8.5

1. Jun 4, 2011
    So far, this gets my vote for GOTY for 2011. The graphics are simply amazing; all those PC elitists who say "this game doesn't have DX11 so it blows, blah blah blah" need to take a close look at what CD Project has done with DX9. This is definitely one of the Top 10 best looking games of all-time, across all platforms. The story was great, and the length was above average (took me aboutSo far, this gets my vote for GOTY for 2011. The graphics are simply amazing; all those PC elitists who say "this game doesn't have DX11 so it blows, blah blah blah" need to take a close look at what CD Project has done with DX9. This is definitely one of the Top 10 best looking games of all-time, across all platforms. The story was great, and the length was above average (took me about 22 hours). The ending was not quite what I was expecting, but doesn't detract enough from the game to move my vote from a 10 to a 9. All-in-all, the best old school RPG (Mass Effect isn't what I'd consider old school) I've played since Morrowind. 10/10 Expand
  2. Oct 26, 2011
    I think it's one of the best RPG this year. The Dialogues between Gerald and the inhabitants are brilliant. The graphics is really cool and I can't be faulted. The best think is the atmosphere of the game, because it's so deep !
  3. Nov 12, 2011
    This game has absolute amazing story. Sometimes it's more like movie than game but who cares if scenes are better than in some movies. The 2.0 patch gave us arena when we can have fun and train before campaign like i did so i finished game on dark mode within 2 days. There are some bugs or errors but they don't interfere to much so i didn't really care. I'm just waiting for witcher 3 so iThis game has absolute amazing story. Sometimes it's more like movie than game but who cares if scenes are better than in some movies. The 2.0 patch gave us arena when we can have fun and train before campaign like i did so i finished game on dark mode within 2 days. There are some bugs or errors but they don't interfere to much so i didn't really care. I'm just waiting for witcher 3 so i can see if my chooses were good Expand
  4. Nov 28, 2011
    In one word: stunning. In a few more: the greatest game of 2011. The saddest part is so many people will skip playing it purely because it doesn't fall within their limited preconceptions of what sort of game they want to play, yet it is these people that could gain so much by playing it. Play it. Love it. Cherish it. PC gaming has never been so good. Arcanum and Planescape: TormentIn one word: stunning. In a few more: the greatest game of 2011. The saddest part is so many people will skip playing it purely because it doesn't fall within their limited preconceptions of what sort of game they want to play, yet it is these people that could gain so much by playing it. Play it. Love it. Cherish it. PC gaming has never been so good. Arcanum and Planescape: Torment lookout. This series has it's eyes fixated on severly knocking on the door and boldly proclaiming that it is possible to beat nostalgia and you don't need a crowbar to do it. Expand
  5. May 27, 2011
    As one of those dissapointed with DA2 i aproached the Witcher 2 with caution, however i neednt have feared because the game is quite simply stunning! For reference, i enjoyed the Witcher 1 after they released the re-done sound. I thought the combat was lacking but the story and atmosphere from Chapter 2 onwards were good enough that i didnt mid the short comings so much. The Witcher 2 isAs one of those dissapointed with DA2 i aproached the Witcher 2 with caution, however i neednt have feared because the game is quite simply stunning! For reference, i enjoyed the Witcher 1 after they released the re-done sound. I thought the combat was lacking but the story and atmosphere from Chapter 2 onwards were good enough that i didnt mid the short comings so much. The Witcher 2 is an improvement in almost everyway. First of all, one of the things everyone is talking about are the graphics. They are probably some of the best graphics currently available. Every moving tree and nasty beasty look exactly as they are supposed to with beautiful design. The attention to detail doesnt stop there though. The game is brought to life by a substantial amount of things going on in the background from soldiers groaning about their lot in life to whores selling their services. From the first moment you really get drawn in. The combat is improved by a long way but perhaps not mastered yet. The delay in reaction time can get frustration and the game does really punish you for getting it wrong, that is until you upgrade. Talking of upgrading, the game manages character development fairly well. There arent the amount of options i usually prefer in RPG;s but they do make a difference and you really feel as if your character is improving through out the game. The storyline is well crafted and well told with only a few average voiceovers to marr its tale. All of the quests, sidequests included are fun and engaging and no two are the same. There will be no fetch quests in this game. The adult nature of the game is done in a much more tasteful way this itme and you wont feel offended by the gameb ut instead just take it for granted that the way they present the world is the way it is. In other words, the adult aspects dont stand out like a sore thumb like they did in the Witcher 1.

There are a few problems however. For one there is the doors. They are akward to navigate and in a minor way, kill the immersion when you have to locate the correct point to stand to open them, and even then only one person can go through at the itme, often shutting the door in your companions face. The jumping points suffer from the same problem. The ending is less the satisfying but does its job but you can forgive that by the way all your choices throughout the game mold it until you are quite literally playing in the world you chose. To the point where the entire second chapter is different depending on your choices in the first chapter.

This is a fine example of how an action RPG should be made, its perhaps not as deep as the rpgs of old, but it certainly handsdown beats its competition. I highly reccomend this game.
  6. May 17, 2011
    This is not only the best RPG I have ever played but my all time favorite game now. Been playing all night and just wow.

Incredibly fast, fun, tactful combat system. That is just so unbelievably smooth it just feels great. Mixing sorcery with sword play, dodging, blocking. Huge improvement from the first. The storyline is just so engaging and well written. The voice acting is fantastic.

The storyline is just so engaging and well written. The voice acting is fantastic. The graphics...dear god the graphics. Just stunning in every way. Such a gorgeous game.

I can't recommend this game enough. Go and buy it!!
  7. Dec 15, 2011
    This is without a doubt my pick for "Game of the Year." Gameplay, dialogue, and characters are all incredibly deep, and the decisions you make have a profound impact on the remainder of the game. Any negative points I could add would be nothing more than nitpicking.
  8. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a quite an impressive RPG, first point: my computer meets the low end specs only just and the game runs beautifully on the low settings. I get a good level of detail and visual background without any sluggishness or jagging, it is eye candy stuff, I can admit I envy those with more powerful systems. This is helped further along by no annoying load screens.

The game

The game story is deep with a very detailed and fun prologue/tutorial to help you get under the player Character's skin and make him your own man by the choices and abilities you give him and those you don't. Style of play is influenced by skills given, sword play is not a just random set of key mashes (unless you like dying alot) Thier are plenty of support skills to keep combat interesting and the enemy AI is quite good: they know how to hit you when you are down or catch you when you are not paying attention. Each opponent requires certain tactics to combat or get an advantage over to defeat.

The only down side I can see is the 'brawling' aspect where some button mashing is required and the intuitive fighting skill requirement to win is lost, it is a sort of random thing: who is quicker you or the enemy AI. But watching the enemy take a whupping is always fun!

There is little or no quest/plot guidence or handholding you have to figure things and locations out for yourself and learn the consequences of actions in the game world. A thinkers game where you kicked off the apple cart and have to fend for yourself. Thier is also plenty of fun and humour to be had wthin and outside the storyline keeping the game immersive and interesting. The game has mature humour and content showing that the developers know it is not a game for kids and respects that in the overall offering, they are catering to the audience who enjoyed the intrigues and reality provided in the first witcher game blood, guts, politics, swearing, nudity and all. Naturally there are a few miniscule and barely noteworthy flaws as with any new game but these pale in comparison to the beautiful gem that is the Witcher 2. And knowing the high level of support CDproject provides they are probably already working overtime on patches now to keep thier fans happy. Defintely a game built by mature and modern gamers for mature and modern gamers

Overall a fantastic game, well worth the price if you are an RPG fan and a must have if you enjoyed the first one. Not a game for hack and slashers or those who don't like thinking too much, full on swearing or tasteful nudity. If bought retail it does require once off DRM activation a pest I know but well worth the effort. High replay value with many options and paths to walk.
  9. Aug 21, 2011
    Everything that's wrong in the (post)modern gaming industry... done right! Marvelous game with a caring developer behind it...CD Projekt's support seems to fulfill the meaning of "user support"... even topping it with free DLC and a soon-to-be-released free update bringing Witcher 2 to patch version 2.0 with true game-improvement (and that...as we all know - lately - is a rarity).
  10. May 17, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011. The single best RPG I have played since Planescape: Torment. The characters are deep and complex, the storyline develops depending on your actions and choices. It takes what was good from every single RPG released in the last 15 years and makes it into something better. The graphics are simply the best ever seen in an RPG to date, if not the bestThis definitely is Game of the Year 2011. The single best RPG I have played since Planescape: Torment. The characters are deep and complex, the storyline develops depending on your actions and choices. It takes what was good from every single RPG released in the last 15 years and makes it into something better. The graphics are simply the best ever seen in an RPG to date, if not the best that we have so far in any game (compare to Crysis if you want to). The flaws are few if any. The stealth sections are not the best, but they are optional, and there are a few bugs and such. There is no ACTUAL character customization, but you can change what the protagonist is wearing with quite a bit.
    The combat system works quite well. It may not be the best combat system in gaming history, but it does exactly what is is supposed to do. But all that is just beside the point. The atmosphere, the music and the character lines are just amazing, combining to create one of the best RPG's of all time.
  11. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I started to play RPG games as a child and I have experienced a lot. I can say that The Witcher 2 is my favourite RPG game of ALL TIME. Graphics, story-line, battle system, characters, music - everything is perfect. I hadn't had so much fun playing for a long time... After I have finished the game, I've started the game again, now on hard difficulty. TW2 ROCKS!! Expand
  12. May 17, 2011
    Sensational game. CD Projekt will be rubbing shoulders with Blizzard and Valve soon if they keep up this quality. The attention to detail throughout is on a new level, you can't help but stop and gaze through a markets goods or simply watch villagers as they go about their day-to-day business. The story so far is enthralling and the character design is Blizzard standard. Hat's off to CDSensational game. CD Projekt will be rubbing shoulders with Blizzard and Valve soon if they keep up this quality. The attention to detail throughout is on a new level, you can't help but stop and gaze through a markets goods or simply watch villagers as they go about their day-to-day business. The story so far is enthralling and the character design is Blizzard standard. Hat's off to CD Projekt, I've not been so happy with a purchase in as long as I can remember. Expand
  13. May 17, 2011
    One of bests game ive played after a long time, the graphics are amazing, everything is made with passion, so deep and immerse.
    TW1 is good, but TW2 is better in all aspects.
  14. May 17, 2011
    Let me start off by saying that I literally just signed up to Metacritic, not to write this review but to LMAO at the guy who posted a review as Bioware_Intern. I never laughed out loud actually reading a review before, my hat goes off to the man for writing such a satirical work. But on to the actual review...I'll keep it short since what I have to say has probably been mentioned a dozenLet me start off by saying that I literally just signed up to Metacritic, not to write this review but to LMAO at the guy who posted a review as Bioware_Intern. I never laughed out loud actually reading a review before, my hat goes off to the man for writing such a satirical work. But on to the actual review...I'll keep it short since what I have to say has probably been mentioned a dozen times by now. The game is phenomenal if you have an education above elementary literature and mathematics. If you fail to meet those minimum requirements then just stick to the annual CoD game, because that is the game for you. Expand
  15. May 18, 2011
    What an amazing game cdproject bring to us. The best rpg of a decade, i cant understand how people can vote to this with zero, go out trolls, this game dont deserve that.
  16. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best RPG for this year, Story is great and nonlinear, choices are great, graphics looks amazing! ,good combat mechanics,Great improvement since Witcher 1, CD Projekt did a great job with this game. Probably one of the best cRPG in history of modern gaming in my opinion

17. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPG I've ever played! It is a game with incredible historical depth, with rich graphics, and a nonlinear story. If you like RPG for adults, meaning that you do not feel that you are taken for idiots, and if you like mature story, then this game is for you. It is beautiful in every sense of the term.
  18. May 22, 2011
    Streamlining done right.
    Streamlining done right.
    The Witcher 2 as a game is the meaning of the word progress. Everything from the graphics to the systems behind the game are an amazing feat, one you would expect from a big named developer backed up by a huge budget . The looks of the game are not only unparalleled due to its PC only nature, but also because it presents a world that feels hand crafted. The attention to detail borders on the extreme: the clothes, the houses and buildings, the faces of the characters their weapons and in general every corner, nook and cranny of the world has a distinctive touch. The scenery is simply breathtaking, and if you are like me you will want to make a screenshot out of every frame. It also shows that you don't need an overabundance of browns and blood reds in your palette to show a gritty dark fantasy world. This game shows its maturity not through a pretense of adult topics or over the top action animations, but through a careful use of its elements and by showing the player some respect: yes, you are an adult, and you can handle these topics, because indeed the Witcher's is a dark world filled with conspiracies, racism and characters in between every single shade of gray. It is a living, breathing, unforgiving world.
    The story is as complex as in the first game, filled with twists and choices that may change the fate of many, and forking paths that make a replay of the game not only encouraged, but required in order to see the extent to which they occur and diverge. Normal and hard difficulties are recommended and will test your skills if you don't face every battle with all seriousness, preparing beforehand by brewing and drinking potions and using all of your abilities during the fight, i.e. your swords your magic signs depending on what enemy you face and traps and bombs for your crowd control.
    The actual combat is in no way dumbed down. It will still punish you if you go unprepared and you can't mash your way out of battles. It is in much better shape than in the first game, and friendly to both the use of a gamepad or mouse and keyboard. The user interface is slick and great looking.
    The ending of the game comes abruptly, and you might feel that it doesn't solve every issue the game presents (the main storyline issues ARE solved, though). It is no excuse from what many will consider a downbeat ending, but in all honesty it doesn't detract a single beat from what this game does right, which is almost everything else. Even if you don't like the ending you will feel that the journey was worth it.
    In the end I feel like I'm required to score this game a 10 despite its shortcomings not because it is a perfect game, but because it is an honest one. When more and more AAA releases are done with specific quarters in mind, or with demographics numbers behind, or executives who never play games are calling the shots, The Witcher 2 really feels developed to please it audience, to show them they too are tired of these.
    There is a certain level of quality you expect from bigger developers which have more of a history and a name, because they deliver experiences that go way beyond what you might get from the indie guys. It is OK, they have the money and the numbers behind. This is a trend that has been changing in the last years and that no longer holds true in most cases though. You might think that one can give a pass to the smaller guys just because they make a lot with too few, and thus a 7 might become an 8 or a 9 might become a 10 this way. In this case in particular neither of these apply. In my mind CDProject RED are already the big name, from whom I will expect unrelenting quality and because after what they achieved they can't be considered the little guy any longer. With the Witcher 2 they delivered a game that is truly above and beyond any RPG from the last years, that feels like a product of love, careful planning and an overall shout to fans and the gaming community that says "we know what you want, and we can deliver. Where others have failed you we will prevail." And God if they don't.
    A serious contender for RPG and overall game of the Year is here, and frankly there is little in the horizon that looks like it might compete with it. Five years from now when other games made by bigger companies are all forgotten in the $5 bargain bins of the world, many a gamer will be reinstalling this game to reminisce and fondly say: "yes, I played a game was this good in 2011, and it was glorious."
    Congratulations CDProject, you just released your first masterpiece.
  19. May 17, 2011
    A deep and engrossing role-playing experience. Makes use of skills in conversations and has engaging dialogue and choices and consequences. This may very well be GOTY 2011.
  20. May 17, 2011
    If one were to look at my past reviews they'd see that I'm reluctant to give a game a 10, even ones that I loved (Portal 2, for example). However, I had to make an exception for this absolute masterpiece of PC gaming. I can say without any doubt that the Witcher 2 is one of the greatest RPGs ever created, and CD Projekt Red have absolutely awed me with the quality of work they have putIf one were to look at my past reviews they'd see that I'm reluctant to give a game a 10, even ones that I loved (Portal 2, for example). However, I had to make an exception for this absolute masterpiece of PC gaming. I can say without any doubt that the Witcher 2 is one of the greatest RPGs ever created, and CD Projekt Red have absolutely awed me with the quality of work they have put into this game. Everything is perfect, from the intense combat, to the enormous living world, to the engaging story.. All of it has proven me wrong in thinking that amazing RPGs were simply not possible in this era of modern gaming. Any developer that seeks to make a quality RPG should take notes from the Witcher 2, and display the same amount of effort that this amazing company has in working to create such a masterpiece. CDPR has earned a life-long customer with me as a result of this title, and I'd strongly urge anyone on the fence in regards to purchasing this to do so. I can guarantee you will not regret it. Expand
  21. May 17, 2011
    One of the best RPG i have ever played. Much, much better, than Dragon Age II; interesting character development, choice-based plot, superb voice overs, great graphics combined with short load times, make this game a perfect buy, if you want to taste an RPG for grown-ups.
  22. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best RPG's what I played. What can I said? The Witcher is an awesome!!! Graphics are beauty, music and dialogs are perfect. A lot of comedy situation. And... Triss - this is the tigers love most!
    The Witcher 2 will be the game of the year 2011 - I'm sure!!!
  23. May 17, 2011
    Excellent game, and one of the best RPG experiences I've played since PS:Torment. Excellent graphics, with excellent story to hold you in. This is how you make a CRPG, if you were deeply disappointed with DA2, you won't be disappointed by this. I will say that the combat does have a bit of a learning curve, I regularly got my backside handed to me on normal. You won't get away withExcellent game, and one of the best RPG experiences I've played since PS:Torment. Excellent graphics, with excellent story to hold you in. This is how you make a CRPG, if you were deeply disappointed with DA2, you won't be disappointed by this. I will say that the combat does have a bit of a learning curve, I regularly got my backside handed to me on normal. You won't get away with simple hacking and slashing. A living world where your choices do make differences. Also, if you have any Witcher saves, you can import these. Which means I need to replay the Witcher again.

Even on my modest system(E5300, GTS450 w/4gb of ram), I can run this on high-ultra settings without much of a slowdown.
  24. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very fun and engaging game with lots of action and RPG elements, a must have for every RPG fan or gaming fan for that matters. Definitely a contender for best RPG of the year! And you got to love the hate from all the Bioware lovers. Expand
  25. May 17, 2011
    This game is probably GOTY of year 2011 in category of cRPG. Great writing, good combat mechanics, great gameplay whatsoever. Feels like good old cRPGs like Planescape or Baldurs Gate. Graphics are beautiful and the engine optimization is really great. There doesn't need to be character customization when there is a great story to be told. This game has great atmosphere and breathtakingThis game is probably GOTY of year 2011 in category of cRPG. Great writing, good combat mechanics, great gameplay whatsoever. Feels like good old cRPGs like Planescape or Baldurs Gate. Graphics are beautiful and the engine optimization is really great. There doesn't need to be character customization when there is a great story to be told. This game has great atmosphere and breathtaking world. Great improvement since Witcher 1, CD Projekt did a great job with this game. Probably one of the best cRPG in history of modern gaming in my opinion. Expand
  26. May 17, 2011
    Great game with a great storyline, amaizing graphics, interesting characters, good combat.

one of the best RPG games i have ever played.

screw DA 2 that game is not even worth to download its the worst pile of sh..t i have ever played and stop lowering the ratings u bioware pricks
  27. May 17, 2011
    M_Standard Obviously does not know what he is talking about, saying Dragon age 2 is a better game is like saying eating pile of crap is better then having a steak dinner.
    The Witcher 2 is one of the deepest and best RPG's of the past 10 years and with some many different options, amazing amounts of different paths you can take and of course the graphical beauty, I will honestly be amazed if it does not get game of the year 2011.
    If you love RPG's and you love gaming, get the Witcher 2, its worth it.
  28. May 17, 2011
    Absolutely awesome game. CDPR have outdone themselves with this one.
    One of the most beautiful looking games I've played. This game beats the pants off everything else in it's class.
  29. May 18, 2011
    One of the Best Games for PC this year so far, even when you look at heavyweights like Dragon age 2, Portal 2 o Crysis 2 , this game still manages to stand out, not only with its Graphics but with a Story and a gameplay that are simply refreshing, after so much hand-holding that we are getting used to in modern games, with so much tutorials, it´s good to get thrown against aOne of the Best Games for PC this year so far, even when you look at heavyweights like Dragon age 2, Portal 2 o Crysis 2 , this game still manages to stand out, not only with its Graphics but with a Story and a gameplay that are simply refreshing, after so much hand-holding that we are getting used to in modern games, with so much tutorials, it´s good to get thrown against a giant Dragon in the first 5 minutes of the game without knowing how to swing your sword, it makes me remember , how the first hour of Demon´s Souls was, Not an easy game, If you are looking for something different, something beautiful, or something to just test your Rig, stop looking. Expand
  30. May 17, 2011
    Same price across regions? Check
    Free DLC forever? Check

CD Projekt is the anti-EA/Bioware
  31. May 17, 2011
    An absolute triumph in the art of RPG storytelling. By far the most compelling characters, boldest storytelling, and most enjoyable combat in any RPG designed to date. Look on and despair, Bethesda, for the RPG of the Year won't be yours this time. While EA has made a few blunders in the marketing of this superb game, that does not detract from CD Projeckt's mastery of game design. I'm aAn absolute triumph in the art of RPG storytelling. By far the most compelling characters, boldest storytelling, and most enjoyable combat in any RPG designed to date. Look on and despair, Bethesda, for the RPG of the Year won't be yours this time. While EA has made a few blunders in the marketing of this superb game, that does not detract from CD Projeckt's mastery of game design. I'm a long time fan of RPGs in general and CD Projeckt in particular as a master of the genre, and this is certainly one of my favourites. If you enjoy good RPGs, mature stories that don't insult your intelligence, wonderfully human fleshed-out characters, and engaging combat, this is the baby for you. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011