8.4

1. May 18, 2011
    This game is everything dragon age shoul have been. I love bioware but if cd project can continue to pump out this quality of a game, the gaming world will have a new rpg leader. It's very mature so do not play around the little ones if you have them. The game is near flawless if not flawless. It is also incredibly challenging. I died a few times during just the prologue. That's not a bad thing. It makes it not feel like such a hack n slash. In dragon age 2 u feel like u can jump into 10 enemies and walk away with ease. Not here. If you jump into more than 2 it makes u sweat. I love that about this game. Graphically it is also really well done. The detail they put into it is astonishing. Foe example,If u bump a bucket of tomatoes it actually falls and the tomatoes fall everywhere. If you have the computer to play it and aren't afraid of nudity or very mature language I can't recommend this game enough Expand
  2. May 18, 2011
    This game is one of the best games I've ever played. So far this year has not been released game RPG that can be better. Gives it 10/10 And this is GOTY 2011.
  3. May 18, 2011
    10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The best RPG game so far this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. May 18, 2011
    Graphics, dialogues (I'm playing with polish dubs), animations, the world - all of that is made of pure win, just as everyone says. So let me tell you what I did NOT like about the Witcher 2 so far (about 10hrs of gameplay).

Combat system is a huge downer for me, because even though there seems to be a decent sytem underneath, the super-fast pacing of the combat does not really give me
    any time to properly learn and utilize it. I am dying a LOT because of that (medium diff.) and combat often feels like a semi-random button smashing.
    Interfaces, while slick in design, are lacking in functionality - ability to compare equipment you are about to buy with stuff you have equipped at the moment is nonexistent, better recipes/plans sorting would be handy, but is absent as well, junk is only visible in "all" section of the inventory and you cant sell it all with one click, etc...
    Oh, and the HW requirements.. I was just fine with my GTS250 1GB until now >_< but W2 looks appropriately good, so... never mind that :)

Well, it will probably still manage to snatch best RPG of 2011 title, since Bioware does not even try these days (and their RPGs are basically just Kotor clones anyway), Skyrim will likely end up sterile and empty as any other TES game so far, Dark Souls..is a bit different kind of beast, and who knows when Risen 2 is going to be released.

I also have to say that so far, I liked the first Witcher more, mainly because it did not punish me for my slow reflexes all the time, just for my bad decisions. (Which is just fine and bioware (and western rpg makers in general) should learn to punish players for bad decisions, not just hand them everything on a silver platter.) Sure, Witcher 2 looks, sounds, is animated and voiced much better, but the first one is pretty decent in these areas too and nothing of that makes the core of RPG gameplay.
  5. May 18, 2011
    I am trying to think of an accurate way to describe this game, which has completely blown me away. How about the best RPG I have played since Planescape Torment? I hope that says enough.
  6. May 18, 2011
    An amazing game. Not just on a technical level, but on an artistic level as well. You can tell people had a lot of passion for this game when thye made it.
  7. May 18, 2011
    The new gold standard for RPG games, Witcher 2 is to the RPG genre as half life was to the FPS genre. The bar has just been set and the king throned.

Amazing graphics with cutting edge technology to push and punish the PC hardware that is rarely thought about by multiplatform games designed around consoles.

An immersive dynamic world where time of day matters and isn't simply a gimmick
    thrown in with reduced brightness. Cities are alive during the day with people doing what people would do instead of just standing around in place for hours like most other games. People interact with each other, go to work, and at night time hit up the pub and whore houses. Find yourself stumbling around in the dead of night down a dark alley and you'll probably run into bandits, drunks stumbling around, and increase monster presence in the wild.

Items, crafting, books, and more items; this game is rich with items. There are tons from different weapons such as halberds to junk items such as handcuffs. Crafting matters and you aren't limited to a single profession but rather you're able to use whatever you please. This means picking up herbs for potions and still being able to upgrade weapons even creating new armors. No restrictions allowing the player to enjoy and do what they please. If you enjoy item aspect of RPG games this game delivers 10 fold.

Engaging and skill based combat. Although Witcher 2 is more action oriented especially the combat that doesn't mean it's a simplistic bush masher where 50 clicks equates to a win. The combat is very tactical and requires timing to succeed. A lot of people find the combat to be difficult but once you've failed a couple of times and get the hang of its uniqueness it is very rewarding. Combat requires thought and planning so trying to play it like typical action based RPG's will result in failure. With 6 different magical abilities, 4 different skill trees, ranged weapons, items, and traps every battle is different and requires it's own solution.

Customization is very alive and well in Witcher 2. With 4 different progression trees that allow players drastically change what their character is an expert in every type of player can find their calling whether it's a something who relies heavily on magic abilities or a player whom decides creating strong potions to add in combat and the creating of powerful bombs the Witcher 2 has you covered. Although you can't customize your character's appearance via different hair, face options, or race the customization in this game via the skill trees and dialogue options like intimidate/influence is anything but frivolous and really adds to the game whereas different hair colors certainly doesn't. Story and re playability. Without spoiling anything and that's hard to do since there are so many choices that affect several other options, questions, and even the world you play in I'll just say it will require several entire play throughs to do it and see all Witcher 2 offers. Unlike other RPG games that pride themselves on "choice" and "consequences" which are clear cut good and bad scale the Witcher 2 is 500 shades of grey where whatever you choose it will probably end badly for someone. This is a dark mature low fantasy world where people are blunt and that rpg status quo doesn't apply. Forget the typical racial stereotypes and get ready for adult language and even nudity. CD Projekt Red decided to offer a truly unique experience for gamers tired of posh fancy elves, the knight in shining armor, and bad guys you couldn't ever relate to. I could never give a game a perfect 10 because there is always something the developer could have done better but in the case of Witcher 2 I'll give it a 10. I do this because of what the developer gives for the money. An actual game manual that is more than 3 pages of legal shenanigans, free game soundtrack, a game guide, and the option for your game to be entirely DRM free. It's the little things which are nonexistent now days for most developers unless you pay more but in the Witcher 2 you get standard which makes this game an excellent value. Did I mention FREE DLC and never having to pay for it? No release day paid DLC here folks. Enjoy your game you paid for it!
  8. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really think that CD Project made an grateful experience. The Witcher connect best parts of RPG. I'm hope Witcher became best game 2011... and now i back to play. :) Expand
  9. May 18, 2011
    This is one of the best games i've ever palyed. Form interesting characters to incredibly deep story. I'm playing the game all the time and cant wait to see mode DLC and official addons.
  10. May 19, 2011
    BEST GAME EVER!!!! I've played Witcher 1 and believe me all Kotors, Dragon Ages, Mass Effects are nothing compared to Witcher. Maybe the first one has some flaws but Witcher 2 is a masterpiece.
  11. May 18, 2011
    This is one of the best RPG of all time! I played Witcher 1 few years ago and I'm shocked how different second game is. I have never seen a sequel that is better from previous game with every aspect. Now I am in act 2 (near end of an act). I think it's 50-60% of the game. It was the best 20 h with video game since I don't even remember :) Story is mature and with a lot of humour in dialogues. NPC are the most interesting characters that video game can provide. Graphics looks astonishing. Even on my 2 years old computer I can play on High settings. If you like RPG - you must buy it! Last time I had such good time was when I played Mass Effect 2. Sorry Bioware but after Dragon Age 2 it's new king in town. Cd Projekt I am waiting for Witcher 3 ! :D Expand
  12. May 18, 2011
    LOL @ Bioware fanboys rating this down. Expect a lot more 0s in the next days. This game is everything DA2 should have been but failed. Suck it down. FTW 10.0
  13. May 18, 2011
    Are you kidding me? Did someone actually say, that developers of the Witcher 2 are from nineteenth century? This game is supposed to resemble a medieval setting with monsters and such. Try 7 centuries earlier. Mysoginistic? How about realistic? If you think today's world is a man's world, how do you think it looked like in the 1200s? Add monsters and magic into the mix, and basicly any women that have any say in what goes on in the world are witches, sorcereses, and noblewomen. And female monsters of any kind. :) That's it, and you, Bioware, dare bash the realism? And there are at least a few notable females in this game. In fact, if you'd read the book, there is a whole semi-secret organization of female-only mages, that is pulling the strings and deciding the fate of almost all northern kingdoms (more or less successfully, but I don't know if they are involved heavily in this game's plot though) And Bioware is bashing a truthful depiction of that time's society? Have they ever read a history book? Let alone watch the history channel? Yeah Bioware, it was totally believable to have a female captain of the guard, that is so tolerant and cool. You think combat is weak Bioware? The environment uninspiring? How do you call your rehashing dungeons, and "we'll do it for you" combat in DA2 then? You should be ashamed of what type of product you pushed to the shelves and applaud a better job done by CDProjekt RED. The world of the witcher is one I can believe in. And that's the type of fantasy, or sci-fi I, and many people, enjoy the most. Go and make another Origins, instead of feeling **** because someone produced a better cRPG than you did. I can't even believe Bioware would be so anal, as to attack a fellow game developer for creating a superior game. Concentrate on creating something better than DA2 yourselves, instead of trying to backstab a better product to artificially stay on top of the genre, by attacking it on review sites. Instead, make more games like the Witcher 2, adult storyline, non-linearity, deep combat, great visuals and music, deep alchemy, and character development systems...People, do not be deceived. If you've ever enjoyed a cRPG and if you enjoy a true, gray and bittersweet world instead of a lazy turd, that just bears a respected developers seal (yes, I'm talking about DA2 and Bioware again), than buy this game. It's brilliant, simply brilliant. It has it's flaws, like the AI at times (not always mind you, and we'll see about the patches, because unlike many developers, CDProjekt RED is actually supporting their games long after launch with tweaks and patches, and release their games DRM free) The negatives however pale in comparison to the positives. This game is an absolute delight. Just not for anyone below 18 years old. It's doesn't cater to everyone, but it's still an amazing achievement. Buy it. Expand
  14. May 19, 2011
    I add this comment just to tell all those who complaints about the specs of the game that my two years old computer is totally able to run the game with ultra options. The only deactivated option is ubersampling, which is an option that requires a really high end cpu+gpu combination. In fact, this option can´t offer any differece on a mid-high pc, like mine (on graphics I mean, fps reduction is very noticeable). So, please stop crying about this. The game is almost perfect for me, the only issue for me is in the combat system, which is a bit unprecise I think, despite of that, great game. (Sorry about my english) Expand
  15. May 19, 2011
    I love F:NV, but after playing TW 2 all i can say is: The Witcher 2 is the best RPG i ever played.... in my opinion it is Game of the Year 2011. Story is great and nonlinear. Music, world, choices , graphics - everything looks amazing! it is masterpiece from CDP Red. That is how should looks modern RPG! I belive it starts new chapter for RPG genere. No more crap like DA2, no more milking players by stupid DLC. Expand
  16. May 19, 2011
    Do not let the trolls fool you, TW2 is a great game, probably GOTY. Awesome graphics, if your PC can handle it, great story and fast paced combat that is actually difficult. So far the only thing I didn't like were the stealth sections, but that's only my opinion.
  17. May 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is fantastic. Amazing graphics and music, fast paced and demanding gameplay, and story which is truly better than any other new RPG game including Mass Effect 2! The game has 16 endings, ton of moral choices which means there's a lot of replayability value in the game. Simply perfect. A 10 out of 10. Expand
  18. May 19, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a game for which i was waiting almost since i launched The Witcher 1. In comparison with the first one there is HUGE difference in almost everything. I've never seen such wonderfull graphics running on older computers. As for the story i donlt want to write any spoiler, Only thing i am obligated to write is that depth of the story is unbeliveable. Every choice you make have consequenses. Whats funny there are no easy ones. Most of the moral choices are very hard to make, cause sometimes there is just no right way, you need to judge situation and choose less evil one, and that decision will affect the story line many many hours of playing later. There are often retrospections to remind us of our previous decisions and show us consequenses of them. Story line also changes if you travel with different companions, because with everyone of them happens something completly diffrent. For me its best RPG with amazing storyline, graphics and combat system. Expand
  19. May 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What is difference between "RPG" and RPG. If you want best description you must try Witcher 2 and "all" others game in this tape of game. For many people, not only me its definitly GAME OF THE YEAR 2011. Breathtaking graphic and music, great non-linear plot with many consequences about your choices. I fall in love in witcher 2. For me its BEST game EVER. I know that there are a few bugs etc, but its imposible to fix everyting in so huge game. Want more, want more Gearlt, Zoltan, Triss. If someone grading this game below 9, he or she is absurd and shouldn't use the computer. For all maniac RPG - its best choice in this year. If you still dont have the game, go fast to shop to get it! Expand
  20. May 19, 2011
    Unequivocally the prettiest game I've ever played. The attention to detail is amazing. I didn't absolutely love the prologue, but everything is great from there. This can be a difficult game and the pacing is very old school RPG, so make sure to take your time and expect to die from time to time (unless you play on easy). Best RPG to come out in years.
  21. May 19, 2011
    One of the best RPGs I have ever played. Yes you may need a higher end PC to run this game, but they did a fantastic job making this game look as good as it does using DX9. TW2 improves on almost every aspect of TW1. There are so many (different) choices to make through out the game that you can't help but want to playthrough it more than once. Kudos to CD Projekt Red for making us such a great game, I can only hope all their future titles have the the same time and care put into them as TW2 had. Expand
  22. May 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm thinking that the Witcher 2 is one of the best rpg ever. This game have everythink what do you want in action-rpg game. Graphic is brilliant I never see better graphic in rpg game Expand
  23. May 28, 2011
    beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeest game ever
  24. May 20, 2011
    This is the best game i've ever play.
    I think this is the best game in this decade. (no, sorry the witcher 2 will be better^^)
    The Witcher 2 has very good plot and combat system.
    I recommend that game for every player who like RPG games
  25. May 20, 2011
    I haven't played all the way through obviously, but so far everything is great. Graphics are amazing, combat is fun and challenging. Easily ten times better than either Dragon Age one ore Dragon Age two.
  26. May 20, 2011
    An absolutely breathtaking game, that constantly keeps you interested and immersed within the game world to such a degree that even while your not playing it, your thinking about it! I haven't encountered a game that is as addictive and graphically stunning as this and hopefully it will be a new benchmark for future games to meet. Aside from the graphics, the content within the game itself is top-notch, not just the main quest but also the side-quests as everything builds up into one large adventure. The voice acting and dialogue is up there with the best, but one thing pushes this game infront of the others. That is the amount of choices you, as a player are overwhelmed with throughout the game. You may be like me and spend as much time in your inventory screen as you do when deciding which option to pick in an important conversation. The combat has a fairly steep learning curve which in my opinion is a positive aspect of the game, considering that it actually feels like a challenge and not one of those games you can just hack and slash your way through without much care and it also adds to the replayability (not just the 16 different endings). Once you gain the hang of it you'll be smiling as you send the limbs of your opponents flying off into a pool of blood with some awsome swordplay. For me this game has rekindled my love for the RPG genre and PC games in general. A definate favourite for the year and look foward to the free DLC.
    One bit of advice..... pick it up if you haven't, definatley a game thats worth the dolla!
  27. May 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Witcher 2 is my first CDproject game iv played, Iam ashamed to say but what a pleasant surpise. The game begins with Gerlat in a cell and shows as to how he went from king Foltest personal protector to his accused murderer after you escape the prison by means of stealth, shear force or to a lesser extent diplomacy you begin the adeventure of clearing your name. With out revealing much more the story is well paced and should keep most fantasy fans hooked till the end. The game is vast as to what you can do with a robust crafting system letting you make anything from swords to armour to buffs/potions as you'll need them to increase your chances of survival as the games combat can be brutal. The combat is comprised of light and heavy attacks, parrying, dodging and magic and you will need them all if you want to be a good Wither if you have played Demons Souls then you should get a good idea as to how the combat plays just speed it up a notch. The dialouge options are well rounded to suit the charater theres a bit of freedom as to what kind of things you say from intimidating to sarcastic, It tops most RPGs and is one of the best this genertation with its harsh apporach to combat and lack of nursing its a raw RPG that all can enjoy if you give your self time to adjust how unforgiving it can be. Expand
  28. May 21, 2011
    I am very disappointed with this game and I can't believe when people say that it could be the GOTY and one of the best RPGs out there. The game has insane performance issues. The game is very demanding on the graphics requirements, so I must run it on low settings and even with that the game sometimes bogs down horribly. Moreover, the camera and characters have horrible issues, especially in cutscenes, where a character, for example, will finish speaking a line and then glitch into another position. Sometimes archers will shoot at you while facing a wall. Interacting with objects can be horribly annoying, especially since Geralt likes to keep moving for an excessive amount of time after you've released movement keys. The tutorial could be useful if it had been done properly, half the time I didn't even notice the tips; sometimes because they appeared after the event, sometimes because I was too busy fighting enemies to notice -no, the game doesn't pause for you to read. All of these can be considered as minor issues once you get to the core of the problem: The game is not an RPG, unless you consider FFXIII an RPG. Character growth is a joke, and combat is an even bigger joke. The game feels like a port even though it isn't. Fighting enemies requires absolutely no strategy, just smashing the left and right mouse buttons. There is also a very broken stealth system and before you end the initial sequence of the story, you find more holes in it than a cheese grater.
    I wanted to like this game, really. But when the characters are shallow and the gameplay is absolutely dreadful, well, wanting to like it just doesn't cut it. If you want a real RPG, go back to Bethesda or Bioware.
  29. May 21, 2011
    Good: - graphics is amazing - superb story - this is not your regular hack and slash rpg ~~ Bad: - inventory mechanics is a bit disorganized and sometimes confusing. - item looting is lame; picking up items is too fast that i don't even see what i'm picking up because it just grabs everything. - bugs are present but should be fixed with future patches. - fighting animation should be enhanced more; it's like slashing through paper every time i hit a monster.

~~ Conclusion:
    a well made game but not a perfect one.
  30. May 25, 2011
    I am both amazed at the improvements to Geralt's virtual world as I am disappointed in the new combat system. I was a big fan of The Witcher, and I am learning to enjoy The Witcher 2. The Witcher had me from the first hour of play. The Witcher 2 does not have the same magic, IMHO. I'm sure the forthcoming patch will improve things. Kudos to everything but the dumbed down console style play. The latter along with weakening the character does not make for a great for a better game. The authors should have stuck to PC or programmed a separate track for PC. Still entertaining. Expand
  31. May 22, 2011
    Game looks absolutely fantastic... Great writing... The well narrated non-linear story.. Nice... very nice... I'm love it :) Well done CD Projekt Red !!!!!!
  32. May 23, 2011
    Excellent game, worth the money + they really pushed the boat out with basic hard copy extras! Well done guys keep it up! cant wait for the witcher 3. lol @ how well the boobs and vagina have been textured, obviously very well researched! On a side note, love how they have used the northern irish accent! good too see that we are rubbing off on the polish that come to live/visit here!
  33. May 23, 2011
    It's a good game, much better than Dragon Crap 2. The Combat has a learning curve and go's from hard to too easy later in the game. The graphics and aesthetics are great. The story is great, and the combat can be great. It's nice to play a game where you are not in the same town the entire game with recycled stages and horrible graphics.
  34. May 23, 2011
    Kudos CD Project. Awesome game, GOTY in my book. It is what an RPG is all about, in depth story and amazing game play. Choices impacts the game so much that you can see different towns all together. Graphics are amazing and it's by far the most gorgeous, I'm on GTX560 Ti and its really beautiful on medium specs (if you can run it on High, you're in for a treat). Dragon Age 2 was a huge letdown, but this game definitely brought a tear to my eye. GO GET IT! Expand
  35. May 24, 2011
    The best cRPG of decade. GOTD (Game of the decade) Amazing story, brillant graphic- This game is must-buy!!!! and i agree with @RogerEbertJr Bioware fanboys ratting game down.
  36. May 24, 2011
    This game is groundbreaking and unique. Best RPG I have ever played!
    Difficult! Demanding! Intelligent! Funny! Intriguing! Epic and beautiful!
    Heh ... The Witcher 2 "Assassin of Kings. "
    Yes! Witcher Geralt of Rivia - Assassin of RPG "Kings" such as Bioware:)
  37. May 24, 2011
    I am a bit disappointed with the second part of The Witcher Saga. It's still a great game but some things really piss me off. My biggest problem is the length of the game, its shorter than the first one but at least the authors got the balls to admit it (watch dev diary). My only hope lies in those free DLC's with extra side quests. The story tries to be as much enjoyable as the original books by Sapkowski but fails miserably in some points along the way. Anyone who read the books will admit that some dialogues feel clumsy and totally unnecessary. Bestiary is full of monsters but what about some regular animals that can be dangerous as well, no wolves, no bears no other predators. Even monsters are limited in variety. Again, there were much more types of monsters in the book, heck even the first game had them more. Some people bash the meditation system (drinking potions before the fight no potions in the actual battles) but that how it works folks read the books and you will know.
    Overall the game is good but I'm thinking about Extended Edition like with the first one. Improved inventory, better locking system, more balanced difficulty levels, smaller saves (16MB for a single save WTF??). Until then only 8.0 but a real strong one.
  38. May 27, 2011
    I must admit that I am not a hardcore RPG fan and that might be why the high tempo fighting was a huge pro for me. The inventory system can be a bit tedious at times but it doesn't take anything away from this masterpiece.

In a nutshell, The Witcher 2 has great interactive story, fluent exiting combat and a lot of room to develop your character towards your desired path.
  39. May 24, 2011
    Quality game. Has it flaws, but idea and story is refreshing. The wither's 1 plot was a bit unconvincing, there were good dialogues, and characters but in sequel they developers made huge step towards greatness. For me the best of fantasy RPG since Planescape: Torment.

I give it 9, (although it deserves 9.5)
  40. May 24, 2011
    I can't say yet whether it's GOTY material but it is certainly one of the best games I've played this year. The graphics are beautiful and the characters were engaging. The combat is a bit challenging and the prologue can get a bit overwhelming for players not used to the Witcher world. The best part about the game is the re-playability factor because different choices you make will expose you to a different environment altogether. I'm already about to start with my second play-through. The DRM-free and free DLCs of the game is also a big plus in my book! :) Expand
  41. May 24, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is simply one of the best games ever made! Very complex story, awesome fighting system, really beautiful graphics - this game has it all. Game of the year IMO.
  42. May 25, 2011
    Sensational game. CD Projekt will be rubbing shoulders with Blizzard and Valve soon if they keep up this quality. The attention to detail throughout is on a new level, you can't help but stop and gaze through a markets goods or simply watch villagers as they go about their day-to-day business. The story so far is enthralling and the character design is Blizzard standard. Hat's off to CD Projekt, I've not been so happy with a purchase in as long as I can remember.â Collapse
  43. May 25, 2011
    Brilliant game after the disappointment of Dragon Age 2. An involved Story with memorable characters, stunning graphics and an immersive world where the residents actually feel alive. The combat takes some getting used to and makes you plan for encounters before jumping in.

Not a fan of the 'quick time events' particularly and would recommend a thorough read of the manual before
    playing. The standard premium edition box makes a pleasant change from the usual crappy standard plastic DVD case and disc and represents brilliant value for money.

I'm already looking forward to the next game
  44. May 25, 2011
    I'm writing this little review simply because I believe that you can never say enough positive things about this game. I run a mid-range PC (with a 3.2 Ghz phenom x4 cpu and Radeon HD 5770 gfx card) and I played this game at the recommended (high) settings and I never ran into any problems. The game is gorgeous, the characters are believable and sympathetic, the story is enthralling, and it's a helluva lot of fun. You'll feel like your choices have impact and you'll want to play again and again to see how the story can unfold. It's clear that the developers put a lot of love into this game. If you're a fan of well-made, mature RPGs, then this game is right for you. Do yourself a favor and pick this game up. Expand
  45. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioware fanboys trying to lower score of Witcher , its only shows how this game is great. CDP RED is new king of cRPG's and nothing change that... This game is a absolutely brilliant. 10/10. Expand
  46. May 26, 2011
    It could have been a contender, instead the Witcher2 is just another console victim. Gone is the quality PC RPG with a deep story, an engaging charters. In it's place is a confusing mess that for some is not even playable. To be fair, this is a beautiful game if you have a PC that can handle it. The environments are beautiful and the amount of invisible walls is far less than other similar game. The cities seem to have some life to them unlike the empty world in Dragon Age where the people don't speak and the doors don't open.

The story is passable, but at times it confuses even it's self. NPC's deliver bits of the story, and then stay in the same location forever. The Prologue really bothered me. Here is our Witcher being interrogated by Roche like they are complete strangers including the initial greeting, but as the Witcher tell his story, you can clearly see that they know each other. A bad start that left me questions where it was going to go from here.

The interface is pure console. While nothing is wrong with that, I enjoy many console game and find that a well done menu system works well with a controller. However, this is so poorly implemented for use with a mouse and keyboard. Icons have no clear meaning, the inventory has no sorting or filtering and for some reason, Geralt has become so dumb that he cannot memorize anything, he has to carry everything with him.

Gameplay is a true mix of good and bad. At times combat seems to work, when you are battling a few enemies it can be enjoyable. But as soon as you add a few more enemies to the mix, it becomes a button clicking mess. Dare to turn your perspective during these battles and you immediately change enemies. Gone is the combat strategy from W1 where timing and clicking at the right time lead to a flurry of moves. In place we have a whirling slashing mess that we have no control over. An please, developers, stop with the QTE's, we do not enjoy them. I don't want limited control, I want full control.

Alchemy has become a frustrating disaster. Apparently Geralt has to know the future. Because the only way to consume potions is to meditate BEFORE you start a battle and no,,there is no healing at all. So save lots. Lastly, is the state of the game. For me it was a constant crash fest. I look forward to going again now the patches have started, but after 3 years of development it should have been better. And forget support, CDProjekt should be ashamed of themselves. Days before the launch, the official forums were taken down, and over a week into the launch, gamers are expressing their frustrations on GOG and Steam, but not in any place that the support behind the game can help. Fans helping fans is what we are are left with.

What I was hoping for, was the Witcher world taken to a new level. What I got was the Witcher world shaken up, half baked, converted from a stat based RPG, to an Action based RPG for the console crowd. Looks like my hopes will need to be directed to Skyrim.
  47. May 27, 2011
    This game is a masterpiece. It is beautiful, challenging and rewarding. The attention to detail is incredible and it contributes to the creation of an amazingly lively world - the best I've ever seen in a game. Keep in mind though that the game requires involvement and willingness to learn how to use the many options and abilities that it has to offer. Otherwise it might just become frustrating to play, because it will not hold you hand. It
    challenges you to think for yourself, it will not show you every step of the
    way. Few games these days treat you like an intelligent person, not like a
    moron. It is a very special experience, which is why I warmly recommend it.
  48. May 27, 2011
    Ok, I just took the Witcher 2 off of my computer. Not because I hated the game, but because the new patch caused some problems with the game. The thing is, I don't think I will be putting it back on. This game is thoughtful, gritty, beautiful, and has one of the best individual story lines I've seen in an RPG in many years. Unfortunately, it is all laid to waste by the combat. I am a fan of Ninja Gaiden. Having said that, I do not mind difficult combat. What I do have a problem with, is sluggish and unresponsive combat. I suppose playing with a microsoft controller instead of a keyboard might help a bit, but combat on a keyboard has been little more than an exercise in frustration for me. Clunky and unintuitive are the nicest terms I can use to describe it. In an environment where three or four unblocked strikes can kill one of the toughest Witchers in Temerian history, it stands to reason that the combat should be as polished as possible. I don't mind challenging, or even very challenging, but fighting a control system hell bent on as much micomanagement as possible just seems a little tedious. One of the reasons I loved the Witcher one so much, was because you could play the entire game with just the mouse. The setup was as simple as it was elegant and made for fun, engrossing experience. I could put in the time and effort needed to master the keyboard combat in this game, and I am told it actually gets much easier as you progress and invest in the skill trees, but it just sounds like a chore to me now. I may give it another shot with my new PC controller and see if I can make better progress, but for now I think I'll just try L..A. Noire. Expand
  49. May 27, 2011
    This game is the best RPG I've ever played. Though now that I think of it, that's not so much (other RPG's I've played are Oblivion, Morrowind, Nehrim and Mass Effect 1). The beginning was hellishly difficult, but in that satisfying way. Don't get me wrong, you WILL die, a lot in fact. I always hoped for a game in which the amount of effort you put in your skills and equipment pays out- in the end of this game you will feel divine, as the 3 soldiers who killed you oh-so-many-times in the prologue, can be slayed with an epic cut-scene after one click of the x button. In most games you hardly get to feel the effect of your decisions, in this game I had to spend hours thinking of my next move, and my next choice (I'm so so sorry Roche). The ending, though rushed to some, was suitably epic, violent yet peaceful, settling yet cliffhanging. With no doubt, Skyrim is going to have one hell of a time trying to beat this king of the hill in RPGs.

(And if someone manages to complete the game in Insanity mode, a thousand Internets to you)

P.S: What's with this error saying that Score (10.0) id must be a floating point number? For future reference, I'd give to game a 10/10
  50. May 27, 2011
    I won't go into plot details to avoid spoilers. Let's just say the story is mature (political intrigue, racism, etc.). There is no corny white vs. black decisions, and the decisions you do make WILL impact your gaming experience. The story, like the game overall, is immersive.

INCREDIBLY IMMERSIVE.

The graphics are stellar, not only the best of any RPG that I've seen, but any game
    period. They are that good.

The combat takes some getting used to. I personally found using an XBOX controller superior to using a keyboard and mouse. To some, this may scream streamlining for consoles. Believe me, that's not the case. We had controllers for the PC long before game consoles appeared. You will find it challenging in the early going even on easy. You will get your butt kicked.

Which is good.

Lately it seems even nightmare and hard levels are too easily conquered (see Dragon Age). For me, that takes away the satsifaction of playing a game. There must be challenge, and here, oh boy, there is.

The best feature of the Witcher 2 isn't singular. This is an incredible game. It is evolutionary, challenging, beautiful, dark and immersive doesn't cover how much it will suck you into the world of Geralt.

If you buy one game this year or even in the next ten, buy this one. It is a masterpiece (and that's something I've never said about ANY game).
  51. May 27, 2011
    Game is awesome so far, only issue I had was a few bugs but barely noticed. it's not perfect but it's damn close. Graphics are amazing! but you need a lot of hardware. The story is very engaging.
  52. May 28, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a masterpiece, an epic adult story controlled by the player, its not an open world game because it doesnt have to be, yes you can explorer huge areas and admir the scenary but its the decisions you make and the no right or wrong, just different paths to take that make this game replayable many times. The Graphics are amazing, huge detail, great design, The gameplay has Mass effect controlls which they changed as they were originally like W1 I don't mind that, the combat is amazing but very hard to master, you just can't run in hacking and slashing as you will die in seconds (someone Score it 2 saying it's a hack n slash action game, anyone who's played and complete it would know that is a rubbish statement, why don't these reviewers just play it and stop supporting their faviourite game, be a whore and like other games) The choice and consiquence system is amazing (C&C) I chose to walk away at the end and thats just what Geralt did with the story left right open (witcher 3 or DLC)but there are 16 ends, I guess I'll have to play through 16 times, it took me 50 hrs the first time, how the hell did people complete it in 20 to 30 hrs, I didnt finish 25 quests and did 50+, I guess they are masters of rpgs. The Sound wow, great voice acting, background ambience, the music score is simply the best I have ever heard for a game and maybe even film. The presentation is also very good. The Witcher 2 does have some minor flaws but theyre not game breaking and with the patches it will keep improving + free DLC. Only one game (RPG) can be as great as The Witcher 2 this year, Skyrim and I hope it is. Expand
  53. May 28, 2011
    ALMOST GAME OF THE YEAR but MOST DEFINITELY(for now, until Skyrim and Deus Ex come out since they are possible contenders as well) BEST RPG this year and many more before it.

I'll apologize in advance to my constant debunking and referencing DA2 since it's a good game to compare TW2 with, at least in the sense that it succeeds in many aspects DA2 failed to deliver in. And I am putting it
    mildly since DA2 disappointed me more than any other game to date.

To be perfectly honest, I love rpgs, play them hell out of them.. from JRPGs like SMT, persona series, tales series to final fantasy. Betheseda's oblivion, fallout and all of Bioware's games.

Long story short, I LOVE rpgs and I've been in love with them since I was a child. I love complex mechanics, deep gameplay, challenges and character progression, and similarly I adore strong stories with plenty of momentum. And recently, with the recent trend in western rpgs, a large element of choice and moral ambiguity, with the repercussions that follow. And to be perfectly honest TW2 surpassed every expectation.

To be honest, when I first heard about it, I didn't give it much thought, DA2 was over the horizon and I was expecting it with bated breath following DAO, which was a strong(though flawed) successor to Baldur's Gate. Though, following the string(and a very long one at that) of disappointments with DA2, and the incredibly bad taste in my mouth after playing through it, I started to look hopefully towards TW2.

To start off with, the graphics are the BEST graphics you'll ever see in any rpg. Though true, most RPGs tend to have weak graphics to begin with, TW2 actually outshines many games with the high level textures, dynamic shadows, SSAO and a myriad of other lightning, rendering and processing effects that truly make the game shine.

Furthermore, the design of the areas and locations is very well done and you can see the amount of work done to make it that way. As you walk through forests, you can see lots of bushes, foliage and grass tucking in and out around the pathways or the trees in the distance with sordid detail. Unlike other RPGs like DA2, where the areas are dull, bland with flat terrains, without anything but dirt moss textures under them. The terrain and environment in TW2 features an attention to detail that is difficult to find in many games and this is one of the main reasons it can be very immersive.

Next up, the combat is fun and engaging, FAR from perfect though, mainly due to technical issues. The developers took inspiration from Demon's Souls, which means enemies hurt, with even meager enemies being able to destroy you if you get surrounded and they all attack at once. Unlike games like Assassin's Creed, enemies don't wait while you hack down their companions, they attack and don't mind interrupting you. This could get very frustrating combined with the poor targeting system and technical drawbacks

:for some users, there is input lag, which accompanies the performance issues, especially on ATI cards for the moment, then sometimes there is a delay between actions that hav random durations, implying that there may be problems with the combat engine. Though I haven't experienced either of these myself, it is worth noting.

Though moving past it, the combat is deeply satisfying with the hits really really feeling powerful(unlike in DA2, where on harder difficulties, you can thwack enemies with POWERFUL looking hits while taking out.. .1% of their lifebar?) while looking very majestic(think Assassin's Creed in a way). Also, the game provides many ways to tackle your foes. From using the magic to rain death on enemies, to swords, to blasting opponents to hell with an arsenal of bombs and traps as you fight a war of attrition against your foes.

The story is also well done, though it isn't brilliant. It'll be hard getting all the references, nods and such to the original game as well as some plot points. Though it plays its cards well, wherein you aren't a hero, just an apparently special Witcher that is trying to regain his memory and clear his name. The real shining point in this game however is the depth in the choices you make. Geralt is, for the most part, who you want him to be. And it's much deeper than Dragon Age 2, with some key decisions made in the first Act changing everything about how you'll trudge through the next few, changing allegiances, characters and entire quest lines. Also, the sidequests don't feel like boring fetch quests like DA2 with rehashed dungeons(4 times or more), they feel more significant(like a self contained story), with many being morally ambiguous, with some spanning more than one chapter. And there are also many ways to finish a quest, which is a refreshing change of pace.

Though I could elaborate more, I think it would suffice to say that TW2 is certainly one of the best RPGs out there and it's a real MUST buy
  54. May 28, 2011
    The games combat system is hard to get a good grip on and besides the elegant graphics its hard to say any form of fighting is enjoyable. While the game looks nice, very nice, the story alas does not live up to that of witcher 1, it is bogged down by bad plot and rushed feelings. It just feels like they tried to upgrade the first one and make it more interactive but the game starts out too rough and ends too soft giving the wrong effect and overall losing my enjoyment. Expand
  55. May 28, 2011
    I recommend. If you have the option, play The Witcher 1 first (still an amazing game), and then buy The Witcher 2.
    Just know that this games are for serious gamers... You will have to learn the mechanics and read the texts and so on... Or you will get lost very fast.
    The reviewer from "the escapist" wrote: ...died so easily and so many times in the first seconds of the game that I began to
    wonder if I was just an idiot...
    He is just an idiot.
  56. May 29, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a great game. I wont be a fanboy and pretend it is perfect, because simply put, it isn't, but that doesn't change the fact it is one of the biggest and best games 2011 has to offer.

PROS:

Combat - the combat is really diverse and just to survive on Normal Difficulty or harder, you WILL need to employ your alchemy and magic as well as your sword play tactics. Running in
    and just slashing the crap out of enemies doesn't work in this game because it forces you to be much smarter in how you approach to deal with enemies and scenarios.

Story - The story is fantastic and really draws you in. If you haven't played or beaten the first Witcher, rest assure that you will be able to get a basic sense of whats going on and so on and so forth. However, it does help knowing the back story since it makes events, characters and certain missions much more important and personal. The only people who will be truly at home with the story will be those who read the books, but this doesn't require you to do so.WORD OF WARNING: If you are interested in playing this game, then you should have already seen the M rating it has received, but for the few who are unaware, this is by far a very adult game. It has sex scenes [you are given options for partners depending how you deal with scenarios], bloody violence [decapitations and so forth], mature topics [such as incest, rape, murder], and harsh language. There are definitely elements which would offend some, but the reasons these are part of the game and story isn't for a so-called 'shock value' but a real and stoic representation of a mature world where good and evil are not so easily divided. Because of that, this game is great because its rare that adults get a good story but one that is not geared towards a younger generation [BTW the games that are geared for younger people aren't necessarily bad, it's just appropriate for those settings].

Gameplay - Fun but requires thinking [this game is literally more of a RPG compared to Dragon Age 1 and so on and so forth]. You make decisions that do seriously affect the outcome of where the second and third chapter could take place and from what I understand, there are 16 different endings based on your decisions. What makes this fantastic is that decisions aren't necessarily GOOD and EVIL, but gray areas in which you might have to pick the lesser of two evils or decide how to take advantage of a situation which would be bad for many but help you and your cause. This is a mature approach to a serious game and I give it heart felt approval for the developers going down that path.

Music/Sound - Fantastic. Has dark themes as well idyllic music that helps to really flesh out the world and nothing that's annoying or out of place.

CONS:

Story - The ending leaves a bit to be desired and mature themes will definitely be towards a more adult audience.

Combat - As fun and inventive the combat was, it will be difficult for a select few to approach. This game really emphasizes complete control and for some it can be frustrating when they keep on dying because they weren't fast enough for a dodge or other things.
    Sound/Graphics - While yes, the graphics and animations are SUPERB, you need to keep in mind that you need hardware to run this game. This is not Crysis 2 but then again that doesn't mean you need less powerful hardware. Make sure that you check thoroughly that you can run this game smoothly because I can see frame rate issues and other things seriously messing up combat.
    ALSO: While the world is beautiful and the clothes and people look lifelike and real, voice-speaking animations do hiccup a bit and lag every once in a while [but is more of a minor annoyance]. Don't forget that this game was made in Europe with the native tongue being recorded in some other language and while, yes they do English dubbs and so forth, the voice acting is great but then again, it doesn't do miracles at other parts. Still good all things considered.

Yes, this was a long review, but hopefully this gives ideas to those who are eying this game on the fence and are unsure whether or not it is for them. I personally LOVE this game and everything it has to offer. It is extremely re-playable and a fun world to traverse through but there will be a few people who may be turned off by its difficulty and how hard the combat and quests can become. But hey, that's why we have game guides right? ;) Must have for RPG/Fantasy lovers!
  57. Dec 12, 2011
    Visceral combat, gorgeous graphics, engrossing story. CD Projekt gives us the experience Bioware failed to deliver with DA2. I heard some disappointment about the conclusion of the story, but I don't share those sentiments. It could've been longer of course, but that can be said of any good thing.
  58. Jun 2, 2011
    It expands upon The Witcher in every possible way, and The Witcher was by far the best rpg of this generation. A true and spectacular sequel, a game that shouldn't be missed by anyone who calls himself a gamer. It's not flawless but it's also as close to the perfect rpg as it can be. Congratulations to CDProjekt Red
  59. Jun 2, 2011
    I could easily put it on my top5 rpg games of the decade... and I played them ALL. A game that brings the epicness of Baldur's Gate story telling along with astonishing graphics as a cherry on the top. Don't you dare not getting yourself a copy.
  60. May 30, 2011
    Definitely comparable to Dragon Age. This RPG offers a great amount of game play in a beautiful and gritty world. Up with one of my favorites! Bioware has competition.
  61. Jun 11, 2011
    The Witcher 2 represents a step forward in terms of visuals mitigated by more than a couple steps backward in terms of combat, user interface, and alchemy.

Visually, TW2 impresses, even on mid level machines. On high end hardware, the game is simply breath taking. Few games boast such a robust attention to detail. The game is highly GPU dependent as any PC game should be, and even on
    my outdated EVGA GTS 250, I was able to achieve a more than playable frame rate between 40 and 60 FPS on â Expand
  62. May 30, 2011
    Trolls are still working! I have to, I just have to write what I think. Rating 1 - 4 can not be serious.
    I read game scores written by "gingerbill. He has not played this game! Or playing in something else. Rating 4? It's a farce! This opinion is the same crap! I do not understand these people. Combat is too simple? Ha .. ha .. ha ... Play the "difficult" "
    And there's very little
    character development .. "Man, you do not know what you're talking Or not completely understand the game. This is not another game in the" dressing "a hero. Kid, grow up!

Now, seriously:
    Game is pretty much the best game I've played in about 5 years.
    This game is so god dam deep. Chapter 2 in itself becomes completely different if you side with the other person. Now that is what I call decision making.

Everything about this game is just amazing. The combat is deep yet intuitive once you get the hang of it. It may be difficult at times but its one of the reasons why its so good. The story so far is really good and filled with interesting characters, monsters, and locations. Even in the first chapter you can see how the story can branch off and change things.
    The atmosphere in this game is also great. Seeing enemies crawling down trees to attack you, or hearing a loud roar behind you and then seeing a bunch of humanoid monsters running at you. Its all really well done. I've even just spent time walking around the towns listening to conversations and people telling stories. I hope other developers take notes, because this is how an RPG should be made.
  63. May 30, 2011
    Great game! It is something more than the usual RPG.
    I recommend to all who are looking for unforgettable entertainment. Beautiful graphics, interesting story, exciting combat. Sometimes I forget that this is a game. :) Maybe too short. But ... has 16 endings.
    My rating 9.5 -10.
  64. May 31, 2011
    Despite some minor flaws and disappointing epilogue TW2 is a very good game. Challenging combat system, intriguing story, no black-and-white world, interesting characters, great dialogues, no-linear story, absolutely amazing animations and stunning graphics. That's more than enough to give it very good score. I read some reviews and it seems most people who are rating it low are too lazy to read manual. Expand
  65. May 31, 2011
    No fantasy RPG this year will come close to what this game achieves. It is pretty, challenging, mature and fun and on top of that it has the best graphics on a PC game right now. It is an accomplishment that will be remembered for years to come.
  66. May 31, 2011
    Great RPG with challenging combat, a deep broody protagonist and a cast of memorable side kicks. I have played through the game twice - hit both main story lines and I'm back for a third. At first I found the combat punishingly difficult (i'm mostly a console gamer - so that might also play into it) but once you get the timeing and nuances of spells, bombs, traps and dodging down it becomes challenging but not frustrating. It is a game that rewards experimentation with the combat as well as with the role playing options. It is really nice to find an RPG that doesn't have a dumbed down combat system. We can handle moral dilema's and blade (or two) at the same time. My only gripe is that the previews made it seem like a much bigger more open world than it really is. I was hoping for maps at least as open as the original Witcher what I got was less open than that but more open then say Dragon II. As that expectation was raised I was initially somewhat disappointed to find the areas to be explored rather limited. As with the original expect a good deal of profanity, pretty close to full frontal female nudity, and moderately graphic simulated sex. Expand
  67. Jun 4, 2011
    Let's look at this game for what it is and try and dispel a few unworthy comparisons; firstly for the newcomers to the Witcher series, yes I think it does help if you've played the first one - one of the better decision based RPGs (where small decision mattered and could affect gameplay) and no, it didn't copy DA:O -- it was 2 years before, weâ
  68. Jun 3, 2011
    CD Projekt's work is, once again, amazing - and not simply just the game, their after-sale/release support and service is top notch, fixing issues quickly and giving customers an excellent gaming experience. The Witcher 2 is beautiful, not just visually but for once we have a game that doesn't feel the need to blatantly state EVERY SINGLE LITTLE PLOT DETAIL IN CAPS. This is perhaps most prominent in the beginning; they let you piece what is going on bit by bit, without treating you like a moronic twelve year old. This truly is for a mature audience - and I love it. Expand
  69. Jun 3, 2011
    >It's an RPG without stupid looking armor and sword floating on your back
    >Non Linear your Act 2 will be completely different depending on your choice in Act 1 new map quests
    >Dynamic Lighting, Extremely detailed Textures
    >Story and choices are gray meaning not Good Vs. Evil
    >The game doesn't hold your hand like a child
    >Combat is challenging
  70. Jun 6, 2011
    I would give it a 9.5 if it were possible, but it's not worth a 9. Witcher 2 is an amazing rpg, though it does have minor flaws that disrupt the almost-seamless world and character animation. Graphics are out of this world--hot! PC game companies sharing the industry with console better beware, Witcher 2 is PC-made first (though will be on console later), and it is striking. The atmosphere of the world is as addicting as Metro 2033, questing is fun, and the story is exciting. Definitely try this game! Expand
  71. Apr 20, 2012
    Absorbing, dynamic, witty dialogs, gripping, multithreaded story, non-linear quests, absolutely stunning graphics, variegated main characters, great cut-scenes, pretty opening and ending, adequate music, setting based on the series of great novels, completely free DLCs and enhancements, energetic, tactical fighting system and several annoying bugs. Eventually, one of the best role-playing games ever made! Expand
  72. Jun 28, 2011
    Miles above from DA2 and the few other new released RPGs, this game is what i call a worthy RPG demigod. Storyline feels as solid as the first if better and the depth has been driven further in making sure that you feel that you are really playing every part possible in char development. I tried DA2 and got bored in like 5 hours, this one i have already filled up 20 hours, i am taking my time in working my way through this one. Money well spent. Expand
  73. Jun 28, 2011
    Awesome RPG from polish developers! Great dialogs, characters, graphics, music and etc.
    The Witcher 2 - Game of the Year 2011 and I love this game! :)
  74. Jun 28, 2011
    With amazing graphics and fluid gameplay, I am glad to have bought this one. As a fan of the first game, i was very excited to see this in the coming. I pre-ordered it the day that it was announced. The story here is one that will be remembered through gaming history. This could easily be game of the year, or best RPG of 2011. I implore those who love long adventures and great gameplay to pick this one up. Expand
  75. Jul 2, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011. The single best RPG I have played since Planescape: Torment. The characters are deep and complex, the storyline develops depending on your actions and choices. It takes what was good from every single RPG released in the last 15 years and makes it into something better. The graphics are simply the best ever seen in an RPG
  76. Jul 1, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an amazing game. Thoroughly captivating story, great combat, and a healthy dose of mature content. The Witcher series is the best RPG I have ever played and it is definitely 2011's game of the year. This game provides the player with the ability to decide how they want the story to progressive and it serves up an amazing amount of eye candy. The visual effects in this game are unmatched by any other game on the market currently. The only reason I rate this game 9/10 is because it currently suffers from bugs that are being patched. The Witcher 2 is the best $50 you will spend in 2011. Expand
  77. Jul 31, 2011
    The original Witcher is possibly the best game i have ever played. It had everything you could want or ask. Witcher 2 to me is a bit of letdown. First the positives. The game graphics are beautiful , the story is great and the music is incredible. Now the negatives. The controls are wonky as hell, i just started to get used to them and the game finished. Game length is i think 1/4 of the size of the original. There are many choices to make which promotes replays but i was so shocked it was over i couldn't muster the will to start again. I got it on release and there where many bugs and crashes which were very frustrating because i could not completely immerse myself in the world because i was thinking it would crash any minute. In saying that CD Project are well known for there post release fixes so i hope that is sorted. Bottom line is that i was looking forward to this game for several years and for me it was over in 10 hours. For an FPS that is small but for an RPG it is almost criminal. That ontop of the constant crashes and lack of real control of the character i can only give it a disappointing 5/10 Expand
  78. Sep 25, 2011
    Great story, graphics, and game play, but not as memorable as the first one. The cut scenes were nicely done to build the story but the npc character's relationships with Geralt and their personalities never really developed, and were often ambiguous. Thus, i rarely cared too much about them when i went in hoping for more adventure with my good friends. The fighting is fun but less visceral and immersive than The Witcher 1. Expand
  79. Feb 18, 2012
    The best graphics. Es un gran juego, tiene una historia adulta, y un juego como ninguno otro, te gustará mucho, pero sin duda, perdió la magia de su precuela.
  80. Aug 31, 2011
    Not as big as a console hatchet job as DA2 was, but the RPG elements have been cut down. Combat balancing was uneven and repetitive. I hated the potion system. The camera was atrocious. It's not very long, but you should get 2 very different run thoughs. A mixed bag, overall.
  81. Mar 26, 2012
    Likely one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and I've played most of the major ones of the last decade (DAO, Oblivion, Skyrim, Deus Ex: HR). What's most remarkable is how your choices truly do have a major impact on the world: it's not a gimmick or half-gimmick like so many modern RPGs (which often give you the illusion of choice, then railroad your choices as you approach the ending). It certainly should have scored higher than Dragon Age: Origins, that's a testament to the flaws of "expert" reviews. Expand
  82. Jun 22, 2011
    Easily one of the best RPGs of this past decade, and what firmly rams it into such an elite category is the fact that it is a real RPG. Your choices have real impacts on the story - many developers claim this with it amounting to little in real terms but in this case, decisions are pivotal to AoK and how the story pans out. I've completed the game, but i haven't even played one half of it. That's because certain choices lead you to side one way or another a third into the game, which gives you an entirely different side of the story and shapes how the rest of your game will play out and what you'll be doing in your game. You're practically getting two games rolled into one, but the choices don't end there as there are roughly 8 different endings for each side, and all the choices you make throughout your playthrough will give you a different experience and story leading up to those endings. Such a system in what has become a stale genre catering for drooling buffoons is incredibly refreshing and something RPG fans of olde have been longing for. There's no good and bad system in making those decisions either, another plague of the genre being forced upon us elsewhere, but simply choices which lead to concequences, concequences which might turn out favorable or not, but there's no right or wrong. This all nods to the story telling which has endless (note: may not be endless) amount of plot twists and turns, always leaving you pondering over decisions, trying to decide if you're really making the wisest choice. The story has great depth to it, more so than any game for a long time or that I can remember without casting my mind back to the dungeon crawlers of yester-year. It can get slightly overwhelming at times and feel like characters and place names are being vomited all over you and you're expected to know who said what to who and where, leaving you to try and comprehend what has just been said - but that's accepted with open arms and glee when you know that the story hasn't been watered down for simpletons, and you see for yourself just how much detail they've gone to with the writing. It's like an interactive novel, apart from you're not just interacting, you're shaping and of course getting to play out all the action instead of imagining it. The plot here puts other RPGs of similar stature such as Mass Effect (one of my favorite series) to shame and makes that look like a childs toy in comparison. Especially when you come to the grittiness and darkness presented here. They've held back on nothing and the end result shows, not only in adult humour and content, but the plot benefits too. I've seen people complaining about the complexity of the combat, but this ties into the game not holding your hand or becoming a one button fest like so many others. The one problem I did have was between the difficulty settings, and finding I had to moderate them myself to keep the game challenging and even then it wasn't too hard. At the start a few fairly easy mobs will have you eating dirt, but later on in the game, even the supposedly hardest mobs are no match once you've mastered the combat, have some skills, items and decent gear behind you. You'll easily be finding yourself at the reload screen during certain fights if you wade in, but if you play it cool then no fight should be a problem and you can drop most enemies fairly quickly, so I feel balancing does need some work but it's no game-breaker. There's enough items to keep you interested in the loot and make it a rewarding experience, especially the crafting but managing your inventory can become tiresome and if like me, you care about getting the most out of your loot, will result in several slow treks to and from vendors - however there are mods out to solve this problem, so on my second playthrough I'll be using one of these. The attribute and skill system is very nice, and no path seems to be the prevalent path which gives you a good amount of freedom to shape your character for your playstyle or try new abilities for multiple playthroughs. A gripe of mine was not having a respec option, one only being available to you if you've made specific choices - which I hadn't. Every player should be given the oppurtunity to respec as otherwise it can lead to sometimes frustrating experiences, so choose your abilities wisely. The fact you have to drink potions before a fight, not always knowing when you're about to fight is an appalling oversight and I don't see why they changed it from the first game. Act 2 was a little dissapointing with linear areas and a plot then became flat, but it picks up again at the end of the chapter. The craft system is excellent and there's so many craftable items that you can try for an entirely different variety of tools at your disposal each playthrough. AoK is truly unique in its atmosphere and style. It's earned it's place as one of my favorite games of all time. Expand
  83. May 23, 2011
    So this is my second review here, TW2 is one of the best RPG games I've played - it has great graphics, good humor, nice story, animations and so on but on the second hand simply I can't give this game more than 7,5. CD Project Red I hope your next game will be better and thanks for TW2!
  84. Jun 20, 2011
    One word to describe it all epic .A little known developer has created a FANTASTIC RPG .Bioware should learn . Many are complaining about the difficulty but its not affecting me.The witcher 2 s graphics make dragon age 2 many generations old.Hats off to CD Projekt Red Studio.This really is a game of the year material.One complain though is that of the inventory and casting of spells..While dragon age 2 was a letdown wheres witcher 2 steps into another gear.The atmosphere & environment is great.It makes you sit out and enjoy the environment.The trend is changing .Its not always about the big developers.Along with the price tag I Recommend it to all .Witcher 2 is really anti-bioware material.Bioware u listening Expand
  85. Jun 10, 2011
    The Witcher 2 truly is a great sequel to an already wonderful game, the combat finally makes sense and the story is exhilarating. Shame about about the ending though.
  86. Jun 11, 2011
    I liked the game, but after playing it through once, I have not been able to muster up enough interest to play it through again. The balance is off. Combat in the early part, especially for the side quests in Flotsam are ridiculously hard, while the boss fights and combat in the later chapters is too easy.
  87. Feb 13, 2012
    Superb game. Awesome unique world of Witcher: tough, brutal, racism, sexism, bloody true medieval for mature players.
    Gameplay is very addicitive but very easy to absorb in. You should think and find a way for a victory for the each enemy you would fight( humans, and monsters( for example ctulhu-kraken boss). Story is awesome. You always surrounded by your friends( Zoltan, Sexy Triss).
    Its one of the best storyline i ever played. And ofcourse its non-linear!

Graphic is tough too. Vert good art job, style and HD textures. Id like nake many screenshots that look like photos while i playing it!
    Summary - its good alternative for each mature player, whose remember old-schoo rpg but wanna new features( like graphic, battle system, and dialogue). Its not like Skyrim( not soo endless) and not like bioware( here in Witcher not copy paste location and characters. Its made with a soul, i thought) but the unique new way of rpg!
  88. May 27, 2011
    This got such excellent reviews and I'm struggling to understand why. The lack of freedom while playing is the one thing that put me off - not freedom as in decided to go wherever I want to go but more in terms of it just being so forceful as to how I get there. You can't climb up most things or jump over them - when you can you have to "left click". You can't just enter a door unless you're right in front of it and when you can you "left click". To attack enemies you "left click" ok and you can "right click", "Q" and "E" but most of the time it's "space" "space" "left click" "Q" "left click" "space" "left click" etc. It's just not satisfying.

You're "pulled" or "pushed" through doorways rather than having free movement and the invisible walls (more like blocks) make it feel like I'm playing in a maze with very tight corners. The graphics are rather pretty but not pretty enough to have it killing my PC as it currently does. Oh and the camera view feels off as does the movement. Find herbs and making potions is another boring part of the game.

Conclusion: I just don't find this fun to play...isn't that way games are meant to do - be fun?
  89. Aug 8, 2011
    great story, great visuals, everything else is lackluster. Every enemy is so easy to kill even on harder settings, it is completely unrewarding but the story is great, if they released it as a movie or anime w/e it would've been amazing, or if they made the fighting half decent.
  90. Sep 11, 2011
    This game went the same direction as Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. RPG elements cut down to minimal, lots of sexual attractivity to lure the horny masses in front of the screen and a washed-up rest of what was a great game in Witcher 1. What a pity ..
  91. Jul 9, 2011
    Game of the year? Maybe... Rpg of the year? Hell yeah. The characters are intriguing, and the storyline is interesting to say the least. Geralt may be the single most badass protagonist ever made, and it becomes more and more apparent as the story unfolds. The graphics are phenomenal, sound is pitch perfect, and sound is top notch. Do yourself a favour and get this masterpiece immediately.
  92. May 18, 2012
    Let me start off by saying this game is not for everyone. If you want a lot of choice and open world exploration this may not be what you're looking for. This is also not an easy game to follow; I frequently felt lost in the story and kept mixing up all the places and characters etc and I've played The Witcher 1. Finally, the combat is not easy, and depending on which options you choose at the start, you could be in for a baptism by fire.

If you can get past these issues, then you will find a gem of a game that shines bright in a genre of wannabes and pretenders. This game makes BioWare games look tame and pedestrian in comparison. Where BioWare toes the line with sex, racism, language, and other racy topics, The Witcher 2 breaks through all barriers. This game does not mince words and it will make the competition just seem bland when you see how raw and honest it feels. From the graphics, which are visceral and gorgeous to the dialogue to the atmosphere to the amazing music, the Witcher 2 nails it. This is the type of game that you play and then every other RPG seems less fun and you wonder how you ever withstood the dialogue and melodrama. it breaks the cookie-cutter molds of RPGs that you see released like Madden games.

In many ways it reminds me of Knights of the Old Republic; KOTOR was a game that brought Western RPGs back into the mainstream in an industry dominated by cutesy Japanese animes.

In summary, this game is different. For better or worse it tried to do something amazing and that will alienate some people but I loved it and heartily recommend it to any fan of the genre.
  93. May 18, 2011
    Combat: You feel vulnerable. Some people dislike that (generally people that enjoy super-streamlined games), but to me it adds not only a sense of skill and challenge but makes the world actually feel as dangerous as it should. You don't just slash through things, its both tactical and reflexive. Contrary to what people who clearly are very novice in combat have said, you don't have to "run away", you dodge and circle, only retreating to reposition yourself when needed. It's undoubtedly more active and engaging than that of other typical rpgs like the elder scrolls series and dragon age.
    Character Development: More streamlined than some, less streamlined than others. However, there's no optimal build tedium and you get to play the style you want so there's little to complain about.
    Storyline: From a summarized synopsis the overall story is pretty typical and nothing new, however on the "micro" level (as you play through) the way it unfolds and the subplots that develop are at least pretty good if not very good.
    Overall: It's closer to open ended than linear and there's a ton of choice which affects gameplay far more than in any other rpg that comes to mind. Content wise, I'd say it's pretty stacked and can't think of a single area where it gets skimpy. All in all, in comparison to the generic, overly simplistic games that dominate the market now with cash being the primary concern of developers, this game is the best grab I've made in a very long time.
  94. Jul 1, 2011
    This game is the best game to come out in 2011. The good: Graphics are amazing, Voice acting is very good, Storyline is very intriguing. The bad - who am I kidding? nothing is bad in this game!
  95. May 18, 2011
    Good graphics, decent story line and most importantly, the game is generally IMPROVED over the last Witcher with more activitys to be involved with in the game. I was also happy how they improved the games load time and diffaculties. It could be harder but meh. I would give this game a 8.5/10 but seeing many DA2 fanboys created account after account to give DA2 a 10 and 0 for TW2 out of FEAR that they don't have a grasp on what a real RPG is and are generally pathetic people, I will give this game a 10 to help offset their emo retardness a little. Expand
  96. Jun 12, 2011
    Pros: - Great battle system - A wide array of weapons, items, and armors to choose from; an improvement from The Witcher 1 - Great narration of the story - Powerful voice-acting and dialogues - Overall very deep immersion - Diverse and serious quests Cons - A bit too short. Add 10 more hours to this and it'll probably become one of the best RPG ever - Initial chapters were a bit too difficult Expand
  97. Jun 2, 2011
    The first game in years to make my PC beg for mercy is also one of the finest examples of action Role Playing ever created. From the very start, The Witcher 2 just oozes atmosphere and finally brings back the true RPG experience from yesteryear. Yes, it can be challenging though not on simple 1 dimensional level , challenge comes in many forms not just from combat, you also are submitted to difficult choices and then experience the aftermath of your actions.

Don't expect any hand Holding - This is not an interactive movie disguised as an RPG.

Ever notice why some of these low ranking reviews only contain press release screenshots? Me too.....

98. May 18, 2011
    Wow, just wow.After we got served total failure under (false ) name of DA 2 , we now get true RPG and not some sim dating wannabee RPG click fest based on Twilight for puberty kids

Assassin of the kings? If kings are Bioware and DA 2 then it's so true. CDP don't get sold to EA like some others and keep up the good job...
  99. May 18, 2011
    I am writing this review as an honest appreciation for the work put into making this game a truly worthwhile experience

You know a game is well crafted when you after you play, you know it will end, and that you do not want it to end.

I first registered this account to critique the terrible job DA2 did with its original franchise, now I am here in love with what the developers of The
    WItcher 2 did to their IP. I am actually captivated by the story, the gameplay requires thinking, and the voices are absolutely amazing. I am glad they did NOT try to make the main hero bi sexual, or a sarcastic baboon, and kept true to a badass RPG hero.

Thank you CD Projekt Red, I was originally pirating the game, but after being swayed by the universal acclaim it received here, I bought it on GoG and cacneled the torrent, and am glad I did
  100. Oct 7, 2011
    In short, one the greatest RPG's of all time. Terrifically immersing world and story, believable and original characters, a staggering number of choices and consequences, and challenging gameplay to boot. A must play for fans of the Fanatasy RPG genre.
  101. May 25, 2011