The Witcher: Enhanced Edition PC

8.5

1. Jul 7, 2014
    Finally got into The Witcher series, in preparation for the upcoming TW3, decided to start at the beginning, didn't expect all that much, but after about 50 hours of pure RPG bliss it took me to finish this, all I can say is WOW! and rank The Witcher among the very best RPG genre has to offer.

Classic RPG feeling, really good story, important decisions, interesting characters, nicely improved point&click combat system, for the time surprisingly beautiful visuals, humour, fun mini games, extensive alchemy, but what stole my heart the most were 2 things - setting and music. Impressively portrayed environments, not the typical dragons and crazy colored high fantasy, but rather more realistic medieval and darker European setting, I just loved exploring these locations, villages, cities, farming summer fields, forests and swamps. And on top of that, what truly glorifies this title is absolutely stunning soundtrack that fits every location perfectly and creates unforgettable moods, captivating you in its atmospheric embrace.

All the problems I heard about The Witcher such as the long loading times, bugs and crashes seemed to be all fixed in this enhanced edition as I never came across any problems and could enjoy this delightful RPG experience 100%.

Extremely pleasant surprise and one of the best titles in the genre. Now I'm just worried whether the next TW chapters will be even able to live up to this gem. 10/10
  2. Jun 5, 2016
    The Witcher: Enhanced Edition retains and significantly improves what made the original game feel so special, yet ultimately leaves a number of flaws untouched.
  3. Mar 20, 2015
    The democratisation of dark-fantasy in video-games, just like Game Of Throne did with TV shows. Great graphics at the time, complex, well written and engaging story with choices that have true consequences in a true living world. The first entry in the series is remarkable: 40 hours of gameplay, good alchemy system, amazing story and universe but not flawless: the combat system is tooThe democratisation of dark-fantasy in video-games, just like Game Of Throne did with TV shows. Great graphics at the time, complex, well written and engaging story with choices that have true consequences in a true living world. The first entry in the series is remarkable: 40 hours of gameplay, good alchemy system, amazing story and universe but not flawless: the combat system is too simple and shops are useless and it would have been better if it was a true open-world instead of zone per act.
    I really did enjoy my time, but I know that the second and probably the third entry are even better and close to perfect, those one will deserve a 10, for The Witcher 1 I think 9 is more fair.
  4. May 9, 2013
    great story with a lot of "OH MY GOD" moments it would have been perfect with a good combat system it's a good experience and finally a very decent game to play
  5. Jun 19, 2013
    Great and intriguing story and world, an even more intriguing main character, excellent voice acting, and the graphics were pretty impressive to boot.

One of my biggest gripes is the tedious way of traveling around. Since it's not open world (I'm spoiled by open world/sandbox RPG games now), there are no shortcuts and you really do have to go on one specific route to get to where you need to go. That got annoying to the point where I couldn't play through it for too long because of all the boring, reptitive, and unnecessary back and forth I had to do.

Some fun monsters to fight. Really well done environments add to the immersion. Talents system was simple and fighting mechanics take a little getting used to but are easy enough. Gameplay is okay, but for me this was a story and character-driven game more than the actual action itself, which was a lot of fun at times but nothing too special at other times.
  6. Sep 9, 2016
    Great underrated RPG, for its time. I fallen in love by the time i tried the demo version. The graphics were really good for the standards of the era, dialogue was mature and believable, story and setting seemed really great (it was Witcher after all), and it was an RPG game during a period when they had began getting out of fashion.

It has many flaws, and especially today, this game is

It has many flaws, and especially today, this game is difficult to recommend. The graphics while still good, are nowhere near modern standards, and the gameplay may seem slow, boring and tedious. Still, it is worth a playthrough, especially if you want to play the Witcher 3. In my opinion, this is a better game and RPG than Witcher 2, considering the 4 year difference.
  7. May 17, 2011
    Ok so it had a couple of issues. I never expected I would like a largely third person game this much. I loved oblivion and like to immerse myself in the world and scenery from time to time playing from behind the characters eyes etc but much to my surprise I also greatly enjoyed the witcher. Its not as non linear as I would like but its not totally linear either. The characters andOk so it had a couple of issues. I never expected I would like a largely third person game this much. I loved oblivion and like to immerse myself in the world and scenery from time to time playing from behind the characters eyes etc but much to my surprise I also greatly enjoyed the witcher. Its not as non linear as I would like but its not totally linear either. The characters and story combined with the world created for them make this an extremely enjoyable game. Well worth buying. I just pre ordered the witcher 2 and cant wait Expand
  8. Feb 29, 2012
    This game comes very close to the perfect game. It's actually mature, it's realistic in decisions and never resorts to black and white "good" "evil" choices. The only small issue is that some quests are of a far lower standard than other quests - whereas in the witcher 2 - all the quests are of a high standard. However this game is almost twice the length. So it evens out in the end. TheThis game comes very close to the perfect game. It's actually mature, it's realistic in decisions and never resorts to black and white "good" "evil" choices. The only small issue is that some quests are of a far lower standard than other quests - whereas in the witcher 2 - all the quests are of a high standard. However this game is almost twice the length. So it evens out in the end. The combat is a little more methodical than the witcher 2, it's different. Although I probably prefer the witcher 2's combat. Expand
  9. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: The games graphics do look great, with nice lighting and good character design. It’s Still not the best, especially for a 2007 game. Some of the environment looks unrealistic like the plants for example have no sense of life to them, overall though it still looks good. 8.
    Sound: Amazing calming themes, and great voice acting. 10.
    Gameplay: The gameplay is unique because
    Sound: Amazing calming themes, and great voice acting. 10.
    Gameplay: The gameplay is unique because it’s different from any game that I have played before. For starters the combat system is what makes this game unique. You have three different stances and different weapons which each are for particular type of enemies. Say your fighting a short dwarf, a stance changed to the hip would allow you to kill that particular enemy quicker, and if there’s a taller or bigger enemy that is attacking then a stance change where the witcher holds the sword above his head would be required. Now it’s not free combat where you just freely swing your weapon around. Instead you click on an enemy and the witcher begins to attack, then the arrow lights up and you must time your clicks with the mouse to keep the flow of combat going. Though this is something new, at times it feels overused and begins to get boring. Althought its always satisfying to switch to the lowest stance and hit enemies that surround you. The game is also a open world game similar to the elder scrolls games, but instead broken into chapter with each new chapter taking you to a newer area, or expanding on a previous one. The game is also similar to mass effect with conversation, and even allows you to make several choices which make an impact on the story. You can also develop relationships with characters such as romance, and earn sex cards for doing so. The leveling system is simple and there are plenty of skills to go through, although some may find it complex at first. The game allows for professions such as alchemy. 9.
    Story: I got lost trying to keep up with the story, because in the beginning its boring, but as you progress through the game, and near the end, it is satisfying. The game ends with a cliff hanger. 9.
    Lasting Appeal: Took me about 18 hours to complete the game, it’s definitely worth the 5 or 10 bucks I bought it from a steam sale (can’t remember exact price). 10.
    Overall Score: 9.2 out of 10.
  10. Jun 17, 2015
    A solid and enjoyable game overall. What differentiates The Witcher from other RPGs is its superior character development and moral ambiguity. Choice and consequence is definitely a major component of the story, and it's interesting to see how it all manifests in the later chapters.

Unfortunately, the game is slow to start, and the story doesn't really move forward until reaching Chapter 2 and 3. The combat system is similar in that it feels clunky initially, but you learn to tolerate and even enjoy it upon learning more signs and becoming more familiar with it, though fighting drowners and other trash slowly becomes more arduous and repetitive as you progress. Other criticisms include the sheer amount of backtracking there is, particularly in chapters 1, 2 and 4. Also, the weird quest progression in chapter 2.

Overall rating: 7.7/10
  11. May 4, 2016
    Some people mention The Witcher on the same level as some classics like Baldurs Gate 2, Morrowind, Knight of the old Republic 2 etc. In my view this game could be it, but the gameplay is not good enough. But step by step:
    The world is on world class level: The NPCs got a lot of life, there are many details to discover, the political background is detailed and complex. In addition you have very good music. The dialogs are on top level: adult, happy, direct. One of the best, I could read since a long time. The story is well written and well presented. Not a big epos, but on a very good level. If you didnt have enough of this game, you can download a lot of mods. I played with a texture mod, that enhanced the graphic from 2011.

The problem: the gameplay and that means, the core of every game: In the beginning I was excited about it, but it changed fastly. The fighting with the sword is mostly a reaction game, greetings from arcade games. In addition the controling is very bad, sometimes Gerald simply didnt do the commands, because the game played the animations to the end. There are some other gameplay elements, that are annoying. Yes, the inventar is still too small.

Result: Surely a very good game, but not top
  12. Feb 18, 2014
    I played the Witcher Enhanced Edition. There were flaws. It did crash on me a time or two. The combat mechanic took a little getting used to.
    But mostly I got caught up in the plot. Its been compared to a lot of games. Some of its generation, some coming after. But I don't know how anyone can compare it. Its as dark and mature as a game can come. But its not an open world. Its a kind of sandbox game, though the box is big enough you hardly notice it. Its a game driven by people and motivations. Really this game is like an engrossing novel. Without spoiling anything. This game is sporting the best twist in a game or show I've ever seen.
    Its a game that doesn't condescend. It is made for adults. (Unlike so many RPGs these days). The characters are characters. No one feel one dimensional. And the characters drive the plot.

I liked how when given dialogue options the character took your suggestion and said something along those lines but different. It added an element of unpredictability to dialogue.
    The whole thing with toxicity. Potions have a toxicity value. If you drink your way over 100 you die. As you get close to that point you see red flecks floating across the screen. The whole world changes when you drink Cat. All these things added a flavor to the game. Its like the first 2 Max Payne games. It has a style all its own. Its a game you play because your following the story and want to see what happens next.

And CD Projekt RED may just be the last bastion of sanity in the DRM craze that is sweeping games these days.
  13. Jun 26, 2013
    Witcher doesn't do everything right but where it's good, it's great!

Finally we get a story where choices matter and the player isn't treated like an idiot. Compared to the average game these days, the interface is a little daunting at first. Soon enough it's easy to work with. The combat mechanics are this game's weak point. Occasionally you need to think strategically in
    Witcher doesn't do everything right but where it's good, it's great!

The combat mechanics are this game's weak point. Occasionally you need to think strategically in combat but on normal difficulty it becomes fairly easy if you've invested time in side quests to boost your skills. Players who want to be forced to master the intricacies of the combat system should definitely play this one on Hard.

Another issue is stability. The game tends to crash, particularly in certain graphically intense areas of Chapter 2. Save and save often. Normally, this would be a deal-breaker for me, but the games other positives allow me to me to give it a pass.
  14. Jan 13, 2012
    First of all, I need say that I finished the game around December 2011. Although this is an old game, this is a very well-crafted game. Not to say it's the best, but very well crafted. Some complain that the combat is repetitive, but I think the combat of games are always repetitive. ( You don't fight A boss with turn-based, and fight B boss with Real Time Strategy in games, right?) ThisFirst of all, I need say that I finished the game around December 2011. Although this is an old game, this is a very well-crafted game. Not to say it's the best, but very well crafted. Some complain that the combat is repetitive, but I think the combat of games are always repetitive. ( You don't fight A boss with turn-based, and fight B boss with Real Time Strategy in games, right?) This game also has a nice story with multi endings. Graphic is still acceptable for a game this old. Took me around 45 Hours to complete. If you find this game with discount, it worth a try. P.S. I bought this from steam. Only cost me $4.99. Expand
  15. Feb 24, 2014
    The main selling point of The Witcher is its great story. This game is for adults and it's made in a way that makes the story very believable. People swear, steal, **** and murder. The plot in this game is a lot darker than in most other games and it really adds to the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, the fighting mechanics and menus/inventory are a mess and it hurts the gameplay quite a bit. Managing the inventory takes too long and the fights don't really feel fluid. Switching between stances quickly becomes tedious. The game also crashed a few times.

It's still a great RPG, especially if you are looking for a good story. Recommended.
  16. Dec 3, 2013
    The Witcher. I already knew Witcher books before the game came out, so when I saw it on a store shelf I grabbed it without hesitation. This was the right choice. I completed the game 2 times, with different choices. The story is very mature and interesting. This is not a fairy-tale-like RPGish nonsense, it's based on Witcher books which are one of the best European dark fantasy series.The Witcher. I already knew Witcher books before the game came out, so when I saw it on a store shelf I grabbed it without hesitation. This was the right choice. I completed the game 2 times, with different choices. The story is very mature and interesting. This is not a fairy-tale-like RPGish nonsense, it's based on Witcher books which are one of the best European dark fantasy series. Geralt is my favorite character ever in a video game, closely followed by Ezio Auditore. Other characters very also very memorable.
    The game offers you a decent size world to explore, but filled with quests, interesting characters and mini-games like epic brawls in pubs. It never feels empty. The monsters are unique to the series, you won't meet any stereotype zombies and vampires. The combat system lacks somewhat, as it's very easy even on hard difficulty. It's backed up by excellent alchemy system, each potion really matters and have unique and powerful effects. Creating them is surprisingly satisfying, and since you can have only a few active due to them being toxic you need to choose carefully. There are also firecrackers and oils, so the crafting system is pretty robust. Your character gains talents that are basically skill points, skill trees are HUGE but not overwhelming and each skill does something different and interesting.
    As a bonus the game comes with a level editor so you can play player-created maps and quests after finishing the main story line.
    So does the Witcher have any flaws?
    Well the voice acting of main characters is superb, but minor characters very often have same voices, which is somewhat annoying. Also like I mentioned above combat is very easy once you grasp the basics.
    The world could have been bigger, it often feels like you don't have much space to breathe although it's never empty !

Worse than the second part in the series, but still a great game on it's own it earns a 9/10
  17. Nov 9, 2011
    The Witcher EE together with Dragon Age Origins are my favorite modern computer RPGs in this gaming generation. The story in the Witcher has a very deep scope as it follows the journey of the witcher Geralt of Rivia to reveal the imbroglio in a nation and all the dark secrets. The game features a lot of moral choices which will yield different consequences in the later game and you have toThe Witcher EE together with Dragon Age Origins are my favorite modern computer RPGs in this gaming generation. The story in the Witcher has a very deep scope as it follows the journey of the witcher Geralt of Rivia to reveal the imbroglio in a nation and all the dark secrets. The game features a lot of moral choices which will yield different consequences in the later game and you have to do a lot of dialog choices to uncover various quests. Combat is entertaining and somehow tactical, you will need to choose right fight styles against different types of enemies as well as use effective portions. Inventory is the only disadvantage because the space is really limited, so strategy is needed. Overall it's a great rpg with a deep storyline driving it. The game still has problems, long loading time and instant crashes do occur but not often enough to ruin the immersion. If you enjoy games like dragon age origins, I am sure you will love this game. Expand
  18. Oct 4, 2012
    A decent fantasy action role-playing game, the combat system requires tactical think due too three fighting styles and choosing between the steel and silver swords coupled with Alchemy the combat itself is a is a timed mouse clicking affair which can be somewhat off putting to some but once master is a fun and rewarding experience and you soon be hunting Trophy monsters. The Witcher has anA decent fantasy action role-playing game, the combat system requires tactical think due too three fighting styles and choosing between the steel and silver swords coupled with Alchemy the combat itself is a is a timed mouse clicking affair which can be somewhat off putting to some but once master is a fun and rewarding experience and you soon be hunting Trophy monsters. The Witcher has an adult themed story loaded with grit and lore supported with a great soundtrack, which is furthered by the consequences of the player's choices which unfold has the story progress's. The Witcher Enhanced Edition includes a "making of" DVD, a CD with 29 in-game soundtracks, another CD with "Inspired by" music, the short story The Witcher from the book The Last Wish, a map of Temeria printed on high quality paper, and the official strategy guide. In addition, a new and enhanced version of the D'jinni Adventure Editor this is a must for those who have played the Witcher 2 and certainly worth the checking for ARPG fans with the added bonus of the DRM removed by download the patch from the site. Expand
  19. Jun 16, 2016
    This game blew my mind. This game is in my opinion what the perfect rpg looks like. The story is amazing, the characters are interesting, and this game has ACTUAL different routes that you can take, which result in different endings and world states. Sure, the combat is somewhat clunky, and there are some other minor flaws but those are nothing compared to the pros. 10/10 one of the bestThis game blew my mind. This game is in my opinion what the perfect rpg looks like. The story is amazing, the characters are interesting, and this game has ACTUAL different routes that you can take, which result in different endings and world states. Sure, the combat is somewhat clunky, and there are some other minor flaws but those are nothing compared to the pros. 10/10 one of the best rpg experiences I've ever had! Expand
  20. Nov 11, 2014
    Decided to pick this up on a whim, and I'm glad I did as it led me to one of my favorite RPGs of all time (The Witcher 2).

This game is great for two reasons. First, it has some great ideas. Unfortunately, many of these great ideas aren't fleshed out as much as they could be; the developer being a small Polish company restricted how far they could take the game. Nonetheless, it still takes RPGs down roads they've never been before.

Second, it's not afraid to be dark and realistic in its themes. As an adult, I want tough, no-win choices, I want realistic violence, I want shades of grey in the story, I want dark humor, I want sex/nudity, and I want deep, interesting characters. The Witcher has all of that.

The Witcher is a worthy entry into the series and a good precursor to the amazing game that is The Witcher 2.
  21. Jun 14, 2013
    This is a game for real rpg fan. If You like Slavic climate You will found here the best world You ever dreamt of. Fighting system is like a poetry. Plot is marvelous like original A. Sapkowski books. Main character is a true hero with past and something to say in present. Sense of humor, music and surroundings will make You love this game. Also game is quite long but it doesn't getThis is a game for real rpg fan. If You like Slavic climate You will found here the best world You ever dreamt of. Fighting system is like a poetry. Plot is marvelous like original A. Sapkowski books. Main character is a true hero with past and something to say in present. Sense of humor, music and surroundings will make You love this game. Also game is quite long but it doesn't get boring. If You didn't play, You just have to. Expand
  22. Jul 22, 2012
    Sehr Gutes Rollenspiel !!!
  23. Apr 27, 2011
    Good game. The writing is well balanced, and the graphics are outstanding. Carries a few loose bugs, however, and I even encountered a game-breaking one that forced me to restart the game. The voice acting is also a little bit sloppy. Despite all this, what really makes the Witcher stands out is its incredible atmosphere and engaging characters, and its enough to make me want to pushGood game. The writing is well balanced, and the graphics are outstanding. Carries a few loose bugs, however, and I even encountered a game-breaking one that forced me to restart the game. The voice acting is also a little bit sloppy. Despite all this, what really makes the Witcher stands out is its incredible atmosphere and engaging characters, and its enough to make me want to push through again even after having to restart. A great game all-and-all. Expand
  24. Dec 27, 2010
    I found the witcher enhanced edition to be a pleasant surprise, but one that is very much an acquired taste. By this I mean that you have to consider the cultural difference of the game. Just as Stalker is very Russian, and Mount & Blade is very Turkish, this game is very Polish. The interface is like nothing else I have seen anywhere, the gameplay is quite unique, the story is of its ownI found the witcher enhanced edition to be a pleasant surprise, but one that is very much an acquired taste. By this I mean that you have to consider the cultural difference of the game. Just as Stalker is very Russian, and Mount & Blade is very Turkish, this game is very Polish. The interface is like nothing else I have seen anywhere, the gameplay is quite unique, the story is of its own style, and everything else is also far from what we are use to. So if you aren't in for something new and different, you will likely be too disoriented, befuddled and confused to enjoy yourself. Either way, you get use to how things work in this game, and they work very well. The more you play this game, the more you enjoy yourself. Recommended and 8/10. Expand
  25. Mar 19, 2013
    Very good game, interesting story and characters, graphically beautiful even running on my old laptop, its not open world like Skyrim but gives you nonetheless a lot of freedom.
  26. Nov 14, 2011
    Oh boy was I surprised when I bought this game this year and found a pearl! This game instantly became one of my fav games of all the times! Everything about this game screams fantastic! Loved the story,game mechanics and graphics are not that bad for old game like this one. If u are the fan of the RPG's and like me missed this stunning game please do me a favor go and buy it now!!!!!!!!!
  27. Dec 21, 2016
    I like story centered games and The Witcher is a good example of a story told right. The choices and consequences system is well done, it adds replay value and it influences the ending. Also I like the fact that you can remain neutral throughout the whole flaming rose vs nonhuman conflict.
    The story kind of loses focus in chapter IV which i think is the weakest of all because it forces you to do some random quests that don't relate to the main storyline that much.
    On a bad side, I encountered several crashes on windows 10. The game uses the aurora engine which is known for its bugs and map limitations. It sucks that there are very few face models for NPCs, and that I cant customize Geralt at all (there are a total of three armors in the whole game).
    The combat is not that great but you get used to it and after a few hours of playtime it doesn't represent a problem anymore.
    In the end this is a very good lengthy RPG (it took me 44 hours with a few side quests done) with a mature tone and interesting storyline.
  28. May 15, 2015
    PROS:
    - Geralt's character development (with quite original method of talents)
    - potion making (includes picking of herbs, harvesting jaws of vampires etc.) - moral choices reflecting in changing attitudes of other characters - multitude of quests - some parts are really intense - deep, immersive story - nice music, beautiful landscapes, amazing architecture - seducing women is
    PROS:
    - Geralt's character development (with quite original method of talents)
    - potion making (includes picking of herbs, harvesting jaws of vampires etc.)
    - moral choices reflecting in changing attitudes of other characters
    - multitude of quests
    - some parts are really intense
    - deep, immersive story
    - nice music, beautiful landscapes, amazing architecture
    - seducing women is kind of fun
    - becoming master of dice poker and fist fighting is also kind of fun
    - original monsters

MEH:
    - somewhere midgame you get a lot of bothersome "run here, talk, run there, talk" quests
    - you need to adjust to game's combat system
    - first 30-90 minutes of the game are kind of boring

CONS:
    - you don't get to use many weapons or armors, because other weapons than swords are not usable in witcher battle styles making them ineffective especially later in the game
    - after you start feeling which skills are important and focus on developing them, fighting becomes quite easy

Overall: you need to bite the bullet and endure the first hour of the game. After that you get a really good, immersive RPG with damn good story and lots of locations.
  29. Feb 15, 2016
    Let me start by saying: Please do not buy the game expecting gameplay or graphics too similar to Witcher 2 or 3! This game is quite a bit older than the two others, and has a different style.
    HOWEVER! What this game has going for it is another strong story and a lot of atmosphere. This is what the company got right even in this first game. It is obvious that the team truly loves the source (the books and stories) and the world and story in this game, IMO, is VERY immersive.

The playstyle is quite different, just like the graphics. It reminds me a bit more of Diablo, as it's click-to-move. You have different stances which you switch with keys, according to what you are fighting. Of course, alchemy and signs are in this game as well, as they are just of a trademark of the character as the two swords are.

The game is showing it's age, as the graphics are of course not comparable to the later games, and it's quite interesting to compare the mechanics of the games, and see how the series developed.
    But even though this game has weaknesses and will feel VERY different compared to the later ones (total readjustment especially regarding combat), it still has tons of atmosphere and, as I said, a fascinating story. It's actually quite impressive how much the (back then) small company put into this game.

If you don't mind the fact that the game is a bit older and therefore is very different regarding graphics and playstyle, if you care about the characters (of course, many of the beloved characters from the stories and the other games appear here, for example Triss and Vesemir) and the story, you might find yourself quite immersed, and if you are willing to adjust to the very different movement and combat, you might enjoy it a lot. I sure did!
  30. May 17, 2011
    wow where to start I absolutely loved this game from start to finish,sucked me in and wouldent let me go,awsome graphics memorable story,This is how rpg's for pc should be done.Quiete a long game,I put about 50 hours into it because there are just so many sidequests
  31. Aug 28, 2011
    This is a game made by RPG fans for RPG fans. Unfortunately for the PC gaming layman or those coming from other genres this game will seen complex, slow, and unbalanced. But for those few with RPG game logic, patience, and willpower, that have been gained through years of BG2, Diablo, or NWN (one of course, possibly 2) this game will be a welcome breathe of fresh air that has been absentThis is a game made by RPG fans for RPG fans. Unfortunately for the PC gaming layman or those coming from other genres this game will seen complex, slow, and unbalanced. But for those few with RPG game logic, patience, and willpower, that have been gained through years of BG2, Diablo, or NWN (one of course, possibly 2) this game will be a welcome breathe of fresh air that has been absent from the mainstream gaming for the past couple of years. Those things which non-RPG fans will find so frustrating about this game are exactly what RPG fans have been missing from titles like Oblivion or Dragon Age. Expand
  32. Aug 21, 2011
    This book, err, I mean game is based on a Polish book called Blood of Elves. The story is very immerse, which was expected since it was made from a book to a game, with many characters who you begin to feel emotion for right after meeting them. The combat system of this game is very different from traditional RPG's. You have to click on at the right time to continue your over animatedThis book, err, I mean game is based on a Polish book called Blood of Elves. The story is very immerse, which was expected since it was made from a book to a game, with many characters who you begin to feel emotion for right after meeting them. The combat system of this game is very different from traditional RPG's. You have to click on at the right time to continue your over animated combos and you have three different attack styles, Strong, Fast, and Group which you must use depending on the enemy you're versing. You also have Steel Swords and Silver Swords. Steel Swords are most effective against humans, dogs, and wolves while the Silver Sword is most effective against monsters. The combat system is simple but very fun and engaging! The graphics are very good for the time the game was made but I was expecting to see cinematics with the graphics of the introduction but I believe those graphics are reserved for the first and final cinematic of the game. I wouldn't know, I'm still plying through it now, after months of addiction an family reunions avoided! The game really could have done without the sex scenes and cards. They add a cheesy touch that I hated! I haven't done any of them and don't intend to. Still a great game, missing 10 because of the unneeded sex. Expand
  33. Jan 3, 2015
    This is one of the best story driven RPGs ever made.

Its not without flaws - the second chapter is really confusing and slow paced but all in all not much bad to be said about the game. Its fantasy setting for grownups, dark could world like real medieval Europe not some cookie cut child version of it like in most western fantasy genre settings. It is difficult to dig in at first
    This is one of the best story driven RPGs ever made.

It is difficult to dig in at first because its completely different from standard in terms of leveling so you just have to go through couple of hours to get how things work and by then you should bee hooked.

Combat system is kind of limited but works well enough to get the action going.Its a strange game because at core its an action RPG but a REAL action RPG not an action/arcade game marketed as such.Because of this it could be a turn off to some, having an action RPG with limited combat focusing completely on story.

And the story is great, really top writing with a twist at the end you could not guess because of the structure of narrative.

Some people may not like it because its not stat based-there is really not much options regarding weapons and armor, but I think it works more than well its just different game NOT loot oriented. But when you do eventually through story progression and limited crafting options find new weapons they DO make a difference.

Potion making is the main thing regarding gear improvement.

Visually it looks great for 8 years old game, art direction is 100% and with perfect music scores gives incredible atmospheric feel.

At the end because of combat and some other minor cons i give it a 9, its not perfect but almost.
  34. Jun 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Geralt of Rivia, the smoothest badass ever created.
    My friends recommended me this game. I was struggling a lot in the beginning as well as everyone who played The Witcher. I hated this game and at times came very close to uninstalling it. But I always thought "they said its good, there must be more to it" and kept playing. Indeed, after 3-5 hours into the game I understood. Behind a complicated story, totally ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ talents and combat mechanics there lies one of the best RPG games I've ever played. After you grip the overall gameplay it will stop to irritate you and patterns will start to display. You will be able to enjoy the rich and immersive story, full of intrigues and twists and also those weird combats. The story is the strongest part of the game, it is very mature where decisions are hard with serious consequences and are never good or evil. They just define your political and personal preferences as you progress from an outcast monster killer. The game is also very long. I like to fulfill every quest, check all chests and barrels and enjoy games in general. With such approach, The Witcher took me 65 hours to finish. Every second was definitely worth it. Do yourself a favor, buy the game and play it. Don't get demotivated by prologue and the first act, keep playing and eventually you will get consumed, I guarantee you that. Last time this happened to me was when I played Fallout 2 few years ago, this game quite reminded me of it and I thank its creators for that.
  35. Oct 15, 2011
    Overall, this game is very playable and parts are quite absorbing. The environments are beautiful and some of the quests are highly original. The basic storyline is overrated and a bit mediocre as you are part of an elite group called witchers who are attacked by a gang of Bad Guys(TM) whom you pursue for most of the game. The other parts of the story are much better. Your character facesOverall, this game is very playable and parts are quite absorbing. The environments are beautiful and some of the quests are highly original. The basic storyline is overrated and a bit mediocre as you are part of an elite group called witchers who are attacked by a gang of Bad Guys(TM) whom you pursue for most of the game. The other parts of the story are much better. Your character faces a problem of identity. He has to balance his life as a witcher with dreams of being a family man. He has friends and lovers. He gets caught up in political machinations. All of this stuff has been done before in games, but this one does it thoughtfully and with rarely seen subtlety. TW1 is a game where things are not always as they appear, and some banal details later turn out to be highly significant. The game is also big, with a lot of maps to explore and a full five chapters plus epilogue and prologue. There are downsides too. While the art for the environments is beautiful, too many of the characters look as if the programmers drew them. Also, some of them look like their texture maps are low res or bugged. The combat, while usually painless, leaves very little room for developing individual strategy. The same can be said for promoting your character. You ultimately acquire 75% of the talents in the talent tree, and most people playing the game will have the same build by the end. The game also lacks selection in weapons and armor. The potions can be cool, but you only get the more interesting ones in the last fifth of the game. Another problem is that the quests require too much running back and forth across a huge map, often with the sole purpose of getting a new dialogue option. The other complaint I have is that the story doesn`t always make sense on the ``neutral path``. Overall, however, it`s still a solid game for the mature gamer with an ounce of patience. Expand
  36. Aug 5, 2015
    Have just completed it. One of my favourite games now.
    Have just completed it. One of my favourite games now.
    But seriously the game is marvellous. Graphics are pretty good despite engine CDProjectRed used was bad, soundtrack is glorious (felt satisfaction running around in Chapter IV, best incidental music imho) and the greatest - plot. The plot is absolutely perfect, no matter how many jerks are creating story for all those over9000k-cost games, it won't be as intriguing, as gripping, as great as plot in "The Witcher".
    P.S.: Really 1 of my favourite games now.
  37. May 7, 2011
    The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is the most underrated game ever.
    The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is the most underrated game ever.
    It's perfection. The graphics are amazing: if you compare with Dragon Age they are so much better even though this game is older. The music is a masterpiece and fits perfectly everywhere ... it really makes you feel like the places actually exist and gives the game a very unique and special feeling. The characters are very interesting and you want to know more and more about them all the time (very much as in Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn). The story is also awesome ... I don't want to spoil anything but it really is great.

If you like RPGs then buy this game. It's a masterpiece and one of the best RPGs ever made (Baldur's Gate II and Morrowind are the only RPGs I recon beats this game).
  38. Jul 15, 2011
    I love this game, Great story, you feel like a badass all the way through, and it has a lot of fun RPG elements.
    I personally like getting the "trading cards" if you know what i mean.
  39. Sep 6, 2011
    The game is just how good, solid RPG should look like. First off though, a thing that may disappoint someone- you don't create or choose a character. But personally I don't really see this as a bad thing. It has many good sides that the plot benefits from. The game is based on the universum created by Andrzej Sapkowski in The Witcher saga. I think that creating a game on a solid settingThe game is just how good, solid RPG should look like. First off though, a thing that may disappoint someone- you don't create or choose a character. But personally I don't really see this as a bad thing. It has many good sides that the plot benefits from. The game is based on the universum created by Andrzej Sapkowski in The Witcher saga. I think that creating a game on a solid setting was really an amazing idea. Game's action takes place after the story from the books though. I don't want to talk about the details but just the world that we find ourselves in playing this game, as well as the story, is really a masterpiece. The plot is non linear which makes the game even more enjoyable. The Witcher takes a while to beat it so I assure you that you'll have many hours of fun playing it. Something people may not get to like is how the fighting looks. You mostly just click the mouse button at the right times. But on the other hand it is something original and something that one can get used to, really. Pros: -Not linear. -Amazing story. -Long. Cons: -Fighting style that not everyone may enjoy. Expand
  40. Jun 22, 2014
    I began to play the Witcher Enhanced Edition as a means to an end to play the second one and understand it. I thought it would be pretty dull and clumsy to play - in the words of Thorin Oakenshield, never have I been more wrong. This game has a distinct style, constant badassery, and great gameplay and quests. I was amazed that CD Projekt Red actually pulled off a game dripping with thisI began to play the Witcher Enhanced Edition as a means to an end to play the second one and understand it. I thought it would be pretty dull and clumsy to play - in the words of Thorin Oakenshield, never have I been more wrong. This game has a distinct style, constant badassery, and great gameplay and quests. I was amazed that CD Projekt Red actually pulled off a game dripping with this much content in 2007/8. Intriguing plot, actually interesting and real characters, and great locations (despite their lack of geographical variance). Onwards to the Witcher 2! Expand
  41. Jul 30, 2016
    Recensione temporanea da sostituire non appena disponibile quella definitiva. Recensione temporanea da sostituire non appena disponibile quella definitiva.
  42. Mar 7, 2014
    The Witcher I in my opinion is a testament to the role-playing genre.Set in a dark world filled with backstabbing friends,intriguing enemies and many more with no genuine morality,we are deeply engrossed in this tale of the redemption of the witcher Geralt of Rivia. With Solid role-playing mechanics which although nothing new, are a solid base through which the game shares its story.OneThe Witcher I in my opinion is a testament to the role-playing genre.Set in a dark world filled with backstabbing friends,intriguing enemies and many more with no genuine morality,we are deeply engrossed in this tale of the redemption of the witcher Geralt of Rivia. With Solid role-playing mechanics which although nothing new, are a solid base through which the game shares its story.One gets deeply immersed in this world filled to the brim with adult themes of sex,racism,politics.A Definite must buy for fans of mature fantasies. Expand
  43. May 11, 2011
    a great game, if you enjoyed the books pick this one up. i am looking forward to witcher 2. also be advise people this game is not for everyone. very dark and Gothic feeling. another word if your not going to do the whole game don't waste your money this game has to be played to the end to fully enjoy it
  44. May 3, 2012
    This is a great RPG, hands down one of the best of this era. Not your slash and hack variety, it makes you use strategy and concentrate on what you're doing during battle. The dark, dismal atmosphere seems much more realistic than the puppies and rainbows most fantasy environments try to evoke. Do yourself a favor, this is an inexpensive game that stands up very well on it's own againstThis is a great RPG, hands down one of the best of this era. Not your slash and hack variety, it makes you use strategy and concentrate on what you're doing during battle. The dark, dismal atmosphere seems much more realistic than the puppies and rainbows most fantasy environments try to evoke. Do yourself a favor, this is an inexpensive game that stands up very well on it's own against more modern titles. Expand
  45. Aug 2, 2014
    The Witcher is a very strong, and in many ways, very different game from most RPGs on the market. It's take on fantasy adventuring offers emphasis on themes often overlooked by it's rivals in the genre; such as a focus on alchemy.

Firstly the positives: The game's lore is very well developed, and makes for an interesting setting, (obviously based on the books). The number and diversity

Firstly the positives:
    The game's lore is very well developed, and makes for an interesting setting, (obviously based on the books). The number and diversity of quests is extensive and can make for lots of game time.
    There is a focus on player choices which is always, in my opinion, well received, and the overall feel of the game is one of polish and time investment. There is also a semi-sandbox feel to the game, with NPCs strolling around the lands and changing their positions with respect to the time of the day.
    It should also be noted that the game's primary pathway, that of hunting monsters, is pleasingly explored. Being a monster hunter feels gratifying and feels like a respected and realistic profession within the game's universe, and there are other things to occupy your time when not monster hunting; such as dice poker which makes for a fun mini-game.

The negatives:
    The combat within the game, although perhaps appealing to some, is too simplistic and feels too unreaslistic for my personal taste. It has a floursihed arcade-style form of combat, similar to the kind of high pulsing combat you would find in a game like Super Smash Bros, or Soul Calibur. The NPCs and the world in which they inhabit (although perhaps a flimsy criticism I acknowledge) feel, to be honest, really weird to the point of being creepy. I often found it impossible to immerse myself in the game and it's lore because I found the characters portrayed to be amazingly un-charismatic, although this could be down to the below par voice acting.

The game is very unusual however in that it feels unlike any other RPG I have played and so is immune from comparison. I would encourage people to play this game to develop their own view on it, and not least because despite my few criticisms it is a very strong game to enjoy.
  46. Dec 5, 2015
    I am a fan of the Witcher series since I've read the books back in 2005 or so (and this fact really helped enjoy the game better) however even if you haven't read the books - this is a very good RPG in itself.

The pros: + Good quality graphics, not a big deal for me gotta get that out of the way. + Wonderful soundtrack. Really immersive. + A nice "dark fantasy" world. Where elves get

The pros:
    + Good quality graphics, not a big deal for me gotta get that out of the way.
    + Wonderful soundtrack. Really immersive.
    + A nice "dark fantasy" world. Where elves get racially discriminated, town guards take drugs as bribes, and use said drugs... Witches are trying to survive the ignorant mod that fears and hates them.
    + No "good vs. evil" - just a lot of people (and other creatures) with their conflicting goals, feels and wants.
    + With the above said - often you can decide who to help and how to judge those around you.
    + A lot of character development. You start as a guy who can barely deal with a couple rabid dogs, and end up taking out dragons (well, not quite 40-meter-long High Dragons like those found in Dragon Age, but 6-meter-long Wyverns) - multiple at a time, and beating much more dangerous creatures, as well as armed human enemies (mages, angry Templars, etc).
    + Not a lot of grinding for better gear. In fact you start out with quite decent gear: a Witcher's Steel and Silver sword, and not until quite late in the game can you find a weapon that's better.
    + There are ways to get very VERY powerful, if you figure out how to. It's no cheating or bug, just strategies that you HAVE TO learn if you wanna play on HARD. And there are multiple ones.
    + There are rune stones to use as a permanent upgrade to a sword, and it's nice that the better gear is rare and interesting to find, craft and upgrade (rather than something you can buy from the town merchant - just collect 100'000 gold, like in many RPGs)
    + Unique items are obtained through truly unique experiences, that may make you value them to a point that I chose to keep that item throughout Witcher-II game (using the import save feature)
    + No **** quests like "go hunt 10 squirrels and bring me the furs". Most quests are backed with a story that something really bad happened, and only a Witcher can help the person in need.
    + The quests match the protagonist, and feel on-the-spot. So unlike Commander Shepard saving the galaxy, and then being told to deal with some scumbags that stole something from a merchant, or the Inquisitor in Dragon Age looking for a lost cow.
    + Interesting characters. Many from the book. Yes you can make relationships with them, and even cheat on them if you wish to :-)
    + Overall, there are a lot of strategic and tactical things you are encouraged to learn, and a few things to upgrade (weapon and armor), but in a thoughtful way, (rather than the grind-to-get-top-level-gear way) the game is really hard to play on HARD unless you understand how to play it right.

Cons:
    - You can't jump over a knee-high fence. WTF. But sometimes you can jump over the head of an enemy - this happens somewhat
    - The combat is a bit scripted... Not very manual control (no jump, no sprint, no duck or block), kind of an RTS-like feel to it. The "click at right time to strike a combo" is not bad, but gets old a bit too quickly. Maybe a love-it-or-hate-it thing.
    - The game world is a few isolated locations. They aren't very big either. Granted, they are nicely detailed, but will probably feel tiny to players coming from TES.
  47. Mar 6, 2012
    i am simply amazed by the game.after playing the first chapter i was about to uninstall the game but thankfully i dint.the first chapter is not that good but after that its amazing.the game lets you decide what you want to do and you will have consequences for every choice you make.now i am going to buy witcher 2.
  48. Oct 15, 2012
    I bought the Enhanced Edition Directors Cut on Steam a while ago,I must say it is deep,enjoyable and you can smell the sewers and the streets in the second chapter.Combat is satisfying once you have upgraded your character a few levels,as I found it frustrating at first.If I would have known it was this good I would have bought the retail full price as it looked a nice edition.Once itI bought the Enhanced Edition Directors Cut on Steam a while ago,I must say it is deep,enjoyable and you can smell the sewers and the streets in the second chapter.Combat is satisfying once you have upgraded your character a few levels,as I found it frustrating at first.If I would have known it was this good I would have bought the retail full price as it looked a nice edition.Once it comes down in price a bit more I may still as I would like to have it as part of my collection.Haven't played Witcher 2 yet,but if this is anything to go by I will be playing it as soon as I have finished this great game,I am thoroughly enjoying it. Expand
  49. Apr 20, 2014
    Probably the best PC RPG I've played. Mostly due to great plot, characters, factions and mostly interesting quests. An adult world where you can't please everyone. For these reasons, I enjoyed it more than Oblivion or Skyrim. However, the combat system is not as interesting, and the first 2 hours of the game might feel boring. Also, money does not really have value, as it is better to justProbably the best PC RPG I've played. Mostly due to great plot, characters, factions and mostly interesting quests. An adult world where you can't please everyone. For these reasons, I enjoyed it more than Oblivion or Skyrim. However, the combat system is not as interesting, and the first 2 hours of the game might feel boring. Also, money does not really have value, as it is better to just find the better stuff from enemies and environment. Expand
  50. Dec 29, 2011
    A fascinating RPG with depth and a creative story. It's not quite open-world, but it's not completely linear either. The combat takes a little getting used to, but you will be a master in no time. The different attack styles and weaknesses of enemies will keep you on your toes, and your playstyle and propensity for exploration will very much determine your success in the game as well asA fascinating RPG with depth and a creative story. It's not quite open-world, but it's not completely linear either. The combat takes a little getting used to, but you will be a master in no time. The different attack styles and weaknesses of enemies will keep you on your toes, and your playstyle and propensity for exploration will very much determine your success in the game as well as the difficulty. Do not be discouraged by the first boss fight; it's easily the most difficult fight in the game. For reference, I died against the first boss approximately 23-25 times, and I died less than 10 times for entire duration of the remainder of the game. I had a great time playing this, and I would recommend it to not only RPG fans, but anyone at all. Expand
  51. Apr 23, 2011
    First big game from small polish developer. Game was created on old engine bit it looks really good for 2007 RPG of the year! I didn't know what to expect after TW1 was recommend to me by my friend. Game starts slow but picks but closer to middle of the game so you have to patent ..if you survive first 2 chapters you start to enjoy very well told story. Combat could be better but it'sFirst big game from small polish developer. Game was created on old engine bit it looks really good for 2007 RPG of the year! I didn't know what to expect after TW1 was recommend to me by my friend. Game starts slow but picks but closer to middle of the game so you have to patent ..if you survive first 2 chapters you start to enjoy very well told story. Combat could be better but it's something new! never been tried before system so I give them points for trying also character development is very rich and let you play how you want you play. Highly recommended if you love RPG games. Also I have to add game goes for around 5£ (huge value for the money!) Expand
  52. Feb 20, 2014
    It was real fun work. Funny story and immerse it in a high degree of freedom in the game. It was a little uncomfortable, but the combat system was okay.
  53. Jun 4, 2016
    The Witcher is an RPG that tries to do things a little bit differently.
    Focus is on preparation of your battle, not on the battle itself: the right potions, bombs and skills will make any battle easy but lack of them may make simple battles next to impossible (depending on difficulty).
    The Witcher is an RPG that tries to do things a little bit differently.
    There's a deep story in this game with hard choices to be made with sometimes unforeseen consequences later in the game that the player must live with.
    It gives you a fantasy medieval universe yet it is a dark one where racism, hate, politic backstabbing and sickness plague its inhabitants.

If you enjoy an RPG with a good story and deep choices or you simply want to see how The Witcher began (in the games) then this game is definitely worth picking up.

Keep in mind that this game has little hand-holding and you may feel lost at times. You may also encounter some graphical glitches like I have (beards were flying everywhere xD).

It's a great journey if you're willing to forgive it's shortcomings.
  54. May 27, 2011
    The Witcher Enhanced Edition is an amazing game. Challenging gameplay, good graphics, interesting storyline. Because the first edition of the Witcher was full of bugs, CD Projekt released this, the Enhanced Edition, which was offered for FREE to users who purchased the original, first edition. Talk about amazing! Any company who strives so hard for customer satisfaction demands ourThe Witcher Enhanced Edition is an amazing game. Challenging gameplay, good graphics, interesting storyline. Because the first edition of the Witcher was full of bugs, CD Projekt released this, the Enhanced Edition, which was offered for FREE to users who purchased the original, first edition. Talk about amazing! Any company who strives so hard for customer satisfaction demands our loyalty. Slightly better than Dragon Age Origins, this was the best RPG since 2001 (Baldur's Gate). Do yourself a favor, and get the Witcher. You won't be sorry. Expand
  55. Sep 9, 2013
    I am playing this in 2013, for the first time. The Witcher is a long, immersive, detailed RPG. The story's flow is similar to likes of Baldur's Gate. The dialogue is mature, with some dry humour thrown in. Slightly different to your classic Warrior-Mage-Priest-Protagonist RPG types when it comes to character development, in that you are primarily a sword-user who can mix in various formsI am playing this in 2013, for the first time. The Witcher is a long, immersive, detailed RPG. The story's flow is similar to likes of Baldur's Gate. The dialogue is mature, with some dry humour thrown in. Slightly different to your classic Warrior-Mage-Priest-Protagonist RPG types when it comes to character development, in that you are primarily a sword-user who can mix in various forms of magic during combat, as well as crafted/purchased potions. Combat itself can be a little difficult at times, but you get used to the click-to-combo fight style after a few hours (I found playing a warrior in Dragon Age to be harder). It covers mature themes and is probably not for children. If you had not played this when it came out many years ago this can fill the void. It's as enjoyable as Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age and while it's closer to those games than Skyrim, it tries to offer a similar level of lore and fantasy. A tremendous effort by the developers, and one for the history books. Expand
  56. Jul 14, 2015
    Despite a lot of flaws and shortcomings The Witcher the best single-player fantasy CRPG of all published since Baldur`s Gate. The game is not standard and has a incredible atmosphere. The Witcher it is a rare product of the gaming industry, and industry role-playing games in particular. The game does not have the analog. The case when the developers have put own soul into the game, and didDespite a lot of flaws and shortcomings The Witcher the best single-player fantasy CRPG of all published since Baldur`s Gate. The game is not standard and has a incredible atmosphere. The Witcher it is a rare product of the gaming industry, and industry role-playing games in particular. The game does not have the analog. The case when the developers have put own soul into the game, and did so with the mind. The only flaw of the game in my opinion is old graphics engine, but otherwise it's a masterpiece. The game gives an unforgettable experience... get used to the role of Geralt of Rivia and live.. Expand
  57. May 21, 2011
    After I have seen the movie based on Sapkowskich books... I told my self, that I will not waste my time on these books... but some time after the release of the enhanced edition I gave it a try... and I got drawn into this world within minutes. The cursing dwarfs, the shady elves, the false priests, the corrupted officials and the sultry prostitutes shaped a world, which was unique amongAfter I have seen the movie based on Sapkowskich books... I told my self, that I will not waste my time on these books... but some time after the release of the enhanced edition I gave it a try... and I got drawn into this world within minutes. The cursing dwarfs, the shady elves, the false priests, the corrupted officials and the sultry prostitutes shaped a world, which was unique among the fantasy worlds I came across. (After my first playthrough I read all the 7 books in an instance...)
    Ok, this game does not offer a character creator, but instead You get a well defined and interesting anti-hero, whose story and background is a far superior feature, than a tabula rasa character. The music is so dense and folklore, the graphics are so stunning, especially compared to the great Dragon Age: Origins. I have to admit, that the facial animations are very stiff, and a lot of faces are the same, but that is the only downer in terms of graphics. The night and day cycle, the living towns and the dynamic weather are so immersive, that you cannot not play for hours. This game also features the most interesting choices, were every choice means sacrifice, were all one can do, is choose the lesser evil, where a Hollywood-style happy ending is not an option. Many people complained about the combat... It needs to get used to, yes. But it is not bad, it is a lot of fun, and when you add the potions, the bombs and Geralts skills to it, the combat becomes a very strategic gameplay, where the intelligence of the player is tested. In short... If you know what you are doing, you can defeat the game on the highest difficulty with ease, but the hard part is actually remembering and mastering all of it.
    So... in it's time, this was the second to Mass Effect 1 best looking RPG, it was definitely the most mature story-based game (I know... the sex cards... but I do have a deck of Playboy-cards myslef and I still consider my self mature) with a very deep combat system, it featured the most difficult choices, it was not afraid to punish you.

What shall I say... I love CD Project games as much as I love Bioware games, and I am not a fan of this recent troll-war between the fans of these games... people, do yourself a favor and enjoy those games... in the end, it is of no importance which is better... they are all great and they ARE worth your money!
  58. Feb 20, 2012
    I love this game. I tell's a very good story, and the world is based on Andrzej Sapkowski's books.
    Graphic Engine is not bad. Characters are great. I love everything except one thing - combat mode is quite arcade, cause of clicking in right time and small maps, cause we can't explore them for unexcepted suprise.
  59. May 13, 2016
    So, this game is a treasure. This game marks the start of the amazing Witcher saga. So what if it looks kind of dated? So what if the combat is tedious sometimes and little wonky? The storytelling and lore in this game is so good. I'd go so far as to say the story of this game might be better than the main story of Witcher 3. I have a soft spot for this game, but I think you should give itSo, this game is a treasure. This game marks the start of the amazing Witcher saga. So what if it looks kind of dated? So what if the combat is tedious sometimes and little wonky? The storytelling and lore in this game is so good. I'd go so far as to say the story of this game might be better than the main story of Witcher 3. I have a soft spot for this game, but I think you should give it a shot. One note, after the prologue chapter and the 1st chapter. The second chapter is pretty hard to get through because it's awful. Look at a guide, mod it, and try to make it through that piece of **** It's not bad story-wise, but it's so tedious that it made me stop playing the game the first time I went through until I figured out a way the lessen how horrible it was. BUT OTHER THAN THAT! PLAY THIS GAME! It's got a great ending twist and really sets up an awesome trilogy of games. Expand
  60. Aug 26, 2013
    My original favorite game. I got it at some random shop I walked into for 2 bucks, mainly because of the wolf head on the cover. Man, did I luck out. No idea what it was about prior to buying it. Of course, there are a few issues, like not being able to jump/ walk over small bumps. I just bought it again on steam for 2.50 because I like the convenience of steam, and figured I should pay atMy original favorite game. I got it at some random shop I walked into for 2 bucks, mainly because of the wolf head on the cover. Man, did I luck out. No idea what it was about prior to buying it. Of course, there are a few issues, like not being able to jump/ walk over small bumps. I just bought it again on steam for 2.50 because I like the convenience of steam, and figured I should pay at least 4.50 for such an awesome game. Expand
  61. Sep 11, 2012
    first off i recommend reading the books first as it will help immerse you in the world better. the writing and interactions between the characters is dark and witty. the atmosphere and art design captured the grim nature of the witcher's world. geralt is one of the biggest badasses in gaming. neutral, intelligent, and lethal. only reason i'm not giving this a 10 is the combat seemed a bitfirst off i recommend reading the books first as it will help immerse you in the world better. the writing and interactions between the characters is dark and witty. the atmosphere and art design captured the grim nature of the witcher's world. geralt is one of the biggest badasses in gaming. neutral, intelligent, and lethal. only reason i'm not giving this a 10 is the combat seemed a bit limited and boring. sure you can spice it up with spells, potions, coatings but it really boiled down to the timing of one button over and over. i can't wait to play the second game as it supposedly does pretty much everything better than the original. Expand
  62. Jul 7, 2011
    The Witcher (Enhanced Edition) is a gem among the adventure RPG games. Be warned though it is not a hard core RPG game, it is more like adventure game with RPG elements. There is no character customizing. You play as Geralt and thatâ
  63. Jun 13, 2013
    A great game, but it needs polish. The gameplay is meh, amounting to little more than dodging, switching between swords and spells, and mashing the attack button, but the problem with this game is that it takes a long time to get going, this isn't a game for people who have little patience. Those who have the patience though, will be rewarded with a game that has an excellent story andA great game, but it needs polish. The gameplay is meh, amounting to little more than dodging, switching between swords and spells, and mashing the attack button, but the problem with this game is that it takes a long time to get going, this isn't a game for people who have little patience. Those who have the patience though, will be rewarded with a game that has an excellent story and lore surrounding it, and will be instantly immersed. Expand
  64. Oct 26, 2014
    It's a good game. Flat-out likeable. Yet there's one flaw in it - the fighting system. Constant clicking. Once you get used to it, it will feel good enough and you'll make chains of attacks - but getting it can be oh so annoying. Even if you after some time return to the game - you'll get the feeling of 'oh **** I forgot it works like this.' The story is good, the graphics while slightlyIt's a good game. Flat-out likeable. Yet there's one flaw in it - the fighting system. Constant clicking. Once you get used to it, it will feel good enough and you'll make chains of attacks - but getting it can be oh so annoying. Even if you after some time return to the game - you'll get the feeling of 'oh **** I forgot it works like this.' The story is good, the graphics while slightly dated by now remain nice to see.
    It's an underrated classic sadly
  65. Jun 24, 2013
    I wouldn't recommend this game for everyone. I didn't like it right away and needed to give it a thorough chance before it grew on me. That said, this game is very fun. The only thing holding it back from being a great game is the engine, character movement, physics, and combat. The engine is the Aurora engine, which by the time this game came out was already showing its age. ToI wouldn't recommend this game for everyone. I didn't like it right away and needed to give it a thorough chance before it grew on me. That said, this game is very fun. The only thing holding it back from being a great game is the engine, character movement, physics, and combat. The engine is the Aurora engine, which by the time this game came out was already showing its age. To compare, Neverwinter Nights came out in 2002 and used the same engine, whereas The Witcher came out in 2007. Most all flaws I just listed come from how bad the engine is. The positives about the game are its attention to detail with the string of characters and narrative you encounter. The crafting system, alchemy, is very in-depth which myriad possible combinations; another good example of the attention to detail in this game. Combat may seem intimidating since it's quite different from other RPGs, but it honestly is easy to get used to. In fact the combat almost becomes *too* easy (even on the hardest difficulty) later in the game with upgraded talent trees, enchanted weapons, and a good amount of magical powers. The talent trees are another aspect of this game where depth and attention to detail can be seen. The story starts off fast, throws a lot of things at you in a short amount of time, but the game took me 40 hours to beat and I'm sure I missed a few side things here and there. The narrative in this game gets quite complex, with mystery becoming involved, betrayal, and even prophecy. The narrative weaves together beautifully to present a coherent and complex storyline. Overall, this game is good, has a few things holding it back, and it grows on you. It's definitely an esoteric title, which is why I can't recommend it to everyone. Give it a chance, see if it grows on you the way it did for me. Expand
  66. May 3, 2015
    I'd tried a few times to enjoy this game before and it had always eluded me. With Witcher 3 coming up and looking so impressive I decided I would plant myself in front of Witcher 2 until I had given it time to grow on me or cement my disdain for it.
    I have to say I'm glad I did. Before, the combat didn't make sense, the quests seemed ambiguous and the general flow of the game felt plodding and ponderous.
    This time, something clicked and I found that with some patience I learnt how the combat was meant to feel and I fell in love with it (mostly). The seamless jump from an Aard sign to stun, to a quick attack to close, then heavy attacks to tear chunks from the enemies health is addictive and gripping. My only gripe is that most fights tend to be either simple affairs of one or two-hitting trash enemies or somewhat frustrating Yrden/backstab fests while you dodge multitudes of other enemies. It sounds worse than it is though, the combat is punchy and satisfying and I can’t wait for more in Witcher 3.
    The questing system is still a bit frustrating. The game doesn’t warn you when you’re about to fail quests because you cross an arbitrary point in the story that is incompatible with whatever side quest you might have been working on. Again, this is a minor complaint, the system isn’t punitive and for the most part it’s clear when you’re about to enter a major story quest and need to wrap things up before you go on.
    I don’t know what it was that clicked, but I really can’t think of much to fault this game on. If Witcher 3 is everything we’ve been promised then I can only imagine where RPG’s will go from here, because it will be hard to match, let alone beat.
  67. Oct 26, 2016
    I'm a huge fan of the open world RPG games and since The Witcher is one of them, a really praised one in fact, I had very high hopes for it. In the next couple of paragraphs, I'll try to explain how did this relatively unrefined and rough around the edges game ended on my All-Time greatest RPG list.

First of all, I played the Enhanced Edition so I'll be talking about this one and not the regular version of the game. Now let's start with the graphics which, I think are roughly on par with Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights 2, but those games are four years old now so to be frank, The Witcher EE doesn't really look all that great. But nevertheless, graphics aren't that important, would argue some. What makes this game stand out is the story and how it's presented. It's centered around a witcher (a monster slayer) who is trying to hunt down members of a certain criminal organization called the Salamandra. It turns out that the Salamandra is much larger than it appeared to be at first glance. Also, it's important to note that the decisions you make in the game will change the course of some events later in the game, much like in Deus Ex. Those decisions also have an impact on The Witcher 2 if you will still have the first game installed on your hard drive. Some of the characters in The Witcher are very well done and I don't mean graphically. That includes the main protagonist Gerald and some of his girlfriends, namely Shani and Triss. The Witcher is, unlike most other RPGs such as Dungeon Siege, Titan Quest etc., a very dark themed game. Perhaps not as grim and dark as Diablo games, but still very dark. Even though the combat system is very similar to other RPG games, it's still innovative enough to not get repetitive after a while. Also I have to note that there are considerably less fighting in this game than in most other RPG games which means The Witcher isn't exactly a classic hack and slash game. There are some larger battles with maybe six or seven enemies at once, but that's about it. Other than that, herbalism and alchemy are pretty big and well made parts of the game. I like how Gerald learns about these things from the books.

But there are also some problems with The Witcher. First of all, if you have a single-core processor or a slow dual-core one and are considering buying this game, just forget about it. It will stutter like hell in the crowded city of Vizima, perhaps even in the swamps. And that brings me to another part where this game isn't doing all that well. The swamps. The most boring part of the game, mainly because the beasts living there will always try to kill you and there is basically no way around that so you'll have to fight your way through their forces over and over again because the beasts are constantly respawning. This is the only part of the game that reminded me of other more classic RPG games. In the above paragraph I also mentioned that the graphics aren't that good which is very obvious with the character models in cut-scenes. Another thing that I mentioned in the previous paragraph is that The Witcher is not a classic RPG game. Yes you still level up and you can upgrade Geralds skills such as strength, dexterity etc. but in this game, there are only around ten or so weapons to use and I bet you'll only be using the two witcher swords, because they are by far the best and coolest weapons in the game. That's a bit of a shame because I always liked a hunt for better and bigger weapons in other games. For example, I am one of those few who liked Hellgate: London even though it had nothing to offer besides the chase for better and bigger weapons. Lastly, there are some bugs in the game and it can crash to desktop, so do not forget to save your progress every now and then.

All in all The Witcher isn't a perfect game, but it's innovative in some areas, deep in others and generally very fun to play which is probably it's most important characteristic. Oblivion is still the best recent RPG out there but The Witcher in the second place isn't far behind.
  68. Jul 4, 2015
    A strange, and strangely engrossing, RPG that took my about 80 hours to finish. About 30 of those hours were well-written, but generally poorly voice acted, story content. About 15 of the hours I spent were in the game's simplistic and easy, though annoyingly unresponsive sometimes, combat system. Finally, about 35 of the hours I spent were those simply running from place to place. TheA strange, and strangely engrossing, RPG that took my about 80 hours to finish. About 30 of those hours were well-written, but generally poorly voice acted, story content. About 15 of the hours I spent were in the game's simplistic and easy, though annoyingly unresponsive sometimes, combat system. Finally, about 35 of the hours I spent were those simply running from place to place. The massive levels in this game and the fact that there is really no fast travel system makes it a chore to get from place to place for quests and other tasks.
    However, the story content, characters, and player choices in gameplay (that have immediate and deferred consequences) make it all worthwhile. Overall, it was an incredible experience to play, although it still runs less than adequately on modern systems.
  69. Oct 7, 2015
    It's been said many times over but I'll echo, the combat leaves A LOT to be desired the the story and characters save the day big time! A- Great game with just a few minor faults.
  70. May 20, 2014
    Cons:
    -The fighting system is kinda primitive.
    -The pacing can get slow at times. Pros: -Excellent story -Excellent characters, specially Geralt. -Awesome decision system and the way those decisions determine the events of the game. -The morale of the game rejects black and white perspectives, giving it a more realistic feel. -DRM free. -You collect cards of the girls you nail!
    Cons:
    -The fighting system is kinda primitive.
    -The pacing can get slow at times.

Pros:
    -Excellent story
    -Excellent characters, specially Geralt.
    -DRM free.
    -You collect cards of the girls you nail! XD
    -Minigames like dice poker are fun.
    -Amazing music.
  71. May 22, 2011
    I had never heard of this game until a little while ago. It came out right about the time Dragon Age: Origins came out and I was way too busy with that game. Now I have to look back and wonder if I should have been way too busy with this game. This game is a breathe of fresh air in the RPG category. I wanted to see if it was any good before I played the sequel to it and I was amazed. ItI had never heard of this game until a little while ago. It came out right about the time Dragon Age: Origins came out and I was way too busy with that game. Now I have to look back and wonder if I should have been way too busy with this game. This game is a breathe of fresh air in the RPG category. I wanted to see if it was any good before I played the sequel to it and I was amazed. It didn't try to cover more than it should have with it's storyline and gave the player enough. Every decision you make will count at some time or another. You will be rewarded in a good or bad way for the things you do at some time or another. The story doesn't leave you wanting more and it actually closes what it started which is pretty unheard of in this gaming age. The combat system is unique and I want to say skill based but I can't really because by the time you are ~30 hours into the game you will hear the same sound and know when you attack again. Some of the later sequences are bit harder to listen for though which was a nice change. The quests in this game are diverse and many. There are the standard kill this and get X from it on every act but those are optional and are usually completed by doing other optional quests or primaries. If you want to take a break from questing you can do dice poker or bar fighting which was fun to do every so often. I didn't really have high hopes from an indie game company to produce something of this quality but I was blown away. The only really thing I can say negatively about this game is the fact that it is easy. Once you know what to do with your spells it makes things a push over. I was playing on the hardest difficulty and relied on alchemy. I was hoping it would be harder to obtain the mats for said pots but they were littered everywhere on the acts. It made the hard version of the game very easy being able to be potted all the time. With that aside I would absolutely recommend this game to anyone even if they don't like RPGs it is just that good. Expand
  72. Oct 10, 2013
    One of my favourite game for his great unlinear story, great characters, great soundtrack, good graphics and unique combat system, but there are few bugs, bad optimalization, but still i think this game is one of the best RPG games ever made.
  73. May 20, 2011
    great game,very worthy predecessor to the witcher 2 you can pick this game up for 5 dollars now at gog.com i think this gam edeserves a 30 out of 10 for that price go out and buy it you wont regret it
  74. i0n
    Sep 4, 2013
    Incredibly immersive, this title boasts brilliant writing and a truly engaging storyline to keep you glued to the screen until completion. While not without faults, any issues that arise are minor enough to blend to the background while gameplay, plotline and the host of well crafted characters take center stage. Very enjoyable title.
  75. May 19, 2015
    Great meaningful story is definitely the strongest advantage of the game. What developers made out of the old NWN engine is simply astonishing. One of the few cRPGs that are not only about grinding monsters, collecting loot and leveling up, must-play for fans of the genre.

On the bad side - combat system makes encounters repetitive, so if you're a lot into action games, lower the score to 8/10.
  76. Jun 2, 2016
    The atmosphere, the graphic, the landscape art are amazing. The music and sounds fit the game. The fighting system is very creative, i liked it. I liked the story too. Maybe the best RPG, i have ever played.
  77. Jan 10, 2017
    The graphics didn't hold up well, but this game features an intriguing story, great characters, and gray choices. The world is dark and gritty. Among my favorite RPGs.
  78. Jan 5, 2012
    One of the most interesting role-playing games that I played. Non-trivial plot, lot of skills, charismatic characters, non-linear quests, moral choices and perfect soundtrack. Well done, CD Projekt.
  79. Mar 17, 2011
    Excellent RPG and best storytelling since Planescape:T. It has interesting concept of blurring the lines between good and evil, there is no truly "good" or truly "evil" choice. The combat gameplay is its only flaw.
    And this game is the only one that has alchemy system that I actually wanted to use and had a lot of fun doing so.
  80. Apr 30, 2011
    Short version - One of the best RPG's I have ever had the pleasure of playing in my 12 years of gaming.

Long(er) version - When I started up the Witcher after buying it extremely cheap on Steam, I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much. Something to throw a few hours into and entertain me for a little while.. but I was so wrong! This ended up being one of the most superb RPG experiences

This ended up being one of the most superb RPG experiences I have ever had, the story and immersion are second to none and the setting is just absolutely excellent.. Who doesn't want to be a professional monster hunter, hunting everything from vampires, werewolves to things you have never heard of like Kikimores and Graveirs.. you really get the feeling that you are Geralt, the white wolf, a witcher.

I see no faults whatsoever with this game and give it a 10/10, it deserves it.
  81. Jul 5, 2014
    This game has a really good story and many hours of gameplay. Choices make outcomes, decisions are valued.

I did not like that it took about three chapters to get the hang of the battle system, and even when I did it was not that great. The storyline, however, is superb.
  82. Apr 27, 2015
    Played it because I liked the look of Wild Hunt. Loved it! This is one of the best RPGs I've played since the KOTOR games and held my attention for some 70 hours and I didn't complete many of the side quests. Geralt is a character that puts most video game protagonists to shame and the decisions you make really influence the world and feel uniquely your own. Not easy to get into and I'mPlayed it because I liked the look of Wild Hunt. Loved it! This is one of the best RPGs I've played since the KOTOR games and held my attention for some 70 hours and I didn't complete many of the side quests. Geralt is a character that puts most video game protagonists to shame and the decisions you make really influence the world and feel uniquely your own. Not easy to get into and I'm sick of running around the Temple Quarter of Vizima but easily one of the best games I've played. Expand
  83. Aug 8, 2014
    O jogo é de 2008 mas estou jogando agora em 2014 e por isso já dá pra ter uma ideia da fama que o jogo possui.

Em termos de história, das escolhas morais pelas quests e das várias discussões dos diversos fóruns dedicados eu dou 10, mas pela jogabilidade atrasada, travada e bugs, 5. Assim:

História = 10
    Jogabilidade = 5

Nota = 7,5/10
  84. Oct 1, 2015
    The Witcher is an incredible RPG. I could not stop playing. The story is absolutely amazing, it really keeps you interested and all the characters are very believable. The world is not completely open but it feels open. The gameplay is a little rough but eventually you will get used to it and the story will make you want to finish.
  85. Mar 16, 2013
    A dark and brooding RPG with a very interesting story, enjoyable NPCs, a dark but graphicly pleasing world. The story will give you some hard choices. It is however a bit buggy. I suffered from quite a lot of CTD's and Geralt doesnt always do what I want :p. The combat while feeling refreshing at first, needs a bit of meat and feels somewhat clunky at times (Example: changing swords duringA dark and brooding RPG with a very interesting story, enjoyable NPCs, a dark but graphicly pleasing world. The story will give you some hard choices. It is however a bit buggy. I suffered from quite a lot of CTD's and Geralt doesnt always do what I want :p. The combat while feeling refreshing at first, needs a bit of meat and feels somewhat clunky at times (Example: changing swords during combat)., the collectible nudity card element is a bit pubescent and out of place. If you look for a strong story driven RPG, this is the game for you. Expand
  86. Aug 18, 2012
    I give the Witcher (Enhanced Edition) a 5/5. I do not know where to begin. This is by far one of the most fantastic RPGs that I have ever had to pleasure to experience. Although the awkward animations and somewhat dull voice acting may take some time to get used to, it is most definitely worth your time. I became to immersed into this game that as soon as I beat it, rather than going on toI give the Witcher (Enhanced Edition) a 5/5. I do not know where to begin. This is by far one of the most fantastic RPGs that I have ever had to pleasure to experience. Although the awkward animations and somewhat dull voice acting may take some time to get used to, it is most definitely worth your time. I became to immersed into this game that as soon as I beat it, rather than going on to the second game (which I had already purchased in my steam library) I started the first game over on the hardest difficulty setting. I just could not get enough. Buy this game. Beat it. Beat it again. Play part two. Expand
  87. Mar 19, 2011
    Fantastic game all round just a few minor flaws for me, on one particular map you find yourself fighing the same group of monsters over and over, it did get a little bit of a grind as they where quite easy to kill and just seemed like an obstacle rather than fun but this was rather early on in the game and what was to follow made me forgive this slight flaw in the game.

The only other

The only other complaint would be about boss fights, the dont really seem like boss fights, they lack a little bit of "epicness" and "challenge".

Beyond this i found the game to be brilliant, there are a few other very small matters that could be addressed but it would really be nit picking and i dont want to give the impression that the game is bad as i loved (almost) every minute of it.

There is a lot of adult themes such as drinking gambling and sexual references so its one to keep the kids away from but if your an adult and want a game to treat you as such then i think you will find a lot of laughs joy and excitement from this title, i know i certainly did.
  88. Jun 8, 2016
    This Game just became a legend a many years ago, this fantastic world which Mr Sapkowski created have a magnificent slavic and Polish accent that can not be counterfeited
  89. May 26, 2011
    Very good game! Graphics on a high level, interesting story and interesting character. I played it a few times and are happy playing again. 9 / 10
  90. Jun 21, 2013
    Once you get the hang of the unusual combat system (which will seem alien to most), there remains an incredibly touching and moving story of evil and hate, and being stuck somewhere between the two. Deep lore, which sets the game to have choices with what seems infinite possibilities, lays the way for great re-playability and a very interesting RPG.
    Only problems are having unusual times
    Only problems are having unusual times for your computer to be sent into full stress when loading or at menus. Although, this is the only performance bug I encountered, and it may be my problem.
  91. Jun 15, 2014
    I am not a fan of the combat system but the world is very immersive and the story is above average for a modern fantasy game. Graphics are very good for their time as well. Overall I feel if you are willing to deal with sub-par repetitive combat then you will have a fun time with the story and world building.
  92. Jun 3, 2015
    The Witcher is an amazing game that combines a solid story with characters that have their own identity. At first the gameplay seems uncomfortable but the more you play it, the more you adapt to it. The graphics and soundtrack merge to make the world of The Witcher more vibrant and appealing. Diversity is key here since the quests reinforce the story and make the game itself a lot moreThe Witcher is an amazing game that combines a solid story with characters that have their own identity. At first the gameplay seems uncomfortable but the more you play it, the more you adapt to it. The graphics and soundtrack merge to make the world of The Witcher more vibrant and appealing. Diversity is key here since the quests reinforce the story and make the game itself a lot more enjoyable to play again. The decision making, the variety of the enemies/characters and the magnificent story are some of the strongest aspects of this game. The Witcher isn't a perfect game considering the technical issues of the time and some limits of the game itself but it doesn't stop it to become one of the best RPGs of all time. Expand
  93. Dec 20, 2010
    Playing through the first couple of hours might not get you hooked, but if you come back just once then you might as well write off the next few weekends. This game is tremendous - detailed story, characters and environments. Lots of possibilties to explore, and so much variation as you craft your way through the game. Completely nonlinear, and lots of distractions, including taverns,Playing through the first couple of hours might not get you hooked, but if you come back just once then you might as well write off the next few weekends. This game is tremendous - detailed story, characters and environments. Lots of possibilties to explore, and so much variation as you craft your way through the game. Completely nonlinear, and lots of distractions, including taverns, hookers and dice poker. Top marks, and it looks like the sequel is going to somehow be just as awesome. Expand
  94. Mar 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off: the things I didn't like.

The combat system could be better. It consists of clicking the mouse at the right time for the hero to continue a combo, switching combat styles and weapon, considering what type of enemy you are facing. You do a LOT of pointless running back and forth, as there is no fast travel system, and that get really tedious. The amount of re-spawning enemies are - ridiculous especially low level enemies are all over the place! and it can get rather boring hacking through hordes of monsters all over the place. The dialogue scenes are just.....weired. they are poorly executed, the voice acting is dull, the characters has no animated facial expressions, and the way they express them selves with their bodies are strange to put it mildly. Personally I'm a big fan of open world games like oblivion and fallout, and this games i very restricted in the freedom of your movement and in the story. It is extremely buggy! throughout my first play-through I hardly used the quit game button, as the game crashed all the time. BUT all this considered i still really liked this game a lot.

The visuals were good, maybe not technically, as the game is a few years old now, but the atmosphere created through the music, sounds and the visuals I thought were excellent. The whole tone of this games was done really well including the flawed personality of all the characters, the underlying conflicts and difficulties i the world the is set in (The plague, the war between races etc) made this a very interesting setting for the game. The story is good, and deep with a lot of twists and turns, minor subplots that are all connected with each other, creating a long a very deep and strong story for the game.

The choices you have to make are.....heavy to put it mildly. all from what side to choose in a threatening civil war, to whom you save or don't to which friends to rely on or whom you alienate. That choices are many and have often unforeseen consequences, making the story even stronger, and give you a good platform for several play-throughs, playing a game with a slightly altered story every time.

So all in all this i a very good RPG game, with som issues and flaws, most of whom is technical. I'm really looking forward to the next game, where, if they can create a just as strong story and setting, and removes the bugs and flaws of the first game will make a really strong game that will be a favourite with most gamers, fans of the RPG genre or not.
  95. Mar 12, 2012
    2nd best polish game. One of the best RPGs ever, one of the best fantasy universes ever. : )
    I recommend this game and The Witcher Saga too! :D
    Dark and deep world with sclavinian style.
  96. Dec 27, 2012
    Its awesome game with awesome storyline and original action system. One of the best RPG ever. Impressive graphics as for 2007 and nice atosphere made this game
  97. Apr 1, 2013
    Very good start of the series. Game has great story, massive amount of sidequests. Fighting is a little bit difficult in the beginnig, but when you learn it, it gives much fun.
  98. Apr 29, 2014
    Great game !
    I don't understand why people hate on the control of the game they are fine by me.
    I only played for a couple of hour but already I fined the story realy good.
    So I am giving this an 8 out of 10.

Recommended for people who love RPG's, great STORY's and fun GAMEPLAY ( this is a personal opinion).

Thank You for reading my review.
  99. Sep 5, 2010
    The developing back story of the character and the world the story is set in is very intriguing. Along with a gripping story line and many secondary quests to extend the duration of play, the Witcher is a great RPG to add to your collection.
  100. Jun 27, 2011
    I didn't get around to this title for a long time but I always had my eye on it. I knew it would be good but I was too busy playing the RPG'S I thought were probably a lot better. Finally, I started reading the novel's and playing The Witcher. What I found was a franchise that was true to the heart of a classic CRPG player. I was amazed to find that I enjoyed it much more than Dragon AgeI didn't get around to this title for a long time but I always had my eye on it. I knew it would be good but I was too busy playing the RPG'S I thought were probably a lot better. Finally, I started reading the novel's and playing The Witcher. What I found was a franchise that was true to the heart of a classic CRPG player. I was amazed to find that I enjoyed it much more than Dragon Age and The Elder Scrolls games. It is not only more enjoyable but the writing is fantastic. This is largely due to the fact that it is a game based off of an accomplished author's work unlike similar series where a group of average writers write an average story and later if success has been had, the best of the average writers writes an average novel. By the way, the novels are great. I only wish they would keep publishing the rest of them in English.

Final though: PLAY THIS GAME!!

The main adventure still has serious pacing problems, combat's still too easy for the most part, and load times -- though reduced -- continue to get in the way of the action.
  2. The new and improved package is increasingly attractive. There are still some rough edges, and moments of genuine drama are still undercut by how they're performed, but this is an agreeably driven RPG in an agreeably ornate package.
  3. PC Format
    Finally, The Witcher fulfills its potential, and, best of all, it's available as a free update, just in case you bought it anyway. [Nov 2008, p.110]