot use after over a year of playing this game. The accents for English aren't the best either. Polish language is so much better in the sense of acting, because of the character and realism.

Overall 10 out of 10, really recommended for any RPG fans. Amazing story, graphics, fighting mechanism and really well executed overall.
  93. Feb 15, 2014
    Bought this game from steam because it was on sale for 3,99€ and i got to say i haven't been disappointed. At first the game felt quite complicated, but once i got the hang of it i really started enjoying it. I would definitely recommend this game for anyone who likes rpg games.
  94. Apr 4, 2014
    My long written review just vanished in a server error, so I'll make it short.

This game does everything right. Story - deep and thought provoking Combat - engaging, fun and versatile Characters - believable and interesting World - beautiful, atmospheric and detailed Skill system - balanced and varied In my opinion easily the best game in years and on par with great RPGs such as
    My long written review just vanished in a server error, so I'll make it short.

This game does everything right.
    Story - deep and thought provoking
    Combat - engaging, fun and versatile
    Characters - believable and interesting
    World - beautiful, atmospheric and detailed
    Skill system - balanced and varied

In my opinion easily the best game in years and on par with great RPGs such as Gothic and Morrowind.
    With this game on hand I have great expectations for (and of) CD Project Red and their upcoming titles.
  95. Oct 7, 2014
    It doesn't contain jump.
    The enhanced version is over colorful and painful in the eyes.
    You can't easily saw the quest item, there's no lighting on the object.
    Need to craft often to became over power.
    The map is confusing.
  96. Dec 27, 2014
    Probably the best game I've ever played

Pros
    **** ****
    +Fight Monsters
    +Get Money
    +Drink Beer

Cons
    -Too pretty
    -Too good

10/10 would reccomend
  97. Feb 3, 2015
    Don't know if this will update my previous rating however I finally got the game to run using a third party no dot net patch. Sad yet simple. I still can't recommend this game due to these circumstances as it should be fixed as soon as you update the thing
  98. May 18, 2011
    Truly one of the best games of all time... The combat is quick and satisfying the characters are as well developed and as brilliant as the story! A true successor to the first game
  99. Aug 14, 2011
    !! Game of the Year !! Epic story , great gameplay and amazing graphics . It's all you need to say that fresh game can be still created among all those fps. waiting to see the Witcher 3, cause this game is the best what gamer can get into his hands
  100. May 18, 2011
    This game is all about what I expected from today's role-playing game. I think it has everything you can expect from such a game, as a MATURE player. Without a doubt, The Witcher 2 will be one of the best games in 2011. Congratulations to the Poles, who once again created something so addictive.
  101. ion
    May 17, 2011
    It is really hard to point out all qualities of this game because there are that many of them. Magnificent plot and storyline, deep, ambiguous characters, the importance of the choices you make (the choices, let's add, not obvious and not black and white), great minor characters and the gray, bleak yet vivid world in which the real monsters are the human beings. If we add to it marvelousIt is really hard to point out all qualities of this game because there are that many of them. Magnificent plot and storyline, deep, ambiguous characters, the importance of the choices you make (the choices, let's add, not obvious and not black and white), great minor characters and the gray, bleak yet vivid world in which the real monsters are the human beings. If we add to it marvelous graphics, well-made soundtrack and a demanding gameplay (you really have to use all your equipment and magic skills when facing a tough opponent or a bunch of them) we get one of the most amazing cRPG games in the last decade. The Witcher 2 is the masterpiece and as such, should stand alongside other masterpieces like Baldur's Gate, Fallout 2, KOTOR and Planescape: Torment. I hope that the game will become a huge success not only as a piece of art, but also as a product, so that we'll see more astonishing works from this small studio. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011