8.4

1. May 27, 2011
    Epic game! Fantastic graphics, story, characters, dialogues, combat,environments... everything. Maybe the best RPG ever created.

Cant wait for expansion or The Witcher 3.
  2. May 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. awesome. great story, characters, funny dialogs and scenes, lots of different outcomes of dialogs, depending on what answer you choose. after 1st patch huge performance improvement. looking forward for next stories about Witcher, since the ending is obviously opened for future.... Expand
  3. May 28, 2011
    One of the greatest RPG's i've ever played and possibly game of the year. People giving this game 2,3 or even lower are simply people that either never liked/played RPG's or just having technical problems and are taking their grief by scoring it low which is sad really. Yes it has a few problems, as every game out there, but as a whole the positives of the game just dwarf the negatives. I recommend it to any RPG fun out there. Expand
  4. Jun 29, 2011
    THE BEST RPG OF THE YEAR!!! Fantastic graphic and gameplay. Epic story & fantastic andeventures. Now i wait to Witcher 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. May 29, 2011
    I tried this game out without first playing Witcher 1 and initially sympathized with negative criticisms put forth by the few who seem to find this game lacking. Upon my second play through, the story came together and the combat style really sunk in. I can't believe how well done this game is. Some players find the steep learning curve to be a flaw, but I think it's yet another positive aspect of the game. After all, there are plenty of games out there (Dragon Age II anyone?) where you can mash the keyboard and win. Expand
  6. May 30, 2011
    Great game! It is not boring and naive! There are a few bugs. And so what? Do you prefer error-free game, but terribly boring? Really? Well, you get bored on. I'll play again in TW2. Best game this year. Not just graphically. This game returns to me the joy of the game! Thank you for the creators of The Witcher 2!
  7. Jun 2, 2011
    There aren't many words to suit this game, EPIC comes to my mind tho. Depth of the story sucks you totally in, amount of choices, realism of the fights, all those little tasty things, world that is truly alive... peaks atmosphere to the max! We're half way there, but I already know, this is a Game of The Year for me.
  8. May 31, 2011
    The game is wonderful! . It is a pity that the trolls lower scores. I really do not understand these people who give a 0 or 1.2,3,4. It's a lie! A long awaited step forward for the RPG genere. The Witcher 2 is the best rpg since Baldurs Gate2. The combat is improved and of course the story and graphics = the best. Amazing game, it is not a game, it is a book with movie in witch you play as Garald. The best RPG until today!CD Projekt Red have absolutely awed me with the quality of work they have put into this game.
    I am telling my friends who I know like RPGs to buy this game.
  9. May 31, 2011
    This is probably the best RPG out in 2011 along with Skyrim, forget that horrible dragon age 2 and go buy this game. Graphics: One of the best looking game, this is kind of game you should expect on a pc, not a console port..high detailed textures, beautiful models, animations, effects, landscapes and so on
    Gameplay: Great improvement on witcher 1 (combat, skills tree, etc), some minor
    issues with inventory or alchemy but i'm sure they'll fix them with incoming patches
    Sound: Great work on voices, cool sound effects, i think witcher 1 ost was better but this one is still great
  10. Mor
    May 31, 2011
    One of the Best Games for PC this year.Its definitely one of the best games i have ever played. Complex and mature story, fantastic fighting system, beautiful graphics .this game simply have it all. Game of the!!!!! year for me .
  11. Jun 1, 2011
    As a hardcore Dragon Age Origins fan I hate to say this but... I suggest you buy the Witcher 2 instead of Dragon Age 2. The Witcher 2 is without a doubt a if not; THE top contender for the best RPG of the year. The developers has actually spent time developing and designing this sequel unlike those lazy bastards of BioWare and Witcher 2 is truly a great game. I suggest picking this game up anyday. Expand
  12. Jun 2, 2011
    We are living in a world in which when you are a rookie game developer company and you want to make a project that will be a hit, you must come up with a really good and original idea. CD project Red did exactly this with The witcher; A hardcore pc RPG tittle that was clearly unique in terms of story and gameplay options. The success of TW1 led cd project red into making a second game of the witcher concept in which they experimented even more using their own brand new game engine-an utter fail. The graphics may be brilliant, but the really -REALLY bad combat system blows away one fo the most important rpg element - the battle strategy planning. If you want to play a good action-adventure game TW2 wil satisfy you. But if you want to play a deserving sequel to The Witcher you will taste disappointment. It just lacks the magic of the original. Expand
  13. Jun 4, 2011
    The job CDP have done here is simply stunning. The game runs at about 30 fps at 1080p on my rather outdated Radeon 4850 and the quality of its art and visuals make me think of Blizzard games. Impressive job, given the fact that these Polish guys probably don't have the resources of major Western studios.
    Just walk through the forest near Flotsam at night to understand what I mean.

I'm
    mostly staying away from Quen during this runthough; the fights require a bit of research - collecting books about the enemies, preparing blade coatings and potions for the witcher, while the story is top-notch and very much in the spirit of Sapkowski's "Blood of the Elves" and "The Last Wish".

Definitely recommended if you want a game with an engaging story, in a stylish package - finally something to put your 2010 computer to work in a non-gratuitous manner.
  14. Jun 4, 2011
    That's the World Wide Web: Even for the things you really really, authentically like, there's always opinions about it who don't. ALWAYS. It's a bit sad, but...so what? These are just my 2 cents, and I want to make them simple:
    A.) Thank you world that games like The Witcher 2 still are being made.
    B.) The Witcher 2 is new and it is different, but If you for some unexplainable reason liked
    games like Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, The Longest Journey, Outcast, Silver (yes, they are related in some special way).... felt their magic, felt that if you cared about them, your time wasn't wasted, you GOT something out of these games besides shallow entertainment: Then you may like The Witcher 2. If on the other hand you somehow, deep down, couldn't understand what good there really was about the "rationally" awesome games of the last decade: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Crysis, even Neverwinter Nights.... if you somehow were disappointed by them... you may like The Witcher 2, too. Expand
  15. Jun 5, 2011
    It will be a brief review of the game. It is simply great.
    I'm a big fan of DA: O. (I'll still) I saw the first review TW2. ("Wonderful, Beautiful, RPG of the Year") thought that the game is overrated. I have read different opinions and I watched videos on You Tube. And this game seemed to me more and more interesting. In the end I saw this game on my friend's PC. Oh, Jesus! Cake with
    cream:) This game is great.
    I did not think that RPGs could be so mature and realistic. I bought!
    My PC is old and I play on the lowest settings. And it still looks beautiful.
    She has patch 1.2, so I had no big problems. I have a NVidia card, Pentium Dual-Core 2.5GHz and 4GB RAM. I recommend to download is about new drivers for Nvidia:)
  16. Jun 5, 2011
    Nothing is perfect, but this game is cutting it close.
    From the first steps in this game you are sucked in, it breaths atmosphere and with its mature rating it does feel as medieval times. Unlike this other famous RPG developer, choices do have a big impact on the story and open/close quests and story paths further along the game what gives it a big replay value as well. There is no
    (obvious) content recycling either.
    The game is a bit difficult at the start and would benefit a bit more from tutorials using the magic signs.
    The game has a few small flaws, like the effort it takes to drink a simple potion, and the lack of a junk tab in the inventory, and the facial expressions are not that good. But these are some minor annoyances.
    The best indication for The Witcher 2 being a good game is that you want more once you finished the game.
    And as an extra, there is no DRM and free DLC.
    Can't wait for an expansion :-)
  17. Jun 20, 2011
    Brilliant game! A huge and very detailed world. A complex and inspired story that your character can actually influence. Depending on your choices you can get completely different quests in the second chapter, making your second playthrough feel like a different game. The story consistent and immersive, mature and morally ambiguous. The quests are highly varied, original, dramatic and frequently surprising. True to its genre, you are playing a role here and it's a good one. Expand
  18. Jun 11, 2011
    How is it possible to not like this game!!! It's the best RPG I've ever played, besides maybe Fallout 3. But that's not an apples to apples comparison. GOTY by far - best graphics to date (I have a computer that can max this out, including ubersampling) and it is f*n beautiful. Beyond words. The combat system is fun as hell and this game is worth way more than the $50 asking price. Story line is great, I don't even need to say more. If you don't like this game something is wrong with you :) Expand
  19. Jun 13, 2011
    One of the best single player RPG I have played in a while. Great story, graphics and combat system, everything seems to be improved from TW1. Much needed after the DA2 letdown.
  20. Jun 13, 2011
    A true masterpiece of the computer gaming world! I enjoyed every minute of playing this game. The story will engross you and take you deep into a magical world. The game is made with passion. It is at heart a game made by gamers for gamers. Highly recommended. A near perfect RPG with all the key ingredients that make it so immersing. JUST BEAUTIFUL. I felt proud to buy this game.
  21. Jun 14, 2011
    It's a great game! It is really beautiful and epic. As I read the "opinion"of someone with the nick stefanakisgr I think people are really pathetic. What's wrong with you?
    Score 0 - 4 can give a troll, or some stupid kid. And this is not a game for children, and not for the stupid. I do not know why someone may write such nonsense about this game. You do not like this game, play something
    else, but do not lie. I appreciate the game on 9.3. It is not perfect, but almost.

Combat is interesting and complex. It requires tactical thinking.
    If anyone expects to be waving his sword to the left and right without any sense it will be quickly killed. This game is different than most RPGs. And thanks God!
    Graphics - is a masterpiece. A beautiful and detailed.
    Music - top notch!
    History addictive. The main character truly unique.
    A little too short Act 3, but it is hoped that this introduction to TW3:)
    An illusion of open space? And what is better? Open space and great boredom, or slightly smaller but with a fascinating story?
    Plastic characters, or complex characters?
    Your choice.
  22. Jun 15, 2011
    Don't wish to write a lengthy review, just want to say I love this game: the world, the characters, the story even the combat. It has some flaws sure, but they are minor and don't take away from enjoying the game overall. I also like the company, their support for their games, keep it up CDPR!
  23. Jun 17, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011, at least in RPG genere . game is simply amazing, best cRPG in this decade :-) it i sgood - you will be surprised it is still available on game market.
  24. Jun 17, 2011
    After a few of weeks with Witcher 2 I'm basically in awe of the effort put in here by the developers. The graphics are the best I have seen in a game as simple as that, from environments to the texture on armour and weapons, its actually a joy to just exist in the world and be immersed. The art direction is perfect as well, the world feels real in a sense. Lighting is amazing, right through the weather effects and day night cycles, sound is also perfect from the wind blowing in the mountains to a creature attacking from behind making you jump out of your skin.

I can see how some people may find combat too hard, if you simply charge in you need to be skilled up, which you can do but it takes time. Witcher 2 forces you to think about combat, you need to develop tactics and these vary from situation to situation. Personally as I've levelled up and chosen my skill path I've been able to develop my own style of play and this depth has made combat a really rewarding experience. There's always a risk of getting wiped out and it makes fights really visceral. Excellent finishing moves are also worth a mention here, should be in every game.

What else, quests are complex and some of the best I've seen, story branching forces you to make tough choices. Crafting actually feels like its something you want to do and tends to be a challenge. The humour is great, runs super smooth with no crashes or bugs in general.

Definitely a strong game of the year candidate.
  25. Jun 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great adult-themed story. Deep and memorable characters. Meaningful choice and consequence options. Interesting and challenging combat and character development. Tons of replay value. Perfect score and voice acting.

Patch 1.2 solves most of keyboards responsivness during combat and quickitem slots problems.

Eager to see some DLC that continues the story.
  26. Jun 18, 2011
    I never write of games, but I had to after reading some the garbage "zero" score reviews. This is simply one of the best RPGs I have ever played! If you love amazing graphics and great story lines stop reading and go buy this! GOTY easily for any PC gamer and RPG fan.
  27. Jun 19, 2011
    One of the best RPG of the decade. Keep in mind that I don not have a powerful pc. But I was able to play smooth for almost all the time. Good work CDPPR!
  28. Jun 20, 2011
    great game - story line really seemed meaningful (made you think b4 u decided and great story branches for replay value etc), you developed some great connections with the NPCs ingame, the graphics and overall atmosphere was pretty cool. Combat mechanics probably the weakest point - while good didn't quite hold its excitement towards the end of the game (cast quen - whack some bad guys - cast quen again - whack some more bad guys etc). Expand
  29. Jun 19, 2011
    A Master Piece, describing well the universe of Andrzej Sapkowski's works. Dynamic combats, great writing, great graphics, great songs added to the atmosphere, easy and friendly crafting and a Story well "polished" :p. I see more than a trilogy for this game.
  30. Oct 18, 2011
    Absolutely fantastic and my personal favourite for the GOTY-title.
    The world is rich, voice-acting is perfect, facial animations are great and the combat is fun and fluid, though not really challenging. What is challenging, is the choices you have to make which will change the game-world decisively.
    One of the rare games I care to pick up twice to see more of it.
  31. Oct 5, 2011
    Witcher 2 is one of, if not, the best experience I have had with gaming in 2011. After playing through and enjoying Witcher 1, I knew this game would not disappoint. The graphics are better, the combat is more refined, the plot and character interactions just keep getting better and better. Definitely worth the purchase for anyone into WRPGs.
  32. Jun 19, 2011
    Game has a story I can really get into mixed in with solid gameplay and combat. Played it on hard and it actually gave me a ridiculously hard yet rewarding experience right to the end of the game. Replaying it again because your choices affect the outcome of the story and I want to see what I missed. Tip: If the fights seem too hard, you just need to adjust how you approach them. Every enemy type acts differently and has a Achilles Heel. Expand
  33. Jun 21, 2011
    Game of the year 2011. Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings is a highwater mark in gaming. CD Projekt Red has set a new gold standard in interactive entertainment.
  34. Jun 22, 2011
    If you are looking for a twee RPG to comfort you after a nights bedwetting then this is certainly not for you. For those of sterner disposition, Bang on.
  35. Oct 15, 2011
    I played the first Witcher for a bit. Liked it, but it didn't have enough to see me through to the end. For me though, Witcher 2 is a different thing. The story and the world is so complete, it is like playing an adventure game, but instead of solving puzzles to get to the next chapter you need to go through some challenging real time combat.

The hero is not a one dimensional RPG hero. It
    becomes apparent that the Witcher is a part of the human comedy. Waking up on the river bank after a night drinking with the soldiers, you have been stripped of your possessions and you cant remember anything. You have to pay a visit to the madam at the brothel to find out what you were trying to do with her whores. As you are walking out you hear "Punch his lights out!" from the fistfight in the corner of the inn. As you climb the stairs, someone is vomiting into a tub. One of the professional reviewers mentioned it is a game best played slowly. It is indeed, I savored every moment. Expand
  36. Jun 26, 2011
    This is, by far, the most adaptive RPG that I have ever played. As a self-proclaimed Bioware aficionado, that's saying something. TW2 bends itself to make it *your* game. As a case in point, during the second chapter of the game you can end up in two entirely different cities. While some of the quests do overlap, they are few and far between. The sides could be compared to Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card. While the two stories narrate the same conflict, they are from different points of view. Not mention the graphics. Oh, they are absolutely glorious. I'm pulling a 2600K and a 6950 and I still can't go to the UberSampling. The game, no matter what level of hardware you have, looks absolutely astounding, and a special shout-out to the gorgeous weather effects that are positively stunning. The only true problems I had with the game have been fixed through updates and patches. And... Semi-Spoiler Alert!

The ending is the most lackluster that I've ever played in an RPG comparable to the build-up it had, which is why I knocked off a point. Considering that this only the last two hours or so of the game, it's definitely excusable. Plus, The Witcher 3 with imported saves is inevitable.
  37. Aug 23, 2011
    Awesome game. I thing it is the best games in this year, story in the game is great, npc and characters also, you should play this games. CDP RED make good sequel TW1.
  38. Jul 3, 2011
    This game sets the benchmark for RPGs for many years to come and has the potential to be the start of the best series ever. This game easily deserves a 10, it simply tops every rating category with only very minor problems that can be addressed in a patch.
  39. Jul 11, 2011
    Phenomenal! In my opinion one of best RPGs ever. After the first Witcher, I was afraid that CD Project, will listen to voices calling to make game more suitable for younger audience. To soften language and make Gerald's actions less violent. Yes, there were such opinions, even press articles (of course, it was not gaming press).
    Praise the heavens, CDP stayed the course. Geralt is exactly
    how he should be. At the beginning, the game seemed to me to be too short, but after finishing it for the second time, immediately after doing it for the first time, I don't have this feeling anymore. Expand
  40. Oct 7, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an exceptional RPG. The story itself is long and extremely well written, it's executed perfectly, it's almost readable like a book. The combat is fun and challenging as much as it is rewarding. The atmosphere is lush and graphically impressive. What this game doesn't have is a character creation system. But guess what-- it doesn't even need one. Geralt is an indefinitely example of a real character, he's simple minded, charismatic and strong willed and he's one hell of a monster slayer. Expand
  41. Jul 20, 2011
    The only reason I considered giving this game any points were its incredible graphics but that's about it. The lack-luster combat of this game killed this game for me. Luckily I was able to check this game out at a friends place so didn't had to spend any money. I have so many other games to try that I usually move on if the game doesn't hook me from the onset. Witcher 1 hooked me right from the prologue and I really liked its more simplistic and fun combat. Witcher 2 combat just didn't grip me atall. Geralt has went from a master swordsman to a novice it seems, rolling, avoiding attacks, parry, have to be using signs, no auto-target; basically getting his behind kicked most of the times. Combat is as essential element for me (perhaps even more) as story and graphics. So the boring, somewhat hard and poor combat system was the end of Witcher 2 for me. I guess people prefer this complexity in fights I surely don't so I moved on. Hopefully Witcher 3 will have a better combat system that appeals to a broader audience. Expand
  42. Oct 12, 2011
    This was an unbelievably sweet game from start to sequel point! I'm one too wait patiantly for good expansion's to arrive! But with downloading the 2.0 patch after already completing; I think now I'm going to do some personal Investigating....
  43. Aug 20, 2011
    Very good game a good story. if a little short however the combat is very good and very challenging though the controls could be tightened up a bit as they can seem a bit unresponsive. Vastly superior to other rpg's out there such as Dragon Age which seems to have stolen its combat system from Runescape.
  44. Aug 24, 2011
    One of the best RPG of all time. Definitely the best looking RPG so far and you can bet that graphics are not the main pinnacle of this game. Replayability, atmosphere, character developement, dialogues and storyline are just top class.
  45. Aug 25, 2011
    Honestly one of the best RPGs i've played in the past 10 years!!! absolutely phenomenal story, pacing, characters, and the graphics are out of this world without hogging your system! i'm playing it with the latest patch (1.35) and haven't encountered any bugs so its solid.:) The first game i actually regret buying on sale cause its worth every penny @ full price! A work of art definitely. Fromt he beginning its a AAA experience. I'm almost near the end and man its epic! Excellent job to the developers!!! Expand
  46. Aug 27, 2011
    Game of the Year! The Witcher 2 has fantastic graphics; gripping characters and true replay value. I cannot measure the amount of satisfaction I've been given by CD Projekt. I hope they continue in the same vain and expand this fantastic World they have created in the much anticipated next expansion/game they release. There are minor issues that have most be resolved by the subsequential patches provided by CD Projekt. The MAIN problem with the Witcher 2 is that it ends... and I hope this is addressed very soon! I strongly recommend this game to anyone out there ready to immerse themselves into a game and find the challenges posed in Assassin of Kings as rewarding as I've found them. Currently I'm on my 3rd play through of this game. Expand
  47. Oct 16, 2011
    No game is flawless. But longtime PC gamers know that some games capture your heart and embed themselves in your memory forever. This is one of those games. A giant wall-of-text post would do no service (seriously Metacritic, you can't implement paragraph breaks ?). Suffice to say that if you want to experience a sophisticated, complex, beautifully realized world with fantastic side stories, voice acting, companions, and intrigue (with heavy allegory on the pitfalls of racism and nationalism), you simply cannot do better than to buy this game. As an additional treat, if you happen to have 3D Vision and a rig to power the Ubersampling option (GTX 580 SLI), then you will be blown away by the visual experience. Since the texture quality, detail, and animation is so fantastic, seeing folks go about their business in the world in 3D lends the game an unbelievably natural look. The downsides are that the game does end just when disparate story elements are finally brought into focus (though even this is marvelously handled) and that it's hard to keep track of all the political players without referring to spoiler-heavy Wiki info. But that cannot even begin to mar the wonderful experience. Expand
  48. Aug 28, 2011
    Wow! That was the first thing I thought when I started my first play through of The Witcher 2. Going from the meh animations and graphics in The Witcher 1 to the breath taking graphics of The Witcher 2 instantly tipped me off to how great this game was going to be to play. I donâ
  49. Aug 29, 2011
    This is an extremely nice game. If you are into a good story and want to think a little bit and enjoy good graphics, this is a game for you. You can see that the guys from Poland still remember what an enjoyable and challenging game should look like.
  50. Aug 31, 2011
    An absolutely fantastic action/rpg. For fans of Bioware games who miss the RPG elements that were stripped away in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. The game has a literary feel because it is based on a book and its characters are absorbing. The graphics are gorgeous and the sound effects perfect. I recommend playing The Witcher first so you are caught up on characters and can see how flawlessly CDProjekt took what made the 1st game great and made it even better. Expand
  51. Sep 25, 2011
    Witcher 2 was a highly anticipated game for me and I was sorely disappointed. The good points are as follows: Amazing graphics, great sounds, immersive game world, wonderful story. However, the bad points make the game unplayable. They are: VERY POOR game play, horrible character controls (movement / interaction) feels very much like the game was designed for consoles first, Combat is just simply awful !!!!!! This game is simply hack and slash. Very much an arcade console type game. Combat feels very much like super Mario brothers. I purchased the game at release and attempted to play for about 2 hours after which I turned it off disgusted. Months later I give it another shot and played through the prolog and into chapter 1 a bit before once again stopping. This time I uninstalled the game. I am so disgusted that I sat down and took the time out of my Sunday to write this so others would not waste their money as well. You will notice a large amount of 10 ratings. All I can say is that this must be the younger generation who were raised on arcade, action style games such as God of War. If you are of the younger generation and prefer quick arcade style, button pushing, jumping around, style combat then go for it. However, if you are the older generation and long for true strategy based RPG combat then donâ Expand
  52. Oct 4, 2011
    A great RPG game that is worth your money. The story is great, it looks amazing and it runs very smooth without any technical issues thanks to the never-ending support from CD Projekt RED.
  53. Oct 9, 2011
    Simply faultless game! In all respects the best game of year! The unique drawing design fighting system the game world! In a word it is excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  54. Oct 11, 2011
    So far my favorite game of 2011, Briliant graphics in a very credible game world. Best feature: the choices you make really do CHANGE the game. Briliant replayability and a long single player campaign. WARNING... Do not buy for your kids... this is a game for adults only.
  55. Oct 14, 2011
    This game has my vote for GoTY (pending Skyrim doesn't steal it).

I played through the campaign twice through and had a very different experience on the second. The themes are adult, the game doesn't hold your hand and tell you where to go, choices are important and combat is intuitive - the games just plays how you want to play it. This is the perfect game for the intelligent gamer.I
    felt like I was creating my very own experience and it was marvelous. Expand
  56. Oct 16, 2011
    The Wticher 2 is simply one of the best rpgs in recent history. You owe it to yourself to at least try this game! Being an independent studio (for the most part) really shows in this day and age of gaming. CD Projekt RED have separated themselves from the (albeit generally slow) pack of RPG developers, creating something heavily story driven, complimented by arguably one of the best fully real time battle system in an RPG, whilst still retaining all of those good ol' rpg elements of quests, crafting, etc... Oh yea, and the graphics aren't half bad either. Expand
  57. Jan 4, 2012
    This game tries to achive DirectX 11 graphics in the DirectX 9 API. There are some very technical D3D9 effects that should have been done in DirectX 11 but they are done in the slower DirectX 9 which is what makes this game more demanding on the graphics adapter than other games with better graphics. If you're rating only the gameplay and story, it is an easy game to pick up and be taken by because of the medival characters and environments. The conversation trees add to how the story is difficult to follow & the quests will be repetative. In conclusion the performance issue and obvious dated DX9 API graphics can be so distracting that it is difficult to follow the typical and predictable gameplay, but it is a very unique rendition about a medival story. Expand
  58. Nov 20, 2011
    Follow suit other game developers/publishers! Releasing games DRM free rather then including intrusive rubbish such as Steamworks or Securom that punish customers is a great way to get people supporting your games and company.
  59. Nov 14, 2011
    This game is closes it gets to prefect score I would ever give!!!! Absolutely stunning graphics, adrenalin rushing fights. Everything in this game is just wonderful. After you finish this game I promise you will want to play again! Games like this make me a proud gamer! Story is deep and good as before! Sound is top notch. Oh did I said it's sexy, funny and bloody? Oh yeah! Now go! You got to have this game! Expand
  60. Nov 14, 2011
    a compeling story with much action and beauty. Graphics are breathtaking and the gameplay the same. amazing fight scenes and fluid controls. With a new arena mode and constant free DLC's what more can you ask for?
  61. Nov 14, 2011
    In my opinion, Witcher 2 is maybe not one of the very best, but for sure one of the best RPGs released in 2011. Great graphics and fantastic story make me proud to be Polish during playing this game ;). After few patches optimalization is great, there are less bugs than in any other role-playing game I've ever played. What's more, CDP added free DLCs them, so all people, not only these, who bought the premium edition, can enjoy full potential of the game. My grade for Assassin's of Kings is 9, because for me, it has less 'slavic climate', than the first Witcher. Expand
  62. Nov 15, 2011
    It was a really good game. But after patch it is perfect. New mode arena is great and it cause that you cannot stop playing it. Story is excellent, there is a lot of fight, everything is well balanced and there is no time for boredom.
  63. Nov 16, 2011
    A simply stunning RPG, the story is brilliant with multiple paths to choose from that have a large effect on the storyline. Voice acting is superb, the characters are very well designed, they have a very realistic feel about their personalities. The graphics are fantastic when turned up to high, the world looks incredible. Great combat system, great level of difficulty. There is around 40 hours of gameplay here to be had on one playthrough, but if you enjoy it as much as i did you will want to play through for the other storylines. Expand
  64. Nov 17, 2011
    This is the game of 2011, and one of the best games ever, only TW1 comes close to this miracle. This game has no flaws, I played it 8 times, and I'm itching for more.
  65. Nov 22, 2011
    O melhor jogo de 2011! Sem dúvida nenhuma uma obra prima, realmente é uma obra de arte, jogabilidade extraordinária, história profunda, gráficos estonteantes, som magnífico e ainda por cima, divertido!!!
  66. Dec 24, 2011
    The best rpg ever made. This game is at least on par with (if not better than) Baldur's Gate2.
    Rather than "dark" it's mature. The plot is thick with twits and turns and choices and characters who act like real people would, rather than the cartoon black and white personalities of most RPG characters.

Give it a try, definitely deserves your money.
  67. Jan 2, 2012
    Just a great RPG!!! CDP RED made epic game. Many people is unhappy because of this how Gerald fights and complain about this. But they should read the book and than check this game. This game is gorgeous because of its story line and this is aim of RPG. In few words excellent storyline, excellent graphic and at least very good gamplay. Number one in this year. Skyrim is a good game but its not enough. Expand
  68. And
    Jan 3, 2012
    I loved it, playing on the highest difficulty the first time (not the no-save one) and learning the game from scratch was an immensely satisfying experience, the combat is fast and fluid and you never feel like you've taken a cheap shot, it's always your own fault when you get wounded and I loved the game even more for it.

As someone who only read one book in the series (the game is based
    on a series of books by a famous Polish writer A. Sapkowski) I was stunned how well portrayed the characters were.
    Story wise it follows a few of the standard western cliches but overall was quite engaging and kept me well entertained all the way through, have to commend them for the fact that they integrated the story so well with the world that no previous knowledge of witcher 1 was required to enjoy it.

In short, an extremely enjoyable game who's only flaw is the inventory system but last I heard there are mods that fix that flaw so I can only recommend this game to anyone that enjoys good RPGs.
  69. Jan 5, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is epic in every sense of the word. The narrative is incredibly well done and one of the best in the industry, the graphics are jaw dropping, and the combat system is a huge improvement from the first. What really amazed me is how big of an impact your choices do make in this game, even more so than the original Witcher and any Bioware game which is usually a good vs evil decision. But in WItcher 2 every choice has a consequence and it will have you second guessing your choices wondering what would have happened if you did choice Y instead of X and Z. It's one of those games you will replay a few times just to see the different outcomes and endings. The visuals are out of this world and I think the best looking game of 2011. In terms of technology BF3 wins but the art style in the Witcher 2 really takes it over the top I think. It's like an oil painting at times and I just want to sit and stare at some of the gorgeous scenary (the rain effects!).

The combat is fast, fluid, and fun, plus it takes a lot of skill to master. This isn't an easy game, however it is a very rewarding game if you put the time to learn it.

If you are a fan of RPG's or just a good story you will enjoy this game I think.
  70. Jan 7, 2012
    This game is a real masterpiece in aspect of Action Rpg genre....Its and Polish fantasy awesomeness with often challenging combat, stunning visuals, some mature nudity scenes, good moral choices, deep skill trees, fun boss battles, interesting characters, surprisingly high replay value, i feel like i can go on forever you should be glad i didn't played the game since July by now or i would be screaming CDProjektRED like a fangirl now, although they are already a real caring and the most non greedy developing team who puts dlc's for free...This game HUMILIATES dragon age 2 and its pathetic attempt at an action RPG... Expand
  71. Jan 13, 2012
    One of the greatest rpg game of all time. Dark fantasy world, very good plot (not telling about saving world but rather about politics). A lot of hard decision to make and each decision impact the world of game. Almost every character is unique and memorable (Iorweth, Roch, Ves, Yarpen etc). Demanding but giving a lot of satisfaction combat system. And last but not least the awesome protagonist - Geralt of Rivia - witcher, lover, killer. A lot of people arguing that "the witcher" is not a really rpg because it doesn't allow to create own hero. I think that with such a deep described character like Getalt it is not necessary, I think that it was be a really hard to create a character that would be fit to witcher game world . Really you create Geralt and the world of game with your every decision. Expand
  72. Jun 10, 2012
    This game has a breath taking scenic beauty to start with. The graphics are pretty good and the gameplay is very cool too. You get totally engrossed in the story of the game after Chapter 1. For me, this is the game of the year!
  73. Jan 24, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is simply a masterpiece it easily beats Skyrim and every other rpg out there if u love rpg's do urself a favor and pick this one up you will not be sorry i assure you!
  74. Feb 21, 2012
    This game is ultimate. Its RPG elements are huge, and your choices really matter. In theory, there are 4 endings, but with all the different options you could take, there are thousands. The graphics are absolutely top of the notch. I play on a laptop, and usually go for Ultra or at least High, which I can run easily. Here, I went with Medium-medium-high, I couldn't run anything higher, yet the graphics were still better than any game I've ever seen. The gameplay and controls take a while to get used to, but once you do, you'll find them very easy and fluent. And the thing I like most - the package it comes with. CDProjektRed weren't skimpy when it came to that. Even the lowest edition I could find comes in a big box, with the game, soundtrack, map, manual, game guide, papercraft figures and a coin and letter thing which are relevant to Act 2 of the story if you went with Vernon Roche and not Iorveth. In short, I love it! Expand
  75. Feb 26, 2012
    Best game of 2011. Combat is meh, but this game isn't about combat. It's about amazing story with moral choices. Usually you can do either bad, or worse choice. Love it.
  76. Feb 27, 2012
    Got it by the case and was set up critical. But totally changed my mind so soon..
    One of the greatest games ever. Same rank as Mass Effect. Enjoyed from beginning to the end and still want to play it again different storyline. Great game.
  77. Mar 21, 2012
    A true modern RPG . Good story telling , allowing player to make choices . Hard , complex but nice combat mechanics . Graphics very nice , sounds ok , More better then all of the RPG titled games in the market now .
    If you like RPG , do not miss this one . If you did not , play The witcher too before starting second one . You will have more fun .
  78. May 16, 2012
    Best game ever, best RPG, best choices and consequences, best story, best graphics, best soundtrack, best voice acting best gameplay....best in every way. What do you want more than that? obviously 10.
  79. May 17, 2012
    When you waiting promises, and after you get even more - a masterpiece is born. The game does not leave any chance to throw it on the back burner, as often happens with good games. Each bit of this creation gives the quality and consistency. From the Start menu to the title. I found no flaws. This game troll's head and shoulders above than any of its competitors. That such should be games today. Such games putting virtual entertainment on the same shelf with traditional entertainment, like a book and movie. This is a masterpiece, no doubt. Bravo CD-Project RED! Expand
  80. May 21, 2012
    It's just an excellent game. Nowadays it's really hard to find such a good storyline in any games. In spite of that the game provides you with a great intuitive combat system, fantastic graphics and animations plus really good cutscenes. Interesting characters, deepth of the story, multiple choices to solve the problems and push the story forward, this is just how it should be done in modern games. It's just a "must have" for all cRPG fans. Expand
  81. May 24, 2012
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played. The story is great, the gameplay is outstanding, and there is quite the replay value. There are some technical issues, especially, when you want to play with gamepad, and the technical support seems to be non existant, but overall it's a must buy for any RPG player.
  82. May 25, 2012
    IMHO, the best 2011 RPG (real RPG) game with an interesting story, unique well thought out world and quite challenging encounters and I like its humour :-). Shame it has not been advertised as much as other games for The Witcher is better than Skyrim (which appeared to be rather boring for me and anyway is not true RPG anymore, but has bigger marketing budjet to pay critics:-))
  83. Dec 13, 2012
    Loved the first witcher, it was a true RPG. This iteration is not an RPG, its a platformer. I hate platformers and hitting all the platformer stages is just annoying.
  84. Aug 4, 2011
    Great Game. The atmosphere is very very good. Minor points are the last chapter that is not on the same level as the first two and also the introduction: a little to difficult because there is not ennough help. Game of the year for now...
  85. Aug 14, 2011
    !! Game of the Year !! Epic story , great gameplay and amazing graphics . It's all you need to say that fresh game can be still created among all those fps. waiting to see the Witcher 3, cause this game is the best what gamer can get into his hands
  86. Jul 9, 2011
    Not as good as the first part IMHO, but still a very good game. Basically I'd like it to be slightly longer and not have certain inconsistencies and sudden jumps of the plot. Love the new fighting system, graphics are awesome, most parts of the game glue you to the screen. There are no more issues with having to fight the drowned dead all the time, which was irritating in the first part (per game mechanics and there constant respawning regardless of yout level, shouldn't they just run away?). Some memorable characters, primarily Roche. On the down side, I really wished that more characters were more develped in this game. Expand
  87. Dec 16, 2011
    What I always try to do when playing a new game is to purposely look for the bad features in the game, this lets me see if they can be overcome by the good features and whether the game will be enjoyable or not. One of the key things that you need to have in any RPG game is a smooth and consistent method of combat. Sadly the combat in The Witcher 2 is extremely clunky, inconsistent, and quite often just downright frustrating. At times you will find that enemies just block attacks over and over again, leading you to resort to 'cheesy' tactics (running around in circles like a headless chicken, planting traps and throwing grenades. Pre-trapping areas against boss monsters with about 50 snare traps on top of each other.) in order to overcome them. Sometimes enemies will just outright kill you without you having any opportunity to retaliate. Then on other occasions you will effortlessly slaughter a group of enemies within the span of 5 seconds. The camera needs serious tweaking, and a Field of View option should be mandatory for any first or third person PC game these days. I like to actually be able to see things considering I'm using a 29" wide screen monitor. I wouldn't mind being able to consume potions without having 1 minute downtime every time I need to apply them. I find it ridiculous that some keys are hard-bound into the games code, so you can't even bind the keys the way YOU want it. Combat aside for a second and the game may have some redeeming features, other RPG's usually win points for ingenuity, story, character development. I just don't see any of that with The Witcher 2. The characters are pretty bland, and don't really make much of a forward movement from the first game in the series. The gameplay hasn't really taken much of a step up, I'd say in ways it's more frustrating than the first one. When I play games it's usually for a challenge at the same time as entertainment. The Witcher 2 tests my patience to the extreme. On an extremely robust computer the load times are agonizing, considering you'll be reloading some points over and over again. The graphics are pretty, but that's only after I watch the textures loading when I turn around quickly. The voice acting is good enough for an RPG, the sound in combat is acceptable, the music works well with the game and the situation (exploration/combat). There is no 'sprint' feature so travel-time can be excruciating during some points of the game. With sub-par combat, long and painful 'buff' periods, and an overall below average immersion level, I give the Witcher 4/10 for just not having the same kind of effect that the prequel did. Expand
  88. Aug 8, 2011
    I really must congratulate CDprojekt they have done an outstanding job. This is definitely the best game I have ever played. The graphics made me spend hours wandering in the forests of Flotsram ( I admit they are so good I actually got lost in the forest), the combat is what all RPGs should have, not the DPS type but actual swordsmanship you strike, you duck or you die. The other aspects of traps, bombs, signs, potions and oils etc are also a welcome addition to the complexity of battle ( I was getting frustrated with the mindless consolized games that are coming out of late with dummed down combat, no need to state names DA2 you know yourselves) And last but not least the story just wraps it all up into one amazing spectacle of brilliance. Expand
  89. Jun 7, 2011
    Great RPG, not as much freedom of customization or discovery as in fallout series or first dragon age, but decent combat system, beautiful graphics, great plot, and simply put one of the best RPGs to come out this year so far.
  90. Jun 11, 2011
    The best RPG I've played in years. It takes a bit of patience to learn the game as there isn't much of a tutorial, but once you understand everything it's a masterpiece. The story is fantastic, the graphics are amazing, even the side-quests are well crafted and will keep you interested.
  91. May 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Witcher is a good game. Beautiful, and something i waited for a long time. since kotor or NwN i havent played rpg that good. but that's all it is. good. there are no games in which we could see something new, something that could surprise us in a good way. witcher is rpg the way it should be, and there's a lot of things i like in it. conversation, graphics, nudity...hehe. i give it six, because this is reality of games today, everything leads to one goal, and that is better graphics, better graphics, better graphics,etc. actually the prime time of rpg-s was long time ago, time of black isle, and time of troika games. this is just another times, modern times, times of making money, and not making games.cheer Expand
  92. Sep 27, 2011
    Great graphics, great story, great game. And no damn day on DLC either like some other game we all know. Hope Witcher 3 will have the same quality and awesomeness.
  93. Olf
    Jun 9, 2011
    Well made game. Game play is very difficult, and choices you make actually make some semblance of a difference....as opposed to Dragon Age 2. I really feel not only was this game an improvement on the original, but a good look at how RPGs of the future should be with high re-playability.
  94. Oct 22, 2011
    One of the best rpg I've played to date, re-playability aplenty free dlc by the handful what more could anyone want?

Amazing art and sound design through character and voice design. The developers obviously set out to earn your money and it shows in every detail, every fiber of the game any fan of rpgs owes it to themselves to get this game.
  95. May 28, 2011
    This game is a little bit below what I expected. After Playing the first game, I had high hopes for the second one. Some of the things I did like about TW2 was the environment that was set up. Everything looked beautiful. Also, the didn't have nearly as many bugs as TW1 did when it first came out. The story line was pretty solid and let me say this; this game feels linear, but play through again making different choices and you probably won't end up with the same conclusion, maybe not even the same story. Now, there are some things that I didn't like about this game. There was barely any tutorial at all. The only help you got was from a little box in the corner of the screen to tell you what to do. They also made the tutorial more difficult than it should have been. I get that this game was meant to be for the hardcore player, but the game gets easier as you go further into the game, which also means the level pacing was bad. Many people have complained about the inventory mechanics and other things, but that didn't bother me too much because it was similar to TW1. The one thing that killed the game though, was the scripting into American English. Talking in the medieval tone and accent is fine, but when you start dropping the f-bombs and other slang that doesn't fit in with the game at all, that is NOT ok. Overall, This game is pretty good. It didn't meet my expectations, But it was still an enjoyable experience. Expand
  96. Aug 10, 2011
    Very good game and worth your money. The story is interestin, characters are very memorable and all in all a very good game. A bit to short but thats about the only negative thing there is to say.
  97. Jun 6, 2011
    A great game, perfect... no. The graphics are beautiful, the story engrossing and you get to see the impact of your decisions. Those choices influence how you play in Act 2 and 3. Very well done.
  98. May 26, 2011
    Alright let me begin by saying that this game is NOT GoTY material, and it's May you jarheads, don't make such assumptions. The combat is more broken than a glass house after a tornado hit it; a tornado filled with golf-balls. then we have the STORY. Is it me, or is this game just a cheap cash in on trying to portray "mature" sex in video games. This game had potential, but it's just nothing.
  99. Aug 8, 2011
    Like other folks have said, it's the best RPG I've played in a very long time. Beautiful, interesting, branching paths are meaningful. There were bugs, but I didn't get any game-stopping ones.
  100. Jul 3, 2011
    As much as I hate saying it the witcher 2 is good in the way of being a work of art than a game. The game almost seems to hate being a game. The gameplay almost feels like padding imbetween the witcher's set pieces and political intrigue. It's extremely difficult even on the normal settings. Some people say that it's difficult in a good way. It makes you use everything at your disposal and to think on the fly in order to succeed. To a point this may be true but this is best in a game that doesn't focus so much on it's story. So getting stuck in this game is like watching an awesome movie and it keeps freezing in the same places so you have to restard the dvd player and hope that you can get past that part in order to get back into the story. The big reason why the game is so difficult is because the game plays like assassin's creed but if the camera didn't pan out to give you a better sense of the battlefield, and if enemies all ganged up on you at once. Again some people like this since it makes more sense for gangs of enemies to actually gang up on you. But again this would be fine if enemies didn't juggle you hulk--style uncontrollably. Allot of these issues are relieved in easy mode (predictably) but the problem still remains. The game looks beutifull. At least that's what I got from trailers and screen shots. If I try to play the game on high settings I'm afraid my pc will suffer a heart attack. To go along with the story the game has a really good atmosphere with peopel acually doing things unlike obvivion where it's like watching a dog doing house hold chores. The game appeals to my liking of game boxes having extra "stuff" in theme. The standard game might as well be a special edition. Along with a sleeve cover to hold it all the box contains the basic game, a neat letter with a short story in it, a walkthrough ( nearly useless with game faqs) the soundtrack , a paper craft figure, and a bonus features disk . If you can get past these big problems then you'll get a game that you will have a good time with but as it stands if you prefer a game that is more pure in how it fits into int's genre you might want to look elsewhere. Expand
  101. Jun 17, 2011
    Just finished the game (on Hard setting). Ok... I wanted to love this game, my hopes were high throughout the prologue but then realized it just wasn't to be. First, the graphics are downright beautiful... more-so static than in motion as the game is plagued by horrid texture pop-in regardless of settings and a high-end gpu, at least for myself and quite a few others. Shrubs and rocks will change size when you are within 5 feet of them - understandable for consoles but not for current gpus. Now... the story... The game is divided into 3 chapters. It is extremely political (more than The Witcher 1) and may be unsatisfying to some people. I found it rather dry, but not horrid. I would have preferred less of the medieval political intrigue and more character development along with a more fantasy/mythological outlook, but I suppose they were trying to keep in context to the books... Now, the combat... I didn't hate it but I didn't like it. I found the first Witcher game to have a more satisfying combat system with the role timing played in it. The Witcher 2 took away the timing as well as the group, fast and strong styles, opting for a simple parry system (which I very very rarely used in the game) and the steel sword/ silver sword combo along with magic. The main problem in my view is the balance. I spent 95% of my time using the same strategy for EVERY enemy, and not because I didn't want to experiment but because everything else took much longer and just didn't work as well. It worked like this - use Quen (guard spell that basically makes you invincible for a few seconds), dodge, attack and kill with sword. You have 3 paths you can take for development - Magic, Swordplay, and Alchemy. I first went for magic, but when realizing how pathetic a fully upgraded fire spell was compared to the sword I lost interest. Now for the alchemy - the game has made this quite a chore in my opinion. You can no longer use potions at anytime. You must use them BEFORE battle. And every time it requires an animation scene that definitely could have been shortened. Because of this I never used potions. Let me reiterate - even on Hard combat requires nothing more than what I mentioned before. Also, for some reason they decided to take away storage. You will be spending a lot of time with too much weight on your hands and will try to decide what you need to keep and throw away/or sell. Some might like this but I didn't not find it enjoyable. Now... the environments. I found them to be beautiful but they felt very limited. The witcher cannot swim. He cannot jump. This isn't open-world. Therefore everything seemed rather linear to me. The environments are nice but not nice enough to prevent you from getting tired of them after doing more than a few quests through them - my main gripe of the first witcher. There isn't much interaction with the environment other than lighting and unlighting fires. The NPCs say the same things constantly regardless of time of day often, and as the chapters progress they seem to say less and less. The diffictultiy... starts off pretty difficult on hard but by the 2nd chapter is pretty easy. I found the ending to be quite unsatisfactory as well, but I won't spoil anything. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011