User Score
8.5

Generally favorable reviews- based on 4596 Ratings

User score distribution:
Buy On

Review this game

  1. Your Score
    0 out of 10
    Rate this:
    • 10
    • 9
    • 8
    • 7
    • 6
    • 5
    • 4
    • 3
    • 2
    • 1
    • 0
    • 0
  1. Submit
  2. Check Spelling
  1. Jan 16, 2018
    9
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, however unpolished and irritating it can be at times, is a gorgeous fantasy journey that impressively reflects the moral complexity of men.
  2. Jan 13, 2018
    9
    A ride like no other. The Witcher 2 offers a story that contains as much depth as the player wants. Every moment has a purpose and the pacing is always fluent and addicting. Found myself lost for hours in discovering the past of Geralt and exploring the world he inhabits. So many characters to interact with, each feeling unique and hand picked by the developers. Graphically the game is topA ride like no other. The Witcher 2 offers a story that contains as much depth as the player wants. Every moment has a purpose and the pacing is always fluent and addicting. Found myself lost for hours in discovering the past of Geralt and exploring the world he inhabits. So many characters to interact with, each feeling unique and hand picked by the developers. Graphically the game is top notch, though it could be stiff at times. Linear in travel without any 'fast travel' feature can be annoying, especially because of the environmental pop ins that take away some of the immersion. This is NOT a casual game, it takes effort from the player to want to know about it and its secrets to really capture what the developers wanted to express. Be prepared to listen a lot throughout your adventure, these npc have plenty to say. If you are not in the mood, it could be a drag at times. I liked to just focus on the main story and ignore the side missions. 20 hours in and I am still having a blast.

    RECOMMEND.
    Expand
  3. Nov 30, 2017
    8
    This game is so much better than the first game, Like in previous game story, characters and soundtrack are very good, but this time plot has alternative version of itself. Side Quest are good this time, but combat system is....wow, it isn't the best combat system i have ever seen, but definitely is the best system in trilogy.....yes i prefer battles in "Assassins of Kings" than in "WildThis game is so much better than the first game, Like in previous game story, characters and soundtrack are very good, but this time plot has alternative version of itself. Side Quest are good this time, but combat system is....wow, it isn't the best combat system i have ever seen, but definitely is the best system in trilogy.....yes i prefer battles in "Assassins of Kings" than in "Wild Hunt". It's very good game, and I recommended it to everyone. Expand
  4. Nov 14, 2017
    8
    ENG
    With this part I met Geralt of Rivia. For me, this game made a huge impression and I instantly liked the game and characters previously unknown to me, since the original source was not familiar. 2011 it was a breakthrough in terms of graphics, it was juicy, rich, was added to the filter color that is rarely seen in games, though sometimes very cut and beat the eyes, too overexposed
    ENG
    With this part I met Geralt of Rivia. For me, this game made a huge impression and I instantly liked the game and characters previously unknown to me, since the original source was not familiar. 2011 it was a breakthrough in terms of graphics, it was juicy, rich, was added to the filter color that is rarely seen in games, though sometimes very cut and beat the eyes, too overexposed picture. Good music, colorful and most importantly memorable characters, some branches passing over different sides of the conflict, so that the first passage all the picture to see fail. Interesting and intricate plot, in this part, has been completely put on the policy. Disclosure of certain events from the first part, more information about "the wild hunt(gun)". And perhaps the coolest part, which provides us with not only old friends, but true friends, companions and our second half (so to speak). Exciting journey, an intriguing story, sincere characters, good jokes and funny situations and that's not all that awaits the one who will hit the road in search of the Assasins of Kings.
    RU
    Именно с этой части я и познакомился с Геральтом из Ривии. Для меня это игра произвела огромное впечатления, и я сразу проникся как самой игрой так и персонажами, ранее незнакомые мне, так как с первоисточником был не знаком. На момент 2011 это был прорыв в плане графики, она была сочной, насыщенной, были добавлены фильтры цветовые, что редко встретишь в играх, хоть местами и очень резало и било по глазам, слишком засвеченная картинка. Неплохая музыка, колоритные и главное запоминающиеся персонажи, несколько веток прохождения, за разные стороны конфликта, так, что с первым прохождением все картину увидеть не получится. Интересный и запутанный сюжет, в этой части, полностью положен на политический курс. Раскрытия некоторых событий из первой части, больше информации о "дикой охоте(гоне)". И пожалуй самая классная часть, которая предоставляет нам не только старых знакомых, но и верных друзей, спутников и нашу вторую половину (если можно так сказать). Увлекательно путешествие, интригующие повествование, душевные персонажи, годные шутки и забавные ситуации и это еще далеко не все, что ждет того кто отправится в путь, на поиски Убийцы Королей.
    Expand
  5. Sep 29, 2017
    8
    This is a very solid RPG! I recently finished this one (after finished its prequel a few years before). Despite being a somewhat old game, it does not feel outdated at all ,especially in comparison to many games in this genre. The story will keep you engaged and not too linear. You can definitely play this game multiple times. The combat system and some game's mechanics might be a bit hardThis is a very solid RPG! I recently finished this one (after finished its prequel a few years before). Despite being a somewhat old game, it does not feel outdated at all ,especially in comparison to many games in this genre. The story will keep you engaged and not too linear. You can definitely play this game multiple times. The combat system and some game's mechanics might be a bit hard to get into, so you need a bit of learning before you can really enjoy the game. The loot system is a bit underwhelming in my opinion. I know there are tons of loots, but I kind of expect more types of loots and deeper crafting system; maybe I am too spoiled. Please also note that this is not an open world game, so you may feel that its maps are a bit small. By the way, you are free to explore most part of the map though. Overall, this is a very solid game that young adults and above who love RPG will enjoy. Expand
  6. Aug 29, 2017
    10
    Right after i finished number 1, i started with the second witcher game. And I can safely say I am pleased with this game. This game has the perefct balance between story, gameplay, and game lenght. There's quite a bit of dialog, but if you dont like it, you can just skip the talking.

    This is a rpg game for adults. There's politics, ethical problems, and a bunch of hard choises to make.
    Right after i finished number 1, i started with the second witcher game. And I can safely say I am pleased with this game. This game has the perefct balance between story, gameplay, and game lenght. There's quite a bit of dialog, but if you dont like it, you can just skip the talking.

    This is a rpg game for adults. There's politics, ethical problems, and a bunch of hard choises to make. I spent about 35 hours, and I did almost everything the game has to offer. There's an arena mode wich does not have anything to do with the story of the game, where you fight against increasingly hard waves of enemies, wich game me an hour of enjoyment, but you can play it for quite a bit.

    In summary, this is one of the best games I have played. The story is amazing, and i was caught in the situations of the game at all times. I was suprised when the game was finished, since I didn't feel time flowing. The gameplay is an HUGE upgrade from the last one, and skill is a bigger factor than stats. The lore and immersion is fantastisc, i actually went through all the books i found. It altso looks amazing, still, in 2016.

    This one is among the best games I have played, and it deserves a 10/10. Now, I'm starting the third, and probably the last game in the series. Va'fail!
    Expand
  7. Apr 11, 2017
    10
    Talk about the animations, lvl design, voice acting, combat, crafting, missions, music, and the story oh boy so amazing not only in the main missions but also side quests has amazing stories to em.

    I am totally blown away in every possible way. I finished the game to 100%. Did not leave a single quest unfinished in the game.
  8. Mar 4, 2017
    10
    It's not that good as the first one but it's still a great game.
    It's maybe too short.
    The best character is Iorweth, I really miss him in third game.
    The story is good because of Letho.
  9. Jan 10, 2017
    10
    Hands down one of the best, most challenging RPGs I've ever played. Captivating story, engaging characters, gray choices; this game intended for thinking adults has it all.
  10. Dec 30, 2016
    9
    Est juego mejora bastante el sistema de lucha y a pesar de que achica el arbol de habilidades a la hora de subir de nivel, no lo simplifica, pues tiene gran cantidad de contenido para armar a tu brujo como mas te guste.
    Es un gran juego en todos los aspectos, y si hay una razon por la cual no le doy un 10, es porque pide demasiada placa de video, es cierto que tiene una calidad grafica
    Est juego mejora bastante el sistema de lucha y a pesar de que achica el arbol de habilidades a la hora de subir de nivel, no lo simplifica, pues tiene gran cantidad de contenido para armar a tu brujo como mas te guste.
    Es un gran juego en todos los aspectos, y si hay una razon por la cual no le doy un 10, es porque pide demasiada placa de video, es cierto que tiene una calidad grafica muy destacable, pero estoy seguro de que pide mas placa de video de la que en verdad necesita.
    Expand
  11. Dec 23, 2016
    9
    Still a great game almost 6 years later. Has its age and limitations, but in the atmosphere, storyline, character design and things like that, it is unmatched, even by Witcher 3 that did many great things but many strange things too. Witcher 2 is more consistent and polished. Definitely one of those games I will always remember and come back to them once per few years with a smile on face.
  12. Dec 21, 2016
    10
    Key: 1 = Poor, 3 = Average, 5 = Great

    Graphics 5
    Audio 5
    Characters 5
    Story 5
    Controls 5
    Intuitiveness 5

    One of the best stories I've experienced and I fell in love with the characters.
  13. Dec 14, 2016
    9
    PRO:-Great combat even though e little bit stiff
    -Great voice acting
    -Amazing characters
    -Replay value
    -Great story
    -Amazing graphics for the time
    -Good soundtrack
    CON:-Like i said a little bit stiff and i dont like that
    -Not really good end boss battle its not easy but just the same tactic you use for the previous boss
    -Fairly short for an RPG
  14. Oct 5, 2016
    9
    One of the few games that I instantly played a second time, just because the second playthrough will feel completely different depending on your decisions. The graphics are amazing, the atmosphere in the forest of chapter one is amazing, probably the best forest I ever saw in a video game.
  15. Jul 11, 2016
    9
    A really cool fantasy rpg game with great mechanics and interesting story.

    This is a really well put together CRPG where you control Geralt of Rivia - the Witcher. Unlike the first instalment which I just couldn't bear this one both looks and plays great. The combat system is really good - a bit of dexterity and strategy is required to perform. The combination is just right. You need
    A really cool fantasy rpg game with great mechanics and interesting story.

    This is a really well put together CRPG where you control Geralt of Rivia - the Witcher. Unlike the first instalment which I just couldn't bear this one both looks and plays great.

    The combat system is really good - a bit of dexterity and strategy is required to perform. The combination is just right. You need to keep in mind which sword you use - iron for humans and silver for monsters. The signs in certain situation prove a great help while in others are pretty useless. The use of potions also adds to the strategy level of the combat. It's not just mouse clicker - where you select enemy and click constantly. You need to dodge, use throwables and time your attacks just right. This is probably the best part of the game.

    The story is really good and makes you care about the choices you do make. I'm not a fan though of the Sapkowski world entirely - some dialogues do break the character of the setting and make you remember this is a game (i.e. when elf says "Piece of lembass" and shrugs it when asked for details). This is not the game developers fault but the witcher author and it is just something that doesn't feel right for me - other people might and probably have different opinion.

    Voice acting is well done, although a bit too vulgar in my opinion - but again that is witcher's novels trademark so I can't blame game developers for it.

    The levelling up system does provide quite a few options. Shame the game does not have enough content to upgrade everything. But that makes for interesting choices.

    Overall really did enjoy the game and it's story. Would without problem recommend this title to any cRPG enthusiast.
    Expand
  16. Jul 10, 2016
    10
    Che gioco fantastico. Storia meravigliosa, che spinge a rigiocare il titolo almeno una volta. Ambientazione cupa e cruda, colonna sonora spettacolare. Gameplay con qualche difetto (alcune boss battle, da giocare essenzialmente rollando come pazzi), ma per il resto soddisfacente. Voice acting FAVOLOSO.
  17. Jun 16, 2016
    9
    The Witcher 2 is a fantastic sequel to the first game and an overall great RPG.

    This game has one of the most interesting stories I've seen. It will make question your own motives both as a player and as a person when confronted with the difficult choices the game presents you. The combat system has been completely remodelled resulting in more interesting and harder sword fights.
    The Witcher 2 is a fantastic sequel to the first game and an overall great RPG.

    This game has one of the most interesting stories I've seen. It will make question your own motives both as a player and as a person when confronted with the difficult choices the game presents you.

    The combat system has been completely remodelled resulting in more interesting and harder sword fights.

    It has its flaws though, some rare glitches and the not so rare crash.

    In spite of its minor issues I highly recommend any RPG fan to give The Witcher series a try :).
    Expand
  18. Jun 15, 2016
    8
    The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is amazing videogame with interesting story, good graphics (too light) and excellent training, but in this game many minus eg very light graphics which the cuts eyes or many cutscenes, but pluses in this game much too eg amazing storyline, awesome subjects, excellent training, gameplay is much fun, but Witcher III is better than The Witcher II and I notThe Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is amazing videogame with interesting story, good graphics (too light) and excellent training, but in this game many minus eg very light graphics which the cuts eyes or many cutscenes, but pluses in this game much too eg amazing storyline, awesome subjects, excellent training, gameplay is much fun, but Witcher III is better than The Witcher II and I not really like Witcher and in this series I really like Witcher III, but I not really like Witcher II and I played in Witcher 2 and 3, but I don't played first Witcher . Wicher II is good game . Expand
  19. Jun 1, 2016
    10
    The best game I played so far. Full of action and really important decisions. Your decisions really matters in the end and to the next series. Dialogues and immersion are the cream of the top!!
  20. Jun 1, 2016
    10
    The graphic is still very good. The atmosphere is amazing. The story is brilliant. Gerald is unforgatable. In my opinion the game has only one fault, i missed fight system from the previous episode. I really liked it. My favourite RPG game is witcher trilogy
  21. May 31, 2016
    8
    Immersive. The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings is one of those games that you'd really feel getting into. The protagonist and other characters are great, the voice acting is fantastic -- it's action-packed and offers a great story experience. But too much of one thing sometimes kills; as the game is clustered with excessive exploration, dialogues, and puzzles - it ruins the flow of the game.
  22. May 13, 2016
    9
    I feel like this game doesn't get nearly enough love. Is it perfect? No. Does it feel like a short bridge between Witcher 1 and Witcher 3? Yes. But it is a thoroughly enjoyable experience. If you like Witcher 3's story. Buy this. It still looks amazing, despite coming out in 2011. It's just a good game. Not a masterpiece like the Witcher 3, but a great game that you will probably spend aI feel like this game doesn't get nearly enough love. Is it perfect? No. Does it feel like a short bridge between Witcher 1 and Witcher 3? Yes. But it is a thoroughly enjoyable experience. If you like Witcher 3's story. Buy this. It still looks amazing, despite coming out in 2011. It's just a good game. Not a masterpiece like the Witcher 3, but a great game that you will probably spend a good time enjoying. Plus it's practically two games in one because one decision you make in the game changes nearly all the quests in the second chapter. Damn good stuff! Expand
  23. May 9, 2016
    10
    The epic scale of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is remarkable, but it's the power of choice in an unrelentingly ugly world that makes it unforgettable. Moral ambiguity has never been so powerfully presented: the decisions you make actually matter, and the outcomes are often unforeseeable and rarely as good as you'd hope.

    One of the most impressive things about The Witcher 2 is the
    The epic scale of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is remarkable, but it's the power of choice in an unrelentingly ugly world that makes it unforgettable. Moral ambiguity has never been so powerfully presented: the decisions you make actually matter, and the outcomes are often unforeseeable and rarely as good as you'd hope.

    One of the most impressive things about The Witcher 2 is the way it blends two very distinct experiences. Early in the game, Geralt must make a choice that will take him down one of two separate paths, each offering a completely different perspective on the game's events. If you want to see it all, you'll have to play it twice—and there's more than enough to make it a worthwhile effort.

    You might expect all your toil and trouble to eventually lead to a just and happy ending for all, but it won't. Geralt isn't a hero; he's really not much more than a bystander, trying to protect what little he has from the chaos that surrounds him. His quest is entirely personal, driven forward by a colorful, occasionally bizarre and surprisingly believable cast of characters that really brings the game alive. Geralt works alone, but he feels more like "one among many" than the savior-protagonists of other party-based RPGs, and its one of the aspect that makes The Witcher unique.

    It's a fantastic and well-told tale, layered over very solid mechanical underpinnings: A flexible character development system, glorious eye candy, intense combat and more than enough secondary content to camouflage its linear nature. It's dark, it's dirty, it's sometimes flat-out depressing -and it's brilliant.
    Expand
  24. Feb 17, 2016
    8
    A really awesome RPG that everyone should play. The Witcher 2 is a very enjoyable game and a solid entry to the franchise. It has a complex, fun gameplay and a great story. And it's visuals are amazing.
  25. Rem
    Jan 23, 2016
    8
    The Witcher 2, in many aspects, puts hardcore back into the rpg while simultaneously offering a vastly replayable game set in a dark fantasy world. The story of Geralt, a master monster slayer, is one rife with politics, adult themes, and intrigue. Right at the start the writing is stellar and written very well. No single character is an archetype, and everyone has a motive that may or mayThe Witcher 2, in many aspects, puts hardcore back into the rpg while simultaneously offering a vastly replayable game set in a dark fantasy world. The story of Geralt, a master monster slayer, is one rife with politics, adult themes, and intrigue. Right at the start the writing is stellar and written very well. No single character is an archetype, and everyone has a motive that may or may not help you. The element of choice surpasses even today's standards as a decision literally at the beginning of the game could literally send you down one of two vastly different paths throughout the rest of this 40+ hour adventure. This is also no game for children as topics of rape, murder, assassination, and torture are only some of the more mild ones, it makes other similarly rated mature games look like Disney films. Accompanying this game is a dynamic combat system that can swing both ways depending how far you get into the game. If you quit the game rather early, you would've had the impression that this game was frustrating and unforgiving. But the true fun lies with preparing for your battles through potions and reading up on enemy tactics. While not stellar and ultra responsive, the combat of using two swords and a dark souls-esque is welcome over the more vanilla combat system of the first Witcher game. With all I've said you would imagine The Witcher 2 to be a near flawless game but some real flaws hold the game back from achieving real greatness. For one the game is absolutely stunning as in it still makes the PCs of today work to run it even on high. Even then the game overkills with bloom effectively conveying a very fantasy tone but to me it looks rather odd. But among the most frustrating is the inventory and a lack of tutorial. The inventory at best is cumbersome and unintuitive. You'll eventually get used to it, but for the first few hours it can be a nightmare to handle. And the potion system for the most part is an integral part but without knowing what enemies you might face next, it becomes impossible to determine which potion you need for the next fight since you can only take them out of combat through meditation.
    combine this with the lack of a fast travel system and you have a recipe for a bevy of problems that only irritate players. But for the most part, The Witcher 2 is an adult game that respects player choice and is a strong rpg in its own right and of 2011.
    Expand
  26. Jan 21, 2016
    10
    This was my second favorite RPG of all time, after Mass Effect 2, now after The Witcher 3, it has gone down to third. One of the things that i like the most about this game, was once more, the Storytelling and the writing itself, the dialogue, and situations, are probably thing that would make Andrzej proud. I just love this game as a hole, and once again, its biggest problem, is itsThis was my second favorite RPG of all time, after Mass Effect 2, now after The Witcher 3, it has gone down to third. One of the things that i like the most about this game, was once more, the Storytelling and the writing itself, the dialogue, and situations, are probably thing that would make Andrzej proud. I just love this game as a hole, and once again, its biggest problem, is its difficulty, because fighting a **** KRAKEN in the first 5 hours isn"t that fun when you have to die a lot... But since it's not has OP has the first one, is quite nice that i can play it just dying like, less times than the first one. 10/10 Expand
  27. Jan 2, 2016
    9
    Excellent story with great graphics and good combat. Very dark Atmosphere.

    Graphics: 10
    Game play : 8
    Combat: 8
    World Design: 9
    Content: 9
    Immersion: 9
    Story: 10
  28. Dec 23, 2015
    9
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a fan of the Witcher series since I've read the books back in 2005 or so (and this fact really helped enjoy the game better) however even if you haven't read the books - this is a very good RPG in itself.

    The pros:
    + Excellent graphics. Slightly different than in Witcher-1, and generally a bit better, as expected of a newer game.
    + The combat system got improves since Witcher 1 - here it is MUCH more dynamic. No more click-rythm, instead you have to evade, block, and counterattack within tight moments after enemy attacks - to win a fight. It has a pretty good learning curve.
    + In general - the game is quite difficult, even on Medium, and that's after having beaten Witcher-1 relatively easily.
    + The nice "dark fantasy" world remains. Elves get racially discriminated against, town guards take drugs as bribes, and use said drugs... Witches are trying to survive the ignorant mod that fears and hates them.
    + Triss. Deserves an individual notion :-) From the start to the finish of W-2, there's more interaction with her here than in Witcher-1, where she was just one of many interactable characters.
    + Interesting characters in general. Each has personality. They are explored more than in W-1.
    + No "good vs. evil" - just a lot of people (and other creatures) with their conflicting goals, feels and wants.
    + With the above said - often you can decide who to help and how to judge those around you. You even decide whether a king gets to live or not!
    + Not a lot of grinding, if any, for better gear. In fact you start out with quite decent gear: a Witcher's Steel and Silver sword, and not until quite late in the game can you find a weapon that's better.
    + No **** quests like "go hunt 10 squirrels and bring me the furs". Most quests are backed with a story that something really bad happened, and only a Witcher can help the person in need.
    + The quests feel on-the-spot, relevant to the situation. So unlike Commander Shepard saving the galaxy, and then being told to deal with some scumbags that stole something from a merchant, or the Inquisitor in Dragon Age looking for a lost cow.

    Cons:
    - Importing a save from Witcher-1 has minimal impact. Your imported weapons that were superior to anything in W-1 are there but they are inferior to many footsoldier weapons, for example. Same goes for your crafted Raven Armor. Didn't notice much plot contect that was linked back to W-1.
    - The locations aren't big. In fact they are kinda small.
    - Many rocks and static objects were copy-pasted around the levels in the most shameless way.
    - Can't jump/retreat during combat.
    - Often combat is initiated by a cutscene that puts you in a bad position. Sometimes you can tell what's gonna happen and wish you had control of the character, but no.
    - The cutscenes where you do have some limited control of the character - suck even more, because you have to do something, but can't do what you normally wanna do, and are forced to figure out what the heck does this particular cutscene wants you to click and when. Ugh!
    - Potions last 10 or 20 minutes of ingame time. No more long-term buffs.
    - Balance issue: the fire spell Igni is so overpowered that, once maxed out - turns into some Infernal Flamethrower of Doom that can be used as your sole weapon at defeating ANY and all enemies, including bosses. This pretty much defeats the purpose of learning to use the sword effectively - which is very challenging in a good way.
    - Unless you do side quests a lot - the game feels much shorter than W-1. High diversity of replayability though - depending on which side you choose the playthrough can be very different.

    But overall the cons are minor, and this is a great game, highly recommend to both fans of the Witcher world, as well as people looking for a good RPG in general!
    Expand
  29. Dec 21, 2015
    10
    One of the best games ever made. Has an incredible cast of characters in a well woven story, this story will intrigue you and motivate you through the entire game. The combat is quite good and a nice change from the rhythmic pace of the Witcher 1. You need to play this game, it is a masterpiece and has an incredible soundtrack
  30. Dec 21, 2015
    10
    This game is amazing. Worth of every coin spent on it. The graphics are really good for DX9 and the dialogues, combat, leveling system are perfect for a RPG of 2011. This game is worth of the GOTY award.
Metascore
88

Generally favorable reviews - based on 76 Critics

Critic score distribution:
  1. Positive: 70 out of 76
  2. Negative: 0 out of 76
  1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 21, 2011
    93
    Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. A true, polished diamond. Watch and learn Bioware. [May 2011]
  2. Sep 14, 2011
    92
    The Witcher 2 easily stands amongst the big boys in the CRPG crowd and is also the best Action RPG to come out since Mass Effect 2.
  3. Sep 7, 2011
    90
    The Witcher 2 offers awesome sword fights, cool graphics, charming characters, a compelling story, lots of bare skin and a decent shot of vulgar conversations. Damn good.