8.4

1. Dec 27, 2014
    Probably the best game I've ever played

Pros
    **** ****
    +Fight Monsters
    +Get Money
    +Drink Beer

Cons
    -Too pretty
    -Too good

10/10 would reccomend
  2. Nov 30, 2014
    Awesome game. I was able to really get in and feel like the witcher, which was great. I had my own motivations that were very separate from the motivations of those around me, but the game never forced me to go along and really commit to a faction. Yes, I had to pick a side, but even after I picked that side they didn't much like me and I didn't much like them, we just needed each otherAwesome game. I was able to really get in and feel like the witcher, which was great. I had my own motivations that were very separate from the motivations of those around me, but the game never forced me to go along and really commit to a faction. Yes, I had to pick a side, but even after I picked that side they didn't much like me and I didn't much like them, we just needed each other for a brief time. The fact that a video game could carry that type of tension this well was incredible.
    The story unfolds gradually and each reveal feels important, interesting, and distinct. I never felt hurried by the plot, and the side quests all felt like something my Geralt would do. Combat is difficult without feeling like the game is cheating, which is important to me for game play. Some games you lose a fight and you say "oh comon, there's nothing I could have done about that" but in this game, every time I died I swore a few times and tried again because I knew it was my fault, not the game's, that I had died.
    I could hardly ask for a better game experience. The only reason I don't think it was perfect is because the combat, while difficult in all the right ways, did eventually feel repetitive. I kept taking the same potions every time, doing the same dodges, and firing off the same spell, or sign. Even though there are a lot of different possibilities, I played on the hardest difficulty and it felt like there was only ever one combination of things that gave me the best chance. It was still exciting and difficult to pull off, and the game didn't drag on so long that I felt completely bored by that combat, but it was repetitive nonetheless.

Overall an excellent game, and I will likely play through again to make some decisions differently than I did the first time. I may turn down the difficulty to save time though!
  3. Nov 25, 2014
    I loved TW1. So I got this game as soon as it came out. I beat it and enjoyed every minute of the process. Its beautiful. As soon as I learned The Witcher 3 is in the works I picked it up and beat it again. This time I made all the opposite choices. Thats right! Silly me. My first game ended with me saving Triss over the king's kids with the help of Roach. I never explored all the otherI loved TW1. So I got this game as soon as it came out. I beat it and enjoyed every minute of the process. Its beautiful. As soon as I learned The Witcher 3 is in the works I picked it up and beat it again. This time I made all the opposite choices. Thats right! Silly me. My first game ended with me saving Triss over the king's kids with the help of Roach. I never explored all the other choices. My second play-through I was a freedom fighter with Iorveth who helped the non-humans carve out a kingdom. Its amazing how I could start in the same place. Make completely reasonable choices and end with such a different experience. The whole second act of the game was completely different.
    This game is mature. The characters are complex. The plot is mature. Unlike so many games where there is the clearly good option and the clearly evil option, in this game you try to do good but the choices are hard. Do you let innocent people burn to death, or do you let a bad guy get away without punishment? Choices like that.
    I do have 2 criticisms. Combat is a little hit or miss. Like the real world when the bad guys gang up on you, you are going to take a beating. Also the game is too short. Both these things were partially resolved by the FREE RELEASE of the Enhanced Edition.
    I can't wait for The Witcher 3 to come out.
  4. Nov 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Played on PC. Loved all the great NPCs and storyline. Some minor issues like not being able to craft an armor from the Mist boss since chapter ended before I could do anything. I liked original Witcher a bit better, but the extra choices were a welcome addition for any gripes I had with minor things.

All-in-all the game ran very well for me, UI very good. Gerald is a regular bad-ass. W3 here I come.
  5. Nov 12, 2014
    The Witcher 1 was a perfect RPG experience in my eyes and in retrospect I would rank it among the very best in the genre. The Witcher 2 changes quite a lot of things, some of them for better, others for worse, but despite some problems, it's still a fantastic RPG ride and a worthy successor.

The story is still top notch, maybe little too much politics for my taste, it can be hard to follow all the kingdoms, their situation, kings, intentions etc., but it makes it feel more grandiose in scope. The game itself however is quite a bit shorter than the first one, only 3 chapters and the last chapter went by really fast, but if you do everything, it's still about 30 hours, which is good enough.

The visuals are beautiful, I loved all 3 locations and their environments, some of the locations were just breathtaking, but the overall art direction seems to be pushed into more punch in the face aesthetic, so the colors are often way too over saturated to my taste. I preferred more subtle style of the first Witcher.

The biggest change is the controls and combat. I love the fact you can grip the controller and feel your character, move around, the combat is also much more fluid and it feels tight, that's a good change, but what is not so good is the UI, the inventory management, all the additional menus, it suffered from the overall console controllers interface, it needs some serious getting used to and I really hope this will be improved in TW3.

Another disappointment is the alchemy, one of my favourite things to do in TW1. gathering herbs, mixing potions and effectively use them in battle. Here, you cannot drink once the combat starts, but before that in preparation. You would need to be a seer visionary to know when you are going to need it, this basically ruined the effective use and I just ignored the alchemy completely, focusing solely on the sword techniques.

The biggest problem of TW2 imo is it's linearity and non-open world corridor style world design. Especially now when you can control Geralt with such fluidity it's really immersion breaking to encounter all those invisible walls and barriers, it feels very restricting, you can't even jump over the obstacles, it just lacks the freedom of many other more open world RPGs, but that's exactly the issue that the new Witcher 3 should address.

There are some other minor bugs, I had few crashes during my playthrough, there are many audio balance issues, voice overs too loud or too quiet every once in a while, and they somehow managed to ruin the dice poker mini-game which is not nearly as good as in the first game, but nothing that can destroy your RPG experience.

And what an experience it is, captivating story, interesting characters, well-written quests, in the first half of the game pretty challenging battles that force you to use all your resources to win and important decisions that have a strong impact on the actual world around you and the last but not least - fantastic soundtrack again. All the things I loved about the first Witcher and reasons why I love The Witcher series so much. I'm looking forward to the new open world TW3 that's looking amazing so far and hopefully is going to improve all the shortcomings of TW2 to create the ultimate masterpiece and finish this amazing trilogy. 9/10
  6. Oct 26, 2014
    The top game of its year (although not recognized as such due to heavy lobbying for the blockbusters), it refreshed the formula used in The Witcher 1, solves a couple of its problems (including the combat system) and brings the graphics to the limit. Beautifully made, with an at times dark story, The Witcher 2, especially with the free updates of it (and the Extended Edition patch inThe top game of its year (although not recognized as such due to heavy lobbying for the blockbusters), it refreshed the formula used in The Witcher 1, solves a couple of its problems (including the combat system) and brings the graphics to the limit. Beautifully made, with an at times dark story, The Witcher 2, especially with the free updates of it (and the Extended Edition patch in special) still remains an sight to behold. Yes, by now some graphical errors become more obvious. But The Witcher 2 remains one of the best RPGs ever made, and with The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt upcoming which promises to be even better, the series will likely remain an shining example of good RPGs. Expand
  7. Sep 27, 2014
    One of the best rpg's of 2011 if not the best game is visually stunning and challenging combat especially on dark mode edrea queen 1 shotted me without quen love this game so much
  8. Sep 21, 2014
    One of the best games- and the best rpg I have ever played. Graphics and the atmosphere are superb, but what really makes this game outstanding is it's character- and storywriting. It's story is very complex, but if you spent some time trying to understand it you will be rewarded with a intelligent written story full of memorable moments, twists and political issues. The combat is decentOne of the best games- and the best rpg I have ever played. Graphics and the atmosphere are superb, but what really makes this game outstanding is it's character- and storywriting. It's story is very complex, but if you spent some time trying to understand it you will be rewarded with a intelligent written story full of memorable moments, twists and political issues. The combat is decent but compared to other aspects not outstanding. But still- this game deserves a 10/10. I play rpg's since 15 years and Witcher 2 managed to became my new #1 Expand
  9. Sep 20, 2014
    One of the best RPG's I've played, a game that forces you to make meaningful choices that have a huge effect on the game. Combat took a bit of getting used to since I started just going in button mashing and ending up dead. had to sit back think about all the tools in my arsenal and play with a bit of thought. Tracking an elite hunt? Set some traps and ambush it. Use your abilities, signsOne of the best RPG's I've played, a game that forces you to make meaningful choices that have a huge effect on the game. Combat took a bit of getting used to since I started just going in button mashing and ending up dead. had to sit back think about all the tools in my arsenal and play with a bit of thought. Tracking an elite hunt? Set some traps and ambush it. Use your abilities, signs and weapons

It is great I would recommend it to anyone, and it still looks beautiful even today.
  10. Aug 19, 2014
    This is a MUST if you enjoy games with a solid story and incredible combat mechanics. Very few bugs compared to your usual RPG. Sound and graphics are top notch. Only game better than this is Fallout 3, which are unrealistic standards...
  11. Aug 12, 2014
    The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings.. The perfect combination into the tematics of the first game and a great gameplay. Not the best but is higher than The Witcher 1. Amazing game.
  12. Aug 3, 2014
    This game is beautiful. Holy crap, just beautiful. Gives me feels. Original Witcher was sublime and this follows suit. Some linearity doesn't stop it from being immersive and feeling like a real goddamn world. 9.7/10.
  13. Jul 14, 2014
    I had a great time playing The Witcher 2. The quality of this title exceeded my expectations. And while I can not recommend this game for younger players due to the mature content, I would definitely recommend it for older players, particularly if you are a fan of The original Conan comics, as I feel there are a lot of similarities in the way these works are played out. The gameI had a great time playing The Witcher 2. The quality of this title exceeded my expectations. And while I can not recommend this game for younger players due to the mature content, I would definitely recommend it for older players, particularly if you are a fan of The original Conan comics, as I feel there are a lot of similarities in the way these works are played out. The game features Elves, Dwarves, and humans, along with plenty of monsters, and magic. The story is very complex, and the characters are all richly developed. Most importantly, there is a combat system that is both challenging, and entertaining. The voice work is top notch, and the graphics and music are triple A quality. I have to say that this game takes the crown as my favorite role playing game since the Mass Effect games. Expand
  14. Jul 7, 2014
    Out of my limited selection, this is my favorite RPG game. It plays very similar to Skyrim - but comes out slightly ahead. While Skyrim has a better combat system and more content, The Witcher 2 gives you a much more meaningful story combined with colorful graphics, beautiful cities and good cinematics.
    For those who couldn't handle the p.o.s controls in TW1, The Witcher 2 gives a great recap of the previous title.
  15. Jul 5, 2014
    This game was incredibly captivating that I had to close it and immediately obtain Witcher 1 and study the witcher lore before I dared approach it.

Then, when I did, I enjoyed every minute of it. Gameplay and dialogues, the darkness of the world, the books and the mysteries involved. This game sets precedent for the future of this genre.
  16. Jul 3, 2014
    This is a great, great game in a great, great series. It's hand's down the only modern series that can stand toe to toe with classic RPG's of Infinity engine.
  17. Jun 26, 2014
    Look this is just a STUNNING game. I don't know why I didn't find it earlier. Its an amazing example of what an RPG can be. And it really puts the open world games like Skyrim in their place. Sure, its nice to be able to walk everywhere and do anything - but The Witcher 2, shows us what you are Missing. Amazing environments, and REAL storytelling.

Character Development, with a million

Character Development, with a million different characters its one face fitting into many. You are Geralt - not only do you LOOK better, you have an amazing back story.

Gameplay - It takes some getting used to, but the slow down time quick keys etc, are awesome. Special take downs, magic. Just so good.

Story - Did I mention the storytelling? Its just so superior to a bunch of fetch and kill quests - of course they are in there, thats all RPG'ing IS afterall. But you really feel you are part of the Story. Some of the environments, like sieges and battles are awesome.

In short - Witcher 2, one of the best games I have ever played. After completion I Immediately wanted to do again. There are actual divergent storylines and quests.

Its HARD to play, Medium difficulty, I just can't kill some of the bosses. Takes real skill. Great game. (there is always easy :P)
  18. Jun 13, 2014
    an awesome story driven RPG with great character development which makes us wanna love the characters. every action we take has a consequence. the gameplay is effective with and an enhanced difficulty which makes us want to prepare beforehand .the crafting system is also equally good and the visuals is mesmerizing .
  19. May 31, 2014
    An EPIC journey !
    Gameplay, graphics and story all are on equal level of epicness.
    An EPIC journey !
    Gameplay, graphics and story all are on equal level of epicness.
    It's no shame to say that Witcher 2 is the GREATEST RPG game created so far. This is not a game, it is an epic adventure to live through. I am proud to be Polish because Polish people created the Witcher. Zero major flaws, great replay value (no kidding, middle of the game is entirely diffrent depending on your choices) FREE DLCs for everyone (take notes EA games!). The only flaws are very minor problems with some locations and quests, but these are kinda unavoidable because of the project scale and present in every big RPG that came out in recent years.
    The only flaw is the combat which looks a bit ridiculous at times, and the fact that the game's world isn't really that open.
    If you don't own it yet, you are seriously missing out on a great adventure.
  20. May 26, 2014
    Im fan of first person shooters and i dont like games like this, BUT Witcher 2 is amazing, i cant stop playing! Lot of quests, interesting story (very good storytelling) , beautiful graphic and good fight system. For example how good this game is, I play 10 hours consistently on first launch.
  21. May 20, 2014
    Cons:
    -Plays way better in a controller vs playing it with mouse + keyboard.
    -Needs more naked women! XD -Resource demanding (con if you play it on low end computer). Pros: -Excellent story. -Excellently written characters, they all feel obscenely real. -Awesome decision system and the way those decisions determine the events of the game. -Great replayability, since a decision
    Cons:
    -Plays way better in a controller vs playing it with mouse + keyboard.
    -Needs more naked women! XD
    -Resource demanding (con if you play it on low end computer).

Pros:
    -Excellent story.
    -Excellently written characters, they all feel obscenely real.
    -Great replayability, since a decision you make at the end of Chapter 1, will give you different Chapters 2 & 3.
    -The morale of the game rejects black and white perspectives, giving it a more realistic feel.
    -DRM free.
    -In game porn.
    -Minigames like dice poker are fun.
    -Amazing music.
    -Amazing visuals.
    -Talent trees allow you to customize your game play in 3 different ways.
  22. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is CDK Projekt Red's masterpiece, it truly deserves all the praise it has gotten, and I haven't found myself more immersed in the story of any other RPG. What The Witcher 2 completely nails is giving you the feeling that your character is extremely important, as here you will literally be deciding the fates of entire kingdoms, and it is interesting how a sense of scale existsThis game is CDK Projekt Red's masterpiece, it truly deserves all the praise it has gotten, and I haven't found myself more immersed in the story of any other RPG. What The Witcher 2 completely nails is giving you the feeling that your character is extremely important, as here you will literally be deciding the fates of entire kingdoms, and it is interesting how a sense of scale exists without the game being truly open-world, and how your decisions as small as they seem can result in great or very grim consequences to you or somebody else. I love the story and the aspects that reinforce it, and the characters are great, Geralt himself is a complete badass and still has the charisma that a video game hero needs in a big story, and some interactions can be extremely amusing indeed. Moving on from the story, the graphics are incredible, it is one of the best looking games I have played to date, you don't even need them maxed out for the game to look amazing, and the lighting also does a great job. The sound is also great, the soundtrack is one of the best I have heard in a while, and I have no complaints about the sound effects themselves. The gameplay is interesting, given that it does have an extra layer of depth despite what is rather few combinations and possibilities when it comes to combat itself, I do wish for more variety, however I was content with what was presented. When you're not in combat you're in dialogue or possibly exploring a place. Quests and side quests are well balanced and interesting, they never feel like a drag and can lead to some interesting outcomes that only reinforce the story and setting. I do wish for better collision detection however, since I have encountered problems with that. And I also had a few problems with the difficulty curve at the beginning of the game, but that evened out later. Overall this is a must buy, this game is an experience you won't get anywhere else, I can guarantee that. Expand
  23. Apr 8, 2014
    I absolutely dejected the game after playing it for initial few hours probably because it was my first RPG experience. Eventually had to play the game because i had no other game left in my game library.
    And I'll accept that I totally enjoyed it. The story and its complexity leaves you spell bound. Every character has been so intricately designed and their voice acting is perfect. The more you explore the more it amazes you.
    Most game of this era have realistic graphics and it is no exception.
    So finally all those gamers like me who don't have much experience of the RPGs do try this game for sure.
    The only flaw in this game is its combat system which makes it pretty hard to kill multiple enemies.
  24. Apr 4, 2014
    My long written review just vanished in a server error, so I'll make it short.

This game does everything right. Story - deep and thought provoking Combat - engaging, fun and versatile Characters - believable and interesting World - beautiful, atmospheric and detailed Skill system - balanced and varied In my opinion easily the best game in years and on par with great RPGs such as
    My long written review just vanished in a server error, so I'll make it short.

This game does everything right.
    Story - deep and thought provoking
    Combat - engaging, fun and versatile
    Characters - believable and interesting
    World - beautiful, atmospheric and detailed
    Skill system - balanced and varied

In my opinion easily the best game in years and on par with great RPGs such as Gothic and Morrowind.
    With this game on hand I have great expectations for (and of) CD Project Red and their upcoming titles.
  25. Mar 20, 2014
    Best gaming experience of my life.
    Poor default controls especially for signs and unable to change them without exit.
    Game like this deserves some farming for items... Gauntlets,boots and trousers...you can play the entire game without changing them(there is no point exept for insane difficulty). You can buy amazing armor and swords from vendors(the diagram crafting concept is wasted)
    Best gaming experience of my life.
    Game like this deserves some farming for items...
    Signs can use tooltips describing their effect, duration, damage etc.
  26. Mar 16, 2014
    One of the greatest games ever made, every thing about this game is excellent. The attention to detail that CD Projekt had during this project is obvious. It is one of the best looking games around, and the gameplay is surprisingly great (considering that sword-based combat games usually lack in that department), the story is fantastic and wonderfully voice acted. This is one of the bestOne of the greatest games ever made, every thing about this game is excellent. The attention to detail that CD Projekt had during this project is obvious. It is one of the best looking games around, and the gameplay is surprisingly great (considering that sword-based combat games usually lack in that department), the story is fantastic and wonderfully voice acted. This is one of the best games ever made. 10/10! Expand
  27. Mar 11, 2014
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings has the best plot which I have ever experience in game. It is based on Polish books series by Andrzej Sapkowski, named The Witcher. In this game we can admire phenomenal graphics, in my opinion it is better than any other RPG. The amazing soundtrack fits the game setting. Gameplay is perfectly pleasant. The game has highly expended upgrade system. TheThe Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings has the best plot which I have ever experience in game. It is based on Polish books series by Andrzej Sapkowski, named The Witcher. In this game we can admire phenomenal graphics, in my opinion it is better than any other RPG. The amazing soundtrack fits the game setting. Gameplay is perfectly pleasant. The game has highly expended upgrade system. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is incredibly excellent. I definitely recommend this unbelievable game. Expand
  28. Feb 24, 2014
    The Witcher 2 has a great story with decisions that really matter and that gives it a very high replay value, which is rare these days. The characters, music and surroundings are fantastic. There's a lot to do and discover. They also worked on the fighting mechanics and menus compared to the first game, which are still not perfect, but better (movements are too console-ish, no strafingThe Witcher 2 has a great story with decisions that really matter and that gives it a very high replay value, which is rare these days. The characters, music and surroundings are fantastic. There's a lot to do and discover. They also worked on the fighting mechanics and menus compared to the first game, which are still not perfect, but better (movements are too console-ish, no strafing etc.). The leveling/skill system has bonuses that can be aquired in many different ways and there's always something to do.

The graphics are also very good, but the engine seems to lack optimization and could perform better at times.
    Potions are pretty useless, because you can't drink them during battles and you can't always tell when a difficult fight is coming up. The boss fights are seriously tough compared to most other games, but once you get the hang of it it's all manageable.

Overall, The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs I've played and I'm very much looking forward to The Witcher 3.
  29. Feb 24, 2014
    The Witcher 2 is one of very few games I'd give a 10/10. It improves on its predecessor dramatically, while retaining what was good about it. Combat system is incredibly versatile. It's literally the only RPG I've played where I didn't just prefer and concentrate on one aspect of the combat (such as physical sword/shield or Magic). No, in this game I used regular sword combat, potions,The Witcher 2 is one of very few games I'd give a 10/10. It improves on its predecessor dramatically, while retaining what was good about it. Combat system is incredibly versatile. It's literally the only RPG I've played where I didn't just prefer and concentrate on one aspect of the combat (such as physical sword/shield or Magic). No, in this game I used regular sword combat, potions, bombs, traps, AND signs. Some battles were tough enough that you had to get creative and think beforehand, which is awesome and exactly how a strategic RPG should play out. I heard that some people complained about the steep learning curve. While I didn't personally have a problem with it playing on dark difficulty, that's perhaps because I was introduced to the series with The Witcher. I've played TW2 both with a m/k setup, and with a controller. As a rule for all but RTS games, I usually prefer a controller, but this game plays well either way. Graphics are gorgeous, though a few lighting elements are slightly annoying.

Where this game really shines is the mature story and character relationships/personas. Choices actually matter and have great impact (I mean, the game completely diverges for a third of the game based on one choice).

Overall, a fantastic game for anyone who loves story-driven RPGs.
  30. Feb 19, 2014
    This has the best cinematic graphics I have ever witnessed! It's a shame that an i7 can't handle the game properly even in low specs, but after playing a few arena games just to try it out, the combat system improved A LOT from the first Witcher to now, and the attacks are more juicy.

Although I didn't experience the story, I strongly recommend the game.

1. Oct 21, 2011