The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings PC

8.5

1. May 23, 2011
    Excellent game, worth the money + they really pushed the boat out with basic hard copy extras! Well done guys keep it up! cant wait for the witcher 3. lol @ how well the boobs and vagina have been textured, obviously very well researched! On a side note, love how they have used the northern irish accent! good too see that we are rubbing off on the polish that come to live/visit here!
  2. Jun 6, 2011
    Well, this game is the best fantasy crpg I've played since, I don't know, possibly even Baldur's Gate. Every single aspect of the game is well thought out, you can almost feel the game developers' love which they poured into their creation. Memorable characters and monsters, amazing story, best graphics I've seen (I don't even think this is an exaggeration), rewarding and dynamic combatWell, this game is the best fantasy crpg I've played since, I don't know, possibly even Baldur's Gate. Every single aspect of the game is well thought out, you can almost feel the game developers' love which they poured into their creation. Memorable characters and monsters, amazing story, best graphics I've seen (I don't even think this is an exaggeration), rewarding and dynamic combat system, nice music and voicework. And most of all - loads of fun, games are supposed to be fun and this one is overflowing with fun. I really have to think hard of things I would improve - maybe some menus that are hard to get used to, that's it I guess. I would recommend it to anyone who is mature enough to appreciate what the game brings. And none other crpg brings more. Expand
  3. Jun 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics are great, voice acting is good, storyline's good and it's actually challenging (a definite plus) - really, this should be "the greatest RPG of 2011" ... but it's not, sorry. The game is flawed; CD Projekt Red have made some definitely strange decisions with The Witcher 2. First off, potions - a Witcher without potions is hardly a Witcher - and yet now you can't quick-slot them, you have to meditate before combat to drink your potions... definitely a bad move. Quick Time Events (QTE) - really, leave these on the consoles - tap X, now Y, now Z ... sorry, W, A or S. What? I wanted a game, not a movie with a random reaction test to occasionally hit a key. Oh, and it doesn't matter what level you are, mis-time hitting that key and you're dead. And boss fights? Really? This isn't Sonic the Hedgehog where I'd expect to bounce off the head of Doctor Robotnik at the end of every level - this is supposed to be a mature RPG. If you're going to do "boss fights" you have to do them well (like in say Metal Gear Solid 4) where you've generally got at least a couple of ways to achieve your goal - the Witcher 2 does them badly; they generally run to the effect of - drop you in an inescapable room with a badass monster/NPC and let you die repeatedly until you've worked out which particular tactics you're supposed to use to win... you must dodge 30 insta-death attacks until you tire the monster enough to whip a pink tutu over its head so that it dies of embarrassment - or something.

OK - general monster mashing combat has been improved since the original Witcher - there's a lot more dodging and bomb chucking required to excel - you can't just wade into a huge mob of drowners and occasionally click a button to win. The graphics, sound and all the shiny, shiny are streets ahead of anything similar - it blows Dragon Age 2 out of the water... but the gameplay; to be honest, it doesn't actually play as well as the original Witcher. The prologue for instance - playing "dodge the dragon" is just rubbish - "oh, we've arbitrarily changed the camera angle so that instead of pressing W to run forward you now need to press A to run down the screen..." - and for what purpose - to give you another pointless reaction test.

Then there's the "what the hell am I supposed to do now factor" ... take the Kayran fight in Act 1 for instance. Right I've chopped off the tentacles and it's dropped a bridge on its head... now what? Oh, I see, I'm supposed to randomly run up some fallen masonry and throw a magical bomb that I don't actually have into its open gullet? Seriously?

At least they've fixed the "Invert Mouse" and key bindings options now - otherwise I'd have only given it a 6. Still, I suspect if I was playing this game on the XBoX I'd have been much more impressed - on the PC I'm getting a distinct feeling of "crap, they've consolised another great game and borked it on the PC".
  4. Jun 20, 2011
    great game - story line really seemed meaningful (made you think b4 u decided and great story branches for replay value etc), you developed some great connections with the NPCs ingame, the graphics and overall atmosphere was pretty cool. Combat mechanics probably the weakest point - while good didn't quite hold its excitement towards the end of the game (cast quen - whack some bad guys -great game - story line really seemed meaningful (made you think b4 u decided and great story branches for replay value etc), you developed some great connections with the NPCs ingame, the graphics and overall atmosphere was pretty cool. Combat mechanics probably the weakest point - while good didn't quite hold its excitement towards the end of the game (cast quen - whack some bad guys - cast quen again - whack some more bad guys etc). Expand
  5. Jul 7, 2011
    This second part of The Witcher is not what it looks like. If you loved the first part, then run away from this 3rd Person Action Game with some light touches of RPG. It is exactly the same unfortunate story that previously happened with Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2. Although they used the same name followed by a 2, the gameplay is completely different. It is not a pure RPG, so ifThis second part of The Witcher is not what it looks like. If you loved the first part, then run away from this 3rd Person Action Game with some light touches of RPG. It is exactly the same unfortunate story that previously happened with Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2. Although they used the same name followed by a 2, the gameplay is completely different. It is not a pure RPG, so if like me this was what you were looking for, then you'll be disappointed (and with less money in your purse!). Expand
  6. Aug 5, 2011
    A great example of how to make an engaging fun and epic roleplaying game. Bioware should take notes...
    The graphics are outstanding. The combat is fun. It is more real time hack and slash (as opposed to "tactical" with pause and issue orders). The crafting system is similar to all the other games: mix ingredients and get a potion or item.
    The quest and story are engaging. Even

The quest and story are engaging. Even the cut scenes are great. Over all it has a cinematic feel to it.
  7. Aug 21, 2011
    It's one of the best RPG I've ever played.Graphics,characthers and story is amazing!Alchemy and crafting are very useful.There are a lot of things that you can do.
  8. Aug 29, 2011
    I loved the original Witcher game so much I looked forward to this sequel for years. I have tried many times to complete the game just to see where the story goes, but I just can't get into it. What a beautiful game! No complaints about the story. They changed so much and provided so little help I feel frustrated and lost almost all the time. I have seen a lot of games become harderI loved the original Witcher game so much I looked forward to this sequel for years. I have tried many times to complete the game just to see where the story goes, but I just can't get into it. What a beautiful game! No complaints about the story. They changed so much and provided so little help I feel frustrated and lost almost all the time. I have seen a lot of games become harder to beat lately. I think this is to make them appeal to FPS players. My feeling is they went too far on this one. Why didn't their beta testers warn them? Expand
  9. Aug 29, 2011
    This is an extremely nice game. If you are into a good story and want to think a little bit and enjoy good graphics, this is a game for you. You can see that the guys from Poland still remember what an enjoyable and challenging game should look like.
  10. Aug 31, 2011
    An absolutely fantastic action/rpg. For fans of Bioware games who miss the RPG elements that were stripped away in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. The game has a literary feel because it is based on a book and its characters are absorbing. The graphics are gorgeous and the sound effects perfect. I recommend playing The Witcher first so you are caught up on characters and can see howAn absolutely fantastic action/rpg. For fans of Bioware games who miss the RPG elements that were stripped away in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. The game has a literary feel because it is based on a book and its characters are absorbing. The graphics are gorgeous and the sound effects perfect. I recommend playing The Witcher first so you are caught up on characters and can see how flawlessly CDProjekt took what made the 1st game great and made it even better. Expand
  11. Feb 26, 2012
    Best game of 2011. Combat is meh, but this game isn't about combat. It's about amazing story with moral choices. Usually you can do either bad, or worse choice. Love it.
  12. Mar 7, 2012
    An absolutely fantastic game, one of the best RPG's I've played; period. The story is crisp and easy to follow while still grabbing the player and will leave them wondering what will unfold in the story. It is also one of the few RPG's I've seen where player choice really impacts the game, with whole new area's to be seen (Or unseen) depending on player choices. That being said the gameAn absolutely fantastic game, one of the best RPG's I've played; period. The story is crisp and easy to follow while still grabbing the player and will leave them wondering what will unfold in the story. It is also one of the few RPG's I've seen where player choice really impacts the game, with whole new area's to be seen (Or unseen) depending on player choices. That being said the game does have some flaws, I felt like it was frustratingly difficult to block, because of the limit on it, as well as some minor bits where the difficulty fluctuates wildly between fights. The romance options in the story are tasteful and never forced, and the characters are all wonderfully voice acted, especially Roche. Add in the fact that CD Projekt RED is releasing 4 more hours of game play to a part of the game the players liked the most is what bumps this game up beyond the norm. It's really worth getting, especially with how often it goes on sale for under 15 dollars. Expand
  13. Apr 17, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is GOTY 2011 for me. Incredible graphics, dynamic storyline with different outcomes depending on your choices, diverse gameplay and great replayablity. Also, CD Projekt RED offers fantastic support.
  14. Jun 3, 2013
    The best game I have played in quites some time. I enjoyed the story and played both sides of the second chapter. The graphics are superb and the combat while difficult in the beginning was very fun. I also enjoyed the adult themes. The only knock is the abysmal inventory, other than that its a must play for all gamers.
  15. Jul 5, 2014
    This game was incredibly captivating that I had to close it and immediately obtain Witcher 1 and study the witcher lore before I dared approach it.

Then, when I did, I enjoyed every minute of it. Gameplay and dialogues, the darkness of the world, the books and the mysteries involved. This game sets precedent for the future of this genre.
  16. Mar 31, 2013
    There are often fanboy flame wars over whether Skyrim or Dark Souls is better. The majority of them have never played this game. Great Fluid combat that makes you think, an interesting and beautiful world to explore, and a smart interesting story that doesn't shy away from violence and sexuality. Truly one greatest RPG's I've ever played.
  17. Dec 31, 2012
    The good: It's pretty.
    The good: It's pretty.
    The bad: Pretty much the rest of the game. Poor controls (non-customizable, feels like a bad Xbox port) no open world, you can't jump?, interface is bad, NOT an RPG, combat is horribly clunky, no replayability... really, very poorly done. I honestly bet the mod community could write a "witcher" mod and have it done in half the time, on 0 budget, and have it play 2000% better.

It get's 1 pt from me for the graphics, but nothing else.
  18. Jan 24, 2014
    This is definitely the best RPG that currently exists. The story, the combat, the enviroment, the graphics and the characters are all perfect. I can't wait for The Witcher 3.
  19. Dec 20, 2013
    This game can be difficult to start out on, however it's in depth gameplay, character development and rich storytelling make it my favorite RPG. It is a traditional RPG that takes the traditional style and does it very well. Let me repeat the story is amazing, and will have you waiting for the 3rd installment destined for the new gen consoles. If you stick to this game, filled with greatThis game can be difficult to start out on, however it's in depth gameplay, character development and rich storytelling make it my favorite RPG. It is a traditional RPG that takes the traditional style and does it very well. Let me repeat the story is amazing, and will have you waiting for the 3rd installment destined for the new gen consoles. If you stick to this game, filled with great combat, great writing and a unique and mysterious protagonist you will come to love it. It's an exemplum of what an RPG should be. Expand
  20. Apr 8, 2014
    I absolutely dejected the game after playing it for initial few hours probably because it was my first RPG experience. Eventually had to play the game because i had no other game left in my game library.
    And I'll accept that I totally enjoyed it. The story and its complexity leaves you spell bound. Every character has been so intricately designed and their voice acting is perfect. The more you explore the more it amazes you.
    Most game of this era have realistic graphics and it is no exception.
    So finally all those gamers like me who don't have much experience of the RPGs do try this game for sure.
    The only flaw in this game is its combat system which makes it pretty hard to kill multiple enemies.
  21. Oct 1, 2015
    Huge improvement over the first game in terms of gameplay. The combat is a ton of fun. The story is again very good and the choices you use have a HUGE impact on how the story plays out. There are 2 completely different paths for chapter 2 based on choices you make. Amazing game and one of my all time favourites.
  22. Aug 21, 2011
    Everything that's wrong in the (post)modern gaming industry... done right! Marvelous game with a caring developer behind it...CD Projekt's support seems to fulfill the meaning of "user support"... even topping it with free DLC and a soon-to-be-released free update bringing Witcher 2 to patch version 2.0 with true game-improvement (and that...as we all know - lately - is a rarity).
  23. May 20, 2011
    I'm not done chapter 1 but so far this game **** owns. Way better than DA2 and possibly GOTY for me.

There are minor complaints, but seeing as how they released an EE version of the witcher 1, I have high hopes they'll work on them. The game is absolutely stunning. The production values are through the roof, and the combat is fun and challenging. The music is as always in the witcher

The game is absolutely stunning. The production values are through the roof, and the combat is fun and challenging. The music is as always in the witcher series, wonderfully done. The cutscenes, the NPC interactions, the plot is all very engaging and interesting. There are tons of items, tons of neat places to see and things to collect and create.

The worst parts are easily: The UI (which has a very console feel), and certain aspects of the combat, but they overall are minor.

If I had to explain what this game is and what it stands for in the world of RPGs, it would be this.
    Wonderful.
  24. May 21, 2011
    Almost completely flawless; a work of art and an RPG masterpiece. My only qualm is with the new clunky and overly simplified inventory/journal/quest/codex screen.
  25. May 18, 2011
    Been playing for approximately 10 hours, game has been absolutely excellent so far. The graphics (especially the environments) are beautiful. The story deals with mature and morally ambiguous themes, with multiple endings and game path. The presentation is a really interesting take on non-linear gameplay. I'm not sure I'd call it non-linear so much as a collection of linear story arcsBeen playing for approximately 10 hours, game has been absolutely excellent so far. The graphics (especially the environments) are beautiful. The story deals with mature and morally ambiguous themes, with multiple endings and game path. The presentation is a really interesting take on non-linear gameplay. I'm not sure I'd call it non-linear so much as a collection of linear story arcs which can be played in any order. It's a smart way to accomplish non-linearity, as it's makes for a strong narrative while still giving the player the freedom to play as they see fit. Those who played the first Witcher will be glad to know the combat system has been completely revamped. The combo system is gone, and in its place, a true real-time combat system. Because of this, spells are integrated more seamlessly than in the previous, and you'll likely be using a combination of sword play, spells, and bombs on the fly in most engagements.

I haven't had too many issues with instability like others have reported and I'm running the steam version. All and all, an excellent action rpg for an age group of 18+ with a more refined gaming palate. If you like RPG's, definitely buy this game.
  26. May 24, 2011
    Has to be a Ten for one simple reason. Cd Project have made the game both witcher fans and rpg fans have always wanted, not the game that the shareholders wanted released ASAP. I personnelly have not been so challenged by any game on normal settings in recent times as i have been with the witcher 2, the quick load button is almost destroyed lol But this is not like many others badlyHas to be a Ten for one simple reason. Cd Project have made the game both witcher fans and rpg fans have always wanted, not the game that the shareholders wanted released ASAP. I personnelly have not been so challenged by any game on normal settings in recent times as i have been with the witcher 2, the quick load button is almost destroyed lol But this is not like many others badly designed games that punish your mistakes. the simple fact is if you dont react correctly you get burned lol Also this has been welcome because of some of the combat issues i had in the witcher 1. I could complete the whole game only having to use a few health potions rendering Alchemy irrelivent which in the world of the witcher should be a must have. In terms of role playing aswell i love the fact not everthing is spoon fed to me. For example go kill x monsters. Most rpgs would be strait on the mini map showing you exactly were to go and tell you what to do. The witcher 2 makes you explore and makes you research ways of defeating monsters instead of running in hack and slash return to quest giver thanks for the gold!! last but not least the cinematics and voice acting are top class! CD Project have one problem now! How do they top the witcher 2? Expand
  27. May 17, 2011
    This is not only the best RPG I have ever played but my all time favorite game now. Been playing all night and just wow.

Incredibly fast, fun, tactful combat system. That is just so unbelievably smooth it just feels great. Mixing sorcery with sword play, dodging, blocking. Huge improvement from the first. The storyline is just so engaging and well written. The voice acting is fantastic.

The storyline is just so engaging and well written. The voice acting is fantastic. The graphics...dear god the graphics. Just stunning in every way. Such a gorgeous game.

I can't recommend this game enough. Go and buy it!!
  28. Jun 2, 2011
    The first game in years to make my PC beg for mercy is also one of the finest examples of action Role Playing ever created. From the very start, The Witcher 2 just oozes atmosphere and finally brings back the true RPG experience from yesteryear. Yes, it can be challenging though not on simple 1 dimensional level , challenge comes in many forms not just from combat, you also are submittedThe first game in years to make my PC beg for mercy is also one of the finest examples of action Role Playing ever created. From the very start, The Witcher 2 just oozes atmosphere and finally brings back the true RPG experience from yesteryear. Yes, it can be challenging though not on simple 1 dimensional level , challenge comes in many forms not just from combat, you also are submitted to difficult choices and then experience the aftermath of your actions.

Don't expect any hand Holding - This is not an interactive movie disguised as an RPG.

Ever notice why some of these low ranking reviews only contain press release screenshots? Me too.....

29. Oct 7, 2011
    In short, one the greatest RPG's of all time. Terrifically immersing world and story, believable and original characters, a staggering number of choices and consequences, and challenging gameplay to boot. A must play for fans of the Fanatasy RPG genre.
  30. May 20, 2011
    Do you enjoy games with good graphics? Do you enjoy a compelling, dark, fantasy storyline? Do you enjoy characters that don't feel like they were written by ten year olds? (I'm looking at you Dragon Age 2) Then I think the Witcher 2 is a perfect game for you! Despite some steep hardware capabilities, this is a fantastic game made by a great developer that will have free DLC and is alreadyDo you enjoy games with good graphics? Do you enjoy a compelling, dark, fantasy storyline? Do you enjoy characters that don't feel like they were written by ten year olds? (I'm looking at you Dragon Age 2) Then I think the Witcher 2 is a perfect game for you! Despite some steep hardware capabilities, this is a fantastic game made by a great developer that will have free DLC and is already quite expansive. Expand
  31. May 19, 2011
    They managed to do what Bioware/EA was trying to do with the Dragon Age IP , except they didn't completely **** the bed, destroy the franchise and lose 90% of their fans and customers!

I'm only a few hours into the game, but the plot and characters are extremely compelling, the combat is a blast, although it would have been nice if the difficulty ramped up a bit more slowly. A guy shouldn't have to reload a save two dozen times during the TUTORIAL while he's trying to get a feel for the system...

The graphics are amazing, and run flawlessly at max settings on my middle of the road PC. (2.0ghz amd quad, 6 gb ram, radeon 5770)
  32. May 17, 2011
    This game is quite possibly the best game I've ever played. Depth and accessibility all in one.

Few games achieve the perfection TW2 has reached, the world is engrossing, the combat is fun, the RPG STILL EXISTS! Conversation is believable, adult, non-patronizing and totally involving. TW1 didn't even come close to this, it only hinted at it. Thank you CDP for proving that smart people

Thank you CDP for proving that smart people exist still, not everyone is a DA2 tardo-box.
  33. Oct 3, 2011
    Excellent game that upgrades almost every aspect of the original game. A very good story that has a mature feel to it and is believable. Pretty much all the quests feel relevant, very few "kill x amount of something"-quests. Graphics and soundtrack is top of the line. Combat is good and varied, you can do combat in many different ways depending on what you like. There are a few things toExcellent game that upgrades almost every aspect of the original game. A very good story that has a mature feel to it and is believable. Pretty much all the quests feel relevant, very few "kill x amount of something"-quests. Graphics and soundtrack is top of the line. Combat is good and varied, you can do combat in many different ways depending on what you like. There are a few things to complain about in this game and one might be how the potion system works. You really should be able to drink a potion without having to go into meditation. That would make drinking potions more useful and it would keep the pace in the game.
    Another small complaint is that I would have liked to have direct access to all the different information windows in the game from within an already open window. Like in the original game there was a round menu in the upper right corner of the screen where you can easily switch between for example the character window and the quests window.

Overall an excellent game that should not be missed, especially if you can appreciate a good story.
    Definitely one of the best games of 2011.
  34. May 22, 2011
    Great game, improves on his predecessor and by far the best rpg released in years.
    AI should be improved and also combat variety.

Please buy it on gog.com and support cdproject.
  35. May 20, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the first game. This one looks great, has enjoyable characters, and as another person said here - combat is dangerous. All the bad stuff I can think of so far is pretty minor: 1. The minigames are not well made, the controls are poorly done, which makes boring games even less fun. 2. It has that weird OCD trap of leaving loot lying around in every other crtate inI'm a big fan of the first game. This one looks great, has enjoyable characters, and as another person said here - combat is dangerous. All the bad stuff I can think of so far is pretty minor: 1. The minigames are not well made, the controls are poorly done, which makes boring games even less fun. 2. It has that weird OCD trap of leaving loot lying around in every other crtate in town, so you feel you HAVE to loot it, even it it means walking into a stranger's home, not speaking to them, and stuffing your pockets with loot from their bedroom while they watch. Even more ludicrous was stealing from crates while 2 npc's are actually doing inventory on them. It stretches the bounds are good storytelling. 3. Those pretty graphics everyone is talking about impede movement in abnormal ways, like not being able to run forward past a big blade of grass. Sucks in combat. 4. It needs some simple options in the PC version like INVERTING the Y-axis! Yes, I found out where to edit the user.ini, but I shouldn't have to. The camera controls are a little hard to like also. 5. I miss the timed combat moves from the previous game. Just saying. It's a good complicated game. There's depth here. I wouldn't go so far as to say it offers a lot of open role play though. You are re-learning skills you already had. OK, memory loss, it's been over done in stories, but makes sense here. It's not like Arkham Asylum, where Batman learns his own basics skills in a couple of hours. That made no sense and yet was incredibly fun. Expand
  36. May 17, 2011
    Awesome game. Now i'm a massive Bioware fan, but the difference between this release and Dragon Age 2. CD Projeckt have made the game they wanted to make and the game the fans wanted, rather than trying to appeal the lowest common denominator as Bioware did. Deep RPG mechanics, excellent combat, engaging story, brilliant characters, and best of all, choices which really matter

I

I should also mention the excellent amount of stuff you get in the box! It made me feel like i was a kid ripping open an Atari ST game again!
  37. May 28, 2011
    This game is a little bit below what I expected. After Playing the first game, I had high hopes for the second one. Some of the things I did like about TW2 was the environment that was set up. Everything looked beautiful. Also, the didn't have nearly as many bugs as TW1 did when it first came out. The story line was pretty solid and let me say this; this game feels linear, but playThis game is a little bit below what I expected. After Playing the first game, I had high hopes for the second one. Some of the things I did like about TW2 was the environment that was set up. Everything looked beautiful. Also, the didn't have nearly as many bugs as TW1 did when it first came out. The story line was pretty solid and let me say this; this game feels linear, but play through again making different choices and you probably won't end up with the same conclusion, maybe not even the same story. Now, there are some things that I didn't like about this game. There was barely any tutorial at all. The only help you got was from a little box in the corner of the screen to tell you what to do. They also made the tutorial more difficult than it should have been. I get that this game was meant to be for the hardcore player, but the game gets easier as you go further into the game, which also means the level pacing was bad. Many people have complained about the inventory mechanics and other things, but that didn't bother me too much because it was similar to TW1. The one thing that killed the game though, was the scripting into American English. Talking in the medieval tone and accent is fine, but when you start dropping the f-bombs and other slang that doesn't fit in with the game at all, that is NOT ok. Overall, This game is pretty good. It didn't meet my expectations, But it was still an enjoyable experience. Expand
  38. May 23, 2011
    Excellent game! If you love RPG this is the game for you in 2011. Simply superb graphics and storytelling. Different battle system compared to TW1 and it works much better. I had trouble playing on harder difficulties in this game when I breezed through the insane difficulty on TW1. It's a must buy. I would even re-play TW1 just to see how it affects events in this game. DO get this gameExcellent game! If you love RPG this is the game for you in 2011. Simply superb graphics and storytelling. Different battle system compared to TW1 and it works much better. I had trouble playing on harder difficulties in this game when I breezed through the insane difficulty on TW1. It's a must buy. I would even re-play TW1 just to see how it affects events in this game. DO get this game instead if you're thinking of DA2 which I never even bothered to finish. Expand
  39. May 18, 2011
    Im 3 hours in the game and its stunning from graphics to everything else. Its worth every penny and even more. I feel sorry for DA2 fans who cant stand watching how "Real" RPG beats the crap out of "over-hyped" Bioware company name and their DA2 title.

You can live on past glory, cuz some1 else will come and do it properly. Go Go CD Projekt Red show them how to make RPG.

Witcher is my name!
  40. May 18, 2011
    Got to love all trolls, with names like "Bioware" trying to lower this score. This game's biggest flaw is the technical side of things, which they are working out, much of that is user error. This a great game, don't let the bioware love crowd, try hate on this. Because there precious DA2 didn't deliver. Enjoy this great game people!
  41. May 24, 2011
    Amazing!! I'm not a big RPG fan, but I bought this game on a whim and I can't seem to stop playing. It's refreshing to play a game that actually challenges you during combat. There's very little hand-holding in this game and occasionally your character **gasp** dies from your mistakes! The graphics are also top notch and will set the new benchmark for PC punishment... the "Uber Sampling"Amazing!! I'm not a big RPG fan, but I bought this game on a whim and I can't seem to stop playing. It's refreshing to play a game that actually challenges you during combat. There's very little hand-holding in this game and occasionally your character **gasp** dies from your mistakes! The graphics are also top notch and will set the new benchmark for PC punishment... the "Uber Sampling" option can bring any current GPU to it's knees. The only negative is the fact that you can't remap some of the keys for combat (a stupid oversight by the development team), but there's an update on the way to fix this issue. Expand
  42. May 17, 2011
    One of the best rpg's i've EVER played,and i've played them all,including that utter piece of **** called dragon age 2-hey,bioware-take notes THIS is how it's done-and tell your insecure employees to stop giving a game that ****s all over yours a 0 and get back into the development studio to make dragon age 3 an actual rpg this time-because judging from your last game,you're gonna need allOne of the best rpg's i've EVER played,and i've played them all,including that utter piece of **** called dragon age 2-hey,bioware-take notes THIS is how it's done-and tell your insecure employees to stop giving a game that ****s all over yours a 0 and get back into the development studio to make dragon age 3 an actual rpg this time-because judging from your last game,you're gonna need all the help you can get...what else can i say? AMAZING!!!! GOTY 2011. Expand
  43. May 17, 2011
    1:First let me say that this game is amazing & Cd Projekt has made one of the best rpg I have ever played!
    2:Most Rpg's get something right like magic or story or fighting!
    3:The Witcher 2 get gets the story,Fighting and magic right! 3: I am so glade I pre ordered this amazing game & I don't want my money back! 4: It stomps all over dragon lame 2! 5:The main quest without side quests &
    2:Most Rpg's get something right like magic or story or fighting!
    3:The Witcher 2 get gets the story,Fighting and magic right!
    3: I am so glade I pre ordered this amazing game & I don't want my money back!
    4: It stomps all over dragon lame 2!
    5:The main quest without side quests & taking different paths is 40 hours!
    6:Nuff said buy this game!
    7:My personal goty!
  44. May 17, 2011
    I registered just to fix this injustice done by Bioware employee, M_stanndard. Of course I'll do the same with Dragon Age 2, I hate ppl like this. This game deserves best, it got everything, non-linear story, best graphics out there, great quests, splendid dialogues, deep combat system, especially combined with the traps, alchemy, bombs and of course Witcher Signs. I love how everything isI registered just to fix this injustice done by Bioware employee, M_stanndard. Of course I'll do the same with Dragon Age 2, I hate ppl like this. This game deserves best, it got everything, non-linear story, best graphics out there, great quests, splendid dialogues, deep combat system, especially combined with the traps, alchemy, bombs and of course Witcher Signs. I love how everything is detailed, a blade with rune own a glowing sign on the edge, and of course different effect while lubricant is put.

Love this game. 10/10
  45. May 17, 2011
    GOTY 2011 candidate, at least unless Diablo 3 shows up this year. An awesome RPG game, just like the first part - compared to Dragon Age 2 it wins pretty much in nearly every aspect (the exception being higher system requirements). It also helps if you are familiar with The Witcher Saga by A. Sapkowski.
  46. May 17, 2011
    M_Stannard's review is a sharp bit of sarcasm oriented to Dragon Age 2, it's clear :) Though, why just for the sake of sarcasm give a really good game (The Witcher 2) a negative score? Think about it, M_Stannard, because it may misguide people, who look only at scores chart and do not actually read your review. Because if one reads your review, it's immediately apparent that it's sarcasticM_Stannard's review is a sharp bit of sarcasm oriented to Dragon Age 2, it's clear :) Though, why just for the sake of sarcasm give a really good game (The Witcher 2) a negative score? Think about it, M_Stannard, because it may misguide people, who look only at scores chart and do not actually read your review. Because if one reads your review, it's immediately apparent that it's sarcastic :)

Now, about The Witcher 2 - the game is really, really great!!!
  47. May 17, 2011
    This was worth what felt like a very long wait. If the first game was the statement of intent, this is the full realisation of those aims. Everything that worked in the first game has been tuned up to a yet higher magnitude, everything that needed polish has been TLC'd to a shine and everything that detracted from the game has been thrown out and replaced with something that deserves toThis was worth what felt like a very long wait. If the first game was the statement of intent, this is the full realisation of those aims. Everything that worked in the first game has been tuned up to a yet higher magnitude, everything that needed polish has been TLC'd to a shine and everything that detracted from the game has been thrown out and replaced with something that deserves to stand alongside the other great achievements of the game.

The storyline carries on in true cinematic fashion, but not in a hand-holding MGS kind of way - no, from the offset you're playing your own Geralt and interacting with the world and characters in the way you see fit. The voice acting was inconsistent in the first game, never awful but rarely that good. In this game it's knitted together much more coherently which adds to the believability and aids in the storytelling and roleplaying. The combat in the first game was a case of a good idea that just didn't work quite as planned. The sequel sees the developer nail it and deliver a fighting system that represents the way the characters fight in the books and feels natural and fluid for the player. Hell, even the way the game updates and installs DLC (all of it is free, no DLC will cost you any money in this game) is user friendly and a pleasure to use.

I simply couldn't recommend this game more for a fan of RPGs, adventure or even just good stories told well.
  48. May 17, 2011
    Can't decide which is best: the amazing graphics, the compelling narrative or the incredible depth this game possesses. The Witcher 2 sets a new standard for computer RPGs, with a mature world, filled with remarkable characters in a game which is a tantamount to Stroker's Dracula as is Dragon Age II to Twilight. But it's not just that. CDProjekt has been shown a respectful developerCan't decide which is best: the amazing graphics, the compelling narrative or the incredible depth this game possesses. The Witcher 2 sets a new standard for computer RPGs, with a mature world, filled with remarkable characters in a game which is a tantamount to Stroker's Dracula as is Dragon Age II to Twilight. But it's not just that. CDProjekt has been shown a respectful developer towards PC gamers in general, offering free DLCs, an amazing Collector's Edition which is not riddled with in-game items and the best graphics your computer is or isn't able to handle. The game itself is a perfect 10; CDProjekt's attitude makes it worth an 11. Expand
  49. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Definitely the best game I've ever played, the game surefire candidate for 2011. A significant jump up after and so perfect a part of this game will be remembered for a very long Expand
  50. Wik
    May 17, 2011
    The best solo player game for years. The graphics is one thing, but the world, the characters and combat is amazing. I cant find any bad things to say about this game.
  51. May 18, 2011
    The best RPG game since the days of ps2!! If not the GOTY will at least be in the competition for top positions! CD Projekt Red Studio is to be congratulated for the quality of your product and even more because of all the DLC except expansions are free.
  52. May 18, 2011
    This game is a clear example of what a good PC game is. CD Projekt RED has done an awesome job with the story, graphics, and design of the game. The graphics engine, dubbed "RED Engine", allows you to customize a myriad of features ranging from screen space ambient occlusion to depth of field. Best of all, any future DLC for The Witcher 2 will be free (just as it should be for every PCThis game is a clear example of what a good PC game is. CD Projekt RED has done an awesome job with the story, graphics, and design of the game. The graphics engine, dubbed "RED Engine", allows you to customize a myriad of features ranging from screen space ambient occlusion to depth of field. Best of all, any future DLC for The Witcher 2 will be free (just as it should be for every PC game). If you're looking for a fresh, immersive, and complex RPG... then The Witcher 2 will keep you busy for hours. Expand
  53. May 18, 2011
    First, this game is awesome. If you don't play this game you are truly missing out on one of the Best RPG games ever. It amazes me when I look through the reviews and you see some guy give a seriously low score. Some of you must have no lives that you have to write low reviews of an awesome game. I can understand someone maybe giving this game an 8 or maybe even a 7 but any lower than thatFirst, this game is awesome. If you don't play this game you are truly missing out on one of the Best RPG games ever. It amazes me when I look through the reviews and you see some guy give a seriously low score. Some of you must have no lives that you have to write low reviews of an awesome game. I can understand someone maybe giving this game an 8 or maybe even a 7 but any lower than that you are just letting everyone know that you are a moron. This Game is a definite 10. I know that no game is perfect so in reality no game should ever get a 10, but any game that is so awesome and fun to play deserves a fat 10. Expand
  54. May 22, 2011
    Streamlining done right.
    Streamlining done right.
    The Witcher 2 as a game is the meaning of the word progress. Everything from the graphics to the systems behind the game are an amazing feat, one you would expect from a big named developer backed up by a huge budget . The looks of the game are not only unparalleled due to its PC only nature, but also because it presents a world that feels hand crafted. The attention to detail borders on the extreme: the clothes, the houses and buildings, the faces of the characters their weapons and in general every corner, nook and cranny of the world has a distinctive touch. The scenery is simply breathtaking, and if you are like me you will want to make a screenshot out of every frame. It also shows that you don't need an overabundance of browns and blood reds in your palette to show a gritty dark fantasy world. This game shows its maturity not through a pretense of adult topics or over the top action animations, but through a careful use of its elements and by showing the player some respect: yes, you are an adult, and you can handle these topics, because indeed the Witcher's is a dark world filled with conspiracies, racism and characters in between every single shade of gray. It is a living, breathing, unforgiving world.
    The story is as complex as in the first game, filled with twists and choices that may change the fate of many, and forking paths that make a replay of the game not only encouraged, but required in order to see the extent to which they occur and diverge. Normal and hard difficulties are recommended and will test your skills if you don't face every battle with all seriousness, preparing beforehand by brewing and drinking potions and using all of your abilities during the fight, i.e. your swords your magic signs depending on what enemy you face and traps and bombs for your crowd control.
    The actual combat is in no way dumbed down. It will still punish you if you go unprepared and you can't mash your way out of battles. It is in much better shape than in the first game, and friendly to both the use of a gamepad or mouse and keyboard. The user interface is slick and great looking.
    The ending of the game comes abruptly, and you might feel that it doesn't solve every issue the game presents (the main storyline issues ARE solved, though). It is no excuse from what many will consider a downbeat ending, but in all honesty it doesn't detract a single beat from what this game does right, which is almost everything else. Even if you don't like the ending you will feel that the journey was worth it.
    In the end I feel like I'm required to score this game a 10 despite its shortcomings not because it is a perfect game, but because it is an honest one. When more and more AAA releases are done with specific quarters in mind, or with demographics numbers behind, or executives who never play games are calling the shots, The Witcher 2 really feels developed to please it audience, to show them they too are tired of these.
    There is a certain level of quality you expect from bigger developers which have more of a history and a name, because they deliver experiences that go way beyond what you might get from the indie guys. It is OK, they have the money and the numbers behind. This is a trend that has been changing in the last years and that no longer holds true in most cases though. You might think that one can give a pass to the smaller guys just because they make a lot with too few, and thus a 7 might become an 8 or a 9 might become a 10 this way. In this case in particular neither of these apply. In my mind CDProject RED are already the big name, from whom I will expect unrelenting quality and because after what they achieved they can't be considered the little guy any longer. With the Witcher 2 they delivered a game that is truly above and beyond any RPG from the last years, that feels like a product of love, careful planning and an overall shout to fans and the gaming community that says "we know what you want, and we can deliver. Where others have failed you we will prevail." And God if they don't.
    A serious contender for RPG and overall game of the Year is here, and frankly there is little in the horizon that looks like it might compete with it. Five years from now when other games made by bigger companies are all forgotten in the $5 bargain bins of the world, many a gamer will be reinstalling this game to reminisce and fondly say: "yes, I played a game was this good in 2011, and it was glorious."
    Congratulations CDProject, you just released your first masterpiece.
  55. May 19, 2011
    Has a legit claim for the greatest RPG of this generation.
    Has a legit claim for the greatest RPG of this generation.
    This might be a strange comparison but The Witcher 2 reminds of Metal Gear Solid franchise. The immaculate attention to detail in almost every category, the story telling, the character and world design, the cinematics, the depth of gameplay, music and of course the graphics. Of course you can say Mass Effect 2 can almost fuflil everything I just mentioned, the difference is The Witcher 2 hasn't forgotten its root as a hardcore RPG and thats a blessing.
  56. May 19, 2011
    I was a huge fan of The first Witcher game to the point it made me buy the two novels that the game was based one. Considering this I was hoping the sequel would not be a let down and it wasn't! The graphics is stunning. The combat is a huge improvement compared to its predecessor. I enjoy the continuation of the story script where it's a darker world filled with consequences. Plus no DRM,I was a huge fan of The first Witcher game to the point it made me buy the two novels that the game was based one. Considering this I was hoping the sequel would not be a let down and it wasn't! The graphics is stunning. The combat is a huge improvement compared to its predecessor. I enjoy the continuation of the story script where it's a darker world filled with consequences. Plus no DRM, this is my new drug! This has to be RPG game of the year 2011. Expand
  57. May 20, 2011
    I am seriously annoyed with how many people have actually just made new accounts out of jealously for how great this game is. Sure it does have it's flaws, but they are so few and devalued, that it is next to zero effect on gameplay. Being that this engine was made specifically with PC's in mind and not a console port as some moronic reviewers have put it, it is going to be more difficultI am seriously annoyed with how many people have actually just made new accounts out of jealously for how great this game is. Sure it does have it's flaws, but they are so few and devalued, that it is next to zero effect on gameplay. Being that this engine was made specifically with PC's in mind and not a console port as some moronic reviewers have put it, it is going to be more difficult to optimize for everyone's machine. I myself can play the game on max settings with very few framerate hiccups, but I can understand the frustration. I don't have a review as of yet, but I will tell you so far this second trip to the world of the witcher has been worth the wait and definitely outweighs the hype. Expand
  58. Jun 4, 2011
    99.9 Amazing game it continue the absolutely magnificent story of the witcher 1 every choose you make in the game influence your ending and you will never know if what you did was the right thing after you beat the game a few time you will still have thing to discover weapon to find and quest to make probably the only real revelation of 2011 so far
  59. May 22, 2011
    This year is not over yet but for now this game is GOTY for me.As all mention it got amazing graphics , great story, this game is made with love and passion.Keep it up CDP
  60. May 23, 2011
    First off, I need to say that I only bought Witcher 2 out of curiosity and that I haven´t played the first part. I´ve played Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Gothic 3, Risen and STO over the last years (on harder difficulties) - so that´s more or less the foundation for any evaluation and comparison...

THE GOOD: The game has absolutely

THE GOOD:

The game has absolutely beautiful and stunning visuals that create an atmosphere in some places which is matched by few other games to date. At least it blew my mind a couple of times. Along with this, most of the level design ist absolutely first rate, too. Animations are generally very smooth, the voice acting (EN) is very good and "authentic" and the characters are mostly appealing. While I haven´t completed the story yet, I (not knowing The Witcher 1) must say that the characters show a certain unpredictability and duality. I´m not familiar with any kind of fantasy literature (except LOTR - which I read before the movies came out), so this whole plot thing may be significantly less predictable to me than to others... Up to now the game has proven to be very motivating - I really like exploring the small but gorgeous areas in forests, plains, towns etc. The hunt for new items is fun, too - as it should be in any good RPG. While you do not have a breathtaking amount of freedom in this game, it doesn´t create any strong sense of things recurring too often. All in all, this portion of the game(play) works absolutely fine with me.

The rest will have to be cut down in length due to the limited number of characters... It´s no less significant though!

THE BAD:

- The difficulty is already ridiculous on "normal" (thanks in no small part to the AI and controls)
    - Combat is mostly either frustrating or nothing but button mashing and rolling around on the ground (resembles Gothic 3); magic mostly sucks
    - Unrefined controls; you can´t jump and you can (and will) get stuck on every tiny little object (especially fun during combat)
    - More MMO-like AI behaviour (trigger zones for whole mobs etc.)
    - No real tutorial (read the manual!)
    - Poor inventory screen (remember Obllivion?)
    - Little character development & customization (it´s more like Dead Space than Oblivion for example)

THE UGLY:

- Lots of invisible level barriers (Geralt can´t jump because he´s too old for that)- this one sucks big time
    - Graphics glitches (NPCs popping up out of thin air, moonwalk-NPCs etc.)
    - Loading screens when entering/leaving buildings (not really a big one in this list)
    - Registration required to get all the quests and items in the game (really wtf?!)

CONCLUSION:

This game does have a lot of atmosphere and potential - both of which are ruined to a certain degree by really unnecessary flaws in game design and gameplay. It more or less works a s a whole, but at times the gameplay is simply infuriating or it has you sitting in front of the screen thinking "What were they thinking!?" Additionally, the character development in this game is quite limited. It works more like those shooter games that have implemented RPG-elements. Be aware of this before you buy the game. After this experience I´ll gladly be waiting for Skyrim...
    I may be nitpicking at times, but why should we just quietly accept all the bad ideas that game designers come up with?! After all, I payed 50â
  61. May 26, 2011
    For me, the game is excellent! Beautiful, quite difficult and addictive.
    Some people here probably don't know how to read. Clearly it is written - from 18 years! Too difficult for you? Everything has to be easy and friendly as for preschoolers?
    Well, kids, TW2 is not for you. Wait a few years.
    My real rating is 9.8.
  62. May 31, 2011
    Great RPG with challenging combat, a deep broody protagonist and a cast of memorable side kicks. I have played through the game twice - hit both main story lines and I'm back for a third. At first I found the combat punishingly difficult (i'm mostly a console gamer - so that might also play into it) but once you get the timeing and nuances of spells, bombs, traps and dodging down itGreat RPG with challenging combat, a deep broody protagonist and a cast of memorable side kicks. I have played through the game twice - hit both main story lines and I'm back for a third. At first I found the combat punishingly difficult (i'm mostly a console gamer - so that might also play into it) but once you get the timeing and nuances of spells, bombs, traps and dodging down it becomes challenging but not frustrating. It is a game that rewards experimentation with the combat as well as with the role playing options. It is really nice to find an RPG that doesn't have a dumbed down combat system. We can handle moral dilema's and blade (or two) at the same time. My only gripe is that the previews made it seem like a much bigger more open world than it really is. I was hoping for maps at least as open as the original Witcher what I got was less open than that but more open then say Dragon II. As that expectation was raised I was initially somewhat disappointed to find the areas to be explored rather limited. As with the original expect a good deal of profanity, pretty close to full frontal female nudity, and moderately graphic simulated sex. Expand
  63. Jun 4, 2011
    The job CDP have done here is simply stunning. The game runs at about 30 fps at 1080p on my rather outdated Radeon 4850 and the quality of its art and visuals make me think of Blizzard games. Impressive job, given the fact that these Polish guys probably don't have the resources of major Western studios.
    Just walk through the forest near Flotsam at night to understand what I mean.
    I'm
    Just walk through the forest near Flotsam at night to understand what I mean.

I'm mostly staying away from Quen during this runthough; the fights require a bit of research - collecting books about the enemies, preparing blade coatings and potions for the witcher, while the story is top-notch and very much in the spirit of Sapkowski's "Blood of the Elves" and "The Last Wish".

Definitely recommended if you want a game with an engaging story, in a stylish package - finally something to put your 2010 computer to work in a non-gratuitous manner.
  64. Aug 13, 2011
    Brilliant game, great pacing, great quests, my favorite part? The ambiguity of what it means to be "good" or "evil". Instead of the usual choice between "goodie two shoes" and "completely evil bastard" with nothing in between, you actually have to make choices between shades of grey and live with the consequences. I was actually beginning to lose hope that we'd never see a truly great RPGBrilliant game, great pacing, great quests, my favorite part? The ambiguity of what it means to be "good" or "evil". Instead of the usual choice between "goodie two shoes" and "completely evil bastard" with nothing in between, you actually have to make choices between shades of grey and live with the consequences. I was actually beginning to lose hope that we'd never see a truly great RPG again. Definitely raises the bar of what an RPG can be. Expand
  65. Aug 20, 2011
    Very good game a good story. if a little short however the combat is very good and very challenging though the controls could be tightened up a bit as they can seem a bit unresponsive. Vastly superior to other rpg's out there such as Dragon Age which seems to have stolen its combat system from Runescape.
  66. Sep 3, 2011
    I saw some stupid reviews here that gives the game 1. Those guys could not even cognize a new game with all of their new rules if not from Bio'sla'ver. 1. Attack strategy of Geralt: killing lots of opponents at the same time is like hitting critital. When you hit a critical, you change the course of the fight? You can improve this chance even from the warrior talent tree.. 2. MonsterI saw some stupid reviews here that gives the game 1. Those guys could not even cognize a new game with all of their new rules if not from Bio'sla'ver. 1. Attack strategy of Geralt: killing lots of opponents at the same time is like hitting critital. When you hit a critical, you change the course of the fight? You can improve this chance even from the warrior talent tree.. 2. Monster strategy, endrega queen: No, we want to use our brain in the game to defeat monsters, why we play a game anyway? Shouldn't be different from a zero-interactive-movie? 3.Random quest givers: Why on earth this brilliant feature could be a negative effect? 4. Random quest order: Why on earth this brilliant feature seems like a negative effect for a game on your brains? This game is an epic and releases us from the stupid Bio'sla'ver even-under-six-age-can-end-it games. Expand
  67. Sep 8, 2011
    Simply put, if you enjoyed the first game or are a fan of any RPG this one is by far the best you can find. Despite being a pirate I would happily fork out £40-50 for such a beautifully realised world like that in TW2. GOTY? Quite possibly...
  68. Oct 11, 2011
    So far my favorite game of 2011, Briliant graphics in a very credible game world. Best feature: the choices you make really do CHANGE the game. Briliant replayability and a long single player campaign. WARNING... Do not buy for your kids... this is a game for adults only.
  69. Nov 1, 2011
    CD Projekt Red has GOTY 2011 in the pocket. There's signs of developer blindness (until the mega 2.0 redux patch the difficulty curve was very steep unless you browsed for some helpful tutorials online) and some of the features either somewhat strange or simply badly documented but those are minor setbacks as Witcher 2 is a technological and artistic masterpiece and shows (for most of) theCD Projekt Red has GOTY 2011 in the pocket. There's signs of developer blindness (until the mega 2.0 redux patch the difficulty curve was very steep unless you browsed for some helpful tutorials online) and some of the features either somewhat strange or simply badly documented but those are minor setbacks as Witcher 2 is a technological and artistic masterpiece and shows (for most of) the game industry how you create a game that will be remembered as a classic while taking care of your fans and customers. Expand
  70. Mar 1, 2013
    Best story in an rpg that I've experienced in a looooong time. Combat is harder than other games but there are too many combat friendly rpgs nowadays. I like the challenge and feeling like a mortal, not being god like.
  71. Dec 22, 2011
    Great game with a fan-base passionate & dedicated enough to stamp every negative review with dislike. The game is excellent, but negative reviews are being unfairly reported.
  72. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is a 10/10. The story is immersive, the graphics beautiful, the game play and combat system very cool and skill-based. I tried to complete as many quests as possible and leveled fairly high and yet I never felt that the enemies were too easy to kill, so they scale well with you. The extra content post-release shows how much this company cares about the games they create. The newThis game is a 10/10. The story is immersive, the graphics beautiful, the game play and combat system very cool and skill-based. I tried to complete as many quests as possible and leveled fairly high and yet I never felt that the enemies were too easy to kill, so they scale well with you. The extra content post-release shows how much this company cares about the games they create. The new 10 GB content pack released a few days ago proves that. Incredible. Well worth the money spent. Expand
  73. Nov 1, 2012
    This is truly the best game I have ever played. I shouldn't have to say much for you to understand what I mean, really just read the other reviews. I love this game! Amazing story, characters, world + lore, graphics and more!
  74. Dec 21, 2013
    So, Witcher 2. A great game indeed. For me, it stands in one line with my favorite RPG games Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate,SW Knights of the Old Republic 1, Fallout, Arcanum. What makes this game so great it's adult fantasy world. It's cruel and beautiful, just like real world. There are dragons, elves and they get along well with slavic mythic creatures.
    Second, it's game plot and
    Second, it's game plot and dialogs.And of course characters. They are interesting by themselves. Lutik(Dandelion), Zoltan,Iorveth,Roche they looks like real, with they own motivation and goals.
    And the last, but not least. The game is not black&white. Very often you must make decisions. And often you don't quite sure about them. Is it good or bad? Did you save people or doom them? Who is worse humans or mindless monsters?
    The truth is that you and only you can judge your actions. Game won't do it. No good & evil alignment. Make decisions. Face consequences.
    All these parts make the world in which I believe.
    The world, which story I am eager to hear.
    p.s. sorry for my poor english.
  75. Jul 2, 2013
    this game really deserves a 9.5 but it rounds up to a 10.
    cons: third act is short shops are overpriced
    this game really deserves a 9.5 but it rounds up to a 10.
    cons: third act is short shops are overpriced
    pros: only 2 cons, great graphics, amazing story and characters, geralt is likeable, great combat, good difficulty so you actually have to think in combat, flotsam is the best town in a video game ive seen, the inn in flotsam has lots to do, colorful world, choices have a huge effect, mod kit, side quests are great enough to be part of the main game and have branching choices, will be able to import save to witcher 3, geralt is so awsome he can smoke without opening his mouth, satisfying ending, enhanced edition is free if you own the non enhanced edition.
  76. Jul 26, 2013
    "The Witcher 2" is an absolute masterpiece.
    Fighting here is difficult, various quests, and the world as a whole looks alive. The decisions taken really influence the story, which leads to a huge number of endings (17!). My opinion, "Role Play of the Year".
  77. Nov 3, 2015
    This game has a lot going for it: excellent writing, cinematic set pieces, well-crafted and absorbing game world, and of course I'm a big fan of the novels. Unfortunately, it fails miserably at "fun" and takes a hard right at frustrating boulevard. The controls in combat are highly unresponsive, with Geralt standing there like a **** while you're slamming the dodge keys, or worse yet,This game has a lot going for it: excellent writing, cinematic set pieces, well-crafted and absorbing game world, and of course I'm a big fan of the novels. Unfortunately, it fails miserably at "fun" and takes a hard right at frustrating boulevard. The controls in combat are highly unresponsive, with Geralt standing there like a **** while you're slamming the dodge keys, or worse yet, dodges in the opposite direction to which you pressed, heroically jumping into an enemy blade. He also often gets stuck on bits of scenery that are a good five feet away from him, and he does this annoying little pause after casting a spell as if to admire his handiwork. A lot of the mini-game mechanics are broken too; with sneaking you'll hear "we cut of the hands of thieves here" so often you'll shatter your teeth in frustration. It's a pity, because with just a little more work and balancing this could have been a truly excellent game. Expand
  78. Apr 6, 2015
    Meh.... I tired to finish Witcher 1 couldn't do it. So in an attempt to get psych'd for witcher 3 i bought witcher 2. I think i finished it in under 24 hours. the voice acting is underwhelming as well as the general story arc, and most of NPCs are boring and don't really add to much. The graphic and combat were good, but the map was god awful. i'm not sure what the redeeming qualities areMeh.... I tired to finish Witcher 1 couldn't do it. So in an attempt to get psych'd for witcher 3 i bought witcher 2. I think i finished it in under 24 hours. the voice acting is underwhelming as well as the general story arc, and most of NPCs are boring and don't really add to much. The graphic and combat were good, but the map was god awful. i'm not sure what the redeeming qualities are for this game, I'm glad it didn't buy it new, and Im going to have to wait for review on W3. in the mean time I guess it's back to the DA series for me. Expand
  79. Aug 4, 2011
    Great Game. The atmosphere is very very good. Minor points are the last chapter that is not on the same level as the first two and also the introduction: a little to difficult because there is not ennough help. Game of the year for now...
  80. May 18, 2011
    Can we at last put tot bed that games like Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Dragon Age are NOT real cRPG's! This game and it's predecessor, along with Skyrim later in the year, show that Bioware and others now release Action-Adventures and call them RPG's when they are not! Thank god for European publishers like CD Projekt, that still give us deep, mature PC cRPG's like the good old days!
  81. May 18, 2011
    The only reason not to buy The Witcher 2 is 1) You´re a console fanboy (Idiot)
    2) Have a Low-spec PC
    Otherwise this is a must-play. Visuals are amazing, combat is challenging and the Insane difficulty is a cool add-on.
  82. May 19, 2011
    Saying that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an insulting understatement. The story has a lot of branching paths. Three or four playthroughs will not be enough. Combat is kind of hard to understand to begin with. But once you get the past the hurdle, it will feel like that you have mastered something important. Graphics wise, the game just looks great. It might be DX9, but it's good.Saying that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an insulting understatement. The story has a lot of branching paths. Three or four playthroughs will not be enough. Combat is kind of hard to understand to begin with. But once you get the past the hurdle, it will feel like that you have mastered something important. Graphics wise, the game just looks great. It might be DX9, but it's good. The only downside is that you need a monster machine to run it at full settings. Single GPU cards just can't handle it. Or maybe there is something wrong with the coding of the game. I hope that CDPR will fix that with patches.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of KIngs can be compared to -- dare I say it -- Baldur's Gate 2: SOA. It is simply epic. Thank you CD Projekt RED for developing a PC game that the PC gaming community really deserved. It feels good to be remembered as a gamer.
  83. Jun 7, 2011
    Great RPG, not as much freedom of customization or discovery as in fallout series or first dragon age, but decent combat system, beautiful graphics, great plot, and simply put one of the best RPGs to come out this year so far.
  84. May 18, 2011
    I'm only giving this game a 10 to balance out all the trolls who try to impersonate "Bioware employees" and attempt to make the company look bad. Though I don't think the Witcher 2 is quite exactly deserving of a perfect score, it comes quite close. The new graphics engine, cinematic presentation, varied full-fleshed out gameplay, and dynamic story make the game one of the best RPG I'veI'm only giving this game a 10 to balance out all the trolls who try to impersonate "Bioware employees" and attempt to make the company look bad. Though I don't think the Witcher 2 is quite exactly deserving of a perfect score, it comes quite close. The new graphics engine, cinematic presentation, varied full-fleshed out gameplay, and dynamic story make the game one of the best RPG I've played in recent years. It's not only a big improvement from its predecessor, but also a game that pushes the frontiers and expectations of modern RPGs.
    However it does have a couple of minor flaws. First of all, the game can be quite difficult, even on the easiest levels. It challenges you play tactically and figure out how to take each enemy down without getting yourself killed, but sometimes you may be killed on multiple instances before you finally pass a combat sequence. Also, the introduction doesn't give much of a tutorial, so beginners may find the game initially a bit confusing. All in all though, the Witcher 2 is a superb game that pushes the genre in its own way.
  85. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 : Assassins of Kings is one of the best Action role - playing game ever made by human being. Ladies and gentlemen, here is a candidate for a game of the year.
  86. May 21, 2011
    This is the RPG I've been waiting for since Oblivion. Non-Linear with exceptional writing and voice acting, TW2 is a seminal achievement that won't hold your hand and will challenge you consistently. The attention to detail here is amazing, from Geralt scratching his head while talking to NPCs, to crows suddenly scattering as you walk by. I won't rehash what so many others have alreadyThis is the RPG I've been waiting for since Oblivion. Non-Linear with exceptional writing and voice acting, TW2 is a seminal achievement that won't hold your hand and will challenge you consistently. The attention to detail here is amazing, from Geralt scratching his head while talking to NPCs, to crows suddenly scattering as you walk by. I won't rehash what so many others have already covered, so just do yourself a favor and buy this release from CDProjekt. Cheers! Expand
  87. May 17, 2011
    CD Projekt RED: Assassins of Kings (Bethesda & BioWare)? Well... YES. This game has couple of bugs, but as a whole product is just one of the best games, I've ever seen. Long live the King! No need to say more. Instead I will just play more...
  88. May 18, 2011
    Good graphics, decent story line and most importantly, the game is generally IMPROVED over the last Witcher with more activitys to be involved with in the game. I was also happy how they improved the games load time and diffaculties. It could be harder but meh. I would give this game a 8.5/10 but seeing many DA2 fanboys created account after account to give DA2 a 10 and 0 for TW2 out ofGood graphics, decent story line and most importantly, the game is generally IMPROVED over the last Witcher with more activitys to be involved with in the game. I was also happy how they improved the games load time and diffaculties. It could be harder but meh. I would give this game a 8.5/10 but seeing many DA2 fanboys created account after account to give DA2 a 10 and 0 for TW2 out of FEAR that they don't have a grasp on what a real RPG is and are generally pathetic people, I will give this game a 10 to help offset their emo retardness a little. Expand
  89. May 20, 2011
    This is absolutely the game to beat right now. All game devs should be setting their sights on The Witcher 2. I was breathless when Geralt walked out of the tent in the beginning of the game. The graphics are unbelievable on any setting but fortunately my system can play it on high (X4 965, crossfire 6850s, 8 GB ram). Ultra slows down the frames a lot but, it makes the game look almostThis is absolutely the game to beat right now. All game devs should be setting their sights on The Witcher 2. I was breathless when Geralt walked out of the tent in the beginning of the game. The graphics are unbelievable on any setting but fortunately my system can play it on high (X4 965, crossfire 6850s, 8 GB ram). Ultra slows down the frames a lot but, it makes the game look almost like a Pixar animation! Hopefully, AMD will put out the Witcher 2 crossfire application profiles soon so I can maybe play on ultra.

Combat is innovative and has a bit of a learning curve. Make good use of W,A,S,D double taps to dodge! Also use those signs to slow down & incapacitate your foes. Try to avoid being surrounded and use terrain or objects in game to your advantage. All in all this is a must buy and I have been telling all my gamer friends to get it. Witcher 2 has reset the bar for SPRPGs!
  90. May 17, 2011
    The perfect 10 might seem overmuch, but let me tell you why I choose such a high score. The game is made clearly for an audience that demanded RPGs from the company that made the Witcher 1. The gameplay actually gets a sparkling 9 from me. The last one point comes for the following reason:

CDPR didn't try to expand their audience, get the 'COD' crowd or cater to tastes of focus groups (Gays, Lesbians etc) to gain audience. They simply went ahead with a good game. They also released their game without DRM, a tough but a very satisfying stance. Now this is a rare attitude in a world of populism. This will not only bring them prestige amongst gamers who are typically assumed to be idiots by other developers, but also expand their customer base simply because they focus on making good games.
  91. May 17, 2011
    The best RPG I've played since Baldurs Gate 2, I can literally not even talk about the sheer quality of this game. Everything is so refined, so perfected.

They did a splendid job with everything in this game. GOTY This century.
  92. May 17, 2011
    Normally this is where I would write out a long review telling you about a videogame, however I am left speechless, this is one of the best sequels I have ever played.
    This game is amazing, from the combat, to the story, humor, and most of all the improved combat.

This is THE game of 2011.
    Witcher fans having something to be happy about, after 4 long years.
  93. May 17, 2011
    The people that have rated this game a zero are just idiots there is no way this game is a zero its a ten out of ten simply stunning and when the patches and might i add free DLC arrives it will be even better DA2 is nothing compared to this everything about the witcher screams quality from the graphics down to the game play this is how games should be made well done CD Project.
  94. May 21, 2011
    A breath of fresh air after the disaster of Dragon Age 2. Bioware should be ashamed at how poorly DA2 compares to this game. In all metrics Witcher 2 is superior. To say nothing of the aesthetics. Witcher 2 is a man amongst boys.
  95. May 22, 2011
    As a fan of the first Witcher game, I was very much looking forward to the Witcher 2. Unfortunately, the sequel is a huge letdown. It plays like a console port even though it is was (supposedly) designed for PC. Controls are clunky, inventory system is terrible, combat mechanics are just awful. The graphics are okay, but definitely not worth the hype they've been given. There is noAs a fan of the first Witcher game, I was very much looking forward to the Witcher 2. Unfortunately, the sequel is a huge letdown. It plays like a console port even though it is was (supposedly) designed for PC. Controls are clunky, inventory system is terrible, combat mechanics are just awful. The graphics are okay, but definitely not worth the hype they've been given. There is no tutorial system to speak of, so you're stumbling around for the first half an hour going "I have potions, but how do I drink them?" Oh, and you can't drink potions in combat any more. You have to meditate to drink potions. Considering how often Geralt gets ambushed and how often you head into combat against a new foe you aren't sure how to take out, that's a huge drawback and big mistake, I think. Witcher 2 also suffers from the same over-automation problem the Assassin's Creed series has -- e.g. I'm trying to fight some dude and suddenly Geralt's playing with the stupid torches or looting a sack instead of fighting. And the alchemy system -- [sigh] This was one of the things I loved about the first game. The intricacy of it. I had a whole set of hand written notes next to my computer containing alchemical recipes and the secondary properties of ingredients. The alchemy system in Witcher 2 has been significantly dumbed down, and while I may be in the minority, I find that very disappointing. Finally, while the whole collecting sexual conquest trading cards thing in the first game might be construed as misogynistic, the Witcher 2 takes it to a whole new level, giving us full-frontal female nudity that just plain unnecessary and distasteful. A word to the wise, game developers: gratuitous nudity does not make a game "mature" or "adult." In fact, it has the opposite effect. Expand
  96. Jun 5, 2011
    It took me a while to get into this game but I must admit I am loving it. I think part of the problem was I never played the original Witcher. The graphics are nice and it runs real smooth, even on my older machine which needs the settings turned to low.

Definately worth the money, it is pretty much what I have been looking for since being gutted by the worthless Dragon Age 2. The quests are interesting, there is so much depth with characters, items and the world. The work that went into this game is amazing.

Definately a RPG I will get many hours of fun from. I recommend. 9/10.
  97. Jul 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best RPG's i've ever played, in my opinion it's only beaten by some of the Bioware's games (Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon age: Origins,...) and maybe The Elder Scrolls. I only wish its length was a little bit longer... Expand
  98. May 18, 2011
    This might very well be the game of the year. Love the mature story line. The graphics and sound are great. I loved the first game and this one is better.
  99. May 18, 2012
    The best game I have ever played. And I have played A LOT of different games. Great story, combat, graphics. Simply everything. Worth playing multiple times.
  100. May 23, 2011
    Ah, what a game.

Ah, what a game.

It's a game you must invest some time into, especially if you do not play many RPGs, but it's more then worth it. I'll give you some advice right off the bat: It's pretty hard when you first start out, but don't let it put you off. Press J to bring up your journal and spend some time reading the basic tutorials and learning what each of the spells / powerups do. The game does not hold you hand but all the information you need is right there in your journal which updates as you go through the game. This threw me at first because like most I've gotten used to games baby stepping me through them, but it's worth the time invested.

The graphics look great, the game runs very nicely and has tons of tweaking options. The story is gripping even for those that didn't play much of the first Witcher. A game that's well worth buying at full price if you are even remotely interested in RPG's.
  101. May 18, 2011
    Wow. I actually said that out load when I started playing this game. I have the PC version and havnt yet tried the other console versions but I can easily say that the graphics are the best that I have ever seen. Blows Crysis, DAO(and 2) and even Metro 2033 out of the water. The "ubersample" settings are amazing and just make it even better, although be warned you need a bigtime rig. AsideWow. I actually said that out load when I started playing this game. I have the PC version and havnt yet tried the other console versions but I can easily say that the graphics are the best that I have ever seen. Blows Crysis, DAO(and 2) and even Metro 2033 out of the water. The "ubersample" settings are amazing and just make it even better, although be warned you need a bigtime rig. Aside from graphics the style of the game just drew me in. I was in that world, I was Geralt. I havnt beaten the game yet but the story is fantastic with some pretty amazing plot lines, characters and UNLIKE DA2 varied settings that make you believe. The interface was a bit clumsy at first but I have gotten used to it now and forging weapons, potions and adding upgrades seems easy now. This will win game of the year, unless the folks at Bethesda top it with Skyrim. Perhaps the people at EA(Bioware) can take a look at the Witcher 2 and understand how a gritty yet beautiful game is created. Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)