The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings PC

8.5

1. May 18, 2011
    This game is one of the best games I've ever played. So far this year has not been released game RPG that can be better. Gives it 10/10 And this is GOTY 2011.
  2. May 18, 2011
    Graphics, dialogues (I'm playing with polish dubs), animations, the world - all of that is made of pure win, just as everyone says. So let me tell you what I did NOT like about the Witcher 2 so far (about 10hrs of gameplay).

Combat system is a huge downer for me, because even though there seems to be a decent sytem underneath, the super-fast pacing of the combat does not really give me any time to properly learn and utilize it. I am dying a LOT because of that (medium diff.) and combat often feels like a semi-random button smashing.
    Interfaces, while slick in design, are lacking in functionality - ability to compare equipment you are about to buy with stuff you have equipped at the moment is nonexistent, better recipes/plans sorting would be handy, but is absent as well, junk is only visible in "all" section of the inventory and you cant sell it all with one click, etc...
    Oh, and the HW requirements.. I was just fine with my GTS250 1GB until now >_< but W2 looks appropriately good, so... never mind that :)

Well, it will probably still manage to snatch best RPG of 2011 title, since Bioware does not even try these days (and their RPGs are basically just Kotor clones anyway), Skyrim will likely end up sterile and empty as any other TES game so far, Dark Souls..is a bit different kind of beast, and who knows when Risen 2 is going to be released.

I also have to say that so far, I liked the first Witcher more, mainly because it did not punish me for my slow reflexes all the time, just for my bad decisions. (Which is just fine and bioware (and western rpg makers in general) should learn to punish players for bad decisions, not just hand them everything on a silver platter.) Sure, Witcher 2 looks, sounds, is animated and voiced much better, but the first one is pretty decent in these areas too and nothing of that makes the core of RPG gameplay.
  3. May 18, 2011
    The new gold standard for RPG games, Witcher 2 is to the RPG genre as half life was to the FPS genre. The bar has just been set and the king throned.

Amazing graphics with cutting edge technology to push and punish the PC hardware that is rarely thought about by multiplatform games designed around consoles. An immersive dynamic world where time of day matters and isn't simply a gimmick

An immersive dynamic world where time of day matters and isn't simply a gimmick thrown in with reduced brightness. Cities are alive during the day with people doing what people would do instead of just standing around in place for hours like most other games. People interact with each other, go to work, and at night time hit up the pub and whore houses. Find yourself stumbling around in the dead of night down a dark alley and you'll probably run into bandits, drunks stumbling around, and increase monster presence in the wild.

Items, crafting, books, and more items; this game is rich with items. There are tons from different weapons such as halberds to junk items such as handcuffs. Crafting matters and you aren't limited to a single profession but rather you're able to use whatever you please. This means picking up herbs for potions and still being able to upgrade weapons even creating new armors. No restrictions allowing the player to enjoy and do what they please. If you enjoy item aspect of RPG games this game delivers 10 fold.

Engaging and skill based combat. Although Witcher 2 is more action oriented especially the combat that doesn't mean it's a simplistic bush masher where 50 clicks equates to a win. The combat is very tactical and requires timing to succeed. A lot of people find the combat to be difficult but once you've failed a couple of times and get the hang of its uniqueness it is very rewarding. Combat requires thought and planning so trying to play it like typical action based RPG's will result in failure. With 6 different magical abilities, 4 different skill trees, ranged weapons, items, and traps every battle is different and requires it's own solution.

Customization is very alive and well in Witcher 2. With 4 different progression trees that allow players drastically change what their character is an expert in every type of player can find their calling whether it's a something who relies heavily on magic abilities or a player whom decides creating strong potions to add in combat and the creating of powerful bombs the Witcher 2 has you covered. Although you can't customize your character's appearance via different hair, face options, or race the customization in this game via the skill trees and dialogue options like intimidate/influence is anything but frivolous and really adds to the game whereas different hair colors certainly doesn't. Story and re playability. Without spoiling anything and that's hard to do since there are so many choices that affect several other options, questions, and even the world you play in I'll just say it will require several entire play throughs to do it and see all Witcher 2 offers. Unlike other RPG games that pride themselves on "choice" and "consequences" which are clear cut good and bad scale the Witcher 2 is 500 shades of grey where whatever you choose it will probably end badly for someone. This is a dark mature low fantasy world where people are blunt and that rpg status quo doesn't apply. Forget the typical racial stereotypes and get ready for adult language and even nudity. CD Projekt Red decided to offer a truly unique experience for gamers tired of posh fancy elves, the knight in shining armor, and bad guys you couldn't ever relate to. I could never give a game a perfect 10 because there is always something the developer could have done better but in the case of Witcher 2 I'll give it a 10. I do this because of what the developer gives for the money. An actual game manual that is more than 3 pages of legal shenanigans, free game soundtrack, a game guide, and the option for your game to be entirely DRM free. It's the little things which are nonexistent now days for most developers unless you pay more but in the Witcher 2 you get standard which makes this game an excellent value. Did I mention FREE DLC and never having to pay for it? No release day paid DLC here folks. Enjoy your game you paid for it!
  4. May 18, 2011
    Are you kidding me? Did someone actually say, that developers of the Witcher 2 are from nineteenth century? This game is supposed to resemble a medieval setting with monsters and such. Try 7 centuries earlier. Mysoginistic? How about realistic? If you think today's world is a man's world, how do you think it looked like in the 1200s? Add monsters and magic into the mix, and basicly anyAre you kidding me? Did someone actually say, that developers of the Witcher 2 are from nineteenth century? This game is supposed to resemble a medieval setting with monsters and such. Try 7 centuries earlier. Mysoginistic? How about realistic? If you think today's world is a man's world, how do you think it looked like in the 1200s? Add monsters and magic into the mix, and basicly any women that have any say in what goes on in the world are witches, sorcereses, and noblewomen. And female monsters of any kind. :) That's it, and you, Bioware, dare bash the realism? And there are at least a few notable females in this game. In fact, if you'd read the book, there is a whole semi-secret organization of female-only mages, that is pulling the strings and deciding the fate of almost all northern kingdoms (more or less successfully, but I don't know if they are involved heavily in this game's plot though) And Bioware is bashing a truthful depiction of that time's society? Have they ever read a history book? Let alone watch the history channel? Yeah Bioware, it was totally believable to have a female captain of the guard, that is so tolerant and cool. You think combat is weak Bioware? The environment uninspiring? How do you call your rehashing dungeons, and "we'll do it for you" combat in DA2 then? You should be ashamed of what type of product you pushed to the shelves and applaud a better job done by CDProjekt RED. The world of the witcher is one I can believe in. And that's the type of fantasy, or sci-fi I, and many people, enjoy the most. Go and make another Origins, instead of feeling **** because someone produced a better cRPG than you did. I can't even believe Bioware would be so anal, as to attack a fellow game developer for creating a superior game. Concentrate on creating something better than DA2 yourselves, instead of trying to backstab a better product to artificially stay on top of the genre, by attacking it on review sites. Instead, make more games like the Witcher 2, adult storyline, non-linearity, deep combat, great visuals and music, deep alchemy, and character development systems...People, do not be deceived. If you've ever enjoyed a cRPG and if you enjoy a true, gray and bittersweet world instead of a lazy turd, that just bears a respected developers seal (yes, I'm talking about DA2 and Bioware again), than buy this game. It's brilliant, simply brilliant. It has it's flaws, like the AI at times (not always mind you, and we'll see about the patches, because unlike many developers, CDProjekt RED is actually supporting their games long after launch with tweaks and patches, and release their games DRM free) The negatives however pale in comparison to the positives. This game is an absolute delight. Just not for anyone below 18 years old. It's doesn't cater to everyone, but it's still an amazing achievement. Buy it. Expand
  5. May 18, 2011
    Visually stunning game even on low settings. I have only played past the prologue but already i can see how much choices you have, and how they have a difinite impact on the game. A seemingly insignificant choice early creates a cut scene and an opportunity later - one that you wouldn't expect. You can miss entire areas and not really know - it pays to explore!

One of the first rpgs

One of the first rpgs that i've really listened to all the conversations, made me laugh out loud. So far so good - high quality game. the combat is difficult, but satisfiying once you work out to use signs and potions effectively. With a bit of work you won't be touched in combat.
  6. May 19, 2011
    As we see, polish artist and developers are able to create work of art which is dazzling and interesting even experienced players. There is so many freshness, deep plot and not easy fight mode. But I think that every player should try to read books of Andrew Sapkowski or at least play in first part of The Witcher (because of understanding of plot). Thanks CD PROJEKT RED for this game.As we see, polish artist and developers are able to create work of art which is dazzling and interesting even experienced players. There is so many freshness, deep plot and not easy fight mode. But I think that every player should try to read books of Andrew Sapkowski or at least play in first part of The Witcher (because of understanding of plot). Thanks CD PROJEKT RED for this game. Congratulations. Expand
  7. Jun 5, 2011
    Witcher 2 was everything Dragon Age 2 tried but failed to be. It's a gritty, serious, mature sequel. There in lies a problem. It's hard to simply pick up and know exactly what is going on. The world of the witcher is a deep mythology. The combat can also be complex and difficult to manage if you're used to playing on consoles. However, the story is rich and choices are reflected in yourWitcher 2 was everything Dragon Age 2 tried but failed to be. It's a gritty, serious, mature sequel. There in lies a problem. It's hard to simply pick up and know exactly what is going on. The world of the witcher is a deep mythology. The combat can also be complex and difficult to manage if you're used to playing on consoles. However, the story is rich and choices are reflected in your actions. Further, the game rewards you for thoughtful consideration of how you progress your character with regard to how you play and for exploration of the world. Further, the graphics are impressive. It's the best RPG of the year and rivals Dragon Age: Origins. Expand
  8. May 23, 2011
    Excellent game, worth the money + they really pushed the boat out with basic hard copy extras! Well done guys keep it up! cant wait for the witcher 3. lol @ how well the boobs and vagina have been textured, obviously very well researched! On a side note, love how they have used the northern irish accent! good too see that we are rubbing off on the polish that come to live/visit here!
  9. May 24, 2011
    I am a bit disappointed with the second part of The Witcher Saga. It's still a great game but some things really piss me off. My biggest problem is the length of the game, its shorter than the first one but at least the authors got the balls to admit it (watch dev diary). My only hope lies in those free DLC's with extra side quests. The story tries to be as much enjoyable as the originalI am a bit disappointed with the second part of The Witcher Saga. It's still a great game but some things really piss me off. My biggest problem is the length of the game, its shorter than the first one but at least the authors got the balls to admit it (watch dev diary). My only hope lies in those free DLC's with extra side quests. The story tries to be as much enjoyable as the original books by Sapkowski but fails miserably in some points along the way. Anyone who read the books will admit that some dialogues feel clumsy and totally unnecessary. Bestiary is full of monsters but what about some regular animals that can be dangerous as well, no wolves, no bears no other predators. Even monsters are limited in variety. Again, there were much more types of monsters in the book, heck even the first game had them more. Some people bash the meditation system (drinking potions before the fight no potions in the actual battles) but that how it works folks read the books and you will know.
    Overall the game is good but I'm thinking about Extended Edition like with the first one. Improved inventory, better locking system, more balanced difficulty levels, smaller saves (16MB for a single save WTF??). Until then only 8.0 but a real strong one.
  10. May 24, 2011
    Quality game. Has it flaws, but idea and story is refreshing. The wither's 1 plot was a bit unconvincing, there were good dialogues, and characters but in sequel they developers made huge step towards greatness. For me the best of fantasy RPG since Planescape: Torment.

I give it 9, (although it deserves 9.5)
  11. May 24, 2011
    I can't say yet whether it's GOTY material but it is certainly one of the best games I've played this year. The graphics are beautiful and the characters were engaging. The combat is a bit challenging and the prologue can get a bit overwhelming for players not used to the Witcher world. The best part about the game is the re-playability factor because different choices you make will exposeI can't say yet whether it's GOTY material but it is certainly one of the best games I've played this year. The graphics are beautiful and the characters were engaging. The combat is a bit challenging and the prologue can get a bit overwhelming for players not used to the Witcher world. The best part about the game is the re-playability factor because different choices you make will expose you to a different environment altogether. I'm already about to start with my second play-through. The DRM-free and free DLCs of the game is also a big plus in my book! :) Expand
  12. May 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. awesome. great story, characters, funny dialogs and scenes, lots of different outcomes of dialogs, depending on what answer you choose. after 1st patch huge performance improvement. looking forward for next stories about Witcher, since the ending is obviously opened for future.... Expand
  13. May 28, 2011
    ALMOST GAME OF THE YEAR but MOST DEFINITELY(for now, until Skyrim and Deus Ex come out since they are possible contenders as well) BEST RPG this year and many more before it.

I'll apologize in advance to my constant debunking and referencing DA2 since it's a good game to compare TW2 with, at least in the sense that it succeeds in many aspects DA2 failed to deliver in. And I am putting it mildly since DA2 disappointed me more than any other game to date.

To be perfectly honest, I love rpgs, play them hell out of them.. from JRPGs like SMT, persona series, tales series to final fantasy. Betheseda's oblivion, fallout and all of Bioware's games.

Long story short, I LOVE rpgs and I've been in love with them since I was a child. I love complex mechanics, deep gameplay, challenges and character progression, and similarly I adore strong stories with plenty of momentum. And recently, with the recent trend in western rpgs, a large element of choice and moral ambiguity, with the repercussions that follow. And to be perfectly honest TW2 surpassed every expectation.

To be honest, when I first heard about it, I didn't give it much thought, DA2 was over the horizon and I was expecting it with bated breath following DAO, which was a strong(though flawed) successor to Baldur's Gate. Though, following the string(and a very long one at that) of disappointments with DA2, and the incredibly bad taste in my mouth after playing through it, I started to look hopefully towards TW2.

To start off with, the graphics are the BEST graphics you'll ever see in any rpg. Though true, most RPGs tend to have weak graphics to begin with, TW2 actually outshines many games with the high level textures, dynamic shadows, SSAO and a myriad of other lightning, rendering and processing effects that truly make the game shine.

Furthermore, the design of the areas and locations is very well done and you can see the amount of work done to make it that way. As you walk through forests, you can see lots of bushes, foliage and grass tucking in and out around the pathways or the trees in the distance with sordid detail. Unlike other RPGs like DA2, where the areas are dull, bland with flat terrains, without anything but dirt moss textures under them. The terrain and environment in TW2 features an attention to detail that is difficult to find in many games and this is one of the main reasons it can be very immersive.

Next up, the combat is fun and engaging, FAR from perfect though, mainly due to technical issues. The developers took inspiration from Demon's Souls, which means enemies hurt, with even meager enemies being able to destroy you if you get surrounded and they all attack at once. Unlike games like Assassin's Creed, enemies don't wait while you hack down their companions, they attack and don't mind interrupting you. This could get very frustrating combined with the poor targeting system and technical drawbacks

:for some users, there is input lag, which accompanies the performance issues, especially on ATI cards for the moment, then sometimes there is a delay between actions that hav random durations, implying that there may be problems with the combat engine. Though I haven't experienced either of these myself, it is worth noting.

Though moving past it, the combat is deeply satisfying with the hits really really feeling powerful(unlike in DA2, where on harder difficulties, you can thwack enemies with POWERFUL looking hits while taking out.. .1% of their lifebar?) while looking very majestic(think Assassin's Creed in a way). Also, the game provides many ways to tackle your foes. From using the magic to rain death on enemies, to swords, to blasting opponents to hell with an arsenal of bombs and traps as you fight a war of attrition against your foes.

The story is also well done, though it isn't brilliant. It'll be hard getting all the references, nods and such to the original game as well as some plot points. Though it plays its cards well, wherein you aren't a hero, just an apparently special Witcher that is trying to regain his memory and clear his name. The real shining point in this game however is the depth in the choices you make. Geralt is, for the most part, who you want him to be. And it's much deeper than Dragon Age 2, with some key decisions made in the first Act changing everything about how you'll trudge through the next few, changing allegiances, characters and entire quest lines. Also, the sidequests don't feel like boring fetch quests like DA2 with rehashed dungeons(4 times or more), they feel more significant(like a self contained story), with many being morally ambiguous, with some spanning more than one chapter. And there are also many ways to finish a quest, which is a refreshing change of pace.

Though I could elaborate more, I think it would suffice to say that TW2 is certainly one of the best RPGs out there and it's a real MUST buy
  14. May 28, 2011
    I recommend. If you have the option, play The Witcher 1 first (still an amazing game), and then buy The Witcher 2.
    Just know that this games are for serious gamers... You will have to learn the mechanics and read the texts and so on... Or you will get lost very fast.
    The reviewer from "the escapist" wrote: ...died so easily and so many times in the first seconds of the game that I began to wonder if I was just an idiot...
    He is just an idiot.
  15. May 29, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a great game. I wont be a fanboy and pretend it is perfect, because simply put, it isn't, but that doesn't change the fact it is one of the biggest and best games 2011 has to offer.

PROS: Combat - the combat is really diverse and just to survive on Normal Difficulty or harder, you WILL need to employ your alchemy and magic as well as your sword play tactics. Running in

PROS:

Combat - the combat is really diverse and just to survive on Normal Difficulty or harder, you WILL need to employ your alchemy and magic as well as your sword play tactics. Running in and just slashing the crap out of enemies doesn't work in this game because it forces you to be much smarter in how you approach to deal with enemies and scenarios.

Story - The story is fantastic and really draws you in. If you haven't played or beaten the first Witcher, rest assure that you will be able to get a basic sense of whats going on and so on and so forth. However, it does help knowing the back story since it makes events, characters and certain missions much more important and personal. The only people who will be truly at home with the story will be those who read the books, but this doesn't require you to do so.WORD OF WARNING: If you are interested in playing this game, then you should have already seen the M rating it has received, but for the few who are unaware, this is by far a very adult game. It has sex scenes [you are given options for partners depending how you deal with scenarios], bloody violence [decapitations and so forth], mature topics [such as incest, rape, murder], and harsh language. There are definitely elements which would offend some, but the reasons these are part of the game and story isn't for a so-called 'shock value' but a real and stoic representation of a mature world where good and evil are not so easily divided. Because of that, this game is great because its rare that adults get a good story but one that is not geared towards a younger generation [BTW the games that are geared for younger people aren't necessarily bad, it's just appropriate for those settings].

Gameplay - Fun but requires thinking [this game is literally more of a RPG compared to Dragon Age 1 and so on and so forth]. You make decisions that do seriously affect the outcome of where the second and third chapter could take place and from what I understand, there are 16 different endings based on your decisions. What makes this fantastic is that decisions aren't necessarily GOOD and EVIL, but gray areas in which you might have to pick the lesser of two evils or decide how to take advantage of a situation which would be bad for many but help you and your cause. This is a mature approach to a serious game and I give it heart felt approval for the developers going down that path.

Music/Sound - Fantastic. Has dark themes as well idyllic music that helps to really flesh out the world and nothing that's annoying or out of place.

CONS:

Story - The ending leaves a bit to be desired and mature themes will definitely be towards a more adult audience.

Combat - As fun and inventive the combat was, it will be difficult for a select few to approach. This game really emphasizes complete control and for some it can be frustrating when they keep on dying because they weren't fast enough for a dodge or other things.
    Sound/Graphics - While yes, the graphics and animations are SUPERB, you need to keep in mind that you need hardware to run this game. This is not Crysis 2 but then again that doesn't mean you need less powerful hardware. Make sure that you check thoroughly that you can run this game smoothly because I can see frame rate issues and other things seriously messing up combat.
    ALSO: While the world is beautiful and the clothes and people look lifelike and real, voice-speaking animations do hiccup a bit and lag every once in a while [but is more of a minor annoyance]. Don't forget that this game was made in Europe with the native tongue being recorded in some other language and while, yes they do English dubbs and so forth, the voice acting is great but then again, it doesn't do miracles at other parts. Still good all things considered.

Yes, this was a long review, but hopefully this gives ideas to those who are eying this game on the fence and are unsure whether or not it is for them. I personally LOVE this game and everything it has to offer. It is extremely re-playable and a fun world to traverse through but there will be a few people who may be turned off by its difficulty and how hard the combat and quests can become. But hey, that's why we have game guides right? ;) Must have for RPG/Fantasy lovers!
  16. Dec 12, 2011
    Visceral combat, gorgeous graphics, engrossing story. CD Projekt gives us the experience Bioware failed to deliver with DA2. I heard some disappointment about the conclusion of the story, but I don't share those sentiments. It could've been longer of course, but that can be said of any good thing.
  17. Jun 2, 2011
    It expands upon The Witcher in every possible way, and The Witcher was by far the best rpg of this generation. A true and spectacular sequel, a game that shouldn't be missed by anyone who calls himself a gamer. It's not flawless but it's also as close to the perfect rpg as it can be. Congratulations to CDProjekt Red
  18. Jun 2, 2011
    I could easily put it on my top5 rpg games of the decade... and I played them ALL. A game that brings the epicness of Baldur's Gate story telling along with astonishing graphics as a cherry on the top. Don't you dare not getting yourself a copy.
  19. May 30, 2011
    Definitely comparable to Dragon Age. This RPG offers a great amount of game play in a beautiful and gritty world. Up with one of my favorites! Bioware has competition.
  20. Jun 11, 2011
    The Witcher 2 represents a step forward in terms of visuals mitigated by more than a couple steps backward in terms of combat, user interface, and alchemy.

Visually, TW2 impresses, even on mid level machines. On high end hardware, the game is simply breath taking. Few games boast such a robust attention to detail. The game is highly GPU dependent as any PC game should be, and even on my outdated EVGA GTS 250, I was able to achieve a more than playable frame rate between 40 and 60 FPS on â
  21. May 30, 2011
    Trolls are still working! I have to, I just have to write what I think. Rating 1 - 4 can not be serious.
    I read game scores written by "gingerbill. He has not played this game! Or playing in something else. Rating 4? It's a farce! This opinion is the same crap! I do not understand these people. Combat is too simple? Ha .. ha .. ha ... Play the "difficult" "
    And there's very little
    And there's very little character development .. "Man, you do not know what you're talking Or not completely understand the game. This is not another game in the" dressing "a hero. Kid, grow up!

Now, seriously:
    Game is pretty much the best game I've played in about 5 years.
    This game is so god dam deep. Chapter 2 in itself becomes completely different if you side with the other person. Now that is what I call decision making.

Everything about this game is just amazing. The combat is deep yet intuitive once you get the hang of it. It may be difficult at times but its one of the reasons why its so good. The story so far is really good and filled with interesting characters, monsters, and locations. Even in the first chapter you can see how the story can branch off and change things.
    The atmosphere in this game is also great. Seeing enemies crawling down trees to attack you, or hearing a loud roar behind you and then seeing a bunch of humanoid monsters running at you. Its all really well done. I've even just spent time walking around the towns listening to conversations and people telling stories. I hope other developers take notes, because this is how an RPG should be made.
  22. May 30, 2011
    Great game! It is something more than the usual RPG.
    I recommend to all who are looking for unforgettable entertainment. Beautiful graphics, interesting story, exciting combat. Sometimes I forget that this is a game. :) Maybe too short. But ... has 16 endings.
    My rating 9.5 -10.
  23. May 31, 2011
    Despite some minor flaws and disappointing epilogue TW2 is a very good game. Challenging combat system, intriguing story, no black-and-white world, interesting characters, great dialogues, no-linear story, absolutely amazing animations and stunning graphics. That's more than enough to give it very good score. I read some reviews and it seems most people who are rating it low are too lazyDespite some minor flaws and disappointing epilogue TW2 is a very good game. Challenging combat system, intriguing story, no black-and-white world, interesting characters, great dialogues, no-linear story, absolutely amazing animations and stunning graphics. That's more than enough to give it very good score. I read some reviews and it seems most people who are rating it low are too lazy to read manual. Expand
  24. Jun 4, 2011
    Let's look at this game for what it is and try and dispel a few unworthy comparisons; firstly for the newcomers to the Witcher series, yes I think it does help if you've played the first one - one of the better decision based RPGs (where small decision mattered and could affect gameplay) and no, it didn't copy DA:O -- it was 2 years before, weâ
  25. Jun 3, 2011
    CD Projekt's work is, once again, amazing - and not simply just the game, their after-sale/release support and service is top notch, fixing issues quickly and giving customers an excellent gaming experience. The Witcher 2 is beautiful, not just visually but for once we have a game that doesn't feel the need to blatantly state EVERY SINGLE LITTLE PLOT DETAIL IN CAPS. This is perhaps mostCD Projekt's work is, once again, amazing - and not simply just the game, their after-sale/release support and service is top notch, fixing issues quickly and giving customers an excellent gaming experience. The Witcher 2 is beautiful, not just visually but for once we have a game that doesn't feel the need to blatantly state EVERY SINGLE LITTLE PLOT DETAIL IN CAPS. This is perhaps most prominent in the beginning; they let you piece what is going on bit by bit, without treating you like a moronic twelve year old. This truly is for a mature audience - and I love it. Expand
  26. Jun 20, 2011
    great game - story line really seemed meaningful (made you think b4 u decided and great story branches for replay value etc), you developed some great connections with the NPCs ingame, the graphics and overall atmosphere was pretty cool. Combat mechanics probably the weakest point - while good didn't quite hold its excitement towards the end of the game (cast quen - whack some bad guys -great game - story line really seemed meaningful (made you think b4 u decided and great story branches for replay value etc), you developed some great connections with the NPCs ingame, the graphics and overall atmosphere was pretty cool. Combat mechanics probably the weakest point - while good didn't quite hold its excitement towards the end of the game (cast quen - whack some bad guys - cast quen again - whack some more bad guys etc). Expand
  27. Jun 25, 2011
    I don't even know how long I have waited to play this game and I have not been disappointed. It's different to 1, and I still remember everything from 1 it was that epic. I have had to really play again, its the days of old where a game punished you for getting it wrong. I had to prove I can play to get further. The storyline is epic and minor issues I have are minor, the overallI don't even know how long I have waited to play this game and I have not been disappointed. It's different to 1, and I still remember everything from 1 it was that epic. I have had to really play again, its the days of old where a game punished you for getting it wrong. I had to prove I can play to get further. The storyline is epic and minor issues I have are minor, the overall experiance has been awesome just like witcher 1. Expand
  28. Jun 28, 2011
    Miles above from DA2 and the few other new released RPGs, this game is what i call a worthy RPG demigod. Storyline feels as solid as the first if better and the depth has been driven further in making sure that you feel that you are really playing every part possible in char development. I tried DA2 and got bored in like 5 hours, this one i have already filled up 20 hours, i am taking myMiles above from DA2 and the few other new released RPGs, this game is what i call a worthy RPG demigod. Storyline feels as solid as the first if better and the depth has been driven further in making sure that you feel that you are really playing every part possible in char development. I tried DA2 and got bored in like 5 hours, this one i have already filled up 20 hours, i am taking my time in working my way through this one. Money well spent. Expand
  29. Jul 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Strong hit from CD Project. Mature, gripping and cinematic story which you can immerse without being disturbed by any unexpected breaks. Great environment (of course if you have devastating PC), interesting characters and definitely huge replayability. Many skills, not so many items and equipment, but we can see progress compering to The Witcher. Yes, I know that fight might be annoying and difficult but usually only at the beginning - of course if you understand that this is RPG not an action game. Expand
  30. Aug 28, 2011
    Wow! That was the first thing I thought when I started my first play through of The Witcher 2. Going from the meh animations and graphics in The Witcher 1 to the breath taking graphics of The Witcher 2 instantly tipped me off to how great this game was going to be to play. I donâ
  31. Nov 21, 2011
    I wish DragonAge 2 had been more like this one. A compelling story, lots of content and areas to explore. The soundtrack I found to be wonderful. I'm really hoping we get some downloadable content for this game because I'd like to come back to it.
  32. Mar 20, 2012
    After playing The Witcher 1 and reading what few of the books that have been translated into English; I pretty much knew what to expect in this cRPG. A mostly pre-made character, tons of grey characters, sex, violence, and an extremely provocative story. I was not disappointed. Fans of Skyrim (pretty much everybody and their moms) might not like this game, as it does not give you nearlyAfter playing The Witcher 1 and reading what few of the books that have been translated into English; I pretty much knew what to expect in this cRPG. A mostly pre-made character, tons of grey characters, sex, violence, and an extremely provocative story. I was not disappointed. Fans of Skyrim (pretty much everybody and their moms) might not like this game, as it does not give you nearly the same freedom, but that's okay because the story, combat, and characters surpass Bethesda's "masterpiece" by a huge margin. The presentation here is astounding. To top it all off the graphics are incredible. The engine might not be as robust as DICE's Frostbite 2's, but the artwork and attention to detail are simply astounding.

The only drawbacks to this game are a frustratingly difficult first act, some odd translation issues with expressions and dialogue options that don't make sense, and a rushed ending. I'll elaborate on the ending. It is good and very satisfying, but the third act initially seems like it was supposed to be much longer, and the end comes rather abruptly. The Enhanced edition seems like it will address these issues, and it is coming out next month. I highly recommend this game if you are a fan of low magic, dark-ish fantasy, and great writing. If you would prefer a more traditional, blank-slate cRPG with much crappier writing, then play Skyrim.
  33. Feb 18, 2012
    The best graphics. Es un gran juego, tiene una historia adulta, y un juego como ninguno otro, te gustará mucho, pero sin duda, perdió la magia de su precuela.
  34. May 17, 2011
    CDPR once again return to the dark and seedy world of The Witcher. This time though they have dug deeper in to the machinations and politics of the world and presented a game that not only improves in every way over their impressive debut, but have created what is a true classic in the genre.

Every aspect of th game shines. Beautiful art design, impressive graphics, a moving and rich music score, well acted and exceptionally well written dialog. A plot that slowly unveils its secret all the while sucking you further in to a fantasy world reminiscent of LoTR and classic DnD only coloured by a brooding and adult pallet of sex, violence, racism, and no clear sense of right and wrong.

The Witcher 2 not only lives up to the reputation of its predecessor, but exceeds expectations of a loyal and devoted fan base.

Long live the new kings of the modern RPG. CD Projekt Red have created a masterpiece,. A challenging, rich and detailed game sure to please true RPG fans sick of watered down, and simplified games that have come to dominate the genre this generation.

An instant classic deserving of your money and time

9.5 out of 10
  35. May 20, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the first game. This one looks great, has enjoyable characters, and as another person said here - combat is dangerous. All the bad stuff I can think of so far is pretty minor: 1. The minigames are not well made, the controls are poorly done, which makes boring games even less fun. 2. It has that weird OCD trap of leaving loot lying around in every other crtate inI'm a big fan of the first game. This one looks great, has enjoyable characters, and as another person said here - combat is dangerous. All the bad stuff I can think of so far is pretty minor: 1. The minigames are not well made, the controls are poorly done, which makes boring games even less fun. 2. It has that weird OCD trap of leaving loot lying around in every other crtate in town, so you feel you HAVE to loot it, even it it means walking into a stranger's home, not speaking to them, and stuffing your pockets with loot from their bedroom while they watch. Even more ludicrous was stealing from crates while 2 npc's are actually doing inventory on them. It stretches the bounds are good storytelling. 3. Those pretty graphics everyone is talking about impede movement in abnormal ways, like not being able to run forward past a big blade of grass. Sucks in combat. 4. It needs some simple options in the PC version like INVERTING the Y-axis! Yes, I found out where to edit the user.ini, but I shouldn't have to. The camera controls are a little hard to like also. 5. I miss the timed combat moves from the previous game. Just saying. It's a good complicated game. There's depth here. I wouldn't go so far as to say it offers a lot of open role play though. You are re-learning skills you already had. OK, memory loss, it's been over done in stories, but makes sense here. It's not like Arkham Asylum, where Batman learns his own basics skills in a couple of hours. That made no sense and yet was incredibly fun. Expand
  36. May 17, 2011
    A real dark and Mature game with awesome graphics, fantastic locations, the characters are complex, and a perfect story with great inmersion, where u have many choices and the game acknowledged them, excellent dialogues and good VA, CD Projekt made this game with the fans on mind making the best cRPG that i have played in years, the free dlc are vey good, NOT a 10 because the combat is aA real dark and Mature game with awesome graphics, fantastic locations, the characters are complex, and a perfect story with great inmersion, where u have many choices and the game acknowledged them, excellent dialogues and good VA, CD Projekt made this game with the fans on mind making the best cRPG that i have played in years, the free dlc are vey good, NOT a 10 because the combat is a little clumsy in MY opinion but even that u will enjoy this game for many hours, I haven't finished this but a great game a sure nominated to GOTY. Expand
  37. May 17, 2011
    Que jogao!!!
    Fico triste a Bioware entrar so pra negativar o jogo sera que e inveja ?
    eu acho que sim.

To gostanto muito do game o jogo bom mesmo pode comprar mesmo.
  38. May 17, 2011
    This is one of the best RPGs in years, and puts a certain well-known company to shame. CD Projekt created a hit with The Witcher 1, but they've created a masterpiece with The Witcher 2.

Pros: Great voice acting Great script Choices you make are not always black and white, and can come back to bite you in the ass later Combat and inventory management are much improved over the original

Pros:
    Great voice acting
    Great script
    Combat and inventory management are much improved over the original
    Creative quests
    Incredible music
    Outstanding graphics, this is the Crysis of RPGs.

Cons-
    Occasional glitchy animations and pathfinding
  39. May 24, 2011
    this game pretend to be game of the year. why? it's not perfect, got some flaws. but i can count by fingers on my hand games, that have soul and will be remembered very long time. trust me Witcher saga will be. put those DA or Skyrims away with their boring gameplay, made for cash. real games created with passion are very rare today. it's in our hand to help small studios like CD Projektthis game pretend to be game of the year. why? it's not perfect, got some flaws. but i can count by fingers on my hand games, that have soul and will be remembered very long time. trust me Witcher saga will be. put those DA or Skyrims away with their boring gameplay, made for cash. real games created with passion are very rare today. it's in our hand to help small studios like CD Projekt with their awesome work in future.

and everybody now f*** Jim Sterling (from Destructoid) who gave 6/10 to this game. propably no balls or no skills or both. probs he took cash for it from someone.
  40. May 17, 2011
    The best game i have ever play. Best storyline, best music, best fighting system, best graphic... And more. I thought first Witcher was very good game, but Assassins of Kings are better in everything.
  41. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After Planescape: Torment this is absolutely masterpiece. About Dragon Age - it is a good game but... childish with large amount of blood. Now reading Sapkowski's book's about Witcher :)) Expand
  42. Mar 19, 2012
    This game is truly one of the best RPG's i have ever in my entire life played. The graphics are amazing, the story was magnificent and it truly is a great sequel to TW1. This game deserves all the praise it gets and more. I can't wait for another game from these developers they truly do know how to make a PC and RPG game.
  43. May 18, 2011
    I'm only giving this game a 10 to balance out all the trolls who try to impersonate "Bioware employees" and attempt to make the company look bad. Though I don't think the Witcher 2 is quite exactly deserving of a perfect score, it comes quite close. The new graphics engine, cinematic presentation, varied full-fleshed out gameplay, and dynamic story make the game one of the best RPG I'veI'm only giving this game a 10 to balance out all the trolls who try to impersonate "Bioware employees" and attempt to make the company look bad. Though I don't think the Witcher 2 is quite exactly deserving of a perfect score, it comes quite close. The new graphics engine, cinematic presentation, varied full-fleshed out gameplay, and dynamic story make the game one of the best RPG I've played in recent years. It's not only a big improvement from its predecessor, but also a game that pushes the frontiers and expectations of modern RPGs.
    However it does have a couple of minor flaws. First of all, the game can be quite difficult, even on the easiest levels. It challenges you play tactically and figure out how to take each enemy down without getting yourself killed, but sometimes you may be killed on multiple instances before you finally pass a combat sequence. Also, the introduction doesn't give much of a tutorial, so beginners may find the game initially a bit confusing. All in all though, the Witcher 2 is a superb game that pushes the genre in its own way.
  44. May 17, 2011
    One of the best rpgs this ever. Great graphics, non linear story and challenging combat. Characters are deep and interesting. The Witcher 1 was great, but TW2 seems to be even better. GOTY 2011
  45. May 17, 2011
    Even The Witcher 1 is better than any Dragon Age ever will be. And these guys actually know how to make a worthy sequel. CD Project: Assasins of Bioware
  46. May 18, 2011
    Can we at last put tot bed that games like Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Dragon Age are NOT real cRPG's! This game and it's predecessor, along with Skyrim later in the year, show that Bioware and others now release Action-Adventures and call them RPG's when they are not! Thank god for European publishers like CD Projekt, that still give us deep, mature PC cRPG's like the good old days!
  47. Jun 2, 2011
    Incredible game, sadly marred by some design issues. Don't get me wrong, besides a few little things, this game is a 10. No, not a 10 like critics hand out left right and middle. I mean a REAL 10/10. The story is fantastically good. I got pulled in within the first minute, and I'm not easy to pull in. The graphics are out of this world. The atmosphere, the world, the detail, it all shows aIncredible game, sadly marred by some design issues. Don't get me wrong, besides a few little things, this game is a 10. No, not a 10 like critics hand out left right and middle. I mean a REAL 10/10. The story is fantastically good. I got pulled in within the first minute, and I'm not easy to pull in. The graphics are out of this world. The atmosphere, the world, the detail, it all shows a staggering amount of care in its development. The voice acting, which some seem to think could be improved, is fully sufficient in my opinion. This is a game, not a movie.

Sadly there are a few things that are simply done wrong in this game. Quicktime events, which reek of console and taking the player for a 9-year-old, in an adult game, with nudity and STRONG language. And then there is the interface, like looting, which is fairly cumbersome, and finally, combat is clunky at times (and most of the time it is great). For these 3 blemishes on what is otherwise a TRUE MASTERPIECE, I remove 0.5/10 each, for a total of -1.5 on what would otherwise be a solid 10/10.

Overall it is a truly great game, one you will enjoy tremendously if you aren't extremely picky about controls and interface.
  48. May 30, 2011
    This is the best RPG I've played in a long time. With respect to game play mechanics, they fixed many aspects of combat that I didn't care for in W1, improved crafting, and made resting less of a chore. Where the Witcher 2 really stands out, however, is in the time taken to setup the story, introduce characters, and develop a connection to the player. Your character is faced with a numberThis is the best RPG I've played in a long time. With respect to game play mechanics, they fixed many aspects of combat that I didn't care for in W1, improved crafting, and made resting less of a chore. Where the Witcher 2 really stands out, however, is in the time taken to setup the story, introduce characters, and develop a connection to the player. Your character is faced with a number of interesting decisions which tend to entirely avoid what has become the traditional 'kick puppy / hug puppy' syndrome in many modern RPGs. Instead, the player is forced to make tough decisions, often without having all necessary information. As a result there were points throughout the game where I was genuinely conflicted about who to side with or which character to let live. This makes for a great gaming experience and leaves a lot of room for additional playthroughs. Finally, the graphics are great. The game shows that it is indeed possible to have excellent visuals while still providing a superb story and exciting game play. All in all definitely GOTY material and I hope its success helps to push certain other developers back toward producing quality games instead of focusing solely on quarterly profits. Expand
  49. May 17, 2011
    I am absolutely sickened by all the 0 scores. Utterly ridiculous. Even if you disliked this game and thought it had faults, you cannot score it a 0 and be taken seriously. Had you scored it 5 or 6 and then posted legitimate complaints..then yes. Otherwise, you are a fanboy of Bioware or something and wish to try to damage this game. You won't succeed. This game is incredible.I am absolutely sickened by all the 0 scores. Utterly ridiculous. Even if you disliked this game and thought it had faults, you cannot score it a 0 and be taken seriously. Had you scored it 5 or 6 and then posted legitimate complaints..then yes. Otherwise, you are a fanboy of Bioware or something and wish to try to damage this game. You won't succeed. This game is incredible. Incredible gameplay, graphics, story (so far), combat..everything. Much improved over TW1 and is the king of the hill right now, easily. Expand
  50. May 17, 2011
    Excellent game, certainly GOTY so far from me and I'm only a few hours in.

The graphics are a huge improvement over the original and it isn't as big of a drag in the beginning which is a huge plus.
  51. May 28, 2011
    Witcher 2 is easily the best cRPG since the great classics like Fallout 1/2 or Planescape:Torment. The game developed upon its predecessor and carried over all its merits and improved all its faults. The most obvious thing when you see the game is that it's absolutely beautiful. There may be games which have more technologically sophisticated rendering engines but I doubt they haveWitcher 2 is easily the best cRPG since the great classics like Fallout 1/2 or Planescape:Torment. The game developed upon its predecessor and carried over all its merits and improved all its faults. The most obvious thing when you see the game is that it's absolutely beautiful. There may be games which have more technologically sophisticated rendering engines but I doubt they have anywhere as good art direction. My only complaint is that the architecture was better in W1. Still, Witcher 2 looks gorgeous. The story is the central and most important feature of the game. And it's also one of the greatest stories ever told on a computer screen. The player has a wide degree of control over how it develops: your choices do matter. Unlike in most rpg games, the story actually branches, the choices aren't only flavour,where only the colour of your allies' uniforms depends on what you select. This is the most ambitious take on incorporating choice and consequence in the history of cRPGs. There are even locations that are only accessible in a specific branch of the story. I really hope that this becomes a new standard for RPGs.

The interaction with the gameworld is done really nicely. This is an Action RPG, so the combat is quite dynamic and, on "hard" difficulty it requires both manual and tactical skills. The game can be pretty hard and require some flexibility, which only adds to the satisfaction of beating a tough opponent. Aside from combat, most of the time you'll be talking to people. The dialogues are done Mass-Effect-style, where you only choose a short version of the dialogue. This is handled better than in ME with no insta-win blue/red option and the short versions actually do correspond with what the protagonist will say. However, the conversation animations aren't as good as in ME, which is a shame, since dialogue is much more important and meaningful in The Witcher. The dialogues are well-written and the characters are memorable. You will also play some mini-games: fist fighting, armwrestling and dice poker, which are done quite well. The quests in the game are really varied, with no real fed-ex quests, often offering surprising twists, multiple solutions and multiple outcomes. And these translate into the story taking you into different directions.

You will also be travelling a lot, but not as much as in TW1, thankfully. The gameworld lives and breathes and oozes atmoshpere. It's easily the best attempt at creating an illusion of a living society in an RPG.

Your character, Geralt of Rivia, a professional monster slayer, can develop in 3 ways: as a swordmaster, as an alchemist or as a magician. You will always a remain a witcher - a sword fighting mutant, but depending on which way you want to develop, the gameplay will be slightly different.

The game is not perfect: there are minor glitches and it may be difficult for casual players. But even so Witcher 2 stomps its contemporary competition into the ground. BioWare, Obsidian and Bethesda should all watch and learn, since this is a new quality for this genre.
  52. Jun 1, 2011
    Really a fantastic game. Once you get first chapter, and you've got the hang of the combat, the game is just as engaging as Mass Effect 2. As long as you have the PC to run it, buy this game.
  53. Mar 26, 2012
    Likely one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and I've played most of the major ones of the last decade (DAO, Oblivion, Skyrim, Deus Ex: HR). What's most remarkable is how your choices truly do have a major impact on the world: it's not a gimmick or half-gimmick like so many modern RPGs (which often give you the illusion of choice, then railroad your choices as you approach the ending). ItLikely one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and I've played most of the major ones of the last decade (DAO, Oblivion, Skyrim, Deus Ex: HR). What's most remarkable is how your choices truly do have a major impact on the world: it's not a gimmick or half-gimmick like so many modern RPGs (which often give you the illusion of choice, then railroad your choices as you approach the ending). It certainly should have scored higher than Dragon Age: Origins, that's a testament to the flaws of "expert" reviews. Expand
  54. Jun 20, 2011
    One word to describe it all epic .A little known developer has created a FANTASTIC RPG .Bioware should learn . Many are complaining about the difficulty but its not affecting me.The witcher 2 s graphics make dragon age 2 many generations old.Hats off to CD Projekt Red Studio.This really is a game of the year material.One complain though is that of the inventory and casting ofOne word to describe it all epic .A little known developer has created a FANTASTIC RPG .Bioware should learn . Many are complaining about the difficulty but its not affecting me.The witcher 2 s graphics make dragon age 2 many generations old.Hats off to CD Projekt Red Studio.This really is a game of the year material.One complain though is that of the inventory and casting of spells..While dragon age 2 was a letdown wheres witcher 2 steps into another gear.The atmosphere & environment is great.It makes you sit out and enjoy the environment.The trend is changing .Its not always about the big developers.Along with the price tag I Recommend it to all .Witcher 2 is really anti-bioware material.Bioware u listening Expand
  55. Jun 10, 2011
    The Witcher 2 truly is a great sequel to an already wonderful game, the combat finally makes sense and the story is exhilarating. Shame about about the ending though.
  56. Feb 13, 2012
    Superb game. Awesome unique world of Witcher: tough, brutal, racism, sexism, bloody true medieval for mature players.
    Gameplay is very addicitive but very easy to absorb in. You should think and find a way for a victory for the each enemy you would fight( humans, and monsters( for example ctulhu-kraken boss). Story is awesome. You always surrounded by your friends( Zoltan, Sexy Triss). Its one of the best storyline i ever played. And ofcourse its non-linear!

Graphic is tough too. Vert good art job, style and HD textures. Id like nake many screenshots that look like photos while i playing it!
    Summary - its good alternative for each mature player, whose remember old-schoo rpg but wanna new features( like graphic, battle system, and dialogue). Its not like Skyrim( not soo endless) and not like bioware( here in Witcher not copy paste location and characters. Its made with a soul, i thought) but the unique new way of rpg!
  57. May 18, 2012
    Let me start off by saying this game is not for everyone. If you want a lot of choice and open world exploration this may not be what you're looking for. This is also not an easy game to follow; I frequently felt lost in the story and kept mixing up all the places and characters etc and I've played The Witcher 1. Finally, the combat is not easy, and depending on which options you choose atLet me start off by saying this game is not for everyone. If you want a lot of choice and open world exploration this may not be what you're looking for. This is also not an easy game to follow; I frequently felt lost in the story and kept mixing up all the places and characters etc and I've played The Witcher 1. Finally, the combat is not easy, and depending on which options you choose at the start, you could be in for a baptism by fire.

If you can get past these issues, then you will find a gem of a game that shines bright in a genre of wannabes and pretenders. This game makes BioWare games look tame and pedestrian in comparison. Where BioWare toes the line with sex, racism, language, and other racy topics, The Witcher 2 breaks through all barriers. This game does not mince words and it will make the competition just seem bland when you see how raw and honest it feels. From the graphics, which are visceral and gorgeous to the dialogue to the atmosphere to the amazing music, the Witcher 2 nails it. This is the type of game that you play and then every other RPG seems less fun and you wonder how you ever withstood the dialogue and melodrama. it breaks the cookie-cutter molds of RPGs that you see released like Madden games.

In many ways it reminds me of Knights of the Old Republic; KOTOR was a game that brought Western RPGs back into the mainstream in an industry dominated by cutesy Japanese animes.

In summary, this game is different. For better or worse it tried to do something amazing and that will alienate some people but I loved it and heartily recommend it to any fan of the genre.
  58. May 18, 2011
    Combat: You feel vulnerable. Some people dislike that (generally people that enjoy super-streamlined games), but to me it adds not only a sense of skill and challenge but makes the world actually feel as dangerous as it should. You don't just slash through things, its both tactical and reflexive. Contrary to what people who clearly are very novice in combat have said, you don't have toCombat: You feel vulnerable. Some people dislike that (generally people that enjoy super-streamlined games), but to me it adds not only a sense of skill and challenge but makes the world actually feel as dangerous as it should. You don't just slash through things, its both tactical and reflexive. Contrary to what people who clearly are very novice in combat have said, you don't have to "run away", you dodge and circle, only retreating to reposition yourself when needed. It's undoubtedly more active and engaging than that of other typical rpgs like the elder scrolls series and dragon age.
    Character Development: More streamlined than some, less streamlined than others. However, there's no optimal build tedium and you get to play the style you want so there's little to complain about.
    Storyline: From a summarized synopsis the overall story is pretty typical and nothing new, however on the "micro" level (as you play through) the way it unfolds and the subplots that develop are at least pretty good if not very good.
    Overall: It's closer to open ended than linear and there's a ton of choice which affects gameplay far more than in any other rpg that comes to mind. Content wise, I'd say it's pretty stacked and can't think of a single area where it gets skimpy. All in all, in comparison to the generic, overly simplistic games that dominate the market now with cash being the primary concern of developers, this game is the best grab I've made in a very long time.
  59. Jun 12, 2011
    Pros:
    - Great battle system
    - A wide array of weapons, items, and armors to choose from; an improvement from The Witcher 1 - Great narration of the story - Powerful voice-acting and dialogues - Overall very deep immersion - Diverse and serious quests Cons - A bit too short. Add 10 more hours to this and it'll probably become one of the best RPG ever - Initial chapters were a bit
    Pros:
    - Great battle system
    - Great narration of the story
    - Powerful voice-acting and dialogues
    - Overall very deep immersion
    - Diverse and serious quests

Cons
    - Initial chapters were a bit too difficult
  60. Jun 2, 2011
    The first game in years to make my PC beg for mercy is also one of the finest examples of action Role Playing ever created. From the very start, The Witcher 2 just oozes atmosphere and finally brings back the true RPG experience from yesteryear. Yes, it can be challenging though not on simple 1 dimensional level , challenge comes in many forms not just from combat, you also are submittedThe first game in years to make my PC beg for mercy is also one of the finest examples of action Role Playing ever created. From the very start, The Witcher 2 just oozes atmosphere and finally brings back the true RPG experience from yesteryear. Yes, it can be challenging though not on simple 1 dimensional level , challenge comes in many forms not just from combat, you also are submitted to difficult choices and then experience the aftermath of your actions.

Don't expect any hand Holding - This is not an interactive movie disguised as an RPG.

Ever notice why some of these low ranking reviews only contain press release screenshots? Me too.....

61. Oct 7, 2011
    In short, one the greatest RPG's of all time. Terrifically immersing world and story, believable and original characters, a staggering number of choices and consequences, and challenging gameplay to boot. A must play for fans of the Fanatasy RPG genre.
  62. May 18, 2011
    Amazing game. Finally an rpg that makes you "WOW" every minute, be it when you go to a new area, explore a cave, fight a powerful foe or romance with your partner. This game is easily the new standard in rpg's, nothing comes remotely close to it. The only cons are the QTE's, the finishing moves and some disappointing UI inventory limitations.
  63. May 29, 2011
    The Witcher 2 might just be the best fantasy game I've ever played. The graphics and presentation in general, from the voice acting to the soundtrack are all top notch, and the questing is greatly improved over the first game and far better than many other fantasy games that make up for a lack of imagination with lots of repetition (Dragon Age 2 in particular). The combat is also far moreThe Witcher 2 might just be the best fantasy game I've ever played. The graphics and presentation in general, from the voice acting to the soundtrack are all top notch, and the questing is greatly improved over the first game and far better than many other fantasy games that make up for a lack of imagination with lots of repetition (Dragon Age 2 in particular). The combat is also far more active than many fantasy RPGs, with a perfect level of difficulty on the normal setting that keeps combat tense and exciting for the 30+ hour adventure, and the multiple playthroughs that follow. But the obvious highlight of the game is the story, which is far more mature than many other supposedly "dark" videogame stories. Filled with memorable characters, awesome epic battles, lots of political intrigue as well as an incredible number of morally ambiguous choices to make that will greatly affect how the game unfolds, the story in TW2 is one of the best stories in a videogame ever, only slightly surpassing that of Dragon Age 2 thanks to the fact that all the story elements in TW2 are connected to the overarching plot, unlike DA2, which felt more like 3 separate stories all meshed together. Overall, TW2 is simply an amazing game and a serious contender for GOTY. It's got beauty, action, story and lots of replay value, and it should not be missed by anyone who values a good story-driven action RPG, or just a great game in general. Expand
  64. May 29, 2011
    RPG fans, get ready to be blown away by one of the best and challenging RPGs
    The Witcher 2 is huge, immersive, beautiful, challenging and adult game.
    The story is complex and interesting, the fights are sometimes hard, so you have to use tactics and drink potions before a fight or before entering a dark cave, lots of quests and lots of locations to explore. with Witcher 2 you'll have lots
    RPG fans, get ready to be blown away by one of the best and challenging RPGs
    The Witcher 2 is huge, immersive, beautiful, challenging and adult game.
    with Witcher 2 you'll have lots of gameplay time, so get ready for a long game people! :)
  65. Jun 2, 2011
    This game is the most best game rpg that I played(but BG is classic...). She has many variation of history, her need to replay that to see new character, new location, because 2 and 3 chapter different.
  66. May 15, 2012
    One of the best rpg what I have played ever. great stroytelling, a complette fight system although doesnt be easy to use. Great charachters, great quests. guess there was some points where the game wasnt perfect but now with EE this game became to near perfect. :)
  67. Sep 30, 2011
    With the release of Patch 2.0 I think this game deserves the 10 point. The amounts of extra content they have put in is amazing, for free too! I think this is the GOTY of this year. You can barely find any glitch in the game despite the size of it. Bioware can start taking notes, dammit! This is what a complete, great RPG is.
  68. Jun 3, 2011
    This game is short of flaws. As soon as it's picked up, it pulls you in. Immense story. Great characters. Amazing enviroment. Slightly linear, but easily overlooked. Definite contender for GOTY.
  69. May 18, 2011
    CDProjekt have made fools of Bioware with this game. This game is a good standard bearer for any company who needs an example of how to make a sequel. They have taken all that was great about the first game, carefully (and selectively) listened to the community criticisms and pretty much improved all aspects of the game in this sequel. This is the sort of RPG that I like to play, huge,CDProjekt have made fools of Bioware with this game. This game is a good standard bearer for any company who needs an example of how to make a sequel. They have taken all that was great about the first game, carefully (and selectively) listened to the community criticisms and pretty much improved all aspects of the game in this sequel. This is the sort of RPG that I like to play, huge, varied, incredibly detailed, superb graphics, great story and brilliant voice acting. I have played the game so far for 20+ hours and still have plenty to do. It certainly doesn't have the length of something like Oblivion or Dragon Age origins, but it does make up for it with it's detail and story which make it a pleasure to play. I can only hope that they do eventually release the SDK for the PC Modding community, because quite frankly that is the only thing that stops me from giving this game a 10 rating. Expand
  70. May 18, 2011
    Stellar Atmosphere, Great Audio Effects, and Captivating Story. When I first installed the Witcher 2, those traits are what grabbed me. At the end of November and the beginning of December, I preordered my collector's addition at Gamestop. I am slightly disappointed at the package material used to contain my items. The black "fuzziness" coats the bust. At once, I noticed how much of aStellar Atmosphere, Great Audio Effects, and Captivating Story. When I first installed the Witcher 2, those traits are what grabbed me. At the end of November and the beginning of December, I preordered my collector's addition at Gamestop. I am slightly disappointed at the package material used to contain my items. The black "fuzziness" coats the bust. At once, I noticed how much of a challenge that TW 2's combat serves. On normal, a player needs to make use of the alchemy system. A player needs to think ahead with the potions that they consume.

Some annoyances with the auto save game feature brought my score down. Each time a player autosaves it creates a new save. The "game-guide" is slightly out of date. Locking on a target can prove to be a burden. For example, he will sometimes try to put out a torch instead of attacking the target. The serial codes came printed with "0" instead of a capital "o". Almost every time I log in I notice that the server is done. However, CDProjekt is working to fix those issues.
  71. May 18, 2012
    The best game I have ever played. And I have played A LOT of different games. Great story, combat, graphics. Simply everything. Worth playing multiple times.
  72. May 17, 2011
    This game is simply amazing. Very captivating story and beautiful graphics. Totally worth its price and more. CDProjekt also promised all future DLCs to be free! What a bargain! This game is worth every penny spent on it and even upgrading your PC just to experience it.

Also, its funny seeing several butthurt fanboys / trolls giving this game 0/10. Don't even read what they write. They are full of rubbish =P.
  73. May 18, 2011
    After installing the game I found that, like most people, the game did not run so well. I did some digging on the internet and found that a few people had solved their FPS issues by updating their Nvidia GFX drivers to beta versions of future drivers. This, ultimately solved my main FPS issue, after some settings tweaking I have the game running at a fairly nice FPS. This and one or twoAfter installing the game I found that, like most people, the game did not run so well. I did some digging on the internet and found that a few people had solved their FPS issues by updating their Nvidia GFX drivers to beta versions of future drivers. This, ultimately solved my main FPS issue, after some settings tweaking I have the game running at a fairly nice FPS. This and one or two crashes here or there are the sole reason I am giving this game a 9/10. If it were not for the initial issues I and other people experienced I'd have given it a 10/10.

Aside everything else, this game is absolutely fantastic. A wonderful addition to the Witcher series and a brilliant continuation of the story (from what I have played so far). The game looks sublime and the writing, scripting and vocal work is great. The combat is in my opinion a better than that of it's predecessor, allowing for more fluid and action packed fights, with the ability to mix things up if you need too, which you will because this game will eat you alive, so you will need to think tactically about your fights and prepare accordingly. If you rush head on into things without thinking or preparing, you WILL die. This makes the game actually challenging, which is unlike games these days. I'm currently playing through on normal difficulty and I'm not ashamed to say I'm having my ass kicked, and I'm a Witcher veteran. This game does not hold your hand and spoon feed you.

If this game doesn't make GOTY then there is something direly wrong with people. I sincerely hope this game is also nominated for lots of awards, because it deserves it. Developers putting time and effort into making their games great is another thing you don't see a lot of these days.

I tip my hat to you, CDprojekt.
  74. May 18, 2011
    Best RPG this year. Fantastic graphic with epic story. This game is enormous, campaing will last for 40 hours. It's so much better than dragon age 2. Hope it sell well cause i want see Witcher 3.
  75. Jun 4, 2011
    99.9 Amazing game it continue the absolutely magnificent story of the witcher 1 every choose you make in the game influence your ending and you will never know if what you did was the right thing after you beat the game a few time you will still have thing to discover weapon to find and quest to make probably the only real revelation of 2011 so far
  76. May 24, 2011
    This game is simply amazing but with a few flaws which is why i don't give it a 10. The environments are constrictive(not enough freedom) and the game is too short imo(about 24 hours without side quests, 40 hours with). BUT in every other way this is the BEST rpg ive ever played. The gameplay, meaningful choices, story, atmosphere, characters, graphics are all wonderful. Hats offThis game is simply amazing but with a few flaws which is why i don't give it a 10. The environments are constrictive(not enough freedom) and the game is too short imo(about 24 hours without side quests, 40 hours with). BUT in every other way this is the BEST rpg ive ever played. The gameplay, meaningful choices, story, atmosphere, characters, graphics are all wonderful. Hats off CDproject. And Iorveth rocks. Expand
  77. May 29, 2011
    I tried this game out without first playing Witcher 1 and initially sympathized with negative criticisms put forth by the few who seem to find this game lacking. Upon my second play through, the story came together and the combat style really sunk in. I can't believe how well done this game is. Some players find the steep learning curve to be a flaw, but I think it's yet another positiveI tried this game out without first playing Witcher 1 and initially sympathized with negative criticisms put forth by the few who seem to find this game lacking. Upon my second play through, the story came together and the combat style really sunk in. I can't believe how well done this game is. Some players find the steep learning curve to be a flaw, but I think it's yet another positive aspect of the game. After all, there are plenty of games out there (Dragon Age II anyone?) where you can mash the keyboard and win. Expand
  78. May 30, 2011
    Great game! It is not boring and naive! There are a few bugs. And so what? Do you prefer error-free game, but terribly boring? Really? Well, you get bored on. I'll play again in TW2. Best game this year. Not just graphically. This game returns to me the joy of the game! Thank you for the creators of The Witcher 2!
  79. Jun 2, 2011
    There aren't many words to suit this game, EPIC comes to my mind tho. Depth of the story sucks you totally in, amount of choices, realism of the fights, all those little tasty things, world that is truly alive... peaks atmosphere to the max! We're half way there, but I already know, this is a Game of The Year for me.
  80. May 31, 2011
    The game is wonderful! . It is a pity that the trolls lower scores. I really do not understand these people who give a 0 or 1.2,3,4. It's a lie! A long awaited step forward for the RPG genere. The Witcher 2 is the best rpg since Baldurs Gate2. The combat is improved and of course the story and graphics = the best. Amazing game, it is not a game, it is a book with movie in witch you playThe game is wonderful! . It is a pity that the trolls lower scores. I really do not understand these people who give a 0 or 1.2,3,4. It's a lie! A long awaited step forward for the RPG genere. The Witcher 2 is the best rpg since Baldurs Gate2. The combat is improved and of course the story and graphics = the best. Amazing game, it is not a game, it is a book with movie in witch you play as Garald. The best RPG until today!CD Projekt Red have absolutely awed me with the quality of work they have put into this game.
    I am telling my friends who I know like RPGs to buy this game.
  81. May 31, 2011
    This is probably the best RPG out in 2011 along with Skyrim, forget that horrible dragon age 2 and go buy this game. Graphics: One of the best looking game, this is kind of game you should expect on a pc, not a console port..high detailed textures, beautiful models, animations, effects, landscapes and so on
    Gameplay: Great improvement on witcher 1 (combat, skills tree, etc), some minor
    Gameplay: Great improvement on witcher 1 (combat, skills tree, etc), some minor issues with inventory or alchemy but i'm sure they'll fix them with incoming patches
    Sound: Great work on voices, cool sound effects, i think witcher 1 ost was better but this one is still great
  82. Mor
    May 31, 2011
    One of the Best Games for PC this year.Its definitely one of the best games i have ever played. Complex and mature story, fantastic fighting system, beautiful graphics .this game simply have it all. Game of the!!!!! year for me .
  83. Jun 4, 2011
    The job CDP have done here is simply stunning. The game runs at about 30 fps at 1080p on my rather outdated Radeon 4850 and the quality of its art and visuals make me think of Blizzard games. Impressive job, given the fact that these Polish guys probably don't have the resources of major Western studios.
    Just walk through the forest near Flotsam at night to understand what I mean.
    I'm
    Just walk through the forest near Flotsam at night to understand what I mean.

I'm mostly staying away from Quen during this runthough; the fights require a bit of research - collecting books about the enemies, preparing blade coatings and potions for the witcher, while the story is top-notch and very much in the spirit of Sapkowski's "Blood of the Elves" and "The Last Wish".

Definitely recommended if you want a game with an engaging story, in a stylish package - finally something to put your 2010 computer to work in a non-gratuitous manner.
  84. Jun 5, 2011
    It will be a brief review of the game. It is simply great.
    It will be a brief review of the game. It is simply great.
    I'm a big fan of DA: O. (I'll still) I saw the first review TW2. ("Wonderful, Beautiful, RPG of the Year") thought that the game is overrated. I have read different opinions and I watched videos on You Tube. And this game seemed to me more and more interesting. In the end I saw this game on my friend's PC. Oh, Jesus! Cake with cream:) This game is great.
    I did not think that RPGs could be so mature and realistic. I bought!
    My PC is old and I play on the lowest settings. And it still looks beautiful.
    She has patch 1.2, so I had no big problems. I have a NVidia card, Pentium Dual-Core 2.5GHz and 4GB RAM. I recommend to download is about new drivers for Nvidia:)
  85. Jun 5, 2011
    Nothing is perfect, but this game is cutting it close.
    Nothing is perfect, but this game is cutting it close.
    From the first steps in this game you are sucked in, it breaths atmosphere and with its mature rating it does feel as medieval times. Unlike this other famous RPG developer, choices do have a big impact on the story and open/close quests and story paths further along the game what gives it a big replay value as well. There is no (obvious) content recycling either.
    The game is a bit difficult at the start and would benefit a bit more from tutorials using the magic signs.
    The game has a few small flaws, like the effort it takes to drink a simple potion, and the lack of a junk tab in the inventory, and the facial expressions are not that good. But these are some minor annoyances.
    The best indication for The Witcher 2 being a good game is that you want more once you finished the game.
    And as an extra, there is no DRM and free DLC.
    Can't wait for an expansion :-)
  86. Jun 20, 2011
    Brilliant game! A huge and very detailed world. A complex and inspired story that your character can actually influence. Depending on your choices you can get completely different quests in the second chapter, making your second playthrough feel like a different game. The story consistent and immersive, mature and morally ambiguous. The quests are highly varied, original, dramatic andBrilliant game! A huge and very detailed world. A complex and inspired story that your character can actually influence. Depending on your choices you can get completely different quests in the second chapter, making your second playthrough feel like a different game. The story consistent and immersive, mature and morally ambiguous. The quests are highly varied, original, dramatic and frequently surprising. True to its genre, you are playing a role here and it's a good one. Expand
  87. Jun 11, 2011
    How is it possible to not like this game!!! It's the best RPG I've ever played, besides maybe Fallout 3. But that's not an apples to apples comparison. GOTY by far - best graphics to date (I have a computer that can max this out, including ubersampling) and it is f*n beautiful. Beyond words. The combat system is fun as hell and this game is worth way more than the $50 asking price. StoryHow is it possible to not like this game!!! It's the best RPG I've ever played, besides maybe Fallout 3. But that's not an apples to apples comparison. GOTY by far - best graphics to date (I have a computer that can max this out, including ubersampling) and it is f*n beautiful. Beyond words. The combat system is fun as hell and this game is worth way more than the $50 asking price. Story line is great, I don't even need to say more. If you don't like this game something is wrong with you :) Expand
  88. Jun 13, 2011
    One of the best single player RPG I have played in a while. Great story, graphics and combat system, everything seems to be improved from TW1. Much needed after the DA2 letdown.
  89. Jun 13, 2011
    A true masterpiece of the computer gaming world! I enjoyed every minute of playing this game. The story will engross you and take you deep into a magical world. The game is made with passion. It is at heart a game made by gamers for gamers. Highly recommended. A near perfect RPG with all the key ingredients that make it so immersing. JUST BEAUTIFUL. I felt proud to buy this game.
  90. Jun 14, 2011
    It's a great game! It is really beautiful and epic. As I read the "opinion"of someone with the nick stefanakisgr I think people are really pathetic. What's wrong with you?
    Score 0 - 4 can give a troll, or some stupid kid. And this is not a game for children, and not for the stupid. I do not know why someone may write such nonsense about this game. You do not like this game, play something else, but do not lie. I appreciate the game on 9.3. It is not perfect, but almost.

Combat is interesting and complex. It requires tactical thinking.
    If anyone expects to be waving his sword to the left and right without any sense it will be quickly killed. This game is different than most RPGs. And thanks God!
    Graphics - is a masterpiece. A beautiful and detailed.
    Music - top notch!
    History addictive. The main character truly unique.
    A little too short Act 3, but it is hoped that this introduction to TW3:)
    An illusion of open space? And what is better? Open space and great boredom, or slightly smaller but with a fascinating story?
    Plastic characters, or complex characters?
    Your choice.
  91. Jun 15, 2011
    Don't wish to write a lengthy review, just want to say I love this game: the world, the characters, the story even the combat. It has some flaws sure, but they are minor and don't take away from enjoying the game overall. I also like the company, their support for their games, keep it up CDPR!
  92. Jun 17, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011, at least in RPG genere . game is simply amazing, best cRPG in this decade :-) it i sgood - you will be surprised it is still available on game market.
  93. Jun 17, 2011
    After a few of weeks with Witcher 2 I'm basically in awe of the effort put in here by the developers. The graphics are the best I have seen in a game as simple as that, from environments to the texture on armour and weapons, its actually a joy to just exist in the world and be immersed. The art direction is perfect as well, the world feels real in a sense. Lighting is amazing, rightAfter a few of weeks with Witcher 2 I'm basically in awe of the effort put in here by the developers. The graphics are the best I have seen in a game as simple as that, from environments to the texture on armour and weapons, its actually a joy to just exist in the world and be immersed. The art direction is perfect as well, the world feels real in a sense. Lighting is amazing, right through the weather effects and day night cycles, sound is also perfect from the wind blowing in the mountains to a creature attacking from behind making you jump out of your skin.

I can see how some people may find combat too hard, if you simply charge in you need to be skilled up, which you can do but it takes time. Witcher 2 forces you to think about combat, you need to develop tactics and these vary from situation to situation. Personally as I've levelled up and chosen my skill path I've been able to develop my own style of play and this depth has made combat a really rewarding experience. There's always a risk of getting wiped out and it makes fights really visceral. Excellent finishing moves are also worth a mention here, should be in every game.

What else, quests are complex and some of the best I've seen, story branching forces you to make tough choices. Crafting actually feels like its something you want to do and tends to be a challenge. The humour is great, runs super smooth with no crashes or bugs in general.

Definitely a strong game of the year candidate.
  94. Jun 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great adult-themed story. Deep and memorable characters. Meaningful choice and consequence options. Interesting and challenging combat and character development. Tons of replay value. Perfect score and voice acting.

Patch 1.2 solves most of keyboards responsivness during combat and quickitem slots problems.

Eager to see some DLC that continues the story.
  95. Jun 18, 2011
    I never write of games, but I had to after reading some the garbage "zero" score reviews. This is simply one of the best RPGs I have ever played! If you love amazing graphics and great story lines stop reading and go buy this! GOTY easily for any PC gamer and RPG fan.
  96. Jun 19, 2011
    One of the best RPG of the decade. Keep in mind that I don not have a powerful pc. But I was able to play smooth for almost all the time. Good work CDPPR!
  97. Jun 19, 2011
    A Master Piece, describing well the universe of Andrzej Sapkowski's works. Dynamic combats, great writing, great graphics, great songs added to the atmosphere, easy and friendly crafting and a Story well "polished" :p. I see more than a trilogy for this game.
  98. Jun 19, 2011
    Game has a story I can really get into mixed in with solid gameplay and combat. Played it on hard and it actually gave me a ridiculously hard yet rewarding experience right to the end of the game. Replaying it again because your choices affect the outcome of the story and I want to see what I missed. Tip: If the fights seem too hard, you just need to adjust how you approach them. EveryGame has a story I can really get into mixed in with solid gameplay and combat. Played it on hard and it actually gave me a ridiculously hard yet rewarding experience right to the end of the game. Replaying it again because your choices affect the outcome of the story and I want to see what I missed. Tip: If the fights seem too hard, you just need to adjust how you approach them. Every enemy type acts differently and has a Achilles Heel. Expand
  99. Jun 21, 2011
    Game of the year 2011. Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings is a highwater mark in gaming. CD Projekt Red has set a new gold standard in interactive entertainment.
  100. Jun 22, 2011
    If you are looking for a twee RPG to comfort you after a nights bedwetting then this is certainly not for you. For those of sterner disposition, Bang on.
  101. May 27, 2011
    Kudos to cdprojekt for creating this shining gem in a genre that is starting to become very stale and lowest common denominator. They've created one of the most enjoyable, beautiful, well written RPGs I've played in many years. If you're a true cRPG fan you need to play this game and the first Witcher as well. To those complaining about difficulty (including critic reviews), give it aKudos to cdprojekt for creating this shining gem in a genre that is starting to become very stale and lowest common denominator. They've created one of the most enjoyable, beautiful, well written RPGs I've played in many years. If you're a true cRPG fan you need to play this game and the first Witcher as well. To those complaining about difficulty (including critic reviews), give it a rest. Games used to be about using your head, learning mechanics, trying different things to overcome an obstacle, not crying because you can't "one-shot" everything on the first try. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011