8.5

1. May 18, 2011
    A masterpiece of RPG genre. CD Projekt delivered everything they promised and more, one of the best RPG's i have played in recent years. Definitely a game of the year 2011 candidate.

Shame the score is being destroyed by some idiots.
  2. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Definitely the best game I've ever played, the game surefire candidate for 2011. A significant jump up after and so perfect a part of this game will be remembered for a very long Expand
  3. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is what RPGs and PC gaming are all about, this game is a must have for everyone and Iâ
  4. May 17, 2011
    Amazing game.From the graphics to the combat their have been innumerable improvements from the first. Customization of the character may pass on changing race sex and face but it has a deep and well structured skills/abilities and mutagen system that provides real choice and differences in game play. The icing on the cake is the story and especially characters. CDproject RED deservesAmazing game.From the graphics to the combat their have been innumerable improvements from the first. Customization of the character may pass on changing race sex and face but it has a deep and well structured skills/abilities and mutagen system that provides real choice and differences in game play. The icing on the cake is the story and especially characters. CDproject RED deserves many awards for this game. The graphical settings allow for use on a wide range of systems. While the norm seems to be max everything and complain the options given here allow even slower systems to run the game and look very good in my opinion, while higher settings allow for some of the best visuals Ive have seen. It has taken a long time for crysis to be matched this games to me at least does just that is not surpassing it.

Bugs at launch yes a few but all fixable (for me anyway),There are a few quest bugs but nothing major. There were some graphical bugs related to both nvidia and ati rather than the game, Nvidia had new drivers out on launch day and ati hot fix regularly.

A great experience
  5. May 17, 2011
    Amazing game!!. Work that has been done by CD Projekt to give such great entertainment deserves 10. I'm just wondering why there are almost only "10" and just few "0" and nothing between?
  6. May 17, 2011
    I have actually been enjoying this game so much that I felt compelled to make a metacritic account to express just how GOOD this game is. It is so obvious that this game was developed by a team that actually cares about it's story, it's settings and most importantly it's characters. This is a game built with love and it really makes this game special. I have been playing games for a longI have actually been enjoying this game so much that I felt compelled to make a metacritic account to express just how GOOD this game is. It is so obvious that this game was developed by a team that actually cares about it's story, it's settings and most importantly it's characters. This is a game built with love and it really makes this game special. I have been playing games for a long time but this is certainly one of the best games I have ever played. If you have the proper rig ( hell go buy a good one just for this game) you must play this game. You will be doing yourself, fellow gamers and independent developers a huge favor. Trust me. Go get it. Expand
  7. May 17, 2011
    bioware fanboys made me register at metacritic and write this review. first of all if you havent bought this game yet then you are depriving yourself of not just one of the greatest rpg but one of the greatest game of the decade Every single thing that you want to know is evident in every single positive user review. even though i have only completed almost 10 hours of the game, but theybioware fanboys made me register at metacritic and write this review. first of all if you havent bought this game yet then you are depriving yourself of not just one of the greatest rpg but one of the greatest game of the decade Every single thing that you want to know is evident in every single positive user review. even though i have only completed almost 10 hours of the game, but they say that the First impression is the last impression. its an amazing game a must buy! Expand
  8. May 17, 2011
    Witcher 2 is an amazing game in all aspects. Beautiful graphics and landmarks.......enjoyable quests, no load screens and above all they've improved the combat system that some people were complaining about in the first game(although i liked the combat system).
  9. May 17, 2011
    A crowning achievement in both development and distribution. Environments are richly colorful as they are beautiful. Combat mechanics are as simply devised as they are complexly augmentative. CD Projekt has certainly outdone themselves in every respect. With this stunning title and sister outfit, GOG.com, the Polish company has cemented themselves in the spotlight and hearts of both modernA crowning achievement in both development and distribution. Environments are richly colorful as they are beautiful. Combat mechanics are as simply devised as they are complexly augmentative. CD Projekt has certainly outdone themselves in every respect. With this stunning title and sister outfit, GOG.com, the Polish company has cemented themselves in the spotlight and hearts of both modern and classic PC gamers alike. Keep an eye closely on them as they understand their demographic more than any developer today (save only Valve). Expand
  10. May 17, 2011
    Let's be honest. Are you looking for one of the best true cRPGs in history? You want absorbing fights with high level of difficulty? Then don't look anymore because The Witcher 2 is here. There's no way you're gonna find anything as good as this at this moment. Forget about useless c**ps from bioware- they already proved with DE2 that they have already forgotten what a true cRPG is.
  11. May 18, 2011
    This game is a beautiful and atmospheric realisation of Low Fantasy that can't be found in other developer's games. The characters are not idealised, they're like real people with all the complexities and motivations that real people have.
  12. May 18, 2011
    Please, check reviews i_hate_poland & Bioware (lol). Gentelmen for BioWare dontt like to lose. The witcher 2 it's probably GOTY 2011. And this is a first game with free DLC :P Michasacuer
  13. May 18, 2011
    Brilliant, enough for me to sign up and leave a review. I've just made it passed the prologue, and am very very impressed. Key points for me are:
    - Graphics are subtly but firmly better than the current generation of rpg's.
    - Everything about the game feels really well produced. - The collectors edition is such a good show to the player base, they've thrown in everything and the kitchen
    - Graphics are subtly but firmly better than the current generation of rpg's.
    - Everything about the game feels really well produced.
    - The collectors edition is such a good show to the player base, they've thrown in everything and the kitchen sink. Great gesture of thanks/reward for supporting the game.

Given that they're a pc developer, and the crap that's come out of bioware recently, awesome stuff, we need more like this game.

What i really wanted to say is this.. being a pc gamer.. the thing that really strikes me about the witcher so far is.. graphically.. its ALMOST the Crysis 2 we should have got. The lighting effects and the amount and quality of the details in the environment have an uncanny resemblance to the original crysis, in terms of the graphical calibre.

I had a blast tweaking the game and seeing Geralt getting hit in the gut a few dozen times while working out the best configs.. The fact that the game didn't disappoint after this is the reason for the 10. The soundtrack is enjoyable to listen to also..
  14. May 18, 2011
    The best, complexed, and nonlinear story in cRPG since the long time. I might even say, since good old cRPG times (Baldur´s Gate, Torment, etc). Definately a game of the year. Or, perhaps, even years.
  15. Ex_
    May 19, 2011
    Revised rating. Pros of the game: improved combat system that's fast paced, forces player to pay attention to enemies, doesn't spoon feed you; mistakes are also felt in the game (you die on a boss fight, you start the boss fight over again, not from a check point and there aren't frequent autosaves although some may see this as a con); engaging story and graphics; decent use of quicktime;Revised rating. Pros of the game: improved combat system that's fast paced, forces player to pay attention to enemies, doesn't spoon feed you; mistakes are also felt in the game (you die on a boss fight, you start the boss fight over again, not from a check point and there aren't frequent autosaves although some may see this as a con); engaging story and graphics; decent use of quicktime; supports the 360 gamepad with control mapping and UI. Cons of the game: has a somewhat steep learning curve that may be off-putting to impatient players; menu loading can take longer than normal a lot of the time; uses a configuration utility instead of allowing detail changes within the game; ONLY supports the 360 controller. All in all, a good game. P.S. most of the negative reviews are from people who never played the game, are Bioware fanboys, or just didn't take the time to play more than the intro quest before getting their ass kicked, discovered that the game requires skill and not mindless hacking slashing, quitting and refunding. Expand
  16. May 18, 2011
    Excellent!
    Much better than Arcania or DA2, it's not only true, pure RPG, this is great hope for this genre! Epic story, realistic combat, funny e-eggs, interesting world, charismatic hero ...and is so beautiful!
    Game of the Year, and the best RPG since Planescape!
  17. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sensational game. CD Projekt will be rubbing shoulders with Blizzard and Valve soon if they keep up this quality. The attention to detail throughout is on a new level, you can't help but stop and gaze through a markets goods or simply watch villagers as they go about their day-to-day business. The story so far is enthralling and the character design is Blizzard standard. Expand
  18. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have waited a long time for this game, and my expectations were very high. And now after playing Witcher 2, I can say that I'm satisfied with every aspect of this game. The Witcher 2 should become an example for other developers, what RPG game should be. In one word, it is masterpiece. I haven't doubt that Witcher 2 will be the game of the Year 2011. Expand
  19. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a really complete RPG with loads of different elements that ensures that you get involved both with Geralt and the world of the Witcher 2. The action is tight and it actually takes some skill to kill your opponents. You may not be a juggernaut, but you can be sure that you have to the tools to kick ass. Six guards with attitude comes to kick your ass? Use the shield spellThe Witcher 2 is a really complete RPG with loads of different elements that ensures that you get involved both with Geralt and the world of the Witcher 2. The action is tight and it actually takes some skill to kill your opponents. You may not be a juggernaut, but you can be sure that you have to the tools to kick ass. Six guards with attitude comes to kick your ass? Use the shield spell and mind control one of them to do your dirty work and BAM, the odds are now in your favor.

Over all the Witcher 2 is a stunning looking, great playing and amazingly sounding game. Check it out or you'll be sorry.
  20. May 18, 2011
    Witcher is an icon of polish fantasy/science fiction. Thanks to
    CD-PROJECT we have a chance to experience it at our computer screens. So
    far, the best Polish game and one of the top around the globe. I could tell you that "Witcher 2" gives you wonderful experiences and sensations, bla, bla.. but I think that any of this words cannot explain it. The only way to understand what I am trying
    Witcher is an icon of polish fantasy/science fiction. Thanks to
    far, the best Polish game and one of the top around the globe. I could
    tell you that "Witcher 2" gives you wonderful experiences and
    sensations, bla, bla.. but I think that any of this words cannot explain
    it. The only way to understand what I am trying to say is to take a part
    in this amazing adventure. Its a graphic masterpiece - you cant missed it.
  21. May 18, 2011
    A real breath of fresh air in a market of dumbed down , sorry "streamlined" franchises, The Witcher 2 gives a fine example of an immersive, challenging, strategic and above all fun game with a real break from the linearity of it's counterparts.
  22. May 18, 2011
    One of the best RPGs to date. It's actually rather sad that a game as superb as this one has the unfortunate honour of being the subject of trolls who write bogus reviews in an attempt to advertise another game that performed poorly in its user rating (and rightly so).

Anyway, this game has it all. The dialogue, the characters, the graphics (superb!) and the gameplay have clearly been refined to the point of near perfection. The attention to detail that the developers have invested in this game is truly astounding. The backdrops are vibrant and really rather incredible, making the game an absolute pleasure to play. If your desire to buy RPGs has been crushed by the very game mentioned by the 0-rating trolls, fear not; there's no copied and pasted environments in this game. This is what a RPG should be and other developers should be taking note. Overall, I would give this game a 9.8/10 but Metacritic doesn't allow for decimal points in their review system and I feel 9/10 is too low for a game of this quality, so I'm rounding up. 10/10.
  23. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Witcher is an icon of polish fantasy/science fiction. Thanks to
    far, the best Polish game and one of the top around the globe. I could
    tell you that "Witcher 2" gives you wonderful experiences and
    sensations, bla, bla.. but I think that any of this words cannot explain
    it. The only way to understand what I am trying to say is to take a part
    in this amazing adventure. Its a graphic masterpiece - you cant missed it.
  24. May 18, 2011
    This game is a clear example of what a good PC game is. CD Projekt RED has done an awesome job with the story, graphics, and design of the game. The graphics engine, dubbed "RED Engine", allows you to customize a myriad of features ranging from screen space ambient occlusion to depth of field. Best of all, any future DLC for The Witcher 2 will be free (just as it should be for every PCThis game is a clear example of what a good PC game is. CD Projekt RED has done an awesome job with the story, graphics, and design of the game. The graphics engine, dubbed "RED Engine", allows you to customize a myriad of features ranging from screen space ambient occlusion to depth of field. Best of all, any future DLC for The Witcher 2 will be free (just as it should be for every PC game). If you're looking for a fresh, immersive, and complex RPG... then The Witcher 2 will keep you busy for hours. Expand
  25. May 18, 2011
    Well I'm just so stunned by the game, that I had to sign up and share. I believe it to be the first game since Baldurs Gate II that I just unconditionally love. I played the original Witcher and as a devoted Sapkowski's fun I liked it a lot, but was aware of and annoyed by its faults. With this game it's different. I know there are some (very few and minor) aspect that could be doneWell I'm just so stunned by the game, that I had to sign up and share. I believe it to be the first game since Baldurs Gate II that I just unconditionally love. I played the original Witcher and as a devoted Sapkowski's fun I liked it a lot, but was aware of and annoyed by its faults. With this game it's different. I know there are some (very few and minor) aspect that could be done better, but I just don't give a damn about them. This game is like a dog. A very nice dog that all the neighbors envy you. A pet, that will always have a special place in your heart even when it's long gone. As I said, for a decade I haven't felt like this about a game. I don't mind the lack of character customization, it never bothered me in RPGs. Back in the day of Baldur's Gate it was easy to do, no one required a game to have all the dialogs voice-acted. Now in games like the first DOA or KOTOR, it just pissed me of that almost all characters had voice and the one I'm supposed to feel the most bonded with is a fricking mute. I don't mind the difficult combat. It brings back memories of the great games of old, when you would load a save for a hundred times, mad with frustration, just to die again in what seemed to be an impossible challenge But in the end, you would win and feel pure pride and satisfaction.

I love the story, the looks and all the small and big improvements made by the Reds. I feel like if all the errors of the original Witcher had to be made to allow the second one to be the game it is. I love the developers approach, so uncommon these days, to just ignore all the weekend gamers and just focus on us, dedicated gamers, who see games as something more than just a way to kill time or release some steam after a tough day.

This game makes me proud to be Polish and right now I just don't care about all the things that Poland can't be proud about. You guys make us shine. I hope you continue creating games like this and remain a beacon for all gamers tired of developers treating games like a solely commercial product.
  26. May 18, 2011
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played and the only RPG I've played in recent years that has kept my attention from the beginning and held it. As for the combat, it is engaging and fun while maintaining a nice balance of strategy and action. On the "normal " game difficulty setting, the combat was just difficult enough to keep me challenged. The combination of magic / swordplay / traps &One of the best RPGs I've ever played and the only RPG I've played in recent years that has kept my attention from the beginning and held it. As for the combat, it is engaging and fun while maintaining a nice balance of strategy and action. On the "normal " game difficulty setting, the combat was just difficult enough to keep me challenged. The combination of magic / swordplay / traps & bombs is a lot of fun and gives you many options to use during the midst of combat.

As for the graphics, they are breathtaking. The attention to detail is bar none. The uniforms and patterns are incredibly detailed and well thought out. The environments feel so real and the dungeons give me a bit of a shiver with the perfectly reverberating sound and realistic atmospheric effects like fog / haze. There have been some complaints of graphical glitches, control bugs and other bugs... but I haven't experienced any bugs whatsoever. The load times are excellent on my mid-range rig and I'm able to run the graphics on "medium" and have perfectly smooth frame rates. I'm running an Intel Core-i7 870, 8 gigs of ram, ATI 5870 and Creative Soundblaster Fatility.

Thank you cdprojekt! THANK YOU!
  27. May 18, 2011
    For now I can only say - masterpiece...The game is so beautiful, so very well rounded. Dialogue - well written, very brilliant and sprightly, and immersive. Living world, interesting plot, all that atmosphere - great job. There are of course minor bugs, but I don't care ;) One of the best game I've ever played.
  28. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is the best-looking game ever! It kicks BioWare's ass in many aspects! First, of course, the graphics are amazing! Second, the decision we make in The Witcher 2 are way more serious and change much more than we experienced in Dragon Age 2. So think more than twice about what you are going to say/do! Third, I like the combat! It's not that easy-going combat from Dragon Age 2!The Witcher 2 is the best-looking game ever! It kicks BioWare's ass in many aspects! First, of course, the graphics are amazing! Second, the decision we make in The Witcher 2 are way more serious and change much more than we experienced in Dragon Age 2. So think more than twice about what you are going to say/do! Third, I like the combat! It's not that easy-going combat from Dragon Age 2! When we are facing many enemies at once it's not like: "So.. that's all you got?". We are no superhero. We experience how hard it is to fight so many opponents. We have to dodge them an hit 'em from behind. Plant traps and sometimes, we even need to step back for a moment. It's way more intense. Fourth, the story! It's a suspenceful story! I really like the turns in it and the long dialogues are the best I've seen so far. I really like RPGs that have not that stupid one-liner we all now!
    What's with that stupid female crap MarianHawke is writing about? Insulting? The female character aren't insulted in any way in this game! We have strong female characters, who are smart and are fully emancipated. So, play this game again and think about it. Thanks!
  29. May 18, 2011
    Amazing game, full of graphical splendor and deep storytelling. I really can't endorse this product enough, this will be an instant classic for any RPG fan.
    I also have to mention the savegame carry-over system. Save games change EVERYTHING based on what you did in the last game, a really satisfying experience for long-time fans.
  30. May 18, 2011
    This game is everything dragon age shoul have been. I love bioware but if cd project can continue to pump out this quality of a game, the gaming world will have a new rpg leader. It's very mature so do not play around the little ones if you have them. The game is near flawless if not flawless. It is also incredibly challenging. I died a few times during just the prologue. That's not a badThis game is everything dragon age shoul have been. I love bioware but if cd project can continue to pump out this quality of a game, the gaming world will have a new rpg leader. It's very mature so do not play around the little ones if you have them. The game is near flawless if not flawless. It is also incredibly challenging. I died a few times during just the prologue. That's not a bad thing. It makes it not feel like such a hack n slash. In dragon age 2 u feel like u can jump into 10 enemies and walk away with ease. Not here. If you jump into more than 2 it makes u sweat. I love that about this game. Graphically it is also really well done. The detail they put into it is astonishing. Foe example,If u bump a bucket of tomatoes it actually falls and the tomatoes fall everywhere. If you have the computer to play it and aren't afraid of nudity or very mature language I can't recommend this game enough Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)