• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Oct 30, 2007
8.9

1. Jan 5, 2012
    One of the most interesting role-playing games that I played. Non-trivial plot, lot of skills, charismatic characters, non-linear quests, moral choices and perfect soundtrack. Well done, CD Projekt.
  2. Mar 17, 2011
    Excellent RPG and best storytelling since Planescape:T. It has interesting concept of blurring the lines between good and evil, there is no truly "good" or truly "evil" choice. The combat gameplay is its only flaw.
    And this game is the only one that has alchemy system that I actually wanted to use and had a lot of fun doing so.
  3. Mar 18, 2011
    The best true RPG to arrive on the scene since Baldur's Gate II. Not RPG +Action. Not RPG+Strategy. Not RPG + anything else. Just pure RPG. Yes, I concur that the load times are annoying. But if that's the worst you can say about a game take your marbles and go home. In every other respect The Witcher delivers. How good is this game. Let me explain. I play the World of Warcraft. I play it a lot. You could say I'm addicted to it, if you like. The Witcher is the only game that I stopped playing WoW for. Stopped cold. If the industry would come up with more games like this maybe I would come back to playing single player RPGs entirely. If you don't like this game then it's simply the case the RPG are not your style of game. Expand
  4. Jun 15, 2011
    Since I passed Witcher I beginning behaves to the videogames as to art. Great nonlinear adventure story in framing of wonderful music of Adam Skorupa.I remember it and till today.
  5. May 18, 2011
    wow where to start I absolutely loved this game from start to finish,sucked me in and wouldent let me go,awsome graphics memorable story,This is how rpg's for pc should be done.Quiete a long game,I put about 50 hours into it because there are just so many sidequests
  6. May 19, 2011
    The Witcher is simply one of the best games I have ever played. I was waiting for the game like this for a really long time. It has some cons and not everyone will fell comfortable with it's game play (I like adventure games), but that game put me out from social life for a whole week and it was definitely worth it. 9.0
  7. May 20, 2011
    awsome game great graphics great fighting system and an amazingly good musical score it has black and white morality definatly worth buying you can pick this babay up at gog.com right now for 5 dollars so what are you waiting for go out and get it! you wont regret it
  8. May 24, 2011
    The best game I have been played.Why innovating fighting system, beautiful world , amusing music, intelligent story, clever dialogues. Many hours spend in very special world.
  9. Jun 15, 2011
  10. Jul 3, 2011
    A very underrated game, mostly because a large amount of people did not really try this game before Witcher 2 came out. While this game doesn't have the amazing visuals of its sequel, it still provides an excellent story and exciting combat. A great title for any RPG fan.
  11. Sep 7, 2011
    When Mass Effect and The Witcher were in planning they must have shared cheat-sheets because the central formula and release date for both games are startlingly similar. Gritty, kick-ass main character: Check. Huge, engrossing plot with plenty of opportunities for role-playing: Check. A half decent combat system and a sub-par magical system: Check. Oh yeah, and **** **** **** and more **** CHECK! Bioware, however made the successful marketing strategy of advertising its alien **** while the Witcher was more subtle about it in the promos but when the time came it went all out. This is probably why Mass Effect got better ratings in my opinion because the two are almost equal in every area. But enough about the sex, it doesn't really play that big a part in either game, I just wouldn't give The Witcher to my kids. While Mass Effect is about a 'space marine' trying to save the galaxy, The Witcher is about a guy who no-one likes trying to save/destroy a town that no-one likes and save/kill all the humans/elves or dwarves. As you can see its very non-linear and with quite a lot of options that effect the game, so much so that if you kill someone at the beginning of the game you will feel the effects of it at the end and at several places in-between. I mentioned that the combat was mediocre, however two points really make up for it. One: an excellent potions system which allows you to gain huge advantages based on which enemies you are fighting. And two: it forces you to change your tactics based on the tactics of your enemy. These two factors really make up for the lack of a decent fighting system and keep the combat interesting. The story does take a long time to get moving, and you will spend the first half of the game not really knowing what is going on (and you don't even find out whom the main antagonist is until the very moment you go to fight him) but if you keep at it you will be rewarded. There is really a bit of everything, from the classic hero type questing, to a mystery plot in which you become a detective, to conducting/preventing a bank robbery. If you can get past the initial tedium, you will be rewarded as it has one of the best endings. In conclusion, if you are the kind of person who liked the shooting part of Mass Effect, you probably won't like this game, but if you liked the story aspect you probably will. Expand
  12. Sep 16, 2011
    It's absolutely awesome, when polish developer took the best hero in polish fantasy and give us one of the most memorable RPG of this generation. This game still need a little bit of technical support, but the role-playing aspects showed every developers how this work should be done. Yes, i'm Pole, and so what?
  13. Sep 19, 2011
    There are really some flaws in the game (but Enhanced Edition is seriously improved), but they are really minor and don't spoil game play. But I give this game 10 out of 10 because of the terrific story and character's personality development. There are a lot of situations in the game where you have to think about philosophical questions.
  14. Nov 29, 2011
    I admit I was late getting on the Witcher bandwagon, but what can I say? I finally have a decent PC now. I have been enjoying this game for well over 30+ hours of gameplay now and I am seriously loving it. The combat is fun. The alchemy tasks are well thought out. The storyline is great. And best of all the voice acting is actually pretty good (enhanced edition). I will probably start the game over as soon as I am finished with my first playthrough. I cannot wait to pick up The Witcher 2 very soon. I strongly recommend this game to any PC RPG fan. Expand
  15. Nov 26, 2011
    Great game. A compelling story, dynamic (if a little bit flawed) combat system, and fantastic characters. A must for true RPG fans. Lots of difficult choices that feel like they matter (they might not influence the gameplay too much, yet you see echoes of your decisions throughout the whole game). The game's story and the situations that your character is put in are more lifelike than in any other RPG (especially modern one). There is no 'right' or 'wrong' and being cast in the middle of a war between two fractions you have to pick your side (or try very hard to be neutral, which you can never truly be).

I am surprised to see some negative reviews, unfortunately some of them show that the reviewer hasn't really tried to play the game (someone complained about an unresponsive combat system where you have to click and hold a mouse button and hope it will work, which sometimes it did and sometimes didn't - that's not the case, the system works in an entirely different way and going through a tutorial would be enough to find this out)...
  16. Dec 31, 2011
    Excellent game in a deep, complex dark world and the heroes in the middle in all of this. Fantastic graphics, fantastic world, fantastic story this is how must be a modern rpg.
  17. Jan 26, 2012
    Want a complex rpg a (la-Dragon Age) which forces you to make tough decisions and has a really great story line along with a few sex-cards thrown in for fun....well this game is definitely for you.
  18. Feb 18, 2012
    The Best Story. I love it En mii opinión, mucho mejor que su secuela. Totalmente recomendado. A pesar de sus fallos técnicos, la magia que te hace sentir es úncia y opaca cuaqlquier fallo que quieras encontrarle.
  19. Mar 12, 2012
    2nd best polish game. One of the best RPGs ever, one of the best fantasy universes ever. : )
    I recommend this game and The Witcher Saga too! :D
    Dark and deep world with sclavinian style.
  20. Jul 4, 2012
    This game was fun, entertaining, and pretty. The game kept wanting more. I will be buying the sequel. The sex cards make me feel like a pre-teen again, giggling at cards with "boobies" on them. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The game-play while repetitive, is a lot of fun. The RPG elements in this game are exactly what you'd want from an RPG.
  21. Jul 14, 2012
    Despite some poor voiceovers, the game delivers in almost every category. The character customization has depth, the story has meaning, and the NPC's you encounter are more than enough to fuel immersion. RPG makers of this day and age could learn a lot from CD Projekt RED.
  22. Sep 11, 2012
    The Witcher Has A Great Atmosphere.
  23. Mar 31, 2013
    The story of the witcher Geralt is an entirely absorbing tale. Visually impressive for 2007, the game has aged well. You have a multitude of options in character development and progression, every decision made has it's own merits and reasons, separating it from every other cut and paste RPG whose moral compass limits you to either evil or good.
  24. Apr 1, 2013
    Very good start of the series. Game has great story, massive amount of sidequests. Fighting is a little bit difficult in the beginnig, but when you learn it, it gives much fun.
  25. Dec 2, 2013
    Polish best game ever made. My favourite game from all. Everything is the best. Story, combat, voice acting, characters etc. I have finished The Wicher three times and I love it.
  26. Oct 16, 2013
    İt the most realistic and playable role playing game in the 2007's. You should give the chance this stuff. Actions and graphics are wonderfull. if you have a GREAT TİME you have to play.
  27. Feb 24, 2014
    The Witcher is one of the best RPGs I ever played. I liked the combat system, the character development, the graphics, the theme and all that. Above all, the story telling and the atmosphere. It is very rare to find so much immersion and depth in a game and this one has plenty of it. The music is beautifull too. The only downside I can think of is the technical side of it. Saving the games did not work very well as far as I remember and there were some other similar minor problems too. Somehow, The Witcher games do not seem to handle the technical side so well. Apart from that, this game is a genius. Expand
  28. Mar 7, 2014
    The Witcher is a game that feels dated by today's standard but strangely one game that despite its flaws, never fails to have me glued to it two to three hours a time, for me, thats a very long time to be playing games! The clicking style combat is boring for me and serves no purpose but its really the story that keeps me glued to the game for hours a time. The whole world is so alive with everything and everyone living their own lives with or without you. There's so many ways to handle everything that you can really get creative... want to buy a kickass piece of gear? You can either gamble for it, fight for it, trade stuffs for it... etc... its just how much you want it. This is truly an amazing piece of RPG which doesn't really deliver on the action side but its RPG elements are what I have never seen before... much better than Baldur's Gate. If you want good action and awesome enemy design, this is not the game for you... every other action games out there ace this game in terms of these two areas but if you want a DEEP, and I mean DEEEEEP, RPG... this is for you! Expand

1. So if you’re looking for a dark and moody role-playing game that is different than everything else out there, and if you have a reasonably powerful computer that can handle the engine, and if you don’t mind adult themes that are more than a little male-centric, then the Witcher is certainly a game to consider.
  2. Trading more traditional, menu-drilling RPG “depth” for sheer style, action, mechanical elegance and what might be called a refreshingly grim mood, The Witcher is one of the most compelling - if not the cheeriest - fantasy excursions to come along in many a moon.
  3. The Witcher is a fantastic RPG, a perfect recreation of the world imagined by Sapkowski. Being focused in a complex story as it is, the many hours of play will make us completely disregard the absence of multiplayer of any kind.