8.4

1. May 17, 2011
    Completely amazing game from start to finish. Graphics, story, combat... just everything is mind-blowing. I would say this is up for game of the year without a doubt. Make sure you have a pretty good PC though...
  2. May 18, 2011
    This game is a classic. People who are posting zeroes should just calm down. There's no way that bioware employees would be posting those marks. More like overzealous bioware fans who are threatened. This game deserves a complete 10. It's the best game i've played since oblivion, and dare I say it, baldur's gate. I get the distinct feeling that bethesda are playing this game right now and todd howard just said "new release date for skyrim folks...12/12/12" :) Expand
  3. May 18, 2011
    Truly a candidate for the GOTY 2011. Awesomely written dialogues, breath taking visuals and music and also really good combat. The story itself is deep, immersive, mature and, personally, I love some of the Geralt's sarcastic jokes. The first Witcher was awesome and this one is even better. The only minus I would say is the problem with GFX drivers (needed 275 beta driver off nVidia in order to run the game... but nothing serious). As a Sapkowski fan I recommend this game to anyone who loves RPG genre.

After a big disappointment with Dragon Age 2, this game put DA:O of the RPG throne for me.
  4. Mar 7, 2012
    I really had a blast playing this game. The continuity from the first game to the second one was very well done - a lot of questions from the first game were answered in the second installment. The game does a great job at making you understand that choices have consequences. As a matter of fact, a specific choice will decide where you stand and how your story unfolds in the second chapter. I loved how you also have the opportunity to execute a questline while being stealthy as opposed to run in and kill everyone. The graphics are stunning, the landscapes are beautiful and varied. I found the colors to be very crisp and the textures refined. As far as the models go, sometimes the lips movements felt akward when the characters talked, but other than that, the animations felt flowly. What I liked a bit less about the game, however, is that it can throw you quite rapidly in the action and giving you very little feedback. Without spoiling the game, at the very beginning when you're given a choice of narrating cutscenes, you should pick them up sequentially from the top one to the bottom - it'll give you time to be familiar with the game before getting to the actiony bits. The equipment interface is a tad clunky and sometimes I found myself without a sword - it had disappeared for no reason. Finally, the thing that also disappointed me is how short Chapter 3 was - but I've heard that they will be adding more to that chapter for free once the xbox version comes out. A great experience overall. Expand
  5. May 20, 2011
    The best RPG game i have ever played. This is truly a epic masterpiece. The environment is so amazing and and mind blowing, its just blows all the other RPG games out of the water. The villages / cities are so alive and full of life that you can spend hours just walking completely immersed in the game.
  6. May 21, 2011
    Brilliant game just like the original The Witcher, After the disappointment of Dragon Age 2, i was losing hope in RPG but still hoping on The Witcher 2 and Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

The Witcher 2 have restored some faith, if you have an high end computing system, i highly recommend it!

Now wanting to play The Witcher 3 or an expansion, and loving Triss Merigold (Was their really a choice in
    the game, i wont spoil), for future games Triss > Yennifer...

Great game, now waiting for 11/11/11 for Skyrim and news about future developments of the witcher.
  7. May 22, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an absolutely incredible game, with nearly every aspect surpassing the first game. While the combat is vastly superior to the previous game, there are still issues, primarily with targeting and difficulty ramping. These minor flaws do not however distract from the overall game, including it's incredible story that is probably the best from any game since Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape :Torment. The game is a definite contender for Game of the Year and so far at least, has absolutely no competition. As for performance - I am using a Nvidia 470GT with the May 17 beta drivers, everything but Ubersampling turned on max the frame rate is at a stable 60 with minimal stuttering during area loads. Expand
  8. May 23, 2011
    Excellent game, worth the money + they really pushed the boat out with basic hard copy extras! Well done guys keep it up! cant wait for the witcher 3. lol @ how well the boobs and vagina have been textured, obviously very well researched! On a side note, love how they have used the northern irish accent! good too see that we are rubbing off on the polish that come to live/visit here!
  9. Jun 4, 2011
    Let's look at this game for what it is and try and dispel a few unworthy comparisons; firstly for the newcomers to the Witcher series, yes I think it does help if you've played the first one - one of the better decision based RPGs (where small decision mattered and could affect gameplay) and no, it didn't copy DA:O -- it was 2 years before, weâ
  10. Jun 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics are great, voice acting is good, storyline's good and it's actually challenging (a definite plus) - really, this should be "the greatest RPG of 2011" ... but it's not, sorry. The game is flawed; CD Projekt Red have made some definitely strange decisions with The Witcher 2. First off, potions - a Witcher without potions is hardly a Witcher - and yet now you can't quick-slot them, you have to meditate before combat to drink your potions... definitely a bad move. Quick Time Events (QTE) - really, leave these on the consoles - tap X, now Y, now Z ... sorry, W, A or S. What? I wanted a game, not a movie with a random reaction test to occasionally hit a key. Oh, and it doesn't matter what level you are, mis-time hitting that key and you're dead. And boss fights? Really? This isn't Sonic the Hedgehog where I'd expect to bounce off the head of Doctor Robotnik at the end of every level - this is supposed to be a mature RPG. If you're going to do "boss fights" you have to do them well (like in say Metal Gear Solid 4) where you've generally got at least a couple of ways to achieve your goal - the Witcher 2 does them badly; they generally run to the effect of - drop you in an inescapable room with a badass monster/NPC and let you die repeatedly until you've worked out which particular tactics you're supposed to use to win... you must dodge 30 insta-death attacks until you tire the monster enough to whip a pink tutu over its head so that it dies of embarrassment - or something.

OK - general monster mashing combat has been improved since the original Witcher - there's a lot more dodging and bomb chucking required to excel - you can't just wade into a huge mob of drowners and occasionally click a button to win. The graphics, sound and all the shiny, shiny are streets ahead of anything similar - it blows Dragon Age 2 out of the water... but the gameplay; to be honest, it doesn't actually play as well as the original Witcher. The prologue for instance - playing "dodge the dragon" is just rubbish - "oh, we've arbitrarily changed the camera angle so that instead of pressing W to run forward you now need to press A to run down the screen..." - and for what purpose - to give you another pointless reaction test.

Then there's the "what the hell am I supposed to do now factor" ... take the Kayran fight in Act 1 for instance. Right I've chopped off the tentacles and it's dropped a bridge on its head... now what? Oh, I see, I'm supposed to randomly run up some fallen masonry and throw a magical bomb that I don't actually have into its open gullet? Seriously?

At least they've fixed the "Invert Mouse" and key bindings options now - otherwise I'd have only given it a 6. Still, I suspect if I was playing this game on the XBoX I'd have been much more impressed - on the PC I'm getting a distinct feeling of "crap, they've consolised another great game and borked it on the PC".
  11. Aug 5, 2011
    A great example of how to make an engaging fun and epic roleplaying game. Bioware should take notes...
    The graphics are outstanding. The combat is fun. It is more real time hack and slash (as opposed to "tactical" with pause and issue orders). The crafting system is similar to all the other games: mix ingredients and get a potion or item.

The quest and story are engaging. Even
    the cut scenes are great. Over all it has a cinematic feel to it. Expand
  12. Aug 21, 2011
    It's one of the best RPG I've ever played.Graphics,characthers and story is amazing!Alchemy and crafting are very useful.There are a lot of things that you can do.
  13. Aug 29, 2011
    I loved the original Witcher game so much I looked forward to this sequel for years. I have tried many times to complete the game just to see where the story goes, but I just can't get into it. What a beautiful game! No complaints about the story. They changed so much and provided so little help I feel frustrated and lost almost all the time. I have seen a lot of games become harder to beat lately. I think this is to make them appeal to FPS players. My feeling is they went too far on this one. Why didn't their beta testers warn them? Expand
  14. Aug 29, 2011
    This is an extremely nice game. If you are into a good story and want to think a little bit and enjoy good graphics, this is a game for you. You can see that the guys from Poland still remember what an enjoyable and challenging game should look like.
  15. Aug 31, 2011
    An absolutely fantastic action/rpg. For fans of Bioware games who miss the RPG elements that were stripped away in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. The game has a literary feel because it is based on a book and its characters are absorbing. The graphics are gorgeous and the sound effects perfect. I recommend playing The Witcher first so you are caught up on characters and can see how flawlessly CDProjekt took what made the 1st game great and made it even better. Expand
  16. Apr 29, 2012
    The game is mediocre at best, due to developers never stopping to think what would actually be fun in a game. Would it be fun to wander around without knowing which way is north? No, but that's what you are forced to do. Would it be fun to not be able to drink potions in battle? No, but you have to spend a minute navigating menus and watching Geralt take a sip and a breath every time you do. You also have to repeat the process every 10 minutes. Would it be fun to have size 3 font at HD resolutions? No, but that's how it is. Would it be fun to be unable to attack at full strength after using signs? No, but, inexplicably, that's how it is. Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2012
    What I really love about the Witcher 2 apart from the stunny graphics, which obviously is a given, is that it is so realistic, for example you have to drink potions before combat. In most other games you can be in the midst of battle, but somehow you can just pop out a potion from your backpack and drink it in 1 second, and be instantly healed. The Witcher however snaps people back to reality, you need time to prepare the potion, you need to meditate and drink it, and even then you wont see immediate effects, instead it boosts healing rates. Another great aspect of the game is the side missions, for example at some point you will need to venture off into the wilderness to kill some monsters, but instead of being able to just go out and hunt, you need to learn their weaknesses, where they live, what you can harvest from them, and how to defeat them. There are 2 ways to do this, go out and learn by doing, or read a book about it. Finally I love the divergent plot lines, and how you cannot understand the full story until you play through both paths

CDPROJECT brought brand new ideas to the table, and perfected old ones, the Witcher 2 is the greatest RPG to date.
  18. Nov 13, 2011
    Being spoiled by open worlds from the Bethesda studio's this is disappointing. All though the story is great it really pissed me off that the story telling cuts in all the time and even lets you lose a fight which I was totally winning just to be able to tell the story. Also lets you fight fights with other characters of your party on occasion. The game player just has to follow. I know this is part of role playing but as I said I'm spoiled by the free open worlds in other games. But great graphics, fighting system and story! Expand
  19. Nov 20, 2011
    First of the game was overestimated due to lack of any other RPG till its release in this year. The story is moderate. The world is so enclosed and tiny (It takes 10 - 15 hours of playing to finish the main quest with some side ones). Graphics is amazing but the engine has no physics (it's for sure not Frostbite). There is little amount of gear and other stuff in this game. Fight with monsters is shovel, with no strategy (high difficulty). The game is not for real RPG fun.
    Any positives... ehm.. mentioned graphics, good dialogs and in some moments its really interesting. But is is no for sure for 10.
  20. Feb 26, 2012
    Best game of 2011. Combat is meh, but this game isn't about combat. It's about amazing story with moral choices. Usually you can do either bad, or worse choice. Love it.
  21. Mar 7, 2012
    An absolutely fantastic game, one of the best RPG's I've played; period. The story is crisp and easy to follow while still grabbing the player and will leave them wondering what will unfold in the story. It is also one of the few RPG's I've seen where player choice really impacts the game, with whole new area's to be seen (Or unseen) depending on player choices. That being said the game does have some flaws, I felt like it was frustratingly difficult to block, because of the limit on it, as well as some minor bits where the difficulty fluctuates wildly between fights. The romance options in the story are tasteful and never forced, and the characters are all wonderfully voice acted, especially Roche. Add in the fact that CD Projekt RED is releasing 4 more hours of game play to a part of the game the players liked the most is what bumps this game up beyond the norm. It's really worth getting, especially with how often it goes on sale for under 15 dollars. Expand
  22. Apr 17, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is GOTY 2011 for me. Incredible graphics, dynamic storyline with different outcomes depending on your choices, diverse gameplay and great replayablity. Also, CD Projekt RED offers fantastic support.
  23. Jun 27, 2013
    Excellent graphics, excellent gameplay, compelling story. It just hurts when you are a gamer with so many games and you can't put the time into a game that truly deserves it to fully comprehend and control.
  24. Mar 31, 2013
    There are often fanboy flame wars over whether Skyrim or Dark Souls is better. The majority of them have never played this game. Great Fluid combat that makes you think, an interesting and beautiful world to explore, and a smart interesting story that doesn't shy away from violence and sexuality. Truly one greatest RPG's I've ever played.
  25. Dec 31, 2012
    The good: It's pretty.
    The bad: Pretty much the rest of the game. Poor controls (non-customizable, feels like a bad Xbox port) no open world, you can't jump?, interface is bad, NOT an RPG, combat is horribly clunky, no replayability... really, very poorly done. I honestly bet the mod community could write a "witcher" mod and have it done in half the time, on 0 budget, and have it play
    2000% better.

It get's 1 pt from me for the graphics, but nothing else.
  26. i0n
    Sep 4, 2013
    In itself this is a solid title, but for obvious reasons it's difficult to avoid comparisons with the first game of the series. While you could certainly argue with merit that some issues from the first game have been improved upon, I found the overall experience to be significantly less rewarding than the original. Simply doesn't have the depth of the original, and some of the gameplay mechanics have taken a turn for the worse rather than being an improvement. Playing a game should not be a chore. Expand
  27. Aug 21, 2011
    Everything that's wrong in the (post)modern gaming industry... done right! Marvelous game with a caring developer behind it...CD Projekt's support seems to fulfill the meaning of "user support"... even topping it with free DLC and a soon-to-be-released free update bringing Witcher 2 to patch version 2.0 with true game-improvement (and that...as we all know - lately - is a rarity).
  28. May 20, 2011
    I'm not done chapter 1 but so far this game **** owns. Way better than DA2 and possibly GOTY for me.

There are minor complaints, but seeing as how they released an EE version of the witcher 1, I have high hopes they'll work on them.

The game is absolutely stunning. The production values are through the roof, and the combat is fun and challenging. The music is as always in the witcher
    series, wonderfully done. The cutscenes, the NPC interactions, the plot is all very engaging and interesting. There are tons of items, tons of neat places to see and things to collect and create.

The worst parts are easily: The UI (which has a very console feel), and certain aspects of the combat, but they overall are minor.

If I had to explain what this game is and what it stands for in the world of RPGs, it would be this.
    Wonderful.
  29. May 27, 2011
    This is a good game, but it could have been great. When all is said and done, it suffers from the same problem as Dragon Age 2, although not to as great an extent. Pros: Amazing graphics. Every part of this game has been lovingly crafted to be visually pleasing.
    Good story and characters. The major characters are very believable, and have very defined personalities.
    Some parts of the
    combat system were great, most notably the difficulty at higher settings. You can't just expect to walk into a fight and mow down everything with your massive stats.

Cons: The game is on rails from the beginning. You can alter the storyline by your choices, but there's really no exploration to speak of.
    The menu system is very aggravating, and you will spend much more time sorting through things than you should ever have to.
    Other parts of the combat system are less than amazing. You'll need to remember the function of practically every key on the board. Forgot what one of them does? Tough. Go read the manual. Oh you can change the key mapping.....outside the game.....only to forget it later...... This wouldn't be as big a problem if there weren't so many keys you need to remember. There wasn't a single moment playing this game that I didn't yearn for the Over-The-Shoulder (OTS) system from the first game. Three separate keys for journal, character, and inventory? Really?...and I can't just switch between them in any simple way? You need to physically click exit every time you want to change one and then remember the key for the other menu that you want to go to. Seriously.

Don't get me wrong, Witcher 2 is still a good game. It's just that this seems to be what happens to every franchise when they start to see a little success. They try to make everything bigger, louder, and flashier at the expense of key gameplay elements. Thankfully Witcher 2 still has some fight left in it, but I can't help seeing the flaming pile DA 2 turned out to be, and find a little bit of that here.
  30. May 24, 2011
    Has to be a Ten for one simple reason. Cd Project have made the game both witcher fans and rpg fans have always wanted, not the game that the shareholders wanted released ASAP. I personnelly have not been so challenged by any game on normal settings in recent times as i have been with the witcher 2, the quick load button is almost destroyed lol But this is not like many others badly designed games that punish your mistakes. the simple fact is if you dont react correctly you get burned lol Also this has been welcome because of some of the combat issues i had in the witcher 1. I could complete the whole game only having to use a few health potions rendering Alchemy irrelivent which in the world of the witcher should be a must have. In terms of role playing aswell i love the fact not everthing is spoon fed to me. For example go kill x monsters. Most rpgs would be strait on the mini map showing you exactly were to go and tell you what to do. The witcher 2 makes you explore and makes you research ways of defeating monsters instead of running in hack and slash return to quest giver thanks for the gold!! last but not least the cinematics and voice acting are top class! CD Project have one problem now! How do they top the witcher 2? Expand
  31. May 17, 2011
    This is not only the best RPG I have ever played but my all time favorite game now. Been playing all night and just wow.

Incredibly fast, fun, tactful combat system. That is just so unbelievably smooth it just feels great. Mixing sorcery with sword play, dodging, blocking. Huge improvement from the first.

The storyline is just so engaging and well written. The voice acting is fantastic.
    The graphics...dear god the graphics. Just stunning in every way. Such a gorgeous game.

I can't recommend this game enough. Go and buy it!!
  32. May 30, 2011
    This is the best RPG I've played in a long time. With respect to game play mechanics, they fixed many aspects of combat that I didn't care for in W1, improved crafting, and made resting less of a chore. Where the Witcher 2 really stands out, however, is in the time taken to setup the story, introduce characters, and develop a connection to the player. Your character is faced with a number of interesting decisions which tend to entirely avoid what has become the traditional 'kick puppy / hug puppy' syndrome in many modern RPGs. Instead, the player is forced to make tough decisions, often without having all necessary information. As a result there were points throughout the game where I was genuinely conflicted about who to side with or which character to let live. This makes for a great gaming experience and leaves a lot of room for additional playthroughs. Finally, the graphics are great. The game shows that it is indeed possible to have excellent visuals while still providing a superb story and exciting game play. All in all definitely GOTY material and I hope its success helps to push certain other developers back toward producing quality games instead of focusing solely on quarterly profits. Expand
  33. May 26, 2011
    Average at best - has some significant issues, mainly combat is terrible as the fights itself are too hack&slashy. Also lack of any open world disqualifies this game as an rpg. It is an action game with light rpg-like topping on it. Something like Assassin Creed. Story is good, I liked scripting and graphic, but the combat and poor inventory management spoiled a lot of fun for me. This is the same thing that Bioware tried to pull off with DA II, just better executed, but it is still light years away from great classics like Baldur Gates/Wizardy/Might and Magic/Elder Scroll series Expand
  34. Oct 7, 2011
    In short, one the greatest RPG's of all time. Terrifically immersing world and story, believable and original characters, a staggering number of choices and consequences, and challenging gameplay to boot. A must play for fans of the Fanatasy RPG genre.
  35. May 20, 2011
    Do you enjoy games with good graphics? Do you enjoy a compelling, dark, fantasy storyline? Do you enjoy characters that don't feel like they were written by ten year olds? (I'm looking at you Dragon Age 2) Then I think the Witcher 2 is a perfect game for you! Despite some steep hardware capabilities, this is a fantastic game made by a great developer that will have free DLC and is already quite expansive. Expand
  36. May 19, 2011
    They managed to do what Bioware/EA was trying to do with the Dragon Age IP , except they didn't completely **** the bed, destroy the franchise and lose 90% of their fans and customers!

I'm only a few hours into the game, but the plot and characters are extremely compelling, the combat is a blast, although it would have been nice if the difficulty ramped up a bit more slowly. A guy
    shouldn't have to reload a save two dozen times during the TUTORIAL while he's trying to get a feel for the system...

The graphics are amazing, and run flawlessly at max settings on my middle of the road PC. (2.0ghz amd quad, 6 gb ram, radeon 5770)
  37. Olf
    Jun 9, 2011
    Well made game. Game play is very difficult, and choices you make actually make some semblance of a difference....as opposed to Dragon Age 2. I really feel not only was this game an improvement on the original, but a good look at how RPGs of the future should be with high re-playability.
  38. May 17, 2011
    This game is quite possibly the best game I've ever played. Depth and accessibility all in one.

Few games achieve the perfection TW2 has reached, the world is engrossing, the combat is fun, the RPG STILL EXISTS! Conversation is believable, adult, non-patronizing and totally involving. TW1 didn't even come close to this, it only hinted at it.

Thank you CDP for proving that smart people
    exist still, not everyone is a DA2 tardo-box. Expand
  39. Oct 3, 2011
    Excellent game that upgrades almost every aspect of the original game. A very good story that has a mature feel to it and is believable. Pretty much all the quests feel relevant, very few "kill x amount of something"-quests. Graphics and soundtrack is top of the line. Combat is good and varied, you can do combat in many different ways depending on what you like. There are a few things to complain about in this game and one might be how the potion system works. You really should be able to drink a potion without having to go into meditation. That would make drinking potions more useful and it would keep the pace in the game.
    Another small complaint is that I would have liked to have direct access to all the different information windows in the game from within an already open window. Like in the original game there was a round menu in the upper right corner of the screen where you can easily switch between for example the character window and the quests window.

Overall an excellent game that should not be missed, especially if you can appreciate a good story.
    Definitely one of the best games of 2011.
  40. May 22, 2011
    Great game, improves on his predecessor and by far the best rpg released in years.
    AI should be improved and also combat variety.

Please buy it on gog.com and support cdproject.
  41. May 17, 2011
    Awesome game. Now i'm a massive Bioware fan, but the difference between this release and Dragon Age 2. CD Projeckt have made the game they wanted to make and the game the fans wanted, rather than trying to appeal the lowest common denominator as Bioware did. Deep RPG mechanics, excellent combat, engaging story, brilliant characters, and best of all, choices which really matter

I
    should also mention the excellent amount of stuff you get in the box! It made me feel like i was a kid ripping open an Atari ST game again! Expand
  42. May 28, 2011
    This game is a little bit below what I expected. After Playing the first game, I had high hopes for the second one. Some of the things I did like about TW2 was the environment that was set up. Everything looked beautiful. Also, the didn't have nearly as many bugs as TW1 did when it first came out. The story line was pretty solid and let me say this; this game feels linear, but play through again making different choices and you probably won't end up with the same conclusion, maybe not even the same story. Now, there are some things that I didn't like about this game. There was barely any tutorial at all. The only help you got was from a little box in the corner of the screen to tell you what to do. They also made the tutorial more difficult than it should have been. I get that this game was meant to be for the hardcore player, but the game gets easier as you go further into the game, which also means the level pacing was bad. Many people have complained about the inventory mechanics and other things, but that didn't bother me too much because it was similar to TW1. The one thing that killed the game though, was the scripting into American English. Talking in the medieval tone and accent is fine, but when you start dropping the f-bombs and other slang that doesn't fit in with the game at all, that is NOT ok. Overall, This game is pretty good. It didn't meet my expectations, But it was still an enjoyable experience. Expand
  43. May 18, 2011
    Im 3 hours in the game and its stunning from graphics to everything else. Its worth every penny and even more. I feel sorry for DA2 fans who cant stand watching how "Real" RPG beats the crap out of "over-hyped" Bioware company name and their DA2 title.

You can live on past glory, cuz some1 else will come and do it properly. Go Go CD Projekt Red show them how to make RPG.

Witcher is my name!
  44. May 18, 2011
    Got to love all trolls, with names like "Bioware" trying to lower this score. This game's biggest flaw is the technical side of things, which they are working out, much of that is user error. This a great game, don't let the bioware love crowd, try hate on this. Because there precious DA2 didn't deliver. Enjoy this great game people!
  45. May 21, 2011
    Wonderful Action RPG with an amazing story, and available DRM free. But, marred by clumsy controls, a somewhat poor inventory screen, and high graphical system requirements.
  46. May 24, 2011
    Amazing!! I'm not a big RPG fan, but I bought this game on a whim and I can't seem to stop playing. It's refreshing to play a game that actually challenges you during combat. There's very little hand-holding in this game and occasionally your character **gasp** dies from your mistakes! The graphics are also top notch and will set the new benchmark for PC punishment... the "Uber Sampling" option can bring any current GPU to it's knees. The only negative is the fact that you can't remap some of the keys for combat (a stupid oversight by the development team), but there's an update on the way to fix this issue. Expand
  47. May 17, 2011
    One of the best rpg's i've EVER played,and i've played them all,including that utter piece of **** called dragon age 2-hey,bioware-take notes THIS is how it's done-and tell your insecure employees to stop giving a game that ****s all over yours a 0 and get back into the development studio to make dragon age 3 an actual rpg this time-because judging from your last game,you're gonna need all the help you can get...what else can i say? AMAZING!!!! GOTY 2011. Expand
  48. May 21, 2011
    This game takes the crown of the RPG genre for being the best RPG released in the last 10 years of gaming. The Witcher 2 assassinates all of its genre-rivals with ease.

I finished this game after 30 hours of gameplay and never had a dull moment, never needed to grind and always was on important and eventful quests full of plot twists and surprises. If you are a fan of western RPGs you
    need to buy this. This is how you do a sequel ! Expand
  49. May 17, 2011
    1:First let me say that this game is amazing & Cd Projekt has made one of the best rpg I have ever played! 2:Most Rpg's get something right like magic or story or fighting! 3:The Witcher 2 get gets the story,Fighting and magic right! 3: I am so glade I pre ordered this amazing game & I don't want my money back! 4: It stomps all over dragon lame 2! 5:The main quest without side quests & taking different paths is 40 hours!
    6:Nuff said buy this game!
    7:My personal goty!
  50. May 17, 2011
    I would give this game a GOTY not just in the RPG, but generally across all genres. The game has amazing graphics that push the hardware (you can also play it on crappy PCs too, so props to devs for optimizing the engine). The game has glorious story and awesome combat mechanics, go watch YouTube if you don't believe me.

More important, this game has an awesome developer behind it that
    does everything RIGHT. No DRM, free DLC, modding tools, PC-only. Thank you CD Project. Expand
  51. May 17, 2011
    I registered just to fix this injustice done by Bioware employee, M_stanndard. Of course I'll do the same with Dragon Age 2, I hate ppl like this. This game deserves best, it got everything, non-linear story, best graphics out there, great quests, splendid dialogues, deep combat system, especially combined with the traps, alchemy, bombs and of course Witcher Signs. I love how everything is detailed, a blade with rune own a glowing sign on the edge, and of course different effect while lubricant is put.

Love this game. 10/10
  52. May 17, 2011
    GOTY 2011 candidate, at least unless Diablo 3 shows up this year. An awesome RPG game, just like the first part - compared to Dragon Age 2 it wins pretty much in nearly every aspect (the exception being higher system requirements). It also helps if you are familiar with The Witcher Saga by A. Sapkowski.
  53. May 17, 2011
    The best game what I've ever played! If you like RPG, you must buy it! I don't know why fanboys of DA2 are rating this epic game down. Someday CD Project will be great company!!! :)
  54. May 17, 2011
    This was worth what felt like a very long wait. If the first game was the statement of intent, this is the full realisation of those aims. Everything that worked in the first game has been tuned up to a yet higher magnitude, everything that needed polish has been TLC'd to a shine and everything that detracted from the game has been thrown out and replaced with something that deserves to stand alongside the other great achievements of the game.

The storyline carries on in true cinematic fashion, but not in a hand-holding MGS kind of way - no, from the offset you're playing your own Geralt and interacting with the world and characters in the way you see fit. The voice acting was inconsistent in the first game, never awful but rarely that good. In this game it's knitted together much more coherently which adds to the believability and aids in the storytelling and roleplaying. The combat in the first game was a case of a good idea that just didn't work quite as planned. The sequel sees the developer nail it and deliver a fighting system that represents the way the characters fight in the books and feels natural and fluid for the player. Hell, even the way the game updates and installs DLC (all of it is free, no DLC will cost you any money in this game) is user friendly and a pleasure to use.

I simply couldn't recommend this game more for a fan of RPGs, adventure or even just good stories told well.
  55. May 17, 2011
    Can't decide which is best: the amazing graphics, the compelling narrative or the incredible depth this game possesses. The Witcher 2 sets a new standard for computer RPGs, with a mature world, filled with remarkable characters in a game which is a tantamount to Stroker's Dracula as is Dragon Age II to Twilight. But it's not just that. CDProjekt has been shown a respectful developer towards PC gamers in general, offering free DLCs, an amazing Collector's Edition which is not riddled with in-game items and the best graphics your computer is or isn't able to handle. The game itself is a perfect 10; CDProjekt's attitude makes it worth an 11. Expand
  56. May 18, 2011
    The best RPG game since the days of ps2!! If not the GOTY will at least be in the competition for top positions! CD Projekt Red Studio is to be congratulated for the quality of your product and even more because of all the DLC except expansions are free.
  57. May 18, 2011
    This game is a clear example of what a good PC game is. CD Projekt RED has done an awesome job with the story, graphics, and design of the game. The graphics engine, dubbed "RED Engine", allows you to customize a myriad of features ranging from screen space ambient occlusion to depth of field. Best of all, any future DLC for The Witcher 2 will be free (just as it should be for every PC game). If you're looking for a fresh, immersive, and complex RPG... then The Witcher 2 will keep you busy for hours. Expand
  58. May 18, 2011
    First, this game is awesome. If you don't play this game you are truly missing out on one of the Best RPG games ever. It amazes me when I look through the reviews and you see some guy give a seriously low score. Some of you must have no lives that you have to write low reviews of an awesome game. I can understand someone maybe giving this game an 8 or maybe even a 7 but any lower than that you are just letting everyone know that you are a moron. This Game is a definite 10. I know that no game is perfect so in reality no game should ever get a 10, but any game that is so awesome and fun to play deserves a fat 10. Expand
  59. May 22, 2011
    Streamlining done right.
    The Witcher 2 as a game is the meaning of the word progress. Everything from the graphics to the systems behind the game are an amazing feat, one you would expect from a big named developer backed up by a huge budget . The looks of the game are not only unparalleled due to its PC only nature, but also because it presents a world that feels hand crafted. The
    attention to detail borders on the extreme: the clothes, the houses and buildings, the faces of the characters their weapons and in general every corner, nook and cranny of the world has a distinctive touch. The scenery is simply breathtaking, and if you are like me you will want to make a screenshot out of every frame. It also shows that you don't need an overabundance of browns and blood reds in your palette to show a gritty dark fantasy world. This game shows its maturity not through a pretense of adult topics or over the top action animations, but through a careful use of its elements and by showing the player some respect: yes, you are an adult, and you can handle these topics, because indeed the Witcher's is a dark world filled with conspiracies, racism and characters in between every single shade of gray. It is a living, breathing, unforgiving world.
    The story is as complex as in the first game, filled with twists and choices that may change the fate of many, and forking paths that make a replay of the game not only encouraged, but required in order to see the extent to which they occur and diverge. Normal and hard difficulties are recommended and will test your skills if you don't face every battle with all seriousness, preparing beforehand by brewing and drinking potions and using all of your abilities during the fight, i.e. your swords your magic signs depending on what enemy you face and traps and bombs for your crowd control.
    The actual combat is in no way dumbed down. It will still punish you if you go unprepared and you can't mash your way out of battles. It is in much better shape than in the first game, and friendly to both the use of a gamepad or mouse and keyboard. The user interface is slick and great looking.
    The ending of the game comes abruptly, and you might feel that it doesn't solve every issue the game presents (the main storyline issues ARE solved, though). It is no excuse from what many will consider a downbeat ending, but in all honesty it doesn't detract a single beat from what this game does right, which is almost everything else. Even if you don't like the ending you will feel that the journey was worth it.
    In the end I feel like I'm required to score this game a 10 despite its shortcomings not because it is a perfect game, but because it is an honest one. When more and more AAA releases are done with specific quarters in mind, or with demographics numbers behind, or executives who never play games are calling the shots, The Witcher 2 really feels developed to please it audience, to show them they too are tired of these.
    There is a certain level of quality you expect from bigger developers which have more of a history and a name, because they deliver experiences that go way beyond what you might get from the indie guys. It is OK, they have the money and the numbers behind. This is a trend that has been changing in the last years and that no longer holds true in most cases though. You might think that one can give a pass to the smaller guys just because they make a lot with too few, and thus a 7 might become an 8 or a 9 might become a 10 this way. In this case in particular neither of these apply. In my mind CDProject RED are already the big name, from whom I will expect unrelenting quality and because after what they achieved they can't be considered the little guy any longer. With the Witcher 2 they delivered a game that is truly above and beyond any RPG from the last years, that feels like a product of love, careful planning and an overall shout to fans and the gaming community that says "we know what you want, and we can deliver. Where others have failed you we will prevail." And God if they don't.
    A serious contender for RPG and overall game of the Year is here, and frankly there is little in the horizon that looks like it might compete with it. Five years from now when other games made by bigger companies are all forgotten in the $5 bargain bins of the world, many a gamer will be reinstalling this game to reminisce and fondly say: "yes, I played a game was this good in 2011, and it was glorious."
    Congratulations CDProject, you just released your first masterpiece.
  60. May 19, 2011
    Has a legit claim for the greatest RPG of this generation.
    This might be a strange comparison but The Witcher 2 reminds of Metal Gear Solid franchise. The immaculate attention to detail in almost every category, the story telling, the character and world design, the cinematics, the depth of gameplay, music and of course the graphics. Of course you can say Mass Effect 2 can almost fuflil
    everything I just mentioned, the difference is The Witcher 2 hasn't forgotten its root as a hardcore RPG and thats a blessing. Expand
  61. May 19, 2011
    I was a huge fan of The first Witcher game to the point it made me buy the two novels that the game was based one. Considering this I was hoping the sequel would not be a let down and it wasn't! The graphics is stunning. The combat is a huge improvement compared to its predecessor. I enjoy the continuation of the story script where it's a darker world filled with consequences. Plus no DRM, this is my new drug! This has to be RPG game of the year 2011. Expand
  62. May 20, 2011
    I am seriously annoyed with how many people have actually just made new accounts out of jealously for how great this game is. Sure it does have it's flaws, but they are so few and devalued, that it is next to zero effect on gameplay. Being that this engine was made specifically with PC's in mind and not a console port as some moronic reviewers have put it, it is going to be more difficult to optimize for everyone's machine. I myself can play the game on max settings with very few framerate hiccups, but I can understand the frustration. I don't have a review as of yet, but I will tell you so far this second trip to the world of the witcher has been worth the wait and definitely outweighs the hype. Expand
  63. May 23, 2011
    First off, I need to say that I only bought Witcher 2 out of curiosity and that I haven´t played the first part. I´ve played Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Gothic 3, Risen and STO over the last years (on harder difficulties) - so that´s more or less the foundation for any evaluation and comparison...

THE GOOD:

The game has absolutely
    beautiful and stunning visuals that create an atmosphere in some places which is matched by few other games to date. At least it blew my mind a couple of times. Along with this, most of the level design ist absolutely first rate, too. Animations are generally very smooth, the voice acting (EN) is very good and "authentic" and the characters are mostly appealing. While I haven´t completed the story yet, I (not knowing The Witcher 1) must say that the characters show a certain unpredictability and duality. I´m not familiar with any kind of fantasy literature (except LOTR - which I read before the movies came out), so this whole plot thing may be significantly less predictable to me than to others... Up to now the game has proven to be very motivating - I really like exploring the small but gorgeous areas in forests, plains, towns etc. The hunt for new items is fun, too - as it should be in any good RPG. While you do not have a breathtaking amount of freedom in this game, it doesn´t create any strong sense of things recurring too often. All in all, this portion of the game(play) works absolutely fine with me.

The rest will have to be cut down in length due to the limited number of characters... It´s no less significant though!

THE BAD:

- The difficulty is already ridiculous on "normal" (thanks in no small part to the AI and controls)
    - Combat is mostly either frustrating or nothing but button mashing and rolling around on the ground (resembles Gothic 3); magic mostly sucks
    - Unrefined controls; you can´t jump and you can (and will) get stuck on every tiny little object (especially fun during combat)
    - More MMO-like AI behaviour (trigger zones for whole mobs etc.)
    - No real tutorial (read the manual!)
    - Poor inventory screen (remember Obllivion?)
    - Little character development & customization (it´s more like Dead Space than Oblivion for example)

THE UGLY:

- Lots of invisible level barriers (Geralt can´t jump because he´s too old for that)- this one sucks big time
    - Graphics glitches (NPCs popping up out of thin air, moonwalk-NPCs etc.)
    - Loading screens when entering/leaving buildings (not really a big one in this list)
    - Registration required to get all the quests and items in the game (really wtf?!)

CONCLUSION:

This game does have a lot of atmosphere and potential - both of which are ruined to a certain degree by really unnecessary flaws in game design and gameplay. It more or less works a s a whole, but at times the gameplay is simply infuriating or it has you sitting in front of the screen thinking "What were they thinking!?" Additionally, the character development in this game is quite limited. It works more like those shooter games that have implemented RPG-elements. Be aware of this before you buy the game. After this experience I´ll gladly be waiting for Skyrim...
    I may be nitpicking at times, but why should we just quietly accept all the bad ideas that game designers come up with?! After all, I payed 50â
  64. May 23, 2011
    Absolutely unequaled in story telling and atmosphere! This game has a level of writing that would be an unachievable goal for a lot of fantasy books. The plot is drawing heavily from the Middle Ages and mixes the fantasy elements seamlessly. You may find the excessive violence and profanity repulsive, but it makes for a lot more realistic and immersive experience - the people in this game are far closer to their historic prototypes than the idealized icons we have grown to accept as characters in the cliche fantasy games. They eat, drink, swear, have bodily needs and all the rest of it. I would compare the world to George Martin's fantasy saga. Quite obviously, the authors are very well read in history.

Graphics are extremely impressive, both artistically and technically. Music is of the highest quality and it is used very well, complementing the experience - joyful in the taverns, creepy in the dungeons and aggressive during fights. Voice acting is very good with minor exceptions, but fortunately Geralt's voice is perfect throughout.

The character development has been revamped from the first game - there are a lot more options and now we have a vast array of items, some of which are crafted. The fighting is more interesting than the first game, though a bit less visually impressive. It feels a bit unresponsive at times, but this is no fighting game, so that can't be considered a big drawback.

Other problems worth mentioning are a few minor bugs and the performance - there are framerate drops in some areas.

Another personal issue I found was Geralt's face, which seems to me a step back from his looks in the first episode. I managed to get used to it and for most people it wouldn't even make a difference.

In conclusion, I must say that "The Witcher 2" is a must play game for all RPG fans and anyone interested in mature story telling and depth of characterization.
  65. May 24, 2011
    Simply put, one of the best role playing games out there, if not the best. Excellent story that makes you want to keep playing to discover whats happening, very nice combat system that feels fluid (despite some glitches) and graphics that will blow you away. The game has actual choices that lead you up to different paths and change the way it plays on the last 2 chapters. Choices that range from choosing how will you infiltrate a town, to picking what side you will aid in the war. A truly beautiful game which makes me even more anxious to see what this Polish studio will prepare for us in The Witcher 3. Some bugs may appear here and there but reviews that give it "0" are just not justified AT ALL. I can understand a 7-8 for someone that hasn't been able to start it and is angry but below that it's just pure hate. Expand
  66. May 26, 2011
    For me, the game is excellent! Beautiful, quite difficult and addictive.
    Some people here probably don't know how to read. Clearly it is written - from 18 years! Too difficult for you? Everything has to be easy and friendly as for preschoolers?
    Well, kids, TW2 is not for you. Wait a few years.
    My real rating is 9.8.
  67. May 31, 2011
    Great RPG with challenging combat, a deep broody protagonist and a cast of memorable side kicks. I have played through the game twice - hit both main story lines and I'm back for a third. At first I found the combat punishingly difficult (i'm mostly a console gamer - so that might also play into it) but once you get the timeing and nuances of spells, bombs, traps and dodging down it becomes challenging but not frustrating. It is a game that rewards experimentation with the combat as well as with the role playing options. It is really nice to find an RPG that doesn't have a dumbed down combat system. We can handle moral dilema's and blade (or two) at the same time. My only gripe is that the previews made it seem like a much bigger more open world than it really is. I was hoping for maps at least as open as the original Witcher what I got was less open than that but more open then say Dragon II. As that expectation was raised I was initially somewhat disappointed to find the areas to be explored rather limited. As with the original expect a good deal of profanity, pretty close to full frontal female nudity, and moderately graphic simulated sex. Expand
  68. Jun 4, 2011
    The job CDP have done here is simply stunning. The game runs at about 30 fps at 1080p on my rather outdated Radeon 4850 and the quality of its art and visuals make me think of Blizzard games. Impressive job, given the fact that these Polish guys probably don't have the resources of major Western studios.
    Just walk through the forest near Flotsam at night to understand what I mean.

I'm
    mostly staying away from Quen during this runthough; the fights require a bit of research - collecting books about the enemies, preparing blade coatings and potions for the witcher, while the story is top-notch and very much in the spirit of Sapkowski's "Blood of the Elves" and "The Last Wish".

Definitely recommended if you want a game with an engaging story, in a stylish package - finally something to put your 2010 computer to work in a non-gratuitous manner.
  69. Jun 5, 2011
    Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs ever. The game presents users with choices at almost every turn and these choice may impact the course of your story significantly. This is one game where choice is not an illusion. Combat is also amazing, is one of the only few games which actually requires the use of all abilities to come out on top of every encounter, if you dont use your abilities wisely then there is a good chance that you will get your arse kicked and that is why a lot of bad players won't like this game.

For any RPG fans this is the best game thats out there.
  70. Jun 6, 2011
    Well, this game is the best fantasy crpg I've played since, I don't know, possibly even Baldur's Gate. Every single aspect of the game is well thought out, you can almost feel the game developers' love which they poured into their creation. Memorable characters and monsters, amazing story, best graphics I've seen (I don't even think this is an exaggeration), rewarding and dynamic combat system, nice music and voicework. And most of all - loads of fun, games are supposed to be fun and this one is overflowing with fun. I really have to think hard of things I would improve - maybe some menus that are hard to get used to, that's it I guess. I would recommend it to anyone who is mature enough to appreciate what the game brings. And none other crpg brings more. Expand
  71. Aug 20, 2011
    Very good game a good story. if a little short however the combat is very good and very challenging though the controls could be tightened up a bit as they can seem a bit unresponsive. Vastly superior to other rpg's out there such as Dragon Age which seems to have stolen its combat system from Runescape.
  72. Sep 3, 2011
    I saw some stupid reviews here that gives the game 1. Those guys could not even cognize a new game with all of their new rules if not from Bio'sla'ver. 1. Attack strategy of Geralt: killing lots of opponents at the same time is like hitting critital. When you hit a critical, you change the course of the fight? You can improve this chance even from the warrior talent tree.. 2. Monster strategy, endrega queen: No, we want to use our brain in the game to defeat monsters, why we play a game anyway? Shouldn't be different from a zero-interactive-movie? 3.Random quest givers: Why on earth this brilliant feature could be a negative effect? 4. Random quest order: Why on earth this brilliant feature seems like a negative effect for a game on your brains? This game is an epic and releases us from the stupid Bio'sla'ver even-under-six-age-can-end-it games. Expand
  73. Sep 8, 2011
    Simply put, if you enjoyed the first game or are a fan of any RPG this one is by far the best you can find. Despite being a pirate I would happily fork out £40-50 for such a beautifully realised world like that in TW2. GOTY? Quite possibly...
  74. Oct 11, 2011
    So far my favorite game of 2011, Briliant graphics in a very credible game world. Best feature: the choices you make really do CHANGE the game. Briliant replayability and a long single player campaign. WARNING... Do not buy for your kids... this is a game for adults only.
  75. Nov 1, 2011
    CD Projekt Red has GOTY 2011 in the pocket. There's signs of developer blindness (until the mega 2.0 redux patch the difficulty curve was very steep unless you browsed for some helpful tutorials online) and some of the features either somewhat strange or simply badly documented but those are minor setbacks as Witcher 2 is a technological and artistic masterpiece and shows (for most of) the game industry how you create a game that will be remembered as a classic while taking care of your fans and customers. Expand
  76. Apr 10, 2012
    The enchanced edition game (2.0) is really great. The Arena mode gives you the opportunity to practice fighing skills (and fighting is really dificult). The story is intriguing... Great and complex game !
  77. Dec 22, 2011
    Great game with a fan-base passionate & dedicated enough to stamp every negative review with dislike. The game is excellent, but negative reviews are being unfairly reported.
  78. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is a 10/10. The story is immersive, the graphics beautiful, the game play and combat system very cool and skill-based. I tried to complete as many quests as possible and leveled fairly high and yet I never felt that the enemies were too easy to kill, so they scale well with you. The extra content post-release shows how much this company cares about the games they create. The new 10 GB content pack released a few days ago proves that. Incredible. Well worth the money spent. Expand
  79. Jun 3, 2013
    The best game I have played in quites some time. I enjoyed the story and played both sides of the second chapter. The graphics are superb and the combat while difficult in the beginning was very fun. I also enjoyed the adult themes. The only knock is the abysmal inventory, other than that its a must play for all gamers.
  80. Nov 1, 2012
    This is truly the best game I have ever played. I shouldn't have to say much for you to understand what I mean, really just read the other reviews. I love this game! Amazing story, characters, world + lore, graphics and more!
  81. Jan 24, 2014
    This is definitely the best RPG that currently exists. The story, the combat, the enviroment, the graphics and the characters are all perfect. I can't wait for The Witcher 3.
  82. Jul 2, 2013
    this game really deserves a 9.5 but it rounds up to a 10.
    cons: third act is short shops are overpriced
    pros: only 2 cons, great graphics, amazing story and characters, geralt is likeable, great combat, good difficulty so you actually have to think in combat, flotsam is the best town in a video game ive seen, the inn in flotsam has lots to do, colorful world, choices have a huge effect,
    mod kit, side quests are great enough to be part of the main game and have branching choices, will be able to import save to witcher 3, geralt is so awsome he can smoke without opening his mouth, satisfying ending, enhanced edition is free if you own the non enhanced edition. Expand
  83. Dec 2, 2013
    Game is fantastic! It is awesome, gorgeous and brilliant. One of the best RPG's I have played. Definitely Game of the Year 2011. It just could be a little bit longer.
  84. Dec 20, 2013
    This game can be difficult to start out on, however it's in depth gameplay, character development and rich storytelling make it my favorite RPG. It is a traditional RPG that takes the traditional style and does it very well. Let me repeat the story is amazing, and will have you waiting for the 3rd installment destined for the new gen consoles. If you stick to this game, filled with great combat, great writing and a unique and mysterious protagonist you will come to love it. It's an exemplum of what an RPG should be. Expand
  85. Apr 8, 2014
    I absolutely dejected the game after playing it for initial few hours probably because it was my first RPG experience. Eventually had to play the game because i had no other game left in my game library.
    And I'll accept that I totally enjoyed it. The story and its complexity leaves you spell bound. Every character has been so intricately designed and their voice acting is perfect. The
    more you explore the more it amazes you.
    Most game of this era have realistic graphics and it is no exception.
    So finally all those gamers like me who don't have much experience of the RPGs do try this game for sure.
    The only flaw in this game is its combat system which makes it pretty hard to kill multiple enemies.
  86. Mar 11, 2014
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings has the best plot which I have ever experience in game. It is based on Polish books series by Andrzej Sapkowski, named The Witcher. In this game we can admire phenomenal graphics, in my opinion it is better than any other RPG. The amazing soundtrack fits the game setting. Gameplay is perfectly pleasant. The game has highly expended upgrade system. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is incredibly excellent. I definitely recommend this unbelievable game. Expand
  87. Aug 4, 2011
    Great Game. The atmosphere is very very good. Minor points are the last chapter that is not on the same level as the first two and also the introduction: a little to difficult because there is not ennough help. Game of the year for now...
  88. May 18, 2011
    Can we at last put tot bed that games like Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Dragon Age are NOT real cRPG's! This game and it's predecessor, along with Skyrim later in the year, show that Bioware and others now release Action-Adventures and call them RPG's when they are not! Thank god for European publishers like CD Projekt, that still give us deep, mature PC cRPG's like the good old days!
  89. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPG I've ever played! It is a game with incredible historical depth, with rich graphics, and a nonlinear story. If you like RPG for adults, meaning that you do not feel that you are taken for idiots, and if you like mature story, then this game is for you. It is beautiful in every sense of the term.
  90. May 18, 2011
    The only reason not to buy The Witcher 2 is 1) You´re a console fanboy (Idiot)
    2) Have a Low-spec PC
    Otherwise this is a must-play. Visuals are amazing, combat is challenging and the Insane difficulty is a cool add-on.
  91. May 21, 2011
    Almost completely flawless; a work of art and an RPG masterpiece. My only qualm is with the new clunky and overly simplified inventory/journal/quest/codex screen.
  92. May 19, 2011
    Saying that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an insulting understatement. The story has a lot of branching paths. Three or four playthroughs will not be enough. Combat is kind of hard to understand to begin with. But once you get the past the hurdle, it will feel like that you have mastered something important. Graphics wise, the game just looks great. It might be DX9, but it's good. The only downside is that you need a monster machine to run it at full settings. Single GPU cards just can't handle it. Or maybe there is something wrong with the coding of the game. I hope that CDPR will fix that with patches.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of KIngs can be compared to -- dare I say it -- Baldur's Gate 2: SOA. It is simply epic. Thank you CD Projekt RED for developing a PC game that the PC gaming community really deserved. It feels good to be remembered as a gamer.
  93. Jun 7, 2011
    Great RPG, not as much freedom of customization or discovery as in fallout series or first dragon age, but decent combat system, beautiful graphics, great plot, and simply put one of the best RPGs to come out this year so far.
  94. May 18, 2011
    I'm only giving this game a 10 to balance out all the trolls who try to impersonate "Bioware employees" and attempt to make the company look bad. Though I don't think the Witcher 2 is quite exactly deserving of a perfect score, it comes quite close. The new graphics engine, cinematic presentation, varied full-fleshed out gameplay, and dynamic story make the game one of the best RPG I've played in recent years. It's not only a big improvement from its predecessor, but also a game that pushes the frontiers and expectations of modern RPGs.
    However it does have a couple of minor flaws. First of all, the game can be quite difficult, even on the easiest levels. It challenges you play tactically and figure out how to take each enemy down without getting yourself killed, but sometimes you may be killed on multiple instances before you finally pass a combat sequence. Also, the introduction doesn't give much of a tutorial, so beginners may find the game initially a bit confusing. All in all though, the Witcher 2 is a superb game that pushes the genre in its own way.
  95. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 : Assassins of Kings is one of the best Action role - playing game ever made by human being. Ladies and gentlemen, here is a candidate for a game of the year.
  96. May 18, 2011
    Been playing for approximately 10 hours, game has been absolutely excellent so far. The graphics (especially the environments) are beautiful. The story deals with mature and morally ambiguous themes, with multiple endings and game path. The presentation is a really interesting take on non-linear gameplay. I'm not sure I'd call it non-linear so much as a collection of linear story arcs which can be played in any order. It's a smart way to accomplish non-linearity, as it's makes for a strong narrative while still giving the player the freedom to play as they see fit. Those who played the first Witcher will be glad to know the combat system has been completely revamped. The combo system is gone, and in its place, a true real-time combat system. Because of this, spells are integrated more seamlessly than in the previous, and you'll likely be using a combination of sword play, spells, and bombs on the fly in most engagements.

I haven't had too many issues with instability like others have reported and I'm running the steam version. All and all, an excellent action rpg for an age group of 18+ with a more refined gaming palate. If you like RPG's, definitely buy this game.
  97. May 21, 2011
    This is the RPG I've been waiting for since Oblivion. Non-Linear with exceptional writing and voice acting, TW2 is a seminal achievement that won't hold your hand and will challenge you consistently. The attention to detail here is amazing, from Geralt scratching his head while talking to NPCs, to crows suddenly scattering as you walk by. I won't rehash what so many others have already covered, so just do yourself a favor and buy this release from CDProjekt. Cheers! Expand
  98. May 26, 2011
    I've been looking forward to this one for awhile, and I really wanted to like it, but I'm giving up. The game runs buttery smooth on my rig yet, for some unknown reason, I have to tell Geralt to do something 7 or 8 times before he actually does it. And I mean I literally tell him to do it, because I have time to shout "PARRY! PARRY YOU STUPID SON OF A-" before he gets in the stance. Then I attempt a basic slash and he decides it's the perfect time to practice his Triple Salchow. I also appreciated the way the game attempted to explain the awful controls using the world's smallest font while I was in the middle of combat. Unfortunately, I can't comment on whether or not the controls function properly with a gamepad because it refuses to recognize any. I'm done. The story is...meh, the graphics are pretty, the sound is alright (if you like people constantly shouting "PLOUGH THE LILLIES") and...no, that's it. The rest sucks. Expand
  99. May 17, 2011
    CD Projekt RED: Assassins of Kings (Bethesda & BioWare)? Well... YES. This game has couple of bugs, but as a whole product is just one of the best games, I've ever seen. Long live the King! No need to say more. Instead I will just play more...
  100. May 18, 2011
    Good graphics, decent story line and most importantly, the game is generally IMPROVED over the last Witcher with more activitys to be involved with in the game. I was also happy how they improved the games load time and diffaculties. It could be harder but meh. I would give this game a 8.5/10 but seeing many DA2 fanboys created account after account to give DA2 a 10 and 0 for TW2 out of FEAR that they don't have a grasp on what a real RPG is and are generally pathetic people, I will give this game a 10 to help offset their emo retardness a little. Expand
  101. Jun 4, 2011