8.4

1. May 17, 2011
    An AMAZING game. Challenging, beautiful, adult, and engaging. Everything about the game, from the swordplay to the dialog is brilliantly crafted. Add in the fact that it is DRM free off of GOG, and you have a game that is set to bring an overwhelming positive change to gaming as a whole. Well done CD Projekt!
  2. May 18, 2011
    A Beautiful Game.
    Scenery, atmosphere and the rich colours are beautiful. Story is all engrossing(decisions, decisions). Interesting gritty fleshed out characters. Great combat. Great game.
  3. May 17, 2011
    Definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Amazing story, compelling characters, incredible graphics and great battle mechanics. Congratulations CD Project RED - You've done great job making most immersing RPG ever.
  4. May 17, 2011
    Created this account just to counter M_stanndard, a EA/Bioware employee. While I have only played the Witcher 2 for a couple of hours, I can already tell it is at least a 7 on 10 BARE MINIMUM. Therefore, I am giving it a 10, since mr Stanndard's 0 and my 10 will still only average to a 5, which is way lower than what the game deserve.
  5. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What I can tell ? This game is great for me. Dialogs, combat system, story, animations, graphics. On my old PC i can play with high details. Optimization is great. For me, game is candidate for Game of the Year. I think it can be one of the BEST PC game EVER. Expand
  6. May 17, 2011
    Beats the crap out of Dragon Age 2. This is the way sequels should be made - bigger, prettier and generally awesomer. The story is great, the characters are interesting and cut-scenes are breathtaking. In comparison with The Witcher the graphics were HIGHLY improved, on the highest possible settings making it the prettiest RPG ever made. it is hard (even on the Normal settings) and challenging, but not frustrating with the new (more arcade) style of fighting. I won't say it is only worth playing - it is worth buying instantly !

BioWare, better learn from this and make Mass Effect 3 a kickass game or you will lose the crown of the best cRPG makers.
  7. May 17, 2011
    Absolutely stunning, movie-like experience. The game looks gorgeous even on low graphics settings. Pacing is good and story is brilliant. GOTY for sure.
  8. May 17, 2011
    It's pretty sad that some people are depraved enough to give this amazing game a 0. Listen, I've been a Bioware fan since Baldur's Gate, and have played all their games since. Pre-ordering a Bioware game used to be standard operating procedure for me until they dumbed down ME2 for the masses. That was the turning point for me, but I still gave them the benefit of the doubt. After DA2, it became clear that this was going to be the new trend: lazy, uninspired, rushed games, over-hyped and marketed to the FPS short attention span crowd.

It actually doesn't surprise me, it makes a lot of sense. Young, hungry companies like CDPR tend to be very passionate, idealistic, and all-or-nothing when it comes to making a name for themselves by putting the best product they can out there to stand out from the established brands. Bioware used to be a company like that, but as time went on the founders got increasingly comfortable with their company's success, and going from being 20-something and trying to make your mark in the world to being 30-something or 40-something with a company to run and a family to support, a mortgage to pay, etc. changes one's priorities. Accepting an offer of hundreds of millions of dollars for that company is pretty much a no-brainer, and I'm sure the people at Bioware were well aware of the consequences of being bought out by a company like EA. Fast forward to today, and we all can see the inevitable results of the EA buyout, except the few deranged hyper-fanboys/employees that are still in denial and giving genuine works of art a 0 rating...smh... Anyways, I'm not hating on Bioware here, just showing some tough love. I don't care who the developer is as long as they put some heart into it and show us RPG fans some love. Time to get it together and stop focusing on whether Shepard should give Garrus a reach around or not.
  9. May 17, 2011
    @ M_Stannard - Dragon Age 2 was terrible, CDProjekt has completely blown that game out of the water with The Witcher 2. This new Witcher is amazing, it brings everything important to an RPG and manages to remain unique. Whereas Dragon Age 2 was clearly rushed and intended to make a quick profit (aimed mostly at BioWare fanbois like Stannard who will buy a terrible game for the brand name), The Witcher 2 exudes passion and love from the studio. Well done CDProjekt, you have earned BioWare's RPG crown. Expand
  10. May 19, 2011
    I' ve just played for about 8 hours without a brake. This game is truly amazing. Why would anyone give a masterpiece like that a 0?I feel sorry for you. Get a life. adfasdfasdfasdf
  11. May 17, 2011
    Best RPG of 2011 for sure (at least untill Skyrim gets released). Story, combat system, new engine, Premium Edition at the cost of a regular game, character animations, sound, are just a few reasons. 100% recommended game. And remember that we get all DLC's for FREE! I wonder if CD Projekt Red will release a new editor soon (Djinni 2?), that would be great for the modding community.

To
    the one that reviewed this game with a 0...
    Bioware must learn from this game, they need to improve a lot since that crappy Jade Empire. DAO was quite good, but not an excellent game (I don't speak about DA2, because it should never existed) and I don't consider that Mass Effect is a roleplaying game...wonder why people keep saying that, it's an action game with some rpg elements, but an action game from the basis (and too similiar to GoW in game mechanics...but that's not the point). By the way, I am myself a BioWare fan because they made the best RPG of all time in pair with Black Isle (Planescape Torment it's algo great), but since NWN their games just keep being dissapointing. And now that EA is in charge...we are all doomed :/
  12. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best RPG for this year, Story is great and nonlinear, choices are great, graphics looks amazing! ,good combat mechanics,Great improvement since Witcher 1, CD Projekt did a great job with this game. Probably one of the best cRPG in history of modern gaming in my opinion

This game is probably GOTY of year 2011 in category of cRPG. Great writing, good combat mechanics, great gameplay whatsoever. Feels like good old cRPGs like Planescape or Baldurs Gate.
  13. May 17, 2011
    This is how you do it. Deep character system? Check Epic story? Check Engaging combat? Check No DRM? Check Same price across regions? Check Free DLC forever? Check CD Projekt is the anti-EA/Bioware...
  14. May 17, 2011
    The most beautiful RPG game EVER. Graphics and audio are just stunning, other developers should learn from CDP how to create a fantastic engine. Another thing is great, mature, involving story. The game is absolutely the most non-linear next gen RPG. When I asked my friend about his progress in the story, it sounded like he played a completely different game! I'm sure I will complete the game 16 times, to see all of the endings. It's a must have for every RPG fan out there, and every PC gamer. Expand
  15. May 17, 2011
    I was looking forward to this game for a long time, had doubts sometimes, but what i saw today morning, blew me away and made my jaw hit the floor. I'm writing this in a short break for a launch, going back soon and wont stop till i pass out, its THAT good. Thank you CDPR, finally a RPG game, not mindless action game with statistics. It works flawlessly on medium settings on my 3 years old pc, and it still looks better than any game i played lately (except metro 2033 and crysis 1) if DA2 got 8+ than TW2 should get at least 30, sadly only 10 is possible. Expand
  16. May 18, 2011
    Great GAME ! Definetly going to buy it straight from gog . Exellent job CD Project ! Damn guys keept it comming ! This will be my 5-th title ever bought ... you know i am from Eastern Europe too :D I own all WOW , Witcher 1, ME1 and ME2 .... BioWARE & EA : you freaking tricked us here in romania with the cerberus codes for ME2 . Never recived any code in the box , just a reply from EA that the copies sold in Romania do not have the code . GG Bioware , you won't see my money anytime soon . Its just painfull that you do not want them. Ohh by the way have a great time tracking the pirates through SSL :P

P.S: To all users that keep saying DA2 it is better than TW2 ..... ..... you got the versions totally wrong. You should edit your posts and say : DA1 it is better than TW1 .. and that it is true :)
  17. May 17, 2011
    This is it, the game worth every penny. After so many faliures on the game market i see light. I see GOTY 2011. And yea, its called The Witcher 2 Assassins Of Kings!
  18. May 17, 2011
    Hugely enjoyable experience so far (5-10 hrs in). Quite a bit more action oriented than I expected, especially in the combat, which took a little while to get used to. And the early Prologue part of the game is really a series of linear action levels. But once it opens up and you can run around exploring towns and solving problems for people this is pure CRPG bliss. Amazingly well made game. Can not recommend it enough for anyone interested in adventure, action or rpg games. The world of the Witcher is a strange mix of a fairly believable gritty european medieval world with magic, elves, dwarves and huge monsters. Expand
  19. May 17, 2011
    This game is very good cRPG. Beautiful locations and graphics, interesting quests, super gameplay and wonderful atmosphere makes it extremely. Polish, good job! :)
  20. May 18, 2011
    Masterpiece. One of the best games ever - engaging, realistic, mature and beautiful. This is how modern RPG should look like.

(I wanted to give it a "9", but when I saw those Bio Ware fanboys/employees/WOMM-guys giving it zeros, I realized that only a score of "10" would be fair).
  21. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Every pc gamer and lover RPG game need this game. CD-Project make a great work. The best RPG game in years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  22. May 17, 2011
    For sure The witcher 2 will be RPG of the year 2011. And it will have big chances to be a best game of year 2011. The Witcher 2 is best game i ever played in a very long time. Beautyfull graphics, nonlinear and addictive story, innovative combat system, great dialogs are just a few of many advantages.
  23. May 17, 2011
    My, is this thing overrated! A good ole' RPG but nothing really new gameplay wise. Visuals hold their own but the story takes itself so damn seriously that it's impossible to enjoy the experience. Oh and it's one of those emo fantasy BS worlds where everything is so medieval England slash Russia it's no longer funny.
  24. May 17, 2011
    Perfect, fantastic and amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  25. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is definitely a pretender for game of the year 2011. Everything in the game is wonderful - nonlinear plot, great characters, compelling story with intrigue in the background. Next important thing is how much CD Projekt Red love players - game is DRM-free and all DLC will be free. With CD Projekt Red it's great to be a pc gamer.
  26. May 17, 2011
    Best RPG i ever played !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  27. May 17, 2011
    This is the best RPG game ever (believe me I am a big RPG fan). CD-PROJECT RED is the new leader in creating such games. This is the firs game where you can actually play as you like, creating a new reality with each decision you make (sic!). I hope I wont blow out of proportion if I say that this game define RPG term. 10 points is way to low. (And last thing: every downloadable content like new adventure, new "sword" or new "armour" will be for free!) Expand
  28. May 17, 2011
    I don't know how M_Stannard could give this game a zero, especially after giving Dragon Age 2 a 10. This game is one of the most impressive games in years. A lot of game companies forget who their customers are and instead seek to fill their pockets. This game is an example of a game where the developers truly care about making a great product. The story is great, the graphics are amazing, the voice acting is phenomenal, and the combat is better than the original. This is a game that once you start, you won't stop until finished. One of the best RPGs in years. I was a fan of the original Dragon Age and I was severely let down by the second. This game had successfully filled the RPG void that DA2 left me with. Expand
  29. May 17, 2011
    One of bests game ive played after a long time, the graphics are amazing, everything is made with passion, so deep and immerse.
    TW1 is good, but TW2 is better in all aspects.
  30. May 17, 2011
    Good game. But unfortunately, only good. Why? The combat system spoiled, and it's hard. Camera where the camera with the shoulder? without it hard to empathize with, and does not interfere with the tree once, during the fight, for example. For just a camera. Not to mention the system of drinking potions. Only in meditation? And where am I, for example, to know what is in front of me and whether I should drink a potion? even on normal difficulty. That fight, kill me and end. Wasted time, and I repeat, does not make sense. And what this sign, shield? For what? I took the first part of the shield and I drank the potion, I fought on, there is simply spoiled senseless. I really do not like it, very disturbing is the fluidity of the game. Too bad. I thought it would be better. 9 gives only because they do not want to specifically penalized, and the game good anyway. Thus, although nine more I write here 8th Expand
  31. May 17, 2011
    This is another level of RPG. Its literally Role playing game, witch real choices. I rely like it. Combat is pretty difficult, but after few hours you will learn. Graphics, and sound is great. I wish for more games like this ;) Game also have DLC system. I have already 2. for free!
  32. May 18, 2011
    Truly amazing game, with amazing graphic and with one of the deepest story ever told for the PC. Absolute must-have for any PC-player who likes mature cRPG. Bioware: on your knees. Watch, learn and beg for forgiveness for what you've done with DA2.
  33. May 17, 2011
    This is the best game I've ever played. Non linear story-line, very diversified and smart quests, fantastic graphics, and amazing dialogs, the combat system is great... This game is simply PERFECT!!!!
  34. May 17, 2011
    Easily the best RPG this generation. If not in the last 10 years. Finally a game made by people who love PC gaming. Go out and buy it, you will not regret it. Game of the year winner right here.
  35. May 17, 2011
    This is amazing game. I am not remember when i play in so excting game.
  36. May 17, 2011
    A real dark and Mature game with awesome graphics, fantastic locations, the characters are complex, and a perfect story with great inmersion, where u have many choices and the game acknowledged them, excellent dialogues and good VA, CD Projekt made this game with the fans on mind making the best cRPG that i have played in years, the free dlc are vey good, NOT a 10 because the combat is a little clumsy in MY opinion but even that u will enjoy this game for many hours, I haven't finished this but a great game a sure nominated to GOTY. Expand
  37. May 17, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant. IMO one of the best cRPG's. I recommend it to everyone who seeks good story, cool characters and awesome graphics too. A "must have" game !!
  38. May 17, 2011
    This game is a textbook example of how to build a excellent RPG. That was enough, to make Bioware fells threatened and make every employ come here and post nonsense. TW2 deepness and complex character and history is only the scratch on the surface, it solid gameplay balanced among sword, magic and interaction(with everything) make the great appeal for the game so you never fell that you have a cheap death or unworthy kill. Don't worry with you die; a lot; you probably going to get the hang of it with time(unless you already started on Extreme and every death is reward if a clean start from the beginning wipe). Expand
  39. May 17, 2011
    Great story, realistic characters, nice graphics, wonderful locations and fun gameplay. Certainly surpasses not only Dragon Age 2 (by far) but Dragon Age 1 and and Mass Effect 2.

40. May 17, 2011
    Brilliant RPG with a well thought out story, refreshing free DLC offered, dedicated developer support and of course the return to one of the best dark and gritty fantasy universes of "The Witcher." Production quality levels are through the roof and the game is actually FUN - I'm thoroughly enjoying all of the different options and opportunities interacting in this living world. This review is based on the initial launch of the game - and I'll admit the game could probably still use another patch to hit "the best" possible level, but knowing CD Projekt Red means we know that this patch is coming very soon. If this game were to get an overhaul like the original game's EE edition it would be unfathomably good, a real 11/10. Keep an eye out for this game it will set the bar for RPGs for quite some time! Expand
  41. May 17, 2011
    Outstanding, extraordinary and awesome game. One of the best games i have ever played, and i have played a lot of games. Don't mind the Bioware drones like M_Stannard they are a huge minority here :)
  42. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing game. Great story, interesting characters nad stunning graphics. Sound track is really impressive. The Witcher 2 has unique atmosphere. Combat system is very demanding at higher difficulty levels. I completely don't understand people who give "0". I definitely recommend this game!!! Expand
  43. May 20, 2011
    This is GOTY for sure.10/10! I dont know why people hate this masterpiece... You need to play in this **** awesome game! Now i just need to wait for tw 3 :(
  44. May 17, 2011
    Well, at the beginning... For all those WHO GAVE 0.0 RATINGS: you are probably Dragon Age II failers or competition. No other explanation to it. I feel sorry for you guys...

Lets start now after little bit of justice done above. Game is a pure MASTERPIECE!!! I can feel a passion creators put in smallest inch of every stone they made and any detail. Passion is the only thing that outstand
    and raises highly above ordinary, common attitude, which is based on profit only... I couldnt resist playing until I finished and I cant resist playing over again. So much possibilities. No simple good/bad choices, very mature, realistic, badass atmosphere.. I got into it so deeply I couldnt notice time passing by...

I literally tasted every second I spent with this game with authentic pleasure... I could even say I got addicted to that game. I will definetely play that game x times more in different styles and choices made.

I am recomanding it at full of my heart!

PS. Sorry for not sophisticated language and spelling mistakes. English is not my native.

Hail CD Project!!!
  45. May 17, 2011
    Witcher 2 is an awesome game. Everything in it is great: world, characters, dialogues and story. Game looks and runs great on many different PCs. This is one of the best rpg I have ever played. You can call Witcher 2 Game of The Year.
  46. May 17, 2011
    It's a really stunning game, fighting system gives a lot of fun (when your character gets stronger, he learns new moves), graphics is amazing, plot is just very good (especially for fans of whole "The Witcher" franchise). Locations are simply beautiful, this game is just epic. By the way it's a shame that you can't delete those comments made by idiots who give The Witcher 2 zero points and Dragon Age II. I understand that you DON'T have to enjoy TW2 but NO GAME deserves 0 points. I hate those trolls. Expand
  47. May 17, 2011
    I am absolutely sickened by all the 0 scores. Utterly ridiculous. Even if you disliked this game and thought it had faults, you cannot score it a 0 and be taken seriously. Had you scored it 5 or 6 and then posted legitimate complaints..then yes. Otherwise, you are a fanboy of Bioware or something and wish to try to damage this game. You won't succeed. This game is incredible. Incredible gameplay, graphics, story (so far), combat..everything. Much improved over TW1 and is the king of the hill right now, easily. Expand
  48. May 17, 2011
    Best RPG i ever played and probably GOTY of year 2011 in category cRPG. Epic story, great gameplay, and amazing graphics. This game show bioware how Dragon age 2 should looks like. Must have
  49. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is what RPGs and PC gaming are all about, this game is a must have for everyone and Iâ
  50. May 17, 2011
    Fantastic games!
    Probably the best RPG in the world ;]
    Games of the Year 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  51. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 10+AwsomeStuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and 10+ Expand
  52. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game looks absolutely fantastic. Best RPG i ever played. The graphics are amazing, everything is made with passion, so deep and immerse. Great game, congratulations to the CDP. 10 Expand
  53. May 17, 2011
    At first I wasn't sure how new tweaked combat would turn out, or even if they could reproduce the excellent story-driven plot of the first game. Now that I've played it for a bit any doubts I've had have been put to rest.
  54. May 17, 2011
    The best game i have ever play. Best storyline, best music, best fighting system, best graphic... And more. I thought first Witcher was very good game, but Assassins of Kings are better in everything.
  55. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best RPG's what I played. What can I said? The Witcher is an awesome!!! Graphics are beauty, music and dialogs are perfect. A lot of comedy situation. And... Triss - this is the tigers love most!
    The Witcher 2 will be the game of the year 2011 - I'm sure!!!
  56. May 17, 2011
    This game is simply amazing. Very captivating story and beautiful graphics. Totally worth its price and more. CDProjekt also promised all future DLCs to be free! What a bargain! This game is worth every penny spent on it and even upgrading your PC just to experience it.

Also, its funny seeing several butthurt fanboys / trolls giving this game 0/10. Don't even read what they write. They
    are full of rubbish =P. Expand
  57. May 17, 2011
    Excellent game, You have to buy it, perfect!, Excellent game, You have to buy it, perfect!, Excellent game, You have to buy it, perfect!, Excellent game, You have to buy it, perfect!
  58. May 17, 2011
    Is M_Stannard another one of BioWares people voting on metacritic? Anyways, this game is super fun and hard. It looks and play amazingly. Some changes are a little awkward at first, like having to meditate before using potions, but you will get the hang of it.
  59. May 17, 2011
    Que jogao!!!
    Fico triste a Bioware entrar so pra negativar o jogo sera que e inveja ?
    eu acho que sim.

To gostanto muito do game o jogo bom mesmo pode comprar mesmo.
  60. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After Planescape: Torment this is absolutely masterpiece. About Dragon Age - it is a good game but... childish with large amount of blood. Now reading Sapkowski's book's about Witcher :)) Expand
  61. May 20, 2011
    what else i can say for witcher 2 other than it is pure perfect? graphics? if you have the rig they are eye blowing (playing at ultra settings myself:P), and you will be happy to see what your beast pc can pull out music? perfect combat? hard yes but rewarding (no more ROARRR I CHARGE YOU DIE NPCs) story? deep and cool (no more I SAVE THE WORLD archetype) main character? geralt is one of the best created characters in the gaming industry (very close or equal to shephard)
    other story related characters? they have their own personallity and seem "real"
    dialogs? funny and mature :P the witcher2 is one of the best games ever created in the cRPG universe :)

thnx CDProjekt keep up the good work :)

ps. buy the game , support developers who respect their customers ;)
  62. May 17, 2011
    Even The Witcher 1 is better than any Dragon Age ever will be. And these guys actually know how to make a worthy sequel. CD Project: Assasins of Bioware
  63. May 17, 2011
    Genial Games! More impressed story, beautiful look, mysterious music & fine characters. Thanks for developer from Poland CD Project Red. One of the most looking game ever.
  64. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very fun and engaging game with lots of action and RPG elements, a must have for every RPG fan or gaming fan for that matters. Definitely a contender for best RPG of the year! And you got to love the hate from all the Bioware lovers. Expand
  65. May 17, 2011
    I can sum up this game by simply calling it a masterpiece. The love the developers have for PC gaming shows so clearly in how the Witcher 2 plays, and I think it will set a new standard for quality RPGs going forward. Keep up the amazing work, CDPR. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for this awesome company.
  66. May 17, 2011
    amazing atmosphere, fantastic dialogue and gameplay. Best RPG since Baldur's Gate
    GOTY 2011.
    Dragon Age I and II, Risen, Two Worlds and others simply are not able to compete with this game!
  67. May 17, 2011
    Amazing game!!. Work that has been done by CD Projekt to give such great entertainment deserves 10. I'm just wondering why there are almost only "10" and just few "0" and nothing between?
  68. May 17, 2011
    The best RPG ever made.. Amazing graphic, stunning story, very deep world. Bioware sucks because they are making accounts only to give 0 to Witcher and 10 to DA2. Everybody knows that DA2 is weak.........
  69. May 17, 2011
    Awesome game. that is all. If you love amazing graphics and great story lines stop reading and go buy this! You should know going in that this game has some steep system requirements! If you have the system to handle it get it! if you have anything less than a nvidia 470 or equivalent it may be time to upgrade.
  70. ion
    May 17, 2011
    It is really hard to point out all qualities of this game because there are that many of them. Magnificent plot and storyline, deep, ambiguous characters, the importance of the choices you make (the choices, let's add, not obvious and not black and white), great minor characters and the gray, bleak yet vivid world in which the real monsters are the human beings. If we add to it marvelous graphics, well-made soundtrack and a demanding gameplay (you really have to use all your equipment and magic skills when facing a tough opponent or a bunch of them) we get one of the most amazing cRPG games in the last decade. The Witcher 2 is the masterpiece and as such, should stand alongside other masterpieces like Baldur's Gate, Fallout 2, KOTOR and Planescape: Torment. I hope that the game will become a huge success not only as a piece of art, but also as a product, so that we'll see more astonishing works from this small studio. Expand
  71. May 17, 2011
    I have actually been enjoying this game so much that I felt compelled to make a metacritic account to express just how GOOD this game is. It is so obvious that this game was developed by a team that actually cares about it's story, it's settings and most importantly it's characters. This is a game built with love and it really makes this game special. I have been playing games for a long time but this is certainly one of the best games I have ever played. If you have the proper rig ( hell go buy a good one just for this game) you must play this game. You will be doing yourself, fellow gamers and independent developers a huge favor. Trust me. Go get it. Expand
  72. May 17, 2011
    First time I post here, but just one thing to say : congratz CDProject, you have done the best RPG, if it is not the best game I ever played. need more, get your time but do more of great game like this one. We buy and we appreciate them.
  73. May 17, 2011
    Well, what I can I say to be different than others already expressed? This is a RPG lesson that must be taken by Bioware and Bethesda in the near future, and I hope they caught it. This is what I call a true branching storyline, offering a fair amount of delayed consequences following your choices. They made it even better than in the first game. Combat, magic and alchemy system are greatly improved as well, making the game chalenging and rewarding. I didn't finished the game yet, but I'm almost there. Expand
  74. May 17, 2011
    Game of the year IMO. This game has awesome graphics even for some older VGA moving plot, fast pace and a pretty challenging combat system. It actually had me going for about 3 hours without even considering to stop. If you're saving up for Fable III, buy this one instead!
    Worth registering to Metacritic just to give it a 10/10
  75. May 17, 2011
    Damn, i hate to say it, but CDR made a better game than i was able to with DA2. Witcher 2 is so much more immersive than any RPG of the last 5+ years. I hated DAO, hence DA2.. Anyway. The atmosphere, the character interactions, the "love scenes," and the combat are masterfully as well as artistically done. Much better than anything i've been able to do between DA2 and Jade Empire.
  76. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is more than I've been expected, and I've been expected awesomes. Dialogue is very well written, amazing artwork, character animation is among the best I've seen , combat is challenging and fun. Game is charming, beautiful, and feels re-playable with some excellent choice and consequence. Expand
  77. May 17, 2011
    this game was a fantastic blend of all things rpg, truly a mind-blowing work of passion from the people at cdp. Keep up the great work(and thank you for the love to the pc crowd!)
  78. May 17, 2011
    A crowning achievement in both development and distribution. Environments are richly colorful as they are beautiful. Combat mechanics are as simply devised as they are complexly augmentative. CD Projekt has certainly outdone themselves in every respect. With this stunning title and sister outfit, GOG.com, the Polish company has cemented themselves in the spotlight and hearts of both modern and classic PC gamers alike. Keep an eye closely on them as they understand their demographic more than any developer today (save only Valve). Expand
  79. May 17, 2011
    Absolutely awesome game. CDPR have outdone themselves with this one.
    One of the most beautiful looking games I've played. This game beats the pants off everything else in it's class.
  80. May 17, 2011
    CD Projekt Red has done it. They have renewed my faith in game developers. The Witcher 2 is the most immersive and masterfully crafted GAME, yet alone RPG I have laid my hands on. It is with great pleasure that I am allowed to give this company money. They deserve every cent.
  81. May 17, 2011
    Okay so take Dragon Age 2, then throw it out, burn it, and imagine from scratch a game that is not only good, but amazing, which is basically the complete polar opposite of Dragon Age 2. Then make that game real, and make it even BETTER, then lace it with gold and coat it in chocolate, and make it taste better than french vanilla ice cream with Reese's hard shell topping on it, but with like no calories and it actually makes you SLIMMER and gives you ABS. Now forget about all of that because no language has any words to describe how good The Witcher 2 is.

To be fair and honest though, the game has a flaw. "Junk" type items can't be filtered out from the rest of your inventory and sold off easily.
  82. May 17, 2011
    Well, at the beginning... For all those WHO GAVE 0.0 RATINGS: you are probably frustrated Dragon Age II failers or competition with disability to others respect. No other explanation to it. I feel sorry for you guys...

detail. Passion is the only thing that outstands and raises highly above ordinary, common attitude, which is based on profit mostly... I couldnt resist playing until I finished and I cant resist playing it over again. So much possibilities. No simple good/bad choices, very mature, realistic, unique atmosphere. I got into it so deeply that I couldnt notice time passing by...

I literally tasted every second I spent with this game with authentic pleasure. I could even say I got addicted to that game. I will definetely play that game x times more in different styles and choices made.

I am recomanding it at full of my heart!

Hail CD Project!!!
  83. May 18, 2011
    To be very honest, i wasnt expecting too much. I played the first The Witcher few years ago and it was good, nothing new , nothing brilliant it was a good game. But when i played The Witcher 2 it was just a new experience of gaming. The deepth of the story is just incredible, the possibility of choices in this game are incredible high, the atmosphere is just incredible dense its just a beautiful game. The combat is great and intuitive a big improvement when you look at the first The Witcher. The graphics are just gorgeous, the design of the world , including environment, buildings, armors is really on of the best i ever saw. Its clearly on of the best Role Playing Games i ever experienced. So i can just say: Guys, buy this game and support the developers! Expand
  84. May 18, 2011
    This game is a beautiful and atmospheric realisation of Low Fantasy that can't be found in other developer's games. The characters are not idealised, they're like real people with all the complexities and motivations that real people have.
  85. May 18, 2011
    Please, check reviews i_hate_poland & Bioware (lol). Gentelmen for BioWare dontt like to lose. The witcher 2 it's probably GOTY 2011. And this is a first game with free DLC :P Michasacuer
  86. May 18, 2011
    One of the best game I have ever played. Story is realy non-linear (yes DA - you can learn from W2), graphics is great, characters are high detailed and almost alive. Combat was improved and now it is really nice.
    Brawo!
  87. May 18, 2011
    The best, complexed, and nonlinear story in cRPG since the long time. I might even say, since good old cRPG times (Baldur´s Gate, Torment, etc). Definately a game of the year. Or, perhaps, even years.
  88. Ex_
    May 19, 2011
    Revised rating. Pros of the game: improved combat system that's fast paced, forces player to pay attention to enemies, doesn't spoon feed you; mistakes are also felt in the game (you die on a boss fight, you start the boss fight over again, not from a check point and there aren't frequent autosaves although some may see this as a con); engaging story and graphics; decent use of quicktime; supports the 360 gamepad with control mapping and UI. Cons of the game: has a somewhat steep learning curve that may be off-putting to impatient players; menu loading can take longer than normal a lot of the time; uses a configuration utility instead of allowing detail changes within the game; ONLY supports the 360 controller. All in all, a good game. P.S. most of the negative reviews are from people who never played the game, are Bioware fanboys, or just didn't take the time to play more than the intro quest before getting their ass kicked, discovered that the game requires skill and not mindless hacking slashing, quitting and refunding. Expand
  89. rq3
    May 18, 2011
    Mature story, dark world, not so shallow as BioWare production. Based on great novelty. It's real RPG! It's everything that BioWare's game failed to be.
    Great graphic
    Great story
    Great system
    Great music
    So many diffrent endings...
    Who needs more?
  90. May 18, 2011
    This game really is very good, a must buy for any REAL fan of the RPG Genre.
    The graphics are absolutely STUNNING. Plenty of customization to be had to ensure a decent frame rate.
    The storyline is first class, voice acting and lines are also very good.
    The use of Quick Time Events was a very welcome addition in my opinion.
    And, to top off what already is a great game, the developers have
    issued the game without the troublesome DRM that is plaguing the PC Gaming Industry.
    To all the Bioware fan boys out there, man up and take your heads out of your asses.
  91. May 18, 2011
    One incredible game that you must definitely play. Very mature and smart text, nicely designed combat and stunning graphics. It is worth to play it more than once. That's for sure.
  92. May 18, 2011
    This is definitely the best RPG i ever played in my life and a candidate for Game of the Year 2011. The best of all is of course the story. It is great and non-linear, full of choices and great dialogs. Characters are deep and complex, even the commoners and their dialogs are perfect. Graphics are amazing too! Looks like they really did a good work with it. Since first play i know that is game made from fans for fans. And from a real proffessionals. That is how should look modern rpgs! Also fantastic main characters and fight system... i can't wait until i'll play it again. Of course game has minor bugs, but no one of them interfere in the game. Witcher 2 have my full recommendation! Play it and see for yourself, you will definitely not be disapointed!! Expand
  93. s1n
    May 18, 2011
    Ok, I'll try to be as specific as I can with my review so I can help those who haven't made a decision yet:

1. Optimization - the game runs smooth on MID details on my 2x3.0 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, RadeonHD 4850, Win XP. And by MID details in The Witcher 2 I mean HIGH in many other blockbuster titles - the looks of the game are simply astounding! A few minor bugs will probably be handled with
    the first patch, but they don't screw up the whole picture at all.

2. Story - it nails you to the chair from the very beginning. Mature, deep, with characters that have their own affairs and motivation. The game provokes REAL emotions, with some of the scenes so deeply moving! This is a game, that you will remember long after you finished it!

3. Choices & non-linearity - finally they are real! This is not a typical Mass Effect thing, where the only choice you had was to be uber-polite or **** in dialogues, but no matter what you "chose" the outcome was the same and the story went on. Here you make REAL choices, that change the story completely at some points, make you visit different locations and meet different characters throughout the game. And typically for Geralt's world - usually you have to choose between two evils. 4. Audio - music & voice acting are from the top shelf. Period. 5. World design - with a huge attention to details, you can see passion and hard work put into the world design every corner you turn. All that crafting combined with very good ambience sounds make The Witcher 2 the most immersive RPG I have played.

6. Combat system - some people say it's too hard and chaotic, but I find it well balanced between action and some strategic thinking. The action factor is more visible, but hey - don't you think that swinging swords, casting spells and trying to slay your opponent is ALL about action?

7. Character development - the system is clear and gives you many options to develop Geralt the way you feel comfortable to play. 8. Overall - if you could call a game epic - this is the one. Not in the "internet" meaning of epic being something incredibly good(well, this too), but actually epic. The game has scale, ambition, and it has those little moments that make you just sit there in front of your screen with your hands off the keyboard and mouse and ADMIRE IT. If you can consider games an art - this is the masterpiece. Crafted with love and making those 30 hours of your life spent on it richer.

(wonder if anyone actually read this till the end :) )
  94. May 18, 2011
    Excellent!
    Much better than Arcania or DA2, it's not only true, pure RPG, this is great hope for this genre! Epic story, realistic combat, funny e-eggs, interesting world, charismatic hero ...and is so beautiful!
    Game of the Year, and the best RPG since Planescape!
  95. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sensational game. CD Projekt will be rubbing shoulders with Blizzard and Valve soon if they keep up this quality. The attention to detail throughout is on a new level, you can't help but stop and gaze through a markets goods or simply watch villagers as they go about their day-to-day business. The story so far is enthralling and the character design is Blizzard standard. Expand
  96. May 18, 2011
    This game is presents itself with some really difficult approaches for the gamer. But as there seems an overwhelming positive feedback from the gamerbase it seems it's console style gameplay und depth is the new standard to RPGs. One can not really describe this game anymore as a real RPG like in the old ways. There are comparisons to Baldur's Gate out there, but unlike this game BG had character customization. If you don't like the silver haired, cat eyed witcher antihero then you can not change that in any way. The customization of his "class" is also not that wide. Some "spells" (runes) and combat moves to put your points into, that's it. No cleric, no rogue.
    The animations, as some reviews pointed out, are for once beautifully animated but absolutely unrealistic and awkward designed. Geralt must be hulk to swing and turn with his sword like this. This does not fit with the "adult", "grim" and "realistic" approach to fantasy the game otherwise tries to deliver.
    The game itself is not that much linear but you do not get much freedom too. The areas are very tiny and there is no open world, almost no ground to explore. But why would you go out and explore if you can not customize your character in any way either?
    The graphics on the other hand are really, really beautiful, but only to those who could a high end machine. On low details you are bound to graphics like 2005 and you still get fps issues here and there. Feels like a really sloppy programmed engine.
    The combat gameplay feels like some bad console hack and slay. You got issues with targetting, blocking and overall movement. As you can see the dumbed down menues everywhere it's obvious this title was made for use on consoles too. While I do not think RPGs can deliver aciton, like the Elder Scrolls series for example, this really is not it. Repetetive button mashing fights are not what makes RPGs shine. At least the combat feels more refined than in Witcher 1.
    The story is at best predictable and at worst just plain boring and uninvolving. But it may only be, that you can not really follow the emotions because Geralt is really a stranger and you do not really like him at any times. The adult scenes can not make up for this as it is always this silver haired guy who you are watching at. Really dissappointing.
    I can not give this game more points and even if you like Geralt and simplistic gameplay, between the sloppy engine and flat story no 10 points rating here is justified.
  97. May 18, 2011
    I am your typical casual player: age 40, paper pusher, only finished HalfLife2, Mass Effects, Assassin's Creed 2 and Witcher 1 in my life. And I already know this: I will finish this one and I'll be playing it again and again. For the story, the choices and dialogues, for the graphics, for the wonderful, overwhelming world.
  98. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have waited a long time for this game, and my expectations were very high. And now after playing Witcher 2, I can say that I'm satisfied with every aspect of this game. The Witcher 2 should become an example for other developers, what RPG game should be. In one word, it is masterpiece. I haven't doubt that Witcher 2 will be the game of the Year 2011. Expand
  99. May 18, 2011
  100. May 18, 2011
    Absolutely stunning game , there is no game that can compare to The Witcher 2.Coming as only 2nd from pretty fresh developer it is truly a miracle i can't wait what CDPR has prepared next for us.
    Gameplay is solid , tough it could use some improvement.Combat is definitely a huge improvement from TW1 it's both entertaining and challenging.Mini games are nothing impressive really , but those
    are nice addition to the game.
    Story is spectacular , can't say anything else without spoiling. Graphics , well i can say few things 1.It looks better than Crysis 2.It has best art style in any game to date IMO.Basically it is best looking game to date.Of course there is a difference between FPS and 3rd person game graphics , but Witcher 2 focuses more on small details than any game before (keeping in mind size of the locations).

I can honestly say , if you don't play it , you are missing out a gem of a decade.
  101. May 22, 2011
    Never seen such a story. Must - have, must - play. This is how you do it. Deep character system? Check Epic story? Check Engaging combat? Check No DRM? Check Same price across regions? Check Free DLC forever? Check CD Projekt is the anti-EA/Bioware. Game looks absolutely fantastic. Dialogue is immersive and well written. m_stannard is a gelatinous, buttperturbed jackass who is super mad DA2 sucked dick. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011