8.5

1. Jul 5, 2014
    Overrated game, looks good, and thats about it.
    really decent fighting, and overall exp. if youre looking for it, i suggest you to look elsewhere.
    i do believe youre going to be disappointed.
  2. Jul 3, 2014
    This is a great, great game in a great, great series. It's hand's down the only modern series that can stand toe to toe with classic RPG's of Infinity engine.
  3. Sep 28, 2014
    Im from Poland so i should rate this game 9/10 but i cant. 7/10 because the story lane is not bad but when you leave the village, you will see a lot of mobs, totaly **** In the book (the book is 999999x better than this game), people dont meet mobs every 10 meters, sometimes people can sleep in the forest and see zero monsters but in the game, mobs are everywhere and not 2 mobs per 200Im from Poland so i should rate this game 9/10 but i cant. 7/10 because the story lane is not bad but when you leave the village, you will see a lot of mobs, totaly **** In the book (the book is 999999x better than this game), people dont meet mobs every 10 meters, sometimes people can sleep in the forest and see zero monsters but in the game, mobs are everywhere and not 2 mobs per 200 yards but spam of mobs.
    You should read the books "The Witcher", by Andrzej Sapkowski. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher
  4. Apr 6, 2015
    Meh.... I tired to finish Witcher 1 couldn't do it. So in an attempt to get psych'd for witcher 3 i bought witcher 2. I think i finished it in under 24 hours. the voice acting is underwhelming as well as the general story arc, and most of NPCs are boring and don't really add to much. The graphic and combat were good, but the map was god awful. i'm not sure what the redeeming qualities areMeh.... I tired to finish Witcher 1 couldn't do it. So in an attempt to get psych'd for witcher 3 i bought witcher 2. I think i finished it in under 24 hours. the voice acting is underwhelming as well as the general story arc, and most of NPCs are boring and don't really add to much. The graphic and combat were good, but the map was god awful. i'm not sure what the redeeming qualities are for this game, I'm glad it didn't buy it new, and Im going to have to wait for review on W3. in the mean time I guess it's back to the DA series for me. Expand
  5. May 19, 2015
    Great successor to the first game of the series. TW2 greatly improves where TW1 was lacking some polish, and still manages to tell you a great, involving story with meaningful choices and consequences. I mean - half of the game is completely different (Act 2) depending on who you choose to side with. That's huge.
    And the graphics. For me it is still one of the best looking cRPGs, even
    And the graphics. For me it is still one of the best looking cRPGs, even after 4 years from the release date.
    Combat system is very good, and demanding. A lot of people bash it for not being dumbed down, but if you're up for a challenge, it'll be a big plus for you.
  6. May 19, 2011
    Okay first off i love this game. It is fantastic in almost every level, despite i few problems under the hood (freezing and what not). That is not why i am posting though. This whole riot between DA and witcher fans needs to stop. Both are fantastic franchices. I would consider myself more of a witcher fan. Witcher fans: We owe a lot to Bioware, if it werent for them and there fantasticOkay first off i love this game. It is fantastic in almost every level, despite i few problems under the hood (freezing and what not). That is not why i am posting though. This whole riot between DA and witcher fans needs to stop. Both are fantastic franchices. I would consider myself more of a witcher fan. Witcher fans: We owe a lot to Bioware, if it werent for them and there fantastic Auora engine the witcher might not have even seen the light of day. And dragon age fans: Just face the facts and accept that Bioware did not follow up with the sequel all you hardcore fans deserved. I'm not trying to hate but it felt like they took out a lot of things that made the first one so great. So let's just end this. We are all gamers and need to stick together on stuff like this. How about we just love both franchices. Expand
  7. May 20, 2011
    I am very much a fan of the first Witcher, and I am glad to say the second game in the series is nothing short of astonishing in nearly every aspect. It's clear from the beginning that the developers took special care in analyzing the problems with the first game and made effort into either eliminating or reducing those problems. The story is very intricate and complex. There is a plethoraI am very much a fan of the first Witcher, and I am glad to say the second game in the series is nothing short of astonishing in nearly every aspect. It's clear from the beginning that the developers took special care in analyzing the problems with the first game and made effort into either eliminating or reducing those problems. The story is very intricate and complex. There is a plethora of pivotal choices that you must make in the game that feel very important and changes the direction of the game drastically, unlike other RPGs that provide black and white choices that ultimately means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Side stories tie in very well with the main plot, and give extra incentive to complete them as even they can change the outcome of some of the main quests by providing important information. One problem however is because the story is so complex it throws a lot of characters and major players at you very quickly, making it hard at times to keep everything together and trying to make sense of what's going on as you unravel several mysteries at once. But it also provides replay value most other single player games simply can't match. The graphics engine can bring even some of the best PCs to their knees. Even if you have to put it on the lowest settings, thanks to the beautiful art style it's hardly a problem. While a lot of modern games being released have simple color schemes and bland, dead environments, this is not so in The Witcher 2. The game is rich with colors, foliage is in abundance, environments are busy and aren't repeated to the point you want to gouge your eyes out, NPCs are going about their daily lives, and with weather patters and full day/night cycles the world feels alive and approaches Crysis level beauty. One of the biggest problems I think the game suffers from when it comes to graphics is even if you have a pretty medium level PC even on the lowest settings it can get a little bogged down. Maybe the engine could be optimized a little better, but this is a minor complaint as, again, even on lowest settings the world is beautiful.

The soundtrack is amazing. Music is always appropriate for the situation and area where it plays, complimenting the gorgeous environments well. There's really nothing wrong at all with the soundtrack; everything is great.

Character customization is off the chart. I finished the game at about level 35 and I had barely touched most of the talent points available. There are a lot of combinations that can be done for specific play styles without compromising your character to the point you have trouble with fights. However, starting out you won't necessarily know this, so it can be a little intimidating because of the shear amount you can pick from, worrying you could be picking the "wrong" one or mutegen which could harm you down the road. The combat is significantly improved from the first game. It takes on an Arkham Asylum style combat system and it works great. Fighting multiple opponents can be quite challenging though until you get a few specific talents to help you with that, and even then tougher opponents make it difficult. Enemy variation is above average, with a lot of them requiring vastly different tactics to take down than others. Effective use of traps is required for some fights even on normal difficulty. Some of the mini bosses/main bosses suffer from being either extremely difficult bordering on impossible (or maybe I just sucked at that point) to nearly trivial (or I was just particularly effective at that point). Either way, boss difficulty can vary greatly. Also, the game doesn't do much hand holding, so some of those boss fights require a lot of trial and error to figure out what you need to do to finish the fight.

I've heard easy is too easy and normal is too hard. I haven't tried easy, but I found normal to be just challenging enough for my taste. Next play through I'm going to go for hard mode and I'm expecting it to be very, very challenging. I'll probably never try insane mode just because I know I'd die at some very stupid point long into the game and it wouldn't do anything but irritate me. Anyway, there are difficulty settings for everyone, so find what works for you and enjoy.

One last note. Installation was the most PAINFUL EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER GONE THROUGH IN MY GAMING CAREER. CRC error on my gaming PC. Tried copying disc 1 on 2 other computers and used an external DVD drive and they all had the same problem. Finally borrowed my friends laptop and it was able to read the disk. There's no excuse for the disc being unreadable by 4 out of 5 drives!!! Only reason I got it on a DVD and not digital download was because I wanted the CE version and all the swag, but this has taught me to never, ever buy a PC game that isn't digital download ever again, no matter what.
  8. Aug 8, 2011
    I really must congratulate CDprojekt they have done an outstanding job. This is definitely the best game I have ever played. The graphics made me spend hours wandering in the forests of Flotsram ( I admit they are so good I actually got lost in the forest), the combat is what all RPGs should have, not the DPS type but actual swordsmanship you strike, you duck or you die. The other aspectsI really must congratulate CDprojekt they have done an outstanding job. This is definitely the best game I have ever played. The graphics made me spend hours wandering in the forests of Flotsram ( I admit they are so good I actually got lost in the forest), the combat is what all RPGs should have, not the DPS type but actual swordsmanship you strike, you duck or you die. The other aspects of traps, bombs, signs, potions and oils etc are also a welcome addition to the complexity of battle ( I was getting frustrated with the mindless consolized games that are coming out of late with dummed down combat, no need to state names DA2 you know yourselves) And last but not least the story just wraps it all up into one amazing spectacle of brilliance. Expand
  9. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 kicked every other RPG's butt so hard they broke the time space continuum and disappeared into another universe, the trashbin universe. I had trouble with the combat at first, but I just failed. Got everything under control now. Everything about this game is great.
  10. May 18, 2011
    Combat: You feel vulnerable. Some people dislike that (generally people that enjoy super-streamlined games), but to me it adds not only a sense of skill and challenge but makes the world actually feel as dangerous as it should. You don't just slash through things, its both tactical and reflexive. Contrary to what people who clearly are very novice in combat have said, you don't have toCombat: You feel vulnerable. Some people dislike that (generally people that enjoy super-streamlined games), but to me it adds not only a sense of skill and challenge but makes the world actually feel as dangerous as it should. You don't just slash through things, its both tactical and reflexive. Contrary to what people who clearly are very novice in combat have said, you don't have to "run away", you dodge and circle, only retreating to reposition yourself when needed. It's undoubtedly more active and engaging than that of other typical rpgs like the elder scrolls series and dragon age.
    Character Development: More streamlined than some, less streamlined than others. However, there's no optimal build tedium and you get to play the style you want so there's little to complain about.
    Storyline: From a summarized synopsis the overall story is pretty typical and nothing new, however on the "micro" level (as you play through) the way it unfolds and the subplots that develop are at least pretty good if not very good.
    Overall: It's closer to open ended than linear and there's a ton of choice which affects gameplay far more than in any other rpg that comes to mind. Content wise, I'd say it's pretty stacked and can't think of a single area where it gets skimpy. All in all, in comparison to the generic, overly simplistic games that dominate the market now with cash being the primary concern of developers, this game is the best grab I've made in a very long time.
  11. May 23, 2011
    I'll try to make it short. If you enjoyed the first Witcher game, you will like this one.
    The story is interesting and you have choices where your adventure leads you, who will be your friends and who will be your enemies adding more replay value. Dialogue is one of the finest parts of the game, although the voice acting can change a bit. At one point your main character might be whispering his lines for no reason and the character talking to him yells his lines back.
    Combat is fun and engaging until up to a level in swordsmanship where you get to the point you can just buttonsmash enemies to a wall and not letting them even lift their sword in time until they recoil back in pain. It's quite balanced as when the enemy hits you even in the easiest difficulty they usually take 1/10th of your maximum health. Multiple enemies is where the combat is most fun, although the game suffers from awkward targeting system. Until you level your character with skill that lets you hit enemies who you aren't targeting with a sword, you'll be trying to hit the enemy in front of you only to make your hits go through that enemy because the enemy behind the enemy you are trying to hit is selected as target.

The games UI is probably the worst aspect of the game. You pick up enchantments early in the game even though you get armor that actually can be enchanted later in the game, but I might have missed something. The UI also doesn't tell you how to drink potions or how to throw throwing knives and bombs. Meditation and drinking of potions is only talked in passing in small tutorial window and if you run too far away from the trigger point or accidentally cancel it you won't be told about the button to get access to it. There isn't control re-arrangement that can be accessed from in game where you could check the buttons and re-arrange them. To this moment I don't know how to throw knives or bombs and I'm currently far in the 2nd chapter.

It's an okay game though if Witcher 1 was something you enjoyed. It's more polished than the first game, yet the game designers should have hired crack team of playtesters to polish out all the issues with the UI and combat.
  12. May 21, 2011
    this game is absolutely undeniably amazing. Blows dragon age 2 out of the water easily this is what an RPG should look like and Im happy that I finally have something good to waste my time with. This definately is worth a full nerd boner.
  13. May 20, 2011
    This is absolutely the game to beat right now. All game devs should be setting their sights on The Witcher 2. I was breathless when Geralt walked out of the tent in the beginning of the game. The graphics are unbelievable on any setting but fortunately my system can play it on high (X4 965, crossfire 6850s, 8 GB ram). Ultra slows down the frames a lot but, it makes the game look almostThis is absolutely the game to beat right now. All game devs should be setting their sights on The Witcher 2. I was breathless when Geralt walked out of the tent in the beginning of the game. The graphics are unbelievable on any setting but fortunately my system can play it on high (X4 965, crossfire 6850s, 8 GB ram). Ultra slows down the frames a lot but, it makes the game look almost like a Pixar animation! Hopefully, AMD will put out the Witcher 2 crossfire application profiles soon so I can maybe play on ultra.

Combat is innovative and has a bit of a learning curve. Make good use of W,A,S,D double taps to dodge! Also use those signs to slow down & incapacitate your foes. Try to avoid being surrounded and use terrain or objects in game to your advantage. All in all this is a must buy and I have been telling all my gamer friends to get it. Witcher 2 has reset the bar for SPRPGs!
  14. May 18, 2011
    Wow, just wow.After we got served total failure under (false ) name of DA 2 , we now get true RPG and not some sim dating wannabee RPG click fest based on Twilight for puberty kids

Assassin of the kings? If kings are Bioware and DA 2 then it's so true. CDP don't get sold to EA like some others and keep up the good job...
  15. May 25, 2011
    Okay, so here is how it is. This game is about as close to perfect as it gets. On Gameplay...
    Combat is smooth as silk and very fast paced, and is actually fun compared to the QTE click-fest that was the first game. Changing (magic) signs on the fly with the new system makes for some intresting gameplay as well. The game places a high amount of importance of positioning for an attack, and using potions to prepare for a battle beforehand is useful however, not absolutly necessary. As a little note, the finishing moves are sweet to watch and the group finishers are even cooler.

On Graphics...
    Amazing. Some flaws exist when the characters (especially minor ones) are talking and the mouth movements appear to be a little "off". However the character models, environments, and overall animation make this game one of the most beautiful out there today. (Running on a 560ti+Q9650 with no problems @ a solid 60fps most the time)

On story...
    I won't spoil anything here but one thing did bother me, this was the "paraphrased" speech choices. about 25% of the time i unintentionally choose something that i thought meant something else. (Probably my own stupidity but i feel that the game could have been a little clearer on it.)

A minor note i want to make here with the game itself.
    Installation was a hassle for me. Apparently because of the overall size of the DVD (8g) i did have a problem because my DVD drive was unable to install the program past 75%. Again, not CDPROJEKT's fault but if you are using an older DVD drive, (even one that can read dual layer dvds) you may encounter a few problems. Also, registering the CD key was a pain. You may need to install the "offline" patch to get your game to work. (CD key will be entered and then nothing will happen, and you keep repeating the process, over and over...lol) So if you are a fan of RPG's, Interesting Stories, Fast-paced Game play, and seeing Triss naked i would definitely pick up the Witcher 2 (even if you haven't played the first one)
  16. Jun 7, 2011
    This game is amazing! It is what I had hoped Dragon Age 2 would be (i.e. a classic PC RPG with all of today's bells and whistles). If you haven't read the books or played the enhanced edition of the first game in the series, GO DO THAT NOW!! They are incredible! The only downside is that some moron decided Americans didn't read (I know right?? *chuckle chuckle*) and they SKIPPED THE 2NDThis game is amazing! It is what I had hoped Dragon Age 2 would be (i.e. a classic PC RPG with all of today's bells and whistles). If you haven't read the books or played the enhanced edition of the first game in the series, GO DO THAT NOW!! They are incredible! The only downside is that some moron decided Americans didn't read (I know right?? *chuckle chuckle*) and they SKIPPED THE 2ND BOOK!!!! That makes me SO angry!!! But anyways, just read the summaries on the wiki before you read the 2nd novel I guess. But whatever you do, support these people. They are amazing. Expand
  17. May 31, 2011
    Game is really awesome. Its like a next book, and i hope to see Yeniffer in the next chapter :) Double 2nd chapter is something i never see before in games like this, shokin' and great. This is just a deadly blow for BiowarEA where money comes first, and users 10th at least
  18. May 17, 2011
    Best RPG 2011. Im sure about it. Good combat, nonlinear storyline, timekilling gameplay. Interacive movies by BioWare is suxx. First RPG funs hope in long long time. Thanks for this passion
  19. May 17, 2011
    This game is great so far, only a few hours into the game so far and I can tell already that this may be my rpg of the year. Any way I wish we didn't have to worry about childish tactics by other rpg makers, ratting games down and advertising their own games on user review sites like this one.
  20. May 30, 2011
    Absolutely awesome game from CD Project. My Game of the Year 2011 beside Portal 2. It is the best RPG on the market. The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age Origins are fantastic. Dragon Age 2 is ****
  21. May 21, 2011
    This game is amazing. Story, graphic, sounds, atmosphere - all top notch! CDProject got a new fan in me and I actually can't seem to find anything negative I would put my finger out. A strong GOTY candidate for sure.

Don't know what's up with the trolling here. How can anyone give this game a score below 9 is beyond me. Scared producers from EaoWares?
  22. May 17, 2011
    Best game, best world, best epic hero and best combat system forever, this is The Witcher 2 ! Definitely Game of the Year 2011 in RPG and Best Game category!
  23. May 29, 2011
    RPG fans, get ready to be blown away by one of the best and challenging RPGs
    The Witcher 2 is huge, immersive, beautiful, challenging and adult game.
    The story is complex and interesting, the fights are sometimes hard, so you have to use tactics and drink potions before a fight or before entering a dark cave, lots of quests and lots of locations to explore. with Witcher 2 you'll have lots
    RPG fans, get ready to be blown away by one of the best and challenging RPGs
    The Witcher 2 is huge, immersive, beautiful, challenging and adult game.
    with Witcher 2 you'll have lots of gameplay time, so get ready for a long game people! :)
  24. May 22, 2011
    Short answer: Probably the best game of the year(at least until Skyrim).

Short answer: Probably the best game of the year(at least until Skyrim).

Longer Answer: I played through it once so far. And absolutely love it. The graphic is amazing, even if i had to use low graphics due to crappy computer the game still looked very nice. Even if there are some flaws in the game the positive side heavily outweighs the negative side. After completing the game i felt quite satisfied. Sure it could have gone on for longer and there are still questions unanswered, but none of those have really anything to do with the main story in the game, even if some are a result of the main story.
    A great thing with witcher2 is that it's made for adults. nothing is censored(unless you live in Australia). Wish more developers would go on that path, it sort of puts the realism at a higher level than in any other game.

A both good and bad thing in the witcher2 is that the game doesn't hold you hand and show you what to do. Some things you have to figure out yourself. It's not dumbed down and therefor can feel a bit challenging. But that is all the genre is about also.
    Lets hope this is not the last we've seen of the witcher. The Witcher2 felt like a very welcomed game, specially after the big letdown after Dragon Age2.
  25. Jun 18, 2011
    Awesome Game. Very Well created. I just wish Act 3 would have been longer.The Action scenes are very intense. The environment is extensive allowing you to explore a lot.
  26. May 17, 2011
    I have been playing this game for 3 hours now and all i can say is, get this game it is a masterpiece. The combat first is hard to get by, especially if you jump directly into the hardest tutorial mission (the tutorial is part of the game and non linear) but after a while you will get a hang of it. This game really feels like the developers went their way instead of doing market researchI have been playing this game for 3 hours now and all i can say is, get this game it is a masterpiece. The combat first is hard to get by, especially if you jump directly into the hardest tutorial mission (the tutorial is part of the game and non linear) but after a while you will get a hang of it. This game really feels like the developers went their way instead of doing market research on how to appeal the masses, they simply did their game and it shows off. What we have here is a masterpiece on every angle. Those who complain about bugs, after three hours of gameplay, I have had not a single one.
    All I can say is this game deserves a 10.
    Sorry to say that but if you design a game by focus groups you lose if you design a game with the heart you win. Best RPG since Planetscape Torment - period.
  27. Jun 6, 2011
    A great game, perfect... no. The graphics are beautiful, the story engrossing and you get to see the impact of your decisions. Those choices influence how you play in Act 2 and 3. Very well done.
  28. May 17, 2011
    The witcher 2 will be RPG of the year 2011.. The Witcher 2 is best game i ever played in a very long time. Beautyfull graphics, nonlinear and addictive story, innovative combat system, great dialog, DRM free, free DLC, only 49$ compared to some others *cough* DA2 *cough* that charge $60 but less than 1/2 the quality.
  29. May 17, 2011
    I am amazed by the pure solitude of every aspect of this game. I was so surprised by how good it was, when I was watching the Dev diaries that CDprojekt was releasing I was a little scared they were too confident. But the weren't, they knew they had an amazing game. The battle system is intuitive and the graphics are top notch. I fell so in love with the hard decisions of the game becauseI am amazed by the pure solitude of every aspect of this game. I was so surprised by how good it was, when I was watching the Dev diaries that CDprojekt was releasing I was a little scared they were too confident. But the weren't, they knew they had an amazing game. The battle system is intuitive and the graphics are top notch. I fell so in love with the hard decisions of the game because they were hard. I have never paused in a game and waited 5 to 10 minutes before I could decide. The only bad reviews on this game are just butt hurt Bioware fans that could are jealous because Bioware didn't do it first. A+ my only upset with the game is that Skyrim is coming out, so it has a hard road to be RPG of the year but if anything this will be second if not first. Expand
  30. May 24, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an amazing RPG. It's certainly been a while since I couldn't put a game down! I definitely recommend this game to all mature RPG fans.
  31. May 25, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is one of the most unique RPGs of the past five years. At first glance you might think it's copying Bioware's tried-and-true formula for action-RPGs, but the details of the game quickly reveal that it deviates quite far from anything Bioware had made recently.

The most obvious difference is the difficulty. This is a game that stubbornly refuses to hold your hand. It's hard, and it doesn't do much to help you figure out how to master it, either. The prologue is, for many, a baptism through fire. Even Demon's Souls, well-known for its difficulty, went to great extents to help the player master the system.

However, the more I've played TW2, the more I've realized that its approach is not a flaw but a feature--but it's a feature that not everybody is going to like. But that's okay. Not every game has to appeal to every gamer. TW2 is one of those exceptionally rare big budget blockbuster games that deliberately restricts its target audience. If you don't like to play games patiently, methodically, with a lot of trial and error and more than an ordinary share of failure, then you aren't going to like TW2. But if you get giddy at the thought of conquering a particularly tough encounter after 20 tries thanks to nothing but your sheer ingenuity and skill, then there's 40 hours of absolutely engrossing content here waiting for you.

TW2 is largely iterative rather than innovative, but small glimmers of new brilliance shine through in a few spots. In particular, you will never be asked to kill X instances of creature Y, an old and terrible trope of the RPG genre. Instead, you will be asked to *exterminate* a local species from the area. Most interestingly is that you won't be told how to do it. This was one of my favorite parts of the game, as it actually makes you feel like a witcher (a "professional monster hunter"). You'll need to read literature about the species, scout out underground tunnels they use for hiding and transportation, destroy all entrances to said tunnels, find nests, destroy cocoons, and kill queens responsible for breeding. And you won't be told very much of this. You'll actually have to explore the dense and dizzying forests on your own, looking for nests without a waypoint.

Unlike Bioware's recent offerings, TW2 doesn't have much backstory. Whereas Dragon Age: Origins was extremely rich on backstory and extremely thin on "frontstory," TW2 swaps this: it doesn't concern you much with the past, and the dialogue all focuses on the present predicament. There isn't a codex with hundreds of entries on fictitious wars. While I think this approach worked quite well in Mass Effect, it didn't chime at all with the atmosphere of Dragon Age for me. I'm much more satisfied with TW2's strategy of simply throwing you into the world, letting the history of the region seep out naturally from character interaction.

In summary, TW2 is a fantastic and difficult offering that won't appeal to everyone. It's become one of my personal favorites--but you might feel quite differently depending on how you react to its totally serious lack of "hand-holding."
  32. Jun 4, 2011
    This game, not only the best graphical polished RPG out there for the moment, but it features some really polished combat and rpg systems too! All dialogue is narrated which really works immersive, there are dozens of side-quests you can opt to do or not do, which changes the story after you leave that certain area. A perfect example would be: A peasant asked you to get rid of some hugeThis game, not only the best graphical polished RPG out there for the moment, but it features some really polished combat and rpg systems too! All dialogue is narrated which really works immersive, there are dozens of side-quests you can opt to do or not do, which changes the story after you leave that certain area. A perfect example would be: A peasant asked you to get rid of some huge gnolls that keep raiding his farm, he suspects they have setup a nest in a nearby underground cave. You can chose to eradicate the nest, or skip the quest. Once you finish the chapter you'll notice that your choice actually mattered. The adult atmosphere is also truly unique in The Witcher 2, beware the mothers against! Expand
  33. Mar 20, 2012
    I cannot say anything bad about this game. Great story, great graphics, awesome combat, etc. I would definitely recommend this game to any rpg fan. The Witcher 2 thumbs up!
  34. Jun 12, 2014
    Bugs! Still there even in the latest fully patched edition from GOG.
    Bugs! Still there even in the latest fully patched edition from GOG.
    A very good looking and potentially very enjoyable experience which is turned into an exercise in tedium by significant bugs. Specifically, there are times in combat, apparently at random, when the keys do not respond. The combat system ought to be amazing - simple but tough to master. But just as you start to get used to it and you start thinking about tactics, and it's all looking interesting, your character stands there and does nothing while you hammer the keys. ARGH!
    And the crafting system which you start to enjoy and you make yourself a nice new sword and you forgive the game for its combat bug, and you finally win a big fight, and then your sword has disappeared! And it isn't part of the plot... it's another bug. Double ARGH!
    I realise that games such as this are massive undertakings, but bugs like this really spoil the potential enjoyment and turn what is meant to be entertainment into a dull exercise in repetition.
  35. May 30, 2011
    Good: Storyline, graphics & sound, FUN, choices have a major effect
    Bad: Sometimes buggy, controls are clumsy
    Good: Storyline, graphics & sound, FUN, choices have a major effect
    Bad: Sometimes buggy, controls are clumsy

Overall this is a fun & enjoyable game despite some issues. Great replay value. The game starts out very difficult (on "Hard" mode) but it eases up as you start to develop your character's abilities. So far the most enjoyable game of '11. Does not give you childish & unrealistic dialogue options like DA2. Your choices have a big impact on the game which is what RPGs are all about. Moral choices are not necessarily good or evil, just you deciding what is the best or most realistic decision for Geralt to make.

Areas needing most improvement: technical issues (a bug affecting mouse controls happens sometimes), some lag and frame rate issues, combat controls leave something to be desired.
  36. Jun 18, 2011
    Nice game, but boss fights are ridiculously OP vs the regular fights. And use some stupid mechanics so that it's really a fight vs the game engine more than a fight vs the boss. Frustrating in many places, lots of things require that you use a cheatsheet on the internet (ie obtain spoilers) just to get through the plot and progress the damn game. They managed to create some very good AI inNice game, but boss fights are ridiculously OP vs the regular fights. And use some stupid mechanics so that it's really a fight vs the game engine more than a fight vs the boss. Frustrating in many places, lots of things require that you use a cheatsheet on the internet (ie obtain spoilers) just to get through the plot and progress the damn game. They managed to create some very good AI in open world situations (people milling about etc - they actually seemed to have lives of their own) - the boss AI = not so good. Gave it a 6 as game itself is really cool, and did make me want to finish it (more out of determination not to let some piece of fool coding beat me more than anything else) but the frustrating elements means I would not recommend this game to anyone I know, least of all people who aren't familar with frustrating rpg mechanics. Even I hated it most of the time, so wouldn't want to pass the curse onto people I like. Tl;dr: Excellent exercise in world-building; do not let these people near boss fight AI coding again. Expand
  37. May 17, 2011
    This game is really amazing, can we please not have people naming themselves from my favorite developer company (BioWare) and making the company look bad. Most likely you are not in the company and if you were a gamer there is no way a game like this would be rated with a 0. Give an honest review, both of them have only given 1-3 reviews overall.
  38. May 21, 2011
    With Portal 2 this year I was pretty sure that I wouldn't have to think about which game is the best ever made...but then came the Witcher 2.
    I was really sceptic because Dragon Age 2 was so bad that I lost my interest in RPG's but I tried the Witcher 2 and it blew me away.
    The characters are all interesting and or funny, the graphic and interface is genius, the combat is very challenging but still fun and the story makes you play without a break as you want to know what will happen. A perfect 10.0
    ALL quests are interesting and fun no matter how small, a masterpiece.
  39. Jun 12, 2011
    To be honest with you guys, I am not a huge RPG fan, but this is just........special. Simply jaw-dropping graphics with amazing draw distance, environments and atmosphere, challenging difficulty, great combat, immersive story, engaging characters, and deep RPG mechanics/ customization. This is the game that does everything beautifully. If you are a RPG fan, you are going to admire thisTo be honest with you guys, I am not a huge RPG fan, but this is just........special. Simply jaw-dropping graphics with amazing draw distance, environments and atmosphere, challenging difficulty, great combat, immersive story, engaging characters, and deep RPG mechanics/ customization. This is the game that does everything beautifully. If you are a RPG fan, you are going to admire this without a doubt. If you are not a RPG fan, this will turn you into one. Job well done, CD Projekt. You have a created a title that will remembered and praised for its remarkableness. Expand
  40. May 21, 2011
    One of the worst games I have ever played. It only works on the low spec, despite having a really good computer, half of the tips are completely useless since they show up after you have performed the action and the overall game experience is really ****

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
  41. May 18, 2011
    I needed about 5 minutes of playing The Witcher 2 to realize CD Projekt have outdone themselves. Great atmosphere, interesting plot and witty dialogue come together to produce a truly addictive game.
  42. Nov 23, 2011
    For me, its not only GOTY, its frakin Game Of A Decade. I've finished TW2 4 times so far and still i have desire for more. I've been Sapkowski's fan since his first short story release in some fantasy magazine, so prolly thats a huge part of my impression. For me, even Tolkien can go to kindergarten with his childish stories compared to Sapkowsi's work (thats exactly what i though whenFor me, its not only GOTY, its frakin Game Of A Decade. I've finished TW2 4 times so far and still i have desire for more. I've been Sapkowski's fan since his first short story release in some fantasy magazine, so prolly thats a huge part of my impression. For me, even Tolkien can go to kindergarten with his childish stories compared to Sapkowsi's work (thats exactly what i though when i've read "The Witcher" and "A Road Your not coming back from" for the first time back in that 1988 or something). Graphic wise, theres no competition for that game. Looks absolutely stunning. Like i've said, GOTY is not enough for that title. Expand
  43. May 17, 2011
    M_Stannard's review is a sharp bit of sarcasm oriented to Dragon Age 2, it's clear :) Though, why just for the sake of sarcasm give a really good game (The Witcher 2) a negative score? Think about it, M_Stannard, because it may misguide people, who look only at scores chart and do not actually read your review. Because if one reads your review, it's immediately apparent that it's sarcasticM_Stannard's review is a sharp bit of sarcasm oriented to Dragon Age 2, it's clear :) Though, why just for the sake of sarcasm give a really good game (The Witcher 2) a negative score? Think about it, M_Stannard, because it may misguide people, who look only at scores chart and do not actually read your review. Because if one reads your review, it's immediately apparent that it's sarcastic :)

Now, about The Witcher 2 - the game is really, really great!!!
  44. May 18, 2011
    A masterpiece of RPG genre. CD Projekt delivered everything they promised and more, one of the best RPG's i have played in recent years. Definitely a game of the year 2011 candidate.

Shame the score is being destroyed by some idiots.
  45. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. I think it is the best RPG in 2011. interesting story, great adventure, good dialogues and amazing graphics, very good music and sounds. World in game is deep, dark and brutal.To be honest - game has a few, small defects but it does not affect in pleasure from game. I recommend the witcher 2 all fans of RPG in particular fans of first part of the Witcher. Expand
  46. May 18, 2011
    I am sure that the Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings will be RPG of the year 2011. Amazing graphics, great and nonlinear story, nice dialogs, tactical and innovative combat system are just a few of many advantages of The Witcher 2:Assassins of Kings. For sure each money are worth to spend on this game.
  47. May 17, 2011
    Wow. What else can be said? Phenomenal graphics, excellent dialog, bits of dark humor, superb combat system, tons of items, skills, and abilities...Just a complete and total upgrade over the first. I would have given the first a solid 7.5. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away. The Witcher 2, however, is one of the greatest RPGs I've ever played. I was anxiously waiting for Skyrim to get myWow. What else can be said? Phenomenal graphics, excellent dialog, bits of dark humor, superb combat system, tons of items, skills, and abilities...Just a complete and total upgrade over the first. I would have given the first a solid 7.5. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away. The Witcher 2, however, is one of the greatest RPGs I've ever played. I was anxiously waiting for Skyrim to get my RPG fix but the Witcher 2 has completely changed that. Can't say enough about this fantastic game. If you're on the fence, do not hesitate. This will be a challenger for Game of the Year without a doubt. Expand
  48. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most immersive cRPG games ever made. If your are fan of Dark Fantasy Worlds, you must own it. I didn't have so much fun with RPG game since the last Witcher or even better .... Planescape Torment!!! Expand
  49. May 17, 2011
    The best cRPG i have ever played!! Beautiful graphic, epic history, perfect sound. In my opinion the best game of 2011. There is nothing more to say.
  50. May 17, 2011
    Great game, the translation wasnt the best, but everything else was great, good story, lost of locations to explore, the combat was good, and let me tell you, this game is very easy on the eyes, and for the people complaining about their machines not running the game well, well thats too bad, get a high end PC or stick with console gaming.

Bioware needs to take a look at what a real

Bioware needs to take a look at what a real studio can do when they put their mind to it, this makes DA2 look shameful in almost every category.
  51. May 17, 2011
    I had just finished Dragon Age 2 like 4 days ago, and i believed to be "great" but after playing throughout half of The witcher 2, don't take me wrong, but i just can't go back, the graphics and artistic design are too impressive, and the game play on par or better, although a sightly difficult game (to be on normal difficult setting) and very demanding on the computer, can't complain theI had just finished Dragon Age 2 like 4 days ago, and i believed to be "great" but after playing throughout half of The witcher 2, don't take me wrong, but i just can't go back, the graphics and artistic design are too impressive, and the game play on par or better, although a sightly difficult game (to be on normal difficult setting) and very demanding on the computer, can't complain the graphics are superb, the story so far so good, just waiting for the credits to roll out but that won't change my perception of the game which i believed to be not just great but nothing short of "AMAZING". Expand
  52. May 17, 2011
    Great game with a great storyline, amaizing graphics, interesting characters, good combat.

one of the best RPG games i have ever played.

screw DA 2 that game is not even worth to download its the worst pile of sh..t i have ever played and stop lowering the ratings u bioware pricks
  53. May 18, 2011
    One of the best games ive have the privilege to play in a long time, this is the future of gaming. Well done in taking RPG to the next level. Kind of weird to see so many weirdos from BSN here rating a great game down, just feeling butthurt i guess cause DA2 was a flop.
  54. May 18, 2011
    I am trying to think of an accurate way to describe this game, which has completely blown me away. How about the best RPG I have played since Planescape Torment? I hope that says enough.
  55. May 18, 2011
    The best Polish RPG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And ( I think) the Best RPG of this year
  56. May 18, 2011
    I signed up, just to counteract those insane low scores. This is an incredible game, you can see so much love poured in, from the npc's who live out their lives, to the buildings that have very detailed interiors. It seems as if the first city was literally cobbled together with a hammer and chisel. The combat is a little tough until you get used to using your brain (other RPG's make youI signed up, just to counteract those insane low scores. This is an incredible game, you can see so much love poured in, from the npc's who live out their lives, to the buildings that have very detailed interiors. It seems as if the first city was literally cobbled together with a hammer and chisel. The combat is a little tough until you get used to using your brain (other RPG's make you click so was not used to it). Interactions with other npcs is great, you can craft weapons Armour and make potions, all of which can help or hinder you. There are consequences to drinking to much potions do to toxicity, plus every potion has pros and cons eg cats potion which lets you see in the dark does not help you see in the light. Everything in the game can be enhanced which is a must when versing some foes. There is so much more to talk about, like all the free dlc thats coming, to the amazing box you get with lots of goodies at a normal price great side quests no fetching missions. Don't believe those 0/10 scores, I don't know why anyone would give this game a score like that, the only thing those people are doing is just making others sign up to give it a good score. Go buy the game, btw I can run most options on high except textures which are at the maximum, yet I only have an 8800GTX. Expand
  57. May 19, 2011
    This is a great rpg, the best I have ever played. I find it funny how people who rate this game badly rated Dragon Age 2 10/10. I bet they did not even play the game.
  58. May 19, 2011
    I love F:NV, but after playing TW 2 all i can say is: The Witcher 2 is the best RPG i ever played.... in my opinion it is Game of the Year 2011. Story is great and nonlinear. Music, world, choices , graphics - everything looks amazing! it is masterpiece from CDP Red. That is how should looks modern RPG! I belive it starts new chapter for RPG genere. No more crap like DA2, no more milkingI love F:NV, but after playing TW 2 all i can say is: The Witcher 2 is the best RPG i ever played.... in my opinion it is Game of the Year 2011. Story is great and nonlinear. Music, world, choices , graphics - everything looks amazing! it is masterpiece from CDP Red. That is how should looks modern RPG! I belive it starts new chapter for RPG genere. No more crap like DA2, no more milking players by stupid DLC. Expand
  59. May 19, 2011
    Hands down the best rpg I've played in years, far far better imo at least then dragon age origins, and blows dragon age 2 out of the water.

They talk about choice in other games but yet to see one that can diverge as much as witcher does.

Is it 100%? no it has flaws, some people have trouble running it I hear, though as luck would have it i'm not one of them.
  60. May 19, 2011
    Combat/Difficulty = 10: This game is incredibly challenging. Many users will be put off by the lack of help or kindergarten button mashing. At any level above easy this game requires a combination of preparation, strategy, action style timing, and patience. There is a sense of discovery when figuring out how to take down a monster or well armored and shielded characters.

Gameplay =

Gameplay = 9.0: The various mini games are a riot. They offer a nice break from fighting and make me think of games like Ultima 7. This game is polished and relatively bug free. The only real knock against gameplay is the targeting system, while better than most, it can be hard to lock on to certain objects.

Story = 9.5: It isn't the epic feel, incredible polish, or voice acting that stand out here. It is the dark and brutal atmosphere in a world where you are both loved and hated that bring this game alive. Motivations aren't simply good or bad, they are neither. Characters are fleshed out, actually most are fantastic, but Geralt takes the cake. He is the quintessential tough guy. I want to be Geralt! Thank you Andrzej Sapkowski! DA:2 tried to play the middle ground, but at the end of the day everyone was just an evil one-dimensional punk...The Witcher 2 truly succeeds here.

Graphics = 9.5: The graphics are stunning, the environments are beautiful, the main characters are absolutely fantastic. I do take a little bit of fault with some of the character animations which is why I slipped this one to a 9.5. Other than that little bit, this is the best looking game I've seen in a RPG.

Sound = 10: The musical score in this game blows me away. I feel like I'm listening to Wing Commander 3 for the first time again. I sometimes just sit back in my seat and listen to the music.
  61. May 19, 2011
    Just bought this game this morning at my local Gamestop. couldn't find it elsewhere and wanted a physical copy. It has been years since I have played a game this well made. I have never seen so much detail put into the ambiance and life of a town (haven't got that far yet). I'm so glad that are some dedicated developers out there still, they seem to be a dying breed. Really lookingJust bought this game this morning at my local Gamestop. couldn't find it elsewhere and wanted a physical copy. It has been years since I have played a game this well made. I have never seen so much detail put into the ambiance and life of a town (haven't got that far yet). I'm so glad that are some dedicated developers out there still, they seem to be a dying breed. Really looking forward to finishing it and replaying for the multiple endings and outcomes. Expand
  62. May 20, 2011
    I have played many RPG's in my life, but i have to say, this is the best yet. I won't go into details as the many other positive comments echo my sentiments. Those who moan about the combat, you need to learn how to play. The controls are responsive, and the player needs to use ALL his abilities to survive, this is not a hack-and-slash. Get lost in this game, you will love it!
  63. May 21, 2011
    I think it's probably the rpg of the year.
    This game have splendid graphic, no censorship at all (in dialogue romance etc...), lifefull environment.
    The story follow start where witcher 1 end.
    After the deception of dragon age2, it's good to see one good rpg this year.
  64. May 21, 2011
    Good:
    - graphics is amazing
    - superb story - this is not your regular hack and slash rpg ~~ Bad: - inventory mechanics is a bit disorganized and sometimes confusing. - item looting is lame; picking up items is too fast that i don't even see what i'm picking up because it just grabs everything. - bugs are present but should be fixed with future patches. - fighting animation should be
    Good:
    - graphics is amazing
    - superb story
    - this is not your regular hack and slash rpg

~~ Bad:
    - inventory mechanics is a bit disorganized and sometimes confusing.
    - bugs are present but should be fixed with future patches.
    - fighting animation should be enhanced more; it's like slashing through paper every time i hit a monster.

~~ Conclusion:
    a well made game but not a perfect one.
  65. May 22, 2011
    Although I'm only a few hours into the game, I'm quite enjoying it despite a few bugs and a surprising difficulty. I've also found the story to be quite entertaining, while still understandable to someone who read the plot of the first game on Wikipedia, the day before release. It's also extremely pretty. Man oh man do I love me some pretty graphics, although it did take a little bit ofAlthough I'm only a few hours into the game, I'm quite enjoying it despite a few bugs and a surprising difficulty. I've also found the story to be quite entertaining, while still understandable to someone who read the plot of the first game on Wikipedia, the day before release. It's also extremely pretty. Man oh man do I love me some pretty graphics, although it did take a little bit of tweaking for it to run at 30 fps on my pretty good tier machine. I can run the game with most settings on with the exception of the hated Uber Sampling, and still get a solid 25-30 fps. Although I do believe the developers could have done a little more optimization, along with a little more bug fixing. Expand
  66. May 22, 2011
    Don't believe the hype, it's an o.k game, but not a goty, graphics is 8/10 ( with a powerful pc ) , combat 7/10 (hack & slash ) , story is 8/10, controls and interface = consolport, it deserves an eigth , but not better .
  67. May 22, 2011
    Great sequel to a solid game. Witcher 2 has breathtaking graphics. Story is great and has much replayability due to your choices. Good community. Only con is a small studio about to be overwhelmed with success. The initial sales has put a lot of stress on their infrastructure.

A definite buy!!!
  68. May 23, 2011
    The Witcher 2 shows us how overrated some of the other so called 10/10 games are. Truly great game in all areas, the combat is really hard but once you get the hand of it you will really enjoy it and the graphics are the best in RPG History, truly mind-blowing and a great demonstration why we need new consoles already to play games like The Witcher 2 which can only be fully experienced onThe Witcher 2 shows us how overrated some of the other so called 10/10 games are. Truly great game in all areas, the combat is really hard but once you get the hand of it you will really enjoy it and the graphics are the best in RPG History, truly mind-blowing and a great demonstration why we need new consoles already to play games like The Witcher 2 which can only be fully experienced on a powerful PC. Expand
  69. May 24, 2011
    While The Witcher 2 does have some minor flaws, none of them is crucial enough to spoil it's perfect presentation and incredible gameplay. Interesting characters, challenging combat and decisions with a deep impact on the story told, make this one of the best RPGs that have ever been released. If you are in any way attracted to RPGs, you don't want to miss out on this game.
  70. May 24, 2011
    This game is simply amazing but with a few flaws which is why i don't give it a 10. The environments are constrictive(not enough freedom) and the game is too short imo(about 24 hours without side quests, 40 hours with). BUT in every other way this is the BEST rpg ive ever played. The gameplay, meaningful choices, story, atmosphere, characters, graphics are all wonderful. Hats offThis game is simply amazing but with a few flaws which is why i don't give it a 10. The environments are constrictive(not enough freedom) and the game is too short imo(about 24 hours without side quests, 40 hours with). BUT in every other way this is the BEST rpg ive ever played. The gameplay, meaningful choices, story, atmosphere, characters, graphics are all wonderful. Hats off CDproject. And Iorveth rocks. Expand
  71. May 26, 2011
    Fantastic game, without the proper tools to do the job, combat can be hard and frustrating in the beginning, but as you level up it becomes extremely enjoyable with lots of different tactical possibilities. Story is rich and deep and draws you in. Graphics are simply stunning, have yet to see such a beautiful and detailed digital world elsewhere. The game is practically bug free. If youFantastic game, without the proper tools to do the job, combat can be hard and frustrating in the beginning, but as you level up it becomes extremely enjoyable with lots of different tactical possibilities. Story is rich and deep and draws you in. Graphics are simply stunning, have yet to see such a beautiful and detailed digital world elsewhere. The game is practically bug free. If you like RPG's its a must buy. Expand
  72. Oct 25, 2011
    This game has a lot going for it, the characters are deep and the story is very good. My only complain about this game is the inventory system that can be pretty annoying at times.. But don't let that discourage you from getting a really good game and on of the best RPG's that has come out this year
  73. May 28, 2011
    Perfect RPG, from the adult oriented story to the superb graphics. GOTY for sure. No other game comes close to touching TW:AoK. Do yourself a favor, trade in your copy of Dragon Age 2, or simply break it in half, then go get The Witcher 2. Do it to it.
  74. Dec 12, 2011
    Visceral combat, gorgeous graphics, engrossing story. CD Projekt gives us the experience Bioware failed to deliver with DA2. I heard some disappointment about the conclusion of the story, but I don't share those sentiments. It could've been longer of course, but that can be said of any good thing.
  75. Jun 2, 2011
    Aside from the stunning visuals, interesting characters and fun gameplay, what makes the game shine is the obvious love the developers put into making this game. There is such attention to detail, and it's this attention to detail that provides a level of immersion that is almost unparalleled. The game does have a few negatives which prevent me from giving it a 10:
    I would have liked to be
    I would have liked to be able to resocket runes, mutagens, and possible respec my talents. the combat has a steep learning curve, it isn't terribly hard, it just takes some getting used to.
  76. Jun 21, 2011
    Most unsatisfying game play EVER. I want to like a cool fantasy rpg, but graphics and a story don't make a game, they make a show. Sluggish and unnatural movement and no combat system turn this cool-vibe-game into a purely frustrating experience. Yuck!
  77. Jun 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. very good maded history, there is some technical bugs like a thievery the houses, high rigs requirements, no possibility to drink mixtures durring fight so you have to be prepared for all the time , poor equipment, no tutorial so for me it was annoying think to have full equip and dont know how to use it, specially mixtures, very hard fight against many even week enemies, etc... but the story and great music compensate thoose thinks, ANYWAY it was so close to made PERFECT GAME..... Expand
  78. Jun 13, 2011
    One of the best single player RPG I have played in a while. Great story, graphics and combat system, everything seems to be improved from TW1. Much needed after the DA2 letdown.
  79. Jun 13, 2011
    A true masterpiece of the computer gaming world! I enjoyed every minute of playing this game. The story will engross you and take you deep into a magical world. The game is made with passion. It is at heart a game made by gamers for gamers. Highly recommended. A near perfect RPG with all the key ingredients that make it so immersing. JUST BEAUTIFUL. I felt proud to buy this game.
  80. Jun 19, 2011
    Game has a story I can really get into mixed in with solid gameplay and combat. Played it on hard and it actually gave me a ridiculously hard yet rewarding experience right to the end of the game. Replaying it again because your choices affect the outcome of the story and I want to see what I missed. Tip: If the fights seem too hard, you just need to adjust how you approach them. EveryGame has a story I can really get into mixed in with solid gameplay and combat. Played it on hard and it actually gave me a ridiculously hard yet rewarding experience right to the end of the game. Replaying it again because your choices affect the outcome of the story and I want to see what I missed. Tip: If the fights seem too hard, you just need to adjust how you approach them. Every enemy type acts differently and has a Achilles Heel. Expand
  81. Aug 3, 2011
    Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!
  82. Jun 21, 2011
    This is a my personal GOTY so far. This game has everything that any other game want and more. Graphics are beautiful, combat is involving and tactical, the story is non linear and just plain amazing. This and Portal 2 are one of my favorite games of the year. Now, this game has some small problems, such as clunky inventory. But these problems are completely overshadowed by the game'sThis is a my personal GOTY so far. This game has everything that any other game want and more. Graphics are beautiful, combat is involving and tactical, the story is non linear and just plain amazing. This and Portal 2 are one of my favorite games of the year. Now, this game has some small problems, such as clunky inventory. But these problems are completely overshadowed by the game's other amazing qualities. Coupled with the fact that devs are continuously supporting the game with patches and DLC makes this game a must BUY this year. I would give this game 9/10 but will rate as 10/10 to counter other 0/10 from haters. Expand
  83. Sep 19, 2012
    I already bought and completed the game, but I still feel the need to throw money at my screen. This game is a monumental achievement in the modern age of RPGs; even if the map navigation is kind of frustrating, if not useless. The first game was great, but this one is just incredible.
  84. Jul 27, 2011
    I really love this game. I think the atmosphere and the graphics are really great. I love the non-vanilla approach to fantasy, the gritty feel of it. NO big evil badass to defeat, just the intrigue of a handful of morally wayward characters. But, as has been said elsewhere, I feel that some of the boss fights are ridiculous, and the lack of information on how you actually need to do stuffI really love this game. I think the atmosphere and the graphics are really great. I love the non-vanilla approach to fantasy, the gritty feel of it. NO big evil badass to defeat, just the intrigue of a handful of morally wayward characters. But, as has been said elsewhere, I feel that some of the boss fights are ridiculous, and the lack of information on how you actually need to do stuff is incredibly annoying. The developers could use a few usability lessons: this has got nothing to do with being hardcore or old style - this is just plain bad. Expand
  85. Jul 28, 2011
    This game features the most spectacular graphics, but the most random, counter-intuitive and meaningless gameplay I ever encountered. Let's put things in categories:
    1. Gerald attach strategy. Sometimes, when fighting 3 opponents at once, gameplay stops and Gerald performs a super-duper move which kill all of them at once. If I load the same save and do the same actions, no super moves will happen and I likely will be killed.
    2. Monster strategy. When fighting endera queens, the queen may use 20 times some simple attacks which Gerald can bloc, and once - another attack with exactly the same animation which blows through block and kills Gerald instantly. I tried the fight around 20 times and failed to figure out how to distinguish of prevent shield-breaking attack.
    3. Random quest givers. You may walk around the whole city and most NPC's won't have anything new to say to you. Instead, while wandering through the forest, an absolutely unexpected NPC will pop up and give you a quest. In most RPG's I expect to approach NPC's myself in most of the time in order to receive quests.
    4. Random quest order. Even if I received quests to fight two different kind of monsters, I have no clue where I should find them. I have no way to plan the order how to complete the quests. The solution is to simply walk the whole forest and to kill any monster you encounter.

And don't let me start about the menu.
  86. Aug 25, 2011
    The witcher 2 based on the quality of the witcher one this was an imidiate buy. Imagion my suprise then when the "RPG" they produced was one long hallway with nice decorations. instead of wandering a world making decisions on where to go you are railroaded down a couple branching paths. in some if you enjoyed the choice that the witcher 1 offered then this is going to drive you nuts. IThe witcher 2 based on the quality of the witcher one this was an imidiate buy. Imagion my suprise then when the "RPG" they produced was one long hallway with nice decorations. instead of wandering a world making decisions on where to go you are railroaded down a couple branching paths. in some if you enjoyed the choice that the witcher 1 offered then this is going to drive you nuts. I guess its not suprising that they have gone into god of war mode like bioware who also used to make good games. Expand
  87. Aug 27, 2011
    Game of the Year! The Witcher 2 has fantastic graphics; gripping characters and true replay value. I cannot measure the amount of satisfaction I've been given by CD Projekt. I hope they continue in the same vain and expand this fantastic World they have created in the much anticipated next expansion/game they release. There are minor issues that have most be resolved by the subsequentialGame of the Year! The Witcher 2 has fantastic graphics; gripping characters and true replay value. I cannot measure the amount of satisfaction I've been given by CD Projekt. I hope they continue in the same vain and expand this fantastic World they have created in the much anticipated next expansion/game they release. There are minor issues that have most be resolved by the subsequential patches provided by CD Projekt. The MAIN problem with the Witcher 2 is that it ends... and I hope this is addressed very soon! I strongly recommend this game to anyone out there ready to immerse themselves into a game and find the challenges posed in Assassin of Kings as rewarding as I've found them. Currently I'm on my 3rd play through of this game. Expand
  88. Sep 4, 2011
    What can i say? This game engages all of your emotions at the most human level. It is an outstanding example of modern interactive entertainment at its greatest!
  89. Jan 4, 2012
    This game tries to achive DirectX 11 graphics in the DirectX 9 API. There are some very technical D3D9 effects that should have been done in DirectX 11 but they are done in the slower DirectX 9 which is what makes this game more demanding on the graphics adapter than other games with better graphics. If you're rating only the gameplay and story, it is an easy game to pick up and be takenThis game tries to achive DirectX 11 graphics in the DirectX 9 API. There are some very technical D3D9 effects that should have been done in DirectX 11 but they are done in the slower DirectX 9 which is what makes this game more demanding on the graphics adapter than other games with better graphics. If you're rating only the gameplay and story, it is an easy game to pick up and be taken by because of the medival characters and environments. The conversation trees add to how the story is difficult to follow & the quests will be repetative. In conclusion the performance issue and obvious dated DX9 API graphics can be so distracting that it is difficult to follow the typical and predictable gameplay, but it is a very unique rendition about a medival story. Expand
  90. Mar 20, 2012
    After playing The Witcher 1 and reading what few of the books that have been translated into English; I pretty much knew what to expect in this cRPG. A mostly pre-made character, tons of grey characters, sex, violence, and an extremely provocative story. I was not disappointed. Fans of Skyrim (pretty much everybody and their moms) might not like this game, as it does not give you nearlyAfter playing The Witcher 1 and reading what few of the books that have been translated into English; I pretty much knew what to expect in this cRPG. A mostly pre-made character, tons of grey characters, sex, violence, and an extremely provocative story. I was not disappointed. Fans of Skyrim (pretty much everybody and their moms) might not like this game, as it does not give you nearly the same freedom, but that's okay because the story, combat, and characters surpass Bethesda's "masterpiece" by a huge margin. The presentation here is astounding. To top it all off the graphics are incredible. The engine might not be as robust as DICE's Frostbite 2's, but the artwork and attention to detail are simply astounding.

The only drawbacks to this game are a frustratingly difficult first act, some odd translation issues with expressions and dialogue options that don't make sense, and a rushed ending. I'll elaborate on the ending. It is good and very satisfying, but the third act initially seems like it was supposed to be much longer, and the end comes rather abruptly. The Enhanced edition seems like it will address these issues, and it is coming out next month. I highly recommend this game if you are a fan of low magic, dark-ish fantasy, and great writing. If you would prefer a more traditional, blank-slate cRPG with much crappier writing, then play Skyrim.
  91. Nov 15, 2011
    It was a really good game. But after patch it is perfect. New mode arena is great and it cause that you cannot stop playing it. Story is excellent, there is a lot of fight, everything is well balanced and there is no time for boredom.
  92. Dec 24, 2011
    The best rpg ever made. This game is at least on par with (if not better than) Baldur's Gate2.
    Rather than "dark" it's mature. The plot is thick with twits and turns and choices and characters who act like real people would, rather than the cartoon black and white personalities of most RPG characters.

Give it a try, definitely deserves your money.
  93. Feb 9, 2012
    Wonderfull game. Thanks to the Witcher 2 fantasy RPG fans had something to play in 2011, since Bioware completely destroyed their formerly stellar franchise with the awfull Dragon Age II.
  94. Mar 18, 2012
    No RPG could be compared with the witcher 2, maybe only Mass Effect.
    No RPG could be compared with the witcher 2, maybe only Mass Effect.
    Perfect in every aspect, but it is not an easy-to-understand game with a simple plot, flat characters and colourless dialogues (such as the overestimated Skyrim). It's a cinematografic experience, an immersive world full of violence and evil. The most interesting part of the gameplay is the fact that the story is not linear, but divides one game in two. Fantastic the aspect of morality and free will.
    A game that only mentally mature players can appreciate.
  95. Apr 26, 2012
    Yeah this game was really great but now with enhanced edition is 100% better than was ! Must have for sure for every rpg fan ! SO do not wait and go buy it :)
  96. Jun 1, 2012
    Definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Amazing story, compelling characters, incredible graphics and great battle mechanics. Congratulations CD Project RED - You've done great job making most immersing RPG ever.
  97. May 25, 2012
    IMHO, the best 2011 RPG (real RPG) game with an interesting story, unique well thought out world and quite challenging encounters and I like its humour :-). Shame it has not been advertised as much as other games for The Witcher is better than Skyrim (which appeared to be rather boring for me and anyway is not true RPG anymore, but has bigger marketing budjet to pay critics:-))
  98. Jul 5, 2012
    While the graphics are astounding, and the cut scenes are breathtaking, the actual game play is piss poor. When I actually have to plug in a controller on a computer to play a game correctly, something is dire wrong.
  99. May 18, 2011
    CDProjekt have made fools of Bioware with this game. This game is a good standard bearer for any company who needs an example of how to make a sequel. They have taken all that was great about the first game, carefully (and selectively) listened to the community criticisms and pretty much improved all aspects of the game in this sequel. This is the sort of RPG that I like to play, huge,CDProjekt have made fools of Bioware with this game. This game is a good standard bearer for any company who needs an example of how to make a sequel. They have taken all that was great about the first game, carefully (and selectively) listened to the community criticisms and pretty much improved all aspects of the game in this sequel. This is the sort of RPG that I like to play, huge, varied, incredibly detailed, superb graphics, great story and brilliant voice acting. I have played the game so far for 20+ hours and still have plenty to do. It certainly doesn't have the length of something like Oblivion or Dragon Age origins, but it does make up for it with it's detail and story which make it a pleasure to play. I can only hope that they do eventually release the SDK for the PC Modding community, because quite frankly that is the only thing that stops me from giving this game a 10 rating. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011