8.5

1. May 19, 2011
    Has a legit claim for the greatest RPG of this generation.
    Has a legit claim for the greatest RPG of this generation.
    This might be a strange comparison but The Witcher 2 reminds of Metal Gear Solid franchise. The immaculate attention to detail in almost every category, the story telling, the character and world design, the cinematics, the depth of gameplay, music and of course the graphics. Of course you can say Mass Effect 2 can almost fuflil everything I just mentioned, the difference is The Witcher 2 hasn't forgotten its root as a hardcore RPG and thats a blessing.
  2. May 19, 2011
    I was a huge fan of The first Witcher game to the point it made me buy the two novels that the game was based one. Considering this I was hoping the sequel would not be a let down and it wasn't! The graphics is stunning. The combat is a huge improvement compared to its predecessor. I enjoy the continuation of the story script where it's a darker world filled with consequences. Plus no DRM,I was a huge fan of The first Witcher game to the point it made me buy the two novels that the game was based one. Considering this I was hoping the sequel would not be a let down and it wasn't! The graphics is stunning. The combat is a huge improvement compared to its predecessor. I enjoy the continuation of the story script where it's a darker world filled with consequences. Plus no DRM, this is my new drug! This has to be RPG game of the year 2011. Expand
  3. May 20, 2011
    I am seriously annoyed with how many people have actually just made new accounts out of jealously for how great this game is. Sure it does have it's flaws, but they are so few and devalued, that it is next to zero effect on gameplay. Being that this engine was made specifically with PC's in mind and not a console port as some moronic reviewers have put it, it is going to be more difficultI am seriously annoyed with how many people have actually just made new accounts out of jealously for how great this game is. Sure it does have it's flaws, but they are so few and devalued, that it is next to zero effect on gameplay. Being that this engine was made specifically with PC's in mind and not a console port as some moronic reviewers have put it, it is going to be more difficult to optimize for everyone's machine. I myself can play the game on max settings with very few framerate hiccups, but I can understand the frustration. I don't have a review as of yet, but I will tell you so far this second trip to the world of the witcher has been worth the wait and definitely outweighs the hype. Expand
  4. May 23, 2011
    First off, I need to say that I only bought Witcher 2 out of curiosity and that I haven´t played the first part. I´ve played Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Gothic 3, Risen and STO over the last years (on harder difficulties) - so that´s more or less the foundation for any evaluation and comparison...

THE GOOD: The game has absolutely

THE GOOD:

The game has absolutely beautiful and stunning visuals that create an atmosphere in some places which is matched by few other games to date. At least it blew my mind a couple of times. Along with this, most of the level design ist absolutely first rate, too. Animations are generally very smooth, the voice acting (EN) is very good and "authentic" and the characters are mostly appealing. While I haven´t completed the story yet, I (not knowing The Witcher 1) must say that the characters show a certain unpredictability and duality. I´m not familiar with any kind of fantasy literature (except LOTR - which I read before the movies came out), so this whole plot thing may be significantly less predictable to me than to others... Up to now the game has proven to be very motivating - I really like exploring the small but gorgeous areas in forests, plains, towns etc. The hunt for new items is fun, too - as it should be in any good RPG. While you do not have a breathtaking amount of freedom in this game, it doesn´t create any strong sense of things recurring too often. All in all, this portion of the game(play) works absolutely fine with me.

The rest will have to be cut down in length due to the limited number of characters... It´s no less significant though!

THE BAD:

- The difficulty is already ridiculous on "normal" (thanks in no small part to the AI and controls)
    - Combat is mostly either frustrating or nothing but button mashing and rolling around on the ground (resembles Gothic 3); magic mostly sucks
    - Unrefined controls; you can´t jump and you can (and will) get stuck on every tiny little object (especially fun during combat)
    - More MMO-like AI behaviour (trigger zones for whole mobs etc.)
    - No real tutorial (read the manual!)
    - Poor inventory screen (remember Obllivion?)
    - Little character development & customization (it´s more like Dead Space than Oblivion for example)

THE UGLY:

- Lots of invisible level barriers (Geralt can´t jump because he´s too old for that)- this one sucks big time
    - Graphics glitches (NPCs popping up out of thin air, moonwalk-NPCs etc.)
    - Loading screens when entering/leaving buildings (not really a big one in this list)
    - Registration required to get all the quests and items in the game (really wtf?!)

CONCLUSION:

This game does have a lot of atmosphere and potential - both of which are ruined to a certain degree by really unnecessary flaws in game design and gameplay. It more or less works a s a whole, but at times the gameplay is simply infuriating or it has you sitting in front of the screen thinking "What were they thinking!?" Additionally, the character development in this game is quite limited. It works more like those shooter games that have implemented RPG-elements. Be aware of this before you buy the game. After this experience I´ll gladly be waiting for Skyrim...
    I may be nitpicking at times, but why should we just quietly accept all the bad ideas that game designers come up with?! After all, I payed 50â
  5. May 24, 2011
    Simply put, one of the best role playing games out there, if not the best. Excellent story that makes you want to keep playing to discover whats happening, very nice combat system that feels fluid (despite some glitches) and graphics that will blow you away. The game has actual choices that lead you up to different paths and change the way it plays on the last 2 chapters. Choices thatSimply put, one of the best role playing games out there, if not the best. Excellent story that makes you want to keep playing to discover whats happening, very nice combat system that feels fluid (despite some glitches) and graphics that will blow you away. The game has actual choices that lead you up to different paths and change the way it plays on the last 2 chapters. Choices that range from choosing how will you infiltrate a town, to picking what side you will aid in the war. A truly beautiful game which makes me even more anxious to see what this Polish studio will prepare for us in The Witcher 3. Some bugs may appear here and there but reviews that give it "0" are just not justified AT ALL. I can understand a 7-8 for someone that hasn't been able to start it and is angry but below that it's just pure hate. Expand
  6. May 26, 2011
    For me, the game is excellent! Beautiful, quite difficult and addictive.
    Some people here probably don't know how to read. Clearly it is written - from 18 years! Too difficult for you? Everything has to be easy and friendly as for preschoolers?
    Well, kids, TW2 is not for you. Wait a few years.
    My real rating is 9.8.
  7. May 31, 2011
    Great RPG with challenging combat, a deep broody protagonist and a cast of memorable side kicks. I have played through the game twice - hit both main story lines and I'm back for a third. At first I found the combat punishingly difficult (i'm mostly a console gamer - so that might also play into it) but once you get the timeing and nuances of spells, bombs, traps and dodging down itGreat RPG with challenging combat, a deep broody protagonist and a cast of memorable side kicks. I have played through the game twice - hit both main story lines and I'm back for a third. At first I found the combat punishingly difficult (i'm mostly a console gamer - so that might also play into it) but once you get the timeing and nuances of spells, bombs, traps and dodging down it becomes challenging but not frustrating. It is a game that rewards experimentation with the combat as well as with the role playing options. It is really nice to find an RPG that doesn't have a dumbed down combat system. We can handle moral dilema's and blade (or two) at the same time. My only gripe is that the previews made it seem like a much bigger more open world than it really is. I was hoping for maps at least as open as the original Witcher what I got was less open than that but more open then say Dragon II. As that expectation was raised I was initially somewhat disappointed to find the areas to be explored rather limited. As with the original expect a good deal of profanity, pretty close to full frontal female nudity, and moderately graphic simulated sex. Expand
  8. Jun 4, 2011
    The job CDP have done here is simply stunning. The game runs at about 30 fps at 1080p on my rather outdated Radeon 4850 and the quality of its art and visuals make me think of Blizzard games. Impressive job, given the fact that these Polish guys probably don't have the resources of major Western studios.
    Just walk through the forest near Flotsam at night to understand what I mean.
    I'm
    Just walk through the forest near Flotsam at night to understand what I mean.

I'm mostly staying away from Quen during this runthough; the fights require a bit of research - collecting books about the enemies, preparing blade coatings and potions for the witcher, while the story is top-notch and very much in the spirit of Sapkowski's "Blood of the Elves" and "The Last Wish".

Definitely recommended if you want a game with an engaging story, in a stylish package - finally something to put your 2010 computer to work in a non-gratuitous manner.
  9. Jun 6, 2011
    Well, this game is the best fantasy crpg I've played since, I don't know, possibly even Baldur's Gate. Every single aspect of the game is well thought out, you can almost feel the game developers' love which they poured into their creation. Memorable characters and monsters, amazing story, best graphics I've seen (I don't even think this is an exaggeration), rewarding and dynamic combatWell, this game is the best fantasy crpg I've played since, I don't know, possibly even Baldur's Gate. Every single aspect of the game is well thought out, you can almost feel the game developers' love which they poured into their creation. Memorable characters and monsters, amazing story, best graphics I've seen (I don't even think this is an exaggeration), rewarding and dynamic combat system, nice music and voicework. And most of all - loads of fun, games are supposed to be fun and this one is overflowing with fun. I really have to think hard of things I would improve - maybe some menus that are hard to get used to, that's it I guess. I would recommend it to anyone who is mature enough to appreciate what the game brings. And none other crpg brings more. Expand
  10. Aug 20, 2011
    Very good game a good story. if a little short however the combat is very good and very challenging though the controls could be tightened up a bit as they can seem a bit unresponsive. Vastly superior to other rpg's out there such as Dragon Age which seems to have stolen its combat system from Runescape.
  11. Sep 3, 2011
    I saw some stupid reviews here that gives the game 1. Those guys could not even cognize a new game with all of their new rules if not from Bio'sla'ver. 1. Attack strategy of Geralt: killing lots of opponents at the same time is like hitting critital. When you hit a critical, you change the course of the fight? You can improve this chance even from the warrior talent tree.. 2. MonsterI saw some stupid reviews here that gives the game 1. Those guys could not even cognize a new game with all of their new rules if not from Bio'sla'ver. 1. Attack strategy of Geralt: killing lots of opponents at the same time is like hitting critital. When you hit a critical, you change the course of the fight? You can improve this chance even from the warrior talent tree.. 2. Monster strategy, endrega queen: No, we want to use our brain in the game to defeat monsters, why we play a game anyway? Shouldn't be different from a zero-interactive-movie? 3.Random quest givers: Why on earth this brilliant feature could be a negative effect? 4. Random quest order: Why on earth this brilliant feature seems like a negative effect for a game on your brains? This game is an epic and releases us from the stupid Bio'sla'ver even-under-six-age-can-end-it games. Expand
  12. Sep 8, 2011
    Simply put, if you enjoyed the first game or are a fan of any RPG this one is by far the best you can find. Despite being a pirate I would happily fork out £40-50 for such a beautifully realised world like that in TW2. GOTY? Quite possibly...
  13. Oct 11, 2011
    So far my favorite game of 2011, Briliant graphics in a very credible game world. Best feature: the choices you make really do CHANGE the game. Briliant replayability and a long single player campaign. WARNING... Do not buy for your kids... this is a game for adults only.
  14. Nov 1, 2011
    CD Projekt Red has GOTY 2011 in the pocket. There's signs of developer blindness (until the mega 2.0 redux patch the difficulty curve was very steep unless you browsed for some helpful tutorials online) and some of the features either somewhat strange or simply badly documented but those are minor setbacks as Witcher 2 is a technological and artistic masterpiece and shows (for most of) theCD Projekt Red has GOTY 2011 in the pocket. There's signs of developer blindness (until the mega 2.0 redux patch the difficulty curve was very steep unless you browsed for some helpful tutorials online) and some of the features either somewhat strange or simply badly documented but those are minor setbacks as Witcher 2 is a technological and artistic masterpiece and shows (for most of) the game industry how you create a game that will be remembered as a classic while taking care of your fans and customers. Expand
  15. Apr 10, 2012
    The enchanced edition game (2.0) is really great. The Arena mode gives you the opportunity to practice fighing skills (and fighting is really dificult). The story is intriguing... Great and complex game !
  16. Mar 1, 2013
    Best story in an rpg that I've experienced in a looooong time. Combat is harder than other games but there are too many combat friendly rpgs nowadays. I like the challenge and feeling like a mortal, not being god like.
  17. Dec 22, 2011
    Great game with a fan-base passionate & dedicated enough to stamp every negative review with dislike. The game is excellent, but negative reviews are being unfairly reported.
  18. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is a 10/10. The story is immersive, the graphics beautiful, the game play and combat system very cool and skill-based. I tried to complete as many quests as possible and leveled fairly high and yet I never felt that the enemies were too easy to kill, so they scale well with you. The extra content post-release shows how much this company cares about the games they create. The newThis game is a 10/10. The story is immersive, the graphics beautiful, the game play and combat system very cool and skill-based. I tried to complete as many quests as possible and leveled fairly high and yet I never felt that the enemies were too easy to kill, so they scale well with you. The extra content post-release shows how much this company cares about the games they create. The new 10 GB content pack released a few days ago proves that. Incredible. Well worth the money spent. Expand
  19. Nov 1, 2012
    This is truly the best game I have ever played. I shouldn't have to say much for you to understand what I mean, really just read the other reviews. I love this game! Amazing story, characters, world + lore, graphics and more!
  20. Jul 5, 2014
    This game was incredibly captivating that I had to close it and immediately obtain Witcher 1 and study the witcher lore before I dared approach it.

Then, when I did, I enjoyed every minute of it. Gameplay and dialogues, the darkness of the world, the books and the mysteries involved. This game sets precedent for the future of this genre.
  21. Jul 2, 2013
    this game really deserves a 9.5 but it rounds up to a 10.
    cons: third act is short shops are overpriced
    this game really deserves a 9.5 but it rounds up to a 10.
    cons: third act is short shops are overpriced
    pros: only 2 cons, great graphics, amazing story and characters, geralt is likeable, great combat, good difficulty so you actually have to think in combat, flotsam is the best town in a video game ive seen, the inn in flotsam has lots to do, colorful world, choices have a huge effect, mod kit, side quests are great enough to be part of the main game and have branching choices, will be able to import save to witcher 3, geralt is so awsome he can smoke without opening his mouth, satisfying ending, enhanced edition is free if you own the non enhanced edition.
  22. Dec 20, 2013
    This game can be difficult to start out on, however it's in depth gameplay, character development and rich storytelling make it my favorite RPG. It is a traditional RPG that takes the traditional style and does it very well. Let me repeat the story is amazing, and will have you waiting for the 3rd installment destined for the new gen consoles. If you stick to this game, filled with greatThis game can be difficult to start out on, however it's in depth gameplay, character development and rich storytelling make it my favorite RPG. It is a traditional RPG that takes the traditional style and does it very well. Let me repeat the story is amazing, and will have you waiting for the 3rd installment destined for the new gen consoles. If you stick to this game, filled with great combat, great writing and a unique and mysterious protagonist you will come to love it. It's an exemplum of what an RPG should be. Expand
  23. Aug 4, 2011
    Great Game. The atmosphere is very very good. Minor points are the last chapter that is not on the same level as the first two and also the introduction: a little to difficult because there is not ennough help. Game of the year for now...
  24. May 18, 2011
    Can we at last put tot bed that games like Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Dragon Age are NOT real cRPG's! This game and it's predecessor, along with Skyrim later in the year, show that Bioware and others now release Action-Adventures and call them RPG's when they are not! Thank god for European publishers like CD Projekt, that still give us deep, mature PC cRPG's like the good old days!
  25. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPG I've ever played! It is a game with incredible historical depth, with rich graphics, and a nonlinear story. If you like RPG for adults, meaning that you do not feel that you are taken for idiots, and if you like mature story, then this game is for you. It is beautiful in every sense of the term.
  26. May 18, 2011
    The only reason not to buy The Witcher 2 is 1) You´re a console fanboy (Idiot)
    2) Have a Low-spec PC
    Otherwise this is a must-play. Visuals are amazing, combat is challenging and the Insane difficulty is a cool add-on.
  27. May 21, 2011
    Almost completely flawless; a work of art and an RPG masterpiece. My only qualm is with the new clunky and overly simplified inventory/journal/quest/codex screen.
  28. May 19, 2011
    Saying that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an insulting understatement. The story has a lot of branching paths. Three or four playthroughs will not be enough. Combat is kind of hard to understand to begin with. But once you get the past the hurdle, it will feel like that you have mastered something important. Graphics wise, the game just looks great. It might be DX9, but it's good.Saying that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an insulting understatement. The story has a lot of branching paths. Three or four playthroughs will not be enough. Combat is kind of hard to understand to begin with. But once you get the past the hurdle, it will feel like that you have mastered something important. Graphics wise, the game just looks great. It might be DX9, but it's good. The only downside is that you need a monster machine to run it at full settings. Single GPU cards just can't handle it. Or maybe there is something wrong with the coding of the game. I hope that CDPR will fix that with patches.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of KIngs can be compared to -- dare I say it -- Baldur's Gate 2: SOA. It is simply epic. Thank you CD Projekt RED for developing a PC game that the PC gaming community really deserved. It feels good to be remembered as a gamer.
  29. Jun 7, 2011
    Great RPG, not as much freedom of customization or discovery as in fallout series or first dragon age, but decent combat system, beautiful graphics, great plot, and simply put one of the best RPGs to come out this year so far.
  30. May 18, 2011
    I'm only giving this game a 10 to balance out all the trolls who try to impersonate "Bioware employees" and attempt to make the company look bad. Though I don't think the Witcher 2 is quite exactly deserving of a perfect score, it comes quite close. The new graphics engine, cinematic presentation, varied full-fleshed out gameplay, and dynamic story make the game one of the best RPG I'veI'm only giving this game a 10 to balance out all the trolls who try to impersonate "Bioware employees" and attempt to make the company look bad. Though I don't think the Witcher 2 is quite exactly deserving of a perfect score, it comes quite close. The new graphics engine, cinematic presentation, varied full-fleshed out gameplay, and dynamic story make the game one of the best RPG I've played in recent years. It's not only a big improvement from its predecessor, but also a game that pushes the frontiers and expectations of modern RPGs.
    However it does have a couple of minor flaws. First of all, the game can be quite difficult, even on the easiest levels. It challenges you play tactically and figure out how to take each enemy down without getting yourself killed, but sometimes you may be killed on multiple instances before you finally pass a combat sequence. Also, the introduction doesn't give much of a tutorial, so beginners may find the game initially a bit confusing. All in all though, the Witcher 2 is a superb game that pushes the genre in its own way.
  31. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 : Assassins of Kings is one of the best Action role - playing game ever made by human being. Ladies and gentlemen, here is a candidate for a game of the year.
  32. May 18, 2011
    Been playing for approximately 10 hours, game has been absolutely excellent so far. The graphics (especially the environments) are beautiful. The story deals with mature and morally ambiguous themes, with multiple endings and game path. The presentation is a really interesting take on non-linear gameplay. I'm not sure I'd call it non-linear so much as a collection of linear story arcsBeen playing for approximately 10 hours, game has been absolutely excellent so far. The graphics (especially the environments) are beautiful. The story deals with mature and morally ambiguous themes, with multiple endings and game path. The presentation is a really interesting take on non-linear gameplay. I'm not sure I'd call it non-linear so much as a collection of linear story arcs which can be played in any order. It's a smart way to accomplish non-linearity, as it's makes for a strong narrative while still giving the player the freedom to play as they see fit. Those who played the first Witcher will be glad to know the combat system has been completely revamped. The combo system is gone, and in its place, a true real-time combat system. Because of this, spells are integrated more seamlessly than in the previous, and you'll likely be using a combination of sword play, spells, and bombs on the fly in most engagements.

I haven't had too many issues with instability like others have reported and I'm running the steam version. All and all, an excellent action rpg for an age group of 18+ with a more refined gaming palate. If you like RPG's, definitely buy this game.
  33. May 21, 2011
    This is the RPG I've been waiting for since Oblivion. Non-Linear with exceptional writing and voice acting, TW2 is a seminal achievement that won't hold your hand and will challenge you consistently. The attention to detail here is amazing, from Geralt scratching his head while talking to NPCs, to crows suddenly scattering as you walk by. I won't rehash what so many others have alreadyThis is the RPG I've been waiting for since Oblivion. Non-Linear with exceptional writing and voice acting, TW2 is a seminal achievement that won't hold your hand and will challenge you consistently. The attention to detail here is amazing, from Geralt scratching his head while talking to NPCs, to crows suddenly scattering as you walk by. I won't rehash what so many others have already covered, so just do yourself a favor and buy this release from CDProjekt. Cheers! Expand
  34. May 17, 2011
    CD Projekt RED: Assassins of Kings (Bethesda & BioWare)? Well... YES. This game has couple of bugs, but as a whole product is just one of the best games, I've ever seen. Long live the King! No need to say more. Instead I will just play more...
  35. May 18, 2011
    Good graphics, decent story line and most importantly, the game is generally IMPROVED over the last Witcher with more activitys to be involved with in the game. I was also happy how they improved the games load time and diffaculties. It could be harder but meh. I would give this game a 8.5/10 but seeing many DA2 fanboys created account after account to give DA2 a 10 and 0 for TW2 out ofGood graphics, decent story line and most importantly, the game is generally IMPROVED over the last Witcher with more activitys to be involved with in the game. I was also happy how they improved the games load time and diffaculties. It could be harder but meh. I would give this game a 8.5/10 but seeing many DA2 fanboys created account after account to give DA2 a 10 and 0 for TW2 out of FEAR that they don't have a grasp on what a real RPG is and are generally pathetic people, I will give this game a 10 to help offset their emo retardness a little. Expand
  36. May 17, 2011
    The perfect 10 might seem overmuch, but let me tell you why I choose such a high score. The game is made clearly for an audience that demanded RPGs from the company that made the Witcher 1. The gameplay actually gets a sparkling 9 from me. The last one point comes for the following reason:

CDPR didn't try to expand their audience, get the 'COD' crowd or cater to tastes of focus groups (Gays, Lesbians etc) to gain audience. They simply went ahead with a good game. They also released their game without DRM, a tough but a very satisfying stance. Now this is a rare attitude in a world of populism. This will not only bring them prestige amongst gamers who are typically assumed to be idiots by other developers, but also expand their customer base simply because they focus on making good games.
  37. May 17, 2011
    The best RPG I've played since Baldurs Gate 2, I can literally not even talk about the sheer quality of this game. Everything is so refined, so perfected.

They did a splendid job with everything in this game. GOTY This century.
  38. May 17, 2011
    Normally this is where I would write out a long review telling you about a videogame, however I am left speechless, this is one of the best sequels I have ever played.
    This game is amazing, from the combat, to the story, humor, and most of all the improved combat.

This is THE game of 2011.
    Witcher fans having something to be happy about, after 4 long years.
  39. Jun 2, 2011
    The first game in years to make my PC beg for mercy is also one of the finest examples of action Role Playing ever created. From the very start, The Witcher 2 just oozes atmosphere and finally brings back the true RPG experience from yesteryear. Yes, it can be challenging though not on simple 1 dimensional level , challenge comes in many forms not just from combat, you also are submittedThe first game in years to make my PC beg for mercy is also one of the finest examples of action Role Playing ever created. From the very start, The Witcher 2 just oozes atmosphere and finally brings back the true RPG experience from yesteryear. Yes, it can be challenging though not on simple 1 dimensional level , challenge comes in many forms not just from combat, you also are submitted to difficult choices and then experience the aftermath of your actions.

Don't expect any hand Holding - This is not an interactive movie disguised as an RPG.

Ever notice why some of these low ranking reviews only contain press release screenshots? Me too.....

40. May 17, 2011
    The people that have rated this game a zero are just idiots there is no way this game is a zero its a ten out of ten simply stunning and when the patches and might i add free DLC arrives it will be even better DA2 is nothing compared to this everything about the witcher screams quality from the graphics down to the game play this is how games should be made well done CD Project.
  41. May 21, 2011
    A breath of fresh air after the disaster of Dragon Age 2. Bioware should be ashamed at how poorly DA2 compares to this game. In all metrics Witcher 2 is superior. To say nothing of the aesthetics. Witcher 2 is a man amongst boys.
  42. May 22, 2011
    As a fan of the first Witcher game, I was very much looking forward to the Witcher 2. Unfortunately, the sequel is a huge letdown. It plays like a console port even though it is was (supposedly) designed for PC. Controls are clunky, inventory system is terrible, combat mechanics are just awful. The graphics are okay, but definitely not worth the hype they've been given. There is noAs a fan of the first Witcher game, I was very much looking forward to the Witcher 2. Unfortunately, the sequel is a huge letdown. It plays like a console port even though it is was (supposedly) designed for PC. Controls are clunky, inventory system is terrible, combat mechanics are just awful. The graphics are okay, but definitely not worth the hype they've been given. There is no tutorial system to speak of, so you're stumbling around for the first half an hour going "I have potions, but how do I drink them?" Oh, and you can't drink potions in combat any more. You have to meditate to drink potions. Considering how often Geralt gets ambushed and how often you head into combat against a new foe you aren't sure how to take out, that's a huge drawback and big mistake, I think. Witcher 2 also suffers from the same over-automation problem the Assassin's Creed series has -- e.g. I'm trying to fight some dude and suddenly Geralt's playing with the stupid torches or looting a sack instead of fighting. And the alchemy system -- [sigh] This was one of the things I loved about the first game. The intricacy of it. I had a whole set of hand written notes next to my computer containing alchemical recipes and the secondary properties of ingredients. The alchemy system in Witcher 2 has been significantly dumbed down, and while I may be in the minority, I find that very disappointing. Finally, while the whole collecting sexual conquest trading cards thing in the first game might be construed as misogynistic, the Witcher 2 takes it to a whole new level, giving us full-frontal female nudity that just plain unnecessary and distasteful. A word to the wise, game developers: gratuitous nudity does not make a game "mature" or "adult." In fact, it has the opposite effect. Expand
  43. Jun 5, 2011
    It took me a while to get into this game but I must admit I am loving it. I think part of the problem was I never played the original Witcher. The graphics are nice and it runs real smooth, even on my older machine which needs the settings turned to low.

Definately worth the money, it is pretty much what I have been looking for since being gutted by the worthless Dragon Age 2. The quests are interesting, there is so much depth with characters, items and the world. The work that went into this game is amazing.

Definately a RPG I will get many hours of fun from. I recommend. 9/10.
  44. Jul 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best RPG's i've ever played, in my opinion it's only beaten by some of the Bioware's games (Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon age: Origins,...) and maybe The Elder Scrolls. I only wish its length was a little bit longer... Expand
  45. May 18, 2011
    This might very well be the game of the year. Love the mature story line. The graphics and sound are great. I loved the first game and this one is better.
  46. May 18, 2012
    The best game I have ever played. And I have played A LOT of different games. Great story, combat, graphics. Simply everything. Worth playing multiple times.
  47. May 23, 2011
    Ah, what a game.

Ah, what a game.

It's a game you must invest some time into, especially if you do not play many RPGs, but it's more then worth it. I'll give you some advice right off the bat: It's pretty hard when you first start out, but don't let it put you off. Press J to bring up your journal and spend some time reading the basic tutorials and learning what each of the spells / powerups do. The game does not hold you hand but all the information you need is right there in your journal which updates as you go through the game. This threw me at first because like most I've gotten used to games baby stepping me through them, but it's worth the time invested.

The graphics look great, the game runs very nicely and has tons of tweaking options. The story is gripping even for those that didn't play much of the first Witcher. A game that's well worth buying at full price if you are even remotely interested in RPG's.
  48. May 18, 2011
    Witcher 2 is probabyl the best RPG for any newcomer to this genre for being a game that challenges you as an adult. As an action/adventure player, my first foray into RPGs has been the mass effect series which I liked. I did play the witcher 1 but quickly got overrun by the excruciating details and frankly uninteresting standard stat based RPG combat. Same to do with mass effect 1. ME2 gotWitcher 2 is probabyl the best RPG for any newcomer to this genre for being a game that challenges you as an adult. As an action/adventure player, my first foray into RPGs has been the mass effect series which I liked. I did play the witcher 1 but quickly got overrun by the excruciating details and frankly uninteresting standard stat based RPG combat. Same to do with mass effect 1. ME2 got it right with nice action elements. With that, I went into DA2 without prior playing of DA1. But DA2 felt very tedious and just got boring. I finished the game, but wasn't too satisfied with the presentation and mechanics. It felt like a standard RPG. Witcher 2 on the other hand is unique. Never have I been challenged soo much in combat being a veteran action/adventure gamer (DMC3/4, GOW123, Darksiders..player). The combat is intense...satisfying. The graphics are if I may say, the BEST in this generation. The art direction is fantastic and the game reeks of polish.
    CDProject have outdone themselves and set a new bar for action RPGs. I only hope that the game reaches its full potential and rewards them with adequate sales and recognition. Congratulations CDprojekt for a spectacular masterpiece.

BTW...shame on you bioware for bashing CDprojekt.
  49. May 17, 2011
    This game is great, I was looking forward to great RPGs this year and 2/3 times I got very disappointing (DA2 sucking, ME3 being delayed to 2012 probably) but wow was in a treat for the 3rd one... very very happy with this game so far the only thing that I sorhta had an issue with was the DX9 only engine but it looks very nice regardless. This game has all the true PC RPG elements at itsThis game is great, I was looking forward to great RPGs this year and 2/3 times I got very disappointing (DA2 sucking, ME3 being delayed to 2012 probably) but wow was in a treat for the 3rd one... very very happy with this game so far the only thing that I sorhta had an issue with was the DX9 only engine but it looks very nice regardless. This game has all the true PC RPG elements at its core (unlike other RPG games that have come out recently) and I think other developers should learn a thing or two from these guys *wink* *wink* bioware.

10/10 in my book.
  50. May 17, 2011
    A refreshingly complex and deeply engaging RPG that blows its recent competition clean out of the water. Proves that beautiful visuals and ambitious scope in no way preclude depth of content, attention to detail or complex storytelling in an RPG.

It's not without its flaws, but they're very minor flaws in what is in all other ways a masterful example of the best the genre has to offer. Superb.
  51. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is without a doubt one of the greatest RPGs of this generation, if not downright THE greatest. It has an absolutely phenomenal combat system that trumps just about every RPG to come out this generation due to the fact that there is a strong emphasis on tactics while not sacrificing any of the tense, exciting action that the combat delivers. The world is one of the most livelyThe Witcher 2 is without a doubt one of the greatest RPGs of this generation, if not downright THE greatest. It has an absolutely phenomenal combat system that trumps just about every RPG to come out this generation due to the fact that there is a strong emphasis on tactics while not sacrificing any of the tense, exciting action that the combat delivers. The world is one of the most lively video game worlds that has ever been created. Not only is the game universe so rich in detail, but CDP went to extremes with its attention to the smallest details. For instance, blowing out a camp fire that a group where huddled around would result in them trying to light it back up. All AI units have a schedule and feel like individual people. In the end, I don't think there is a single criticism one can have of the game world. Lets just say there are very few RPG's in which I have done as many side quests as in Witcher 2. It is THAT good. The RPG mechanics in the witcher are great, with 3 specialized talent trees and 1 general "witcher" tree. Combat depends on Geralt's stats and not only on his ninja gaiden skills, so it never really descends into a action adventure game like Bioware's Mass Effect series. All the variety in weapons expected from a good RPG is here: throwing weapons, bombs, magic spells and of course your usual melee weapons like swords, axes, clubs, etc. Not only that, but the game has an absolutely amazing alchemy and crafting system in which the quests make strong use of (making specific poison/bomb for mission) and you would also need to use them in order to survive some of the tougher fights. NOTHING is left to feel as though its just in there for the sake of it. Even the BOOKS have use as when you go monster hunting, you gotta look up the creatures you want to kill and research about them in the books to be able to get more details about their lairs, behaviors, etc. The story is non-linear and epic. For those who don't know, it has 16 varied endings depending on the choices made throughout the game. That alone makes the Witcher 2 have one of the deepest storylines offered this generation. The story kicks off with a bang and with the aid of the game world, remains constantly immersive. The plot always has some new revelation to throw at you every step of the way and the excellent characters and voice acting give further life to the story. The Witcher 2 has an epic tale that none should miss.

In conclusion, if you are a PC gamer and don't own Witcher 2, shame on you.
  52. May 17, 2011
    I registered just to tell the world what a massive enjoyment this game is. Absolute, total 10 for one of the best RPGs since Planescape. It looks awesome, it sounds awesome and, damn, it plays awesome and tells you an awesome story!
  53. May 17, 2011
    Poor form BioWare employees, poor form. Giving this game a 0, and your own game a 10? When you're a developer, you lose the ability to review, because it will always be biased.
  54. May 24, 2011
    Oh boy...Console fanboys have come out in droves to champion their flagship RPG. It's just a shame it's as good as they want you to believe. Just head over to the official forums and read the praise. It's astounding a game hyped this much could ship in such terrific shape. Pretty good when developers start talking patches the day the game ships. Technicals issues are minimal, this gameOh boy...Console fanboys have come out in droves to champion their flagship RPG. It's just a shame it's as good as they want you to believe. Just head over to the official forums and read the praise. It's astounding a game hyped this much could ship in such terrific shape. Pretty good when developers start talking patches the day the game ships. Technicals issues are minimal, this game beyond belief. The UI is Cumbersome. The combat feels more like brutally . It's a game the developers must have felt the need to make it PC like and in doing so they made it superior to consoles. It also mature for all the right reasons. If you want a great example of maturity look no further than The Witcher 2. I really like The Witcher 2...I really did.. Its clear the developers put in a ton of work creating this game. It is ashamed the the game is currently the number one download on just about every torrent website. The developers know consoles fanboys are ingrates with no life, no job, and no romance(NERD), consoles. Then they can actually generate some revenue seeing as how consoles fanboys merely ask thier mommy for everything :) Expand
  55. May 18, 2011
    Oh man there are a lot of butt hurt Bioware DA2 fans I see. Perhaps some of these zero's and one's are from bioware employees? Like those perfect 10's they gave their own game. I've played over 10 hours so far, and it is.. awe-, er, amazingly epic! (can't use awesome, as it means now DA2's awesome button, which means it sucks) Its sucked me to my chair for a solid six hours straight. VeryOh man there are a lot of butt hurt Bioware DA2 fans I see. Perhaps some of these zero's and one's are from bioware employees? Like those perfect 10's they gave their own game. I've played over 10 hours so far, and it is.. awe-, er, amazingly epic! (can't use awesome, as it means now DA2's awesome button, which means it sucks) Its sucked me to my chair for a solid six hours straight. Very good voice acting, the story is wonderful, and I love the combat. This is how to do quick reactive combat.

Bioware should learn from the masters of CDProjekt Red with their epic game The Witcher 2. (hah user "Bioware", I can do the same, only this time its true, unlike your review) on how to make an Action RPG, with deep characters, and unique combat, magic and customization.

The graphics and artwork are.. breathtaking.. one of the prettiest RPG games I have played to date. No game gets a perfect 10, there was a small thing with lip syncing, and the odd clipping issue. Besides that this game deserves a solid 9 / 10.
  56. May 18, 2011
    The new gold standard for RPG games, Witcher 2 is to the RPG genre as half life was to the FPS genre. The bar has just been set and the king throned.

Amazing graphics with cutting edge technology to push and punish the PC hardware that is rarely thought about by multiplatform games designed around consoles. An immersive dynamic world where time of day matters and isn't simply a gimmick

An immersive dynamic world where time of day matters and isn't simply a gimmick thrown in with reduced brightness. Cities are alive during the day with people doing what people would do instead of just standing around in place for hours like most other games. People interact with each other, go to work, and at night time hit up the pub and whore houses. Find yourself stumbling around in the dead of night down a dark alley and you'll probably run into bandits, drunks stumbling around, and increase monster presence in the wild.

Items, crafting, books, and more items; this game is rich with items. There are tons from different weapons such as halberds to junk items such as handcuffs. Crafting matters and you aren't limited to a single profession but rather you're able to use whatever you please. This means picking up herbs for potions and still being able to upgrade weapons even creating new armors. No restrictions allowing the player to enjoy and do what they please. If you enjoy item aspect of RPG games this game delivers 10 fold.

Engaging and skill based combat. Although Witcher 2 is more action oriented especially the combat that doesn't mean it's a simplistic bush masher where 50 clicks equates to a win. The combat is very tactical and requires timing to succeed. A lot of people find the combat to be difficult but once you've failed a couple of times and get the hang of its uniqueness it is very rewarding. Combat requires thought and planning so trying to play it like typical action based RPG's will result in failure. With 6 different magical abilities, 4 different skill trees, ranged weapons, items, and traps every battle is different and requires it's own solution.

Customization is very alive and well in Witcher 2. With 4 different progression trees that allow players drastically change what their character is an expert in every type of player can find their calling whether it's a something who relies heavily on magic abilities or a player whom decides creating strong potions to add in combat and the creating of powerful bombs the Witcher 2 has you covered. Although you can't customize your character's appearance via different hair, face options, or race the customization in this game via the skill trees and dialogue options like intimidate/influence is anything but frivolous and really adds to the game whereas different hair colors certainly doesn't. Story and re playability. Without spoiling anything and that's hard to do since there are so many choices that affect several other options, questions, and even the world you play in I'll just say it will require several entire play throughs to do it and see all Witcher 2 offers. Unlike other RPG games that pride themselves on "choice" and "consequences" which are clear cut good and bad scale the Witcher 2 is 500 shades of grey where whatever you choose it will probably end badly for someone. This is a dark mature low fantasy world where people are blunt and that rpg status quo doesn't apply. Forget the typical racial stereotypes and get ready for adult language and even nudity. CD Projekt Red decided to offer a truly unique experience for gamers tired of posh fancy elves, the knight in shining armor, and bad guys you couldn't ever relate to. I could never give a game a perfect 10 because there is always something the developer could have done better but in the case of Witcher 2 I'll give it a 10. I do this because of what the developer gives for the money. An actual game manual that is more than 3 pages of legal shenanigans, free game soundtrack, a game guide, and the option for your game to be entirely DRM free. It's the little things which are nonexistent now days for most developers unless you pay more but in the Witcher 2 you get standard which makes this game an excellent value. Did I mention FREE DLC and never having to pay for it? No release day paid DLC here folks. Enjoy your game you paid for it!
  57. May 22, 2011
    One of the best RPG i ve played since Gothic, Morrowind and Risen. Finally somebody showed those mainstream, brainwashed developers how good RPGs are made.

Thanks!
  58. May 19, 2011
    This is Baldur's Gate 3 - so much love and attention has been lavished on this game it aches. This game delivers in spades what RPG lovers look for. This is the new benchmark - CD Projekt are the new Black Isle - no question. GO AND BUY THIS GAME!!!!!!
  59. May 28, 2011
    beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeest game ever
  60. May 20, 2011
    Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, but this game is a true masterpiece. CDPR, you have absolutely awed me with the level of quality you have put into this title. I can't wait to see what the future holds for such an awesome corporation!
  61. May 21, 2011
    Thank you for this game. After seeing what happened to the Dragon Age franchise with the utter failure of DA2 I completely lost my love for RPGs and gaming in general. I was nervous that all companies would adopt the BioWare/EA business model of producing terrible games and relying on their marketing department to push their products. The first 30 minutes of The Witcher 2 changed all ofThank you for this game. After seeing what happened to the Dragon Age franchise with the utter failure of DA2 I completely lost my love for RPGs and gaming in general. I was nervous that all companies would adopt the BioWare/EA business model of producing terrible games and relying on their marketing department to push their products. The first 30 minutes of The Witcher 2 changed all of that. I'm the typical, "I want to choose my race/class/name when I play an RPG!" gamer but the Witcher 2's story is so engrossing that I feel more for The Witcher than I have in more customizable RPG games. Each decision TRULY impacts the story. Combat is challenging and requires serious forethought even on normal difficulty. Magic, alchemy, and traps MUST be used on higher difficulties. Its like Demon Souls meets an incredibly well written RPG for adults. This game feels and plays like a game designed for true RPG fans. Thank you so much. I'm going to play the hell out of this game! Expand
  62. May 21, 2011
    I am very disappointed with this game and I can't believe when people say that it could be the GOTY and one of the best RPGs out there. The game has insane performance issues. The game is very demanding on the graphics requirements, so I must run it on low settings and even with that the game sometimes bogs down horribly. Moreover, the camera and characters have horrible issues, especiallyI am very disappointed with this game and I can't believe when people say that it could be the GOTY and one of the best RPGs out there. The game has insane performance issues. The game is very demanding on the graphics requirements, so I must run it on low settings and even with that the game sometimes bogs down horribly. Moreover, the camera and characters have horrible issues, especially in cutscenes, where a character, for example, will finish speaking a line and then glitch into another position. Sometimes archers will shoot at you while facing a wall. Interacting with objects can be horribly annoying, especially since Geralt likes to keep moving for an excessive amount of time after you've released movement keys. The tutorial could be useful if it had been done properly, half the time I didn't even notice the tips; sometimes because they appeared after the event, sometimes because I was too busy fighting enemies to notice -no, the game doesn't pause for you to read. All of these can be considered as minor issues once you get to the core of the problem: The game is not an RPG, unless you consider FFXIII an RPG. Character growth is a joke, and combat is an even bigger joke. The game feels like a port even though it isn't. Fighting enemies requires absolutely no strategy, just smashing the left and right mouse buttons. There is also a very broken stealth system and before you end the initial sequence of the story, you find more holes in it than a cheese grater.
    I wanted to like this game, really. But when the characters are shallow and the gameplay is absolutely dreadful, well, wanting to like it just doesn't cut it. If you want a real RPG, go back to Bethesda or Bioware.
  63. May 21, 2011
    Good: fantastic graphics, storyline, tactics in combat, characters, sound, awesome monsters Bad:doors!, sometimes buggy, ubersampling makes GTX 580 cry, too short-want more Awesome: Better than all off Bioware's kiddy console ports =P
  64. May 22, 2011
    An absolute triumph in the art of RPG storytelling. By far the most compelling characters, boldest storytelling, and most enjoyable combat in any RPG designed to date. Look on and despair, Bioware, for the RPG of the Year won't be yours this time. While Atari has made a few blunders in the marketing of this superb game, that does not detract from CDProject's mastery of game design. I'm aAn absolute triumph in the art of RPG storytelling. By far the most compelling characters, boldest storytelling, and most enjoyable combat in any RPG designed to date. Look on and despair, Bioware, for the RPG of the Year won't be yours this time. While Atari has made a few blunders in the marketing of this superb game, that does not detract from CDProject's mastery of game design. I'm a long time fan of RPGs in general and CDProject in particular as a master of the genre, and this is certainly one of my favourites. If you enjoy good RPGs, mature stories that don't insult your intelligence, wonderfully human fleshed-out characters, and engaging combat, this is the baby for you. Expand
  65. Jun 4, 2011
    99.9 Amazing game it continue the absolutely magnificent story of the witcher 1 every choose you make in the game influence your ending and you will never know if what you did was the right thing after you beat the game a few time you will still have thing to discover weapon to find and quest to make probably the only real revelation of 2011 so far
  66. May 22, 2011
    This year is not over yet but for now this game is GOTY for me.As all mention it got amazing graphics , great story, this game is made with love and passion.Keep it up CDP
  67. May 22, 2011
    Has to be the best game made this year so far, Amazing story, Characters and graphics. plus none of the romance **** like other games seem to think are important.

you can tell the developers put alot of hard work in to this and it payed off :)
  68. May 23, 2011
    The game is gorgeous. It has always been my belief that for a good RPG, the game-play must be on top. The Witcher 2 proves that graphics - amazing graphics - can also be on top. The game looks incredible. Up until now I thought that Oblivion and Mass Effect was the top - not anymore. I don't even want to mention Dragon Age - that age (neverwinter knights engine on steroids) must go.

It

It is 2011 now. PCs are not the last-gen Consoles anymore. A medium GPU card has enough RAM to run Windows 7, and benchmarks showing stuff we never get to see in games. Up until now. Bioware should look very closely, because Low-poly and maroon color-pallete is soo yesterday!.

Project RED may have started with Withcher One on a Neverwinter Nights modified engine, but they show that evolution cannot be stopped by a "works fine this way" approach. You might have seen screen-shots, gameplay movies, it looks even better in reality :-).

I know graphics just look good, but RPG is not a scripted slideshow between chess-turn-based "battle" sequences. Oh no, Witcher 2 is very fluent and real-time. You are a powerfull, but there are even more powerful foes out-there. Besides swords you also have magic and alchemy to help you win.

Story-wise, decisions you make matter. They matter in such a big way, that all the game that follows that decision is different. And there are no easy decisions, no-one is bad and no one is the good-guy. You can be what you will dictates but know that in ONE gameplay you will only see 70% of what the developers have so crafty put into this project. This adds to replay, maybe next time you'll spare the boy, maybe you will not...

I see this a s a milestone in RPG gaming. YOU deserve this game if you love great RPGs.

As an ending, all the DLCs will be FREE and I can't wait for the first add-on and my next playthrough.
  69. May 23, 2011
    The combat is demanding and and requires strategy and a use of all your available tools, but the game is infinitely rewarding. This game has better production values than any other RPG you will encounter. Everything from the voice acting to the graphics and lovingly crafted environments are better than even most of the content produced by top tier developers like Bioware
  70. Apr 19, 2012
    The first hour or two of this game, I hated it. Sure the story was great, and it was absolutely beautiful (although demanding). The combat is hard initially, but can be loads of fun once you adapt and learn to plan out your approach. The story is full of multiple meaningful decisions that result in completely different games - taking you to entirely different areas and methods of plotThe first hour or two of this game, I hated it. Sure the story was great, and it was absolutely beautiful (although demanding). The combat is hard initially, but can be loads of fun once you adapt and learn to plan out your approach. The story is full of multiple meaningful decisions that result in completely different games - taking you to entirely different areas and methods of plot progression. I highly recommend pushing through that initial learning curve, as you're then left with an awesome game to be immersed in. Expand
  71. Jun 2, 2011
    This is a great RPG. If your not squeamish about language usage and nudity this is a great game to pick up over the summer. Buy it, play it, love it. I know i am!
  72. Jun 4, 2011
    So far, this gets my vote for GOTY for 2011. The graphics are simply amazing; all those PC elitists who say "this game doesn't have DX11 so it blows, blah blah blah" need to take a close look at what CD Project has done with DX9. This is definitely one of the Top 10 best looking games of all-time, across all platforms. The story was great, and the length was above average (took me aboutSo far, this gets my vote for GOTY for 2011. The graphics are simply amazing; all those PC elitists who say "this game doesn't have DX11 so it blows, blah blah blah" need to take a close look at what CD Project has done with DX9. This is definitely one of the Top 10 best looking games of all-time, across all platforms. The story was great, and the length was above average (took me about 22 hours). The ending was not quite what I was expecting, but doesn't detract enough from the game to move my vote from a 10 to a 9. All-in-all, the best old school RPG (Mass Effect isn't what I'd consider old school) I've played since Morrowind. 10/10 Expand
  73. Jun 11, 2011
    How is it possible to not like this game!!! It's the best RPG I've ever played, besides maybe Fallout 3. But that's not an apples to apples comparison. GOTY by far - best graphics to date (I have a computer that can max this out, including ubersampling) and it is f*n beautiful. Beyond words. The combat system is fun as hell and this game is worth way more than the $50 asking price. StoryHow is it possible to not like this game!!! It's the best RPG I've ever played, besides maybe Fallout 3. But that's not an apples to apples comparison. GOTY by far - best graphics to date (I have a computer that can max this out, including ubersampling) and it is f*n beautiful. Beyond words. The combat system is fun as hell and this game is worth way more than the $50 asking price. Story line is great, I don't even need to say more. If you don't like this game something is wrong with you :) Expand
  74. Aug 13, 2011
    Brilliant game, great pacing, great quests, my favorite part? The ambiguity of what it means to be "good" or "evil". Instead of the usual choice between "goodie two shoes" and "completely evil bastard" with nothing in between, you actually have to make choices between shades of grey and live with the consequences. I was actually beginning to lose hope that we'd never see a truly great RPGBrilliant game, great pacing, great quests, my favorite part? The ambiguity of what it means to be "good" or "evil". Instead of the usual choice between "goodie two shoes" and "completely evil bastard" with nothing in between, you actually have to make choices between shades of grey and live with the consequences. I was actually beginning to lose hope that we'd never see a truly great RPG again. Definitely raises the bar of what an RPG can be. Expand
  75. Jun 22, 2011
    Simply the best game i've played in a long time.The epic music and colourful graphics really enhances your experience. Can't believe anyone would rate this game under 90%. its definitely not perfect but its pretty much near close to it.
  76. Aug 17, 2011
    Desik's review and score of a 1 is exactly what i would expect form the new lazy gamer generation that doesn't have any idea how to explore. All they want is everything handed to them with cheat codes and guides. This games setupa nd mechanics are a greta throw back to the old days of gaming and keeps well with the old witcher game.

If you are a WoW kiddie who has to have everything

If you are a WoW kiddie who has to have everything handed to you on easy mode than don't play this game and go back to WoW please.
  77. Jul 8, 2011
    I love this game. The Witcher has "Slavic" climate. Story is interesting and "adult". Moral choice are difficult (not black and white). I must mention the great dialogues (I played in the Polish language version). / Co tu pisaÄ
  78. Aug 9, 2011
    Best RPG this year! Despite several nedastatkov, this game is much larger than the competition! I advise everyone bows role-playing and creativity of the Polish writer!
  79. Jan 27, 2012
    Amazing game. A Fantastic mix of Assassin's Creed and Oblivion. The combat system is better than Oblivion. My prefer game of 2011.

PC version uses DirectX 11 API and no DRM.
  80. Nov 16, 2011
    The good: Some of the settings are breath taking. Honestly, I can't think of how many would-be desktop wallpaper "images" I encountered. Loved the dialog. I found the swearing to be seamless, and not so "hey look at me, i'm swearing!" like other games. I really liked the voice acting (english), especially some of the accents. Theres a certain "confidence" to the world. Combat is good,The good: Some of the settings are breath taking. Honestly, I can't think of how many would-be desktop wallpaper "images" I encountered. Loved the dialog. I found the swearing to be seamless, and not so "hey look at me, i'm swearing!" like other games. I really liked the voice acting (english), especially some of the accents. Theres a certain "confidence" to the world. Combat is good, although the aiming is not perfect when fighting groups (you do unlock abilities later on to compensate for this. Some interesting side quests.

The bad: Story introduces WAY too many characters, but does not give you much time to know them all. Seriously, they fire names out of a mini gun at you. The plot has kind of a hard time staying focused. Quests can be very vague. Like I had to go to gamefaqs a number of times, and upon finding out the solution, was left with the feeling of "how the hell would I have figured that out?" There are a few parts where it feels like its being dragged out for the sake of length. It can be a system killer on max, and prepare for some bugs. Really though, my biggest complaint is that the story did'nt have enough oomph. All in all, play it. It has an atmosphere that I have not really encountered well, handles mature themes better than most games, and has some really amazing characters. As long as you don't expect some Knights of the Old Republic-calibre story telling, you will love it. (for what its worth, the story is not bad, its just sort of there.)
  81. Nov 12, 2011
    This game has absolute amazing story. Sometimes it's more like movie than game but who cares if scenes are better than in some movies. The 2.0 patch gave us arena when we can have fun and train before campaign like i did so i finished game on dark mode within 2 days. There are some bugs or errors but they don't interfere to much so i didn't really care. I'm just waiting for witcher 3 so iThis game has absolute amazing story. Sometimes it's more like movie than game but who cares if scenes are better than in some movies. The 2.0 patch gave us arena when we can have fun and train before campaign like i did so i finished game on dark mode within 2 days. There are some bugs or errors but they don't interfere to much so i didn't really care. I'm just waiting for witcher 3 so i can see if my chooses were good Expand
  82. Feb 19, 2012
    By no means a perfect game, yet the most enjoyable video game I can recall playing. The graphics are spectacular, even on my rig, which is pretty average. The multilateral storyline is quite frankly, brilliance if ever I saw it. The realism of sound effects will help immerse the player and the voice acting, patchy here and there, is generally good. It's a game that doesnt take itself tooBy no means a perfect game, yet the most enjoyable video game I can recall playing. The graphics are spectacular, even on my rig, which is pretty average. The multilateral storyline is quite frankly, brilliance if ever I saw it. The realism of sound effects will help immerse the player and the voice acting, patchy here and there, is generally good. It's a game that doesnt take itself too seriously, with the occasional reference to Lord of The Rings that none of the characters really understand. The combat however, will annoy some people while pleasing others. The great strength of the original Witcher was its strong storytelling, and this is no different to the sequel. Where the Witcher 2 excels, however, is in how the decisions the player makes, so greatly affect the story they play in down the track. The storyline/storylines themselves are both rich and mature and you get the sense that the quests you complete, has in one way or another, affected the community, country or world that you are playing in. The decisions you make are subtle. There is no shining beam of light above the "moral" choice and flame wreathed "amoral" immoral choices. This alone sets the game apart from other RPGs where the player is forced to make choices. People however, polarise on the subject of combat within the game. Some argue that the nature of the combat makes the game too easy, while some complain that it never executes actions on the target the player wants it to. Few people were a fan of the main characters stagger, or flinch when he is hit which would in turn interrupt his own attacks. Personally I never really had an issue with it, though it definitely took some getting used to, although I found it, immediately more difficult than your typical hack and slash game. Also is the issue of swearing and sexual content. Some people wouldnt mind it, while others will be annoyed by it. Thus, not one for the kids. Overall, one of the best, most enthralling worlds Ive ever been immersed into. Not everyones cup of tea but, in my mind at least, the most enjoyable game Ive ever played. I hesitate to give away my 10/10 score, yet, it really does not get much better than this. Expand
  83. Mar 5, 2012
    The story is decent and interesting albeit rushed towards the end. The actual character building through adding stats to your desired gameplay preference is pretty flawed too as I didn't even fill one tree (there are 3). And it was pretty light on the rpg element of manipulating your character really. As for any real combat tactics, there really is none. This game doesn't shine in theThe story is decent and interesting albeit rushed towards the end. The actual character building through adding stats to your desired gameplay preference is pretty flawed too as I didn't even fill one tree (there are 3). And it was pretty light on the rpg element of manipulating your character really. As for any real combat tactics, there really is none. This game doesn't shine in the combat department like for instance batman arkham city did. It pretty much is a button bashing nightmare sometimes. Then we have games engine. It felt un-optimized, with an above average computer I couldn't get it to run with it high settings at all and had to live with mid level settings so the game is hugely demanding. Which means they spent no time on whether PC could handle the game. I give this game a 6 as I only pushed to complete it as I just wanted to know the ending to the story not for the accomplishment of completing the game. Expand
  84. Mar 12, 2012
    1st best polish game. One of the best RPGs ever, one of the best fantasy universes ever. : )
    I recommend this game and The Witcher Saga too! :D
    Dark and deep world with sclavinian style. Much more better than first game.
  85. Mar 21, 2012
    A true modern RPG . Good story telling , allowing player to make choices . Hard , complex but nice combat mechanics . Graphics very nice , sounds ok , More better then all of the RPG titled games in the market now .
    If you like RPG , do not miss this one . If you did not , play The witcher too before starting second one . You will have more fun .
  86. Mar 30, 2012
    As a reader of the books and after multiple playthroughs of the first part I can safely say, that CD projekt is godlike! this is the most impressing world I have experienced yet, it deserves to be placed at the side of Lotr. And unlike the movie, the game manages to adapt the spirit of this world and the main character from the books into an awesome game. I will definitely play it againAs a reader of the books and after multiple playthroughs of the first part I can safely say, that CD projekt is godlike! this is the most impressing world I have experienced yet, it deserves to be placed at the side of Lotr. And unlike the movie, the game manages to adapt the spirit of this world and the main character from the books into an awesome game. I will definitely play it again and again to discover new things around the beautiful, terrifying, astonishing witcher series. This piece of art has left a mark in my life and I would recommend anyone to play the game and every Polish, German or Russian speaking human being to read this masterwork of a book series.
    Now regarding the combat mechanics: It is challenging, fast-paced, fun and fits in the world. Anyone stating something different hasn't really got into it or should play other kinds of games.
    The interface is well-thought-out and fine to handle. The only flaw is the short third chapter but this will apparently be fixed by 17th of April when the next huge patch is arriving.
  87. Jul 27, 2012
    CD Projekt RED might just be one of the few devs that can save PC gaming. This game has everything a good game needs. Very fluid and satisfying combat, huge character development tree, extremely nice level design with amazing detail. And the story is is just amazing all the way through. This game can just amaze every gamer, RPG fan or not.
  88. Dec 3, 2012
    The best game I played since Baldur's Gate 2. This is the only game ever made that comes this close to Baldur's Gate 2 in epicness. Everything is amazing; from storyline, choices, progression, characters, graphics, difficulty, economy... there is NOTHING bad about this game. I'd love to see an RPG where I can create my own character though. That'd be epic epicness. Great game!
  89. Dec 21, 2013
    So, Witcher 2. A great game indeed. For me, it stands in one line with my favorite RPG games Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate,SW Knights of the Old Republic 1, Fallout, Arcanum. What makes this game so great it's adult fantasy world. It's cruel and beautiful, just like real world. There are dragons, elves and they get along well with slavic mythic creatures.
    Second, it's game plot and
    Second, it's game plot and dialogs.And of course characters. They are interesting by themselves. Lutik(Dandelion), Zoltan,Iorveth,Roche they looks like real, with they own motivation and goals.
    And the last, but not least. The game is not black&white. Very often you must make decisions. And often you don't quite sure about them. Is it good or bad? Did you save people or doom them? Who is worse humans or mindless monsters?
    The truth is that you and only you can judge your actions. Game won't do it. No good & evil alignment. Make decisions. Face consequences.
    All these parts make the world in which I believe.
    The world, which story I am eager to hear.
    p.s. sorry for my poor english.
  90. Dec 27, 2012
    Realy very impressive RPG game, the only thing that makes me angry, is optimization, its not as good as it could be. But though thtas first game on that engine, i can deal with that
  91. Apr 26, 2015
    This entire series was somewhat of a hidden gem for me. It's got great writing, good characters, and pretty fantastic gameplay.

I will caution anyone getting into it though, it took me about an hour to really start getting invested in it. Might just be me, but if it seems slow going with this or the first one, give it a chance.
  92. Mar 31, 2013
    Truly a memorable experience and will certainly set a standard almost impossible for it's RPG kin to live up to. The game has shed a lot of it's more complex character development mechanics but only to make a more fluid combat experience, and a storyline that is just as immersive the original The Witcher. You are Geralt, you are tenacious, you are driven, and you are gallant.
  93. Apr 1, 2013
    Second part of saga. This one is more innovating, has better fighting and spellcasting system, has longer, nonlinear story and much greater amount od sidequests. World is larger. Graphics are just great.
    This is one of the best games in 2012
  94. Jul 26, 2013
    "The Witcher 2" is an absolute masterpiece.
    Fighting here is difficult, various quests, and the world as a whole looks alive. The decisions taken really influence the story, which leads to a huge number of endings (17!). My opinion, "Role Play of the Year".
  95. Aug 27, 2013
    I gave up on this game. When I approach the edge of a high structure, I expect the character to jump or fall down. Every mission I played was like running in a corridor. I was fighting with the controls, not the enemies. Last but not least, the over-saturated colors completely ruined the immersion for me.
  96. Jul 5, 2014
    Overrated game, looks good, and thats about it.
    really decent fighting, and overall exp. if youre looking for it, i suggest you to look elsewhere.
    i do believe youre going to be disappointed.
  97. Jul 3, 2014
    This is a great, great game in a great, great series. It's hand's down the only modern series that can stand toe to toe with classic RPG's of Infinity engine.
  98. Sep 28, 2014
    Im from Poland so i should rate this game 9/10 but i cant. 7/10 because the story lane is not bad but when you leave the village, you will see a lot of mobs, totaly **** In the book (the book is 999999x better than this game), people dont meet mobs every 10 meters, sometimes people can sleep in the forest and see zero monsters but in the game, mobs are everywhere and not 2 mobs per 200Im from Poland so i should rate this game 9/10 but i cant. 7/10 because the story lane is not bad but when you leave the village, you will see a lot of mobs, totaly **** In the book (the book is 999999x better than this game), people dont meet mobs every 10 meters, sometimes people can sleep in the forest and see zero monsters but in the game, mobs are everywhere and not 2 mobs per 200 yards but spam of mobs.
    You should read the books "The Witcher", by Andrzej Sapkowski. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher
  99. Apr 6, 2015
    Meh.... I tired to finish Witcher 1 couldn't do it. So in an attempt to get psych'd for witcher 3 i bought witcher 2. I think i finished it in under 24 hours. the voice acting is underwhelming as well as the general story arc, and most of NPCs are boring and don't really add to much. The graphic and combat were good, but the map was god awful. i'm not sure what the redeeming qualities areMeh.... I tired to finish Witcher 1 couldn't do it. So in an attempt to get psych'd for witcher 3 i bought witcher 2. I think i finished it in under 24 hours. the voice acting is underwhelming as well as the general story arc, and most of NPCs are boring and don't really add to much. The graphic and combat were good, but the map was god awful. i'm not sure what the redeeming qualities are for this game, I'm glad it didn't buy it new, and Im going to have to wait for review on W3. in the mean time I guess it's back to the DA series for me. Expand
  100. May 19, 2011
    Okay first off i love this game. It is fantastic in almost every level, despite i few problems under the hood (freezing and what not). That is not why i am posting though. This whole riot between DA and witcher fans needs to stop. Both are fantastic franchices. I would consider myself more of a witcher fan. Witcher fans: We owe a lot to Bioware, if it werent for them and there fantasticOkay first off i love this game. It is fantastic in almost every level, despite i few problems under the hood (freezing and what not). That is not why i am posting though. This whole riot between DA and witcher fans needs to stop. Both are fantastic franchices. I would consider myself more of a witcher fan. Witcher fans: We owe a lot to Bioware, if it werent for them and there fantastic Auora engine the witcher might not have even seen the light of day. And dragon age fans: Just face the facts and accept that Bioware did not follow up with the sequel all you hardcore fans deserved. I'm not trying to hate but it felt like they took out a lot of things that made the first one so great. So let's just end this. We are all gamers and need to stick together on stuff like this. How about we just love both franchices. Expand
  101. May 18, 2011
    Wow. I actually said that out load when I started playing this game. I have the PC version and havnt yet tried the other console versions but I can easily say that the graphics are the best that I have ever seen. Blows Crysis, DAO(and 2) and even Metro 2033 out of the water. The "ubersample" settings are amazing and just make it even better, although be warned you need a bigtime rig. AsideWow. I actually said that out load when I started playing this game. I have the PC version and havnt yet tried the other console versions but I can easily say that the graphics are the best that I have ever seen. Blows Crysis, DAO(and 2) and even Metro 2033 out of the water. The "ubersample" settings are amazing and just make it even better, although be warned you need a bigtime rig. Aside from graphics the style of the game just drew me in. I was in that world, I was Geralt. I havnt beaten the game yet but the story is fantastic with some pretty amazing plot lines, characters and UNLIKE DA2 varied settings that make you believe. The interface was a bit clumsy at first but I have gotten used to it now and forging weapons, potions and adding upgrades seems easy now. This will win game of the year, unless the folks at Bethesda top it with Skyrim. Perhaps the people at EA(Bioware) can take a look at the Witcher 2 and understand how a gritty yet beautiful game is created. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011