8.4

1. Feb 5, 2013
    I need to mention this especially since a sale is going on right now.

You need 8 gigs of ready ram to run this, so if you just have 8 gigs of sticks ready in your computer, your not gonna be able to run this because other programs are gonna use it. Upgrade to 12 to make sure you can run this. I get a low framerate on a 5700 which is expected with a resolution of about 1280-720. There
    I need to mention this especially since a sale is going on right now.

Upgrade to 12 to make sure you can run this. I get a low framerate on a 5700 which is expected with a resolution of about 1280-720. There are not any graphics options that can tweak this so bear all this in mind.

I can run crysis 2 in direct x 11 with the official texture and tesselation packs on ultra with around 25-30 FPS witcher 2 is about 24ish.

As for the game, can't exactly play it but that's kind of a problem, gonna give it an 8 but take that with a grain of salt (I have to submit a review nonetheless to put out this message).
  2. Dec 31, 2011
    Cd project one more time give us an excellent modern rpg with a complex deep story. Cd project create again a high quality game with fantastic graphics, excellent sound and a very good gameplay. A must play for all rpg fans
  3. Nov 21, 2014
    The world of witcher is incredibly intriguing and rich. Monarchs being **** people are out to get others, violence, corruption, etc. I am amazed that such a short game can give me all of that, and I am eager to learn more. Its multiple paths tell the story from different perspectives, and your actions actually have consequences that you would care about during the game, and that is a rareThe world of witcher is incredibly intriguing and rich. Monarchs being **** people are out to get others, violence, corruption, etc. I am amazed that such a short game can give me all of that, and I am eager to learn more. Its multiple paths tell the story from different perspectives, and your actions actually have consequences that you would care about during the game, and that is a rare find in recent games, or any games. There are characters that I actually grow to love and care about, which is great.

Releasing the Enhanced Edition for free is just CDPR being awesome towards players. The side quests are fun things, unlike some of the "MMO quests" adopted by a certain company. They might be similar but you do feel the difference as each type of monsters need a different means to exterminate.

Downsides: combat wise it feels like the PC gains more powerful too quickly and scales out of control, and the actiony combat can be repetitive. Also the game's system requirements are ridiculous and I still sometimes get lags on a PC I bought 3 years after its release. The more save files you have, the longer loading screens you experience - definitely an issue (I have to manually delete saves outside of the game as deleting inside is a chore). Also the game is too short, which gives me a sad face.
  4. Mar 16, 2014
    One of the greatest games ever made, every thing about this game is excellent. The attention to detail that CD Projekt had during this project is obvious. It is one of the best looking games around, and the gameplay is surprisingly great (considering that sword-based combat games usually lack in that department), the story is fantastic and wonderfully voice acted. This is one of the bestOne of the greatest games ever made, every thing about this game is excellent. The attention to detail that CD Projekt had during this project is obvious. It is one of the best looking games around, and the gameplay is surprisingly great (considering that sword-based combat games usually lack in that department), the story is fantastic and wonderfully voice acted. This is one of the best games ever made. 10/10! Expand
  5. Apr 27, 2013
    No other game can compete with the Witcher 2 's narration. Perhaps a game like Uncharted has a cinematically superior method of presenting the story, but the Witcher 2 has the best story ever. The game is over 30 hours long. It stays in a chapter for a while, but doesn't overstay its welcome. The gameplay is phenomenal to say the least. The 3 different specializations (swordplay, magic,No other game can compete with the Witcher 2 's narration. Perhaps a game like Uncharted has a cinematically superior method of presenting the story, but the Witcher 2 has the best story ever. The game is over 30 hours long. It stays in a chapter for a while, but doesn't overstay its welcome. The gameplay is phenomenal to say the least. The 3 different specializations (swordplay, magic, alchemy) totally change the approach you must take in combat, each of which are awesome to experience. Expand
  6. May 18, 2011
    Amazing game, not a thing to criticise yet. Totally caught me off-guard and improved basically ALL the negative points I found while playing the first installment.

Without a doubt, CD Projekt LEARNED a lot since the first game and watched what people have been saying about other RPGs these past years. The Witcher 2 really knows how to impress!
  7. Nov 14, 2011
    a compeling story with much action and beauty. Graphics are breathtaking and the gameplay the same. amazing fight scenes and fluid controls. With a new arena mode and constant free DLC's what more can you ask for?
  8. Feb 11, 2012
    I would say 9.5 but I'll round up to 10. This game isn't PERFECT, but it's amazing. Great story, great sound, great functionality - I think I had a bug once? I don't really remember. It was minor. Better programmed than blockbuser 100 million dollar titles, better looking, more fun, more interesting, more new. This is one of those games that will live on in my memories fondly. I'm aI would say 9.5 but I'll round up to 10. This game isn't PERFECT, but it's amazing. Great story, great sound, great functionality - I think I had a bug once? I don't really remember. It was minor. Better programmed than blockbuser 100 million dollar titles, better looking, more fun, more interesting, more new. This is one of those games that will live on in my memories fondly. I'm a huge fan of other games like ME1, ME2 and many other RPGs that really blew me out of the water much like this one. I was extremely disappointed to see this wasn't even on the LIST of GOTY from BAFTA for 2011. I am a long-term hardcore battlefield fan and fan of other series on that list, but this game beats them all hands down and I'm sure many others would agree. Expand
  9. Feb 27, 2012
    Got it by the case and was set up critical. But totally changed my mind so soon..
    One of the greatest games ever. Same rank as Mass Effect. Enjoyed from beginning to the end and still want to play it again different storyline. Great game.
  10. Aug 10, 2011
    Very good game and worth your money. The story is interestin, characters are very memorable and all in all a very good game. A bit to short but thats about the only negative thing there is to say.
  11. Nov 3, 2011
    Wow I was really amazed by that game. Story-wise this game is same level of interest if not better than assassins creed series.
    Its Best RPG i have ever played. incredible graphics.
    It had greater level of impression on me than when dragon age origins came out. 10+/10 diablo 2 < Dragon age 2 < Dragon Age Origins < Witcher 2 there is Baldurs Gate game that i havent played, and witcher To
    Its Best RPG i have ever played. incredible graphics.
    It had greater level of impression on me than when dragon age origins came out.
    10+/10
    diablo 2 < Dragon age 2 < Dragon Age Origins < Witcher 2
    there is Baldurs Gate game that i havent played, and witcher
    To beat this game, Blizzard and Bioware Betheda and others would have to work really hard
  12. Dec 30, 2011
    This game is awsome, the story, the graphics, the characters... but it kinda feels repetitive because there is not much variety in enemies, but its totally worth playing.
  13. Jun 15, 2012
    Actually, apretty good game. The graphics are superb, as are the sound effects.
    The story is axcellent, but the story-telling not so much. Obviously afraid to give out too much information ahead of time, this game gives you not enough during the course of the game to fully immerse you.
    And then, the ending rushes it just a bit too much to make this a truly great game.
  14. Jun 2, 2011
    Incredible game, sadly marred by some design issues. Don't get me wrong, besides a few little things, this game is a 10. No, not a 10 like critics hand out left right and middle. I mean a REAL 10/10. The story is fantastically good. I got pulled in within the first minute, and I'm not easy to pull in. The graphics are out of this world. The atmosphere, the world, the detail, it all shows aIncredible game, sadly marred by some design issues. Don't get me wrong, besides a few little things, this game is a 10. No, not a 10 like critics hand out left right and middle. I mean a REAL 10/10. The story is fantastically good. I got pulled in within the first minute, and I'm not easy to pull in. The graphics are out of this world. The atmosphere, the world, the detail, it all shows a staggering amount of care in its development. The voice acting, which some seem to think could be improved, is fully sufficient in my opinion. This is a game, not a movie.

Sadly there are a few things that are simply done wrong in this game. Quicktime events, which reek of console and taking the player for a 9-year-old, in an adult game, with nudity and STRONG language. And then there is the interface, like looting, which is fairly cumbersome, and finally, combat is clunky at times (and most of the time it is great). For these 3 blemishes on what is otherwise a TRUE MASTERPIECE, I remove 0.5/10 each, for a total of -1.5 on what would otherwise be a solid 10/10.

Overall it is a truly great game, one you will enjoy tremendously if you aren't extremely picky about controls and interface.
  15. May 18, 2011
    http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings/review/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-review/a-201105171466879070/g-20100323131251436086/p-2 This is a link to a very detailed review of the game, specifically page 2. If the pictures in the center of the page offend you (you'll know the ones) then don't buy or comment on this game. The former because thehttp://www.gamesradar.com/pc/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings/review/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-review/a-201105171466879070/g-20100323131251436086/p-2 This is a link to a very detailed review of the game, specifically page 2. If the pictures in the center of the page offend you (you'll know the ones) then don't buy or comment on this game. The former because the game is not your style, and the latter because no one cares about your moral high ground. For that matter, if anything in that review offends you, just quit now for everyone's sake. For everyone else... This is my Pre-Skyrim pick for Game of the Year, hands down! It's really the RPG you don't want to miss. Not kidding. Just get it, you'll see what I mean. Expand
  16. May 17, 2011
    Same price across regions? Check
    Free DLC forever? Check

CD Projekt is the anti-EA/Bioware
  17. Jun 1, 2011
    Follow up review. After having played through the entire game twice (and going back for a third), I feel this is the best game I've played so far this year and well into last year. Graphics are terrific with an amazing amount of detail. Gameplay is easy to learn, hard to master. Cut-scenes are well-placed and non-intrusive. The story is intreguing and, best of all, it doesn't holdFollow up review. After having played through the entire game twice (and going back for a third), I feel this is the best game I've played so far this year and well into last year. Graphics are terrific with an amazing amount of detail. Gameplay is easy to learn, hard to master. Cut-scenes are well-placed and non-intrusive. The story is intreguing and, best of all, it doesn't hold your hand like you're a mentally-challanged 10 year-old. This is truly what PC gaming is all about, brought to the next level. Has similarities to DA2, but beats the pants off of it in all respects. For those publications that rated this lower than a 9 (and lower than other inferior big-name games), any reasonably intelligent reader knows whose hands are dirty here. Expand
  18. Jun 6, 2011
    This games is a triumph. Also very different from it's amazing predecessor it is more focused, more epic and it gives you more choice while at the same time it makes you feel like a small piece of wood on a stormy ocean. After finishing it once i have immediately restarted it. And i feel the same excitement i felt when i first installed it. It is a once in a lifetime experience thatThis games is a triumph. Also very different from it's amazing predecessor it is more focused, more epic and it gives you more choice while at the same time it makes you feel like a small piece of wood on a stormy ocean. After finishing it once i have immediately restarted it. And i feel the same excitement i felt when i first installed it. It is a once in a lifetime experience that should be played by everyone. I would especially recommend this to young players despite it's mature content. It is a lesson about life and it s a lesson about gaming. What it was and what it should be. 10/10. GOTY. Best RPG of this decade so far! Expand
  19. May 17, 2011
    This is what Bioware failed to deliver, a true RPG experience. If you can't get the job done, others do it for you and take your money. In your face BIOWARE.
  20. Sep 6, 2011
    CD Projekt blew us away with this game. It's just simply epic. The graphics are the most beautiful as of now. The storyline is so not linear that beating this game at least twice is a must. Seriously, I don't like comparing games but Bioware should learn from The Witcher 2 how "not linear" game should look like! Since the choices we do and how they affect everything... It's just aCD Projekt blew us away with this game. It's just simply epic. The graphics are the most beautiful as of now. The storyline is so not linear that beating this game at least twice is a must. Seriously, I don't like comparing games but Bioware should learn from The Witcher 2 how "not linear" game should look like! Since the choices we do and how they affect everything... It's just a masterpiece. The fighting is way improved compared to the first The Witcher game. And more challenging, as well. The game seemed really difficult at first which I enjoyed greatly, and later down it just seemed to get ridiculously easy as I kept leveling up. But honestly, that didn't stop me from enjoying the game. Another "bad" think I must point out is that the game seemed a lot shorter to me than the first The Witcher but maybe it only seems like that since the game is so damn epic. Oh, and all the DLCs that CD Projekt keeps releasing, for free... Not many developers are like that! Plus even the normal box edition is quite rich and has some cool stuff compared to other games in that price range. Pros: -Non linear story. -Beautiful graphics. -Highly replayable. -A lot better fighting compared to the first Witcher game. Cons: -First off seems difficult, then gets really easy. At least at normal difficulty level. Expand
  21. Aug 20, 2013
    If you enjoyed the Witcher, you will love this. It's improved in almost every single way. You can carry your save over as well. All in all amazing game, I definitely recommend.
  22. Aug 25, 2012
    Initially I turned The Witcher 2 down being biased against console style RPGs. Luckily, I accidentally tried it and I was immediately hooked in. The Witcher 2 (enhanced edition) is truly a gem. I had to enjoy so much an RPG, since Mass Effect 1. Behind the console style design, there is a deep, old school core waiting to absorb you. The graphics, the story, the non-linearities, itsInitially I turned The Witcher 2 down being biased against console style RPGs. Luckily, I accidentally tried it and I was immediately hooked in. The Witcher 2 (enhanced edition) is truly a gem. I had to enjoy so much an RPG, since Mass Effect 1. Behind the console style design, there is a deep, old school core waiting to absorb you. The graphics, the story, the non-linearities, its gameplay variety remind me of KoToR. Well done TW2 team. I give it a 10 wholeheartedly. Expand
  23. Dec 15, 2011
    I bought this just after finishing Skyrim and the experience was jarring. Skyrim is huge, free flowing and fun. In comparison witcher 2 feels small, cramped and constraining. It does have its good points like some good combat but thats offset by how short it is (its truly tiny), the lack of freedom, and the awful awful boss battles.

Still its an OK game, just made to look very weak by Skyrim.
  24. Mar 7, 2013
    Never trust your initial reaction...some people just don't have any patience and tend to blow things off immediately for little to no reason at all. Back in the day, I blew the first Witcher off because the genre and the thematic didn't interest me. I said "oh no, fantasy games are for nerdy effeminate geeks" I had just heard about it on the internet, but never looked into it, or everNever trust your initial reaction...some people just don't have any patience and tend to blow things off immediately for little to no reason at all. Back in the day, I blew the first Witcher off because the genre and the thematic didn't interest me. I said "oh no, fantasy games are for nerdy effeminate geeks" I had just heard about it on the internet, but never looked into it, or ever imagined I would be playing it. 2011 came up, The Witcher 2 came out. Back then, I was playing Modern Warfare 2 or Bad Company 2 and was never interested in role-playing games or the like. What I first heard about this game was the whole hype about the graphics about one month before it was released. Back then I was already the proud owner of my first computer I ever assembled myself, and it consisted of an AMD Phenom II x4 965 (now 4 years old), 8GB DDR3 RAM, and two ATI HD5770's (which have since been replaced by two AMD HD7770's). And I said why not, I'll give it a try. So I drove to Kmart and bought this game (Another reason I heard about it was because it was a gift to Obama form a Polish delegate, so that caught my attention too, because it was all over the news). I was eager to see the reason why the media was hyping this game so much. The game play was confusing at first, I was not used to that type of difficulty in a game ever, but that was my fault, it took some time to figure it all out. At first I tried to hack and slash, but that failed miserably. Gearalt kept dying on me in like two hits. I wanted to give up, but then I started to look things up on the internet (that's how I basically got through the game the first time). I discovered you had to combine the signs, sword fighting and potions to beat monsters and bosses. What I most enjoyed about this game is you can craft armor and swords, because not only do they help you in the game, it gives Geralt a very elegant and slick appearance. I like the art style in general, it is an improvement over the first Witcher (sadly I am playing the first Witcher now and it's 2013, I was obligated to go back and play it). I can say almost everything was an improvement from the first Witcher. In the Witcher 1, you constantly draw the wrong sword, like for example when fighting humans I accidentally draw the silver sword which is not effective against them, I have to sit there and wait until he draws the correct sword to be able to beat them. This is not a problem in The Witcher 2. Another improvement is the signs. In the Witcher 1, you get the signs through exploration and quests. If you miss a quest or a place where a sign stone is located, you can never get that sign. For example to get Igni, you have to explore a cave in the first chapter, but if you never do for whatever reason, you will never get igni. In the Witcher 2 you already have all the sighs by default. Quen is by far the most useful because it gives you impenetrable armor for 30 seconds. The story in the Witcher 1 is superb, however I beleive The witcher 2 surpases it. The facial expressions and body movements and character animation help get the point across very well (this is one reason the graphics help). Decision making is also an improvement, but it can be confusing at first. A couple of times I found myself reloading saves because I said, "oh no I didn't want to do that, I wanted to do this instead" or "oh no, I didn't like how that turned out." But then I discovered that was not a bad thing at all. Unlike the first Witcher, The Witcher 2 doesn't penalize you for decisions. In the Witcher 1, you can fail or miss whole quests by making other decisions. For example if you make Kalkstein mad, you can never finish the tower quest (reloading saves for the 10th time lol) you have to finish certain quests before you go on to others. Not in the Witcher 2. In the Witcher 1, If you never talk to Vaska in the swamp, then you cannot finish the tower quest, because she gives you a stone and also sends you to fight the golem, who has the other stone. You see, these kinds for things are easy for noobs like me to miss. I really hope the devs take note of this for The Witcher 3, because there are similar quests in The Witcher 2, for example the medallion quest Meliteles Heart. If you don't talk to the Crinfrid Reavers at the beginning, you will never get that quest. So overall this game was an honor to play. It is my all time favorite video game, and I showed my devotion to it by buying the XBOX360 version too. I bought a whole XBOX360 system just to buy this game again. Now that should be devotion lol Expand
  25. May 27, 2011
    This got such excellent reviews and I'm struggling to understand why. The lack of freedom while playing is the one thing that put me off - not freedom as in decided to go wherever I want to go but more in terms of it just being so forceful as to how I get there. You can't climb up most things or jump over them - when you can you have to "left click". You can't just enter a door unlessThis got such excellent reviews and I'm struggling to understand why. The lack of freedom while playing is the one thing that put me off - not freedom as in decided to go wherever I want to go but more in terms of it just being so forceful as to how I get there. You can't climb up most things or jump over them - when you can you have to "left click". You can't just enter a door unless you're right in front of it and when you can you "left click". To attack enemies you "left click" ok and you can "right click", "Q" and "E" but most of the time it's "space" "space" "left click" "Q" "left click" "space" "left click" etc. It's just not satisfying.

You're "pulled" or "pushed" through doorways rather than having free movement and the invisible walls (more like blocks) make it feel like I'm playing in a maze with very tight corners. The graphics are rather pretty but not pretty enough to have it killing my PC as it currently does. Oh and the camera view feels off as does the movement. Find herbs and making potions is another boring part of the game.

Conclusion: I just don't find this fun to play...isn't that way games are meant to do - be fun?
  26. Sep 13, 2013
    A truly epic achievement in the RPG genre. Enjoyed every bit of it. mature, action pack and full of great dialogue. I would have given it a 10 if it weren't for the fact that it was a very very short game...:C
  27. Nov 8, 2011
    I'm new to this franchise and decided to buy it after reading its reviews. I loved the game! The story was quite fascinating and the graphics are top notch. The gameplay takes some time to get used to, but once you pick it up it's not bad. The characters and voice acting are very good and are also very interesting. There are a few things that could make this game a bit better - one wouldI'm new to this franchise and decided to buy it after reading its reviews. I loved the game! The story was quite fascinating and the graphics are top notch. The gameplay takes some time to get used to, but once you pick it up it's not bad. The characters and voice acting are very good and are also very interesting. There are a few things that could make this game a bit better - one would be some sort of class system and more customization (but I'm not sure how this would fit in). The game also has some glitches that could be fixed (which I think they did with the new patch.) The game kind of slacks off near the end though (notably the third act) which the story seems kind of rushed and the environment in the 3rd act seems completely wasted. While the 1st and 2nd acts of the game took a very long time, the third act was so short to be even called an act in itself. It was clear the developers were rushed to finish it, which is kind of disappointing - since the game had so much going for it. Decisions made also impact the game's progression (which I love) and makes you want to play it at least twice to get the 'full' experience. Mini games like arm wrestling, gambling and fist fighting were also a plus (gambling game kind of confused me though). (Overall score: 9.0 ) Expand
  28. Apr 1, 2012
    im great game i've played..
    nice story and graphic although my comp doesnt have a powerful gpu to make this game looks great..
    but in overal this game really recomended to plying..

nice story and intrique on this game...
    unpatienly wait sequel from this game
  29. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is decent but just not innovative the only way I could describe this game is a extremely bored porno artist was walking around in the streets and Projekt Red hired him to make a unbearable sex scenes and also for the combat its just one of your extremely boring diseny games the combat is good but just gets old real fast also if it were not for the would get zero!! Expand
  30. Jun 21, 2013
    Pretty epic game and improves upon The Witcher in several ways. The developers put a lot of time and effort into this game. Another AAA RPG that is best played on the PC
  31. Feb 24, 2014
    The Witcher 2 is one of very few games I'd give a 10/10. It improves on its predecessor dramatically, while retaining what was good about it. Combat system is incredibly versatile. It's literally the only RPG I've played where I didn't just prefer and concentrate on one aspect of the combat (such as physical sword/shield or Magic). No, in this game I used regular sword combat, potions,The Witcher 2 is one of very few games I'd give a 10/10. It improves on its predecessor dramatically, while retaining what was good about it. Combat system is incredibly versatile. It's literally the only RPG I've played where I didn't just prefer and concentrate on one aspect of the combat (such as physical sword/shield or Magic). No, in this game I used regular sword combat, potions, bombs, traps, AND signs. Some battles were tough enough that you had to get creative and think beforehand, which is awesome and exactly how a strategic RPG should play out. I heard that some people complained about the steep learning curve. While I didn't personally have a problem with it playing on dark difficulty, that's perhaps because I was introduced to the series with The Witcher. I've played TW2 both with a m/k setup, and with a controller. As a rule for all but RTS games, I usually prefer a controller, but this game plays well either way. Graphics are gorgeous, though a few lighting elements are slightly annoying.

Where this game really shines is the mature story and character relationships/personas. Choices actually matter and have great impact (I mean, the game completely diverges for a third of the game based on one choice).

Overall, a fantastic game for anyone who loves story-driven RPGs.
  32. May 17, 2011
    If one were to look at my past reviews they'd see that I'm reluctant to give a game a 10, even ones that I loved (Portal 2, for example). However, I had to make an exception for this absolute masterpiece of PC gaming. I can say without any doubt that the Witcher 2 is one of the greatest RPGs ever created, and CD Projekt Red have absolutely awed me with the quality of work they have putIf one were to look at my past reviews they'd see that I'm reluctant to give a game a 10, even ones that I loved (Portal 2, for example). However, I had to make an exception for this absolute masterpiece of PC gaming. I can say without any doubt that the Witcher 2 is one of the greatest RPGs ever created, and CD Projekt Red have absolutely awed me with the quality of work they have put into this game. Everything is perfect, from the intense combat, to the enormous living world, to the engaging story.. All of it has proven me wrong in thinking that amazing RPGs were simply not possible in this era of modern gaming. Any developer that seeks to make a quality RPG should take notes from the Witcher 2, and display the same amount of effort that this amazing company has in working to create such a masterpiece. CDPR has earned a life-long customer with me as a result of this title, and I'd strongly urge anyone on the fence in regards to purchasing this to do so. I can guarantee you will not regret it. Expand
  33. Sep 14, 2011
    Decent game. Played through it on hard and the difficulty was to my liking for the most part. However, there really isn't a whole lot of combat in this game, which is good because as everyone knows it's as finicky as a transsexual choosing which pisser to use.

Story is confusing but whatever. It works for the most part. Pretty as a princess. More like mass effect than oblivion.
  34. May 25, 2011
    This game has good voice acting and an interesting story but in the gameplay department where it really feels like a bad console game ported to the PC. IF you like to run and jump off things, if you like to run, sneak, walk or any combination of those things, if you like to choose the direction your facing and choose the target your hitting, if like to hit enemies stood on the step aboveThis game has good voice acting and an interesting story but in the gameplay department where it really feels like a bad console game ported to the PC. IF you like to run and jump off things, if you like to run, sneak, walk or any combination of those things, if you like to choose the direction your facing and choose the target your hitting, if like to hit enemies stood on the step above you or below you or do any of the things you expect to be standard affairs in any RPG, then your in for a massive disappointment here because the Witcher 2 is a carefully controlled game that chooses those things for you. One like cut scenes with gameplay breaks using its dodgy AI. This game will not even run unless you turn your desktop resolution down to below 1920x1080 and set the game to the same resolution as your desktop. The register game window that offers a free troll quest, does not even accept keyboard input, so you cannot actually register the game and from what the official website says, they seem to be having serious issues with the servers that handle that. Overall, not a good game, its almost entirely eye candy and cut scenes getting all the positive scores, the game play it self is badly letting the side down. Expand
  35. May 23, 2011
    This is my favorite RPG since Fallout: NV. Different, suprising and addictive. I'm playing at just under/around medium graphics quality and it is still gorgeous. Can hardly wait to replay it in a few years with everything turned on.
  36. Jan 15, 2012
    The timed dialogue is horrible, i like to relax while gaming and this makes me feel rushed. Make it a player option don't force crap like this on the gamer. I have to keep reloading my game due to it.
    The sneaking sections of the game are laughable, i just played the new deus ex which had amazing sneaking, then i play this and it has the horrible sneaking laugh worthy.
  37. Aug 8, 2011
    Like other folks have said, it's the best RPG I've played in a very long time. Beautiful, interesting, branching paths are meaningful. There were bugs, but I didn't get any game-stopping ones.
  38. May 17, 2011
    awesome game, just got into the middle of chap 1. so far it is awesome. combat is not as was in the 1st game but still fun. i do miss the old combat system some but oh well. witcher is truly an awesome game to look into playing. a side note. play 1st witcher before you play the 2nd
  39. Jul 3, 2011
    This game sets the benchmark for RPGs for many years to come and has the potential to be the start of the best series ever. This game easily deserves a 10, it simply tops every rating category with only very minor problems that can be addressed in a patch.
  40. Sep 2, 2011
    This is how to make a sequel, it takes all of the problems with The Witcher, and improves upon all aspects of the game. The game simplifies combat and eradicates the stances, and quick and strong attacks are simply left and right clicks away a vast improvement over the original. The game is overall very linear in direct on where you go but the choices you make impact the story greatly,This is how to make a sequel, it takes all of the problems with The Witcher, and improves upon all aspects of the game. The game simplifies combat and eradicates the stances, and quick and strong attacks are simply left and right clicks away a vast improvement over the original. The game is overall very linear in direct on where you go but the choices you make impact the story greatly, if you've played number one you know what to expect and will enjoy the game tremendously. The few qualms with the game is the difficulty at best is erratic, at first it's somewhat brutal but towards the end Geralt can literally brush off most encounters with ease. Loading screens, which you'll see a lot, are too long and really disconnect from the game and the way zones are loaded together can become a nuisance when you're following/escorting someone. Targeting in the game is iffy at best as in noncombat situations selected items in the world is a definite pain and in fights with multiple enemies sometimes the wrong enemy will be attacked which is a nuisance. Overall for any RPG fan this is a can't miss game, the game has it's shortcomings but overall is a solid product. The game looks beautiful, sounds beautiful, and plays beautifully. Any RPG fan who hasn't played this gem deserves to treat themselves to such a fine game. Expand
  41. Jun 10, 2012
    This game has a breath taking scenic beauty to start with. The graphics are pretty good and the gameplay is very cool too. You get totally engrossed in the story of the game after Chapter 1. For me, this is the game of the year!
  42. May 14, 2012
    Great RPG game, what the genre is supposed to be like. The Witcher wins out slightly in my opinion over TW2 simply because they slightly dumbed down the combat system. I personally like the combo attacks from the first one, but it's still an awesome game. Gives a satisfying ending as well as preparing your for the next installment, highly recommend.
  43. Jul 8, 2014
    Pros: Beautiful graphics, a great and extremely deep story with loads of profound and impacting choices and a solid combat system.

Cons: An odd compromise between linear and open world game play similar to the Fable series, the story is unfocused and confusing at times but comes together very nicely at the end, poorly implemented interface, map and quest markers leave you lost and confused at times.

Overall: Gorgeous RPG with a story far superior to anything Bethesda could ever conjure up, but there are times when you are painfully reminded that you are playing a game from an Indie publisher that had grander ambitions than what they were actually able to achieve.
  44. May 28, 2011
    All I can say is some people are easily impressed and clearly taken in by the hype. While the world, the graphics and the writing are all first class, it's all let down by a disastrous combat system, obviously consolised UI a general lack of depth compared to the first Witcher game. The combat system is particularly bad, being laggy, unresponsive and repetitive (combat ultimately boilsAll I can say is some people are easily impressed and clearly taken in by the hype. While the world, the graphics and the writing are all first class, it's all let down by a disastrous combat system, obviously consolised UI a general lack of depth compared to the first Witcher game. The combat system is particularly bad, being laggy, unresponsive and repetitive (combat ultimately boils down to dodge-attack-dodge-attack ad nauseum). Plus there are some very strange design decisions (like not being able to drink potions in combat)

It's not a bad game by any means, but it could have been so much better.
  45. Oct 18, 2011
    Were there were pretty graphics? Yes. Nice magical effects? Sure. But some things were lost in the sequel which I enjoyed and took for granted in The Witcher 1. First off, The Witcher 1 was a 100% adult game that involved drinking. In the Witcher 2, alcohol is removed almost entirely and is now a rare option in specific dialogue paths. Instead of buying beer from the bar wench youWere there were pretty graphics? Yes. Nice magical effects? Sure. But some things were lost in the sequel which I enjoyed and took for granted in The Witcher 1. First off, The Witcher 1 was a 100% adult game that involved drinking. In the Witcher 2, alcohol is removed almost entirely and is now a rare option in specific dialogue paths. Instead of buying beer from the bar wench you get the option to buy junk items like rotten apples. That's a bit unrealistic in my opinion. And now that I mention food- the food and drink option I had so much fun playing with in the Witcher 1 was completely scrapped in #2. You cannot consume food- only sell it as junk. This leaves natural regen healing as your primary option for healing (which happens much quicker in this game, yet you have a much smaller health pool in comparison to The Witcher 1). Your health pool is so very low in this game that you are practically encouraged to drink health potions constantly in order to survive. Now I have to comment on the alchemy system- it has some similarities but there are major differences. Health regen potions have different regen rates for in and out of combat and if you don't drink a healing potion prior to a battle, by default you do not heal at all while in battle. That I find quite strange, because part of the challenge in The Witcher 1 was finding a balance between combat and your remaining health. Often I would eat food, or use a Swallow potion while fighting monsters in #1, since you had a huge pool of hitpoints that regenerated so slowly. Your practically required supplements in order to progress in a timely manner. Now, In the Witcher 2, I just stand still for a couple minutes and I am fully healed. Geralt's health pool is quite low and you are forced to wait unless you just like dying on subsequent battles. Potion drinking requires a safe area to initiate meditation yet every battle including the difficult boss battles, you aren't even given a chance to meditate. This results in difficult battles with no health regen or potions- which becomes painfully apparent as you progress throughout the game and is unfortunately still present in major boss battles at the end. Playing dice, a fun-filled challenge which I enjoyed in The Witcher 1 is a painful affair now. The Witcher one had a simple design with easy to read numbers on the dice- No excessive shaking of the camera when you rolled, and your best hand was figured out for you by the A.I. In comparison, The Witcher 2 has this weird slanted view in which you roll the dice, and then switches to a top down view to inspect the dice. The slanted view is absolutely no help- you can't see a single detail of the dice including the numbers on them. In the top-down view you see the dice numbers but they are hard-to-read Roman Numerals and the lighting of the board is so horrible you can't help but squint in order to read the dice. Unfortunately the game does not outright tell you if you have a good hand like it does in The Witcher 1, so you really have to sit there for about 15-30 seconds just to read the dice and ascertain what hand you have. So in conclusion, while combat and whatnot have new fancy graphical interfaces, I was disappointed in some of the implementation. I miss having 20 bottles of beer on my character and getting slam drunk (in fact, I do believe this was a combat mechanic in the Witcher 1, specifically pain resistance via the Strength Line). And the drinking challenges were always fun... not to mention you received good rewards. One other thing that sort of turned me off about the game was the last level. I found it a little claustrophobic, and it tried to cram a lot of content into several separate, yet very confined game areas. Ultimately, I felt the design was a bit rushed towards the end. A lot of changes, a lot of design alterations, yet many of these changes do not increase game playability and in some ways make the game less fun. As is is- I think The Witcher 2 deserves a 6. If it would have implemented relatively easy to program mechanics (such as drinking games, fun uncomplicated dice games, easy to use potions, large health pool, a food and drink system, slowly regenerating constant health over time with no in and out of combat differences) then I would have given it a 9 or 10. I mean, how does one fight in this game with a low health pool that has no regen by default and no chance to drink potions in the midst of battle? If they feel so strongly about drinking potions in battle without meditating prior, then implement a 25% penalty for potions drank while in combat. It is not impossible to implement, all of tehse things I mention are implemented in The Witcher 1! Why did they remove so many fun-filled mechanics? It's a step back. Expand
  46. May 26, 2011
    Unlike nearly all fantasy RPG's, this one actually has depth to it's story, depth that i have yet to see in ANY other RPG, why? First of all, it manages to recreate a truely authentic feeling medieval game world, where the land is governed not by your own status as a "hero", but by the kings that rule over them, and your merely just a warrior trying to help along with many others. Not toUnlike nearly all fantasy RPG's, this one actually has depth to it's story, depth that i have yet to see in ANY other RPG, why? First of all, it manages to recreate a truely authentic feeling medieval game world, where the land is governed not by your own status as a "hero", but by the kings that rule over them, and your merely just a warrior trying to help along with many others. Not to mention it doesn't carry the fanciful "kiddy" aspects of rpg's such as cut elvish women dual wielding blades while wearing armor that covers less then a quarter of their body, this game takes itself very seriously while also squeezing in some small moments of comedy which helps to diversify the atmosphere and create even more depth. The combat has been majorly upgraded as well, the magic system has been improved so it flows far more fluidly with more intuitive controls allowing for easier and quicker use. Sword-play has been polished and is now smoother then in the original game, allowing for easier encounters with enemies. If you think this game is hard, your not a gamer, simple as that, you may think it's punishing, but there are far more punishing games then this, this game requires a tactically sound mind and quick thinking. Dialogue and NPC character animation are superb, you can see the heart put into each simple little movement such as walking or drinking, each animation finely done to feel realistic and human, with characters speaking in ways which suit them and don't spout over-pretentious monologues which get boring and slow down the gameplay AND the story. (im looking at you Assassins Creed and Metal Gear Solid) I look forward to much more coming from this great polish developer, as they definitely have seemed to of learned from their mistakes in the past. Their future continues to look bright. Expand
  47. May 27, 2011
    I'm praying for one thing - that big-shot RPG game developers will check out this game and will finaly understand what are the most important things for good RPG. And TW2 didn't discover America here - they just used ideas and way of thinking from 10 yers ago when things like Baldur or Planescape were created. Maybe they will also notice that creating half of game and selling second halfI'm praying for one thing - that big-shot RPG game developers will check out this game and will finaly understand what are the most important things for good RPG. And TW2 didn't discover America here - they just used ideas and way of thinking from 10 yers ago when things like Baldur or Planescape were created. Maybe they will also notice that creating half of game and selling second half as DLC is not the only way to make proffit from game - sometimes it's enough just to do a good game. Expand
  48. oso
    Feb 17, 2013
    This is how modern RPGs should look like. It has reference graphics, a enjoyable story and great characters. Don't expect an open world though. You go straight from location to location but there are several decisions that have major effekt on the story. Gameplay mechanics are great once you mastered it.
  49. May 22, 2012
    Its got kinda bugged controles. Didnt like the way they decided to make the 3rd person view work. Its a ok+ story but I wouldnt rly recomend buying this. Get something different like Skyrim if you want a RPG
  50. May 24, 2012
    I gave this game a 3. That's because I left it around one third of the whole game. I wanted an RPG game like Witcher1, for the PC you know. And I ended up with a stupid consol platform/arcade. Why no official review mentions this? I tried to kill the 1st boss at least 40 times. It didn't work, the controls wasn't made for the PC. I played many action games - Crysis1-2, MOHs, CODs, MWs,I gave this game a 3. That's because I left it around one third of the whole game. I wanted an RPG game like Witcher1, for the PC you know. And I ended up with a stupid consol platform/arcade. Why no official review mentions this? I tried to kill the 1st boss at least 40 times. It didn't work, the controls wasn't made for the PC. I played many action games - Crysis1-2, MOHs, CODs, MWs, etc. Also online shooters. I load back 50 times if needed if something keeps me going on, but in W2 I just grew angrier... After many tries I gave in, used a cheat, played some more than deleted the game and sold it. This was the last time I actually bought a game without playing it through before... If game companies lie to me, I feel myself authorized to cheat too, but I won't. I play fair. But I pay only after playing it through... Expand
  51. Sep 24, 2013
    Áreas grandes, muchos enemigos, unas cuantas escenas picantonas (por decirlo suavemente)... pero, por lo demás, aburrido, aburrido, aburrido. Empecé a jugarlo porque tenía entendido que se trataba de un rpg, pero... para nada. Es un juego de acción con unos cuantos toques de rol. Intenté llegar hasta el final, por ver si la cosa se animaba en algún momento, pero no fue así. Que yoÁreas grandes, muchos enemigos, unas cuantas escenas picantonas (por decirlo suavemente)... pero, por lo demás, aburrido, aburrido, aburrido. Empecé a jugarlo porque tenía entendido que se trataba de un rpg, pero... para nada. Es un juego de acción con unos cuantos toques de rol. Intenté llegar hasta el final, por ver si la cosa se animaba en algún momento, pero no fue así. Que yo recuerde, es el único juego que he abandonado cuando me faltaba menos de 1/2 hora para acabarlo. Y sin remordimientos. Expand
  52. May 27, 2011
    Kudos to cdprojekt for creating this shining gem in a genre that is starting to become very stale and lowest common denominator. They've created one of the most enjoyable, beautiful, well written RPGs I've played in many years. If you're a true cRPG fan you need to play this game and the first Witcher as well. To those complaining about difficulty (including critic reviews), give it aKudos to cdprojekt for creating this shining gem in a genre that is starting to become very stale and lowest common denominator. They've created one of the most enjoyable, beautiful, well written RPGs I've played in many years. If you're a true cRPG fan you need to play this game and the first Witcher as well. To those complaining about difficulty (including critic reviews), give it a rest. Games used to be about using your head, learning mechanics, trying different things to overcome an obstacle, not crying because you can't "one-shot" everything on the first try. Expand
  53. Jun 20, 2011
    One word to describe it all epic .A little known developer has created a FANTASTIC RPG .Bioware should learn . Many are complaining about the difficulty but its not affecting me.The witcher 2 s graphics make dragon age 2 many generations old.Hats off to CD Projekt Red Studio.This really is a game of the year material.One complain though is that of the inventory and casting ofOne word to describe it all epic .A little known developer has created a FANTASTIC RPG .Bioware should learn . Many are complaining about the difficulty but its not affecting me.The witcher 2 s graphics make dragon age 2 many generations old.Hats off to CD Projekt Red Studio.This really is a game of the year material.One complain though is that of the inventory and casting of spells..While dragon age 2 was a letdown wheres witcher 2 steps into another gear.The atmosphere & environment is great.It makes you sit out and enjoy the environment.The trend is changing .Its not always about the big developers.Along with the price tag I Recommend it to all .Witcher 2 is really anti-bioware material.Bioware u listening Expand
  54. May 17, 2011
    Do not pay any attention to those stupid negative scores, it's simply Bio Ware Meta bombing this fantastic game. Game of the year for me by a country mile. Superb visuals, storyline, dialogue. Great combat and questing is fun. If you are an RPG fan there is simply no way you shouldn't play this. Get it, get it now.
  55. May 22, 2011
    Finally we have a real game being released in 2011. I was beginning to give up hope. This game clearly shows that if developers just put some effort into their games, instead of releasing the same game every year, they can easily be GOTY. The graphics are spectacular, even on medium mode. The storyline, the characters and the environment are so amazing, the entire atmosphere made me getFinally we have a real game being released in 2011. I was beginning to give up hope. This game clearly shows that if developers just put some effort into their games, instead of releasing the same game every year, they can easily be GOTY. The graphics are spectacular, even on medium mode. The storyline, the characters and the environment are so amazing, the entire atmosphere made me get really into it. Combat is better than the first one. I sort of wish you could drink potions in combat, since that kind of makes sense, but whatever. Expand
  56. Mar 6, 2012
    I had a great deal of difficulty installing this game with the code to activate it so I shelved it for awhile. Well, I am glad I played it finally. This is definitely a well deserved M rating. Don't let a kid play this one! The gameplay is great though and is very exciting. Better than the first one in every way. I have the XBOX version pre-ordered I loved it so much. One of the best RPG'sI had a great deal of difficulty installing this game with the code to activate it so I shelved it for awhile. Well, I am glad I played it finally. This is definitely a well deserved M rating. Don't let a kid play this one! The gameplay is great though and is very exciting. Better than the first one in every way. I have the XBOX version pre-ordered I loved it so much. One of the best RPG's in recent years especially as a PC exclusive. Definitely recommend playing this before the XBOX one comes out if you play PC games. Expand
  57. May 19, 2011
    This game is a work of art. One can easily tell how much heart and soul the developers put into this game. The voice dialogue is vastly improved over the previous game, and the story telling seems to possess more character. The combat now makes more sense where you can better make use of your parrying and dodge functions. The character movements and animations now seem a lot more fluidThis game is a work of art. One can easily tell how much heart and soul the developers put into this game. The voice dialogue is vastly improved over the previous game, and the story telling seems to possess more character. The combat now makes more sense where you can better make use of your parrying and dodge functions. The character movements and animations now seem a lot more fluid and realistic. The music, like the original Witcher, is still memorable enough to keep your attention for hours at a time. Definitely worth playing if you have a good enough system to run this beast. Expand
  58. May 17, 2011
    Best RPG since Mass Effect 2 but graphically the best looking game I've ever seen really worth the money even tho TW2 only costs 23£!!! Epic deal get it !!!!
  59. May 27, 2011
    As one of those dissapointed with DA2 i aproached the Witcher 2 with caution, however i neednt have feared because the game is quite simply stunning! For reference, i enjoyed the Witcher 1 after they released the re-done sound. I thought the combat was lacking but the story and atmosphere from Chapter 2 onwards were good enough that i didnt mid the short comings so much. The Witcher 2 isAs one of those dissapointed with DA2 i aproached the Witcher 2 with caution, however i neednt have feared because the game is quite simply stunning! For reference, i enjoyed the Witcher 1 after they released the re-done sound. I thought the combat was lacking but the story and atmosphere from Chapter 2 onwards were good enough that i didnt mid the short comings so much. The Witcher 2 is an improvement in almost everyway. First of all, one of the things everyone is talking about are the graphics. They are probably some of the best graphics currently available. Every moving tree and nasty beasty look exactly as they are supposed to with beautiful design. The attention to detail doesnt stop there though. The game is brought to life by a substantial amount of things going on in the background from soldiers groaning about their lot in life to whores selling their services. From the first moment you really get drawn in. The combat is improved by a long way but perhaps not mastered yet. The delay in reaction time can get frustration and the game does really punish you for getting it wrong, that is until you upgrade. Talking of upgrading, the game manages character development fairly well. There arent the amount of options i usually prefer in RPG;s but they do make a difference and you really feel as if your character is improving through out the game. The storyline is well crafted and well told with only a few average voiceovers to marr its tale. All of the quests, sidequests included are fun and engaging and no two are the same. There will be no fetch quests in this game. The adult nature of the game is done in a much more tasteful way this itme and you wont feel offended by the gameb ut instead just take it for granted that the way they present the world is the way it is. In other words, the adult aspects dont stand out like a sore thumb like they did in the Witcher 1.

There are a few problems however. For one there is the doors. They are akward to navigate and in a minor way, kill the immersion when you have to locate the correct point to stand to open them, and even then only one person can go through at the itme, often shutting the door in your companions face. The jumping points suffer from the same problem. The ending is less the satisfying but does its job but you can forgive that by the way all your choices throughout the game mold it until you are quite literally playing in the world you chose. To the point where the entire second chapter is different depending on your choices in the first chapter.

This is a fine example of how an action RPG should be made, its perhaps not as deep as the rpgs of old, but it certainly handsdown beats its competition. I highly reccomend this game.
  60. op8
    May 24, 2011
    ok,lets get the negative point out of the way first. the UI is pretty unefficient, so regular inventory use,can be a bit of a chore,and as there is no where to store extra equipment (NOT a bad thing in my opinion), its important to keep visiting traders to sell off un wanted or excess goods. the fact that a decent way to stat match is missing can be quite time consuming. this can effectok,lets get the negative point out of the way first. the UI is pretty unefficient, so regular inventory use,can be a bit of a chore,and as there is no where to store extra equipment (NOT a bad thing in my opinion), its important to keep visiting traders to sell off un wanted or excess goods. the fact that a decent way to stat match is missing can be quite time consuming. this can effect immersiveness,but i'm hoping one day i'll be able to play using a revamped ui. after playing around with graphical settings extensively i've noticed that whether i'm playing on mainly high settings (which is the normal setting i use) or when ive experimented with lower ones, the framerate has not changed. its not a problem for me but i felt it should at least be identified and adressed. (on high,i'm getting between 32-40fps, even in crowded combat scenes or towns the framerate never drops below 30fps so i'm quite happy with that seeing as how gorgeous this game is). luckily the good points about the game are abundant!! i've noted in other comments left by users that they find the camera and object interaction a probem. this hasnt been an issue for me.I hold the shift button whilst moving to slow you down and it works. looking for correct ledges to climb is just common sense, and is another example of how hand holding has been limited in this game. as you may have guessed the graphics are incredible, and they WILL test your rig! so if you buy the game with just minimum requirements you might be dissapointed and i feel your witcher experience will be marred somewhat. story and lore is facinating and i found myself more and more engrossed as i adventured thru the game. the choices you make actually have an effect on the game you end up playing.(afterall you are writing history as you go along,well, Dandellion is). i find the combat satisfying and enjoyable.you will need to use everything at your disposal most of the time and the difficulty on normal feels just right. it definately gets easier as you level up giving you a proper sense of getting stronger and more capable.....quite a refreshing change compared to a lot of other games these days which are far to easy and hold your hand WAY too much. customising the character with your chosen skill tree path is done perfectly, with not too much emphasis on having to time spend ridiculous amounts of time deciding how you'll end up. at the end of chapter 1 you are forced to make a choice that basically decides what area you open up and effectively the dicsoveries you make and quests/sub quests you end up doing. this makes at least one other replay and absolute must! the games ending, which is kind of a hot topic of late, has people divided, but its hard to argue whithout knowing the choices they made.i was happy anyway. the good thing is that there is FREE DLC.hopefully some future expansions will be made that might extend things and sort out the UI, and i'm definately looking forward to another sequel! big thanks to CDPR for a great game! Expand
  61. May 20, 2011
    What can you expect from the game: a fantasy world that feels real, living and breathing. Stunning visuals, awesome voice acting, quite challenging (if you set it on normal or above) combat. Good involving story that changes so big time you will replay it at least once. Also this is a mature game that really treats you as a mature adult and not an American teenager who has to be protectedWhat can you expect from the game: a fantasy world that feels real, living and breathing. Stunning visuals, awesome voice acting, quite challenging (if you set it on normal or above) combat. Good involving story that changes so big time you will replay it at least once. Also this is a mature game that really treats you as a mature adult and not an American teenager who has to be protected from life. The only disadvantage I can mention are small glitches (omg the dooooors), nothing game breaking, but some part feels a bit less polished (including the last chapter). They promised FREE DLCs to even it out. It is a bit hard to adapt how the combat works, but if you actually read it up from the manual it is not hard to catch up. The game itself never freeze for me even once and runs smoothly with high graphics (I consider my i5, NV GF460 average).
    After how messed up DA2 was I was actually afraid that the RPG genre is dead, but I am VERY happy I pre-ordered it after all. This game is easily the best RPG game since the planescape torment! I really hope BW will learn from them, because this is the way to go.
  62. Nov 10, 2011
    Witcher really suprised me when i played it last summer. Little did i know, the second one had just come out. So i dove into those games. And i mean dove hard. The voice acting is pretty much the only flaw. This is a real gritty fantasy game, that dug deep into my brain, and heart, to make it one of the most memorable games ever. The graphics are top notch, probably best in the marketWitcher really suprised me when i played it last summer. Little did i know, the second one had just come out. So i dove into those games. And i mean dove hard. The voice acting is pretty much the only flaw. This is a real gritty fantasy game, that dug deep into my brain, and heart, to make it one of the most memorable games ever. The graphics are top notch, probably best in the market before Battlefield 3 came out. I was blown away. Expand
  63. Jan 30, 2012
    Well, this game is awesome! If I were to choose between Skyrim and it for RPG of the year, I would have no doubt in saying that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings was my choice! The game really shows that "small" game industries such as CD Project can have their moments. The Witcher 2 has awesome graphics, and an incredible story with 16 different endings! While choosing between killing aWell, this game is awesome! If I were to choose between Skyrim and it for RPG of the year, I would have no doubt in saying that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings was my choice! The game really shows that "small" game industries such as CD Project can have their moments. The Witcher 2 has awesome graphics, and an incredible story with 16 different endings! While choosing between killing a king or a monster or letting them live, you really feel as you were Geralt of Rivia. Of course, as all the other games, The Witcher 2 is not perfect. Its fighting system is pretty complicated and annoying, so most of the gamers would only start liking it by the middle of the game. The bad regulated difficulties (easy, medium, hard, and insane) may give you a hard time, making you hate some bosses or even simple road-bandits, but once you have chosen one of them you can enjoy this incredible game without huge problems. I really hope that The Witcher 3 is realised soon, because, man, what an amazing game! Expand
  64. Apr 26, 2012
    amazing story, awesome graphics and developers are not scared to show some nudity! It is a very mature game with a lot of potential. everything was made with love...Bravo devs...
  65. Jan 4, 2013
    Story: 9 --- What makes the Witcher 2's story so interesting is it's multiple paths. I have played through the game six times and there are 16 endings. Each one is detectably different but there are really only four major endings. The story is well-written and interesting but not particularly unpredictable. --- Visuals: 10 --- This is a pretty game, a very pretty game and the visualStory: 9 --- What makes the Witcher 2's story so interesting is it's multiple paths. I have played through the game six times and there are 16 endings. Each one is detectably different but there are really only four major endings. The story is well-written and interesting but not particularly unpredictable. --- Visuals: 10 --- This is a pretty game, a very pretty game and the visual splendor is most clearly emphasized when it matters - during the many cutscenes. --- Sound: 8: The music is great but very repetitive. The VO is fantastic in most cases though. What strikes me most is that when music is important it is there and when silence is more important than music, you will have it too. --- Combat: 8 --- The combat in the Witcher 2 beats its predecessor hands down. But it isn't perfect and shows it's clumsiness in certain parts of the game, especially when in confined spaces. --- Fun Factor: 8 --- This game is very fun to play game (fun enough to play through six times). The reason I give it an 8 instead of a 9 is because it is too short in the mouth and too long in the knee. That is at certain spots the side quests feel drawn-out and not that interesting. --- Overall: 9 --- Actually an 8.6 but I rounded up. With a great story, beautiful cinematic vibe and solid all-around playing experience, this game is well worth the $30. Expand
  66. Sep 12, 2013
    The Witcher 2 is the best RPG I played all generation. It has fantastic combat and exploration. The narrative is one of the best I have ever experienced and the characters are all interesting and enjoyable to interact with.

The graphics on PC are simply phenomenal and are easily some of the best graphics on PC. Many times in the game I had to just stop and take it all in. Such a beautiful game. Maxed out on my PC it actually looks as good as some "next gen" games.

Geralt of Rivia is simply a badass. One of the coolest characters in a game in quite some time.

I could go on and on about this game, but I don't have a lot of time right now. Suffice to say that it is in my top 5 best games of the generation and has left me hungering for more. I absolutely can't wait for The Witcher 3.
  67. Jun 22, 2011
    Easily one of the best RPGs of this past decade, and what firmly rams it into such an elite category is the fact that it is a real RPG. Your choices have real impacts on the story - many developers claim this with it amounting to little in real terms but in this case, decisions are pivotal to AoK and how the story pans out. I've completed the game, but i haven't even played one half of it.Easily one of the best RPGs of this past decade, and what firmly rams it into such an elite category is the fact that it is a real RPG. Your choices have real impacts on the story - many developers claim this with it amounting to little in real terms but in this case, decisions are pivotal to AoK and how the story pans out. I've completed the game, but i haven't even played one half of it. That's because certain choices lead you to side one way or another a third into the game, which gives you an entirely different side of the story and shapes how the rest of your game will play out and what you'll be doing in your game. You're practically getting two games rolled into one, but the choices don't end there as there are roughly 8 different endings for each side, and all the choices you make throughout your playthrough will give you a different experience and story leading up to those endings. Such a system in what has become a stale genre catering for drooling buffoons is incredibly refreshing and something RPG fans of olde have been longing for. There's no good and bad system in making those decisions either, another plague of the genre being forced upon us elsewhere, but simply choices which lead to concequences, concequences which might turn out favorable or not, but there's no right or wrong. This all nods to the story telling which has endless (note: may not be endless) amount of plot twists and turns, always leaving you pondering over decisions, trying to decide if you're really making the wisest choice. The story has great depth to it, more so than any game for a long time or that I can remember without casting my mind back to the dungeon crawlers of yester-year. It can get slightly overwhelming at times and feel like characters and place names are being vomited all over you and you're expected to know who said what to who and where, leaving you to try and comprehend what has just been said - but that's accepted with open arms and glee when you know that the story hasn't been watered down for simpletons, and you see for yourself just how much detail they've gone to with the writing. It's like an interactive novel, apart from you're not just interacting, you're shaping and of course getting to play out all the action instead of imagining it. The plot here puts other RPGs of similar stature such as Mass Effect (one of my favorite series) to shame and makes that look like a childs toy in comparison. Especially when you come to the grittiness and darkness presented here. They've held back on nothing and the end result shows, not only in adult humour and content, but the plot benefits too. I've seen people complaining about the complexity of the combat, but this ties into the game not holding your hand or becoming a one button fest like so many others. The one problem I did have was between the difficulty settings, and finding I had to moderate them myself to keep the game challenging and even then it wasn't too hard. At the start a few fairly easy mobs will have you eating dirt, but later on in the game, even the supposedly hardest mobs are no match once you've mastered the combat, have some skills, items and decent gear behind you. You'll easily be finding yourself at the reload screen during certain fights if you wade in, but if you play it cool then no fight should be a problem and you can drop most enemies fairly quickly, so I feel balancing does need some work but it's no game-breaker. There's enough items to keep you interested in the loot and make it a rewarding experience, especially the crafting but managing your inventory can become tiresome and if like me, you care about getting the most out of your loot, will result in several slow treks to and from vendors - however there are mods out to solve this problem, so on my second playthrough I'll be using one of these. The attribute and skill system is very nice, and no path seems to be the prevalent path which gives you a good amount of freedom to shape your character for your playstyle or try new abilities for multiple playthroughs. A gripe of mine was not having a respec option, one only being available to you if you've made specific choices - which I hadn't. Every player should be given the oppurtunity to respec as otherwise it can lead to sometimes frustrating experiences, so choose your abilities wisely. The fact you have to drink potions before a fight, not always knowing when you're about to fight is an appalling oversight and I don't see why they changed it from the first game. Act 2 was a little dissapointing with linear areas and a plot then became flat, but it picks up again at the end of the chapter. The craft system is excellent and there's so many craftable items that you can try for an entirely different variety of tools at your disposal each playthrough. AoK is truly unique in its atmosphere and style. It's earned it's place as one of my favorite games of all time. Expand
  68. Jun 11, 2011
    I liked the game, but after playing it through once, I have not been able to muster up enough interest to play it through again. The balance is off. Combat in the early part, especially for the side quests in Flotsam are ridiculously hard, while the boss fights and combat in the later chapters is too easy.
  69. May 27, 2011
    If you're willing to invest in a game, if you are willing to get sucked in and truly engage with an RPG, this is the game for you. People who have scored this game low, either critics or users, have as main negative points:
    -bugs (very few that are now fixed with the patch)
    -bugs (very few that are now fixed with the patch)
    -difficulty in battles (that's one of the games biggest strengths for people who want a challenging strategic battle instead of a button-mash)
    -Bad UI (I'll give them a little point there - it's not bad, but could be better)

So please ignore them, and support a game developer that is truly passionate about creating quality games.
  70. Jun 12, 2011
    Pros:
    - Great battle system
    - A wide array of weapons, items, and armors to choose from; an improvement from The Witcher 1 - Great narration of the story - Powerful voice-acting and dialogues - Overall very deep immersion - Diverse and serious quests Cons - A bit too short. Add 10 more hours to this and it'll probably become one of the best RPG ever - Initial chapters were a bit
    Pros:
    - Great battle system
    - Great narration of the story
    - Powerful voice-acting and dialogues
    - Overall very deep immersion
    - Diverse and serious quests

Cons
    - Initial chapters were a bit too difficult
  71. May 19, 2011
    Amazing game, while it's quite difficult at the start due to confusing tutorials the entire game is breathtaking. Possibly one of the best RPGs ever made.
  72. May 29, 2011
    The Witcher 2 might just be the best fantasy game I've ever played. The graphics and presentation in general, from the voice acting to the soundtrack are all top notch, and the questing is greatly improved over the first game and far better than many other fantasy games that make up for a lack of imagination with lots of repetition (Dragon Age 2 in particular). The combat is also far moreThe Witcher 2 might just be the best fantasy game I've ever played. The graphics and presentation in general, from the voice acting to the soundtrack are all top notch, and the questing is greatly improved over the first game and far better than many other fantasy games that make up for a lack of imagination with lots of repetition (Dragon Age 2 in particular). The combat is also far more active than many fantasy RPGs, with a perfect level of difficulty on the normal setting that keeps combat tense and exciting for the 30+ hour adventure, and the multiple playthroughs that follow. But the obvious highlight of the game is the story, which is far more mature than many other supposedly "dark" videogame stories. Filled with memorable characters, awesome epic battles, lots of political intrigue as well as an incredible number of morally ambiguous choices to make that will greatly affect how the game unfolds, the story in TW2 is one of the best stories in a videogame ever, only slightly surpassing that of Dragon Age 2 thanks to the fact that all the story elements in TW2 are connected to the overarching plot, unlike DA2, which felt more like 3 separate stories all meshed together. Overall, TW2 is simply an amazing game and a serious contender for GOTY. It's got beauty, action, story and lots of replay value, and it should not be missed by anyone who values a good story-driven action RPG, or just a great game in general. Expand
  73. May 27, 2011
    I won't go into plot details to avoid spoilers. Let's just say the story is mature (political intrigue, racism, etc.). There is no corny white vs. black decisions, and the decisions you do make WILL impact your gaming experience. The story, like the game overall, is immersive.

INCREDIBLY IMMERSIVE. The graphics are stellar, not only the best of any RPG that I've seen, but any game

INCREDIBLY IMMERSIVE.

The graphics are stellar, not only the best of any RPG that I've seen, but any game period. They are that good.

The combat takes some getting used to. I personally found using an XBOX controller superior to using a keyboard and mouse. To some, this may scream streamlining for consoles. Believe me, that's not the case. We had controllers for the PC long before game consoles appeared. You will find it challenging in the early going even on easy. You will get your butt kicked.

Which is good.

Lately it seems even nightmare and hard levels are too easily conquered (see Dragon Age). For me, that takes away the satsifaction of playing a game. There must be challenge, and here, oh boy, there is.

The best feature of the Witcher 2 isn't singular. This is an incredible game. It is evolutionary, challenging, beautiful, dark and immersive doesn't cover how much it will suck you into the world of Geralt.

If you buy one game this year or even in the next ten, buy this one. It is a masterpiece (and that's something I've never said about ANY game).
  74. Jul 2, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011. The single best RPG I have played since Planescape: Torment. The characters are deep and complex, the storyline develops depending on your actions and choices. It takes what was good from every single RPG released in the last 15 years and makes it into something better. The graphics are simply the best ever seen in an RPG
  75. Nov 20, 2011
    Follow suit other game developers/publishers! Releasing games DRM free rather then including intrusive rubbish such as Steamworks or Securom that punish customers is a great way to get people supporting your games and company.
  76. Jun 13, 2014
    an awesome story driven RPG with great character development which makes us wanna love the characters. every action we take has a consequence. the gameplay is effective with and an enhanced difficulty which makes us want to prepare beforehand .the crafting system is also equally good and the visuals is mesmerizing .
  77. Aug 9, 2013
    It is extremely refreshing to see an RPG game that wasn't created by Blizzard or Bethesda. I found Witcher 2's combat system frustrating at times and the inventory UI sucks on the same level as Dead Space 3's but the game's story more than makes up for the below average UI. This is what story driven RPG's should be all about. Classic, tried and tested gameplay mechanics can be criticizedIt is extremely refreshing to see an RPG game that wasn't created by Blizzard or Bethesda. I found Witcher 2's combat system frustrating at times and the inventory UI sucks on the same level as Dead Space 3's but the game's story more than makes up for the below average UI. This is what story driven RPG's should be all about. Classic, tried and tested gameplay mechanics can be criticized for lack of ingenuity, but that isn't what Witcher2 is all about. I cannot stress HOW IMMERSED I WAS WITH THE CHARACTERS while I was playing the game. For example, I doubt that I am the first and only gamer to have fallen in love with Triss Merigold and I doubt that I will be the last. To sweeten the story, Witcher2 makes references to pop culture themes such as game of Thrones, Monty Python/WC3 (tiss only a flesh wound quote), and Lord of the Rings. These subtle additions make the gameplay all the more enjoyable in a dark and well thought out plot. The only downside to playing this game is that I was reading game of thrones at the same time and the combination of the two stories has led me to believe that human nature is a dark, twisted, and bloody corridor filled with people trying to sell you their brother's kidneys.

TL;DR: some bugs but great story and great game.
  78. Oct 26, 2011
    Nice graphics. Deep combat system. A storyline that is heavily influenced by your choices, And an interesting but sometimes confusing plot. A good effort.
  79. Apr 20, 2014
    A great RPG with a massive plot. Somehow the game style changed towards console games, which I don't like, for example the boss fight with quick time events.
  80. May 19, 2011
    A truly amazing game. Unlike some other RPGs that hold your hand throughout and have terrible acting and writing (Dragon Age 2 I'm looking at you) this game actually feels like an RPG should. Your actions effect the game, your previous actions aren't retcon'd, and the game has a wonderful sense of freedom to it. If you're looking for an awesome modern RPG look no further.
  81. Jul 15, 2013
    While original release had a lot of issues (basically everything apart from graphics and story was bad), now after some patches and Enhanced Edition release, a lot of that was fixed. Also recently released Full Combat Rebalance 2 official mod fixed a lot of the "laggy" user input, especially combat fights are way more dynamic. I strongly recommend having the game patched up to EE and FCR2While original release had a lot of issues (basically everything apart from graphics and story was bad), now after some patches and Enhanced Edition release, a lot of that was fixed. Also recently released Full Combat Rebalance 2 official mod fixed a lot of the "laggy" user input, especially combat fights are way more dynamic. I strongly recommend having the game patched up to EE and FCR2 installed for best gaming experience.

At this point the only reason this game does not score 10 are the QTE and cut scenes that are abused in way too many places, dumbing down the gameplay and making it feel like an interactive movie at times.

A solid 9 means that it's a great RPG at this point and there's no reason not to try it if you still haven't ($5 on Steam) before the third installment comes out.
  82. May 21, 2011
    The game would have been pretty good (certainly not 10/10 that people are excitedly scoring) but it's just so incredibly rough around the edges. The game I will no doubt have these ironed out with mods and patches but I would suggest waiting for that time rather than a purchase now. And as for why only pretty good, the game has lost the atmosphere of the first game - crypts caves swampsThe game would have been pretty good (certainly not 10/10 that people are excitedly scoring) but it's just so incredibly rough around the edges. The game I will no doubt have these ironed out with mods and patches but I would suggest waiting for that time rather than a purchase now. And as for why only pretty good, the game has lost the atmosphere of the first game - crypts caves swamps forests - they don't feel intimidating places to be anymore. Expand
  83. May 21, 2011
    Contender for GOTY 2011 and best RPG to come in a long while the Witcher 2 has a deep mature storyline that actually significantly alters depending on the decisions made offering replay value and a sense of making an actual impact on its world. Combat is actually interesting and not dumbed down for the console kiddies but some may find it a bit too hard at the beginning but hey a littleContender for GOTY 2011 and best RPG to come in a long while the Witcher 2 has a deep mature storyline that actually significantly alters depending on the decisions made offering replay value and a sense of making an actual impact on its world. Combat is actually interesting and not dumbed down for the console kiddies but some may find it a bit too hard at the beginning but hey a little challenge is always good so top marks for that. Graphics are top notch and on my average system it plays satisfactorily. Not a title to be missed surely especially coming from a developer that actually tries to cater to its fans. Expand
  84. Jun 20, 2011
    Brilliant game! A huge and very detailed world. A complex and inspired story that your character can actually influence. Depending on your choices you can get completely different quests in the second chapter, making your second playthrough feel like a different game. The story consistent and immersive, mature and morally ambiguous. The quests are highly varied, original, dramatic andBrilliant game! A huge and very detailed world. A complex and inspired story that your character can actually influence. Depending on your choices you can get completely different quests in the second chapter, making your second playthrough feel like a different game. The story consistent and immersive, mature and morally ambiguous. The quests are highly varied, original, dramatic and frequently surprising. True to its genre, you are playing a role here and it's a good one. Expand
  85. Nov 21, 2011
    I wish DragonAge 2 had been more like this one. A compelling story, lots of content and areas to explore. The soundtrack I found to be wonderful. I'm really hoping we get some downloadable content for this game because I'd like to come back to it.
  86. Nov 11, 2011
    Game is nice, for sure not a masterpiece as a whole.
    graphics are great , even thou on my i7 with a gtx560 i can't run them fully.
    Story is interesting and you can play the game twice (or even 3 times), but no more. what i didn't like: -instanced maps, you see that road?, fine now that you've seen it go back to what you were "paid" to go -console "press X" mechanics, wanna hit that big
    Game is nice, for sure not a masterpiece as a whole.
    graphics are great , even thou on my i7 with a gtx560 i can't run them fully.
    what i didn't like:
    -console "press X" mechanics, wanna hit that big baddie? click B..swirl swirl now click B again
    -console inventory, how the hell you'r goin to find something in your backpack is a miracle
    -stupid potions, drink now you never know what you might face tomorrow..you drank the wrong one? haha silly witchy
    -fighting animations, i don't like playin the role of a pale monkey swirling and jumpin around while weavin a stick at big guys
  87. Dec 7, 2012
    A pretty good RPG. The story, music, and graphics are all top-notch--I had goosebumps for literally minutes after the ending. Decisions have real consequences that aren't always apparent, making this much more like a real story than any other RPG out there. The gameplay, however, is a bit clunky. Combat is weightless and hollow, and while the creature design is amazing, few enemies comeA pretty good RPG. The story, music, and graphics are all top-notch--I had goosebumps for literally minutes after the ending. Decisions have real consequences that aren't always apparent, making this much more like a real story than any other RPG out there. The gameplay, however, is a bit clunky. Combat is weightless and hollow, and while the creature design is amazing, few enemies come down to anything other than "slash-dodge-slash-dodge". Moreover, the minigames are shallow and truly quite pointless. So while the game is definitely worth a buy, just go in treating it more like a gorgeous, interactive novel than a normal video game. Expand
  88. Dec 30, 2012
    The best game of 2011 (IMO) and also one of the greatest RPG's of all time, I fail to pinpoint some major flaw. Everything here is top notch: story, characters, graphics, gameplay, sound, you name it.
    The ONLY problem with the game is that it ends, leaving you wanting for more.
  89. May 25, 2011
    At first, I was disappointed a little bit, because some major mechanics of the game are entirely different. I loved the realistic inventory system of Witcher 1, that's gone completely. But that's not a big issue, we get a more traditional RPG inventory system now. It may use some tweaks however, and I'm sure they'll be delivered with the future patches. Combat is totally different. IAt first, I was disappointed a little bit, because some major mechanics of the game are entirely different. I loved the realistic inventory system of Witcher 1, that's gone completely. But that's not a big issue, we get a more traditional RPG inventory system now. It may use some tweaks however, and I'm sure they'll be delivered with the future patches. Combat is totally different. I always wanted more games like God of War, Batman: AA, or Darksiders on PC, because of their combat mechanics, and Witcher 2 delivers that. You need practice however, and higher difficulties punish the players if not careful, especially Insane; you cannot load your saves if you die. Hardcore mode so to speak. Really enjoying the combat mechanics.

Graphics are the best I've ever seen, and I've played other games that support DX11 and so on. I just can't believe this is a DX9 game. However, many players experience FPS problems with high-end PCs, but that's not entirely their fault, as AMD and NVidia are working on hotfixes to address the issues in the game. Patience, and you won't have any trouble.

Voice acting, music and sounds are really good. Especially the music, it is a vast improvement over Witcher 1 in my opinion.

I just love this game. And I throw my hat off to developers. It seems they knew what they wanted, aimed for it, and bullseye... A perfect PC game!
  90. Apr 29, 2013
    Well I think there is not much to say after nearly two years after release. Only that The Witcher is still one of the best RPGs ever made. I preordered the game as soon as I saw it on gog.com And I finished the game fourth time yesterday (3x Roche's patch 1x Iorveth's path in total) on the new Dark difficulty.
    Although it should be hard it actually looked like a peace of cake. And all I
    Although it should be hard it actually looked like a peace of cake. And all I have crafted were the Basphemer's and Oathbreaker's armors. I have not used special swords (did not like the effect associated with them). So if there is still someone who has not played the game yet and is considering to buy it, go for it. Just a little warning. You must use your brain and abilities in combat. Forget pressing a mouse button like crazy to kill an enemy (as seen in most games this time unfortunately).
  91. Aug 26, 2013
    Good game, but I did not enjoy it as much as the first Witcher. They lost some of the things that made the first game unique when they made the sequel... and I'm not sure what it is. That being said, sequels rarely are better than the originals, and while this game, to me, is no exception to that rule, it comes pretty close and does a great job of continuing the story (loosely (I've readGood game, but I did not enjoy it as much as the first Witcher. They lost some of the things that made the first game unique when they made the sequel... and I'm not sure what it is. That being said, sequels rarely are better than the originals, and while this game, to me, is no exception to that rule, it comes pretty close and does a great job of continuing the story (loosely (I've read the books)). It's not bad at all, I just did not enjoy it as much.

Insane graphics when cranked, good story, your decisions in The Witcher make a difference, and great music. The bad includes still not being able to jump, too many long videos, and a complicated inventory.
  92. Sep 11, 2011
    This game went the same direction as Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. RPG elements cut down to minimal, lots of sexual attractivity to lure the horny masses in front of the screen and a washed-up rest of what was a great game in Witcher 1. What a pity ..
  93. May 17, 2011
    Take note EA, This is how a proper and immersible RPG is made. Have your mediocre and simplistic Dragon Age 2, This game exceeds it in every possible way. Truly a refreshing RPG in this 2011 year and definitely one of the better ones. I've been waiting for a real and actual RPG and having Witcher 2 grace the market/industry made me glad to be a PC Gamer. Depth and soul defines thisTake note EA, This is how a proper and immersible RPG is made. Have your mediocre and simplistic Dragon Age 2, This game exceeds it in every possible way. Truly a refreshing RPG in this 2011 year and definitely one of the better ones. I've been waiting for a real and actual RPG and having Witcher 2 grace the market/industry made me glad to be a PC Gamer. Depth and soul defines this game. Well done CD Projekt and do hope to see more (RPG) games produced by you. I would advise people to buy the game through GOG, CD Projekt's DRM-free site. Help and support not only the game but that company as well. The Witcher 2 is not broken, mediocre, or shoddy and I'm glad CD Projekt actually cares for their product and customers. Expand
  94. May 17, 2011
    Excellent game, and one of the best RPG experiences I've played since PS:Torment. Excellent graphics, with excellent story to hold you in. This is how you make a CRPG, if you were deeply disappointed with DA2, you won't be disappointed by this. I will say that the combat does have a bit of a learning curve, I regularly got my backside handed to me on normal. You won't get away withExcellent game, and one of the best RPG experiences I've played since PS:Torment. Excellent graphics, with excellent story to hold you in. This is how you make a CRPG, if you were deeply disappointed with DA2, you won't be disappointed by this. I will say that the combat does have a bit of a learning curve, I regularly got my backside handed to me on normal. You won't get away with simple hacking and slashing. A living world where your choices do make differences. Also, if you have any Witcher saves, you can import these. Which means I need to replay the Witcher again.

Even on my modest system(E5300, GTS450 w/4gb of ram), I can run this on high-ultra settings without much of a slowdown.
  95. Jul 20, 2012
    The games improved a lot since my initial review (when Witcher 2's was completely broken). Now it stands as one of the best RPG's in recent years. A mature story with good game play mechanics.
  96. May 19, 2011
    This is a great game. The only problems I've had are with the controls/camera during combat which are unresponsive at times and the lack of a decent tutorial. Art work is excellent. Story is decent for a video game. All in all the game is worth picking up if you have a upper end PC.
  97. May 27, 2011
    So I just finished The Witcher 2 and I am left feeling a little undecided still. There were moments that were fantastic and others where I struggled to force myself to go on. I am a great fan of the old classics. The first Baldur's Gate game still stands out in my mind but I enjoyed the sequel, as well as Morrowind and Oblivion - the latter slightly less than the former. So I suppose itSo I just finished The Witcher 2 and I am left feeling a little undecided still. There were moments that were fantastic and others where I struggled to force myself to go on. I am a great fan of the old classics. The first Baldur's Gate game still stands out in my mind but I enjoyed the sequel, as well as Morrowind and Oblivion - the latter slightly less than the former. So I suppose it comes down to taste. I thought there were some good scripting moments but a lot of the time I had no real idea what people were talking about (perhaps a symptom of having played but not finished the first game) or even if I did know what they were talking about I just didn't care. I wasn't fighting my own fight but merely a pawn in a greater struggle I had no real sympathy for. I was really excited about the combat after the first couple of tutorial fights. I played through Demon's Souls a number of times and loved that and there were certainly similarities. But sadly that was as good as it got. As you upgrade your skills the combat becomes less and less skillful and more and more of a button-mash fest. This was a real disappointment.

So all in all I liked the game but certainly didn't love it. It was a big improvement from the first one in many ways and hopefully they can continue that trend with what will almost certainly be a third game. On the right track but not quite there yet. Good, but not great. 7.5/10
  98. May 23, 2011
    Though I could probably point out a hundred flaws in it, overall the game is amazing. That sort of game where you can feel that the developers honestly put their hearts into making it.

My only big gripe in this game was the combat. The basic concept of the combat mechanics is fine, especially in the context of the game world. However the execution is flawed; many enemies are able to kill the player's character in two-three hits even on normal difficulty, which is not a problem by itself, however when unresponsive controls start getting into the way this becomes rather annoying. In addition, the balancing between the skill trees is far from perfect, as some abilities are absolutely critical to survive on harder difficulties while many others are pretty useless.
  99. Jul 16, 2011
    Starting off being one of the best RPG's I have ever played, the last two chapters did not shine off so well to me. The beginning was beautiful and wonderful, don't get me wrong. The story, setting, characters, and map design felt fresh and great to play in. The combat has gotten more difficult, which I like to see in games (considering how many games like to go easy on players theseStarting off being one of the best RPG's I have ever played, the last two chapters did not shine off so well to me. The beginning was beautiful and wonderful, don't get me wrong. The story, setting, characters, and map design felt fresh and great to play in. The combat has gotten more difficult, which I like to see in games (considering how many games like to go easy on players these days). However, I was not a fan of the potion-usage in the Witcher 2. In fact, I still question what was wrong with just keeping the Witcher 1's potion usage. Did they feel like being able to use your potion whenever was wrong? Unless I missed something, you could only use your potion when meditating, but it's a matter of opinons. When I entered the city in Chapter 3 (I believe), something felt off. It really did not feel like there was much to do and there really wasn't. The main quest line was a breeze and the dragon fight felt a little unsatisfying to me, it honest to god did not felt like I fought a dragon. And then in the epilogue, I did not like how they decided to have the bad guy (forgot his name, sorry) answer all your questions right there and then, instead of answering the questions slowly. He had at least 25 things to say (if you decided to listen) and I was sitting there wondering "Why couldn't they just answer some of these things over the game, not at once." And the ending was just so bland, it really had no meaning. The Witcher 1's ending was very intense and very story-compelling to me, they gave you a very good reason why the bad guy's were doing what they did. In the Witcher 2, the bad guy assassinated kings, which sparked off revolts, just because the king in the south caught him and said "I will start a new Witcher academy if you kill the king". Felt cliche and bland to me. To sum it up for any "tl;dr" people. First half of the game: Witcher 2>Witcher 1. Ending chapters of the game: Witcher 1 >>>>>>>>>> Witcher 2. Let's hope in the Witcher 3 that they can ultimately conclude this game series with a very interesting and mind-twisting ending. Expand
  100. May 18, 2011
    masterpiece of a game. deep mature storyline, fantastic combat and incredible graphics. its a must buy for pc gamers. i cant stand that all of these people are trolling this game with low scores. its ridiculous.
  101. May 18, 2011
    Wow. I actually said that out load when I started playing this game. I have the PC version and havnt yet tried the other console versions but I can easily say that the graphics are the best that I have ever seen. Blows Crysis, DAO(and 2) and even Metro 2033 out of the water. The "ubersample" settings are amazing and just make it even better, although be warned you need a bigtime rig. AsideWow. I actually said that out load when I started playing this game. I have the PC version and havnt yet tried the other console versions but I can easily say that the graphics are the best that I have ever seen. Blows Crysis, DAO(and 2) and even Metro 2033 out of the water. The "ubersample" settings are amazing and just make it even better, although be warned you need a bigtime rig. Aside from graphics the style of the game just drew me in. I was in that world, I was Geralt. I havnt beaten the game yet but the story is fantastic with some pretty amazing plot lines, characters and UNLIKE DA2 varied settings that make you believe. The interface was a bit clumsy at first but I have gotten used to it now and forging weapons, potions and adding upgrades seems easy now. This will win game of the year, unless the folks at Bethesda top it with Skyrim. Perhaps the people at EA(Bioware) can take a look at the Witcher 2 and understand how a gritty yet beautiful game is created. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011