8.4

1. May 22, 2011
    The way I see it, CD Project has just raised the bar of CRPGs a lot higher. Replayability of the game is tremendous, the combat is way more challenging than in the first installment, character development gained strategy elements as during a single playthrough you'll be able to take only small subset of available skills. Other praises go to game graphics and animation, it's just topnotch. That said, I give the game 9/10 due to disappointing ending, it was too open-ended and unsatisfying to my liking. Expand
  2. May 24, 2011
    A beautiful living world with a fantastic non-linear story, can't ask anything more from an RPG. Combat took a bit of getting used to, as it's unforgiving to mistakes, but it makes it all the more rewarding and immersive as you need to plan before, and make the right decisions during combat.

There's only one thing that can challenge Witcher 2, and that's Skyrim. But I'll love them both.
  3. May 22, 2011
    Short answer: Probably the best game of the year(at least until Skyrim).

Longer Answer: I played through it once so far. And absolutely love it. The graphic is amazing, even if i had to use low graphics due to crappy computer the game still looked very nice. Even if there are some flaws in the game the positive side heavily outweighs the negative side. After completing the game i felt
    quite satisfied. Sure it could have gone on for longer and there are still questions unanswered, but none of those have really anything to do with the main story in the game, even if some are a result of the main story.
    A great thing with witcher2 is that it's made for adults. nothing is censored(unless you live in Australia). Wish more developers would go on that path, it sort of puts the realism at a higher level than in any other game.

A both good and bad thing in the witcher2 is that the game doesn't hold you hand and show you what to do. Some things you have to figure out yourself. It's not dumbed down and therefor can feel a bit challenging. But that is all the genre is about also.
    Lets hope this is not the last we've seen of the witcher. The Witcher2 felt like a very welcomed game, specially after the big letdown after Dragon Age2.
  4. May 25, 2011
    Once again amazing character/development and writing but the main story feels lacking. I would like to write a large review and say a lot about this game but I would use up all of my available characters so I'll just say it fully deserves my 9. It loses a point for a number of reasons. Combat is perfect in every way could use a little re balancing especially the spells.
  5. May 21, 2011
    This game can easily match it with the best non-linear RPGs out there. A dark atmosphere and adult storytelling set it apart from most other games of it's genre. Good and Evil are so close together when you make your decisions that there usually is no "good choice" - its mostly about choosing the "lesser evil" - and that choice is nearly 100% up to you - and yes: Choose your words poorly and the game will instant-kill you!

With upgraded graphics it is a real beauty on a high-end PC. A tip for drastically improving performance is to turn of "Uber-Sampling" which makes the game unplayable on Single-GPU systems.

The only real problem I could find are some balancing issues that make the game's combat very hard while you are still try to learn it and gain your first levels. This is because the encounters do not scale with the players level. But it also means that game gets easier each level - which makes it almost too easy at the end (unless you skip all side-quests).

All in all the best RPG I have played since Mass Effect - even surpassing it (and I am a Sci-Fi fan). I did not encounter any game-breaking bugs/crashes but I had no sound with a 7.1 USB-headset. The game works at 5.1 and stereo though. Found no logic bugs either - sometimes a quest-NPC wasn't there but that was usually fixed by meditating 23 hours.

Any RPG-fan should own a copy of this game!
  6. May 23, 2011
    Excellent game! If you love RPG this is the game for you in 2011. Simply superb graphics and storytelling. Different battle system compared to TW1 and it works much better. I had trouble playing on harder difficulties in this game when I breezed through the insane difficulty on TW1. It's a must buy. I would even re-play TW1 just to see how it affects events in this game. DO get this game instead if you're thinking of DA2 which I never even bothered to finish. Expand
  7. May 23, 2011
    This is my favorite RPG since Fallout: NV. Different, suprising and addictive. I'm playing at just under/around medium graphics quality and it is still gorgeous. Can hardly wait to replay it in a few years with everything turned on.
  8. May 17, 2011
    The witcher 2 will be RPG of the year 2011.. The Witcher 2 is best game i ever played in a very long time. Beautyfull graphics, nonlinear and addictive story, innovative combat system, great dialog, DRM free, free DLC, only 49$ compared to some others *cough* DA2 *cough* that charge $60 but less than 1/2 the quality.
  9. May 17, 2011
    Poorly optimized, simplistic and straightforward combat, emo story and characters trying to convey something that is nothing at all. I mean really, no matter how good your hardware, sure you can run the game and it's playable, but the performance is simply not acceptable if you're a regular gamer and value your framerate and visual quality. Combat and RPG-wise it's barely anything more than Assassin's Creed, not deserving the "RPG" label at all. Clearly all the devs cared about was making a game with "wow" graphics and trying to make it mature (failing hard!) so that people would buy the game en masse. Let's hope it doesn't work because it certainly doesn't deserve it.

Avoid! There are far better RPGs coming this year, no need to waste money on this.
  10. May 22, 2011
    Amazing game with awesome graphic, nonlinear story, perfect gameplay. One of the best RPG games i have ever played. I think that Bioware should learn to do an RPG for CD Project Red. Sorry for my English:)
  11. May 23, 2011
    Far above and beyond any recent RPGs in almost all categories. The graphics are amazing, it runs very well, the story and character designs are amazing. However, the game is not without faults. While the combat seems somewhat mediocre, the glitches that accompany random parts of the game are frustrating at times. Looting can become a chore when you spend a minute trying to angle your camera right and walk around in circles mashing left click, only to realize you won't be able to loot it because of a future quest, or because its glitched. If you enjoyed the story/theme of the first game, this is a no brainer and must be picked up asap. If you enjoy RPGs, you will most likely enjoy this title at full price. Expand
  12. May 17, 2011
    The best RPG ever, in my opinion, CD Project RED are the best, i have played it for about 7 hours and i already like it more than Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, all them together.

Simply Amazing
  13. May 19, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an Excellent game! Expands the story very well and the overall combat is much more fun to master than its predecessor. Its also great to see that developer puts so much care into its product and still give the hardcore pc gamers what they want.
  14. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Been waiting a long time for this sequel and so far i am not disappointed! After the massive letdown that was Dragon Age 2, this game came along and saved the day! Awesome combat, and the mix of rpg elements is great. graphics are sick. Im not sure how much of your system it uses i have a pretty high end system so im running at ultra and it looks amazing. no load times either. I started on hard difficulty and the game gives quite a challenge which is refreshing. you actually have to use your magic, traps, and alchemy to give you the edge you need. Anyone lookin for a great rpg to kill those long months before mass effect 3 and hopefully "fingers crossed" diablo 3, get this game! Expand
  15. May 18, 2011
    I needed about 5 minutes of playing The Witcher 2 to realize CD Projekt have outdone themselves. Great atmosphere, interesting plot and witty dialogue come together to produce a truly addictive game.
  16. May 18, 2011
    A Beautiful Game.
    Scenery, atmosphere and the rich colours are beautiful. Story is all engrossing(decisions, decisions). Interesting gritty fleshed out characters. Great combat. Great game.
  17. May 18, 2011
    Great GAME ! Definetly going to buy it straight from gog . Exellent job CD Project ! Damn guys keept it comming ! This will be my 5-th title ever bought ... you know i am from Eastern Europe too :D I own all WOW , Witcher 1, ME1 and ME2 .... BioWARE & EA : you freaking tricked us here in romania with the cerberus codes for ME2 . Never recived any code in the box , just a reply from EA that the copies sold in Romania do not have the code . GG Bioware , you won't see my money anytime soon . Its just painfull that you do not want them. Ohh by the way have a great time tracking the pirates through SSL :P

P.S: To all users that keep saying DA2 it is better than TW2 ..... ..... you got the versions totally wrong. You should edit your posts and say : DA1 it is better than TW1 .. and that it is true :)
  18. May 17, 2011
    Never have I played an RPG that combines everything well together. From the little details like UI presentation all the way to the magnificent setpieces like the environments of Witcher 2, you will not walk away disappointed. The graphics are simply gorgeous. CDPR should be congratulated for the Red Engine. Not only is it well optimized, but if you have the hardware to max it, it is a sight to behold. The gameplay is just perfect. The click heavy combat from the first has been replaced by a more responsive and accurate type of gameplay. It is like playing Demon's Souls, only more fluid. You control where you hit, and you will do it will style with all the bombs, traps, skills etc. The story is unbelievable! Don't wanna spoil anything but, after you play this game, you cannot wait to replay the game in another way. Expand
  19. May 17, 2011
    Excellent game, You have to buy it, perfect!, Excellent game, You have to buy it, perfect!, Excellent game, You have to buy it, perfect!, Excellent game, You have to buy it, perfect!
  20. May 17, 2011
    Genial Games! More impressed story, beautiful look, mysterious music & fine characters. Thanks for developer from Poland CD Project Red. One of the most looking game ever.
  21. May 17, 2011
    Really, i wasn't expecting to write a review of this game, but all this Bioware stuff with the 0 marks it's too much. You should be ashamed of what are doing here, trying to destroy this game, which has been made with a lot of effort by people who i'm sure love bioware game as we all did. Bioware, remember why you began working on videogames, and show some respect to these people, that's the least you can do. By the way to the stupid from above, ¿what's your problem, you think we europeans don't kow a **** about games? Well i'm european and i know DA2 was one of the worst **** i've ever played, as DA origins was one of the best games i've ever played in my life. So please show some common sense and respect please. Expand
  22. May 17, 2011
    I can sum up this game by simply calling it a masterpiece. The love the developers have for PC gaming shows so clearly in how the Witcher 2 plays, and I think it will set a new standard for quality RPGs going forward. Keep up the amazing work, CDPR. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for this awesome company.
  23. May 17, 2011
    amazing atmosphere, fantastic dialogue and gameplay. Best RPG since Baldur's Gate
    GOTY 2011.
    Dragon Age I and II, Risen, Two Worlds and others simply are not able to compete with this game!
  24. May 17, 2011
    Great game, the translation wasnt the best, but everything else was great, good story, lost of locations to explore, the combat was good, and let me tell you, this game is very easy on the eyes, and for the people complaining about their machines not running the game well, well thats too bad, get a high end PC or stick with console gaming.

Bioware needs to take a look at what a real
    studio can do when they put their mind to it, this makes DA2 look shameful in almost every category. Expand
  25. ion
    May 17, 2011
    It is really hard to point out all qualities of this game because there are that many of them. Magnificent plot and storyline, deep, ambiguous characters, the importance of the choices you make (the choices, let's add, not obvious and not black and white), great minor characters and the gray, bleak yet vivid world in which the real monsters are the human beings. If we add to it marvelous graphics, well-made soundtrack and a demanding gameplay (you really have to use all your equipment and magic skills when facing a tough opponent or a bunch of them) we get one of the most amazing cRPG games in the last decade. The Witcher 2 is the masterpiece and as such, should stand alongside other masterpieces like Baldur's Gate, Fallout 2, KOTOR and Planescape: Torment. I hope that the game will become a huge success not only as a piece of art, but also as a product, so that we'll see more astonishing works from this small studio. Expand
  26. May 17, 2011
    First time I post here, but just one thing to say : congratz CDProject, you have done the best RPG, if it is not the best game I ever played. need more, get your time but do more of great game like this one. We buy and we appreciate them.
  27. May 18, 2011
    To be very honest, i wasnt expecting too much. I played the first The Witcher few years ago and it was good, nothing new , nothing brilliant it was a good game. But when i played The Witcher 2 it was just a new experience of gaming. The deepth of the story is just incredible, the possibility of choices in this game are incredible high, the atmosphere is just incredible dense its just a beautiful game. The combat is great and intuitive a big improvement when you look at the first The Witcher. The graphics are just gorgeous, the design of the world , including environment, buildings, armors is really on of the best i ever saw. Its clearly on of the best Role Playing Games i ever experienced. So i can just say: Guys, buy this game and support the developers! Expand
  28. May 18, 2011
    One of the best game I have ever played. Story is realy non-linear (yes DA - you can learn from W2), graphics is great, characters are high detailed and almost alive. Combat was improved and now it is really nice.
    Brawo!
  29. May 18, 2011
    This game is a classic. People who are posting zeroes should just calm down. There's no way that bioware employees would be posting those marks. More like overzealous bioware fans who are threatened. This game deserves a complete 10. It's the best game i've played since oblivion, and dare I say it, baldur's gate. I get the distinct feeling that bethesda are playing this game right now and todd howard just said "new release date for skyrim folks...12/12/12" :) Expand
  30. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a masterpiece. Superb graphics and audio, non-linear story, mature choices and consequences. Witcher 2 is a game for hardcore RPG fans, but in the same time it's accessible so that anyone can play it. If you are a gamer, buy this game.

Angry Bioware fans, you don't realize that you are damaging your favorite company by boycotting Witcher 2 score like this. Many people
    will do the same for your favorite games, if you don't stop your rampage. In the end, all games will have lower scores. Expand
  31. rq3
    May 18, 2011
    Mature story, dark world, not so shallow as BioWare production. Based on great novelty. It's real RPG! It's everything that BioWare's game failed to be.
    Great graphic
    Great story
    Great system
    Great music
    So many diffrent endings...
    Who needs more?
  32. May 18, 2011
    This game really is very good, a must buy for any REAL fan of the RPG Genre.
    The graphics are absolutely STUNNING. Plenty of customization to be had to ensure a decent frame rate.
    The storyline is first class, voice acting and lines are also very good.
    The use of Quick Time Events was a very welcome addition in my opinion.
    And, to top off what already is a great game, the developers have
    issued the game without the troublesome DRM that is plaguing the PC Gaming Industry.
    To all the Bioware fan boys out there, man up and take your heads out of your asses.
  33. May 18, 2011
    One incredible game that you must definitely play. Very mature and smart text, nicely designed combat and stunning graphics. It is worth to play it more than once. That's for sure.
  34. s1n
    May 18, 2011
    Ok, I'll try to be as specific as I can with my review so I can help those who haven't made a decision yet:

1. Optimization - the game runs smooth on MID details on my 2x3.0 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, RadeonHD 4850, Win XP. And by MID details in The Witcher 2 I mean HIGH in many other blockbuster titles - the looks of the game are simply astounding! A few minor bugs will probably be handled with
    the first patch, but they don't screw up the whole picture at all.

2. Story - it nails you to the chair from the very beginning. Mature, deep, with characters that have their own affairs and motivation. The game provokes REAL emotions, with some of the scenes so deeply moving! This is a game, that you will remember long after you finished it!

3. Choices & non-linearity - finally they are real! This is not a typical Mass Effect thing, where the only choice you had was to be uber-polite or **** in dialogues, but no matter what you "chose" the outcome was the same and the story went on. Here you make REAL choices, that change the story completely at some points, make you visit different locations and meet different characters throughout the game. And typically for Geralt's world - usually you have to choose between two evils. 4. Audio - music & voice acting are from the top shelf. Period. 5. World design - with a huge attention to details, you can see passion and hard work put into the world design every corner you turn. All that crafting combined with very good ambience sounds make The Witcher 2 the most immersive RPG I have played.

6. Combat system - some people say it's too hard and chaotic, but I find it well balanced between action and some strategic thinking. The action factor is more visible, but hey - don't you think that swinging swords, casting spells and trying to slay your opponent is ALL about action?

7. Character development - the system is clear and gives you many options to develop Geralt the way you feel comfortable to play. 8. Overall - if you could call a game epic - this is the one. Not in the "internet" meaning of epic being something incredibly good(well, this too), but actually epic. The game has scale, ambition, and it has those little moments that make you just sit there in front of your screen with your hands off the keyboard and mouse and ADMIRE IT. If you can consider games an art - this is the masterpiece. Crafted with love and making those 30 hours of your life spent on it richer.

(wonder if anyone actually read this till the end :) )
  35. May 22, 2011
    One of the best RPG i ve played since Gothic, Morrowind and Risen. Finally somebody showed those mainstream, brainwashed developers how good RPGs are made.

Thanks!
  36. May 28, 2011
    This game made me excited again , to play a real rpg on PC , Graphic outstanding the best I have ever seen comparing this to Dragon age 2 or 1 graphic is unfair ..
    Sound are also great , I enjoy ambient sounds , sword sheathing , everything is done nicely
    Control : I don't know why so many complains about control , it response very well Story : One of the most amazing story in Game
    history , your choices mean something , bad may be good , and good may be bad .
    Game play : I find the game not that hard , if you go button smashing of course you will die ,
    you need to think , prepare yourself before the battles , make bombs , traps , and poisons .
    Improvement from the first game : the world is more realistic , Geralt can interact with many things , like climbing , sneaking , knocking enemies , light fire . these all knew things .
    Improvement for the Alchemy and mediation system . you don't need Alcohol for making potions .
  37. May 19, 2011
    This is a great rpg, the best I have ever played. I find it funny how people who rate this game badly rated Dragon Age 2 10/10. I bet they did not even play the game.
  38. May 27, 2011
    I'm praying for one thing - that big-shot RPG game developers will check out this game and will finaly understand what are the most important things for good RPG. And TW2 didn't discover America here - they just used ideas and way of thinking from 10 yers ago when things like Baldur or Planescape were created. Maybe they will also notice that creating half of game and selling second half as DLC is not the only way to make proffit from game - sometimes it's enough just to do a good game. Expand
  39. May 19, 2011
    This is Baldur's Gate 3 - so much love and attention has been lavished on this game it aches. This game delivers in spades what RPG lovers look for. This is the new benchmark - CD Projekt are the new Black Isle - no question. GO AND BUY THIS GAME!!!!!!
  40. May 19, 2011
    Behold! Game of the year! Also this title has become the new stress-tester for fast gaming PC's. I love the details, textures, people in the Witchers world, and the story. No spoilers. You gotta love it!
  41. May 19, 2011
    This might well be among the best role playing games i have ever played. The Atmosphere is great, the characters are authentic and the storyline is, while not extremely original, interesting to follow. Spice that up with a few well thought side quests and you got yourself a great game.

There are, however, some problems. First of all, the game is going to come out for consoles too and
    therefore the whole interface has been developed for that. Its bulky and in some cases downright illogical (why is there no 'junk' filter in the inventory?! or a sell all 'junk' button?!). Then there are some action sequences we already know from console games (press the button shown on the screen or die).

Well. The fights are pretty hard and sometimes you will be confronted with enemies that are almost impossible to beat at that time. Which is ok - but can present a nasty surprise. While Witcher I allowed you to play almost with no potions at all, you will need all your skill with traps and pots and bombs to even make it out of the introduction...

So, all in all, a very good game... which i can recommend.
  42. May 19, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an absolutely stunning game, offering a compelling and mature world filled with equally compelling characters. Visually breathtaking, deeply engrossing, and utterly enjoyable, The Witcher 2 may very well be one of the greatest RPGs of all time
  43. May 19, 2011
    I've been waiting for this game for almost five years now. Aside from the botched Rise of the White Wolf console edition, the original Witcher game and two more editions there after changed the way I see and play role-playing games.

Fast forward to 2011 which is a great year for CDPR, The Witcher 2 has done the impossible. A stunning beautifully rendered game that's an achievement of its
    own. A game that genuinely captivates the imagination and sucks you in with its clever mature story telling.

Although it was a smooth launch, there are unavoidable software glitches that came with it like poor performance on high-end nvidia and ati cards, scores of quest bugs, and occasional crashes. CDPR assured the community that they are looking into these problems and would address them in the coming days or weeks. Don't let the light software problem prevent you from playing this magnificent game though.
  44. May 22, 2011
    Never seen such a story. Must - have, must - play. This is how you do it. Deep character system? Check Epic story? Check Engaging combat? Check No DRM? Check Same price across regions? Check Free DLC forever? Check CD Projekt is the anti-EA/Bioware. Game looks absolutely fantastic. Dialogue is immersive and well written. m_stannard is a gelatinous, buttperturbed jackass who is super mad DA2 sucked dick. Expand
  45. May 23, 2011
    This game is NOT made for one-time play only. Depends on your choices you get COMPLETELY different quests and even locations. So don't tell me it's short! Play it once again and you will be amazed how big are the sequencer of your decisions.. I played it on hard and find combat extremely satisfying and challenging. There are 16 different endings. Unfortunately the number of it doesn't go with quality. Still it's the best RPG ever made! Expand
  46. May 22, 2011
    At first I was disapointed with the fighting mechanics and poor tutorial but then I realized what a wonderful RPG this game is! Fantastic game! + STORY + DIALOGS + MUSIC + WORLD AND CHARACTER DESIGN + non-linearity + GUI estetics + map window and journal + short loading times - VERY DIFFICULT - low responsiveness - fighting mechanics - TUTORIAL - AI bugs - waiting for dead opponents to disappear in order to harvest them...?! Expand
  47. May 21, 2011
    In one word: GOTY. This is an awesome piece of art: gameplay, graphics and story are all on extremely high levels... simply wonderful. I think it is one of the best RPG of all time.
    Everyone who like RPGs should (i'd rather say "must") buy and play this game.

@ bioware trolls/fanboys: you are ridiculous: stop whining and trolling, DA2 is an epic fail, while TW2 will probably be a GOTY.
  48. May 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This definitely my candidate for Game of the Year 2011.. The best accion rpg... no drm and Free DLC.

Bioware fanboys rating this down xD .. My candidate for Game of the Year 2011. 10.0 asdasdsaddsada
  49. May 20, 2011
    I have no doubt in my mind that we are looking at game of the year here. Amazing story.graphics,music and fighting mechanics.this game imprves on everything that the witcher 1 done and the witcher 1 was an amzing game in its own right go do yourself a favour and BUY this game,you will not regret it
  50. May 21, 2011
    One of the best cRPG game I've played since I had a PC in 1995. Story is so deep maybe only Planescape: Torment can match it. Maybe. Graphic is something you just have to see: so far more complex places I've only seen in the real mountains in the real world. What the engine shows us is simply breathtaking. This is an absolute MUST-HAVE for anyone who likes RPG genre.
  51. May 21, 2011
    The Masterpiece. One of few games that make me forget that its just a game. I stop thinking about game mechanics - scripts, triggers, what will the game do if I do something. Detailed game world took me in completely. Thats how games are done and I hope other developers already see the long road before them :)
    Also I like very much that game doesn't treat me like a retarded kid. It's nice
    to see that developer's goal was the quality, not earnings.
    Im glad I could pay them for this game!

PS. If Witcher 2 is so excellent, I simply cant imagine Witcher 3 :)
  52. May 21, 2011
    This is the real role playing game. You play the role of Geralt, monster slayer and it is so well done that you really feel as a witcher. This feeling of immersion is the greatest accomplishment of the game and you can see everywhere the work, which was done to give you that immersion. The characters, dialogs, living people, beautiful environments - all of that in other RPG games up to date seems shallow compared to the Witcher.

The combat system is challenging though, and at the beginning the fights a little too difficult, and at the end a little too easy. But firstly - you play as a witcher, so you should have a skill for slaying monsters - and during the game you feel more and more being Geralt so in second half of the game you should be a killing machine - and you are. Secondly, if you don't like learning combat by Save&Load I recommend for the Prologue switching difficulty level to Easy, and in the 1st Act switching it to Normal.

All in all, the game is great. It gives you a great adventure, great story and a great, believable world to discover. And it doesn't feel as you were watching movie because you have to make difficult choices constantly and your actions really are meaningful. So if you want the best RPG game, you have it here - some minor glitches don't spoil the experience at all.
  53. May 22, 2011
    This game will be GOTY for sure. Best RPG I have ever played. Story is amazing and nonlinear, realistic choices, graphics looks awesome. I cant understood guys, who gives that games "0". And free DLC!
  54. May 21, 2011
    WOW, the butthurt Bioware fans..

I haven't even played this game to it's full extent, but I like it, but seriously guys? Don't just vote 10 on DA2 then 0 on Witcher 2, NO ONE likes fan boys.
  55. May 21, 2011
    Contender for GOTY 2011 and best RPG to come in a long while the Witcher 2 has a deep mature storyline that actually significantly alters depending on the decisions made offering replay value and a sense of making an actual impact on its world. Combat is actually interesting and not dumbed down for the console kiddies but some may find it a bit too hard at the beginning but hey a little challenge is always good so top marks for that. Graphics are top notch and on my average system it plays satisfactorily. Not a title to be missed surely especially coming from a developer that actually tries to cater to its fans. Expand
  56. May 21, 2011
    This is simply the best RPG I've ever played on PC if not even the best RPG of all time, anyone with a PC should play this game.. this is truly the "game of the year" of 2011 without a doubt.. 10/10
  57. May 21, 2011
    If HBO made a CRPG, it would be The Witcher 2. A wonderfully realized and textured dark fantasy world, with colorful adult dialogue that transcends the juvenile fare in many rpgs, reminiscent of "A Game of Thrones". Difficult decisions with no simple "good/bad" path spamming, have consequences felt down the road all through the game. Truly beautiful graphics with dynamic real time combat that will see you flying around the battlefield dispatching foes with a dizzying array of lethal moves. Minor difficulty scaling issues can make some earlier parts of the game more challenging than they should be, but it wont be long before the game is making you feel like a true grandmaster of lethal, magically augmented swordplay.

RPG of the year, hands down.
  58. May 21, 2011
    A very good RPG with an excellent story, I found myself as drawn in as with the first Witcher game. The combat is a little difficult to get used too at first but this is the only initial hurdle, unlike most RPG's out there this is actually challenging and you feel as if you accomplished something after a difficult fight because it takes skill to win. (your not just guzzling down health potions like 'some' unimaginative rpg's) It is at times dark and gritty, and I love it that way. You feel a part of the story. Expand
  59. May 21, 2011
    One of the greatest RPGs of this year so far, Great storyline and good use of decisions to affect the outcome of certain effects, Excellent beautiful graphics and memorable characters, Good side quests keeps things interesting and a good selection of weapons and armor.
  60. May 21, 2011
    Good: fantastic graphics, storyline, tactics in combat, characters, sound, awesome monsters Bad:doors!, sometimes buggy, ubersampling makes GTX 580 cry, too short-want more Awesome: Better than all off Bioware's kiddy console ports =P
  61. May 21, 2011
    Brilliant game just like the original The Witcher, After the disappointment of Dragon Age 2, i was losing hope in RPG but still hoping on The Witcher 2 and Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

The Witcher 2 have restored some faith, if you have an high end computing system, i highly recommend it!

Now wanting to play The Witcher 3 or an expansion, and loving Triss Merigold (Was their really a choice in
    the game, i wont spoil), for future games Triss > Yennifer...

Great game, now waiting for 11/11/11 for Skyrim and news about future developments of the witcher.
  62. TMT
    May 21, 2011
    This game should get Bioware worried, maybe it already did if you look at the few over the top negative comments here. The Witcher 2 leaves the original Dragonage behing and Dragonage 2 is not coming even close. Please Bioware get your act together, you've been my number 1 game company in the world. But now my vote goes to CDProject & Withcer 2. Enough said.
  63. May 22, 2011
    Although I'm only a few hours into the game, I'm quite enjoying it despite a few bugs and a surprising difficulty. I've also found the story to be quite entertaining, while still understandable to someone who read the plot of the first game on Wikipedia, the day before release. It's also extremely pretty. Man oh man do I love me some pretty graphics, although it did take a little bit of tweaking for it to run at 30 fps on my pretty good tier machine. I can run the game with most settings on with the exception of the hated Uber Sampling, and still get a solid 25-30 fps. Although I do believe the developers could have done a little more optimization, along with a little more bug fixing. Expand
  64. May 22, 2011
    This is a fantastic game. In having played many since Neverwinter Nights through Oblivion and Dragon Age 1&2 this is a great game. Its got a substantial story unlike just a good game like Mass Effect. The books around it are weak as they are around Dragon Age. These characters have a real feel of depth and richness and cruelty. The issues are complex. Some bits are really hard to get through and some battles a true effort. The gameplay is a delight and the graphics fantastic and fast. Its a pleasure not to have endless decisions about what is the character like. Its excellent value. Expand
  65. May 22, 2011
    Just completed the game and The Assassin of Kings has pretty much blown me away.

It looks like CD Projekt took the complaints about the first Witchers pace in the opening chapters to heart. From stomping around the outskirts of Vizima and running errands for the locals to taking part in the end-game of a siege and invading a castle as part of Foltest's army. Even the prologue is simply
    epic. There's definitely a flair for the cinematic in this game that was missing from the first, the animators and character designers really did a great job.

The combat system is easily one of the best yet out of any action rpg's I've played over the years. Aesthetically speaking this game is such a monstrous leap in quality over the first it's damned near absurd. The character models, the environments, the effects, the texture work, it's all so damned pretty. CD Projekt worked their asses off on this game and it shows. This game looks like it's something special. I wish every game had this much of detail.

It's running great even on lower end machines. There seems to be a bug with some drivers though, so if you are a nvdia user install the latest beta drivers WITHOUT the 3D drivers. Also don't activate ubersampling. It will bring even the beefiest system to it's knees.
  66. May 22, 2011
    This game is very good RPG. Beautiful history and super graphics, interesting quests, super gameplay and wonderful atmosphere makes it extremely. CD Project Red, good job!
  67. May 22, 2011
    Stunning graphics, mature story, good and challenging combat system(which still need some fine tuning), choices that are not obvious, plot paths leading to different locations depending on your decisions, all things considered witcher 2 is probably biggest positive supprise of 2011(negative one being DA2 probably), if you love rpgs you must try it..
  68. May 22, 2011
    Absolutely phenomenal game, made â
  69. May 22, 2011
    This year is not over yet but for now this game is GOTY for me.As all mention it got amazing graphics , great story, this game is made with love and passion.Keep it up CDP
  70. May 22, 2011
    this game, is an amazing labor of love and I have not have that rpg-ish feeling since Ultima days(yes I played all recent rpgs). Back when Origin was the king of 'creating worlds', was superseded by Bioware, and now simply pwned by CDP. I hope CPD seeings that their efforts have paid off and continue making games of this caliber, the fans are all behind you!

as for Dragon Age 2, well
    thats passe, you could read that lengthy interview by devs supporting DA2 decision again and its just all lies....they just lazy, ie fans will not buy DA3 on blind faith. However more interestingly is how Skyrim will turn out. Skyrim train is already in motion, so the milliion dollar question is did Skyrim dev pull a 'lets just better DA2 by abit, stupid fans will still buy it' or 'LETS MAKE A REAL RPG!'.

good times indeed for RPG fans.
  71. May 22, 2011
    Great sequel to a solid game. Witcher 2 has breathtaking graphics. Story is great and has much replayability due to your choices. Good community. Only con is a small studio about to be overwhelmed with success. The initial sales has put a lot of stress on their infrastructure.

A definite buy!!!
  72. May 22, 2011
    In the past few years, RPG fans have begun to worry that their favorite genre is becoming watered down, using recent games like Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2 as evidence. The Witcher 2 breaths new life into the genre. Tactical combat, convincing dialogue, towering boss fights and an intriguing narrative separate this ambitious game from it's competition. If Bethesda's RPGs are the pinnacle of freedom, then CD Projekt Red may just have displaced Bioware as the pinnacle of RPG narrative. Does the future of the RPG genre lie, not in America or Japan, but Europe? The Witcher 2 certainly presents a strong argument for this. Collapse
  73. May 22, 2011
    A great piece of a RPG here. Combat is difficult at first look but when you get into it, it will you reward you with a lot of satisfaction (I`m playing on hard difficulty). It`s not simple hack and slash, you need to think a lot and use all the stuff you have with you to be successful. World and environment are beautiful. Thanks to the new Red Engine graphics will blow your mind if set on high/ultra. But the ultimate flow of this game is the story. I couldn`t stop myself from playing just to see what will happen next. I hadn`t such feeling from times of Planescape Torment and Baldurs Gate. It`s sad to see games like that so rare now days. Recommended for every true ROLE playing gamer out there. P.S. Game has some minor issues but most of them will be patched soon I believe. Expand
  74. May 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great story, fight system, quests, Triss and other NPCs. Graphics is amazing, music and sounds are perfect, minigames are interesting. This game deserves to be Game of the year, but for me, the Witcher is better... Expand
  75. May 22, 2011
    This game went from my favourite to my least favourite game. I played through it thinking there would be a massive battle near the end, but instead you get the 'to be continued' feeling you get from crap tv shows. The only difference, is that with a game you have to wait years rather than days for the continuation. (My review gets better) This was a amazingly good game, don't get me wrong (that's why i still gave it a 9/10): The graphics were rich and colourful, the characters were well developed and intriguing, the voice acting was above decent, the combat system was fun but sometimes a bit glitchy, the storyline was a bit hard to follow, but in no doubt very advanced and deep. I found the tutorials to move a bit quickly, so i had to google how to use mutagens, potions, etc. During dialogue, i found that characters would use the same hand motions each time you would talk to them. Over all, this game is godly, and you should buy it whenever you get the chance (or wait till the third comes out, then play them all in sequence). I do feel like the last several days of mine were wasted however, trying to achieve a goal that didn't even exist. I give 9/10 for the most addictive game of all time, with market-leading graphics that are very memorable. Expand
  76. May 22, 2011
    I didn't play much in the last few years simply because of the fact that there wasn't a game that could keep me entertained for a long time. Luckily it has changed due to W2. There are no words that can describe how good the game is: the plot, graphics and music are very well combined together. It's like in the old times when games where created for gamers by gamers and not only to bring profits selling weak products. Don't hesitate and buy W2, you won't regret it. And BTW, good job CDProjekt ! Expand
  77. May 22, 2011
    Quite simply the best, most mature and addictive RPG to date. Don't let yourself be discouraged by the overly difficult and action-oriented tutorial (I was seriously tempted to quit, thinking it was not for me - and am I ever glad I didn't), as soon as the game really starts the Witcher 2 shows what it's made of. Breathtaking graphics and beautiful level design meet an intriguing and complex story with lots of tough choices and unexpected twists as well as a addictive game mechanics. If you can play only one RPG this year (or - I think it's safe to say - the next) make it The Witcher 2. Expand
  78. May 22, 2011
    It is grotesque how fanboys trying to discredit this great and beautiful game! Jealousy .... jealousy:)
    Now the trick they played in TW1. And they say "Oh yeah, I played in TW1. The Witcher 2 is much worse .... etc That I'm disappointed .. blah ... blah blah ... I will give only 1"
    Blah .. blah .. blah ... Really poor game play are rated higher. People do not be ridiculous! This game is
    the worst case can be evaluated on the 7th Oh .. no, rather, on the 8th This is the truth! You know it! You should be ashamed!
    And something about the game - is so great that it will defend itself.

It is much better than DA2. Who knows, you might be better than Skyrim. I still do not know ... but I know TW2 is unique.
  79. May 22, 2011
    This is a truly awesome game, one of the best cRPGs, I've ever played. I was sucked in from the beginning and simply cannot stop playing. The dialogues are the strongest part of that game. I laughed a lot! Action oriented game play is also something fresh in this genre. I enjoyed killing monsters and the bad guys a lot.
  80. May 22, 2011
    Has to be the best game made this year so far, Amazing story, Characters and graphics. plus none of the romance **** like other games seem to think are important.

you can tell the developers put alot of hard work in to this and it payed off :)
  81. May 22, 2011
    A few nitpicks aside this is easily one of the best games let alone rpg's of this gaming generation. Great graphics and presentation(make sure you bring a monster rig if you plan to "MAX" it). Good controls and combat mechanics allowing you play with multiple styles and use several types of weapons tho be warned the game doesnt do a great job in teaching these to the player so expect a trial by fire beginning. Great characters with good writing, voice acting and some of the best choice/consequence gameplay in the industry. Refreshingly mature tone that treats the gamer like an adult and doesnt constantly hold your hand. A good 25-35hour singleplayer with nice replay value. The only reason i didnt give it a 10 is because of the last 1/5 of the game in which it feels a bit rushed. Its not horrible, but it should have been fleshed out much better. Expand
  82. May 22, 2011
    game of the year, rpg of the year...bioware is jealous and they cant handle how amazing this game is...as far as i am concerned, bioware is dead for pc gamers, and all hail the new king! phuck you bioware!
  83. May 22, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an absolutely incredible game, with nearly every aspect surpassing the first game. While the combat is vastly superior to the previous game, there are still issues, primarily with targeting and difficulty ramping. These minor flaws do not however distract from the overall game, including it's incredible story that is probably the best from any game since Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape :Torment. The game is a definite contender for Game of the Year and so far at least, has absolutely no competition. As for performance - I am using a Nvidia 470GT with the May 17 beta drivers, everything but Ubersampling turned on max the frame rate is at a stable 60 with minimal stuttering during area loads. Expand
  84. May 23, 2011
    Absolutely unequaled in story telling and atmosphere! This game has a level of writing that would be an unachievable goal for a lot of fantasy books. The plot is drawing heavily from the Middle Ages and mixes the fantasy elements seamlessly. You may find the excessive violence and profanity repulsive, but it makes for a lot more realistic and immersive experience - the people in this game are far closer to their historic prototypes than the idealized icons we have grown to accept as characters in the cliche fantasy games. They eat, drink, swear, have bodily needs and all the rest of it. I would compare the world to George Martin's fantasy saga. Quite obviously, the authors are very well read in history.

Graphics are extremely impressive, both artistically and technically. Music is of the highest quality and it is used very well, complementing the experience - joyful in the taverns, creepy in the dungeons and aggressive during fights. Voice acting is very good with minor exceptions, but fortunately Geralt's voice is perfect throughout.

The character development has been revamped from the first game - there are a lot more options and now we have a vast array of items, some of which are crafted. The fighting is more interesting than the first game, though a bit less visually impressive. It feels a bit unresponsive at times, but this is no fighting game, so that can't be considered a big drawback.

Other problems worth mentioning are a few minor bugs and the performance - there are framerate drops in some areas.

Another personal issue I found was Geralt's face, which seems to me a step back from his looks in the first episode. I managed to get used to it and for most people it wouldn't even make a difference.

In conclusion, I must say that "The Witcher 2" is a must play game for all RPG fans and anyone interested in mature story telling and depth of characterization.
  85. May 23, 2011
    First things first. The whole atmosphere is fascinating, the story couldn't be better, the characters are believable, the synch is more or less ok. This game is a must buy category you cant miss it. But there are some drawbacks also. The combat system is a mess especially the targeting system. If you are about to look around in combat to see how many dudes are going to hit your back the targeting system screws up and starts jumping between all characters and tags the farest. It wouldnt be the ultimate problem but if you move your mouse just little it switches target. The boss fights are also a little too challenging. But it worths your many anyway. Just dont be too disappointed with the ending. Expand
  86. May 23, 2011
    The Witcher 2 shows us how overrated some of the other so called 10/10 games are. Truly great game in all areas, the combat is really hard but once you get the hand of it you will really enjoy it and the graphics are the best in RPG History, truly mind-blowing and a great demonstration why we need new consoles already to play games like The Witcher 2 which can only be fully experienced on a powerful PC. Expand
  87. May 23, 2011
    This game is brilliant. I've been waiting for it for a long time. Finally, when Witcher 2 came to me I just say "OMFG thats osom". Very interesting and mature plot. Combat system is much more different than in other cRPG games. If you want to survive you have to think, not just click a mouse button. Graphics is beautiful. I've never seen so colorful and detailed world in game. The best thing about this game it's nolinear - there are 16 various endings! I recommend Witcher 2 for everyone who likes cRPG games, but if you don't like that type it doesn't matter - just buy it - you won't be regret. 10/10 Expand
  88. May 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. bardzo mi siÄ Expand
  89. May 23, 2011
    Amazing story, game and sound, the characters are designed very well. little weak final and sometimes long distances to walk. To understand the story you have to listen very carefully to every dialogue, and you should play the witcher 1 first, but its worth it!
  90. May 23, 2011
    Best RPG i ever played in a long time. My candidate for Game of the Year 2011. Beautyfull graphics, nonlinear and addictive story, innovative combat system, great dialogs are just a few of many advantages.
  91. May 23, 2011
    The combat is demanding and and requires strategy and a use of all your available tools, but the game is infinitely rewarding. This game has better production values than any other RPG you will encounter. Everything from the voice acting to the graphics and lovingly crafted environments are better than even most of the content produced by top tier developers like Bioware
  92. May 23, 2011
    Witcher 2 is an amazing game in every aspect.CDPR have outdone themselves with this on. Its got beautiful graphics, unforgettable landmarks and enjoyable quests and so much more. There is no load screens between areas and above all of these they've improved the combat system that some people were complaining about in the first game(although i liked the combat system). This game is truly a mature game made for adults. Unlike other RPGs, there is no good or evil in witcher 2. You will have to make your own choices and most of the time they could be very tough.

To AMD graphic card users, AMD has already begun working on the new driver and crossfire profile for Witcher 2. So be patient. It will get a big performance boost once the driver is out.

Words said. Go Out and Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  93. May 24, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is simply everything PC gaming was waiting and dying for. And the best thing is that CD-Project didn't have the funds to overhype this game. All the publicity it got and gets is just because of one reason; The Witcher 2 breathes quality. Sure, it has a few bugs and minor downfalls; sometimes Geralt gets stuck, the game crashed to my desktop once and the fighting isn't fantastic.. but hell; the story(telling) is epic, you really get the feeling that your choices do influence the story, the characters are great and the atmosphere is fantastic. And off course the graphics.. AWESOME! This is one of the reason why I play my games on a PC! It really shows what a game can be when it gets developed only for PC only and doesn't have to make concessions for those bloody consoles. In my opinion this game is one of the best games for the last couple of years and deserves to become GOTY 2011.
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK CD-PROJECT!
  94. May 24, 2011
    This is the best RPG I have played in 10 years. The storyline, gameplay, and dialogue are all the best parts of the good old days of RPGs. Except for the graphics, that is. The downside to this is that you need a pretty good machine to experience the graphics, but you will be glad you got that video card upgrade when you see the graphics here. This is a rare case where the sequel blows the original out of the water. I spent 70 dollars on it and I feel like I got a bargain for all this game is worth. Expand
  95. May 24, 2011
    GREAT GAME, MUCH BETTAR THAN OUR PIECE OF **** DWAGON AGE 2 THAT WE PRODUCE IN OUR STUDIOS. MAKE SUW TO BUY ALL OF OUA DLC FOR DWAGON AGE 2: THE REVENGE OF THE ANCIENT EVIL OR WE BAN YOU. END OF RINE
  96. May 24, 2011
    Simply put, one of the best role playing games out there, if not the best. Excellent story that makes you want to keep playing to discover whats happening, very nice combat system that feels fluid (despite some glitches) and graphics that will blow you away. The game has actual choices that lead you up to different paths and change the way it plays on the last 2 chapters. Choices that range from choosing how will you infiltrate a town, to picking what side you will aid in the war. A truly beautiful game which makes me even more anxious to see what this Polish studio will prepare for us in The Witcher 3. Some bugs may appear here and there but reviews that give it "0" are just not justified AT ALL. I can understand a 7-8 for someone that hasn't been able to start it and is angry but below that it's just pure hate. Expand
  97. May 24, 2011
    Best RPG I have played in years. I easily give this game a 10. The best way to describe it would be... Baldur's Gate 2 in a fully realized, beautiful 3D world, with more grit and consequence for your actions. This game will not hold your hand, it will test your intelligence, and if you have been stuck in that easy kills/easy rewards mode from playing more recent RPGs, it will be a breath of fresh air. Sure it's not perfect, but most of its imperfections lie in some menu technicalities, which in my opinion should not bring the score down when compared to all the things this game does in an amazing way: the story, the graphics, the characters, the challenge, and the satisfaction you feel when you slay a group of tough enemies. No joke, this game will have you grinning as you play it. EPIC. Expand
  98. May 25, 2011
    This is simply one of the best games I ever played, definitely best RPG. DA2 is like a watered down compared to this. A definite must buy for RPG fans.
  99. May 25, 2011
    At start i was a bit worried if the game will match it predecessor Witcher 1 but already after few minutes within the prologue i knew this was it. The first thing that strikes you is the graphic ofc stunning textures, lights, shadows and it runs smooth like a butter on an old ahtlon 5600+ (2cores) and radeon 4870x2 +4gig ram. The voice acting and character acting is tons better then in the first part. You dont have anymore the feeling that your in some bad doll house. I never felt Witcher 1 to be OMGRPGSTRATEGIC etc...it was just as much as dynamic as Witcher 2 is. The difference is the removal of the active pause (you get a nice slowmotion now wich is awsome made and gives you an in-action feeling) and the rythmic click wich i hated tbh in Witcher 1. If anyone claims thats what made Witcher 1 a better cRPG then Witcher 2 is then he has no clue what cRPG is and was about. The combat is now more action based i give that but it dosent lack the fun from the first Witcher and the changes CDP implemented are quite good (compared to how dragon age 2 got changed or mass effect 2 > Expand
  100. May 26, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011. One of bests game ive played after a long time, the graphics are amazing, everything is made with passion, so deep and immerse. TW1 is good, but TW2 is better in all aspects. Thank you CD PROJEKT. You are amazing.
  101. May 22, 2011