8.5

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Being a total noob at RPGs, I bought this game because I thought the combat looked very good and graphics were awesome. But don't trust the reviews. This game is far too complicated and has too many elements. Graphics are nice and I'm sure there's a good game in there for hardcore dungeon dwellers, but for me it's too complicated. This is NOT a simple Action RPG. The tutorial doesn't do aBeing a total noob at RPGs, I bought this game because I thought the combat looked very good and graphics were awesome. But don't trust the reviews. This game is far too complicated and has too many elements. Graphics are nice and I'm sure there's a good game in there for hardcore dungeon dwellers, but for me it's too complicated. This is NOT a simple Action RPG. The tutorial doesn't do a bad job, but it certainly is off-putting. Expand
  2. Jun 15, 2016
    The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is amazing videogame with interesting story, good graphics (too light) and excellent training, but in this game many minus eg very light graphics which the cuts eyes or many cutscenes, but pluses in this game much too eg amazing storyline, awesome subjects, excellent training, gameplay is much fun, but Witcher III is better than The Witcher II and I notThe Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is amazing videogame with interesting story, good graphics (too light) and excellent training, but in this game many minus eg very light graphics which the cuts eyes or many cutscenes, but pluses in this game much too eg amazing storyline, awesome subjects, excellent training, gameplay is much fun, but Witcher III is better than The Witcher II and I not really like Witcher and in this series I really like Witcher III, but I not really like Witcher II and I played in Witcher 2 and 3, but I don't played first Witcher . Wicher II is good game . Expand
  3. May 3, 2013
    I played the EE of the game fully patched so I base my review on that. The game is great not much to say. Great story, great gameplay, great characters. Things I didn't like where the kinda small locations and to little side quests I think the first one was better in that aspect and I wish they didn't remove the collectible cards (you know what I mean).
  4. Dec 11, 2012
    This game is truly beautiful on just about every level. Combat can be frustrating when multiple enemies take turns knocking you back but you always have a dozen toys at your disposal to wipe the floor with them. The story is hard to follow with all the name dropping and the fact it feels like it was pulled from the middle of a book instead of the beginning or end. It's also moreThis game is truly beautiful on just about every level. Combat can be frustrating when multiple enemies take turns knocking you back but you always have a dozen toys at your disposal to wipe the floor with them. The story is hard to follow with all the name dropping and the fact it feels like it was pulled from the middle of a book instead of the beginning or end. It's also more politically focused this time taking place on a grander scale compared to the Geralt-focused original. Graphics are a sight to see showing off the strength of the best PC power on the market. This is probably the most beautiful & detailed game available today. All in all this game is superior to the original (which is also amazing) on just about every level (I liked the old inventory, alchemy & combat systems better but they are small differences) and superior to most RPGs and games on the market. Expand
  5. Jun 10, 2015
    This game would have gotten a 9/10 from me, but due to its very narrow FOV i have to take one point off. I was also able to implement a MOD which fixes the FOV; unfortunately, that mod prevented me from using other good mods (such as Full Combat Rebalance MOD), which i had to forsake in order to have a normal field of view.

That aside - i enjoyed the game thoroughly. I am a fan of the

That aside - i enjoyed the game thoroughly. I am a fan of the first one, and the sequel did not disappoint. The gameplay is not a simplified hack-n-slash - i played on Hard and found combat quite a challenge, final bosses being a real pain in the ass!

Unlike an illusion of choice (such as in Mass Effect) of the path, Witcher 2 offers choices which affect the path and the plot of the main story. Not to give away any spoilers - your choice in the beginning of the Prologue will actually effect the following Chapter. So if you replay the game and make a different choice in the beginning, you will play through a different level in the upcoming chapter - a level which you have never played before. This adds a high value to replayability and believability to the gameplay.

My best part of this whole game is the narrative. This is a game for adults - not because of graphics violence or nudity but because of the depth the story has been developed. It is full of politics, assassinations, intrigues, manipulations, and so on, told through a very witty and eloquent narrative (i just love the prose). The story is magnificent and well-shoed and, as expected from the Witcher universe, thoroughly thought through and explained in detail.
  6. Sep 6, 2014
    Graphically impressive with exceptional production values, and a good game, but not the second coming, and definitely not the next big thing in RPGs. Restrictive in the same way console RPGs are, just with hi-res textures, presented as an adult game, yet under the surface it's just as adolescent as the first game was, with it's ridiculous sex cards. Gameplay (particularly combat) is oftenGraphically impressive with exceptional production values, and a good game, but not the second coming, and definitely not the next big thing in RPGs. Restrictive in the same way console RPGs are, just with hi-res textures, presented as an adult game, yet under the surface it's just as adolescent as the first game was, with it's ridiculous sex cards. Gameplay (particularly combat) is often quite bad, particularly on Normal difficulty or higher - controls feel unresponsive, delayed, keymapping can be altered but not in game and only using the game's config tool. Good, but not great. Expand
  7. Nov 12, 2014
    The Witcher 1 was a perfect RPG experience in my eyes and in retrospect I would rank it among the very best in the genre. The Witcher 2 changes quite a lot of things, some of them for better, others for worse, but despite some problems, it's still a fantastic RPG ride and a worthy successor.

The story is still top notch, maybe little too much politics for my taste, it can be hard to follow all the kingdoms, their situation, kings, intentions etc., but it makes it feel more grandiose in scope. The game itself however is quite a bit shorter than the first one, only 3 chapters and the last chapter went by really fast, but if you do everything, it's still about 30 hours, which is good enough.

The visuals are beautiful, I loved all 3 locations and their environments, some of the locations were just breathtaking, but the overall art direction seems to be pushed into more punch in the face aesthetic, so the colors are often way too over saturated to my taste. I preferred more subtle style of the first Witcher.

The biggest change is the controls and combat. I love the fact you can grip the controller and feel your character, move around, the combat is also much more fluid and it feels tight, that's a good change, but what is not so good is the UI, the inventory management, all the additional menus, it suffered from the overall console controllers interface, it needs some serious getting used to and I really hope this will be improved in TW3.

Another disappointment is the alchemy, one of my favourite things to do in TW1. gathering herbs, mixing potions and effectively use them in battle. Here, you cannot drink once the combat starts, but before that in preparation. You would need to be a seer visionary to know when you are going to need it, this basically ruined the effective use and I just ignored the alchemy completely, focusing solely on the sword techniques.

The biggest problem of TW2 imo is it's linearity and non-open world corridor style world design. Especially now when you can control Geralt with such fluidity it's really immersion breaking to encounter all those invisible walls and barriers, it feels very restricting, you can't even jump over the obstacles, it just lacks the freedom of many other more open world RPGs, but that's exactly the issue that the new Witcher 3 should address.

There are some other minor bugs, I had few crashes during my playthrough, there are many audio balance issues, voice overs too loud or too quiet every once in a while, and they somehow managed to ruin the dice poker mini-game which is not nearly as good as in the first game, but nothing that can destroy your RPG experience.

And what an experience it is, captivating story, interesting characters, well-written quests, in the first half of the game pretty challenging battles that force you to use all your resources to win and important decisions that have a strong impact on the actual world around you and the last but not least - fantastic soundtrack again. All the things I loved about the first Witcher and reasons why I love The Witcher series so much. I'm looking forward to the new open world TW3 that's looking amazing so far and hopefully is going to improve all the shortcomings of TW2 to create the ultimate masterpiece and finish this amazing trilogy. 9/10
  8. Feb 22, 2013
    Witcher 2 is a brilliant game. It is very rare to play a fantasy/dark-fantasy game that has nice graphics, good writing and characters, and a mature and interesting story. I also like that the games world has European roots. Go play this if you want a great gaming experience, that is getting more and more rare nowadays.
  9. Jun 17, 2015
    Improving over The Witcher 1, on the whole combat system and with more engaging side quest, The Witcher 2 is not perfect (if possible I would have rate it 9.5) with some minor defaults like the fact that you don't remember formulas, but I love it way to much to lower the mark to 9. Fantastic graphics at the times and above everything else the best story of modern videogames with detailedImproving over The Witcher 1, on the whole combat system and with more engaging side quest, The Witcher 2 is not perfect (if possible I would have rate it 9.5) with some minor defaults like the fact that you don't remember formulas, but I love it way to much to lower the mark to 9. Fantastic graphics at the times and above everything else the best story of modern videogames with detailed and realistic characters, and choices that have enormous consequences, in fact the 40-50 hours that the game needs to be complete could be almost doubled giving that a choice in the end of Act 1 will change the rest of the game in almost every aspect (only a few quests will be the same) .

I've already said this on my review of the first Witcher, but those games are to videogames what Game of Thrones is to series : high production value, faithful to the original works, addicting story and characters, etc. It's a must have !
  10. Jun 30, 2013
    This is the best RPG i've ever played so far the graphics are so so amazing specially the forest parts and the story is just amazing with really difficult choices to make through out the game the combat was improved greatly i liked it better than the first part and there are so many characters that you'll love in this game let me put it simple this game easily nominated for the gameThis is the best RPG i've ever played so far the graphics are so so amazing specially the forest parts and the story is just amazing with really difficult choices to make through out the game the combat was improved greatly i liked it better than the first part and there are so many characters that you'll love in this game let me put it simple this game easily nominated for the game of generation Expand
  11. Sep 26, 2015
    Stellar Atmosphere, Great Audio Effects, and Captivating Story. When I first installed the Witcher 2, those traits are what grabbed me. At the end of November and the beginning of December, I preordered my collector's addition at Gamestop. I am slightly disappointed at the package material used to contain my items. The black "fuzziness" coats the bust. At once, I noticed how much of aStellar Atmosphere, Great Audio Effects, and Captivating Story. When I first installed the Witcher 2, those traits are what grabbed me. At the end of November and the beginning of December, I preordered my collector's addition at Gamestop. I am slightly disappointed at the package material used to contain my items. The black "fuzziness" coats the bust. At once, I noticed how much of a challenge that TW 2's combat serves. On normal, a player needs to make use of the alchemy system. A player needs to think ahead with the potions that they consume. Expand
  12. Aug 8, 2012
    I definitely loved playing this game, the story was very powerful, it had good animation, and you could pick many different outcomes through speech, that and the open world gameplay was great, definitely worth the purchase, my only complaint is that it ended right as I was hoping for more.
  13. Jul 30, 2016
    Good story elements ruined by weak gameplay. The combat in this game is atrocious almost as bad as Demon Souls. Its not hard at all (I started, like always, at the highest difficulty; in this case Dark Mode), but it is cheaply made and very poorly implemented thus you die a lot not due to lack of skill but due to the poor design and just bad luck. This is not how RPG's are supposed toGood story elements ruined by weak gameplay. The combat in this game is atrocious almost as bad as Demon Souls. Its not hard at all (I started, like always, at the highest difficulty; in this case Dark Mode), but it is cheaply made and very poorly implemented thus you die a lot not due to lack of skill but due to the poor design and just bad luck. This is not how RPG's are supposed to play. If I wanted luck I would go to a casino.

The biggest problem is the auto-target functionality which likes to switch enemies on a whim. So there you are trying to engage one enemy but at the very last moment a different enemy gets closer to you and auto-targeting switches to the new enemy before you know it happened. Since Geralt is a dancing fool, he will do a double twirl towards the new target, exposing his back to the 1st enemy, who takes a lucky swings and kills you in 1 hit. This happened to me at least a dozen times in act 1 until I finally stopped engaging groups and fought them from far away using weak lunges and range weapons (daggers, bombs, traps etc). The problem is that this way of fighting is plain cheap and boring because once you realize how easy it is to kill everything with bombs, it becomes like a "I win" button.

Next the close angle over the shoulder camera is retarded. There you are fighting an enemy and you decide to roll to avoid a hit and whooops.... you encounter the dreaded tree branch! Oh great now there is something blocking 75% of the screen. No problem I will just roll back where I came from... nope cant do that because the enemy follows you and he has an HUGE invisible collision box which blocks your path. Okay so Ill take a chance and roll left... oh oh... its the dreaded 2 inch high tree root with a collision box the size of Detroit... you apparently cannot dive above that little root and instead you hit an invisible wall and the enemy nonchalantly walks up to you (laughing the entire way), looks at you funny for 2 seconds, then lazily stabs you in the neck. Cheap death.

Next you have the ultimate stupidity... all the rolling and twirling. It works ok if you lunge from range then roll back but say you just want to quickly stab someone standing 2 inches in front of you. The enemy has their back turned to you so you figure just a quick back stab is perfect but NO! Geralt decides to do a double somersault 1st because... you know... you dont want to make things too easy... and of course, by the time you do all the ballerina twirls the enemy had had time to turn and you can no longer back-stab so you dive back away before a different enemy back-stabs you...

Horrible gameplay. Once you adjust the combat becomes trivially easy but boring because it is so limited.

Now the good news. The story elements are very good. The story makes sense, the conversations are good, the voice acting is good, and your decisions really do make a difference. I really wanted to progress to see what happens and I really hated some characters (in the good way) and liked some others.

The RPG character build elements are also ok but very limited. There are only 3 trees to pick from but really there are only 2 since the entire Alchemy tree can be reduced to the 1st selection on the left, the one that double the damage from bombs and traps (its the only one you need from that tree and only costs 2 points). There is a mage tree that improves the few spells you have and a combat tree which offers better defense (helpful since combat is so bad) and improve offense. I would prefer more options for gameplay myself with more customization options but thats just me.
  14. Rem
    Jan 23, 2016
    The Witcher 2, in many aspects, puts hardcore back into the rpg while simultaneously offering a vastly replayable game set in a dark fantasy world. The story of Geralt, a master monster slayer, is one rife with politics, adult themes, and intrigue. Right at the start the writing is stellar and written very well. No single character is an archetype, and everyone has a motive that may or mayThe Witcher 2, in many aspects, puts hardcore back into the rpg while simultaneously offering a vastly replayable game set in a dark fantasy world. The story of Geralt, a master monster slayer, is one rife with politics, adult themes, and intrigue. Right at the start the writing is stellar and written very well. No single character is an archetype, and everyone has a motive that may or may not help you. The element of choice surpasses even today's standards as a decision literally at the beginning of the game could literally send you down one of two vastly different paths throughout the rest of this 40+ hour adventure. This is also no game for children as topics of rape, murder, assassination, and torture are only some of the more mild ones, it makes other similarly rated mature games look like Disney films. Accompanying this game is a dynamic combat system that can swing both ways depending how far you get into the game. If you quit the game rather early, you would've had the impression that this game was frustrating and unforgiving. But the true fun lies with preparing for your battles through potions and reading up on enemy tactics. While not stellar and ultra responsive, the combat of using two swords and a dark souls-esque is welcome over the more vanilla combat system of the first Witcher game. With all I've said you would imagine The Witcher 2 to be a near flawless game but some real flaws hold the game back from achieving real greatness. For one the game is absolutely stunning as in it still makes the PCs of today work to run it even on high. Even then the game overkills with bloom effectively conveying a very fantasy tone but to me it looks rather odd. But among the most frustrating is the inventory and a lack of tutorial. The inventory at best is cumbersome and unintuitive. You'll eventually get used to it, but for the first few hours it can be a nightmare to handle. And the potion system for the most part is an integral part but without knowing what enemies you might face next, it becomes impossible to determine which potion you need for the next fight since you can only take them out of combat through meditation.
    combine this with the lack of a fast travel system and you have a recipe for a bevy of problems that only irritate players. But for the most part, The Witcher 2 is an adult game that respects player choice and is a strong rpg in its own right and of 2011.
  15. May 31, 2016
    Immersive. The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings is one of those games that you'd really feel getting into. The protagonist and other characters are great, the voice acting is fantastic -- it's action-packed and offers a great story experience. But too much of one thing sometimes kills; as the game is clustered with excessive exploration, dialogues, and puzzles - it ruins the flow of the game.
  16. Mar 25, 2016
    Well, after I had read all of the books, i'm keeping get disappointed about loose adaptation. But the disappointment through the rate 6/10 regards poor optimization, flat characters (beside the witcher and Triss) and more important few localizations that are small. The characters appear where they want, lots of bugs despite the fact the game was released over 5 years ago. On the other handWell, after I had read all of the books, i'm keeping get disappointed about loose adaptation. But the disappointment through the rate 6/10 regards poor optimization, flat characters (beside the witcher and Triss) and more important few localizations that are small. The characters appear where they want, lots of bugs despite the fact the game was released over 5 years ago. On the other hand I'm proud of good voice acting, great fight feeling and interesting story. Expand
  17. Sep 9, 2016
    The most overrated of the Witcher series.The first Witcher which i enjoyed back when it was released, was a very good but flawed gem. Witcher 3 is probably the best RPG yet. But Witcher 2, is overrated.

This game was praised a lot for its graphics and story. Both are really great. But as a game, this is poor. Gameplay is boring. Combat system is among the worst ever. Roll and roll

Gameplay is boring. Combat system is among the worst ever. Roll and roll with the occasional Quen sign and some mouse clicks. Boring.

The maps are really small, and the gameplay is really just busywork in between the story segments.

Alchemy is useless, magic aside Quen is not really useful.

There enemy AI is braindead, and playing in higher difficulties just makes the enemies HP sponges and the bosses like the Kraken, a cancer.

I am sorry, but this is a video game, not an interactive novel, and as a game it is just not very good.

The story is still stellar, and the graphics are awesome. And you will enjoy Witcher 3 much more if you complete this as well.

2 options exist, either watch a "movie version" of the story on Youtube, or play in this on the easiest difficulty setting, just for the story. The game, as a video game, is overrated. I typically use "extreme" ratings for overrated or underrated games, but since this is the Witcher series, one of my favourites, i am biased, so i will give it the rating it deserves, 7/10. Don't let that score fool you though, you definitely need to watch or play this once, in any case, despite its flaws.
  18. Oct 12, 2011
    Unfortunately. I am comparing this to PC games and TW1 which in my opinion was vastly better. Requiring 2 9 gb patches within a 9 days of launch and still being flawed this is one awful example of what happens when a company designs for a console and this tries to fit a product coded for ancient hardware to state of the art PC. It was a nightmare which I couldnt bear. Another consoleUnfortunately. I am comparing this to PC games and TW1 which in my opinion was vastly better. Requiring 2 9 gb patches within a 9 days of launch and still being flawed this is one awful example of what happens when a company designs for a console and this tries to fit a product coded for ancient hardware to state of the art PC. It was a nightmare which I couldnt bear. Another console RPG/Action clone. Linear in the extreme and reliant on the (admittedly good) cut scenes for atmosphere and immersion. Personally, if I want to spend most of the time watching cut scenes, I will watch a movie. The linear gameplay made this feel like it would have been much happier droppng the human element and playing itself. I can understand this being a real blockbuster for the PC, lets be honest its so similar to Two worlds 2 and all the other lightweight RPG action clones for the console its pretty much interchangable. Expand
  19. Sep 9, 2012
    Very good game with awesome graphics and main story. This game si in many ways better than Skyrim. A must buy if you like witcher books. This game is same quality like them.
  20. May 18, 2011
    Witcher 2 has continued to grow on me, and no, I'm REALLY not advancing the plotline. Just pacing though the original semi-open area, exploring every nook and cranny. Some people might call this a 30 hour game. At the rate I am playing 80. This is like bioshock was years ago, I just adore every single inch and feel incredibly at home. This is incalculably better than anything else I haveWitcher 2 has continued to grow on me, and no, I'm REALLY not advancing the plotline. Just pacing though the original semi-open area, exploring every nook and cranny. Some people might call this a 30 hour game. At the rate I am playing 80. This is like bioshock was years ago, I just adore every single inch and feel incredibly at home. This is incalculably better than anything else I have played for YEARS. The soundtrack is hauntingly flawless, the graphics are simply the best ever conceived (yes, better than crysis 1 on highest) and the combat system is deep and hard-as-nails. The games main downer is that it has to end. I don't want it to end!! If portal 2 was the ingenious of this year, this would be the class. 100% golden plated class. Expand
  21. Sep 5, 2011
    It's a good RPG but I found the combat system was a bit of a backwards step and spoilt what remained, the graphical performance was ropey at release despite having a high end PC... and TBH the effects didn't impress me to much, could have done this on the original's engine and would have been just as good.
  22. Oct 2, 2012
    Witcher 2 represents a brilliant effort at role-playing game design, that if anything took itself too seriously, and so fell a deal short of its potential. This game however was made with passion and love for its characters, its world, its tale! That level of passion pushes the game towards a 10/10 score despite a fairly large number of warts, blemishes and imperfections. If nothing else,Witcher 2 represents a brilliant effort at role-playing game design, that if anything took itself too seriously, and so fell a deal short of its potential. This game however was made with passion and love for its characters, its world, its tale! That level of passion pushes the game towards a 10/10 score despite a fairly large number of warts, blemishes and imperfections. If nothing else, the game tells a story worth witnessing to the end. It's a game perhaps to be bought and played only once. But that once should suffice to crete powerful memories, much like reading a good book or seeing a good movie. This game has a GREAT plot. GREAT characters heros villains and NPCs. Great locations. Even the combat is pretty good once you figure out how to do it (hint: roll roll roll roll, never walk always roll) With every reccommendation in the world, potential players need to be warned of the shortcomings of Witcher 2: (1) The implementation of quick time events is TERRIBLE. (2)The combat is clumsy, (3) The lack of camera flexibility is TERRIBLE in a game that demands reactions, and skill. (4) The U.I is extremely bothersome to use. (5) The explorable world is too small. (6) The story is too short. (7) The ending is REALLY BAD. (8) No real replayability after a first playthrough. Cudos go to the designers for patching the first release and for lots of free DLC and a great attitude to their customer base. We can only pray they keep their level of passion for their work and find a way to offer all they do well again in a larger space with more player imput. CD Projekt Red have shown themselves to be a design team to watch and pray for. If these guys do everything right we could have a true masterpiece on our hands. Expand
  23. May 1, 2015
    After playing through this game many times and viewing the game in its entirety, I realized how much
    CD Projekt Red has gone downhill as a game developer and it doesn't make me look forward to Witcher 3, AT ALL.
    I want to go on record, and say I am all for their GOG, DRM-Free business model regarding PC games, which is where I got my copy of Witcher 2 and all my PC games. 3D Vision

3D Vision Review: This is for those of us like me out there locked into Nvidia's 3D Vision solution, which I prefer to the idiotic notion of playing a game in what I call "photosphere mode" others want to call it virtual reality. I prefer 3D, where things have an amazing depth and actual realness to them, versus the "photosphere mode" being hyped up, because unlike 3D, is all hype compared to 3D, I want to experience the game with extreme 3D depth and smoothness at 120hz per eye, not play the game in a "photosphere mode". In fact, I can't wait for the true 240hz 3D monitors where we get to play the game in 3D with 120hz to each eye with some upgraded 3D glasses. Okay, rant over. This title is Nvidia 3D Vision Ready. My own personal experience with it is that it is great, there's a wonderful sense of 3D Depth at all times when playing in 3D mode, especially with depth and convergence settings set how I want. This is made better by the high quality audio the game has, the environmental sounds are good, the people sound like real people and the music is okay, I'm not a big fan of it, it's just okay to me but it is very high quality.

Gameplay/Story Review: It's a action RPG with a few major dialogue choices here and there, you can interact with everyone but only a few npcs serve a purpose, like merchants and major npcs. It's supposed to be a game world of making choices, but there's no way to go your own way, I personally didn't care for being forced to go Roche's path or Iorveth's path. You can customize Geralt's look somewhat, and there a few armor choices here and there. Not to mention you can't get rid of characters you don't like and change the story, you're forced (once again) to play by the games twisted rules of letting obviously evil characters go, in many cases. There are only a few instances in which you can get rid of the obviously evil characters. I would have preferred more freedom to change the story. It is comparable to a corridor shooter, in that there are very limited choices on where you can go and what you can do and you must go the way the game tells you to with an extremely limited degree of control, which is not what an RPG should be doing. Potions should be able to taken whenever you want, not just during meditation. To me the story is needlessly complicated. I would have preferred if it was more focused. The first glaring flaw that sticks out to me, is that somehow Geralt is being blamed for what happens to King Foltest at the beginning, because there were no witnesses, one simple question for that, is why don't I have the choice to wait for Roche, so Roche can go with me? or better yet, why not wait for Roche to bring along a few Blue Stripes? This comes up a lot, I can think of many situations in the game, where I think out loud, why can't I say no? It makes sense, but no, there is a scripted narrative I must follow, despite how little sense it makes to do so.

Basically, the entire game is scripted in advance, its like playing a modern take on the PC games of old, the point and click interactive movies with digitized or real scenes which also didn't give you much choices either. This game has multiple endings but so do some of those really old point and click games. The areas you get to explore are little more than just pretty scenery, sometimes there's some enemies or a new quest, but you are locked down to a grid. I expect I will feel the same way when I play Witcher 3, which won't happen until I can buy the fully patched game with all DLCs.

2 out of 5, for the great 3D Vision, sound, graphics and the Red Kit SDK. Everything else is just bad and brings the score down a lot.

I do appreciate them providing us with the Red Kit SDK along with this game.
    I hope they provide us with the updated SDK with the release of Witcher 3 and I hope Witcher 3 is a much better game, but like I said, I'm not buying it until I can buy it fully patched and with all of its DLC added in.
  24. Aug 17, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is an breathtaking game that offers an interesting story, well written characters and a visually beautiful world. The combat is also quite satisfying though the difficulty curve is a bit off. The game has quite a lot of content and depending on your choices you will have a completely different experience which will likely please any rpg-fan. You are however (obviously) forcedThe Witcher 2 is an breathtaking game that offers an interesting story, well written characters and a visually beautiful world. The combat is also quite satisfying though the difficulty curve is a bit off. The game has quite a lot of content and depending on your choices you will have a completely different experience which will likely please any rpg-fan. You are however (obviously) forced to play as witcher Geralt and even though Geralt is an interesting character are you kind of locked into his thinking and cant really go outside the box regarding your choices. The witchers surrounding does however make up for it by good voice acting, interesting characters and so forth. It should be noted that the game is a bit rough around edges from time to time but it really is a quite a remarkable rpg and if you are willing to spend some time on the game and have an interest in rpgs you should definitely give it a shot. Expand
  25. May 20, 2011
    Finally a game from a company not bought out by EA. Bioware should be ashamed of themselves after seeing how good of a job CDProject has done on this game. This is what a real game looks like. Beautiful graphics that run great, deep gameplay, characters that I care about, dialog that is actually something I would want to say. Fighting that is not automated, story that makes sense and isFinally a game from a company not bought out by EA. Bioware should be ashamed of themselves after seeing how good of a job CDProject has done on this game. This is what a real game looks like. Beautiful graphics that run great, deep gameplay, characters that I care about, dialog that is actually something I would want to say. Fighting that is not automated, story that makes sense and is enjoyable, and enough depth and complexity to actually warrant playing the game. After Dragon Age was completely destroyed I was heart broken, thankfully this game has come around to take up the slack. Just wait though, EA will buy up CDProject, and they will start producing 1 piece of **** game a year just like the rest of them. Expand
  26. Sep 7, 2012
    If your PC can graphically handle the Witcher 2, you will experience some of the best visuals to date. Be forewarned that this is not an easy task, the game has some of the most demanding requirements. I did not play the original Witcher so I really didn't know what to expect, what a pleasant surprise this game is! -- Story (9): The beginning is a little slow but once your rolling theIf your PC can graphically handle the Witcher 2, you will experience some of the best visuals to date. Be forewarned that this is not an easy task, the game has some of the most demanding requirements. I did not play the original Witcher so I really didn't know what to expect, what a pleasant surprise this game is! -- Story (9): The beginning is a little slow but once your rolling the Witcher 2 has an extremely rewarding story, strengthened by some of the best voice acting I've seen. Your character, the Witcher, is kick ass and his personality and actions are epic. -- Graphics (10): If your machine is adequate, this game has some of the best graphics around. Better than Skyrim on max settings , the visuals are breathtaking, every city and surrounding area is a pleasure to look at. -- Sound (9): The environments, the voice acting, and the effects from spells, skills, and fighting all sound really pleasing. Your character also participates in conversations, making the whole experience more realistic. -- Gameplay (10): Even though everything else here is so good, the gameplay is where the Witcher 2 shines. Some of the best controls I've used for an action RPG, they are extremely smooth very adaptable. The fighting is also superb, addressing all the problems presented in games such as Skyrim. No more generic 3rd person hack and slash, your moves are fluent and responsive. This game also presents a challenge, be prepared to save, die and try again. -- Endgame (8): Multiplayer support would have been great but it's such an epic single player experience that it suffices. There have been numerous support updates and an "Enhanced Edition" with more content is now offered. You will be very satisfied with the starting content itself, this is an adventure that will take some time and effort. Overall The Witcher 2 has been an extremely refreshing addition to the "action-RPG" genre and will make for an extremely awesome addition to your gaming collection. -- Overall: (9) Expand
  27. Dec 20, 2011
    The last RPG I played was Mass Effect 2. Am not really into these kinds of games as a rule but thought I'd check this out after seeing such good metascores. Suffice to say that I found the Witcher 2.0 to have some elements that I really liked - such as lush visuals, challenging combat and a complex story. However, even with a high-end PC and card I was having framerate issues and regularThe last RPG I played was Mass Effect 2. Am not really into these kinds of games as a rule but thought I'd check this out after seeing such good metascores. Suffice to say that I found the Witcher 2.0 to have some elements that I really liked - such as lush visuals, challenging combat and a complex story. However, even with a high-end PC and card I was having framerate issues and regular freezing. Also, the overarching story and back-story is so convoluted, that I found myself pining for less characters and a tighter plot. Biggest gripe though is with the inventory system and the combat. Some of the boss fights are literally rock hard, making Deus Ex's boss battles seem like a walk in the park. Maybe I didn't have the right equipment on me, but I've played and completed so many games I've lost count. Alas, I completed 90% of the Witcher then gave up, impressed to an extent but ultimately wanting a different kind of experience. Open world this is not. Expand
  28. Mar 12, 2013
    I only recently started playing The Enhanced Edition, and I must say, The Witcher 2 is an RPG gem. Sure it has it's flaws, like a few performance issues here and there, the lack of a PROPER tutorial (yes, the EE has a prologue that SORT OF explains SOME of the games features, but even during that tutorial I sometimes found myself confused, having to consult Google to progress), beside thatI only recently started playing The Enhanced Edition, and I must say, The Witcher 2 is an RPG gem. Sure it has it's flaws, like a few performance issues here and there, the lack of a PROPER tutorial (yes, the EE has a prologue that SORT OF explains SOME of the games features, but even during that tutorial I sometimes found myself confused, having to consult Google to progress), beside that the game is really good, slightly harder than your average western RPG, but not impossible. If you're a fan of fantasy worlds with magical elves that live in the forest eating berries, goofy dwarves that make you laugh, and a merry atmosphere all around, then The Witcher 2 is about to give you a mature slap in the face with it's gritty world, filled with murderers, whores, and violence. Don't get me wrong, the adult content does not overshadow the fantasy setting, the world of The Witcher 2 is a magical, mysterious one, filled with dark secrets and fascinating characters. Now down to combat, combat in this game is a little more complicated than your average Fable or Elder Scrolls game, but it's also pretty fun, and doesn't take that long for you to get used to. Graphics? The graphics are superb, but I must warn you, consult a guide on it's graphics settings before starting the game to get the best performance/visual setup, as you may find your FPS dropping for unnecessary graphical settings that don't really add anything to the visuals. (set "texture memory size" from anywhere above medium if you have a graphics card with more than 1 gig of video memory, it'll give you a good FPS boost). Overall this game is well worth your money. Let's just hope CD Projekt puts more effort into a tutorial in The Witcher 3 Expand
  29. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is CDK Projekt Red's masterpiece, it truly deserves all the praise it has gotten, and I haven't found myself more immersed in the story of any other RPG. What The Witcher 2 completely nails is giving you the feeling that your character is extremely important, as here you will literally be deciding the fates of entire kingdoms, and it is interesting how a sense of scale existsThis game is CDK Projekt Red's masterpiece, it truly deserves all the praise it has gotten, and I haven't found myself more immersed in the story of any other RPG. What The Witcher 2 completely nails is giving you the feeling that your character is extremely important, as here you will literally be deciding the fates of entire kingdoms, and it is interesting how a sense of scale exists without the game being truly open-world, and how your decisions as small as they seem can result in great or very grim consequences to you or somebody else. I love the story and the aspects that reinforce it, and the characters are great, Geralt himself is a complete badass and still has the charisma that a video game hero needs in a big story, and some interactions can be extremely amusing indeed. Moving on from the story, the graphics are incredible, it is one of the best looking games I have played to date, you don't even need them maxed out for the game to look amazing, and the lighting also does a great job. The sound is also great, the soundtrack is one of the best I have heard in a while, and I have no complaints about the sound effects themselves. The gameplay is interesting, given that it does have an extra layer of depth despite what is rather few combinations and possibilities when it comes to combat itself, I do wish for more variety, however I was content with what was presented. When you're not in combat you're in dialogue or possibly exploring a place. Quests and side quests are well balanced and interesting, they never feel like a drag and can lead to some interesting outcomes that only reinforce the story and setting. I do wish for better collision detection however, since I have encountered problems with that. And I also had a few problems with the difficulty curve at the beginning of the game, but that evened out later. Overall this is a must buy, this game is an experience you won't get anywhere else, I can guarantee that. Expand
  30. May 25, 2011
    It seems I'm in a minority. But the lack of gameplay depth in this is so sad.
    Game plays fine, graphics are great, but it's not in any way an RPG, it's an action adventure.
    Fine I suppose, lovely I suppose for some. But with Bioware and Bethesda taking all the customization and tactical cobat elements out of their games, it seems this frnachise is going the same way. Luckily, if RPG's are
    It seems I'm in a minority. But the lack of gameplay depth in this is so sad.
    Luckily, if RPG's are what you are after there are some EXCELLENT indie ones that are as good as Baldur's gate or the original Witcher. It seems the gameplay masses just want arcade style kiddie games. Fair enough, I'll move on to indie developers and let these games gradually melt down till they are as about as involving as pong.

1. Pelit (Finland)