The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings PC

8.4

1. Jul 20, 2011
    The only reason I considered giving this game any points were its incredible graphics but that's about it. The lack-luster combat of this game killed this game for me. Luckily I was able to check this game out at a friends place so didn't had to spend any money. I have so many other games to try that I usually move on if the game doesn't hook me from the onset. Witcher 1 hooked me rightThe only reason I considered giving this game any points were its incredible graphics but that's about it. The lack-luster combat of this game killed this game for me. Luckily I was able to check this game out at a friends place so didn't had to spend any money. I have so many other games to try that I usually move on if the game doesn't hook me from the onset. Witcher 1 hooked me right from the prologue and I really liked its more simplistic and fun combat. Witcher 2 combat just didn't grip me atall. Geralt has went from a master swordsman to a novice it seems, rolling, avoiding attacks, parry, have to be using signs, no auto-target; basically getting his behind kicked most of the times. Combat is as essential element for me (perhaps even more) as story and graphics. So the boring, somewhat hard and poor combat system was the end of Witcher 2 for me. I guess people prefer this complexity in fights I surely don't so I moved on. Hopefully Witcher 3 will have a better combat system that appeals to a broader audience. Expand
  2. Aug 3, 2011
    i have to say im very disappointed with this game. it prides itself on lots of choices and plot strands, but thats all there is. the acting is hammy, the fighting is repetitive, and all the bad language and nudity in the world wont make up for that. i really tried to like this game, but it got to the point were i didnt care at all what happend and felt no reason to keep playing...
  3. Dec 30, 2011
    Huge disappointment......

I was quite fond of the first The Witcher (2007), and had some expectations from its sequel... But the only good improvement I could find it's the faster saving!!!... Graphics - cartoonish, eye-strayingly tiresome; The main character looked better in Witcher 1, he had more distinct personality Gameplay - completely broken; interface itself makes you wanna throw
    Huge disappointment......

Graphics - cartoonish, eye-strayingly tiresome; The main character looked better in Witcher 1, he had more distinct personality Gameplay - completely broken; interface itself makes you wanna throw the game away, unintuitive inventory and skill system... Combat is unsatisfactory and, though real-time, made me prefer a good D&D instead... And considering I hate D&D...

Story/atmosphere - insipid, been there done that; no real moral choices, only the struggle for political power between different-skins-same-heart cartels... Your main character is no longer the independent, lone wolf hero with a distinct neutral alignment from part 1 in 2007. Now he is no more than the king's lackey. When his boss says : "Witcher, jump in that junk pit!", the "hero", with a placid, resigned, inexpressive countenance, responds: "Yes, Sire. How deep?" ....

Probably the main aspect that ruins this over-hyped game is its complicated, uninspired, clunky interface: the small fonts, the chaotic convoluted item/skill categories, the bleary tutorial...

This game is exactly what a true good modern game SHOULD NOT BE...
  4. Jun 28, 2015
    I have signed up for metacritic just so I can review this game. Don't waste your time!

It's crap! Horrendous combat mechanics, completely unbalanced and infuriatingly (and unnecessarily) difficult. Story seems great if you didn't have to go through the awful combat and fight scenes. You have to google how to complete half the questions and all of the bosses, can't be done on their own.
  5. May 26, 2011
    The combat system is terrible. Absolutely terrible. More super mario than an RPG. Solution: they need to add a cheat code so players can bypass the terrible combat sequences. At least then, players can at least access the storyline w/o a hassle. The first Witcher was an amazing. A labor of love. A joy to play from start to end.

This one was damaged by the whims of marketing

This one was damaged by the whims of marketing weenies. It is a terrible shame. This was built to the specifications of 12 year olds, instead of being built for the adults that are the real fan base of this series. All they needed to do was upgrade the graphics, smooth out a couple of bugs, and give us more story!!!! I wouldn't buy this series again. I'm also sorry I tarnished the memory (the sheer joy) of the first game with my experience on this one.
  6. Aug 8, 2011
    great story, great visuals, everything else is lackluster. Every enemy is so easy to kill even on harder settings, it is completely unrewarding but the story is great, if they released it as a movie or anime w/e it would've been amazing, or if they made the fighting half decent.
  7. May 21, 2011
    The game would have been pretty good (certainly not 10/10 that people are excitedly scoring) but it's just so incredibly rough around the edges. The game I will no doubt have these ironed out with mods and patches but I would suggest waiting for that time rather than a purchase now. And as for why only pretty good, the game has lost the atmosphere of the first game - crypts caves swampsThe game would have been pretty good (certainly not 10/10 that people are excitedly scoring) but it's just so incredibly rough around the edges. The game I will no doubt have these ironed out with mods and patches but I would suggest waiting for that time rather than a purchase now. And as for why only pretty good, the game has lost the atmosphere of the first game - crypts caves swamps forests - they don't feel intimidating places to be anymore. Expand
  8. May 22, 2011
    Has to be the best game made this year so far, Amazing story, Characters and graphics. plus none of the romance **** like other games seem to think are important.

you can tell the developers put alot of hard work in to this and it payed off :)
  9. Jun 2, 2011
    We are living in a world in which when you are a rookie game developer company and you want to make a project that will be a hit, you must come up with a really good and original idea. CD project Red did exactly this with The witcher; A hardcore pc RPG tittle that was clearly unique in terms of story and gameplay options. The success of TW1 led cd project red into making a second game ofWe are living in a world in which when you are a rookie game developer company and you want to make a project that will be a hit, you must come up with a really good and original idea. CD project Red did exactly this with The witcher; A hardcore pc RPG tittle that was clearly unique in terms of story and gameplay options. The success of TW1 led cd project red into making a second game of the witcher concept in which they experimented even more using their own brand new game engine-an utter fail. The graphics may be brilliant, but the really -REALLY bad combat system blows away one fo the most important rpg element - the battle strategy planning. If you want to play a good action-adventure game TW2 wil satisfy you. But if you want to play a deserving sequel to The Witcher you will taste disappointment. It just lacks the magic of the original. Expand
  10. May 31, 2011
    I have no choice giving a so poor note considering the very poor note i think it deserve technologically talking.
    I was waiting theis game for a long time, having been a witcher 1 fan, but im very disapointed. The game is good looking, and story is well wrten but that about all. Graphicly I think it deserve a 7/10 compared to the actual standarts, but where it really sucks its about the way that the heroe moves and how it have to deal very fast with monsters that he dont have what it takes to defeat them.

It the very first time so many good critics for an unfinished game, and honestly I would have prefered to say so much better things about this sequel. For 2007-2009 it would have been in standarts, not in 2011-2012
  11. May 29, 2011
    I don't see what all the hype is about. I pre-ordered in an instant thinking it would be great. I so wish I could have my money back. First of all the difficulty spikes are totally unbalanced and frustrating. Second the game is not a free exploration RPG - it's a linear rat maze. Third, the combat feels clunky - dodge, mouse click - dodge mouse click. I won't even go into the frustratingI don't see what all the hype is about. I pre-ordered in an instant thinking it would be great. I so wish I could have my money back. First of all the difficulty spikes are totally unbalanced and frustrating. Second the game is not a free exploration RPG - it's a linear rat maze. Third, the combat feels clunky - dodge, mouse click - dodge mouse click. I won't even go into the frustrating boss battles - seriously are we still doing frustrating boss battles in what is supposed to be an epic RPG? Don't get me wrong - I like a well constucted boss battle but not this type of annoying fail and repeat until you get just the right dodge and swing. Are we playing mario brothers or something???? The interface is functional but so many times it seemed to get in the way of gameplay. Also what is up with not letting PC users re-map to the keys we like to use???? It let me re-map a few keys but the important keys I use it would not let me re-map too. I will regretfully be uninstalling. I so thought I had learned my lesson not to pre-order too early. Expand
  12. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 (TW2) the best and worst game of 2011 so far, simultaneously. The story is interesting and not cookie cutter. It is semi faithful to the books, though not completely consistent with some breakthroughs from TW1 imports. It's beautiful looking and the sound score is interesting. The characters seem to have depth and you can feel attached to some of them.

On the bad side the

On the bad side the controls are inconsistent and grating. As an action game it's horrible, and as an RPG it relies far too much on action elements. If you were to hold up games like Assassins Creed or Arkham Asylum as simple action games that have compelling and inclusive combat systems, TW2 is a jarring and horrible system where neither of your two attack buttons provide any positive or visceral feel; and you spend most of your time trying to not die. The assumption is that you will begin every fight hopped up on potions, setting traps, etc. but it ends up just being tedious. To produce potions you need to gather/buy/borrow/steal ingredients. To produce traps and such you need to find a craftsman to produce these items. Every combat in TW2 is like an MMO raid where you're farming ingredients just to produce the items you need to beat up a few petty thugs. And even then, it's likely you're going to beat the tar out of you, and only your massive health regeneration from potions is saving you.

The menu system is extremely non-intuitive and terrible if you try to use the gamepad controls in the game. Which is unfortunately, because you need to spend a lot of time in the menus micro-managing your inventory weight, your item productions, your recipes, and every other aspect of an extremely tedious consumables system.

The camera is terrible. It perches on your shoulder, with no way to zoom out, and is generally staring you in your face while people beat on you. There's a target lock system, but since parrying is directional and you can't dodge or parry many actions, it's difficult to stay locked on. The free-form locking switches intermittently for no foreseeable reason, causing you to suddenly lunge past the person you were fighting to try to stab someone out of range behind him.

It's a confusing thing to hear the AI actors talk about how scary "The Witcher" is, when in fact he happens to be one of the more pathetic combatants in the game. In certain parts you're left cowering behind your female companion waiting for her to save you from the incoming hordes. Gone is the Geralt of TW1 with his acrobatic attacks and theatrical swordplay. It's replaced by mostly blocking, rolling away, or running away. The combat in TW1 was odd, with other creatures and terrain getting in the way of clicking them to continue your combos, but it generally worked. If you had the time to actually watch Geralt (instead of waiting for the next "click to continue the combo" icon) he was an impressive killing machine. Not so in TW2. So, if you can overlook the worst fighting system I can actually remember playing in the past 10 years, and an overly tedious inventory and consumable system; the rest of the game is brilliant. I find playing it in short bursts helps split up the tediousness of it and let's the strengths shine through.
  13. May 25, 2011
    This game could have been great. Bad controls, terrible combat and a rushed 3/4 game which is much too short. But it's great crime is to pretend to be deep. In reality, it is a shallow action game.
  14. May 28, 2011
    The games combat system is hard to get a good grip on and besides the elegant graphics its hard to say any form of fighting is enjoyable. While the game looks nice, very nice, the story alas does not live up to that of witcher 1, it is bogged down by bad plot and rushed feelings. It just feels like they tried to upgrade the first one and make it more interactive but the game starts out tooThe games combat system is hard to get a good grip on and besides the elegant graphics its hard to say any form of fighting is enjoyable. While the game looks nice, very nice, the story alas does not live up to that of witcher 1, it is bogged down by bad plot and rushed feelings. It just feels like they tried to upgrade the first one and make it more interactive but the game starts out too rough and ends too soft giving the wrong effect and overall losing my enjoyment. Expand
  15. May 23, 2011
    First off, I need to say that I only bought Witcher 2 out of curiosity and that I haven´t played the first part. I´ve played Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Gothic 3, Risen and STO over the last years (on harder difficulties) - so that´s more or less the foundation for any evaluation and comparison...

THE GOOD: The game has absolutely

THE GOOD:

The game has absolutely beautiful and stunning visuals that create an atmosphere in some places which is matched by few other games to date. At least it blew my mind a couple of times. Along with this, most of the level design ist absolutely first rate, too. Animations are generally very smooth, the voice acting (EN) is very good and "authentic" and the characters are mostly appealing. While I haven´t completed the story yet, I (not knowing The Witcher 1) must say that the characters show a certain unpredictability and duality. I´m not familiar with any kind of fantasy literature (except LOTR - which I read before the movies came out), so this whole plot thing may be significantly less predictable to me than to others... Up to now the game has proven to be very motivating - I really like exploring the small but gorgeous areas in forests, plains, towns etc. The hunt for new items is fun, too - as it should be in any good RPG. While you do not have a breathtaking amount of freedom in this game, it doesn´t create any strong sense of things recurring too often. All in all, this portion of the game(play) works absolutely fine with me.

The rest will have to be cut down in length due to the limited number of characters... It´s no less significant though!

THE BAD:

- The difficulty is already ridiculous on "normal" (thanks in no small part to the AI and controls)
    - Combat is mostly either frustrating or nothing but button mashing and rolling around on the ground (resembles Gothic 3); magic mostly sucks
    - Unrefined controls; you can´t jump and you can (and will) get stuck on every tiny little object (especially fun during combat)
    - More MMO-like AI behaviour (trigger zones for whole mobs etc.)
    - No real tutorial (read the manual!)
    - Poor inventory screen (remember Obllivion?)
    - Little character development & customization (it´s more like Dead Space than Oblivion for example)

THE UGLY:

- Lots of invisible level barriers (Geralt can´t jump because he´s too old for that)- this one sucks big time
    - Graphics glitches (NPCs popping up out of thin air, moonwalk-NPCs etc.)
    - Loading screens when entering/leaving buildings (not really a big one in this list)
    - Registration required to get all the quests and items in the game (really wtf?!)

CONCLUSION:

This game does have a lot of atmosphere and potential - both of which are ruined to a certain degree by really unnecessary flaws in game design and gameplay. It more or less works a s a whole, but at times the gameplay is simply infuriating or it has you sitting in front of the screen thinking "What were they thinking!?" Additionally, the character development in this game is quite limited. It works more like those shooter games that have implemented RPG-elements. Be aware of this before you buy the game. After this experience I´ll gladly be waiting for Skyrim...
    I may be nitpicking at times, but why should we just quietly accept all the bad ideas that game designers come up with?! After all, I payed 50â
  16. May 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Witcher is a good game. Beautiful, and something i waited for a long time. since kotor or NwN i havent played rpg that good. but that's all it is. good. there are no games in which we could see something new, something that could surprise us in a good way. witcher is rpg the way it should be, and there's a lot of things i like in it. conversation, graphics, nudity...hehe. i give it six, because this is reality of games today, everything leads to one goal, and that is better graphics, better graphics, better graphics,etc. actually the prime time of rpg-s was long time ago, time of black isle, and time of troika games. this is just another times, modern times, times of making money, and not making games.cheer Expand
  17. Jun 15, 2011
    Didn't play the 1st. I admit it was the graphics who convinced me to play it. I have an xbox controller for Windows so I was ready for some action.
    But there is a big problem with the combat system. On normal difficulty its a challenge. The boss fights were are so frustrating. You inevitably have to restart them a few times. I normally love a challenging game because the reward is so much sweeter. But there is a difference between between challenging and cruel.
    I stopped playing after 7-8 hours. I rage quit and un-installed. Perhaps another time I'll have the calmness to play it.
  18. Dec 20, 2011
    Seems like a good game, if I could play it for more than 10 minutes. Even that time frame is only if the moon and stars align in just the right way. I have a top of the line system and the game run, *when it runs* very smoothly and looks great. However the problem is constant crashing where the game will just exit to windows. I have not found a patch that fixes this issue though I haveSeems like a good game, if I could play it for more than 10 minutes. Even that time frame is only if the moon and stars align in just the right way. I have a top of the line system and the game run, *when it runs* very smoothly and looks great. However the problem is constant crashing where the game will just exit to windows. I have not found a patch that fixes this issue though I have seen that others are having this same problem. You simply cannot tell when the game will crash. Is it when I select the map? How about when I try to save? This one is especially brutal when you've just played 15 minutes, hit the save button and the game crashes forcing you to replay everything. I would love to rate this game higher but this bug (there are a few more, but all minor in my opinion) prevent me from enjoying it. I would STRONGLY recommend that you do not purchase until this bug is fixed or until the game goes for a bargain price. Or unless your attention span lasts 5 to 10 minutes at a time, you know whatever. Expand
  19. May 27, 2011
    This got such excellent reviews and I'm struggling to understand why. The lack of freedom while playing is the one thing that put me off - not freedom as in decided to go wherever I want to go but more in terms of it just being so forceful as to how I get there. You can't climb up most things or jump over them - when you can you have to "left click". You can't just enter a door unlessThis got such excellent reviews and I'm struggling to understand why. The lack of freedom while playing is the one thing that put me off - not freedom as in decided to go wherever I want to go but more in terms of it just being so forceful as to how I get there. You can't climb up most things or jump over them - when you can you have to "left click". You can't just enter a door unless you're right in front of it and when you can you "left click". To attack enemies you "left click" ok and you can "right click", "Q" and "E" but most of the time it's "space" "space" "left click" "Q" "left click" "space" "left click" etc. It's just not satisfying.

You're "pulled" or "pushed" through doorways rather than having free movement and the invisible walls (more like blocks) make it feel like I'm playing in a maze with very tight corners. The graphics are rather pretty but not pretty enough to have it killing my PC as it currently does. Oh and the camera view feels off as does the movement. Find herbs and making potions is another boring part of the game.

Conclusion: I just don't find this fun to play...isn't that way games are meant to do - be fun?
  20. May 31, 2011
    Unless you hate clever story-telling, smart dialogues, or the English language, avoid this game like the plague! First of all, this game's story is atrocious: it evolves around pseudo-political plot points: why make the main plot about politics in a non-established universe that the game insists on not explaining? I mean we are two games in this series, and we still wonder: WHAT THE HELLUnless you hate clever story-telling, smart dialogues, or the English language, avoid this game like the plague! First of all, this game's story is atrocious: it evolves around pseudo-political plot points: why make the main plot about politics in a non-established universe that the game insists on not explaining? I mean we are two games in this series, and we still wonder: WHAT THE HELL IS A WITCHER? Obvious failure. Story: 0/10. The graphics are very pretty, even on a lesser machine like mine. Landscapes are beautiful, and the lighting effects are probably some of the best looking ever. 10/10. Music is boring, and uninspired, the sound-scape is terrible and amateurish 1/10. Now the game-play, let's focus on the broken...ohhh so broken combat system. It sucks...did I tell you It sucks? because it does...even those who "love" this game hate the combat system. The problem with the system is it doesnt know it's if "actionny" "strategical" or even older style "r-p-g-esque", It's a mix, a cross-bread, and in the end, it fails at being any or all of the above mentioned 3 systems. You will end up abusing the shield spell ( the only one needed ) or will end up running around your opponents in a very comedic and cartoony fashion waiting for your meter to recharge. gameplay 2/10. I give it a bonus point for the Morally grey decisions, those are fun and were a trademark of the first game. All and all, the game feels like an Industrial/EBM German robot-vampire love song and doesnt deserve anything more than the 4/10 I give it. Expand
  21. Dec 16, 2011
    What I always try to do when playing a new game is to purposely look for the bad features in the game, this lets me see if they can be overcome by the good features and whether the game will be enjoyable or not. One of the key things that you need to have in any RPG game is a smooth and consistent method of combat. Sadly the combat in The Witcher 2 is extremely clunky, inconsistent, andWhat I always try to do when playing a new game is to purposely look for the bad features in the game, this lets me see if they can be overcome by the good features and whether the game will be enjoyable or not. One of the key things that you need to have in any RPG game is a smooth and consistent method of combat. Sadly the combat in The Witcher 2 is extremely clunky, inconsistent, and quite often just downright frustrating. At times you will find that enemies just block attacks over and over again, leading you to resort to 'cheesy' tactics (running around in circles like a headless chicken, planting traps and throwing grenades. Pre-trapping areas against boss monsters with about 50 snare traps on top of each other.) in order to overcome them. Sometimes enemies will just outright kill you without you having any opportunity to retaliate. Then on other occasions you will effortlessly slaughter a group of enemies within the span of 5 seconds. The camera needs serious tweaking, and a Field of View option should be mandatory for any first or third person PC game these days. I like to actually be able to see things considering I'm using a 29" wide screen monitor. I wouldn't mind being able to consume potions without having 1 minute downtime every time I need to apply them. I find it ridiculous that some keys are hard-bound into the games code, so you can't even bind the keys the way YOU want it. Combat aside for a second and the game may have some redeeming features, other RPG's usually win points for ingenuity, story, character development. I just don't see any of that with The Witcher 2. The characters are pretty bland, and don't really make much of a forward movement from the first game in the series. The gameplay hasn't really taken much of a step up, I'd say in ways it's more frustrating than the first one. When I play games it's usually for a challenge at the same time as entertainment. The Witcher 2 tests my patience to the extreme. On an extremely robust computer the load times are agonizing, considering you'll be reloading some points over and over again. The graphics are pretty, but that's only after I watch the textures loading when I turn around quickly. The voice acting is good enough for an RPG, the sound in combat is acceptable, the music works well with the game and the situation (exploration/combat). There is no 'sprint' feature so travel-time can be excruciating during some points of the game. With sub-par combat, long and painful 'buff' periods, and an overall below average immersion level, I give the Witcher 4/10 for just not having the same kind of effect that the prequel did. Expand
  22. Jun 21, 2011
    Most unsatisfying game play EVER. I want to like a cool fantasy rpg, but graphics and a story don't make a game, they make a show. Sluggish and unnatural movement and no combat system turn this cool-vibe-game into a purely frustrating experience. Yuck!
  23. Jun 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. I haven't seen such "glazed" crap in a long while...

I won't be brief. I joined only to put this review here so people can learn what to expect of the game.

1. The game is ridiculously short. What is there to play, will fast become tedious backtracking and dull repetition of actions to the point that you'll wish to delete the game right then and there and forget it even exists. I also need to point out that there's not much to do. Simple side quests that put WOW to shame, so insanely complicated by the lack of navigation and explanation it borders stupidity. Bravo.

2. It's complicated. Pointlessly complicated. The task of creating and/or drinking a potion requires you to enter meditation mode. Why? The potions are so nonsensically useless, I beg to question the point of their existence in the game. I only used one potion. ONE POTION. And only because the game told me i had to. I got more use of the oils. Which brings me to the item creation feature. You have to FIND and PAY craftsman to create an item. I realize Geralt's no McGuyver but that's just stupid. A craftsman skill would've made more sense in my opinion. But that's just me. I also found the mutagens to be useless.

3. The combat system is confusing. Half the time i don't know what i'm doing and the guide offers little help. Considering i haven't played the first Witcher game, i can't exactly say if it had a better one, but this one sucks and that's all i care. 4. I think the game has more bugs that Stalker Clear Sky. I'm even prepared to say that it has more bugs than BIOSHOCK. At least Bioshock didn't have much bugs that were crippling for the further development of the story. Patch 1.2 installed and nothing's changed.

5. Anticlimactic story ending. The story begins interestingly enough, builds up a massive fuss, only to end with a fart in the wind. I'll not say why, i don't wish to spoil anything, but i know people will understand what i mean. The the boss fights are Ok. It's much like an "interactive movie", like most people warn, but i wish to point out that there's an accentuation on the "movie" bit, while the "interactive" part falls very short. I was left disappointed and without a yearning for a replay.

The ONLY positive side of the game is that i'ts eye candy. I applaud and commend the fine gentlemen that were in charge of the game's visual designs and artwork because that's the only thing that drove me to keep on playing even though i hated myself for being so weak.

In summation, I don't like the game. I'm sure others will like it. As for me, I guess i had high hopes. For something more than a messy plot and fantastic visuals. The problems the game clearly has, are just too much for me. And i'm being lenient, believe me.
  24. May 25, 2011
    Well made story line, although does fall short at the ending. Good looking graphics. But thats about it for the positives. I had to spend a few hours just trying to get this game to work right. It would not play sound through my headset, and there was a random bug which cause my fps to drop into the single digit range (Radeon 6870). Also for the negatives, theres terrible mouseWell made story line, although does fall short at the ending. Good looking graphics. But thats about it for the positives. I had to spend a few hours just trying to get this game to work right. It would not play sound through my headset, and there was a random bug which cause my fps to drop into the single digit range (Radeon 6870). Also for the negatives, theres terrible mouse acceleration or something going on which causes the mouse to 'slide' around and making controlling anything, especially in menus, a pain. Also, the combat is horrid. Expand
  25. May 23, 2011
    A game with unique artistic direction and a mature story. And by mature I don't mean sex and violence, although the game obviously has plenty of these too. The only thing that seriously took a turn for the worse is the combat system. Because you'll be constantly kiting and rollin' rollin' rollin' even when fighting the easiest opponents. Which is NOT fun. Almost like they didn't playtestA game with unique artistic direction and a mature story. And by mature I don't mean sex and violence, although the game obviously has plenty of these too. The only thing that seriously took a turn for the worse is the combat system. Because you'll be constantly kiting and rollin' rollin' rollin' even when fighting the easiest opponents. Which is NOT fun. Almost like they didn't playtest to check for combat balance. The whole game was apparently a little bit rushed and the combat is only one of the aspects that are unpolished. Still s**ts all over Dragon Age II. Expand
  26. May 21, 2011
    I beat the game and i have to say that this game WAS amazing, up until part 3. RED did well on making the game, but 16 endings is a little too much i think. If any one of you think that after u finish exploring the city you go to after chapter 1 (Futsome or something like that, i forgot) that is the only unique city you going to go to in your playthrough. Right after that, you don't goI beat the game and i have to say that this game WAS amazing, up until part 3. RED did well on making the game, but 16 endings is a little too much i think. If any one of you think that after u finish exploring the city you go to after chapter 1 (Futsome or something like that, i forgot) that is the only unique city you going to go to in your playthrough. Right after that, you don't go to any other city, instead, u go to the Gathering and end the story. There is no sense of epicness at all, where something big happens, you pretty much go straight to chapter 3, the shortest chapter, around 2 hours long. It seem like they focus their energy on Chapter 1, then they make 16 otehr places you can go to in chapter 2. At first i think u will play all the places and finally go to chapter 3, nope, you only get to do one land per playthrough. it is pretty, pretty sad. Right now this game will be among the greats, but after a week or two, when people start beating the game, you will start seeing it fall down and down, probably to among the 7-8s. Expand
  27. May 25, 2011
    This game has good voice acting and an interesting story but in the gameplay department where it really feels like a bad console game ported to the PC. IF you like to run and jump off things, if you like to run, sneak, walk or any combination of those things, if you like to choose the direction your facing and choose the target your hitting, if like to hit enemies stood on the step aboveThis game has good voice acting and an interesting story but in the gameplay department where it really feels like a bad console game ported to the PC. IF you like to run and jump off things, if you like to run, sneak, walk or any combination of those things, if you like to choose the direction your facing and choose the target your hitting, if like to hit enemies stood on the step above you or below you or do any of the things you expect to be standard affairs in any RPG, then your in for a massive disappointment here because the Witcher 2 is a carefully controlled game that chooses those things for you. One like cut scenes with gameplay breaks using its dodgy AI. This game will not even run unless you turn your desktop resolution down to below 1920x1080 and set the game to the same resolution as your desktop. The register game window that offers a free troll quest, does not even accept keyboard input, so you cannot actually register the game and from what the official website says, they seem to be having serious issues with the servers that handle that. Overall, not a good game, its almost entirely eye candy and cut scenes getting all the positive scores, the game play it self is badly letting the side down. Expand
  28. May 28, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an ambitious game that regretfully doesn't deliver a compelling experience on all fronts. It's a fantastic looking game and the story is excellent, the character development, dialogue and player choices are also great. I'd love to give this an eight or nine but it's simply not justified. Standing between you and what should be an immersive and brilliant game-world is aThe Witcher 2 is an ambitious game that regretfully doesn't deliver a compelling experience on all fronts. It's a fantastic looking game and the story is excellent, the character development, dialogue and player choices are also great. I'd love to give this an eight or nine but it's simply not justified. Standing between you and what should be an immersive and brilliant game-world is a sub-optimal UI/menu system, poor interation model and frustrating combat mechanism. I'm having trouble forgiving the design flaws and it's a real shame, the Witcher 1 was a great game despite it's flaws - the Witcher 2 is only a passable one because of them. I was close to giving it an eight, after all it's an amazing achievement for a small studio such as CDPR, but it's not the scope that is lacking a or vision that hasn't quite been realised - it's the fundemental elements of a computer game that aren't particularly workable and these should have been nailed. Expand
  29. May 25, 2011
    I was really hyped up for this game. I played through Witcher 1 three times when it first came out, because the game was so engaging and the combat so fluid. However, I have to say I am extremely disappointed in Witcher 2. For one, it feels like a console port. Moving with WASD seems more like moving with a D-Pad on a controller, than the smooth FPS style movement of the first game.I was really hyped up for this game. I played through Witcher 1 three times when it first came out, because the game was so engaging and the combat so fluid. However, I have to say I am extremely disappointed in Witcher 2. For one, it feels like a console port. Moving with WASD seems more like moving with a D-Pad on a controller, than the smooth FPS style movement of the first game. The key binds are even setup outside the game in a console port style. The combat has been nerfed to the point of being trivial. In the first game you had three stances with stacking combos. In Witcher 2, you have two attacks. LMB is fast, RMB is slow. Also forget parrying or dodging in a sword fight, if you do not hit the button several seconds before being attacked, expect to be hit. What happened to spontaneous parrying and dodging that was so fun in the first game, and is expected in an action RPG? Only CD Projekt can answer that one. Game play aside, there are many game breaking technical issues. I have an i5 760, 4GB RAM, and an nvidia 460. I should be able to run the game flawlessly on High, or at least Medium settings. However, I barely get 15 FPS in Low settings. This seems to be an issue for many nvidida users, with no current fix from either nvidida or CD Projekt. Another troubling bug is if you have a 7.1 headset. The game is not compatible with these headsets and will result in no game audio. The only suggested fix I found from CD Projekt on the official forums was to disable 7.1 with the headset software, or use on-board audio. Unfortunately the G35 does not have any way to revert to or force stereo or 5.1 audio. Using on-board would be great, if I had it. I would not be concerned with this incompatibility if this was some obscure brand headset. However, this is a Logitech Gaming series headset. It is beyond me how this was not caught in internal testing.

Buyer Beware. The game is pretty, and from what little I saw, probably has a good story. Hard to tell with no sound though. While the Critical Reviews might be good, I'd strongly advise caution with game stopping bugs like these. In addition if you think it will play anything like the first game, you are in for a disappointment.
  30. Sep 14, 2011
    The game was not special in my opinion and had countless flaws, oblivion and mass effect are much better. Pros: The games graphics are very good... yeah and that is where it all ends. Cons: The games difficulty variability is plainly retarded, being the most difficult in the prologue of the game as well as two of the bosses. The game's combat is shallow, all you do is time your strikes,The game was not special in my opinion and had countless flaws, oblivion and mass effect are much better. Pros: The games graphics are very good... yeah and that is where it all ends. Cons: The games difficulty variability is plainly retarded, being the most difficult in the prologue of the game as well as two of the bosses. The game's combat is shallow, all you do is time your strikes, alternate between heavy and light attacks, and use the Quen spell all the time as you pretty much have to do this in order to stay alive on hard difficulty or higher, there is no strategy with any of the enemies besides being patient and rolling all the time while giving a strike here and there only later when one is stronger can one be more straight forward. The game goes way too textbook fantasy, elves blah blah, dwarves blah blah, generic enemies we have all seen done better in other games. Also the cursing and the sexual connotations become tedious very quickly. One of the biggest problems was that there are so many useless things put into this game, the 5 other spells i didn't use because they were simply USEless, the potions and bombs etc. that could be created were never used except 1 type of bomb in the beginning called the grapeshot. The game is not very big at all, there are only two main locations where one spends 95% of the game time the other 5% is in the beginning and end.Lets also mention the very dumb AI and annoying glitches where the game restricts movement, i was also unable to finish 1 of the secondary quests due to a glitch and i felt this game was an unfinished product. Finally i simply found the characters bland, boring,generic, uninteresting, yeah do i need to use any more synonyms. Lastly the story was just nothing special and had in my opinion a bad ending. a mediocre 6.5/10. Expand
  31. Aug 15, 2012
    An RPG that *almost* nails it.

An RPG that *almost* nails it.

The game has an amazingly immersive story, possibly one of the best rpg stories I've played through, the characters you meet are believable, and well voice acted. The graphical art style is often mind blowingly beatiful, the lighting, and effects in certain areas is very stylish. The sound art direction is also great, hearing trees creak and rocks crumble as you embark alone on your quest really brings about a thrilling feel of being a 'lone wolf'.

However, the game's combat system is just severely broken, it's clumsy at best. You get stuck to character models, other models get in your way, and even if the combat WAS fluent and flawless, its not really very fun at heart, simply leading to slash, dodge, harder slash, block and a magic move. thats it. It lacks innovation, which is frustrating because this game does have innovative ideas, they are just poorly implemented, such as adding oils to your blades, and drinking potions that have different effects.

The problem with these innovations is that you may only drink potions when you are in a safe location, so it leads to alot of getting killed trial and error to know which potions to use for the upcoming battles.

Getting killed is a big deal. You will die a lot in this game. A lot. The difficulty curve is indestinguishable; on easy the game is insultingly easy, and on normal the game is just enfuriatingly difficult. Unfortunatly due to the buggy combat, the high difficulty isnt due to clever gameplay and AI, but rather issues like getting stuck on a tree root as you were trying to dodge an attack, and being killed in 2 hits because you didnt drink that potion that gives you resistance to poison X before the battle.

Unfortunatly I find the only way to excel at the game in normal mode is to exploit the terrible combat bugs in my own favour, which sort of kills the immersiveness of the story.

Another minor issue is the gameover screen. It's sort of buggy, sometimes the button to 'continue' just doesnt work, and you have to spam clicking it for like a minute then it finally responds... Im being picky, I know, but honestly... it's a screen you will see alot of if you don't play on easy.

All in all without slating the game too much, it's worth picking up, and perhaps the 6 is slightly fuelled by frustration, but the points I have made are valid, and you will run into these problems in the game. If you are looking for a game with no particular challenge, and would intend to play through on easy for the story and immersive qualities, this game is a must-buy, but if you are looking for a perfect game with intense and challengeing *but fair* combat, then look elswhere.
  32. Nov 11, 2011
    Game is nice, for sure not a masterpiece as a whole.
    graphics are great , even thou on my i7 with a gtx560 i can't run them fully.
    Story is interesting and you can play the game twice (or even 3 times), but no more. what i didn't like: -instanced maps, you see that road?, fine now that you've seen it go back to what you were "paid" to go -console "press X" mechanics, wanna hit that big
    Game is nice, for sure not a masterpiece as a whole.
    graphics are great , even thou on my i7 with a gtx560 i can't run them fully.
    what i didn't like:
    -console "press X" mechanics, wanna hit that big baddie? click B..swirl swirl now click B again
    -console inventory, how the hell you'r goin to find something in your backpack is a miracle
    -stupid potions, drink now you never know what you might face tomorrow..you drank the wrong one? haha silly witchy
    -fighting animations, i don't like playin the role of a pale monkey swirling and jumpin around while weavin a stick at big guys
  33. Dec 15, 2011
    I bought this just after finishing Skyrim and the experience was jarring. Skyrim is huge, free flowing and fun. In comparison witcher 2 feels small, cramped and constraining. It does have its good points like some good combat but thats offset by how short it is (its truly tiny), the lack of freedom, and the awful awful boss battles.

Still its an OK game, just made to look very weak by Skyrim.
  34. Mar 5, 2012
    The story is decent and interesting albeit rushed towards the end. The actual character building through adding stats to your desired gameplay preference is pretty flawed too as I didn't even fill one tree (there are 3). And it was pretty light on the rpg element of manipulating your character really. As for any real combat tactics, there really is none. This game doesn't shine in theThe story is decent and interesting albeit rushed towards the end. The actual character building through adding stats to your desired gameplay preference is pretty flawed too as I didn't even fill one tree (there are 3). And it was pretty light on the rpg element of manipulating your character really. As for any real combat tactics, there really is none. This game doesn't shine in the combat department like for instance batman arkham city did. It pretty much is a button bashing nightmare sometimes. Then we have games engine. It felt un-optimized, with an above average computer I couldn't get it to run with it high settings at all and had to live with mid level settings so the game is hugely demanding. Which means they spent no time on whether PC could handle the game. I give this game a 6 as I only pushed to complete it as I just wanted to know the ending to the story not for the accomplishment of completing the game. Expand
  35. May 26, 2011
    Alright let me begin by saying that this game is NOT GoTY material, and it's May you jarheads, don't make such assumptions. The combat is more broken than a glass house after a tornado hit it; a tornado filled with golf-balls. then we have the STORY. Is it me, or is this game just a cheap cash in on trying to portray "mature" sex in video games. This game had potential, but it's just nothing.
  36. May 21, 2011
    I am very disappointed with this game and I can't believe when people say that it could be the GOTY and one of the best RPGs out there. The game has insane performance issues. The game is very demanding on the graphics requirements, so I must run it on low settings and even with that the game sometimes bogs down horribly. Moreover, the camera and characters have horrible issues, especiallyI am very disappointed with this game and I can't believe when people say that it could be the GOTY and one of the best RPGs out there. The game has insane performance issues. The game is very demanding on the graphics requirements, so I must run it on low settings and even with that the game sometimes bogs down horribly. Moreover, the camera and characters have horrible issues, especially in cutscenes, where a character, for example, will finish speaking a line and then glitch into another position. Sometimes archers will shoot at you while facing a wall. Interacting with objects can be horribly annoying, especially since Geralt likes to keep moving for an excessive amount of time after you've released movement keys. The tutorial could be useful if it had been done properly, half the time I didn't even notice the tips; sometimes because they appeared after the event, sometimes because I was too busy fighting enemies to notice -no, the game doesn't pause for you to read. All of these can be considered as minor issues once you get to the core of the problem: The game is not an RPG, unless you consider FFXIII an RPG. Character growth is a joke, and combat is an even bigger joke. The game feels like a port even though it isn't. Fighting enemies requires absolutely no strategy, just smashing the left and right mouse buttons. There is also a very broken stealth system and before you end the initial sequence of the story, you find more holes in it than a cheese grater.
    I wanted to like this game, really. But when the characters are shallow and the gameplay is absolutely dreadful, well, wanting to like it just doesn't cut it. If you want a real RPG, go back to Bethesda or Bioware.
  37. May 24, 2011
    Witcher series is going down with this one. From the start you can tell it is "console" oriented - fist fights dumbed down with some button mashing, the same with first boss fight(forgot its name). But the worst part is that this game is unfinished - lots of bugs, clunky interface, clunky movement, clunky combat, most annoying doors in any computer game i have played and quest trackingWitcher series is going down with this one. From the start you can tell it is "console" oriented - fist fights dumbed down with some button mashing, the same with first boss fight(forgot its name). But the worst part is that this game is unfinished - lots of bugs, clunky interface, clunky movement, clunky combat, most annoying doors in any computer game i have played and quest tracking from hell. Not to mention loot picking. I loved first part but this game is far far away. Big step backwards. I've fooled myself that it would get better later on but i gave up at the end of act 2.
    Watching all the positive reviews I am really sorry that my favorite genre is going that way. Biggest disappointment of the year.
    I am really sorry that i wasted ANY money on this game.
  38. Aug 25, 2011
    The witcher 2 based on the quality of the witcher one this was an imidiate buy. Imagion my suprise then when the "RPG" they produced was one long hallway with nice decorations. instead of wandering a world making decisions on where to go you are railroaded down a couple branching paths. in some if you enjoyed the choice that the witcher 1 offered then this is going to drive you nuts. IThe witcher 2 based on the quality of the witcher one this was an imidiate buy. Imagion my suprise then when the "RPG" they produced was one long hallway with nice decorations. instead of wandering a world making decisions on where to go you are railroaded down a couple branching paths. in some if you enjoyed the choice that the witcher 1 offered then this is going to drive you nuts. I guess its not suprising that they have gone into god of war mode like bioware who also used to make good games. Expand
  39. Nov 29, 2014
    Any role-playing game that's heavily relying on action and fighting mythical creatures should be ashamed of itself when the design decisions were made that you could only take potions BEFORE entering fights, thereby effectively integrating the save function as a core of people's gameplay.

SHAME ON YOU, Witcher 2.
  40. May 22, 2011
    As a fan of the first Witcher game, I was very much looking forward to the Witcher 2. Unfortunately, the sequel is a huge letdown. It plays like a console port even though it is was (supposedly) designed for PC. Controls are clunky, inventory system is terrible, combat mechanics are just awful. The graphics are okay, but definitely not worth the hype they've been given. There is noAs a fan of the first Witcher game, I was very much looking forward to the Witcher 2. Unfortunately, the sequel is a huge letdown. It plays like a console port even though it is was (supposedly) designed for PC. Controls are clunky, inventory system is terrible, combat mechanics are just awful. The graphics are okay, but definitely not worth the hype they've been given. There is no tutorial system to speak of, so you're stumbling around for the first half an hour going "I have potions, but how do I drink them?" Oh, and you can't drink potions in combat any more. You have to meditate to drink potions. Considering how often Geralt gets ambushed and how often you head into combat against a new foe you aren't sure how to take out, that's a huge drawback and big mistake, I think. Witcher 2 also suffers from the same over-automation problem the Assassin's Creed series has -- e.g. I'm trying to fight some dude and suddenly Geralt's playing with the stupid torches or looting a sack instead of fighting. And the alchemy system -- [sigh] This was one of the things I loved about the first game. The intricacy of it. I had a whole set of hand written notes next to my computer containing alchemical recipes and the secondary properties of ingredients. The alchemy system in Witcher 2 has been significantly dumbed down, and while I may be in the minority, I find that very disappointing. Finally, while the whole collecting sexual conquest trading cards thing in the first game might be construed as misogynistic, the Witcher 2 takes it to a whole new level, giving us full-frontal female nudity that just plain unnecessary and distasteful. A word to the wise, game developers: gratuitous nudity does not make a game "mature" or "adult." In fact, it has the opposite effect. Expand
  41. May 30, 2011
    With the exception of visuals and voice acting, the game as it plays is utterly awful. And that's too bad because I enjoyed the first Witcher. This is not an RPG, it is a digitized movie with abominable "QTEs" (quick time events) made for the console generation of ADD brain-dead button mashers. "Combat" is a roll-fest and consists of trapping opponents on game geometry so you can singleWith the exception of visuals and voice acting, the game as it plays is utterly awful. And that's too bad because I enjoyed the first Witcher. This is not an RPG, it is a digitized movie with abominable "QTEs" (quick time events) made for the console generation of ADD brain-dead button mashers. "Combat" is a roll-fest and consists of trapping opponents on game geometry so you can single them out (sounds more like an AI exploit than the "deep battle tactics" most reviewers would have you believe.) The configuration application doesn't recognize the number pad, and keypresses randomly don't register (i.e., block). The inventory system is the most god-awful worst I've ever seen in a game, period. An awful, awful game that had potential. How did this garbage get through QA?!? Expand
  42. Nov 5, 2011
    Good graphics but very buggy game overall with poor support. Game was basically unplayable and my specs/system are well above min requirements. Have been able to play other games without difficulty but this one was junk. Wait for something with less bugs.
  43. Nov 13, 2011
    Being spoiled by open worlds from the Bethesda studio's this is disappointing. All though the story is great it really pissed me off that the story telling cuts in all the time and even lets you lose a fight which I was totally winning just to be able to tell the story. Also lets you fight fights with other characters of your party on occasion. The game player just has to follow. I knowBeing spoiled by open worlds from the Bethesda studio's this is disappointing. All though the story is great it really pissed me off that the story telling cuts in all the time and even lets you lose a fight which I was totally winning just to be able to tell the story. Also lets you fight fights with other characters of your party on occasion. The game player just has to follow. I know this is part of role playing but as I said I'm spoiled by the free open worlds in other games. But great graphics, fighting system and story! Expand
  44. May 24, 2011
    This was a huge disapointment.. I knew nothing of the Witcher before I friend told me it was great while speaking about Oblivion (Elders scroll). So I watched some preview I tried it out.. But really there's nothing special about it.. Even worse, the average everybody wont be able to run it on PC, I got a 8k $ comp brought 3 years ago, so still pretty good, I i'm still getting lag on lowThis was a huge disapointment.. I knew nothing of the Witcher before I friend told me it was great while speaking about Oblivion (Elders scroll). So I watched some preview I tried it out.. But really there's nothing special about it.. Even worse, the average everybody wont be able to run it on PC, I got a 8k $ comp brought 3 years ago, so still pretty good, I i'm still getting lag on low graphics.. Plus there are some ridiculous part in the game that'll just make you rage, like inbeatable bosses or run away in straight line from a dragon that'll kill you 50 times.. wtf ? Just wait for Skyrim people. Expand
  45. Apr 4, 2012
    "IAM" --- Interactive Movie --- This needs to be a new genre, because Witcher 2 is not an RPG. One of the player reviews here says the game went the same way as Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect.. and they're right. It's not really that fun to play, but looks gorgeous. The characters are impressive but the story has glaring holes and wouldn't get a passing grade in creative writing 101. I had"IAM" --- Interactive Movie --- This needs to be a new genre, because Witcher 2 is not an RPG. One of the player reviews here says the game went the same way as Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect.. and they're right. It's not really that fun to play, but looks gorgeous. The characters are impressive but the story has glaring holes and wouldn't get a passing grade in creative writing 101. I had high hopes for CDProjekt because they're oldschool gamers and run the great GOG.com website, but they've sold out. I can't blame them.. maybe I would do the same.. who doesn't like getting paid for what they do? It's just a damn shame that the victim of that crime is creative, challenging, deep RPGs. The consoles won - PC RPGs are dead. Expand
  46. Oct 18, 2011
    Were there were pretty graphics? Yes. Nice magical effects? Sure. But some things were lost in the sequel which I enjoyed and took for granted in The Witcher 1. First off, The Witcher 1 was a 100% adult game that involved drinking. In the Witcher 2, alcohol is removed almost entirely and is now a rare option in specific dialogue paths. Instead of buying beer from the bar wench youWere there were pretty graphics? Yes. Nice magical effects? Sure. But some things were lost in the sequel which I enjoyed and took for granted in The Witcher 1. First off, The Witcher 1 was a 100% adult game that involved drinking. In the Witcher 2, alcohol is removed almost entirely and is now a rare option in specific dialogue paths. Instead of buying beer from the bar wench you get the option to buy junk items like rotten apples. That's a bit unrealistic in my opinion. And now that I mention food- the food and drink option I had so much fun playing with in the Witcher 1 was completely scrapped in #2. You cannot consume food- only sell it as junk. This leaves natural regen healing as your primary option for healing (which happens much quicker in this game, yet you have a much smaller health pool in comparison to The Witcher 1). Your health pool is so very low in this game that you are practically encouraged to drink health potions constantly in order to survive. Now I have to comment on the alchemy system- it has some similarities but there are major differences. Health regen potions have different regen rates for in and out of combat and if you don't drink a healing potion prior to a battle, by default you do not heal at all while in battle. That I find quite strange, because part of the challenge in The Witcher 1 was finding a balance between combat and your remaining health. Often I would eat food, or use a Swallow potion while fighting monsters in #1, since you had a huge pool of hitpoints that regenerated so slowly. Your practically required supplements in order to progress in a timely manner. Now, In the Witcher 2, I just stand still for a couple minutes and I am fully healed. Geralt's health pool is quite low and you are forced to wait unless you just like dying on subsequent battles. Potion drinking requires a safe area to initiate meditation yet every battle including the difficult boss battles, you aren't even given a chance to meditate. This results in difficult battles with no health regen or potions- which becomes painfully apparent as you progress throughout the game and is unfortunately still present in major boss battles at the end. Playing dice, a fun-filled challenge which I enjoyed in The Witcher 1 is a painful affair now. The Witcher one had a simple design with easy to read numbers on the dice- No excessive shaking of the camera when you rolled, and your best hand was figured out for you by the A.I. In comparison, The Witcher 2 has this weird slanted view in which you roll the dice, and then switches to a top down view to inspect the dice. The slanted view is absolutely no help- you can't see a single detail of the dice including the numbers on them. In the top-down view you see the dice numbers but they are hard-to-read Roman Numerals and the lighting of the board is so horrible you can't help but squint in order to read the dice. Unfortunately the game does not outright tell you if you have a good hand like it does in The Witcher 1, so you really have to sit there for about 15-30 seconds just to read the dice and ascertain what hand you have. So in conclusion, while combat and whatnot have new fancy graphical interfaces, I was disappointed in some of the implementation. I miss having 20 bottles of beer on my character and getting slam drunk (in fact, I do believe this was a combat mechanic in the Witcher 1, specifically pain resistance via the Strength Line). And the drinking challenges were always fun... not to mention you received good rewards. One other thing that sort of turned me off about the game was the last level. I found it a little claustrophobic, and it tried to cram a lot of content into several separate, yet very confined game areas. Ultimately, I felt the design was a bit rushed towards the end. A lot of changes, a lot of design alterations, yet many of these changes do not increase game playability and in some ways make the game less fun. As is is- I think The Witcher 2 deserves a 6. If it would have implemented relatively easy to program mechanics (such as drinking games, fun uncomplicated dice games, easy to use potions, large health pool, a food and drink system, slowly regenerating constant health over time with no in and out of combat differences) then I would have given it a 9 or 10. I mean, how does one fight in this game with a low health pool that has no regen by default and no chance to drink potions in the midst of battle? If they feel so strongly about drinking potions in battle without meditating prior, then implement a 25% penalty for potions drank while in combat. It is not impossible to implement, all of tehse things I mention are implemented in The Witcher 1! Why did they remove so many fun-filled mechanics? It's a step back. Expand
  47. Jul 20, 2012
    The games improved a lot since my initial review (when Witcher 2's was completely broken). Now it stands as one of the best RPG's in recent years. A mature story with good game play mechanics.
  48. Sep 17, 2014
    Bland, repetitive game-play with poor controls, boring characters, and even worse compatibility.
    The World is very 2 Dimensional with puppet NPCs and lacks anything outside of an RPG stereotype.
    I can run damn near any game with all graphics settings on max with skype running, but if I try to run witcher on even mediocre settings - It's completely laggy. There are better things you

but if I try to run witcher on even mediocre settings - It's completely laggy.

There are better things you can spend your money on - Like any other RPG.
  49. Oct 12, 2011
    Unfortunately. I am comparing this to PC games and TW1 which in my opinion was vastly better. Requiring 2 9 gb patches within a 9 days of launch and still being flawed this is one awful example of what happens when a company designs for a console and this tries to fit a product coded for ancient hardware to state of the art PC. It was a nightmare which I couldnt bear. Another consoleUnfortunately. I am comparing this to PC games and TW1 which in my opinion was vastly better. Requiring 2 9 gb patches within a 9 days of launch and still being flawed this is one awful example of what happens when a company designs for a console and this tries to fit a product coded for ancient hardware to state of the art PC. It was a nightmare which I couldnt bear. Another console RPG/Action clone. Linear in the extreme and reliant on the (admittedly good) cut scenes for atmosphere and immersion. Personally, if I want to spend most of the time watching cut scenes, I will watch a movie. The linear gameplay made this feel like it would have been much happier droppng the human element and playing itself. I can understand this being a real blockbuster for the PC, lets be honest its so similar to Two worlds 2 and all the other lightweight RPG action clones for the console its pretty much interchangable. Expand
  50. May 21, 2011
    One of the worst games I have ever played. It only works on the low spec, despite having a really good computer, half of the tips are completely useless since they show up after you have performed the action and the overall game experience is really ****

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
  51. Jun 18, 2011
    Nice game, but boss fights are ridiculously OP vs the regular fights. And use some stupid mechanics so that it's really a fight vs the game engine more than a fight vs the boss. Frustrating in many places, lots of things require that you use a cheatsheet on the internet (ie obtain spoilers) just to get through the plot and progress the damn game. They managed to create some very good AI inNice game, but boss fights are ridiculously OP vs the regular fights. And use some stupid mechanics so that it's really a fight vs the game engine more than a fight vs the boss. Frustrating in many places, lots of things require that you use a cheatsheet on the internet (ie obtain spoilers) just to get through the plot and progress the damn game. They managed to create some very good AI in open world situations (people milling about etc - they actually seemed to have lives of their own) - the boss AI = not so good. Gave it a 6 as game itself is really cool, and did make me want to finish it (more out of determination not to let some piece of fool coding beat me more than anything else) but the frustrating elements means I would not recommend this game to anyone I know, least of all people who aren't familar with frustrating rpg mechanics. Even I hated it most of the time, so wouldn't want to pass the curse onto people I like. Tl;dr: Excellent exercise in world-building; do not let these people near boss fight AI coding again. Expand
  52. May 20, 2011
    Terrible and booring game.. i want my money back :( Optimize in this game is not good, typical port from console. Animations and controls is really bad.
  53. Jul 14, 2013
    The combat system in this game is absolutely terrible. Far to cumbersome with too many features. Absolute deal breaker with this game, I'm sorry I spent the £3.49 for it on steam. The Witcher 3 will have to be better than this poor design.
  54. May 18, 2011
    Looooooots o f bugs, game crashes to windows, DLC doesnt work. Wait till patch (a big one) before you buy this crappy game. Graphic's are good until game crashes, story is good, fight mechanic is totally arcade just clik fast and jump on left and right.
  55. May 17, 2011
    My, is this thing overrated! A good ole' RPG but nothing really new gameplay wise. Visuals hold their own but the story takes itself so damn seriously that it's impossible to enjoy the experience. Oh and it's one of those emo fantasy BS worlds where everything is so medieval England slash Russia it's no longer funny.
  56. Aug 14, 2011
    Im sure I would really enjoy this game, I am sure it must be fantastic. All I know however is that after downloading and trying to run, it does absolutely NOTHING. No error message, just doesnt load from the steam launcher. So this game gets a 0. As in its a waste, I cant play it. Ive looked for help on the forums, nothing, nothing works. Sorry guys, but cannot recommend. In fact IIm sure I would really enjoy this game, I am sure it must be fantastic. All I know however is that after downloading and trying to run, it does absolutely NOTHING. No error message, just doesnt load from the steam launcher. So this game gets a 0. As in its a waste, I cant play it. Ive looked for help on the forums, nothing, nothing works. Sorry guys, but cannot recommend. In fact I must suggest avoid, in case you waste your money like I did. Expand
  57. Jan 22, 2012
    I have put more time than I would like into trying to get the game to run. I have downloaded it twice now since buying it. The 2.1 patch supposedly broke the game for many steam users, and the only way to make the game go is a workaround that disables achievements and doesn't always work for everyone. There's no 2.2 patch to fix the game. As old as the issue is there is no official fix,I have put more time than I would like into trying to get the game to run. I have downloaded it twice now since buying it. The 2.1 patch supposedly broke the game for many steam users, and the only way to make the game go is a workaround that disables achievements and doesn't always work for everyone. There's no 2.2 patch to fix the game. As old as the issue is there is no official fix, and so I guess there is no plans for one either. All I can do is say that the game is unplayable and give it an awful rating. Expand
  58. May 17, 2011
    Poorly optimized, simplistic and straightforward combat, emo story and characters trying to convey something that is nothing at all. I mean really, no matter how good your hardware, sure you can run the game and it's playable, but the performance is simply not acceptable if you're a regular gamer and value your framerate and visual quality. Combat and RPG-wise it's barely anything morePoorly optimized, simplistic and straightforward combat, emo story and characters trying to convey something that is nothing at all. I mean really, no matter how good your hardware, sure you can run the game and it's playable, but the performance is simply not acceptable if you're a regular gamer and value your framerate and visual quality. Combat and RPG-wise it's barely anything more than Assassin's Creed, not deserving the "RPG" label at all. Clearly all the devs cared about was making a game with "wow" graphics and trying to make it mature (failing hard!) so that people would buy the game en masse. Let's hope it doesn't work because it certainly doesn't deserve it.

Avoid! There are far better RPGs coming this year, no need to waste money on this.
  59. May 22, 2015
    So far I'm about 5 hours into this game. First off graphics are great. This is not an RPG, this is a hack in slash, and is pretty much just linear game so far, and extremely boring. Gonna give The Witcher 3 a shot now, but I won't hold my breath. It seems 80% of the gaming community are at odds with what I call a good RPG but oh well.
  60. Sep 13, 2013
    A truly epic achievement in the RPG genre. Enjoyed every bit of it. mature, action pack and full of great dialogue. I would have given it a 10 if it weren't for the fact that it was a very very short game...:C
  61. Jan 15, 2012
    The timed dialogue is horrible, i like to relax while gaming and this makes me feel rushed. Make it a player option don't force crap like this on the gamer. I have to keep reloading my game due to it.
    The sneaking sections of the game are laughable, i just played the new deus ex which had amazing sneaking, then i play this and it has the horrible sneaking laugh worthy.
  62. Jun 12, 2014
    Bugs! Still there even in the latest fully patched edition from GOG.
    Bugs! Still there even in the latest fully patched edition from GOG.
    A very good looking and potentially very enjoyable experience which is turned into an exercise in tedium by significant bugs. Specifically, there are times in combat, apparently at random, when the keys do not respond. The combat system ought to be amazing - simple but tough to master. But just as you start to get used to it and you start thinking about tactics, and it's all looking interesting, your character stands there and does nothing while you hammer the keys. ARGH!
    And the crafting system which you start to enjoy and you make yourself a nice new sword and you forgive the game for its combat bug, and you finally win a big fight, and then your sword has disappeared! And it isn't part of the plot... it's another bug. Double ARGH!
    I realise that games such as this are massive undertakings, but bugs like this really spoil the potential enjoyment and turn what is meant to be entertainment into a dull exercise in repetition.
  63. May 12, 2015
    The Witcher 2 is one of the most memorable action RPGs in recent memory. The graphics and sound are great, and the gameplay is pretty good for an RPG. It plays best with a mouse and keyboard, in my opinion. You can tell it was developed for PC. But anyone who gives this over a 7 is delusional. The story is like a LARP. The game freezes and crashes almost regularly. Automatic saveThe Witcher 2 is one of the most memorable action RPGs in recent memory. The graphics and sound are great, and the gameplay is pretty good for an RPG. It plays best with a mouse and keyboard, in my opinion. You can tell it was developed for PC. But anyone who gives this over a 7 is delusional. The story is like a LARP. The game freezes and crashes almost regularly. Automatic save points are lacking. Should you play it? Yes. Expand
  64. Nov 20, 2011
    First of the game was overestimated due to lack of any other RPG till its release in this year. The story is moderate. The world is so enclosed and tiny (It takes 10 - 15 hours of playing to finish the main quest with some side ones). Graphics is amazing but the engine has no physics (it's for sure not Frostbite). There is little amount of gear and other stuff in this game. Fight withFirst of the game was overestimated due to lack of any other RPG till its release in this year. The story is moderate. The world is so enclosed and tiny (It takes 10 - 15 hours of playing to finish the main quest with some side ones). Graphics is amazing but the engine has no physics (it's for sure not Frostbite). There is little amount of gear and other stuff in this game. Fight with monsters is shovel, with no strategy (high difficulty). The game is not for real RPG fun.
    Any positives... ehm.. mentioned graphics, good dialogs and in some moments its really interesting. But is is no for sure for 10.
  65. Feb 5, 2013
    I need to mention this especially since a sale is going on right now.

You need 8 gigs of ready ram to run this, so if you just have 8 gigs of sticks ready in your computer, your not gonna be able to run this because other programs are gonna use it. Upgrade to 12 to make sure you can run this. I get a low framerate on a 5700 which is expected with a resolution of about 1280-720. There
    I need to mention this especially since a sale is going on right now.

Upgrade to 12 to make sure you can run this. I get a low framerate on a 5700 which is expected with a resolution of about 1280-720. There are not any graphics options that can tweak this so bear all this in mind.

I can run crysis 2 in direct x 11 with the official texture and tesselation packs on ultra with around 25-30 FPS witcher 2 is about 24ish.

As for the game, can't exactly play it but that's kind of a problem, gonna give it an 8 but take that with a grain of salt (I have to submit a review nonetheless to put out this message).
  66. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is decent but just not innovative the only way I could describe this game is a extremely bored porno artist was walking around in the streets and Projekt Red hired him to make a unbearable sex scenes and also for the combat its just one of your extremely boring diseny games the combat is good but just gets old real fast also if it were not for the would get zero!! Expand
  67. Nov 19, 2014
    Nice graphics,
    Nice graphics,
    As new player to the Witcher storyline, the story was just shoved in my face, way to much story in the start, it was not to my liking when getting to knowing the game and dying regularly on normal, the time the character takes to notice he's in from of objects(doors, ladders, or during combat targets) seems almost unbearable(only 1-3 sec, but a lot of ladders and thing to climb over). Ended up finding my self skipping the cut-scenes to get more game-play, and ended up quitting, since it was not a nice way to play the game.
  68. May 28, 2014
    I just don't get it, you guys, and I find it hard to believe that CD Projekt has 2,860 employees, so someone explain to me where all these 10s are coming from. After about 5 hours of playing this, I am straight up BORED. Gruff-voiced tough-guy anti-hero? Check. Big breasted female characters who serve primarily as window dressings? Check. Meandering, "complex" story that doesn'tI just don't get it, you guys, and I find it hard to believe that CD Projekt has 2,860 employees, so someone explain to me where all these 10s are coming from. After about 5 hours of playing this, I am straight up BORED. Gruff-voiced tough-guy anti-hero? Check. Big breasted female characters who serve primarily as window dressings? Check. Meandering, "complex" story that doesn't appear to be really going anywhere? Check. Amnesia trope? Check. Random narration with no real rhyme or reason? Check. Scripted/directed _everything_? Check.

The dialogue scenes are constant, boring, and only advance the plot centimeters at a time. In the brief interludes where I get to wander around a bit, the world is so closed off that I feel like I'm playing a rail shooter. The random snippets of combat that do take place ratchet up the excitement to the level that you'd expect from digging in a toolbox to find the right size wrench. And then there's the arm-wrestling mini-game and street fights determined by pressing the correct button when it flashes on the screen. YAAAWWWWN.

The best thing I can say about this game is that I got it for $3 on Steam. Also, the graphics and sound aren't terrible. I do like the comic-book interludes as a nice change of graphical pace. I really hate to give up on any title, so I'll probably give it another chance or two, but at this rate, I won't feel bad uninstalling it.

Mediocre at best.
  69. Sep 21, 2013
    I've been a gamer for 20 years now, since baldur's gate days i played every RPG out there, and this is one of the best RPG adventure game i played, i hope they make a witcher 3.
  70. May 1, 2015
    After playing through this game many times and viewing the game in its entirety, I realized how much
    CD Projekt Red has gone downhill as a game developer and it doesn't make me look forward to Witcher 3, AT ALL.
    I want to go on record, and say I am all for their GOG, DRM-Free business model regarding PC games, which is where I got my copy of Witcher 2 and all my PC games. 3D Vision

3D Vision Review: This is for those of us like me out there locked into Nvidia's 3D Vision solution, which I prefer to the idiotic notion of playing a game in what I call "photosphere mode" others want to call it virtual reality. I prefer 3D, where things have an amazing depth and actual realness to them, versus the "photosphere mode" being hyped up, because unlike 3D, is all hype compared to 3D, I want to experience the game with extreme 3D depth and smoothness at 120hz per eye, not play the game in a "photosphere mode". In fact, I can't wait for the true 240hz 3D monitors where we get to play the game in 3D with 120hz to each eye with some upgraded 3D glasses. Okay, rant over. This title is Nvidia 3D Vision Ready. My own personal experience with it is that it is great, there's a wonderful sense of 3D Depth at all times when playing in 3D mode, especially with depth and convergence settings set how I want. This is made better by the high quality audio the game has, the environmental sounds are good, the people sound like real people and the music is okay, I'm not a big fan of it, it's just okay to me but it is very high quality.

Gameplay/Story Review: It's a action RPG with a few major dialogue choices here and there, you can interact with everyone but only a few npcs serve a purpose, like merchants and major npcs. It's supposed to be a game world of making choices, but there's no way to go your own way, I personally didn't care for being forced to go Roche's path or Iorveth's path. You can customize Geralt's look somewhat, and there a few armor choices here and there. Not to mention you can't get rid of characters you don't like and change the story, you're forced (once again) to play by the games twisted rules of letting obviously evil characters go, in many cases. There are only a few instances in which you can get rid of the obviously evil characters. I would have preferred more freedom to change the story. It is comparable to a corridor shooter, in that there are very limited choices on where you can go and what you can do and you must go the way the game tells you to with an extremely limited degree of control, which is not what an RPG should be doing. Potions should be able to taken whenever you want, not just during meditation. To me the story is needlessly complicated. I would have preferred if it was more focused. The first glaring flaw that sticks out to me, is that somehow Geralt is being blamed for what happens to King Foltest at the beginning, because there were no witnesses, one simple question for that, is why don't I have the choice to wait for Roche, so Roche can go with me? or better yet, why not wait for Roche to bring along a few Blue Stripes? This comes up a lot, I can think of many situations in the game, where I think out loud, why can't I say no? It makes sense, but no, there is a scripted narrative I must follow, despite how little sense it makes to do so.

Basically, the entire game is scripted in advance, its like playing a modern take on the PC games of old, the point and click interactive movies with digitized or real scenes which also didn't give you much choices either. This game has multiple endings but so do some of those really old point and click games. The areas you get to explore are little more than just pretty scenery, sometimes there's some enemies or a new quest, but you are locked down to a grid. I expect I will feel the same way when I play Witcher 3, which won't happen until I can buy the fully patched game with all DLCs.

2 out of 5, for the great 3D Vision, sound, graphics and the Red Kit SDK. Everything else is just bad and brings the score down a lot.

I do appreciate them providing us with the Red Kit SDK along with this game.
    I hope they provide us with the updated SDK with the release of Witcher 3 and I hope Witcher 3 is a much better game, but like I said, I'm not buying it until I can buy it fully patched and with all of its DLC added in.
  71. Dec 11, 2012
    This game is truly beautiful on just about every level. Combat can be frustrating when multiple enemies take turns knocking you back but you always have a dozen toys at your disposal to wipe the floor with them. The story is hard to follow with all the name dropping and the fact it feels like it was pulled from the middle of a book instead of the beginning or end. It's also moreThis game is truly beautiful on just about every level. Combat can be frustrating when multiple enemies take turns knocking you back but you always have a dozen toys at your disposal to wipe the floor with them. The story is hard to follow with all the name dropping and the fact it feels like it was pulled from the middle of a book instead of the beginning or end. It's also more politically focused this time taking place on a grander scale compared to the Geralt-focused original. Graphics are a sight to see showing off the strength of the best PC power on the market. This is probably the most beautiful & detailed game available today. All in all this game is superior to the original (which is also amazing) on just about every level (I liked the old inventory, alchemy & combat systems better but they are small differences) and superior to most RPGs and games on the market. Expand
  72. Nov 1, 2012
    This is truly the best game I have ever played. I shouldn't have to say much for you to understand what I mean, really just read the other reviews. I love this game! Amazing story, characters, world + lore, graphics and more!
  73. Nov 13, 2012
    Very enjoyable sequel to a fantastic game! If you liked The Witcher, you'll love The Witcher 2. The combat is well paced and the story is brilliant wrote, the voice acting is good too.
  74. Dec 3, 2012
    The best game I played since Baldur's Gate 2. This is the only game ever made that comes this close to Baldur's Gate 2 in epicness. Everything is amazing; from storyline, choices, progression, characters, graphics, difficulty, economy... there is NOTHING bad about this game. I'd love to see an RPG where I can create my own character though. That'd be epic epicness. Great game!
  75. Dec 6, 2012
    Good game to play and complete,
    Cons in my opinions are:
    -Poor animations during dialogues
    -Boring combat gameplay
    -Storyline progression not than entertaining
    I'm looking forward the developers next game, Cyberpunk 2077.
  76. Dec 30, 2012
    The best game of 2011 (IMO) and also one of the greatest RPG's of all time, I fail to pinpoint some major flaw. Everything here is top notch: story, characters, graphics, gameplay, sound, you name it.
    The ONLY problem with the game is that it ends, leaving you wanting for more.
  77. Dec 27, 2012
    Realy very impressive RPG game, the only thing that makes me angry, is optimization, its not as good as it could be. But though thtas first game on that engine, i can deal with that
  78. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is worth 9 and get last points so that be 10 when him whores I really like naked girls and porn in games beacuse that make me play them more.
  79. Nov 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Played on PC. Loved all the great NPCs and storyline. Some minor issues like not being able to craft an armor from the Mist boss since chapter ended before I could do anything. I liked original Witcher a bit better, but the extra choices were a welcome addition for any gripes I had with minor things.

All-in-all the game ran very well for me, UI very good. Gerald is a regular bad-ass. W3 here I come.
  80. Apr 2, 2013
    Though I am still just halfway through the game, the need to rate this game was great. This is A great rpg one that I have been wanting since forever. The last rpg's that made me lock myself up were kotor and a few others. The witcher 2 is the first since those enjoyable titles who tempt me to neglect the real world haha. Nice to see singleplayer rpg's still hold up in this mmorpg day and age.
  81. Apr 3, 2013
    This is the best CRPG I played from a long time. First, the gameplay (fights, alchemy, magic) is quite good and fun. Second, the story and characterization is excellent. The graphics are stunning. Plus there are choices that matter, which is rare in a CRPG these days. Really good stuff.
  82. Jun 14, 2013
    Polish creators made something impossible. After a great game they made even better one. The Witcher 2 is absolutely the best game in the world. Much better than also brilliant first part but also quite different. Here we have much more skill fight, more intensive movement and dodge. Plot is awesome, gameplay is magical and everything here has a great magic in it. You will fall into thisPolish creators made something impossible. After a great game they made even better one. The Witcher 2 is absolutely the best game in the world. Much better than also brilliant first part but also quite different. Here we have much more skill fight, more intensive movement and dodge. Plot is awesome, gameplay is magical and everything here has a great magic in it. You will fall into this game for many hours and after the ending credits You will sit with Your mouth open. Expand
  83. Apr 25, 2013
    This is a wonderful game and can be found on Steam for 16 bucks. Pretty high PC standards for top quality graphics. The mature content is refreshing since this is a classic RPG. the only negative is unfamiliar with the world history or characters if you have not played original Witcher. The learning curve is pretty steep and it is a difficult game which not a bad thing. Later.
  84. May 3, 2013
    I played the EE of the game fully patched so I base my review on that. The game is great not much to say. Great story, great gameplay, great characters. Things I didn't like where the kinda small locations and to little side quests I think the first one was better in that aspect and I wish they didn't remove the collectible cards (you know what I mean).
  85. Jun 17, 2013
    Definitely not for everyone. The fighting is somewhat counter-intuitive and took a good hour to get the hang of, but now that I understand the mechanics of the fighting, I like it more than the usual left-click-fest dungeon crawlers out there. You actually need timing in this game. Spells actually make a difference but aren't so over-powered you can just sit back and play menus.

There

There are several context-sensitive menu options, such as meditating, which only appear when you're near a fire or talking to someone who can offer you shelter. Once you know this, it's fine, but the first time I was told to meditate I was pretty confused since I couldn't find a meditation option anywhere.

Once you get passed the initial learning curve, Witcher 2 is quite a lot of fun to play.
  86. Jun 16, 2013
    Horrible controls for a lazy console-to-PC port. Add to that NO XBox controller-on-PC support, a lazy, crap game with no potential. Many people like the "RPG aspects" of this game, but without competent controls it's another Dragon Age rehash with nothing new to offer.
  87. Jul 15, 2013
    I never got a chance to play the game as I couldn't bare the FOV and input lag issues. Probably a great game but seeing as there is no way to fix these problems and nobody cares then I will not see what I bought. I will never understand how a developer can spend so much time on creating a game world and then bottle-neck it through forced limiting options that are a massive affront to theI never got a chance to play the game as I couldn't bare the FOV and input lag issues. Probably a great game but seeing as there is no way to fix these problems and nobody cares then I will not see what I bought. I will never understand how a developer can spend so much time on creating a game world and then bottle-neck it through forced limiting options that are a massive affront to the user. The cursor trails behind the mouse getting ever farther away (maybe mouse acceleration?), either way it cannot be turned off. The camera is glue to the character's back with two portrait views of the environment past the his left and right arm.

If, like me, you cannot stand forced inappropriate fov and zoom and cannot function with mouse input lag, then do not buy this game. If, on the other hand, you think I'm an idiot then get it if you want.
  88. i0n
    Sep 4, 2013
    In itself this is a solid title, but for obvious reasons it's difficult to avoid comparisons with the first game of the series. While you could certainly argue with merit that some issues from the first game have been improved upon, I found the overall experience to be significantly less rewarding than the original. Simply doesn't have the depth of the original, and some of the gameplayIn itself this is a solid title, but for obvious reasons it's difficult to avoid comparisons with the first game of the series. While you could certainly argue with merit that some issues from the first game have been improved upon, I found the overall experience to be significantly less rewarding than the original. Simply doesn't have the depth of the original, and some of the gameplay mechanics have taken a turn for the worse rather than being an improvement. Playing a game should not be a chore. Expand
  89. Sep 7, 2013
    Okay, to start with, I played this game four times and still didn't get bored. And why's that? Probably because The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a damn great game. And here's why:

The storyline: complex, multi-threaded, non-linear, dark and really well-written. The story is a continuation of events which happened in the first part of The Witcher. There are several (more than one) main threads which will develop during gameplay and some side-threads which are actually fun to take part in. The story isn't too complicated, though. Even without reading books from “The Witcher” series and playing the first part of the game, we can quite easily understand what is going on around us.
    Graphics. Well, is there a need to say a lot about graphics in Witcher 2? I believe that most people will agree entirely the world in this game is gorgeous. There are many details, and the landscapes are so beautiful and so close-to-being-real that I could stare at them for hours. Every leaf on the tree above us and every blade of grass below us is purely visible.
    Alchemy. I really like how this game demand some tactical skills from a player. We cannot use potions in mid-fight or heal ourselves instantly. We have to foresee when the next battle will be, how many opponents we will be facing and plan our strategy beforehand. And the potions are definitely a part of the preparations before a fight. We have several potions and sword oils to chose from, everyone of them giving us a different temporary bonus, be it increased damage or faster regeneration.
    Combat. Fighting is also tactical in this game. But this means not only that we cannot throw ourselves in a dozen of monsters in the beginning of the game and hope that a miracle will happen and we'll survive. The Witcher 2 makes us use everything we have available: bombs, traps, signs (there are five of them, every one working in a different way, and every one which can make us win a fight if we use them properly) and swords of course. Sometimes player has to jump from one enemy to another or to run from an enemy to prevent him from making a final blow.

The are certainly flaws and some of them are rather annoying (like the pointing system during fights and people slamming the doors in front of out face) but they can be easily coped with and I didn't really care about them during my gameplays. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages so much, that the flaws can barely be seen and they fade when we see the gorgeous graphics and get lost in a dark, absorbing story.
  90. Sep 24, 2013
    Áreas grandes, muchos enemigos, unas cuantas escenas picantonas (por decirlo suavemente)... pero, por lo demás, aburrido, aburrido, aburrido. Empecé a jugarlo porque tenía entendido que se trataba de un rpg, pero... para nada. Es un juego de acción con unos cuantos toques de rol. Intenté llegar hasta el final, por ver si la cosa se animaba en algún momento, pero no fue así. Que yoÁreas grandes, muchos enemigos, unas cuantas escenas picantonas (por decirlo suavemente)... pero, por lo demás, aburrido, aburrido, aburrido. Empecé a jugarlo porque tenía entendido que se trataba de un rpg, pero... para nada. Es un juego de acción con unos cuantos toques de rol. Intenté llegar hasta el final, por ver si la cosa se animaba en algún momento, pero no fue así. Que yo recuerde, es el único juego que he abandonado cuando me faltaba menos de 1/2 hora para acabarlo. Y sin remordimientos. Expand
  91. Aug 5, 2015
    Too long conversation, too slow path, just like torture for my patience.

Too long conversation, too slow path, just like torture for my patience.

Too slow walking speed, there's neither fast travel nor speedy transport that I have to repeat walking through the same routes n times to get to check points. Feels like I was teased by the dev, but yes, dont forget to upgrade Feet work in Swordsmanship Tree ASAP, then dodging the whole map eases travel a bit only if your 'space' button is tough.

Scattered and interweaved plots cannot engage me into the story and usually make me feel confused and directionless.

The menu system is designed very poorly in almost every aspect. Too many to point out.
    For example, have to access alchemy, character and drinking portions via meditation. Extra layer that lows the speed of access.
    Items cannot be indexed, and are displayed only as list, making it difficult to have an overview and localization.
    When refining a specific portion, there is no way to know how many it I have had, Plus no way to skip the annoying drinking animation.
    Of course, the response of the whole menus is relatively lagging.

To get orientation in the game is frustrating.
    The mini map is almost useless that can only give a yellow arrow. My question is if terrain is so unclear on that mini map, why use it to fold a bit view instead of just giving us an arrow? Put it simple, the only way to make me directional is to press 'm', but for every several steps I have to press it....which is fatiguing.

Maybe 2/3 time is spent on menus operations, walking and conversation.
  92. Jan 15, 2014
    Terrible combat system, boring dialogues, exploration very limited, bad level design, mediocre music, bad inventory system, nice sound effects. The quality of the character models is mixed, in particular womens, the ones that counts, have no charisma and are predictable (like top models). Everything in the game is sub-par, except the graphics (nice models and textures, but boring anyway)Terrible combat system, boring dialogues, exploration very limited, bad level design, mediocre music, bad inventory system, nice sound effects. The quality of the character models is mixed, in particular womens, the ones that counts, have no charisma and are predictable (like top models). Everything in the game is sub-par, except the graphics (nice models and textures, but boring anyway) and the skill system that seems good enough. It's propably a game developed with a simpleton userbase in mind, even if some riddles are just a pain in the... The game is stressing in everything, combat system, game design, level design. It just put stress on the player. I would not recommend it to anyone except simpletons who need virtual sex, a darkish anti-hero, profanities and boobs. It's far far away from Skyrim or Mass Effect even if it tends to copy them in multiple ways (but with abysmal results). Expand
  93. Feb 24, 2014
    I had lot of fun with this game and I think it deserves to be played and loved. Excelent storytelling, graphics, etc. One of the best RPGs of our time. The biggest issue I have with it now, is that the original DVD does not work anymore. For some reason it keeps re-installing something and it is no longer possible to even launch the game. I think the system of pacthing is probably broken.I had lot of fun with this game and I think it deserves to be played and loved. Excelent storytelling, graphics, etc. One of the best RPGs of our time. The biggest issue I have with it now, is that the original DVD does not work anymore. For some reason it keeps re-installing something and it is no longer possible to even launch the game. I think the system of pacthing is probably broken. So even though the game is great, considering how much money I spent on it when it launched and the fact that the original DVD isn't playable anymore, I don't think it was that much of a good deal. Expand
  94. May 11, 2014
    This game has a very good story, amazing graphics and brilliant voiceovers/cast. What really lets it down so much is the combat system which i feel is completely broken. For a man who is renowned for his physical combat prowess, Geralt seems only capable of defending himself when rolling around on the floor. There are some people who say the difficulty of combat adds to the game and thatThis game has a very good story, amazing graphics and brilliant voiceovers/cast. What really lets it down so much is the combat system which i feel is completely broken. For a man who is renowned for his physical combat prowess, Geralt seems only capable of defending himself when rolling around on the floor. There are some people who say the difficulty of combat adds to the game and that it has a huge learning curve but all i have found is that rolling around again and again like sonic the hedgehog is the only way to defend yourself.

The Witcher 3 on the other hand looks amazing.
  95. Apr 29, 2014
    This series has always obeyed the 'more' philosophy. It's more in story, more in gameplay, more in graphics and that philosophy, unfortunately, is it's downfall. It does too much for it's own good and comes out boring & stodgy.
    ===========
    HOW I RATE: 10-9 score: perfect or near-perfect don't exist; 8 score: one of the best games ever. Top score; 7-6 score: great but not one of the best;
    ===========
  96. Jul 17, 2016
    I don't get the hype. You play as a freak who tries to clean up his name and prove that he is a good guy....but yet on your way to escape in order to proceed you have to kill dozens of guards who were just doing their job. The main story is too dark uninteresting and frustrating....and the game bombards you with tons of insignificant information and boring side quests making you lose trackI don't get the hype. You play as a freak who tries to clean up his name and prove that he is a good guy....but yet on your way to escape in order to proceed you have to kill dozens of guards who were just doing their job. The main story is too dark uninteresting and frustrating....and the game bombards you with tons of insignificant information and boring side quests making you lose track of what you are actually trying to accomplish. And this happened to me all the time wandering around without having a clue what I am doing.
    Inventory is frustrating you have a bad overview of your items gear and combat is just a click fest and some rolling to avoid incoming strikes. Language is difficult for non native speakers and you need to stop and search at wiki to understand whats really going on. Music and graphics are good perhaps too good for such an empty title. After ca. 2h uninstalled it.
  97. Jul 5, 2014
    Overrated game, looks good, and thats about it.
    really decent fighting, and overall exp. if youre looking for it, i suggest you to look elsewhere.
    i do believe youre going to be disappointed.
  98. Oct 8, 2015
    While not perfect, Witcher 2 is way ahead of most games ever made.

Pros - Interactive action adventure, many ways to play and your choices influence the story - Amazing soundtrack - Amazing graphics - Amazing characters - Great story. Cons - They listened to old school roleplayers who favors item hoarding over immersion, despite starting the game with the best steel and silver
    While not perfect, Witcher 2 is way ahead of most games ever made.

- Amazing soundtrack
    - Amazing graphics
    - Amazing characters
    - Great story.

Cons - They listened to old school roleplayers who favors item hoarding over immersion, despite starting the game with the best steel and silver swords ever made you will soon find yourself in a loop of upgrading them for a swords that do up to 400% more damage, This also means that the knights you encounter in the first prologue are much weaker than the bandits you will encounter in the first act.
    - Hard level simply means your enemies do more damage while you do less, uninspiring and usually makes you feel less of a bad ass by making combat longer and spamming quen sign.

Depends on you - Geralt, if you don't like him, you wont like the game.
    The combat, some people like it, some don't. It consist mostly of rolling around your enemies and mixing quick and strong attacks. While also throwing a few spells and bombs in the mix from time to time.
    You can craft, if that's your thing, I find it an immersion breaker that you take the time to craft and even needs to. You can also drink potions, but I recommend skipping that because you have to stop and mediate before the battle, they last for a very short time and are severely under powered compared to the first witcher.
  99. Jul 8, 2014
    Pros: Beautiful graphics, a great and extremely deep story with loads of profound and impacting choices and a solid combat system.

Cons: An odd compromise between linear and open world game play similar to the Fable series, the story is unfocused and confusing at times but comes together very nicely at the end, poorly implemented interface, map and quest markers leave you lost and confused at times.

Overall: Gorgeous RPG with a story far superior to anything Bethesda could ever conjure up, but there are times when you are painfully reminded that you are playing a game from an Indie publisher that had grander ambitions than what they were actually able to achieve.
  100. Nov 16, 2014
    This game contains too many dialogues, cinematic and readings that sometimes you do not know what you have to do until you read it again. Poor instruction of the game and gameplay. UI is confusing. Controls are poor. Combat is terrible, unless you like ROLLING and ROLLONG all the time.
    I do not recommend this game if you are not fun of RPG games and you don't care about the controls and combat.
  101. Mar 12, 2013
    I only recently started playing The Enhanced Edition, and I must say, The Witcher 2 is an RPG gem. Sure it has it's flaws, like a few performance issues here and there, the lack of a PROPER tutorial (yes, the EE has a prologue that SORT OF explains SOME of the games features, but even during that tutorial I sometimes found myself confused, having to consult Google to progress), beside thatI only recently started playing The Enhanced Edition, and I must say, The Witcher 2 is an RPG gem. Sure it has it's flaws, like a few performance issues here and there, the lack of a PROPER tutorial (yes, the EE has a prologue that SORT OF explains SOME of the games features, but even during that tutorial I sometimes found myself confused, having to consult Google to progress), beside that the game is really good, slightly harder than your average western RPG, but not impossible. If you're a fan of fantasy worlds with magical elves that live in the forest eating berries, goofy dwarves that make you laugh, and a merry atmosphere all around, then The Witcher 2 is about to give you a mature slap in the face with it's gritty world, filled with murderers, whores, and violence. Don't get me wrong, the adult content does not overshadow the fantasy setting, the world of The Witcher 2 is a magical, mysterious one, filled with dark secrets and fascinating characters. Now down to combat, combat in this game is a little more complicated than your average Fable or Elder Scrolls game, but it's also pretty fun, and doesn't take that long for you to get used to. Graphics? The graphics are superb, but I must warn you, consult a guide on it's graphics settings before starting the game to get the best performance/visual setup, as you may find your FPS dropping for unnecessary graphical settings that don't really add anything to the visuals. (set "texture memory size" from anywhere above medium if you have a graphics card with more than 1 gig of video memory, it'll give you a good FPS boost). Overall this game is well worth your money. Let's just hope CD Projekt puts more effort into a tutorial in The Witcher 3 Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)