8.5

1. May 17, 2011
    Nice graphics, nice fight system, awesome story... Code's optimalization is sux, but Im addicted to The Witcher (WICHA! xD) 2, by the way its a polish game, im the patriot and my score is 10! xD Hail to the king, baby :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) 10.0
  2. May 18, 2011
    Witcher 2 has continued to grow on me, and no, I'm REALLY not advancing the plotline. Just pacing though the original semi-open area, exploring every nook and cranny. Some people might call this a 30 hour game. At the rate I am playing 80. This is like bioshock was years ago, I just adore every single inch and feel incredibly at home. This is incalculably better than anything else I haveWitcher 2 has continued to grow on me, and no, I'm REALLY not advancing the plotline. Just pacing though the original semi-open area, exploring every nook and cranny. Some people might call this a 30 hour game. At the rate I am playing 80. This is like bioshock was years ago, I just adore every single inch and feel incredibly at home. This is incalculably better than anything else I have played for YEARS. The soundtrack is hauntingly flawless, the graphics are simply the best ever conceived (yes, better than crysis 1 on highest) and the combat system is deep and hard-as-nails. The games main downer is that it has to end. I don't want it to end!! If portal 2 was the ingenious of this year, this would be the class. 100% golden plated class. Expand
  3. May 28, 2011
    Simply an amazing title. Best story and graphics I have ever seen. GOTY 2011 hands down. Bioware might put some money in the market to make it not happen, but the people will know who the real winner is.
  4. May 23, 2011
    As a huge crpg fan i must say this is the best game I played in years. First things first: finally mature game, meant for adults to play and enjoy it, so there are no fairy-tales victories that make everyone happy, no clearly defined good or evil, instead, there are some serious moral dilemmas and real human emotions, not polished cartoonish crap publishers seem to favor nowadays. In fact,As a huge crpg fan i must say this is the best game I played in years. First things first: finally mature game, meant for adults to play and enjoy it, so there are no fairy-tales victories that make everyone happy, no clearly defined good or evil, instead, there are some serious moral dilemmas and real human emotions, not polished cartoonish crap publishers seem to favor nowadays. In fact, the only recent game that gets somewhat close to Witcher2 in this respect must be New Vegas; but it is not as good still (IMHO). Witcher2 is true dark fantasy, very enjoyable and immersive, and the story matches the mood perfectly. Quests are rather detailed, they fit the world perfectly and are meant to enhance your gameplay, not to stretch the game for another 40 minutes while you search for some stupid collectibles.

Second, this is stunningly beautiful game. The forests are magnificent, the cities are realistic almost to the point where you can feel the scents. Facial animation is not very advanced, but VO just makes up for that.

Third, combat and QTEs are very engaging and fun. Even arm-wrestling! Sword-fights are especially good - damn hard, fast-paced, and extremely fun. It takes some time to adjust to controls at first and if you're used to point-and-click type of gameplay you're going to be dying a LOT. It never seemed to slow me down, though - once you get the grip of the basics, battles are never tiresome, never boring, always somewhat different from your previous attempts and other battles, so you will NEVER find yourself redoing the same routine again.

4-th: the music is good. The martial sequence makes me want to take the sword in my own hands.

In all truthfulness, there are some minor issues - for example, when Geralt runs and turns, the animation switches way too sharply, it is not exactly smooth. Not every quest marker is placed accurately, but then again, the old games we all love had no quest markers at all.

Performance-wise I had no problems with the game so far (GOG.com version). The only thing I had to turn off was ubersampling, but then - I don't have the latest graphic card, and my i7 CPU is only 2.6 MHz

Less biased person would probably give this game score of 9, but me - I'm just love the world and am willing to overlook some minor issues.
  5. Jun 15, 2011
    What praise can I give this game that hasn't been given before? Well, let's just say that I bought and played TW1 just to be able to get into the story of this sequel, and it was well worth it!

Keep it up, CDPR! I look forward to more great stuff by you guys.
  6. May 26, 2011
    Unlike nearly all fantasy RPG's, this one actually has depth to it's story, depth that i have yet to see in ANY other RPG, why? First of all, it manages to recreate a truely authentic feeling medieval game world, where the land is governed not by your own status as a "hero", but by the kings that rule over them, and your merely just a warrior trying to help along with many others. Not toUnlike nearly all fantasy RPG's, this one actually has depth to it's story, depth that i have yet to see in ANY other RPG, why? First of all, it manages to recreate a truely authentic feeling medieval game world, where the land is governed not by your own status as a "hero", but by the kings that rule over them, and your merely just a warrior trying to help along with many others. Not to mention it doesn't carry the fanciful "kiddy" aspects of rpg's such as cut elvish women dual wielding blades while wearing armor that covers less then a quarter of their body, this game takes itself very seriously while also squeezing in some small moments of comedy which helps to diversify the atmosphere and create even more depth. The combat has been majorly upgraded as well, the magic system has been improved so it flows far more fluidly with more intuitive controls allowing for easier and quicker use. Sword-play has been polished and is now smoother then in the original game, allowing for easier encounters with enemies. If you think this game is hard, your not a gamer, simple as that, you may think it's punishing, but there are far more punishing games then this, this game requires a tactically sound mind and quick thinking. Dialogue and NPC character animation are superb, you can see the heart put into each simple little movement such as walking or drinking, each animation finely done to feel realistic and human, with characters speaking in ways which suit them and don't spout over-pretentious monologues which get boring and slow down the gameplay AND the story. (im looking at you Assassins Creed and Metal Gear Solid) I look forward to much more coming from this great polish developer, as they definitely have seemed to of learned from their mistakes in the past. Their future continues to look bright. Expand
  7. May 18, 2011
    Witcher 2 is probabyl the best RPG for any newcomer to this genre for being a game that challenges you as an adult. As an action/adventure player, my first foray into RPGs has been the mass effect series which I liked. I did play the witcher 1 but quickly got overrun by the excruciating details and frankly uninteresting standard stat based RPG combat. Same to do with mass effect 1. ME2 gotWitcher 2 is probabyl the best RPG for any newcomer to this genre for being a game that challenges you as an adult. As an action/adventure player, my first foray into RPGs has been the mass effect series which I liked. I did play the witcher 1 but quickly got overrun by the excruciating details and frankly uninteresting standard stat based RPG combat. Same to do with mass effect 1. ME2 got it right with nice action elements. With that, I went into DA2 without prior playing of DA1. But DA2 felt very tedious and just got boring. I finished the game, but wasn't too satisfied with the presentation and mechanics. It felt like a standard RPG. Witcher 2 on the other hand is unique. Never have I been challenged soo much in combat being a veteran action/adventure gamer (DMC3/4, GOW123, Darksiders..player). The combat is intense...satisfying. The graphics are if I may say, the BEST in this generation. The art direction is fantastic and the game reeks of polish.
    CDProject have outdone themselves and set a new bar for action RPGs. I only hope that the game reaches its full potential and rewards them with adequate sales and recognition. Congratulations CDprojekt for a spectacular masterpiece.

BTW...shame on you bioware for bashing CDprojekt.
  8. May 18, 2011
    masterpiece of a game. deep mature storyline, fantastic combat and incredible graphics. its a must buy for pc gamers. i cant stand that all of these people are trolling this game with low scores. its ridiculous.
  9. May 18, 2011
    Amazing game, not a thing to criticise yet. Totally caught me off-guard and improved basically ALL the negative points I found while playing the first installment.

Without a doubt, CD Projekt LEARNED a lot since the first game and watched what people have been saying about other RPGs these past years. The Witcher 2 really knows how to impress!
  10. May 18, 2011
    ED Studio takes the best of the achievements of BioWare and Obsidian Entertainment, introducing a ton of their ideas and outstanding artistic setting. The Witcher 2 impresses on so many levels that it is hard to clearly identify its strongest point.
  11. May 18, 2011
    A masterpiece of RPG genre. CD Projekt delivered everything they promised and more, one of the best RPG's i have played in recent years. Definitely a game of the year 2011 candidate.

Shame the score is being destroyed by some idiots.
  12. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Definitely the best game I've ever played, the game surefire candidate for 2011. A significant jump up after and so perfect a part of this game will be remembered for a very long Expand
  13. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is what RPGs and PC gaming are all about, this game is a must have for everyone and Iâ
  14. May 17, 2011
    Amazing game.From the graphics to the combat their have been innumerable improvements from the first. Customization of the character may pass on changing race sex and face but it has a deep and well structured skills/abilities and mutagen system that provides real choice and differences in game play. The icing on the cake is the story and especially characters. CDproject RED deservesAmazing game.From the graphics to the combat their have been innumerable improvements from the first. Customization of the character may pass on changing race sex and face but it has a deep and well structured skills/abilities and mutagen system that provides real choice and differences in game play. The icing on the cake is the story and especially characters. CDproject RED deserves many awards for this game. The graphical settings allow for use on a wide range of systems. While the norm seems to be max everything and complain the options given here allow even slower systems to run the game and look very good in my opinion, while higher settings allow for some of the best visuals Ive have seen. It has taken a long time for crysis to be matched this games to me at least does just that is not surpassing it.

Bugs at launch yes a few but all fixable (for me anyway),There are a few quest bugs but nothing major. There were some graphical bugs related to both nvidia and ati rather than the game, Nvidia had new drivers out on launch day and ati hot fix regularly.

A great experience
  15. May 17, 2011
    Amazing game!!. Work that has been done by CD Projekt to give such great entertainment deserves 10. I'm just wondering why there are almost only "10" and just few "0" and nothing between?
  16. May 17, 2011
    I have actually been enjoying this game so much that I felt compelled to make a metacritic account to express just how GOOD this game is. It is so obvious that this game was developed by a team that actually cares about it's story, it's settings and most importantly it's characters. This is a game built with love and it really makes this game special. I have been playing games for a longI have actually been enjoying this game so much that I felt compelled to make a metacritic account to express just how GOOD this game is. It is so obvious that this game was developed by a team that actually cares about it's story, it's settings and most importantly it's characters. This is a game built with love and it really makes this game special. I have been playing games for a long time but this is certainly one of the best games I have ever played. If you have the proper rig ( hell go buy a good one just for this game) you must play this game. You will be doing yourself, fellow gamers and independent developers a huge favor. Trust me. Go get it. Expand
  17. May 17, 2011
    bioware fanboys made me register at metacritic and write this review. first of all if you havent bought this game yet then you are depriving yourself of not just one of the greatest rpg but one of the greatest game of the decade Every single thing that you want to know is evident in every single positive user review. even though i have only completed almost 10 hours of the game, but theybioware fanboys made me register at metacritic and write this review. first of all if you havent bought this game yet then you are depriving yourself of not just one of the greatest rpg but one of the greatest game of the decade Every single thing that you want to know is evident in every single positive user review. even though i have only completed almost 10 hours of the game, but they say that the First impression is the last impression. its an amazing game a must buy! Expand
  18. May 17, 2011
    Witcher 2 is an amazing game in all aspects. Beautiful graphics and landmarks.......enjoyable quests, no load screens and above all they've improved the combat system that some people were complaining about in the first game(although i liked the combat system).
  19. May 17, 2011
    A crowning achievement in both development and distribution. Environments are richly colorful as they are beautiful. Combat mechanics are as simply devised as they are complexly augmentative. CD Projekt has certainly outdone themselves in every respect. With this stunning title and sister outfit, GOG.com, the Polish company has cemented themselves in the spotlight and hearts of both modernA crowning achievement in both development and distribution. Environments are richly colorful as they are beautiful. Combat mechanics are as simply devised as they are complexly augmentative. CD Projekt has certainly outdone themselves in every respect. With this stunning title and sister outfit, GOG.com, the Polish company has cemented themselves in the spotlight and hearts of both modern and classic PC gamers alike. Keep an eye closely on them as they understand their demographic more than any developer today (save only Valve). Expand
  20. May 17, 2011
    Let's be honest. Are you looking for one of the best true cRPGs in history? You want absorbing fights with high level of difficulty? Then don't look anymore because The Witcher 2 is here. There's no way you're gonna find anything as good as this at this moment. Forget about useless c**ps from bioware- they already proved with DE2 that they have already forgotten what a true cRPG is.
  21. May 18, 2011
    This game is a beautiful and atmospheric realisation of Low Fantasy that can't be found in other developer's games. The characters are not idealised, they're like real people with all the complexities and motivations that real people have.
  22. May 18, 2011
    Please, check reviews i_hate_poland & Bioware (lol). Gentelmen for BioWare dontt like to lose. The witcher 2 it's probably GOTY 2011. And this is a first game with free DLC :P Michasacuer
  23. May 18, 2011
    Brilliant, enough for me to sign up and leave a review. I've just made it passed the prologue, and am very very impressed. Key points for me are:
    - Graphics are subtly but firmly better than the current generation of rpg's.
    - Everything about the game feels really well produced. - The collectors edition is such a good show to the player base, they've thrown in everything and the kitchen
    - Graphics are subtly but firmly better than the current generation of rpg's.
    - Everything about the game feels really well produced.
    - The collectors edition is such a good show to the player base, they've thrown in everything and the kitchen sink. Great gesture of thanks/reward for supporting the game.

Given that they're a pc developer, and the crap that's come out of bioware recently, awesome stuff, we need more like this game.

What i really wanted to say is this.. being a pc gamer.. the thing that really strikes me about the witcher so far is.. graphically.. its ALMOST the Crysis 2 we should have got. The lighting effects and the amount and quality of the details in the environment have an uncanny resemblance to the original crysis, in terms of the graphical calibre.

I had a blast tweaking the game and seeing Geralt getting hit in the gut a few dozen times while working out the best configs.. The fact that the game didn't disappoint after this is the reason for the 10. The soundtrack is enjoyable to listen to also..
  24. May 18, 2011
    The best, complexed, and nonlinear story in cRPG since the long time. I might even say, since good old cRPG times (Baldur´s Gate, Torment, etc). Definately a game of the year. Or, perhaps, even years.
  25. Ex_
    May 19, 2011
    Revised rating. Pros of the game: improved combat system that's fast paced, forces player to pay attention to enemies, doesn't spoon feed you; mistakes are also felt in the game (you die on a boss fight, you start the boss fight over again, not from a check point and there aren't frequent autosaves although some may see this as a con); engaging story and graphics; decent use of quicktime;Revised rating. Pros of the game: improved combat system that's fast paced, forces player to pay attention to enemies, doesn't spoon feed you; mistakes are also felt in the game (you die on a boss fight, you start the boss fight over again, not from a check point and there aren't frequent autosaves although some may see this as a con); engaging story and graphics; decent use of quicktime; supports the 360 gamepad with control mapping and UI. Cons of the game: has a somewhat steep learning curve that may be off-putting to impatient players; menu loading can take longer than normal a lot of the time; uses a configuration utility instead of allowing detail changes within the game; ONLY supports the 360 controller. All in all, a good game. P.S. most of the negative reviews are from people who never played the game, are Bioware fanboys, or just didn't take the time to play more than the intro quest before getting their ass kicked, discovered that the game requires skill and not mindless hacking slashing, quitting and refunding. Expand
  26. May 18, 2011
    Excellent!
    Much better than Arcania or DA2, it's not only true, pure RPG, this is great hope for this genre! Epic story, realistic combat, funny e-eggs, interesting world, charismatic hero ...and is so beautiful!
    Game of the Year, and the best RPG since Planescape!
  27. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sensational game. CD Projekt will be rubbing shoulders with Blizzard and Valve soon if they keep up this quality. The attention to detail throughout is on a new level, you can't help but stop and gaze through a markets goods or simply watch villagers as they go about their day-to-day business. The story so far is enthralling and the character design is Blizzard standard. Expand
  28. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have waited a long time for this game, and my expectations were very high. And now after playing Witcher 2, I can say that I'm satisfied with every aspect of this game. The Witcher 2 should become an example for other developers, what RPG game should be. In one word, it is masterpiece. I haven't doubt that Witcher 2 will be the game of the Year 2011. Expand
  29. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a really complete RPG with loads of different elements that ensures that you get involved both with Geralt and the world of the Witcher 2. The action is tight and it actually takes some skill to kill your opponents. You may not be a juggernaut, but you can be sure that you have to the tools to kick ass. Six guards with attitude comes to kick your ass? Use the shield spellThe Witcher 2 is a really complete RPG with loads of different elements that ensures that you get involved both with Geralt and the world of the Witcher 2. The action is tight and it actually takes some skill to kill your opponents. You may not be a juggernaut, but you can be sure that you have to the tools to kick ass. Six guards with attitude comes to kick your ass? Use the shield spell and mind control one of them to do your dirty work and BAM, the odds are now in your favor.

Over all the Witcher 2 is a stunning looking, great playing and amazingly sounding game. Check it out or you'll be sorry.
  30. May 18, 2011
    One of the best cRPG I have ever played. Stunning visuals, immersing world, great music and voice acting. Ther are some minor flaws to, but Red's showed us that they support they products like no other studio. Its 9/10 in my opinion, but someone need to balance DAII fanboys.
  31. May 18, 2011
    Witcher is an icon of polish fantasy/science fiction. Thanks to
    CD-PROJECT we have a chance to experience it at our computer screens. So
    far, the best Polish game and one of the top around the globe. I could tell you that "Witcher 2" gives you wonderful experiences and sensations, bla, bla.. but I think that any of this words cannot explain it. The only way to understand what I am trying
    Witcher is an icon of polish fantasy/science fiction. Thanks to
    far, the best Polish game and one of the top around the globe. I could
    tell you that "Witcher 2" gives you wonderful experiences and
    sensations, bla, bla.. but I think that any of this words cannot explain
    it. The only way to understand what I am trying to say is to take a part
    in this amazing adventure. Its a graphic masterpiece - you cant missed it.
  32. May 18, 2011
    A real breath of fresh air in a market of dumbed down , sorry "streamlined" franchises, The Witcher 2 gives a fine example of an immersive, challenging, strategic and above all fun game with a real break from the linearity of it's counterparts.
  33. May 18, 2011
    One of the best RPGs to date. It's actually rather sad that a game as superb as this one has the unfortunate honour of being the subject of trolls who write bogus reviews in an attempt to advertise another game that performed poorly in its user rating (and rightly so).

Anyway, this game has it all. The dialogue, the characters, the graphics (superb!) and the gameplay have clearly been refined to the point of near perfection. The attention to detail that the developers have invested in this game is truly astounding. The backdrops are vibrant and really rather incredible, making the game an absolute pleasure to play. If your desire to buy RPGs has been crushed by the very game mentioned by the 0-rating trolls, fear not; there's no copied and pasted environments in this game. This is what a RPG should be and other developers should be taking note. Overall, I would give this game a 9.8/10 but Metacritic doesn't allow for decimal points in their review system and I feel 9/10 is too low for a game of this quality, so I'm rounding up. 10/10.
  34. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Witcher is an icon of polish fantasy/science fiction. Thanks to
    far, the best Polish game and one of the top around the globe. I could
    tell you that "Witcher 2" gives you wonderful experiences and
    sensations, bla, bla.. but I think that any of this words cannot explain
    it. The only way to understand what I am trying to say is to take a part
    in this amazing adventure. Its a graphic masterpiece - you cant missed it.
  35. May 18, 2011
    This game is a clear example of what a good PC game is. CD Projekt RED has done an awesome job with the story, graphics, and design of the game. The graphics engine, dubbed "RED Engine", allows you to customize a myriad of features ranging from screen space ambient occlusion to depth of field. Best of all, any future DLC for The Witcher 2 will be free (just as it should be for every PCThis game is a clear example of what a good PC game is. CD Projekt RED has done an awesome job with the story, graphics, and design of the game. The graphics engine, dubbed "RED Engine", allows you to customize a myriad of features ranging from screen space ambient occlusion to depth of field. Best of all, any future DLC for The Witcher 2 will be free (just as it should be for every PC game). If you're looking for a fresh, immersive, and complex RPG... then The Witcher 2 will keep you busy for hours. Expand
  36. May 18, 2011
    Well I'm just so stunned by the game, that I had to sign up and share. I believe it to be the first game since Baldurs Gate II that I just unconditionally love. I played the original Witcher and as a devoted Sapkowski's fun I liked it a lot, but was aware of and annoyed by its faults. With this game it's different. I know there are some (very few and minor) aspect that could be doneWell I'm just so stunned by the game, that I had to sign up and share. I believe it to be the first game since Baldurs Gate II that I just unconditionally love. I played the original Witcher and as a devoted Sapkowski's fun I liked it a lot, but was aware of and annoyed by its faults. With this game it's different. I know there are some (very few and minor) aspect that could be done better, but I just don't give a damn about them. This game is like a dog. A very nice dog that all the neighbors envy you. A pet, that will always have a special place in your heart even when it's long gone. As I said, for a decade I haven't felt like this about a game. I don't mind the lack of character customization, it never bothered me in RPGs. Back in the day of Baldur's Gate it was easy to do, no one required a game to have all the dialogs voice-acted. Now in games like the first DOA or KOTOR, it just pissed me of that almost all characters had voice and the one I'm supposed to feel the most bonded with is a fricking mute. I don't mind the difficult combat. It brings back memories of the great games of old, when you would load a save for a hundred times, mad with frustration, just to die again in what seemed to be an impossible challenge But in the end, you would win and feel pure pride and satisfaction.

I love the story, the looks and all the small and big improvements made by the Reds. I feel like if all the errors of the original Witcher had to be made to allow the second one to be the game it is. I love the developers approach, so uncommon these days, to just ignore all the weekend gamers and just focus on us, dedicated gamers, who see games as something more than just a way to kill time or release some steam after a tough day.

This game makes me proud to be Polish and right now I just don't care about all the things that Poland can't be proud about. You guys make us shine. I hope you continue creating games like this and remain a beacon for all gamers tired of developers treating games like a solely commercial product.
  37. May 18, 2011
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played and the only RPG I've played in recent years that has kept my attention from the beginning and held it. As for the combat, it is engaging and fun while maintaining a nice balance of strategy and action. On the "normal " game difficulty setting, the combat was just difficult enough to keep me challenged. The combination of magic / swordplay / traps &One of the best RPGs I've ever played and the only RPG I've played in recent years that has kept my attention from the beginning and held it. As for the combat, it is engaging and fun while maintaining a nice balance of strategy and action. On the "normal " game difficulty setting, the combat was just difficult enough to keep me challenged. The combination of magic / swordplay / traps & bombs is a lot of fun and gives you many options to use during the midst of combat.

As for the graphics, they are breathtaking. The attention to detail is bar none. The uniforms and patterns are incredibly detailed and well thought out. The environments feel so real and the dungeons give me a bit of a shiver with the perfectly reverberating sound and realistic atmospheric effects like fog / haze. There have been some complaints of graphical glitches, control bugs and other bugs... but I haven't experienced any bugs whatsoever. The load times are excellent on my mid-range rig and I'm able to run the graphics on "medium" and have perfectly smooth frame rates. I'm running an Intel Core-i7 870, 8 gigs of ram, ATI 5870 and Creative Soundblaster Fatility.

Thank you cdprojekt! THANK YOU!
  38. May 18, 2011
    For now I can only say - masterpiece...The game is so beautiful, so very well rounded. Dialogue - well written, very brilliant and sprightly, and immersive. Living world, interesting plot, all that atmosphere - great job. There are of course minor bugs, but I don't care ;) One of the best game I've ever played.
  39. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is the best-looking game ever! It kicks BioWare's ass in many aspects! First, of course, the graphics are amazing! Second, the decision we make in The Witcher 2 are way more serious and change much more than we experienced in Dragon Age 2. So think more than twice about what you are going to say/do! Third, I like the combat! It's not that easy-going combat from Dragon Age 2!The Witcher 2 is the best-looking game ever! It kicks BioWare's ass in many aspects! First, of course, the graphics are amazing! Second, the decision we make in The Witcher 2 are way more serious and change much more than we experienced in Dragon Age 2. So think more than twice about what you are going to say/do! Third, I like the combat! It's not that easy-going combat from Dragon Age 2! When we are facing many enemies at once it's not like: "So.. that's all you got?". We are no superhero. We experience how hard it is to fight so many opponents. We have to dodge them an hit 'em from behind. Plant traps and sometimes, we even need to step back for a moment. It's way more intense. Fourth, the story! It's a suspenceful story! I really like the turns in it and the long dialogues are the best I've seen so far. I really like RPGs that have not that stupid one-liner we all now!
    What's with that stupid female crap MarianHawke is writing about? Insulting? The female character aren't insulted in any way in this game! We have strong female characters, who are smart and are fully emancipated. So, play this game again and think about it. Thanks!
  40. May 18, 2011
    Amazing game, full of graphical splendor and deep storytelling. I really can't endorse this product enough, this will be an instant classic for any RPG fan.
    I also have to mention the savegame carry-over system. Save games change EVERYTHING based on what you did in the last game, a really satisfying experience for long-time fans.
  41. May 18, 2011
    This game is everything dragon age shoul have been. I love bioware but if cd project can continue to pump out this quality of a game, the gaming world will have a new rpg leader. It's very mature so do not play around the little ones if you have them. The game is near flawless if not flawless. It is also incredibly challenging. I died a few times during just the prologue. That's not a badThis game is everything dragon age shoul have been. I love bioware but if cd project can continue to pump out this quality of a game, the gaming world will have a new rpg leader. It's very mature so do not play around the little ones if you have them. The game is near flawless if not flawless. It is also incredibly challenging. I died a few times during just the prologue. That's not a bad thing. It makes it not feel like such a hack n slash. In dragon age 2 u feel like u can jump into 10 enemies and walk away with ease. Not here. If you jump into more than 2 it makes u sweat. I love that about this game. Graphically it is also really well done. The detail they put into it is astonishing. Foe example,If u bump a bucket of tomatoes it actually falls and the tomatoes fall everywhere. If you have the computer to play it and aren't afraid of nudity or very mature language I can't recommend this game enough Expand
  42. May 18, 2011
    An amazing game. Not just on a technical level, but on an artistic level as well. You can tell people had a lot of passion for this game when thye made it.
  43. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really think that CD Project made an grateful experience. The Witcher connect best parts of RPG. I'm hope Witcher became best game 2011... and now i back to play. :) Expand
  44. May 18, 2011
    This is one of the best RPG of all time! I played Witcher 1 few years ago and I'm shocked how different second game is. I have never seen a sequel that is better from previous game with every aspect. Now I am in act 2 (near end of an act). I think it's 50-60% of the game. It was the best 20 h with video game since I don't even remember :) Story is mature and with a lot of humour inThis is one of the best RPG of all time! I played Witcher 1 few years ago and I'm shocked how different second game is. I have never seen a sequel that is better from previous game with every aspect. Now I am in act 2 (near end of an act). I think it's 50-60% of the game. It was the best 20 h with video game since I don't even remember :) Story is mature and with a lot of humour in dialogues. NPC are the most interesting characters that video game can provide. Graphics looks astonishing. Even on my 2 years old computer I can play on High settings. If you like RPG - you must buy it! Last time I had such good time was when I played Mass Effect 2. Sorry Bioware but after Dragon Age 2 it's new king in town. Cd Projekt I am waiting for Witcher 3 ! :D Expand
  45. May 19, 2011
    I add this comment just to tell all those who complaints about the specs of the game that my two years old computer is totally able to run the game with ultra options. The only deactivated option is ubersampling, which is an option that requires a really high end cpu+gpu combination. In fact, this option can´t offer any differece on a mid-high pc, like mine (on graphics II add this comment just to tell all those who complaints about the specs of the game that my two years old computer is totally able to run the game with ultra options. The only deactivated option is ubersampling, which is an option that requires a really high end cpu+gpu combination. In fact, this option can´t offer any differece on a mid-high pc, like mine (on graphics I mean, fps reduction is very noticeable). So, please stop crying about this. The game is almost perfect for me, the only issue for me is in the combat system, which is a bit unprecise I think, despite of that, great game. (Sorry about my english) Expand
  46. May 19, 2011
    I love F:NV, but after playing TW 2 all i can say is: The Witcher 2 is the best RPG i ever played.... in my opinion it is Game of the Year 2011. Story is great and nonlinear. Music, world, choices , graphics - everything looks amazing! it is masterpiece from CDP Red. That is how should looks modern RPG! I belive it starts new chapter for RPG genere. No more crap like DA2, no more milkingI love F:NV, but after playing TW 2 all i can say is: The Witcher 2 is the best RPG i ever played.... in my opinion it is Game of the Year 2011. Story is great and nonlinear. Music, world, choices , graphics - everything looks amazing! it is masterpiece from CDP Red. That is how should looks modern RPG! I belive it starts new chapter for RPG genere. No more crap like DA2, no more milking players by stupid DLC. Expand
  47. May 19, 2011
    I play on low graphics. I'm below the minimum requirements for both processor and graphic card. Yet the game works, is fluid and beautiful. Engaging characters and story, well done prologue, varied and breathtaking environments. The environment themselves are not huge, but they usually are big and varied enough to enjoy some exploration. Gameplay wise, the combat is nervous and fast, butI play on low graphics. I'm below the minimum requirements for both processor and graphic card. Yet the game works, is fluid and beautiful. Engaging characters and story, well done prologue, varied and breathtaking environments. The environment themselves are not huge, but they usually are big and varied enough to enjoy some exploration. Gameplay wise, the combat is nervous and fast, but also highly tactical at higher difficulties. Takes a bit of time to get used to. Oh, and better read the f*ing manual during the installation. The tutorial is a bit lacking in that regard. It also got some "stealthy" phases. It's basic "don't get in line of sight", but it works, and it adds another flavor to the game. Bosses are inventive and difficult. No "pound-a-meatbag-o-tron" so far. Expand
  48. May 19, 2011
    A truly amazing, involving game, with great story and deep characters. This is also the most beautiful RPG of all time, as you can see from the screenshots or gameplays. I've already spent over 25hours in the game, and I'm more or less in the middle, which means it'll take 40-45hours for me to complete, which is fantastic. The game has 16 endings which is damn impressive. You can alsoA truly amazing, involving game, with great story and deep characters. This is also the most beautiful RPG of all time, as you can see from the screenshots or gameplays. I've already spent over 25hours in the game, and I'm more or less in the middle, which means it'll take 40-45hours for me to complete, which is fantastic. The game has 16 endings which is damn impressive. You can also import save games from Witcher 1, which influence your story with the choices you made in the first game. Great job CDP RED! Expand
  49. May 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Witcher 2 is my first CDproject game iv played, Iam ashamed to say but what a pleasant surpise. The game begins with Gerlat in a cell and shows as to how he went from king Foltest personal protector to his accused murderer after you escape the prison by means of stealth, shear force or to a lesser extent diplomacy you begin the adeventure of clearing your name. With out revealing much more the story is well paced and should keep most fantasy fans hooked till the end. The game is vast as to what you can do with a robust crafting system letting you make anything from swords to armour to buffs/potions as you'll need them to increase your chances of survival as the games combat can be brutal. The combat is comprised of light and heavy attacks, parrying, dodging and magic and you will need them all if you want to be a good Wither if you have played Demons Souls then you should get a good idea as to how the combat plays just speed it up a notch. The dialouge options are well rounded to suit the charater theres a bit of freedom as to what kind of things you say from intimidating to sarcastic, It tops most RPGs and is one of the best this genertation with its harsh apporach to combat and lack of nursing its a raw RPG that all can enjoy if you give your self time to adjust how unforgiving it can be. Expand
  50. May 24, 2011
    The best cRPG of decade. GOTD (Game of the decade) Amazing story, brillant graphic- This game is must-buy!!!! and i agree with @RogerEbertJr Bioware fanboys ratting game down.
  51. May 24, 2011
    This game is groundbreaking and unique. Best RPG I have ever played!
    Difficult! Demanding! Intelligent! Funny! Intriguing! Epic and beautiful!
    Heh ... The Witcher 2 "Assassin of Kings. "
    Yes! Witcher Geralt of Rivia - Assassin of RPG "Kings" such as Bioware:)
  52. May 27, 2011
    This game is a masterpiece. It is beautiful, challenging and rewarding. The
    attention to detail is incredible and it contributes to the creation of an
    amazingly lively world - the best I've ever seen in a game. Keep in mind though that the game requires involvement and willingness to learn how to use the many options and abilities that it has to offer. Otherwise it might just become
    This game is a masterpiece. It is beautiful, challenging and rewarding. The
    attention to detail is incredible and it contributes to the creation of an
    amazingly lively world - the best I've ever seen in a game. Keep in mind
    though that the game requires involvement and willingness to learn how to
    use the many options and abilities that it has to offer. Otherwise it might
    just become frustrating to play, because it will not hold you hand. It
    challenges you to think for yourself, it will not show you every step of the
    way. Few games these days treat you like an intelligent person, not like a
    moron. It is a very special experience, which is why I warmly recommend it.
  53. May 27, 2011
    This game is the best RPG I've ever played. Though now that I think of it, that's not so much (other RPG's I've played are Oblivion, Morrowind, Nehrim and Mass Effect 1). The beginning was hellishly difficult, but in that satisfying way. Don't get me wrong, you WILL die, a lot in fact. I always hoped for a game in which the amount of effort you put in your skills and equipment pays out- inThis game is the best RPG I've ever played. Though now that I think of it, that's not so much (other RPG's I've played are Oblivion, Morrowind, Nehrim and Mass Effect 1). The beginning was hellishly difficult, but in that satisfying way. Don't get me wrong, you WILL die, a lot in fact. I always hoped for a game in which the amount of effort you put in your skills and equipment pays out- in the end of this game you will feel divine, as the 3 soldiers who killed you oh-so-many-times in the prologue, can be slayed with an epic cut-scene after one click of the x button. In most games you hardly get to feel the effect of your decisions, in this game I had to spend hours thinking of my next move, and my next choice (I'm so so sorry Roche). The ending, though rushed to some, was suitably epic, violent yet peaceful, settling yet cliffhanging. With no doubt, Skyrim is going to have one hell of a time trying to beat this king of the hill in RPGs.

(And if someone manages to complete the game in Insanity mode, a thousand Internets to you)

P.S: What's with this error saying that Score (10.0) id must be a floating point number? For future reference, I'd give to game a 10/10
  54. May 27, 2011
    I won't go into plot details to avoid spoilers. Let's just say the story is mature (political intrigue, racism, etc.). There is no corny white vs. black decisions, and the decisions you do make WILL impact your gaming experience. The story, like the game overall, is immersive.

INCREDIBLY IMMERSIVE. The graphics are stellar, not only the best of any RPG that I've seen, but any game

INCREDIBLY IMMERSIVE.

The graphics are stellar, not only the best of any RPG that I've seen, but any game period. They are that good.

The combat takes some getting used to. I personally found using an XBOX controller superior to using a keyboard and mouse. To some, this may scream streamlining for consoles. Believe me, that's not the case. We had controllers for the PC long before game consoles appeared. You will find it challenging in the early going even on easy. You will get your butt kicked.

Which is good.

Lately it seems even nightmare and hard levels are too easily conquered (see Dragon Age). For me, that takes away the satsifaction of playing a game. There must be challenge, and here, oh boy, there is.

The best feature of the Witcher 2 isn't singular. This is an incredible game. It is evolutionary, challenging, beautiful, dark and immersive doesn't cover how much it will suck you into the world of Geralt.

If you buy one game this year or even in the next ten, buy this one. It is a masterpiece (and that's something I've never said about ANY game).
  55. May 27, 2011
    Game is awesome so far, only issue I had was a few bugs but barely noticed. it's not perfect but it's damn close. Graphics are amazing! but you need a lot of hardware. The story is very engaging.
  56. Jun 29, 2011
    THE BEST RPG OF THE YEAR!!! Fantastic graphic and gameplay. Epic story & fantastic andeventures. Now i wait to Witcher 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  57. May 31, 2011
    No fantasy RPG this year will come close to what this game achieves. It is pretty, challenging, mature and fun and on top of that it has the best graphics on a PC game right now. It is an accomplishment that will be remembered for years to come.
  58. May 31, 2011
    Great RPG with challenging combat, a deep broody protagonist and a cast of memorable side kicks. I have played through the game twice - hit both main story lines and I'm back for a third. At first I found the combat punishingly difficult (i'm mostly a console gamer - so that might also play into it) but once you get the timeing and nuances of spells, bombs, traps and dodging down itGreat RPG with challenging combat, a deep broody protagonist and a cast of memorable side kicks. I have played through the game twice - hit both main story lines and I'm back for a third. At first I found the combat punishingly difficult (i'm mostly a console gamer - so that might also play into it) but once you get the timeing and nuances of spells, bombs, traps and dodging down it becomes challenging but not frustrating. It is a game that rewards experimentation with the combat as well as with the role playing options. It is really nice to find an RPG that doesn't have a dumbed down combat system. We can handle moral dilema's and blade (or two) at the same time. My only gripe is that the previews made it seem like a much bigger more open world than it really is. I was hoping for maps at least as open as the original Witcher what I got was less open than that but more open then say Dragon II. As that expectation was raised I was initially somewhat disappointed to find the areas to be explored rather limited. As with the original expect a good deal of profanity, pretty close to full frontal female nudity, and moderately graphic simulated sex. Expand
  59. Jun 3, 2011
    >It's an RPG without stupid looking armor and sword floating on your back
    >Non Linear your Act 2 will be completely different depending on your choice in Act 1 new map quests
    >Dynamic Lighting, Extremely detailed Textures
    >Story and choices are gray meaning not Good Vs. Evil
    >The game doesn't hold your hand like a child
    >Combat is challenging
  60. Apr 20, 2012
    Absorbing, dynamic, witty dialogs, gripping, multithreaded story, non-linear quests, absolutely stunning graphics, variegated main characters, great cut-scenes, pretty opening and ending, adequate music, setting based on the series of great novels, completely free DLCs and enhancements, energetic, tactical fighting system and several annoying bugs. Eventually, one of the best role-playingAbsorbing, dynamic, witty dialogs, gripping, multithreaded story, non-linear quests, absolutely stunning graphics, variegated main characters, great cut-scenes, pretty opening and ending, adequate music, setting based on the series of great novels, completely free DLCs and enhancements, energetic, tactical fighting system and several annoying bugs. Eventually, one of the best role-playing games ever made! Expand
  61. Jun 28, 2011
    Awesome RPG from polish developers! Great dialogs, characters, graphics, music and etc.
    The Witcher 2 - Game of the Year 2011 and I love this game! :)
  62. Jun 28, 2011
    With amazing graphics and fluid gameplay, I am glad to have bought this one. As a fan of the first game, i was very excited to see this in the coming. I pre-ordered it the day that it was announced. The story here is one that will be remembered through gaming history. This could easily be game of the year, or best RPG of 2011. I implore those who love long adventures and greatWith amazing graphics and fluid gameplay, I am glad to have bought this one. As a fan of the first game, i was very excited to see this in the coming. I pre-ordered it the day that it was announced. The story here is one that will be remembered through gaming history. This could easily be game of the year, or best RPG of 2011. I implore those who love long adventures and great gameplay to pick this one up. Expand
  63. Jul 2, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011. The single best RPG I have played since Planescape: Torment. The characters are deep and complex, the storyline develops depending on your actions and choices. It takes what was good from every single RPG released in the last 15 years and makes it into something better. The graphics are simply the best ever seen in an RPG
  64. Jul 1, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an amazing game. Thoroughly captivating story, great combat, and a healthy dose of mature content. The Witcher series is the best RPG I have ever played and it is definitely 2011's game of the year. This game provides the player with the ability to decide how they want the story to progressive and it serves up an amazing amount of eye candy. The visualThe Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an amazing game. Thoroughly captivating story, great combat, and a healthy dose of mature content. The Witcher series is the best RPG I have ever played and it is definitely 2011's game of the year. This game provides the player with the ability to decide how they want the story to progressive and it serves up an amazing amount of eye candy. The visual effects in this game are unmatched by any other game on the market currently. The only reason I rate this game 9/10 is because it currently suffers from bugs that are being patched. The Witcher 2 is the best $50 you will spend in 2011. Expand
  65. Aug 20, 2011
    Very good game a good story. if a little short however the combat is very good and very challenging though the controls could be tightened up a bit as they can seem a bit unresponsive. Vastly superior to other rpg's out there such as Dragon Age which seems to have stolen its combat system from Runescape.
  66. May 17, 2011
    For me this is almost perfect game. The battles are wonderfully hard (on hard), characters are believable the quests and main plot are filled with grey area, the surroundings are amazing + probably the best rain effects i have seen in a game to date. Interface is extremely beautiful semi-minimalistic; only minor gripes being only seeing 8 items at a time in inventory and conversationFor me this is almost perfect game. The battles are wonderfully hard (on hard), characters are believable the quests and main plot are filled with grey area, the surroundings are amazing + probably the best rain effects i have seen in a game to date. Interface is extremely beautiful semi-minimalistic; only minor gripes being only seeing 8 items at a time in inventory and conversation selecting not fitting with the rest of the ui.

This is definitely worth a buy, with the announced free dlc and support for a good old schoolish rpg. That is for anyone who appreciates getting into the game they are playing and actually like using some thought getting through it.
  67. May 21, 2011
    This is RPG at it's best, and anyone who doesn't recognize that, does not actually know anything about RPGs. The graphics are just a bonus on top of amazing writing and gameplay.
  68. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Witcher 2 is definitely one of the Best Games Ever Made and probably Game of the Year 2011, but we'll see (Uncharted 3, Skyrim...). The game has everything cRPG should have. Very good optimization, best graphics (when thinking about all TPP games which were released till now), great, great, Great gameplay. Combat is not brainless hash but you need to think about some tactics. Everything in this game is thouht to be great - and it is indeed. 10+/10, because all DLC will be for free (except some huge additions with long quests and gameplay for some hours). Best wishes and good work CD Projekt RED! Expand
  69. May 17, 2011
    OK
    The best game of 2011 for sure. I mean what's not to like. Best graphics for a RPG and terrific combat animations. Story is nothing short of Mind-blowing and voice acting is terrific.
  70. May 17, 2011
    Easily the best RPG this generation. If not in the last 10 years. Finally a game made by people who love PC gaming. Go out and buy it, you will not regret it. Game of the year winner right here.
  71. May 17, 2011
    Outstanding, extraordinary and awesome game. One of the best games i have ever played, and i have played a lot of games. Don't mind the Bioware drones like M_Stannard they are a huge minority here :)
  72. May 18, 2011
    This game is all about what I expected from today's role-playing game. I think it has everything you can expect from such a game, as a MATURE player. Without a doubt, The Witcher 2 will be one of the best games in 2011. Congratulations to the Poles, who once again created something so addictive.
  73. May 21, 2011
    The Witcher 2 has a mature and compelling storyline that kept me playing for hours on end. The visual effects, graphics, and game play mechanics all tied into one of the best RPGs I have ever played. I was again stunned that CDProjekt included the official game soundtrack, game guide, and bonus materials with the standard edition for only $40. I would gladly pay for any DLC CDProjektThe Witcher 2 has a mature and compelling storyline that kept me playing for hours on end. The visual effects, graphics, and game play mechanics all tied into one of the best RPGs I have ever played. I was again stunned that CDProjekt included the official game soundtrack, game guide, and bonus materials with the standard edition for only $40. I would gladly pay for any DLC CDProjekt releases in the future. Expand
  74. May 21, 2011
    A truly epic game which takes the original game and improves on it in every way. Everything about it is excellent and worthy of Game of the Year for 2011.
  75. May 23, 2011
    Excellent game! If you love RPG this is the game for you in 2011. Simply superb graphics and storytelling. Different battle system compared to TW1 and it works much better. I had trouble playing on harder difficulties in this game when I breezed through the insane difficulty on TW1. It's a must buy. I would even re-play TW1 just to see how it affects events in this game. DO get this gameExcellent game! If you love RPG this is the game for you in 2011. Simply superb graphics and storytelling. Different battle system compared to TW1 and it works much better. I had trouble playing on harder difficulties in this game when I breezed through the insane difficulty on TW1. It's a must buy. I would even re-play TW1 just to see how it affects events in this game. DO get this game instead if you're thinking of DA2 which I never even bothered to finish. Expand
  76. May 25, 2011
    I can't speak for every gamer out there but the main reason I play games is to have fun, have some sense of accomplishment at the end of the experience and to enjoy those pivotal moments in between. This game delivered this and more in spades. Brilliant characters, excellent story, so many good things that I fear mentioning all of it could spoil it for those that have not played it yet.I can't speak for every gamer out there but the main reason I play games is to have fun, have some sense of accomplishment at the end of the experience and to enjoy those pivotal moments in between. This game delivered this and more in spades. Brilliant characters, excellent story, so many good things that I fear mentioning all of it could spoil it for those that have not played it yet.

The game has a few minor bugs, a few flaws with the inventory system in that you can only carry a very limited amount of items and the combat difficulty does seem to be 'challenging'. That said, if I gave the game a score lower than 10 for these minor flaws I think I'd be doing a great injustice to this work of art and to the people that created it.

If you enjoyed Witcher 1 you will enjoy this game, heck if you did not enjoy Witcher 1 you probably will still enjoy this game. This game definitely lands a spot in my personal top 5 best RPGs of all time ((In no particular order) Baldur's Gate 2, Morrowind, Planescape Torment, Knights of the Old Republic, Witcher 2)
  77. May 20, 2011
    An absolute flawed gem of a game that no serious RPG fan or PC Gamer should miss.

Yes, there are issues with the narrative, especially towards the end, but the overall experience is one for the ages!
  78. May 20, 2011
    So, Metacritic, can you please somehow balance out the "0" scores to reflect a true user score. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but "0".....really? More like the too cool for anything crowd weighing in. Loved "The Witcher", and "Witcher 2" is of he same or better quality, originality, and overall fun, as the original. Bad story line, boring graphics, old gray haired scarred manSo, Metacritic, can you please somehow balance out the "0" scores to reflect a true user score. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but "0".....really? More like the too cool for anything crowd weighing in. Loved "The Witcher", and "Witcher 2" is of he same or better quality, originality, and overall fun, as the original. Bad story line, boring graphics, old gray haired scarred man - huh? I have an HD ATI 5770 in a mid range Asus duel core machine dual core with graphics cranked up all the way with awesome performance and with some of the best graphics of any game out there. Game play is a little complex and a little different that the original, but within an hour or two (I guess if you have a short attention span, this may be too much to ask) you are cranking through some great individual and group battles using both long swords and/or Witcher powers such as fire balls, electric fields, mind control to name a few.

I am not a big RPG fan, more on the action shooter side of things. From the RPG perspective, Witcher allows you to make the game what you want it to be. As you advance through the levels you can assign attributes to customize "The Witcher" making him proficient in, magic, potions or as a sword wielding bad ass.

If you are on the fence on this one, and like Action and/or RPG games, could "tolerate an hour so" of getting the feel of the game, and have a good mid range PC (or better), you will not be disappointed. IMO, Witcher and Witcher 2 are in my top 5 games....up ther with Bio Shock, Dead Space, Modern Warfare...........it,s a great game.
  79. May 17, 2011
    I registered just to tell the world what a massive enjoyment this game is. Absolute, total 10 for one of the best RPGs since Planescape. It looks awesome, it sounds awesome and, damn, it plays awesome and tells you an awesome story!
  80. May 17, 2011
    Awesome game. that is all. If you love amazing graphics and great story lines stop reading and go buy this! You should know going in that this game has some steep system requirements! If you have the system to handle it get it! if you have anything less than a nvidia 470 or equivalent it may be time to upgrade.
  81. May 17, 2011
    Game of the year IMO. This game has awesome graphics even for some older VGA moving plot, fast pace and a pretty challenging combat system. It actually had me going for about 3 hours without even considering to stop. If you're saving up for Fable III, buy this one instead!
    Worth registering to Metacritic just to give it a 10/10
  82. May 21, 2011
    One of the best RPG games ever made. The amount of effort that CD Project RED put in the game is seen all over, from what is a Standart 50$ with all the additional content put in the box to what the CE is. The amount of work put on the details in game is also amazing. The story feels epic and the quests must be example for every new RPG that will come n the future. Yes the game is notOne of the best RPG games ever made. The amount of effort that CD Project RED put in the game is seen all over, from what is a Standart 50$ with all the additional content put in the box to what the CE is. The amount of work put on the details in game is also amazing. The story feels epic and the quests must be example for every new RPG that will come n the future. Yes the game is not without its problems, but you can overlook them if they don't break the experience for you. The game will be of cult status, like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and the RED's promise serious support for the game in the future. Expand
  83. May 18, 2011
    First, this game is awesome. If you don't play this game you are truly missing out on one of the Best RPG games ever. It amazes me when I look through the reviews and you see some guy give a seriously low score. Some of you must have no lives that you have to write low reviews of an awesome game. I can understand someone maybe giving this game an 8 or maybe even a 7 but any lower than thatFirst, this game is awesome. If you don't play this game you are truly missing out on one of the Best RPG games ever. It amazes me when I look through the reviews and you see some guy give a seriously low score. Some of you must have no lives that you have to write low reviews of an awesome game. I can understand someone maybe giving this game an 8 or maybe even a 7 but any lower than that you are just letting everyone know that you are a moron. This Game is a definite 10. I know that no game is perfect so in reality no game should ever get a 10, but any game that is so awesome and fun to play deserves a fat 10. Expand
  84. May 19, 2011
    This is the perfect sequel of the one best RPG game on 2007! If you are the Rpg lover game you don't forget this new story of Geralt of Rivia! The best character in the videogame industry!
  85. May 20, 2011
    I am seriously annoyed with how many people have actually just made new accounts out of jealously for how great this game is. Sure it does have it's flaws, but they are so few and devalued, that it is next to zero effect on gameplay. Being that this engine was made specifically with PC's in mind and not a console port as some moronic reviewers have put it, it is going to be more difficultI am seriously annoyed with how many people have actually just made new accounts out of jealously for how great this game is. Sure it does have it's flaws, but they are so few and devalued, that it is next to zero effect on gameplay. Being that this engine was made specifically with PC's in mind and not a console port as some moronic reviewers have put it, it is going to be more difficult to optimize for everyone's machine. I myself can play the game on max settings with very few framerate hiccups, but I can understand the frustration. I don't have a review as of yet, but I will tell you so far this second trip to the world of the witcher has been worth the wait and definitely outweighs the hype. Expand
  86. May 20, 2011
    I've played many RPGs in my life, and The Witcher 2 is one of the best! This game has attitude, and is challenging, with both a strong story and awesome graphics. Its also very immersive, because of the attention to detail and love of the game clearly shown by the developer. If you buy any game in 2011, this would be the one. I sincerely hope other game developers learn from this . . .I've played many RPGs in my life, and The Witcher 2 is one of the best! This game has attitude, and is challenging, with both a strong story and awesome graphics. Its also very immersive, because of the attention to detail and love of the game clearly shown by the developer. If you buy any game in 2011, this would be the one. I sincerely hope other game developers learn from this . . .

- Tim
  87. May 20, 2011
    Mature, intense, non-linear story, what else do you need? Well, the combat mechanics are a vast improvement over the first Witcher. However, mind you, the combat is extremely difficult, although realistic. A few swings from a swordsman can kill you, easily. I'm not going to dwell too much into the game, you have play it, but, so far, this is Game Of The Year. Skyrim might steal that crown,Mature, intense, non-linear story, what else do you need? Well, the combat mechanics are a vast improvement over the first Witcher. However, mind you, the combat is extremely difficult, although realistic. A few swings from a swordsman can kill you, easily. I'm not going to dwell too much into the game, you have play it, but, so far, this is Game Of The Year. Skyrim might steal that crown, but then again, Skyrim is a completely different game; sure both are RPG, but the mature, gritty nature of the Witcher is not comparable to the more fantasy-like characteristics of the Elder Scrolls.

Again, non-linear, mature story; difficult, but excellent combat system; 4 beginnings, 16 different endings, over 40 hours of gameplay, plus the developer has officially announced that the upcoming DLCs will be absolutely free of charge, there's really no excuse to not pick this one up if your an RPG fan. This game is one of the greatest of 2011, BioWare and Bethesda should take some notes.
  88. May 20, 2011
    This game exceeds every expectation you may think of, amazing story, amazing characters and the game is just plain good. The gameplay is awesome and the choices you can make are, well just great for every personality out there!

I recommend this game a 100% as it is one of the best RPGs I've played. So why are you missing an amazing game?
  89. May 20, 2011
    Finally I've played the game which make me really happy because of knowing that I live in Geralt's world full of intrigues and betrayds. Story? Amazing. Graphic? Spectacular. Combat system? Hard and really epic. Fun? For 200% ;)
    That's how the RPGs should look like and I hope it will be Game of the Year 2011.
    PS. Dragon Age, Mass Effect? Not any more.
  90. May 22, 2011
    I'v finished the game on hard level. My system is Win7 64. Game never crashed, tiny bug in inventory (bombs in slot). I bouth my computer 1yr ago and im playing on high options and it goes fluently (without camera mblur). Its beautiful game, great story, characters and plot. I reccomend it to everyone.
  91. May 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best game ever. I never play such a good rpg since BG2. This game have everything. Realistic world, nice graphics.I love geralt and CD projekt.

Realy good work. Thx
  92. May 23, 2011
    The game is gorgeous. It has always been my belief that for a good RPG, the game-play must be on top. The Witcher 2 proves that graphics - amazing graphics - can also be on top. The game looks incredible. Up until now I thought that Oblivion and Mass Effect was the top - not anymore. I don't even want to mention Dragon Age - that age (neverwinter knights engine on steroids) must go.

It

It is 2011 now. PCs are not the last-gen Consoles anymore. A medium GPU card has enough RAM to run Windows 7, and benchmarks showing stuff we never get to see in games. Up until now. Bioware should look very closely, because Low-poly and maroon color-pallete is soo yesterday!.

Project RED may have started with Withcher One on a Neverwinter Nights modified engine, but they show that evolution cannot be stopped by a "works fine this way" approach. You might have seen screen-shots, gameplay movies, it looks even better in reality :-).

I know graphics just look good, but RPG is not a scripted slideshow between chess-turn-based "battle" sequences. Oh no, Witcher 2 is very fluent and real-time. You are a powerfull, but there are even more powerful foes out-there. Besides swords you also have magic and alchemy to help you win.

Story-wise, decisions you make matter. They matter in such a big way, that all the game that follows that decision is different. And there are no easy decisions, no-one is bad and no one is the good-guy. You can be what you will dictates but know that in ONE gameplay you will only see 70% of what the developers have so crafty put into this project. This adds to replay, maybe next time you'll spare the boy, maybe you will not...

I see this a s a milestone in RPG gaming. YOU deserve this game if you love great RPGs.

As an ending, all the DLCs will be FREE and I can't wait for the first add-on and my next playthrough.
  93. May 23, 2011
    A GOTY Material!

This game is AWEESOME a must have for any mature RPG player. Finally a game that is not afraid to show nudity because of some fake BS morals and cheap political correctness. Finally a game without pushing gay romance (yek) on normal people (I hated this part in DA game). First this game shows the world like it was in middle ages, meaning woman was no-body, so
    A GOTY Material!

This game is AWEESOME a must have for any mature RPG player.
    First this game shows the world like it was in middle ages, meaning woman was no-body, so criticizing this game about being misogynic is just pure BS and lack of history knowledge.

This review is more a replay to negative reviews, people complaining about graphical issues should check their antiquated PCâ
  94. Apr 19, 2012
    The first hour or two of this game, I hated it. Sure the story was great, and it was absolutely beautiful (although demanding). The combat is hard initially, but can be loads of fun once you adapt and learn to plan out your approach. The story is full of multiple meaningful decisions that result in completely different games - taking you to entirely different areas and methods of plotThe first hour or two of this game, I hated it. Sure the story was great, and it was absolutely beautiful (although demanding). The combat is hard initially, but can be loads of fun once you adapt and learn to plan out your approach. The story is full of multiple meaningful decisions that result in completely different games - taking you to entirely different areas and methods of plot progression. I highly recommend pushing through that initial learning curve, as you're then left with an awesome game to be immersed in. Expand
  95. Jun 26, 2011
    An absolute masterpiece no more no less. Not as demanding as people claim it is if your system is semi-decent. A must buy for ANYONE who claims to enjoy RPGs.
  96. May 20, 2011
    2 words.Perfect game...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  97. Jun 1, 2011
    One might think a critic's score of 88 (current) wouldn't be something to complain about, but once you've played The Witcher 2, you'll realize it is. .
    The Witcher 2, if fairly scored, would easily be in the mid 90's, if not higher. .
    Unfortunately, you have a professional troll in the Destructoid's 60 score, an idiot in the case of ActionTrip, who even admits on their own forums the game was underscored, and The Escapist, a site that not only scored the abysmal Dragon Age 2 *higher*, but said that horrible game is, "What videogames are meant to be". .
    TW2 is a strong contender for GOTY. I'd score this game an 11 is the site allowed it.
  98. May 17, 2011
    Best RPG i ever playedBest RPG i ever played !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  99. May 22, 2011
    Some aspects are quite good, some really annoying. I enjoy the characters overall. The combat overall is fun. Alchemy and signs to a lesser extent add some interesting depth, though I find some signs are definitely more useful than others.

Here are where I find the game has it shortcomings. 1. I can't say much about the graphics, because my rig (tried on 1gb ATI and NVidia) doesn't seem enough for more than low settings without serious drag. 2. I find it really hard to use the mouse. Sometimes, despite setting mouse sensitivity to low, I find myself facing 180 degrees away from where I want to be. Ironically, I have the opposite problem on the arm wrestling game, where I can't make my mouse stay on the yellow bar. Once the other guy gets going, there is no way for me to stop the descent. It makes this minigame one of the least enjoyable I've played in my 30 years of gaming and I'll avoid it as much as possible. 3. Often my keystrokes are missed, so that I push them multiple times to get something done. This increases as the game plays, which I guess means a memory leak and repeated on and off's. 4. I actually liked the character model for Geralt better in TW1. This one doesn't quite cut it for me.
  100. May 17, 2011
    awesome game, just got into the middle of chap 1. so far it is awesome. combat is not as was in the 1st game but still fun. i do miss the old combat system some but oh well. witcher is truly an awesome game to look into playing. a side note. play 1st witcher before you play the 2nd
  101. May 25, 2011
    I am both amazed at the improvements to Geralt's virtual world as I am disappointed in the new combat system. I was a big fan of The Witcher, and I am learning to enjoy The Witcher 2. The Witcher had me from the first hour of play. The Witcher 2 does not have the same magic, IMHO. I'm sure the forthcoming patch will improve things. Kudos to everything but the dumbed down console styleI am both amazed at the improvements to Geralt's virtual world as I am disappointed in the new combat system. I was a big fan of The Witcher, and I am learning to enjoy The Witcher 2. The Witcher had me from the first hour of play. The Witcher 2 does not have the same magic, IMHO. I'm sure the forthcoming patch will improve things. Kudos to everything but the dumbed down console style play. The latter along with weakening the character does not make for a great for a better game. The authors should have stuck to PC or programmed a separate track for PC. Still entertaining. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011