8.5

1. May 23, 2011
    Ah, what a game.

Ah, what a game.

It's a game you must invest some time into, especially if you do not play many RPGs, but it's more then worth it. I'll give you some advice right off the bat: It's pretty hard when you first start out, but don't let it put you off. Press J to bring up your journal and spend some time reading the basic tutorials and learning what each of the spells / powerups do. The game does not hold you hand but all the information you need is right there in your journal which updates as you go through the game. This threw me at first because like most I've gotten used to games baby stepping me through them, but it's worth the time invested.

The graphics look great, the game runs very nicely and has tons of tweaking options. The story is gripping even for those that didn't play much of the first Witcher. A game that's well worth buying at full price if you are even remotely interested in RPG's.
  2. May 17, 2011
    This game is great, I was looking forward to great RPGs this year and 2/3 times I got very disappointing (DA2 sucking, ME3 being delayed to 2012 probably) but wow was in a treat for the 3rd one... very very happy with this game so far the only thing that I sorhta had an issue with was the DX9 only engine but it looks very nice regardless. This game has all the true PC RPG elements at itsThis game is great, I was looking forward to great RPGs this year and 2/3 times I got very disappointing (DA2 sucking, ME3 being delayed to 2012 probably) but wow was in a treat for the 3rd one... very very happy with this game so far the only thing that I sorhta had an issue with was the DX9 only engine but it looks very nice regardless. This game has all the true PC RPG elements at its core (unlike other RPG games that have come out recently) and I think other developers should learn a thing or two from these guys *wink* *wink* bioware.

10/10 in my book.
  3. May 17, 2011
    A refreshingly complex and deeply engaging RPG that blows its recent competition clean out of the water. Proves that beautiful visuals and ambitious scope in no way preclude depth of content, attention to detail or complex storytelling in an RPG.

It's not without its flaws, but they're very minor flaws in what is in all other ways a masterful example of the best the genre has to offer. Superb.
  4. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is without a doubt one of the greatest RPGs of this generation, if not downright THE greatest. It has an absolutely phenomenal combat system that trumps just about every RPG to come out this generation due to the fact that there is a strong emphasis on tactics while not sacrificing any of the tense, exciting action that the combat delivers. The world is one of the most livelyThe Witcher 2 is without a doubt one of the greatest RPGs of this generation, if not downright THE greatest. It has an absolutely phenomenal combat system that trumps just about every RPG to come out this generation due to the fact that there is a strong emphasis on tactics while not sacrificing any of the tense, exciting action that the combat delivers. The world is one of the most lively video game worlds that has ever been created. Not only is the game universe so rich in detail, but CDP went to extremes with its attention to the smallest details. For instance, blowing out a camp fire that a group where huddled around would result in them trying to light it back up. All AI units have a schedule and feel like individual people. In the end, I don't think there is a single criticism one can have of the game world. Lets just say there are very few RPG's in which I have done as many side quests as in Witcher 2. It is THAT good. The RPG mechanics in the witcher are great, with 3 specialized talent trees and 1 general "witcher" tree. Combat depends on Geralt's stats and not only on his ninja gaiden skills, so it never really descends into a action adventure game like Bioware's Mass Effect series. All the variety in weapons expected from a good RPG is here: throwing weapons, bombs, magic spells and of course your usual melee weapons like swords, axes, clubs, etc. Not only that, but the game has an absolutely amazing alchemy and crafting system in which the quests make strong use of (making specific poison/bomb for mission) and you would also need to use them in order to survive some of the tougher fights. NOTHING is left to feel as though its just in there for the sake of it. Even the BOOKS have use as when you go monster hunting, you gotta look up the creatures you want to kill and research about them in the books to be able to get more details about their lairs, behaviors, etc. The story is non-linear and epic. For those who don't know, it has 16 varied endings depending on the choices made throughout the game. That alone makes the Witcher 2 have one of the deepest storylines offered this generation. The story kicks off with a bang and with the aid of the game world, remains constantly immersive. The plot always has some new revelation to throw at you every step of the way and the excellent characters and voice acting give further life to the story. The Witcher 2 has an epic tale that none should miss.

In conclusion, if you are a PC gamer and don't own Witcher 2, shame on you.
  5. May 17, 2011
    I registered just to tell the world what a massive enjoyment this game is. Absolute, total 10 for one of the best RPGs since Planescape. It looks awesome, it sounds awesome and, damn, it plays awesome and tells you an awesome story!
  6. May 17, 2011
    Poor form BioWare employees, poor form. Giving this game a 0, and your own game a 10? When you're a developer, you lose the ability to review, because it will always be biased.
  7. May 24, 2011
    Oh boy...Console fanboys have come out in droves to champion their flagship RPG. It's just a shame it's as good as they want you to believe. Just head over to the official forums and read the praise. It's astounding a game hyped this much could ship in such terrific shape. Pretty good when developers start talking patches the day the game ships. Technicals issues are minimal, this gameOh boy...Console fanboys have come out in droves to champion their flagship RPG. It's just a shame it's as good as they want you to believe. Just head over to the official forums and read the praise. It's astounding a game hyped this much could ship in such terrific shape. Pretty good when developers start talking patches the day the game ships. Technicals issues are minimal, this game beyond belief. The UI is Cumbersome. The combat feels more like brutally . It's a game the developers must have felt the need to make it PC like and in doing so they made it superior to consoles. It also mature for all the right reasons. If you want a great example of maturity look no further than The Witcher 2. I really like The Witcher 2...I really did.. Its clear the developers put in a ton of work creating this game. It is ashamed the the game is currently the number one download on just about every torrent website. The developers know consoles fanboys are ingrates with no life, no job, and no romance(NERD), consoles. Then they can actually generate some revenue seeing as how consoles fanboys merely ask thier mommy for everything :) Expand
  8. May 18, 2011
    Oh man there are a lot of butt hurt Bioware DA2 fans I see. Perhaps some of these zero's and one's are from bioware employees? Like those perfect 10's they gave their own game. I've played over 10 hours so far, and it is.. awe-, er, amazingly epic! (can't use awesome, as it means now DA2's awesome button, which means it sucks) Its sucked me to my chair for a solid six hours straight. VeryOh man there are a lot of butt hurt Bioware DA2 fans I see. Perhaps some of these zero's and one's are from bioware employees? Like those perfect 10's they gave their own game. I've played over 10 hours so far, and it is.. awe-, er, amazingly epic! (can't use awesome, as it means now DA2's awesome button, which means it sucks) Its sucked me to my chair for a solid six hours straight. Very good voice acting, the story is wonderful, and I love the combat. This is how to do quick reactive combat.

Bioware should learn from the masters of CDProjekt Red with their epic game The Witcher 2. (hah user "Bioware", I can do the same, only this time its true, unlike your review) on how to make an Action RPG, with deep characters, and unique combat, magic and customization.

The graphics and artwork are.. breathtaking.. one of the prettiest RPG games I have played to date. No game gets a perfect 10, there was a small thing with lip syncing, and the odd clipping issue. Besides that this game deserves a solid 9 / 10.
  9. May 18, 2011
    The new gold standard for RPG games, Witcher 2 is to the RPG genre as half life was to the FPS genre. The bar has just been set and the king throned.

Amazing graphics with cutting edge technology to push and punish the PC hardware that is rarely thought about by multiplatform games designed around consoles. An immersive dynamic world where time of day matters and isn't simply a gimmick

An immersive dynamic world where time of day matters and isn't simply a gimmick thrown in with reduced brightness. Cities are alive during the day with people doing what people would do instead of just standing around in place for hours like most other games. People interact with each other, go to work, and at night time hit up the pub and whore houses. Find yourself stumbling around in the dead of night down a dark alley and you'll probably run into bandits, drunks stumbling around, and increase monster presence in the wild.

Items, crafting, books, and more items; this game is rich with items. There are tons from different weapons such as halberds to junk items such as handcuffs. Crafting matters and you aren't limited to a single profession but rather you're able to use whatever you please. This means picking up herbs for potions and still being able to upgrade weapons even creating new armors. No restrictions allowing the player to enjoy and do what they please. If you enjoy item aspect of RPG games this game delivers 10 fold.

Engaging and skill based combat. Although Witcher 2 is more action oriented especially the combat that doesn't mean it's a simplistic bush masher where 50 clicks equates to a win. The combat is very tactical and requires timing to succeed. A lot of people find the combat to be difficult but once you've failed a couple of times and get the hang of its uniqueness it is very rewarding. Combat requires thought and planning so trying to play it like typical action based RPG's will result in failure. With 6 different magical abilities, 4 different skill trees, ranged weapons, items, and traps every battle is different and requires it's own solution.

Customization is very alive and well in Witcher 2. With 4 different progression trees that allow players drastically change what their character is an expert in every type of player can find their calling whether it's a something who relies heavily on magic abilities or a player whom decides creating strong potions to add in combat and the creating of powerful bombs the Witcher 2 has you covered. Although you can't customize your character's appearance via different hair, face options, or race the customization in this game via the skill trees and dialogue options like intimidate/influence is anything but frivolous and really adds to the game whereas different hair colors certainly doesn't. Story and re playability. Without spoiling anything and that's hard to do since there are so many choices that affect several other options, questions, and even the world you play in I'll just say it will require several entire play throughs to do it and see all Witcher 2 offers. Unlike other RPG games that pride themselves on "choice" and "consequences" which are clear cut good and bad scale the Witcher 2 is 500 shades of grey where whatever you choose it will probably end badly for someone. This is a dark mature low fantasy world where people are blunt and that rpg status quo doesn't apply. Forget the typical racial stereotypes and get ready for adult language and even nudity. CD Projekt Red decided to offer a truly unique experience for gamers tired of posh fancy elves, the knight in shining armor, and bad guys you couldn't ever relate to. I could never give a game a perfect 10 because there is always something the developer could have done better but in the case of Witcher 2 I'll give it a 10. I do this because of what the developer gives for the money. An actual game manual that is more than 3 pages of legal shenanigans, free game soundtrack, a game guide, and the option for your game to be entirely DRM free. It's the little things which are nonexistent now days for most developers unless you pay more but in the Witcher 2 you get standard which makes this game an excellent value. Did I mention FREE DLC and never having to pay for it? No release day paid DLC here folks. Enjoy your game you paid for it!
  10. May 22, 2011
    One of the best RPG i ve played since Gothic, Morrowind and Risen. Finally somebody showed those mainstream, brainwashed developers how good RPGs are made.

Thanks!
  11. May 19, 2011
    This is Baldur's Gate 3 - so much love and attention has been lavished on this game it aches. This game delivers in spades what RPG lovers look for. This is the new benchmark - CD Projekt are the new Black Isle - no question. GO AND BUY THIS GAME!!!!!!
  12. May 28, 2011
    beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeest game ever
  13. May 20, 2011
    Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, but this game is a true masterpiece. CDPR, you have absolutely awed me with the level of quality you have put into this title. I can't wait to see what the future holds for such an awesome corporation!
  14. May 21, 2011
    Thank you for this game. After seeing what happened to the Dragon Age franchise with the utter failure of DA2 I completely lost my love for RPGs and gaming in general. I was nervous that all companies would adopt the BioWare/EA business model of producing terrible games and relying on their marketing department to push their products. The first 30 minutes of The Witcher 2 changed all ofThank you for this game. After seeing what happened to the Dragon Age franchise with the utter failure of DA2 I completely lost my love for RPGs and gaming in general. I was nervous that all companies would adopt the BioWare/EA business model of producing terrible games and relying on their marketing department to push their products. The first 30 minutes of The Witcher 2 changed all of that. I'm the typical, "I want to choose my race/class/name when I play an RPG!" gamer but the Witcher 2's story is so engrossing that I feel more for The Witcher than I have in more customizable RPG games. Each decision TRULY impacts the story. Combat is challenging and requires serious forethought even on normal difficulty. Magic, alchemy, and traps MUST be used on higher difficulties. Its like Demon Souls meets an incredibly well written RPG for adults. This game feels and plays like a game designed for true RPG fans. Thank you so much. I'm going to play the hell out of this game! Expand
  15. May 21, 2011
    I am very disappointed with this game and I can't believe when people say that it could be the GOTY and one of the best RPGs out there. The game has insane performance issues. The game is very demanding on the graphics requirements, so I must run it on low settings and even with that the game sometimes bogs down horribly. Moreover, the camera and characters have horrible issues, especiallyI am very disappointed with this game and I can't believe when people say that it could be the GOTY and one of the best RPGs out there. The game has insane performance issues. The game is very demanding on the graphics requirements, so I must run it on low settings and even with that the game sometimes bogs down horribly. Moreover, the camera and characters have horrible issues, especially in cutscenes, where a character, for example, will finish speaking a line and then glitch into another position. Sometimes archers will shoot at you while facing a wall. Interacting with objects can be horribly annoying, especially since Geralt likes to keep moving for an excessive amount of time after you've released movement keys. The tutorial could be useful if it had been done properly, half the time I didn't even notice the tips; sometimes because they appeared after the event, sometimes because I was too busy fighting enemies to notice -no, the game doesn't pause for you to read. All of these can be considered as minor issues once you get to the core of the problem: The game is not an RPG, unless you consider FFXIII an RPG. Character growth is a joke, and combat is an even bigger joke. The game feels like a port even though it isn't. Fighting enemies requires absolutely no strategy, just smashing the left and right mouse buttons. There is also a very broken stealth system and before you end the initial sequence of the story, you find more holes in it than a cheese grater.
    I wanted to like this game, really. But when the characters are shallow and the gameplay is absolutely dreadful, well, wanting to like it just doesn't cut it. If you want a real RPG, go back to Bethesda or Bioware.
  16. May 22, 2011
    An absolute triumph in the art of RPG storytelling. By far the most compelling characters, boldest storytelling, and most enjoyable combat in any RPG designed to date. Look on and despair, Bioware, for the RPG of the Year won't be yours this time. While Atari has made a few blunders in the marketing of this superb game, that does not detract from CDProject's mastery of game design. I'm aAn absolute triumph in the art of RPG storytelling. By far the most compelling characters, boldest storytelling, and most enjoyable combat in any RPG designed to date. Look on and despair, Bioware, for the RPG of the Year won't be yours this time. While Atari has made a few blunders in the marketing of this superb game, that does not detract from CDProject's mastery of game design. I'm a long time fan of RPGs in general and CDProject in particular as a master of the genre, and this is certainly one of my favourites. If you enjoy good RPGs, mature stories that don't insult your intelligence, wonderfully human fleshed-out characters, and engaging combat, this is the baby for you. Expand
  17. May 22, 2011
    Has to be the best game made this year so far, Amazing story, Characters and graphics. plus none of the romance **** like other games seem to think are important.

you can tell the developers put alot of hard work in to this and it payed off :)
  18. May 23, 2011
    The game is gorgeous. It has always been my belief that for a good RPG, the game-play must be on top. The Witcher 2 proves that graphics - amazing graphics - can also be on top. The game looks incredible. Up until now I thought that Oblivion and Mass Effect was the top - not anymore. I don't even want to mention Dragon Age - that age (neverwinter knights engine on steroids) must go.

It

It is 2011 now. PCs are not the last-gen Consoles anymore. A medium GPU card has enough RAM to run Windows 7, and benchmarks showing stuff we never get to see in games. Up until now. Bioware should look very closely, because Low-poly and maroon color-pallete is soo yesterday!.

Project RED may have started with Withcher One on a Neverwinter Nights modified engine, but they show that evolution cannot be stopped by a "works fine this way" approach. You might have seen screen-shots, gameplay movies, it looks even better in reality :-).

I know graphics just look good, but RPG is not a scripted slideshow between chess-turn-based "battle" sequences. Oh no, Witcher 2 is very fluent and real-time. You are a powerfull, but there are even more powerful foes out-there. Besides swords you also have magic and alchemy to help you win.

Story-wise, decisions you make matter. They matter in such a big way, that all the game that follows that decision is different. And there are no easy decisions, no-one is bad and no one is the good-guy. You can be what you will dictates but know that in ONE gameplay you will only see 70% of what the developers have so crafty put into this project. This adds to replay, maybe next time you'll spare the boy, maybe you will not...

I see this a s a milestone in RPG gaming. YOU deserve this game if you love great RPGs.

As an ending, all the DLCs will be FREE and I can't wait for the first add-on and my next playthrough.
  19. May 23, 2011
    The combat is demanding and and requires strategy and a use of all your available tools, but the game is infinitely rewarding. This game has better production values than any other RPG you will encounter. Everything from the voice acting to the graphics and lovingly crafted environments are better than even most of the content produced by top tier developers like Bioware
  20. Apr 19, 2012
    The first hour or two of this game, I hated it. Sure the story was great, and it was absolutely beautiful (although demanding). The combat is hard initially, but can be loads of fun once you adapt and learn to plan out your approach. The story is full of multiple meaningful decisions that result in completely different games - taking you to entirely different areas and methods of plotThe first hour or two of this game, I hated it. Sure the story was great, and it was absolutely beautiful (although demanding). The combat is hard initially, but can be loads of fun once you adapt and learn to plan out your approach. The story is full of multiple meaningful decisions that result in completely different games - taking you to entirely different areas and methods of plot progression. I highly recommend pushing through that initial learning curve, as you're then left with an awesome game to be immersed in. Expand
  21. Jun 2, 2011
    This is a great RPG. If your not squeamish about language usage and nudity this is a great game to pick up over the summer. Buy it, play it, love it. I know i am!
  22. Jun 4, 2011
    So far, this gets my vote for GOTY for 2011. The graphics are simply amazing; all those PC elitists who say "this game doesn't have DX11 so it blows, blah blah blah" need to take a close look at what CD Project has done with DX9. This is definitely one of the Top 10 best looking games of all-time, across all platforms. The story was great, and the length was above average (took me aboutSo far, this gets my vote for GOTY for 2011. The graphics are simply amazing; all those PC elitists who say "this game doesn't have DX11 so it blows, blah blah blah" need to take a close look at what CD Project has done with DX9. This is definitely one of the Top 10 best looking games of all-time, across all platforms. The story was great, and the length was above average (took me about 22 hours). The ending was not quite what I was expecting, but doesn't detract enough from the game to move my vote from a 10 to a 9. All-in-all, the best old school RPG (Mass Effect isn't what I'd consider old school) I've played since Morrowind. 10/10 Expand
  23. Jun 8, 2011
    The Witcher 2 offers breathtaking visuals, an engaging story, and memorable RPG mechanics.

The story and atmosphere of The Witcher 2 is unlike one you will find in any other game.The characters give a very real down to earth impression that makes you think about every action you take and whose perspective to see things from. Will you side with the underhanded non-human "martyrs" or the ruthless, overzealous imperial commandos? Will you bow to the Warmongering Monarch or the embrace of anarchy?

The atmosphere of The Witcher 2 is that of a classic middle-earth, with the bonus of a refreshing variety of monsters somewhat unlike those found in other games. Rejoice - there are no Orcs in this game!
    Even the main character Geralt, The Witcher himself, is a being not found in the World of Dragon Age, Lord of The Rings, or Warcraft. You play a man, once human, who was stripped of his humanity through rigorous procedure using alchemy to enhance the normal human physiology. All for one purpose: to help slay the evil beasts that roam the world.

The Witcher 2 doesn't even have the three classic archetypes. Yes you can specialize in Magic, yes you can specialize in Fighting with Big Swords, but an Archer specialization tree is missing.... Replaced by the Alchemy specialization tree, which helps The Witcher utilize powerful bombs and guzzle down powerful but dangerous alchemical potions that are so potent as to poison even The Witcher - a being born from alchemy.

The Witcher makes these potions himself using the game's extended crafting system, which is coincidentally used for making the most powerful weapons, armors, bombs, and potions found in the game. Potions are made using the usually plentiful ingredients (mostly everything you pick up can be used to craft another item), while the best Armor is crafted by finding one-time only drops from boss creatures.

There is another reason to buy The Witcher 2 besides the game world and mechanics themselves: every DLC is free. Yep, thats right, no 5 bucks for a bit of extra content on release. The First DLC was free to anyone who registered the game. Since release, 2 patches have been released to remedy the minor bugs and to fix issues with performance, and over half a dozen DLCs have been released, all free.
  24. Jun 11, 2011
    How is it possible to not like this game!!! It's the best RPG I've ever played, besides maybe Fallout 3. But that's not an apples to apples comparison. GOTY by far - best graphics to date (I have a computer that can max this out, including ubersampling) and it is f*n beautiful. Beyond words. The combat system is fun as hell and this game is worth way more than the $50 asking price. StoryHow is it possible to not like this game!!! It's the best RPG I've ever played, besides maybe Fallout 3. But that's not an apples to apples comparison. GOTY by far - best graphics to date (I have a computer that can max this out, including ubersampling) and it is f*n beautiful. Beyond words. The combat system is fun as hell and this game is worth way more than the $50 asking price. Story line is great, I don't even need to say more. If you don't like this game something is wrong with you :) Expand
  25. Jun 22, 2011
    Simply the best game i've played in a long time.The epic music and colourful graphics really enhances your experience. Can't believe anyone would rate this game under 90%. its definitely not perfect but its pretty much near close to it.
  26. Aug 17, 2011
    Desik's review and score of a 1 is exactly what i would expect form the new lazy gamer generation that doesn't have any idea how to explore. All they want is everything handed to them with cheat codes and guides. This games setupa nd mechanics are a greta throw back to the old days of gaming and keeps well with the old witcher game.

If you are a WoW kiddie who has to have everything

If you are a WoW kiddie who has to have everything handed to you on easy mode than don't play this game and go back to WoW please.
  27. Jul 8, 2011
    I love this game. The Witcher has "Slavic" climate. Story is interesting and "adult". Moral choice are difficult (not black and white). I must mention the great dialogues (I played in the Polish language version). / Co tu pisaÄ
  28. Aug 9, 2011
    Best RPG this year! Despite several nedastatkov, this game is much larger than the competition! I advise everyone bows role-playing and creativity of the Polish writer!
  29. Aug 25, 2011
    The witcher 2 based on the quality of the witcher one this was an imidiate buy. Imagion my suprise then when the "RPG" they produced was one long hallway with nice decorations. instead of wandering a world making decisions on where to go you are railroaded down a couple branching paths. in some if you enjoyed the choice that the witcher 1 offered then this is going to drive you nuts. IThe witcher 2 based on the quality of the witcher one this was an imidiate buy. Imagion my suprise then when the "RPG" they produced was one long hallway with nice decorations. instead of wandering a world making decisions on where to go you are railroaded down a couple branching paths. in some if you enjoyed the choice that the witcher 1 offered then this is going to drive you nuts. I guess its not suprising that they have gone into god of war mode like bioware who also used to make good games. Expand
  30. Aug 27, 2011
    Game of the Year! The Witcher 2 has fantastic graphics; gripping characters and true replay value. I cannot measure the amount of satisfaction I've been given by CD Projekt. I hope they continue in the same vain and expand this fantastic World they have created in the much anticipated next expansion/game they release. There are minor issues that have most be resolved by the subsequentialGame of the Year! The Witcher 2 has fantastic graphics; gripping characters and true replay value. I cannot measure the amount of satisfaction I've been given by CD Projekt. I hope they continue in the same vain and expand this fantastic World they have created in the much anticipated next expansion/game they release. There are minor issues that have most be resolved by the subsequential patches provided by CD Projekt. The MAIN problem with the Witcher 2 is that it ends... and I hope this is addressed very soon! I strongly recommend this game to anyone out there ready to immerse themselves into a game and find the challenges posed in Assassin of Kings as rewarding as I've found them. Currently I'm on my 3rd play through of this game. Expand
  31. Jan 27, 2012
    Amazing game. A Fantastic mix of Assassin's Creed and Oblivion. The combat system is better than Oblivion. My prefer game of 2011.

PC version uses DirectX 11 API and no DRM.
  32. Oct 9, 2011
    Simply faultless game! In all respects the best game of year! The unique drawing design fighting system the game world! In a word it is excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  33. Nov 16, 2011
    The good: Some of the settings are breath taking. Honestly, I can't think of how many would-be desktop wallpaper "images" I encountered. Loved the dialog. I found the swearing to be seamless, and not so "hey look at me, i'm swearing!" like other games. I really liked the voice acting (english), especially some of the accents. Theres a certain "confidence" to the world. Combat is good,The good: Some of the settings are breath taking. Honestly, I can't think of how many would-be desktop wallpaper "images" I encountered. Loved the dialog. I found the swearing to be seamless, and not so "hey look at me, i'm swearing!" like other games. I really liked the voice acting (english), especially some of the accents. Theres a certain "confidence" to the world. Combat is good, although the aiming is not perfect when fighting groups (you do unlock abilities later on to compensate for this. Some interesting side quests.

The bad: Story introduces WAY too many characters, but does not give you much time to know them all. Seriously, they fire names out of a mini gun at you. The plot has kind of a hard time staying focused. Quests can be very vague. Like I had to go to gamefaqs a number of times, and upon finding out the solution, was left with the feeling of "how the hell would I have figured that out?" There are a few parts where it feels like its being dragged out for the sake of length. It can be a system killer on max, and prepare for some bugs. Really though, my biggest complaint is that the story did'nt have enough oomph. All in all, play it. It has an atmosphere that I have not really encountered well, handles mature themes better than most games, and has some really amazing characters. As long as you don't expect some Knights of the Old Republic-calibre story telling, you will love it. (for what its worth, the story is not bad, its just sort of there.)
  34. Nov 12, 2011
    This game has absolute amazing story. Sometimes it's more like movie than game but who cares if scenes are better than in some movies. The 2.0 patch gave us arena when we can have fun and train before campaign like i did so i finished game on dark mode within 2 days. There are some bugs or errors but they don't interfere to much so i didn't really care. I'm just waiting for witcher 3 so iThis game has absolute amazing story. Sometimes it's more like movie than game but who cares if scenes are better than in some movies. The 2.0 patch gave us arena when we can have fun and train before campaign like i did so i finished game on dark mode within 2 days. There are some bugs or errors but they don't interfere to much so i didn't really care. I'm just waiting for witcher 3 so i can see if my chooses were good Expand
  35. Feb 19, 2012
    By no means a perfect game, yet the most enjoyable video game I can recall playing. The graphics are spectacular, even on my rig, which is pretty average. The multilateral storyline is quite frankly, brilliance if ever I saw it. The realism of sound effects will help immerse the player and the voice acting, patchy here and there, is generally good. It's a game that doesnt take itself tooBy no means a perfect game, yet the most enjoyable video game I can recall playing. The graphics are spectacular, even on my rig, which is pretty average. The multilateral storyline is quite frankly, brilliance if ever I saw it. The realism of sound effects will help immerse the player and the voice acting, patchy here and there, is generally good. It's a game that doesnt take itself too seriously, with the occasional reference to Lord of The Rings that none of the characters really understand. The combat however, will annoy some people while pleasing others. The great strength of the original Witcher was its strong storytelling, and this is no different to the sequel. Where the Witcher 2 excels, however, is in how the decisions the player makes, so greatly affect the story they play in down the track. The storyline/storylines themselves are both rich and mature and you get the sense that the quests you complete, has in one way or another, affected the community, country or world that you are playing in. The decisions you make are subtle. There is no shining beam of light above the "moral" choice and flame wreathed "amoral" immoral choices. This alone sets the game apart from other RPGs where the player is forced to make choices. People however, polarise on the subject of combat within the game. Some argue that the nature of the combat makes the game too easy, while some complain that it never executes actions on the target the player wants it to. Few people were a fan of the main characters stagger, or flinch when he is hit which would in turn interrupt his own attacks. Personally I never really had an issue with it, though it definitely took some getting used to, although I found it, immediately more difficult than your typical hack and slash game. Also is the issue of swearing and sexual content. Some people wouldnt mind it, while others will be annoyed by it. Thus, not one for the kids. Overall, one of the best, most enthralling worlds Ive ever been immersed into. Not everyones cup of tea but, in my mind at least, the most enjoyable game Ive ever played. I hesitate to give away my 10/10 score, yet, it really does not get much better than this. Expand
  36. Mar 5, 2012
    The story is decent and interesting albeit rushed towards the end. The actual character building through adding stats to your desired gameplay preference is pretty flawed too as I didn't even fill one tree (there are 3). And it was pretty light on the rpg element of manipulating your character really. As for any real combat tactics, there really is none. This game doesn't shine in theThe story is decent and interesting albeit rushed towards the end. The actual character building through adding stats to your desired gameplay preference is pretty flawed too as I didn't even fill one tree (there are 3). And it was pretty light on the rpg element of manipulating your character really. As for any real combat tactics, there really is none. This game doesn't shine in the combat department like for instance batman arkham city did. It pretty much is a button bashing nightmare sometimes. Then we have games engine. It felt un-optimized, with an above average computer I couldn't get it to run with it high settings at all and had to live with mid level settings so the game is hugely demanding. Which means they spent no time on whether PC could handle the game. I give this game a 6 as I only pushed to complete it as I just wanted to know the ending to the story not for the accomplishment of completing the game. Expand
  37. Mar 12, 2012
    1st best polish game. One of the best RPGs ever, one of the best fantasy universes ever. : )
    I recommend this game and The Witcher Saga too! :D
    Dark and deep world with sclavinian style. Much more better than first game.
  38. Mar 21, 2012
    A true modern RPG . Good story telling , allowing player to make choices . Hard , complex but nice combat mechanics . Graphics very nice , sounds ok , More better then all of the RPG titled games in the market now .
    If you like RPG , do not miss this one . If you did not , play The witcher too before starting second one . You will have more fun .
  39. Mar 30, 2012
    As a reader of the books and after multiple playthroughs of the first part I can safely say, that CD projekt is godlike! this is the most impressing world I have experienced yet, it deserves to be placed at the side of Lotr. And unlike the movie, the game manages to adapt the spirit of this world and the main character from the books into an awesome game. I will definitely play it againAs a reader of the books and after multiple playthroughs of the first part I can safely say, that CD projekt is godlike! this is the most impressing world I have experienced yet, it deserves to be placed at the side of Lotr. And unlike the movie, the game manages to adapt the spirit of this world and the main character from the books into an awesome game. I will definitely play it again and again to discover new things around the beautiful, terrifying, astonishing witcher series. This piece of art has left a mark in my life and I would recommend anyone to play the game and every Polish, German or Russian speaking human being to read this masterwork of a book series.
    Now regarding the combat mechanics: It is challenging, fast-paced, fun and fits in the world. Anyone stating something different hasn't really got into it or should play other kinds of games.
    The interface is well-thought-out and fine to handle. The only flaw is the short third chapter but this will apparently be fixed by 17th of April when the next huge patch is arriving.
  40. Jul 27, 2012
    CD Projekt RED might just be one of the few devs that can save PC gaming. This game has everything a good game needs. Very fluid and satisfying combat, huge character development tree, extremely nice level design with amazing detail. And the story is is just amazing all the way through. This game can just amaze every gamer, RPG fan or not.
  41. Sep 4, 2015
    The Witcher 2 came out a fair while ago, but I feel it has aged like wine of the highest quality does. I have completed the game several times since it launched in 2011 and every single time I ended up being more and more amazed at the complexity of its narrative. The second installment of The Witcher franchise (especially with the Enhanced Edition) succeeds to an almost unprecedentedThe Witcher 2 came out a fair while ago, but I feel it has aged like wine of the highest quality does. I have completed the game several times since it launched in 2011 and every single time I ended up being more and more amazed at the complexity of its narrative. The second installment of The Witcher franchise (especially with the Enhanced Edition) succeeds to an almost unprecedented degree in telling both a fantasy story and a medieval political thriller. It is a marriage that not many works of popular culture have succeeded at in recent memory, including The Witcher 3: Whild Hunt, which simplifies the political bravado of its predecessor to an almost comic level. While by no means a bad game, the storytelling disappointment that Cd Projekt Red's newest Witcher game is in various departments makes it even more obvious after all these years what an utter masterpiece The Assassins of Kings is. Deepest respects to lead writer Sebastian Stępień, who was sorely missed by so many of us in The Wild Hunt. Expand
  42. Dec 3, 2012
    The best game I played since Baldur's Gate 2. This is the only game ever made that comes this close to Baldur's Gate 2 in epicness. Everything is amazing; from storyline, choices, progression, characters, graphics, difficulty, economy... there is NOTHING bad about this game. I'd love to see an RPG where I can create my own character though. That'd be epic epicness. Great game!
  43. Dec 27, 2012
    Realy very impressive RPG game, the only thing that makes me angry, is optimization, its not as good as it could be. But though thtas first game on that engine, i can deal with that
  44. Apr 26, 2015
    This entire series was somewhat of a hidden gem for me. It's got great writing, good characters, and pretty fantastic gameplay.

I will caution anyone getting into it though, it took me about an hour to really start getting invested in it. Might just be me, but if it seems slow going with this or the first one, give it a chance.
  45. Mar 5, 2015
    Simply it was a masterpiece of its own time. Deep and entertaining story, very realistic characters, real oral choices and dilemmas. Great graphics. I have really enjoyed that one. All my hopes now go for the so-long awaited sequel.
  46. Mar 31, 2013
    Truly a memorable experience and will certainly set a standard almost impossible for it's RPG kin to live up to. The game has shed a lot of it's more complex character development mechanics but only to make a more fluid combat experience, and a storyline that is just as immersive the original The Witcher. You are Geralt, you are tenacious, you are driven, and you are gallant.
  47. Apr 1, 2013
    Second part of saga. This one is more innovating, has better fighting and spellcasting system, has longer, nonlinear story and much greater amount od sidequests. World is larger. Graphics are just great.
    This is one of the best games in 2012
  48. Aug 27, 2013
    I gave up on this game. When I approach the edge of a high structure, I expect the character to jump or fall down. Every mission I played was like running in a corridor. I was fighting with the controls, not the enemies. Last but not least, the over-saturated colors completely ruined the immersion for me.
  49. Jul 5, 2014
    Overrated game, looks good, and thats about it.
    really decent fighting, and overall exp. if youre looking for it, i suggest you to look elsewhere.
    i do believe youre going to be disappointed.
  50. Jul 3, 2014
    This is a great, great game in a great, great series. It's hand's down the only modern series that can stand toe to toe with classic RPG's of Infinity engine.
  51. Sep 28, 2014
    Im from Poland so i should rate this game 9/10 but i cant. 7/10 because the story lane is not bad but when you leave the village, you will see a lot of mobs, totaly **** In the book (the book is 999999x better than this game), people dont meet mobs every 10 meters, sometimes people can sleep in the forest and see zero monsters but in the game, mobs are everywhere and not 2 mobs per 200Im from Poland so i should rate this game 9/10 but i cant. 7/10 because the story lane is not bad but when you leave the village, you will see a lot of mobs, totaly **** In the book (the book is 999999x better than this game), people dont meet mobs every 10 meters, sometimes people can sleep in the forest and see zero monsters but in the game, mobs are everywhere and not 2 mobs per 200 yards but spam of mobs.
    You should read the books "The Witcher", by Andrzej Sapkowski. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher
  52. May 19, 2011
    Okay first off i love this game. It is fantastic in almost every level, despite i few problems under the hood (freezing and what not). That is not why i am posting though. This whole riot between DA and witcher fans needs to stop. Both are fantastic franchices. I would consider myself more of a witcher fan. Witcher fans: We owe a lot to Bioware, if it werent for them and there fantasticOkay first off i love this game. It is fantastic in almost every level, despite i few problems under the hood (freezing and what not). That is not why i am posting though. This whole riot between DA and witcher fans needs to stop. Both are fantastic franchices. I would consider myself more of a witcher fan. Witcher fans: We owe a lot to Bioware, if it werent for them and there fantastic Auora engine the witcher might not have even seen the light of day. And dragon age fans: Just face the facts and accept that Bioware did not follow up with the sequel all you hardcore fans deserved. I'm not trying to hate but it felt like they took out a lot of things that made the first one so great. So let's just end this. We are all gamers and need to stick together on stuff like this. How about we just love both franchices. Expand
  53. May 20, 2011
    I am very much a fan of the first Witcher, and I am glad to say the second game in the series is nothing short of astonishing in nearly every aspect. It's clear from the beginning that the developers took special care in analyzing the problems with the first game and made effort into either eliminating or reducing those problems. The story is very intricate and complex. There is a plethoraI am very much a fan of the first Witcher, and I am glad to say the second game in the series is nothing short of astonishing in nearly every aspect. It's clear from the beginning that the developers took special care in analyzing the problems with the first game and made effort into either eliminating or reducing those problems. The story is very intricate and complex. There is a plethora of pivotal choices that you must make in the game that feel very important and changes the direction of the game drastically, unlike other RPGs that provide black and white choices that ultimately means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Side stories tie in very well with the main plot, and give extra incentive to complete them as even they can change the outcome of some of the main quests by providing important information. One problem however is because the story is so complex it throws a lot of characters and major players at you very quickly, making it hard at times to keep everything together and trying to make sense of what's going on as you unravel several mysteries at once. But it also provides replay value most other single player games simply can't match. The graphics engine can bring even some of the best PCs to their knees. Even if you have to put it on the lowest settings, thanks to the beautiful art style it's hardly a problem. While a lot of modern games being released have simple color schemes and bland, dead environments, this is not so in The Witcher 2. The game is rich with colors, foliage is in abundance, environments are busy and aren't repeated to the point you want to gouge your eyes out, NPCs are going about their daily lives, and with weather patters and full day/night cycles the world feels alive and approaches Crysis level beauty. One of the biggest problems I think the game suffers from when it comes to graphics is even if you have a pretty medium level PC even on the lowest settings it can get a little bogged down. Maybe the engine could be optimized a little better, but this is a minor complaint as, again, even on lowest settings the world is beautiful.

The soundtrack is amazing. Music is always appropriate for the situation and area where it plays, complimenting the gorgeous environments well. There's really nothing wrong at all with the soundtrack; everything is great.

Character customization is off the chart. I finished the game at about level 35 and I had barely touched most of the talent points available. There are a lot of combinations that can be done for specific play styles without compromising your character to the point you have trouble with fights. However, starting out you won't necessarily know this, so it can be a little intimidating because of the shear amount you can pick from, worrying you could be picking the "wrong" one or mutegen which could harm you down the road. The combat is significantly improved from the first game. It takes on an Arkham Asylum style combat system and it works great. Fighting multiple opponents can be quite challenging though until you get a few specific talents to help you with that, and even then tougher opponents make it difficult. Enemy variation is above average, with a lot of them requiring vastly different tactics to take down than others. Effective use of traps is required for some fights even on normal difficulty. Some of the mini bosses/main bosses suffer from being either extremely difficult bordering on impossible (or maybe I just sucked at that point) to nearly trivial (or I was just particularly effective at that point). Either way, boss difficulty can vary greatly. Also, the game doesn't do much hand holding, so some of those boss fights require a lot of trial and error to figure out what you need to do to finish the fight.

I've heard easy is too easy and normal is too hard. I haven't tried easy, but I found normal to be just challenging enough for my taste. Next play through I'm going to go for hard mode and I'm expecting it to be very, very challenging. I'll probably never try insane mode just because I know I'd die at some very stupid point long into the game and it wouldn't do anything but irritate me. Anyway, there are difficulty settings for everyone, so find what works for you and enjoy.

One last note. Installation was the most PAINFUL EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER GONE THROUGH IN MY GAMING CAREER. CRC error on my gaming PC. Tried copying disc 1 on 2 other computers and used an external DVD drive and they all had the same problem. Finally borrowed my friends laptop and it was able to read the disk. There's no excuse for the disc being unreadable by 4 out of 5 drives!!! Only reason I got it on a DVD and not digital download was because I wanted the CE version and all the swag, but this has taught me to never, ever buy a PC game that isn't digital download ever again, no matter what.
  54. Aug 8, 2011
    I really must congratulate CDprojekt they have done an outstanding job. This is definitely the best game I have ever played. The graphics made me spend hours wandering in the forests of Flotsram ( I admit they are so good I actually got lost in the forest), the combat is what all RPGs should have, not the DPS type but actual swordsmanship you strike, you duck or you die. The other aspectsI really must congratulate CDprojekt they have done an outstanding job. This is definitely the best game I have ever played. The graphics made me spend hours wandering in the forests of Flotsram ( I admit they are so good I actually got lost in the forest), the combat is what all RPGs should have, not the DPS type but actual swordsmanship you strike, you duck or you die. The other aspects of traps, bombs, signs, potions and oils etc are also a welcome addition to the complexity of battle ( I was getting frustrated with the mindless consolized games that are coming out of late with dummed down combat, no need to state names DA2 you know yourselves) And last but not least the story just wraps it all up into one amazing spectacle of brilliance. Expand
  55. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 kicked every other RPG's butt so hard they broke the time space continuum and disappeared into another universe, the trashbin universe. I had trouble with the combat at first, but I just failed. Got everything under control now. Everything about this game is great.
  56. May 18, 2011
    Combat: You feel vulnerable. Some people dislike that (generally people that enjoy super-streamlined games), but to me it adds not only a sense of skill and challenge but makes the world actually feel as dangerous as it should. You don't just slash through things, its both tactical and reflexive. Contrary to what people who clearly are very novice in combat have said, you don't have toCombat: You feel vulnerable. Some people dislike that (generally people that enjoy super-streamlined games), but to me it adds not only a sense of skill and challenge but makes the world actually feel as dangerous as it should. You don't just slash through things, its both tactical and reflexive. Contrary to what people who clearly are very novice in combat have said, you don't have to "run away", you dodge and circle, only retreating to reposition yourself when needed. It's undoubtedly more active and engaging than that of other typical rpgs like the elder scrolls series and dragon age.
    Character Development: More streamlined than some, less streamlined than others. However, there's no optimal build tedium and you get to play the style you want so there's little to complain about.
    Storyline: From a summarized synopsis the overall story is pretty typical and nothing new, however on the "micro" level (as you play through) the way it unfolds and the subplots that develop are at least pretty good if not very good.
    Overall: It's closer to open ended than linear and there's a ton of choice which affects gameplay far more than in any other rpg that comes to mind. Content wise, I'd say it's pretty stacked and can't think of a single area where it gets skimpy. All in all, in comparison to the generic, overly simplistic games that dominate the market now with cash being the primary concern of developers, this game is the best grab I've made in a very long time.
  57. May 23, 2011
    I'll try to make it short. If you enjoyed the first Witcher game, you will like this one.
    The story is interesting and you have choices where your adventure leads you, who will be your friends and who will be your enemies adding more replay value. Dialogue is one of the finest parts of the game, although the voice acting can change a bit. At one point your main character might be whispering his lines for no reason and the character talking to him yells his lines back.
    Combat is fun and engaging until up to a level in swordsmanship where you get to the point you can just buttonsmash enemies to a wall and not letting them even lift their sword in time until they recoil back in pain. It's quite balanced as when the enemy hits you even in the easiest difficulty they usually take 1/10th of your maximum health. Multiple enemies is where the combat is most fun, although the game suffers from awkward targeting system. Until you level your character with skill that lets you hit enemies who you aren't targeting with a sword, you'll be trying to hit the enemy in front of you only to make your hits go through that enemy because the enemy behind the enemy you are trying to hit is selected as target.

The games UI is probably the worst aspect of the game. You pick up enchantments early in the game even though you get armor that actually can be enchanted later in the game, but I might have missed something. The UI also doesn't tell you how to drink potions or how to throw throwing knives and bombs. Meditation and drinking of potions is only talked in passing in small tutorial window and if you run too far away from the trigger point or accidentally cancel it you won't be told about the button to get access to it. There isn't control re-arrangement that can be accessed from in game where you could check the buttons and re-arrange them. To this moment I don't know how to throw knives or bombs and I'm currently far in the 2nd chapter.

It's an okay game though if Witcher 1 was something you enjoyed. It's more polished than the first game, yet the game designers should have hired crack team of playtesters to polish out all the issues with the UI and combat.
  58. May 21, 2011
    this game is absolutely undeniably amazing. Blows dragon age 2 out of the water easily this is what an RPG should look like and Im happy that I finally have something good to waste my time with. This definately is worth a full nerd boner.
  59. May 18, 2011
    Wow, just wow.After we got served total failure under (false ) name of DA 2 , we now get true RPG and not some sim dating wannabee RPG click fest based on Twilight for puberty kids

Assassin of the kings? If kings are Bioware and DA 2 then it's so true. CDP don't get sold to EA like some others and keep up the good job...
  60. May 25, 2011
    Okay, so here is how it is. This game is about as close to perfect as it gets. On Gameplay...
    Combat is smooth as silk and very fast paced, and is actually fun compared to the QTE click-fest that was the first game. Changing (magic) signs on the fly with the new system makes for some intresting gameplay as well. The game places a high amount of importance of positioning for an attack, and using potions to prepare for a battle beforehand is useful however, not absolutly necessary. As a little note, the finishing moves are sweet to watch and the group finishers are even cooler.

On Graphics...
    Amazing. Some flaws exist when the characters (especially minor ones) are talking and the mouth movements appear to be a little "off". However the character models, environments, and overall animation make this game one of the most beautiful out there today. (Running on a 560ti+Q9650 with no problems @ a solid 60fps most the time)

On story...
    I won't spoil anything here but one thing did bother me, this was the "paraphrased" speech choices. about 25% of the time i unintentionally choose something that i thought meant something else. (Probably my own stupidity but i feel that the game could have been a little clearer on it.)

A minor note i want to make here with the game itself.
    Installation was a hassle for me. Apparently because of the overall size of the DVD (8g) i did have a problem because my DVD drive was unable to install the program past 75%. Again, not CDPROJEKT's fault but if you are using an older DVD drive, (even one that can read dual layer dvds) you may encounter a few problems. Also, registering the CD key was a pain. You may need to install the "offline" patch to get your game to work. (CD key will be entered and then nothing will happen, and you keep repeating the process, over and over...lol) So if you are a fan of RPG's, Interesting Stories, Fast-paced Game play, and seeing Triss naked i would definitely pick up the Witcher 2 (even if you haven't played the first one)
  61. Jun 7, 2011
    This game is amazing! It is what I had hoped Dragon Age 2 would be (i.e. a classic PC RPG with all of today's bells and whistles). If you haven't read the books or played the enhanced edition of the first game in the series, GO DO THAT NOW!! They are incredible! The only downside is that some moron decided Americans didn't read (I know right?? *chuckle chuckle*) and they SKIPPED THE 2NDThis game is amazing! It is what I had hoped Dragon Age 2 would be (i.e. a classic PC RPG with all of today's bells and whistles). If you haven't read the books or played the enhanced edition of the first game in the series, GO DO THAT NOW!! They are incredible! The only downside is that some moron decided Americans didn't read (I know right?? *chuckle chuckle*) and they SKIPPED THE 2ND BOOK!!!! That makes me SO angry!!! But anyways, just read the summaries on the wiki before you read the 2nd novel I guess. But whatever you do, support these people. They are amazing. Expand
  62. May 31, 2011
    Game is really awesome. Its like a next book, and i hope to see Yeniffer in the next chapter :) Double 2nd chapter is something i never see before in games like this, shokin' and great. This is just a deadly blow for BiowarEA where money comes first, and users 10th at least
  63. May 17, 2011
    Best RPG 2011. Im sure about it. Good combat, nonlinear storyline, timekilling gameplay. Interacive movies by BioWare is suxx. First RPG funs hope in long long time. Thanks for this passion
  64. May 17, 2011
    This game is great so far, only a few hours into the game so far and I can tell already that this may be my rpg of the year. Any way I wish we didn't have to worry about childish tactics by other rpg makers, ratting games down and advertising their own games on user review sites like this one.
  65. May 30, 2011
    Absolutely awesome game from CD Project. My Game of the Year 2011 beside Portal 2. It is the best RPG on the market. The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age Origins are fantastic. Dragon Age 2 is ****
  66. May 21, 2011
    This game is amazing. Story, graphic, sounds, atmosphere - all top notch! CDProject got a new fan in me and I actually can't seem to find anything negative I would put my finger out. A strong GOTY candidate for sure.

Don't know what's up with the trolling here. How can anyone give this game a score below 9 is beyond me. Scared producers from EaoWares?
  67. May 17, 2011
    Best game, best world, best epic hero and best combat system forever, this is The Witcher 2 ! Definitely Game of the Year 2011 in RPG and Best Game category!
  68. May 22, 2011
    Short answer: Probably the best game of the year(at least until Skyrim).

Short answer: Probably the best game of the year(at least until Skyrim).

Longer Answer: I played through it once so far. And absolutely love it. The graphic is amazing, even if i had to use low graphics due to crappy computer the game still looked very nice. Even if there are some flaws in the game the positive side heavily outweighs the negative side. After completing the game i felt quite satisfied. Sure it could have gone on for longer and there are still questions unanswered, but none of those have really anything to do with the main story in the game, even if some are a result of the main story.
    A great thing with witcher2 is that it's made for adults. nothing is censored(unless you live in Australia). Wish more developers would go on that path, it sort of puts the realism at a higher level than in any other game.

A both good and bad thing in the witcher2 is that the game doesn't hold you hand and show you what to do. Some things you have to figure out yourself. It's not dumbed down and therefor can feel a bit challenging. But that is all the genre is about also.
    Lets hope this is not the last we've seen of the witcher. The Witcher2 felt like a very welcomed game, specially after the big letdown after Dragon Age2.
  69. Jun 18, 2011
    Awesome Game. Very Well created. I just wish Act 3 would have been longer.The Action scenes are very intense. The environment is extensive allowing you to explore a lot.
  70. May 17, 2011
    I have been playing this game for 3 hours now and all i can say is, get this game it is a masterpiece. The combat first is hard to get by, especially if you jump directly into the hardest tutorial mission (the tutorial is part of the game and non linear) but after a while you will get a hang of it. This game really feels like the developers went their way instead of doing market researchI have been playing this game for 3 hours now and all i can say is, get this game it is a masterpiece. The combat first is hard to get by, especially if you jump directly into the hardest tutorial mission (the tutorial is part of the game and non linear) but after a while you will get a hang of it. This game really feels like the developers went their way instead of doing market research on how to appeal the masses, they simply did their game and it shows off. What we have here is a masterpiece on every angle. Those who complain about bugs, after three hours of gameplay, I have had not a single one.
    All I can say is this game deserves a 10.
    Sorry to say that but if you design a game by focus groups you lose if you design a game with the heart you win. Best RPG since Planetscape Torment - period.
  71. Jun 6, 2011
    A great game, perfect... no. The graphics are beautiful, the story engrossing and you get to see the impact of your decisions. Those choices influence how you play in Act 2 and 3. Very well done.
  72. May 17, 2011
    The witcher 2 will be RPG of the year 2011.. The Witcher 2 is best game i ever played in a very long time. Beautyfull graphics, nonlinear and addictive story, innovative combat system, great dialog, DRM free, free DLC, only 49$ compared to some others *cough* DA2 *cough* that charge $60 but less than 1/2 the quality.
  73. May 17, 2011
    I am amazed by the pure solitude of every aspect of this game. I was so surprised by how good it was, when I was watching the Dev diaries that CDprojekt was releasing I was a little scared they were too confident. But the weren't, they knew they had an amazing game. The battle system is intuitive and the graphics are top notch. I fell so in love with the hard decisions of the game becauseI am amazed by the pure solitude of every aspect of this game. I was so surprised by how good it was, when I was watching the Dev diaries that CDprojekt was releasing I was a little scared they were too confident. But the weren't, they knew they had an amazing game. The battle system is intuitive and the graphics are top notch. I fell so in love with the hard decisions of the game because they were hard. I have never paused in a game and waited 5 to 10 minutes before I could decide. The only bad reviews on this game are just butt hurt Bioware fans that could are jealous because Bioware didn't do it first. A+ my only upset with the game is that Skyrim is coming out, so it has a hard road to be RPG of the year but if anything this will be second if not first. Expand
  74. May 24, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an amazing RPG. It's certainly been a while since I couldn't put a game down! I definitely recommend this game to all mature RPG fans.
  75. May 25, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is one of the most unique RPGs of the past five years. At first glance you might think it's copying Bioware's tried-and-true formula for action-RPGs, but the details of the game quickly reveal that it deviates quite far from anything Bioware had made recently.

The most obvious difference is the difficulty. This is a game that stubbornly refuses to hold your hand. It's hard, and it doesn't do much to help you figure out how to master it, either. The prologue is, for many, a baptism through fire. Even Demon's Souls, well-known for its difficulty, went to great extents to help the player master the system.

However, the more I've played TW2, the more I've realized that its approach is not a flaw but a feature--but it's a feature that not everybody is going to like. But that's okay. Not every game has to appeal to every gamer. TW2 is one of those exceptionally rare big budget blockbuster games that deliberately restricts its target audience. If you don't like to play games patiently, methodically, with a lot of trial and error and more than an ordinary share of failure, then you aren't going to like TW2. But if you get giddy at the thought of conquering a particularly tough encounter after 20 tries thanks to nothing but your sheer ingenuity and skill, then there's 40 hours of absolutely engrossing content here waiting for you.

TW2 is largely iterative rather than innovative, but small glimmers of new brilliance shine through in a few spots. In particular, you will never be asked to kill X instances of creature Y, an old and terrible trope of the RPG genre. Instead, you will be asked to *exterminate* a local species from the area. Most interestingly is that you won't be told how to do it. This was one of my favorite parts of the game, as it actually makes you feel like a witcher (a "professional monster hunter"). You'll need to read literature about the species, scout out underground tunnels they use for hiding and transportation, destroy all entrances to said tunnels, find nests, destroy cocoons, and kill queens responsible for breeding. And you won't be told very much of this. You'll actually have to explore the dense and dizzying forests on your own, looking for nests without a waypoint.

Unlike Bioware's recent offerings, TW2 doesn't have much backstory. Whereas Dragon Age: Origins was extremely rich on backstory and extremely thin on "frontstory," TW2 swaps this: it doesn't concern you much with the past, and the dialogue all focuses on the present predicament. There isn't a codex with hundreds of entries on fictitious wars. While I think this approach worked quite well in Mass Effect, it didn't chime at all with the atmosphere of Dragon Age for me. I'm much more satisfied with TW2's strategy of simply throwing you into the world, letting the history of the region seep out naturally from character interaction.

In summary, TW2 is a fantastic and difficult offering that won't appeal to everyone. It's become one of my personal favorites--but you might feel quite differently depending on how you react to its totally serious lack of "hand-holding."
  76. Jun 4, 2011
    This game, not only the best graphical polished RPG out there for the moment, but it features some really polished combat and rpg systems too! All dialogue is narrated which really works immersive, there are dozens of side-quests you can opt to do or not do, which changes the story after you leave that certain area. A perfect example would be: A peasant asked you to get rid of some hugeThis game, not only the best graphical polished RPG out there for the moment, but it features some really polished combat and rpg systems too! All dialogue is narrated which really works immersive, there are dozens of side-quests you can opt to do or not do, which changes the story after you leave that certain area. A perfect example would be: A peasant asked you to get rid of some huge gnolls that keep raiding his farm, he suspects they have setup a nest in a nearby underground cave. You can chose to eradicate the nest, or skip the quest. Once you finish the chapter you'll notice that your choice actually mattered. The adult atmosphere is also truly unique in The Witcher 2, beware the mothers against! Expand
  77. Mar 20, 2012
    I cannot say anything bad about this game. Great story, great graphics, awesome combat, etc. I would definitely recommend this game to any rpg fan. The Witcher 2 thumbs up!
  78. May 23, 2011
    As a huge crpg fan i must say this is the best game I played in years. First things first: finally mature game, meant for adults to play and enjoy it, so there are no fairy-tales victories that make everyone happy, no clearly defined good or evil, instead, there are some serious moral dilemmas and real human emotions, not polished cartoonish crap publishers seem to favor nowadays. In fact,As a huge crpg fan i must say this is the best game I played in years. First things first: finally mature game, meant for adults to play and enjoy it, so there are no fairy-tales victories that make everyone happy, no clearly defined good or evil, instead, there are some serious moral dilemmas and real human emotions, not polished cartoonish crap publishers seem to favor nowadays. In fact, the only recent game that gets somewhat close to Witcher2 in this respect must be New Vegas; but it is not as good still (IMHO). Witcher2 is true dark fantasy, very enjoyable and immersive, and the story matches the mood perfectly. Quests are rather detailed, they fit the world perfectly and are meant to enhance your gameplay, not to stretch the game for another 40 minutes while you search for some stupid collectibles.

Second, this is stunningly beautiful game. The forests are magnificent, the cities are realistic almost to the point where you can feel the scents. Facial animation is not very advanced, but VO just makes up for that.

Third, combat and QTEs are very engaging and fun. Even arm-wrestling! Sword-fights are especially good - damn hard, fast-paced, and extremely fun. It takes some time to adjust to controls at first and if you're used to point-and-click type of gameplay you're going to be dying a LOT. It never seemed to slow me down, though - once you get the grip of the basics, battles are never tiresome, never boring, always somewhat different from your previous attempts and other battles, so you will NEVER find yourself redoing the same routine again.

4-th: the music is good. The martial sequence makes me want to take the sword in my own hands.

In all truthfulness, there are some minor issues - for example, when Geralt runs and turns, the animation switches way too sharply, it is not exactly smooth. Not every quest marker is placed accurately, but then again, the old games we all love had no quest markers at all.

Performance-wise I had no problems with the game so far (GOG.com version). The only thing I had to turn off was ubersampling, but then - I don't have the latest graphic card, and my i7 CPU is only 2.6 MHz

Less biased person would probably give this game score of 9, but me - I'm just love the world and am willing to overlook some minor issues.
  79. Jun 12, 2014
    Bugs! Still there even in the latest fully patched edition from GOG.
    Bugs! Still there even in the latest fully patched edition from GOG.
    A very good looking and potentially very enjoyable experience which is turned into an exercise in tedium by significant bugs. Specifically, there are times in combat, apparently at random, when the keys do not respond. The combat system ought to be amazing - simple but tough to master. But just as you start to get used to it and you start thinking about tactics, and it's all looking interesting, your character stands there and does nothing while you hammer the keys. ARGH!
    And the crafting system which you start to enjoy and you make yourself a nice new sword and you forgive the game for its combat bug, and you finally win a big fight, and then your sword has disappeared! And it isn't part of the plot... it's another bug. Double ARGH!
    I realise that games such as this are massive undertakings, but bugs like this really spoil the potential enjoyment and turn what is meant to be entertainment into a dull exercise in repetition.
  80. May 30, 2011
    Good: Storyline, graphics & sound, FUN, choices have a major effect
    Bad: Sometimes buggy, controls are clumsy
    Good: Storyline, graphics & sound, FUN, choices have a major effect
    Bad: Sometimes buggy, controls are clumsy

Overall this is a fun & enjoyable game despite some issues. Great replay value. The game starts out very difficult (on "Hard" mode) but it eases up as you start to develop your character's abilities. So far the most enjoyable game of '11. Does not give you childish & unrealistic dialogue options like DA2. Your choices have a big impact on the game which is what RPGs are all about. Moral choices are not necessarily good or evil, just you deciding what is the best or most realistic decision for Geralt to make.

Areas needing most improvement: technical issues (a bug affecting mouse controls happens sometimes), some lag and frame rate issues, combat controls leave something to be desired.
  81. Jun 18, 2011
    Nice game, but boss fights are ridiculously OP vs the regular fights. And use some stupid mechanics so that it's really a fight vs the game engine more than a fight vs the boss. Frustrating in many places, lots of things require that you use a cheatsheet on the internet (ie obtain spoilers) just to get through the plot and progress the damn game. They managed to create some very good AI inNice game, but boss fights are ridiculously OP vs the regular fights. And use some stupid mechanics so that it's really a fight vs the game engine more than a fight vs the boss. Frustrating in many places, lots of things require that you use a cheatsheet on the internet (ie obtain spoilers) just to get through the plot and progress the damn game. They managed to create some very good AI in open world situations (people milling about etc - they actually seemed to have lives of their own) - the boss AI = not so good. Gave it a 6 as game itself is really cool, and did make me want to finish it (more out of determination not to let some piece of fool coding beat me more than anything else) but the frustrating elements means I would not recommend this game to anyone I know, least of all people who aren't familar with frustrating rpg mechanics. Even I hated it most of the time, so wouldn't want to pass the curse onto people I like. Tl;dr: Excellent exercise in world-building; do not let these people near boss fight AI coding again. Expand
  82. May 17, 2011
    This game is really amazing, can we please not have people naming themselves from my favorite developer company (BioWare) and making the company look bad. Most likely you are not in the company and if you were a gamer there is no way a game like this would be rated with a 0. Give an honest review, both of them have only given 1-3 reviews overall.
  83. May 21, 2011
    With Portal 2 this year I was pretty sure that I wouldn't have to think about which game is the best ever made...but then came the Witcher 2.
    I was really sceptic because Dragon Age 2 was so bad that I lost my interest in RPG's but I tried the Witcher 2 and it blew me away.
    The characters are all interesting and or funny, the graphic and interface is genius, the combat is very challenging but still fun and the story makes you play without a break as you want to know what will happen. A perfect 10.0
    ALL quests are interesting and fun no matter how small, a masterpiece.
  84. Jun 12, 2011
    To be honest with you guys, I am not a huge RPG fan, but this is just........special. Simply jaw-dropping graphics with amazing draw distance, environments and atmosphere, challenging difficulty, great combat, immersive story, engaging characters, and deep RPG mechanics/ customization. This is the game that does everything beautifully. If you are a RPG fan, you are going to admire thisTo be honest with you guys, I am not a huge RPG fan, but this is just........special. Simply jaw-dropping graphics with amazing draw distance, environments and atmosphere, challenging difficulty, great combat, immersive story, engaging characters, and deep RPG mechanics/ customization. This is the game that does everything beautifully. If you are a RPG fan, you are going to admire this without a doubt. If you are not a RPG fan, this will turn you into one. Job well done, CD Projekt. You have a created a title that will remembered and praised for its remarkableness. Expand
  85. Aug 4, 2012
    The game suffers from poor controls, feels like a bad port whereas this wasnt the case but it sill feels like real **** controls. Combat is clunky much like combat in AC games. The world and game is so linear its maddening. You literally run back and forth the entire game. Inventory is a pain in the arse to manage with all the flower picking this game wants you to do. Its really a pissThe game suffers from poor controls, feels like a bad port whereas this wasnt the case but it sill feels like real **** controls. Combat is clunky much like combat in AC games. The world and game is so linear its maddening. You literally run back and forth the entire game. Inventory is a pain in the arse to manage with all the flower picking this game wants you to do. Its really a piss poor game with **** story is nothing great either, and why does the witcher MUMBLE the whole game. Pass on this one, not worth your time! Expand
  86. May 21, 2011
    One of the worst games I have ever played. It only works on the low spec, despite having a really good computer, half of the tips are completely useless since they show up after you have performed the action and the overall game experience is really ****

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
  87. May 18, 2011
    I needed about 5 minutes of playing The Witcher 2 to realize CD Projekt have outdone themselves. Great atmosphere, interesting plot and witty dialogue come together to produce a truly addictive game.
  88. Nov 23, 2011
    For me, its not only GOTY, its frakin Game Of A Decade. I've finished TW2 4 times so far and still i have desire for more. I've been Sapkowski's fan since his first short story release in some fantasy magazine, so prolly thats a huge part of my impression. For me, even Tolkien can go to kindergarten with his childish stories compared to Sapkowsi's work (thats exactly what i though whenFor me, its not only GOTY, its frakin Game Of A Decade. I've finished TW2 4 times so far and still i have desire for more. I've been Sapkowski's fan since his first short story release in some fantasy magazine, so prolly thats a huge part of my impression. For me, even Tolkien can go to kindergarten with his childish stories compared to Sapkowsi's work (thats exactly what i though when i've read "The Witcher" and "A Road Your not coming back from" for the first time back in that 1988 or something). Graphic wise, theres no competition for that game. Looks absolutely stunning. Like i've said, GOTY is not enough for that title. Expand
  89. May 18, 2011
    A masterpiece of RPG genre. CD Projekt delivered everything they promised and more, one of the best RPG's i have played in recent years. Definitely a game of the year 2011 candidate.

Shame the score is being destroyed by some idiots.
  90. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. I think it is the best RPG in 2011. interesting story, great adventure, good dialogues and amazing graphics, very good music and sounds. World in game is deep, dark and brutal.To be honest - game has a few, small defects but it does not affect in pleasure from game. I recommend the witcher 2 all fans of RPG in particular fans of first part of the Witcher. Expand
  91. May 18, 2011
    I am sure that the Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings will be RPG of the year 2011. Amazing graphics, great and nonlinear story, nice dialogs, tactical and innovative combat system are just a few of many advantages of The Witcher 2:Assassins of Kings. For sure each money are worth to spend on this game.
  92. May 17, 2011
    Wow. What else can be said? Phenomenal graphics, excellent dialog, bits of dark humor, superb combat system, tons of items, skills, and abilities...Just a complete and total upgrade over the first. I would have given the first a solid 7.5. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away. The Witcher 2, however, is one of the greatest RPGs I've ever played. I was anxiously waiting for Skyrim to get myWow. What else can be said? Phenomenal graphics, excellent dialog, bits of dark humor, superb combat system, tons of items, skills, and abilities...Just a complete and total upgrade over the first. I would have given the first a solid 7.5. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away. The Witcher 2, however, is one of the greatest RPGs I've ever played. I was anxiously waiting for Skyrim to get my RPG fix but the Witcher 2 has completely changed that. Can't say enough about this fantastic game. If you're on the fence, do not hesitate. This will be a challenger for Game of the Year without a doubt. Expand
  93. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most immersive cRPG games ever made. If your are fan of Dark Fantasy Worlds, you must own it. I didn't have so much fun with RPG game since the last Witcher or even better .... Planescape Torment!!! Expand
  94. May 17, 2011
    The best cRPG i have ever played!! Beautiful graphic, epic history, perfect sound. In my opinion the best game of 2011. There is nothing more to say.
  95. May 17, 2011
    Great game, the translation wasnt the best, but everything else was great, good story, lost of locations to explore, the combat was good, and let me tell you, this game is very easy on the eyes, and for the people complaining about their machines not running the game well, well thats too bad, get a high end PC or stick with console gaming.

Bioware needs to take a look at what a real

Bioware needs to take a look at what a real studio can do when they put their mind to it, this makes DA2 look shameful in almost every category.
  96. May 17, 2011
    I had just finished Dragon Age 2 like 4 days ago, and i believed to be "great" but after playing throughout half of The witcher 2, don't take me wrong, but i just can't go back, the graphics and artistic design are too impressive, and the game play on par or better, although a sightly difficult game (to be on normal difficult setting) and very demanding on the computer, can't complain theI had just finished Dragon Age 2 like 4 days ago, and i believed to be "great" but after playing throughout half of The witcher 2, don't take me wrong, but i just can't go back, the graphics and artistic design are too impressive, and the game play on par or better, although a sightly difficult game (to be on normal difficult setting) and very demanding on the computer, can't complain the graphics are superb, the story so far so good, just waiting for the credits to roll out but that won't change my perception of the game which i believed to be not just great but nothing short of "AMAZING". Expand
  97. May 17, 2011
    Great game with a great storyline, amaizing graphics, interesting characters, good combat.

one of the best RPG games i have ever played.

screw DA 2 that game is not even worth to download its the worst pile of sh..t i have ever played and stop lowering the ratings u bioware pricks
  98. May 18, 2011
    One of the best games ive have the privilege to play in a long time, this is the future of gaming. Well done in taking RPG to the next level. Kind of weird to see so many weirdos from BSN here rating a great game down, just feeling butthurt i guess cause DA2 was a flop.
  99. May 18, 2011
    I am trying to think of an accurate way to describe this game, which has completely blown me away. How about the best RPG I have played since Planescape Torment? I hope that says enough.
  100. May 20, 2011