9.3

1. Sep 9, 2016
    The best game of the generation. I don't believe it will be surpassed, but one could hope. If you are a newcomer in the Witcher series, it can seem boring at first, and you will wonder what the fuss is about, but stay with it for a little more, and you won't regret it.

Great PC port, great graphics, great music, best voice acting in business. The story is probably the best in gaming. Tons of meaningful quests and sidequests. The game is HUGE, and not filled with filler, but with substance.

The combat system is cool, a first for the witcher series. The older games had terrible combat systems but we didn't mind because of the other pros.

If you haven't played it yet, get it ASAP. Severely underrated on metacritic, if the "critics" gave 96 to GTA V, this should have gotten a 99...
  2. Jun 1, 2015
    SCORE: 99/100

The hype was worth it, and more. A morally grey world with the best quests ever made in a game. It is officially the best video game I have ever played in my life. It will stick with me forever. The best story I've ever seen in a game and it rivals even Lord of the Rings for books and movies. It has amazing graphics, and continues to impress as you crank it to 1600p and
    SCORE: 99/100

The best story I've ever seen in a game and it rivals even Lord of the Rings for books and movies. It has amazing graphics, and continues to impress as you crank it to 1600p and ultra everything.

The most innovative and intriguing thing about the game is that decisions you make matter (without a simple good/evil bar), and often you will not know the extent of your decisions for hours or even tens of hours (none of this "so and so will remember that" from Telltale games and none of the simple and obvious good/bad choices of almost every other game ever.

It also has fantastic setting and lore, which pays lots of fan service to Witcher 2 fans (like me) but is absolutely accessible to people who never played either other game (like my wife). Finally, it is just plain ridiculously fun and never got old even after 135 hours.

Yes, it is a bit clunky to control (but only out of combat), the swimming is atrociously bad, the inventory cannot be sorted, and some other minor issues as well. But when you absolutely nail every other part of your game, it just doesn't matter.
  3. Jul 10, 2015
    I am not a fan of the Witcher series, I tried to play the the first game along time ago and I thought it was old and boring and the 2nd one kept crashing all the time.. The only reason I even bothered to play the 3rd one was because I played the first 2 hrs on my friends Xbox. Even if you don't really play RPGs or know much about the Witcher series you should consider buying this game. TheI am not a fan of the Witcher series, I tried to play the the first game along time ago and I thought it was old and boring and the 2nd one kept crashing all the time.. The only reason I even bothered to play the 3rd one was because I played the first 2 hrs on my friends Xbox. Even if you don't really play RPGs or know much about the Witcher series you should consider buying this game. The story and presentation are 10/10. Their use of every cinematic tool in the story tellers arsenal is excellent. I don't really care for stories in video games as gameplay is the most important feature of a game for me, but the Witcher 3 story is told so well that the gameplay could get 5/10 and it would still be worth playing. Fortunately the gameplay is 8/10, well enough executed to not get in the way but overall nothing groundbreaking with many missed opportunities.

The combat can be a bit repetitive as the attack patterns of all the enemies lack diversity. Even on the hardest difficulty the game becomes easy as the XP curve is poorly balanced along with the potions, spells (signs), and leveling system. There is already one mod that tries to balance the game better but I haven't had the time to try it out yet. If you're looking for a hardcore experience you should anticipate having to download mods because the vanilla game won't give it to you.

Any weaknesses in the gameplay are made up for with all the other strengths of the game. The visuals are stunning and diverse. One second you might be galloping through a grassy open field and the next you will be trudging through a gassy swamp as thunder clatters overhead. Every enemy class you encounter looks different and unique. The overall world design is rather remarkable making it possibly the best designed video game world to date.

With regards to performance, the 1.07 patch is running flawlessly on ULTRA @ 40-50 fps GTX 970. CDPR is obviously very committed to the PC release and I expect the game in 1-2 years will have many new features and tons of new content that will likely be free.
  4. May 19, 2015
    Best game of the year !
    The Witcher 3 is a beautiful game. Witcher 3 is phenomenal. Witcher 3 is a beautiful open world that juxtaposes violence with beauty. It's a fantastic detailing reveals the consequences of your actions. Armor designs, potion system, and sign upgrades provide an excellent sense of growth (I agree with Gamespot)
    The Witcher 3 have a fairly monumental life. Art
    Best game of the year !
    The Witcher 3 have a fairly monumental life. Art direction that pushes to contemplation, a dense open world in which we like to get lost in the discovery of new places. Witcher 3 have a unique atmosphere, with very striking passages. The quality of the writing of quests and their interconnection is amazing !

it is a masterpiece !

-----------

Français :

Meilleur jeu de l'année!
    The Witcher 3 est un beau jeu. Witcher 3 est phénoménale. Witcher 3 est un monde ouvert magnifique qui juxtapose la violence avec la beauté. Il est un fantastique détaillant révèle les conséquences de vos actions. La conception des armures et leur beauté, le système de potion, et les mises à niveau des signes fournissent un excellent sens de la croissance (je suis d'accord avec Gamespot)
    The Witcher 3 a une vie assez monumentale. Une direction artistique qui pousse à la contemplation, un monde ouvert dense dans lequel nous aimons à se perdre dans la découverte de nouveaux endroits. Witcher 3 a une atmosphère unique, avec des passages mémorables. La qualité de l'écriture des quêtes et leur interconnexion est incroyable!

C'est un chef-d'œuvre!
  5. Jun 11, 2015
    One of the best games of all time. If you are into open world games there is no reason not to get it. If you are into story heavy games there is no reason not to get it. Get it directly on GOG to support CDPR because they actually deserve your money
  6. Jun 23, 2015
    I've been playing this game for over 80 hours and it still feels fresh, I would have finished or got bored of almost any other game but this has me hooked and I can't wait to see what is next in the story.

The graphics are gorgeous and varied, the story is compelling, the missions, even the side quests, are interesting and the Gwent game is a nice little game of its own within the game.

This game is incredible value for money, its hands down the best game I've played in years.
  7. May 21, 2015
    While I feel the game's a mid-90s in quality, I'm bumping that up to 10 to offset the various 0s and 1s docking it FAR too much based on the graphics quality. While there are some negatives that are perfectly valid (such as a 4 that docked most of it based on the control scheme, which I agree is unintuitive), take the lowest scores with a massive grain of salt.

This is a game that is

This is a game that is WELL worth your time based on the story alone, and the combat is just as punishing on the "Broken Bones" setting as The Witcher 2 was - sometimes more, to the point that I'm tempted to toggle the setting down to Normal instead.
  8. Aug 3, 2015
    This game looks gorgeous. Highly detailed, amazing level of detail and texture. The cut scenes are straight from the movies, well directed and exciting.

Initially I found the game a bit overwhelming. Once I pushed through a bit further I started to enjoy more and more. I am playing 1.07 and I find the controls, OK, even though there are just too many buttons to remember and i can't work out how to use the x-bow. The spells are also too much, I can never remember what they do. I am not sure if I like the POV view, I would like to try first person view but that doesn't seem possible.

summary: great story, amazing GFX, so so controls
  9. Jul 16, 2015
    This is one of those games that you can't stop thinking about after you take a break from playing. There have been only a few games, I have ever encountered, that the first thing I want to do when I get home is boot up my PC to play.

The Witcher 3 is one of those games that I check the news for the latest patches at work and buy the guide books (just to own). I save everything before a cut scene, just so I can watch it over or try a different conversation path to see something different. It's that good.

The game does have some flaws, hence why I didn't give it a perfect 10. The same character skins are used too frequently throughout the game losing your immersion in the game. Controls are somewhat messy (you will get used to them). Inventory (which I know they are patching) is currently a hassle. These issues, as well as glitches that hinder you from completing quests do not detract from the overall joy that is The Witcher.

Having played the two previous installments, and enjoying them both, the Witcher 3; however, is in a class all buy itself.

Buy, Play, Enjoy - you will not be disappointed.
  10. Aug 23, 2015
    Probably one of the best games I have ever played!

Played 190 hrs to do everything and cannot wait for the expansions. Pros: story, writing, voice acting, graphics, open world, engrossing, targeted for adults, & fun! Cons: controls could be better for mouse & keyboard, better organization in the inventory, and the strange .3 lag on movement means you have to adapt Overall: if
    Probably one of the best games I have ever played!

Played 190 hrs to do everything and cannot wait for the expansions.

Overall: if you miss this game you really miss out as this is from one of the best studios out there.

How any reviewers rate this less than a 6 other than for a technical issue is absurd when you consider the obvious love and effort the developers put into this game. How can you not like a company that uses no DRM and gives away free DLC...
  11. Fuz
    Jul 18, 2015
    After a few patches the game has improved a whole lot. The control system was quite bad, it's now great. Keybinding is possible for every action (a few are hidden though - need to edit an .ini for that) It's an impressive semi-open world RPG that does lots of things right, has a good combat system, a great story, fantastic characters and absolutely shines on graphics and music.
    Some
    Some little things could have been a little more polished, but as it is the game is quite impressive.

It does have a few flaws:
    - They stated that there wouldn't be any exclusives, but instead they gave the xbox a vastly superior collector's edition with exclusive items for the same price.
    - shoulder camera is incredibly annoying, but fortunately doesn't came up too much.
    - No FOV slider
  12. May 31, 2015
    "This game will be great".
    "This game will be great".
    Having played both predecessors i had quite high expectations from the third (and last?) Witcher game. And the game started just right. When you first launch Witcher 3 and hear the menu music, the song called "Geralt of Rivia" it simply blows you away - it's bombastic, doesn't fall short of epicness - it gets you right into the mood for an epic RPG adventure. Sadly, the level of enthusiasm you get from hearing this music for the first time will be also the highest you're going to reach playing Witcher 3. Everything that comes after clicking on New Game will be less bombastic, less genius than this great song (get the soundtrack guys).

First, i want to start by saying something about the games world. Its an open world and I'm sick and tired of it. Many claim that an open world offers gamers great freedom within the world. You can do literally anything, visit many places, find own adventures and explore at your will. But what if this world is somewhat empty, lacking of genuine and interesting content. No caves to explore, no crypts to unveil, no dark secrets to be found outside of the main quests. This open world then becomes a sandbox full of nothingness. Yes there are forests, lakes and seas with wildlife and to some degree some events in Witcher 3. But I missed something beyond that. something not so superficial. Maybe dangerous caves with dark monster that fit into the apocalyptic Witcher universe (succubus, more ghosts, cursed demons?). Sadly, in most games an open world does not offer such depth and Witcher 3 makes no difference.

Moreover, moving around in this world has its own problems.
    The controls of Witcher 3 are "wonky". I don't know if they deliberately decided to make Geralt turn and react like a snail, but hey they did and i cant get into it. I know many people don't have this problem with W3 but for me, after having played many titles with perfectly precise and responsive controls (Dark Souls, Skyrim and especially Witcher 2) this is a really big problem. I'm getting killed so often on the lowest difficulty because i fail to adapt to Geralts slow reaction and the time it takes him to do anything. It also is annoying as hell and made me quit the game more often than i should quit a AAA title. Yes I quit Dark Souls quite often because of its difficulty. But when I quit Witcher, it's because of the heavy disappointment i get for not being able to defend myself from the enemies (or the games controls yeez).

Lastly, i dislike some of the changes the devs have made with the character and inventory system.
    The new alchemy/potion system is, besides being completely useless because of food healing you way more than a swallow does, really uninteresting. I spent many hours in Witcher 1 farming herbs for the potions and then felt really good about being prepared, in Witcher 2 this was somewhat reduced but still very enjoyable. In Witcher 3 you craft something once, and then forget about it. You can literally craft anything during the first game chapter and then the alchemy system is done for besides from mixing mutagens, which is far less exciting then it may sound.
    The skill progression, at first being very confusing, also does next to nothing to your character progression. There a some few skills such as reflecting arrows or regenerating health during daytime and stamina during night which are very useful but the rest is just minor improvements (5% to potion duration, 5% to damage, etc). Really boring. Compare this with the game changing skill system Witcher 1 where choosing a good skill-set was necessary to survive the game.

I believe Witcher 3 is a great game for most people. But being bound to a mostly boring world and rooted by bad controls I cant find greatness within. I cant see how this is an improvement over Witcher 2.
    So sadly my final score is a 6/10 after having spent many many hours being mostly bored.
  13. Jul 10, 2015
    Witcher 3 is the continuation of the story for the Witcher series. You do not necessarily have to have played the first and second game to understand the story in Witcher 3; however it is recommended you have. Options are provided to allow dedicated fans to import their saved game data and new gamers to the series can use the defaulted world saves.

Witcher 3 is overall an excellent game

Witcher 3 is overall an excellent game and deserves many praises. High graphical fidelity (although lesser than what was displayed at E3), deep and meaningful storyline, great combat system, memorable characters and more. CD Projekt RED should pat themselves on the back for providing DLC's for free. Yes, you hear right; the DLC's we get are free and I am not talking about one or two DLC's. Thus far, they have released 14 free DLC's. CD Projekt RED sets an examine of how the gaming industry should be behaving when it comes to downloadable content.
  14. Dec 2, 2015
    What can I say that hasn't already been said??? Simply put, the closest to perfection game I've played. After 6 months of patches and an expansion the game is fine tuned and overflows with content. Easily the best game I own if not the best ever. Forget game of the year this is game of the century!
  15. Jun 13, 2015
    One of the best Action Rpg games of this century despite some bugs and despite expecting even better graphics (compared to the E3 trailer) this is a truly an AAA title with interesting story, interesting characters, big maps to explore and a lot of quests to do it will keep you entertained for hours. Bravo to CD Project Red for creating a diamond game like this
  16. May 19, 2015
    As many I had some issues with inventory freezing and crashes. But after prologue it disappeared and now Im enjoying the game at its best.
    Pros:
    -Finally I feel like Im a witcher, not just a dude with swords. Quests, contracts, citizens attitude, witcher sense, combat. Everything adds to this feeling. I didnt have it in W2, I have it now. -Even being tuned down, graphics looks awesome.
    Pros:
    -Even being tuned down, graphics looks awesome. Especially characters faces and towns.
    -Amazing soundtrack that adds to the mood.
    -Combat and particularly battles against big monsters. Reminded me of Monster Hunter series. Absolutely awesome on Death March, make me sweat, curse but so satisfying when I finally beat these big bastards.
    -Story, quests and storytelling in general are top notch. The pacing is also very good.
    -Rather balanced economy. I dont **** coin and have to choose where to spend it. Alot goes for food since there is no auto regen on highest difficulty.
    -Horse riding is fluent and feels great.
    -Huge world. It took me 11 hours to just finish first tutorial map. I can see spending hundreds of hours finishing everything. And there is so much to see and explore.

Cons
    -Freezes and crashes in the beginning. Shame that they had so much time to polish game and released it with critical bugs.
    -I dont like changes to alchemy. Would rather see ingredients being useful throught the game.
    -Alot of upgrades to signs and alchemy are meh. I can hardly justify spending points there.
    -Sometimes looting can be a pain since you have to stay directly in front of object.
    -Some armors look silly on Gerald.
    -They had to limit looting inside village houses. I feel like a bandit robbing everyone and it wastes too much time.
    -No cooking. It would fit well here instead of just eating raw meat.

But pros far outweight cons. The game is definetly one of the best RPGs ever made and you just dont want to leave this brutal but damn interesting world. Well done CD Project RED.
  17. May 19, 2015
    10/10 - Running at all ultra settings including Nvidia hair Physics with SLI 780 ti's I've spent over 13 hours in the "Starting area" so far - Uncovered the wickedly awesome Silver Sword of the Viper and Steel Sword of the Viper (For TW2 fans that will ring a bell) - I knew all the talk of downgrade was BS and would state it, but... its an idiots war to attempt to talk reason in those10/10 - Running at all ultra settings including Nvidia hair Physics with SLI 780 ti's I've spent over 13 hours in the "Starting area" so far - Uncovered the wickedly awesome Silver Sword of the Viper and Steel Sword of the Viper (For TW2 fans that will ring a bell) - I knew all the talk of downgrade was BS and would state it, but... its an idiots war to attempt to talk reason in those discussions - The game is beyond gorgeous, when the storms pick up the wind actually bends the trees to the point you can feel that they will snap any moment, the Hair Physics is surprisingly a game changer in immersion, not just for Geralt and NPC's but having this griffon head on my horse (Figure all those individual blue hairs from the griffon) then the horse hairs, gorgeous in motion - the wolves I fought looked outstanding due to the hair physics.

Sunrises and Sunsets are awe-inspiring, its a visual and technical masterpiece; in any genre let alone the Open World 'genre' - Walking into the game world of the witcher for those who havent played TW1 and TW2 Assasins of Kings, I suppose imagine walking into (if you are newer school Skyrim? the first time and multiplying that feeling of "oh holy crap" by one thousand due to the beauty, depth, scope, no load times to transition, and various color pallettes being used).

The combat is arguably perfect - While some reviews state that it is very much an improved Witcher 2 combat system; I feel a lot more from it, in The Witcher 2 you could not one button (alt+direction) parry, and dodge; nor have the precise counter-attacks that are now present - It feels fast and fluid, and it needs to as playing in the third or the fourth difficulty (the two highest) you'll get whooped if you don't time, parry, riposte or counter etc - It's poetry in gorgeous GORE-GEOUS motion.
    Also the crossbow ends up being a godsend - Hilarity ensues when you turn a foes head into giblets with a critical head DEAD center from a good distance.

Just prepare to lose your life or wife - or both.
    The Witcher 3 is all the hype and more.
  18. Jun 25, 2015
    You can make an outstanding game and still have made some big mistakes along the way. I believe this is precisely what has happened with CD Projekt Red on the Witcher 3 and here's why..

I love open world games and the freedom they give to the player. The elder scrolls have long been my favourite series for this reason. There's a trade off insofar as open world risks unfocused main plot-lines and characters with insuficient depth. Does there need to be a trade off? Perhaps not, but I can't think of any obvious open world games where you have free exploration in a huge world as well as very strong characters and lots of depth to your interactions. I question whether the open world approach was either ncessary or the correct one. You create difficulties for yourself such as how to maintain the right level of difficulty throughout. The learning curve in TW 3 is excellent but the game becomes too easy by the end - and I have no particular talents as a gamer and was on the second highest difficulty. This is part and parcel of the open world approach where the player can go anywhere at any time and you have to be prepared for that as developers.

In doing so, I entirely acknowledge how brilliant the world they crafted was and how much pleasure it has given lots of people. The problem is for those of us coming off the back of the previous witcher games, Wild Hunt simply couldn't offer comparable plot strength, politcal intrigue, or interesting character interactions.

Its exceptionally brave to change a thing which is not broken - indeed the Witcher 1 and 2 were incredibly successfull and we got to know many characters very well. i have heard it said that it was always the goal of Wild Hunt to produce a highly personal storyline rather than such a political one. I understand but have to question the logic of such an apolitical storyline following so hotly on the heels of two incredibly complex, fascinating, political plots which set the third game up so well. I don't understand the sense in setting up the third game as well as they did if they always intended to detour off into such a contrastingly different approach. I myself have also red the books and never thought the whole plot around Ciri & the elder blood was at all well crafted.

I mentioned the lack of focus issue... in Wild Hunt there is a certain quest where you embark upon an assassination attempt of a certain important person.... this should have incredible impact upon the main story or the world generally - but when it happens, it does not feel that anything important has transpired - it simply feels like yet another side quest and it's a huge anti-climax if I'm being fully honest.

...despite my personal feelings there is still an incredible game here as most sensible people will acknowledge.
    The world is huge and utterly beautiful.
    Crafting is a very deep process as is alchemy
    There is so much diffferent equipment to disover and so many quests to be found throughout the world
    Combat is improved
    You get to visit Kaer Morhen again!

You will have an amazing time playing this game but it will leave you feeling a bit empty when you complete it - you may be left wishing for just a little extra.

My final reflection would be this - Wild Hunt has hundreds and hunreds of quests... TW 1 and 2 had a tiny fraction of this. Did it matter? Not to me.

My feeling is that who cares about scale and quantity if the quality is right. less can be more, in art as in life, and I wonder whether Open World was really the right approach for this already hugely sucessfull series.
  19. May 24, 2015
    Incredibly long main quest line: check
    Incredibly beautiful game with many details, originality and depth: check
    Everything is voiced perfectly, every single quest: check
    Movement and combat system is acceptable, but not perfect: check (much like the other games. Not a perfect combat system, but its still great.
  20. May 19, 2015
    More open, ok graphics though not what I was hoping for. Spend less time looking at Geralts back than in TW2 but still this pathetic console field of view and no field of view slider in 2015!! Damn consoles holding everyone back a decade and turning a lot of people off gaming in general.

PC gamers run current hardware that can cope with a decent field of view in whatever resolution they run at. I don't expect to be limited by developers too lazy or cheap to rework textures to provide a decent field of view. You cant even move the camera back a bit.

The environment is well done, yet somehow, that just makes it more annoying that your playing at such as bad field of view. Doubt I will finish it, way too annoying and I have a PC precisely because gaming in the ridiculous field of view forced on consoles is really distracting. What a waste.
  21. Jun 5, 2015
    Loving it so far. Although technically an Open World game, the main storyline flows quite well without most of the flaws of your typical open world game, it feels more like a linear main storyline with side quests (which is probably a good thing as it gives the designers a greater ability to make an engaging main storyline). The graphics are incredible, the detail on some of the armorLoving it so far. Although technically an Open World game, the main storyline flows quite well without most of the flaws of your typical open world game, it feels more like a linear main storyline with side quests (which is probably a good thing as it gives the designers a greater ability to make an engaging main storyline). The graphics are incredible, the detail on some of the armor especially the chain mail is mind-boggling. My only complaint so far is the looting system, it's sometimes annoying to get into a position where you loot an item, I often end up activating a torch or candle instead of looting the item because I'm not exactly in the right position, they could have done that better. But overall an awesome game so far. A word of warning though, there is no way to change the main character's looks or voice so if you don't like Geralt that might put you off buying this game. Expand
  22. Jun 24, 2015
    One of the best games of the year for sure! I can only say that now since all the crashes have finally seemed to stop for me. The design in graphics in this game is great for the most part. I did come across some walls that looked like terrible back drops or a piece of rope that looked horribly pixel-ed. This game can be played with K+M just fine. The game, without a doubt, is builtOne of the best games of the year for sure! I can only say that now since all the crashes have finally seemed to stop for me. The design in graphics in this game is great for the most part. I did come across some walls that looked like terrible back drops or a piece of rope that looked horribly pixel-ed. This game can be played with K+M just fine. The game, without a doubt, is built around a controller. This game is not open world like Skyrim, as I thought it would be. I would compare open world more relative to Dragon Age games. However, majority of the areas are extremely big which is okay with me. I have not had any issues with controls and combat. They seem to be responsive and don't feel clunky at all. This game managed to keep the AAA cinematic experience. During conversations, the camera pans out and in, people use facial emotions and body movements. 16 pieces of DLC to be given out for free. Majority of these DLC's have been cosmetic. You play as Geralt of Rivia a Witcher . If you were hoping to create your own character, that won't be happening here. Expand
  23. May 23, 2015
    Story, gameplay, characters and MUSIC! - are absolutely top notch. The game looks and feels (Slavic architecture, swamps, marshes, bogs) a lot like the Witcher 1, albeit with a vast, hand crafted open world and better graphics. Surprisingly enough, the game (patch 1.03) is well optimized (it runs perfectly fine on my GTX 750 Ti @ medium settings). It is also worth mentioning that TheStory, gameplay, characters and MUSIC! - are absolutely top notch. The game looks and feels (Slavic architecture, swamps, marshes, bogs) a lot like the Witcher 1, albeit with a vast, hand crafted open world and better graphics. Surprisingly enough, the game (patch 1.03) is well optimized (it runs perfectly fine on my GTX 750 Ti @ medium settings). It is also worth mentioning that The Witcher 3 has the best side quest you have ever experienced in a single player RPG game. Combat was slightly more streamlined (from the previous games) but I still think it is the best in the series. Expand
  24. May 27, 2015
    I am normally very reserved in assigning a 10/10 rating to anything. While The Witcher 3 is not perfect, it is one of the finest games I've ever played in 30 years of playing video games. The scope and size of the game is enormous, feels like 2x the size of Skyrim. At about 35 hours in, I've only explored about 50% of the map. This game takes all that was good about Mass Effect, DragonI am normally very reserved in assigning a 10/10 rating to anything. While The Witcher 3 is not perfect, it is one of the finest games I've ever played in 30 years of playing video games. The scope and size of the game is enormous, feels like 2x the size of Skyrim. At about 35 hours in, I've only explored about 50% of the map. This game takes all that was good about Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim, and of course, previous Witcher titles and wraps them in one cohesive package. Graphics, atmosphere, sound is second to none, the attention to detail is amazing. And the game runs well and is stable: I struggle to remember coming across any bugs.

I would like to give a shout out to the writers and translators. I don't think I've vocally chuckled or thought that's impressive forshadowing, symbolism, clever writing ect so many times in a game.

I'd also like to thank the animators for making human and animal movement soooo very good. For the first time in any game I can remember, character's faces actually express emotion correctly and consistantly!
  25. May 19, 2015
    My first impressions are positive. I hear quite a lot about downgrading but in the end i think the game looks better than any other game released ever. Just my 2 cents. Also on the technical side although its quite hot where i live the game is very well optimized. It uses the CPU and video card properly unlike other games from other publishers and my computer keeps cool. Overall i wasMy first impressions are positive. I hear quite a lot about downgrading but in the end i think the game looks better than any other game released ever. Just my 2 cents. Also on the technical side although its quite hot where i live the game is very well optimized. It uses the CPU and video card properly unlike other games from other publishers and my computer keeps cool. Overall i was shocked at how smooth the game runs on my rig considering the fact my video card is just above minimum spec. The game play is good, i find the controls precise and the difficulty just right on Blood and broken bones. Its too early to give a definitive verdict but as it stands now it is better than any other RPG i have ever played. So for now its 10/10 Expand
  26. Oct 3, 2015
    This is a very, very good game. The story is particularly fine and draws you right into the action with excellent characters and a plot that keeps you interested from start to finish. In addition there are some enjoyable side-quests, ranging from the whimsical (helping an old woman recover her frying pan!) to the dangerous. I even enjoyed the card game.

The combat works well, and the

The combat works well, and the magic actually meshes with sword-play, which is rare for this kind of game. The game map is big enough and varied enough to be interesting, and there's a good fast-travel mechanic that stops long journeys getting boring without spoiling immersion too much.

My only real gripe is the cut-scenes. They're necessary to push the story forward, but they seem to go on far too long. Yes, you can skip them but then you miss important information and don't get the full benefit of the plot. I'd have liked some way of skipping to the next line of dialogue so you can get the whole story without having to wait for every line to be delivered. But that's a very small problem with an otherwise excellent game.
  27. Sep 7, 2015
    I rate this Game as it is and ignore the Downgrade that happened. Otherwise i would have to rate it very low.

Pro: - still very good Graphics - huge World - tons of Quests and Locations - even the smallest sidquest has some Story to it - crafting system give you the best Items in the Game - overall the Story is very entertaining. - brutal finishers and some slatter effects in

Pro:
    - still very good Graphics
    - huge World
    - tons of Quests and Locations
    - even the smallest sidquest has some Story to it
    - crafting system give you the best Items in the Game
    - overall the Story is very entertaining.
    - brutal finishers and some slatter effects in Fights.
    - state of the Art Charackter Animations and Movement
    - Dialog System makes Fun and give you tons of Informations
    - Card Game is Fun, i skipted it at some point. Too many of this.
    - cool Monster Design
    - Dark and brutal World. Hate and Fear at every Corner
    - Ciri is a wonderfull and refreshing Charachter. You will love her.

Con:
    - simple skillsystem, many skills useless
    - Fighting always feels the same. Level 1 Geralt fights almost the same like Level 40 Geralt.
    - Level Balancing is bad, after 10 Hours Geralt is almost undefeatable on any Difficulty, no matter what you skill or what Gear you wear.
    - If you explore "too much" You will become far too powerfull for the Mainstoryline and all Bossfights become a Joke.
    - The Horse sometimes is just stupid.
    - Mainstoty has some Plotholes and will let some serious Topics unanswered.

Overall its a Great Game and it does alot of things right. But for the perfect, the ultimate RPG, there have to be improvements in Case of Skillsystem and Fighting itself.
  28. Nov 5, 2015
    this game does not deserve a 10, it's low for it, it deserve 10 for the game and a +1 for the amazing devs CDPR is one of the best developers in video game history
    THIS GAME IS GAME OF THE DECADE, enough said...
  29. Aug 26, 2015
    Having just completed the game (91hrs clocked) minutes ago, I must recommend it to anyone and everyone that enjoys good storytelling, fluid combat, amazing music, breathtaking visuals, and meaningful player choices. It is one of the most polished and stunning video game experiences I have ever had the privilege to play, and I don't regret a minute that I dumped into it. If you enjoy RPGsHaving just completed the game (91hrs clocked) minutes ago, I must recommend it to anyone and everyone that enjoys good storytelling, fluid combat, amazing music, breathtaking visuals, and meaningful player choices. It is one of the most polished and stunning video game experiences I have ever had the privilege to play, and I don't regret a minute that I dumped into it. If you enjoy RPGs at all, The Witcher 3 is for you. The only downside I can think to put in this review, are a few bugs here and there that make the experience a bit bothersome if you're unlucky enough to run into one of them (though CD Projekt Red is regularly patching the game). That should not dissuade you from playing this amazing game.

[Reposted to PC version because i'm an idiot and reviewed the PS4 version by mistake.]
  30. Jun 11, 2015
    because I'm a witcher's series reader, it always was hard to not like all of these games. I enjoyed first one and second one equally. and finally the third one released. and I played and still play at single breath. why 9 not 10? well, there are some issues with game for me, like surprise game crushes on desktop, several glitched textures and a hanged man with widely spread arms. But,because I'm a witcher's series reader, it always was hard to not like all of these games. I enjoyed first one and second one equally. and finally the third one released. and I played and still play at single breath. why 9 not 10? well, there are some issues with game for me, like surprise game crushes on desktop, several glitched textures and a hanged man with widely spread arms. But, besides that, it was a breath-taking adventure. that, unfortunately, was rushed for me. I intend to return to this game and see, what happened if I'll try different choices. and this game is totally worth your time and money(it's cheaper than god damned DA:I for a twice time) Expand
  31. May 29, 2015
    Бляха муха, CD PROJEKT, Вы сделали игру моей мечты!
    В ней абсолютно все сделано так, как мне хотелось делать в своих играх. Вы - лучшие! И Ведьмак 3 - лучший! Низкий Вам поклон.
  32. May 21, 2015
    This is shaping up to be one of my all time favorite games.

Fantastic story, fantastic quest design and world design. Fun game play and gorgeous graphics.
  33. Jun 21, 2015
    An excellent adventure that concludes the Witcher trilogy. The game does a fine job of melding story and character development as one. In fact, the outcome of the ending is tied to how the player matures Geralt. On top of the strong character building, the game nails world building. The occasional sidequest foreshadows future events, but even standalone quests feel like their own miniAn excellent adventure that concludes the Witcher trilogy. The game does a fine job of melding story and character development as one. In fact, the outcome of the ending is tied to how the player matures Geralt. On top of the strong character building, the game nails world building. The occasional sidequest foreshadows future events, but even standalone quests feel like their own mini stories. The sense of place of this game is secondary only to the likes of Bethesda RPG titles. All that being said, the game is far from flawless. The tightly focused linear narrative in Witcher 2 is not present in the Witcher 3 due to the intrinsic properties of an open world experience. For me, I got overwhelmed with the amount of content in the game. The gameplay overall is much easier to approach than the first two games, but responsiveness is very wonky. Despite these minor setbacks I think the game is one of the finer games in the RPG genre as well as the open world one. 9/10 Expand
  34. May 26, 2015
    I was looking forward to this game so much that I was worried it'd suffer from my overly high expectations. I am overjoyed that it instead, is way better than I imagined.

The graphics are beautiful and the gameplay is simply out of this world. I never believed fast battles could be so fun with a keyboard and mouse and that was one of the things I hated about The Witcher 2. This game however, perfected the battle in such a way that it is just fun fun fun. Well, I play on hard and it does take some planning and careful use of oil and signs but as long as you are aware of what you do, you could get away pretty much scratch free. Simply put, you're in charge of putting down monsters the way you want to.

To add to the beautiful world, the progression system is also very unique. I have fun customising Geralt the way I prefer to play and it there hasn't been any points spent that I regret so far. Equipment is also fun and there's never a must have sword or a clear upgrade. You might stick with a lower damage sword because of the crit chance, or you might prefer to go all out on raw damage. Your witcher, your choice.

Well, I just about forgot about the side games. You can play if you want or just skip it. It's fun though. Seriously speaking, Gwent could be released as a standalone casual card game and it would do very very well.

Overall, I salute CDProjektRed for making such a wonderful cross platform game. PC gamers always fear consolitis which ruins some good games. This game, does not suffer in that regard. It's clear that CD Projekt Red optimise their games properly and actually tested it extensively on PC using mouse and keyboard. I can't say about consoles but from the amount of polish I've seen, I believe that it would be a great experience regardless of your platform of choice.
  35. Jun 8, 2015
    Pros:
    - Amazing story
    - Great world design

Cons:
    - Boring character development
    - Witcher senses and markers on the map are used to solve most quests
  36. Aug 13, 2015
    This review is coming from someone who thinks the first game was -and still is - total trash, and was incredibly bored by the second. Frankly I had no reason to believe this game was anything more than an overrated cluster**** of dated game design like the first two. I eventually gave it a try and I'm damn glad I did. Since I'm giving this game a ten, I'm going to start with the bad. Yes,This review is coming from someone who thinks the first game was -and still is - total trash, and was incredibly bored by the second. Frankly I had no reason to believe this game was anything more than an overrated cluster**** of dated game design like the first two. I eventually gave it a try and I'm damn glad I did. Since I'm giving this game a ten, I'm going to start with the bad. Yes, this game does have it's fair share of problems. This is going to be a detailed review so feel free to skip to the parts you are most interested in.

graphics 8/10
    First of all, CD Projekt has put out yet another game with very beautiful yet very inefficient graphics. I don't want to get into specifics but the framerates on every machine I've seen it run - are incredibly inconsistent. Even on my gtx 960 there are places I simply can't go without having to tolerate sub 30fps, and the gorgeous weather effects are sometimes outweighed by the wild fps drops that come with them. The one thing I can't excuse is the lack of the ability to change the lighting quality. That said, the graphics are incredibly gorgeous when everything clicks and most impressive of all is the seamless transitions between day/night/rain/indoors/outdoors/etc. The detail put into every model, the limitless jaw-dropping vistas and great facial animations all serve to quickly enthrall you in the universe.

UI 3/10
    Not going to dwell on this. The UI is total **** The map doesn't let you zoom out nearly enough; there are no arrows on the world map pointing to the objective; inventory gets cluttered quickly and gives you zero tools to sort/filter/search. The most unforgivable sin is putting all 200-300 of your crafting diagrams in a single, verticle line with no search bar and no filters. It doesn't even have to decency to filter out digrams that the artisan can't craft. "Happy scrolling mother****er" -CD Projekt

Lore 10/10
    I'm going to lump sound, backstory, main plot, and presentation all into this one. At no point in this game does the music fail in its ability to immerse you into whatever it is your doing - whether its exploring, fighting, or just playing gwent. The writing is consistent with the previous games boundless cynicism and sarcastic wit. It can be very annoying sometimes, but for the most part it carries a very solemn tone and an uncensored look at the devastation of conflict. The voice acting is moving, and the game always finds a way to hit you with remorse in whatever it is you're doing. Moral issues in the game are very grey, sometimes too grey; but never fail to leave you with emotions afterwards - and often emotions you don't want. In terms of the experience, it's unrivaled by any game of this generation. Lore in general is rich and consistent, and not overly pushy about reading the countless pages and manuscripts found throughout the journey.

Gameplay 10/10
    Gameplay is the classic area the Witcher series falls flat on it's face. This is the first Witcher game who's combat isn't held back by dated design and an outright bad overall vision. The signs have been much improved so that they all feel useful, and the monsters are dynamic that you aren't forced to use a single repetetive process. Bosses are no longer a matter of simply dying repeatedly until you've memorized all the one-hit-kill animations (Finally). Potions can be taken in combat which rewards players for thinking on their feet rather than simply punishing them for not expecting to be jumped a certain enemy. Yet with the new streamlining to combat, the game still rewards you for being prepared and still rewards you for knowing your enemy. The balance between the two is spot on, and it's both immersive AND fun. While the game does sometimes feel a little over-dependent on enemies stun-locking you, the best experiences this game has to offer are the times when you encounter a new monster. Every monster (and there are MANY) has some unique surprise that makes the first encounter something special. Frankly, the best enemy design I have ever seen. Ever. Character progression is also incredibly rewarding. Items feel unique and powerful, lots of appearances, and skills to facilitate many different playstyles. Gwent is the best minigame ever, as opposed to dice poker which was arguably the worst minigame ever. The world is big, fun to explore, and full of unique places to go. Pacing is brilliant. Shopping also is very immersive as most visits are a relatively even exchange as opposed to just pawning hordes of loot like most other rpg's.

Last note - bugs are uncommon for a game this size.

Overall, the game is more than the sum of it's parts. The experience of playing the game is on the level of a masterpiece and it's problems don't detract enough from it to make me feel any differently. It's hard to describe in words what playing this game is like. All I know is that every session -even over a hundred hours in - makes me walk away feeling like I have a story to tell my friends.
  37. May 30, 2015
    Well, after a little over 100 hours and completing the main story, I'll try to gather my thoughts.

The game is absolutely massive. Even if all you do is the main story, you'll roam all across the map, sail across the sea, see many different and amazing things. The points of interest and secondary wuests scattered around the world feel organic, and the people who give you the quests genuinely feel in need, and make you want to help them.

Of all the secondary objectives, Witcher contracts are by far my favorite. You track down the monster who you've been contracted to kill to find out what it is, so you can prepare yourself for the fight. The bestiary then gives you information on the monster and what is required to kill it, including it's weaknesses and how to make it vulnerable. Tracking and killing the monsters in this game is an incredibly rewarding experience, and by far my favorite thing to do in this game.
  38. May 21, 2015
    This is probably the best RPG of this decade.

While its not entirely perfect, I want to give a 10 for going the extra mile in nearly everything, where other games fall short. A big example of that is that the game provides meaningful quests, all woven into the story. There are no simple fetch quests, everything is intertwined and more complex than it seems with real consequences.
    This is probably the best RPG of this decade.

The beautiful soundtrack and nearly 100 hours of gameplay make this a milestone in gaming
    and hopefully other RPGs will follow in its footsteps. :)
  39. Jul 28, 2015
    Very solid game and really good fun. Ambitious, well executed and visually gorgeous. This game is vast and you can easily lose hundreds of hours exploring and playing this very well envision game. The positives are self evident and its an RPG done to a brilliant standard. Faults are also there, lag in areas, and most notably very poor movement controls. Which for a game like this shouldVery solid game and really good fun. Ambitious, well executed and visually gorgeous. This game is vast and you can easily lose hundreds of hours exploring and playing this very well envision game. The positives are self evident and its an RPG done to a brilliant standard. Faults are also there, lag in areas, and most notably very poor movement controls. Which for a game like this should never of happened. Patches are still inbound to fix things and has also broke things increasing lag further in areas. Not the best post game support to fix issues, which in the modern gaming world isn't good enough. Other then that a great game with a fantastic story. Expand
  40. May 22, 2015
    has adventuring, crafting, fighting, great graphics and performance, moral choices and best of all it has boobs...lots and lotsa boobs. 10/10 would do every girl again.
  41. Jul 25, 2015
    Story is interesting and well-told, the script, characters, and voice acting are great, the setting is intriguing if a bit cliche, the open world feels richly populated, and the graphics are beautiful although short of technologically impressive -- but the combat and exploration, which together take up the majority of the playtime, are atrocious; plagued by indescribably bad controls,Story is interesting and well-told, the script, characters, and voice acting are great, the setting is intriguing if a bit cliche, the open world feels richly populated, and the graphics are beautiful although short of technologically impressive -- but the combat and exploration, which together take up the majority of the playtime, are atrocious; plagued by indescribably bad controls, locomotion, and responsiveness, combat and movement become a chore, and the level design clashes with these weaknesses as it is filled with small obstacles to traversal and encounters is closed spaces. Add to that an awkward and insufficient introduction to mechanics and an expectancy that the player spends time to collect ingredients, the locations of which are unstated, and create oils and potions in preparation for each major battle, the occurrences and details of which are often unknowable beforehand. In general, the game would have done better as a book, from which it was indeed adapted. Expand
  42. Sep 19, 2015
    The problem with most open world games is that narrative tends to lose focus in favor of scenery and distracting endeavors. Unfortunately, the Witcher 3 is not entirely immune to this problem, for there are certainly moments where the world overshadows that of the main story. This said, the Witcher 3 is still perhaps the best open world game you can get, for while it succumbs to theThe problem with most open world games is that narrative tends to lose focus in favor of scenery and distracting endeavors. Unfortunately, the Witcher 3 is not entirely immune to this problem, for there are certainly moments where the world overshadows that of the main story. This said, the Witcher 3 is still perhaps the best open world game you can get, for while it succumbs to the over-hyped value of the open-world, the stories and quests are so well done that it is easy to see past it's flaws.

I have completed most of the game. Of the main quest, I have finished in it's entirety, and I am pretty sure I covered most of the secondary quests and witcher contracts. In spite of the fact that the game is open world, the game has one of the more brilliant narratives I have seen in a AAA RPG, and side quests are just interesting enough that it in the least raises the bar above other RPG's of similar make.

The characters in the game are well written, and to a certain extent, touched me at an emotional level that few other games of its make has ever accomplished. The plot has a few a few twists and turns that kept me wondering what happens next.

Is the Witcher 3 perfect? No. There are some bugs here and there, and there are a few mechanics that can always be improved. But ultimately, I think it deserves a top-notch grade, because there are few games out there that accomplishes as much as the Witcher 3. The game is a work of art, and it is very apparent that the developers put a lot into the game.
  43. May 20, 2015
    This is definitely going to end up as my GOTY. Pillars of Eternity was awesome, but I can not remember the last time a video game world has sucked me in like this one. The amount of content is staggering, but unlike most other open world games, it never feels stale or repetitive. Every side quest feels unique, and almost every small "?" on the map leads to a new mystery to unravel, orThis is definitely going to end up as my GOTY. Pillars of Eternity was awesome, but I can not remember the last time a video game world has sucked me in like this one. The amount of content is staggering, but unlike most other open world games, it never feels stale or repetitive. Every side quest feels unique, and almost every small "?" on the map leads to a new mystery to unravel, or treasure to be discovered. There are so many villages to liberate, caves and temples to explore, and missing people to find, that you almost forget that there was even a main storyline in the first place. In this regard, it is much like Elder Scrolls games, but with more unique and interesting back stories to each quest.

The combat is a vast improvement over the previous 2 games in the series, and is quite enjoyable and challenging. The main story arc, although I am not that far into it, seems incredible so far. I have a medium level rig, and on medium/high settings, the game runs smooth as silk, and it is a gorgeous, so no complaints in that department. The only negatives I have been able to spot so far have been some minor clipping issues, and the movement can be a little awkward at times. Nothing major to detract from one of the greatest games I can remember playing in quite some time.
  44. Aug 5, 2016
    If you think that the best fantasy RPGs of the past 10 years are the Witcher 2, Skyrim, and the original Dragon Age, you will LOVE this game.

This is, IMO, the greatest fantasy RPG since Ultima 7. Gameplay, voice acting, graphics, world building, storyline... this is an amazing game. It is the first game that I have played in years where I will occasionally sit back after a cut scene

This is, IMO, the greatest fantasy RPG since Ultima 7.

Gameplay, voice acting, graphics, world building, storyline... this is an amazing game. It is the first game that I have played in years where I will occasionally sit back after a cut scene and say "Wow, how did they come up with this?"

Quality, quality, quality.
  45. May 26, 2015
    This game is easily GOTY for me. Incredible story, graphics, atmosphere, music, developer support. I always knew that CDPR delivers really well, but they blew away ALL of my expectations. I am 100 hours into the game and I didn't even get past the second "area". HOW DID THEY MAKE SUCH A GOOD GAME.
  46. May 19, 2015
    This could be the best rpg ever created - however the pc version is not as good as it should be. Controls are not optimized for pc and graphic options should be better. However, aside from that the game is almost unbelievable in quality.
  47. Jul 18, 2015
    The best work in the gaming industry. The Poles have done the impossible, they have created a game that proved to me that even the player with the most experience, can get pleasure from the game. Thank you for that.
  48. May 24, 2015
    One of the best games ever made. Especially as an open world. I have spent hours and hours just running around observing interesting aspects of the world. Animals just like people sleep/hunt at specific times of the day. Go to a cave and a werewolf may only appear after sunset. Go to the same cave during the day and it will be completely empty and you can loot the interesting items within.One of the best games ever made. Especially as an open world. I have spent hours and hours just running around observing interesting aspects of the world. Animals just like people sleep/hunt at specific times of the day. Go to a cave and a werewolf may only appear after sunset. Go to the same cave during the day and it will be completely empty and you can loot the interesting items within. Too often its easy for developers to artificially insist on blocks to prevent getting rewards without fighting the monster. This is the first game which sticks to the law. If you can exploit the world, you should be able to get your reward. This is just one of the many examples of how this world has been finely crafted. Even simple side quests have a level of emotional investment that make them interesting. Its the little threads, the extra attention which has made this probably one of the most memorable games in recent times. A true landmark for this age on how current technology can be leveraged for entertainment. This is second only to the world of GTA 5. In some cases, it may be even better. The combat has been improved as well. It is a lot more responsive. It can be as hard as you want it to be. For veterans I suggest atleast the blood and broken bones. It makes you care enough to read the beastiary and prepare for the encounters ahead. It makes you care about weaknesses. This is the true way to play the witcher 3. No other game has had such deep combat with an addictive and immersive world.
    On the negatives, the removal of a storage system, limitations on skills, lack of consistency with movement (Why not go the extra distance and add animations for picking up objects ..given there is delays in changing direction) and random physics bugs of rag doll objects are annoying, yet minor issues when compared to everything this game gets right.
    Sometimes, its good to look over the few negatives and enjoy the spectacle and get immersed in an adventure that has been lovingly crafted. DO it with the witcher 3 and pay attention to the details to truly enjoy this game.
  49. Oct 25, 2015
    A good open world game with plenty of written dialogue and story. I'm sure you have seen a lot of positive reviews about these. Where the game falls flat on it's face for me is the RPG system and clunky combat.

In an RPG with equipment, a player must desire the next piece of gear and see it's improvement over the existing gear. Here I don't feel it. The item level system kills all the fun. I cant wear or craft most of the items I find. The items that I find are rarely better than what I already have. The result is that I don't care about loot.

An RPG where I don't care about loot fails, because after a while a player stops caring about world exploration or dungeons. This happened in skyrim and other TES games, and this happened here as well.

Random loot generation is the exact opposite of a well written dialogue - I can loot diamond dust, silver and other "relic" components from a ransacked peasant hut in a war torn land... Peasants talk about darning socks and have emerald dust stashed in a loot sack.

Which brings me to crafting - the system is unmanageable, with more than a hundred components. Sounds good on paper, but in reality I stopped caring about crafting, just grab plants when I see them and occasionally buy extra from vendors.

The crafter levels required to make items is a HORRIBLE idea - I'm fast travelling all over the world to find a blacksmith AND armorer to make my level 11 set of witcher gear.

Don't get me wrong, both previous witcher games had clunky combat, but here I feel like most of the time I'm button mashing, with the Witcher spinning on screen. The health numbers are incomprehensible - I have 3700 health, yet a couple of level 4 drowners can land a couple lucky hits on me for somewhere between 1000-2000 damage on "blood and broken bones" difficulty. The combat is extremely random - at one point I can slaughter 6-7 drowners without a scratch, other times I get stunlocked and even exploding quen does not help me walk out with more than 5% health remaining.

Finally the dialogue does not really offer any choice - throughout many story and other quests, I have an option to agree or ask a question then agree to a quest. I can listen to bloody baron then help him or tell him to shove it, then help him.
  50. Jul 5, 2015
    THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES.
    There i've said it.
    Tedious connection of cut scenes with turgid chit chat which only propels you to travel somewhere else to meet same person for more tedious chit chat. Away from main "story" line is more interesting, places to see people/monsters to kill. But after a few of these, the realisation that it is SO repetitive: destroy monster nest/use witcher
    THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES.
    There i've said it.
    Away from main "story" line is more interesting, places to see people/monsters to kill. But after a few of these, the realisation that it is SO repetitive: destroy monster nest/use witcher sense to find lost brother/lover/pet horse, kill monster/bandits for treasure chest.
    At its core this is what's bad about Open World games,. Unless you have a tight involving story line that takes you on a journey to take in side quests and characters, there becomes less and less that takes you by surprise, and you end up through rote reflexes playing half asleep.
    I ended up caring not a jot about Geralt Ciri Dandelion or any other half baked characters or their relationships or what becomes of them..
    Absolute worst EVER moment in gaming history has to be Coitus on Unicorn. Embarrassing.
    If you buy into the Lore of the Witcher universe there may well be enough to keep you interested, otherwise if you're just curious don't waste your hard earned.
  51. May 21, 2015
    This review is first going to rebuttal some common (and asinine) complaints I've been seeing while paroozing the negative reviews.

Controls: On a controller, the game plays perfectly fine. Horse combat could use some work, but there's nothing there that you cannot easily adapt to. I cannot speak for keyboard, as I've stuck with controller for this game. Graphics: You people are

Controls:

Graphics:
    You people are still seriously falling for bullshots? Really? How naive are you? Not to mention, it still looks spectacular. The textures are extremely good considering it's an open world game that isn't demanding 4GB of VRAM for these textures. Beyond that, the lighting and weather are masterfully implemented, and do a splendid job at making the world seem real and tangible.

And as a special message to that individual that said Skyrim can look better: You are literally insane and need to seek professional help.

Optimization:
    The optimization (for Nvidia and Intel, anyway, as that's what I have) is very good. I'm running 2011 hardware (2600k i7, GTX 580, 2 in SLI), most of my settings are on high (some on medium, some on ultra, I'm also using HBAO+) and I still get 50-60 at all times. Every so often, it'll dip a bit lower in particularly intense situations, and in the middle of nowhere I'm in the 70's. And things look downright beautiful at these settings. If you're having a problem, there's either an AMD issue I don't know of (likely, as W3 was made very closely with Nvidia), or an issue with your computer. I'm several generations behind, and do just fine.

In my opinion, (which includes over 25 years of experience and countless hundreds of games) Witcher 3 is a borderline masterpiece. It's not quite worthy of a 10, but it's more than worthy of a 9. I could easily make an argument to include it in a top 10 or top 20 games of all time, but I will hold off on that until I 100% the game. And from what I read, that will take me several hundred hours, which is not at all a negative for me.

Lastly, Witcher 3 is likely going to be my personal GOTY. I have some hope for Metal Gear, but Witcher 3 is going to be hard to top.
  52. May 24, 2015
    Sometimes I give a 10 to counter the 0s... this is a true 10/10 experience. If you love RPGs and brilliant storytelling in an expansive open world.. well, this is the best game I've ever played that covers all of these aspects.

It's right up there with Mass Effect as my favourite RPG of all time, it's sad, it's exhilarating, it's The best Witcher game that anyone could have ever made. Thank you, CDPR.
  53. May 1, 2016
    This game is as good as the hype and the rating, which is rare. It's huge, it's well written, it's beautiful, the combat is intuitive and hard to master, the acting, the design, everything comes together. It's a rare gem, it really is. If you're looking for a large RPG to really emerge yourself in, this is the best you'll see around. I've played computer games since the 80s and this joinsThis game is as good as the hype and the rating, which is rare. It's huge, it's well written, it's beautiful, the combat is intuitive and hard to master, the acting, the design, everything comes together. It's a rare gem, it really is. If you're looking for a large RPG to really emerge yourself in, this is the best you'll see around. I've played computer games since the 80s and this joins a pantheon of a handful truly stellar games like Civilization I, Thief The Dark Project, Europa Universalis, Baldur's Gate that stand out as true masterpieces of the industry.

The only less than brilliant thing in the game is the Skellige area which isn't as astoundingly fantastic as Velen and Novigrad (they are so ridiculously well made with such an attention to detail and life that it's genuinely mind-blowing) but it's still very good.

One of the impressive thing is the story-telling, which has become standard in the witcher games but should never be taken for granted anyway. Arguably, we'll never see the level they reached in Witcher I simply because the game is more mainstream now than back then, but the structuring of the narrative is impressive and the choices made and how they affect the final outcome make sense and feel smooth. The only word of caution is that some choices made regarding the romantic outcomes are made very early and are irreversible so if you care a lot about that aspect, I recommend finding a short post about it that doesn't spoil too much before you play the game too far. The choices regarding Ciri's story are just splendid, she comes alive as a complex and loveable character which is really, really hard to achieve for a character that isn't the main protagonist. The main story in general is fantastic as usual, subtle details for the enthusiast, solid telling for the main stream gamer.

You can easily spend 250 hours on this game and still have places unexplored. You won't be bored either, it won't feel like they're trying to copy/paste scenarios to stretch the runtime, the game has insane value.

Witcher III is a really impressive feat as is the entire franchise series - arguably the best franchise series ever made in gaming. Well done CD Project Red, please never stop being you (I'm looking at you Bethesda).
  54. May 21, 2015
    This game is truly amazing! Awesome graphics and amazing story. I did not encounter even a single bug to be honest. Best action RPG of all time? Propably YES!
  55. May 21, 2016
    One of the best RPGs of all time. Great story (both the main story, and sidequests), great characters, great graphics, great combat (I believe that people who didn't like combat in this game just don't understand it/didn't get used to it). The first expansion, Hearts of Stone, is also great, check it out! Blood and Wine will probably be great too.
  56. May 19, 2015
    Beautiful game. This is must-have for RPG lovers! Optimization is so good that I can even run it on my old gtx 560ti (medium-high graphic settings) Thank you CDP Red you've made it! It will be definitely a game of the year!
  57. May 24, 2015
    Best RPG game ever! Big open world! Very good story and combat ! Must have for fans of RPGs. Music and graphics are top top-notch. Its Masterpiece from CDProjectRed!!!
  58. op8
    May 19, 2015
    After 16 hours I am completely satisfied. The game has met all my expectations and is superb. Runs solidly @1080P on a 780ti & i7 4770k & 16gb. The complaint about a downgrade was overblown and the early benchmarks that were released by a publication were completely wrong. If I leave it on unlimited framerate I get between 60-80fps. This is on ultra with just hairworks completely OFF. ItsAfter 16 hours I am completely satisfied. The game has met all my expectations and is superb. Runs solidly @1080P on a 780ti & i7 4770k & 16gb. The complaint about a downgrade was overblown and the early benchmarks that were released by a publication were completely wrong. If I leave it on unlimited framerate I get between 60-80fps. This is on ultra with just hairworks completely OFF. Its a lot better if I leave the framerate limiter locked at 60, that way it stays rock solid and doesn't dip, outdoors or indoors. The game is very immersive, with great quests, characters and exploration that is rewarded. Combat is a bit of an improvement on Witcher 2, not amazing but functional and fun. Overall really happy that its met my expectations. 10/10. Expand
  59. May 19, 2015
    Outstanding, jaw dropping experience. Must have for every PC gamer. Truly captivating story, impressive graphics, great game play. I can't imagine how they could make this game better.
  60. May 20, 2015
    Kevin VanOrd hit the nail on the head. The 3rd Witcher game does so much fantastic, so much right that the minor annoyances really don't detract from the game whatsoever. I find it ironic that I'm playing on an all AMD system and I've not experienced but 1 crash. Running everything on Ultra except AA and blur off and even maxxed at 5760x1080 the game plays fantastic. Running:

Dual

Dual Sapphire Tri-X R9 290Xs in Eyefinity
    Asus Sabertooth 990fx Gen 3
    Win 7-64
    8GB Gskill Ripjaw
    1TB WD Velociraptor
    All pumping out on an old Logitech 5500 5.1 THX system.

About 20 hours in and only 1 crash. None of this stuttering Nvidia folks seem to be complaining a lot about. No hard crashes. No jerky camera movement. Swordplay is fluid and dynamic. Entire world is breathing with things to see and do and conquer.

By far the best open world RPG ever created. Hands down. I've been gaming for 40 years and I've yet experienced such a cinematic, fluid and creative rpg. If Cyberpunk (CDPR's next game) is as amazing as the 3rd Witcher we are in for a serious treat. Kudos. Bravo!
  61. Aug 11, 2015
    This is the best game I've ever played, and I started gaming with planescape torment. There were moments in this game where I just stared at the screen, filled with wonder or a profound sadness. There were even times I would pause the game, particularly when I knew a big decision was coming up. I would go and make sure everything was done so I wouldn't be disturbed, come back with coffeeThis is the best game I've ever played, and I started gaming with planescape torment. There were moments in this game where I just stared at the screen, filled with wonder or a profound sadness. There were even times I would pause the game, particularly when I knew a big decision was coming up. I would go and make sure everything was done so I wouldn't be disturbed, come back with coffee in hand and just enjoy the ride.

The game took 100 hours for me to finish, and I still had a full quest log. By that point though i was ready to see the story through. The choices I made in the game I felt were true to Geralt and though I had one of the bittersweet endings, it feels authentic -- I got what I deserved :). I am also particularly happy I played it on the second hardest setting - got to explore the deep combat as well.

Now that it is all over I feel a little sad. The same type of feeling I've always had when I finished reading a fantastic epic. So now I'm going to get the books by Andrzej Sapkowski, and I can't wait.

This is the first time (since Planescape) that I've felt so engrossed in a video game, and cared about its characters, dreamt about them, and want to talk to everyone about the experience. This is proof that the video game medium can be used to tell the kind of emotive and epic stories we grew up with! The future is bright!

Well done CD Projekt RED
  62. Jul 21, 2015
    When we're dead and gone and long forgotten the dictionary with have an entry under the word "epic" that reads: "i.e. Witcher 3." It's taken what was already a serious adult RPG with a compelling story and not just built on what worked, but expanded and revolutionized. There is immense freedom and choice. Even small interactions can lead to future varied interactions. It's rare that youWhen we're dead and gone and long forgotten the dictionary with have an entry under the word "epic" that reads: "i.e. Witcher 3." It's taken what was already a serious adult RPG with a compelling story and not just built on what worked, but expanded and revolutionized. There is immense freedom and choice. Even small interactions can lead to future varied interactions. It's rare that you can actually feel that the designers and programers and writer actually love their job and their creation. Witcher 3 wreaks of passion. There are potentially hundreds of hours here with content still coming. And again, as I said for Witcher 2 (so far) the content is free! Combat is actually tighter and more dialed in than the last episode with even more options. But what's more important is the story was paced perfectly, largely because I could go at my own pace and the resolution was excellent because I largely chose what would happen. There is some much to praise, I'll run out of room if I continue. Since most people aren't reading past the green number and first few sentences I'll simply say I couldn't ask for anything more in a game. Now CD Red, please give me more! Expand
  63. Jun 2, 2015
    The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt is a Masterpiece.
    A amazing Storyline and character creation.
    Probably one of the best games i've ever played. Perfect!
    Graphically beautiful, music amazing, gameplay smooth. Can't fault it.
  64. May 19, 2015
    The graphics although amazing are not as mind-blowing as we all thought it would be but the everything else has way surpassed my wildest expectations. The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt is absolutely a masterpiece of epic proportions and a huge step forward for gaming in general.
  65. May 20, 2015
    The game is definitely one of the best open world RPG's out there. The scale is amazing, the main story and side quests are top notch (NO fetch quests AT ALL) and the combat is great it can be difficult but rewarding. There are a few bugs here and there but nothing game breaking. The graphics are slightly different than that of the VGX trailer shown about 2 years ago, but they are stillThe game is definitely one of the best open world RPG's out there. The scale is amazing, the main story and side quests are top notch (NO fetch quests AT ALL) and the combat is great it can be difficult but rewarding. There are a few bugs here and there but nothing game breaking. The graphics are slightly different than that of the VGX trailer shown about 2 years ago, but they are still truly amazing. The world just looks gorgeous and it's more alive than anything i've played so far.
    The game easily deserves a 9 or maybe even more. The reason i am giving it a 10 is because of all the zero that keep popping up. A person that gives this game a zero has obviously NEVER played it or is just a hater and biased against it.
    A truly magnificent game, buy it.
  66. May 20, 2015
    Simply horrible trees, bushes, grass and the way they are moving...
    Very good buildings, ppl, monsters, animals and all of the rest.
    Amazing story! enough for Score 10, -1 for trees etc. +1 for graphic of the rest so it's still a good 10/10
  67. May 20, 2015
    To the guy who said this = runs @ 55-60 fps @ 1200p on 4 year old hardware wich is good,
    graphics 3/10 = 4 year old rig, not suppriesed, probably would even run at al, I smell B*** ****
    gameplay 5/10 ( kbm controlls are crap ) = more like youre crap at games. story 7/10 = So you completed it in less than 24 hrs? I smell B*** **** again sounds/1/10 your 4 year old rig man, come on have
    gameplay 5/10 ( kbm controlls are crap ) = more like youre crap at games.
    story 7/10 = So you completed it in less than 24 hrs? I smell B*** **** again
    sounds/1/10 your 4 year old rig man, come on have you really played the game?
    music 0/10 = This is where I'm starting to doubt you've even played the game and your 4 year old rig, let me guess a lap top too.
    atmosphere 2/10 = this **** is made up, Does anyone believe this guy??

This is what I really hate about User Reviews, Too many trolls but even the 10 out of 10s has anyone even completed the game yet I doubt it but we are forces to give untrue review because of these idiots lying through there teeth just because they cant afford to up grade their pcs to run it and they have been warned you need a high end PC to run it.
    Scores mean absolutely nothing good and bad. everything hear is a review in progress and not a real review. I absolutely love this game so far, it seems it may be the next revolution of games and other devs can learn from this but I haven't finished the game yet, I've put in 15ish hours so I cant review it and don't want to score it but I have no choice on this site so only the first 15 hours gets a 10 out of 10 hopefully it stays through out coz the story is amazing the graphics have not been downgraded, the demo was 4k everything maxed out, unless you have that set up forget it, (there will be sweet fx mods anyway) sound and music are movie standard, music is some of the best video game music ever. Game play is hard but enjoyable, unfortunatley 3rd person suffer in most games eg GTA 5, Red Dead and this game they all get a little bit fiddly in tight spots and thats' the only thing Skyrim does better, First person switchs (Skyrim had the worse 3rd person ever) It's such a same Witcher doesnt have that option coz the world is the best looking openword game of all time.
  68. Mar 18, 2016
    Arguably the most refined game in the series. Witcher 1 felt like a point and click adventure with terrible combat (and too much of it). Witcher 2 had a story that felt like a cliff hanger interlude, a diversion from the over arching narrative. Witcher 3 caps the series nicely and ties into the novels in a more meaningful way than its predecessors.

The open world is divided into a

The open world is divided into a few different areas featuring a good amount of geographic diversity. There is a lot to explore and uncover but it does not feel as rewarding as it should. Weapons and equipment are locked by character level. You can craft the high level items if you have the materials, but you won't be able to use them until much later in the game. Witcher gear is often the best equipment in the game. You "unlock" witcher gear by completing Treasure Hunt quests - exploring the game world to find the diagrams so craftsmen can make it for you. Witcher contracts provide your primary source of income - slaying monsters or solving problems usually involving monsters for peasant villagers and the like. Because quests have a recommended level, it can be difficult to get going at first. You can, of course, brave high level quests at a low level, but on higher difficulties this is not advisable.

Overall, the story is very good. It ties into characters from the novels not featured in previous games. Due to the open world mechanic, the pacing of the story will vary with how much emphasis the player places on pursuing the main quest or getting lost in side quests and activities. Players who spend their time trying to eek out everything the world has to offer might feel the game has poor pacing. It's difficult to care about the urgency of the main quest when Geralt is more concerned about doing side jobs or playing card games with NPCs.

Many quests have surprisingly well written twists in the narrative. Things are often very cynical and this gets repetitive. I also felt this way about the novels in general. The writers for this game have emulated the author's writing style so well some side plots or twists in the narrative become very predictable.

Character leveling allows for a wide variety of builds on three archetypes - combat, signs, and alchemy. You can mix and match to your heart's content. You get 1 skill point per level but can accumulate more through world exploration.

Combat is fluid and responsive. A great variety in enemies requires a great variety in tactics. You can drink potions in combat again and switching between equipment is very easy with the pop up wheel. The mouse and keyboard controls are fine but I found the game a lot more enjoyable with a game pad. Parrying or deflecting arrows no longer consumes stamina - only signs do. Every time you meditate, alcohol is consumed to replenish both potions and bombs.

Overall great game. Some people might wish exploring the world yielded more XP or material reward. The game's length is somewhat artificially padded by requiring you to pursue side activities in order to advance your character or produce/procure supplies. This could lead to pacing issues for some people. Great, if sometimes predictable, story with memorable characters and events.
  69. May 19, 2015
    Look - I've played for a few hours so this is a review in progress.

I'm posted it now though because I've had to stop playing because I feel sick! The PC version has shipped WITHOUT an FOV (field of view) slider. What this means is we are locked with a narrow, zoomed in camera that is so close it's suffocating. The PC isn't a console - we don't need to be locked into these narrow
    Look - I've played for a few hours so this is a review in progress.

The PC isn't a console - we don't need to be locked into these narrow FOVs - and to do so when sitting up close to a 30 inch monitor is a recipe for headaches and nausea. The Steam and GOG forums are littered with threads bemoaning this almost unforgivable oversight (it's 2015 - FOV sliders should come as standard).

So while I'm enjoying the game; while the mood and the visuals are uniformly excellent - and the story has me hooked and there's been no crashes (frame rate dips every now and then with my GTX 780 but it's fine on medium settings) - I can't rate a game highly that prevents me from playing it because it makes me ill!

Fix it!

I'll come back and adjust my review (and score) when it's patched and I can play the game without being sick.
  70. May 22, 2015
    Great game, great story, 2nd characters the same good as in Mass Effect trilogy, quests even better, grafics just Crysis 3 may say that is better, im playing 20 h only but the game is awesome ... just now is one of my best gaes played ever, just right and left side with ME trilogy and resident evil 2/3
  71. Nov 9, 2015
    TW3 is a strong narrative-based RPG that takes place on a enormous stage, and is probably the only narrative-based AAA RPG title to have done this well. Most of the story is on par with the earlier games, occasionally even exceeding them, but also falling short in a few places. Just as TW2's showed us a good character whom a bad situation forced to do something horrible that affected aTW3 is a strong narrative-based RPG that takes place on a enormous stage, and is probably the only narrative-based AAA RPG title to have done this well. Most of the story is on par with the earlier games, occasionally even exceeding them, but also falling short in a few places. Just as TW2's showed us a good character whom a bad situation forced to do something horrible that affected a whole kingdom, TW3 repeats something similar on a personal level, and shows us its relevance in the world by rendering nearly the whole thing for us to explore. The player can appreciate the unpretentious story at whatever desired depth--literary or just fun--it's good all the same. TW3 repeatedly provokes the player with morally ambiguous situations, and this is precisely why it is an adult RPG--not because of the r-rated content but because it doesn't sugarcoat life for you. That being said, there are at least two major cases of plot armor in the story, and at least one annoying plot hole. The story also suffers from pacing issues, which brings me to the many ways the game has suffered by jumping on the open world bandwagon. Hours of carefree exploring can clash with the supposed urgency of some quests. The game also suffers from a difficulty hill. Combat is fun when it is hard and limitations compel the player to be careful and strategize, but those limitations evaporate soon after level 10 in the vanilla game and thereafter nearly everything is easy. Even with the Enhanced Combat mod--which delays the difficulty "hill"--on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty the game is disappointingly idiot-proof. And speaking of idiot-proof, that brings me to the alchemy system, which has the bizarre property of auto-refill in spite of the vast amount of (overwhelmingly useless) loot there is to be found. We fans begged CDPR not to do this and they didn't listen, instead nerfing the alchemy in fear that no one would use it. And, yet, they already had two very good alchemy systems in their two earlier games! The easy combat is contrasted with the nearly impossible fist fighting, which is not much easier than the Operator fight in TW2. Your character can take a few blunt hits with a sword, but he can't take four punches. I'm also quite disappointed by how the enemies respawn. Is implementing permanent death for enemies really that hard? I'm a software engineer and I really doubt it. Soured as I am by these flaws, they are still outweighed by the breadth and depth of this game. TW3's world makes sense as a society, and the cities look like they were made by people who have seen real mediaeval cities (instead of Disneyified bs) and the combat is strategic and interesting--not simple potion spam. Over all I'd say this game deserves 8/10, but with mods I'd lift that to 9/10. I can't give it 10 with the flaws it has. That being said, I hope it becomes influential and a wake-up call to the industry and the generic riskless material it keeps producing. Expand
  72. May 21, 2015
    It's Thursday, May 21st. The Witcher 3 launched on the 18th. The developers have released two patches to address issues and community concerns already. I have 28 hours of playtime under my belt and I can honestly say this is the most fun I have had in a video game in over a decade. A single player video game, even longer. The Witcher 3 is a 10/10, CD Projekt Red has hit a home run withIt's Thursday, May 21st. The Witcher 3 launched on the 18th. The developers have released two patches to address issues and community concerns already. I have 28 hours of playtime under my belt and I can honestly say this is the most fun I have had in a video game in over a decade. A single player video game, even longer. The Witcher 3 is a 10/10, CD Projekt Red has hit a home run with this one guys.

The main difference between this game and other RPGs is the quests are all wonderful. Every side-quest is well thought out and fun to complete. There is absolutely none of that "kill 10 x and loot 8 y" nonsense that plagues modern RPGs like a pox. Everything I have experienced in this game has been consistently enriching and enjoyable. The Witcher 3 even comes loaded with a full-blown TCG that is associated with quests lines of its own that span the entire continent. I have enjoyed traveling from village to village to challenge innkeepers and win their special cards as much as I have enjoyed hunting monsters during witcher contracts.

It has been a long time since I felt the need to eagerly listen to and dissect every piece of dialogue in a video game. The voice acting is top notch, leading to wonderful, compelling character encounters. In terms of side-quests there is so much to do, so many monsters to hunt, so many problems to solve, and so many Gwent cards to win that most players will find themselves completely overwhelmed in the best possible way.

The combat is a stellar improvement over The Witcher 2, adapting to the type of monster you're encountering is probably the most exciting part for me. Bringing down a wyvern with a crossbow just feels wonderful, binding a wraith to the physical plain to do maximum damage really immerses you in the game. Preparing for a tough monster during a contract quest feels great, going in knowing you're prepared for the situation is as rewarding as collecting the sweet sweet loot after.

It has been a long long time since a game convinced me it is occurring in its own world, but the Witcher 3 does it. The last time I felt this way was Ultima Online, circa 1997. Like I said at the beginning of my review, The Witcher 3 is a 10/10.
  73. Dec 11, 2015
    The Witcher 3, this game is a testament to how far games have come.

I actually feel sorry for any game that tries to do open world RPG after this. It's painfully obvious that CDPR has blown everyone out of the water. Here's why: The game is open world, and has better graphics than most linear games, even DESPITE the graphics downgrade (which DID happen). The game looks and feels like
    The Witcher 3, this game is a testament to how far games have come.

The game is open world, and has better graphics than most linear games, even DESPITE the graphics downgrade (which DID happen). The game looks and feels like a handcrafted world, the entire game world is beyond beautiful, like nothing I have ever seen before. I thought the witcher 2 was amazing, the witcher 2 was definitely great looking, but it did not have the scope that TW3 has. TW3 has a world that feels completely real and alive. That feeling of "copy pasted" areas is just not there.

The npcs. People will call out to you when you ride/walk by if they want your help, the faces in the witcher are many and varied. Even after doing nearly every quest I came across I never felt like I was talking to the same person with a different outfit. Everyone in the game already has their own thing to do, and their own agenda. Nobody is really just standing around waiting for YOU.

The story. This isn't something you want to play while barely paying attention. The time investment needed to finish this game is massive. I started my playthrough on the hardest difficulty, and it took me about 150 hours to beat the game, while skipping many contracts and a vast majority of markers on the maps. Whenever I sat down to play the game, I wanted to make sure I had no other distractions. This game takes work to beat, and it's largely due to the fact that I didn't want to miss a thing while I was playing, finding the time to commit to this game was not easy, but well worth it.

The game is not perfect. It suffers from the typical open world game issues (clipping, weird camera angles sometimes, a slightly misplaced object or two), for example I found a tree floating a few feet above the ground in the first area, however that was the ONLY example I found of that. Even with these little issues, as far as open world games go, nothing has the fidelity that I have witnessed in the Witcher 3.

The controls are a bit clunky, I felt as though the Witcher 2 was more responsive, but the Witcher 3's clunkyness appears to be the result of an attempt to make realistic movement/combat animations that flow together, not the result of bad controls. I have to say, once you get used to the pace of combat and the style of movement, I found myself enjoying the realistic style of responsiveness.

This is a story driven game, if you cannot get into the story you will probably not enjoy the game that much.

I feel like I have barely even touched the surface as to why this game is so good. I feel like I can't appropriately describe it.

I will say this though, that this is what gaming needs, a game that pushes the boundaries of what we've seen before. I can say with certainty that I have never seen a world so vast and believable, so alive and vibrant. I've never had a game make me feel so small and insignificant. Playing the witcher 3 was like having a second life for 5 months. There was so much going on in the world of the witcher 3, and I didn't even manage to see all of it.

As of right now, december of 2015, this game has no equal within the genre of open world RPG's. That is what I think.
  74. May 26, 2015
    Amazing game! CDP RED do great job. The graphics is awesome! Recommend anyone who expects perfection. I don't understand how somebody can critic this great game
  75. Oct 18, 2015
    This is simply the best RPG made to date. Over 3000 positive reviews, I can't think of anything that hasn't already been said hundreds of times. As a fan of the original cyberpunk RPG, I just can't wait to see what CD Projekt red do with it.
  76. Jun 9, 2015
    I've played every single game on Metacritic's top RPG list, except for Planescape: Torment and Lord of the Rings Online. The Witcher 3 ranks amongst the top. It's the new generation's Baldur's Gate 2. Yes, it's that good. It's that immersive. I've found myself thinking about the world *after* I had stopped playing. If you've ever enjoyed the RPG franchise, or if you enjoy Game of Thrones,I've played every single game on Metacritic's top RPG list, except for Planescape: Torment and Lord of the Rings Online. The Witcher 3 ranks amongst the top. It's the new generation's Baldur's Gate 2. Yes, it's that good. It's that immersive. I've found myself thinking about the world *after* I had stopped playing. If you've ever enjoyed the RPG franchise, or if you enjoy Game of Thrones, or if you just enjoy fantasy in general, you must play The Witcher 3 to not miss out. It would be a tragedy to let this game slip past. Don't let The Witcher 2 scare you away, the game is much different. Expand
  77. Jun 29, 2015
    Quite simply, the best, most complete RPG I have ever played, and I started way back when with Baldur's Gate and such. The sheer amount of content, the attention to detail, fleshed out, surprising quests, interesting characters, this unique Slavic feel of the design... I simply can't get enough, luckily every other week we get a couple of new DLCs, completely free to boot!

Thanks, CD Project.
  78. Oct 7, 2015
    Absolutely epic game with gripping game play, great scenario, brilliant soundtrack, eye-catching scenes and stunning graphics. There are a few bugs, but none of them affects the game play enough to change the score. The combination of open world with a leading story came out surprisingly well. Each and every RPG fan has to play that game.
  79. Nov 7, 2015
    1. Story - While some parts of the story are really worth grinding through the end, other parts will ruthlessly attempt to murder your will to play with their indescribable inanity, as most of the main story seems like an endless "bait and switch" type of deal.
    2. Battle system - Simplified, which is a plus for me, even though the battles themselves are nothing to write home about.
    3. Quests - Absolutely NOTHING you haven't already seen. Fetch quests, hunt quests, Races, treasure hunts, they might sound different but they're not. You go somewhere, get a quest, go somewhere else, use witcher senses, kill something, get treasure, repeat. The battles are extremely boring, and i was playing on Death March difficulty. I would compare the quest variety to that of "Arkham City".
    4. Music and Graphics- These are two of the very few aspects that are so well done, they actually make the rest of the game bearable.
    5. Content - The forging system from Witcher 2 is here as well, meaning You'd have to scour the map for an armorer that is able to craft a decent pair of swords and armor. Though, you'll find, later in the game, that most of the diagrams you've amassed are inherently worthless unless they are of Witcher quality. Basically they get you chasing for an actually USEFUL diagram, only to find out you can't use the item until level 150. Which is fine and well in a free-to-play MMORPG, that uses the gimmick to get you hooked and playing, but this is a single player game. To resort to such methods in a game of this caliber is just stupidly unnecessary. I've never ridden a horse in real life, but even i can tell that the horse's animation and movement is terribly stiff. Lucky you can change Geralt's movement. The monsters are rehashes of their old designs, with an updated texture and animations. There are some new Monsters that spice things up, some mini bosses that are basically bigger versions of regular monsters meaning the battle won't be that much different. The maps are large and filled with trees and wolves. Fast travel helps, but not a lot. There is a fair amount of hidden treasure spots scattered across the map, which can help decrease the boredom, though, again, not by a lot. The Gwent mini game can be heaps of fun, but it's like a fetch-quest-driven-Hearthstone, meaning your game depends a lot on the cards you have found thus far.

In summation, it seems to me that Witcher games are an acquired taste. They're not for everyone, but some might just get lost in the game and enjoy themselves thoroughly. Me on the other hand, I have played/liked this game for days. Didn't love it, mind you, but i thought it was well made and occasionally fun. But after completing almost 90% of the Novigrad map and the quests found in it, i got really tired with the slow pace of the main storyline, the predictable quests, the uninspiring game play, to the point where i lost the urge to keep on playing. Now, even a 10 minute run feels like a colossal waste of time. So, good game, but not for me.
  80. Jul 16, 2015
    Masterfully crafted RPG and work of art. Brimming with life, splendor and beauty. CD Projekt makes it feel like you're there and are apart of the world. They've raised and set a very high bar.
  81. May 20, 2015
    Simply put, this is an OUTSTANDING title and an instant classic. It deserves to be rated as one of the best PC games of all time. It has the play-ability of Red Dead Redemption; the complex story-lines of Mass Effect and Dragon Age. A beautifully realized art style and most of all, takes centre stage in using all the modern gfx tech you could wish for. The only criticism I have is that theSimply put, this is an OUTSTANDING title and an instant classic. It deserves to be rated as one of the best PC games of all time. It has the play-ability of Red Dead Redemption; the complex story-lines of Mass Effect and Dragon Age. A beautifully realized art style and most of all, takes centre stage in using all the modern gfx tech you could wish for. The only criticism I have is that the game didn't take advantage of AMD's TressFx2.0 and Mantle API support as well as Nv Hairworks; but this is so minor because a top end AMD GFX card is still capable of producing the goods even on Nvidia Optimized code. One NOT to miss. I look forward to a DirectX 12 version of the game in the coming months for even more awesomeness! Expand
  82. Jan 17, 2016
    For me Witcher 3 is a Gothic 1 for this generation. I don't know how many people was paid to make negative opinions here. But hey sorry guys your companies cannot create nowdays even one good rpg. Mass effect ? Dragon age inquisition ? Don't make me laugh. Fallout 4 , Skyriim with deep characters from R.E.Howard books.
    Get your balls together and make someting good or be forgotten like
    Get your balls together and make someting good or be forgotten like many companies.
  83. Dec 6, 2015
    Excellent, excellent, excellent! To live the life of a Witcher; one Geralt of Rivia at that...all with such a spectacular story, amazing production, and intricate attention to detail. One could play this a dozen times and have different outcomes with the variety of decisions involved. Very well done.
  84. Dec 13, 2015
    The Witcher 3 is the new yardstick against which all games will be measured for quality. So far ahead of the pack its plain astounding. Graphics are amazing, story amazing, content level...amazing.
    If you can only afford time for one game a year, make it this one.
  85. Jun 28, 2015
    This is the new gold standard against which all other RPGs will be measured. The writing and believable interactions take the whole RPG genre into new territory.
  86. May 23, 2015
    This game is exactly what was promised which is extremely rare these past few years. This company has become amongst my most loved, trusted and respected of all developers. Thank you to all the hard workers people who made this diamond.
  87. Jun 23, 2016
    Absolute masterpiece. Every step of the way the story keeps you intrigued on Geralt and Ciri's story. The landscape is massive, graphics are stunning and the loot you find along the way are ever enticing. The combat is intuitive and cut scenes and dialogs are top-notched.

It's sad to see the end of a wonderful trilogy, but here's to hoping CD Projekt Red comes out with something more amazing down the road!
  88. May 20, 2015
    Really boring single player MMO. It is a not very well done mix between Dragon Age: Inquistion(graphics) and SWTOR(story). Also - the foliage is horrible, the wind is always blowing, the trees and the grass look flat. All the villages look exactly the same, the quests are fetch quests with Witcher Senses(Batman Detective mode) which doesn't make them any more interesting. Completed theReally boring single player MMO. It is a not very well done mix between Dragon Age: Inquistion(graphics) and SWTOR(story). Also - the foliage is horrible, the wind is always blowing, the trees and the grass look flat. All the villages look exactly the same, the quests are fetch quests with Witcher Senses(Batman Detective mode) which doesn't make them any more interesting. Completed the Prologue, reached the first part where you play with Ciri, can't take it anymore. Expand
  89. Jul 8, 2015
    I think this title may very well stand as the best RPG I have played. I strongly recommend casuals and hardcore alike to buy it and enjoy it thoroughly.

Little Tip: Reading the books (or some of them) first multiply the already massive quality of the title. Lots of references to them.

TLDR: Buy. Now.
  90. Jun 8, 2015
    You can move almost anywhere in this giant world and you will find some treasure or special beasts. The World is full of Life. The very best surprise was that the big Cities are full of quests and interesting places. Even tough im a great skyrim fan i must say that the contents of this Game is designed much more better. The diversity of decisions to meet makes you want to play this gameYou can move almost anywhere in this giant world and you will find some treasure or special beasts. The World is full of Life. The very best surprise was that the big Cities are full of quests and interesting places. Even tough im a great skyrim fan i must say that the contents of this Game is designed much more better. The diversity of decisions to meet makes you want to play this game again once u finish it. and this also takes lots of time. Expand
  91. Jul 21, 2016
    Great graphics, and story. Extensive cutscenes and voice acting within the main story line. Fun and Immersive fighting. Mechanics and graphics felt like an actual PC game and not a console port. Loved it.
  92. oso
    Feb 28, 2016
    Witcher 3 is an absolute paramount within the RPG genre. Although it has some minor flaws the overall impression excells even its outstanding predecessor.
  93. May 19, 2015
    Game is better than I thought it would be after all the hype the last few weeks. Graphics are what I would expect from a game in 2015, I don't have the settings on Ultra I assume they would be over the top good but not sure my rig can handle it. I was engrossed within the story in a few minutes of starting the game which adds to the overall sense of the atmosphere. Superb voice actingGame is better than I thought it would be after all the hype the last few weeks. Graphics are what I would expect from a game in 2015, I don't have the settings on Ultra I assume they would be over the top good but not sure my rig can handle it. I was engrossed within the story in a few minutes of starting the game which adds to the overall sense of the atmosphere. Superb voice acting which is something I always appreciate. The combat system is what is always is in the Witcher, some love it some could do without it. Have found a few minor bugs, one quest would not finish because of how I entered the area I found a clue out of sequence, but reloaded and finished no problem. Have not had that problem on other quest. Overall very happy with the game! Expand
  94. Nov 15, 2015
    Fantastic game.
    - amazing combat system
    - varied and interesting side quests - Witcher Contracts were fantastic - Nostalgia impact, from all the old characters it brought back, though they missed Shani :( - huge, believable open world two minor flaws - The potion system from Witcher II was better, this one felt like a concession to traditional RPG players - Not enough Triss
    Fantastic game.
    - amazing combat system
    - varied and interesting side quests
    - Witcher Contracts were fantastic
    - huge, believable open world

two minor flaws
    - Not enough Triss content (Triss was so vital in Witcher II, she felt tacked on in the current game)
  95. May 19, 2015
    Exciting and beautiful RPG, great story, wonderful open-world. Best RPG game i've ever played, better than Skyrim. I'm playing I5 4690K @4GHz, GTX970 4GB, and all for ultra, fullHD, 60FPS.
    I am amazed at people who can issue will evaluate lower than 8 - unless they are immature people.
    It's a GTA 5 in RPG's :)
  96. May 27, 2015
    Best game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  97. May 21, 2015
    This game is the bets game I've played like in the last 10 years, there's something about this game that feels as if you were there and achieving that is remarkable. Combat is awesome, is challenging but it's not frustrating, and the story is simply amazing, you actually care for the Geralt's fate as if it was your.
  98. Jun 8, 2015
    I cannot recommend this game highly enough, I could write a short essay on how and why nearly every aspect of its game design and artistic qualities are done to the highest standard. Or I could rant about how in all the years I've been playing video games, this has knocked even my most beloved of personal favorites off their high pedestals.

I'll not bother with doing so, as the scores

I'll not bother with doing so, as the scores speak for themselves. This is a true 10/10, and a shining example of the potential video games wield as an art form and as a medium for great storytelling.

Many have said that the Witcher 3 is GOTY potential, but I actually feel this is somewhat low praise. I for one highly doubt I shall experience a video game as accomplished and groundbreaking as this in 2016, 17 or the years thereafter.

Cdprojekt haven't simply raised the bar for gaming and open world rpgs, they have smashed through the ceiling.
  99. May 23, 2015
    Holly Molly I am 20+ hours in and I haven't progressed far in main story. The execution of this game and optimization is amazing.

The exprerience on GTX 970 is jaw dropping. Well Done CDP Red,

Best RPG of a Decade.
    Dammmitttttt now I won't have life for at least one month
  100. Xon
    Nov 14, 2015
    Simply staggeringly, overwhelmingly, superlatively awesome.
    The story is compelling and the pacing great.
    Characters ring true and solicit real-felt sympathy or revolt.
    Increadibly well optimised for pc, high-end or low-end.

And it is HUGE. Increadible value for money.

1. Jan 28, 2016
    The Witcher 3 says no to all of this - it's a great game with a fully realized setting, it's a joy to play, the business model behind it treats its customers like human beings, and it delivers a story that finally hits the tone of the books.
  2. Jan 20, 2016
    Probably the best open-world RPG ever made, but it still falls prey to some of the genre's worst traps.
  3. Nov 4, 2015
    I've made it pretty clear that it's hardly a flawless game, but that doesn't change the fact that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is something pretty bloody special and you should absolutely play it.