8.4

1. May 21, 2011
    If HBO made a CRPG, it would be The Witcher 2. A wonderfully realized and textured dark fantasy world, with colorful adult dialogue that transcends the juvenile fare in many rpgs, reminiscent of "A Game of Thrones". Difficult decisions with no simple "good/bad" path spamming, have consequences felt down the road all through the game. Truly beautiful graphics with dynamic real time combat that will see you flying around the battlefield dispatching foes with a dizzying array of lethal moves. Minor difficulty scaling issues can make some earlier parts of the game more challenging than they should be, but it wont be long before the game is making you feel like a true grandmaster of lethal, magically augmented swordplay.

RPG of the year, hands down.
  2. May 21, 2011
    From a Roleplayer's point of view this game definitely is everything Dragon Age 2 should have been. Where DA2 was - by far - the most disappointing title of the last couple of years, the Witcher 2 is - by far - the best RPG-title I've played since Dragon Age - Origins. And I think it will stay that way for a long time, cuz' it's absolutely brilliant. I'm actually pretty much surprised by the fact that there are a few Negative User reviews at all. Either those come from envious DA2-programmers (they did it before *grin*), or they are written by folks who expected a brainless hack'n'slasher with a low-complexity-storyline like DA2. In the latter case, the game is nit to be blamed, but the person who bought the game. I also read one particular review written by a frustrated player whose PC couldn't handle the game's hardware-requirements. Again, don't blame the game but blame yourself. My system is three years old by now, but I'm running Witcher 2 on 'High'-settings without any problem at all. Conclusion : best game of 2011 so far, and of the best all-time-RPGs. I already wonder if Skyrim will be able to equal this RPG-jewel. Expand
  3. May 21, 2011
    Okay, seriously, must I make an account on here to contribute to the troll fight? Honestly, guys.. come on.. judging by the sheer immaturity of all these 0-1 reviews I have to assume you are either 12, a seriously butthurt fan or, even worse, someone employed by EA/Bioware. Let me tell you.. I have played and enjoyed EVERY bioware game that ever came out, and, freakishly enough, even DA2 had its moments.. but honestly.. let's just admit it.. from a hardcore RPG-ers point of view it's a sad, rushed and recycled game, which claws its way to a 7/10 at best through a couple of clever dialogues and one decent party member. Now why this would be so hard to accept that you have to troll the scores of a game which is clearly superior in EVERY aspect, as pretty much agreed on by every non-biased professional reviewer out there is beyond me.. but just stop, please.. you're only embarrassing yourselves. Expand
  4. May 21, 2011
    Extraordinary beautiful scenery, story is mature and game play, while not perfect, is highly enjoyable! TW2 is a real RPG game with huge amount of possibilities, "realistic" NPCs, complex choices that has real consequences on the story. A+++
  5. May 21, 2011
    Finally, a story-driven game that delivers a complete story-based experience, rather than just a plot line and some well developed characters , stuffed haphazardly into the framework of a game.

Graphically, the game is simply gorgeous, and highlights what can be done with a top of the line card these days. The music is solid and sets the tone of the game play well without being so
    intrusive that it makes me stop what I'm doing just to listen (or to turn it off in the case of games with musical scores that I don't particularly enjoy). The characters I've met so far have been engaging and believable, but my highest praise so far is reserved for the world itself: The world of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings simply breathes life, and the attention to detail that has gone into it makes everything built upon that world so much more compelling. The graphics are a part of that, but with respect to soldiers being rallied by their King or merely siting by the fire and chatting each other up, all the way to the in-game cut-scenes which show an interrogator pouring a drink, complete with animations, there doesn't appear to be any aspect of this game that has been cut down for the sake of convenience. As far as story-telling in the gaming medium goes, this game is unsurpassed. No longer just plot points strung together by filler combat, this game shows the true potential of gaming as a vehicle for escapism and engagement like no other game in the last 10 years.

Compared to The Witcher, combat in the sequel has also been refined, the result being more engaging than simply waiting for the string of attacks to end before clicking to add another link to the chain. However, while it is more immediate, there are not so many moves for the player to make that it becomes a frantic button-masher. Timing your parries and rolls (and yes, there is a lot of rolling... perhaps too much for my taste, exciting though it can be at times), as well as making judicious use of Signs, is crucial in this game, but success hinges upon a player identifying and reacting to the styles of attacks (and defenses) used by enemies, rather than on the mechanical style of the first game. In other words: You've got to pay attention to how your enemies are attacking, rather than focus solely on what your Geralt is doing.

The one true criticism I have for this game so far lies with the quick time events. Frantically right-clicking in response to a mouse-icon on the screen to winch an arbalest, or waiting for the appropriate letter key to begin flashing on the screen during a boxing match, adds little to the experience and nothing to the story, and hearkens back to the emphasis on mechanics, rather than characterization or story (or "immersion", or however you want to label it), that was prevalent in the first game in this franchise.

Beyond that, however, lies a true gem of PC Gaming, and one that no fan of the genre should miss. But for my own belief that no game is or ever can be perfect, this is surely have been the game that would have earned that score from me.
  6. May 21, 2011
    Finished this game, was never able to finish BG, DA, ME, NWN or any other RPG's since Deus Ex. Every one of them gets boring after 50% story. Now onto 2nd play-through.
  7. May 21, 2011
    One of the greatest RPGs of this year so far, Great storyline and good use of decisions to affect the outcome of certain effects, Excellent beautiful graphics and memorable characters, Good side quests keeps things interesting and a good selection of weapons and armor.
  8. May 21, 2011
    I have played this game into the second chapter and while I've run into a few fights that were pretty tough I have no complaints, the game runs smoothly and is absolutely beautiful to look at, the sweeping vistas and grand scale are marvelous, the game play mechanics are easy to master and soon your lobbing bombs and using fire signs with the best of them.

The characters are well
    portrayed, voiced and animated, the side quests are fun and varied (I love beating people up bare knuckle style so I'm glad that's still in the game) and the NPC's aren't as annoying as they are in other games.

If your like your Rpg's immersive, fun, mature and beautifully made then the Witcher 2 has everything you need.
  9. May 22, 2011
    Very good game, good story, believable and likable characters, Great graphics and gameplay. Few minor glitches here and there but are only small and do not matter. I find the environment in which you play immerses you into the game very well, hearing mutters of a conversation as you walk past etc I will definitely play through again and again. Normally not much of an RPG fan, but this game has surely gotten my attention. I do not understand these people giving it a bad review, either they've got such a crappy system that they cant run it or are bioware nuts or just down right idiotic. This game takes the cake in the RPG genre Expand
  10. May 21, 2011
    An amazing game.
    A game for people that don't need their hands held when they think they need to pee.
    A mature game with grey decisions that have real consequences for the player.
    A mix of control styles for different events.
    Fascinating enemies, huge beautiful areas. (Not the same tiny little zones re-used multiple times)
  11. TMT
    May 21, 2011
    This game should get Bioware worried, maybe it already did if you look at the few over the top negative comments here. The Witcher 2 leaves the original Dragonage behing and Dragonage 2 is not coming even close. Please Bioware get your act together, you've been my number 1 game company in the world. But now my vote goes to CDProject & Withcer 2. Enough said.
  12. May 25, 2011
    I am both amazed at the improvements to Geralt's virtual world as I am disappointed in the new combat system. I was a big fan of The Witcher, and I am learning to enjoy The Witcher 2. The Witcher had me from the first hour of play. The Witcher 2 does not have the same magic, IMHO. I'm sure the forthcoming patch will improve things. Kudos to everything but the dumbed down console style play. The latter along with weakening the character does not make for a great for a better game. The authors should have stuck to PC or programmed a separate track for PC. Still entertaining. Expand
  13. May 22, 2011
    Game looks absolutely fantastic... Great writing... The well narrated non-linear story.. Nice... very nice... I'm love it :) Well done CD Projekt Red !!!!!!
  14. May 22, 2011
    I'v finished the game on hard level. My system is Win7 64. Game never crashed, tiny bug in inventory (bombs in slot). I bouth my computer 1yr ago and im playing on high options and it goes fluently (without camera mblur). Its beautiful game, great story, characters and plot. I reccomend it to everyone.
  15. May 22, 2011
    This is a fantastic game. In having played many since Neverwinter Nights through Oblivion and Dragon Age 1&2 this is a great game. Its got a substantial story unlike just a good game like Mass Effect. The books around it are weak as they are around Dragon Age. These characters have a real feel of depth and richness and cruelty. The issues are complex. Some bits are really hard to get through and some battles a true effort. The gameplay is a delight and the graphics fantastic and fast. Its a pleasure not to have endless decisions about what is the character like. Its excellent value. Expand
  16. May 22, 2011
    This game is very good RPG. Beautiful history and super graphics, interesting quests, super gameplay and wonderful atmosphere makes it extremely. CD Project Red, good job!
  17. May 22, 2011
    Stunning graphics, mature story, good and challenging combat system(which still need some fine tuning), choices that are not obvious, plot paths leading to different locations depending on your decisions, all things considered witcher 2 is probably biggest positive supprise of 2011(negative one being DA2 probably), if you love rpgs you must try it..
  18. May 22, 2011
    Absolutely phenomenal game, made â
  19. May 22, 2011
    In the past few years, RPG fans have begun to worry that their favorite genre is becoming watered down, using recent games like Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2 as evidence. The Witcher 2 breaths new life into the genre. Tactical combat, convincing dialogue, towering boss fights and an intriguing narrative separate this ambitious game from it's competition. If Bethesda's RPGs are the pinnacle of freedom, then CD Projekt Red may just have displaced Bioware as the pinnacle of RPG narrative. Does the future of the RPG genre lie, not in America or Japan, but Europe? The Witcher 2 certainly presents a strong argument for this. Expand
  20. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I started to play RPG games as a child and I have experienced a lot. I can say that The Witcher 2 is my favourite RPG game of ALL TIME. Graphics, story-line, battle system, characters, music - everything is perfect. I hadn't had so much fun playing for a long time... After I have finished the game, I've started the game again, now on hard difficulty. TW2 ROCKS!! Expand
  21. May 22, 2011
    A great piece of a RPG here. Combat is difficult at first look but when you get into it, it will you reward you with a lot of satisfaction (I`m playing on hard difficulty). It`s not simple hack and slash, you need to think a lot and use all the stuff you have with you to be successful. World and environment are beautiful. Thanks to the new Red Engine graphics will blow your mind if set on high/ultra. But the ultimate flow of this game is the story. I couldn`t stop myself from playing just to see what will happen next. I hadn`t such feeling from times of Planescape Torment and Baldurs Gate. It`s sad to see games like that so rare now days. Recommended for every true ROLE playing gamer out there. P.S. Game has some minor issues but most of them will be patched soon I believe. Expand
  22. May 22, 2011
    The Witcher 2's world is interesting. Yet as it is playing this game is a chore. Technical issues kill the immersion while an awkward UI make the most mundane things painful. You may grind through it for the story's sake. But this won't be pleasant.

The story's guiding word is 'disillusionment'. The Witcher 2's world is a hard, complicated place to live in. Death is commonplace, little
    exists in the way of values and survival is key. Few people want to do good, and even when they do seldom are there clear cut alternatives. There are meaningful choices to be made, with interesting (if grim) consequences. But the game makes enjoying the story very, very hard.

The interface is awkward. Picking objects up or speaking to characters forces you to painstakingly position your character, point at things with a sluggish cursor. This is how you'll spend 90% of the time in the game. Think "washing the dishes" level of fun.

Combat has potential, totally squandered. The system is both action oriented and tactical. Hard. But the character is stiff and awkward. You press a button and find yourself checking whether it's actually executed (I'm pressing the parry button but is this the parry stance or not?), or press one to be completely surprised by the result (accidental target switch, jumping into the middle of a group of enemies... or no action at all). You constantly die due to some random action you didn't want. Seldom do you actually make a mistake in any other sense. Makes you feel clumsy and irritated.

The game's performance is uneven, and generally bad. Lowering the settings to a level where 90% of the game gets you 30 fps won't prevent random stuttering. This kills all immersion, especially since this often happens during cutscenes.

All this makes The Witcher 2 a hard game to enjoy. I feel as if it was a prototype of something really nice. If you're the person who loves a new gadget and doesn't care that it doesn't work half the time, and is a pain to use anyhow - go ahead.
  23. May 22, 2011
    I didn't play much in the last few years simply because of the fact that there wasn't a game that could keep me entertained for a long time. Luckily it has changed due to W2. There are no words that can describe how good the game is: the plot, graphics and music are very well combined together. It's like in the old times when games where created for gamers by gamers and not only to bring profits selling weak products. Don't hesitate and buy W2, you won't regret it. And BTW, good job CDProjekt ! Expand
  24. May 22, 2011
    this game is an absolute masterpiece...i have cried because it is that awesome....the beginning can be a little hard for noobs, since the game doesn't hold your hand in any way. Combat is challenging, voice acting is top notch, specially for the main characters. The other npcs's could use a little animation work, but who cares, because once you get into the cities you will be blown away. I cried when I got to Vergen. You thought Orzammar was nice in Origins? wait till you see a real dwarven city. Bioware, learn you stuff...in terms of decision making and story, you do not hold a candle to the witcher 2. The music, it is one of the most breathtaking pieaces you will hear in any game. It is not a ripoff of Lord of the rings, or some this like that like dragon age. The world is a living masterpiece. From npc's to birds, to the level of detail which, i dare say, looks dx11 sometimes. In terms of graphics, this game destroys crysis 2 and sometimes even crsysis 1. If you have the pc to run it, like I do, consider yourself lucky to be playing such a beautiful game. I am almost done with chapter 2, and the build up, is one of the most rewarding experiences in any game. The witcher 2, is now, my GOTY choice and it will stay like that, because no bioware game will ever come close to this, ever. Expand
  25. May 22, 2011
    It is grotesque how fanboys trying to discredit this great and beautiful game! Jealousy .... jealousy:)
    Now the trick they played in TW1. And they say "Oh yeah, I played in TW1. The Witcher 2 is much worse .... etc That I'm disappointed .. blah ... blah blah ... I will give only 1"
    Blah .. blah .. blah ... Really poor game play are rated higher. People do not be ridiculous! This game is
    the worst case can be evaluated on the 7th Oh .. no, rather, on the 8th This is the truth! You know it! You should be ashamed!
    And something about the game - is so great that it will defend itself.

It is much better than DA2. Who knows, you might be better than Skyrim. I still do not know ... but I know TW2 is unique.
  26. May 22, 2011
    This is a truly awesome game, one of the best cRPGs, I've ever played. I was sucked in from the beginning and simply cannot stop playing. The dialogues are the strongest part of that game. I laughed a lot! Action oriented game play is also something fresh in this genre. I enjoyed killing monsters and the bad guys a lot.
  27. May 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best game ever. I never play such a good rpg since BG2. This game have everything. Realistic world, nice graphics.I love geralt and CD projekt.

Realy good work. Thx
  28. May 22, 2011
    game of the year, rpg of the year...bioware is jealous and they cant handle how amazing this game is...as far as i am concerned, bioware is dead for pc gamers, and all hail the new king! phuck you bioware!
  29. May 23, 2011
    First things first. The whole atmosphere is fascinating, the story couldn't be better, the characters are believable, the synch is more or less ok. This game is a must buy category you cant miss it. But there are some drawbacks also. The combat system is a mess especially the targeting system. If you are about to look around in combat to see how many dudes are going to hit your back the targeting system screws up and starts jumping between all characters and tags the farest. It wouldnt be the ultimate problem but if you move your mouse just little it switches target. The boss fights are also a little too challenging. But it worths your many anyway. Just dont be too disappointed with the ending. Expand
  30. May 28, 2011
    I finished the game last night for the first time and I have to say I'm disappointed. Last night I completed Act III AND the Epilogue. Yes, they are short enough to complete in one night, about 2.5 hrs in fact. What happened CDProject? Did you run out of money? Time? Enthusiasm? The ending is piss-poor. The story is such a huge build up, the King has been killed, all other lands will be fighting over the Kingdom, we have to find the Kingslayer. Then at the end, nothing. Nothing is resolved. You get a cut-scene where a few people are talking, you have a bit of a fight then that's it. The Epilogue is you finding the Kingslayer. And even selecting every conversation option it only lasts 5 minutes. You get a crafting diagram for some really good armour but you only get to wear it for 5 minutes. You get a crafting diagram for a really good silver sword but you don't get the final ingredient until the very end of Act III but there's no one round to make it so what's the point? Unless the free DLC's that CDProject keep going on about extend the end of the game and aren't just some stupid additional quests that last about an hour, then CDProject turned this game from GOTY material into just another good RPG. Which is a real shame as up to the end of Act II it's amazing and deserves 10/10. So disappointing. I give it 7.5/10. I think a lot of these reviews are over-generous. And that's probably because a lot of them haven't played it through to the end yet. Oh well, guess I'll go back to the Witcher 1. Expand
  31. May 23, 2011
    I find it very strange that aslkaz has written the exact same review for the Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2, just changed a few words here and there? In both of the reviews he says the game is rubbish and you should get the other one instead. Yet he has only given The Witcher 2 a 2 rating and Dragon Age 2 a 4 rating? Weird. I think someone is trying to rile up the natives.

Anyway, this
    game is brilliant. The combat is better than in the first one as it is more intuitive. The graphics are amazing. Conversation options really help you to get into the story, I find myself doing 'just one more quest' before turning off my pc. I'm really enjoying the fact that you can change all Geralts clothing this time round and you can also make a lot of really good stuff. Anybody who is having problems with the weight limit, their is a fix you can download off the web which reduces all timber, iron, cloth, etc to 0.1 instead of 1. I found the link on gog.com.

I like the fact that you can eradicate monsters from an area this time round by destroying their nests. You feel like you are really doing something to help the locals rather than just 'kill drowner, rinse and repeat' ad infinitum.

I'm finding it very hard to make some of the big decisions, guess I'm just going to have to play it through a few times! There are 4 beginnings and 16 endings so plenty of replay value.

I would urge you to get this game, you won't regret it.

As a side note, I have nad no problems installing and running this game. Installation and online certification went smoothly, downloaded a small patch and installed, downloaded the Troll DLC and my free pre-order bonus with no problem. Have been playing now for 30+ hrs and had no crashes, no stuttering, just a beautiful game.
  32. May 23, 2011
    This game is brilliant. I've been waiting for it for a long time. Finally, when Witcher 2 came to me I just say "OMFG thats osom". Very interesting and mature plot. Combat system is much more different than in other cRPG games. If you want to survive you have to think, not just click a mouse button. Graphics is beautiful. I've never seen so colorful and detailed world in game. The best thing about this game it's nolinear - there are 16 various endings! I recommend Witcher 2 for everyone who likes cRPG games, but if you don't like that type it doesn't matter - just buy it - you won't be regret. 10/10 Expand
  33. May 23, 2011
    What I can tell ? This game is great for me. Dialogs, combat system, story, animations, graphics. On my old PC i can play with high details. Optimization is great. For me, game is candidate for Game of the Year. I think it can be one of the BEST PC game EVER.
  34. May 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. bardzo mi siÄ Expand
  35. May 23, 2011
    Amazing story, game and sound, the characters are designed very well. little weak final and sometimes long distances to walk. To understand the story you have to listen very carefully to every dialogue, and you should play the witcher 1 first, but its worth it!
  36. May 23, 2011
    Best RPG i ever played in a long time. My candidate for Game of the Year 2011. Beautyfull graphics, nonlinear and addictive story, innovative combat system, great dialogs are just a few of many advantages.
  37. May 23, 2011
    GOTY 2011. I read through comments and i can only add that the game world artistic style is incredible. This is something that is rarely seen in any other game if ever, and it is all around you everywhere you turn. Get it and feast your eyes on the best looking world transferred into silicon chipsets
  38. May 23, 2011
    This game is by far the best fantasy RPG on the market right now. It has the most beautifully detailed and immersive environments I've ever seen in a game. The characters and acting are also top notch. All NPC's are all unique and beautifully realized. The story is very well written. Plenty of extra stuff in there if you've played the first game or read any of the books. Combat is more action oriented and an improvement over the first games. All in all, I've haven't been this sucked into a game in a long time. Love the fact that a second play-through will let me see whole cities and characters that you didn't see in your first play-through simply by making different decisions. A great moment for PC gaming and for the fantasy RPG genre in general. If more developers put even have the love in their games that CDPR does, we'll be all better for it. Expand
  39. May 23, 2011
    Witcher 2 is an amazing game in every aspect.CDPR have outdone themselves with this on. Its got beautiful graphics, unforgettable landmarks and enjoyable quests and so much more. There is no load screens between areas and above all of these they've improved the combat system that some people were complaining about in the first game(although i liked the combat system). This game is truly a mature game made for adults. Unlike other RPGs, there is no good or evil in witcher 2. You will have to make your own choices and most of the time they could be very tough.

To AMD graphic card users, AMD has already begun working on the new driver and crossfire profile for Witcher 2. So be patient. It will get a big performance boost once the driver is out.

Words said. Go Out and Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  40. May 23, 2011
    Kudos CD Project. Awesome game, GOTY in my book. It is what an RPG is all about, in depth story and amazing game play. Choices impacts the game so much that you can see different towns all together. Graphics are amazing and it's by far the most gorgeous, I'm on GTX560 Ti and its really beautiful on medium specs (if you can run it on High, you're in for a treat). Dragon Age 2 was a huge letdown, but this game definitely brought a tear to my eye. GO GET IT! Expand
  41. May 24, 2011
    The best cRPG of decade. GOTD (Game of the decade) Amazing story, brillant graphic- This game is must-buy!!!! and i agree with @RogerEbertJr Bioware fanboys ratting game down.
  42. May 24, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is simply everything PC gaming was waiting and dying for. And the best thing is that CD-Project didn't have the funds to overhype this game. All the publicity it got and gets is just because of one reason; The Witcher 2 breathes quality. Sure, it has a few bugs and minor downfalls; sometimes Geralt gets stuck, the game crashed to my desktop once and the fighting isn't fantastic.. but hell; the story(telling) is epic, you really get the feeling that your choices do influence the story, the characters are great and the atmosphere is fantastic. And off course the graphics.. AWESOME! This is one of the reason why I play my games on a PC! It really shows what a game can be when it gets developed only for PC only and doesn't have to make concessions for those bloody consoles. In my opinion this game is one of the best games for the last couple of years and deserves to become GOTY 2011.
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK CD-PROJECT!
  43. May 24, 2011
    This game is groundbreaking and unique. Best RPG I have ever played!
    Difficult! Demanding! Intelligent! Funny! Intriguing! Epic and beautiful!
    Heh ... The Witcher 2 "Assassin of Kings. "
    Yes! Witcher Geralt of Rivia - Assassin of RPG "Kings" such as Bioware:)
  44. May 24, 2011
    GREAT GAME, MUCH BETTAR THAN OUR PIECE OF **** DWAGON AGE 2 THAT WE PRODUCE IN OUR STUDIOS. MAKE SUW TO BUY ALL OF OUA DLC FOR DWAGON AGE 2: THE REVENGE OF THE ANCIENT EVIL OR WE BAN YOU. END OF RINE
  45. May 24, 2011
    I am a bit disappointed with the second part of The Witcher Saga. It's still a great game but some things really piss me off. My biggest problem is the length of the game, its shorter than the first one but at least the authors got the balls to admit it (watch dev diary). My only hope lies in those free DLC's with extra side quests. The story tries to be as much enjoyable as the original books by Sapkowski but fails miserably in some points along the way. Anyone who read the books will admit that some dialogues feel clumsy and totally unnecessary. Bestiary is full of monsters but what about some regular animals that can be dangerous as well, no wolves, no bears no other predators. Even monsters are limited in variety. Again, there were much more types of monsters in the book, heck even the first game had them more. Some people bash the meditation system (drinking potions before the fight no potions in the actual battles) but that how it works folks read the books and you will know.
    Overall the game is good but I'm thinking about Extended Edition like with the first one. Improved inventory, better locking system, more balanced difficulty levels, smaller saves (16MB for a single save WTF??). Until then only 8.0 but a real strong one.
  46. May 24, 2011
    Witcher series is going down with this one. From the start you can tell it is "console" oriented - fist fights dumbed down with some button mashing, the same with first boss fight(forgot its name). But the worst part is that this game is unfinished - lots of bugs, clunky interface, clunky movement, clunky combat, most annoying doors in any computer game i have played and quest tracking from hell. Not to mention loot picking. I loved first part but this game is far far away. Big step backwards. I've fooled myself that it would get better later on but i gave up at the end of act 2.
    Watching all the positive reviews I am really sorry that my favorite genre is going that way. Biggest disappointment of the year.
    I am really sorry that i wasted ANY money on this game.
  47. May 24, 2011
    this game pretend to be game of the year. why? it's not perfect, got some flaws. but i can count by fingers on my hand games, that have soul and will be remembered very long time. trust me Witcher saga will be. put those DA or Skyrims away with their boring gameplay, made for cash. real games created with passion are very rare today. it's in our hand to help small studios like CD Projekt with their awesome work in future.

and everybody now f*** Jim Sterling (from Destructoid) who gave 6/10 to this game. propably no balls or no skills or both. probs he took cash for it from someone.
  48. May 27, 2011
    I must admit that I am not a hardcore RPG fan and that might be why the high tempo fighting was a huge pro for me. The inventory system can be a bit tedious at times but it doesn't take anything away from this masterpiece.

In a nutshell, The Witcher 2 has great interactive story, fluent exiting combat and a lot of room to develop your character towards your desired path.
  49. May 24, 2011
    I loved The Witcher, Part I. In the Witcher II, The story is very mature, well-rounded, and very rich. The environments in The Witcher II are especially breathtaking. Everything in the environment is mired in the world they live it - it all simply looks like it belongs. It runs perfect on my two year old machine. No lags, no stutter, and the load times are FANTASTIC - there really aren't any.

The combat system is great, though it's very unforgiving, and you will have to make sure you have enough bombs, traps, and potions to survive even minutes in the swamp. Where Drowners may have been killed six at once in the first game, they will be killing you this time if you aren't prepared. Every conflict is life-or-death. Being outnumbered 3 to 1 is a serious problem, and you'll have to plan your way out if you want to stay alive!

My only complaint is the menu system and the lack of storage in the game. The Witcher II makes a much bigger deal of crafting than the first game, thus should have put a bigger emphasis on in-game storage. With all the items you need to craft in the game, it's nearly impossible not to get frustrated with having to run back and forth between missions to sell your stuff just to be able to run again. Most of the stuff you end up selling, you'll inevitably need to buy again to craft (at ten times the sale price!). I usually don't mod my games, but CDProjectRed has made modifications very simple. I found a mod that made items weightless, which took care of this problem. I really hope they add a storage chest to the game, as it's a major fallback for people like me who are pack rats. The menu system is unintuitive compared to The Witcher I. One of the things I noticed right away was that when I read a book, I had no way of knowing it had already been read. I just don't sell my books anymore, just in case I miss one.

Other than the storage and menu issues, it's bound to be my favorite game of the past several years. Games like this are one in a million, despite it's few minor flaws in the face of it's successes. I'm a lifetime gamer, and own several tens of thousands of dollars worth of PC games. This one is in my top ten. For me, that's huge.
  50. May 24, 2011
    Best RPG I have played in years. I easily give this game a 10. The best way to describe it would be... Baldur's Gate 2 in a fully realized, beautiful 3D world, with more grit and consequence for your actions. This game will not hold your hand, it will test your intelligence, and if you have been stuck in that easy kills/easy rewards mode from playing more recent RPGs, it will be a breath of fresh air. Sure it's not perfect, but most of its imperfections lie in some menu technicalities, which in my opinion should not bring the score down when compared to all the things this game does in an amazing way: the story, the graphics, the characters, the challenge, and the satisfaction you feel when you slay a group of tough enemies. No joke, this game will have you grinning as you play it. EPIC. Expand
  51. May 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I decided to make an account to give a fair review of the game (Iâ Expand
  52. May 24, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is simply one of the best games ever made! Very complex story, awesome fighting system, really beautiful graphics - this game has it all. Game of the year IMO.
  53. May 25, 2011
    The best game of 2011 so far. TW1 was the best RPG since old Interplay games, TW2 even better.
    Designers need to be praised in all the ways, they did fantastic work, amazingly beautiful game!
  54. May 25, 2011
    Just finished it for the 1st time and I know I'll do it at least once more. It's not perfect, still the best game I've played for a long long time. The Witcher's world is a beautiful place with amazing sights (the graphics is jaw-dropping), but far from a fairy tale. It's a cruel, complex world with vivid characters and great non-linear storyline. And it's true: it's not for those who cover their ears when someone swears, or close their eyes while seeing naked woman (or man) in a movie. It's an adult game including strong language, sex scenes and really mature approach to the in-game reality. But if it's acceptable in Hollywood blockbusters, why wouldn't it be in computer games? Expand
  55. May 25, 2011
    Sensational game. CD Projekt will be rubbing shoulders with Blizzard and Valve soon if they keep up this quality. The attention to detail throughout is on a new level, you can't help but stop and gaze through a markets goods or simply watch villagers as they go about their day-to-day business. The story so far is enthralling and the character design is Blizzard standard. Hat's off to CD Projekt, I've not been so happy with a purchase in as long as I can remember.â Expand
  56. May 25, 2011
    I was really hyped up for this game. I played through Witcher 1 three times when it first came out, because the game was so engaging and the combat so fluid. However, I have to say I am extremely disappointed in Witcher 2. For one, it feels like a console port. Moving with WASD seems more like moving with a D-Pad on a controller, than the smooth FPS style movement of the first game. The key binds are even setup outside the game in a console port style. The combat has been nerfed to the point of being trivial. In the first game you had three stances with stacking combos. In Witcher 2, you have two attacks. LMB is fast, RMB is slow. Also forget parrying or dodging in a sword fight, if you do not hit the button several seconds before being attacked, expect to be hit. What happened to spontaneous parrying and dodging that was so fun in the first game, and is expected in an action RPG? Only CD Projekt can answer that one. Game play aside, there are many game breaking technical issues. I have an i5 760, 4GB RAM, and an nvidia 460. I should be able to run the game flawlessly on High, or at least Medium settings. However, I barely get 15 FPS in Low settings. This seems to be an issue for many nvidida users, with no current fix from either nvidida or CD Projekt. Another troubling bug is if you have a 7.1 headset. The game is not compatible with these headsets and will result in no game audio. The only suggested fix I found from CD Projekt on the official forums was to disable 7.1 with the headset software, or use on-board audio. Unfortunately the G35 does not have any way to revert to or force stereo or 5.1 audio. Using on-board would be great, if I had it. I would not be concerned with this incompatibility if this was some obscure brand headset. However, this is a Logitech Gaming series headset. It is beyond me how this was not caught in internal testing.

Buyer Beware. The game is pretty, and from what little I saw, probably has a good story. Hard to tell with no sound though. While the Critical Reviews might be good, I'd strongly advise caution with game stopping bugs like these. In addition if you think it will play anything like the first game, you are in for a disappointment.
  57. May 25, 2011
    Brilliant game after the disappointment of Dragon Age 2. An involved Story with memorable characters, stunning graphics and an immersive world where the residents actually feel alive. The combat takes some getting used to and makes you plan for encounters before jumping in.

Not a fan of the 'quick time events' particularly and would recommend a thorough read of the manual before
    playing. The standard premium edition box makes a pleasant change from the usual crappy standard plastic DVD case and disc and represents brilliant value for money.

I'm already looking forward to the next game
  58. May 29, 2011
    BioWare could learn from CDPR how to make a real deep RPG game. This is the best game I've played since... The Witcher! Good job CDPR- I'm waiting for 3rd part (alternatively some kind of big expansion :))
  59. May 25, 2011
    At start i was a bit worried if the game will match it predecessor Witcher 1 but already after few minutes within the prologue i knew this was it. The first thing that strikes you is the graphic ofc stunning textures, lights, shadows and it runs smooth like a butter on an old ahtlon 5600+ (2cores) and radeon 4870x2 +4gig ram. The voice acting and character acting is tons better then in the first part. You dont have anymore the feeling that your in some bad doll house. I never felt Witcher 1 to be OMGRPGSTRATEGIC etc...it was just as much as dynamic as Witcher 2 is. The difference is the removal of the active pause (you get a nice slowmotion now wich is awsome made and gives you an in-action feeling) and the rythmic click wich i hated tbh in Witcher 1. If anyone claims thats what made Witcher 1 a better cRPG then Witcher 2 is then he has no clue what cRPG is and was about. The combat is now more action based i give that but it dosent lack the fun from the first Witcher and the changes CDP implemented are quite good (compared to how dragon age 2 got changed or mass effect 2 > Expand
  60. May 25, 2011
    Well made story line, although does fall short at the ending. Good looking graphics. But thats about it for the positives. I had to spend a few hours just trying to get this game to work right. It would not play sound through my headset, and there was a random bug which cause my fps to drop into the single digit range (Radeon 6870). Also for the negatives, theres terrible mouse acceleration or something going on which causes the mouse to 'slide' around and making controlling anything, especially in menus, a pain. Also, the combat is horrid. Expand
  61. May 25, 2011
    I'm writing this little review simply because I believe that you can never say enough positive things about this game. I run a mid-range PC (with a 3.2 Ghz phenom x4 cpu and Radeon HD 5770 gfx card) and I played this game at the recommended (high) settings and I never ran into any problems. The game is gorgeous, the characters are believable and sympathetic, the story is enthralling, and it's a helluva lot of fun. You'll feel like your choices have impact and you'll want to play again and again to see how the story can unfold. It's clear that the developers put a lot of love into this game. If you're a fan of well-made, mature RPGs, then this game is right for you. Do yourself a favor and pick this game up. Expand
  62. May 26, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011. One of bests game ive played after a long time, the graphics are amazing, everything is made with passion, so deep and immerse. TW1 is good, but TW2 is better in all aspects. Thank you CD PROJEKT. You are amazing.
  63. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioware fanboys trying to lower score of Witcher , its only shows how this game is great. CDP RED is new king of cRPG's and nothing change that... This game is a absolutely brilliant. 10/10. Expand
  64. May 26, 2011
    The combat system is terrible. Absolutely terrible. More super mario than an RPG. Solution: they need to add a cheat code so players can bypass the terrible combat sequences. At least then, players can at least access the storyline w/o a hassle. The first Witcher was an amazing. A labor of love. A joy to play from start to end.

This one was damaged by the whims of marketing
    weenies. It is a terrible shame. This was built to the specifications of 12 year olds, instead of being built for the adults that are the real fan base of this series. All they needed to do was upgrade the graphics, smooth out a couple of bugs, and give us more story!!!! I wouldn't buy this series again. I'm also sorry I tarnished the memory (the sheer joy) of the first game with my experience on this one. Expand
  65. May 26, 2011
    By far the most comprehensive beautiful rpg world i've ever played. Speechless. This deserves without any doubt GoTY. You won't find any better rpg nowadays.
    Enjoy it ^^
  66. May 26, 2011
    Fantastic game, without the proper tools to do the job, combat can be hard and frustrating in the beginning, but as you level up it becomes extremely enjoyable with lots of different tactical possibilities. Story is rich and deep and draws you in. Graphics are simply stunning, have yet to see such a beautiful and detailed digital world elsewhere. The game is practically bug free. If you like RPG's its a must buy. Expand
  67. May 31, 2011
    Almost perfect game. Beautiful, state of the art graphics and masterful art. Mesmerizing story and memorable characters. Playing as Geralt of Rivia is both a rewarding and an unforgettable experience. Quests are deeper and more realistic than any other game outside. Treats the player as an adult. Combat is hard yet enjoyable and challenging. Very unlinear story, good choice&consequence and tons of replay value.Free DLC! Amazing premium and collector's edition content. The Cons: Still 1.1 version hasn´t solved all the bugs; there're not many, but some. Expand
  68. May 26, 2011
    I have played every notablle crpg since the late 80s. I can tell you this: the game belongs to that small exclusive clubb of games that represent a quantum leap beyond what has come before it. Super mario 3, zelda link to past, ff-6, starcraft, counterstrike, mario64, baldurs gate 2, DA:O, and now The Witcher 2. This game is made for the intelligent gamer. I usually agree with professional critics but I suspect that thereis some very serious bias going on here as far as the scores this gamehas gotten from ign, and pcgamer and a few others. A 90 is a good score...but if u play this game it will be clear to you why that score is a threat to high quality productions like Witcher 2. It puts them on the same level as gammes like DA 2 and need for speed. Progress in gaming depends on recognition being given where recognition is due. That may be at the cost of say ign getting a Preview exclusive next time EA rolls out a big release, but honesty is what jnournalism, even gaming journalism needs to be about. Pretending like this game is just another aaa release like MW3 is not jjust a diservice to gamers, its a danger to the progression of gaming into an art form.

CDProjeckt Red has very clearly raised the bar in a huge way. Its incidentally a welcome rebuke to the notion that x dollars = y quality game. For approx 10m in development costs these guys mixed in genius and have come out with the best game in years.
  69. May 26, 2011
    Although I never played the first Witcher and have never read any of the written works, I found myself absorbed by the world in The Witcher 2. A consistently gritty, mature atmosphere is present in every gorgeous moment of gameplay. The art design and level of detail at every turn is astounding, though it will strain many machines to the breaking point until the game receives some optimization. The game suffers only a few small missteps; the prologue is very difficult and doesn't offer much in the way of information to help. Inventory management can be a pain, as well as the weight cap. The final act also ends quickly and does not live up to the incredible standards established by the previous chapters. Nevertheless, I would say it is the best RPG I have played since Mass Effect 2, and is a game that puts Dragon Age 2 to absolute shame. If a small Polish game developer can make a game of this astounding quality, how did a storied and respected company like BioWare err so badly with a similarly-intentioned game? If you are a fan of hard, dark, uncompromising RPGs and can maintain the patience to get used to The Witcher 2's systems, you will have a nearly unparalleled experience. Expand
  70. May 26, 2011
    It could have been a contender, instead the Witcher2 is just another console victim. Gone is the quality PC RPG with a deep story, an engaging charters. In it's place is a confusing mess that for some is not even playable. To be fair, this is a beautiful game if you have a PC that can handle it. The environments are beautiful and the amount of invisible walls is far less than other similar game. The cities seem to have some life to them unlike the empty world in Dragon Age where the people don't speak and the doors don't open.

The story is passable, but at times it confuses even it's self. NPC's deliver bits of the story, and then stay in the same location forever. The Prologue really bothered me. Here is our Witcher being interrogated by Roche like they are complete strangers including the initial greeting, but as the Witcher tell his story, you can clearly see that they know each other. A bad start that left me questions where it was going to go from here.

The interface is pure console. While nothing is wrong with that, I enjoy many console game and find that a well done menu system works well with a controller. However, this is so poorly implemented for use with a mouse and keyboard. Icons have no clear meaning, the inventory has no sorting or filtering and for some reason, Geralt has become so dumb that he cannot memorize anything, he has to carry everything with him.

Gameplay is a true mix of good and bad. At times combat seems to work, when you are battling a few enemies it can be enjoyable. But as soon as you add a few more enemies to the mix, it becomes a button clicking mess. Dare to turn your perspective during these battles and you immediately change enemies. Gone is the combat strategy from W1 where timing and clicking at the right time lead to a flurry of moves. In place we have a whirling slashing mess that we have no control over. An please, developers, stop with the QTE's, we do not enjoy them. I don't want limited control, I want full control.

Alchemy has become a frustrating disaster. Apparently Geralt has to know the future. Because the only way to consume potions is to meditate BEFORE you start a battle and no,,there is no healing at all. So save lots. Lastly, is the state of the game. For me it was a constant crash fest. I look forward to going again now the patches have started, but after 3 years of development it should have been better. And forget support, CDProjekt should be ashamed of themselves. Days before the launch, the official forums were taken down, and over a week into the launch, gamers are expressing their frustrations on GOG and Steam, but not in any place that the support behind the game can help. Fans helping fans is what we are are left with.

What I was hoping for, was the Witcher world taken to a new level. What I got was the Witcher world shaken up, half baked, converted from a stat based RPG, to an Action based RPG for the console crowd. Looks like my hopes will need to be directed to Skyrim.
  71. May 26, 2011
    I was quite surprise how good this game is. Regardless what some sites, critics or DA2 fanboys(that are tring to bring the score down) say, its a great game that deserve more than a 89. Storyline, graphics, fun, it goes on.
  72. May 26, 2011
    Hello There
    Witcher is a cool game i must say, I'm from Poland but I wont blindly go with other whos said that Witcher is best game ever blah blah. First of all - Bugs. It should get a title Witcher Bug Catcher. In game is so many bugs: bug in instalation, patcher, DLC, registration. Every one option which is defaut in other games in Witcher is bugged. Its really not cool. OK game has good
    graphics, very clever dialogues, and overall good scenario. Its fun and challenging, in my opinion block system needs to be polished couse in first act game is way to difficult and even two weakest monsters in game are extremly dangerous because Geralt will block after animation attack will end, thats stupid, Should they do something like in Batman Arkham Asylum but hey we get what we get. I should give 9 or 8 score but I cant, I just cant. I know its a polish and I should give nice score but no. Every game deservs a fair score and Witcher didnt devervbe for more than 6. f they repair some of issues You should give 2 more points. Best regards from Poland, sorry for my eng its not perfect Expand
  73. May 26, 2011
    Made an account just to review this game. This is easily one of the best RPGs of the last decade. You can really feel the passion and love the developers put into this game. Everything, every environment, every character has its own unique and interesting personality. The graphics and environments are absolutely breathtaking. They really pull you into the world. The story is mature and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The combat is fast, visceral and exciting requiring fast reflexes and tactical play. It does a great job of being a tactical action RPG, which most games cannot pull off. If you're a serious RPG gamer, you must have this game. Expand
  74. May 27, 2011
    This game is a masterpiece. It is beautiful, challenging and rewarding. The attention to detail is incredible and it contributes to the creation of an amazingly lively world - the best I've ever seen in a game. Keep in mind though that the game requires involvement and willingness to learn how to use the many options and abilities that it has to offer. Otherwise it might just become frustrating to play, because it will not hold you hand. It
    challenges you to think for yourself, it will not show you every step of the
    way. Few games these days treat you like an intelligent person, not like a
    moron. It is a very special experience, which is why I warmly recommend it.
  75. May 27, 2011
    Excellent game! With beautiful graphics and complex world.
    Surprising and innovative.
    Malcontents who are looking only for bugs, they should be ashamed. Besides, half of it is not bugs. Especially in combat. It is rather a novelty. Added to give specificity to the world of Geralt Rivia. Appearance of the hero, his way of fighting, its nature, its capabilities - it is all very specific.
    This is a very clearly defined character.
    This game is not "average", this game is controversial.
    And stirs emotions. But it deserves very high marks.
    From 8 to 10
    No less! If it is too hard for you because you are accustomed to easily play ... well ... Time to grow up! You play or not.
    But be honest in their assessments. It's a great game!

I compared the different RPG. And what? This is one of the best games for a mature player. Others are more for teenagers.
    This year I am waiting for Skyrim yet, but if the story is as boring as Oblivion, then TW will remain No. 1 for me

And another thing ... Bioware fanboys - Kids! - you are ridiculous with your fury.
  76. May 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can express witcher 2 in one word........EXCITING.....simple the best!!!!!:-) a never played such a good game. If I could give more that 10 point a will be do it. Expand
  77. May 27, 2011
    This game is ART... and from gameplay view, it's the best RPG on the market.. how someone can rate this game from 0 till 4 is beyond me.. maybe you angry because a little company from Poland can make better game than the modern Bioware? The combat is the best in a RPG, it's hard, but that's the point.. it is a modern hardcore RPG, so live with it.. you can always read the manual or press the J button and read the Journal.. in the Prolog I died about 6 - 7 times on Normal and that just fine be me.. optimalization is perfect because i have a 3-year old rig, and i can play this game on High a almost everything on (except Ubersampling), with 25 - 35 fps, sometimes it goes to 20 and sometimes to 40 - 50 fps, so I'm very happy with that.. so people, please don't be lazy and play this game the way it's mean to be.. pay attention to Journal, don't just clicking all the time in combat like you would play a Devil May Cry game, but instead play with brain.. even if you don't like this game for some reason, you can't give this game less than 5 points from 10.. if you like hard RPG's, than this is the game for you Expand
  78. May 27, 2011
    Ok, I just took the Witcher 2 off of my computer. Not because I hated the game, but because the new patch caused some problems with the game. The thing is, I don't think I will be putting it back on. This game is thoughtful, gritty, beautiful, and has one of the best individual story lines I've seen in an RPG in many years. Unfortunately, it is all laid to waste by the combat. I am a fan of Ninja Gaiden. Having said that, I do not mind difficult combat. What I do have a problem with, is sluggish and unresponsive combat. I suppose playing with a microsoft controller instead of a keyboard might help a bit, but combat on a keyboard has been little more than an exercise in frustration for me. Clunky and unintuitive are the nicest terms I can use to describe it. In an environment where three or four unblocked strikes can kill one of the toughest Witchers in Temerian history, it stands to reason that the combat should be as polished as possible. I don't mind challenging, or even very challenging, but fighting a control system hell bent on as much micomanagement as possible just seems a little tedious. One of the reasons I loved the Witcher one so much, was because you could play the entire game with just the mouse. The setup was as simple as it was elegant and made for fun, engrossing experience. I could put in the time and effort needed to master the keyboard combat in this game, and I am told it actually gets much easier as you progress and invest in the skill trees, but it just sounds like a chore to me now. I may give it another shot with my new PC controller and see if I can make better progress, but for now I think I'll just try L..A. Noire. Expand
  79. May 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. awesome. great story, characters, funny dialogs and scenes, lots of different outcomes of dialogs, depending on what answer you choose. after 1st patch huge performance improvement. looking forward for next stories about Witcher, since the ending is obviously opened for future.... Expand
  80. May 30, 2011
    Probably one of the best games I'e played in quite awhile. It's beautifully crafted, with greatly defined characters that aren't tacked into the black & white moral sensitivity. The story and plot is great, though the ending is lacking a bit and somewhat disappointing.The graphics are gorgeous. The combat is fun; difficult at times. As some of the exaggerated reviews have stated, it can be a bit lame just dodging and hacking away, but there is still a tactical depth to the game. The combat is still fun, regardless. The ones claiming the Witcher 2 to not being an RPG, are just simply exaggerating and stuck somewhere in the past, thus butthurt along the lines. You can tell the developers put their all into making this piece of art, and they deserve the praise they've gotten so far. Some people just cannot accept change; positive and negative. If you're a fan of most RPGS, and enjoyed the original The Witcher for its storytelling and atmosphere, pick this game up, you won't be disappointed. As for technical issues, most of those have been patched or will be in the future. Some issues are just due to NVIDIA or ATI graphics card drivers; which there are updates for, people just seem to be in the dark on the issue. The developers have stated that all DLC to be released, will be free of charge. Anyway, as I said, fantastic game; definitely game of the year worthy. Expand
  81. May 27, 2011
    This game is the best RPG I've ever played. Though now that I think of it, that's not so much (other RPG's I've played are Oblivion, Morrowind, Nehrim and Mass Effect 1). The beginning was hellishly difficult, but in that satisfying way. Don't get me wrong, you WILL die, a lot in fact. I always hoped for a game in which the amount of effort you put in your skills and equipment pays out- in the end of this game you will feel divine, as the 3 soldiers who killed you oh-so-many-times in the prologue, can be slayed with an epic cut-scene after one click of the x button. In most games you hardly get to feel the effect of your decisions, in this game I had to spend hours thinking of my next move, and my next choice (I'm so so sorry Roche). The ending, though rushed to some, was suitably epic, violent yet peaceful, settling yet cliffhanging. With no doubt, Skyrim is going to have one hell of a time trying to beat this king of the hill in RPGs.

(And if someone manages to complete the game in Insanity mode, a thousand Internets to you)

P.S: What's with this error saying that Score (10.0) id must be a floating point number? For future reference, I'd give to game a 10/10
  82. May 27, 2011
    Game is awesome so far, only issue I had was a few bugs but barely noticed. it's not perfect but it's damn close. Graphics are amazing! but you need a lot of hardware. The story is very engaging.
  83. May 28, 2011
    One of the greatest RPG's i've ever played and possibly game of the year. People giving this game 2,3 or even lower are simply people that either never liked/played RPG's or just having technical problems and are taking their grief by scoring it low which is sad really. Yes it has a few problems, as every game out there, but as a whole the positives of the game just dwarf the negatives. I recommend it to any RPG fun out there. Expand
  84. May 28, 2011
    One of the best RPG's of the last years. Sure it has some negative points but there are nothing to talk about! If you like Story and deep grown out gameplay then you have to buy it
  85. Jun 29, 2011
    THE BEST RPG OF THE YEAR!!! Fantastic graphic and gameplay. Epic story & fantastic andeventures. Now i wait to Witcher 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  86. May 28, 2011
    I recommend. If you have the option, play The Witcher 1 first (still an amazing game), and then buy The Witcher 2.
    Just know that this games are for serious gamers... You will have to learn the mechanics and read the texts and so on... Or you will get lost very fast.
    The reviewer from "the escapist" wrote: ...died so easily and so many times in the first seconds of the game that I began to
    wonder if I was just an idiot...
    He is just an idiot.
  87. May 28, 2011
    Witcher 2 is easily the best cRPG since the great classics like Fallout 1/2 or Planescape:Torment. The game developed upon its predecessor and carried over all its merits and improved all its faults. The most obvious thing when you see the game is that it's absolutely beautiful. There may be games which have more technologically sophisticated rendering engines but I doubt they have anywhere as good art direction. My only complaint is that the architecture was better in W1. Still, Witcher 2 looks gorgeous. The story is the central and most important feature of the game. And it's also one of the greatest stories ever told on a computer screen. The player has a wide degree of control over how it develops: your choices do matter. Unlike in most rpg games, the story actually branches, the choices aren't only flavour,where only the colour of your allies' uniforms depends on what you select. This is the most ambitious take on incorporating choice and consequence in the history of cRPGs. There are even locations that are only accessible in a specific branch of the story. I really hope that this becomes a new standard for RPGs.

The interaction with the gameworld is done really nicely. This is an Action RPG, so the combat is quite dynamic and, on "hard" difficulty it requires both manual and tactical skills. The game can be pretty hard and require some flexibility, which only adds to the satisfaction of beating a tough opponent. Aside from combat, most of the time you'll be talking to people. The dialogues are done Mass-Effect-style, where you only choose a short version of the dialogue. This is handled better than in ME with no insta-win blue/red option and the short versions actually do correspond with what the protagonist will say. However, the conversation animations aren't as good as in ME, which is a shame, since dialogue is much more important and meaningful in The Witcher. The dialogues are well-written and the characters are memorable. You will also play some mini-games: fist fighting, armwrestling and dice poker, which are done quite well. The quests in the game are really varied, with no real fed-ex quests, often offering surprising twists, multiple solutions and multiple outcomes. And these translate into the story taking you into different directions.

You will also be travelling a lot, but not as much as in TW1, thankfully. The gameworld lives and breathes and oozes atmoshpere. It's easily the best attempt at creating an illusion of a living society in an RPG.

Your character, Geralt of Rivia, a professional monster slayer, can develop in 3 ways: as a swordmaster, as an alchemist or as a magician. You will always a remain a witcher - a sword fighting mutant, but depending on which way you want to develop, the gameplay will be slightly different.

The game is not perfect: there are minor glitches and it may be difficult for casual players. But even so Witcher 2 stomps its contemporary competition into the ground. BioWare, Obsidian and Bethesda should all watch and learn, since this is a new quality for this genre.
  88. May 28, 2011
    This game is excellent. Very challenging to play on Normal, but a cake walk on easy. This game will not hold your hand while in the game, but the manual is fantastic to help you learn to play the game. The graphics are amazing, better then most DX10 games and this game is a DX9 game only. The storyline is interesting and it makes you want to keep playing. There are multiple paths in the game, and you have to play the game at least 16 times to see everything the game has to offer. Literally there are different areas and quests that you will go to depending on what path you take. You take one path and all the areas you go to will be different if you take another path in the game. This game is highly replayable with different content every time. If you do not like games that actually challenge you, then this game is not for you, which seems to be the majority of the negative reviews. Expand
  89. May 29, 2011
    This game was great. Definitely in my all time top five (Which expands back to the Atari years).
    For gamers: The graphics are top notch and the storytelling really good. This is not really a game for those that want all action all the time. It is an in depth story that the player controls. Many story changing choices to be had throughout!
    For Witcher series fans. Not at good as Sapkwoski
    (but be reasonable!) but still a really great believable story for the Witcher world.
    End felt kind of flat. I guess there will be an expansion. I can not wait!
  90. May 29, 2011
    I tried this game out without first playing Witcher 1 and initially sympathized with negative criticisms put forth by the few who seem to find this game lacking. Upon my second play through, the story came together and the combat style really sunk in. I can't believe how well done this game is. Some players find the steep learning curve to be a flaw, but I think it's yet another positive aspect of the game. After all, there are plenty of games out there (Dragon Age II anyone?) where you can mash the keyboard and win. Expand
  91. Jun 2, 2011
    It expands upon The Witcher in every possible way, and The Witcher was by far the best rpg of this generation. A true and spectacular sequel, a game that shouldn't be missed by anyone who calls himself a gamer. It's not flawless but it's also as close to the perfect rpg as it can be. Congratulations to CDProjekt Red
  92. May 30, 2011
    Great game! It is not boring and naive! There are a few bugs. And so what? Do you prefer error-free game, but terribly boring? Really? Well, you get bored on. I'll play again in TW2. Best game this year. Not just graphically. This game returns to me the joy of the game! Thank you for the creators of The Witcher 2!
  93. May 30, 2011
    I never write of games, but I had to after reading some the garbage "zero" score reviews. If you are like me, a thirty plus child of the eighties who grew up on hair bands and went to college during the heyday of nineties PC gaming, the Witcher 2 will make perfect sense to you. It's a hardcore, classic RPG. It doesn't spoon-feed you anything. If you are expecting to POWN and frag some noob with your SCAR-H, just move along, you won't be happy with this game. It's not a dumb down button masher, and won't hold your hand. If you don't have patience, a classic RPG background, and two brain cells to rub together, you will be exceptionally frustrated with this game. It's a throwback to the glory days of PC RPGs. So kiddies, don't expect Dragon Age or any other modern watered down Bioware game here. It's not that and doesn't pretend to be. And to me, that's a good thing. Hands down, it's the best fantasy RPG in the last decade. Expand
  94. Jun 2, 2011
    There aren't many words to suit this game, EPIC comes to my mind tho. Depth of the story sucks you totally in, amount of choices, realism of the fights, all those little tasty things, world that is truly alive... peaks atmosphere to the max! We're half way there, but I already know, this is a Game of The Year for me.
  95. Jun 2, 2011
    I could easily put it on my top5 rpg games of the decade... and I played them ALL. A game that brings the epicness of Baldur's Gate story telling along with astonishing graphics as a cherry on the top. Don't you dare not getting yourself a copy.
  96. May 30, 2011
    Definitely comparable to Dragon Age. This RPG offers a great amount of game play in a beautiful and gritty world. Up with one of my favorites! Bioware has competition.
  97. May 30, 2011
    I wanted to like this game but i couldn't , there were just to many flaws . Although the story is the strongest part of the game it wasnt good enough to keep me going through the combat . I hate the combat , it's too simple and just isnt deep enough for an RPG . And there's very little character development , very few skills to choose from , again it seems like an action game rather than an RPG . If you can enjoy the combat and dont mind not having much control over character skills then you probably would enjoy it. Thats is you have a very good PC. Expand
  98. May 30, 2011
    Trolls are still working! I have to, I just have to write what I think. Rating 1 - 4 can not be serious.
    I read game scores written by "gingerbill. He has not played this game! Or playing in something else. Rating 4? It's a farce! This opinion is the same crap! I do not understand these people. Combat is too simple? Ha .. ha .. ha ... Play the "difficult" "
    And there's very little
    character development .. "Man, you do not know what you're talking Or not completely understand the game. This is not another game in the" dressing "a hero. Kid, grow up!

Now, seriously:
    Game is pretty much the best game I've played in about 5 years.
    This game is so god dam deep. Chapter 2 in itself becomes completely different if you side with the other person. Now that is what I call decision making.

Everything about this game is just amazing. The combat is deep yet intuitive once you get the hang of it. It may be difficult at times but its one of the reasons why its so good. The story so far is really good and filled with interesting characters, monsters, and locations. Even in the first chapter you can see how the story can branch off and change things.
    The atmosphere in this game is also great. Seeing enemies crawling down trees to attack you, or hearing a loud roar behind you and then seeing a bunch of humanoid monsters running at you. Its all really well done. I've even just spent time walking around the towns listening to conversations and people telling stories. I hope other developers take notes, because this is how an RPG should be made.
  99. May 31, 2011
    The game is wonderful! . It is a pity that the trolls lower scores. I really do not understand these people who give a 0 or 1.2,3,4. It's a lie! A long awaited step forward for the RPG genere. The Witcher 2 is the best rpg since Baldurs Gate2. The combat is improved and of course the story and graphics = the best. Amazing game, it is not a game, it is a book with movie in witch you play as Garald. The best RPG until today!CD Projekt Red have absolutely awed me with the quality of work they have put into this game.
    I am telling my friends who I know like RPGs to buy this game.
  100. May 31, 2011
    Despite some minor flaws and disappointing epilogue TW2 is a very good game. Challenging combat system, intriguing story, no black-and-white world, interesting characters, great dialogues, no-linear story, absolutely amazing animations and stunning graphics. That's more than enough to give it very good score. I read some reviews and it seems most people who are rating it low are too lazy to read manual. Expand
  101. Jun 5, 2011
    This is a fantastic game. There is quite a few different ways to play the game that can change outcomes later in the story. I love games like this. It keeps it interesting. The graphics are outstanding and you have to have a pretty decent system to play it. Its got a great story line.
    My only complaint that I have about the game, was it was easy to sometimes get lost in the side
    stories/quests which some people like to do. Now dont get me wrong, I do like to go out and explore and do other things to get rewarded, but it took away from the main story. If some of the side quests had a direct relationship to the story line, I think that could have had a better effect. But other than that its a fantastic game, and highly recommend it. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011