8.4

1. May 18, 2011
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played and the only RPG I've played in recent years that has kept my attention from the beginning and held it. As for the combat, it is engaging and fun while maintaining a nice balance of strategy and action. On the "normal " game difficulty setting, the combat was just difficult enough to keep me challenged. The combination of magic / swordplay / traps &One of the best RPGs I've ever played and the only RPG I've played in recent years that has kept my attention from the beginning and held it. As for the combat, it is engaging and fun while maintaining a nice balance of strategy and action. On the "normal " game difficulty setting, the combat was just difficult enough to keep me challenged. The combination of magic / swordplay / traps & bombs is a lot of fun and gives you many options to use during the midst of combat.

As for the graphics, they are breathtaking. The attention to detail is bar none. The uniforms and patterns are incredibly detailed and well thought out. The environments feel so real and the dungeons give me a bit of a shiver with the perfectly reverberating sound and realistic atmospheric effects like fog / haze. There have been some complaints of graphical glitches, control bugs and other bugs... but I haven't experienced any bugs whatsoever. The load times are excellent on my mid-range rig and I'm able to run the graphics on "medium" and have perfectly smooth frame rates. I'm running an Intel Core-i7 870, 8 gigs of ram, ATI 5870 and Creative Soundblaster Fatility.

Thank you cdprojekt! THANK YOU!
  2. May 18, 2011
    For now I can only say - masterpiece...The game is so beautiful, so very well rounded. Dialogue - well written, very brilliant and sprightly, and immersive. Living world, interesting plot, all that atmosphere - great job. There are of course minor bugs, but I don't care ;) One of the best game I've ever played.
  3. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is the best-looking game ever! It kicks BioWare's ass in many aspects! First, of course, the graphics are amazing! Second, the decision we make in The Witcher 2 are way more serious and change much more than we experienced in Dragon Age 2. So think more than twice about what you are going to say/do! Third, I like the combat! It's not that easy-going combat from Dragon Age 2!The Witcher 2 is the best-looking game ever! It kicks BioWare's ass in many aspects! First, of course, the graphics are amazing! Second, the decision we make in The Witcher 2 are way more serious and change much more than we experienced in Dragon Age 2. So think more than twice about what you are going to say/do! Third, I like the combat! It's not that easy-going combat from Dragon Age 2! When we are facing many enemies at once it's not like: "So.. that's all you got?". We are no superhero. We experience how hard it is to fight so many opponents. We have to dodge them an hit 'em from behind. Plant traps and sometimes, we even need to step back for a moment. It's way more intense. Fourth, the story! It's a suspenceful story! I really like the turns in it and the long dialogues are the best I've seen so far. I really like RPGs that have not that stupid one-liner we all now!
    What's with that stupid female crap MarianHawke is writing about? Insulting? The female character aren't insulted in any way in this game! We have strong female characters, who are smart and are fully emancipated. So, play this game again and think about it. Thanks!
  4. May 18, 2011
    Amazing game, full of graphical splendor and deep storytelling. I really can't endorse this product enough, this will be an instant classic for any RPG fan.
    I also have to mention the savegame carry-over system. Save games change EVERYTHING based on what you did in the last game, a really satisfying experience for long-time fans.
  5. May 18, 2011
    This game is everything dragon age shoul have been. I love bioware but if cd project can continue to pump out this quality of a game, the gaming world will have a new rpg leader. It's very mature so do not play around the little ones if you have them. The game is near flawless if not flawless. It is also incredibly challenging. I died a few times during just the prologue. That's not a badThis game is everything dragon age shoul have been. I love bioware but if cd project can continue to pump out this quality of a game, the gaming world will have a new rpg leader. It's very mature so do not play around the little ones if you have them. The game is near flawless if not flawless. It is also incredibly challenging. I died a few times during just the prologue. That's not a bad thing. It makes it not feel like such a hack n slash. In dragon age 2 u feel like u can jump into 10 enemies and walk away with ease. Not here. If you jump into more than 2 it makes u sweat. I love that about this game. Graphically it is also really well done. The detail they put into it is astonishing. Foe example,If u bump a bucket of tomatoes it actually falls and the tomatoes fall everywhere. If you have the computer to play it and aren't afraid of nudity or very mature language I can't recommend this game enough Expand
  6. May 18, 2011
    This game is one of the best games I've ever played. So far this year has not been released game RPG that can be better. Gives it 10/10 And this is GOTY 2011.
  7. May 18, 2011
    10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The best RPG game so far this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. May 18, 2011
    Graphics, dialogues (I'm playing with polish dubs), animations, the world - all of that is made of pure win, just as everyone says. So let me tell you what I did NOT like about the Witcher 2 so far (about 10hrs of gameplay).

Combat system is a huge downer for me, because even though there seems to be a decent sytem underneath, the super-fast pacing of the combat does not really give me any time to properly learn and utilize it. I am dying a LOT because of that (medium diff.) and combat often feels like a semi-random button smashing.
    Interfaces, while slick in design, are lacking in functionality - ability to compare equipment you are about to buy with stuff you have equipped at the moment is nonexistent, better recipes/plans sorting would be handy, but is absent as well, junk is only visible in "all" section of the inventory and you cant sell it all with one click, etc...
    Oh, and the HW requirements.. I was just fine with my GTS250 1GB until now >_< but W2 looks appropriately good, so... never mind that :)

Well, it will probably still manage to snatch best RPG of 2011 title, since Bioware does not even try these days (and their RPGs are basically just Kotor clones anyway), Skyrim will likely end up sterile and empty as any other TES game so far, Dark Souls..is a bit different kind of beast, and who knows when Risen 2 is going to be released.

I also have to say that so far, I liked the first Witcher more, mainly because it did not punish me for my slow reflexes all the time, just for my bad decisions. (Which is just fine and bioware (and western rpg makers in general) should learn to punish players for bad decisions, not just hand them everything on a silver platter.) Sure, Witcher 2 looks, sounds, is animated and voiced much better, but the first one is pretty decent in these areas too and nothing of that makes the core of RPG gameplay.
  9. May 18, 2011
    I am trying to think of an accurate way to describe this game, which has completely blown me away. How about the best RPG I have played since Planescape Torment? I hope that says enough.
  10. May 18, 2011
    An amazing game. Not just on a technical level, but on an artistic level as well. You can tell people had a lot of passion for this game when thye made it.
  11. May 18, 2011
    The new gold standard for RPG games, Witcher 2 is to the RPG genre as half life was to the FPS genre. The bar has just been set and the king throned.

Amazing graphics with cutting edge technology to push and punish the PC hardware that is rarely thought about by multiplatform games designed around consoles. An immersive dynamic world where time of day matters and isn't simply a gimmick

An immersive dynamic world where time of day matters and isn't simply a gimmick thrown in with reduced brightness. Cities are alive during the day with people doing what people would do instead of just standing around in place for hours like most other games. People interact with each other, go to work, and at night time hit up the pub and whore houses. Find yourself stumbling around in the dead of night down a dark alley and you'll probably run into bandits, drunks stumbling around, and increase monster presence in the wild.

Items, crafting, books, and more items; this game is rich with items. There are tons from different weapons such as halberds to junk items such as handcuffs. Crafting matters and you aren't limited to a single profession but rather you're able to use whatever you please. This means picking up herbs for potions and still being able to upgrade weapons even creating new armors. No restrictions allowing the player to enjoy and do what they please. If you enjoy item aspect of RPG games this game delivers 10 fold.

Engaging and skill based combat. Although Witcher 2 is more action oriented especially the combat that doesn't mean it's a simplistic bush masher where 50 clicks equates to a win. The combat is very tactical and requires timing to succeed. A lot of people find the combat to be difficult but once you've failed a couple of times and get the hang of its uniqueness it is very rewarding. Combat requires thought and planning so trying to play it like typical action based RPG's will result in failure. With 6 different magical abilities, 4 different skill trees, ranged weapons, items, and traps every battle is different and requires it's own solution.

Customization is very alive and well in Witcher 2. With 4 different progression trees that allow players drastically change what their character is an expert in every type of player can find their calling whether it's a something who relies heavily on magic abilities or a player whom decides creating strong potions to add in combat and the creating of powerful bombs the Witcher 2 has you covered. Although you can't customize your character's appearance via different hair, face options, or race the customization in this game via the skill trees and dialogue options like intimidate/influence is anything but frivolous and really adds to the game whereas different hair colors certainly doesn't. Story and re playability. Without spoiling anything and that's hard to do since there are so many choices that affect several other options, questions, and even the world you play in I'll just say it will require several entire play throughs to do it and see all Witcher 2 offers. Unlike other RPG games that pride themselves on "choice" and "consequences" which are clear cut good and bad scale the Witcher 2 is 500 shades of grey where whatever you choose it will probably end badly for someone. This is a dark mature low fantasy world where people are blunt and that rpg status quo doesn't apply. Forget the typical racial stereotypes and get ready for adult language and even nudity. CD Projekt Red decided to offer a truly unique experience for gamers tired of posh fancy elves, the knight in shining armor, and bad guys you couldn't ever relate to. I could never give a game a perfect 10 because there is always something the developer could have done better but in the case of Witcher 2 I'll give it a 10. I do this because of what the developer gives for the money. An actual game manual that is more than 3 pages of legal shenanigans, free game soundtrack, a game guide, and the option for your game to be entirely DRM free. It's the little things which are nonexistent now days for most developers unless you pay more but in the Witcher 2 you get standard which makes this game an excellent value. Did I mention FREE DLC and never having to pay for it? No release day paid DLC here folks. Enjoy your game you paid for it!
  12. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. I really think that CD Project made an grateful experience. The Witcher connect best parts of RPG. I'm hope Witcher became best game 2011... and now i back to play. :) Collapse
  13. May 18, 2011
    This is one of the best games i've ever palyed. Form interesting characters to incredibly deep story. I'm playing the game all the time and cant wait to see mode DLC and official addons.
  14. May 19, 2011
    BEST GAME EVER!!!! I've played Witcher 1 and believe me all Kotors, Dragon Ages, Mass Effects are nothing compared to Witcher. Maybe the first one has some flaws but Witcher 2 is a masterpiece.
  15. May 18, 2011
    This is one of the best RPG of all time! I played Witcher 1 few years ago and I'm shocked how different second game is. I have never seen a sequel that is better from previous game with every aspect. Now I am in act 2 (near end of an act). I think it's 50-60% of the game. It was the best 20 h with video game since I don't even remember :) Story is mature and with a lot of humour inThis is one of the best RPG of all time! I played Witcher 1 few years ago and I'm shocked how different second game is. I have never seen a sequel that is better from previous game with every aspect. Now I am in act 2 (near end of an act). I think it's 50-60% of the game. It was the best 20 h with video game since I don't even remember :) Story is mature and with a lot of humour in dialogues. NPC are the most interesting characters that video game can provide. Graphics looks astonishing. Even on my 2 years old computer I can play on High settings. If you like RPG - you must buy it! Last time I had such good time was when I played Mass Effect 2. Sorry Bioware but after Dragon Age 2 it's new king in town. Cd Projekt I am waiting for Witcher 3 ! :D Expand
  16. May 18, 2011
    LOL @ Bioware fanboys rating this down. Expect a lot more 0s in the next days. This game is everything DA2 should have been but failed. Suck it down. FTW 10.0
  17. May 18, 2011
    Are you kidding me? Did someone actually say, that developers of the Witcher 2 are from nineteenth century? This game is supposed to resemble a medieval setting with monsters and such. Try 7 centuries earlier. Mysoginistic? How about realistic? If you think today's world is a man's world, how do you think it looked like in the 1200s? Add monsters and magic into the mix, and basicly anyAre you kidding me? Did someone actually say, that developers of the Witcher 2 are from nineteenth century? This game is supposed to resemble a medieval setting with monsters and such. Try 7 centuries earlier. Mysoginistic? How about realistic? If you think today's world is a man's world, how do you think it looked like in the 1200s? Add monsters and magic into the mix, and basicly any women that have any say in what goes on in the world are witches, sorcereses, and noblewomen. And female monsters of any kind. :) That's it, and you, Bioware, dare bash the realism? And there are at least a few notable females in this game. In fact, if you'd read the book, there is a whole semi-secret organization of female-only mages, that is pulling the strings and deciding the fate of almost all northern kingdoms (more or less successfully, but I don't know if they are involved heavily in this game's plot though) And Bioware is bashing a truthful depiction of that time's society? Have they ever read a history book? Let alone watch the history channel? Yeah Bioware, it was totally believable to have a female captain of the guard, that is so tolerant and cool. You think combat is weak Bioware? The environment uninspiring? How do you call your rehashing dungeons, and "we'll do it for you" combat in DA2 then? You should be ashamed of what type of product you pushed to the shelves and applaud a better job done by CDProjekt RED. The world of the witcher is one I can believe in. And that's the type of fantasy, or sci-fi I, and many people, enjoy the most. Go and make another Origins, instead of feeling **** because someone produced a better cRPG than you did. I can't even believe Bioware would be so anal, as to attack a fellow game developer for creating a superior game. Concentrate on creating something better than DA2 yourselves, instead of trying to backstab a better product to artificially stay on top of the genre, by attacking it on review sites. Instead, make more games like the Witcher 2, adult storyline, non-linearity, deep combat, great visuals and music, deep alchemy, and character development systems...People, do not be deceived. If you've ever enjoyed a cRPG and if you enjoy a true, gray and bittersweet world instead of a lazy turd, that just bears a respected developers seal (yes, I'm talking about DA2 and Bioware again), than buy this game. It's brilliant, simply brilliant. It has it's flaws, like the AI at times (not always mind you, and we'll see about the patches, because unlike many developers, CDProjekt RED is actually supporting their games long after launch with tweaks and patches, and release their games DRM free) The negatives however pale in comparison to the positives. This game is an absolute delight. Just not for anyone below 18 years old. It's doesn't cater to everyone, but it's still an amazing achievement. Buy it. Expand
  18. May 19, 2011
    I add this comment just to tell all those who complaints about the specs of the game that my two years old computer is totally able to run the game with ultra options. The only deactivated option is ubersampling, which is an option that requires a really high end cpu+gpu combination. In fact, this option can´t offer any differece on a mid-high pc, like mine (on graphics II add this comment just to tell all those who complaints about the specs of the game that my two years old computer is totally able to run the game with ultra options. The only deactivated option is ubersampling, which is an option that requires a really high end cpu+gpu combination. In fact, this option can´t offer any differece on a mid-high pc, like mine (on graphics I mean, fps reduction is very noticeable). So, please stop crying about this. The game is almost perfect for me, the only issue for me is in the combat system, which is a bit unprecise I think, despite of that, great game. (Sorry about my english) Expand
  19. May 19, 2011
    I love F:NV, but after playing TW 2 all i can say is: The Witcher 2 is the best RPG i ever played.... in my opinion it is Game of the Year 2011. Story is great and nonlinear. Music, world, choices , graphics - everything looks amazing! it is masterpiece from CDP Red. That is how should looks modern RPG! I belive it starts new chapter for RPG genere. No more crap like DA2, no more milkingI love F:NV, but after playing TW 2 all i can say is: The Witcher 2 is the best RPG i ever played.... in my opinion it is Game of the Year 2011. Story is great and nonlinear. Music, world, choices , graphics - everything looks amazing! it is masterpiece from CDP Red. That is how should looks modern RPG! I belive it starts new chapter for RPG genere. No more crap like DA2, no more milking players by stupid DLC. Expand
  20. May 19, 2011
    Do not let the trolls fool you, TW2 is a great game, probably GOTY. Awesome graphics, if your PC can handle it, great story and fast paced combat that is actually difficult. So far the only thing I didn't like were the stealth sections, but that's only my opinion.
  21. May 19, 2011
    I play on low graphics. I'm below the minimum requirements for both processor and graphic card. Yet the game works, is fluid and beautiful. Engaging characters and story, well done prologue, varied and breathtaking environments. The environment themselves are not huge, but they usually are big and varied enough to enjoy some exploration. Gameplay wise, the combat is nervous and fast, butI play on low graphics. I'm below the minimum requirements for both processor and graphic card. Yet the game works, is fluid and beautiful. Engaging characters and story, well done prologue, varied and breathtaking environments. The environment themselves are not huge, but they usually are big and varied enough to enjoy some exploration. Gameplay wise, the combat is nervous and fast, but also highly tactical at higher difficulties. Takes a bit of time to get used to. Oh, and better read the f*ing manual during the installation. The tutorial is a bit lacking in that regard. It also got some "stealthy" phases. It's basic "don't get in line of sight", but it works, and it adds another flavor to the game. Bosses are inventive and difficult. No "pound-a-meatbag-o-tron" so far. Expand
  22. May 19, 2011
    I was a huge fan of The first Witcher game to the point it made me buy the two novels that the game was based one. Considering this I was hoping the sequel would not be a let down and it wasn't! The graphics is stunning. The combat is a huge improvement compared to its predecessor. I enjoy the continuation of the story script where it's a darker world filled with consequences. Plus no DRM,I was a huge fan of The first Witcher game to the point it made me buy the two novels that the game was based one. Considering this I was hoping the sequel would not be a let down and it wasn't! The graphics is stunning. The combat is a huge improvement compared to its predecessor. I enjoy the continuation of the story script where it's a darker world filled with consequences. Plus no DRM, this is my new drug! This has to be RPG game of the year 2011. Expand
  23. May 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is fantastic. Amazing graphics and music, fast paced and demanding gameplay, and story which is truly better than any other new RPG game including Mass Effect 2! The game has 16 endings, ton of moral choices which means there's a lot of replayability value in the game. Simply perfect. A 10 out of 10. Expand
  24. May 19, 2011
    A truly amazing, involving game, with great story and deep characters. This is also the most beautiful RPG of all time, as you can see from the screenshots or gameplays. I've already spent over 25hours in the game, and I'm more or less in the middle, which means it'll take 40-45hours for me to complete, which is fantastic. The game has 16 endings which is damn impressive. You can alsoA truly amazing, involving game, with great story and deep characters. This is also the most beautiful RPG of all time, as you can see from the screenshots or gameplays. I've already spent over 25hours in the game, and I'm more or less in the middle, which means it'll take 40-45hours for me to complete, which is fantastic. The game has 16 endings which is damn impressive. You can also import save games from Witcher 1, which influence your story with the choices you made in the first game. Great job CDP RED! Expand
  25. May 19, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a game for which i was waiting almost since i launched The Witcher 1. In comparison with the first one there is HUGE difference in almost everything. I've never seen such wonderfull graphics running on older computers. As for the story i donlt want to write any spoiler, Only thing i am obligated to write is that depth of the story is unbeliveable. Every choice you makeThe Witcher 2 is a game for which i was waiting almost since i launched The Witcher 1. In comparison with the first one there is HUGE difference in almost everything. I've never seen such wonderfull graphics running on older computers. As for the story i donlt want to write any spoiler, Only thing i am obligated to write is that depth of the story is unbeliveable. Every choice you make have consequenses. Whats funny there are no easy ones. Most of the moral choices are very hard to make, cause sometimes there is just no right way, you need to judge situation and choose less evil one, and that decision will affect the story line many many hours of playing later. There are often retrospections to remind us of our previous decisions and show us consequenses of them. Story line also changes if you travel with different companions, because with everyone of them happens something completly diffrent. For me its best RPG with amazing storyline, graphics and combat system. Expand
  26. May 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay so take Dragon Age 2, then throw it out, burn it, and imagine from scratch a game that is not only good, but amazing, which is basically the complete polar opposite of Dragon Age 2. Then make that game real, and make it even BETTER, then lace it with gold and coat it in chocolate, and make it taste better than french vanilla ice cream with Reese's hard shell topping on it, but with like no calories and it actually makes you SLIMMER and gives you ABS. Now forget about all of that because no language has any words to describe how good The Witcher 2 is. To be fair and honest though, the game has a flaw. "Junk" type items can't be filtered out from the rest of your inventory and sold off easily Expand
  27. May 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What is difference between "RPG" and RPG. If you want best description you must try Witcher 2 and "all" others game in this tape of game. For many people, not only me its definitly GAME OF THE YEAR 2011. Breathtaking graphic and music, great non-linear plot with many consequences about your choices. I fall in love in witcher 2. For me its BEST game EVER. I know that there are a few bugs etc, but its imposible to fix everyting in so huge game. Want more, want more Gearlt, Zoltan, Triss. If someone grading this game below 9, he or she is absurd and shouldn't use the computer. For all maniac RPG - its best choice in this year. If you still dont have the game, go fast to shop to get it! Expand
  28. May 19, 2011
    Unequivocally the prettiest game I've ever played. The attention to detail is amazing. I didn't absolutely love the prologue, but everything is great from there. This can be a difficult game and the pacing is very old school RPG, so make sure to take your time and expect to die from time to time (unless you play on easy). Best RPG to come out in years.
  29. May 19, 2011
    I never wrote a review before, but this is very Special game to me. It one of this games that are gonna be in the top 5, iv been playing for 15 years. Im running the game on i7 core and 5990 gtx and im just going to run through the gd points.

The graphics, top quilty, lighting effects amazing, detail very gd, i would even say even better then crysis 2. Also the game world seems so alive with detail everythink is different and intresting, you just walk around thinking fking hell they have put so much effect into this game What I really like about this game its not ported down to play on crappy (can't swear)xbox 360 or playstation. Its runs on top settings around 60 -70 frams avarge. i think the journel setup is great, each quest is told like a story, great and uniquie, main quest is mark on map, side quest are not , pefect balance. im playing it on hard taking my time over it, thankyou devlopers for witcher 2!

p.s Pc gamer review, not gd, 89 % don't know what plant ther living on. lol "its was too easy when i play on easy and nomal settings", turn to hard maybe, noob lol
  30. May 19, 2011
    One of the best RPGs I have ever played. Yes you may need a higher end PC to run this game, but they did a fantastic job making this game look as good as it does using DX9. TW2 improves on almost every aspect of TW1. There are so many (different) choices to make through out the game that you can't help but want to playthrough it more than once. Kudos to CD Projekt Red for making us such aOne of the best RPGs I have ever played. Yes you may need a higher end PC to run this game, but they did a fantastic job making this game look as good as it does using DX9. TW2 improves on almost every aspect of TW1. There are so many (different) choices to make through out the game that you can't help but want to playthrough it more than once. Kudos to CD Projekt Red for making us such a great game, I can only hope all their future titles have the the same time and care put into them as TW2 had. Expand
  31. May 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm thinking that the Witcher 2 is one of the best rpg ever. This game have everythink what do you want in action-rpg game. Graphic is brilliant I never see better graphic in rpg game Expand
  32. May 28, 2011
    beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeest game ever
  33. May 20, 2011
    This is the best game i've ever play.
    I think this is the best game in this decade. (no, sorry the witcher 2 will be better^^)
    The Witcher 2 has very good plot and combat system.
    I recommend that game for every player who like RPG games
  34. May 20, 2011
    I haven't played all the way through obviously, but so far everything is great. Graphics are amazing, combat is fun and challenging. Easily ten times better than either Dragon Age one ore Dragon Age two.
  35. May 20, 2011
    An absolutely breathtaking game, that constantly keeps you interested and immersed within the game world to such a degree that even while your not playing it, your thinking about it! I haven't encountered a game that is as addictive and graphically stunning as this and hopefully it will be a new benchmark for future games to meet. Aside from the graphics, the content within the gameAn absolutely breathtaking game, that constantly keeps you interested and immersed within the game world to such a degree that even while your not playing it, your thinking about it! I haven't encountered a game that is as addictive and graphically stunning as this and hopefully it will be a new benchmark for future games to meet. Aside from the graphics, the content within the game itself is top-notch, not just the main quest but also the side-quests as everything builds up into one large adventure. The voice acting and dialogue is up there with the best, but one thing pushes this game infront of the others. That is the amount of choices you, as a player are overwhelmed with throughout the game. You may be like me and spend as much time in your inventory screen as you do when deciding which option to pick in an important conversation. The combat has a fairly steep learning curve which in my opinion is a positive aspect of the game, considering that it actually feels like a challenge and not one of those games you can just hack and slash your way through without much care and it also adds to the replayability (not just the 16 different endings). Once you gain the hang of it you'll be smiling as you send the limbs of your opponents flying off into a pool of blood with some awsome swordplay. For me this game has rekindled my love for the RPG genre and PC games in general. A definate favourite for the year and look foward to the free DLC.
    One bit of advice..... pick it up if you haven't, definatley a game thats worth the dolla!
  36. May 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Witcher 2 is my first CDproject game iv played, Iam ashamed to say but what a pleasant surpise. The game begins with Gerlat in a cell and shows as to how he went from king Foltest personal protector to his accused murderer after you escape the prison by means of stealth, shear force or to a lesser extent diplomacy you begin the adeventure of clearing your name. With out revealing much more the story is well paced and should keep most fantasy fans hooked till the end. The game is vast as to what you can do with a robust crafting system letting you make anything from swords to armour to buffs/potions as you'll need them to increase your chances of survival as the games combat can be brutal. The combat is comprised of light and heavy attacks, parrying, dodging and magic and you will need them all if you want to be a good Wither if you have played Demons Souls then you should get a good idea as to how the combat plays just speed it up a notch. The dialouge options are well rounded to suit the charater theres a bit of freedom as to what kind of things you say from intimidating to sarcastic, It tops most RPGs and is one of the best this genertation with its harsh apporach to combat and lack of nursing its a raw RPG that all can enjoy if you give your self time to adjust how unforgiving it can be. Expand
  37. May 21, 2011
    I am very disappointed with this game and I can't believe when people say that it could be the GOTY and one of the best RPGs out there. The game has insane performance issues. The game is very demanding on the graphics requirements, so I must run it on low settings and even with that the game sometimes bogs down horribly. Moreover, the camera and characters have horrible issues, especiallyI am very disappointed with this game and I can't believe when people say that it could be the GOTY and one of the best RPGs out there. The game has insane performance issues. The game is very demanding on the graphics requirements, so I must run it on low settings and even with that the game sometimes bogs down horribly. Moreover, the camera and characters have horrible issues, especially in cutscenes, where a character, for example, will finish speaking a line and then glitch into another position. Sometimes archers will shoot at you while facing a wall. Interacting with objects can be horribly annoying, especially since Geralt likes to keep moving for an excessive amount of time after you've released movement keys. The tutorial could be useful if it had been done properly, half the time I didn't even notice the tips; sometimes because they appeared after the event, sometimes because I was too busy fighting enemies to notice -no, the game doesn't pause for you to read. All of these can be considered as minor issues once you get to the core of the problem: The game is not an RPG, unless you consider FFXIII an RPG. Character growth is a joke, and combat is an even bigger joke. The game feels like a port even though it isn't. Fighting enemies requires absolutely no strategy, just smashing the left and right mouse buttons. There is also a very broken stealth system and before you end the initial sequence of the story, you find more holes in it than a cheese grater.
    I wanted to like this game, really. But when the characters are shallow and the gameplay is absolutely dreadful, well, wanting to like it just doesn't cut it. If you want a real RPG, go back to Bethesda or Bioware.
  38. May 21, 2011
    Good:
    - graphics is amazing
    - superb story - this is not your regular hack and slash rpg ~~ Bad: - inventory mechanics is a bit disorganized and sometimes confusing. - item looting is lame; picking up items is too fast that i don't even see what i'm picking up because it just grabs everything. - bugs are present but should be fixed with future patches. - fighting animation should be
    Good:
    - graphics is amazing
    - superb story
    - this is not your regular hack and slash rpg

~~ Bad:
    - inventory mechanics is a bit disorganized and sometimes confusing.
    - bugs are present but should be fixed with future patches.
    - fighting animation should be enhanced more; it's like slashing through paper every time i hit a monster.

~~ Conclusion:
    a well made game but not a perfect one.
  39. Jun 5, 2011
    Witcher 2 was everything Dragon Age 2 tried but failed to be. It's a gritty, serious, mature sequel. There in lies a problem. It's hard to simply pick up and know exactly what is going on. The world of the witcher is a deep mythology. The combat can also be complex and difficult to manage if you're used to playing on consoles. However, the story is rich and choices are reflected in yourWitcher 2 was everything Dragon Age 2 tried but failed to be. It's a gritty, serious, mature sequel. There in lies a problem. It's hard to simply pick up and know exactly what is going on. The world of the witcher is a deep mythology. The combat can also be complex and difficult to manage if you're used to playing on consoles. However, the story is rich and choices are reflected in your actions. Further, the game rewards you for thoughtful consideration of how you progress your character with regard to how you play and for exploration of the world. Further, the graphics are impressive. It's the best RPG of the year and rivals Dragon Age: Origins. Expand
  40. May 25, 2011
    I am both amazed at the improvements to Geralt's virtual world as I am disappointed in the new combat system. I was a big fan of The Witcher, and I am learning to enjoy The Witcher 2. The Witcher had me from the first hour of play. The Witcher 2 does not have the same magic, IMHO. I'm sure the forthcoming patch will improve things. Kudos to everything but the dumbed down console styleI am both amazed at the improvements to Geralt's virtual world as I am disappointed in the new combat system. I was a big fan of The Witcher, and I am learning to enjoy The Witcher 2. The Witcher had me from the first hour of play. The Witcher 2 does not have the same magic, IMHO. I'm sure the forthcoming patch will improve things. Kudos to everything but the dumbed down console style play. The latter along with weakening the character does not make for a great for a better game. The authors should have stuck to PC or programmed a separate track for PC. Still entertaining. Expand
  41. May 22, 2011
    Game looks absolutely fantastic... Great writing... The well narrated non-linear story.. Nice... very nice... I'm love it :) Well done CD Projekt Red !!!!!!
  42. May 23, 2011
    Excellent game, worth the money + they really pushed the boat out with basic hard copy extras! Well done guys keep it up! cant wait for the witcher 3. lol @ how well the boobs and vagina have been textured, obviously very well researched! On a side note, love how they have used the northern irish accent! good too see that we are rubbing off on the polish that come to live/visit here!
  43. May 23, 2011
    It's a good game, much better than Dragon Crap 2. The Combat has a learning curve and go's from hard to too easy later in the game. The graphics and aesthetics are great. The story is great, and the combat can be great. It's nice to play a game where you are not in the same town the entire game with recycled stages and horrible graphics.
  44. May 23, 2011
    Kudos CD Project. Awesome game, GOTY in my book. It is what an RPG is all about, in depth story and amazing game play. Choices impacts the game so much that you can see different towns all together. Graphics are amazing and it's by far the most gorgeous, I'm on GTX560 Ti and its really beautiful on medium specs (if you can run it on High, you're in for a treat). Dragon Age 2 was a hugeKudos CD Project. Awesome game, GOTY in my book. It is what an RPG is all about, in depth story and amazing game play. Choices impacts the game so much that you can see different towns all together. Graphics are amazing and it's by far the most gorgeous, I'm on GTX560 Ti and its really beautiful on medium specs (if you can run it on High, you're in for a treat). Dragon Age 2 was a huge letdown, but this game definitely brought a tear to my eye. GO GET IT! Expand
  45. May 24, 2011
    The best cRPG of decade. GOTD (Game of the decade) Amazing story, brillant graphic- This game is must-buy!!!! and i agree with @RogerEbertJr Bioware fanboys ratting game down.
  46. May 24, 2011
    This game is groundbreaking and unique. Best RPG I have ever played!
    Difficult! Demanding! Intelligent! Funny! Intriguing! Epic and beautiful!
    Heh ... The Witcher 2 "Assassin of Kings. "
    Yes! Witcher Geralt of Rivia - Assassin of RPG "Kings" such as Bioware:)
  47. May 24, 2011
    I am a bit disappointed with the second part of The Witcher Saga. It's still a great game but some things really piss me off. My biggest problem is the length of the game, its shorter than the first one but at least the authors got the balls to admit it (watch dev diary). My only hope lies in those free DLC's with extra side quests. The story tries to be as much enjoyable as the originalI am a bit disappointed with the second part of The Witcher Saga. It's still a great game but some things really piss me off. My biggest problem is the length of the game, its shorter than the first one but at least the authors got the balls to admit it (watch dev diary). My only hope lies in those free DLC's with extra side quests. The story tries to be as much enjoyable as the original books by Sapkowski but fails miserably in some points along the way. Anyone who read the books will admit that some dialogues feel clumsy and totally unnecessary. Bestiary is full of monsters but what about some regular animals that can be dangerous as well, no wolves, no bears no other predators. Even monsters are limited in variety. Again, there were much more types of monsters in the book, heck even the first game had them more. Some people bash the meditation system (drinking potions before the fight no potions in the actual battles) but that how it works folks read the books and you will know.
    Overall the game is good but I'm thinking about Extended Edition like with the first one. Improved inventory, better locking system, more balanced difficulty levels, smaller saves (16MB for a single save WTF??). Until then only 8.0 but a real strong one.
  48. May 27, 2011
    I must admit that I am not a hardcore RPG fan and that might be why the high tempo fighting was a huge pro for me. The inventory system can be a bit tedious at times but it doesn't take anything away from this masterpiece.

In a nutshell, The Witcher 2 has great interactive story, fluent exiting combat and a lot of room to develop your character towards your desired path.
  49. May 24, 2011
    Quality game. Has it flaws, but idea and story is refreshing. The wither's 1 plot was a bit unconvincing, there were good dialogues, and characters but in sequel they developers made huge step towards greatness. For me the best of fantasy RPG since Planescape: Torment.

I give it 9, (although it deserves 9.5)
  50. May 24, 2011
    I can't say yet whether it's GOTY material but it is certainly one of the best games I've played this year. The graphics are beautiful and the characters were engaging. The combat is a bit challenging and the prologue can get a bit overwhelming for players not used to the Witcher world. The best part about the game is the re-playability factor because different choices you make will exposeI can't say yet whether it's GOTY material but it is certainly one of the best games I've played this year. The graphics are beautiful and the characters were engaging. The combat is a bit challenging and the prologue can get a bit overwhelming for players not used to the Witcher world. The best part about the game is the re-playability factor because different choices you make will expose you to a different environment altogether. I'm already about to start with my second play-through. The DRM-free and free DLCs of the game is also a big plus in my book! :) Expand
  51. May 24, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is simply one of the best games ever made! Very complex story, awesome fighting system, really beautiful graphics - this game has it all. Game of the year IMO.
  52. May 25, 2011
    Sensational game. CD Projekt will be rubbing shoulders with Blizzard and Valve soon if they keep up this quality. The attention to detail throughout is on a new level, you can't help but stop and gaze through a markets goods or simply watch villagers as they go about their day-to-day business. The story so far is enthralling and the character design is Blizzard standard. Hat's off to CDSensational game. CD Projekt will be rubbing shoulders with Blizzard and Valve soon if they keep up this quality. The attention to detail throughout is on a new level, you can't help but stop and gaze through a markets goods or simply watch villagers as they go about their day-to-day business. The story so far is enthralling and the character design is Blizzard standard. Hat's off to CD Projekt, I've not been so happy with a purchase in as long as I can remember.â Expand
  53. May 25, 2011
    Brilliant game after the disappointment of Dragon Age 2. An involved Story with memorable characters, stunning graphics and an immersive world where the residents actually feel alive. The combat takes some getting used to and makes you plan for encounters before jumping in.

Not a fan of the 'quick time events' particularly and would recommend a thorough read of the manual before playing. The standard premium edition box makes a pleasant change from the usual crappy standard plastic DVD case and disc and represents brilliant value for money.

I'm already looking forward to the next game
  54. May 25, 2011
    I'm writing this little review simply because I believe that you can never say enough positive things about this game. I run a mid-range PC (with a 3.2 Ghz phenom x4 cpu and Radeon HD 5770 gfx card) and I played this game at the recommended (high) settings and I never ran into any problems. The game is gorgeous, the characters are believable and sympathetic, the story is enthralling, andI'm writing this little review simply because I believe that you can never say enough positive things about this game. I run a mid-range PC (with a 3.2 Ghz phenom x4 cpu and Radeon HD 5770 gfx card) and I played this game at the recommended (high) settings and I never ran into any problems. The game is gorgeous, the characters are believable and sympathetic, the story is enthralling, and it's a helluva lot of fun. You'll feel like your choices have impact and you'll want to play again and again to see how the story can unfold. It's clear that the developers put a lot of love into this game. If you're a fan of well-made, mature RPGs, then this game is right for you. Do yourself a favor and pick this game up. Expand
  55. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioware fanboys trying to lower score of Witcher , its only shows how this game is great. CDP RED is new king of cRPG's and nothing change that... This game is a absolutely brilliant. 10/10. Expand
  56. May 26, 2011
    It could have been a contender, instead the Witcher2 is just another console victim. Gone is the quality PC RPG with a deep story, an engaging charters. In it's place is a confusing mess that for some is not even playable. To be fair, this is a beautiful game if you have a PC that can handle it. The environments are beautiful and the amount of invisible walls is far less than otherIt could have been a contender, instead the Witcher2 is just another console victim. Gone is the quality PC RPG with a deep story, an engaging charters. In it's place is a confusing mess that for some is not even playable. To be fair, this is a beautiful game if you have a PC that can handle it. The environments are beautiful and the amount of invisible walls is far less than other similar game. The cities seem to have some life to them unlike the empty world in Dragon Age where the people don't speak and the doors don't open.

The story is passable, but at times it confuses even it's self. NPC's deliver bits of the story, and then stay in the same location forever. The Prologue really bothered me. Here is our Witcher being interrogated by Roche like they are complete strangers including the initial greeting, but as the Witcher tell his story, you can clearly see that they know each other. A bad start that left me questions where it was going to go from here.

The interface is pure console. While nothing is wrong with that, I enjoy many console game and find that a well done menu system works well with a controller. However, this is so poorly implemented for use with a mouse and keyboard. Icons have no clear meaning, the inventory has no sorting or filtering and for some reason, Geralt has become so dumb that he cannot memorize anything, he has to carry everything with him.

Gameplay is a true mix of good and bad. At times combat seems to work, when you are battling a few enemies it can be enjoyable. But as soon as you add a few more enemies to the mix, it becomes a button clicking mess. Dare to turn your perspective during these battles and you immediately change enemies. Gone is the combat strategy from W1 where timing and clicking at the right time lead to a flurry of moves. In place we have a whirling slashing mess that we have no control over. An please, developers, stop with the QTE's, we do not enjoy them. I don't want limited control, I want full control.

Alchemy has become a frustrating disaster. Apparently Geralt has to know the future. Because the only way to consume potions is to meditate BEFORE you start a battle and no,,there is no healing at all. So save lots. Lastly, is the state of the game. For me it was a constant crash fest. I look forward to going again now the patches have started, but after 3 years of development it should have been better. And forget support, CDProjekt should be ashamed of themselves. Days before the launch, the official forums were taken down, and over a week into the launch, gamers are expressing their frustrations on GOG and Steam, but not in any place that the support behind the game can help. Fans helping fans is what we are are left with.

What I was hoping for, was the Witcher world taken to a new level. What I got was the Witcher world shaken up, half baked, converted from a stat based RPG, to an Action based RPG for the console crowd. Looks like my hopes will need to be directed to Skyrim.
  57. May 27, 2011
    This game is a masterpiece. It is beautiful, challenging and rewarding. The
    attention to detail is incredible and it contributes to the creation of an
    amazingly lively world - the best I've ever seen in a game. Keep in mind though that the game requires involvement and willingness to learn how to use the many options and abilities that it has to offer. Otherwise it might just become
    This game is a masterpiece. It is beautiful, challenging and rewarding. The
    attention to detail is incredible and it contributes to the creation of an
    amazingly lively world - the best I've ever seen in a game. Keep in mind
    though that the game requires involvement and willingness to learn how to
    use the many options and abilities that it has to offer. Otherwise it might
    just become frustrating to play, because it will not hold you hand. It
    challenges you to think for yourself, it will not show you every step of the
    way. Few games these days treat you like an intelligent person, not like a
    moron. It is a very special experience, which is why I warmly recommend it.
  58. May 27, 2011
    Ok, I just took the Witcher 2 off of my computer. Not because I hated the game, but because the new patch caused some problems with the game. The thing is, I don't think I will be putting it back on. This game is thoughtful, gritty, beautiful, and has one of the best individual story lines I've seen in an RPG in many years. Unfortunately, it is all laid to waste by the combat. I am a fanOk, I just took the Witcher 2 off of my computer. Not because I hated the game, but because the new patch caused some problems with the game. The thing is, I don't think I will be putting it back on. This game is thoughtful, gritty, beautiful, and has one of the best individual story lines I've seen in an RPG in many years. Unfortunately, it is all laid to waste by the combat. I am a fan of Ninja Gaiden. Having said that, I do not mind difficult combat. What I do have a problem with, is sluggish and unresponsive combat. I suppose playing with a microsoft controller instead of a keyboard might help a bit, but combat on a keyboard has been little more than an exercise in frustration for me. Clunky and unintuitive are the nicest terms I can use to describe it. In an environment where three or four unblocked strikes can kill one of the toughest Witchers in Temerian history, it stands to reason that the combat should be as polished as possible. I don't mind challenging, or even very challenging, but fighting a control system hell bent on as much micomanagement as possible just seems a little tedious. One of the reasons I loved the Witcher one so much, was because you could play the entire game with just the mouse. The setup was as simple as it was elegant and made for fun, engrossing experience. I could put in the time and effort needed to master the keyboard combat in this game, and I am told it actually gets much easier as you progress and invest in the skill trees, but it just sounds like a chore to me now. I may give it another shot with my new PC controller and see if I can make better progress, but for now I think I'll just try L..A. Noire. Expand
  59. May 27, 2011
    This game is the best RPG I've ever played. Though now that I think of it, that's not so much (other RPG's I've played are Oblivion, Morrowind, Nehrim and Mass Effect 1). The beginning was hellishly difficult, but in that satisfying way. Don't get me wrong, you WILL die, a lot in fact. I always hoped for a game in which the amount of effort you put in your skills and equipment pays out- inThis game is the best RPG I've ever played. Though now that I think of it, that's not so much (other RPG's I've played are Oblivion, Morrowind, Nehrim and Mass Effect 1). The beginning was hellishly difficult, but in that satisfying way. Don't get me wrong, you WILL die, a lot in fact. I always hoped for a game in which the amount of effort you put in your skills and equipment pays out- in the end of this game you will feel divine, as the 3 soldiers who killed you oh-so-many-times in the prologue, can be slayed with an epic cut-scene after one click of the x button. In most games you hardly get to feel the effect of your decisions, in this game I had to spend hours thinking of my next move, and my next choice (I'm so so sorry Roche). The ending, though rushed to some, was suitably epic, violent yet peaceful, settling yet cliffhanging. With no doubt, Skyrim is going to have one hell of a time trying to beat this king of the hill in RPGs.

(And if someone manages to complete the game in Insanity mode, a thousand Internets to you)

P.S: What's with this error saying that Score (10.0) id must be a floating point number? For future reference, I'd give to game a 10/10
  60. May 27, 2011
    I won't go into plot details to avoid spoilers. Let's just say the story is mature (political intrigue, racism, etc.). There is no corny white vs. black decisions, and the decisions you do make WILL impact your gaming experience. The story, like the game overall, is immersive.

INCREDIBLY IMMERSIVE. The graphics are stellar, not only the best of any RPG that I've seen, but any game

INCREDIBLY IMMERSIVE.

The graphics are stellar, not only the best of any RPG that I've seen, but any game period. They are that good.

The combat takes some getting used to. I personally found using an XBOX controller superior to using a keyboard and mouse. To some, this may scream streamlining for consoles. Believe me, that's not the case. We had controllers for the PC long before game consoles appeared. You will find it challenging in the early going even on easy. You will get your butt kicked.

Which is good.

Lately it seems even nightmare and hard levels are too easily conquered (see Dragon Age). For me, that takes away the satsifaction of playing a game. There must be challenge, and here, oh boy, there is.

The best feature of the Witcher 2 isn't singular. This is an incredible game. It is evolutionary, challenging, beautiful, dark and immersive doesn't cover how much it will suck you into the world of Geralt.

If you buy one game this year or even in the next ten, buy this one. It is a masterpiece (and that's something I've never said about ANY game).
  61. May 27, 2011
    Game is awesome so far, only issue I had was a few bugs but barely noticed. it's not perfect but it's damn close. Graphics are amazing! but you need a lot of hardware. The story is very engaging.
  62. May 28, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a masterpiece, an epic adult story controlled by the player, its not an open world game because it doesnt have to be, yes you can explorer huge areas and admir the scenary but its the decisions you make and the no right or wrong, just different paths to take that make this game replayable many times. The Graphics are amazing, huge detail, great design, The gameplay hasThe Witcher 2 is a masterpiece, an epic adult story controlled by the player, its not an open world game because it doesnt have to be, yes you can explorer huge areas and admir the scenary but its the decisions you make and the no right or wrong, just different paths to take that make this game replayable many times. The Graphics are amazing, huge detail, great design, The gameplay has Mass effect controlls which they changed as they were originally like W1 I don't mind that, the combat is amazing but very hard to master, you just can't run in hacking and slashing as you will die in seconds (someone Score it 2 saying it's a hack n slash action game, anyone who's played and complete it would know that is a rubbish statement, why don't these reviewers just play it and stop supporting their faviourite game, be a whore and like other games) The choice and consiquence system is amazing (C&C) I chose to walk away at the end and thats just what Geralt did with the story left right open (witcher 3 or DLC)but there are 16 ends, I guess I'll have to play through 16 times, it took me 50 hrs the first time, how the hell did people complete it in 20 to 30 hrs, I didnt finish 25 quests and did 50+, I guess they are masters of rpgs. The Sound wow, great voice acting, background ambience, the music score is simply the best I have ever heard for a game and maybe even film. The presentation is also very good. The Witcher 2 does have some minor flaws but theyre not game breaking and with the patches it will keep improving + free DLC. Only one game (RPG) can be as great as The Witcher 2 this year, Skyrim and I hope it is. Expand
  63. Jun 29, 2011
    THE BEST RPG OF THE YEAR!!! Fantastic graphic and gameplay. Epic story & fantastic andeventures. Now i wait to Witcher 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  64. May 28, 2011
    ALMOST GAME OF THE YEAR but MOST DEFINITELY(for now, until Skyrim and Deus Ex come out since they are possible contenders as well) BEST RPG this year and many more before it.

I'll apologize in advance to my constant debunking and referencing DA2 since it's a good game to compare TW2 with, at least in the sense that it succeeds in many aspects DA2 failed to deliver in. And I am putting it mildly since DA2 disappointed me more than any other game to date.

To be perfectly honest, I love rpgs, play them hell out of them.. from JRPGs like SMT, persona series, tales series to final fantasy. Betheseda's oblivion, fallout and all of Bioware's games.

Long story short, I LOVE rpgs and I've been in love with them since I was a child. I love complex mechanics, deep gameplay, challenges and character progression, and similarly I adore strong stories with plenty of momentum. And recently, with the recent trend in western rpgs, a large element of choice and moral ambiguity, with the repercussions that follow. And to be perfectly honest TW2 surpassed every expectation.

To be honest, when I first heard about it, I didn't give it much thought, DA2 was over the horizon and I was expecting it with bated breath following DAO, which was a strong(though flawed) successor to Baldur's Gate. Though, following the string(and a very long one at that) of disappointments with DA2, and the incredibly bad taste in my mouth after playing through it, I started to look hopefully towards TW2.

To start off with, the graphics are the BEST graphics you'll ever see in any rpg. Though true, most RPGs tend to have weak graphics to begin with, TW2 actually outshines many games with the high level textures, dynamic shadows, SSAO and a myriad of other lightning, rendering and processing effects that truly make the game shine.

Furthermore, the design of the areas and locations is very well done and you can see the amount of work done to make it that way. As you walk through forests, you can see lots of bushes, foliage and grass tucking in and out around the pathways or the trees in the distance with sordid detail. Unlike other RPGs like DA2, where the areas are dull, bland with flat terrains, without anything but dirt moss textures under them. The terrain and environment in TW2 features an attention to detail that is difficult to find in many games and this is one of the main reasons it can be very immersive.

Next up, the combat is fun and engaging, FAR from perfect though, mainly due to technical issues. The developers took inspiration from Demon's Souls, which means enemies hurt, with even meager enemies being able to destroy you if you get surrounded and they all attack at once. Unlike games like Assassin's Creed, enemies don't wait while you hack down their companions, they attack and don't mind interrupting you. This could get very frustrating combined with the poor targeting system and technical drawbacks

:for some users, there is input lag, which accompanies the performance issues, especially on ATI cards for the moment, then sometimes there is a delay between actions that hav random durations, implying that there may be problems with the combat engine. Though I haven't experienced either of these myself, it is worth noting.

Though moving past it, the combat is deeply satisfying with the hits really really feeling powerful(unlike in DA2, where on harder difficulties, you can thwack enemies with POWERFUL looking hits while taking out.. .1% of their lifebar?) while looking very majestic(think Assassin's Creed in a way). Also, the game provides many ways to tackle your foes. From using the magic to rain death on enemies, to swords, to blasting opponents to hell with an arsenal of bombs and traps as you fight a war of attrition against your foes.

The story is also well done, though it isn't brilliant. It'll be hard getting all the references, nods and such to the original game as well as some plot points. Though it plays its cards well, wherein you aren't a hero, just an apparently special Witcher that is trying to regain his memory and clear his name. The real shining point in this game however is the depth in the choices you make. Geralt is, for the most part, who you want him to be. And it's much deeper than Dragon Age 2, with some key decisions made in the first Act changing everything about how you'll trudge through the next few, changing allegiances, characters and entire quest lines. Also, the sidequests don't feel like boring fetch quests like DA2 with rehashed dungeons(4 times or more), they feel more significant(like a self contained story), with many being morally ambiguous, with some spanning more than one chapter. And there are also many ways to finish a quest, which is a refreshing change of pace.

Though I could elaborate more, I think it would suffice to say that TW2 is certainly one of the best RPGs out there and it's a real MUST buy
  65. May 28, 2011
    I recommend. If you have the option, play The Witcher 1 first (still an amazing game), and then buy The Witcher 2.
    Just know that this games are for serious gamers... You will have to learn the mechanics and read the texts and so on... Or you will get lost very fast.
    The reviewer from "the escapist" wrote: ...died so easily and so many times in the first seconds of the game that I began to wonder if I was just an idiot...
    He is just an idiot.
  66. May 29, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a great game. I wont be a fanboy and pretend it is perfect, because simply put, it isn't, but that doesn't change the fact it is one of the biggest and best games 2011 has to offer.

PROS: Combat - the combat is really diverse and just to survive on Normal Difficulty or harder, you WILL need to employ your alchemy and magic as well as your sword play tactics. Running in

PROS:

Combat - the combat is really diverse and just to survive on Normal Difficulty or harder, you WILL need to employ your alchemy and magic as well as your sword play tactics. Running in and just slashing the crap out of enemies doesn't work in this game because it forces you to be much smarter in how you approach to deal with enemies and scenarios.

Story - The story is fantastic and really draws you in. If you haven't played or beaten the first Witcher, rest assure that you will be able to get a basic sense of whats going on and so on and so forth. However, it does help knowing the back story since it makes events, characters and certain missions much more important and personal. The only people who will be truly at home with the story will be those who read the books, but this doesn't require you to do so.WORD OF WARNING: If you are interested in playing this game, then you should have already seen the M rating it has received, but for the few who are unaware, this is by far a very adult game. It has sex scenes [you are given options for partners depending how you deal with scenarios], bloody violence [decapitations and so forth], mature topics [such as incest, rape, murder], and harsh language. There are definitely elements which would offend some, but the reasons these are part of the game and story isn't for a so-called 'shock value' but a real and stoic representation of a mature world where good and evil are not so easily divided. Because of that, this game is great because its rare that adults get a good story but one that is not geared towards a younger generation [BTW the games that are geared for younger people aren't necessarily bad, it's just appropriate for those settings].

Gameplay - Fun but requires thinking [this game is literally more of a RPG compared to Dragon Age 1 and so on and so forth]. You make decisions that do seriously affect the outcome of where the second and third chapter could take place and from what I understand, there are 16 different endings based on your decisions. What makes this fantastic is that decisions aren't necessarily GOOD and EVIL, but gray areas in which you might have to pick the lesser of two evils or decide how to take advantage of a situation which would be bad for many but help you and your cause. This is a mature approach to a serious game and I give it heart felt approval for the developers going down that path.

Music/Sound - Fantastic. Has dark themes as well idyllic music that helps to really flesh out the world and nothing that's annoying or out of place.

CONS:

Story - The ending leaves a bit to be desired and mature themes will definitely be towards a more adult audience.

Combat - As fun and inventive the combat was, it will be difficult for a select few to approach. This game really emphasizes complete control and for some it can be frustrating when they keep on dying because they weren't fast enough for a dodge or other things.
    Sound/Graphics - While yes, the graphics and animations are SUPERB, you need to keep in mind that you need hardware to run this game. This is not Crysis 2 but then again that doesn't mean you need less powerful hardware. Make sure that you check thoroughly that you can run this game smoothly because I can see frame rate issues and other things seriously messing up combat.
    ALSO: While the world is beautiful and the clothes and people look lifelike and real, voice-speaking animations do hiccup a bit and lag every once in a while [but is more of a minor annoyance]. Don't forget that this game was made in Europe with the native tongue being recorded in some other language and while, yes they do English dubbs and so forth, the voice acting is great but then again, it doesn't do miracles at other parts. Still good all things considered.

Yes, this was a long review, but hopefully this gives ideas to those who are eying this game on the fence and are unsure whether or not it is for them. I personally LOVE this game and everything it has to offer. It is extremely re-playable and a fun world to traverse through but there will be a few people who may be turned off by its difficulty and how hard the combat and quests can become. But hey, that's why we have game guides right? ;) Must have for RPG/Fantasy lovers!
  67. Dec 12, 2011
    Visceral combat, gorgeous graphics, engrossing story. CD Projekt gives us the experience Bioware failed to deliver with DA2. I heard some disappointment about the conclusion of the story, but I don't share those sentiments. It could've been longer of course, but that can be said of any good thing.
  68. Jun 2, 2011
    It expands upon The Witcher in every possible way, and The Witcher was by far the best rpg of this generation. A true and spectacular sequel, a game that shouldn't be missed by anyone who calls himself a gamer. It's not flawless but it's also as close to the perfect rpg as it can be. Congratulations to CDProjekt Red
  69. Jun 2, 2011
    I could easily put it on my top5 rpg games of the decade... and I played them ALL. A game that brings the epicness of Baldur's Gate story telling along with astonishing graphics as a cherry on the top. Don't you dare not getting yourself a copy.
  70. May 30, 2011
    Definitely comparable to Dragon Age. This RPG offers a great amount of game play in a beautiful and gritty world. Up with one of my favorites! Bioware has competition.
  71. Jun 11, 2011
    The Witcher 2 represents a step forward in terms of visuals mitigated by more than a couple steps backward in terms of combat, user interface, and alchemy.

Visually, TW2 impresses, even on mid level machines. On high end hardware, the game is simply breath taking. Few games boast such a robust attention to detail. The game is highly GPU dependent as any PC game should be, and even on my outdated EVGA GTS 250, I was able to achieve a more than playable frame rate between 40 and 60 FPS on â
  72. May 30, 2011
    Trolls are still working! I have to, I just have to write what I think. Rating 1 - 4 can not be serious.
    I read game scores written by "gingerbill. He has not played this game! Or playing in something else. Rating 4? It's a farce! This opinion is the same crap! I do not understand these people. Combat is too simple? Ha .. ha .. ha ... Play the "difficult" "
    And there's very little
    And there's very little character development .. "Man, you do not know what you're talking Or not completely understand the game. This is not another game in the" dressing "a hero. Kid, grow up!

Now, seriously:
    Game is pretty much the best game I've played in about 5 years.
    This game is so god dam deep. Chapter 2 in itself becomes completely different if you side with the other person. Now that is what I call decision making.

Everything about this game is just amazing. The combat is deep yet intuitive once you get the hang of it. It may be difficult at times but its one of the reasons why its so good. The story so far is really good and filled with interesting characters, monsters, and locations. Even in the first chapter you can see how the story can branch off and change things.
    The atmosphere in this game is also great. Seeing enemies crawling down trees to attack you, or hearing a loud roar behind you and then seeing a bunch of humanoid monsters running at you. Its all really well done. I've even just spent time walking around the towns listening to conversations and people telling stories. I hope other developers take notes, because this is how an RPG should be made.
  73. May 30, 2011
    Great game! It is something more than the usual RPG.
    I recommend to all who are looking for unforgettable entertainment. Beautiful graphics, interesting story, exciting combat. Sometimes I forget that this is a game. :) Maybe too short. But ... has 16 endings.
    My rating 9.5 -10.
  74. May 31, 2011
    Despite some minor flaws and disappointing epilogue TW2 is a very good game. Challenging combat system, intriguing story, no black-and-white world, interesting characters, great dialogues, no-linear story, absolutely amazing animations and stunning graphics. That's more than enough to give it very good score. I read some reviews and it seems most people who are rating it low are too lazyDespite some minor flaws and disappointing epilogue TW2 is a very good game. Challenging combat system, intriguing story, no black-and-white world, interesting characters, great dialogues, no-linear story, absolutely amazing animations and stunning graphics. That's more than enough to give it very good score. I read some reviews and it seems most people who are rating it low are too lazy to read manual. Expand
  75. May 31, 2011
    No fantasy RPG this year will come close to what this game achieves. It is pretty, challenging, mature and fun and on top of that it has the best graphics on a PC game right now. It is an accomplishment that will be remembered for years to come.
  76. May 31, 2011
    I have no choice giving a so poor note considering the very poor note i think it deserve technologically talking.
    I was waiting theis game for a long time, having been a witcher 1 fan, but im very disapointed. The game is good looking, and story is well wrten but that about all. Graphicly I think it deserve a 7/10 compared to the actual standarts, but where it really sucks its about the way that the heroe moves and how it have to deal very fast with monsters that he dont have what it takes to defeat them.

It the very first time so many good critics for an unfinished game, and honestly I would have prefered to say so much better things about this sequel. For 2007-2009 it would have been in standarts, not in 2011-2012
  77. May 31, 2011
    Great RPG with challenging combat, a deep broody protagonist and a cast of memorable side kicks. I have played through the game twice - hit both main story lines and I'm back for a third. At first I found the combat punishingly difficult (i'm mostly a console gamer - so that might also play into it) but once you get the timeing and nuances of spells, bombs, traps and dodging down itGreat RPG with challenging combat, a deep broody protagonist and a cast of memorable side kicks. I have played through the game twice - hit both main story lines and I'm back for a third. At first I found the combat punishingly difficult (i'm mostly a console gamer - so that might also play into it) but once you get the timeing and nuances of spells, bombs, traps and dodging down it becomes challenging but not frustrating. It is a game that rewards experimentation with the combat as well as with the role playing options. It is really nice to find an RPG that doesn't have a dumbed down combat system. We can handle moral dilema's and blade (or two) at the same time. My only gripe is that the previews made it seem like a much bigger more open world than it really is. I was hoping for maps at least as open as the original Witcher what I got was less open than that but more open then say Dragon II. As that expectation was raised I was initially somewhat disappointed to find the areas to be explored rather limited. As with the original expect a good deal of profanity, pretty close to full frontal female nudity, and moderately graphic simulated sex. Expand
  78. Jun 4, 2011
    Let's look at this game for what it is and try and dispel a few unworthy comparisons; firstly for the newcomers to the Witcher series, yes I think it does help if you've played the first one - one of the better decision based RPGs (where small decision mattered and could affect gameplay) and no, it didn't copy DA:O -- it was 2 years before, weâ
  79. Jun 3, 2011
    CD Projekt's work is, once again, amazing - and not simply just the game, their after-sale/release support and service is top notch, fixing issues quickly and giving customers an excellent gaming experience. The Witcher 2 is beautiful, not just visually but for once we have a game that doesn't feel the need to blatantly state EVERY SINGLE LITTLE PLOT DETAIL IN CAPS. This is perhaps mostCD Projekt's work is, once again, amazing - and not simply just the game, their after-sale/release support and service is top notch, fixing issues quickly and giving customers an excellent gaming experience. The Witcher 2 is beautiful, not just visually but for once we have a game that doesn't feel the need to blatantly state EVERY SINGLE LITTLE PLOT DETAIL IN CAPS. This is perhaps most prominent in the beginning; they let you piece what is going on bit by bit, without treating you like a moronic twelve year old. This truly is for a mature audience - and I love it. Expand
  80. Jun 3, 2011
    >It's an RPG without stupid looking armor and sword floating on your back
    >Non Linear your Act 2 will be completely different depending on your choice in Act 1 new map quests
    >Dynamic Lighting, Extremely detailed Textures
    >Story and choices are gray meaning not Good Vs. Evil
    >The game doesn't hold your hand like a child
    >Combat is challenging
  81. Jun 6, 2011
    I would give it a 9.5 if it were possible, but it's not worth a 9. Witcher 2 is an amazing rpg, though it does have minor flaws that disrupt the almost-seamless world and character animation. Graphics are out of this world--hot! PC game companies sharing the industry with console better beware, Witcher 2 is PC-made first (though will be on console later), and it is striking. TheI would give it a 9.5 if it were possible, but it's not worth a 9. Witcher 2 is an amazing rpg, though it does have minor flaws that disrupt the almost-seamless world and character animation. Graphics are out of this world--hot! PC game companies sharing the industry with console better beware, Witcher 2 is PC-made first (though will be on console later), and it is striking. The atmosphere of the world is as addicting as Metro 2033, questing is fun, and the story is exciting. Definitely try this game! Expand
  82. Apr 20, 2012
    Absorbing, dynamic, witty dialogs, gripping, multithreaded story, non-linear quests, absolutely stunning graphics, variegated main characters, great cut-scenes, pretty opening and ending, adequate music, setting based on the series of great novels, completely free DLCs and enhancements, energetic, tactical fighting system and several annoying bugs. Eventually, one of the best role-playingAbsorbing, dynamic, witty dialogs, gripping, multithreaded story, non-linear quests, absolutely stunning graphics, variegated main characters, great cut-scenes, pretty opening and ending, adequate music, setting based on the series of great novels, completely free DLCs and enhancements, energetic, tactical fighting system and several annoying bugs. Eventually, one of the best role-playing games ever made! Expand
  83. Jun 25, 2011
    I don't even know how long I have waited to play this game and I have not been disappointed. It's different to 1, and I still remember everything from 1 it was that epic. I have had to really play again, its the days of old where a game punished you for getting it wrong. I had to prove I can play to get further. The storyline is epic and minor issues I have are minor, the overallI don't even know how long I have waited to play this game and I have not been disappointed. It's different to 1, and I still remember everything from 1 it was that epic. I have had to really play again, its the days of old where a game punished you for getting it wrong. I had to prove I can play to get further. The storyline is epic and minor issues I have are minor, the overall experiance has been awesome just like witcher 1. Expand
  84. Jun 28, 2011
    Miles above from DA2 and the few other new released RPGs, this game is what i call a worthy RPG demigod. Storyline feels as solid as the first if better and the depth has been driven further in making sure that you feel that you are really playing every part possible in char development. I tried DA2 and got bored in like 5 hours, this one i have already filled up 20 hours, i am taking myMiles above from DA2 and the few other new released RPGs, this game is what i call a worthy RPG demigod. Storyline feels as solid as the first if better and the depth has been driven further in making sure that you feel that you are really playing every part possible in char development. I tried DA2 and got bored in like 5 hours, this one i have already filled up 20 hours, i am taking my time in working my way through this one. Money well spent. Expand
  85. Jun 28, 2011
    Awesome RPG from polish developers! Great dialogs, characters, graphics, music and etc.
    The Witcher 2 - Game of the Year 2011 and I love this game! :)
  86. Jun 28, 2011
    With amazing graphics and fluid gameplay, I am glad to have bought this one. As a fan of the first game, i was very excited to see this in the coming. I pre-ordered it the day that it was announced. The story here is one that will be remembered through gaming history. This could easily be game of the year, or best RPG of 2011. I implore those who love long adventures and greatWith amazing graphics and fluid gameplay, I am glad to have bought this one. As a fan of the first game, i was very excited to see this in the coming. I pre-ordered it the day that it was announced. The story here is one that will be remembered through gaming history. This could easily be game of the year, or best RPG of 2011. I implore those who love long adventures and great gameplay to pick this one up. Expand
  87. Jul 2, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011. The single best RPG I have played since Planescape: Torment. The characters are deep and complex, the storyline develops depending on your actions and choices. It takes what was good from every single RPG released in the last 15 years and makes it into something better. The graphics are simply the best ever seen in an RPG
  88. Jul 1, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an amazing game. Thoroughly captivating story, great combat, and a healthy dose of mature content. The Witcher series is the best RPG I have ever played and it is definitely 2011's game of the year. This game provides the player with the ability to decide how they want the story to progressive and it serves up an amazing amount of eye candy. The visualThe Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an amazing game. Thoroughly captivating story, great combat, and a healthy dose of mature content. The Witcher series is the best RPG I have ever played and it is definitely 2011's game of the year. This game provides the player with the ability to decide how they want the story to progressive and it serves up an amazing amount of eye candy. The visual effects in this game are unmatched by any other game on the market currently. The only reason I rate this game 9/10 is because it currently suffers from bugs that are being patched. The Witcher 2 is the best $50 you will spend in 2011. Expand
  89. Jul 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Strong hit from CD Project. Mature, gripping and cinematic story which you can immerse without being disturbed by any unexpected breaks. Great environment (of course if you have devastating PC), interesting characters and definitely huge replayability. Many skills, not so many items and equipment, but we can see progress compering to The Witcher. Yes, I know that fight might be annoying and difficult but usually only at the beginning - of course if you understand that this is RPG not an action game. Expand
  90. Jul 31, 2011
    The original Witcher is possibly the best game i have ever played. It had everything you could want or ask. Witcher 2 to me is a bit of letdown. First the positives. The game graphics are beautiful , the story is great and the music is incredible. Now the negatives. The controls are wonky as hell, i just started to get used to them and the game finished. Game length is i think 1/4 of theThe original Witcher is possibly the best game i have ever played. It had everything you could want or ask. Witcher 2 to me is a bit of letdown. First the positives. The game graphics are beautiful , the story is great and the music is incredible. Now the negatives. The controls are wonky as hell, i just started to get used to them and the game finished. Game length is i think 1/4 of the size of the original. There are many choices to make which promotes replays but i was so shocked it was over i couldn't muster the will to start again. I got it on release and there where many bugs and crashes which were very frustrating because i could not completely immerse myself in the world because i was thinking it would crash any minute. In saying that CD Project are well known for there post release fixes so i hope that is sorted. Bottom line is that i was looking forward to this game for several years and for me it was over in 10 hours. For an FPS that is small but for an RPG it is almost criminal. That ontop of the constant crashes and lack of real control of the character i can only give it a disappointing 5/10 Expand
  91. Sep 25, 2011
    Great story, graphics, and game play, but not as memorable as the first one. The cut scenes were nicely done to build the story but the npc character's relationships with Geralt and their personalities never really developed, and were often ambiguous. Thus, i rarely cared too much about them when i went in hoping for more adventure with my good friends. The fighting is fun but lessGreat story, graphics, and game play, but not as memorable as the first one. The cut scenes were nicely done to build the story but the npc character's relationships with Geralt and their personalities never really developed, and were often ambiguous. Thus, i rarely cared too much about them when i went in hoping for more adventure with my good friends. The fighting is fun but less visceral and immersive than The Witcher 1. Expand
  92. Nov 21, 2011
    I wish DragonAge 2 had been more like this one. A compelling story, lots of content and areas to explore. The soundtrack I found to be wonderful. I'm really hoping we get some downloadable content for this game because I'd like to come back to it.
  93. Mar 20, 2012
    After playing The Witcher 1 and reading what few of the books that have been translated into English; I pretty much knew what to expect in this cRPG. A mostly pre-made character, tons of grey characters, sex, violence, and an extremely provocative story. I was not disappointed. Fans of Skyrim (pretty much everybody and their moms) might not like this game, as it does not give you nearlyAfter playing The Witcher 1 and reading what few of the books that have been translated into English; I pretty much knew what to expect in this cRPG. A mostly pre-made character, tons of grey characters, sex, violence, and an extremely provocative story. I was not disappointed. Fans of Skyrim (pretty much everybody and their moms) might not like this game, as it does not give you nearly the same freedom, but that's okay because the story, combat, and characters surpass Bethesda's "masterpiece" by a huge margin. The presentation here is astounding. To top it all off the graphics are incredible. The engine might not be as robust as DICE's Frostbite 2's, but the artwork and attention to detail are simply astounding.

The only drawbacks to this game are a frustratingly difficult first act, some odd translation issues with expressions and dialogue options that don't make sense, and a rushed ending. I'll elaborate on the ending. It is good and very satisfying, but the third act initially seems like it was supposed to be much longer, and the end comes rather abruptly. The Enhanced edition seems like it will address these issues, and it is coming out next month. I highly recommend this game if you are a fan of low magic, dark-ish fantasy, and great writing. If you would prefer a more traditional, blank-slate cRPG with much crappier writing, then play Skyrim.
  94. Dec 30, 2011
    Huge disappointment......

I was quite fond of the first The Witcher (2007), and had some expectations from its sequel... But the only good improvement I could find it's the faster saving!!!... Graphics - cartoonish, eye-strayingly tiresome; The main character looked better in Witcher 1, he had more distinct personality Gameplay - completely broken; interface itself makes you wanna throw
    Huge disappointment......

Graphics - cartoonish, eye-strayingly tiresome; The main character looked better in Witcher 1, he had more distinct personality Gameplay - completely broken; interface itself makes you wanna throw the game away, unintuitive inventory and skill system... Combat is unsatisfactory and, though real-time, made me prefer a good D&D instead... And considering I hate D&D...

Story/atmosphere - insipid, been there done that; no real moral choices, only the struggle for political power between different-skins-same-heart cartels... Your main character is no longer the independent, lone wolf hero with a distinct neutral alignment from part 1 in 2007. Now he is no more than the king's lackey. When his boss says : "Witcher, jump in that junk pit!", the "hero", with a placid, resigned, inexpressive countenance, responds: "Yes, Sire. How deep?" ....

Probably the main aspect that ruins this over-hyped game is its complicated, uninspired, clunky interface: the small fonts, the chaotic convoluted item/skill categories, the bleary tutorial...

This game is exactly what a true good modern game SHOULD NOT BE...
  95. Feb 18, 2012
    The best graphics. Es un gran juego, tiene una historia adulta, y un juego como ninguno otro, te gustará mucho, pero sin duda, perdió la magia de su precuela.
  96. Aug 31, 2011
    Not as big as a console hatchet job as DA2 was, but the RPG elements have been cut down. Combat balancing was uneven and repetitive. I hated the potion system. The camera was atrocious. It's not very long, but you should get 2 very different run thoughs. A mixed bag, overall.
  97. Jun 17, 2011
    Just finished the game (on Hard setting). Ok... I wanted to love this game, my hopes were high throughout the prologue but then realized it just wasn't to be. First, the graphics are downright beautiful... more-so static than in motion as the game is plagued by horrid texture pop-in regardless of settings and a high-end gpu, at least for myself and quite a few others. Shrubs and rocks willJust finished the game (on Hard setting). Ok... I wanted to love this game, my hopes were high throughout the prologue but then realized it just wasn't to be. First, the graphics are downright beautiful... more-so static than in motion as the game is plagued by horrid texture pop-in regardless of settings and a high-end gpu, at least for myself and quite a few others. Shrubs and rocks will change size when you are within 5 feet of them - understandable for consoles but not for current gpus. Now... the story... The game is divided into 3 chapters. It is extremely political (more than The Witcher 1) and may be unsatisfying to some people. I found it rather dry, but not horrid. I would have preferred less of the medieval political intrigue and more character development along with a more fantasy/mythological outlook, but I suppose they were trying to keep in context to the books... Now, the combat... I didn't hate it but I didn't like it. I found the first Witcher game to have a more satisfying combat system with the role timing played in it. The Witcher 2 took away the timing as well as the group, fast and strong styles, opting for a simple parry system (which I very very rarely used in the game) and the steel sword/ silver sword combo along with magic. The main problem in my view is the balance. I spent 95% of my time using the same strategy for EVERY enemy, and not because I didn't want to experiment but because everything else took much longer and just didn't work as well. It worked like this - use Quen (guard spell that basically makes you invincible for a few seconds), dodge, attack and kill with sword. You have 3 paths you can take for development - Magic, Swordplay, and Alchemy. I first went for magic, but when realizing how pathetic a fully upgraded fire spell was compared to the sword I lost interest. Now for the alchemy - the game has made this quite a chore in my opinion. You can no longer use potions at anytime. You must use them BEFORE battle. And every time it requires an animation scene that definitely could have been shortened. Because of this I never used potions. Let me reiterate - even on Hard combat requires nothing more than what I mentioned before. Also, for some reason they decided to take away storage. You will be spending a lot of time with too much weight on your hands and will try to decide what you need to keep and throw away/or sell. Some might like this but I didn't not find it enjoyable. Now... the environments. I found them to be beautiful but they felt very limited. The witcher cannot swim. He cannot jump. This isn't open-world. Therefore everything seemed rather linear to me. The environments are nice but not nice enough to prevent you from getting tired of them after doing more than a few quests through them - my main gripe of the first witcher. There isn't much interaction with the environment other than lighting and unlighting fires. The NPCs say the same things constantly regardless of time of day often, and as the chapters progress they seem to say less and less. The diffictultiy... starts off pretty difficult on hard but by the 2nd chapter is pretty easy. I found the ending to be quite unsatisfactory as well, but I won't spoil anything. Expand
  98. Mar 26, 2012
    Likely one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and I've played most of the major ones of the last decade (DAO, Oblivion, Skyrim, Deus Ex: HR). What's most remarkable is how your choices truly do have a major impact on the world: it's not a gimmick or half-gimmick like so many modern RPGs (which often give you the illusion of choice, then railroad your choices as you approach the ending). ItLikely one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and I've played most of the major ones of the last decade (DAO, Oblivion, Skyrim, Deus Ex: HR). What's most remarkable is how your choices truly do have a major impact on the world: it's not a gimmick or half-gimmick like so many modern RPGs (which often give you the illusion of choice, then railroad your choices as you approach the ending). It certainly should have scored higher than Dragon Age: Origins, that's a testament to the flaws of "expert" reviews. Expand
  99. May 23, 2011
    So this is my second review here, TW2 is one of the best RPG games I've played - it has great graphics, good humor, nice story, animations and so on but on the second hand simply I can't give this game more than 7,5. CD Project Red I hope your next game will be better and thanks for TW2!
  100. Jun 20, 2011
    One word to describe it all epic .A little known developer has created a FANTASTIC RPG .Bioware should learn . Many are complaining about the difficulty but its not affecting me.The witcher 2 s graphics make dragon age 2 many generations old.Hats off to CD Projekt Red Studio.This really is a game of the year material.One complain though is that of the inventory and casting ofOne word to describe it all epic .A little known developer has created a FANTASTIC RPG .Bioware should learn . Many are complaining about the difficulty but its not affecting me.The witcher 2 s graphics make dragon age 2 many generations old.Hats off to CD Projekt Red Studio.This really is a game of the year material.One complain though is that of the inventory and casting of spells..While dragon age 2 was a letdown wheres witcher 2 steps into another gear.The atmosphere & environment is great.It makes you sit out and enjoy the environment.The trend is changing .Its not always about the big developers.Along with the price tag I Recommend it to all .Witcher 2 is really anti-bioware material.Bioware u listening Expand
  101. May 18, 2011