8.5

1. Jun 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. I haven't seen such "glazed" crap in a long while...

I won't be brief. I joined only to put this review here so people can learn what to expect of the game.

1. The game is ridiculously short. What is there to play, will fast become tedious backtracking and dull repetition of actions to the point that you'll wish to delete the game right then and there and forget it even exists. I also need to point out that there's not much to do. Simple side quests that put WOW to shame, so insanely complicated by the lack of navigation and explanation it borders stupidity. Bravo.

2. It's complicated. Pointlessly complicated. The task of creating and/or drinking a potion requires you to enter meditation mode. Why? The potions are so nonsensically useless, I beg to question the point of their existence in the game. I only used one potion. ONE POTION. And only because the game told me i had to. I got more use of the oils. Which brings me to the item creation feature. You have to FIND and PAY craftsman to create an item. I realize Geralt's no McGuyver but that's just stupid. A craftsman skill would've made more sense in my opinion. But that's just me. I also found the mutagens to be useless.

3. The combat system is confusing. Half the time i don't know what i'm doing and the guide offers little help. Considering i haven't played the first Witcher game, i can't exactly say if it had a better one, but this one sucks and that's all i care. 4. I think the game has more bugs that Stalker Clear Sky. I'm even prepared to say that it has more bugs than BIOSHOCK. At least Bioshock didn't have much bugs that were crippling for the further development of the story. Patch 1.2 installed and nothing's changed.

5. Anticlimactic story ending. The story begins interestingly enough, builds up a massive fuss, only to end with a fart in the wind. I'll not say why, i don't wish to spoil anything, but i know people will understand what i mean. The the boss fights are Ok. It's much like an "interactive movie", like most people warn, but i wish to point out that there's an accentuation on the "movie" bit, while the "interactive" part falls very short. I was left disappointed and without a yearning for a replay.

The ONLY positive side of the game is that i'ts eye candy. I applaud and commend the fine gentlemen that were in charge of the game's visual designs and artwork because that's the only thing that drove me to keep on playing even though i hated myself for being so weak.

In summation, I don't like the game. I'm sure others will like it. As for me, I guess i had high hopes. For something more than a messy plot and fantastic visuals. The problems the game clearly has, are just too much for me. And i'm being lenient, believe me.
  2. May 25, 2011
    Well made story line, although does fall short at the ending. Good looking graphics. But thats about it for the positives. I had to spend a few hours just trying to get this game to work right. It would not play sound through my headset, and there was a random bug which cause my fps to drop into the single digit range (Radeon 6870). Also for the negatives, theres terrible mouseWell made story line, although does fall short at the ending. Good looking graphics. But thats about it for the positives. I had to spend a few hours just trying to get this game to work right. It would not play sound through my headset, and there was a random bug which cause my fps to drop into the single digit range (Radeon 6870). Also for the negatives, theres terrible mouse acceleration or something going on which causes the mouse to 'slide' around and making controlling anything, especially in menus, a pain. Also, the combat is horrid. Expand
  3. May 23, 2011
    A game with unique artistic direction and a mature story. And by mature I don't mean sex and violence, although the game obviously has plenty of these too. The only thing that seriously took a turn for the worse is the combat system. Because you'll be constantly kiting and rollin' rollin' rollin' even when fighting the easiest opponents. Which is NOT fun. Almost like they didn't playtestA game with unique artistic direction and a mature story. And by mature I don't mean sex and violence, although the game obviously has plenty of these too. The only thing that seriously took a turn for the worse is the combat system. Because you'll be constantly kiting and rollin' rollin' rollin' even when fighting the easiest opponents. Which is NOT fun. Almost like they didn't playtest to check for combat balance. The whole game was apparently a little bit rushed and the combat is only one of the aspects that are unpolished. Still s**ts all over Dragon Age II. Expand
  4. May 21, 2011
    I beat the game and i have to say that this game WAS amazing, up until part 3. RED did well on making the game, but 16 endings is a little too much i think. If any one of you think that after u finish exploring the city you go to after chapter 1 (Futsome or something like that, i forgot) that is the only unique city you going to go to in your playthrough. Right after that, you don't goI beat the game and i have to say that this game WAS amazing, up until part 3. RED did well on making the game, but 16 endings is a little too much i think. If any one of you think that after u finish exploring the city you go to after chapter 1 (Futsome or something like that, i forgot) that is the only unique city you going to go to in your playthrough. Right after that, you don't go to any other city, instead, u go to the Gathering and end the story. There is no sense of epicness at all, where something big happens, you pretty much go straight to chapter 3, the shortest chapter, around 2 hours long. It seem like they focus their energy on Chapter 1, then they make 16 otehr places you can go to in chapter 2. At first i think u will play all the places and finally go to chapter 3, nope, you only get to do one land per playthrough. it is pretty, pretty sad. Right now this game will be among the greats, but after a week or two, when people start beating the game, you will start seeing it fall down and down, probably to among the 7-8s. Expand
  5. May 25, 2011
    This game has good voice acting and an interesting story but in the gameplay department where it really feels like a bad console game ported to the PC. IF you like to run and jump off things, if you like to run, sneak, walk or any combination of those things, if you like to choose the direction your facing and choose the target your hitting, if like to hit enemies stood on the step aboveThis game has good voice acting and an interesting story but in the gameplay department where it really feels like a bad console game ported to the PC. IF you like to run and jump off things, if you like to run, sneak, walk or any combination of those things, if you like to choose the direction your facing and choose the target your hitting, if like to hit enemies stood on the step above you or below you or do any of the things you expect to be standard affairs in any RPG, then your in for a massive disappointment here because the Witcher 2 is a carefully controlled game that chooses those things for you. One like cut scenes with gameplay breaks using its dodgy AI. This game will not even run unless you turn your desktop resolution down to below 1920x1080 and set the game to the same resolution as your desktop. The register game window that offers a free troll quest, does not even accept keyboard input, so you cannot actually register the game and from what the official website says, they seem to be having serious issues with the servers that handle that. Overall, not a good game, its almost entirely eye candy and cut scenes getting all the positive scores, the game play it self is badly letting the side down. Expand
  6. May 28, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an ambitious game that regretfully doesn't deliver a compelling experience on all fronts. It's a fantastic looking game and the story is excellent, the character development, dialogue and player choices are also great. I'd love to give this an eight or nine but it's simply not justified. Standing between you and what should be an immersive and brilliant game-world is aThe Witcher 2 is an ambitious game that regretfully doesn't deliver a compelling experience on all fronts. It's a fantastic looking game and the story is excellent, the character development, dialogue and player choices are also great. I'd love to give this an eight or nine but it's simply not justified. Standing between you and what should be an immersive and brilliant game-world is a sub-optimal UI/menu system, poor interation model and frustrating combat mechanism. I'm having trouble forgiving the design flaws and it's a real shame, the Witcher 1 was a great game despite it's flaws - the Witcher 2 is only a passable one because of them. I was close to giving it an eight, after all it's an amazing achievement for a small studio such as CDPR, but it's not the scope that is lacking a or vision that hasn't quite been realised - it's the fundemental elements of a computer game that aren't particularly workable and these should have been nailed. Expand
  7. May 25, 2011
    I was really hyped up for this game. I played through Witcher 1 three times when it first came out, because the game was so engaging and the combat so fluid. However, I have to say I am extremely disappointed in Witcher 2. For one, it feels like a console port. Moving with WASD seems more like moving with a D-Pad on a controller, than the smooth FPS style movement of the first game.I was really hyped up for this game. I played through Witcher 1 three times when it first came out, because the game was so engaging and the combat so fluid. However, I have to say I am extremely disappointed in Witcher 2. For one, it feels like a console port. Moving with WASD seems more like moving with a D-Pad on a controller, than the smooth FPS style movement of the first game. The key binds are even setup outside the game in a console port style. The combat has been nerfed to the point of being trivial. In the first game you had three stances with stacking combos. In Witcher 2, you have two attacks. LMB is fast, RMB is slow. Also forget parrying or dodging in a sword fight, if you do not hit the button several seconds before being attacked, expect to be hit. What happened to spontaneous parrying and dodging that was so fun in the first game, and is expected in an action RPG? Only CD Projekt can answer that one. Game play aside, there are many game breaking technical issues. I have an i5 760, 4GB RAM, and an nvidia 460. I should be able to run the game flawlessly on High, or at least Medium settings. However, I barely get 15 FPS in Low settings. This seems to be an issue for many nvidida users, with no current fix from either nvidida or CD Projekt. Another troubling bug is if you have a 7.1 headset. The game is not compatible with these headsets and will result in no game audio. The only suggested fix I found from CD Projekt on the official forums was to disable 7.1 with the headset software, or use on-board audio. Unfortunately the G35 does not have any way to revert to or force stereo or 5.1 audio. Using on-board would be great, if I had it. I would not be concerned with this incompatibility if this was some obscure brand headset. However, this is a Logitech Gaming series headset. It is beyond me how this was not caught in internal testing.

Buyer Beware. The game is pretty, and from what little I saw, probably has a good story. Hard to tell with no sound though. While the Critical Reviews might be good, I'd strongly advise caution with game stopping bugs like these. In addition if you think it will play anything like the first game, you are in for a disappointment.
  8. Sep 14, 2011
    The game was not special in my opinion and had countless flaws, oblivion and mass effect are much better. Pros: The games graphics are very good... yeah and that is where it all ends. Cons: The games difficulty variability is plainly retarded, being the most difficult in the prologue of the game as well as two of the bosses. The game's combat is shallow, all you do is time your strikes,The game was not special in my opinion and had countless flaws, oblivion and mass effect are much better. Pros: The games graphics are very good... yeah and that is where it all ends. Cons: The games difficulty variability is plainly retarded, being the most difficult in the prologue of the game as well as two of the bosses. The game's combat is shallow, all you do is time your strikes, alternate between heavy and light attacks, and use the Quen spell all the time as you pretty much have to do this in order to stay alive on hard difficulty or higher, there is no strategy with any of the enemies besides being patient and rolling all the time while giving a strike here and there only later when one is stronger can one be more straight forward. The game goes way too textbook fantasy, elves blah blah, dwarves blah blah, generic enemies we have all seen done better in other games. Also the cursing and the sexual connotations become tedious very quickly. One of the biggest problems was that there are so many useless things put into this game, the 5 other spells i didn't use because they were simply USEless, the potions and bombs etc. that could be created were never used except 1 type of bomb in the beginning called the grapeshot. The game is not very big at all, there are only two main locations where one spends 95% of the game time the other 5% is in the beginning and end.Lets also mention the very dumb AI and annoying glitches where the game restricts movement, i was also unable to finish 1 of the secondary quests due to a glitch and i felt this game was an unfinished product. Finally i simply found the characters bland, boring,generic, uninteresting, yeah do i need to use any more synonyms. Lastly the story was just nothing special and had in my opinion a bad ending. a mediocre 6.5/10. Expand
  9. Aug 15, 2012
    An RPG that *almost* nails it.

An RPG that *almost* nails it.

The game has an amazingly immersive story, possibly one of the best rpg stories I've played through, the characters you meet are believable, and well voice acted. The graphical art style is often mind blowingly beatiful, the lighting, and effects in certain areas is very stylish. The sound art direction is also great, hearing trees creak and rocks crumble as you embark alone on your quest really brings about a thrilling feel of being a 'lone wolf'.

However, the game's combat system is just severely broken, it's clumsy at best. You get stuck to character models, other models get in your way, and even if the combat WAS fluent and flawless, its not really very fun at heart, simply leading to slash, dodge, harder slash, block and a magic move. thats it. It lacks innovation, which is frustrating because this game does have innovative ideas, they are just poorly implemented, such as adding oils to your blades, and drinking potions that have different effects.

The problem with these innovations is that you may only drink potions when you are in a safe location, so it leads to alot of getting killed trial and error to know which potions to use for the upcoming battles.

Getting killed is a big deal. You will die a lot in this game. A lot. The difficulty curve is indestinguishable; on easy the game is insultingly easy, and on normal the game is just enfuriatingly difficult. Unfortunatly due to the buggy combat, the high difficulty isnt due to clever gameplay and AI, but rather issues like getting stuck on a tree root as you were trying to dodge an attack, and being killed in 2 hits because you didnt drink that potion that gives you resistance to poison X before the battle.

Unfortunatly I find the only way to excel at the game in normal mode is to exploit the terrible combat bugs in my own favour, which sort of kills the immersiveness of the story.

Another minor issue is the gameover screen. It's sort of buggy, sometimes the button to 'continue' just doesnt work, and you have to spam clicking it for like a minute then it finally responds... Im being picky, I know, but honestly... it's a screen you will see alot of if you don't play on easy.

All in all without slating the game too much, it's worth picking up, and perhaps the 6 is slightly fuelled by frustration, but the points I have made are valid, and you will run into these problems in the game. If you are looking for a game with no particular challenge, and would intend to play through on easy for the story and immersive qualities, this game is a must-buy, but if you are looking for a perfect game with intense and challengeing *but fair* combat, then look elswhere.
  10. Nov 11, 2011
    Game is nice, for sure not a masterpiece as a whole.
    graphics are great , even thou on my i7 with a gtx560 i can't run them fully.
    Story is interesting and you can play the game twice (or even 3 times), but no more. what i didn't like: -instanced maps, you see that road?, fine now that you've seen it go back to what you were "paid" to go -console "press X" mechanics, wanna hit that big
    Game is nice, for sure not a masterpiece as a whole.
    graphics are great , even thou on my i7 with a gtx560 i can't run them fully.
    what i didn't like:
    -console "press X" mechanics, wanna hit that big baddie? click B..swirl swirl now click B again
    -console inventory, how the hell you'r goin to find something in your backpack is a miracle
    -stupid potions, drink now you never know what you might face tomorrow..you drank the wrong one? haha silly witchy
    -fighting animations, i don't like playin the role of a pale monkey swirling and jumpin around while weavin a stick at big guys
  11. Dec 15, 2011
    I bought this just after finishing Skyrim and the experience was jarring. Skyrim is huge, free flowing and fun. In comparison witcher 2 feels small, cramped and constraining. It does have its good points like some good combat but thats offset by how short it is (its truly tiny), the lack of freedom, and the awful awful boss battles.

Still its an OK game, just made to look very weak by Skyrim.
  12. Mar 5, 2012
    The story is decent and interesting albeit rushed towards the end. The actual character building through adding stats to your desired gameplay preference is pretty flawed too as I didn't even fill one tree (there are 3). And it was pretty light on the rpg element of manipulating your character really. As for any real combat tactics, there really is none. This game doesn't shine in theThe story is decent and interesting albeit rushed towards the end. The actual character building through adding stats to your desired gameplay preference is pretty flawed too as I didn't even fill one tree (there are 3). And it was pretty light on the rpg element of manipulating your character really. As for any real combat tactics, there really is none. This game doesn't shine in the combat department like for instance batman arkham city did. It pretty much is a button bashing nightmare sometimes. Then we have games engine. It felt un-optimized, with an above average computer I couldn't get it to run with it high settings at all and had to live with mid level settings so the game is hugely demanding. Which means they spent no time on whether PC could handle the game. I give this game a 6 as I only pushed to complete it as I just wanted to know the ending to the story not for the accomplishment of completing the game. Expand
  13. May 22, 2011
    As a fan of the first Witcher game, I was very much looking forward to the Witcher 2. Unfortunately, the sequel is a huge letdown. It plays like a console port even though it is was (supposedly) designed for PC. Controls are clunky, inventory system is terrible, combat mechanics are just awful. The graphics are okay, but definitely not worth the hype they've been given. There is noAs a fan of the first Witcher game, I was very much looking forward to the Witcher 2. Unfortunately, the sequel is a huge letdown. It plays like a console port even though it is was (supposedly) designed for PC. Controls are clunky, inventory system is terrible, combat mechanics are just awful. The graphics are okay, but definitely not worth the hype they've been given. There is no tutorial system to speak of, so you're stumbling around for the first half an hour going "I have potions, but how do I drink them?" Oh, and you can't drink potions in combat any more. You have to meditate to drink potions. Considering how often Geralt gets ambushed and how often you head into combat against a new foe you aren't sure how to take out, that's a huge drawback and big mistake, I think. Witcher 2 also suffers from the same over-automation problem the Assassin's Creed series has -- e.g. I'm trying to fight some dude and suddenly Geralt's playing with the stupid torches or looting a sack instead of fighting. And the alchemy system -- [sigh] This was one of the things I loved about the first game. The intricacy of it. I had a whole set of hand written notes next to my computer containing alchemical recipes and the secondary properties of ingredients. The alchemy system in Witcher 2 has been significantly dumbed down, and while I may be in the minority, I find that very disappointing. Finally, while the whole collecting sexual conquest trading cards thing in the first game might be construed as misogynistic, the Witcher 2 takes it to a whole new level, giving us full-frontal female nudity that just plain unnecessary and distasteful. A word to the wise, game developers: gratuitous nudity does not make a game "mature" or "adult." In fact, it has the opposite effect. Expand
  14. May 26, 2011
    Alright let me begin by saying that this game is NOT GoTY material, and it's May you jarheads, don't make such assumptions. The combat is more broken than a glass house after a tornado hit it; a tornado filled with golf-balls. then we have the STORY. Is it me, or is this game just a cheap cash in on trying to portray "mature" sex in video games. This game had potential, but it's just nothing.
  15. May 21, 2011
    I am very disappointed with this game and I can't believe when people say that it could be the GOTY and one of the best RPGs out there. The game has insane performance issues. The game is very demanding on the graphics requirements, so I must run it on low settings and even with that the game sometimes bogs down horribly. Moreover, the camera and characters have horrible issues, especiallyI am very disappointed with this game and I can't believe when people say that it could be the GOTY and one of the best RPGs out there. The game has insane performance issues. The game is very demanding on the graphics requirements, so I must run it on low settings and even with that the game sometimes bogs down horribly. Moreover, the camera and characters have horrible issues, especially in cutscenes, where a character, for example, will finish speaking a line and then glitch into another position. Sometimes archers will shoot at you while facing a wall. Interacting with objects can be horribly annoying, especially since Geralt likes to keep moving for an excessive amount of time after you've released movement keys. The tutorial could be useful if it had been done properly, half the time I didn't even notice the tips; sometimes because they appeared after the event, sometimes because I was too busy fighting enemies to notice -no, the game doesn't pause for you to read. All of these can be considered as minor issues once you get to the core of the problem: The game is not an RPG, unless you consider FFXIII an RPG. Character growth is a joke, and combat is an even bigger joke. The game feels like a port even though it isn't. Fighting enemies requires absolutely no strategy, just smashing the left and right mouse buttons. There is also a very broken stealth system and before you end the initial sequence of the story, you find more holes in it than a cheese grater.
    I wanted to like this game, really. But when the characters are shallow and the gameplay is absolutely dreadful, well, wanting to like it just doesn't cut it. If you want a real RPG, go back to Bethesda or Bioware.
  16. May 24, 2011
    Witcher series is going down with this one. From the start you can tell it is "console" oriented - fist fights dumbed down with some button mashing, the same with first boss fight(forgot its name). But the worst part is that this game is unfinished - lots of bugs, clunky interface, clunky movement, clunky combat, most annoying doors in any computer game i have played and quest trackingWitcher series is going down with this one. From the start you can tell it is "console" oriented - fist fights dumbed down with some button mashing, the same with first boss fight(forgot its name). But the worst part is that this game is unfinished - lots of bugs, clunky interface, clunky movement, clunky combat, most annoying doors in any computer game i have played and quest tracking from hell. Not to mention loot picking. I loved first part but this game is far far away. Big step backwards. I've fooled myself that it would get better later on but i gave up at the end of act 2.
    Watching all the positive reviews I am really sorry that my favorite genre is going that way. Biggest disappointment of the year.
    I am really sorry that i wasted ANY money on this game.
  17. Aug 25, 2011
    The witcher 2 based on the quality of the witcher one this was an imidiate buy. Imagion my suprise then when the "RPG" they produced was one long hallway with nice decorations. instead of wandering a world making decisions on where to go you are railroaded down a couple branching paths. in some if you enjoyed the choice that the witcher 1 offered then this is going to drive you nuts. IThe witcher 2 based on the quality of the witcher one this was an imidiate buy. Imagion my suprise then when the "RPG" they produced was one long hallway with nice decorations. instead of wandering a world making decisions on where to go you are railroaded down a couple branching paths. in some if you enjoyed the choice that the witcher 1 offered then this is going to drive you nuts. I guess its not suprising that they have gone into god of war mode like bioware who also used to make good games. Expand
  18. May 30, 2011
    With the exception of visuals and voice acting, the game as it plays is utterly awful. And that's too bad because I enjoyed the first Witcher. This is not an RPG, it is a digitized movie with abominable "QTEs" (quick time events) made for the console generation of ADD brain-dead button mashers. "Combat" is a roll-fest and consists of trapping opponents on game geometry so you can singleWith the exception of visuals and voice acting, the game as it plays is utterly awful. And that's too bad because I enjoyed the first Witcher. This is not an RPG, it is a digitized movie with abominable "QTEs" (quick time events) made for the console generation of ADD brain-dead button mashers. "Combat" is a roll-fest and consists of trapping opponents on game geometry so you can single them out (sounds more like an AI exploit than the "deep battle tactics" most reviewers would have you believe.) The configuration application doesn't recognize the number pad, and keypresses randomly don't register (i.e., block). The inventory system is the most god-awful worst I've ever seen in a game, period. An awful, awful game that had potential. How did this garbage get through QA?!? Expand
  19. Aug 14, 2011
    Im sure I would really enjoy this game, I am sure it must be fantastic. All I know however is that after downloading and trying to run, it does absolutely NOTHING. No error message, just doesnt load from the steam launcher. So this game gets a 0. As in its a waste, I cant play it. Ive looked for help on the forums, nothing, nothing works. Sorry guys, but cannot recommend. In fact IIm sure I would really enjoy this game, I am sure it must be fantastic. All I know however is that after downloading and trying to run, it does absolutely NOTHING. No error message, just doesnt load from the steam launcher. So this game gets a 0. As in its a waste, I cant play it. Ive looked for help on the forums, nothing, nothing works. Sorry guys, but cannot recommend. In fact I must suggest avoid, in case you waste your money like I did. Expand
  20. Nov 5, 2011
    Good graphics but very buggy game overall with poor support. Game was basically unplayable and my specs/system are well above min requirements. Have been able to play other games without difficulty but this one was junk. Wait for something with less bugs.
  21. Nov 29, 2014
    Any role-playing game that's heavily relying on action and fighting mythical creatures should be ashamed of itself when the design decisions were made that you could only take potions BEFORE entering fights, thereby effectively integrating the save function as a core of people's gameplay.

SHAME ON YOU, Witcher 2.
  22. Nov 13, 2011
    Being spoiled by open worlds from the Bethesda studio's this is disappointing. All though the story is great it really pissed me off that the story telling cuts in all the time and even lets you lose a fight which I was totally winning just to be able to tell the story. Also lets you fight fights with other characters of your party on occasion. The game player just has to follow. I knowBeing spoiled by open worlds from the Bethesda studio's this is disappointing. All though the story is great it really pissed me off that the story telling cuts in all the time and even lets you lose a fight which I was totally winning just to be able to tell the story. Also lets you fight fights with other characters of your party on occasion. The game player just has to follow. I know this is part of role playing but as I said I'm spoiled by the free open worlds in other games. But great graphics, fighting system and story! Expand
  23. May 24, 2011
    This was a huge disapointment.. I knew nothing of the Witcher before I friend told me it was great while speaking about Oblivion (Elders scroll). So I watched some preview I tried it out.. But really there's nothing special about it.. Even worse, the average everybody wont be able to run it on PC, I got a 8k $ comp brought 3 years ago, so still pretty good, I i'm still getting lag on lowThis was a huge disapointment.. I knew nothing of the Witcher before I friend told me it was great while speaking about Oblivion (Elders scroll). So I watched some preview I tried it out.. But really there's nothing special about it.. Even worse, the average everybody wont be able to run it on PC, I got a 8k $ comp brought 3 years ago, so still pretty good, I i'm still getting lag on low graphics.. Plus there are some ridiculous part in the game that'll just make you rage, like inbeatable bosses or run away in straight line from a dragon that'll kill you 50 times.. wtf ? Just wait for Skyrim people. Expand
  24. Oct 12, 2011
    Unfortunately. I am comparing this to PC games and TW1 which in my opinion was vastly better. Requiring 2 9 gb patches within a 9 days of launch and still being flawed this is one awful example of what happens when a company designs for a console and this tries to fit a product coded for ancient hardware to state of the art PC. It was a nightmare which I couldnt bear. Another consoleUnfortunately. I am comparing this to PC games and TW1 which in my opinion was vastly better. Requiring 2 9 gb patches within a 9 days of launch and still being flawed this is one awful example of what happens when a company designs for a console and this tries to fit a product coded for ancient hardware to state of the art PC. It was a nightmare which I couldnt bear. Another console RPG/Action clone. Linear in the extreme and reliant on the (admittedly good) cut scenes for atmosphere and immersion. Personally, if I want to spend most of the time watching cut scenes, I will watch a movie. The linear gameplay made this feel like it would have been much happier droppng the human element and playing itself. I can understand this being a real blockbuster for the PC, lets be honest its so similar to Two worlds 2 and all the other lightweight RPG action clones for the console its pretty much interchangable. Expand
  25. Apr 4, 2012
    "IAM" --- Interactive Movie --- This needs to be a new genre, because Witcher 2 is not an RPG. One of the player reviews here says the game went the same way as Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect.. and they're right. It's not really that fun to play, but looks gorgeous. The characters are impressive but the story has glaring holes and wouldn't get a passing grade in creative writing 101. I had"IAM" --- Interactive Movie --- This needs to be a new genre, because Witcher 2 is not an RPG. One of the player reviews here says the game went the same way as Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect.. and they're right. It's not really that fun to play, but looks gorgeous. The characters are impressive but the story has glaring holes and wouldn't get a passing grade in creative writing 101. I had high hopes for CDProjekt because they're oldschool gamers and run the great GOG.com website, but they've sold out. I can't blame them.. maybe I would do the same.. who doesn't like getting paid for what they do? It's just a damn shame that the victim of that crime is creative, challenging, deep RPGs. The consoles won - PC RPGs are dead. Expand
  26. Oct 18, 2011
    Were there were pretty graphics? Yes. Nice magical effects? Sure. But some things were lost in the sequel which I enjoyed and took for granted in The Witcher 1. First off, The Witcher 1 was a 100% adult game that involved drinking. In the Witcher 2, alcohol is removed almost entirely and is now a rare option in specific dialogue paths. Instead of buying beer from the bar wench youWere there were pretty graphics? Yes. Nice magical effects? Sure. But some things were lost in the sequel which I enjoyed and took for granted in The Witcher 1. First off, The Witcher 1 was a 100% adult game that involved drinking. In the Witcher 2, alcohol is removed almost entirely and is now a rare option in specific dialogue paths. Instead of buying beer from the bar wench you get the option to buy junk items like rotten apples. That's a bit unrealistic in my opinion. And now that I mention food- the food and drink option I had so much fun playing with in the Witcher 1 was completely scrapped in #2. You cannot consume food- only sell it as junk. This leaves natural regen healing as your primary option for healing (which happens much quicker in this game, yet you have a much smaller health pool in comparison to The Witcher 1). Your health pool is so very low in this game that you are practically encouraged to drink health potions constantly in order to survive. Now I have to comment on the alchemy system- it has some similarities but there are major differences. Health regen potions have different regen rates for in and out of combat and if you don't drink a healing potion prior to a battle, by default you do not heal at all while in battle. That I find quite strange, because part of the challenge in The Witcher 1 was finding a balance between combat and your remaining health. Often I would eat food, or use a Swallow potion while fighting monsters in #1, since you had a huge pool of hitpoints that regenerated so slowly. Your practically required supplements in order to progress in a timely manner. Now, In the Witcher 2, I just stand still for a couple minutes and I am fully healed. Geralt's health pool is quite low and you are forced to wait unless you just like dying on subsequent battles. Potion drinking requires a safe area to initiate meditation yet every battle including the difficult boss battles, you aren't even given a chance to meditate. This results in difficult battles with no health regen or potions- which becomes painfully apparent as you progress throughout the game and is unfortunately still present in major boss battles at the end. Playing dice, a fun-filled challenge which I enjoyed in The Witcher 1 is a painful affair now. The Witcher one had a simple design with easy to read numbers on the dice- No excessive shaking of the camera when you rolled, and your best hand was figured out for you by the A.I. In comparison, The Witcher 2 has this weird slanted view in which you roll the dice, and then switches to a top down view to inspect the dice. The slanted view is absolutely no help- you can't see a single detail of the dice including the numbers on them. In the top-down view you see the dice numbers but they are hard-to-read Roman Numerals and the lighting of the board is so horrible you can't help but squint in order to read the dice. Unfortunately the game does not outright tell you if you have a good hand like it does in The Witcher 1, so you really have to sit there for about 15-30 seconds just to read the dice and ascertain what hand you have. So in conclusion, while combat and whatnot have new fancy graphical interfaces, I was disappointed in some of the implementation. I miss having 20 bottles of beer on my character and getting slam drunk (in fact, I do believe this was a combat mechanic in the Witcher 1, specifically pain resistance via the Strength Line). And the drinking challenges were always fun... not to mention you received good rewards. One other thing that sort of turned me off about the game was the last level. I found it a little claustrophobic, and it tried to cram a lot of content into several separate, yet very confined game areas. Ultimately, I felt the design was a bit rushed towards the end. A lot of changes, a lot of design alterations, yet many of these changes do not increase game playability and in some ways make the game less fun. As is is- I think The Witcher 2 deserves a 6. If it would have implemented relatively easy to program mechanics (such as drinking games, fun uncomplicated dice games, easy to use potions, large health pool, a food and drink system, slowly regenerating constant health over time with no in and out of combat differences) then I would have given it a 9 or 10. I mean, how does one fight in this game with a low health pool that has no regen by default and no chance to drink potions in the midst of battle? If they feel so strongly about drinking potions in battle without meditating prior, then implement a 25% penalty for potions drank while in combat. It is not impossible to implement, all of tehse things I mention are implemented in The Witcher 1! Why did they remove so many fun-filled mechanics? It's a step back. Expand
  27. Jul 20, 2012
    The games improved a lot since my initial review (when Witcher 2's was completely broken). Now it stands as one of the best RPG's in recent years. A mature story with good game play mechanics.
  28. Sep 17, 2014
    Bland, repetitive game-play with poor controls, boring characters, and even worse compatibility.
    The World is very 2 Dimensional with puppet NPCs and lacks anything outside of an RPG stereotype.
    I can run damn near any game with all graphics settings on max with skype running, but if I try to run witcher on even mediocre settings - It's completely laggy. There are better things you

but if I try to run witcher on even mediocre settings - It's completely laggy.

There are better things you can spend your money on - Like any other RPG.
  29. May 21, 2011
    One of the worst games I have ever played. It only works on the low spec, despite having a really good computer, half of the tips are completely useless since they show up after you have performed the action and the overall game experience is really ****

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
  30. Jun 18, 2011
    Nice game, but boss fights are ridiculously OP vs the regular fights. And use some stupid mechanics so that it's really a fight vs the game engine more than a fight vs the boss. Frustrating in many places, lots of things require that you use a cheatsheet on the internet (ie obtain spoilers) just to get through the plot and progress the damn game. They managed to create some very good AI inNice game, but boss fights are ridiculously OP vs the regular fights. And use some stupid mechanics so that it's really a fight vs the game engine more than a fight vs the boss. Frustrating in many places, lots of things require that you use a cheatsheet on the internet (ie obtain spoilers) just to get through the plot and progress the damn game. They managed to create some very good AI in open world situations (people milling about etc - they actually seemed to have lives of their own) - the boss AI = not so good. Gave it a 6 as game itself is really cool, and did make me want to finish it (more out of determination not to let some piece of fool coding beat me more than anything else) but the frustrating elements means I would not recommend this game to anyone I know, least of all people who aren't familar with frustrating rpg mechanics. Even I hated it most of the time, so wouldn't want to pass the curse onto people I like. Tl;dr: Excellent exercise in world-building; do not let these people near boss fight AI coding again. Expand
  31. May 20, 2011
    Terrible and booring game.. i want my money back :( Optimize in this game is not good, typical port from console. Animations and controls is really bad.
  32. Jul 14, 2013
    The combat system in this game is absolutely terrible. Far to cumbersome with too many features. Absolute deal breaker with this game, I'm sorry I spent the £3.49 for it on steam. The Witcher 3 will have to be better than this poor design.
  33. May 18, 2011
    Looooooots o f bugs, game crashes to windows, DLC doesnt work. Wait till patch (a big one) before you buy this crappy game. Graphic's are good until game crashes, story is good, fight mechanic is totally arcade just clik fast and jump on left and right.
  34. May 17, 2011
    My, is this thing overrated! A good ole' RPG but nothing really new gameplay wise. Visuals hold their own but the story takes itself so damn seriously that it's impossible to enjoy the experience. Oh and it's one of those emo fantasy BS worlds where everything is so medieval England slash Russia it's no longer funny.
  35. Jan 22, 2012
    I have put more time than I would like into trying to get the game to run. I have downloaded it twice now since buying it. The 2.1 patch supposedly broke the game for many steam users, and the only way to make the game go is a workaround that disables achievements and doesn't always work for everyone. There's no 2.2 patch to fix the game. As old as the issue is there is no official fix,I have put more time than I would like into trying to get the game to run. I have downloaded it twice now since buying it. The 2.1 patch supposedly broke the game for many steam users, and the only way to make the game go is a workaround that disables achievements and doesn't always work for everyone. There's no 2.2 patch to fix the game. As old as the issue is there is no official fix, and so I guess there is no plans for one either. All I can do is say that the game is unplayable and give it an awful rating. Expand
  36. May 17, 2011
    Poorly optimized, simplistic and straightforward combat, emo story and characters trying to convey something that is nothing at all. I mean really, no matter how good your hardware, sure you can run the game and it's playable, but the performance is simply not acceptable if you're a regular gamer and value your framerate and visual quality. Combat and RPG-wise it's barely anything morePoorly optimized, simplistic and straightforward combat, emo story and characters trying to convey something that is nothing at all. I mean really, no matter how good your hardware, sure you can run the game and it's playable, but the performance is simply not acceptable if you're a regular gamer and value your framerate and visual quality. Combat and RPG-wise it's barely anything more than Assassin's Creed, not deserving the "RPG" label at all. Clearly all the devs cared about was making a game with "wow" graphics and trying to make it mature (failing hard!) so that people would buy the game en masse. Let's hope it doesn't work because it certainly doesn't deserve it.

Avoid! There are far better RPGs coming this year, no need to waste money on this.
  37. Jan 15, 2012
    The timed dialogue is horrible, i like to relax while gaming and this makes me feel rushed. Make it a player option don't force crap like this on the gamer. I have to keep reloading my game due to it.
    The sneaking sections of the game are laughable, i just played the new deus ex which had amazing sneaking, then i play this and it has the horrible sneaking laugh worthy.
  38. Jun 12, 2014
    Bugs! Still there even in the latest fully patched edition from GOG.
    Bugs! Still there even in the latest fully patched edition from GOG.
    A very good looking and potentially very enjoyable experience which is turned into an exercise in tedium by significant bugs. Specifically, there are times in combat, apparently at random, when the keys do not respond. The combat system ought to be amazing - simple but tough to master. But just as you start to get used to it and you start thinking about tactics, and it's all looking interesting, your character stands there and does nothing while you hammer the keys. ARGH!
    And the crafting system which you start to enjoy and you make yourself a nice new sword and you forgive the game for its combat bug, and you finally win a big fight, and then your sword has disappeared! And it isn't part of the plot... it's another bug. Double ARGH!
    I realise that games such as this are massive undertakings, but bugs like this really spoil the potential enjoyment and turn what is meant to be entertainment into a dull exercise in repetition.
  39. Oct 25, 2013
    probably the best game i have played in years. everything is above par and this game literally made me think other game si used to like are garabage.....looking at u dragon age and
  40. Nov 20, 2011
    First of the game was overestimated due to lack of any other RPG till its release in this year. The story is moderate. The world is so enclosed and tiny (It takes 10 - 15 hours of playing to finish the main quest with some side ones). Graphics is amazing but the engine has no physics (it's for sure not Frostbite). There is little amount of gear and other stuff in this game. Fight withFirst of the game was overestimated due to lack of any other RPG till its release in this year. The story is moderate. The world is so enclosed and tiny (It takes 10 - 15 hours of playing to finish the main quest with some side ones). Graphics is amazing but the engine has no physics (it's for sure not Frostbite). There is little amount of gear and other stuff in this game. Fight with monsters is shovel, with no strategy (high difficulty). The game is not for real RPG fun.
    Any positives... ehm.. mentioned graphics, good dialogs and in some moments its really interesting. But is is no for sure for 10.
  41. Feb 5, 2013
    I need to mention this especially since a sale is going on right now.

You need 8 gigs of ready ram to run this, so if you just have 8 gigs of sticks ready in your computer, your not gonna be able to run this because other programs are gonna use it. Upgrade to 12 to make sure you can run this. I get a low framerate on a 5700 which is expected with a resolution of about 1280-720. There
    I need to mention this especially since a sale is going on right now.

Upgrade to 12 to make sure you can run this. I get a low framerate on a 5700 which is expected with a resolution of about 1280-720. There are not any graphics options that can tweak this so bear all this in mind.

I can run crysis 2 in direct x 11 with the official texture and tesselation packs on ultra with around 25-30 FPS witcher 2 is about 24ish.

As for the game, can't exactly play it but that's kind of a problem, gonna give it an 8 but take that with a grain of salt (I have to submit a review nonetheless to put out this message).
  42. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is decent but just not innovative the only way I could describe this game is a extremely bored porno artist was walking around in the streets and Projekt Red hired him to make a unbearable sex scenes and also for the combat its just one of your extremely boring diseny games the combat is good but just gets old real fast also if it were not for the would get zero!! Expand
  43. Nov 19, 2014
    Nice graphics,
    Nice graphics,
    As new player to the Witcher storyline, the story was just shoved in my face, way to much story in the start, it was not to my liking when getting to knowing the game and dying regularly on normal, the time the character takes to notice he's in from of objects(doors, ladders, or during combat targets) seems almost unbearable(only 1-3 sec, but a lot of ladders and thing to climb over). Ended up finding my self skipping the cut-scenes to get more game-play, and ended up quitting, since it was not a nice way to play the game.
  44. May 28, 2014
    I just don't get it, you guys, and I find it hard to believe that CD Projekt has 2,860 employees, so someone explain to me where all these 10s are coming from. After about 5 hours of playing this, I am straight up BORED. Gruff-voiced tough-guy anti-hero? Check. Big breasted female characters who serve primarily as window dressings? Check. Meandering, "complex" story that doesn'tI just don't get it, you guys, and I find it hard to believe that CD Projekt has 2,860 employees, so someone explain to me where all these 10s are coming from. After about 5 hours of playing this, I am straight up BORED. Gruff-voiced tough-guy anti-hero? Check. Big breasted female characters who serve primarily as window dressings? Check. Meandering, "complex" story that doesn't appear to be really going anywhere? Check. Amnesia trope? Check. Random narration with no real rhyme or reason? Check. Scripted/directed _everything_? Check.

The dialogue scenes are constant, boring, and only advance the plot centimeters at a time. In the brief interludes where I get to wander around a bit, the world is so closed off that I feel like I'm playing a rail shooter. The random snippets of combat that do take place ratchet up the excitement to the level that you'd expect from digging in a toolbox to find the right size wrench. And then there's the arm-wrestling mini-game and street fights determined by pressing the correct button when it flashes on the screen. YAAAWWWWN.

The best thing I can say about this game is that I got it for $3 on Steam. Also, the graphics and sound aren't terrible. I do like the comic-book interludes as a nice change of graphical pace. I really hate to give up on any title, so I'll probably give it another chance or two, but at this rate, I won't feel bad uninstalling it.

Mediocre at best.
  45. Sep 21, 2013
    I've been a gamer for 20 years now, since baldur's gate days i played every RPG out there, and this is one of the best RPG adventure game i played, i hope they make a witcher 3.
  46. May 1, 2015
    After playing through this game many times and viewing the game in its entirety, I realized how much
    CD Projekt Red has gone downhill as a game developer and it doesn't make me look forward to Witcher 3, AT ALL.
    I want to go on record, and say I am all for their GOG, DRM-Free business model regarding PC games, which is where I got my copy of Witcher 2 and all my PC games. 3D Vision

3D Vision Review: This is for those of us like me out there locked into Nvidia's 3D Vision solution, which I prefer to the idiotic notion of playing a game in what I call "photosphere mode" others want to call it virtual reality. I prefer 3D, where things have an amazing depth and actual realness to them, versus the "photosphere mode" being hyped up, because unlike 3D, is all hype compared to 3D, I want to experience the game with extreme 3D depth and smoothness at 120hz per eye, not play the game in a "photosphere mode". In fact, I can't wait for the true 240hz 3D monitors where we get to play the game in 3D with 120hz to each eye with some upgraded 3D glasses. Okay, rant over. This title is Nvidia 3D Vision Ready. My own personal experience with it is that it is great, there's a wonderful sense of 3D Depth at all times when playing in 3D mode, especially with depth and convergence settings set how I want. This is made better by the high quality audio the game has, the environmental sounds are good, the people sound like real people and the music is okay, I'm not a big fan of it, it's just okay to me but it is very high quality.

Gameplay/Story Review: It's a action RPG with a few major dialogue choices here and there, you can interact with everyone but only a few npcs serve a purpose, like merchants and major npcs. It's supposed to be a game world of making choices, but there's no way to go your own way, I personally didn't care for being forced to go Roche's path or Iorveth's path. You can customize Geralt's look somewhat, and there a few armor choices here and there. Not to mention you can't get rid of characters you don't like and change the story, you're forced (once again) to play by the games twisted rules of letting obviously evil characters go, in many cases. There are only a few instances in which you can get rid of the obviously evil characters. I would have preferred more freedom to change the story. It is comparable to a corridor shooter, in that there are very limited choices on where you can go and what you can do and you must go the way the game tells you to with an extremely limited degree of control, which is not what an RPG should be doing. Potions should be able to taken whenever you want, not just during meditation. To me the story is needlessly complicated. I would have preferred if it was more focused. The first glaring flaw that sticks out to me, is that somehow Geralt is being blamed for what happens to King Foltest at the beginning, because there were no witnesses, one simple question for that, is why don't I have the choice to wait for Roche, so Roche can go with me? or better yet, why not wait for Roche to bring along a few Blue Stripes? This comes up a lot, I can think of many situations in the game, where I think out loud, why can't I say no? It makes sense, but no, there is a scripted narrative I must follow, despite how little sense it makes to do so.

Basically, the entire game is scripted in advance, its like playing a modern take on the PC games of old, the point and click interactive movies with digitized or real scenes which also didn't give you much choices either. This game has multiple endings but so do some of those really old point and click games. The areas you get to explore are little more than just pretty scenery, sometimes there's some enemies or a new quest, but you are locked down to a grid. I expect I will feel the same way when I play Witcher 3, which won't happen until I can buy the fully patched game with all DLCs.

2 out of 5, for the great 3D Vision, sound, graphics and the Red Kit SDK. Everything else is just bad and brings the score down a lot.

I do appreciate them providing us with the Red Kit SDK along with this game.
    I hope they provide us with the updated SDK with the release of Witcher 3 and I hope Witcher 3 is a much better game, but like I said, I'm not buying it until I can buy it fully patched and with all of its DLC added in.
  47. Dec 11, 2012
    This game is truly beautiful on just about every level. Combat can be frustrating when multiple enemies take turns knocking you back but you always have a dozen toys at your disposal to wipe the floor with them. The story is hard to follow with all the name dropping and the fact it feels like it was pulled from the middle of a book instead of the beginning or end. It's also moreThis game is truly beautiful on just about every level. Combat can be frustrating when multiple enemies take turns knocking you back but you always have a dozen toys at your disposal to wipe the floor with them. The story is hard to follow with all the name dropping and the fact it feels like it was pulled from the middle of a book instead of the beginning or end. It's also more politically focused this time taking place on a grander scale compared to the Geralt-focused original. Graphics are a sight to see showing off the strength of the best PC power on the market. This is probably the most beautiful & detailed game available today. All in all this game is superior to the original (which is also amazing) on just about every level (I liked the old inventory, alchemy & combat systems better but they are small differences) and superior to most RPGs and games on the market. Expand
  48. Nov 1, 2012
    This is truly the best game I have ever played. I shouldn't have to say much for you to understand what I mean, really just read the other reviews. I love this game! Amazing story, characters, world + lore, graphics and more!
  49. Nov 13, 2012
    Very enjoyable sequel to a fantastic game! If you liked The Witcher, you'll love The Witcher 2. The combat is well paced and the story is brilliant wrote, the voice acting is good too.
  50. Dec 3, 2012
    The best game I played since Baldur's Gate 2. This is the only game ever made that comes this close to Baldur's Gate 2 in epicness. Everything is amazing; from storyline, choices, progression, characters, graphics, difficulty, economy... there is NOTHING bad about this game. I'd love to see an RPG where I can create my own character though. That'd be epic epicness. Great game!
  51. Dec 6, 2012
    Good game to play and complete,
    Cons in my opinions are:
    -Poor animations during dialogues
    -Boring combat gameplay
    -Storyline progression not than entertaining
    I'm looking forward the developers next game, Cyberpunk 2077.
  52. Dec 30, 2012
    The best game of 2011 (IMO) and also one of the greatest RPG's of all time, I fail to pinpoint some major flaw. Everything here is top notch: story, characters, graphics, gameplay, sound, you name it.
    The ONLY problem with the game is that it ends, leaving you wanting for more.
  53. Dec 27, 2012
    Realy very impressive RPG game, the only thing that makes me angry, is optimization, its not as good as it could be. But though thtas first game on that engine, i can deal with that
  54. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is worth 9 and get last points so that be 10 when him whores I really like naked girls and porn in games beacuse that make me play them more.
  55. Nov 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Played on PC. Loved all the great NPCs and storyline. Some minor issues like not being able to craft an armor from the Mist boss since chapter ended before I could do anything. I liked original Witcher a bit better, but the extra choices were a welcome addition for any gripes I had with minor things.

All-in-all the game ran very well for me, UI very good. Gerald is a regular bad-ass. W3 here I come.
  56. Apr 2, 2013
    Though I am still just halfway through the game, the need to rate this game was great. This is A great rpg one that I have been wanting since forever. The last rpg's that made me lock myself up were kotor and a few others. The witcher 2 is the first since those enjoyable titles who tempt me to neglect the real world haha. Nice to see singleplayer rpg's still hold up in this mmorpg day and age.
  57. Apr 3, 2013
    This is the best CRPG I played from a long time. First, the gameplay (fights, alchemy, magic) is quite good and fun. Second, the story and characterization is excellent. The graphics are stunning. Plus there are choices that matter, which is rare in a CRPG these days. Really good stuff.
  58. Apr 25, 2013
    This is a wonderful game and can be found on Steam for 16 bucks. Pretty high PC standards for top quality graphics. The mature content is refreshing since this is a classic RPG. the only negative is unfamiliar with the world history or characters if you have not played original Witcher. The learning curve is pretty steep and it is a difficult game which not a bad thing. Later.
  59. May 3, 2013
    I played the EE of the game fully patched so I base my review on that. The game is great not much to say. Great story, great gameplay, great characters. Things I didn't like where the kinda small locations and to little side quests I think the first one was better in that aspect and I wish they didn't remove the collectible cards (you know what I mean).
  60. Jun 21, 2013
    Pretty epic game and improves upon The Witcher in several ways. The developers put a lot of time and effort into this game. Another AAA RPG that is best played on the PC
  61. Jun 16, 2013
    Horrible controls for a lazy console-to-PC port. Add to that NO XBox controller-on-PC support, a lazy, crap game with no potential. Many people like the "RPG aspects" of this game, but without competent controls it's another Dragon Age rehash with nothing new to offer.
  62. Jul 15, 2013
    I never got a chance to play the game as I couldn't bare the FOV and input lag issues. Probably a great game but seeing as there is no way to fix these problems and nobody cares then I will not see what I bought. I will never understand how a developer can spend so much time on creating a game world and then bottle-neck it through forced limiting options that are a massive affront to theI never got a chance to play the game as I couldn't bare the FOV and input lag issues. Probably a great game but seeing as there is no way to fix these problems and nobody cares then I will not see what I bought. I will never understand how a developer can spend so much time on creating a game world and then bottle-neck it through forced limiting options that are a massive affront to the user. The cursor trails behind the mouse getting ever farther away (maybe mouse acceleration?), either way it cannot be turned off. The camera is glue to the character's back with two portrait views of the environment past the his left and right arm.

If, like me, you cannot stand forced inappropriate fov and zoom and cannot function with mouse input lag, then do not buy this game. If, on the other hand, you think I'm an idiot then get it if you want.
  63. i0n
    Sep 4, 2013
    In itself this is a solid title, but for obvious reasons it's difficult to avoid comparisons with the first game of the series. While you could certainly argue with merit that some issues from the first game have been improved upon, I found the overall experience to be significantly less rewarding than the original. Simply doesn't have the depth of the original, and some of the gameplayIn itself this is a solid title, but for obvious reasons it's difficult to avoid comparisons with the first game of the series. While you could certainly argue with merit that some issues from the first game have been improved upon, I found the overall experience to be significantly less rewarding than the original. Simply doesn't have the depth of the original, and some of the gameplay mechanics have taken a turn for the worse rather than being an improvement. Playing a game should not be a chore. Expand
  64. Sep 24, 2013
    Áreas grandes, muchos enemigos, unas cuantas escenas picantonas (por decirlo suavemente)... pero, por lo demás, aburrido, aburrido, aburrido. Empecé a jugarlo porque tenía entendido que se trataba de un rpg, pero... para nada. Es un juego de acción con unos cuantos toques de rol. Intenté llegar hasta el final, por ver si la cosa se animaba en algún momento, pero no fue así. Que yoÁreas grandes, muchos enemigos, unas cuantas escenas picantonas (por decirlo suavemente)... pero, por lo demás, aburrido, aburrido, aburrido. Empecé a jugarlo porque tenía entendido que se trataba de un rpg, pero... para nada. Es un juego de acción con unos cuantos toques de rol. Intenté llegar hasta el final, por ver si la cosa se animaba en algún momento, pero no fue así. Que yo recuerde, es el único juego que he abandonado cuando me faltaba menos de 1/2 hora para acabarlo. Y sin remordimientos. Expand
  65. Jan 15, 2014
    Terrible combat system, boring dialogues, exploration very limited, bad level design, mediocre music, bad inventory system, nice sound effects. The quality of the character models is mixed, in particular womens, the ones that counts, have no charisma and are predictable (like top models). Everything in the game is sub-par, except the graphics (nice models and textures, but boring anyway)Terrible combat system, boring dialogues, exploration very limited, bad level design, mediocre music, bad inventory system, nice sound effects. The quality of the character models is mixed, in particular womens, the ones that counts, have no charisma and are predictable (like top models). Everything in the game is sub-par, except the graphics (nice models and textures, but boring anyway) and the skill system that seems good enough. It's propably a game developed with a simpleton userbase in mind, even if some riddles are just a pain in the... The game is stressing in everything, combat system, game design, level design. It just put stress on the player. I would not recommend it to anyone except simpletons who need virtual sex, a darkish anti-hero, profanities and boobs. It's far far away from Skyrim or Mass Effect even if it tends to copy them in multiple ways (but with abysmal results). Expand
  66. Feb 24, 2014
    I had lot of fun with this game and I think it deserves to be played and loved. Excelent storytelling, graphics, etc. One of the best RPGs of our time. The biggest issue I have with it now, is that the original DVD does not work anymore. For some reason it keeps re-installing something and it is no longer possible to even launch the game. I think the system of pacthing is probably broken.I had lot of fun with this game and I think it deserves to be played and loved. Excelent storytelling, graphics, etc. One of the best RPGs of our time. The biggest issue I have with it now, is that the original DVD does not work anymore. For some reason it keeps re-installing something and it is no longer possible to even launch the game. I think the system of pacthing is probably broken. So even though the game is great, considering how much money I spent on it when it launched and the fact that the original DVD isn't playable anymore, I don't think it was that much of a good deal. Expand
  67. May 11, 2014
    This game has a very good story, amazing graphics and brilliant voiceovers/cast. What really lets it down so much is the combat system which i feel is completely broken. For a man who is renowned for his physical combat prowess, Geralt seems only capable of defending himself when rolling around on the floor. There are some people who say the difficulty of combat adds to the game and thatThis game has a very good story, amazing graphics and brilliant voiceovers/cast. What really lets it down so much is the combat system which i feel is completely broken. For a man who is renowned for his physical combat prowess, Geralt seems only capable of defending himself when rolling around on the floor. There are some people who say the difficulty of combat adds to the game and that it has a huge learning curve but all i have found is that rolling around again and again like sonic the hedgehog is the only way to defend yourself.

The Witcher 3 on the other hand looks amazing.
  68. Apr 29, 2014
    This series has always obeyed the 'more' philosophy. It's more in story, more in gameplay, more in graphics and that philosophy, unfortunately, is it's downfall. It does too much for it's own good and comes out boring & stodgy.
    ===========
    HOW I RATE: 10-9 score: perfect or near-perfect don't exist; 8 score: one of the best games ever. Top score; 7-6 score: great but not one of the best;
    ===========
  69. Jul 5, 2014
    Overrated game, looks good, and thats about it.
    really decent fighting, and overall exp. if youre looking for it, i suggest you to look elsewhere.
    i do believe youre going to be disappointed.
  70. Jul 8, 2014
    Pros: Beautiful graphics, a great and extremely deep story with loads of profound and impacting choices and a solid combat system.

Cons: An odd compromise between linear and open world game play similar to the Fable series, the story is unfocused and confusing at times but comes together very nicely at the end, poorly implemented interface, map and quest markers leave you lost and confused at times.

Overall: Gorgeous RPG with a story far superior to anything Bethesda could ever conjure up, but there are times when you are painfully reminded that you are playing a game from an Indie publisher that had grander ambitions than what they were actually able to achieve.
  71. Nov 16, 2014
    This game contains too many dialogues, cinematic and readings that sometimes you do not know what you have to do until you read it again. Poor instruction of the game and gameplay. UI is confusing. Controls are poor. Combat is terrible, unless you like ROLLING and ROLLONG all the time.
    I do not recommend this game if you are not fun of RPG games and you don't care about the controls and combat.
  72. Oct 7, 2014
    It doesn't contain jump.
    The enhanced version is over colorful and painful in the eyes.
    You can't easily saw the quest item, there's no lighting on the object.
    Need to craft often to became over power.
    The map is confusing.
  73. Apr 6, 2015
    Meh.... I tired to finish Witcher 1 couldn't do it. So in an attempt to get psych'd for witcher 3 i bought witcher 2. I think i finished it in under 24 hours. the voice acting is underwhelming as well as the general story arc, and most of NPCs are boring and don't really add to much. The graphic and combat were good, but the map was god awful. i'm not sure what the redeeming qualities areMeh.... I tired to finish Witcher 1 couldn't do it. So in an attempt to get psych'd for witcher 3 i bought witcher 2. I think i finished it in under 24 hours. the voice acting is underwhelming as well as the general story arc, and most of NPCs are boring and don't really add to much. The graphic and combat were good, but the map was god awful. i'm not sure what the redeeming qualities are for this game, I'm glad it didn't buy it new, and Im going to have to wait for review on W3. in the mean time I guess it's back to the DA series for me. Expand
  74. Feb 3, 2015
    Don't know if this will update my previous rating however I finally got the game to run using a third party no dot net patch. Sad yet simple. I still can't recommend this game due to these circumstances as it should be fixed as soon as you update the thing
  75. Feb 14, 2015
    .............................................................................................................................................................
  76. Apr 29, 2013
    Well I think there is not much to say after nearly two years after release. Only that The Witcher is still one of the best RPGs ever made. I preordered the game as soon as I saw it on gog.com And I finished the game fourth time yesterday (3x Roche's patch 1x Iorveth's path in total) on the new Dark difficulty.
    Although it should be hard it actually looked like a peace of cake. And all I
    Although it should be hard it actually looked like a peace of cake. And all I have crafted were the Basphemer's and Oathbreaker's armors. I have not used special swords (did not like the effect associated with them). So if there is still someone who has not played the game yet and is considering to buy it, go for it. Just a little warning. You must use your brain and abilities in combat. Forget pressing a mouse button like crazy to kill an enemy (as seen in most games this time unfortunately).
  77. Aug 26, 2013
    Good game, but I did not enjoy it as much as the first Witcher. They lost some of the things that made the first game unique when they made the sequel... and I'm not sure what it is. That being said, sequels rarely are better than the originals, and while this game, to me, is no exception to that rule, it comes pretty close and does a great job of continuing the story (loosely (I've readGood game, but I did not enjoy it as much as the first Witcher. They lost some of the things that made the first game unique when they made the sequel... and I'm not sure what it is. That being said, sequels rarely are better than the originals, and while this game, to me, is no exception to that rule, it comes pretty close and does a great job of continuing the story (loosely (I've read the books)). It's not bad at all, I just did not enjoy it as much.

Insane graphics when cranked, good story, your decisions in The Witcher make a difference, and great music. The bad includes still not being able to jump, too many long videos, and a complicated inventory.
  78. Apr 27, 2013
    No other game can compete with the Witcher 2 's narration. Perhaps a game like Uncharted has a cinematically superior method of presenting the story, but the Witcher 2 has the best story ever. The game is over 30 hours long. It stays in a chapter for a while, but doesn't overstay its welcome. The gameplay is phenomenal to say the least. The 3 different specializations (swordplay, magic,No other game can compete with the Witcher 2 's narration. Perhaps a game like Uncharted has a cinematically superior method of presenting the story, but the Witcher 2 has the best story ever. The game is over 30 hours long. It stays in a chapter for a while, but doesn't overstay its welcome. The gameplay is phenomenal to say the least. The 3 different specializations (swordplay, magic, alchemy) totally change the approach you must take in combat, each of which are awesome to experience. Expand
  79. Oct 26, 2014
    The top game of its year (although not recognized as such due to heavy lobbying for the blockbusters), it refreshed the formula used in The Witcher 1, solves a couple of its problems (including the combat system) and brings the graphics to the limit. Beautifully made, with an at times dark story, The Witcher 2, especially with the free updates of it (and the Extended Edition patch inThe top game of its year (although not recognized as such due to heavy lobbying for the blockbusters), it refreshed the formula used in The Witcher 1, solves a couple of its problems (including the combat system) and brings the graphics to the limit. Beautifully made, with an at times dark story, The Witcher 2, especially with the free updates of it (and the Extended Edition patch in special) still remains an sight to behold. Yes, by now some graphical errors become more obvious. But The Witcher 2 remains one of the best RPGs ever made, and with The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt upcoming which promises to be even better, the series will likely remain an shining example of good RPGs. Expand
  80. Apr 20, 2014
    A great RPG with a massive plot. Somehow the game style changed towards console games, which I don't like, for example the boss fight with quick time events.
  81. Jul 15, 2013
    While original release had a lot of issues (basically everything apart from graphics and story was bad), now after some patches and Enhanced Edition release, a lot of that was fixed. Also recently released Full Combat Rebalance 2 official mod fixed a lot of the "laggy" user input, especially combat fights are way more dynamic. I strongly recommend having the game patched up to EE and FCR2While original release had a lot of issues (basically everything apart from graphics and story was bad), now after some patches and Enhanced Edition release, a lot of that was fixed. Also recently released Full Combat Rebalance 2 official mod fixed a lot of the "laggy" user input, especially combat fights are way more dynamic. I strongly recommend having the game patched up to EE and FCR2 installed for best gaming experience.

At this point the only reason this game does not score 10 are the QTE and cut scenes that are abused in way too many places, dumbing down the gameplay and making it feel like an interactive movie at times.

A solid 9 means that it's a great RPG at this point and there's no reason not to try it if you still haven't ($5 on Steam) before the third installment comes out.
  82. Sep 13, 2013
    A truly epic achievement in the RPG genre. Enjoyed every bit of it. mature, action pack and full of great dialogue. I would have given it a 10 if it weren't for the fact that it was a very very short game...:C
  83. May 12, 2015
    The Witcher 2 is one of the most memorable action RPGs in recent memory. The graphics and sound are great, and the gameplay is pretty good for an RPG. It plays best with a mouse and keyboard, in my opinion. You can tell it was developed for PC. But anyone who gives this over a 7 is delusional. The story is like a LARP. The game freezes and crashes almost regularly. Automatic saveThe Witcher 2 is one of the most memorable action RPGs in recent memory. The graphics and sound are great, and the gameplay is pretty good for an RPG. It plays best with a mouse and keyboard, in my opinion. You can tell it was developed for PC. But anyone who gives this over a 7 is delusional. The story is like a LARP. The game freezes and crashes almost regularly. Automatic save points are lacking. Should you play it? Yes. Expand
  84. Aug 20, 2013
    If you enjoyed the Witcher, you will love this. It's improved in almost every single way. You can carry your save over as well. All in all amazing game, I definitely recommend.
  85. Nov 6, 2013
    Dear CONSOLES, thank you very much once again for the ridiculous 50 degree field of view (FOV) i just love them box-views on my wide screen monitor. Dear Developers, a game that gives me headaches, and DOES NOT allow me to change FOV (tried the mod, tried the 3rd party Wide Screen program, research forums and tried to edit the .ini config files all unsuccessful) immediately gets into myDear CONSOLES, thank you very much once again for the ridiculous 50 degree field of view (FOV) i just love them box-views on my wide screen monitor. Dear Developers, a game that gives me headaches, and DOES NOT allow me to change FOV (tried the mod, tried the 3rd party Wide Screen program, research forums and tried to edit the .ini config files all unsuccessful) immediately gets into my unwanted list. Is it really that hard to allow users to choose whatever FOV they feel comfortable with (i play at 110 degree angle)? Expand
  86. oso
    Feb 17, 2013
    This is how modern RPGs should look like. It has reference graphics, a enjoyable story and great characters. Don't expect an open world though. You go straight from location to location but there are several decisions that have major effekt on the story. Gameplay mechanics are great once you mastered it.
  87. Xon
    Feb 6, 2013
    All hail the Witcher!
    All hail the Witcher!
    Behold a game made by gamers for gamers. There is meticulous carre given to every inch of this game, the makers willing you on to have the time of your life. This game was made to be enjoyed and cherished. In every sense of the word a love letter to games. The company behind it not wasting time on finding new ways of milking people that already bought the game, but thinking of ways to give them more bang for their buck.
  88. Mar 1, 2013
    Best story in an rpg that I've experienced in a looooong time. Combat is harder than other games but there are too many combat friendly rpgs nowadays. I like the challenge and feeling like a mortal, not being god like.
  89. Jun 27, 2013
    Great graphics, a good story, and a highly mature, realistic appraisal of a fantasy universe. Combine this with mod support, responsive combat, and creative dungeon/landscape design, and you have a superb game.

The only downside is, ironically, related to the graphics. The Witcher 2 uses only DX9, rather than DX10 or DX11, and this means that it's virtually impossible to use Anisotropic Filtering on Parallaxed textures. In simpler terms, this means that some textures are blurry when viewed at an angle.
  90. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is CDK Projekt Red's masterpiece, it truly deserves all the praise it has gotten, and I haven't found myself more immersed in the story of any other RPG. What The Witcher 2 completely nails is giving you the feeling that your character is extremely important, as here you will literally be deciding the fates of entire kingdoms, and it is interesting how a sense of scale existsThis game is CDK Projekt Red's masterpiece, it truly deserves all the praise it has gotten, and I haven't found myself more immersed in the story of any other RPG. What The Witcher 2 completely nails is giving you the feeling that your character is extremely important, as here you will literally be deciding the fates of entire kingdoms, and it is interesting how a sense of scale exists without the game being truly open-world, and how your decisions as small as they seem can result in great or very grim consequences to you or somebody else. I love the story and the aspects that reinforce it, and the characters are great, Geralt himself is a complete badass and still has the charisma that a video game hero needs in a big story, and some interactions can be extremely amusing indeed. Moving on from the story, the graphics are incredible, it is one of the best looking games I have played to date, you don't even need them maxed out for the game to look amazing, and the lighting also does a great job. The sound is also great, the soundtrack is one of the best I have heard in a while, and I have no complaints about the sound effects themselves. The gameplay is interesting, given that it does have an extra layer of depth despite what is rather few combinations and possibilities when it comes to combat itself, I do wish for more variety, however I was content with what was presented. When you're not in combat you're in dialogue or possibly exploring a place. Quests and side quests are well balanced and interesting, they never feel like a drag and can lead to some interesting outcomes that only reinforce the story and setting. I do wish for better collision detection however, since I have encountered problems with that. And I also had a few problems with the difficulty curve at the beginning of the game, but that evened out later. Overall this is a must buy, this game is an experience you won't get anywhere else, I can guarantee that. Expand
  91. Apr 21, 2013
    This grade is mostly for the UI overhaul and removal of ISO camera. Anyone who gets motion sickness avoid this game, the 2 ISO cams from the original game are gone. You're going to get stuck with the annoying over the shoulder cam (even the widescreen mod isn't a massive improvement). They redid pretty much everything about the UI for this game, needed for the additions but more clunkyThis grade is mostly for the UI overhaul and removal of ISO camera. Anyone who gets motion sickness avoid this game, the 2 ISO cams from the original game are gone. You're going to get stuck with the annoying over the shoulder cam (even the widescreen mod isn't a massive improvement). They redid pretty much everything about the UI for this game, needed for the additions but more clunky than the original. Story is still solid, gameplay pretty much the same with some slightly more complex options added (traps/thrown weapons). The the cam isn't an issue and you liked the first no reason not to grab it. Expand
  92. May 31, 2014
    An EPIC journey !
    Gameplay, graphics and story all are on equal level of epicness.
    An EPIC journey !
    Gameplay, graphics and story all are on equal level of epicness.
    It's no shame to say that Witcher 2 is the GREATEST RPG game created so far. This is not a game, it is an epic adventure to live through. I am proud to be Polish because Polish people created the Witcher. Zero major flaws, great replay value (no kidding, middle of the game is entirely diffrent depending on your choices) FREE DLCs for everyone (take notes EA games!). The only flaws are very minor problems with some locations and quests, but these are kinda unavoidable because of the project scale and present in every big RPG that came out in recent years.
    The only flaw is the combat which looks a bit ridiculous at times, and the fact that the game's world isn't really that open.
    If you don't own it yet, you are seriously missing out on a great adventure.
  93. Mar 7, 2013
    Never trust your initial reaction...some people just don't have any patience and tend to blow things off immediately for little to no reason at all. Back in the day, I blew the first Witcher off because the genre and the thematic didn't interest me. I said "oh no, fantasy games are for nerdy effeminate geeks" I had just heard about it on the internet, but never looked into it, or everNever trust your initial reaction...some people just don't have any patience and tend to blow things off immediately for little to no reason at all. Back in the day, I blew the first Witcher off because the genre and the thematic didn't interest me. I said "oh no, fantasy games are for nerdy effeminate geeks" I had just heard about it on the internet, but never looked into it, or ever imagined I would be playing it. 2011 came up, The Witcher 2 came out. Back then, I was playing Modern Warfare 2 or Bad Company 2 and was never interested in role-playing games or the like. What I first heard about this game was the whole hype about the graphics about one month before it was released. Back then I was already the proud owner of my first computer I ever assembled myself, and it consisted of an AMD Phenom II x4 965 (now 4 years old), 8GB DDR3 RAM, and two ATI HD5770's (which have since been replaced by two AMD HD7770's). And I said why not, I'll give it a try. So I drove to Kmart and bought this game (Another reason I heard about it was because it was a gift to Obama form a Polish delegate, so that caught my attention too, because it was all over the news). I was eager to see the reason why the media was hyping this game so much. The game play was confusing at first, I was not used to that type of difficulty in a game ever, but that was my fault, it took some time to figure it all out. At first I tried to hack and slash, but that failed miserably. Gearalt kept dying on me in like two hits. I wanted to give up, but then I started to look things up on the internet (that's how I basically got through the game the first time). I discovered you had to combine the signs, sword fighting and potions to beat monsters and bosses. What I most enjoyed about this game is you can craft armor and swords, because not only do they help you in the game, it gives Geralt a very elegant and slick appearance. I like the art style in general, it is an improvement over the first Witcher (sadly I am playing the first Witcher now and it's 2013, I was obligated to go back and play it). I can say almost everything was an improvement from the first Witcher. In the Witcher 1, you constantly draw the wrong sword, like for example when fighting humans I accidentally draw the silver sword which is not effective against them, I have to sit there and wait until he draws the correct sword to be able to beat them. This is not a problem in The Witcher 2. Another improvement is the signs. In the Witcher 1, you get the signs through exploration and quests. If you miss a quest or a place where a sign stone is located, you can never get that sign. For example to get Igni, you have to explore a cave in the first chapter, but if you never do for whatever reason, you will never get igni. In the Witcher 2 you already have all the sighs by default. Quen is by far the most useful because it gives you impenetrable armor for 30 seconds. The story in the Witcher 1 is superb, however I beleive The witcher 2 surpases it. The facial expressions and body movements and character animation help get the point across very well (this is one reason the graphics help). Decision making is also an improvement, but it can be confusing at first. A couple of times I found myself reloading saves because I said, "oh no I didn't want to do that, I wanted to do this instead" or "oh no, I didn't like how that turned out." But then I discovered that was not a bad thing at all. Unlike the first Witcher, The Witcher 2 doesn't penalize you for decisions. In the Witcher 1, you can fail or miss whole quests by making other decisions. For example if you make Kalkstein mad, you can never finish the tower quest (reloading saves for the 10th time lol) you have to finish certain quests before you go on to others. Not in the Witcher 2. In the Witcher 1, If you never talk to Vaska in the swamp, then you cannot finish the tower quest, because she gives you a stone and also sends you to fight the golem, who has the other stone. You see, these kinds for things are easy for noobs like me to miss. I really hope the devs take note of this for The Witcher 3, because there are similar quests in The Witcher 2, for example the medallion quest Meliteles Heart. If you don't talk to the Crinfrid Reavers at the beginning, you will never get that quest. So overall this game was an honor to play. It is my all time favorite video game, and I showed my devotion to it by buying the XBOX360 version too. I bought a whole XBOX360 system just to buy this game again. Now that should be devotion lol Expand
  94. Aug 26, 2013
    A nice game nearly ruined by inconsistent difficulty and frustrating or unreliable mechanics. It has sadly contracted Xbox consolitis (on top of the first game's already mediocre controls). You may have to mash a button 5 times before it registers. Many quests and scripted sequences are convoluted and confusing, leading to excessive trial and error gameplay. Often I had to trawl forums andA nice game nearly ruined by inconsistent difficulty and frustrating or unreliable mechanics. It has sadly contracted Xbox consolitis (on top of the first game's already mediocre controls). You may have to mash a button 5 times before it registers. Many quests and scripted sequences are convoluted and confusing, leading to excessive trial and error gameplay. Often I had to trawl forums and wikis for help. Combat is more difficult & realistic but some fights seem far too difficult, as if the difficulty setting randomly changes. At least TW1 was consistently too easy. But despite its flaws, this is an atmospheric game set in a detailed believable world, that continues the great story of Geralt of Rivia. Worth a look, but you may want to play on 'easy'. Expand
  95. Jun 27, 2013
    Excellent graphics, excellent gameplay, compelling story. It just hurts when you are a gamer with so many games and you can't put the time into a game that truly deserves it to fully comprehend and control.
  96. Oct 10, 2013
    A decent game with interesting gameplay; however not something that really sucked me in. Something about not being able to pick up an enchanted flaming sword and interesting new piece of armour that I could never get my head around, I'm a bit old fashioned that way.
  97. Nov 21, 2014
    The world of witcher is incredibly intriguing and rich. Monarchs being **** people are out to get others, violence, corruption, etc. I am amazed that such a short game can give me all of that, and I am eager to learn more. Its multiple paths tell the story from different perspectives, and your actions actually have consequences that you would care about during the game, and that is a rareThe world of witcher is incredibly intriguing and rich. Monarchs being **** people are out to get others, violence, corruption, etc. I am amazed that such a short game can give me all of that, and I am eager to learn more. Its multiple paths tell the story from different perspectives, and your actions actually have consequences that you would care about during the game, and that is a rare find in recent games, or any games. There are characters that I actually grow to love and care about, which is great.

Releasing the Enhanced Edition for free is just CDPR being awesome towards players. The side quests are fun things, unlike some of the "MMO quests" adopted by a certain company. They might be similar but you do feel the difference as each type of monsters need a different means to exterminate.

Downsides: combat wise it feels like the PC gains more powerful too quickly and scales out of control, and the actiony combat can be repetitive. Also the game's system requirements are ridiculous and I still sometimes get lags on a PC I bought 3 years after its release. The more save files you have, the longer loading screens you experience - definitely an issue (I have to manually delete saves outside of the game as deleting inside is a chore). Also the game is too short, which gives me a sad face.
  98. Jun 10, 2013
    I was never into fantasy games but, this series caught me, I like the characters and all the background stories of them.

It's a beautiful game, but I cannot overlook the technical issues: you need to delete old saves or else it slows down loading times. It randomly crashes once in a while. I have to use JoyToKey to add inventory screen to the "back" button on the 360 pad. I need to force Anisotropic filtering trough driver, etc.

Also, the beginning is a bit too hard and might put off some players, while they shouldn't stop at the prologue, because this is a fantastic game despite it's flaws.
  99. Feb 22, 2013
    Witcher 2 is a brilliant game. It is very rare to play a fantasy/dark-fantasy game that has nice graphics, good writing and characters, and a mature and interesting story. I also like that the games world has European roots. Go play this if you want a great gaming experience, that is getting more and more rare nowadays.
  100. Nov 25, 2014
    I loved TW1. So I got this game as soon as it came out. I beat it and enjoyed every minute of the process. Its beautiful. As soon as I learned The Witcher 3 is in the works I picked it up and beat it again. This time I made all the opposite choices. Thats right! Silly me. My first game ended with me saving Triss over the king's kids with the help of Roach. I never explored all the otherI loved TW1. So I got this game as soon as it came out. I beat it and enjoyed every minute of the process. Its beautiful. As soon as I learned The Witcher 3 is in the works I picked it up and beat it again. This time I made all the opposite choices. Thats right! Silly me. My first game ended with me saving Triss over the king's kids with the help of Roach. I never explored all the other choices. My second play-through I was a freedom fighter with Iorveth who helped the non-humans carve out a kingdom. Its amazing how I could start in the same place. Make completely reasonable choices and end with such a different experience. The whole second act of the game was completely different.
    This game is mature. The characters are complex. The plot is mature. Unlike so many games where there is the clearly good option and the clearly evil option, in this game you try to do good but the choices are hard. Do you let innocent people burn to death, or do you let a bad guy get away without punishment? Choices like that.
    I do have 2 criticisms. Combat is a little hit or miss. Like the real world when the bad guys gang up on you, you are going to take a beating. Also the game is too short. Both these things were partially resolved by the FREE RELEASE of the Enhanced Edition.
    I can't wait for The Witcher 3 to come out.
  101. Jan 4, 2013
    Story: 9 --- What makes the Witcher 2's story so interesting is it's multiple paths. I have played through the game six times and there are 16 endings. Each one is detectably different but there are really only four major endings. The story is well-written and interesting but not particularly unpredictable. --- Visuals: 10 --- This is a pretty game, a very pretty game and the visualStory: 9 --- What makes the Witcher 2's story so interesting is it's multiple paths. I have played through the game six times and there are 16 endings. Each one is detectably different but there are really only four major endings. The story is well-written and interesting but not particularly unpredictable. --- Visuals: 10 --- This is a pretty game, a very pretty game and the visual splendor is most clearly emphasized when it matters - during the many cutscenes. --- Sound: 8: The music is great but very repetitive. The VO is fantastic in most cases though. What strikes me most is that when music is important it is there and when silence is more important than music, you will have it too. --- Combat: 8 --- The combat in the Witcher 2 beats its predecessor hands down. But it isn't perfect and shows it's clumsiness in certain parts of the game, especially when in confined spaces. --- Fun Factor: 8 --- This game is very fun to play game (fun enough to play through six times). The reason I give it an 8 instead of a 9 is because it is too short in the mouth and too long in the knee. That is at certain spots the side quests feel drawn-out and not that interesting. --- Overall: 9 --- Actually an 8.6 but I rounded up. With a great story, beautiful cinematic vibe and solid all-around playing experience, this game is well worth the $30. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011