The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings PC

8.5

1. ion
    May 17, 2011
    It is really hard to point out all qualities of this game because there are that many of them. Magnificent plot and storyline, deep, ambiguous characters, the importance of the choices you make (the choices, let's add, not obvious and not black and white), great minor characters and the gray, bleak yet vivid world in which the real monsters are the human beings. If we add to it marvelousIt is really hard to point out all qualities of this game because there are that many of them. Magnificent plot and storyline, deep, ambiguous characters, the importance of the choices you make (the choices, let's add, not obvious and not black and white), great minor characters and the gray, bleak yet vivid world in which the real monsters are the human beings. If we add to it marvelous graphics, well-made soundtrack and a demanding gameplay (you really have to use all your equipment and magic skills when facing a tough opponent or a bunch of them) we get one of the most amazing cRPG games in the last decade. The Witcher 2 is the masterpiece and as such, should stand alongside other masterpieces like Baldur's Gate, Fallout 2, KOTOR and Planescape: Torment. I hope that the game will become a huge success not only as a piece of art, but also as a product, so that we'll see more astonishing works from this small studio. Expand
  2. May 18, 2011
    To be very honest, i wasnt expecting too much. I played the first The Witcher few years ago and it was good, nothing new , nothing brilliant it was a good game. But when i played The Witcher 2 it was just a new experience of gaming. The deepth of the story is just incredible, the possibility of choices in this game are incredible high, the atmosphere is just incredible dense its just aTo be very honest, i wasnt expecting too much. I played the first The Witcher few years ago and it was good, nothing new , nothing brilliant it was a good game. But when i played The Witcher 2 it was just a new experience of gaming. The deepth of the story is just incredible, the possibility of choices in this game are incredible high, the atmosphere is just incredible dense its just a beautiful game. The combat is great and intuitive a big improvement when you look at the first The Witcher. The graphics are just gorgeous, the design of the world , including environment, buildings, armors is really on of the best i ever saw. Its clearly on of the best Role Playing Games i ever experienced. So i can just say: Guys, buy this game and support the developers! Expand
  3. May 18, 2011
    One of the best game I have ever played. Story is realy non-linear (yes DA - you can learn from W2), graphics is great, characters are high detailed and almost alive. Combat was improved and now it is really nice.
    Brawo!
  4. May 18, 2011
    This game is a classic. People who are posting zeroes should just calm down. There's no way that bioware employees would be posting those marks. More like overzealous bioware fans who are threatened. This game deserves a complete 10. It's the best game i've played since oblivion, and dare I say it, baldur's gate. I get the distinct feeling that bethesda are playing this game rightThis game is a classic. People who are posting zeroes should just calm down. There's no way that bioware employees would be posting those marks. More like overzealous bioware fans who are threatened. This game deserves a complete 10. It's the best game i've played since oblivion, and dare I say it, baldur's gate. I get the distinct feeling that bethesda are playing this game right now and todd howard just said "new release date for skyrim folks...12/12/12" :) Expand
  5. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a masterpiece. Superb graphics and audio, non-linear story, mature choices and consequences. Witcher 2 is a game for hardcore RPG fans, but in the same time it's accessible so that anyone can play it. If you are a gamer, buy this game.

Angry Bioware fans, you don't realize that you are damaging your favorite company by boycotting Witcher 2 score like this. Many people will do the same for your favorite games, if you don't stop your rampage. In the end, all games will have lower scores.
  6. rq3
    May 18, 2011
    Mature story, dark world, not so shallow as BioWare production. Based on great novelty. It's real RPG! It's everything that BioWare's game failed to be.
    Great graphic
    Great story
    Great system
    Great music
    So many diffrent endings...
    Who needs more?
  7. May 18, 2011
    This game really is very good, a must buy for any REAL fan of the RPG Genre.
    The graphics are absolutely STUNNING. Plenty of customization to be had to ensure a decent frame rate.
    The storyline is first class, voice acting and lines are also very good. The use of Quick Time Events was a very welcome addition in my opinion. And, to top off what already is a great game, the developers have
    This game really is very good, a must buy for any REAL fan of the RPG Genre.
    The storyline is first class, voice acting and lines are also very good.
    The use of Quick Time Events was a very welcome addition in my opinion.
    And, to top off what already is a great game, the developers have issued the game without the troublesome DRM that is plaguing the PC Gaming Industry.
    To all the Bioware fan boys out there, man up and take your heads out of your asses.
  8. s1n
    May 18, 2011
    Ok, I'll try to be as specific as I can with my review so I can help those who haven't made a decision yet:

1. Optimization - the game runs smooth on MID details on my 2x3.0 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, RadeonHD 4850, Win XP. And by MID details in The Witcher 2 I mean HIGH in many other blockbuster titles - the looks of the game are simply astounding! A few minor bugs will probably be handled with the first patch, but they don't screw up the whole picture at all.

2. Story - it nails you to the chair from the very beginning. Mature, deep, with characters that have their own affairs and motivation. The game provokes REAL emotions, with some of the scenes so deeply moving! This is a game, that you will remember long after you finished it!

3. Choices & non-linearity - finally they are real! This is not a typical Mass Effect thing, where the only choice you had was to be uber-polite or **** in dialogues, but no matter what you "chose" the outcome was the same and the story went on. Here you make REAL choices, that change the story completely at some points, make you visit different locations and meet different characters throughout the game. And typically for Geralt's world - usually you have to choose between two evils. 4. Audio - music & voice acting are from the top shelf. Period. 5. World design - with a huge attention to details, you can see passion and hard work put into the world design every corner you turn. All that crafting combined with very good ambience sounds make The Witcher 2 the most immersive RPG I have played.

6. Combat system - some people say it's too hard and chaotic, but I find it well balanced between action and some strategic thinking. The action factor is more visible, but hey - don't you think that swinging swords, casting spells and trying to slay your opponent is ALL about action?

7. Character development - the system is clear and gives you many options to develop Geralt the way you feel comfortable to play. 8. Overall - if you could call a game epic - this is the one. Not in the "internet" meaning of epic being something incredibly good(well, this too), but actually epic. The game has scale, ambition, and it has those little moments that make you just sit there in front of your screen with your hands off the keyboard and mouse and ADMIRE IT. If you can consider games an art - this is the masterpiece. Crafted with love and making those 30 hours of your life spent on it richer.

(wonder if anyone actually read this till the end :) )
  9. May 22, 2011
    One of the best RPG i ve played since Gothic, Morrowind and Risen. Finally somebody showed those mainstream, brainwashed developers how good RPGs are made.

Thanks!
  10. May 28, 2011
    This game made me excited again , to play a real rpg on PC , Graphic outstanding the best I have ever seen comparing this to Dragon age 2 or 1 graphic is unfair ..
    Sound are also great , I enjoy ambient sounds , sword sheathing , everything is done nicely
    Control : I don't know why so many complains about control , it response very well Story : One of the most amazing story in Game history , your choices mean something , bad may be good , and good may be bad .
    Game play : I find the game not that hard , if you go button smashing of course you will die ,
    you need to think , prepare yourself before the battles , make bombs , traps , and poisons .
    Improvement from the first game : the world is more realistic , Geralt can interact with many things , like climbing , sneaking , knocking enemies , light fire . these all knew things .
    Improvement for the Alchemy and mediation system . you don't need Alcohol for making potions .
  11. May 19, 2011
    This might well be among the best role playing games i have ever played. The Atmosphere is great, the characters are authentic and the storyline is, while not extremely original, interesting to follow. Spice that up with a few well thought side quests and you got yourself a great game.

There are, however, some problems. First of all, the game is going to come out for consoles too and therefore the whole interface has been developed for that. Its bulky and in some cases downright illogical (why is there no 'junk' filter in the inventory?! or a sell all 'junk' button?!). Then there are some action sequences we already know from console games (press the button shown on the screen or die).

Well. The fights are pretty hard and sometimes you will be confronted with enemies that are almost impossible to beat at that time. Which is ok - but can present a nasty surprise. While Witcher I allowed you to play almost with no potions at all, you will need all your skill with traps and pots and bombs to even make it out of the introduction...

So, all in all, a very good game... which i can recommend.
  12. May 19, 2011
    I've been waiting for this game for almost five years now. Aside from the botched Rise of the White Wolf console edition, the original Witcher game and two more editions there after changed the way I see and play role-playing games.

Fast forward to 2011 which is a great year for CDPR, The Witcher 2 has done the impossible. A stunning beautifully rendered game that's an achievement of its own. A game that genuinely captivates the imagination and sucks you in with its clever mature story telling.

Although it was a smooth launch, there are unavoidable software glitches that came with it like poor performance on high-end nvidia and ati cards, scores of quest bugs, and occasional crashes. CDPR assured the community that they are looking into these problems and would address them in the coming days or weeks. Don't let the light software problem prevent you from playing this magnificent game though.
  13. May 22, 2011
    At first I was disapointed with the fighting mechanics and poor tutorial but then I realized what a wonderful RPG this game is! Fantastic game!
    + STORY
    + DIALOGS + MUSIC + WORLD AND CHARACTER DESIGN + non-linearity + GUI estetics + map window and journal + short loading times - VERY DIFFICULT - low responsiveness - fighting mechanics - TUTORIAL - AI bugs - waiting for dead opponents to
    + STORY
    + DIALOGS
    + MUSIC
    + WORLD AND CHARACTER DESIGN
    + non-linearity
    + GUI estetics
    + map window and journal
    + short loading times

- VERY DIFFICULT
    - low responsiveness
    - fighting mechanics
    - TUTORIAL
    - AI bugs
    - waiting for dead opponents to disappear in order to harvest them...?!
  14. May 21, 2011
    A very good RPG with an excellent story, I found myself as drawn in as with the first Witcher game. The combat is a little difficult to get used too at first but this is the only initial hurdle, unlike most RPG's out there this is actually challenging and you feel as if you accomplished something after a difficult fight because it takes skill to win. (your not just guzzling down healthA very good RPG with an excellent story, I found myself as drawn in as with the first Witcher game. The combat is a little difficult to get used too at first but this is the only initial hurdle, unlike most RPG's out there this is actually challenging and you feel as if you accomplished something after a difficult fight because it takes skill to win. (your not just guzzling down health potions like 'some' unimaginative rpg's) It is at times dark and gritty, and I love it that way. You feel a part of the story. Expand
  15. May 21, 2011
    One of the greatest RPGs of this year so far, Great storyline and good use of decisions to affect the outcome of certain effects, Excellent beautiful graphics and memorable characters, Good side quests keeps things interesting and a good selection of weapons and armor.
  16. May 22, 2011
    Absolutely phenomenal game, made â
  17. May 22, 2011
    Great sequel to a solid game. Witcher 2 has breathtaking graphics. Story is great and has much replayability due to your choices. Good community. Only con is a small studio about to be overwhelmed with success. The initial sales has put a lot of stress on their infrastructure.

A definite buy!!!
  18. May 22, 2011
    In the past few years, RPG fans have begun to worry that their favorite genre is becoming watered down, using recent games like Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2 as evidence. The Witcher 2 breaths new life into the genre. Tactical combat, convincing dialogue, towering boss fights and an intriguing narrative separate this ambitious game from it's competition. If Bethesda's RPGs are the pinnacle ofIn the past few years, RPG fans have begun to worry that their favorite genre is becoming watered down, using recent games like Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2 as evidence. The Witcher 2 breaths new life into the genre. Tactical combat, convincing dialogue, towering boss fights and an intriguing narrative separate this ambitious game from it's competition. If Bethesda's RPGs are the pinnacle of freedom, then CD Projekt Red may just have displaced Bioware as the pinnacle of RPG narrative. Does the future of the RPG genre lie, not in America or Japan, but Europe? The Witcher 2 certainly presents a strong argument for this. Expand
  19. May 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great story, fight system, quests, Triss and other NPCs. Graphics is amazing, music and sounds are perfect, minigames are interesting. This game deserves to be Game of the year, but for me, the Witcher is better... Expand
  20. May 22, 2011
    This game went from my favourite to my least favourite game. I played through it thinking there would be a massive battle near the end, but instead you get the 'to be continued' feeling you get from crap tv shows. The only difference, is that with a game you have to wait years rather than days for the continuation. (My review gets better) This was a amazingly good game, don't getThis game went from my favourite to my least favourite game. I played through it thinking there would be a massive battle near the end, but instead you get the 'to be continued' feeling you get from crap tv shows. The only difference, is that with a game you have to wait years rather than days for the continuation. (My review gets better) This was a amazingly good game, don't get me wrong (that's why i still gave it a 9/10): The graphics were rich and colourful, the characters were well developed and intriguing, the voice acting was above decent, the combat system was fun but sometimes a bit glitchy, the storyline was a bit hard to follow, but in no doubt very advanced and deep. I found the tutorials to move a bit quickly, so i had to google how to use mutagens, potions, etc. During dialogue, i found that characters would use the same hand motions each time you would talk to them. Over all, this game is godly, and you should buy it whenever you get the chance (or wait till the third comes out, then play them all in sequence). I do feel like the last several days of mine were wasted however, trying to achieve a goal that didn't even exist. I give 9/10 for the most addictive game of all time, with market-leading graphics that are very memorable. Expand
  21. May 22, 2011
    I didn't play much in the last few years simply because of the fact that there wasn't a game that could keep me entertained for a long time. Luckily it has changed due to W2. There are no words that can describe how good the game is: the plot, graphics and music are very well combined together. It's like in the old times when games where created for gamers by gamers and not only to bringI didn't play much in the last few years simply because of the fact that there wasn't a game that could keep me entertained for a long time. Luckily it has changed due to W2. There are no words that can describe how good the game is: the plot, graphics and music are very well combined together. It's like in the old times when games where created for gamers by gamers and not only to bring profits selling weak products. Don't hesitate and buy W2, you won't regret it. And BTW, good job CDProjekt ! Expand
  22. May 22, 2011
    A few nitpicks aside this is easily one of the best games let alone rpg's of this gaming generation. Great graphics and presentation(make sure you bring a monster rig if you plan to "MAX" it). Good controls and combat mechanics allowing you play with multiple styles and use several types of weapons tho be warned the game doesnt do a great job in teaching these to the player so expect aA few nitpicks aside this is easily one of the best games let alone rpg's of this gaming generation. Great graphics and presentation(make sure you bring a monster rig if you plan to "MAX" it). Good controls and combat mechanics allowing you play with multiple styles and use several types of weapons tho be warned the game doesnt do a great job in teaching these to the player so expect a trial by fire beginning. Great characters with good writing, voice acting and some of the best choice/consequence gameplay in the industry. Refreshingly mature tone that treats the gamer like an adult and doesnt constantly hold your hand. A good 25-35hour singleplayer with nice replay value. The only reason i didnt give it a 10 is because of the last 1/5 of the game in which it feels a bit rushed. Its not horrible, but it should have been fleshed out much better. Expand
  23. May 22, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an absolutely incredible game, with nearly every aspect surpassing the first game. While the combat is vastly superior to the previous game, there are still issues, primarily with targeting and difficulty ramping. These minor flaws do not however distract from the overall game, including it's incredible story that is probably the best from any game since Baldur's Gate 2 orThe Witcher 2 is an absolutely incredible game, with nearly every aspect surpassing the first game. While the combat is vastly superior to the previous game, there are still issues, primarily with targeting and difficulty ramping. These minor flaws do not however distract from the overall game, including it's incredible story that is probably the best from any game since Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape :Torment. The game is a definite contender for Game of the Year and so far at least, has absolutely no competition. As for performance - I am using a Nvidia 470GT with the May 17 beta drivers, everything but Ubersampling turned on max the frame rate is at a stable 60 with minimal stuttering during area loads. Expand
  24. May 23, 2011
    Absolutely unequaled in story telling and atmosphere! This game has a level of writing that would be an unachievable goal for a lot of fantasy books. The plot is drawing heavily from the Middle Ages and mixes the fantasy elements seamlessly. You may find the excessive violence and profanity repulsive, but it makes for a lot more realistic and immersive experience - the people in this gameAbsolutely unequaled in story telling and atmosphere! This game has a level of writing that would be an unachievable goal for a lot of fantasy books. The plot is drawing heavily from the Middle Ages and mixes the fantasy elements seamlessly. You may find the excessive violence and profanity repulsive, but it makes for a lot more realistic and immersive experience - the people in this game are far closer to their historic prototypes than the idealized icons we have grown to accept as characters in the cliche fantasy games. They eat, drink, swear, have bodily needs and all the rest of it. I would compare the world to George Martin's fantasy saga. Quite obviously, the authors are very well read in history.

Graphics are extremely impressive, both artistically and technically. Music is of the highest quality and it is used very well, complementing the experience - joyful in the taverns, creepy in the dungeons and aggressive during fights. Voice acting is very good with minor exceptions, but fortunately Geralt's voice is perfect throughout.

The character development has been revamped from the first game - there are a lot more options and now we have a vast array of items, some of which are crafted. The fighting is more interesting than the first game, though a bit less visually impressive. It feels a bit unresponsive at times, but this is no fighting game, so that can't be considered a big drawback.

Other problems worth mentioning are a few minor bugs and the performance - there are framerate drops in some areas.

Another personal issue I found was Geralt's face, which seems to me a step back from his looks in the first episode. I managed to get used to it and for most people it wouldn't even make a difference.

In conclusion, I must say that "The Witcher 2" is a must play game for all RPG fans and anyone interested in mature story telling and depth of characterization.
  25. May 23, 2011
    This game is brilliant. I've been waiting for it for a long time. Finally, when Witcher 2 came to me I just say "OMFG thats osom". Very interesting and mature plot. Combat system is much more different than in other cRPG games. If you want to survive you have to think, not just click a mouse button. Graphics is beautiful. I've never seen so colorful and detailed world in game. The bestThis game is brilliant. I've been waiting for it for a long time. Finally, when Witcher 2 came to me I just say "OMFG thats osom". Very interesting and mature plot. Combat system is much more different than in other cRPG games. If you want to survive you have to think, not just click a mouse button. Graphics is beautiful. I've never seen so colorful and detailed world in game. The best thing about this game it's nolinear - there are 16 various endings! I recommend Witcher 2 for everyone who likes cRPG games, but if you don't like that type it doesn't matter - just buy it - you won't be regret. 10/10 Expand
  26. May 23, 2011
    Amazing story, game and sound, the characters are designed very well. little weak final and sometimes long distances to walk. To understand the story you have to listen very carefully to every dialogue, and you should play the witcher 1 first, but its worth it!
  27. May 25, 2011
    At start i was a bit worried if the game will match it predecessor Witcher 1 but already after few minutes within the prologue i knew this was it. The first thing that strikes you is the graphic ofc stunning textures, lights, shadows and it runs smooth like a butter on an old ahtlon 5600+ (2cores) and radeon 4870x2 +4gig ram. The voice acting and character acting is tons better then in theAt start i was a bit worried if the game will match it predecessor Witcher 1 but already after few minutes within the prologue i knew this was it. The first thing that strikes you is the graphic ofc stunning textures, lights, shadows and it runs smooth like a butter on an old ahtlon 5600+ (2cores) and radeon 4870x2 +4gig ram. The voice acting and character acting is tons better then in the first part. You dont have anymore the feeling that your in some bad doll house. I never felt Witcher 1 to be OMGRPGSTRATEGIC etc...it was just as much as dynamic as Witcher 2 is. The difference is the removal of the active pause (you get a nice slowmotion now wich is awsome made and gives you an in-action feeling) and the rythmic click wich i hated tbh in Witcher 1. If anyone claims thats what made Witcher 1 a better cRPG then Witcher 2 is then he has no clue what cRPG is and was about. The combat is now more action based i give that but it dosent lack the fun from the first Witcher and the changes CDP implemented are quite good (compared to how dragon age 2 got changed or mass effect 2 > Expand
  28. Apr 17, 2012
    My favorite game on the PC by far. Everything is great! Best graphics, story and gameplay in a game ever created. There is nothing like it on the consoles. Shame this game will be completely overlooked.
  29. Aug 14, 2011
    !! Game of the Year !! Epic story , great gameplay and amazing graphics . It's all you need to say that fresh game can be still created among all those fps. waiting to see the Witcher 3, cause this game is the best what gamer can get into his hands
  30. Aug 8, 2011
    I really must congratulate CDprojekt they have done an outstanding job. This is definitely the best game I have ever played. The graphics made me spend hours wandering in the forests of Flotsram ( I admit they are so good I actually got lost in the forest), the combat is what all RPGs should have, not the DPS type but actual swordsmanship you strike, you duck or you die. The other aspectsI really must congratulate CDprojekt they have done an outstanding job. This is definitely the best game I have ever played. The graphics made me spend hours wandering in the forests of Flotsram ( I admit they are so good I actually got lost in the forest), the combat is what all RPGs should have, not the DPS type but actual swordsmanship you strike, you duck or you die. The other aspects of traps, bombs, signs, potions and oils etc are also a welcome addition to the complexity of battle ( I was getting frustrated with the mindless consolized games that are coming out of late with dummed down combat, no need to state names DA2 you know yourselves) And last but not least the story just wraps it all up into one amazing spectacle of brilliance. Expand
  31. Aug 10, 2011
    Very good game and worth your money. The story is interestin, characters are very memorable and all in all a very good game. A bit to short but thats about the only negative thing there is to say.
  32. May 8, 2012
    Excellent game all around.

Excellent graphics, very good combat system. Great voice acting and character design. Beats Skyrim on all fronts. My only gripe with it is the story it wasn't as engaging as the one in original Witcher and the ending is something murky. That was however to be expected since there is no doubt will be the third installment in the game and developers wanted to
    Excellent game all around.

My only gripe with it is the story it wasn't as engaging as the one in original Witcher and the ending is something murky. That was however to be expected since there is no doubt will be the third installment in the game and developers wanted to keep storylines open for that.

Worth every cent of it.
  33. Aug 10, 2011
    My problem with this game is this: I like it too much. The game is so awesome, now I have read people saying that it doesn't have the charm that TW1 does. To me, it is the opposite, I bought TW1 in spring, before TW2 came out. I played it, since I could get it rather cheaply, to see if I could enjoy the combat system (it is rather unique for an RPG). I thought that it was ok, but I haveMy problem with this game is this: I like it too much. The game is so awesome, now I have read people saying that it doesn't have the charm that TW1 does. To me, it is the opposite, I bought TW1 in spring, before TW2 came out. I played it, since I could get it rather cheaply, to see if I could enjoy the combat system (it is rather unique for an RPG). I thought that it was ok, but I have only 3 hours logged in TW1. I have 28 hours in TW2, and they just keep rolling in.
    I will say what I dislike: I dislike the fact that it crashes sometimes, sometimes when finishing dialogue I get a black screen, sometimes my char doesn't do what I tell him to do (controls could use some work). None of those dislikes matter one bit though. I keep wanting more, I keep wanting to play more, I keep trying to figure out ways to get the graphics to look even better than they do (to me its a game that needs to be played as maxed out as possible, because it is gorgeous). I have been able to run it at max settings without uber sampling, by tweaking windows settings and such. The game is jaw droppingly beautiful. It has a distinctly RP feel to it, and you quickly get caught up in the story and all of its intricacies.

I think the best way I can put this is like this: I played TW1 and decided that TW1 and 2 was probably not for me, no harm down. I later on bought TW2 and have played it extensively since, I have decided that this game is exactly a game for me, I have also decided to try and delve deeper into the story by playing TW1 (get a save game for TW2 and then play TW2 AGAIN! hehe), and quite possibly buying the books too.

10/10 from me.
  34. May 31, 2011
    Almost perfect game. Beautiful, state of the art graphics and masterful art. Mesmerizing story and memorable characters. Playing as Geralt of Rivia is both a rewarding and an unforgettable experience. Quests are deeper and more realistic than any other game outside. Treats the player as an adult. Combat is hard yet enjoyable and challenging. Very unlinear story, good choice&consequence andAlmost perfect game. Beautiful, state of the art graphics and masterful art. Mesmerizing story and memorable characters. Playing as Geralt of Rivia is both a rewarding and an unforgettable experience. Quests are deeper and more realistic than any other game outside. Treats the player as an adult. Combat is hard yet enjoyable and challenging. Very unlinear story, good choice&consequence and tons of replay value.Free DLC! Amazing premium and collector's edition content. The Cons: Still 1.1 version hasn´t solved all the bugs; there're not many, but some. Expand
  35. May 28, 2011
    Perfect RPG, from the adult oriented story to the superb graphics. GOTY for sure. No other game comes close to touching TW:AoK. Do yourself a favor, trade in your copy of Dragon Age 2, or simply break it in half, then go get The Witcher 2. Do it to it.
  36. Oct 16, 2011
    This game has a fantastic story for you to become apart of, the way you interact with npc's is very binding and holds you further into the game, the lifespan of the game is very short, the game is relatively easy and the side missions are stories within themselves, however, this game i felt lacked in a certain area, don't get me wrong this game is fun to play looks fantastic and draws youThis game has a fantastic story for you to become apart of, the way you interact with npc's is very binding and holds you further into the game, the lifespan of the game is very short, the game is relatively easy and the side missions are stories within themselves, however, this game i felt lacked in a certain area, don't get me wrong this game is fun to play looks fantastic and draws you into a very deep story, the lack however comes from a lot of new rpgs will allow more freedom and places to go, for example Assassin's Creed Brotherhood which came out at similar time to The Witcher 2, offers you a epic story better fighting, and the freedom to go to multiple towns etc, Another thing i felt hurt this game a little was the graphics, they look FANTASTIC, but i am running a hi spec machine and some things still became laggy and put stress on the GPU, people playing this game on laptops and middle ranged PC's will struggle to enjoy this game. All in all, this game is brilliant with some minor annoyances that can be easily forgiven and ignored. Can't wait for the third installment. Expand
  37. Jun 5, 2011
    I never did play the first game and picked this one up on a whim. So glad I did though, this game is amazing. From the graphics and sound to the game play this is one of the better games I've ever played. Like another person on here stated this is what Dragon Age II should of been like. I'd defiantly have to put this in the running for game of the year.
  38. Jun 5, 2011
    If you enjoyed The Witcher (1), The Witcher 2 will be an absolutely thrilling experience.

The Gameplay: While the combat system in the series has never been my personal favorite, it has been massively improved from the original game. The controls in general were much easier to handle, and the use of signs and fast/strong sword style was much easier. The skill trees were balanced and made much more sense than its predecessor. If you play the game on easy mode, it will seem very hack-and-slash like. Playing on normal balances out the "hack and slash" and the need for signs and potions in combat. For a genuine challenge, the difficult setting makes every combat experience strategic and epic. The Graphics/Settings:

Stunning. Each map/chapter is completely unique, and much larger than it may initially appear. You can see that a lot of work went into the design. There is so much to explore. It's not an open-world game like Oblivion or Fallout:New Vegas. However, for being enclosed, it sure does have a lot to offer. The characters look very realistic... to the point where I can't even bare to look at DA2's anymore without feeling they are either way cartoony or outdated. Also, The Witcher 2 isn't afraid to show you some T&A, or even some good ol' bump and grind. Now DA2 looks *really* silly in that regard.
    The Characters:
    You play as Geralt in the series, but not without your own flavor of his reactions/personality. He is always somewhat sarcastic, but you can be the "good/fair" guy or the "do this or I'll beat you senseless" guy. Also, using the Axii sign in conversation (think Obi Wan's "These are not the droids you are looking for") makes it a nice middle-road option to get straight to the point/your objective. The dialogue can also be quite humorous. The non-playable characters are well drawn out and believable, with many facets to their person other than the limited persona we see all too often. The voice acting is incredible.

The Story:

This is the best part of the game. There are multiple storylines to follow, so multiple play-throughs will be necessary to get the entire experience. What you do/the decisions you make can have a huge effect on what will come next, where you will be, and the quests that will be available. Regardless of which path you take, this game is so engrossing you'll easily lose track of time as you play.

Comparison to DA2... (for the curious)

What can I say? At first, I thought DA2 was OK -- Dragon Age gone Mass Effect 2. Experiencing the graphics, characters, and storyline from Witcher 2 makes me feel like I wasted my money/time playing DA2. However, I personally prefer a more mature game with a preset appearance/character because I'm not looking to create an identity within a game. For gamers looking for more customization of their character -- DA2 is better, but not nearly as good as DA:O.
  39. TIZ
    Jul 3, 2011
    This game doesn't get a 10 for a few simple reasons...but first graphics, gameplay and storyline are very good no complaints there. Only have to say a bit broken mechanics and its actually very harsh marking it down by even 1 point on this but still had 2 find something wrong haha...graphics are amazing no lag on Ultra and my computer is not special or a mini supercomputer or anything likeThis game doesn't get a 10 for a few simple reasons...but first graphics, gameplay and storyline are very good no complaints there. Only have to say a bit broken mechanics and its actually very harsh marking it down by even 1 point on this but still had 2 find something wrong haha...graphics are amazing no lag on Ultra and my computer is not special or a mini supercomputer or anything like that. My system is i5 760 @3.3GHz (Overclocked) , 8GB, GTX560 (overclocked) Expand
  40. Jun 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion, the best rpg game of all time and presumably GOTY 2011 winner, CDProject Red took what is best from the Sapkowski's sage, combined it with great graphics , created a beautiful story that is deeply rooted in the Witcher's universe, the Witcher 1 was great, the Witcher 2 is much better, however not perfect, but let's be honest, have you seen a game without errors? I haven't.. The demanding combat system, user-friendly crafting, beautiful sceneries and figures, all of that induce to the above score . and don't listen to the haters all around there, support CDPR, buy the Witcher 2, experience the adventure of your life and allow them to create another astonishing part of this game. Expand
  41. Jun 6, 2011
    CD Projekt drew a line in the sand with this masterpiece, and the RPG world will never be the same again. The graphics and game play are everything they said it would be and beyond anything I imagined possible. This game makes sweet love to your system. Stunning graphics and an innovative, almost alien, game engine puts this game on the pantheon with the other great RPGs of the lastCD Projekt drew a line in the sand with this masterpiece, and the RPG world will never be the same again. The graphics and game play are everything they said it would be and beyond anything I imagined possible. This game makes sweet love to your system. Stunning graphics and an innovative, almost alien, game engine puts this game on the pantheon with the other great RPGs of the last decade, the provocative, engaging, and mature storyline, puts it head and shoulders above them. Gamers are growing up, I am 28 now, it's great to have a game developer growing with us. Thank you CD Projekt. Expand
  42. Jun 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. very good maded history, there is some technical bugs like a thievery the houses, high rigs requirements, no possibility to drink mixtures durring fight so you have to be prepared for all the time , poor equipment, no tutorial so for me it was annoying think to have full equip and dont know how to use it, specially mixtures, very hard fight against many even week enemies, etc... but the story and great music compensate thoose thinks, ANYWAY it was so close to made PERFECT GAME..... Expand
  43. Jun 12, 2011
    The witcher 2 is certainly a great improvement and worthy sequel of the original game. There really isn't much to say that hasn't already be said. Visually (if your PC can handle it) it's one of the most beautiful game I've seen for awhile. As for the gameplay itself, there is a learning curve in the beginning, but it would only get easier. I for one enjoy the difficultly of the gameThe witcher 2 is certainly a great improvement and worthy sequel of the original game. There really isn't much to say that hasn't already be said. Visually (if your PC can handle it) it's one of the most beautiful game I've seen for awhile. As for the gameplay itself, there is a learning curve in the beginning, but it would only get easier. I for one enjoy the difficultly of the game because it require you to think and be wary of your actions. Simply put, this isn't Star Wars force unleash where you can dive into 50 enemies and comes out unscratched. For those new to RPG, I recommend turning down the difficulty but trust me, that in the end you will actually feel a sense of accomplishment. The only bones I have to pick with this game is of the story narration. If you're not familiar with the background story, even if you played the original game you would feel lost often because there are simply just too many names being thrown around. I had to read up on wiki and play the game a few times just to understand everything involve. The gameplay itself isn't perfect either. When in battle, sometimes it's very difficult to target a single enemy even if you lock on them. Also, the inventory interface is just too clunky and should be sorted better. If you picked up too many items, especially junk item, it's a pain to find it in your inventory to sell/drop them. Overall despite some of these problems, it does not take much away from how good the game is. I will not spoil anything but this is one of the few games that requires multiple play-through to fully enjoy everything the developers have put into it. In conclusion, this is a must buy RPG game. Expand
  44. Jun 13, 2011
    I write this, having just finished the game but a moment ago.
    I would give this game a 9.7
    Visuals: The vistas have but one description that can suit them: epic. You will visit some masterfully crafted environments, and I had several moments where I had to stop and just, gaze. The graphics are on par with the best the system can throw at you. Audio: The voices are well done, though the
    I write this, having just finished the game but a moment ago.
    I would give this game a 9.7
    Audio: The voices are well done, though the developer is Polish the game avoids the "poor voice over" syndrome so commonly found in ports. The voices are strong enough that they feel natural and at no point interfere with immersion.
    Story: There are some meaningful themes that run across the series, and often there is no right, only the lesser of two evils. Though I do not know how much my choices truly changed the outcome, the story is still one of the best of all the games I have ever played. This game is a saga of the White Wolf, and it made me think.
    Between the story, and the audiovisual component, this game puts CDProject Red on par with Bioware as master story craftsmen. Gameplay: Once you get used to the controls, the fighting is seamless enough, though this is where the .3 was subtracted from the game as artifacts of the eventual port to 360 are present in the PC version. The mouse feels "off" as best I can describe it, too fast when selecting but too slow a camera if you adjust for the selection. The interface lacks a few basic things, like quickload. The game doesn't do as good a job as I'd have liked of explaining some of the more complex components, it was not until the third act that I figured out how to use mutagens. The mouse feels underused, and there is a sense that the game is designed with a gamepad in mind but not to such an extent as other similar ports. The developers seem to have at least tried to stay true to the PC roots.
    There is a reason that my cons contribute but 3% of the score. When the game is taken as a whole, the massive amount done right far outweighs the little annoyances. If you like deep, meaningful RPGs, this game is a godsend.
    I'm now going to go design my own dice poker board.
  45. Jun 15, 2011
    It's been four years since the first Witcher game opened to warm reception in 2007. The PC exclusive action-RPG featured a new combat style, deeply evolving and open-ended paths, and a powerful protagonist with some brutal decisions to make.

The Witcher 2 has proven CDProjekt as a powerhouse developer in the RPG arena. This fledgling developer has improved upon the original Witcher in almost every way possible, bringing us a climactic and thrilling adventure that both action and RPG fans alike will appreciate.

See the full text of the review here: http://boredomsadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-witcher-2-tw2.html
  46. Aug 13, 2011
    Brilliant game, great pacing, great quests, my favorite part? The ambiguity of what it means to be "good" or "evil". Instead of the usual choice between "goodie two shoes" and "completely evil bastard" with nothing in between, you actually have to make choices between shades of grey and live with the consequences. I was actually beginning to lose hope that we'd never see a truly great RPGBrilliant game, great pacing, great quests, my favorite part? The ambiguity of what it means to be "good" or "evil". Instead of the usual choice between "goodie two shoes" and "completely evil bastard" with nothing in between, you actually have to make choices between shades of grey and live with the consequences. I was actually beginning to lose hope that we'd never see a truly great RPG again. Definitely raises the bar of what an RPG can be. Expand
  47. Jun 22, 2011
    Simply the best game i've played in a long time.The epic music and colourful graphics really enhances your experience. Can't believe anyone would rate this game under 90%. its definitely not perfect but its pretty much near close to it.
  48. Jun 24, 2011
    one of the best games i've played in a very long time.
    this in ways reminds me of the original fable, which is one of my all time favourites. the world is not open by any means, but almost feels as though it is. the storyline is amazing, and it's told in such a great way.
    one of the best games i've played in a very long time.
    the characters are faultless, i love the dwarves. the minigames are alright too, dice poker, boxing and arm wrestling. a little bit on the easy side. but the ultimate freedom to choose, and have your decisions influence the story's progression is excellent. love the combat system. this wont get GOTY because of battlefield 3 and mw3 being released in october/november. but it really should.

as far as rpg's go, this is one of the best
  49. Jun 28, 2011
    An amazing piece of fantasy RPG art. Visually stunning, engaging combat, a fair amount of area to explore and a strong visceral atmosphere. Easily the best Fantasy RPG out this year if not since Oblivion. From looking at the bad user reviews (as there really are not any scathing critic reviews) most of these folks probably couldn't handle the challange of the game. For the first time inAn amazing piece of fantasy RPG art. Visually stunning, engaging combat, a fair amount of area to explore and a strong visceral atmosphere. Easily the best Fantasy RPG out this year if not since Oblivion. From looking at the bad user reviews (as there really are not any scathing critic reviews) most of these folks probably couldn't handle the challange of the game. For the first time in quite a while I found myself actually challanged by the quests and some of the bigger boss fights. Occasionally you have to search around to find quest solutions i.e. there isn't a stupid arrow on your map or god-forbid a golden trail and the more significant boss fights require preparation and strategy. This game stands out as a solid PC game that for me at least doesn't feel like a console port, which many recent games have. Highly recommended if you are a fan of the genre at all. Expand
  50. Jun 30, 2011
    Though I had some difficulties with the first part of witcher, which resulted in not finishing it, I still can say that it was an above average game. However the situation changes drastically with the second installation of the game. Witcher 2 is a superb game in every aspect. Storytelling, Music, Atmosphere, Characters (I won't say that they are the greatest I have ever encountered butThough I had some difficulties with the first part of witcher, which resulted in not finishing it, I still can say that it was an above average game. However the situation changes drastically with the second installation of the game. Witcher 2 is a superb game in every aspect. Storytelling, Music, Atmosphere, Characters (I won't say that they are the greatest I have ever encountered but they certainly are enjoyable and at least i can remember there names, which is not the case with all RPG games). I played this game on lower medium (or even minimum) setting but still found it highly enjoyable, I cannot but envy those who will go through this game on maximum settings. Though I highly enjoyed this game, it goes without saying that there are downturn as well. there are some technical glitches, which i believe can be fixed by patches ( I read that if you have steam account 9 GB, yes 9 GB of patches are available for you). Another problem for me was that, though as mentioned above I enjoyed story I did feel that I was not getting the whole picture all the time, there were to many names, to many kingdoms to whose background I was not introduced, but it did felt me with desire to read books and to get stronger grasp on the world of Andrzej Sapkowski. Expand
  51. Jul 5, 2011
    One of the best game I've played since Dragon Age Origins and Neverwinter Nights. The graphics are amazing, the storyline is the intelligent and the action is awesome. The history really changes with your decisions and choices. I was immerse on the scenes and surprises in the history. I recomend this game for all people! Play it!!!
  52. Jul 6, 2011
    Fantastic game! Highly recommended. Bioware fanboys should suck it up and admit da2 is a total failure and tw2 is a gem everyone should play. Playing the 4th time now.
  53. Jul 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a rare masterpiece in a world of mediocrity. Characters are believable, story line is great, graphics are as good as they can be on current generation of hardware, music and dialogue are top notch. Game runs fluent as hell on mid level systems, especially after patches were introduced. I highly recommend it to any hardcore and casual RPG fan, becauseThe Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a rare masterpiece in a world of mediocrity. Characters are believable, story line is great, graphics are as good as they can be on current generation of hardware, music and dialogue are top notch. Game runs fluent as hell on mid level systems, especially after patches were introduced. I highly recommend it to any hardcore and casual RPG fan, because this is how modern RPGs should be done. Expand
  54. Aug 12, 2011
    Compelling story and incredible visuals marred by buggy combat mechanics and tedious quests. There's no denying that the Witcher 2 is one of the best looking games to date. Trees, grass, and urban textures and objects are rendered in great detail. Depth of field and lighting effects are also put to great use. The story is also quite good, allowing you to choose a morally complicated pathCompelling story and incredible visuals marred by buggy combat mechanics and tedious quests. There's no denying that the Witcher 2 is one of the best looking games to date. Trees, grass, and urban textures and objects are rendered in great detail. Depth of field and lighting effects are also put to great use. The story is also quite good, allowing you to choose a morally complicated path that appears to have real effects down the line in true Witcher style. Unfortunately the combat mechanics are incredibly buggy, which leads to lots of frustration and reloading. After several patches (up to 1.35 currently), which improved the combat from unplayable to merely terrible, the biggest issue remains sign casting. For no apparent reason, signs will often fail to cast in the middle of combat: For example, with vigor to spare, Geralt will simply stare out into space as you repeatedly hit the hotkey for Quen. Jam it enough times, though, and Geralt snaps back into action. This makes battle outcomes feel random: get lucky and signs cast on the first or second attempt and you can win easily, but if you're unlucky it's time for another reload. Beyond this, combat is okay though very imprecise and unsatisfying.

Quests, especially during the middle chapter, can be unbearably tedious. Quest indicators on the big map are buggy and sometimes direct you to the wrong location, and the big map is sometimes difficult to decipher, so you should be prepared to waste lots of time running (or rolling) around in circles, looking for some non-obvious path or fork. Also, the minimap is dark and utterly useless, so you'll be pulling up the big map every 30 seconds for a fair number of quests.

A few additional notes: the looting aspect of this game is poorly developed--the mechanic itself is awkward and there's very little incentive to pick things up and sell or use them--and equipment upgrades are pretty limited. These are defensible design choices, but they have an adverse effect on replayability.

In sum, Witcher 2 has the story and graphics to make it an excellent interactive movie, but with respect to gameplay, it leaves much to be desired.
  55. Sep 30, 2011
    Easily the greatest RPG since the Baldur's Gate Series back in the mid-90's, perhaps even a bit better considering the technological differences. There is not a single bad voice actor throughout all of the game, every single inflection in the characters voices is accurate the emotions they're experiencing. Which is another thing the Witcher 2 did well, they conveyed the emotion of theEasily the greatest RPG since the Baldur's Gate Series back in the mid-90's, perhaps even a bit better considering the technological differences. There is not a single bad voice actor throughout all of the game, every single inflection in the characters voices is accurate the emotions they're experiencing. Which is another thing the Witcher 2 did well, they conveyed the emotion of the characters spectacularly, making you feel for the prosecuted elves and even sometimes loathe some of the humans you encounter. The characters are in-depth and exceedingly realastic, and if you're a fan of the novels which inspired the game; you're in for a surprise as there are MANY references to the sub-plots of the books.

The musical score aids this aspect of the game greatly, featuring some of the best in-game music I've ever heard; setting the ambiance, for romance, hatred, and sadness all at once in a way that's easily comprehended without being repetitive and annoying like some *cough* Dragon Age 2 *cough*

The graphics are amazing, easily rivaling Crysis 2 if you have the rig to run it, although the engine is not nearly as forgiving as the aforementioned competitor's, the game hitches sometimes even on the most fierce gaming machines. However, I believe that The Witcher 2 is far more aesthetically pleasing than anything in the Crysis Series could ever be; featuring amazing specular maps and bloom effects with HDR and brilliant anti-aliasing that creates a very realistic and gritty feal to a world filled with villainy and deceit; to make it short: the graphics fit the dark theme of the story perfectly. On a side-note; I should add that it is absolutely wonderful to see a developer like CDProjekt RED; a company that doesn't shy away from nudity and actually listens to the requests of their fans. They're more active on their forums than any other developer I've ever seen.
  56. Mar 6, 2012
    What I really love about the Witcher 2 apart from the stunny graphics, which obviously is a given, is that it is so realistic, for example you have to drink potions before combat. In most other games you can be in the midst of battle, but somehow you can just pop out a potion from your backpack and drink it in 1 second, and be instantly healed. The Witcher however snaps people back toWhat I really love about the Witcher 2 apart from the stunny graphics, which obviously is a given, is that it is so realistic, for example you have to drink potions before combat. In most other games you can be in the midst of battle, but somehow you can just pop out a potion from your backpack and drink it in 1 second, and be instantly healed. The Witcher however snaps people back to reality, you need time to prepare the potion, you need to meditate and drink it, and even then you wont see immediate effects, instead it boosts healing rates. Another great aspect of the game is the side missions, for example at some point you will need to venture off into the wilderness to kill some monsters, but instead of being able to just go out and hunt, you need to learn their weaknesses, where they live, what you can harvest from them, and how to defeat them. There are 2 ways to do this, go out and learn by doing, or read a book about it. Finally I love the divergent plot lines, and how you cannot understand the full story until you play through both paths

CDPROJECT brought brand new ideas to the table, and perfected old ones, the Witcher 2 is the greatest RPG to date.
  57. Oct 9, 2011
    Overall a decent game, though I still find the first Witcher to be slightly better. Very nice graphics and the movie-like gameplay unfortunately do not cover up the fact that the game gets boring fast. Despite that, in my opinion it deserves a strong 7.0.
  58. Nov 16, 2011
    The good: Some of the settings are breath taking. Honestly, I can't think of how many would-be desktop wallpaper "images" I encountered. Loved the dialog. I found the swearing to be seamless, and not so "hey look at me, i'm swearing!" like other games. I really liked the voice acting (english), especially some of the accents. Theres a certain "confidence" to the world. Combat is good,The good: Some of the settings are breath taking. Honestly, I can't think of how many would-be desktop wallpaper "images" I encountered. Loved the dialog. I found the swearing to be seamless, and not so "hey look at me, i'm swearing!" like other games. I really liked the voice acting (english), especially some of the accents. Theres a certain "confidence" to the world. Combat is good, although the aiming is not perfect when fighting groups (you do unlock abilities later on to compensate for this. Some interesting side quests.

The bad: Story introduces WAY too many characters, but does not give you much time to know them all. Seriously, they fire names out of a mini gun at you. The plot has kind of a hard time staying focused. Quests can be very vague. Like I had to go to gamefaqs a number of times, and upon finding out the solution, was left with the feeling of "how the hell would I have figured that out?" There are a few parts where it feels like its being dragged out for the sake of length. It can be a system killer on max, and prepare for some bugs. Really though, my biggest complaint is that the story did'nt have enough oomph. All in all, play it. It has an atmosphere that I have not really encountered well, handles mature themes better than most games, and has some really amazing characters. As long as you don't expect some Knights of the Old Republic-calibre story telling, you will love it. (for what its worth, the story is not bad, its just sort of there.)
  59. May 21, 2012
    One of my all time favorite RPG's. Gorgeous graphics, fun combat system, amazing story, real choices, and nice difficulty. Any fan of RPG's needs to pick this game up.
  60. Oct 31, 2011
    The Best RPG ever! Dark and serious, completely breaking candy-fantasy style of most RPGs present on the market. Characters are real and true, with all personality aspects. Dropping idea of good vs evil for decisions and consequences is just the best what can happen to RPG game. Balance of different type of quests is a state-of-art and fighting system are demanding but not discouraging,The Best RPG ever! Dark and serious, completely breaking candy-fantasy style of most RPGs present on the market. Characters are real and true, with all personality aspects. Dropping idea of good vs evil for decisions and consequences is just the best what can happen to RPG game. Balance of different type of quests is a state-of-art and fighting system are demanding but not discouraging, one can feel like the real witcher. Graphics is just amazing. Small -1 for soundtrack, only because the first Witcher has done it better and a little bit, too short story. Great job! Expand
  61. Apr 1, 2012
    im great game i've played..
    nice story and graphic although my comp doesnt have a powerful gpu to make this game looks great..
    but in overal this game really recomended to plying..

nice story and intrique on this game...
    unpatienly wait sequel from this game
  62. Apr 15, 2012
    Absolutely stunning. At long last a mature RPG game for adult players. Complex story, difficult choices that matter. This game offers so much, it pays breathlessly. It has it's vices and minor kinks (interface might be one of those). I might have done many things differently, but with even numerous issues you might have with this game there is nothing better out there yet, so this is theAbsolutely stunning. At long last a mature RPG game for adult players. Complex story, difficult choices that matter. This game offers so much, it pays breathlessly. It has it's vices and minor kinks (interface might be one of those). I might have done many things differently, but with even numerous issues you might have with this game there is nothing better out there yet, so this is the best you can get on the market, hence a full 10/10.

Kudos to CD Projekt RED for a fabulouos release. Looking forward to more!
  63. Dec 30, 2011
    This game is awsome, the story, the graphics, the characters... but it kinda feels repetitive because there is not much variety in enemies, but its totally worth playing.
  64. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is a 10/10. The story is immersive, the graphics beautiful, the game play and combat system very cool and skill-based. I tried to complete as many quests as possible and leveled fairly high and yet I never felt that the enemies were too easy to kill, so they scale well with you. The extra content post-release shows how much this company cares about the games they create. The newThis game is a 10/10. The story is immersive, the graphics beautiful, the game play and combat system very cool and skill-based. I tried to complete as many quests as possible and leveled fairly high and yet I never felt that the enemies were too easy to kill, so they scale well with you. The extra content post-release shows how much this company cares about the games they create. The new 10 GB content pack released a few days ago proves that. Incredible. Well worth the money spent. Expand
  65. Jan 2, 2012
    Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is the best game of the year 2011. Has excellent story, characters, graphic, dialogues, everything in this game is brilliant! Witcher 2 crushes such games as: Dragon Age 2, TES V Skyrim, Deus Ex HR or Fable III. Game of the year! And sorry, for my bad English.
  66. Feb 19, 2012
    By no means a perfect game, yet the most enjoyable video game I can recall playing. The graphics are spectacular, even on my rig, which is pretty average. The multilateral storyline is quite frankly, brilliance if ever I saw it. The realism of sound effects will help immerse the player and the voice acting, patchy here and there, is generally good. It's a game that doesnt take itself tooBy no means a perfect game, yet the most enjoyable video game I can recall playing. The graphics are spectacular, even on my rig, which is pretty average. The multilateral storyline is quite frankly, brilliance if ever I saw it. The realism of sound effects will help immerse the player and the voice acting, patchy here and there, is generally good. It's a game that doesnt take itself too seriously, with the occasional reference to Lord of The Rings that none of the characters really understand. The combat however, will annoy some people while pleasing others. The great strength of the original Witcher was its strong storytelling, and this is no different to the sequel. Where the Witcher 2 excels, however, is in how the decisions the player makes, so greatly affect the story they play in down the track. The storyline/storylines themselves are both rich and mature and you get the sense that the quests you complete, has in one way or another, affected the community, country or world that you are playing in. The decisions you make are subtle. There is no shining beam of light above the "moral" choice and flame wreathed "amoral" immoral choices. This alone sets the game apart from other RPGs where the player is forced to make choices. People however, polarise on the subject of combat within the game. Some argue that the nature of the combat makes the game too easy, while some complain that it never executes actions on the target the player wants it to. Few people were a fan of the main characters stagger, or flinch when he is hit which would in turn interrupt his own attacks. Personally I never really had an issue with it, though it definitely took some getting used to, although I found it, immediately more difficult than your typical hack and slash game. Also is the issue of swearing and sexual content. Some people wouldnt mind it, while others will be annoyed by it. Thus, not one for the kids. Overall, one of the best, most enthralling worlds Ive ever been immersed into. Not everyones cup of tea but, in my mind at least, the most enjoyable game Ive ever played. I hesitate to give away my 10/10 score, yet, it really does not get much better than this. Expand
  67. Apr 17, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is GOTY 2011 for me. Incredible graphics, dynamic storyline with different outcomes depending on your choices, diverse gameplay and great replayablity. Also, CD Projekt RED offers fantastic support.
  68. Apr 26, 2012
    amazing story, awesome graphics and developers are not scared to show some nudity! It is a very mature game with a lot of potential. everything was made with love...Bravo devs...
  69. Mar 30, 2012
    As a reader of the books and after multiple playthroughs of the first part I can safely say, that CD projekt is godlike! this is the most impressing world I have experienced yet, it deserves to be placed at the side of Lotr. And unlike the movie, the game manages to adapt the spirit of this world and the main character from the books into an awesome game. I will definitely play it againAs a reader of the books and after multiple playthroughs of the first part I can safely say, that CD projekt is godlike! this is the most impressing world I have experienced yet, it deserves to be placed at the side of Lotr. And unlike the movie, the game manages to adapt the spirit of this world and the main character from the books into an awesome game. I will definitely play it again and again to discover new things around the beautiful, terrifying, astonishing witcher series. This piece of art has left a mark in my life and I would recommend anyone to play the game and every Polish, German or Russian speaking human being to read this masterwork of a book series.
    Now regarding the combat mechanics: It is challenging, fast-paced, fun and fits in the world. Anyone stating something different hasn't really got into it or should play other kinds of games.
    The interface is well-thought-out and fine to handle. The only flaw is the short third chapter but this will apparently be fixed by 17th of April when the next huge patch is arriving.
  70. Apr 17, 2012
    Truly fantastic game. It's a shame that some people are so unfair to post "0" without any serious reason. The Witcher 2 is a feast for the eyes and for the brain. Fights are more difficult than in the first part, for the first time in ages I had to think before the battle what strategy to use. Brilliant! Everyone who don't like to fight can use "easy" and feel the wonderful world of theTruly fantastic game. It's a shame that some people are so unfair to post "0" without any serious reason. The Witcher 2 is a feast for the eyes and for the brain. Fights are more difficult than in the first part, for the first time in ages I had to think before the battle what strategy to use. Brilliant! Everyone who don't like to fight can use "easy" and feel the wonderful world of the Witcher. Buy it it's worth it. Expand
  71. Apr 26, 2012
    Yeah this game was really great but now with enhanced edition is 100% better than was ! Must have for sure for every rpg fan ! SO do not wait and go buy it :)
  72. Apr 18, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is the best sequel I have seen in a very long time. The story is phenomenal, the game play can be set to be extremely challenging or to be more of a story telling situation. The side quests involved with the game are meant to be more investigative rather that go here, collect this or go there, kill that. Although, there are some quests that do involve simple killing, it isThe Witcher 2 is the best sequel I have seen in a very long time. The story is phenomenal, the game play can be set to be extremely challenging or to be more of a story telling situation. The side quests involved with the game are meant to be more investigative rather that go here, collect this or go there, kill that. Although, there are some quests that do involve simple killing, it is in line with the work of Geralt. Above all I love that this game has stepped away from good or bad decisions, but really relies on shades of grey choices. There is no good, no bad, but only choices that shall affect the story that you chose for Geralt. That alone makes this by far one of the best games I have ever played. Expand
  73. Apr 24, 2012
    I have given The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings:
    A technical score of 85/100
    A personal score of 10/10

Fore more details and the full reviews, please go to the following link
  74. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome game it has every thing I hoped for, I really loved to play ioverth's path off course roche's path was also good but the characters and the epic story in ioverth's path blows out the kadweni champ and roche himself , Graphics of the game are outstanding and gorgeous, This game is highly recommended for serious gamers causal gamers might find the game a bit hard but its epic you will know once you start playing. Merits : Absolutely epic story , Graphics ,Characters, dialogs.(Almost everything in the game). Cons : Traps were bit boring and were not that friendly but bombs were great, The interface of the game could be made better (Save system's and Inventory management) . -All the dlc's (Including the EE patch) with extra quests and extra items were absolutely free and the developer seems to show a great respect for the fans and customers. Well its really great for us customers. Overall : A must buy for serious gamers. Expand
  75. May 14, 2012
    Great RPG game, what the genre is supposed to be like. The Witcher wins out slightly in my opinion over TW2 simply because they slightly dumbed down the combat system. I personally like the combo attacks from the first one, but it's still an awesome game. Gives a satisfying ending as well as preparing your for the next installment, highly recommend.
  76. Jun 1, 2012
    Definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Amazing story, compelling characters, incredible graphics and great battle mechanics. Congratulations CD Project RED - You've done great job making most immersing RPG ever.
  77. Jan 4, 2014
    This game has really nice graphics but the combat system is just plain unbalanced and the huge boss fights often defy normal video game logic and trick you with false weak spot attack oppurtunitys and then kill you in some mysterious ways (like with electro shocks).

You will often find yourself facing enemys that have unfair advantages over you like infinite and complete blocking of your melee attacks while you have your mana depleted with every single block or being forced to take serious damage even while blocking. The lack possibility to heal yourself properly during fights and the lack of the ability to use your much needed potions during fights is just plain annoying.

The game forces you to either drink potions the whole time to be prepared if there is a fight coming and thus wasting your often tedious gathered ressources for potions or you will often find yourself in an very unbalanced fight and in the desperated wish that you could drink your potions.

This really killed the game for me because this is not genuine fair challenge but often annoying trial and error.
  78. Apr 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm sorry but I must be missing something in playing this ,for I could never understand why someone would give this a 10/10? People are claiming it "redefined the rpg genre" bull.Skyrim redefined the genre ,this game is just so anticlimactic ,I read reviews for this game and decided yes,this seems a brilliant game,But no, its characters are NOT deep and complex,Geralt ,the main character is a monster slayer that seems to be kind of experienced despite being decorated by scars and sporting signs of aging and is there evidence that hes slain many monsters ? nope.,and another thing there is NO EMOTION WHATSOEVER IN THE FREAKING GAME I do not care for the characters ,and they don't care for each other ,Geralt is a monosyllabic shape-shifter,by that I mean he claims he is a monster slayer yet seems to know of curses,herbs despite claiming earlier "I'm no herbalist" and part time freaking detective! His love,triss merigold is so boring and contradictory also,she must pop a breast out every now and then just to keep viewers interested.contradictory because one minute she can't fight for sh*t and gets captured and claims magic takes it's toll on my body ,yet the next shes bustin out 2000 magic spells at once ,leveling enemies left and right.So the combat and the checkpoint system,both go hand in hand at sucking d*ck and not flowing WHAT SO EVER ,the checkpoint system decides not save periodically at a fighting sequence yet to save at the start (usually at the level start) and when you die like f*cking usual it will send you back to the start of the sequence.The combat,OK so it's not the worst I've ever seen but it could be a **** side better that's for sure ,Geralt locks on to one person despite 90% of the time you're fighting multiple enemies so that mechanic is f*cking useless with 3 out of 4 enemies bludgeoning you as you tap one guy with your completely underpowered weapon,Witcher's magical powers are also kind of useless as they claim to perform to a certain degree for example ,"Yrden is a magical trap the immobilizes foes" so the cg looks sweet and the graphics in general are good on the eye,but the magic itself ,Yrden SOMETIMES immobilizes foes,other times it says "nah f*ck it I won't do anything" and does nothing to the target.OK so other things... the game's story is good,but the things the characters say and do always left me saying why the hell is that happening,WTF is this happening ,like the characters may say "ZOMG PROTECT THE DRAGON SLAYER SHES SOOOO IMPORTANT !!!!!!111 and just thinking yeah..why? a golden owl ,flies over to protect you amidst a f*cking zombies Apocalypse caused by a guy ,prince stannis baratheon oh wait no stennis ,falls on to a rock,aaaaaand the the only explanation you get for why this curse is happening,then a golden owl begins destroying zombies with golden lightning bolts and no questions it,more things are wrong with this game ,loading minimal areas there's a f*cking loading screens for like 5 seconds! Skyrim can load it's ENTIRE WORLD in like 7! ,If you're not a main character chances are you're a brain dead npc who seems to shout abusive and retarded things randomly,And to finish this rant just a little point.Some npc's ,even before the murder of foltest seems to to distrust Geralt ,*gulps in air* WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HE HASN'T DONE SH*T FOR F*CKS SAKE AHHH THIS GAME IS SO F*CKING STUPID ON SO MANY LEVELS Expand
  79. May 17, 2011
    Damn, i hate to say it, but CDR made a better game than i was able to with DA2. Witcher 2 is so much more immersive than any RPG of the last 5+ years. I hated DAO, hence DA2.. Anyway. The atmosphere, the character interactions, the "love scenes," and the combat are masterfully as well as artistically done. Much better than anything i've been able to do between DA2 and Jade Empire.
  80. May 21, 2011
    This game takes the crown of the RPG genre for being the best RPG released in the last 10 years of gaming. The Witcher 2 assassinates all of its genre-rivals with ease.

I finished this game after 30 hours of gameplay and never had a dull moment, never needed to grind and always was on important and eventful quests full of plot twists and surprises. If you are a fan of western RPGs you need to buy this. This is how you do a sequel !
  81. May 21, 2011
    With Portal 2 this year I was pretty sure that I wouldn't have to think about which game is the best ever made...but then came the Witcher 2.
    I was really sceptic because Dragon Age 2 was so bad that I lost my interest in RPG's but I tried the Witcher 2 and it blew me away.
    The characters are all interesting and or funny, the graphic and interface is genius, the combat is very challenging but still fun and the story makes you play without a break as you want to know what will happen. A perfect 10.0
    ALL quests are interesting and fun no matter how small, a masterpiece.
  82. May 17, 2011
    This game is great, I was looking forward to great RPGs this year and 2/3 times I got very disappointing (DA2 sucking, ME3 being delayed to 2012 probably) but wow was in a treat for the 3rd one... very very happy with this game so far the only thing that I sorhta had an issue with was the DX9 only engine but it looks very nice regardless. This game has all the true PC RPG elements at itsThis game is great, I was looking forward to great RPGs this year and 2/3 times I got very disappointing (DA2 sucking, ME3 being delayed to 2012 probably) but wow was in a treat for the 3rd one... very very happy with this game so far the only thing that I sorhta had an issue with was the DX9 only engine but it looks very nice regardless. This game has all the true PC RPG elements at its core (unlike other RPG games that have come out recently) and I think other developers should learn a thing or two from these guys *wink* *wink* bioware.

10/10 in my book.
  83. May 17, 2011
    The best cRPG i have ever played!! Beautiful graphic, epic history, perfect sound. In my opinion the best game of 2011. There is nothing more to say.
  84. May 24, 2011
    It is really hard to describe such a masterpiece in just few sentences. It's not just a game. It is a sparkling diamond, a big shiny beacon of hope for those who thought they shall never play a true RPG game again. Wither 2 has enormous background. From the beginning we meet numerous of creatures who aren't just characters. They are alive human and non-human beings with their feelings,It is really hard to describe such a masterpiece in just few sentences. It's not just a game. It is a sparkling diamond, a big shiny beacon of hope for those who thought they shall never play a true RPG game again. Wither 2 has enormous background. From the beginning we meet numerous of creatures who aren't just characters. They are alive human and non-human beings with their feelings, thoughts etc. and they just live their lives and player feels that out there is a big living world not just a bunch of persons whose only goal is to help our main character. The graphic system - oblivious. The battle system- tough, hard, demanding and requires a tactic and logic. It's nearly perfect! The plot - a masterpiece thanks to A. Sapkowski and his stunning novels. The game is a truly a Game of the Year and one of the best RPG ever. (amongst the Fallout, BG 2, Planescape). Expand
  85. May 18, 2011
    I signed up, just to counteract those insane low scores. This is an incredible game, you can see so much love poured in, from the npc's who live out their lives, to the buildings that have very detailed interiors. It seems as if the first city was literally cobbled together with a hammer and chisel. The combat is a little tough until you get used to using your brain (other RPG's make youI signed up, just to counteract those insane low scores. This is an incredible game, you can see so much love poured in, from the npc's who live out their lives, to the buildings that have very detailed interiors. It seems as if the first city was literally cobbled together with a hammer and chisel. The combat is a little tough until you get used to using your brain (other RPG's make you click so was not used to it). Interactions with other npcs is great, you can craft weapons Armour and make potions, all of which can help or hinder you. There are consequences to drinking to much potions do to toxicity, plus every potion has pros and cons eg cats potion which lets you see in the dark does not help you see in the light. Everything in the game can be enhanced which is a must when versing some foes. There is so much more to talk about, like all the free dlc thats coming, to the amazing box you get with lots of goodies at a normal price great side quests no fetching missions. Don't believe those 0/10 scores, I don't know why anyone would give this game a score like that, the only thing those people are doing is just making others sign up to give it a good score. Go buy the game, btw I can run most options on high except textures which are at the maximum, yet I only have an 8800GTX. Expand
  86. May 19, 2011
    Single greatest RPG I have played since the isometric days, every aspect of this game has depth and nothing feels tacked on. Put simply it raises the bar on what to expect from a AAA RPG, a masterpiece that will be a serious contender for GOTY in the same year that saw Portal 2, L.A. Noire and Elder Scrolls V and that says a lot! Pros:
    -Depth of story telling and character that we haven't
    -Depth of story telling and character that we haven't seen since the isometric RPG days, Fallout 1 & 2 and the like. -Stunning graphics and voice acting.
    -Fluent and incredibly versatile combat, you can rely on traps and spells or swordsmanship or any combination in between. - No fluff quests, even the side quests have meaning and story. - Gritty, mature and well placed humor. Cons:
    Inventory management could use some revision, but it's a minor problem at most.
  87. May 20, 2011
    Combat. Those who complain about the combat. Well... It is different, difficult because Geralt is different . You understand - He is a witcher! You need to learn how to play.

Fighting that is not automated. You must thinking! The combat makes more sense where you can make use of your parrying and dodge functions. The controls are responsive, and the player needs to use all his

Fighting that is not automated. You must thinking!
    The controls are responsive, and the player needs to use all his abilities to survive,thats true, this is not a hack-and-slash, thank goodness.
    If You like it - The Witcher is for You!

Bugs. Oh, of course there are, but will be patches i free DLC. Not worth complaining about!

Beautiful graphics, story, and the rest... it;s amazing game.
    Thie game is extremely emotional and exciting. Like a film.
    I am pleased that as a child.A unique atmosphere, a real, realistic, logical.Marvel

Only one true drawback - too short :) for me.

But I'll play it again and again and again ... :) Oh yes!
    And...I have a feeling.... to be continued. Ther Witcher 3? :)

Sorry for my lame english. I am from Lithuania. Thank,s CD RED.
  88. May 20, 2011
    Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, but this game is a true masterpiece. CDPR, you have absolutely awed me with the level of quality you have put into this title. I can't wait to see what the future holds for such an awesome corporation!
  89. May 21, 2011
    Best RPG I've played in a LONG time. The story is great, and this is real Dark Fantasy. The graphics are flawless, but what the game really excels at is the living world it places you in. Every part of the forest, cities, caves are alive, the cities especially. The is incredibly scored, the mix of different music styles is great. The combat system takes some getting used to, startingBest RPG I've played in a LONG time. The story is great, and this is real Dark Fantasy. The graphics are flawless, but what the game really excels at is the living world it places you in. Every part of the forest, cities, caves are alive, the cities especially. The is incredibly scored, the mix of different music styles is great. The combat system takes some getting used to, starting out it can be unforgiving at times even on normal. You can't just hack n slash, but once you learn to use your spells and attacks in tandem it's very fun. There are a few bugs, as there are with any games, but you hardly notice or mind them because the game is that good. CDPR just raised the bar as far as RPGs go. Hopefully others will take the challenge and we'll see a string or great RPGs in the future. Expand
  90. May 31, 2011
    Best RPG of the last years. Incredible graphics, deep systems and gameplay. No handholding for noobs and Bioware fans. A must buy in thetruest sense of the world. Support great indie devs.
  91. May 21, 2011
    I have to drag myself away from it to get some sleep at night. It's just so damn good. Maybe I've just forgot what an RPG with decent dev time was like, but I just can't remember the last time I was so hooked.
    Worth every cent.
  92. May 20, 2011
    I've got to give this game the highest marks. Aside from a few technical bugs at the beginning (that I was able to fix and were the fault of my computer) and a (to me) awkward control scheme (that can be edited), I've had no complaints. This game truly presents an immense number of options and pathways for the player to take. Absolutely recommend!
  93. May 18, 2011
    Ignore the scores you see on metacritic giving 0 theye are from competing games employees and in no way are sincere or reflect this awesome game!...am not going to say much other than this game is the best RPG i have ever played its so polished and immersive its hard to spot the odd flaw or blemish....This game msut surely raise the bar for others to follow...all games should be likeIgnore the scores you see on metacritic giving 0 theye are from competing games employees and in no way are sincere or reflect this awesome game!...am not going to say much other than this game is the best RPG i have ever played its so polished and immersive its hard to spot the odd flaw or blemish....This game msut surely raise the bar for others to follow...all games should be like this...well done to the polish team who developed it and shame on those sad people abusing metacritics user ratings system to try to downgrade this in favour of their own companies games..

I see one previously confirmed BioWare employee gave Dragon Age Origins 2 a 10/10...yet he gives this game 0..... It is a shame to see this happen.....MAKE NO MISTAKE FOLKS THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!!!...
  94. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 kicked every other RPG's butt so hard they broke the time space continuum and disappeared into another universe, the trashbin universe. I had trouble with the combat at first, but I just failed. Got everything under control now. Everything about this game is great.
  95. May 19, 2011
    A truly amazing game. Unlike some other RPGs that hold your hand throughout and have terrible acting and writing (Dragon Age 2 I'm looking at you) this game actually feels like an RPG should. Your actions effect the game, your previous actions aren't retcon'd, and the game has a wonderful sense of freedom to it. If you're looking for an awesome modern RPG look no further.
  96. May 21, 2011
    Wonderful Action RPG with an amazing story, and available DRM free. But, marred by clumsy controls, a somewhat poor inventory screen, and high graphical system requirements.
  97. May 17, 2011
    This is the best game I've ever played. Non linear story-line, very diversified and smart quests, fantastic graphics, and amazing dialogs, the combat system is great... This game is simply PERFECT!!!!
  98. May 18, 2011
    I haven't finished the game yet but I can already tell that this is one if the most engaging games I've played in a long time. Last time I couldn't stop playing even though my eyes hurt like hell was when Black Ops or Halo:Reach came out. I have to admit that I was a bit lost in combat when I started playing but I quickly realised that I have to try harder like in Demon's Souls orI haven't finished the game yet but I can already tell that this is one if the most engaging games I've played in a long time. Last time I couldn't stop playing even though my eyes hurt like hell was when Black Ops or Halo:Reach came out. I have to admit that I was a bit lost in combat when I started playing but I quickly realised that I have to try harder like in Demon's Souls or Castlevania (on hard) not just mash a button. I like that some developers finally realize that we like challenges nit just running through the game smoothly. On top off that the graphics are so beautiful and full of detail that I enjoy sightseeing in TW2 :))) before I take up a quest. Expand
  99. Ex_
    May 19, 2011
    Revised rating. Pros of the game: improved combat system that's fast paced, forces player to pay attention to enemies, doesn't spoon feed you; mistakes are also felt in the game (you die on a boss fight, you start the boss fight over again, not from a check point and there aren't frequent autosaves although some may see this as a con); engaging story and graphics; decent use of quicktime;Revised rating. Pros of the game: improved combat system that's fast paced, forces player to pay attention to enemies, doesn't spoon feed you; mistakes are also felt in the game (you die on a boss fight, you start the boss fight over again, not from a check point and there aren't frequent autosaves although some may see this as a con); engaging story and graphics; decent use of quicktime; supports the 360 gamepad with control mapping and UI. Cons of the game: has a somewhat steep learning curve that may be off-putting to impatient players; menu loading can take longer than normal a lot of the time; uses a configuration utility instead of allowing detail changes within the game; ONLY supports the 360 controller. All in all, a good game. P.S. most of the negative reviews are from people who never played the game, are Bioware fanboys, or just didn't take the time to play more than the intro quest before getting their ass kicked, discovered that the game requires skill and not mindless hacking slashing, quitting and refunding. Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)