8.8

1. Apr 3, 2017
    I have played this game extensively for five years but I was inspired to write a review based on some odd negative opinions about this first game. As someone who couldn't get into this game the first 3-4 times I tried to play it, I think I can offer some words of motivation.

One of the most off-putting features of this game are the combat mechanics. They take some getting used to, and you may have to force yourself, but eventually you get the hang of it and learn that this game is not about the combat so much as it is the story and character interactions. The combat in this game is definitely secondary, which can be a strange feeling for most gamers.

The graphics can look dated now, but the Enhanced Edition with some texture mods will quickly get this game up to speed. The biggest issue is Geralt, as no amount of mods will fix his odd gelfling appearance. However it does a lot for other character models and the environs. The views from the Dike across the water are positively stunning at times and some areas like Lakeside are very quaint.

The biggest flaw in this game (adjusted for inflation) are the side quests. I really think this game overdid it on the side quests--mostly meaningless fetch quests and inconsequential tedium--and CPR certainly acknowledged this as they wound back the quantity of them in the next game.

The game doesn't really have a devoted crafting system. It's present, but it's fairly useless even on high difficulties. You can get by with sharpening tools that you can apply to your swords on your own.

The weirdest thing about this game is the fact that the first boss you encounter is BY FAR the most difficult. The Beast for some reason was a force to be reckoned with on my first playthrough. Yet the bosses become more and more of a joke as the game progresses. I have mixed feelings about the ending. On one hand, I felt the ending did wonders for the story. Everything was wrapped up quite well. On the other hand all that tension was pissed all over by a very weak end encounter that didn't require me to be geared, skilled, or prepared. Protip: don't spec uber-Igni if you want ANY feeling of difficulty in this game. Igni is hax.
  2. Dec 30, 2016
    Un gran juego con elecciones interesantes y una historia interesante. El sistema de combate es extraño, pero no malo, simplemente es algo que nunca había visto en ningun otro juego.
    Me gusta bastante el sistema de leveleo, es complejo y tiene muchas cosas por elegir. Lo que no me gusta y la razón por la cual le bajo un punto, es el hecho de que sea tan conflictivo a la hora de saber que hacer. Hay misiones que las activas y no te dicen hacia donde ir ni que hacer, por lo que o lo adivinas, o te ves obligado a mirar en internet alguna guía.
    Mas allá de eso, exelente juego.
  3. Mar 18, 2011
    The best true RPG to arrive on the scene since Baldur's Gate II. Not RPG +Action. Not RPG+Strategy. Not RPG + anything else. Just pure RPG. Yes, I concur that the load times are annoying. But if that's the worst you can say about a game take your marbles and go home. In every other respect The Witcher delivers. How good is this game. Let me explain. I play the World of Warcraft. I playThe best true RPG to arrive on the scene since Baldur's Gate II. Not RPG +Action. Not RPG+Strategy. Not RPG + anything else. Just pure RPG. Yes, I concur that the load times are annoying. But if that's the worst you can say about a game take your marbles and go home. In every other respect The Witcher delivers. How good is this game. Let me explain. I play the World of Warcraft. I play it a lot. You could say I'm addicted to it, if you like. The Witcher is the only game that I stopped playing WoW for. Stopped cold. If the industry would come up with more games like this maybe I would come back to playing single player RPGs entirely. If you don't like this game then it's simply the case the RPG are not your style of game. Expand
  4. Oct 21, 2011
    To me, the whole choice/consequence idea in gaming is vastly overrated and using it as a marketing point leaves me cold. Any really good game does not need such a thing and shoehorning it into a game doesn't make the game better for it either. Would The Witcher have been a worse game without it? I find it difficult to believe so. On the whole I thought The Witcher was an excellent gameTo me, the whole choice/consequence idea in gaming is vastly overrated and using it as a marketing point leaves me cold. Any really good game does not need such a thing and shoehorning it into a game doesn't make the game better for it either. Would The Witcher have been a worse game without it? I find it difficult to believe so. On the whole I thought The Witcher was an excellent game with only some minor faults. A decent combat system, interesting alchemy, reasonable story and some memorable characters, it held my attention almost all the way through. The locations were nicely rendered and diverse, the enemies challenging and some of the characters very compelling. The magical abilities were also worthwhile having if you wanted a break from all the swordplay. The drawbacks were some nonsensical conversations (not deliberate), risible voice acting and the extremely gratuitous sex aspect which probably only served to boost sales amongst males of a certain age. It added nothing to the game whatsoever. In addition to this chapter two seemed to drag on for a long time. Overall a good game, quite unique and well worth anyone's time and money. Expand
  5. Apr 21, 2013
    When I hear the word ARPG I tend to cringe and move on. They tend to be light on story due to the increased attention to combat and the free aim combat as seen in the Elder Scrolls series just drive me nuts. Fortunately, The Witcher doesn't suffer from either of these problems. The story was interesting, something I rarely say about newer RPGs anymore and the combat isn't free aim. It doesWhen I hear the word ARPG I tend to cringe and move on. They tend to be light on story due to the increased attention to combat and the free aim combat as seen in the Elder Scrolls series just drive me nuts. Fortunately, The Witcher doesn't suffer from either of these problems. The story was interesting, something I rarely say about newer RPGs anymore and the combat isn't free aim. It does require far more clicking than any of the old infinity engine RPGs due to the combo system, which can ware on your nerves at time, but overall it works well and can be interesting to watch (for a few minutes) after you unlock new combo moves. Not as grindy and combat heavy as other ARPGs. Hitting most of the side quests I spent about 30 hours to beat it. Well worth the massively discounted price you can find it at. Expand
  6. Jun 27, 2015
    - Good: Atmosphere, Setting, Story, Characters, C&C, Music, Alchemy, Writing, Ending, Art Direction
    - Mixed: Combat, Exploration
    - Bad: ---

Fantastic game, one of the most atmospheric RPG to date with great soundrack, story and artistic style. Choice and consequence done right.
  7. Sep 16, 2011
    It's absolutely awesome, when polish developer took the best hero in polish fantasy and give us one of the most memorable RPG of this generation. This game still need a little bit of technical support, but the role-playing aspects showed every developers how this work should be done. Yes, i'm Pole, and so what?
  8. Feb 24, 2014
    The Witcher is one of the best RPGs I ever played. I liked the combat system, the character development, the graphics, the theme and all that. Above all, the story telling and the atmosphere. It is very rare to find so much immersion and depth in a game and this one has plenty of it. The music is beautifull too. The only downside I can think of is the technical side of it. Saving the gamesThe Witcher is one of the best RPGs I ever played. I liked the combat system, the character development, the graphics, the theme and all that. Above all, the story telling and the atmosphere. It is very rare to find so much immersion and depth in a game and this one has plenty of it. The music is beautifull too. The only downside I can think of is the technical side of it. Saving the games did not work very well as far as I remember and there were some other similar minor problems too. Somehow, The Witcher games do not seem to handle the technical side so well. Apart from that, this game is a genius. Expand
  9. Jun 10, 2017
    Great game. i have spent a lot of time on this title. It has a great story with memorable characters. Good gameplay with lots of possibilities during missions and best cut scenes with good dialogs.
  10. May 18, 2011
    wow where to start I absolutely loved this game from start to finish,sucked me in and wouldent let me go,awsome graphics memorable story,This is how rpg's for pc should be done.Quiete a long game,I put about 50 hours into it because there are just so many sidequests
  11. Sep 7, 2011
    When Mass Effect and The Witcher were in planning they must have shared cheat-sheets because the central formula and release date for both games are startlingly similar. Gritty, kick-ass main character: Check. Huge, engrossing plot with plenty of opportunities for role-playing: Check. A half decent combat system and a sub-par magical system: Check. Oh yeah, and **** **** **** and more ****When Mass Effect and The Witcher were in planning they must have shared cheat-sheets because the central formula and release date for both games are startlingly similar. Gritty, kick-ass main character: Check. Huge, engrossing plot with plenty of opportunities for role-playing: Check. A half decent combat system and a sub-par magical system: Check. Oh yeah, and **** **** **** and more **** CHECK! Bioware, however made the successful marketing strategy of advertising its alien **** while the Witcher was more subtle about it in the promos but when the time came it went all out. This is probably why Mass Effect got better ratings in my opinion because the two are almost equal in every area. But enough about the sex, it doesn't really play that big a part in either game, I just wouldn't give The Witcher to my kids. While Mass Effect is about a 'space marine' trying to save the galaxy, The Witcher is about a guy who no-one likes trying to save/destroy a town that no-one likes and save/kill all the humans/elves or dwarves. As you can see its very non-linear and with quite a lot of options that effect the game, so much so that if you kill someone at the beginning of the game you will feel the effects of it at the end and at several places in-between. I mentioned that the combat was mediocre, however two points really make up for it. One: an excellent potions system which allows you to gain huge advantages based on which enemies you are fighting. And two: it forces you to change your tactics based on the tactics of your enemy. These two factors really make up for the lack of a decent fighting system and keep the combat interesting. The story does take a long time to get moving, and you will spend the first half of the game not really knowing what is going on (and you don't even find out whom the main antagonist is until the very moment you go to fight him) but if you keep at it you will be rewarded. There is really a bit of everything, from the classic hero type questing, to a mystery plot in which you become a detective, to conducting/preventing a bank robbery. If you can get past the initial tedium, you will be rewarded as it has one of the best endings. In conclusion, if you are the kind of person who liked the shooting part of Mass Effect, you probably won't like this game, but if you liked the story aspect you probably will. Expand
  12. Jan 21, 2016
    The Witcher is a masterpiece RPG, that stands out for its beautiful storytelling and characters, and its variety in missions.Even though this is the one that i least like in the trilogy, i still feel that caring that most people have for their favorite sagas or trilogy's first sons, so yes, i do think that this is probably one of the best RPGs ever made. Thanks CD Project Red, for thisThe Witcher is a masterpiece RPG, that stands out for its beautiful storytelling and characters, and its variety in missions.Even though this is the one that i least like in the trilogy, i still feel that caring that most people have for their favorite sagas or trilogy's first sons, so yes, i do think that this is probably one of the best RPGs ever made. Thanks CD Project Red, for this amazing games that you have blessed us with. Its only problem must be it's difficulty, i know that games are more fun when you need to die a lot to play it. But this game is just to much OP, i like difficult, but not this much. Expand
  13. Dec 31, 2011
    Excellent game in a deep, complex dark world and the heroes in the middle in all of this. Fantastic graphics, fantastic world, fantastic story this is how must be a modern rpg.
  14. Dec 5, 2015
    I am a fan of the Witcher series since I've read the books back in 2005 or so (and this fact really helped enjoy the game better) however even if you haven't read the books - this is a very good RPG in itself.

The pros: + Good quality graphics, not a big deal for me gotta get that out of the way. + Wonderful soundtrack. Really immersive. + A nice "dark fantasy" world. Where elves get

The pros:
    + Good quality graphics, not a big deal for me gotta get that out of the way.
    + Wonderful soundtrack. Really immersive.
    + A nice "dark fantasy" world. Where elves get racially discriminated, town guards take drugs as bribes, and use said drugs... Witches are trying to survive the ignorant mod that fears and hates them.
    + No "good vs. evil" - just a lot of people (and other creatures) with their conflicting goals, feels and wants.
    + With the above said - often you can decide who to help and how to judge those around you.
    + A lot of character development. You start as a guy who can barely deal with a couple rabid dogs, and end up taking out dragons (well, not quite 40-meter-long High Dragons like those found in Dragon Age, but 6-meter-long Wyverns) - multiple at a time, and beating much more dangerous creatures, as well as armed human enemies (mages, angry Templars, etc).
    + Not a lot of grinding for better gear. In fact you start out with quite decent gear: a Witcher's Steel and Silver sword, and not until quite late in the game can you find a weapon that's better.
    + There are ways to get very VERY powerful, if you figure out how to. It's no cheating or bug, just strategies that you HAVE TO learn if you wanna play on HARD. And there are multiple ones.
    + There are rune stones to use as a permanent upgrade to a sword, and it's nice that the better gear is rare and interesting to find, craft and upgrade (rather than something you can buy from the town merchant - just collect 100'000 gold, like in many RPGs)
    + Unique items are obtained through truly unique experiences, that would make you value them to a point that I chose to keep that item throughout Witcher-II game (using the import save feature)
    + No **** quests like "go hunt 10 squirrels and bring me the furs". Most quests are backed with a story that something really bad happened, and only a Witcher can help the person in need.
    + The quests match the protagonist, and feel on-the-spot. So unlike Commander Shepard saving the galaxy, and then being told to deal with some scumbags that stole something from a merchant, or the Inquisitor in Dragon Age looking for a lost cow.
    + Interesting characters. Many from the book. Yes you can make relationships with them, and even cheat on them if you wish to :-)
    + Overall, there are a lot of strategic and tactical things you are encouraged to learn, and a few things to upgrade (weapon and armor), but in a thoughtful way, (rather than the grind-to-get-top-level-gear way) the game is really hard to play on HARD unless you understand how to play it right.

Cons:
    - You can't jump over a knee-high fence. WTF. But sometimes you can jump over the head of an enemy - this happens somewhat unexpectedly
    - The combat is a bit scripted... Not very manual control (no jump, no sprint, no duck or block), kind of an RTS-like feel to it. The "click at right time to strike a combo" is not bad, but gets old a bit too quickly. Maybe a love-it-or-hate-it thing.
    - The game world is a few isolated locations. They aren't very big either. Granted, they are nicely detailed, but will probably feel tiny to players coming from TES.
  15. Nov 29, 2011
    I admit I was late getting on the Witcher bandwagon, but what can I say? I finally have a decent PC now. I have been enjoying this game for well over 30+ hours of gameplay now and I am seriously loving it. The combat is fun. The alchemy tasks are well thought out. The storyline is great. And best of all the voice acting is actually pretty good (enhanced edition). I will probably start theI admit I was late getting on the Witcher bandwagon, but what can I say? I finally have a decent PC now. I have been enjoying this game for well over 30+ hours of gameplay now and I am seriously loving it. The combat is fun. The alchemy tasks are well thought out. The storyline is great. And best of all the voice acting is actually pretty good (enhanced edition). I will probably start the game over as soon as I am finished with my first playthrough. I cannot wait to pick up The Witcher 2 very soon. I strongly recommend this game to any PC RPG fan. Expand
  16. Jul 3, 2011
    A very underrated game, mostly because a large amount of people did not really try this game before Witcher 2 came out. While this game doesn't have the amazing visuals of its sequel, it still provides an excellent story and exciting combat. A great title for any RPG fan.
  17. Nov 11, 2014
    Complex rpg with an amazing storyline. The grapics are decent for 2007, the animations not that good, Music is beautiful. Combat depends on you if you like it or not. At least it differs from all other games I have ever play. Chararcters are memorable and interesting. Considering that was the first game of CD Project RED, they did a amazing job with it.
  18. Mar 7, 2014
    The Witcher is a game that feels dated by today's standard but strangely one game that despite its flaws, never fails to have me glued to it two to three hours a time, for me, thats a very long time to be playing games! The clicking style combat is boring for me and serves no purpose but its really the story that keeps me glued to the game for hours a time. The whole world is so alive withThe Witcher is a game that feels dated by today's standard but strangely one game that despite its flaws, never fails to have me glued to it two to three hours a time, for me, thats a very long time to be playing games! The clicking style combat is boring for me and serves no purpose but its really the story that keeps me glued to the game for hours a time. The whole world is so alive with everything and everyone living their own lives with or without you. There's so many ways to handle everything that you can really get creative... want to buy a kickass piece of gear? You can either gamble for it, fight for it, trade stuffs for it... etc... its just how much you want it. This is truly an amazing piece of RPG which doesn't really deliver on the action side but its RPG elements are what I have never seen before... much better than Baldur's Gate. If you want good action and awesome enemy design, this is not the game for you... every other action games out there ace this game in terms of these two areas but if you want a DEEP, and I mean DEEEEEP, RPG... this is for you! Expand
  19. Nov 26, 2011
    Great game. A compelling story, dynamic (if a little bit flawed) combat system, and fantastic characters. A must for true RPG fans. Lots of difficult choices that feel like they matter (they might not influence the gameplay too much, yet you see echoes of your decisions throughout the whole game). The game's story and the situations that your character is put in are more lifelike than inGreat game. A compelling story, dynamic (if a little bit flawed) combat system, and fantastic characters. A must for true RPG fans. Lots of difficult choices that feel like they matter (they might not influence the gameplay too much, yet you see echoes of your decisions throughout the whole game). The game's story and the situations that your character is put in are more lifelike than in any other RPG (especially modern one). There is no 'right' or 'wrong' and being cast in the middle of a war between two fractions you have to pick your side (or try very hard to be neutral, which you can never truly be).

I am surprised to see some negative reviews, unfortunately some of them show that the reviewer hasn't really tried to play the game (someone complained about an unresponsive combat system where you have to click and hold a mouse button and hope it will work, which sometimes it did and sometimes didn't - that's not the case, the system works in an entirely different way and going through a tutorial would be enough to find this out)...
  20. Sep 11, 2012
    The Witcher Has A Great Atmosphere.
  21. Feb 14, 2015
    BEST GAME EVER!
    ...............................................................................................................................
  22. May 20, 2011
    awsome game great graphics great fighting system and an amazingly good musical score it has black and white morality definatly worth buying you can pick this babay up at gog.com right now for 5 dollars so what are you waiting for go out and get it! you wont regret it
  23. Jan 26, 2012
    Want a complex rpg a (la-Dragon Age) which forces you to make tough decisions and has a really great story line along with a few sex-cards thrown in for fun....well this game is definitely for you.
  24. Dec 2, 2013
    Polish best game ever made. My favourite game from all. Everything is the best. Story, combat, voice acting, characters etc. I have finished The Wicher three times and I love it.
  25. Jan 5, 2012
    One of the most interesting role-playing games that I played. Non-trivial plot, lot of skills, charismatic characters, non-linear quests, moral choices and perfect soundtrack. Well done, CD Projekt.
  26. Mar 17, 2011
    Excellent RPG and best storytelling since Planescape:T. It has interesting concept of blurring the lines between good and evil, there is no truly "good" or truly "evil" choice. The combat gameplay is its only flaw.
    And this game is the only one that has alchemy system that I actually wanted to use and had a lot of fun doing so.
  27. Aug 2, 2014
    Story - 10/10
    Gameplay - 8/10
    Sound/Music - 10/10
    Graphics - 9/10
    World Design - 10/10
    Dialogs - 10/10
    AI - 9/10
    Deserves an assessment 9/10, but I will put 10 because it is the first game CD Projekt Red.
  28. Jun 15, 2011
    Since I passed Witcher I beginning behaves to the videogames as to art. Great nonlinear adventure story in framing of wonderful music of Adam Skorupa.I remember it and till today.
  29. May 26, 2011
    The game is a good game, i will give CDproject that. Its about Geralt of Rivia, a monster hunter, or witcher as the locals call him. He is the typical grunty voiced, tall and handsome protagonist, but once the storyline starts speeding up his true character shows. They have created a great protagonist with the fact that he is a complete badass, but he also has a lot of character. For theThe game is a good game, i will give CDproject that. Its about Geralt of Rivia, a monster hunter, or witcher as the locals call him. He is the typical grunty voiced, tall and handsome protagonist, but once the storyline starts speeding up his true character shows. They have created a great protagonist with the fact that he is a complete badass, but he also has a lot of character. For the rest of the characters, not as much can be said, for it seems as if the game forces the whole entire 'all the characters have a bad side' thing on literally everyone, which can definitely get annoying eventually, but brings a new light to the black and white choices of say, mass effect. The combat is different from the regular hack and slash, but can get fairly annoying especially early on when the combos you do look exactly the same for each hit. His attacks look and get better over time, but it is still frustrating. Another great part of the game is the alchemy system, something where you collect materials to make potions, bombs, and traps, all of which are REQUIRED, not just fun to use, to win in combat at all past easy difficulty. The setting is varied, you go from swamps to cities to small villages to snowy areas, however within these areas there will always be a stalemate where it gets needlessly boring, making the game hard to complete unless your some kind of game perfectionist. The story is a good one though, one that has far reaching choices that make you feel a part of the world like no other game. The game changes according to your choices, and it makes the whole game feel under your control, almost as if your writing a novel through a game. The graphics are also great and detailed as if an artist made them, although somewhat murky. It would have been more pleasing to the eye if they were a bit more colorful, even if it were to take a bit away from the atmosphere. Another issue i have is the loot system, in which there is almost no loot. Most of the time you will be stuck with the same exact weapons throughout most of the game, and if they perhaps made a better armor system the game would have been much more enjoyable and more lengthy (in a good way). That is actually my main issue, the only loot you pick up is small weapons which aren't feasible to use, or alchemical ingredients. With the sound work, it is great in some areas, amazing in other areas, and downright bad in others. Geralt has great voicework, but some of the smaller character make it seem as if they picked a random man off the street to do the voicework. The soundtrack however makes up for it, for it is a great soundtrack. Well, because of a few detractors, this game shys from being truly great, but it is definitely worth playing, especially if you want to play the witcher 2 which is almost unplayable without having played the first game the whole way through. Expand
  30. Mar 12, 2012
    2nd best polish game. One of the best RPGs ever, one of the best fantasy universes ever. : )
    I recommend this game and The Witcher Saga too! :D
    Dark and deep world with sclavinian style.
  31. Mar 31, 2013
    The story of the witcher Geralt is an entirely absorbing tale. Visually impressive for 2007, the game has aged well. You have a multitude of options in character development and progression, every decision made has it's own merits and reasons, separating it from every other cut and paste RPG whose moral compass limits you to either evil or good.
  32. Apr 1, 2013
    Very good start of the series. Game has great story, massive amount of sidequests. Fighting is a little bit difficult in the beginnig, but when you learn it, it gives much fun.
  33. Nov 19, 2014
    The Witcher is one of the best games which I ever played. This climate (quite like Sapkowski's book), storyline and gameplay ! I would write more about this game, but my English is not perfect :).
    PS: Play with mod FCR (Full Combat Rebalance).
  34. Feb 18, 2012
    The Best Story. I love it En mii opinión, mucho mejor que su secuela. Totalmente recomendado. A pesar de sus fallos técnicos, la magia que te hace sentir es úncia y opaca cuaqlquier fallo que quieras encontrarle.
  35. Jul 4, 2012
    This game was fun, entertaining, and pretty. The game kept wanting more. I will be buying the sequel. The sex cards make me feel like a pre-teen again, giggling at cards with "boobies" on them. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The game-play while repetitive, is a lot of fun. The RPG elements in this game are exactly what you'd want from an RPG.
  36. Jul 14, 2012
    Despite some poor voiceovers, the game delivers in almost every category. The character customization has depth, the story has meaning, and the NPC's you encounter are more than enough to fuel immersion. RPG makers of this day and age could learn a lot from CD Projekt RED.
  37. G.S.
    Dec 4, 2007
    A great game, and an even better RPG. Contenders should step aside, because no other title deserves the 2007 RPG award. I miss the chance to create a character, but Geralt made up for that by being fun to follow. Choices make a difference, and there is nevere a "best way" to do things. NPC art is great, and the NPCs themselves are very interesting. The story has a nice twist to it and the A great game, and an even better RPG. Contenders should step aside, because no other title deserves the 2007 RPG award. I miss the chance to create a character, but Geralt made up for that by being fun to follow. Choices make a difference, and there is nevere a "best way" to do things. NPC art is great, and the NPCs themselves are very interesting. The story has a nice twist to it and the illusion of a living world around the character is the best I've seen. Expand
  38. Jez
    Oct 30, 2007
    Draws from Diablo, KOTOR and Jade Empire and beats them all. Best combat in an RPG ever... Involving story, deeper quests than oblivion. Most of all it has gameplay the "mojo" of all games. At least 9/10 for this classic. RPG of the year imo
  39. PHE
    Oct 30, 2007
    This is simply the most enjoyable RPG experience I've had since the golden era of Ultima. It makes some other RPGs released in the last few years almost seem shallow in comparison.
  40. JoeyF.
    Jan 1, 2008
    Do not load your save game from the demo when you buy the full game. The game will crash after you play through chapter one. Other than that, so far I say this is the best RPG I've played in years. Better than Oblivion. Seriously. Finally some mature story telling, thrilling combat,even babes to sack. When I play this game, I feel like I did when I started reading Conan novels when I Do not load your save game from the demo when you buy the full game. The game will crash after you play through chapter one. Other than that, so far I say this is the best RPG I've played in years. Better than Oblivion. Seriously. Finally some mature story telling, thrilling combat,even babes to sack. When I play this game, I feel like I did when I started reading Conan novels when I was 13. Making the choice to go rated R with this game made for a much more believable experience. The story is interesting, the voice acting compelling. I could go on and on. If you love RPG's or even if you have never gotten into one...GET THIS GAME!!! Expand
  41. JarrodL.
    Jan 30, 2008
    This is absolutely the greatest RPG I've ever played honestly i think it has a great story and game play thats actually enjoyable! Go out and buy it now definitively worth every penny you will get every dollar out of it trust me I've played it through three times without ever getting bored.
  42. IvanT.
    Apr 10, 2008
    This is one of the best video game surprises in the last several years. Despite some technical and translation problems (which are partialy solved by patch 1.2, and will be completely solved with Enhanced patch), the Witcher is one fantastic role-playing experience, and shouldn't be missed even if you are not a fan of the genre.
  43. AdH.
    Oct 27, 2007
    Absolutely amazing. The story and sideplots in this game are better than even the Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights series. It looks good, got great voice acting and cool things such as people moving under houses when it's raining and complaining about it, and shoving people out of the way when you're running.
  44. PaulF
    May 30, 2009
    I thing this game is so good. I've played it many times and I know that is not last one of CDProjekt's good games!
  45. MarkO.
    Jan 29, 2010
    One of the most captivating rpgs that I have ever played. Something that I truly appreciate about the game is that it is often difficult to predict future events. This game is not focused entirely on loot, skills (although there's a wide variety), and other distracting (though important, I know) features. The game is all about the story. The developers intentionally put less loot One of the most captivating rpgs that I have ever played. Something that I truly appreciate about the game is that it is often difficult to predict future events. This game is not focused entirely on loot, skills (although there's a wide variety), and other distracting (though important, I know) features. The game is all about the story. The developers intentionally put less loot into the game so that the player would not be distracted by superficial materials. The main character, Gerault, instead, grapples with challenging decisions during the course of the game. In most games today, it is a matter of good vs. evil (take Oblivion, Mass Effect, or Dragon Age for example), in which good usually prevails in a concrete, simple fashion. But, here we have a game where the line between good and evil is difficult to draw and define. You really need to analyze the plot to get a sense of Gerault's purpose in the game and whether his actions are good or bad. You might think that the main character is this nice guy that sets out to destory some evil nemesis (sadly the plotline of most games today), but you're really dealing with a much more complicated plot (which makes it interesting of course). Gerault commits wrongdoings like gambling, drinking, adultery, and etc. which shows how he is flawed despite his heroic deeds (he is indeed a tragic figure). I also found the ending very profound and philosophical. Unlike most video games, you'll actually find some insights into the human character. You'll question whether it is right to interfere with nature, and ask whether it's right to live in an ideal world. The quality of the artistry, dialogue, music, and gameplay is also very good. Overall, good game. At least give it a try. It will stick with you, I promise. Expand
  46. AlessandroS.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Great RPG! Fantastic atmosphere and setting, great characters and a world which you won't leave for a long time! First RPG I really enjoyed since Gothic 2!
  47. AndyC.
    Nov 1, 2007
    Definitely the best rpg of 2007. Never heard about Sapkowski before so I went to library and got some his book. I was so supriced how great story it has. Its definitely must to read story. You think Tolkien is the best? Read Sapkowski! And play this amazing game. Never had so much fun in a game since Baldurs Gate and Planescape Tormen. I want The Wicher 2. Please CD Projekt I count on Definitely the best rpg of 2007. Never heard about Sapkowski before so I went to library and got some his book. I was so supriced how great story it has. Its definitely must to read story. You think Tolkien is the best? Read Sapkowski! And play this amazing game. Never had so much fun in a game since Baldurs Gate and Planescape Tormen. I want The Wicher 2. Please CD Projekt I count on you, although I never heard about you before. Expand
  48. Auro
    Nov 2, 2007
    The main character - i think Gerald is the most amazing character that was ever created in computer RPGs. The storyline, dialogues, monsters, NPCs all of them are so much much much enjoyable.
    Today, only three of computer RPGs i really respect: Baldurs saga, Fallout 1 & 2, The Wither, yep it is definitely The Big Trio of rpg's.
  49. TimB.
    Nov 3, 2007
    The Witcher is a great RPG, definitely comparable to the Greats (Baldur's Gate, Planescape). The Eurogamer review is right to point out that the game is more of a narrative rpg than anything else -- though that makes it no less of an rpg. The tiniest details are accounted for in this game world: Potion/oil making is immersive, the character development system is complicated and The Witcher is a great RPG, definitely comparable to the Greats (Baldur's Gate, Planescape). The Eurogamer review is right to point out that the game is more of a narrative rpg than anything else -- though that makes it no less of an rpg. The tiniest details are accounted for in this game world: Potion/oil making is immersive, the character development system is complicated and interesting and, above all, the world feals real. Forcing the player to actually rent a room at an inn to rest at night (rather than the usual mechanic of just setting camp whenever and wherever) because the night gets dangerous is just a small example of the little things that make the world truly immersive. My review isn't a 10 as a matter of technical issues: Forcing the computer to reload the main level after exiting from a building on that level is probably the dumbest technical decision ever made. Otherwise, it's pretty impressive how smoothly the game plays on even lower to mid-range systems. Expand
  50. Jcdx
    Nov 4, 2007
    You should see a Polish version - much better than the English one, storyline is much richer due to the fact that Sapkowski is one of the most revered fantasy authors in Poland and Atari cut quite much dialogues out of Eng version of the game.
  51. JH
    Nov 5, 2007
    Very good overall. I find it a bit difficult to call it a rpg, when you can't choose your character, but that doesn't affect my enjoyment. Beautiful graphics and surprisingly fast. Good combat system, though not without its problems. Tone and atmosphere interesting and consistent, though the English dialogue doesn't flow perfectly. Details mostly right: like Journal that Very good overall. I find it a bit difficult to call it a rpg, when you can't choose your character, but that doesn't affect my enjoyment. Beautiful graphics and surprisingly fast. Good combat system, though not without its problems. Tone and atmosphere interesting and consistent, though the English dialogue doesn't flow perfectly. Details mostly right: like Journal that really works as a knowledge building tool, without feeling like a spreadsheet. Expand
  52. Socketboy
    Nov 7, 2007
    Great game so far, very original and fun. Love the combat system and the non black and white choices. Some may complain about the loot being mostly related to alchemy stuff, but I think everything about this game including how the potions work, the loot system, etc is a fresh take on the genre. Well done game - highly recommend!
  53. MichaelM.>
    Nov 7, 2007
    I wait for this game for two years and I must said that the product is wonderfull I put this game on the same shelf as Baldurs Gate and I realy encourage to try this to everyone and of course to read Sapkowskis books.
  54. BrianA.
    Oct 26, 2007
    This just barely loses out to Diablo 2 for best point and click RPG ever, due to the lack of multiplayer. It's combat is innovative and fun, the storyline is genuinely interesting, and there's just so much to do. Get this game!
  55. Gabriel
    Oct 29, 2007
    Very good RPG game. Mysterious, dark and bloody. Like life. Full of hard decisions. For real rpg maniacs - not only those who like only good graphics. Outstanding game!
  56. KrzysztofB.
    Oct 29, 2007
    Well it seems we have a game, that is better than Gothic III and Oblivion together. I have seen very few bugs (most of which are physics-relatted), and I'm already halfway through the game. Combat system is pretty ok, a nice balance between simple click-as-fast-as-you-can and Gothic-alike personally controling type of attack. Story is great, with many connections to the book of Well it seems we have a game, that is better than Gothic III and Oblivion together. I have seen very few bugs (most of which are physics-relatted), and I'm already halfway through the game. Combat system is pretty ok, a nice balance between simple click-as-fast-as-you-can and Gothic-alike personally controling type of attack. Story is great, with many connections to the book of Sapkowski. Dialogues are kind of natural, also with many allusions to books, movies... and political life. And Geralt is just as he shall be: lethal, cynic and in great form. Expand
  57. MattV.
    Oct 31, 2007
    This has got to be one of the best role-playing experiences ever to grace a PC. It's got elements of Baldur's Gate, Daggerfall, Fallout, and Gothic... but it's more brutal and gritty than all four of those series combined (especially if you have the uncensored UK version).
  58. RupertM.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Up there with Baldur's Gate, Fallout and Planescape: Torment. An instant classic. Rich in atmosphere, story and action. Gives me goosebumps every time I play it. Actually, I'm getting goosebumps right now by just thinking about it. Some minor bugs and long loading times will hopefully soon be fixed. Must buy for any RPG-Fan!
  59. AndyB.
    Jan 10, 2008
    Best, most intelligent Action RPG for ages. Love the situations you get thrown into, and the choices you have to make. The world feels incredibly real too, with people following schedules and acting to character. Oblivion in particular isn't worthy to lick this games' boots.
  60. ReiverM.
    Jan 15, 2008
    A very impressive debut that shames the established big boys in its depth, scale and beauty. The first thing that you'll notice about the game is that it's aimed firmly at adults. There's swearing and boobies aplenty but that's not what makes it an "adult game". It's the way it treats you like a capable and competent human rather than some ADHD kid who needs his A very impressive debut that shames the established big boys in its depth, scale and beauty. The first thing that you'll notice about the game is that it's aimed firmly at adults. There's swearing and boobies aplenty but that's not what makes it an "adult game". It's the way it treats you like a capable and competent human rather than some ADHD kid who needs his hand held every step of the way and every puzzle signposted. It actually makes you think about decisions and for that alone it would stand out from the current crop of so called RPGs. It also looks beautiful. Maybe not Crysis pretty but its excellent animations and art work had me screenshoting every couple of minutes as I saw something new and breathtaking. Unfortunately the obvious amount of time spent on the enviroments wasn't mirrored in the time spent on character models. Although all NPCs look great from their patched clothing to their bulky armour to their voluptous cleavage and snub nosed cuteness there's not sufficient variety for a game of this size. It's forgiveable to re-use models for the extras like villagers who've nothing to say and go about their excellently scripted routines in the background but not for main dialogue NPCs. The old man, fat merchant and old hag models are especially overused. The story is strong throughout and although it appears to have lost a little of the nuances in translation it is engaging and interesting. Basing it on a series of books gives it a weighty backstory and enough lore to provide a solid base distinct from the usual tolkein cliches. The lack of variety in choosing the PC may be seen as a weakness by some but the way I see it is you're experiencing a story as Geralt and that has its advantages as well. One of which is that the creators didn't have to budget for the 101 choices that similar RPGs give you and always seem to come up short in catering for your particular skillset. You still get to make choices in the game and to implement your personality on the game but you do so as Geralt which, imo, keeps the game tighter and less jarring compared to eg. NWN2. Perhaps not for everyone and it does have a couple of bugs but, for me, this is the game of the year and the most enjoyable RPG i've played since Morrowind. Expand
  61. AndreP.
    Jan 19, 2008
    The best RPG since gothic 2. The only real flaws are technical ones, I suffered a few crashes, and you need a relatively new computer to enjoy a smooth frame rate with high settings. Of course, it's no worse than any of the latest FPS games around, so I don't know what people are complaining about. Great characters, great story, with engaging and challenging combat. What's The best RPG since gothic 2. The only real flaws are technical ones, I suffered a few crashes, and you need a relatively new computer to enjoy a smooth frame rate with high settings. Of course, it's no worse than any of the latest FPS games around, so I don't know what people are complaining about. Great characters, great story, with engaging and challenging combat. What's not to love? Expand
  62. JanS.
    Jan 8, 2008
    A truly marvelous epic game. Easily the most engaging rpg story ever. Best voices in a game so far. Few flaws, just leave room for improvement.
  63. MarkR.
    Feb 11, 2008
    I don't know if you can really say this is the best RPG ever...it's just fun and tries to be different. The developers did what they could to make it so the fighting styles weren't just endless clicking. The different fighting styles keep you on your toes as well. The sex is unnecessary, but it will be in all good games, and is thrown in there for fun. The game moves along I don't know if you can really say this is the best RPG ever...it's just fun and tries to be different. The developers did what they could to make it so the fighting styles weren't just endless clicking. The different fighting styles keep you on your toes as well. The sex is unnecessary, but it will be in all good games, and is thrown in there for fun. The game moves along at a good pace and many quests are not of the "go fetch this for me" variety. The load times were fixed in the patch. I have 2 GB of ram and going into a small place takes about 5 sec., and into larger places maybe 10 sec or so which includes an autosave. If you like RPG's, you will have a good time playing this game. Expand
  64. RyanS.
    Feb 1, 2008
    Great game considering the low budget heavily modified engine. This game delivers where all others fail, a intriguing and fun storyline that keeps you on the edge of your chair. It needs technical polishing for low end computers, but anyone who has kept up to date and downloaded the latest patch will have less then 30 second load times in every area and minimal crashes.
  65. MichaelR.
    Feb 1, 2008
    One of the best roleplaying games that I have ever played.
  66. DagE.
    Feb 2, 2008
    Great game. Storyline is great with no typical good or evil plot. Some boring parts because you had to run a lot between npc to complete quests.
  67. AndyS.
    Feb 20, 2008
    A great game. The graphics when on high are clean and quite pleasing, though the old neverwinter nights 2 engine is starting to show its age. The audio is generally very good, the music especially deserves a mention, though i must admit as stated by other users that there are a few cringe worthy cases of bad voice acting/translation. The gameplay has a few flaws with the controls A great game. The graphics when on high are clean and quite pleasing, though the old neverwinter nights 2 engine is starting to show its age. The audio is generally very good, the music especially deserves a mention, though i must admit as stated by other users that there are a few cringe worthy cases of bad voice acting/translation. The gameplay has a few flaws with the controls occasionally being slightly jerky and lootable items sometimes refusing to show up until the character moves. Despite this however the story is excellent and more than makes up for the games flaws, if youre an rpg fan I'd say this is a must buy. Expand
  68. MarkWilliams
    Feb 29, 2008
    Pros:
    Absolutely Epic feel to this game, amazing story.
    Insane twists and turns, not black and white gameplay. Fun weapon combo/style system. Play this game. Definitely. Cons: Load times are the suck, but every game has them. Spells aren't all that needed, they can be fun to mess around with, but I'm usually the caster class, so that was a bit disappointing.
    Pros:
    Absolutely Epic feel to this game, amazing story.
    Insane twists and turns, not black and white gameplay.
    Fun weapon combo/style system.
    Play this game. Definitely.

Cons:
    Load times are the suck, but every game has them.
    Boundries can get frustrating. You tend to get roped off from places and have to go around, alot.
    Don't let these cons stop you from playing, the good points far outweigh the bad. It's amazing.
  69. LouisK.
    Feb 9, 2008
    I Have to say that I'm loving this game. The graphics are great if you excuse the over used NPC models. The story is engaging and the gameplay is refreshing for an RPG. I love the potion mixing system which a lot of reviews didn't like and I love the experience system as you don't have to wait ages to make advances, you can spend experience coins as you go, but the higher I Have to say that I'm loving this game. The graphics are great if you excuse the over used NPC models. The story is engaging and the gameplay is refreshing for an RPG. I love the potion mixing system which a lot of reviews didn't like and I love the experience system as you don't have to wait ages to make advances, you can spend experience coins as you go, but the higher levels still take work to achieve. the fact that you cant create a character isnt a bad thing as it allows the makers to tell a story about your character without worrying about loads of character versions, besides i like the main character :) a lot of the negatives I have read seemed to have been addressed with the 1.2 patch so make sure you get it. I don't have a hyper pc by far and I have not had the same huge load time problems people have described. About th e same load times as oblivion had at any rate so I can only assume that the patch addressed this issue. Try this game before you buy as its a little like Marmite you either love it or hate it. Expand
  70. ShaunH.
    Apr 20, 2008
    I can't understand why this game got such low critic reviews? I am a RPG veteran and I found this game fresh and interesting. The 'infamous' load times were unnoticable on my 2GB RAM comp. The combat was innovative and the coup de graces were great to watch. The dialogue and voice acting is some what uninspired at times, but it is not bad enough to tarnish the great I can't understand why this game got such low critic reviews? I am a RPG veteran and I found this game fresh and interesting. The 'infamous' load times were unnoticable on my 2GB RAM comp. The combat was innovative and the coup de graces were great to watch. The dialogue and voice acting is some what uninspired at times, but it is not bad enough to tarnish the great gameplay and engulfing story. Expand
  71. ChristianR.
    Sep 17, 2008
    Firstly let me just say that I actually disliked this game when I first played it, I had the slowest computer on the planet (well not exactly...XP) and stopped playing it because of the 10 minute load times. After a month, i realized i could fix the graphic settings... and when i did, the game played brilliantly! I i was glued to the screen for 5 hours just on the first chapter and Firstly let me just say that I actually disliked this game when I first played it, I had the slowest computer on the planet (well not exactly...XP) and stopped playing it because of the 10 minute load times. After a month, i realized i could fix the graphic settings... and when i did, the game played brilliantly! I i was glued to the screen for 5 hours just on the first chapter and i've never had so much fun in a game before. Oblivion doesn't even compare in terms of RPG material. Geralt is probably one of the most amazing characters in any game. Period. Too point out the flaws...maybe the load times and the slight language problems. However, if you can look past all this... then this is the best RPG on the market, Graphically & Entertainingly. Expand
  72. JackM
    Sep 21, 2008
    Great and innovative RPG game, extended edition patch makes it what it was supposed to be, which is nothing short of extraordinary.
  73. PeterM.
    Sep 7, 2008
    Awesome storyline, beautiful graphics and alluring music mixed together to create an outstanding cRPG game. Something that can only be compared with Wizardry 8th and Baldurs Gate 2.
  74. salllyr
    Dec 3, 2009
    Best most well thought out rpg in a long time. Apart from the samey npc's, everything is great. The music, the look of the game but most importantly quests you care about. Not fetch and carry ones but fun who dunnits etc that make you think about the story in order to solve it. Love it. H8 the crashing in vista even with fix.
  75. M_Alex
    Nov 1, 2007
    A very good game. not as monotonous as the hack and slash's, which i don't care much for. has a story, and good, addictive gameplay.
  76. LukeG.
    Nov 10, 2007
    Excellent Game. Inovative and well crafted. Epic story unique RPG. instant hit.
  77. Rymdkejsaren
    Nov 1, 2007
    This game is excellent overall. Beautiful graphics, wonderful settings, lovely music, good sound effects and very nice combat animations for the main character. The story has a slow start, the old amnesia trick is used but the story grows on you slowly until you are deeply involved. Unfortunately I think the dialog has lost a lot in translation from polish, it seems fragmented and This game is excellent overall. Beautiful graphics, wonderful settings, lovely music, good sound effects and very nice combat animations for the main character. The story has a slow start, the old amnesia trick is used but the story grows on you slowly until you are deeply involved. Unfortunately I think the dialog has lost a lot in translation from polish, it seems fragmented and illogical at times. Some plotlines could also use some work, there seems to be a lot of unmotivated actions and random. I'm not overly impressed with the advancement system, because in the end most characters will have a similar build. The alchemy is great fun though, and I love playing on hard difficulty where you really have to plan ahead of the big battles. Combat is fun, although could use some polishing since it seems sometimes your character refuses to behave the way you expect him to. Overall the game is excellent, but gets a slightly lower grade because with just a little more work in some areas it could have been absolutely perfect. I considered an 8 but then I remembered how much I enjoy playing the game, which is the most important thing after all. Expand
  78. AndreasO.
    Nov 1, 2007
    Great visuals, beautiful and thoughtfully placed music, upstanding voice acting and a story that, while familiar, is still complex and engrossing marks this game as the RPG of the Year 2007. The gameplay gets it all right, taking the immersion factor from the Gothic series' timed combo attacks, the necessity of choosing appropriate attack tactics from Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and Great visuals, beautiful and thoughtfully placed music, upstanding voice acting and a story that, while familiar, is still complex and engrossing marks this game as the RPG of the Year 2007. The gameplay gets it all right, taking the immersion factor from the Gothic series' timed combo attacks, the necessity of choosing appropriate attack tactics from Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and the style from Neverwinter Nights. Probably the best RPG combat I've seen in my life. However, and this is a big however, if you want to play this game, bring a book. (Buying the books the game is based on would be very fitting, and I can easily recommend them as they're quite good) The load times are stuff of legend . . . As in, future archeologists will find computers three thousand years from now [i]still[/i] loading the Temple District. Expand
  79. Skeez187S
    Nov 10, 2007
    Best RPG since Fallout 2. Its also easing its way into my top 10 games ever. Its a shame when review sites and overall gamer opinion differ so heavily. Shows the "Pro" Reviewers have lost their way, maybe the devs didn´t throw enough money at them in the form of ad placement.
  80. Rashid
    Nov 2, 2007
    For old school gamers who liked Balder's Gate series, Icewind Dale, KOTOR, NWN, Planscape: Torment, those who play games for the plot and the choices facing the player, this is the game for you! If your into rubbish like Oblivion (and I had high hopes for that game) mindless hack and slash adventures etc, you may not like it. The game takes the 'RPG' back to its classical For old school gamers who liked Balder's Gate series, Icewind Dale, KOTOR, NWN, Planscape: Torment, those who play games for the plot and the choices facing the player, this is the game for you! If your into rubbish like Oblivion (and I had high hopes for that game) mindless hack and slash adventures etc, you may not like it. The game takes the 'RPG' back to its classical roots. If you want a complex game with lots to read, 'role-play', investigate, nice fighting and things do, this is the game for you. One gripe folks have it loading times, but I didnt find it to be much of a bother and it didnt take much away from my overall experience personally. Expand
  81. FC
    Nov 2, 2007
    Went into the shop the other day for an RPG. Choice between this and Hellgate...very glad I chose this : ) A really nice suprise to me. Mature storyline and decent script add up to make a REAL rpg with soul. No doubt this is due to the rich source material of the book it is based upon. Reservations: some of the game events are narratively a little clumsy (like the initial Barghest Went into the shop the other day for an RPG. Choice between this and Hellgate...very glad I chose this : ) A really nice suprise to me. Mature storyline and decent script add up to make a REAL rpg with soul. No doubt this is due to the rich source material of the book it is based upon. Reservations: some of the game events are narratively a little clumsy (like the initial Barghest attack...kinda throws you in there with little explanation) The loading times are also a bit of an issue but otherwise I recommend it. Expand
  82. RobR.
    Nov 2, 2007
    Fine action and an nteresting story. Pretty solid combat system. Fantastic mood music and graphic. MUST HAVE GAME!
  83. BürstlK.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Best Rpg in 2007. I hate dwarves, trolls, little nice elves and fairies. The Witcher has none of these RPG Elements and thats ok.
  84. IustinianP.
    Nov 2, 2007
    Excellent game. One of the best RPGs I have played since Oblivion. Un-missable for any RPG fan. So far, best graphics, best story. As far as I can see it won't be any better RPG this year, so, for those looking for the perfect (adult) PC-Gme gift THIS IS IT.
  85. JulieH.
    Nov 23, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant game..... cant wait for the add ons and tool guide!!
  86. VikramP.
    Nov 26, 2007
    Graphics and gameplay are good and very well-done considering this is not a big budget title. The story is excellent (with some hokeyness) and the atmosphere will suck you in - points added for originality. Music is amazingly good. Add a party system and this is what NWN2 should have been. All in all, a great throwback to days of Baldur's Gate, NWN, and classic Ultima.
  87. Novahawk
    Nov 28, 2007
    11 is what I'd give this game, even though the max is 10. Despite the stretched out zone loading, this game is simply amazing and makes up for it. This is like having Billy Crystal at your house laughing your heart out til your mother-in-law passed away the very next day. Among the contenders, this game ought to be praised as the best award RPG for 2007 in its class. Well done Atari, 11 is what I'd give this game, even though the max is 10. Despite the stretched out zone loading, this game is simply amazing and makes up for it. This is like having Billy Crystal at your house laughing your heart out til your mother-in-law passed away the very next day. Among the contenders, this game ought to be praised as the best award RPG for 2007 in its class. Well done Atari, Bioware, CDProjekt . Expand
  88. LecksC.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Best RPG I've ever experienced. Great non-linear mature story, great gameplay, great graphics. A real suprise, I wasn't expecting much from this.
  89. BobS.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Best game i've played in a VERY long time. Nothing like a good story to get me interested in games again. I must be getting old since I feel like i've played every game before. Not this one though!
  90. Micha?S.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Best RPG ever! Moreover based on my favorite book, you have to read them to understand this game, this character and this world!!
  91. Ingvarr
    Nov 4, 2007
    As I'm fan of Sapkovski I was waiting IT for 5 years. "Witcher" is one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. Strongly recommended in huge doses with book. P.S. Console owners must cry.
  92. NealV.
    Nov 4, 2007
    Fantastic game from an unknown company fills the RPG void after the relative failures of NWN2 and Gothic 3. Unique setting, fascinating characters, above-average voice acting, beautiful visuals, and many other well composed elements. Your standard high fantasy setting done in a remarkably fresh way, the likes of which Forgotten Realms and the BG series could never achieve. The game puts Fantastic game from an unknown company fills the RPG void after the relative failures of NWN2 and Gothic 3. Unique setting, fascinating characters, above-average voice acting, beautiful visuals, and many other well composed elements. Your standard high fantasy setting done in a remarkably fresh way, the likes of which Forgotten Realms and the BG series could never achieve. The game puts you in the middle of conspiracy and political intrigue and allows you to actually play a part in influencing major developments. The major problem is that combat can dry up if you take too long to move to a new area, but luckily the game moves quickly enough and introduces enough new enemies and combat skills that this will rarely be a problem. I've never heard of GameDaily and chances are neither have you. Pay attention to IGN's review instead, GameDaily clearly awards scores based on ad sales. Andreas, the archaeologist comment must be because you bought an artifact from one and called it a PC. I have never had a loading screen for more than 20 seconds. Expand
  93. JoeF.
    Nov 5, 2007
    I'm truely amazed at some of the professional review scores I'm seeing here. It's rare for a game to live up to the hype surrounding it's release (even when that hype is limited). "The Witcher" has been one of the most fun RPG's I've played in recent memory (that includes NWN2, The Mask of the Betrayer NWN2 expansion, and oblivion). I'm finding it I'm truely amazed at some of the professional review scores I'm seeing here. It's rare for a game to live up to the hype surrounding it's release (even when that hype is limited). "The Witcher" has been one of the most fun RPG's I've played in recent memory (that includes NWN2, The Mask of the Betrayer NWN2 expansion, and oblivion). I'm finding it refreshing to advance the story line after finishing the side quests. There are alot of "Sherlock Holmes" moments in act I, where if you pay close attention to the things people say you can figure out alot about the storyline before it's full out shown to you after advancing the storyline later down the line. The click style combat is simple but unlike diablo isn't going to cause anyone carpel tunnel as the mouse is clicked at specific times in a combination rather than repeatedly. The games not perfect. It is a huge system hog, load times are horrible at times, and there are random crashes. However, I haven't been this drawn into a game since Knights of the Old Republic. Expand
  94. PeterS.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Game of the year, hands down. At first I was sceptical abotu this title, but mere 5 minutes into playing it, I felt like falling in love. Immersive setting and gameplay, interesting characters and a gritty feel like no US-made game could provide... they've really made a treat for us roleplaying fans.
  95. RobertL.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Great game, great atmosphere. Very few weak points, and they don't bother me at all.
  96. KristoffV.
    Nov 7, 2007
    The Witcher is a gem amongst the dirt. While it comes with its fair share of chips and scratches, it's beautiful none the less. If a darker, grittier, twist of modern fantasy sounds appealing to you, give this game a go.
  97. AdamD.
    Nov 9, 2007
    Best RPG since the blackisle days of Fallout and baulders Gate. The combat system takes some getting used to but is actually fun, unlike Oblivion's combat ( I find it obscene that anyone could give Oblivion a 9 and then say the witcher was too boring for them) and the loading times are up there (about 30 seconds to load a saved game) but its all worth it. If you like single player Best RPG since the blackisle days of Fallout and baulders Gate. The combat system takes some getting used to but is actually fun, unlike Oblivion's combat ( I find it obscene that anyone could give Oblivion a 9 and then say the witcher was too boring for them) and the loading times are up there (about 30 seconds to load a saved game) but its all worth it. If you like single player rpgs with a gorgeous, deep, living world where interactions with npcs matter and even the straight forward quests have twists and surprises this is a must buy. (I ordered the UK version since the US one got all censored up.) Expand
  98. JohnK.
    Dec 20, 2007
    A fantastic RPG both for mature gamers more interested in uncovering a teriffic, well-paced story than power leveling and selling loot. Easily the best RPG of 07 and second overall only to Stalker.
  99. PhilippN.
    Oct 26, 2007
    This game is the best rpg for years. The Witcher has got a great atmosphere. It's not without flaws but the good sides make that up. It has all a rpg should have and is a most enjoyable experience.
  100. SomeBodyElse
    Dec 6, 2007
    Unique atmosphere - 10+ playability - 10 graphics - 9,5 music/sound - 9,5 inventory and equipment - 5 :( Overall - 10 as I am a bit old fashioned and love complex mature story that requires me to think not to increase mouse-click speed or my hero to run here and there around the map to complete quests PS - in case you hate loading time - increase your RAM - in my case upgrade from 1GB to Unique atmosphere - 10+ playability - 10 graphics - 9,5 music/sound - 9,5 inventory and equipment - 5 :( Overall - 10 as I am a bit old fashioned and love complex mature story that requires me to think not to increase mouse-click speed or my hero to run here and there around the map to complete quests PS - in case you hate loading time - increase your RAM - in my case upgrade from 1GB to 3GB cut the loading times at least by a half and now it does not disturb me anymore. Expand

1. So if you’re looking for a dark and moody role-playing game that is different than everything else out there, and if you have a reasonably powerful computer that can handle the engine, and if you don’t mind adult themes that are more than a little male-centric, then the Witcher is certainly a game to consider.
  2. Trading more traditional, menu-drilling RPG “depth” for sheer style, action, mechanical elegance and what might be called a refreshingly grim mood, The Witcher is one of the most compelling - if not the cheeriest - fantasy excursions to come along in many a moon.
  3. The Witcher is a fantastic RPG, a perfect recreation of the world imagined by Sapkowski. Being focused in a complex story as it is, the many hours of play will make us completely disregard the absence of multiplayer of any kind.