8.5

1. Jul 9, 2017
    The second part is shorter then others, but it's left a good aftertaste. You must play in it at least because of the main antagonist - Letho. I am serious, i'm played in this game only to meet him and talk with, that's how developers should to make the characters. A charismatic, also beautiful, ohh, i want him! Yes, the open world is not fully open, but it doesn't make the game bad,The second part is shorter then others, but it's left a good aftertaste. You must play in it at least because of the main antagonist - Letho. I am serious, i'm played in this game only to meet him and talk with, that's how developers should to make the characters. A charismatic, also beautiful, ohh, i want him! Yes, the open world is not fully open, but it doesn't make the game bad, because freedom of possibles is still here - you're still can speak with anyone and do what you want. Also there is a continuation discuss of evil and kindness, of racism and justness. In story part the second part of the Witcher is better then first(and technically too, and it's include the comfortable control). This is the huge step forward after the first Witcher, and i recommend you to try this one at least for meet Letho.^^ Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2017
    Talk about the animations, lvl design, voice acting, combat, crafting, missions, music, and the story oh boy so amazing not only in the main missions but also side quests has amazing stories to em.

I am totally blown away in every possible way. I finished the game to 100%. Did not leave a single quest unfinished in the game.
  3. Mar 21, 2017
    can not recommend. i was happy to know it is only half the time of the first installment. but after 8 hrs it did come to the point where i did not want to continue. witcher 1 did take me around 20 hrs to give up.
    at first glance it was the clunky gameplay i did think but now i realize it is the low amount of fantasy in the game. you are talking to humans most of the time. the elves... pointy eared humans. dwarves... short humans. the enemy types are generic and simply just boring to fight. totally fine to forget. the presentation reminds my of a rpg in the dark ages of europe with some boring(!) fantasy thrown in. i like fantasy but i do not like the world of the witcher. the fantasy aspect is too low for me to be interested into this talking simulation. no story to visualize but lots of talk. the story could be one of a 2 parts tv movie with some minor fantasy effects for good measures. sorry, it is very boring to me. the story does not catch me at all. unepic soap opera medieval times. gameplay slightly better than first witcher but still... climbing gives me headaches, no jumping, invisible walls, wanted posters next to gates i unintentionally click all the time, messy to center objects... makes me bugged to think of. good graphics, flawed gameplay, lame story/world. i really struggled with W1 and was very disappointed with this game.
  4. Mar 4, 2017
    It's not that good as the first one but it's still a great game.
    It's maybe too short.
    The best character is Iorweth, I really miss him in third game.
    The story is good because of Letho.
  5. Jan 29, 2017
    I fell in love with Witcher 3 so I decided to try Witcher 2 and bought on the christmas sale. Good thing about the Witcher 2 that it cost me only 4 eur. This game sucks in so many points but the most disappointing is the combat.
    1) You cannot block - you still receive damage
    2) You cannot dodge - you still got damage 3) The only way to avoid the damage is click your opponent to death
    1) You cannot block - you still receive damage
    2) You cannot dodge - you still got damage
    3) The only way to avoid the damage is click your opponent to death who first hit - wins! But it did not work if you face more than 1 enemy and it is most of the time
    4) Another way to avoid the damage is to run! So the best tactic is hit and run.
    5) You still can manage several opponents but not due to your skills but due to the stupidity of the enemy AI while others are stucked somewhere you can kill 1 enemy using button mashing.
    So if you missed the Witcher 2 and wanted to try after you played Witcher 3 do not do it, you will be dissapointed.
  6. Jan 10, 2017
    Hands down one of the best, most challenging RPGs I've ever played. Captivating story, engaging characters, gray choices; this game intended for thinking adults has it all.
  7. Jan 8, 2017
    Playability (or lack of it) ruins a game with a good story that I wanted to follow. I don't know how many times I had to climb down ladders I climbed up by accident. There is quite a bit of senseless running around on the side quests. And the inventory is a UI nightmare. Let's show the stats of items (weight, price) of items on the list except of the item that the player select, then thePlayability (or lack of it) ruins a game with a good story that I wanted to follow. I don't know how many times I had to climb down ladders I climbed up by accident. There is quite a bit of senseless running around on the side quests. And the inventory is a UI nightmare. Let's show the stats of items (weight, price) of items on the list except of the item that the player select, then the stats are dropped below the inventory list. Written like this that sounds crazy, right? But that how it is.. Expand
  8. Jan 5, 2017
    Let me start off by saying that I really REALLY wanted to like this game. I played it from start to finish, I did 99% of the side quests, I really tried getting into it's story and characters and lore but it's mediocrity threw it all away.

Cons: -Weak characters: None have sparked any value or interest whatsoever. Throughout the whole game I couldn't give two sh*ts about Letho and

Cons:

-Weak characters: None have sparked any value or interest whatsoever. Throughout the whole game I couldn't give two sh*ts about Letho and his crappy backstory. The only characters I actually ended up caring for were Geralt, Triss & Roche because the rest seemed so generic and expendable (yes, even Letho).

-Weak story: Little to no interesting events: kill a giant monster in Flotsam, chase Letho & Triss, lift that bloody boring curse from Henselt's and then have your final clash with Letho.

-Boring zones: I actually enjoyed Chapter 1 because it was the only time in this game when I actually felt immersed into the world UNTIL I hit chapter 2 & 3. Running around that war camp and afterwards in Loc Muinne felt like torture. I dreaded every second of it because the surrounding areas were so dull and lifeless. It felt like time had stopped and there was nothing going around, no ambience music or sounds, nothing. Both Loc Muinne and the war camp felt dead with barely any NPC movement around.

-No open world: Sure you may be allowed to free roam the available zones but everything felt so enclosed and small. It literally felt like those levels you had in the first Doom games where you had to finish a certain objective to unlock the next level and NOT the next quest.

-Lack of gameplay depth: You have access to a crafting system which allows you to create potions, weapons, armors and enchantments for those. I have to say that I only used these maybe 3-4 times (only to craft the best items) throughout the whole game while playing on Hard and I was OP enough to eat hits like a punching bag without dying too quickly. Take a look at Skyrim's crafting system and tell me that it's not better than what we got in Witcher 2.

-Oversimplified combat: Left click, right click, occasionally press Q to cast a spell and roll like we're playing Dark Souls all over again. There is your combat in Witcher 2.

-Horrible animations: if there is one thing I truly despised in this game it's got to be the animations. Every second I spent playing this game felt like I was back playing something close to Morrowind and not something that came out in 2011.

Pros:

Great protagonist: It was hard to find a pro point for this game, but I can't deny the fact that Geralt is one bad-ass son of a bi*ch. I enjoyed slaying monsters as him and I am definitely looking forward to try out The Witcher 3.
  9. Dec 30, 2016
    Est juego mejora bastante el sistema de lucha y a pesar de que achica el arbol de habilidades a la hora de subir de nivel, no lo simplifica, pues tiene gran cantidad de contenido para armar a tu brujo como mas te guste.
    Es un gran juego en todos los aspectos, y si hay una razon por la cual no le doy un 10, es porque pide demasiada placa de video, es cierto que tiene una calidad grafica muy destacable, pero estoy seguro de que pide mas placa de video de la que en verdad necesita.
  10. Dec 23, 2016
    Still a great game almost 6 years later. Has its age and limitations, but in the atmosphere, storyline, character design and things like that, it is unmatched, even by Witcher 3 that did many great things but many strange things too. Witcher 2 is more consistent and polished. Definitely one of those games I will always remember and come back to them once per few years with a smile on face.
  11. Dec 21, 2016
    Key: 1 = Poor, 3 = Average, 5 = Great

Graphics 5
    Audio 5
    Characters 5
    Story 5
    Controls 5
    Intuitiveness 5

One of the best stories I've experienced and I fell in love with the characters.
  12. Dec 14, 2016
    PRO:-Great combat even though e little bit stiff
    -Great voice acting
    -Amazing characters
    -Replay value
    -Great story
    -Amazing graphics for the time
    -Good soundtrack
    CON:-Like i said a little bit stiff and i dont like that
    -Not really good end boss battle its not easy but just the same tactic you use for the previous boss
    -Fairly short for an RPG
  13. Oct 5, 2016
    One of the few games that I instantly played a second time, just because the second playthrough will feel completely different depending on your decisions. The graphics are amazing, the atmosphere in the forest of chapter one is amazing, probably the best forest I ever saw in a video game.
  14. Sep 9, 2016
    The most overrated of the Witcher series.The first Witcher which i enjoyed back when it was released, was a very good but flawed gem. Witcher 3 is probably the best RPG yet. But Witcher 2, is overrated.

This game was praised a lot for its graphics and story. Both are really great. But as a game, this is poor. Gameplay is boring. Combat system is among the worst ever. Roll and roll

Gameplay is boring. Combat system is among the worst ever. Roll and roll with the occasional Quen sign and some mouse clicks. Boring.

The maps are really small, and the gameplay is really just busywork in between the story segments.

Alchemy is useless, magic aside Quen is not really useful.

There enemy AI is braindead, and playing in higher difficulties just makes the enemies HP sponges and the bosses like the Kraken, a cancer.

I am sorry, but this is a video game, not an interactive novel, and as a game it is just not very good.

The story is still stellar, and the graphics are awesome. And you will enjoy Witcher 3 much more if you complete this as well.

2 options exist, either watch a "movie version" of the story on Youtube, or play in this on the easiest difficulty setting, just for the story. The game, as a video game, is overrated. I typically use "extreme" ratings for overrated or underrated games, but since this is the Witcher series, one of my favourites, i am biased, so i will give it the rating it deserves, 7/10. Don't let that score fool you though, you definitely need to watch or play this once, in any case, despite its flaws.
  15. Aug 24, 2016
    This game is a complete masterpiece, one of the greatest games of all time. Stunning graphics, absolutely heart warming campaign with endless potential for DLC. Great game, cannot recommend more.
  16. Aug 13, 2016
    Overrated. Is a simple Action/ Hack'n'Slas sold as an RPG, mistakenly. Too often frustrating, nice quests, but nothing intriguing, beautiful main story, but remains just that, in the midst of a thousand cutscenes. Just sufficient.
  17. Jul 30, 2016
    Good story elements ruined by weak gameplay. The combat in this game is atrocious almost as bad as Demon Souls. Its not hard at all (I started, like always, at the highest difficulty; in this case Dark Mode), but it is cheaply made and very poorly implemented thus you die a lot not due to lack of skill but due to the poor design and just bad luck. This is not how RPG's are supposed toGood story elements ruined by weak gameplay. The combat in this game is atrocious almost as bad as Demon Souls. Its not hard at all (I started, like always, at the highest difficulty; in this case Dark Mode), but it is cheaply made and very poorly implemented thus you die a lot not due to lack of skill but due to the poor design and just bad luck. This is not how RPG's are supposed to play. If I wanted luck I would go to a casino.

The biggest problem is the auto-target functionality which likes to switch enemies on a whim. So there you are trying to engage one enemy but at the very last moment a different enemy gets closer to you and auto-targeting switches to the new enemy before you know it happened. Since Geralt is a dancing fool, he will do a double twirl towards the new target, exposing his back to the 1st enemy, who takes a lucky swings and kills you in 1 hit. This happened to me at least a dozen times in act 1 until I finally stopped engaging groups and fought them from far away using weak lunges and range weapons (daggers, bombs, traps etc). The problem is that this way of fighting is plain cheap and boring because once you realize how easy it is to kill everything with bombs, it becomes like a "I win" button.

Next the close angle over the shoulder camera is retarded. There you are fighting an enemy and you decide to roll to avoid a hit and whooops.... you encounter the dreaded tree branch! Oh great now there is something blocking 75% of the screen. No problem I will just roll back where I came from... nope cant do that because the enemy follows you and he has an HUGE invisible collision box which blocks your path. Okay so Ill take a chance and roll left... oh oh... its the dreaded 2 inch high tree root with a collision box the size of Detroit... you apparently cannot dive above that little root and instead you hit an invisible wall and the enemy nonchalantly walks up to you (laughing the entire way), looks at you funny for 2 seconds, then lazily stabs you in the neck. Cheap death.

Next you have the ultimate stupidity... all the rolling and twirling. It works ok if you lunge from range then roll back but say you just want to quickly stab someone standing 2 inches in front of you. The enemy has their back turned to you so you figure just a quick back stab is perfect but NO! Geralt decides to do a double somersault 1st because... you know... you dont want to make things too easy... and of course, by the time you do all the ballerina twirls the enemy had had time to turn and you can no longer back-stab so you dive back away before a different enemy back-stabs you...

Horrible gameplay. Once you adjust the combat becomes trivially easy but boring because it is so limited.

Now the good news. The story elements are very good. The story makes sense, the conversations are good, the voice acting is good, and your decisions really do make a difference. I really wanted to progress to see what happens and I really hated some characters (in the good way) and liked some others.

The RPG character build elements are also ok but very limited. There are only 3 trees to pick from but really there are only 2 since the entire Alchemy tree can be reduced to the 1st selection on the left, the one that double the damage from bombs and traps (its the only one you need from that tree and only costs 2 points). There is a mage tree that improves the few spells you have and a combat tree which offers better defense (helpful since combat is so bad) and improve offense. I would prefer more options for gameplay myself with more customization options but thats just me.
  18. Jul 25, 2016
    A little bit better then the first one because of the new Combat System, but not realy a great overhaul.
    The Dialoges are to long , and the Story are very lame and boring.
    I think it where better they made a movie and not a game.
  19. Jul 17, 2016
    I don't get the hype. You play as a freak who tries to clean up his name and prove that he is a good guy....but yet on your way to escape in order to proceed you have to kill dozens of guards who were just doing their job. The main story is too dark uninteresting and frustrating....and the game bombards you with tons of insignificant information and boring side quests making you lose trackI don't get the hype. You play as a freak who tries to clean up his name and prove that he is a good guy....but yet on your way to escape in order to proceed you have to kill dozens of guards who were just doing their job. The main story is too dark uninteresting and frustrating....and the game bombards you with tons of insignificant information and boring side quests making you lose track of what you are actually trying to accomplish. And this happened to me all the time wandering around without having a clue what I am doing.
    Inventory is frustrating you have a bad overview of your items gear and combat is just a click fest and some rolling to avoid incoming strikes. Language is difficult for non native speakers and you need to stop and search at wiki to understand whats really going on. Music and graphics are good perhaps too good for such an empty title. After ca. 2h uninstalled it.
  20. Jul 11, 2016
    A really cool fantasy rpg game with great mechanics and interesting story.

This is a really well put together CRPG where you control Geralt of Rivia - the Witcher. Unlike the first instalment which I just couldn't bear this one both looks and plays great. The combat system is really good - a bit of dexterity and strategy is required to perform. The combination is just right. You need
    A really cool fantasy rpg game with great mechanics and interesting story.

The combat system is really good - a bit of dexterity and strategy is required to perform. The combination is just right. You need to keep in mind which sword you use - iron for humans and silver for monsters. The signs in certain situation prove a great help while in others are pretty useless. The use of potions also adds to the strategy level of the combat. It's not just mouse clicker - where you select enemy and click constantly. You need to dodge, use throwables and time your attacks just right. This is probably the best part of the game.

The story is really good and makes you care about the choices you do make. I'm not a fan though of the Sapkowski world entirely - some dialogues do break the character of the setting and make you remember this is a game (i.e. when elf says "Piece of lembass" and shrugs it when asked for details). This is not the game developers fault but the witcher author and it is just something that doesn't feel right for me - other people might and probably have different opinion.

Voice acting is well done, although a bit too vulgar in my opinion - but again that is witcher's novels trademark so I can't blame game developers for it.

The levelling up system does provide quite a few options. Shame the game does not have enough content to upgrade everything. But that makes for interesting choices.

Overall really did enjoy the game and it's story. Would without problem recommend this title to any cRPG enthusiast.
  21. Jul 10, 2016
    Che gioco fantastico. Storia meravigliosa, che spinge a rigiocare il titolo almeno una volta. Ambientazione cupa e cruda, colonna sonora spettacolare. Gameplay con qualche difetto (alcune boss battle, da giocare essenzialmente rollando come pazzi), ma per il resto soddisfacente. Voice acting FAVOLOSO.
  22. Jun 16, 2016
    The Witcher 2 is a fantastic sequel to the first game and an overall great RPG.

This game has one of the most interesting stories I've seen. It will make question your own motives both as a player and as a person when confronted with the difficult choices the game presents you. The combat system has been completely remodelled resulting in more interesting and harder sword fights.
    The Witcher 2 is a fantastic sequel to the first game and an overall great RPG.

It has its flaws though, some rare glitches and the not so rare crash.

In spite of its minor issues I highly recommend any RPG fan to give The Witcher series a try :).
  23. Jun 15, 2016
    The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is amazing videogame with interesting story, good graphics (too light) and excellent training, but in this game many minus eg very light graphics which the cuts eyes or many cutscenes, but pluses in this game much too eg amazing storyline, awesome subjects, excellent training, gameplay is much fun, but Witcher III is better than The Witcher II and I notThe Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is amazing videogame with interesting story, good graphics (too light) and excellent training, but in this game many minus eg very light graphics which the cuts eyes or many cutscenes, but pluses in this game much too eg amazing storyline, awesome subjects, excellent training, gameplay is much fun, but Witcher III is better than The Witcher II and I not really like Witcher and in this series I really like Witcher III, but I not really like Witcher II and I played in Witcher 2 and 3, but I don't played first Witcher . Wicher II is good game . Expand
  24. Jun 1, 2016
    The best game I played so far. Full of action and really important decisions. Your decisions really matters in the end and to the next series. Dialogues and immersion are the cream of the top!!
  25. Jun 1, 2016
    The graphic is still very good. The atmosphere is amazing. The story is brilliant. Gerald is unforgatable. In my opinion the game has only one fault, i missed fight system from the previous episode. I really liked it. My favourite RPG game is witcher trilogy
  26. May 31, 2016
    Immersive. The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings is one of those games that you'd really feel getting into. The protagonist and other characters are great, the voice acting is fantastic -- it's action-packed and offers a great story experience. But too much of one thing sometimes kills; as the game is clustered with excessive exploration, dialogues, and puzzles - it ruins the flow of the game.
  27. May 13, 2016
    I feel like this game doesn't get nearly enough love. Is it perfect? No. Does it feel like a short bridge between Witcher 1 and Witcher 3? Yes. But it is a thoroughly enjoyable experience. If you like Witcher 3's story. Buy this. It still looks amazing, despite coming out in 2011. It's just a good game. Not a masterpiece like the Witcher 3, but a great game that you will probably spend aI feel like this game doesn't get nearly enough love. Is it perfect? No. Does it feel like a short bridge between Witcher 1 and Witcher 3? Yes. But it is a thoroughly enjoyable experience. If you like Witcher 3's story. Buy this. It still looks amazing, despite coming out in 2011. It's just a good game. Not a masterpiece like the Witcher 3, but a great game that you will probably spend a good time enjoying. Plus it's practically two games in one because one decision you make in the game changes nearly all the quests in the second chapter. Damn good stuff! Expand
  28. May 9, 2016
    The epic scale of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is remarkable, but it's the power of choice in an unrelentingly ugly world that makes it unforgettable. Moral ambiguity has never been so powerfully presented: the decisions you make actually matter, and the outcomes are often unforeseeable and rarely as good as you'd hope.

One of the most impressive things about The Witcher 2 is the

One of the most impressive things about The Witcher 2 is the way it blends two very distinct experiences. Early in the game, Geralt must make a choice that will take him down one of two separate paths, each offering a completely different perspective on the game's events. If you want to see it all, you'll have to play it twice—and there's more than enough to make it a worthwhile effort.

You might expect all your toil and trouble to eventually lead to a just and happy ending for all, but it won't. Geralt isn't a hero; he's really not much more than a bystander, trying to protect what little he has from the chaos that surrounds him. His quest is entirely personal, driven forward by a colorful, occasionally bizarre and surprisingly believable cast of characters that really brings the game alive. Geralt works alone, but he feels more like "one among many" than the savior-protagonists of other party-based RPGs, and its one of the aspect that makes The Witcher unique.

It's a fantastic and well-told tale, layered over very solid mechanical underpinnings: A flexible character development system, glorious eye candy, intense combat and more than enough secondary content to camouflage its linear nature. It's dark, it's dirty, it's sometimes flat-out depressing -and it's brilliant.
  29. Mar 25, 2016
    Well, after I had read all of the books, i'm keeping get disappointed about loose adaptation. But the disappointment through the rate 6/10 regards poor optimization, flat characters (beside the witcher and Triss) and more important few localizations that are small. The characters appear where they want, lots of bugs despite the fact the game was released over 5 years ago. On the other handWell, after I had read all of the books, i'm keeping get disappointed about loose adaptation. But the disappointment through the rate 6/10 regards poor optimization, flat characters (beside the witcher and Triss) and more important few localizations that are small. The characters appear where they want, lots of bugs despite the fact the game was released over 5 years ago. On the other hand I'm proud of good voice acting, great fight feeling and interesting story. Expand
  30. Feb 29, 2016
    Slightly shorter then the first Witcher yet more satisfying. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings expands off the first game evolving in many ways and creating a more enjoyable game. Ill cover some of the positive changes and some negative ones through the review while also covering the topics I generally do.

Story: Spanning over 3 chapters and a Epilogue you are continuing off the ending of the Witcher. Each chapter is perfectly paced, but takes a huge drop on the amount of quests. Compared to the first game having numerous contracts and side quests to contend with the main story, you only have 3-4 side quests each chapter. With the downside of lacking side material, the main story is involving enough for it to not really matter. Making you want to keep pushing the main story forward. Along the story you are presented with a handful of choices giving the series a boost to replay value.

Gameplay: Have to throw first mention to the combat overhaul. A completely different combat system to the first game, yet it infuriates me. Combat has such a difficulty curve from the start. You are presented with all these options of different signs but only 1 stands out above the rest and becomes the only viable option if you wish to push on. Shield and roll, roll roll roll and roll. You also have to be mindful when rolling because you can block yourself into a corner and be destroyed into oblivion. At one point I was fighting a golem and had it one hit away from death, a miss judged roll landed me into a corner and the stoned behemoth did a rush attack into me and kept me there. Slamming my face into the ground over and over again. Was not pretty.
    Alchemy, potions, herbs, crafting. All that is present again for the Witcher to indulge in but you are restricted to a inventory weight limit. Things stack up quickly and prevent you from hoarding materials. Having to meditate before you can drink potions was aggravating. Couple of situations when I needed that vitality boost and couldn't use my stash in combat.
    Arm wrestling = Stupid. Dice Poker = Fun. They also changed how the fist fighting works. No longer is it challenging and fun. It now switched to a simply one button command when prompted, removing any sense of difficulty. Granted the moves Geralt performs during the fights are entertaining to watch.
  31. Feb 17, 2016
    A really awesome RPG that everyone should play. The Witcher 2 is a very enjoyable game and a solid entry to the franchise. It has a complex, fun gameplay and a great story. And it's visuals are amazing.
  32. Rem
    Jan 23, 2016
    The Witcher 2, in many aspects, puts hardcore back into the rpg while simultaneously offering a vastly replayable game set in a dark fantasy world. The story of Geralt, a master monster slayer, is one rife with politics, adult themes, and intrigue. Right at the start the writing is stellar and written very well. No single character is an archetype, and everyone has a motive that may or mayThe Witcher 2, in many aspects, puts hardcore back into the rpg while simultaneously offering a vastly replayable game set in a dark fantasy world. The story of Geralt, a master monster slayer, is one rife with politics, adult themes, and intrigue. Right at the start the writing is stellar and written very well. No single character is an archetype, and everyone has a motive that may or may not help you. The element of choice surpasses even today's standards as a decision literally at the beginning of the game could literally send you down one of two vastly different paths throughout the rest of this 40+ hour adventure. This is also no game for children as topics of rape, murder, assassination, and torture are only some of the more mild ones, it makes other similarly rated mature games look like Disney films. Accompanying this game is a dynamic combat system that can swing both ways depending how far you get into the game. If you quit the game rather early, you would've had the impression that this game was frustrating and unforgiving. But the true fun lies with preparing for your battles through potions and reading up on enemy tactics. While not stellar and ultra responsive, the combat of using two swords and a dark souls-esque is welcome over the more vanilla combat system of the first Witcher game. With all I've said you would imagine The Witcher 2 to be a near flawless game but some real flaws hold the game back from achieving real greatness. For one the game is absolutely stunning as in it still makes the PCs of today work to run it even on high. Even then the game overkills with bloom effectively conveying a very fantasy tone but to me it looks rather odd. But among the most frustrating is the inventory and a lack of tutorial. The inventory at best is cumbersome and unintuitive. You'll eventually get used to it, but for the first few hours it can be a nightmare to handle. And the potion system for the most part is an integral part but without knowing what enemies you might face next, it becomes impossible to determine which potion you need for the next fight since you can only take them out of combat through meditation.
    combine this with the lack of a fast travel system and you have a recipe for a bevy of problems that only irritate players. But for the most part, The Witcher 2 is an adult game that respects player choice and is a strong rpg in its own right and of 2011.
  33. Jan 21, 2016
    This was my second favorite RPG of all time, after Mass Effect 2, now after The Witcher 3, it has gone down to third. One of the things that i like the most about this game, was once more, the Storytelling and the writing itself, the dialogue, and situations, are probably thing that would make Andrzej proud. I just love this game as a hole, and once again, its biggest problem, is itsThis was my second favorite RPG of all time, after Mass Effect 2, now after The Witcher 3, it has gone down to third. One of the things that i like the most about this game, was once more, the Storytelling and the writing itself, the dialogue, and situations, are probably thing that would make Andrzej proud. I just love this game as a hole, and once again, its biggest problem, is its difficulty, because fighting a **** KRAKEN in the first 5 hours isn"t that fun when you have to die a lot... But since it's not has OP has the first one, is quite nice that i can play it just dying like, less times than the first one. 10/10 Expand
  34. Jan 12, 2016
    Say what you will about a game's graphics, its story, its music, or its characters. If the gameplay is bad, the game is bad. This is a bad game. The combat is clunky and awful. The menu's are a chore to use, looting requires you to fiddle around with your character until you stand one the one precise pixel that'll allow the game to pick up your loot. Ultimately the game is far moreSay what you will about a game's graphics, its story, its music, or its characters. If the gameplay is bad, the game is bad. This is a bad game. The combat is clunky and awful. The menu's are a chore to use, looting requires you to fiddle around with your character until you stand one the one precise pixel that'll allow the game to pick up your loot. Ultimately the game is far more annoying than it is enjoyable Expand
  35. Jan 2, 2016
    Excellent story with great graphics and good combat. Very dark Atmosphere.

Graphics: 10
    Game play : 8
    Combat: 8
    World Design: 9
    Content: 9
    Immersion: 9
    Story: 10
  36. Dec 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a fan of the Witcher series since I've read the books back in 2005 or so (and this fact really helped enjoy the game better) however even if you haven't read the books - this is a very good RPG in itself.

The pros:
    + Excellent graphics. Slightly different than in Witcher-1, and generally a bit better, as expected of a newer game.
    + The combat system got improves since Witcher 1 - here it is MUCH more dynamic. No more click-rythm, instead you have to evade, block, and counterattack within tight moments after enemy attacks - to win a fight. It has a pretty good learning curve.
    + In general - the game is quite difficult, even on Medium, and that's after having beaten Witcher-1 relatively easily.
    + The nice "dark fantasy" world remains. Elves get racially discriminated against, town guards take drugs as bribes, and use said drugs... Witches are trying to survive the ignorant mod that fears and hates them.
    + Triss. Deserves an individual notion :-) From the start to the finish of W-2, there's more interaction with her here than in Witcher-1, where she was just one of many interactable characters.
    + Interesting characters in general. Each has personality. They are explored more than in W-1.
    + No "good vs. evil" - just a lot of people (and other creatures) with their conflicting goals, feels and wants.
    + With the above said - often you can decide who to help and how to judge those around you. You even decide whether a king gets to live or not!
    + Not a lot of grinding, if any, for better gear. In fact you start out with quite decent gear: a Witcher's Steel and Silver sword, and not until quite late in the game can you find a weapon that's better.
    + No **** quests like "go hunt 10 squirrels and bring me the furs". Most quests are backed with a story that something really bad happened, and only a Witcher can help the person in need.
    + The quests feel on-the-spot, relevant to the situation. So unlike Commander Shepard saving the galaxy, and then being told to deal with some scumbags that stole something from a merchant, or the Inquisitor in Dragon Age looking for a lost cow.

Cons:
    - Importing a save from Witcher-1 has minimal impact. Your imported weapons that were superior to anything in W-1 are there but they are inferior to many footsoldier weapons, for example. Same goes for your crafted Raven Armor. Didn't notice much plot contect that was linked back to W-1.
    - The locations aren't big. In fact they are kinda small.
    - Many rocks and static objects were copy-pasted around the levels in the most shameless way.
    - Can't jump/retreat during combat.
    - Often combat is initiated by a cutscene that puts you in a bad position. Sometimes you can tell what's gonna happen and wish you had control of the character, but no.
    - The cutscenes where you do have some limited control of the character - suck even more, because you have to do something, but can't do what you normally wanna do, and are forced to figure out what the heck does this particular cutscene wants you to click and when. Ugh!
    - Potions last 10 or 20 minutes of ingame time. No more long-term buffs.
    - Balance issue: the fire spell Igni is so overpowered that, once maxed out - turns into some Infernal Flamethrower of Doom that can be used as your sole weapon at defeating ANY and all enemies, including bosses. This pretty much defeats the purpose of learning to use the sword effectively - which is very challenging in a good way.
    - Unless you do side quests a lot - the game feels much shorter than W-1. High diversity of replayability though - depending on which side you choose the playthrough can be very different.

But overall the cons are minor, and this is a great game, highly recommend to both fans of the Witcher world, as well as people looking for a good RPG in general!
  37. Dec 21, 2015
    One of the best games ever made. Has an incredible cast of characters in a well woven story, this story will intrigue you and motivate you through the entire game. The combat is quite good and a nice change from the rhythmic pace of the Witcher 1. You need to play this game, it is a masterpiece and has an incredible soundtrack
  38. Dec 21, 2015
    This game is amazing. Worth of every coin spent on it. The graphics are really good for DX9 and the dialogues, combat, leveling system are perfect for a RPG of 2011. This game is worth of the GOTY award.
  39. Dec 19, 2015
    Finally I'm not feeling like a mature woman playing with her children's toys! This game treats you like an adult, sentient being unlike Bethesda's works. Amazing immersive non-linear story where your choices MATTER. Thankfully eastern Europe countries are not sexuophobic like the USA and sex is treated as it should be, just a part of life. The game has technical issues, a messy inventoryFinally I'm not feeling like a mature woman playing with her children's toys! This game treats you like an adult, sentient being unlike Bethesda's works. Amazing immersive non-linear story where your choices MATTER. Thankfully eastern Europe countries are not sexuophobic like the USA and sex is treated as it should be, just a part of life. The game has technical issues, a messy inventory and an almost useless map but I don't care, I'm finally feeling like my intelligence is RESPECTED. Thank you. Expand
  40. Nov 9, 2015
    Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings may or may not be your kind of game. While it is labeled as an RPG, I think is a good action game with some RPG elements

The graphics are impressive, detailed and surpass that of RPGs like Skyrim. The animations are well done and characters have more personality. The world is immersive and feels alive. Lighting does also a good job. Sound: this area, I

Sound: this area, I believe is one of the key features. Voice actors do a great job, the music is great, the environment is alive with people, animals, water etc. In combat, the sound is also very impressive; you feel you are in the middle of it.

The story is not mind-blowing but good enough to keep you playing. To tell the truth I have not read the books and perhaps that would help to enjoy the game story more.

Gameplay: for an RPG (or an action RPG for that matter), I find the game a bit restricting. You are Geralt, the protagonist; you have to stick with the character. Yes, you can choose to use magic and swords; you can use alchemy, you can improve your stats as you level up. However, to me, an RPG is about the character I want to create with its strengths and flaws. Then you can describe this game as an action RPG, but even in games like Diablo or Path of Exile you can build up your character the way you want with multiple paths of progression.

The Witcher is more like a story driven semi-RPG, with a well told story through NPCs, visions and memory flashbacks from Geralt (cliché memory loss RPG style). Anyway, you find interesting characters like Roche, Triss and the nemesis of Geralt, another Witcher who is a king slayer. Yes, the story revolves around you as Geralt hunting down the king-slayer, who killed the king you were supposed to protect, and in the process you were framed for the murder.

Combat is the focus of this game and, to me, who is more used to TES games, I find the combat hard but dynamic. It’s an action RPG and therefore combat is the strength of the game. Nevertheless, sometimes I found that using the sings were not responsive as I would have liked. If you played Diablo or Path of Exile you may know what I mean, powers and magic should be very responsive, especially when confronting lots of enemies at once. This does not matter if you play easy mode, but in harder difficulties things can get a bit messy.

When in combat you should be careful to avoid being surrounded. Geralt performs rolls to evade incoming hits and they will help you to survive multiple enemies at once or attacks from powerful bosses. Timing your attacks is also key to hit opponents at the right time to do damage. When blocking you have also the chance to counterattack and deal more damage.

Alchemy is a hit and miss. You can make potions by collecting various ingredients in the world (plants and defeated monsters for instance). However, the game does not "tell" you when to drink potions. You should anticipate combat to drink potions, and since you have to meditate to drink potions (or prepare them) I feel it is a bit of an immersion breaking. It may be a "realistic" thing that you have to drink potions before battle and not during a fight.

Even though the world is impressive in terms of graphics, sound and immersion, you are not free to explore it. You are confined to the story-driven scenario. You will find multiple invisible walls.

And then you have the damn quick time events. Fistfight, arm-wrestling are the QTE “mini-games”. Even in boss fights you have to rely on QTEs.

All in all the Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an enjoyable action game with some roleplaying mechanics. To me, Is more an action game than an RPG. You do not actually role-play, you play as Geralt. The world is not free to explore. The roleplaying element is basically in the way you response to certain scripted situations and dialogues. You make decisions and explore a bit when and where the game wants, not when you want. Even combat happens when the game sets up the scene, you do not go and look for a fight.

So, yes, Witcher 2 is a good and enjoyable action hack and slash game, but if you want an RPG (or an action RPG game for that matter) with the full meaning of it, you won’t find it here.
  41. Nov 7, 2015
    The witcher 2 has a relatively short but excellent story. The combat system and majority of the gameplay elements are absolute trash unfortunately. Frivolous and useless combat and spells, poor animations that are out of sync with the combat so badly that you'll want to throw the game in the garbage. Even worse is the miserable boss battles where you can die in literally 1 hit with noThe witcher 2 has a relatively short but excellent story. The combat system and majority of the gameplay elements are absolute trash unfortunately. Frivolous and useless combat and spells, poor animations that are out of sync with the combat so badly that you'll want to throw the game in the garbage. Even worse is the miserable boss battles where you can die in literally 1 hit with no warning. Storyline is worth it though. I only wish the game developers who bastardized the combat and side quests, **** die. Expand
  42. Nov 6, 2015
    I wanted to try this game out after finishing "The Witcher 3 - Hearts of Stone" and I guess it would have been better the other way. This game feels uncomfortable, quite limited and from a technical point of view a bit clunky. While I can imagine that the story is quite well converted and the dialogs are already quite vivid, it might fail for me because of several trifles. If you can comeI wanted to try this game out after finishing "The Witcher 3 - Hearts of Stone" and I guess it would have been better the other way. This game feels uncomfortable, quite limited and from a technical point of view a bit clunky. While I can imagine that the story is quite well converted and the dialogs are already quite vivid, it might fail for me because of several trifles. If you can come over all this redundant obstacles you might enjoy it, for my part I cannot and therefore I would not recommend this game after having played the newest title. Expand
  43. Nov 3, 2015
    This game has a lot going for it: excellent writing, cinematic set pieces, well-crafted and absorbing game world, and of course I'm a big fan of the novels. Unfortunately, it fails miserably at "fun" and takes a hard right at frustrating boulevard. The controls in combat are highly unresponsive, with Geralt standing there like a **** while you're slamming the dodge keys, or worse yet,This game has a lot going for it: excellent writing, cinematic set pieces, well-crafted and absorbing game world, and of course I'm a big fan of the novels. Unfortunately, it fails miserably at "fun" and takes a hard right at frustrating boulevard. The controls in combat are highly unresponsive, with Geralt standing there like a **** while you're slamming the dodge keys, or worse yet, dodges in the opposite direction to which you pressed, heroically jumping into an enemy blade. He also often gets stuck on bits of scenery that are a good five feet away from him, and he does this annoying little pause after casting a spell as if to admire his handiwork. A lot of the mini-game mechanics are broken too; with sneaking you'll hear "we cut of the hands of thieves here" so often you'll shatter your teeth in frustration. It's a pity, because with just a little more work and balancing this could have been a truly excellent game. Expand
  44. Oct 8, 2015
    While not perfect, Witcher 2 is way ahead of most games ever made.

Pros - Interactive action adventure, many ways to play and your choices influence the story - Amazing soundtrack - Amazing graphics - Amazing characters - Great story. Cons - They listened to old school roleplayers who favors item hoarding over immersion, despite starting the game with the best steel and silver
    While not perfect, Witcher 2 is way ahead of most games ever made.

- Amazing soundtrack
    - Amazing graphics
    - Amazing characters
    - Great story.

Cons - They listened to old school roleplayers who favors item hoarding over immersion, despite starting the game with the best steel and silver swords ever made you will soon find yourself in a loop of upgrading them for a swords that do up to 400% more damage, This also means that the knights you encounter in the first prologue are much weaker than the bandits you will encounter in the first act.
    - Hard level simply means your enemies do more damage while you do less, uninspiring and usually makes you feel less of a bad ass by making combat longer and spamming quen sign.

Depends on you - Geralt, if you don't like him, you wont like the game.
    The combat, some people like it, some don't. It consist mostly of rolling around your enemies and mixing quick and strong attacks. While also throwing a few spells and bombs in the mix from time to time.
    You can craft, if that's your thing, I find it an immersion breaker that you take the time to craft and even needs to. You can also drink potions, but I recommend skipping that because you have to stop and mediate before the battle, they last for a very short time and are severely under powered compared to the first witcher.
  45. Oct 3, 2015
    I just completed The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition after nearly a year of my very slow play-through. I have to say, this is one of the greatest video games I've ever played. Story-wise, gameplay-wise, and graphics-wise. Projekt-red, for all I know have only made games based on "The Witcher", meaning that they have been a small company compared to that of Ubisoft, Blizzard, Bethesda, etc. IfI just completed The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition after nearly a year of my very slow play-through. I have to say, this is one of the greatest video games I've ever played. Story-wise, gameplay-wise, and graphics-wise. Projekt-red, for all I know have only made games based on "The Witcher", meaning that they have been a small company compared to that of Ubisoft, Blizzard, Bethesda, etc. If this video game's cost exceeds $40-50 USD, it's well worth it. There's plenty of action, story, sex, drugs and rock&roll for anyone 13+, I'd say, to enjoy. I'll not appoint any spoilers, but if you fancy an awesome story in a game, this is one of your go-to's. I'm about to begin The Witcher (1) and see how it goes! I wish I could afford a new generation console to play The Wild Hunt, but that's not happening for a bit. Expand
  46. Oct 1, 2015
    Huge improvement over the first game in terms of gameplay. The combat is a ton of fun. The story is again very good and the choices you use have a HUGE impact on how the story plays out. There are 2 completely different paths for chapter 2 based on choices you make. Amazing game and one of my all time favourites.
  47. Sep 26, 2015
    Stellar Atmosphere, Great Audio Effects, and Captivating Story. When I first installed the Witcher 2, those traits are what grabbed me. At the end of November and the beginning of December, I preordered my collector's addition at Gamestop. I am slightly disappointed at the package material used to contain my items. The black "fuzziness" coats the bust. At once, I noticed how much of aStellar Atmosphere, Great Audio Effects, and Captivating Story. When I first installed the Witcher 2, those traits are what grabbed me. At the end of November and the beginning of December, I preordered my collector's addition at Gamestop. I am slightly disappointed at the package material used to contain my items. The black "fuzziness" coats the bust. At once, I noticed how much of a challenge that TW 2's combat serves. On normal, a player needs to make use of the alchemy system. A player needs to think ahead with the potions that they consume. Expand
  48. Sep 12, 2015
    Another step in the rise of CD Projekt. Far superior to its predecessor, with excellent graphics, a revamped combat system, great story well told and charismatic characters. Recommended!
  49. Sep 9, 2015
    Upon reading and hearing so much positives about The Witcher 2, finally got my hands on the game for less than $10 on Steam sale. Booted it up, played the game on max setting. Omg, the graphics looks stunning. And... that's pretty much the good thing about it... I played for about 3 hours or slightly more and I just couldn't continue. In that 3 hours there were so many things that I didn'tUpon reading and hearing so much positives about The Witcher 2, finally got my hands on the game for less than $10 on Steam sale. Booted it up, played the game on max setting. Omg, the graphics looks stunning. And... that's pretty much the good thing about it... I played for about 3 hours or slightly more and I just couldn't continue. In that 3 hours there were so many things that I didn't like and I'm going to list them here.

Granted, the biggest mistake I made (and I know people are going to tell me it's my own fault) is that I played it using mouse+keyboard, I know, I'm sorry but I don't have a controller. Therefore controls seems very clunky and playing a 3rd person game without a controller is just... it's unnatural. So if I can't enjoy the gameplay , what's the point in playing.
    Secondly, the menu.... ehm.... it's so old school and difficult to navigate that you just can't be bothered to go through it.
    Third, why are we given a fixed character in open-world rpg? In the Wither 2 you are forced to play as this old man, stereotypical and just feels weird playing as him. I just can't get attached to the main character. Not gonna spend hours looking at this old man.
    Finally, ok it's open-world, but nothing to do!! What the heck?? It's actually a rather linear game. The game wants you to p[lay it a certain way. it's wants you to fight a certain way... I know it's story-driven, but please refer to point 3. I'm not interested.

Doesn't matter how good the graphics are, or how big the game is. The fact is, I just don't like it. It's linear, it's not challenging, it doesn't require you to think or be creative.. just fight, boring cutscene starring old man, move to next point and fight again. Rinse and repeat. I know it's just $10, but I regreted it dearly =( FAIL!!
  50. Sep 4, 2015
    Compared to "The Witcher", "The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings" has: worse plot, harder battle system, less monsters, less characters, less quests, smaller territories, less boss battles, bad potions, less dungeons (if you can call those caves a dungeon), no "cards", buggy engine but good graphics.
    Would vote no more than 7 if there were no 2 possible walkthrough paths and I wasn't subjective (but I am).
  51. Sep 4, 2015
    The Witcher 2 came out a fair while ago, but I feel it has aged like wine of the highest quality does. I have completed the game several times since it launched in 2011 and every single time I ended up being more and more amazed at the complexity of its narrative. The second installment of The Witcher franchise (especially with the Enhanced Edition) succeeds to an almost unprecedentedThe Witcher 2 came out a fair while ago, but I feel it has aged like wine of the highest quality does. I have completed the game several times since it launched in 2011 and every single time I ended up being more and more amazed at the complexity of its narrative. The second installment of The Witcher franchise (especially with the Enhanced Edition) succeeds to an almost unprecedented degree in telling both a fantasy story and a medieval political thriller. It is a marriage that not many works of popular culture have succeeded at in recent memory, including The Witcher 3: Whild Hunt, which simplifies the political bravado of its predecessor to an almost comic level. While by no means a bad game, the storytelling disappointment that Cd Projekt Red's newest Witcher game is in various departments makes it even more obvious after all these years what an utter masterpiece The Assassins of Kings is. Deepest respects to lead writer Sebastian Stępień, who was sorely missed by so many of us in The Wild Hunt. Expand
  52. Aug 31, 2015
    Love this game! A lot of changes from the first Witcher title, but there is much more depth, action, and story here.

Story: Get ready to explore a world full of exciting political turmoil and chaos. This new Witcher installment has a lot of in-depth characters and an exciting story which involves political figures, rebels, and mages. You really feel as if your choices and actions

Story:

Get ready to explore a world full of exciting political turmoil and chaos. This new Witcher installment has a lot of in-depth characters and an exciting story which involves political figures, rebels, and mages. You really feel as if your choices and actions shape the game quite a bit as you go along. This leads to a lot of attachment to certain characters and a great amount of replay value. The quests are interesting and engaging. It is nice to see some adult themes being thrown around in a game nowadays too rather than the usual generic boring fetch quests. I really enjoyed the story of this game, much more than the first Witcher.

Gameplay:

There is a learning curve for combat. Gone are the styles of the first game and, in my opinion, a much better type of combat takes its place. At first, it can be quite difficult which I thought was actually enjoyable. You start with all of your signs and get thrown right into combat with no tutorial which, if you never played the first game, I can see why some complained. For me, I welcomed the difficult combat. It’s a nice change of pace to actually have to use oils and potions to prepare for battle as compared to just running in and button mashing. That being said, there are some targeting issues that can be annoying. You may find yourself having trouble targeting the correct enemies which can become frustrating. All in all combat can be difficult, but it’s not that difficult especially once you get dodging down it then becomes much easier.

The skill tree is expended and much more in-depth than many other mainstream RPG’s. However, my only complaint is that the alchemy tree can almost be ignored. I just didn’t find much use for it when compared to the other two.

My main complaint with the game is the menus. They look and navigate like a poor console port. It can be a pain to search for certain items as the organization is feeble.

Graphics/Sound:

Voice acting is top notch here. Geralt, Triss, and all the major players are done with great writing and voice acting. In my opinion the voice acting and writing here blows games like Skyrim and Dragon Age 2 out of the water.

The game looks amazing. The graphics here are crazy good, even without playing on max settings. I played on medium and the amount of detail and interaction is outstanding.

Conclusion:

In my opinion its the 2011 Game of the year, if not RPG of the year. Tons more depth, interaction, and action than most games out there. A really enjoyable experience and a must own for any RPG or adventure gamer.
  53. Aug 25, 2015
    The original Witcher was a fantastic game. It took all the fairies and unicorns out of fantasy rpg’s and brought us a gritty world filled with sex, war, hypocrisy, and racism. The game is based on the novels of a Polish author. So the Witcher doesn’t lack for story. In fact, it excels at storytelling and immersion. But it is incredibly broken. Janky mechanics and numerous bugs held it backThe original Witcher was a fantastic game. It took all the fairies and unicorns out of fantasy rpg’s and brought us a gritty world filled with sex, war, hypocrisy, and racism. The game is based on the novels of a Polish author. So the Witcher doesn’t lack for story. In fact, it excels at storytelling and immersion. But it is incredibly broken. Janky mechanics and numerous bugs held it back from mainstream success. When the Witcher 2 was announced, fans eagerly expected developers to address these bugs while bringing a gigantic, epic world filled with intrigue and monster slaying. By its tepid reception, we know fans felt the developers fell short on those expectations. The W2 is not bad. However, is suffers from an identity crisis.

Most gamers agree that the W2 is a remarkably gorgeous game. It uses the DX9 api, which also powered the original Crysis. And it’s extremely demanding on higher settings. But the game is best enjoyed maxed out so players can fully enjoy the lush environs and meticulously detailed mountains on the horizon. But it isn’t well optimized. Fps drops are normal and it stutters every few minutes (or seconds) as new textures are loaded in. W2 has odd visual quirks too. Shadows and facial features are pixelated. It’s downright distracting at times. A graphic’s option called ubersampling will eliminate that, but it’s too demanding. Players are better leaving ubersampling off and maxing out everything else.

Although graphics are a huge improvement over the original, the story is a step back. The campaign is better than haters claim. The problems lie in the side quests. There are only a handful, and they are easy to complete. There are few monsters to slay. Few caves to explore. And no water nymphs to romance. The story’s focus on politics is well-done, but it’s too heavy-handed. CD Projekt created a gorgeous world with nothing to do except slog thru a campaign. Sure, there are choices to be made. But only a few have noticeable impact. Players can import their saves from the first Witcher. However, the bonuses from this are slight.

Combat sucks namely since the targeting system that is broken. Enemies will be directly in front of Geralt, but no target appears. The tutorial says to adjust the camera to target new enemies. That doesn’t work. So players will have to swing their swords or cast spells blindly. Although spells have the same names and characteristics as those in the original Witcher, developers dumped their AOE’s. This would make sense, if the targeting system worked. As a result, Geralt casts puny looking spells that don’t hit their intended targets.

But combat sucks for other reasons too. W2 also wedges in QTE’s. Why this annoying convention keeps poking its ugly head into games is beyond me. Do developers even listen? Boxing and some boss fights rely on QTE’s to succeed. Even certain dialogue options require on split second timing. W2 also forces gamers to play as other characters who are completely stripped of all Geralt’s abilities they’ve worked so hard to obtain. These conventions are ever more common, and players absolutely hate them. I bought the Witcher to play as the Witcher! I don’t want to play as a weak ass spy, a dead soldier, or fat king.

Other problems with combat result from the restrictive leveling and limited move sets. Instead of the appreciated complexity of the original, W2 “simplifies” upgrade paths. Again, another convention of mass market games. As a result, combat in W2 is downgraded into a button mashing fest. It’s not as fun, and wholly repetitive. One problem carried over from the original is close quarters fights—a bunch of enemies crammed into a tiny room. W2’s broken combat mechanics means these battles are frustrating—just like for first game. And if there is a fight immediately after a video scene, Geralt will have already taken damage before players get to control him. On harder difficulties he endures massive damage before the fights even start.

Other issues with W2 include illegible maps (and mini maps) making objectives hard to find. Inventory management is a bit confusing. Lots of loot is inaccessible. There are few rewards for exploration and limited dialogue outside the main quest.

Lastly, the Witcher’s soundtrack was highly regarded. Unfortunately, the Witcher 2 failed to live up to that legacy as well. Instead, players are given a generic, forgettable score.

Despite 11gb of updates, W2 lacks polish. Combat and exploration, which should be 2 of its biggest focuses, are actually the biggest drawbacks. The developers took steps backwards in areas where they shouldn’t, such as story. And they failed to effectively push forward in areas that needed the most work, like combat. So the best elements of the Witcher devolved while the broken parts remained broken. If W2 didn’t look so damn good, I’m certain its scores would’ve been much lower. For Witcher fans, this game is worth playing. But other rpg fans look elsewhere.
  54. Aug 17, 2015
    The combat is a lot better than the first Witcher, but still can feel rather clunky and awkward.

The Tiny Inventory that was annoyingly small in The first game is improved in the 2nd by being more spacious and has a weight system instead, I can explore and loot for quite a while before I have to go sell or store. Despite being more spacious the inventory still feels flawed, it's a higgledy piggledy ugly mess of a list. The perfect inventory system would be a much larger grid system, sort of like what the first Witcher had but 4 times as spacious.

While the inventory has improved, alchemy has gone backwards. Only being able to drink potions during meditation is annoying. You can't drink potions during battle, so you have to guess what you may need before a fight which can be wasteful or go in blind see what happens and figure what you need and reload a previous save. Rather time consuming. The first witcher's alchemy system was better it let you drink potions in battle and I prefer being able to drink potions in battle. A really stupid decision to change it.

Moving around the world feels restrictive, with only certain spots you can climb or descend with no ability to jump over obstacles, movement is rather linear and so is exploration.

Map is flawed, especially bad for me since I have a bad sense of direction. The map seems to expect you to memorise where everything is, nothing is labelled, I had to find Phillipa's house and it did not mark or label it on the map, so I spent ages entering each house trying to find hers which is rather frustrating and time wasting

The game has way too many long cutscenes making it feel more like a interactive movie than a game. I want to play a game, not watch a movie.

Boss battles feel like a movie script as well, you have to pay attention to when to rapidly click your mouse at certain points.You fight a boss only to have the battle interrupted by cut scenes such Geralt moving around on a tentacle or to be distracted by a falling bridge cutscene after each time you chop off a tentacle.

I find it annoying, I want to fight a boss and not continually have the battle be interupted by a cutscene. I really dislike the Quick Time Events, it ruins any immersion for me.

The world of Witcher 2 is dark in an over done way, it's not even all that terribly original - it's your generic "Dark and Gritty Fantasy" setting, set in wretched, crappy world where all the people are ignorant, filthy and full of extreme hatred.

Sure the 2nd Witcher has better graphics and inventory but overall I just feel the first Witcher was much better, in every way, quests, mini games were done better, alchemy and so was the story. Witcher 2 the story is too political and I find a heavy emphasis on political stuff rather boring.

Though I reccomend playing both paths as it gives you slightly different access to each area, different quests, information, characters and choices.

I played Iorveth's path first and then Roche's and I enjoyed playing through Roche's path much more, I found it more interesting.

But overall I'd class this as a shallow action game that wants to be a movie as well, that pretends to be deep, but fails and falls short. This is a overhyped game that does not deserve the praise it gets.

I guess I've been spoiled by the massive epic exploration Skyrim offers and The Witcher 2 isn't even half that, just 3 towns to explore. *yawn

At least I know now that Witcher isn't very good for what I want in an RPG. Sure some may love it, but it's not my cup of tea. And from watching gameplay of Witcher 3 I can see it's more of the same or worse. With lengthy cutscenes and Geralt's character model now looks very ugly.

I prefer RPG's like The Elder Scrolls and Fallout, which has a lot of depth, choice, exploration and you can be whoever you can imagine.

This game is more for those who like a light action oriented RPG with a limited set character, than those who like a deep, open RPG with more freedom, seemingly endless choices and character builds that can vary a lot.
  55. Aug 5, 2015
    Too long conversation, too slow path, just like torture for my patience.

Too long conversation, too slow path, just like torture for my patience.

Too slow walking speed, there's neither fast travel nor speedy transport that I have to repeat walking through the same routes n times to get to check points. Feels like I was teased by the dev, but yes, dont forget to upgrade Feet work in Swordsmanship Tree ASAP, then dodging the whole map eases travel a bit only if your 'space' button is tough.

Scattered and interweaved plots cannot engage me into the story and usually make me feel confused and directionless.

The menu system is designed very poorly in almost every aspect. Too many to point out.
    For example, have to access alchemy, character and drinking portions via meditation. Extra layer that lows the speed of access.
    Items cannot be indexed, and are displayed only as list, making it difficult to have an overview and localization.
    When refining a specific portion, there is no way to know how many it I have had, Plus no way to skip the annoying drinking animation.
    Of course, the response of the whole menus is relatively lagging.

To get orientation in the game is frustrating.
    The mini map is almost useless that can only give a yellow arrow. My question is if terrain is so unclear on that mini map, why use it to fold a bit view instead of just giving us an arrow? Put it simple, the only way to make me directional is to press 'm', but for every several steps I have to press it....which is fatiguing.

Maybe 2/3 time is spent on menus operations, walking and conversation.
  56. Aug 5, 2015
    Can't believe this game got this much appraisal, it must be because the players don't have any reference to compare or something, the history must be it's strong point, but the game play suck big hard time, in an game medium its the worst aspect to suck.

To start, the controls are realy bad, the feedback of the controller imput take almost 1 second some times, the targeting system is trash, the combat could be good if these problems were corrected.

Stealth sections, quick time events with bugged controls, a hell lot of thing preventing you from enjoying what should be a open world game, the introduction of the game is pure gameplay **** shoved down your troath, i dont get why they didn't just made a cut scene or so, its poison in game play wise.

Most of the witcher 2 problems would be solved if they played any Souls game for half a hour, i guess it must be too humilhating to do so...
  57. Jun 29, 2015
    - Good: Writing, Story, Atmosphere, Setting, Characters, Flotsam, Side quests
    - Mixed: Gameplay, Soundtrack, Boss fights
    - Bad: UI

I like more first Witcher, but this game is still very very solid.
  58. Jun 28, 2015
    I have signed up for metacritic just so I can review this game. Don't waste your time!

It's crap! Horrendous combat mechanics, completely unbalanced and infuriatingly (and unnecessarily) difficult. Story seems great if you didn't have to go through the awful combat and fight scenes. You have to google how to complete half the questions and all of the bosses, can't be done on their own.
  59. Jun 19, 2015
    One of the best looking games I have ever played. Crysis tier graphics combined with gameplay that is far more engaging than the first witcher game make this one of the best games I've played in recent years.

The story takes a moment to get going but once it does it never slows down. True to the first game in the series you can still bang hookers, get drunk and gamble your money away. But unlike the first game, the combat is far more complex.

In combat it is similar to dark souls in the sense that you have a light attack, strong attack, and can roll to dodge attacks. There are more difficulty levels and there is actual coordination involved instead of just knowing potions/stances to use at a certain time. On top of the swordplay there are bombs and traps you can craft and purchase, traps being sort of a niche item that I ended up not using much. All in all the combat is a lot of fun and far less tedious than the first game. The only thing about this game I didn't care for was you are unable to drink potions in the midst of combat.

A lot of old friends show up in the second game, there is a definite sense of continuity, largely because the end of the first game carries right over into the major conflict of the second. Once again Geralt carefully trying to stay on the edge of politics, yet someone is always dragging him into it.

This game takes almost everything that the Witcher had and makes it better. While some people may be turned off by the lack of a character creator, the story this game has to tell of Geralt the Witcher is far more interesting than the nameless self-insert the RPG industry is usually prone to these days.

Near perfect with lots of different ways to play and level, plus a combat arena mini game if you want to just fight waves of monsters over and over.
  60. Jun 17, 2015
    Improving over The Witcher 1, on the whole combat system and with more engaging side quest, The Witcher 2 is not perfect (if possible I would have rate it 9.5) with some minor defaults like the fact that you don't remember formulas, but I love it way to much to lower the mark to 9. Fantastic graphics at the times and above everything else the best story of modern videogames with detailedImproving over The Witcher 1, on the whole combat system and with more engaging side quest, The Witcher 2 is not perfect (if possible I would have rate it 9.5) with some minor defaults like the fact that you don't remember formulas, but I love it way to much to lower the mark to 9. Fantastic graphics at the times and above everything else the best story of modern videogames with detailed and realistic characters, and choices that have enormous consequences, in fact the 40-50 hours that the game needs to be complete could be almost doubled giving that a choice in the end of Act 1 will change the rest of the game in almost every aspect (only a few quests will be the same) .

I've already said this on my review of the first Witcher, but those games are to videogames what Game of Thrones is to series : high production value, faithful to the original works, addicting story and characters, etc. It's a must have !
  61. Jun 10, 2015
    This game would have gotten a 9/10 from me, but due to its very narrow FOV i have to take one point off. I was also able to implement a MOD which fixes the FOV; unfortunately, that mod prevented me from using other good mods (such as Full Combat Rebalance MOD), which i had to forsake in order to have a normal field of view.

That aside - i enjoyed the game thoroughly. I am a fan of the

That aside - i enjoyed the game thoroughly. I am a fan of the first one, and the sequel did not disappoint. The gameplay is not a simplified hack-n-slash - i played on Hard and found combat quite a challenge, final bosses being a real pain in the ass!

Unlike an illusion of choice (such as in Mass Effect) of the path, Witcher 2 offers choices which affect the path and the plot of the main story. Not to give away any spoilers - your choice in the beginning of the Prologue will actually effect the following Chapter. So if you replay the game and make a different choice in the beginning, you will play through a different level in the upcoming chapter - a level which you have never played before. This adds a high value to replayability and believability to the gameplay.

My best part of this whole game is the narrative. This is a game for adults - not because of graphics violence or nudity but because of the depth the story has been developed. It is full of politics, assassinations, intrigues, manipulations, and so on, told through a very witty and eloquent narrative (i just love the prose). The story is magnificent and well-shoed and, as expected from the Witcher universe, thoroughly thought through and explained in detail.
  62. May 29, 2015
    Would be way better entertainment without annoying bugs, frequently in the stupid quick time events, and with more freedom of movement. Some dialogs are really funny but the interaction with environment, especially NPCs is poor.
  63. May 22, 2015
    So far I'm about 5 hours into this game. First off graphics are great. This is not an RPG, this is a hack in slash, and is pretty much just linear game so far, and extremely boring. Gonna give The Witcher 3 a shot now, but I won't hold my breath. It seems 80% of the gaming community are at odds with what I call a good RPG but oh well.
  64. May 19, 2015
    This is in my opinion one of the greatest RPGs of all time. It hasthings holding it back like the fact that it isn't open world, or that the boss battles suck cock, but it's still very good.
    Also, I highly recommend playing with a controller.
  65. May 19, 2015
    Great successor to the first game of the series. TW2 greatly improves where TW1 was lacking some polish, and still manages to tell you a great, involving story with meaningful choices and consequences. I mean - half of the game is completely different (Act 2) depending on who you choose to side with. That's huge.
    And the graphics. For me it is still one of the best looking cRPGs, even
    And the graphics. For me it is still one of the best looking cRPGs, even after 4 years from the release date.
    Combat system is very good, and demanding. A lot of people bash it for not being dumbed down, but if you're up for a challenge, it'll be a big plus for you.
  66. May 12, 2015
    The Witcher 2 is one of the most memorable action RPGs in recent memory. The graphics and sound are great, and the gameplay is pretty good for an RPG. It plays best with a mouse and keyboard, in my opinion. You can tell it was developed for PC. But anyone who gives this over a 7 is delusional. The story is like a LARP. The game freezes and crashes almost regularly. Automatic saveThe Witcher 2 is one of the most memorable action RPGs in recent memory. The graphics and sound are great, and the gameplay is pretty good for an RPG. It plays best with a mouse and keyboard, in my opinion. You can tell it was developed for PC. But anyone who gives this over a 7 is delusional. The story is like a LARP. The game freezes and crashes almost regularly. Automatic save points are lacking. Should you play it? Yes. Expand
  67. May 7, 2015
    in terms of gameplay this game might have gone a little backwards compared to witcher 1 but in other terms it is still a very fun, deep and hard-to-forget game. probably the most sophisticated and grown-up rpg game in the last couple of years.
  68. May 1, 2015
    After playing through this game many times and viewing the game in its entirety, I realized how much
    CD Projekt Red has gone downhill as a game developer and it doesn't make me look forward to Witcher 3, AT ALL.
    I want to go on record, and say I am all for their GOG, DRM-Free business model regarding PC games, which is where I got my copy of Witcher 2 and all my PC games. 3D Vision

3D Vision Review: This is for those of us like me out there locked into Nvidia's 3D Vision solution, which I prefer to the idiotic notion of playing a game in what I call "photosphere mode" others want to call it virtual reality. I prefer 3D, where things have an amazing depth and actual realness to them, versus the "photosphere mode" being hyped up, because unlike 3D, is all hype compared to 3D, I want to experience the game with extreme 3D depth and smoothness at 120hz per eye, not play the game in a "photosphere mode". In fact, I can't wait for the true 240hz 3D monitors where we get to play the game in 3D with 120hz to each eye with some upgraded 3D glasses. Okay, rant over. This title is Nvidia 3D Vision Ready. My own personal experience with it is that it is great, there's a wonderful sense of 3D Depth at all times when playing in 3D mode, especially with depth and convergence settings set how I want. This is made better by the high quality audio the game has, the environmental sounds are good, the people sound like real people and the music is okay, I'm not a big fan of it, it's just okay to me but it is very high quality.

Gameplay/Story Review: It's a action RPG with a few major dialogue choices here and there, you can interact with everyone but only a few npcs serve a purpose, like merchants and major npcs. It's supposed to be a game world of making choices, but there's no way to go your own way, I personally didn't care for being forced to go Roche's path or Iorveth's path. You can customize Geralt's look somewhat, and there a few armor choices here and there. Not to mention you can't get rid of characters you don't like and change the story, you're forced (once again) to play by the games twisted rules of letting obviously evil characters go, in many cases. There are only a few instances in which you can get rid of the obviously evil characters. I would have preferred more freedom to change the story. It is comparable to a corridor shooter, in that there are very limited choices on where you can go and what you can do and you must go the way the game tells you to with an extremely limited degree of control, which is not what an RPG should be doing. Potions should be able to taken whenever you want, not just during meditation. To me the story is needlessly complicated. I would have preferred if it was more focused. The first glaring flaw that sticks out to me, is that somehow Geralt is being blamed for what happens to King Foltest at the beginning, because there were no witnesses, one simple question for that, is why don't I have the choice to wait for Roche, so Roche can go with me? or better yet, why not wait for Roche to bring along a few Blue Stripes? This comes up a lot, I can think of many situations in the game, where I think out loud, why can't I say no? It makes sense, but no, there is a scripted narrative I must follow, despite how little sense it makes to do so.

Basically, the entire game is scripted in advance, its like playing a modern take on the PC games of old, the point and click interactive movies with digitized or real scenes which also didn't give you much choices either. This game has multiple endings but so do some of those really old point and click games. The areas you get to explore are little more than just pretty scenery, sometimes there's some enemies or a new quest, but you are locked down to a grid. I expect I will feel the same way when I play Witcher 3, which won't happen until I can buy the fully patched game with all DLCs.

2 out of 5, for the great 3D Vision, sound, graphics and the Red Kit SDK. Everything else is just bad and brings the score down a lot.

I do appreciate them providing us with the Red Kit SDK along with this game.
    I hope they provide us with the updated SDK with the release of Witcher 3 and I hope Witcher 3 is a much better game, but like I said, I'm not buying it until I can buy it fully patched and with all of its DLC added in.
  69. Apr 27, 2015
    Near perfect RPG. Great characters, story, plot. The choices you make as a character do have consequences in the game. Depth and rich character/npc interaction. Great game if you like your games to be story rich. The game treats you as an intelligent adult. Some games you play are enjoyable right up to the end until you get hit with a completely ill thought out conclusion that can leaveNear perfect RPG. Great characters, story, plot. The choices you make as a character do have consequences in the game. Depth and rich character/npc interaction. Great game if you like your games to be story rich. The game treats you as an intelligent adult. Some games you play are enjoyable right up to the end until you get hit with a completely ill thought out conclusion that can leave you deflated and frustrated as you are left with a feeling that all the hours put into the game were completely pointless. This game does not do that. It is an enjoyable adventure with great characters which leaves you feeling that you got your moneys worth. Money well spent. Expand
  70. Apr 26, 2015
    This entire series was somewhat of a hidden gem for me. It's got great writing, good characters, and pretty fantastic gameplay.

I will caution anyone getting into it though, it took me about an hour to really start getting invested in it. Might just be me, but if it seems slow going with this or the first one, give it a chance.
  71. Apr 6, 2015
    Meh.... I tired to finish Witcher 1 couldn't do it. So in an attempt to get psych'd for witcher 3 i bought witcher 2. I think i finished it in under 24 hours. the voice acting is underwhelming as well as the general story arc, and most of NPCs are boring and don't really add to much. The graphic and combat were good, but the map was god awful. i'm not sure what the redeeming qualities areMeh.... I tired to finish Witcher 1 couldn't do it. So in an attempt to get psych'd for witcher 3 i bought witcher 2. I think i finished it in under 24 hours. the voice acting is underwhelming as well as the general story arc, and most of NPCs are boring and don't really add to much. The graphic and combat were good, but the map was god awful. i'm not sure what the redeeming qualities are for this game, I'm glad it didn't buy it new, and Im going to have to wait for review on W3. in the mean time I guess it's back to the DA series for me. Expand
  72. Apr 1, 2015
    It's a good game, but a bit overrated in my opinion. I wanted to give a 7.5/10. I think from a CRPG point of view the first The Witcher was slightly better. Frankly I am not all that impressed with the combat system in The Witcher 2. The animations feel slow and I don't always feel in control of the character. I wonder if this has to do with console compatibility. Somehow this feels likeIt's a good game, but a bit overrated in my opinion. I wanted to give a 7.5/10. I think from a CRPG point of view the first The Witcher was slightly better. Frankly I am not all that impressed with the combat system in The Witcher 2. The animations feel slow and I don't always feel in control of the character. I wonder if this has to do with console compatibility. Somehow this feels like it was made with controllers in mind.

There seem to be less options in character development than in the first one.

The story is good and choices are meaningfull. Graphics are very detailed but somehow they annoy me. If this game had the art design and crisp combat of Dark Souls II it would have been perfect.
  73. Mar 5, 2015
    Simply it was a masterpiece of its own time. Deep and entertaining story, very realistic characters, real oral choices and dilemmas. Great graphics. I have really enjoyed that one. All my hopes now go for the so-long awaited sequel.
  74. Feb 14, 2015
    .............................................................................................................................................................
  75. Feb 3, 2015
    Don't know if this will update my previous rating however I finally got the game to run using a third party no dot net patch. Sad yet simple. I still can't recommend this game due to these circumstances as it should be fixed as soon as you update the thing
  76. Jan 26, 2015
    Story definitely one of the best I've ever played, comparable with Metro 2033/Last Light Redux, DA Origins and the like.

Voice acting plays an important role in this as it was great, again comparable to Metro 2033/LL, along with ME3. Immersion- existant but not to an extreme level. However in terms of choices, it is great and definitely makes you feel a part of the world but not

Immersion- existant but not to an extreme level. However in terms of choices, it is great and definitely makes you feel a part of the world but not necessarily in control of it. You have options and choices, they do affect the world but not to such a degree that you feel like you can do anything you want.

Graphics- pretty good, nothing particularly amazing nor bad about them. However I will say they did add to the immersion as the environments were perfectly crafted to show off the graphics and enhance the story behind things.

I'd say a solid 8 or 9, did a 9 since I can't choose 8.5
  77. Jan 8, 2015
    Is the game good? Yes. It's a flawed gem of a game and one that could well have been one of the best RPG's ever made, if it wasn't for one thing: the combat. The combat is either shallow and dreadfully easy on "Easy", or absolutely impossible on "Normal". "Normal" is really hard mode and they need another difficulty in-between.

Putting that aside, pretty much everything else in the game

Putting that aside, pretty much everything else in the game is good. Graphically it looks very pretty when maxed out for a game this old.

Having never played Witcher 1, I found it's not very beginner friendly with regards to the story - but then I kind of expected that anyway. Nevertheless, if you have not played the previous game, expect to be confused... a lot. When you finally get your head round it you will find it has significant depth and is highly engaging.

Your companions all have back stories of their own and they are well fleshed out. Not many games have had me caring for characters I have only spent a minimal amount of time with in game, but this one got me!

The RPG elements are solid and allow for quite a bit of customisation. It has an interesting potion mechanic, based on your "toxicity level", so you can't just swig every potion you have before a fight.

So, all in all, it's a good game. It could have been brilliant if a few issues were resolved. Regardless of which, it has made me want to get Witcher 3 this February, so consider me hooked!

Jimbo Rating: 7/10
  78. Dec 27, 2014
    Probably the best game I've ever played

Pros
    **** ****
    +Fight Monsters
    +Get Money
    +Drink Beer

Cons
    -Too pretty
    -Too good

10/10 would reccomend
  79. Nov 30, 2014
    Awesome game. I was able to really get in and feel like the witcher, which was great. I had my own motivations that were very separate from the motivations of those around me, but the game never forced me to go along and really commit to a faction. Yes, I had to pick a side, but even after I picked that side they didn't much like me and I didn't much like them, we just needed each otherAwesome game. I was able to really get in and feel like the witcher, which was great. I had my own motivations that were very separate from the motivations of those around me, but the game never forced me to go along and really commit to a faction. Yes, I had to pick a side, but even after I picked that side they didn't much like me and I didn't much like them, we just needed each other for a brief time. The fact that a video game could carry that type of tension this well was incredible.
    The story unfolds gradually and each reveal feels important, interesting, and distinct. I never felt hurried by the plot, and the side quests all felt like something my Geralt would do. Combat is difficult without feeling like the game is cheating, which is important to me for game play. Some games you lose a fight and you say "oh comon, there's nothing I could have done about that" but in this game, every time I died I swore a few times and tried again because I knew it was my fault, not the game's, that I had died.
    I could hardly ask for a better game experience. The only reason I don't think it was perfect is because the combat, while difficult in all the right ways, did eventually feel repetitive. I kept taking the same potions every time, doing the same dodges, and firing off the same spell, or sign. Even though there are a lot of different possibilities, I played on the hardest difficulty and it felt like there was only ever one combination of things that gave me the best chance. It was still exciting and difficult to pull off, and the game didn't drag on so long that I felt completely bored by that combat, but it was repetitive nonetheless.

Overall an excellent game, and I will likely play through again to make some decisions differently than I did the first time. I may turn down the difficulty to save time though!
  80. Nov 29, 2014
    Any role-playing game that's heavily relying on action and fighting mythical creatures should be ashamed of itself when the design decisions were made that you could only take potions BEFORE entering fights, thereby effectively integrating the save function as a core of people's gameplay.

SHAME ON YOU, Witcher 2.
  81. Nov 25, 2014
    I loved TW1. So I got this game as soon as it came out. I beat it and enjoyed every minute of the process. Its beautiful. As soon as I learned The Witcher 3 is in the works I picked it up and beat it again. This time I made all the opposite choices. Thats right! Silly me. My first game ended with me saving Triss over the king's kids with the help of Roach. I never explored all the otherI loved TW1. So I got this game as soon as it came out. I beat it and enjoyed every minute of the process. Its beautiful. As soon as I learned The Witcher 3 is in the works I picked it up and beat it again. This time I made all the opposite choices. Thats right! Silly me. My first game ended with me saving Triss over the king's kids with the help of Roach. I never explored all the other choices. My second play-through I was a freedom fighter with Iorveth who helped the non-humans carve out a kingdom. Its amazing how I could start in the same place. Make completely reasonable choices and end with such a different experience. The whole second act of the game was completely different.
    This game is mature. The characters are complex. The plot is mature. Unlike so many games where there is the clearly good option and the clearly evil option, in this game you try to do good but the choices are hard. Do you let innocent people burn to death, or do you let a bad guy get away without punishment? Choices like that.
    I do have 2 criticisms. Combat is a little hit or miss. Like the real world when the bad guys gang up on you, you are going to take a beating. Also the game is too short. Both these things were partially resolved by the FREE RELEASE of the Enhanced Edition.
    I can't wait for The Witcher 3 to come out.
  82. Nov 21, 2014
    The world of witcher is incredibly intriguing and rich. Monarchs being **** people are out to get others, violence, corruption, etc. I am amazed that such a short game can give me all of that, and I am eager to learn more. Its multiple paths tell the story from different perspectives, and your actions actually have consequences that you would care about during the game, and that is a rareThe world of witcher is incredibly intriguing and rich. Monarchs being **** people are out to get others, violence, corruption, etc. I am amazed that such a short game can give me all of that, and I am eager to learn more. Its multiple paths tell the story from different perspectives, and your actions actually have consequences that you would care about during the game, and that is a rare find in recent games, or any games. There are characters that I actually grow to love and care about, which is great.

Releasing the Enhanced Edition for free is just CDPR being awesome towards players. The side quests are fun things, unlike some of the "MMO quests" adopted by a certain company. They might be similar but you do feel the difference as each type of monsters need a different means to exterminate.

Downsides: combat wise it feels like the PC gains more powerful too quickly and scales out of control, and the actiony combat can be repetitive. Also the game's system requirements are ridiculous and I still sometimes get lags on a PC I bought 3 years after its release. The more save files you have, the longer loading screens you experience - definitely an issue (I have to manually delete saves outside of the game as deleting inside is a chore). Also the game is too short, which gives me a sad face.
  83. Nov 19, 2014
    Nice graphics,
    Nice graphics,
    As new player to the Witcher storyline, the story was just shoved in my face, way to much story in the start, it was not to my liking when getting to knowing the game and dying regularly on normal, the time the character takes to notice he's in from of objects(doors, ladders, or during combat targets) seems almost unbearable(only 1-3 sec, but a lot of ladders and thing to climb over). Ended up finding my self skipping the cut-scenes to get more game-play, and ended up quitting, since it was not a nice way to play the game.
  84. Nov 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Played on PC. Loved all the great NPCs and storyline. Some minor issues like not being able to craft an armor from the Mist boss since chapter ended before I could do anything. I liked original Witcher a bit better, but the extra choices were a welcome addition for any gripes I had with minor things.

All-in-all the game ran very well for me, UI very good. Gerald is a regular bad-ass. W3 here I come.
  85. Nov 16, 2014
    This game contains too many dialogues, cinematic and readings that sometimes you do not know what you have to do until you read it again. Poor instruction of the game and gameplay. UI is confusing. Controls are poor. Combat is terrible, unless you like ROLLING and ROLLONG all the time.
    I do not recommend this game if you are not fun of RPG games and you don't care about the controls and combat.
  86. Nov 12, 2014
    The Witcher 1 was a perfect RPG experience in my eyes and in retrospect I would rank it among the very best in the genre. The Witcher 2 changes quite a lot of things, some of them for better, others for worse, but despite some problems, it's still a fantastic RPG ride and a worthy successor.

The story is still top notch, maybe little too much politics for my taste, it can be hard to follow all the kingdoms, their situation, kings, intentions etc., but it makes it feel more grandiose in scope. The game itself however is quite a bit shorter than the first one, only 3 chapters and the last chapter went by really fast, but if you do everything, it's still about 30 hours, which is good enough.

The visuals are beautiful, I loved all 3 locations and their environments, some of the locations were just breathtaking, but the overall art direction seems to be pushed into more punch in the face aesthetic, so the colors are often way too over saturated to my taste. I preferred more subtle style of the first Witcher.

The biggest change is the controls and combat. I love the fact you can grip the controller and feel your character, move around, the combat is also much more fluid and it feels tight, that's a good change, but what is not so good is the UI, the inventory management, all the additional menus, it suffered from the overall console controllers interface, it needs some serious getting used to and I really hope this will be improved in TW3.

Another disappointment is the alchemy, one of my favourite things to do in TW1. gathering herbs, mixing potions and effectively use them in battle. Here, you cannot drink once the combat starts, but before that in preparation. You would need to be a seer visionary to know when you are going to need it, this basically ruined the effective use and I just ignored the alchemy completely, focusing solely on the sword techniques.

The biggest problem of TW2 imo is it's linearity and non-open world corridor style world design. Especially now when you can control Geralt with such fluidity it's really immersion breaking to encounter all those invisible walls and barriers, it feels very restricting, you can't even jump over the obstacles, it just lacks the freedom of many other more open world RPGs, but that's exactly the issue that the new Witcher 3 should address.

There are some other minor bugs, I had few crashes during my playthrough, there are many audio balance issues, voice overs too loud or too quiet every once in a while, and they somehow managed to ruin the dice poker mini-game which is not nearly as good as in the first game, but nothing that can destroy your RPG experience.

And what an experience it is, captivating story, interesting characters, well-written quests, in the first half of the game pretty challenging battles that force you to use all your resources to win and important decisions that have a strong impact on the actual world around you and the last but not least - fantastic soundtrack again. All the things I loved about the first Witcher and reasons why I love The Witcher series so much. I'm looking forward to the new open world TW3 that's looking amazing so far and hopefully is going to improve all the shortcomings of TW2 to create the ultimate masterpiece and finish this amazing trilogy. 9/10
  87. Oct 26, 2014
    The top game of its year (although not recognized as such due to heavy lobbying for the blockbusters), it refreshed the formula used in The Witcher 1, solves a couple of its problems (including the combat system) and brings the graphics to the limit. Beautifully made, with an at times dark story, The Witcher 2, especially with the free updates of it (and the Extended Edition patch inThe top game of its year (although not recognized as such due to heavy lobbying for the blockbusters), it refreshed the formula used in The Witcher 1, solves a couple of its problems (including the combat system) and brings the graphics to the limit. Beautifully made, with an at times dark story, The Witcher 2, especially with the free updates of it (and the Extended Edition patch in special) still remains an sight to behold. Yes, by now some graphical errors become more obvious. But The Witcher 2 remains one of the best RPGs ever made, and with The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt upcoming which promises to be even better, the series will likely remain an shining example of good RPGs. Expand
  88. Oct 7, 2014
    It doesn't contain jump.
    The enhanced version is over colorful and painful in the eyes.
    You can't easily saw the quest item, there's no lighting on the object.
    Need to craft often to became over power.
    The map is confusing.
  89. Sep 30, 2014
    I really wanted to love this game, but the game play flaws are terrible.

WORST -camera all over the place made me sick, and wanting to puke -scripted combats .... hate this **** no freedom to chose what to do, just pressing a button that appears on the screen... fu$#k#ing ridiculous, finish animations get in the way of combat. -scenery no freedom , you will get stuck in little
    I really wanted to love this game, but the game play flaws are terrible.

WORST
    -camera all over the place made me sick, and wanting to puke
    -scenery no freedom , you will get stuck in little things, running nowhere at the edge of a precipices. can't even jump to the side of a freaking stair .

THE OK
    -the combat was nice(when it's not scripted) liked the preparation part , the two swords are cool
    -the history was ok, but execution and timing was poor ... fu3$#$ing third party narration by some kid.

it gets a 7 because i really liked the theme, will be waiting for the Witcher 3 :P
  90. Sep 28, 2014
    Im from Poland so i should rate this game 9/10 but i cant. 7/10 because the story lane is not bad but when you leave the village, you will see a lot of mobs, totaly **** In the book (the book is 999999x better than this game), people dont meet mobs every 10 meters, sometimes people can sleep in the forest and see zero monsters but in the game, mobs are everywhere and not 2 mobs per 200Im from Poland so i should rate this game 9/10 but i cant. 7/10 because the story lane is not bad but when you leave the village, you will see a lot of mobs, totaly **** In the book (the book is 999999x better than this game), people dont meet mobs every 10 meters, sometimes people can sleep in the forest and see zero monsters but in the game, mobs are everywhere and not 2 mobs per 200 yards but spam of mobs.
    You should read the books "The Witcher", by Andrzej Sapkowski. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher
  91. Sep 27, 2014
    One of the best rpg's of 2011 if not the best game is visually stunning and challenging combat especially on dark mode edrea queen 1 shotted me without quen love this game so much
  92. Sep 21, 2014
    One of the best games- and the best rpg I have ever played. Graphics and the atmosphere are superb, but what really makes this game outstanding is it's character- and storywriting. It's story is very complex, but if you spent some time trying to understand it you will be rewarded with a intelligent written story full of memorable moments, twists and political issues. The combat is decentOne of the best games- and the best rpg I have ever played. Graphics and the atmosphere are superb, but what really makes this game outstanding is it's character- and storywriting. It's story is very complex, but if you spent some time trying to understand it you will be rewarded with a intelligent written story full of memorable moments, twists and political issues. The combat is decent but compared to other aspects not outstanding. But still- this game deserves a 10/10. I play rpg's since 15 years and Witcher 2 managed to became my new #1 Expand
  93. Sep 20, 2014
    One of the best RPG's I've played, a game that forces you to make meaningful choices that have a huge effect on the game. Combat took a bit of getting used to since I started just going in button mashing and ending up dead. had to sit back think about all the tools in my arsenal and play with a bit of thought. Tracking an elite hunt? Set some traps and ambush it. Use your abilities, signsOne of the best RPG's I've played, a game that forces you to make meaningful choices that have a huge effect on the game. Combat took a bit of getting used to since I started just going in button mashing and ending up dead. had to sit back think about all the tools in my arsenal and play with a bit of thought. Tracking an elite hunt? Set some traps and ambush it. Use your abilities, signs and weapons

It is great I would recommend it to anyone, and it still looks beautiful even today.
  94. Sep 17, 2014
    Bland, repetitive game-play with poor controls, boring characters, and even worse compatibility.
    The World is very 2 Dimensional with puppet NPCs and lacks anything outside of an RPG stereotype.
    I can run damn near any game with all graphics settings on max with skype running, but if I try to run witcher on even mediocre settings - It's completely laggy. There are better things you

but if I try to run witcher on even mediocre settings - It's completely laggy.

There are better things you can spend your money on - Like any other RPG.
  95. Sep 15, 2014
    The game looks marvelous, the execution of visuals, storytelling and everything connected is just perfect. You can actually care about characters and their stories, and the main plot isn't just shoveled down with an uninspired ending like in the previous title. The story connections to the prequel surely will make me to replay this title few times.

Why 5 then? Because the gameplay

Why 5 then? Because the gameplay absolutely sucks in every possible way. The combat system is a clusterf***, the lack of control and annoyances surrounding it (picking up items in the middle of the fight, come on) and the character development is just subpar and far below what the first game offered. The UI is tiring and navigating takes definitely too much time and clicking, drinking potions is just a chore to do, magic signs are unprecise and not really useful. They could ditch out the combat entirely, making a point'n'click adventure game and the game would only benefit from it.
  96. Sep 6, 2014
    Graphically impressive with exceptional production values, and a good game, but not the second coming, and definitely not the next big thing in RPGs. Restrictive in the same way console RPGs are, just with hi-res textures, presented as an adult game, yet under the surface it's just as adolescent as the first game was, with it's ridiculous sex cards. Gameplay (particularly combat) is oftenGraphically impressive with exceptional production values, and a good game, but not the second coming, and definitely not the next big thing in RPGs. Restrictive in the same way console RPGs are, just with hi-res textures, presented as an adult game, yet under the surface it's just as adolescent as the first game was, with it's ridiculous sex cards. Gameplay (particularly combat) is often quite bad, particularly on Normal difficulty or higher - controls feel unresponsive, delayed, keymapping can be altered but not in game and only using the game's config tool. Good, but not great. Expand
  97. Aug 19, 2014
    This is a MUST if you enjoy games with a solid story and incredible combat mechanics. Very few bugs compared to your usual RPG. Sound and graphics are top notch. Only game better than this is Fallout 3, which are unrealistic standards...
  98. Aug 12, 2014
    The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings.. The perfect combination into the tematics of the first game and a great gameplay. Not the best but is higher than The Witcher 1. Amazing game.
  99. Aug 3, 2014
    This game is beautiful. Holy crap, just beautiful. Gives me feels. Original Witcher was sublime and this follows suit. Some linearity doesn't stop it from being immersive and feeling like a real goddamn world. 9.7/10.
  100. Jul 14, 2014
    I had a great time playing The Witcher 2. The quality of this title exceeded my expectations. And while I can not recommend this game for younger players due to the mature content, I would definitely recommend it for older players, particularly if you are a fan of The original Conan comics, as I feel there are a lot of similarities in the way these works are played out. The gameI had a great time playing The Witcher 2. The quality of this title exceeded my expectations. And while I can not recommend this game for younger players due to the mature content, I would definitely recommend it for older players, particularly if you are a fan of The original Conan comics, as I feel there are a lot of similarities in the way these works are played out. The game features Elves, Dwarves, and humans, along with plenty of monsters, and magic. The story is very complex, and the characters are all richly developed. Most importantly, there is a combat system that is both challenging, and entertaining. The voice work is top notch, and the graphics and music are triple A quality. I have to say that this game takes the crown as my favorite role playing game since the Mass Effect games. Expand
  101. May 17, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011. The single best RPG I have played since Planescape: Torment. The characters are deep and complex, the storyline develops depending on your actions and choices. It takes what was good from every single RPG released in the last 15 years and makes it into something better. The graphics are simply the best ever seen in an RPG to date, if not the bestThis definitely is Game of the Year 2011. The single best RPG I have played since Planescape: Torment. The characters are deep and complex, the storyline develops depending on your actions and choices. It takes what was good from every single RPG released in the last 15 years and makes it into something better. The graphics are simply the best ever seen in an RPG to date, if not the best that we have so far in any game (compare to Crysis if you want to). The flaws are few if any. The stealth sections are not the best, but they are optional, and there are a few bugs and such. There is no ACTUAL character customization, but you can change what the protagonist is wearing with quite a bit.
    The combat system works quite well. It may not be the best combat system in gaming history, but it does exactly what is is supposed to do. But all that is just beside the point. The atmosphere, the music and the character lines are just amazing, combining to create one of the best RPG's of all time.

1. Pelit (Finland)