8.8

1. Jun 10, 2017
    Great game. i have spent a lot of time on this title. It has a great story with memorable characters. Good gameplay with lots of possibilities during missions and best cut scenes with good dialogs.
  2. Apr 16, 2017
    Worth playing for its story and writing, but the gameplay is painfully boring.

Positives: - Interesting story and good writing. Even minor characters are often written with attention and detail. For example, I loved Vincent and Carmen and loved even more how their storylines unexpectedly intertwined later. Or the swamp hermit and his little secret. That's attention to detail you
    Worth playing for its story and writing, but the gameplay is painfully boring.

Positives:

- Interesting story and good writing. Even minor characters are often written with attention and detail. For example, I loved Vincent and Carmen and loved even more how their storylines unexpectedly intertwined later. Or the swamp hermit and his little secret. That's attention to detail you rarely get in video games.
    The story also has plenty of turns and twists and there's always some mystery. Unlike most games, it never becomes predictable.

- The game attempts to provide player with some meaningful choices to make. Those choices do have consequences. It can sometimes feel silly how the game tries to frame a choice, but I still appreciate what they're trying to do. (Silly as in "would you like to kill this cute kitten or this cute puppy?" How about we don't kill any of them and instead eat something else?)

- Great graphics and voice acting.

- Hmm... how should I put it... Possibility to "bed" any female in sight is a nice original touch. This is the first game I see where a reward for completing a quest or selecting a right dialogue choice is sex. I mean second, there's still Leisure Suit Larry.

Negatives:

- The game is super easy on the top difficulty. The early game is a breeze with the knock-out spell, the late game is dominated by the fire spell (igni). 1 on 1, just about any monster can be slain by selecting the right sword, the right attack type and stacking on combos: they won't be able to hit you even once. Potions, greases and bombs are mostly unnecessary. The only places where you're at least slightly challenged are the chapter-ending bosses.

- Bugs. This gotta be the buggiest game I played. (Aside from that time I used a Nintendo simulator to play Conker) It crashes and freezes all the time. I routinely get 'not enough disk space' message when trying to save (despite having 60Gb+).

- I suspect inventory size was selected to make sure the game is not too easy. When the most challenging part of your game is inventory management, you know things are not going well.
  3. Apr 3, 2017
    I have played this game extensively for five years but I was inspired to write a review based on some odd negative opinions about this first game. As someone who couldn't get into this game the first 3-4 times I tried to play it, I think I can offer some words of motivation.

One of the most off-putting features of this game are the combat mechanics. They take some getting used to, and you may have to force yourself, but eventually you get the hang of it and learn that this game is not about the combat so much as it is the story and character interactions. The combat in this game is definitely secondary, which can be a strange feeling for most gamers.

The graphics can look dated now, but the Enhanced Edition with some texture mods will quickly get this game up to speed. The biggest issue is Geralt, as no amount of mods will fix his odd gelfling appearance. However it does a lot for other character models and the environs. The views from the Dike across the water are positively stunning at times and some areas like Lakeside are very quaint.

The biggest flaw in this game (adjusted for inflation) are the side quests. I really think this game overdid it on the side quests--mostly meaningless fetch quests and inconsequential tedium--and CPR certainly acknowledged this as they wound back the quantity of them in the next game.

The game doesn't really have a devoted crafting system. It's present, but it's fairly useless even on high difficulties. You can get by with sharpening tools that you can apply to your swords on your own.

The weirdest thing about this game is the fact that the first boss you encounter is BY FAR the most difficult. The Beast for some reason was a force to be reckoned with on my first playthrough. Yet the bosses become more and more of a joke as the game progresses. I have mixed feelings about the ending. On one hand, I felt the ending did wonders for the story. Everything was wrapped up quite well. On the other hand all that tension was pissed all over by a very weak end encounter that didn't require me to be geared, skilled, or prepared. Protip: don't spec uber-Igni if you want ANY feeling of difficulty in this game. Igni is hax.
  4. Dec 30, 2016
    Un gran juego con elecciones interesantes y una historia interesante. El sistema de combate es extraño, pero no malo, simplemente es algo que nunca había visto en ningun otro juego.
    Me gusta bastante el sistema de leveleo, es complejo y tiene muchas cosas por elegir. Lo que no me gusta y la razón por la cual le bajo un punto, es el hecho de que sea tan conflictivo a la hora de saber que hacer. Hay misiones que las activas y no te dicen hacia donde ir ni que hacer, por lo que o lo adivinas, o te ves obligado a mirar en internet alguna guía.
    Mas allá de eso, exelente juego.
  5. Jun 20, 2016
    The witcher is a long bore littered with fetch qests and boring dialog. If you are not good with names you will get confused because the story is very complicated with TONS of people involved. Its basicly a talking game, fighting is secondary and the fighting is abysmal, like all the other witcher games. Tons of people stopped playing this game because of how boring it is (the fanboys willThe witcher is a long bore littered with fetch qests and boring dialog. If you are not good with names you will get confused because the story is very complicated with TONS of people involved. Its basicly a talking game, fighting is secondary and the fighting is abysmal, like all the other witcher games. Tons of people stopped playing this game because of how boring it is (the fanboys will deny this) and they are only playing it so that they can play the next witcher (which is even worse than this one). So save yourself the trouble and dont waste your time with this series! Its insanely boring from start to finish! Expand
  6. Feb 29, 2016
    I've given the game a shot and it was worth it. I had read every single book about Geralt's adventures before. About the gameplay... by the time graphic was considered very decent, story perfect and unique approach to a player surprisingly positive.
  7. Jan 21, 2016
    The Witcher is a masterpiece RPG, that stands out for its beautiful storytelling and characters, and its variety in missions.Even though this is the one that i least like in the trilogy, i still feel that caring that most people have for their favorite sagas or trilogy's first sons, so yes, i do think that this is probably one of the best RPGs ever made. Thanks CD Project Red, for thisThe Witcher is a masterpiece RPG, that stands out for its beautiful storytelling and characters, and its variety in missions.Even though this is the one that i least like in the trilogy, i still feel that caring that most people have for their favorite sagas or trilogy's first sons, so yes, i do think that this is probably one of the best RPGs ever made. Thanks CD Project Red, for this amazing games that you have blessed us with. Its only problem must be it's difficulty, i know that games are more fun when you need to die a lot to play it. But this game is just to much OP, i like difficult, but not this much. Expand
  8. Dec 5, 2015
    I am a fan of the Witcher series since I've read the books back in 2005 or so (and this fact really helped enjoy the game better) however even if you haven't read the books - this is a very good RPG in itself.

The pros: + Good quality graphics, not a big deal for me gotta get that out of the way. + Wonderful soundtrack. Really immersive. + A nice "dark fantasy" world. Where elves get

The pros:
    + Good quality graphics, not a big deal for me gotta get that out of the way.
    + Wonderful soundtrack. Really immersive.
    + A nice "dark fantasy" world. Where elves get racially discriminated, town guards take drugs as bribes, and use said drugs... Witches are trying to survive the ignorant mod that fears and hates them.
    + No "good vs. evil" - just a lot of people (and other creatures) with their conflicting goals, feels and wants.
    + With the above said - often you can decide who to help and how to judge those around you.
    + A lot of character development. You start as a guy who can barely deal with a couple rabid dogs, and end up taking out dragons (well, not quite 40-meter-long High Dragons like those found in Dragon Age, but 6-meter-long Wyverns) - multiple at a time, and beating much more dangerous creatures, as well as armed human enemies (mages, angry Templars, etc).
    + Not a lot of grinding for better gear. In fact you start out with quite decent gear: a Witcher's Steel and Silver sword, and not until quite late in the game can you find a weapon that's better.
    + There are ways to get very VERY powerful, if you figure out how to. It's no cheating or bug, just strategies that you HAVE TO learn if you wanna play on HARD. And there are multiple ones.
    + There are rune stones to use as a permanent upgrade to a sword, and it's nice that the better gear is rare and interesting to find, craft and upgrade (rather than something you can buy from the town merchant - just collect 100'000 gold, like in many RPGs)
    + Unique items are obtained through truly unique experiences, that would make you value them to a point that I chose to keep that item throughout Witcher-II game (using the import save feature)
    + No **** quests like "go hunt 10 squirrels and bring me the furs". Most quests are backed with a story that something really bad happened, and only a Witcher can help the person in need.
    + The quests match the protagonist, and feel on-the-spot. So unlike Commander Shepard saving the galaxy, and then being told to deal with some scumbags that stole something from a merchant, or the Inquisitor in Dragon Age looking for a lost cow.
    + Interesting characters. Many from the book. Yes you can make relationships with them, and even cheat on them if you wish to :-)
    + Overall, there are a lot of strategic and tactical things you are encouraged to learn, and a few things to upgrade (weapon and armor), but in a thoughtful way, (rather than the grind-to-get-top-level-gear way) the game is really hard to play on HARD unless you understand how to play it right.

Cons:
    - You can't jump over a knee-high fence. WTF. But sometimes you can jump over the head of an enemy - this happens somewhat unexpectedly
    - The combat is a bit scripted... Not very manual control (no jump, no sprint, no duck or block), kind of an RTS-like feel to it. The "click at right time to strike a combo" is not bad, but gets old a bit too quickly. Maybe a love-it-or-hate-it thing.
    - The game world is a few isolated locations. They aren't very big either. Granted, they are nicely detailed, but will probably feel tiny to players coming from TES.
  9. Nov 6, 2015
    If you want to play this game after the new titles (for me "Witcher 3"), you will have a very hard time enjoying this game. It is technically outdated, just uncomfortable to play and not sufficient for my modern claims. Yes, I am rating this game from a modern point of view - but I write this review today and if I should advice you to get this game then do not pay too much for! Overall youIf you want to play this game after the new titles (for me "Witcher 3"), you will have a very hard time enjoying this game. It is technically outdated, just uncomfortable to play and not sufficient for my modern claims. Yes, I am rating this game from a modern point of view - but I write this review today and if I should advice you to get this game then do not pay too much for! Overall you might enjoy it more if you are not used to the modern games this days. Expand
  10. Oct 10, 2015
    played this game awhile back interesting storyline but the horrible controls ruined it for me. Too bad they didn't address that in the enhanced edition :(
  11. Jun 27, 2015
    - Good: Atmosphere, Setting, Story, Characters, C&C, Music, Alchemy, Writing, Ending, Art Direction
    - Mixed: Combat, Exploration
    - Bad: ---

Fantastic game, one of the most atmospheric RPG to date with great soundrack, story and artistic style. Choice and consequence done right.
  12. Jun 13, 2015
    Iniciamos con una cinemática, no nos explican nada. Nos hablan de brujos, el nacimiento de la era de la espada y el hacha, y el personaje queda herido. De hay vamos a otra cinemática y según parece estamos en una fortaleza de hechiceros, pero no hay mas que 4 personas en todo el lugar, y unos bandidos atacan. Y empezamos.... No entiendo ni donde estoy ni que pasa, nos dicen que conocemos aIniciamos con una cinemática, no nos explican nada. Nos hablan de brujos, el nacimiento de la era de la espada y el hacha, y el personaje queda herido. De hay vamos a otra cinemática y según parece estamos en una fortaleza de hechiceros, pero no hay mas que 4 personas en todo el lugar, y unos bandidos atacan. Y empezamos.... No entiendo ni donde estoy ni que pasa, nos dicen que conocemos a la pelirroja y ya vamos a matar gente. Eh jugado 1 hora y no tengo ninguna intención de continuar. Si a ti te gusta, bien, pero no siento nada. Se siente como una excusa para matar, y el combate es hacer click. Decidí iniciar en la mayor dificultad y aun así no morí ni una ves. Y no siento que tenga algo que ver con mi habilidad, es solo hacer click cada segundo, lo hice y no perdí ni la mitad de mi vida. Eh jugado Dark Souls, al principio no parecía haber mucho, pero al menos si tenia ganas de continuar por que la jugabilidad si entretenia desde el inicio, tenia una motivación por el caballero que me pide que cumpla su ultimo deseo, eso me basto, pero aquí... No hay nada que me haga sentir que tengo que continuar. La jugabilidad no es entretenida, no nos dan nada de contexto aparte de 2 cosas, que hay brujos y es la edad de la espada y el hacha. Simplemente no me engancha en nada. Ni historia, ni mecánicas, ni los personajes suenan estar interesados en lo que pasa.

Aunque al menos no desperdicie mi dinero. Me costo $1.49, por lo que no perdí mucho. Y me encanto que venga un cómic interactivo. De echo disfrute mas el "combate" de el cómic que el del juego. !!Es de locos!! El combate de Skyrim es mas complejo y variado.

No lo le daré una puntuación por que no lo termine, pero no lo recomiendo.
  13. Feb 14, 2015
    BEST GAME EVER!
    ...............................................................................................................................
  14. Nov 27, 2014
    For new player this game may be very unintuitive and therefore frustrating. You must actually spend many hours just to learn how play it.. really! Its in fact not even "game" but 100% interactive movie, even combat is made from animations of fight. Am actually don't believe this sword touch anything in surrounding, you just click different objects to play different animations and that isFor new player this game may be very unintuitive and therefore frustrating. You must actually spend many hours just to learn how play it.. really! Its in fact not even "game" but 100% interactive movie, even combat is made from animations of fight. Am actually don't believe this sword touch anything in surrounding, you just click different objects to play different animations and that is all "game" If you are not fan of movie, character and story they you may possibly bounce off from it like ball from wall. Don't expect anything whatsoever like Elder Scrolls, Gothic, Risen etc. it should have own category its that different. Expand
  15. Nov 19, 2014
    The Witcher is one of the best games which I ever played. This climate (quite like Sapkowski's book), storyline and gameplay ! I would write more about this game, but my English is not perfect :).
    PS: Play with mod FCR (Full Combat Rebalance).
  16. Nov 11, 2014
    Complex rpg with an amazing storyline. The grapics are decent for 2007, the animations not that good, Music is beautiful. Combat depends on you if you like it or not. At least it differs from all other games I have ever play. Chararcters are memorable and interesting. Considering that was the first game of CD Project RED, they did a amazing job with it.
  17. Aug 2, 2014
    Story - 10/10
    Gameplay - 8/10
    Sound/Music - 10/10
    Graphics - 9/10
    World Design - 10/10
    Dialogs - 10/10
    AI - 9/10
    Deserves an assessment 9/10, but I will put 10 because it is the first game CD Projekt Red.
  18. Apr 4, 2014
    I really wanted to like this game, I've given it a second chance and I've given it more time this time, but I just can't get into it. The graphics look great for a game that's nearly 7 years old, there's so much to do and the storyline looks great but unfortunately the mechanics of the game are so poorly executed that I can't play for longer than 5 minutes at a time without gettingI really wanted to like this game, I've given it a second chance and I've given it more time this time, but I just can't get into it. The graphics look great for a game that's nearly 7 years old, there's so much to do and the storyline looks great but unfortunately the mechanics of the game are so poorly executed that I can't play for longer than 5 minutes at a time without getting frustrated.

The biggest detracting feature from the game is the clunky combat system that feels so counter intuitive. In most RPG's clicking the mouse means the weapon swings and damage is dealt, but not in this game. You have to click on an enemy and hold-click before anything happens, then let go and hold-click as fast as possible again and rinse and repeat until the same combo's are repeated over and over again before an enemy dies. Most of the time the enemy is just standing there like a retard while Geralt is holding the sword above his head and also standing there like a retard. Then there's a bit of bumping and grinding while no weapons are being swung... then some grunting and finally some combat that feels like the fighters are completely disconnected from each other as if they were swinging their weapons in thin air. Then there's having to change the fight style for each different enemy in a mob or just having the blanket swing and hit all fight style that still looks disconnected and clunky with no smooth combat flow. Finally there's the magical right click skill that also, like the combat, doesn't always fire off when the right mouse button is clicked.

The voice acting is a bit of a mixed bag and sometimes conveys the emotion behind the words being said, but often doesn't and the character animations while speaking could have been done a lot better. The body language is just weird.

Next, there is the inventory, which is also weird in that Geralt can only hold weapons that he can use, none of which he can carry in his backpack.
  19. Mar 7, 2014
    The Witcher is a game that feels dated by today's standard but strangely one game that despite its flaws, never fails to have me glued to it two to three hours a time, for me, thats a very long time to be playing games! The clicking style combat is boring for me and serves no purpose but its really the story that keeps me glued to the game for hours a time. The whole world is so alive withThe Witcher is a game that feels dated by today's standard but strangely one game that despite its flaws, never fails to have me glued to it two to three hours a time, for me, thats a very long time to be playing games! The clicking style combat is boring for me and serves no purpose but its really the story that keeps me glued to the game for hours a time. The whole world is so alive with everything and everyone living their own lives with or without you. There's so many ways to handle everything that you can really get creative... want to buy a kickass piece of gear? You can either gamble for it, fight for it, trade stuffs for it... etc... its just how much you want it. This is truly an amazing piece of RPG which doesn't really deliver on the action side but its RPG elements are what I have never seen before... much better than Baldur's Gate. If you want good action and awesome enemy design, this is not the game for you... every other action games out there ace this game in terms of these two areas but if you want a DEEP, and I mean DEEEEEP, RPG... this is for you! Expand
  20. Feb 24, 2014
    The Witcher is one of the best RPGs I ever played. I liked the combat system, the character development, the graphics, the theme and all that. Above all, the story telling and the atmosphere. It is very rare to find so much immersion and depth in a game and this one has plenty of it. The music is beautifull too. The only downside I can think of is the technical side of it. Saving the gamesThe Witcher is one of the best RPGs I ever played. I liked the combat system, the character development, the graphics, the theme and all that. Above all, the story telling and the atmosphere. It is very rare to find so much immersion and depth in a game and this one has plenty of it. The music is beautifull too. The only downside I can think of is the technical side of it. Saving the games did not work very well as far as I remember and there were some other similar minor problems too. Somehow, The Witcher games do not seem to handle the technical side so well. Apart from that, this game is a genius. Expand
  21. Dec 2, 2013
    Polish best game ever made. My favourite game from all. Everything is the best. Story, combat, voice acting, characters etc. I have finished The Wicher three times and I love it.
  22. Oct 16, 2013
    İt the most realistic and playable role playing game in the 2007's. You should give the chance this stuff. Actions and graphics are wonderfull. if you have a GREAT TİME you have to play.
  23. Oct 10, 2013
    Bad controls, substandard plot, no character customization and trying to push through praying that adolescent boys will ignore the horrible game-play for the chance to see sex. The main character is trying desperately to present himself as a mysterious tough guy, but completely falls short when he is emasculated by every woman he meets.
  24. Jul 29, 2013
    The game art is done with style, sure, especially the starting cutscene. Unfortunately the combat system just sucks big time. I dropped the game after just a few fights in frustration.
  25. Apr 21, 2013
    When I hear the word ARPG I tend to cringe and move on. They tend to be light on story due to the increased attention to combat and the free aim combat as seen in the Elder Scrolls series just drive me nuts. Fortunately, The Witcher doesn't suffer from either of these problems. The story was interesting, something I rarely say about newer RPGs anymore and the combat isn't free aim. It doesWhen I hear the word ARPG I tend to cringe and move on. They tend to be light on story due to the increased attention to combat and the free aim combat as seen in the Elder Scrolls series just drive me nuts. Fortunately, The Witcher doesn't suffer from either of these problems. The story was interesting, something I rarely say about newer RPGs anymore and the combat isn't free aim. It does require far more clicking than any of the old infinity engine RPGs due to the combo system, which can ware on your nerves at time, but overall it works well and can be interesting to watch (for a few minutes) after you unlock new combo moves. Not as grindy and combat heavy as other ARPGs. Hitting most of the side quests I spent about 30 hours to beat it. Well worth the massively discounted price you can find it at. Expand
  26. Apr 1, 2013
    Very good start of the series. Game has great story, massive amount of sidequests. Fighting is a little bit difficult in the beginnig, but when you learn it, it gives much fun.
  27. Mar 31, 2013
    The story of the witcher Geralt is an entirely absorbing tale. Visually impressive for 2007, the game has aged well. You have a multitude of options in character development and progression, every decision made has it's own merits and reasons, separating it from every other cut and paste RPG whose moral compass limits you to either evil or good.
  28. Dec 8, 2012
    Ok, 20 minutes of cinematic and stupid dialogs before I could make a single move. And once it's up to you, character keeps jumping everywhere to the single key you press and you have no clue what you're doing. And then, it's back for 20 minutes of cinematic and stupid dialogs.
    Also, keeps lagging for no reason when there's nobody on the screen but runs smooth when there are 10 characters battling. Not sure I'll have the courage to give it another chance. Too bad, you got your chance and wasted it.
  29. Nov 30, 2012
    I'm in 7 hours into this game so far and I'm not into fantasy settings. The story did not really unfold yet, but the quests are interesting enough to push on. Alchemy is fun once you get the hang of it, and I found myself buying books from a traveler just to know more of the world and be better in alchemy. The fight system needs a little getting used to, but works well, alchemy makes yourI'm in 7 hours into this game so far and I'm not into fantasy settings. The story did not really unfold yet, but the quests are interesting enough to push on. Alchemy is fun once you get the hang of it, and I found myself buying books from a traveler just to know more of the world and be better in alchemy. The fight system needs a little getting used to, but works well, alchemy makes your life 100 times easier. I like the multiple types of control schemes also, you can control with one mouse if you like, or go with the kb+mouse over the shoulder camera setup. Expand
  30. Oct 29, 2012
    the game has good voice acting and good music but that's it, the story is dull, the combat is boring, the quests are just uninteresting and the controls are very clunky. by far one of the worst RPG's i have ever played.
  31. Sep 11, 2012
    The Witcher Has A Great Atmosphere.
  32. Jul 22, 2012
    You can have this game on steam for a few buck. It sure is worth a try. The worst point is the combat system. Works fine but mechanic is as simple as **** Just click when the cursor turn gold. Luckily there's alchemy, two different swords (one for human, one for beasts) and three combat style that will make the experience a little better. Main quest rocks and some side quests are worthYou can have this game on steam for a few buck. It sure is worth a try. The worst point is the combat system. Works fine but mechanic is as simple as **** Just click when the cursor turn gold. Luckily there's alchemy, two different swords (one for human, one for beasts) and three combat style that will make the experience a little better. Main quest rocks and some side quests are worth playing. During the game you will have to make choices which will affect the plot. Choices are not a simple good vs bad. Take your choice and pay the consequences!
    For those who have no sexual life there's the chance you will have a shot with some female NPCs during the game. At least something to speak about with your friends!
  33. Jul 14, 2012
    Despite some poor voiceovers, the game delivers in almost every category. The character customization has depth, the story has meaning, and the NPC's you encounter are more than enough to fuel immersion. RPG makers of this day and age could learn a lot from CD Projekt RED.
  34. Jul 4, 2012
    This game was fun, entertaining, and pretty. The game kept wanting more. I will be buying the sequel. The sex cards make me feel like a pre-teen again, giggling at cards with "boobies" on them. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The game-play while repetitive, is a lot of fun. The RPG elements in this game are exactly what you'd want from an RPG.
  35. Jun 15, 2012
    A game well woth playing, to be sure, but far too immature to be the dark roleplaying experience it set out to be. Plus, in an attempt to compensate for the "no matter which course you choose, all is well"-attitude of other games, here you're not rewarded for your actions, but rather punished. Action have consequences, and they're not mainly positive with some negative side-effects (asA game well woth playing, to be sure, but far too immature to be the dark roleplaying experience it set out to be. Plus, in an attempt to compensate for the "no matter which course you choose, all is well"-attitude of other games, here you're not rewarded for your actions, but rather punished. Action have consequences, and they're not mainly positive with some negative side-effects (as might have been the intention), but always dire, and the negative sides by far outweigh the positive sides, which makes this game pretty tiring at times. Expand
  36. May 13, 2012
    This must be one of those games that stereotypical PC gamers love because it's "pretty," as if graphics power can make up for clickfest gameplay, incomprehensible menus and terrible voice acting. I had heard a lot about this game on the Internet, but it isn't even worth the $10 I paid for it on Steam.
  37. Mar 12, 2012
    2nd best polish game. One of the best RPGs ever, one of the best fantasy universes ever. : )
    I recommend this game and The Witcher Saga too! :D
    Dark and deep world with sclavinian style.
  38. Feb 18, 2012
    The Best Story. I love it En mii opinión, mucho mejor que su secuela. Totalmente recomendado. A pesar de sus fallos técnicos, la magia que te hace sentir es úncia y opaca cuaqlquier fallo que quieras encontrarle.
  39. Jan 26, 2012
    Want a complex rpg a (la-Dragon Age) which forces you to make tough decisions and has a really great story line along with a few sex-cards thrown in for fun....well this game is definitely for you.
  40. Jan 5, 2012
    One of the most interesting role-playing games that I played. Non-trivial plot, lot of skills, charismatic characters, non-linear quests, moral choices and perfect soundtrack. Well done, CD Projekt.
  41. Dec 31, 2011
    Excellent game in a deep, complex dark world and the heroes in the middle in all of this. Fantastic graphics, fantastic world, fantastic story this is how must be a modern rpg.
  42. Nov 29, 2011
    I admit I was late getting on the Witcher bandwagon, but what can I say? I finally have a decent PC now. I have been enjoying this game for well over 30+ hours of gameplay now and I am seriously loving it. The combat is fun. The alchemy tasks are well thought out. The storyline is great. And best of all the voice acting is actually pretty good (enhanced edition). I will probably start theI admit I was late getting on the Witcher bandwagon, but what can I say? I finally have a decent PC now. I have been enjoying this game for well over 30+ hours of gameplay now and I am seriously loving it. The combat is fun. The alchemy tasks are well thought out. The storyline is great. And best of all the voice acting is actually pretty good (enhanced edition). I will probably start the game over as soon as I am finished with my first playthrough. I cannot wait to pick up The Witcher 2 very soon. I strongly recommend this game to any PC RPG fan. Expand
  43. Nov 26, 2011
    Great game. A compelling story, dynamic (if a little bit flawed) combat system, and fantastic characters. A must for true RPG fans. Lots of difficult choices that feel like they matter (they might not influence the gameplay too much, yet you see echoes of your decisions throughout the whole game). The game's story and the situations that your character is put in are more lifelike than inGreat game. A compelling story, dynamic (if a little bit flawed) combat system, and fantastic characters. A must for true RPG fans. Lots of difficult choices that feel like they matter (they might not influence the gameplay too much, yet you see echoes of your decisions throughout the whole game). The game's story and the situations that your character is put in are more lifelike than in any other RPG (especially modern one). There is no 'right' or 'wrong' and being cast in the middle of a war between two fractions you have to pick your side (or try very hard to be neutral, which you can never truly be).

I am surprised to see some negative reviews, unfortunately some of them show that the reviewer hasn't really tried to play the game (someone complained about an unresponsive combat system where you have to click and hold a mouse button and hope it will work, which sometimes it did and sometimes didn't - that's not the case, the system works in an entirely different way and going through a tutorial would be enough to find this out)...
  44. Oct 21, 2011
    To me, the whole choice/consequence idea in gaming is vastly overrated and using it as a marketing point leaves me cold. Any really good game does not need such a thing and shoehorning it into a game doesn't make the game better for it either. Would The Witcher have been a worse game without it? I find it difficult to believe so. On the whole I thought The Witcher was an excellent gameTo me, the whole choice/consequence idea in gaming is vastly overrated and using it as a marketing point leaves me cold. Any really good game does not need such a thing and shoehorning it into a game doesn't make the game better for it either. Would The Witcher have been a worse game without it? I find it difficult to believe so. On the whole I thought The Witcher was an excellent game with only some minor faults. A decent combat system, interesting alchemy, reasonable story and some memorable characters, it held my attention almost all the way through. The locations were nicely rendered and diverse, the enemies challenging and some of the characters very compelling. The magical abilities were also worthwhile having if you wanted a break from all the swordplay. The drawbacks were some nonsensical conversations (not deliberate), risible voice acting and the extremely gratuitous sex aspect which probably only served to boost sales amongst males of a certain age. It added nothing to the game whatsoever. In addition to this chapter two seemed to drag on for a long time. Overall a good game, quite unique and well worth anyone's time and money. Expand
  45. Oct 19, 2011
    Truth be told, this wasn't a terrible game. Key word being "wasn't". I had a decently good time (I may have rated it 8/10) playing through it right up until the swamp level. The game was inherently easy up to that point, when it became literally impossible. There was this one vine enemy that was absolutely impossible to beat, and hordes of regular enemies that would not give me even aTruth be told, this wasn't a terrible game. Key word being "wasn't". I had a decently good time (I may have rated it 8/10) playing through it right up until the swamp level. The game was inherently easy up to that point, when it became literally impossible. There was this one vine enemy that was absolutely impossible to beat, and hordes of regular enemies that would not give me even a moment's reprieve. I would've had to fight a few of them, rest and recover, move 10 feet, fight more, rest and recover, etc etc. I can understand games getting difficult, but to get SO difficult SO suddenly is ludicrous. The game became so tedious that I quit, and after trying (and failing) a few more times at later dates, never ended up playing it again. When I looked up tips on how to beat the swamp level, they all said I had to be X level (I was higher), use X potions (I had been), and fire (also had been). Games should be fun, not tedious. Expand
  46. Sep 23, 2011
    I really don't get the love for this game. I caught it on sale at GOG for cheap and finally jumped on it since I had heard great things about it, and even for what I paid, I regret purchasing it. The world and story are the only things that had me somewhat interested, the gameplay itself is incredibly boring and unsatisfying. For all the talk about the fun and innovative combat system, itI really don't get the love for this game. I caught it on sale at GOG for cheap and finally jumped on it since I had heard great things about it, and even for what I paid, I regret purchasing it. The world and story are the only things that had me somewhat interested, the gameplay itself is incredibly boring and unsatisfying. For all the talk about the fun and innovative combat system, it simply boils down to: is there more than one enemy, than use the AoE style, if not, is the enemy fast or armored and slow, then use one of the remaining two combat styles. Once you pick a style, you click on an enemy to start an attack, and there are times during your animations that you have to click to extend the combo. If you fail, you have to wait a tiny bit before you can try and start a new chain. I was hoping maybe the magic skills would make combat interesting, so I held out until I got them all, but they didn't change much. While it gets points from me for having a unique setting, and a somewhat engaging story, the combat is mind numbingly boring and offers no challenge, for something I assumed would require a bit of strategy. I can only imagine how buggy and cumbersome everything was before they patched it up, as inventory management is still annoying, and I got outright crashes and glitches, losing progress and having to redo parts here and there. You can't really alter fights either, you either win, or you lose, potions aren't reactive, they're proactive. I love RPGs, but this one is a pass, there's just no depth to the actual gameplay and I don't hold much hope for 2, as it doesn't look like combat is substantially improved. I did put about 10 hours into it, trying to see if it would turn into anything interesting, but after getting all the spells and sampling more gameplay, I couldn't justify dumping anymore time into it and decided to cut my losses. Expand
  47. Sep 19, 2011
    There are really some flaws in the game (but Enhanced Edition is seriously improved), but they are really minor and don't spoil game play. But I give this game 10 out of 10 because of the terrific story and character's personality development. There are a lot of situations in the game where you have to think about philosophical questions.
  48. Sep 19, 2011
    I give it 3 points for trying, and another 3 for trying kinda nice. The Witcher sucked me for the first part. But after I got to Triss I just lost my interest. I couldn't stand Witcher as detective.
  49. Sep 16, 2011
    It's absolutely awesome, when polish developer took the best hero in polish fantasy and give us one of the most memorable RPG of this generation. This game still need a little bit of technical support, but the role-playing aspects showed every developers how this work should be done. Yes, i'm Pole, and so what?
  50. Sep 7, 2011
    When Mass Effect and The Witcher were in planning they must have shared cheat-sheets because the central formula and release date for both games are startlingly similar. Gritty, kick-ass main character: Check. Huge, engrossing plot with plenty of opportunities for role-playing: Check. A half decent combat system and a sub-par magical system: Check. Oh yeah, and **** **** **** and more ****When Mass Effect and The Witcher were in planning they must have shared cheat-sheets because the central formula and release date for both games are startlingly similar. Gritty, kick-ass main character: Check. Huge, engrossing plot with plenty of opportunities for role-playing: Check. A half decent combat system and a sub-par magical system: Check. Oh yeah, and **** **** **** and more **** CHECK! Bioware, however made the successful marketing strategy of advertising its alien **** while the Witcher was more subtle about it in the promos but when the time came it went all out. This is probably why Mass Effect got better ratings in my opinion because the two are almost equal in every area. But enough about the sex, it doesn't really play that big a part in either game, I just wouldn't give The Witcher to my kids. While Mass Effect is about a 'space marine' trying to save the galaxy, The Witcher is about a guy who no-one likes trying to save/destroy a town that no-one likes and save/kill all the humans/elves or dwarves. As you can see its very non-linear and with quite a lot of options that effect the game, so much so that if you kill someone at the beginning of the game you will feel the effects of it at the end and at several places in-between. I mentioned that the combat was mediocre, however two points really make up for it. One: an excellent potions system which allows you to gain huge advantages based on which enemies you are fighting. And two: it forces you to change your tactics based on the tactics of your enemy. These two factors really make up for the lack of a decent fighting system and keep the combat interesting. The story does take a long time to get moving, and you will spend the first half of the game not really knowing what is going on (and you don't even find out whom the main antagonist is until the very moment you go to fight him) but if you keep at it you will be rewarded. There is really a bit of everything, from the classic hero type questing, to a mystery plot in which you become a detective, to conducting/preventing a bank robbery. If you can get past the initial tedium, you will be rewarded as it has one of the best endings. In conclusion, if you are the kind of person who liked the shooting part of Mass Effect, you probably won't like this game, but if you liked the story aspect you probably will. Expand
  51. Aug 6, 2011
    I was looking forward to this game's storyline, but found it unplayable. OK, that's an exaggeration, but it's not an enjoyable game to play. For frame of reference, I got huge enjoyment out of Dragon Age Origins, the storyline initially, but it's the gameplay that provides the lasting value. It's hard to pinpoint where the Witcher fails by comparison. I'll admit that, when I sit down toI was looking forward to this game's storyline, but found it unplayable. OK, that's an exaggeration, but it's not an enjoyable game to play. For frame of reference, I got huge enjoyment out of Dragon Age Origins, the storyline initially, but it's the gameplay that provides the lasting value. It's hard to pinpoint where the Witcher fails by comparison. I'll admit that, when I sit down to play, I have no tolerance for bugs and idiosyncrasies. This starts with the Load Game screen. The mouse cursor is missing and you have to search the net to find that holding the shift key brings it out of hiding. The screen designs that show your characters stats, selected weapon, maps, progress, inventory etc. are poor. Too colorful and too disorganised, with no sense of where the background graphics end and the useful information begins. The combat, as has been mentioned, is atrocious and simplistic compared to other RPGs. Other things seem, at times, needlessly complicated, taking too many mouse clicks or keystrokes to accomplish.

This is a game with an adult storyline. If you are, like me, an adult who has a job and whose time is worth something, perhaps you'll feel the same way. There are better titles out there and you'll never play them all. Don't waste your time.
  52. Jul 3, 2011
    A very underrated game, mostly because a large amount of people did not really try this game before Witcher 2 came out. While this game doesn't have the amazing visuals of its sequel, it still provides an excellent story and exciting combat. A great title for any RPG fan.
  53. Jun 15, 2011
    Since I passed Witcher I beginning behaves to the videogames as to art. Great nonlinear adventure story in framing of wonderful music of Adam Skorupa.I remember it and till today.
  54. Jun 15, 2011
  55. May 26, 2011
    The game is a good game, i will give CDproject that. Its about Geralt of Rivia, a monster hunter, or witcher as the locals call him. He is the typical grunty voiced, tall and handsome protagonist, but once the storyline starts speeding up his true character shows. They have created a great protagonist with the fact that he is a complete badass, but he also has a lot of character. For theThe game is a good game, i will give CDproject that. Its about Geralt of Rivia, a monster hunter, or witcher as the locals call him. He is the typical grunty voiced, tall and handsome protagonist, but once the storyline starts speeding up his true character shows. They have created a great protagonist with the fact that he is a complete badass, but he also has a lot of character. For the rest of the characters, not as much can be said, for it seems as if the game forces the whole entire 'all the characters have a bad side' thing on literally everyone, which can definitely get annoying eventually, but brings a new light to the black and white choices of say, mass effect. The combat is different from the regular hack and slash, but can get fairly annoying especially early on when the combos you do look exactly the same for each hit. His attacks look and get better over time, but it is still frustrating. Another great part of the game is the alchemy system, something where you collect materials to make potions, bombs, and traps, all of which are REQUIRED, not just fun to use, to win in combat at all past easy difficulty. The setting is varied, you go from swamps to cities to small villages to snowy areas, however within these areas there will always be a stalemate where it gets needlessly boring, making the game hard to complete unless your some kind of game perfectionist. The story is a good one though, one that has far reaching choices that make you feel a part of the world like no other game. The game changes according to your choices, and it makes the whole game feel under your control, almost as if your writing a novel through a game. The graphics are also great and detailed as if an artist made them, although somewhat murky. It would have been more pleasing to the eye if they were a bit more colorful, even if it were to take a bit away from the atmosphere. Another issue i have is the loot system, in which there is almost no loot. Most of the time you will be stuck with the same exact weapons throughout most of the game, and if they perhaps made a better armor system the game would have been much more enjoyable and more lengthy (in a good way). That is actually my main issue, the only loot you pick up is small weapons which aren't feasible to use, or alchemical ingredients. With the sound work, it is great in some areas, amazing in other areas, and downright bad in others. Geralt has great voicework, but some of the smaller character make it seem as if they picked a random man off the street to do the voicework. The soundtrack however makes up for it, for it is a great soundtrack. Well, because of a few detractors, this game shys from being truly great, but it is definitely worth playing, especially if you want to play the witcher 2 which is almost unplayable without having played the first game the whole way through. Expand
  56. May 24, 2011
    The best game I have been played.Why innovating fighting system, beautiful world , amusing music, intelligent story, clever dialogues. Many hours spend in very special world.
  57. May 22, 2011
    This game is awful. Mostly because of the controls. Instead of a control scheme that makes sense the devs have something which is completely counter intuitive where something as simple as spacebar which is used as the jump key for every single game ever created is twisted into a pause game key. The game doesn't tell you anything about how to actually play. The game animations are some ofThis game is awful. Mostly because of the controls. Instead of a control scheme that makes sense the devs have something which is completely counter intuitive where something as simple as spacebar which is used as the jump key for every single game ever created is twisted into a pause game key. The game doesn't tell you anything about how to actually play. The game animations are some of the worst I've ever seen. I have played porn games with better animation than this. Go look up Bonecraft on youtube, those are terrible animations but they're a lot better than the animations in this game! Don't be fooled by all the fanboys of the Witcher fantasy series who give this game a 10 out of fanboy loyalty. This game is unplayably bad. Expand
  58. May 20, 2011
    awsome game great graphics great fighting system and an amazingly good musical score it has black and white morality definatly worth buying you can pick this babay up at gog.com right now for 5 dollars so what are you waiting for go out and get it! you wont regret it
  59. May 19, 2011
    The Witcher is simply one of the best games I have ever played. I was waiting for the game like this for a really long time. It has some cons and not everyone will fell comfortable with it's game play (I like adventure games), but that game put me out from social life for a whole week and it was definitely worth it. 9.0
  60. May 18, 2011
    wow where to start I absolutely loved this game from start to finish,sucked me in and wouldent let me go,awsome graphics memorable story,This is how rpg's for pc should be done.Quiete a long game,I put about 50 hours into it because there are just so many sidequests
  61. Mar 18, 2011
    The best true RPG to arrive on the scene since Baldur's Gate II. Not RPG +Action. Not RPG+Strategy. Not RPG + anything else. Just pure RPG. Yes, I concur that the load times are annoying. But if that's the worst you can say about a game take your marbles and go home. In every other respect The Witcher delivers. How good is this game. Let me explain. I play the World of Warcraft. I playThe best true RPG to arrive on the scene since Baldur's Gate II. Not RPG +Action. Not RPG+Strategy. Not RPG + anything else. Just pure RPG. Yes, I concur that the load times are annoying. But if that's the worst you can say about a game take your marbles and go home. In every other respect The Witcher delivers. How good is this game. Let me explain. I play the World of Warcraft. I play it a lot. You could say I'm addicted to it, if you like. The Witcher is the only game that I stopped playing WoW for. Stopped cold. If the industry would come up with more games like this maybe I would come back to playing single player RPGs entirely. If you don't like this game then it's simply the case the RPG are not your style of game. Expand
  62. Mar 17, 2011
    Excellent RPG and best storytelling since Planescape:T. It has interesting concept of blurring the lines between good and evil, there is no truly "good" or truly "evil" choice. The combat gameplay is its only flaw.
    And this game is the only one that has alchemy system that I actually wanted to use and had a lot of fun doing so.
  63. Mar 13, 2011
    First off: the things I didn't like.

First off: the things I didn't like.

The combat system could be better. It consists of clicking the mouse at the right time for the hero to continue a combo, switching combat styles and weapon, considering what type of enemy you are facing. You do a LOT of pointless running back and forth, as there is no fast travel system, and that get really tedious. The amount of re-spawning enemies are - ridiculous especially low level enemies are all over the place! and it can get rather boring hacking through hordes of monsters all over the place. The dialogue scenes are just.....weired. they are poorly executed, the voice acting is dull, the characters has no animated facial expressions, and the way they express them selves with their bodies are strange to put it mildly. Personally I'm a big fan of open world games like oblivion and fallout, and this games i very restricted in the freedom of your movement and in the story. It is extremely buggy! throughout my first play-through I hardly used the quit game button, as the game crashed all the time. BUT all this considered i still really liked this game a lot.

The visuals were good, maybe not technically, as the game is a few years old now, but the atmosphere created through the music, sounds and the visuals I thought were excellent. The whole tone of this games was done really well including the flawed personality of all the characters, the underlying conflicts and difficulties i the world the is set in (The plague, the war between races etc) made this a very interesting setting for the game. The story is good, and deep with a lot of twists and turns, minor subplots that are all connected with each other, creating a long a very deep and strong story for the game.

The choices you have to make are.....heavy to put it mildly. all from what side to choose in a threatening civil war, to whom you save or don't to which friends to rely on or whom you alienate. That choices are many and have often unforeseen consequences, making the story even stronger, and give you a good platform for several play-throughs, playing a game with a slightly altered story every time.

So all in all this i a very good RPG game, with som issues and flaws, most of whom is technical. I'm really looking forward to the next game, where, if they can create a just as strong story and setting, and removes the bugs and flaws of the first game will make a really strong game that will be a favourite with most gamers, fans of the RPG genre or not.
  64. MarkO.
    Jan 29, 2010
    One of the most captivating rpgs that I have ever played. Something that I truly appreciate about the game is that it is often difficult to predict future events. This game is not focused entirely on loot, skills (although there's a wide variety), and other distracting (though important, I know) features. The game is all about the story. The developers intentionally put less loot One of the most captivating rpgs that I have ever played. Something that I truly appreciate about the game is that it is often difficult to predict future events. This game is not focused entirely on loot, skills (although there's a wide variety), and other distracting (though important, I know) features. The game is all about the story. The developers intentionally put less loot into the game so that the player would not be distracted by superficial materials. The main character, Gerault, instead, grapples with challenging decisions during the course of the game. In most games today, it is a matter of good vs. evil (take Oblivion, Mass Effect, or Dragon Age for example), in which good usually prevails in a concrete, simple fashion. But, here we have a game where the line between good and evil is difficult to draw and define. You really need to analyze the plot to get a sense of Gerault's purpose in the game and whether his actions are good or bad. You might think that the main character is this nice guy that sets out to destory some evil nemesis (sadly the plotline of most games today), but you're really dealing with a much more complicated plot (which makes it interesting of course). Gerault commits wrongdoings like gambling, drinking, adultery, and etc. which shows how he is flawed despite his heroic deeds (he is indeed a tragic figure). I also found the ending very profound and philosophical. Unlike most video games, you'll actually find some insights into the human character. You'll question whether it is right to interfere with nature, and ask whether it's right to live in an ideal world. The quality of the artistry, dialogue, music, and gameplay is also very good. Overall, good game. At least give it a try. It will stick with you, I promise. Expand
  65. salllyr
    Dec 3, 2009
    Best most well thought out rpg in a long time. Apart from the samey npc's, everything is great. The music, the look of the game but most importantly quests you care about. Not fetch and carry ones but fun who dunnits etc that make you think about the story in order to solve it. Love it. H8 the crashing in vista even with fix.
  66. BobT
    Jul 7, 2009
    Firstly I will say that the graphics in this game are good. Obviously the developers put a lot of time and passion into making this game. That being said, the graphics are the only good thing I saw in the short time I could stomach playing The Witcher Enhanced Edition for. The beginning story line was so dull that I had to force myself to continue on past the tutorial. The voice acting is Firstly I will say that the graphics in this game are good. Obviously the developers put a lot of time and passion into making this game. That being said, the graphics are the only good thing I saw in the short time I could stomach playing The Witcher Enhanced Edition for. The beginning story line was so dull that I had to force myself to continue on past the tutorial. The voice acting is completely unconvincing and the characters speak like robots (e.g. "I will find you later" as opposed to "Farewell"). The animations are horrid. The combat system is the worst implementation of a combat system I have ever seen. It's somewhere in between Oblivion and Fable/Jade Empire where you can freely move around in combat and you don't lock on a target until you click them and start doing some attack combo. You then can continue the combo by clicking at the right time. Exciting. Exciting just like the starting enemies: bandits and dogs. Dogs that are green and appear from nowhere. Expand
  67. PaulF
    May 30, 2009
    I thing this game is so good. I've played it many times and I know that is not last one of CDProjekt's good games!
  68. MattB
    Dec 11, 2008
    Despite crashing every hour on the hour, the Witcher was such a good game I still recommend it all of those who love epic PC games. Very good "gray" area characters made this not your normal save the world RPG.
  69. JessicaC
    Nov 18, 2008
    The Witcher is the best game I've played in years. True to what it's touting. Download it from Steam. Now.
  70. anonymous
    Oct 19, 2008
    One of the best games i've played in a while. The choices throughout the game and the ending they lead up to is amazing.
  71. StevieP
    Oct 14, 2008
    This is a rare game: gripping story where your actions have an actual result, brilliant characters, etc. Amazing!
  72. JackM
    Sep 21, 2008
    Great and innovative RPG game, extended edition patch makes it what it was supposed to be, which is nothing short of extraordinary.
  73. ChristianR.
    Sep 17, 2008
    Firstly let me just say that I actually disliked this game when I first played it, I had the slowest computer on the planet (well not exactly...XP) and stopped playing it because of the 10 minute load times. After a month, i realized i could fix the graphic settings... and when i did, the game played brilliantly! I i was glued to the screen for 5 hours just on the first chapter and Firstly let me just say that I actually disliked this game when I first played it, I had the slowest computer on the planet (well not exactly...XP) and stopped playing it because of the 10 minute load times. After a month, i realized i could fix the graphic settings... and when i did, the game played brilliantly! I i was glued to the screen for 5 hours just on the first chapter and i've never had so much fun in a game before. Oblivion doesn't even compare in terms of RPG material. Geralt is probably one of the most amazing characters in any game. Period. Too point out the flaws...maybe the load times and the slight language problems. However, if you can look past all this... then this is the best RPG on the market, Graphically & Entertainingly. Expand
  74. PeterM.
    Sep 7, 2008
    Awesome storyline, beautiful graphics and alluring music mixed together to create an outstanding cRPG game. Something that can only be compared with Wizardry 8th and Baldurs Gate 2.
  75. Josh
    Jul 15, 2008
    Combat: Takes a step back, autotarget fighting isn't fun or challenging, why do people like to have less control over their characters? Clicking at the right time isn't even hard and it still doesnt change teh mechanics of I don't control how I attack etc. Graphics: Are good for an RPG, but Oblivion is older and still has better graphics, so I can't say I find them Combat: Takes a step back, autotarget fighting isn't fun or challenging, why do people like to have less control over their characters? Clicking at the right time isn't even hard and it still doesnt change teh mechanics of I don't control how I attack etc. Graphics: Are good for an RPG, but Oblivion is older and still has better graphics, so I can't say I find them great, the environments arent very interesting to look at either. Linearity: Your following a chapter by chapter sequence, but you can choose to do whatever during the chapter which is okay, but the main quest is just what your going to do anyway with a couple side quests, and the world is NOT open, actually I found each level pretty small. Progression: It's okay, their aren't that many spells, u can just get additional effects to spells, other than that its alrite. Storyline: When I first heard the general idea for teh witcher it sounded cool, some guy taking down monsters etc. But when you get the world revealed to you, you realize it's a completely fantasy world so its not like its any different from any fantasy game, the monsters are just monsters like any other rpg, and there's elves and dwarves. Just a standard rpg setting with a more minor key tone. Also as for environments etc, its just terrible imo, nothing changes, your in the same setting type throughout the game for the most part, a village, a city, a different quarter of that city, a forest... The general storyline is kinda stupid, Some guy steals some mutagens so you track him down, you see him several times wherever you go, at one point you could have had him like seriously, you wlak outside to see him and several thugs you hide behind the door until he leaves and u still face the thugs anyway.. like wtf... I don't blame the critics at all, I enjoyed mass effect much more, Mass effect watered down? a laugh considering as much as mass effect lacks in progression content, it has more spells, more attributes, and actually a choice of classes, the storyline is also so much better, like not even worth an argument, there's also a lot different environments.. the witcher is maybe worth a play through for an rpg fan that's about it. Expand
  76. AprilB
    Jul 3, 2008
    This game has a lot of love put into it, but the fact remains that this game was basically released unfinished. The enhanced version will be out later and should offer what the original didn't.
  77. Rob
    Jun 3, 2008
    I've not enjoyed a classical rpg this much since 'Dungeon Master'. Quirky, a little rough around the edges, but an essential play for anybody who is a fan of rpgs. Shame on you PC gamer reviewer, maybe you go back to playing peggle?
  78. JessicaA.
    May 27, 2008
    OMG Geralt's so HOT! Too bad it's only for boys. Great...I feel left out!!! My brother loves this game so a 10 it is.
  79. ColinR
    Apr 21, 2008
    Absolutely Brilliant! One of the best games I've ever played. Gripping story, line refreshing combat and character development.
  80. ShaunH.
    Apr 20, 2008
    I can't understand why this game got such low critic reviews? I am a RPG veteran and I found this game fresh and interesting. The 'infamous' load times were unnoticable on my 2GB RAM comp. The combat was innovative and the coup de graces were great to watch. The dialogue and voice acting is some what uninspired at times, but it is not bad enough to tarnish the great I can't understand why this game got such low critic reviews? I am a RPG veteran and I found this game fresh and interesting. The 'infamous' load times were unnoticable on my 2GB RAM comp. The combat was innovative and the coup de graces were great to watch. The dialogue and voice acting is some what uninspired at times, but it is not bad enough to tarnish the great gameplay and engulfing story. Expand
  81. AliT.
    Apr 11, 2008
    With Betrayal At Krondor and Planescape : Torment, one of the best computer based RPG ever. 2 Thumbs up.
  82. IvanT.
    Apr 10, 2008
    This is one of the best video game surprises in the last several years. Despite some technical and translation problems (which are partialy solved by patch 1.2, and will be completely solved with Enhanced patch), the Witcher is one fantastic role-playing experience, and shouldn't be missed even if you are not a fan of the genre.
  83. JesusofNazareth
    Mar 24, 2008
    Best plot ever, Geralt is at least an interesting character.
  84. MichaelJ.
    Mar 17, 2008
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played. It is an original, great game.
  85. JimM.
    Mar 12, 2008
    Just what the doctor ordered for us hard line RPG fans, who don't want to play on line.
  86. HestonH.
    Mar 8, 2008
    Well it's not Baldur's Gate. I enjoyed the game and there were a lot of original things about it. I liked the fighting styles and the alchemy element was really good. However the story and voice-acting were uninspired. The writing in particular was really bland in parts and certain conversations with NPC's were completely illogical. The lack of variety concerning weapons Well it's not Baldur's Gate. I enjoyed the game and there were a lot of original things about it. I liked the fighting styles and the alchemy element was really good. However the story and voice-acting were uninspired. The writing in particular was really bland in parts and certain conversations with NPC's were completely illogical. The lack of variety concerning weapons and armor was also a glaring fault. The game was of a decent length, however I never really felt completely immersed in the game world. Expand
  87. DzsordzsK.
    Feb 29, 2008
    As a non-fan of the RPG genre, I took a chance and got this game on the recommendations of others. Unlike some past disappointments the Witcher delivers in spades. Workable, some times spectacular graphics, great gameplay, and an excellent story combine to make a wonderful engrossing game that could probably not have been realized on any other platform but the PC. Congratulations to CD As a non-fan of the RPG genre, I took a chance and got this game on the recommendations of others. Unlike some past disappointments the Witcher delivers in spades. Workable, some times spectacular graphics, great gameplay, and an excellent story combine to make a wonderful engrossing game that could probably not have been realized on any other platform but the PC. Congratulations to CD Projeckt but BOO to Atari for the horrible localization. Expand
  88. MarkWilliams
    Feb 29, 2008
    Pros:
    Absolutely Epic feel to this game, amazing story.
    Insane twists and turns, not black and white gameplay. Fun weapon combo/style system. Play this game. Definitely. Cons: Load times are the suck, but every game has them. Spells aren't all that needed, they can be fun to mess around with, but I'm usually the caster class, so that was a bit disappointing.
    Pros:
    Absolutely Epic feel to this game, amazing story.
    Insane twists and turns, not black and white gameplay.
    Fun weapon combo/style system.
    Play this game. Definitely.

Cons:
    Load times are the suck, but every game has them.
    Boundries can get frustrating. You tend to get roped off from places and have to go around, alot.
    Don't let these cons stop you from playing, the good points far outweigh the bad. It's amazing.
  89. AZawada
    Feb 25, 2008
    Very good and captivating game, a few bugs and slightly long loading times slightly annoying but other than that you can get entirely engrossed in the world that the 'Witcher' lives in
  90. AndyS.
    Feb 20, 2008
    A great game. The graphics when on high are clean and quite pleasing, though the old neverwinter nights 2 engine is starting to show its age. The audio is generally very good, the music especially deserves a mention, though i must admit as stated by other users that there are a few cringe worthy cases of bad voice acting/translation. The gameplay has a few flaws with the controls A great game. The graphics when on high are clean and quite pleasing, though the old neverwinter nights 2 engine is starting to show its age. The audio is generally very good, the music especially deserves a mention, though i must admit as stated by other users that there are a few cringe worthy cases of bad voice acting/translation. The gameplay has a few flaws with the controls occasionally being slightly jerky and lootable items sometimes refusing to show up until the character moves. Despite this however the story is excellent and more than makes up for the games flaws, if youre an rpg fan I'd say this is a must buy. Expand
  91. AlexM.
    Feb 20, 2008
    So buggy it is virtually unplayable and with one of the least inspiring storylines and gameplay ever seen.. games like this are wrecking RPGS.. as Elias O. said "It's nothing when compared to the classic RPG's, Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape, & Icewind Dale."
  92. RobertW.
    Feb 15, 2008
    Everything that can be said about this game surely has been by now so i'll simply reaffirm most of it. The patch version 1.2 solves the long loading and saving time (from 60 seconds prior to the patch to 20 tops). Graphically stunning with fluid animation and nice use of dynamic lighting/weather. Once hearing the voice acting you will never be able to play a game again which employs Everything that can be said about this game surely has been by now so i'll simply reaffirm most of it. The patch version 1.2 solves the long loading and saving time (from 60 seconds prior to the patch to 20 tops). Graphically stunning with fluid animation and nice use of dynamic lighting/weather. Once hearing the voice acting you will never be able to play a game again which employs a 'silent protagonist' plot device. The music is ambient and inspiring. Gameplay is regular for a RPG, with the exception of the combat system; which makes a welcome change. Storyline wise this has been the best RPG of 2007 in my opinion (and that of many prestigious awards such as IGN, Gamespy etc). The ONLY negative about this game is when run in vista there are memory leak issues, which will cause the game to crash - rectified very simply by visiting the forum and half a minutes work. Buy the game and enjoy ;) Expand
  93. MarkR.
    Feb 11, 2008
    I don't know if you can really say this is the best RPG ever...it's just fun and tries to be different. The developers did what they could to make it so the fighting styles weren't just endless clicking. The different fighting styles keep you on your toes as well. The sex is unnecessary, but it will be in all good games, and is thrown in there for fun. The game moves along I don't know if you can really say this is the best RPG ever...it's just fun and tries to be different. The developers did what they could to make it so the fighting styles weren't just endless clicking. The different fighting styles keep you on your toes as well. The sex is unnecessary, but it will be in all good games, and is thrown in there for fun. The game moves along at a good pace and many quests are not of the "go fetch this for me" variety. The load times were fixed in the patch. I have 2 GB of ram and going into a small place takes about 5 sec., and into larger places maybe 10 sec or so which includes an autosave. If you like RPG's, you will have a good time playing this game. Expand
  94. LouisK.
    Feb 9, 2008
    I Have to say that I'm loving this game. The graphics are great if you excuse the over used NPC models. The story is engaging and the gameplay is refreshing for an RPG. I love the potion mixing system which a lot of reviews didn't like and I love the experience system as you don't have to wait ages to make advances, you can spend experience coins as you go, but the higher I Have to say that I'm loving this game. The graphics are great if you excuse the over used NPC models. The story is engaging and the gameplay is refreshing for an RPG. I love the potion mixing system which a lot of reviews didn't like and I love the experience system as you don't have to wait ages to make advances, you can spend experience coins as you go, but the higher levels still take work to achieve. the fact that you cant create a character isnt a bad thing as it allows the makers to tell a story about your character without worrying about loads of character versions, besides i like the main character :) a lot of the negatives I have read seemed to have been addressed with the 1.2 patch so make sure you get it. I don't have a hyper pc by far and I have not had the same huge load time problems people have described. About th e same load times as oblivion had at any rate so I can only assume that the patch addressed this issue. Try this game before you buy as its a little like Marmite you either love it or hate it. Expand
  95. OmbarKryshnak
    Feb 8, 2008
    Just don't waste your time. The Witcher has very little to offer aside from a Konami-style "click-the-enemy-at-the-right-time-to-get-your-combo" combat system and the possibility of having sex with just about any non-linear woman NPC you meet to get rewarded by her sex card, which is basically as sexy as a bra magazine. Graphics are ok but in the end it's just so disapointing...
  96. DanyT.
    Feb 4, 2008
    The best of this genre, I love every thing about it exept the random crash to desktop, but the game is so good that I don't mind that much as you can save anytime anywhere.
  97. DagE.
    Feb 2, 2008
    Great game. Storyline is great with no typical good or evil plot. Some boring parts because you had to run a lot between npc to complete quests.
  98. RyanS.
    Feb 1, 2008
    Great game considering the low budget heavily modified engine. This game delivers where all others fail, a intriguing and fun storyline that keeps you on the edge of your chair. It needs technical polishing for low end computers, but anyone who has kept up to date and downloaded the latest patch will have less then 30 second load times in every area and minimal crashes.
  99. MichaelR.
    Feb 1, 2008
    One of the best roleplaying games that I have ever played.
  100. JarrodL.
    Jan 30, 2008
    This is absolutely the greatest RPG I've ever played honestly i think it has a great story and game play thats actually enjoyable! Go out and buy it now definitively worth every penny you will get every dollar out of it trust me I've played it through three times without ever getting bored.

1. So if you’re looking for a dark and moody role-playing game that is different than everything else out there, and if you have a reasonably powerful computer that can handle the engine, and if you don’t mind adult themes that are more than a little male-centric, then the Witcher is certainly a game to consider.
  2. Trading more traditional, menu-drilling RPG “depth” for sheer style, action, mechanical elegance and what might be called a refreshingly grim mood, The Witcher is one of the most compelling - if not the cheeriest - fantasy excursions to come along in many a moon.
  3. The Witcher is a fantastic RPG, a perfect recreation of the world imagined by Sapkowski. Being focused in a complex story as it is, the many hours of play will make us completely disregard the absence of multiplayer of any kind.