Theatre of War 3: Korea PC

5.5

1. Nov 24, 2013
    This isn't a bad buy for a long time Battlefront fan like myself, and the added features such as helicopters is more than welcome, but honestly how did they manage to introduce bugs that weren't even in Theatre of War 2, considering this game is basically just Theatre of War 2? Sometimes the units would curl up against each other in a corner when you tell them to move, and you have toThis isn't a bad buy for a long time Battlefront fan like myself, and the added features such as helicopters is more than welcome, but honestly how did they manage to introduce bugs that weren't even in Theatre of War 2, considering this game is basically just Theatre of War 2? Sometimes the units would curl up against each other in a corner when you tell them to move, and you have to figure out how to get them moving again by trial and error, while other times the path finding works exactly like it should. Why the wonkiness? I can understand if you guys can't be bothered to make TOW2 better, but how did you manage to make it worse?
    The lack of documentation has been a problem in the series, but this is a new low. What in hell is "Historical units set"? What are the numbers on the top left hand side corner of the campaign screen?

Oh, another thing: now when you click a solder, you automatically select the whole squad, and you have to double click the solder to select him only. This little change makes infantry movement so much harder. I could name other annoying little changes from TOW2 that make no sense, but I'd rather not.

And mortars. Player controlled mortars are wildly inaccurate. It's not uncommon for a mortar to empty all 84 rounds without killing anything. Enemy mortars, however, can wipe out entire platoons with a few rounds. This makes infantry squads useless whenever the enemy has a mortar position. Either make enemy mortars as inaccurate as player controlled ones, or get rid of these pieces of junk altogether.

Infantry behaviour is exactly the same as in TOW2. They still throw grenades at friendly units, take minutes to figure out how to shoot an enemy 5 metres away. Good thing enemy soldiers can now surrender, making trench warfare slightly less frustrating.
  2. Apr 24, 2013
    Not as bad as everyone thinks. If your a fan of the series which I am, this offers a number of challenges. First it crashes a bit, second the AI could use a tune up but the game in general is decent. The campaign is enjoyable with a number of new craft and units. All in all I'm happy
  3. Sep 1, 2011
    Don't buy ANYTHING from Battlefront. They (Steve) have gotten a little too big for their britches and think they are the cats meow when it comes to gaming. They have the worst customer service interaction of any company I have ever dealt with and Steve is a LIAR. He said he would eat a web page if anyone could prove that any company supports their games for FREE beyond 6 to 8 years. It wasDon't buy ANYTHING from Battlefront. They (Steve) have gotten a little too big for their britches and think they are the cats meow when it comes to gaming. They have the worst customer service interaction of any company I have ever dealt with and Steve is a LIAR. He said he would eat a web page if anyone could prove that any company supports their games for FREE beyond 6 to 8 years. It was proven and he just started banning people. Plus they have an intrusive DRM scheme as well to activate your games and they charge you for patches now at $5 a pop for CMBB and CMAK. Buy it if you must but at least wait for the bargain bin $5 which will surely come. Expand
  4. Jul 9, 2011
    Wow, I joined metacritic just so I could write a review on how disappointing this game was. After it crashed for the n-th time, I figured I would vote with a note.

Don't go near this game!
  5. Mar 27, 2011
    One of the worst purchases I have ever made in my entire life . . . I've bought a fair amount of not so awesome games but this one just tops the list! The game is constantly crashing and the frame rate is so bad. My PC surpasses the recommended system requirements on steam I tried playing it on medium graphics and the game still lags like crazy . . . And the worst thing is the graphics arenâ
  6. Mar 27, 2011

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    May 22, 2011
    Uff, this is so too damn much. Asking for such a high price for something that is playable only with the greatest efforts only needs courage. [Issue#203]
  2. PC Gamer
    May 18, 2011
    After Theatre of War 3: Korea crashed for the last time, I realized it'd only succeeded in whetting my appetite for a good Korean War real-time strategy game. [July 2011, p.69]
  3. May 5, 2011
    Dedication to an overlooked conflict cannot make up for being a bad game. Suitable only for those who have a deep interest in Korean War-era small squad combat. Anybody else should dig up an old copy of "Close Combat" or "Combat Mission" or "Firefight" or something.