8.5

1. Mar 11, 2012
    Game is amazing in prologue and first act. Later is... Eh... . But graphic is awesome. Animation is awesome. Story is good, you don`t a awesome soldier who must save the world. Universe is very good. This is a dark fantasy. The worst is only epilogue.
  2. Aug 17, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is an breathtaking game that offers an interesting story, well written characters and a visually beautiful world. The combat is also quite satisfying though the difficulty curve is a bit off. The game has quite a lot of content and depending on your choices you will have a completely different experience which will likely please any rpg-fan. You are however (obviously) forced to play as witcher Geralt and even though Geralt is an interesting character are you kind of locked into his thinking and cant really go outside the box regarding your choices. The witchers surrounding does however make up for it by good voice acting, interesting characters and so forth. It should be noted that the game is a bit rough around edges from time to time but it really is a quite a remarkable rpg and if you are willing to spend some time on the game and have an interest in rpgs you should definitely give it a shot. Expand
  3. Jul 5, 2012
    While the graphics are astounding, and the cut scenes are breathtaking, the actual game play is piss poor. When I actually have to plug in a controller on a computer to play a game correctly, something is dire wrong.
  4. Jul 27, 2012
    CD Projekt RED might just be one of the few devs that can save PC gaming. This game has everything a good game needs. Very fluid and satisfying combat, huge character development tree, extremely nice level design with amazing detail. And the story is is just amazing all the way through. This game can just amaze every gamer, RPG fan or not.
  5. Jul 15, 2012
    I truly loved the first Witcher. It was dark, adult, and presented a rich fantasy world full of memorable settings and interesting characters. The sequel also offers this but not nearly as much as the first. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings looks downright gorgeous. The greatest graphics I have ever seen in any modern game to date. The attention to the tiniest detail is also astounding. The gameplay is also fine. After a series of updates and patches the combat became much more balanced and enjoyable. The story and plot at first was really enjoyable and had numerous memorable moments. And the fact that there are two possible story paths to partake in doubles the amount of replay-ability. However, the ending left me purely disappointed. I felt the game had been building up to something great and was only let down with a lackluster conclusion. If one were to play this game and take advantage of both story paths then the play time would be around 70 hours. A good investment if you're a fan of the universe, the first game or video games in general even with the tagged on ending. Expand
  6. Aug 8, 2012
    I definitely loved playing this game, the story was very powerful, it had good animation, and you could pick many different outcomes through speech, that and the open world gameplay was great, definitely worth the purchase, my only complaint is that it ended right as I was hoping for more.
  7. Aug 9, 2012
    Una Joya de estilo Accion RPG que tiene que estar en su estanteria de Steam o de juegos si o si!! Te sumergiras en la atrapante historia de Geralt de Rivia, te enamoraras de el encanto de Triss Merigold y deleitaras una ambientación conmvinada con unos graficos de infarto.
  8. Mar 16, 2014
    One of the greatest games ever made, every thing about this game is excellent. The attention to detail that CD Projekt had during this project is obvious. It is one of the best looking games around, and the gameplay is surprisingly great (considering that sword-based combat games usually lack in that department), the story is fantastic and wonderfully voice acted. This is one of the best games ever made. 10/10! Expand
  9. Jan 4, 2013
    Story: 9 --- What makes the Witcher 2's story so interesting is it's multiple paths. I have played through the game six times and there are 16 endings. Each one is detectably different but there are really only four major endings. The story is well-written and interesting but not particularly unpredictable. --- Visuals: 10 --- This is a pretty game, a very pretty game and the visual splendor is most clearly emphasized when it matters - during the many cutscenes. --- Sound: 8: The music is great but very repetitive. The VO is fantastic in most cases though. What strikes me most is that when music is important it is there and when silence is more important than music, you will have it too. --- Combat: 8 --- The combat in the Witcher 2 beats its predecessor hands down. But it isn't perfect and shows it's clumsiness in certain parts of the game, especially when in confined spaces. --- Fun Factor: 8 --- This game is very fun to play game (fun enough to play through six times). The reason I give it an 8 instead of a 9 is because it is too short in the mouth and too long in the knee. That is at certain spots the side quests feel drawn-out and not that interesting. --- Overall: 9 --- Actually an 8.6 but I rounded up. With a great story, beautiful cinematic vibe and solid all-around playing experience, this game is well worth the $30. Expand
  10. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. played this game 4 times to challenge most of difficulties and to see all possible endings...can't wait to play the third chapter.
    the plot is intriguing since the very beginning of the game, all characters are well studied and created whit different own personalityes. the combat stile can be hard to understand at first but when learned give a lot of satisfaction, combining magic potions and swordskill. i appreciated the quest when i got drunk and i had to find all my armor again xD and loved all other quests where i could choose how to end them.
  11. Apr 23, 2013
    It's all about expectations. People hate DA2 because it's a Bioware game, and they love TW2 because it comes from an underdog developer. In fact, both games have significant flaws. Here are some of the qualms I'm having with TW2: 1. Game unexpectedly quits to desktop and needs a fairly arcane fix to work properly. I'm told this is pretty rare, but who cares? I've never had any trouble like this with any Bioware game. 2. Convincing story and depth of character? Please. In the prologue, the king literally fights in the front lines, which is completely implausible. No king would expose himself like that. 3. Very cumbersome loot system. Casting the medallion spell to show available loot adds nothing, it's just another annoying click, click, click, click... 4. Long loading times. No, it's not my hardware setup, believe you me. 5. The graphics aren't any better than DA2, say what you want. 6. Superfluous and offensive female-only nudity. If you want to be explicit, fine just show me some full frontal male nudity as well, to prevent me from thinking that you're some kind of sadist who fantasizes about big-breasted women in chains. Don't get me wrong, I think the game has many strengths the combat system rocks, imo, and the story is generally fairly engaging. It just doesn't deserve all the praise it's received, just as DA2 doesn't deserve all the scorn that's been heaped upon it. Collapse
  12. Jun 16, 2013
    I installed the game today, I played through the tutorial, the first two quests and I was disillusioned. So many flaws and problems, where shall I begin?

Firstly, the animations: they are choppy. Whether it is Geralt's switch between running and walking or the general animation quality of enemies and NPC's, one can easily see: the developers are not able to deliver quality animations.
    The animations create a feeling of "amateurs at work". Feel free to disagree, but I am used to seeing another level of quality. For example, Resident Evil 5 or Dark Souls, see for your self.

Secondly, the controls: they are counter-intuitive, and the way the controller is treated clearly exposes the lack of experience and care by the developer when it comes to AAA products. An AAA product has to be on a high level regarding accessibility. The controls are chunky, imprecise and lack required customisation.

Then, bad graphics, yes, you've read correctly: bad graphics. Why? One should measure the graphics of a game not only by their fidelity when they are powered by the most powerful but also most expensive hardware available, but also by their efficiency and their aesthetics. The result is clear: the graphics are below average. Pushing the graphics based on superior hardware is a nice way of luring in new players and supporting the hardware manufacturers, but it does not say anything about the beauty of your game. Turn down the graphics to playable levels on an average gaming computer and you will get the picture. Games like “Forza Motorsport” or “The Last of Us” demonstrate what good graphics mean: they are beautiful to look at, not because of hardware-hungry effects, but because of aesthetical and skilled design. “The Witcher 2” is below average in this department.

Next, cluttered inventory: another unintuitive segment of the game. Be it the layout, responsiveness of the menus or the presentation, everything screams: clutter, badly optimised.

Also, the story: I know that most of you will argue that this is a strong point of the game. And I may not be in the position to judge the story based on my experience, but from what I saw and heard, it was cringe worthy. Cliché and corny, nothing felt mature or advanced. Contrary, it felt as hilarious as a B-movie.

This leads me to my last point: Bad voice acting. This feature complements and underlines the impression of a hard to care about and hilarious story. Geralt is barely hear able as he grunts and mumbles along, and the rest of the cast does sound more or less like amateurs, there are some exceptions though.

Overall, I cannot fight the impression that the developer was overambitious. They probably do have the imagination, the spirit and the creativity, but they certainly lack the technical know how, the talent and the experience in order to produce a high quality game, which would pay justice to their vision.

Slightly above average game. Ambitious, but lacking in many aspects: some crucial.

13. Jan 9, 2014
    Overrated as **** The gameplay consists of running around towns and an averege combat system. The RPG elements are barely existant and don't really matter. The quests are boring and not anything special. But the thing people seem to like the most about the game is the story. And I find it to be a total piece of **** It has a nice setup, then for hours on end, nothing happens in the second act and little is added in terms of the story, which is a shame, sicne it's the longest act. The third act really tries hard to make a good twist and fails full frontal. Ooh, this character is bad? I DON'T CARE since I don't care about any of the characters except for Iorveth, who is the only person who gets any damn backstory and a some spotlight. And even when everything is unraveled and the mysteries revealed, it feels like the writers were just making **** up as they went on. So far, the only reason why I think people actually like it is because of its "mature" world. No, it is not mature. All it does is throws sex and curse words at you face! And politics! Like we play games to listen to politics! And since it is a fantasy world, you'd expect them to at least make the politics more interesting, but no! All they do is recite one point over and over again! And it's about equality of elves and humans and then nothign interesting along with it whatsoever! In Skyrim, for example you have the whole history of elven and imperial rivalry with the victory of Numidium, then the new Aldmeri dominion and the white gold concordate, but no interesting backstory is given! And if you haven't played the previous Witcher game, then get ready to read lots of Wiki lore, because the game couldn't be bothered to explain what the Wild Hunt is, even though it's one of the most essential plot elements of the game. Bottom line, it's not bad, but it is overrated. Is it worth playing? Only if you're a hardcore RPG fan, otherwise it's a straight no. Expand
  14. Feb 15, 2014
    Bought this game from steam because it was on sale for 3,99€ and i got to say i haven't been disappointed. At first the game felt quite complicated, but once i got the hang of it i really started enjoying it. I would definitely recommend this game for anyone who likes rpg games.
  15. Feb 24, 2014
    The Witcher 2 has a great story with decisions that really matter and that gives it a very high replay value, which is rare these days. The characters, music and surroundings are fantastic. There's a lot to do and discover. They also worked on the fighting mechanics and menus compared to the first game, which are still not perfect, but better (movements are too console-ish, no strafing etc.). The leveling/skill system has bonuses that can be aquired in many different ways and there's always something to do.

The graphics are also very good, but the engine seems to lack optimization and could perform better at times.
    Potions are pretty useless, because you can't drink them during battles and you can't always tell when a difficult fight is coming up. The boss fights are seriously tough compared to most other games, but once you get the hang of it it's all manageable.

Overall, The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs I've played and I'm very much looking forward to The Witcher 3.
  16. Feb 24, 2014
    The Witcher 2 is one of very few games I'd give a 10/10. It improves on its predecessor dramatically, while retaining what was good about it. Combat system is incredibly versatile. It's literally the only RPG I've played where I didn't just prefer and concentrate on one aspect of the combat (such as physical sword/shield or Magic). No, in this game I used regular sword combat, potions, bombs, traps, AND signs. Some battles were tough enough that you had to get creative and think beforehand, which is awesome and exactly how a strategic RPG should play out. I heard that some people complained about the steep learning curve. While I didn't personally have a problem with it playing on dark difficulty, that's perhaps because I was introduced to the series with The Witcher. I've played TW2 both with a m/k setup, and with a controller. As a rule for all but RTS games, I usually prefer a controller, but this game plays well either way. Graphics are gorgeous, though a few lighting elements are slightly annoying.

Where this game really shines is the mature story and character relationships/personas. Choices actually matter and have great impact (I mean, the game completely diverges for a third of the game based on one choice).

Overall, a fantastic game for anyone who loves story-driven RPGs.
  17. Apr 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm sorry but I must be missing something in playing this ,for I could never understand why someone would give this a 10/10? People are claiming it "redefined the rpg genre" bull.Skyrim redefined the genre ,this game is just so anticlimactic ,I read reviews for this game and decided yes,this seems a brilliant game,But no, its characters are NOT deep and complex,Geralt ,the main character is a monster slayer that seems to be kind of experienced despite being decorated by scars and sporting signs of aging and is there evidence that hes slain many monsters ? nope.,and another thing there is NO EMOTION WHATSOEVER IN THE FREAKING GAME I do not care for the characters ,and they don't care for each other ,Geralt is a monosyllabic shape-shifter,by that I mean he claims he is a monster slayer yet seems to know of curses,herbs despite claiming earlier "I'm no herbalist" and part time freaking detective! His love,triss merigold is so boring and contradictory also,she must pop a breast out every now and then just to keep viewers interested.contradictory because one minute she can't fight for sh*t and gets captured and claims magic takes it's toll on my body ,yet the next shes bustin out 2000 magic spells at once ,leveling enemies left and right.So the combat and the checkpoint system,both go hand in hand at sucking d*ck and not flowing WHAT SO EVER ,the checkpoint system decides not save periodically at a fighting sequence yet to save at the start (usually at the level start) and when you die like f*cking usual it will send you back to the start of the sequence.The combat,OK so it's not the worst I've ever seen but it could be a **** side better that's for sure ,Geralt locks on to one person despite 90% of the time you're fighting multiple enemies so that mechanic is f*cking useless with 3 out of 4 enemies bludgeoning you as you tap one guy with your completely underpowered weapon,Witcher's magical powers are also kind of useless as they claim to perform to a certain degree for example ,"Yrden is a magical trap the immobilizes foes" so the cg looks sweet and the graphics in general are good on the eye,but the magic itself ,Yrden SOMETIMES immobilizes foes,other times it says "nah f*ck it I won't do anything" and does nothing to the target.OK so other things... the game's story is good,but the things the characters say and do always left me saying why the hell is that happening,WTF is this happening ,like the characters may say "ZOMG PROTECT THE DRAGON SLAYER SHES SOOOO IMPORTANT !!!!!!111 and just thinking yeah..why? a golden owl ,flies over to protect you amidst a f*cking zombies Apocalypse caused by a guy ,prince stannis baratheon oh wait no stennis ,falls on to a rock,aaaaaand the the only explanation you get for why this curse is happening,then a golden owl begins destroying zombies with golden lightning bolts and no questions it,more things are wrong with this game ,loading minimal areas there's a f*cking loading screens for like 5 seconds! Skyrim can load it's ENTIRE WORLD in like 7! ,If you're not a main character chances are you're a brain dead npc who seems to shout abusive and retarded things randomly,And to finish this rant just a little point.Some npc's ,even before the murder of foltest seems to to distrust Geralt ,*gulps in air* WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HE HASN'T DONE SH*T FOR F*CKS SAKE AHHH THIS GAME IS SO F*CKING STUPID ON SO MANY LEVELS Expand
  18. Jun 26, 2014
    Look this is just a STUNNING game. I don't know why I didn't find it earlier. Its an amazing example of what an RPG can be. And it really puts the open world games like Skyrim in their place. Sure, its nice to be able to walk everywhere and do anything - but The Witcher 2, shows us what you are Missing. Amazing environments, and REAL storytelling.

Character Development, with a million
    different characters its one face fitting into many. You are Geralt - not only do you LOOK better, you have an amazing back story.

Gameplay - It takes some getting used to, but the slow down time quick keys etc, are awesome. Special take downs, magic. Just so good.

Story - Did I mention the storytelling? Its just so superior to a bunch of fetch and kill quests - of course they are in there, thats all RPG'ing IS afterall. But you really feel you are part of the Story. Some of the environments, like sieges and battles are awesome.

In short - Witcher 2, one of the best games I have ever played. After completion I Immediately wanted to do again. There are actual divergent storylines and quests.

Its HARD to play, Medium difficulty, I just can't kill some of the bosses. Takes real skill. Great game. (there is always easy :P)
  19. Apr 29, 2013
    Well I think there is not much to say after nearly two years after release. Only that The Witcher is still one of the best RPGs ever made. I preordered the game as soon as I saw it on gog.com And I finished the game fourth time yesterday (3x Roche's patch 1x Iorveth's path in total) on the new Dark difficulty.
    Although it should be hard it actually looked like a peace of cake. And all I
    have crafted were the Basphemer's and Oathbreaker's armors. I have not used special swords (did not like the effect associated with them). So if there is still someone who has not played the game yet and is considering to buy it, go for it. Just a little warning. You must use your brain and abilities in combat. Forget pressing a mouse button like crazy to kill an enemy (as seen in most games this time unfortunately). Expand
  20. Aug 26, 2013
    Good game, but I did not enjoy it as much as the first Witcher. They lost some of the things that made the first game unique when they made the sequel... and I'm not sure what it is. That being said, sequels rarely are better than the originals, and while this game, to me, is no exception to that rule, it comes pretty close and does a great job of continuing the story (loosely (I've read the books)). It's not bad at all, I just did not enjoy it as much.

Insane graphics when cranked, good story, your decisions in The Witcher make a difference, and great music. The bad includes still not being able to jump, too many long videos, and a complicated inventory.
  21. Apr 27, 2013
    No other game can compete with the Witcher 2 's narration. Perhaps a game like Uncharted has a cinematically superior method of presenting the story, but the Witcher 2 has the best story ever. The game is over 30 hours long. It stays in a chapter for a while, but doesn't overstay its welcome. The gameplay is phenomenal to say the least. The 3 different specializations (swordplay, magic, alchemy) totally change the approach you must take in combat, each of which are awesome to experience. Expand
  22. Apr 20, 2014
    A great RPG with a massive plot. Somehow the game style changed towards console games, which I don't like, for example the boss fight with quick time events.
  23. Jul 15, 2013
    While original release had a lot of issues (basically everything apart from graphics and story was bad), now after some patches and Enhanced Edition release, a lot of that was fixed. Also recently released Full Combat Rebalance 2 official mod fixed a lot of the "laggy" user input, especially combat fights are way more dynamic. I strongly recommend having the game patched up to EE and FCR2 installed for best gaming experience.

At this point the only reason this game does not score 10 are the QTE and cut scenes that are abused in way too many places, dumbing down the gameplay and making it feel like an interactive movie at times.

A solid 9 means that it's a great RPG at this point and there's no reason not to try it if you still haven't ($5 on Steam) before the third installment comes out.
  24. Sep 13, 2013
    A truly epic achievement in the RPG genre. Enjoyed every bit of it. mature, action pack and full of great dialogue. I would have given it a 10 if it weren't for the fact that it was a very very short game...:C
  25. Jan 15, 2012
    The timed dialogue is horrible, i like to relax while gaming and this makes me feel rushed. Make it a player option don't force crap like this on the gamer. I have to keep reloading my game due to it.
    The sneaking sections of the game are laughable, i just played the new deus ex which had amazing sneaking, then i play this and it has the horrible sneaking laugh worthy.
  26. Jun 12, 2014
    Bugs! Still there even in the latest fully patched edition from GOG.
    A very good looking and potentially very enjoyable experience which is turned into an exercise in tedium by significant bugs. Specifically, there are times in combat, apparently at random, when the keys do not respond. The combat system ought to be amazing - simple but tough to master. But just as you start to get used
    to it and you start thinking about tactics, and it's all looking interesting, your character stands there and does nothing while you hammer the keys. ARGH!
    And the crafting system which you start to enjoy and you make yourself a nice new sword and you forgive the game for its combat bug, and you finally win a big fight, and then your sword has disappeared! And it isn't part of the plot... it's another bug. Double ARGH!
    I realise that games such as this are massive undertakings, but bugs like this really spoil the potential enjoyment and turn what is meant to be entertainment into a dull exercise in repetition.
  27. Aug 20, 2013
    If you enjoyed the Witcher, you will love this. It's improved in almost every single way. You can carry your save over as well. All in all amazing game, I definitely recommend.
  28. Nov 6, 2013
    Dear CONSOLES, thank you very much once again for the ridiculous 50 degree field of view (FOV) i just love them box-views on my wide screen monitor. Dear Developers, a game that gives me headaches, and DOES NOT allow me to change FOV (tried the mod, tried the 3rd party Wide Screen program, research forums and tried to edit the .ini config files all unsuccessful) immediately gets into my unwanted list. Is it really that hard to allow users to choose whatever FOV they feel comfortable with (i play at 110 degree angle)? Expand
  29. Jul 14, 2014
    I had a great time playing The Witcher 2. The quality of this title exceeded my expectations. And while I can not recommend this game for younger players due to the mature content, I would definitely recommend it for older players, particularly if you are a fan of The original Conan comics, as I feel there are a lot of similarities in the way these works are played out. The game features Elves, Dwarves, and humans, along with plenty of monsters, and magic. The story is very complex, and the characters are all richly developed. Most importantly, there is a combat system that is both challenging, and entertaining. The voice work is top notch, and the graphics and music are triple A quality. I have to say that this game takes the crown as my favorite role playing game since the Mass Effect games. Expand
  30. Oct 25, 2013
    probably the best game i have played in years. everything is above par and this game literally made me think other game si used to like are garabage.....looking at u dragon age and
  31. oso
    Feb 17, 2013
    This is how modern RPGs should look like. It has reference graphics, a enjoyable story and great characters. Don't expect an open world though. You go straight from location to location but there are several decisions that have major effekt on the story. Gameplay mechanics are great once you mastered it.
  32. Xon
    Feb 6, 2013
    All hail the Witcher!
    Behold a game made by gamers for gamers. There is meticulous carre given to every inch of this game, the makers willing you on to have the time of your life. This game was made to be enjoyed and cherished. In every sense of the word a love letter to games. The company behind it not wasting time on finding new ways of milking people that already bought the game, but
    thinking of ways to give them more bang for their buck. Expand
  33. Mar 1, 2013
    Best story in an rpg that I've experienced in a looooong time. Combat is harder than other games but there are too many combat friendly rpgs nowadays. I like the challenge and feeling like a mortal, not being god like.
  34. Nov 20, 2011
    First of the game was overestimated due to lack of any other RPG till its release in this year. The story is moderate. The world is so enclosed and tiny (It takes 10 - 15 hours of playing to finish the main quest with some side ones). Graphics is amazing but the engine has no physics (it's for sure not Frostbite). There is little amount of gear and other stuff in this game. Fight with monsters is shovel, with no strategy (high difficulty). The game is not for real RPG fun.
    Any positives... ehm.. mentioned graphics, good dialogs and in some moments its really interesting. But is is no for sure for 10.
  35. Feb 5, 2013
    I need to mention this especially since a sale is going on right now.

You need 8 gigs of ready ram to run this, so if you just have 8 gigs of sticks ready in your computer, your not gonna be able to run this because other programs are gonna use it.

Upgrade to 12 to make sure you can run this. I get a low framerate on a 5700 which is expected with a resolution of about 1280-720. There
    are not any graphics options that can tweak this so bear all this in mind.

I can run crysis 2 in direct x 11 with the official texture and tesselation packs on ultra with around 25-30 FPS witcher 2 is about 24ish.

As for the game, can't exactly play it but that's kind of a problem, gonna give it an 8 but take that with a grain of salt (I have to submit a review nonetheless to put out this message).
  36. Jun 27, 2013
    Great graphics, a good story, and a highly mature, realistic appraisal of a fantasy universe. Combine this with mod support, responsive combat, and creative dungeon/landscape design, and you have a superb game.

The only downside is, ironically, related to the graphics. The Witcher 2 uses only DX9, rather than DX10 or DX11, and this means that it's virtually impossible to use Anisotropic
    Filtering on Parallaxed textures. In simpler terms, this means that some textures are blurry when viewed at an angle. Expand
  37. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is CDK Projekt Red's masterpiece, it truly deserves all the praise it has gotten, and I haven't found myself more immersed in the story of any other RPG. What The Witcher 2 completely nails is giving you the feeling that your character is extremely important, as here you will literally be deciding the fates of entire kingdoms, and it is interesting how a sense of scale exists without the game being truly open-world, and how your decisions as small as they seem can result in great or very grim consequences to you or somebody else. I love the story and the aspects that reinforce it, and the characters are great, Geralt himself is a complete badass and still has the charisma that a video game hero needs in a big story, and some interactions can be extremely amusing indeed. Moving on from the story, the graphics are incredible, it is one of the best looking games I have played to date, you don't even need them maxed out for the game to look amazing, and the lighting also does a great job. The sound is also great, the soundtrack is one of the best I have heard in a while, and I have no complaints about the sound effects themselves. The gameplay is interesting, given that it does have an extra layer of depth despite what is rather few combinations and possibilities when it comes to combat itself, I do wish for more variety, however I was content with what was presented. When you're not in combat you're in dialogue or possibly exploring a place. Quests and side quests are well balanced and interesting, they never feel like a drag and can lead to some interesting outcomes that only reinforce the story and setting. I do wish for better collision detection however, since I have encountered problems with that. And I also had a few problems with the difficulty curve at the beginning of the game, but that evened out later. Overall this is a must buy, this game is an experience you won't get anywhere else, I can guarantee that. Expand
  38. Apr 21, 2013
    This grade is mostly for the UI overhaul and removal of ISO camera. Anyone who gets motion sickness avoid this game, the 2 ISO cams from the original game are gone. You're going to get stuck with the annoying over the shoulder cam (even the widescreen mod isn't a massive improvement). They redid pretty much everything about the UI for this game, needed for the additions but more clunky than the original. Story is still solid, gameplay pretty much the same with some slightly more complex options added (traps/thrown weapons). The the cam isn't an issue and you liked the first no reason not to grab it. Expand
  39. May 31, 2014
    An EPIC journey !
    Gameplay, graphics and story all are on equal level of epicness.
    It's no shame to say that Witcher 2 is the GREATEST RPG game created so far. This is not a game, it is an epic adventure to live through. I am proud to be Polish because Polish people created the Witcher. Zero major flaws, great replay value (no kidding, middle of the game is entirely diffrent depending on
    your choices) FREE DLCs for everyone (take notes EA games!). The only flaws are very minor problems with some locations and quests, but these are kinda unavoidable because of the project scale and present in every big RPG that came out in recent years.
    The only flaw is the combat which looks a bit ridiculous at times, and the fact that the game's world isn't really that open.
    If you don't own it yet, you are seriously missing out on a great adventure.
  40. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is decent but just not innovative the only way I could describe this game is a extremely bored porno artist was walking around in the streets and Projekt Red hired him to make a unbearable sex scenes and also for the combat its just one of your extremely boring diseny games the combat is good but just gets old real fast also if it were not for the would get zero!! Expand
  41. Mar 7, 2013
    Never trust your initial reaction...some people just don't have any patience and tend to blow things off immediately for little to no reason at all. Back in the day, I blew the first Witcher off because the genre and the thematic didn't interest me. I said "oh no, fantasy games are for nerdy effeminate geeks" I had just heard about it on the internet, but never looked into it, or ever imagined I would be playing it. 2011 came up, The Witcher 2 came out. Back then, I was playing Modern Warfare 2 or Bad Company 2 and was never interested in role-playing games or the like. What I first heard about this game was the whole hype about the graphics about one month before it was released. Back then I was already the proud owner of my first computer I ever assembled myself, and it consisted of an AMD Phenom II x4 965 (now 4 years old), 8GB DDR3 RAM, and two ATI HD5770's (which have since been replaced by two AMD HD7770's). And I said why not, I'll give it a try. So I drove to Kmart and bought this game (Another reason I heard about it was because it was a gift to Obama form a Polish delegate, so that caught my attention too, because it was all over the news). I was eager to see the reason why the media was hyping this game so much. The game play was confusing at first, I was not used to that type of difficulty in a game ever, but that was my fault, it took some time to figure it all out. At first I tried to hack and slash, but that failed miserably. Gearalt kept dying on me in like two hits. I wanted to give up, but then I started to look things up on the internet (that's how I basically got through the game the first time). I discovered you had to combine the signs, sword fighting and potions to beat monsters and bosses. What I most enjoyed about this game is you can craft armor and swords, because not only do they help you in the game, it gives Geralt a very elegant and slick appearance. I like the art style in general, it is an improvement over the first Witcher (sadly I am playing the first Witcher now and it's 2013, I was obligated to go back and play it). I can say almost everything was an improvement from the first Witcher. In the Witcher 1, you constantly draw the wrong sword, like for example when fighting humans I accidentally draw the silver sword which is not effective against them, I have to sit there and wait until he draws the correct sword to be able to beat them. This is not a problem in The Witcher 2. Another improvement is the signs. In the Witcher 1, you get the signs through exploration and quests. If you miss a quest or a place where a sign stone is located, you can never get that sign. For example to get Igni, you have to explore a cave in the first chapter, but if you never do for whatever reason, you will never get igni. In the Witcher 2 you already have all the sighs by default. Quen is by far the most useful because it gives you impenetrable armor for 30 seconds. The story in the Witcher 1 is superb, however I beleive The witcher 2 surpases it. The facial expressions and body movements and character animation help get the point across very well (this is one reason the graphics help). Decision making is also an improvement, but it can be confusing at first. A couple of times I found myself reloading saves because I said, "oh no I didn't want to do that, I wanted to do this instead" or "oh no, I didn't like how that turned out." But then I discovered that was not a bad thing at all. Unlike the first Witcher, The Witcher 2 doesn't penalize you for decisions. In the Witcher 1, you can fail or miss whole quests by making other decisions. For example if you make Kalkstein mad, you can never finish the tower quest (reloading saves for the 10th time lol) you have to finish certain quests before you go on to others. Not in the Witcher 2. In the Witcher 1, If you never talk to Vaska in the swamp, then you cannot finish the tower quest, because she gives you a stone and also sends you to fight the golem, who has the other stone. You see, these kinds for things are easy for noobs like me to miss. I really hope the devs take note of this for The Witcher 3, because there are similar quests in The Witcher 2, for example the medallion quest Meliteles Heart. If you don't talk to the Crinfrid Reavers at the beginning, you will never get that quest. So overall this game was an honor to play. It is my all time favorite video game, and I showed my devotion to it by buying the XBOX360 version too. I bought a whole XBOX360 system just to buy this game again. Now that should be devotion lol Expand
  42. Aug 26, 2013
    A nice game nearly ruined by inconsistent difficulty and frustrating or unreliable mechanics. It has sadly contracted Xbox consolitis (on top of the first game's already mediocre controls). You may have to mash a button 5 times before it registers. Many quests and scripted sequences are convoluted and confusing, leading to excessive trial and error gameplay. Often I had to trawl forums and wikis for help. Combat is more difficult & realistic but some fights seem far too difficult, as if the difficulty setting randomly changes. At least TW1 was consistently too easy. But despite its flaws, this is an atmospheric game set in a detailed believable world, that continues the great story of Geralt of Rivia. Worth a look, but you may want to play on 'easy'. Expand
  43. Jun 27, 2013
    Excellent graphics, excellent gameplay, compelling story. It just hurts when you are a gamer with so many games and you can't put the time into a game that truly deserves it to fully comprehend and control.
  44. Oct 10, 2013
    A decent game with interesting gameplay; however not something that really sucked me in. Something about not being able to pick up an enchanted flaming sword and interesting new piece of armour that I could never get my head around, I'm a bit old fashioned that way.
  45. May 28, 2014
    I just don't get it, you guys, and I find it hard to believe that CD Projekt has 2,860 employees, so someone explain to me where all these 10s are coming from. After about 5 hours of playing this, I am straight up BORED. Gruff-voiced tough-guy anti-hero? Check. Big breasted female characters who serve primarily as window dressings? Check. Meandering, "complex" story that doesn't appear to be really going anywhere? Check. Amnesia trope? Check. Random narration with no real rhyme or reason? Check. Scripted/directed _everything_? Check.

The dialogue scenes are constant, boring, and only advance the plot centimeters at a time. In the brief interludes where I get to wander around a bit, the world is so closed off that I feel like I'm playing a rail shooter. The random snippets of combat that do take place ratchet up the excitement to the level that you'd expect from digging in a toolbox to find the right size wrench. And then there's the arm-wrestling mini-game and street fights determined by pressing the correct button when it flashes on the screen. YAAAWWWWN.

The best thing I can say about this game is that I got it for $3 on Steam. Also, the graphics and sound aren't terrible. I do like the comic-book interludes as a nice change of graphical pace. I really hate to give up on any title, so I'll probably give it another chance or two, but at this rate, I won't feel bad uninstalling it.

Mediocre at best.
  46. Sep 21, 2013
    I've been a gamer for 20 years now, since baldur's gate days i played every RPG out there, and this is one of the best RPG adventure game i played, i hope they make a witcher 3.
  47. Jun 10, 2013
    I was never into fantasy games but, this series caught me, I like the characters and all the background stories of them.

It's a beautiful game, but I cannot overlook the technical issues: you need to delete old saves or else it slows down loading times. It randomly crashes once in a while. I have to use JoyToKey to add inventory screen to the "back" button on the 360 pad. I need to
    force Anisotropic filtering trough driver, etc.

Also, the beginning is a bit too hard and might put off some players, while they shouldn't stop at the prologue, because this is a fantastic game despite it's flaws.
  48. Feb 22, 2013
    Witcher 2 is a brilliant game. It is very rare to play a fantasy/dark-fantasy game that has nice graphics, good writing and characters, and a mature and interesting story. I also like that the games world has European roots. Go play this if you want a great gaming experience, that is getting more and more rare nowadays.
  49. Feb 18, 2013
    To sum up this game as quickly as possible, it's up there with the greatest, most badass games ever. The story is immensely dark, gripping and sexy while the gameplay is superb and has everything you look for in an action-rpg. Now don't get me wrong, this game does not have the length of a total fantasy experience like Skyrim but it doesn't have to be as it gives you something else just as great. For what you pay for, you get pure gaming awesomeness for the best price imaginable. CD Projekt has once again delivered a masterpiece! Expand
  50. Jun 3, 2013
    The best game I have played in quites some time. I enjoyed the story and played both sides of the second chapter. The graphics are superb and the combat while difficult in the beginning was very fun. I also enjoyed the adult themes. The only knock is the abysmal inventory, other than that its a must play for all gamers.
  51. Feb 6, 2013
    BioWare, Bethesda and all other RPG devs take notice. This is how you do RPGs. The story is fantastically written, the combat is raw, intuitive and weighted, the characters are interesting and exciting, the world is by far the most beautiful I've ever encountered and... I could talk for weeks about the positives in this game because there simply are no negatives. It epitomises everything that games should be. A near perfect experience. Expand
  52. Dec 11, 2012
    This game is truly beautiful on just about every level. Combat can be frustrating when multiple enemies take turns knocking you back but you always have a dozen toys at your disposal to wipe the floor with them. The story is hard to follow with all the name dropping and the fact it feels like it was pulled from the middle of a book instead of the beginning or end. It's also more politically focused this time taking place on a grander scale compared to the Geralt-focused original. Graphics are a sight to see showing off the strength of the best PC power on the market. This is probably the most beautiful & detailed game available today. All in all this game is superior to the original (which is also amazing) on just about every level (I liked the old inventory, alchemy & combat systems better but they are small differences) and superior to most RPGs and games on the market. Expand
  53. Nov 1, 2012
    This is truly the best game I have ever played. I shouldn't have to say much for you to understand what I mean, really just read the other reviews. I love this game! Amazing story, characters, world + lore, graphics and more!
  54. Nov 13, 2012
    Very enjoyable sequel to a fantastic game! If you liked The Witcher, you'll love The Witcher 2. The combat is well paced and the story is brilliant wrote, the voice acting is good too.
  55. Dec 3, 2012
    The best game I played since Baldur's Gate 2. This is the only game ever made that comes this close to Baldur's Gate 2 in epicness. Everything is amazing; from storyline, choices, progression, characters, graphics, difficulty, economy... there is NOTHING bad about this game. I'd love to see an RPG where I can create my own character though. That'd be epic epicness. Great game!
  56. Jul 5, 2014
    This game was incredibly captivating that I had to close it and immediately obtain Witcher 1 and study the witcher lore before I dared approach it.

Then, when I did, I enjoyed every minute of it. Gameplay and dialogues, the darkness of the world, the books and the mysteries involved. This game sets precedent for the future of this genre.
  57. Mar 12, 2013
    I only recently started playing The Enhanced Edition, and I must say, The Witcher 2 is an RPG gem. Sure it has it's flaws, like a few performance issues here and there, the lack of a PROPER tutorial (yes, the EE has a prologue that SORT OF explains SOME of the games features, but even during that tutorial I sometimes found myself confused, having to consult Google to progress), beside that the game is really good, slightly harder than your average western RPG, but not impossible. If you're a fan of fantasy worlds with magical elves that live in the forest eating berries, goofy dwarves that make you laugh, and a merry atmosphere all around, then The Witcher 2 is about to give you a mature slap in the face with it's gritty world, filled with murderers, whores, and violence. Don't get me wrong, the adult content does not overshadow the fantasy setting, the world of The Witcher 2 is a magical, mysterious one, filled with dark secrets and fascinating characters. Now down to combat, combat in this game is a little more complicated than your average Fable or Elder Scrolls game, but it's also pretty fun, and doesn't take that long for you to get used to. Graphics? The graphics are superb, but I must warn you, consult a guide on it's graphics settings before starting the game to get the best performance/visual setup, as you may find your FPS dropping for unnecessary graphical settings that don't really add anything to the visuals. (set "texture memory size" from anywhere above medium if you have a graphics card with more than 1 gig of video memory, it'll give you a good FPS boost). Overall this game is well worth your money. Let's just hope CD Projekt puts more effort into a tutorial in The Witcher 3 Expand
  58. Mar 31, 2013
    There are often fanboy flame wars over whether Skyrim or Dark Souls is better. The majority of them have never played this game. Great Fluid combat that makes you think, an interesting and beautiful world to explore, and a smart interesting story that doesn't shy away from violence and sexuality. Truly one greatest RPG's I've ever played.
  59. Dec 6, 2012
    Good game to play and complete,
    Cons in my opinions are:
    -Poor animations during dialogues
    -Boring combat gameplay
    -Storyline progression not than entertaining
    I'm looking forward the developers next game, Cyberpunk 2077.
  60. Dec 21, 2013
    So, Witcher 2. A great game indeed. For me, it stands in one line with my favorite RPG games Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate,SW Knights of the Old Republic 1, Fallout, Arcanum. What makes this game so great it's adult fantasy world. It's cruel and beautiful, just like real world. There are dragons, elves and they get along well with slavic mythic creatures.
    Second, it's game plot and
    dialogs.And of course characters. They are interesting by themselves. Lutik(Dandelion), Zoltan,Iorveth,Roche they looks like real, with they own motivation and goals.
    And the last, but not least. The game is not black&white. Very often you must make decisions. And often you don't quite sure about them. Is it good or bad? Did you save people or doom them? Who is worse humans or mindless monsters?
    The truth is that you and only you can judge your actions. Game won't do it. No good & evil alignment. Make decisions. Face consequences.
    All these parts make the world in which I believe.
    The world, which story I am eager to hear.
    p.s. sorry for my poor english.
  61. Jun 20, 2013
    While the story and RPG element are to a big 10, the game is sadly filled with loads of frustration elements for people who dislike platform gameplay, there were not a single Boss event i did not find frustrating, and combined with long events and cutsceenes you had to go trough every time you failed an attempt made the game almost unplayable at certain places.

Put atop a ruined alcemy
    system where potions and oils are made to take before battle, but ends up running out before the battle starts because of long cutsceenes.

I forced myself trough the game for the story wich was awesome, but i can't help to feel the top of the joy were robbed from me due to the enormous amount of times you end up doing events and battles that made even the sweetest cutsceene totally frustrating and lame.

Even with mods that made the potions last 3 times longer i found the gameplay were a huge step back from the original witcher.

Was it a memorable game? Yes,
    Will i play it again? Not likeley.
  62. Jul 19, 2013
    Very pulpy fantasy-action game that won me over immediately. I believe it is, by quite a long way, the most beautiful game ever crafted for PC. Crysis 3 is more impressive on a technical level, but this game has so much heart and soul in the art design. It looks like every texture, model, crevasse, nook, and cranny of this game was painted and sculpted by hand! It is truly a sight to behold.

The story will keep you locked in for days on and and there is a huge amount of replay-ability considering the amount of choices the game allows you to make. Also, CD Projekt Red treats its players and the PC gaming community with respect and honesty. That's a tough combination to find these days.
  63. Dec 30, 2012
    The best game of 2011 (IMO) and also one of the greatest RPG's of all time, I fail to pinpoint some major flaw. Everything here is top notch: story, characters, graphics, gameplay, sound, you name it.
    The ONLY problem with the game is that it ends, leaving you wanting for more.
  64. Dec 27, 2012
    Realy very impressive RPG game, the only thing that makes me angry, is optimization, its not as good as it could be. But though thtas first game on that engine, i can deal with that
  65. Aug 19, 2014
    This is a MUST if you enjoy games with a solid story and incredible combat mechanics. Very few bugs compared to your usual RPG. Sound and graphics are top notch. Only game better than this is Fallout 3, which are unrealistic standards...
  66. Jan 4, 2013
    The Witcher 2 is a great game. The story is compelling memorable characters, great combat mechanics, great environments, and on top of all that your actions truly matters.
    CD Project Red (the company behind TW2 & TW1) truly cares for their customers, they continued to develop the game, and added an expansion, polished the game and all for free.
    I wish them the best in their future
    projects, cause they are the true light in the recent years, and i swore an oath to them. Expand
  67. Sep 16, 2013
    This is a very good RPG. My primary gripe with The Witcher 2 is that the decision to use one key/button for nearly every action means that the controls take on a muddy feel. Since the player uses the same key to swing their sword that they use to climb a stair or loot a corpse, there's an awkward delay between fighting and action that, over the course of a very long game, becomes a little frustrating. Otherwise, it's a great game with tons of replayability. Expand
  68. Feb 7, 2013
    Best RPG ever made love CD Projekt so much they take so much care about their games.Tell me witch studio gives you so much bonuses in box for standart price,they patch game so long after date of release,give you FREE DLC !!!,gives you extra electronic copy on gog.com,have bonuses in standart version and even thanks you that your bought copy of their game.About game W2 is so good,they have best storytelling,choices are so hard a was shocked about what i did,combat system is hard but challanging,missions are differend and always fun and the MUSIC.There is so much awsome about this game that i could write till the morning but i wanna to say this "Carry on CD Projekt,you are doing excelent job and i am lookin forward to Witcher 3 Expand
  69. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is worth 9 and get last points so that be 10 when him whores I really like naked girls and porn in games beacuse that make me play them more.
  70. Jun 30, 2013
    This is the best RPG i've ever played so far the graphics are so so amazing specially the forest parts and the story is just amazing with really difficult choices to make through out the game the combat was improved greatly i liked it better than the first part and there are so many characters that you'll love in this game let me put it simple this game easily nominated for the game of generation Expand
  71. Apr 2, 2013
    Though I am still just halfway through the game, the need to rate this game was great. This is A great rpg one that I have been wanting since forever. The last rpg's that made me lock myself up were kotor and a few others. The witcher 2 is the first since those enjoyable titles who tempt me to neglect the real world haha. Nice to see singleplayer rpg's still hold up in this mmorpg day and age.
  72. Mar 31, 2013
    Truly a memorable experience and will certainly set a standard almost impossible for it's RPG kin to live up to. The game has shed a lot of it's more complex character development mechanics but only to make a more fluid combat experience, and a storyline that is just as immersive the original The Witcher. You are Geralt, you are tenacious, you are driven, and you are gallant.
  73. Jun 13, 2014
    an awesome story driven RPG with great character development which makes us wanna love the characters. every action we take has a consequence. the gameplay is effective with and an enhanced difficulty which makes us want to prepare beforehand .the crafting system is also equally good and the visuals is mesmerizing .
  74. Jun 9, 2013
    its an alright game if you don't have the "enhanced" edition its pretty good. theirs allot of annoying glitch and you have to wait for "combat" mode to turn off. its quiet irritable for opening doors or collecting items. combat targing is dodgy, loading screens can be depressing and relase between swings to your doging can lag up alot and cause death.. other then all that plot graphics and characters were amazing Expand
  75. Apr 1, 2013
    Second part of saga. This one is more innovating, has better fighting and spellcasting system, has longer, nonlinear story and much greater amount od sidequests. World is larger. Graphics are just great.
    This is one of the best games in 2012
  76. Apr 3, 2013
    This is the best CRPG I played from a long time. First, the gameplay (fights, alchemy, magic) is quite good and fun. Second, the story and characterization is excellent. The graphics are stunning. Plus there are choices that matter, which is rare in a CRPG these days. Really good stuff.
  77. Jun 14, 2013
    Polish creators made something impossible. After a great game they made even better one. The Witcher 2 is absolutely the best game in the world. Much better than also brilliant first part but also quite different. Here we have much more skill fight, more intensive movement and dodge. Plot is awesome, gameplay is magical and everything here has a great magic in it. You will fall into this game for many hours and after the ending credits You will sit with Your mouth open. Expand
  78. May 3, 2013
    Only thing I dislike about the witcher 2 is how heavy (on my pc) this game is... But, everything else, from the RPG elements, to the combat (which is ok, without being either bad or great), immersive story and great characters, fits together nicely to create an amazing game... There is plenty of replayability too, with the whole act 2 being completely different based on your decision at the end of act 1... I can't really think of any other action RPG title that I have enjoyed as much as the Witcher 2... Expand
  79. Apr 25, 2013
    This is a wonderful game and can be found on Steam for 16 bucks. Pretty high PC standards for top quality graphics. The mature content is refreshing since this is a classic RPG. the only negative is unfamiliar with the world history or characters if you have not played original Witcher. The learning curve is pretty steep and it is a difficult game which not a bad thing. Later.
  80. Jan 11, 2014
    a must play. do yourself the favor now. if u like rpgs like elder scrolls or dragon age. or just love medieval fantasy, its a no brainer.

simply put, expect the quality to be of a bioware product b4 ea took over them.
  81. May 3, 2013
    I played the EE of the game fully patched so I base my review on that. The game is great not much to say. Great story, great gameplay, great characters. Things I didn't like where the kinda small locations and to little side quests I think the first one was better in that aspect and I wish they didn't remove the collectible cards (you know what I mean).
  82. Sep 14, 2013
    A great RPG, with mature non-linear story, interesting characters and stunning graphics and soundtrack.
    It's a must for every RPG fan that likes his games to have a good story, likes the grim fantasy world and likes his choices to make a difference.
    Witcher's issues are seriously minor, combat is more tactical than hack&slashy, and personally I had ever issue with the inventory system.

Overall, a very good game, that seriously kicks arse of other RPGs on the market.
    A newcomer to the series may be a bit lost but if what I wrote sounds interesting to you go ahead and buy it. And a disclaimer it's not a game for kids.
  83. Jan 24, 2014
    This is definitely the best RPG that currently exists. The story, the combat, the enviroment, the graphics and the characters are all perfect. I can't wait for The Witcher 3.
  84. May 14, 2013
    This is truly one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you are a fan of fantasy and adventure games you will definitely love this game. It is stuffed with adventures and great role playing aspects while the story is very catching as well.

Please do yourself a favor and learn the game. It might be a little tough to begin with but when you get used to the controls and the
    tactics you will not let this one go. And it look stunning too.. So what are you waiting for? Expand
  85. May 18, 2013
    -Amazing game.
    -Stunningly beautiful
    -Deep and detailed story line
    -Multiple endings (I think its 4 huge ending differences and something like 20+ course changes available to you slightly altering the outcomes)
    -ADULT Setting (you have no idea how much a old fart like me appreciates a Mature setting rather then the dull and Politically Correct settings of so many other fantasy titles.
    Not even talking about the nudity or swearing, just the over all atmosphere of setting)
    - A company that actually cares about its customer base (new update or addition comes out, you update for free, no nickle and diming you, like other so called AAA developers do
    - Part 2 of a 3 part series (part 3 comes out in late 2013 I believe and offers up a exploratory landmass triple the size of Skyrim)

I just cant say enough good about this title. I know some people may dismiss the 10 rating as overly generous but thats not how I rate. This title is a solid 9.5 but I went 10 because its closer to 10 then 9.

THE ONLY ISSUE I had with The Witcher 2 was the Kayran fight. It was clearly designed with console controls in mind and thus is very hard to master using a keyboard.

Beyond that 1 instance, Brilliant game by a Brilliant developer (who is currently working on The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077).

CDProjekt Red is one company I DONT mind being called a Fanboy for. Their work and professionalism and loyalty to their customers deserves no less IMO.

ONLY other company I ever felt so loyal to was the PRE EA buyout Bioware
  86. Jun 26, 2013
    Purchased this game because of a Steam sale the other week, do not regret it! I would have paid full price. It is certainly one of the best games I have ever played.

Story 9.5/10
    Game play 9.5/10
    Graphics 9.7/10

The only problem I had was a few bugs here and there, but they weren't game breaking. Over all I give this game a 9.5/10.
  87. May 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has an intriguing story and universe, a big strength for any game with in it. There are multiple side quests in the game as well so there are multiple hours of time that can be put into the game as for replay value or a single run. There are multiple branching paths that change how your story and in some ways gameplay goes. The characters are as very entertaining in their own way. The universe is grim dark in many aspects with their being no one good side to say the least or one evil side. the story itself is relatively well written as well, one of the better pieces of writing in video games to come out in the modern times. As a down side though the gameplay is a complex RPG, yes, however, since many games nowadays are too easy to complete this might be one of the games advantages as well. To also admit yes the gameplay at times does at times get boring so I have to play different games but gameplay is not one of the things I care for majorly yet I see it's importance. Overall a 8.5 a great game and a near must buy for anyone. Expand
  88. Jun 21, 2013
    Pretty epic game and improves upon The Witcher in several ways. The developers put a lot of time and effort into this game. Another AAA RPG that is best played on the PC
  89. Jul 2, 2013
    this game really deserves a 9.5 but it rounds up to a 10.
    cons: third act is short shops are overpriced
    pros: only 2 cons, great graphics, amazing story and characters, geralt is likeable, great combat, good difficulty so you actually have to think in combat, flotsam is the best town in a video game ive seen, the inn in flotsam has lots to do, colorful world, choices have a huge effect,
    mod kit, side quests are great enough to be part of the main game and have branching choices, will be able to import save to witcher 3, geralt is so awsome he can smoke without opening his mouth, satisfying ending, enhanced edition is free if you own the non enhanced edition. Expand
  90. Jun 17, 2013
    Definitely not for everyone. The fighting is somewhat counter-intuitive and took a good hour to get the hang of, but now that I understand the mechanics of the fighting, I like it more than the usual left-click-fest dungeon crawlers out there. You actually need timing in this game. Spells actually make a difference but aren't so over-powered you can just sit back and play menus.

There
    are several context-sensitive menu options, such as meditating, which only appear when you're near a fire or talking to someone who can offer you shelter. Once you know this, it's fine, but the first time I was told to meditate I was pretty confused since I couldn't find a meditation option anywhere.

Once you get passed the initial learning curve, Witcher 2 is quite a lot of fun to play.
  91. Jun 16, 2013
    Horrible controls for a lazy console-to-PC port. Add to that NO XBox controller-on-PC support, a lazy, crap game with no potential. Many people like the "RPG aspects" of this game, but without competent controls it's another Dragon Age rehash with nothing new to offer.
  92. Aug 9, 2013
    It is extremely refreshing to see an RPG game that wasn't created by Blizzard or Bethesda. I found Witcher 2's combat system frustrating at times and the inventory UI sucks on the same level as Dead Space 3's but the game's story more than makes up for the below average UI. This is what story driven RPG's should be all about. Classic, tried and tested gameplay mechanics can be criticized for lack of ingenuity, but that isn't what Witcher2 is all about. I cannot stress HOW IMMERSED I WAS WITH THE CHARACTERS while I was playing the game. For example, I doubt that I am the first and only gamer to have fallen in love with Triss Merigold and I doubt that I will be the last. To sweeten the story, Witcher2 makes references to pop culture themes such as game of Thrones, Monty Python/WC3 (tiss only a flesh wound quote), and Lord of the Rings. These subtle additions make the gameplay all the more enjoyable in a dark and well thought out plot. The only downside to playing this game is that I was reading game of thrones at the same time and the combination of the two stories has led me to believe that human nature is a dark, twisted, and bloody corridor filled with people trying to sell you their brother's kidneys.

TL;DR: some bugs but great story and great game.
  93. Jun 19, 2013
    I am very critical of games, and this being said, this is game is one of the few games i will ever give a 10. This game excels in every aspect. Great story, great graphics and amazing graphics. I would value this game at $60, but you only have to pay $20(!)
  94. Jun 28, 2013
    i have played the first witcher game and i loved it, but this game is beyond any RPG ive ever played. i even bought all the witcher books after playing this game, it was just brilliant. for me this game is an solid 10/10
  95. Jun 29, 2013
    I came into the 2nd WItcher without playing the first. If you are planning on doing the same, read a plot summary on the 1st or you will be lost. That said, I enjoyed Witcher 2 and will most likely re-visit the game on day.

The Good: The Characters are amazing. Whether it be a companion of yours or an enemy, each character makes you feel strongly towards them and it adds a lot of
    immersion. They will make you feel a connection to them and some parts of the game will make you emotional because of them. The story is the best part imo. It's very detailed and thorough, and keeps you playing for hours on end. The atmosphere and the graphics are incredible. I was in awe when I first stepped foot into the world and saw the detail that was put into the enviroment. At some points it had me stop and stare at my surroundings. The voice acting for the most part is very good, and the music is epic to say the least. I really liked the crafting and alchemy system, along with the inventory. There is tons of items to craft and potions a' many to make. The arena mode is something I enjoyed for a few hours, and was fun enough to be put in "The Good".

The Bad: I have to say it, the combat is boring. Play on anything above easy and it turns into a roll spree with heavy attacks in between. It just isn't fun. The addition of 5 unique powers spices it up at first but quickly becomes stale as well. The game is quite difficult at some parts, but at others instead of being difficult, it felt more unfair and tedious, causing you to resort to cheap and boring tactics to progress. It felt clunky at times and that gets annoying. The combat is really what brought the game down from a 10 to an 8 for me, as I really didn't enjoy it. If you're looking for a good combat experience, look elsewhere. Asides from that, the last 30 or so minutes of the game could have been a lot better. The final fights felt less significant then they should have and I think they could have been done better.

Things that could improve: Please CD Projekt, I beg you, make Witcher 3 OPEN WORLD. Although there are tidbits of open area to explore, it didn't feel genuine and still felt very linear. I know the game isnt't supposed to be open but I really hope they add more exploration in the next game.

After playing 30 hours of Witcher 2, I will most likely come back and play another play-through at some point. This game is more than worth your money. If you come into it expecting a game like The Elder Scrolls, you will be dissapointed. If you come into it knowing it's a linear RPG, you will be greatly satisfied.
  96. Jul 14, 2013
    Good graphics though I didn't like the art direction. Somewhat fun combat system for 10 minutes, passable story, a lot of backtracking for side quests. Good sound.

Some bugs remaining even after 2 years of patching, getting stuck in walls, game crashing, items disappearing etc.

Somewhat immersive environment, biggest complaint I had was the sex scenes (played too many games in that
    genre I guess), either ignore them fully or develop them more. Another thing was in a sneaking event you were instantly killed if discovered, while if discovered later you could fight your way out?

The choices did matter more than in most other games on the plus side.
  97. Jul 15, 2013
    I never got a chance to play the game as I couldn't bare the FOV and input lag issues. Probably a great game but seeing as there is no way to fix these problems and nobody cares then I will not see what I bought. I will never understand how a developer can spend so much time on creating a game world and then bottle-neck it through forced limiting options that are a massive affront to the user. The cursor trails behind the mouse getting ever farther away (maybe mouse acceleration?), either way it cannot be turned off. The camera is glue to the character's back with two portrait views of the environment past the his left and right arm.

If, like me, you cannot stand forced inappropriate fov and zoom and cannot function with mouse input lag, then do not buy this game. If, on the other hand, you think I'm an idiot then get it if you want.
  98. Jul 26, 2013
    "The Witcher 2" is an absolute masterpiece.
    Fighting here is difficult, various quests, and the world as a whole looks alive. The decisions taken really influence the story, which leads to a huge number of endings (17!). My opinion, "Role Play of the Year".
  99. Feb 17, 2014
    Great game cutscenes are enjoyable and an overall pleasant story make this game a must have! Combat is also likeable and the graphics are quite good and visually appealing.
  100. Aug 23, 2013
    I've played the Witcher game and still do(Great game, really like it). I saw this game on the shelf at a good price and decided to give it a try. Going from Witcher to Witcher 2 in my opinion was a disappointment. Game play is more clunky, seems like a lot more cut scenes, and I'm also not liking the graphics as much as the previous game. If you are thinking of starting the Witcher games go for the first one and forget about the second Witcher title. Expand
  101. Apr 23, 2013