4.8

1. Apr 16, 2014
    TFOL seems to be a very controversial game when it comes to reviews, as it's a very "iffy" game, if you can even call it a game. I would call TFOL an experimentation, a prototype; a look into how storytelling can be changed. Saying that, I understand what Blendo was going for, they were attempting something new and trying to tell a story in under 20 minutes, but honestly it just didn't work. Maybe if they did something different this technique could've worked but it's just not polished enough and it feels broken or incomplete. There's even a couple random scenes that have nothing to do with the story they're trying to tell, like why do I need to know how wings work? I learned that in highschool and I didn't care then either. I just feel it's irrelevant and was simply to add a couple minutes more to the game so people can't say that it's less than 20 minutes (took me 24 minutes to complete both games (Gravity Bone and TFOL)).

What I'm getting at here is if a developer wants to make a unique game, or an artsy game, throwing a couple stylized 3D models together in a few random consecutive scenes is not the way to do it. I love art indie games, I'm almost ashamed to say it since so many people hate them, but I like the art subgenre game that's been somewhat popular in the past few years (I loved Dear Esther). But TFOL doesn't do it right, and that's why I'm giving it such a low grade. I don't understand how the critics can rate it so high, call this what you will, but I think there's a small possibility that the critics were paid off, and some users jumped into the critic bandwagon (which happens pretty often around controversial games) and gave TFOL high scores to show that they weren't "too stupid to figure out the story." I understand the story, and I still think TFOL is a bad game. While playing it I could sense a fresh breath of air hiding under the badly put-together game, but until that refreshing feel surfaces, TFOL remains a complete mess. Hey, at least Blendo didn't make the character walk really slow to extend the length of the game.

In short, these could be some reasons this game is rated so high:
    •Critics paid off, users jump in bandwagon
    •People want to pretend they understand it, even if there's nothing to understand
    •Purchasers can't face the fact they got ripped off, trick themselves into thinking it's good
    •Developer needed some cash and had an incomplete prototype laying around
    •Definitely not because the game is good
  2. Mar 21, 2014
    It's impossible to explain this game at all without spoiling it, since it's only about 15 minutes long. That said, Thirty Flights of Loving helped me truly understand the idiom "read between the lines": Almost all the interesting bits happen off-screen. You are shown the bare minimum you need to figure out what happened. And you won't figure it out right away either. I had to play it twice and sleep on it before I crafted the whole story in my mind, or at least my version of it.

Like all stories, this one would be boring if told incorrectly. Thankfully, it is not.
  3. Mar 8, 2014
    I ended up enjoying it, but i can't recommend Thirty Flights of Loving, unless you carefully read about it and knows exactly what you'll get or experience. Then you can find it cool, just after you understand what it is.

My first experience was disappointing.
    Being someone who usually enjoy art games or interactive experiences, i start it thinking about a cool, deep story-driven game,
    but i found me just watching disordered short scenes of a shallow and confusing story, instead of really playing something. It ended really fast, abruptly and letting me with a "wtf?!" in mind. The graphics, lights, colors and music are really cool, but it was not enough to make me enjoy.

Then i try it again a few days later.
    Knowing what to expect, the experience was far better, and i used to enjoy it and understand it. Using the commentaries feature, i found it was a developer experience, something really personal using his experiences on gaming design and pieces he previously wanted to use in other ways.

I don't read all the comments yet, and i still having to play better the Gravity Bone bonus, who seems to have more gameplay elements, but if you're ok with all that i said before, i can recommend this experience to you, it worth your time. But i'll not recommend to everybody, mostly without that explanation about what i feel in my first contact with it.
  4. Jan 28, 2014
    If this so called game had been honest about what it was I wouldn't have to give it such a terribly low score. But the simple fact is that it promised me a unique game, yet after I had handed over my money it turned out to be a short, uninteresting, completely linear story about some heist or something. I honestly can't even remember, that's how great it was. It is more like an interactive short story than a game, but not in a good way. Interactive only means you make you character walk somewhere with your keyboard sometimes, and sometimes you click something with your mouse. You don't do these things because you want to, or because you have the option to, you do them because you must.

There is no depth to the characters, no incentive to continue other than wanting to get this the hell over with, there's no voice-acting, no text, nothing. The developers made the characters moan from time to time, that's it. All of this no doubt in an attempt to come of as "artsy".

For me, that pretty much sums up this game: arty-farty for the sake of being arty-farty. At the end of the game you get to walk around in a museum of sorts, where the devs display all the assets and explain about the creation of the game. Like you would do with something that actually deserves that extra attention. This piece of software doesn't. It feels more like a high-school project for Game Design 101 than anything else. Only thing good about it is that it is over quick.

You know what all these "professional" critics with their high scores remind me of? They remind me of people who know nothing about art, but who, when they are confronted with some questionable modern work of art which they know nothing about, frown, stroke their chin, swirl their wine, and say something like: "I really like the depth and the balance of colors", or some vague stuff like that, just to make it seem like they know what the hell is going on. They don't because there is, quite simply, nothing going on at all. Same with these critics who don't know what this game is supposed to be. "I clearly don't understand this **** but I'll give it an 8 anyway because it seems "arty" and I want to seem cultured, and I don't want to admit that I have no clue what's going on."

There's a difference between art and arty-farty, my friends. Art MOVES you. The only movement this game creates is me walking away from my pc.

1 point for simply existing, that's an achievement...I guess.

5. Jan 5, 2014
    The high scores and the low scores are probably divided by the people getting the story and the people who don't get the story. I didn't follow what the story was about. Story telling isn't about graphics but this was too less emphasize on graphics for me.
  6. Dec 24, 2013
    I can't believe I brought this game, story isn't interesting at all. And to reviews saying it put a lot of love and details in the game clearly hasn't been playing it. More of a school project...

Play The Stanley Parable that is a good game with interesting narrative. Not this...
  7. Dec 2, 2013
    If you like surreal, artsy short films you'll probably love Thirty Flights of Loving. It challenges what we perceive to be a game but unfortunately I cannot consider this as one. I want a game to be something that is thought-provoking and fun to play and if it can't be thought-provoking, a game that's simply fun would suffice. I didn't have much fun playing Thirty Flights of Loving and it was all over in a matter of minutes so I can't say I was too impressed. Expand
  8. Nov 27, 2013
    I don't get this game. It is so weird and random (Not in a good way). The gameplay is none. The only thing you do is move. THAT'S IT! The game is really bad, stupid and it just doesn't make any sense.
  9. Nov 16, 2013
    This can hardly be called a game, I would not even dare calling it a demo, because also those are longer than this piece of Critic reviews must have been ordered and paid by someone, because a normal gamer just can't evaluate this "game" at more than 0 points. The only thing you can do is to walk and talk to characters. When you get to a point by walking, this sequence ends and you appear on a totally unrelated place, and walk again. This is repeated about 30 times (I did not count), and the game is over. If I knew that beforehand, I would throw the 2 into a bin instead of buying this that would be a better investment. Expand
  10. Nov 10, 2013
    An interactive story that is whimsical, hyperactive, and over in about 15 minutes. The visuals are a step up from Blendo's free Gravity Bone, but the style, "gameplay", and storytelling haven't changed much. Lots of style and silliness without much depth. It's a $2 game that a small team has put a lot of time into though, so it's tough to complain... for me anyway. Don't go into it expecting much, and chances are you'll be entertained to a degree. Expand
  11. Nov 6, 2013
    Let me start by pointing out the difference in the user score the the critic score. It's dramatically different, isn't it? Well, there's a reason for it, which I will get back to.

I digress, I will have to join the side of the critics. This game is fantastic. The art style and overall graphics are beautiful and very well done. The story is great, but blink and you'll miss it. In terms
    of gameplay, it's basically walking, but the experience is so quick that it is almost -fun- to do it.

But here's my one minor gripe with the game, and the reason people were not happy with it.

It's short. Very, very, very, VERY short. On the first run, it takes about 15-20 minutes (I've beaten it in under 5). But that's what's so great about it. You play it once, and most people will try to get through the game to just beat it. But because it's so short, you go back and play it again, and see something you missed. And then you play it again, and there's a new detail. Sure, for 15 minutes, $5 is a bit high. But the experience is worth it. Is it perfect? No, of course not. But is it great? You're goddamn right it is.
  12. Oct 23, 2013
    [Thirty Flights of Loving Steam PC Score 9]
    A five minute Quentin Tarantino game movie an interactive movie trailer between Pumpkin and Honey Bunny; Yeah no sh*t five minutes only. Do you make games you figure out how to fit this into a game as an interlude hilarious and intense potential. Check this out (2bucks/steam)
  13. Oct 15, 2013
    The developer knew the game was going to get bashed on, this game has a very interesting take on transitioning in games, infact I wish more games took this approach. Rather than having a consistent player space where content can indefinitely be admired, the player is trusted threw the narrative with no indication when a transition will happen; creating an interesting flow of player driven direction. Many subtleties will leave your face left with a smile during the developers commentary.

This game is overlooked, and very short, but that's the point. The developer knew that many players would bash the game while leaving a very passionate niche. The game doesn't waste your time with it's very short completion time, and leaves room for re-playability with it's mind-boggling transitions and subtitles. I hope the developer doesn't read this because I haven't played it enough to completely wrap my mind around the game, but there is much to be desired.

Thirty Flights of Loving is worth your time and money if you have the ability to differentiate video games from interactive media.
  14. Jul 20, 2013
    I played through this 3 times trying to piece together what the hell happened. That's part of the intrigue of the game though. It's open to interpretation and everyone will come away with a different understanding of the events. The gameplay itself is pretty dull, but the random jumps in time keep things interesting. The game also includes a free copy of Gravity Bone which is more fun since it's more interactive. Expand
  15. Jul 16, 2013
    The 88 metascore is very misleading. I would not consider this even a game. It is a small interactive story that has nearly 0 things to interact with. The game takes around 10 minutes to finish.

If you want to PLAY a game then avoid this demo. If you want to feel artistic and look at the blocky characters while wondering what is the meaning of live and how Reservoir Dogs is the best
    movie ever then this is the right kind of entertainment for you. Expand
  16. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    This is not a game and whatever this is supposed to be I must admit I didn't find it very artsy neither.
    The story is confusing (what's with the wedding scene?) and the graphics are not so interesting.
    I don't regret the money I spent for this (less than 2€ on Steam) but I surely regret those 20 minutes I spent running it.
  17. May 23, 2013
    Thirty Flights of Loving is a game that, just like To the Moon and Kentucky Route Zero, proves how powerful the interactive medium of video games can be in telling a story. Played from a first-person view, there is virtually no traditional gameplay, aside from being able to interact with the environment and explore its nooks and crannies. The soundtrack and the sound design are great, as well as its graphical presentation. The blocky characters, the usage of color, and the varied environments all mesh together into a game that looks quite unlike any other.

But yes, there is nothing the player really does in the game, at least, not in the traditional sense. The real reason to play this game is for its story and, more specifically, the way the game presents its story. By employing the mechanics of film editing and cutting freely between events and scenes without any sort of input from the player, Thirty Flights of Loving spins the classic yarn of a heist gone horribly wrong in a wholly unique way. Its non-linearity and hectic pace is a refreshing change from the banality of most video game narratives, and the player truly has to work in order to understand everything that's happening. While the game can be completed in fifteen minutes or so, the scope and depth of the story told is one that far exceeds its actual runtime. Multiple playthroughs are not only necessary but also inevitable.

Thirty Flights of Loving is certainly not for everyone. Many players have expressed outrage or frustration at the fact that the "game" isn't really much of one at all. Brendon Chung, the creator of the game, has himself described it as "an interactive short story". Ultimately, it does not matter. Thirty Filghts of Loving is a very important game, because it makes a legitimate attempt to tap into the vast potential for video games as a narrative medium. If that sounds at all interesting to you, go play Thirty Flights of Loving. It's an experience that you won't soon forget.
  18. May 14, 2013
    I enjoyed this little roller coaster ride of a journey and it had some real high points, however I went in with high expectations based on the acclaim it had received and found the whole experience a bit lacking. There''s some beautiful moments and some really smart storytelling but it was so brief and slight an experience I'm not sure I really got a lot out of it sadly.
  19. Apr 16, 2013
    Thirty Flights of Loving is not a game in the traditional sense, and is certainly not for everyone. Your five dollars will net you a fifteen minute experiment in storytelling nothing more, nothing less. The game absolutely accomplishes what it set out to do, and successfully manages to tell an involving story (well, as involving as you can get in a little over ten minutes) with no dialogue or character text. A separate playthrough with developer commentary which I found very interesting is also included, which provides insight into the development process and what the developer intended to achieve with certain inclusions. All in all, if you're interested in the advancement of storytelling in video games, I wholeheartedly recommend this game. If you're looking for anything else, steer clear. Expand
  20. Apr 6, 2013
    There is such little game-play besides moving and occasionally pressing E. I've played point and clicks games at least most try to put in puzzles. This is a game that was better served being a animation on YouTube. Torrent, watch a YouTube video, or play it if a friend has it don't waste money on this.
  21. Mar 29, 2013
    I think the expectations of many people on this were a little askew; I knew what I was getting into, that it only had 15 minutes of playtime and was rather a short story via the medium of a video game. And thus I was not disappointed, it was an interesting story where dream and reality meshed up, a story was told but in an unconventional way, with strong pictures and without many words.

Agreed, this is not really a game. This is a short story. Or their equivalent in video games.

- Cazy
  22. Mar 22, 2013
    Normally you should beware reviews of 0 and 10, because the reviewer has an agenda or is simply being childish in his extremity. This is the first game in 25 years of gaming that I truly thought deserved a 0, and it's because it isn't a game.

What you will find in most of the high reviews is a lot of vague, flowery language used to champion the storytelling and quality of plot. I
    thought it was like 21 grams: a boring, predictable story that would have been so obvious and boring if told sequentially that they had no choice but to try and faux-art it up. So I would caution you as a reader to always look for the actual points made and examine them for content, rather than form.

Here's an example. "It's a portal to one's own imagination, the only lock on which is the limit he would impose on his own dreams--let go of all expectations to find it so much more than it first seemed." I just described a door hot glued to a solid brick wall. Not only will if take effort to remove the door, but when you do, you're still faced with a brick wall, whose function is antithetical to that of a door.

When describing a game, your first concern should be gameplay. If it isn't, you're not a gamer. You can care about other things, like plot/character, quality of voice-acting, graphics, price, etc, but gameplay is the fundamental reason why an idea becomes a game and not a movie.

A blogger put it best (and I paraphrase) that it seemed like an attempt by someone who is confused by art and assumes that others are likewise confused, to reproduce that which confuses him. It's just a heist story with characters that don't even achieve one-dimensionality. The mountebanks that tell you otherwise are responding to their ill-informed gut instincts that the game is art, and as people are given to do, they oversell it as brilliant and groundbreaking in an attempt to somehow internalize those misperceived traits. These same mental gymnastics allow some to continue support of "Indoctrination Theory" in 2013.

It's a half-story told though asynchronous set pieces separated by jump cuts. It has a kind of Diabolik era look to it, but each set piece is simply walked (or run) through with the occasional static activation of an object. In the opening scene you can grab bottles of liquor, a gun and some ammo, but you will never use them.

As I approached what ultimately was the end, I thought it was a fun way to introduce elements of the back story before launching the actual gameplay. And then it was over, 10 minutes of absolutely nothing.

I considered calling Steam and requesting them to remove it from my account, but its presence serves as an albatross around my neck and reminds me to always do my research.

Dust off your copy of Out of This World if you're old like I am, or buy it from GOG if you still have your youth.
  23. Mar 16, 2013
    This is not a game. If you're looking for anything approaching gameplay, go somewhere else. Anywhere else. Go watch someone play it on YouTube. It'll be the same experience, but you'll still have your money.
  24. Mar 10, 2013
    This should be a free download. DON'T buy it. Those are 5$ totally thrown away.
    Critics should actually help gamers to choose which game to buy and this shouldn't have gone far than a "20" average vote.
  25. Feb 26, 2013
    Thirty Flights of Loving is a first-person interactive story. The story's incredibly short, and can be experienced in about 15 minutes. The story itself is told in short, disconnected segments requiring you to fill in the blanks yourself.

30 Flights is definitely an arthouse game. It has an interesting approach to interactive storytelling that may be worth seeing, but unfortunately, the
    story it tells is unremarkable. From what I could tell, there just isn't much substance there. What's much more interesting is playing with the developer's commentary on, so you can see some of the thought that went behind the experience.

The game's prequel is also included, and while it's a longer game with more gameplay elements, it's designed clumsily, and you might be left with no idea where to go.

This game has a very niche audience, and to them, this game will be worth far more than the asking price. It wasn't for me, though, and I get the feeling that it's not for most people, especially because the price doesn't pay for much content. It's worth experiencing if you have a few extra minutes, but I wouldn't pay over a dollar for this. If this looks interesting to you, I'd recommend checking out The Stanley Parable instead.
  26. Feb 21, 2013
    This experimental title tells a short story in a unique way, similar to that of Dear Esther and The Path. Unlike the other games I mentioned, Thirty Flights of Loving is annoying to play, triggers no emotion and features no attempt to immerse the player. It is true that this game is as long as it should be, but only in the fact of telling a story. The game has plenty of pointless "gameplay" elements, annoying sound effects and confusing mechanics. The title goes for 10 minutes, for a 5 dollar "game" it is a pretty damn big rip off. 10 minutes of confusion, 0 gameplay, linear progression, pointless features and no player impact of the story begs the question of why the player was given the controls in the first place. The new scene of art inside gaming is an interesting and for the most part a good thing, but Thirty Flights of Loving takes this scene to beyond ridiculous. The whole title is basically a waste, the story told in the "game" can be told a hundred times better on paper, or in a cartoon. The whole experience of this game can be summed up in confusion, and when the end credits smack you in the face after 10 minutes, you can't help feel like you have been hypnotized, then mugged for your lunch money without realizing. Expand
  27. Feb 19, 2013
    Make sure you play the prequel to this game, Gravity Bone. It's free on the developer's site. Not hard to find if you search for it. As for this game, it's brilliant. It's more of a digital story and it's very well executed. The story is constantly progressing, and it only tells you enough info that you need to know. It leaves the audience enough room to use their imagination to fill in the blanks on the details of the story. WARNING! It took me 11 minutes to go through this! You have been warned! So it's hard for me to recommend this game since you're paying $5 for about 10 minutes. It's great, but hard to recommend people to pay money for it. Expand
  28. Jan 24, 2013
    Eh....Ok. You basically walk through an artsy story that doesn't make much sense and which leaves a lot up to interpretation. The story was not interesting or compelling to me. It also takes less than 20 minutes to complete this "game." I feel compelled to be especially harsh here, because critics have given so much praise to Thirty Flights of Loving, when I couldn't really recommend that anyone should buy this. So, you have been warned. Expand
  29. Jan 21, 2013
    I am at a loss describing why this isn't free. There is nothing about this that evokes game and even as a story it's not interesting... Check the user ratings compared to critics. This is as pretentious as it gets

Thirty Flights bets on and is transcended by, emotion. It’s part of a newly-arrived scene (fronted by the beautiful Dear Esther from Chinese Room) that attempts to blur the lines between gaming and art. You are given the tools to live a story that was written for you. Whether it will win you or not, rests completely upon your actions. [October 2012]
  2. Jan 7, 2013
    Condensed into thirteen minutes of play, Thirty Flights of Loving is a really interesting story.
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    Thirty Flights of Loving is as refreshing as it is alienating. The series of short scenes take you on a bizarre roller coaster ride, on which you unfortunately have little influence.