The Witcher PC

• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Oct 30, 2007
8.8

1. Apr 4, 2014
    I really wanted to like this game, I've given it a second chance and I've given it more time this time, but I just can't get into it. The graphics look great for a game that's nearly 7 years old, there's so much to do and the storyline looks great but unfortunately the mechanics of the game are so poorly executed that I can't play for longer than 5 minutes at a time without gettingI really wanted to like this game, I've given it a second chance and I've given it more time this time, but I just can't get into it. The graphics look great for a game that's nearly 7 years old, there's so much to do and the storyline looks great but unfortunately the mechanics of the game are so poorly executed that I can't play for longer than 5 minutes at a time without getting frustrated.

The biggest detracting feature from the game is the clunky combat system that feels so counter intuitive. In most RPG's clicking the mouse means the weapon swings and damage is dealt, but not in this game. You have to click on an enemy and hold-click before anything happens, then let go and hold-click as fast as possible again and rinse and repeat until the same combo's are repeated over and over again before an enemy dies. Most of the time the enemy is just standing there like a retard while Geralt is holding the sword above his head and also standing there like a retard. Then there's a bit of bumping and grinding while no weapons are being swung... then some grunting and finally some combat that feels like the fighters are completely disconnected from each other as if they were swinging their weapons in thin air. Then there's having to change the fight style for each different enemy in a mob or just having the blanket swing and hit all fight style that still looks disconnected and clunky with no smooth combat flow. Finally there's the magical right click skill that also, like the combat, doesn't always fire off when the right mouse button is clicked.

The voice acting is a bit of a mixed bag and sometimes conveys the emotion behind the words being said, but often doesn't and the character animations while speaking could have been done a lot better. The body language is just weird.

Next, there is the inventory, which is also weird in that Geralt can only hold weapons that he can use, none of which he can carry in his backpack.
  2. Jul 22, 2012
    You can have this game on steam for a few buck. It sure is worth a try. The worst point is the combat system. Works fine but mechanic is as simple as **** Just click when the cursor turn gold. Luckily there's alchemy, two different swords (one for human, one for beasts) and three combat style that will make the experience a little better. Main quest rocks and some side quests are worthYou can have this game on steam for a few buck. It sure is worth a try. The worst point is the combat system. Works fine but mechanic is as simple as **** Just click when the cursor turn gold. Luckily there's alchemy, two different swords (one for human, one for beasts) and three combat style that will make the experience a little better. Main quest rocks and some side quests are worth playing. During the game you will have to make choices which will affect the plot. Choices are not a simple good vs bad. Take your choice and pay the consequences!
    For those who have no sexual life there's the chance you will have a shot with some female NPCs during the game. At least something to speak about with your friends!
  3. Mar 13, 2011
    First off: the things I didn't like.

First off: the things I didn't like.

The combat system could be better. It consists of clicking the mouse at the right time for the hero to continue a combo, switching combat styles and weapon, considering what type of enemy you are facing. You do a LOT of pointless running back and forth, as there is no fast travel system, and that get really tedious. The amount of re-spawning enemies are - ridiculous especially low level enemies are all over the place! and it can get rather boring hacking through hordes of monsters all over the place. The dialogue scenes are just.....weired. they are poorly executed, the voice acting is dull, the characters has no animated facial expressions, and the way they express them selves with their bodies are strange to put it mildly. Personally I'm a big fan of open world games like oblivion and fallout, and this games i very restricted in the freedom of your movement and in the story. It is extremely buggy! throughout my first play-through I hardly used the quit game button, as the game crashed all the time. BUT all this considered i still really liked this game a lot.

The visuals were good, maybe not technically, as the game is a few years old now, but the atmosphere created through the music, sounds and the visuals I thought were excellent. The whole tone of this games was done really well including the flawed personality of all the characters, the underlying conflicts and difficulties i the world the is set in (The plague, the war between races etc) made this a very interesting setting for the game. The story is good, and deep with a lot of twists and turns, minor subplots that are all connected with each other, creating a long a very deep and strong story for the game.

The choices you have to make are.....heavy to put it mildly. all from what side to choose in a threatening civil war, to whom you save or don't to which friends to rely on or whom you alienate. That choices are many and have often unforeseen consequences, making the story even stronger, and give you a good platform for several play-throughs, playing a game with a slightly altered story every time.

So all in all this i a very good RPG game, with som issues and flaws, most of whom is technical. I'm really looking forward to the next game, where, if they can create a just as strong story and setting, and removes the bugs and flaws of the first game will make a really strong game that will be a favourite with most gamers, fans of the RPG genre or not.
  4. HestonH.
    Mar 8, 2008
    Well it's not Baldur's Gate. I enjoyed the game and there were a lot of original things about it. I liked the fighting styles and the alchemy element was really good. However the story and voice-acting were uninspired. The writing in particular was really bland in parts and certain conversations with NPC's were completely illogical. The lack of variety concerning weapons Well it's not Baldur's Gate. I enjoyed the game and there were a lot of original things about it. I liked the fighting styles and the alchemy element was really good. However the story and voice-acting were uninspired. The writing in particular was really bland in parts and certain conversations with NPC's were completely illogical. The lack of variety concerning weapons and armor was also a glaring fault. The game was of a decent length, however I never really felt completely immersed in the game world. Expand
  5. PavelC.
    Nov 28, 2007
    Would be a good game if it wasn't for the load times. Have to sit and watch the ***fun*** loading bar for a couple of minutes EVERY couple of minutes.
  6. Nov 30, 2012
    I'm in 7 hours into this game so far and I'm not into fantasy settings. The story did not really unfold yet, but the quests are interesting enough to push on. Alchemy is fun once you get the hang of it, and I found myself buying books from a traveler just to know more of the world and be better in alchemy. The fight system needs a little getting used to, but works well, alchemy makes yourI'm in 7 hours into this game so far and I'm not into fantasy settings. The story did not really unfold yet, but the quests are interesting enough to push on. Alchemy is fun once you get the hang of it, and I found myself buying books from a traveler just to know more of the world and be better in alchemy. The fight system needs a little getting used to, but works well, alchemy makes your life 100 times easier. I like the multiple types of control schemes also, you can control with one mouse if you like, or go with the kb+mouse over the shoulder camera setup. Expand
  7. Adam
    Nov 2, 2007
    Nice try... but overall the product is mediocre. Cinematics are stunning, but gameplay is rough. Amateurish design haunts the interface. Well that eventually done, but not well done.
  8. DavidD.
    Jan 4, 2008
    I got this game because i have never seen such a high cumulative rating for a game from users in a long time. Oh, and also because of so many damn people mentioning it in the same breath as Baldur's Gate and Planescape. If i read one more person compare it to those games, i am going to shoot someone!! It is NOTHING like those games!! In fact, it's not even close. I'm sorry I got this game because i have never seen such a high cumulative rating for a game from users in a long time. Oh, and also because of so many damn people mentioning it in the same breath as Baldur's Gate and Planescape. If i read one more person compare it to those games, i am going to shoot someone!! It is NOTHING like those games!! In fact, it's not even close. I'm sorry but this game never engaged me in any way. Also, the game is a huge system hog. Lots of Ram is recommended. I don't know how people can get into a game that has that many loading sessions also. Way overhyped!! Expand
  9. ThomasN.
    Jan 5, 2008
    I must say, that i had high hopes of this game, when i heard of all the praise it has been given. when the game started, and i saw the intro movie, i was thrilled, and couldnt wait to start. but when the game started (after an awfully long loading time) all i saw was sloppy animation nad awful voices, sure the history might be good, but i still wants some graphics backing the story up. my I must say, that i had high hopes of this game, when i heard of all the praise it has been given. when the game started, and i saw the intro movie, i was thrilled, and couldnt wait to start. but when the game started (after an awfully long loading time) all i saw was sloppy animation nad awful voices, sure the history might be good, but i still wants some graphics backing the story up. my hopes had not dropped altogether yet though, i was still waiting to see how the fighting turned out. alas, another dissapointment, an uninspiring combat system and boring attacks, made me wish to just uninstall the game altogether. my hopes rose a bit again when i reached the first town, filled with live and ambience. this, though, was not enough to make me play on. i am utterly dissapointed. Expand
  10. MichaelB.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Although visually stunning the games load times kill any of the fun for me. I have an extremely high end system 10,000 RPM in RAID, 8800 GTX Ultra and a QUAD CORE CPU with 2 Gigz of Kick as Dominator RAM.... I can leave the room, get something to drink and come back and maybe it will have loaded by then. I honestly spend more time loading this thing than playing it. It has my interest to Although visually stunning the games load times kill any of the fun for me. I have an extremely high end system 10,000 RPM in RAID, 8800 GTX Ultra and a QUAD CORE CPU with 2 Gigz of Kick as Dominator RAM.... I can leave the room, get something to drink and come back and maybe it will have loaded by then. I honestly spend more time loading this thing than playing it. It has my interest to be sure, but until I see a patch that fixes that issue I'm going to shelf it for the time being. Expand
  11. Sep 19, 2011
    I give it 3 points for trying, and another 3 for trying kinda nice. The Witcher sucked me for the first part. But after I got to Triss I just lost my interest. I couldn't stand Witcher as detective.
  12. Jun 15, 2012
    A game well woth playing, to be sure, but far too immature to be the dark roleplaying experience it set out to be. Plus, in an attempt to compensate for the "no matter which course you choose, all is well"-attitude of other games, here you're not rewarded for your actions, but rather punished. Action have consequences, and they're not mainly positive with some negative side-effects (asA game well woth playing, to be sure, but far too immature to be the dark roleplaying experience it set out to be. Plus, in an attempt to compensate for the "no matter which course you choose, all is well"-attitude of other games, here you're not rewarded for your actions, but rather punished. Action have consequences, and they're not mainly positive with some negative side-effects (as might have been the intention), but always dire, and the negative sides by far outweigh the positive sides, which makes this game pretty tiring at times. Expand
  13. Josh
    Jul 15, 2008
    Combat: Takes a step back, autotarget fighting isn't fun or challenging, why do people like to have less control over their characters? Clicking at the right time isn't even hard and it still doesnt change teh mechanics of I don't control how I attack etc. Graphics: Are good for an RPG, but Oblivion is older and still has better graphics, so I can't say I find them Combat: Takes a step back, autotarget fighting isn't fun or challenging, why do people like to have less control over their characters? Clicking at the right time isn't even hard and it still doesnt change teh mechanics of I don't control how I attack etc. Graphics: Are good for an RPG, but Oblivion is older and still has better graphics, so I can't say I find them great, the environments arent very interesting to look at either. Linearity: Your following a chapter by chapter sequence, but you can choose to do whatever during the chapter which is okay, but the main quest is just what your going to do anyway with a couple side quests, and the world is NOT open, actually I found each level pretty small. Progression: It's okay, their aren't that many spells, u can just get additional effects to spells, other than that its alrite. Storyline: When I first heard the general idea for teh witcher it sounded cool, some guy taking down monsters etc. But when you get the world revealed to you, you realize it's a completely fantasy world so its not like its any different from any fantasy game, the monsters are just monsters like any other rpg, and there's elves and dwarves. Just a standard rpg setting with a more minor key tone. Also as for environments etc, its just terrible imo, nothing changes, your in the same setting type throughout the game for the most part, a village, a city, a different quarter of that city, a forest... The general storyline is kinda stupid, Some guy steals some mutagens so you track him down, you see him several times wherever you go, at one point you could have had him like seriously, you wlak outside to see him and several thugs you hide behind the door until he leaves and u still face the thugs anyway.. like wtf... I don't blame the critics at all, I enjoyed mass effect much more, Mass effect watered down? a laugh considering as much as mass effect lacks in progression content, it has more spells, more attributes, and actually a choice of classes, the storyline is also so much better, like not even worth an argument, there's also a lot different environments.. the witcher is maybe worth a play through for an rpg fan that's about it. Expand
  14. Jun 13, 2015
    Iniciamos con una cinemática, no nos explican nada. Nos hablan de brujos, el nacimiento de la era de la espada y el hacha, y el personaje queda herido. De hay vamos a otra cinemática y según parece estamos en una fortaleza de hechiceros, pero no hay mas que 4 personas en todo el lugar, y unos bandidos atacan. Y empezamos.... No entiendo ni donde estoy ni que pasa, nos dicen que conocemos aIniciamos con una cinemática, no nos explican nada. Nos hablan de brujos, el nacimiento de la era de la espada y el hacha, y el personaje queda herido. De hay vamos a otra cinemática y según parece estamos en una fortaleza de hechiceros, pero no hay mas que 4 personas en todo el lugar, y unos bandidos atacan. Y empezamos.... No entiendo ni donde estoy ni que pasa, nos dicen que conocemos a la pelirroja y ya vamos a matar gente. Eh jugado 1 hora y no tengo ninguna intención de continuar. Si a ti te gusta, bien, pero no siento nada. Se siente como una excusa para matar, y el combate es hacer click. Decidí iniciar en la mayor dificultad y aun así no morí ni una ves. Y no siento que tenga algo que ver con mi habilidad, es solo hacer click cada segundo, lo hice y no perdí ni la mitad de mi vida. Eh jugado Dark Souls, al principio no parecía haber mucho, pero al menos si tenia ganas de continuar por que la jugabilidad si entretenia desde el inicio, tenia una motivación por el caballero que me pide que cumpla su ultimo deseo, eso me basto, pero aquí... No hay nada que me haga sentir que tengo que continuar. La jugabilidad no es entretenida, no nos dan nada de contexto aparte de 2 cosas, que hay brujos y es la edad de la espada y el hacha. Simplemente no me engancha en nada. Ni historia, ni mecánicas, ni los personajes suenan estar interesados en lo que pasa.

Aunque al menos no desperdicie mi dinero. Me costo $1.49, por lo que no perdí mucho. Y me encanto que venga un cómic interactivo. De echo disfrute mas el "combate" de el cómic que el del juego. !!Es de locos!! El combate de Skyrim es mas complejo y variado.

No lo le daré una puntuación por que no lo termine, pero no lo recomiendo.

1. So if you’re looking for a dark and moody role-playing game that is different than everything else out there, and if you have a reasonably powerful computer that can handle the engine, and if you don’t mind adult themes that are more than a little male-centric, then the Witcher is certainly a game to consider.
  2. Trading more traditional, menu-drilling RPG “depth” for sheer style, action, mechanical elegance and what might be called a refreshingly grim mood, The Witcher is one of the most compelling - if not the cheeriest - fantasy excursions to come along in many a moon.
  3. The Witcher is a fantastic RPG, a perfect recreation of the world imagined by Sapkowski. Being focused in a complex story as it is, the many hours of play will make us completely disregard the absence of multiplayer of any kind.