4.7

1. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    This is not a game and whatever this is supposed to be I must admit I didn't find it very artsy neither.
    The story is confusing (what's with the wedding scene?) and the graphics are not so interesting.
    I don't regret the money I spent for this (less than 2€ on Steam) but I surely regret those 20 minutes I spent running it.
  2. Dec 29, 2012
    I recommend it for the adventurous type, but only at a dollar or something. There are other games for puzzles and platforming. This one is about walking through a carefully crafted short story, and it's very entertaining because the story is crammed into the short form. I think the developer took a lot of time decorating the different rooms and figuring out how to show the story in an attractive fashion. I don't get the fullest out of the story because there's a lot between the lines (the bird theme that is reflected in the title) and the title crashed at the end so I had to watch the last minute on Youtube. Still, recommended for a dollar or maybe two. If you're that kind of person. Expand
  3. Dec 2, 2013
    If you like surreal, artsy short films you'll probably love Thirty Flights of Loving. It challenges what we perceive to be a game but unfortunately I cannot consider this as one. I want a game to be something that is thought-provoking and fun to play and if it can't be thought-provoking, a game that's simply fun would suffice. I didn't have much fun playing Thirty Flights of Loving and it was all over in a matter of minutes so I can't say I was too impressed. Expand
  4. Feb 26, 2013
    Thirty Flights of Loving is a first-person interactive story. The story's incredibly short, and can be experienced in about 15 minutes. The story itself is told in short, disconnected segments requiring you to fill in the blanks yourself.

30 Flights is definitely an arthouse game. It has an interesting approach to interactive storytelling that may be worth seeing, but unfortunately, the
    story it tells is unremarkable. From what I could tell, there just isn't much substance there. What's much more interesting is playing with the developer's commentary on, so you can see some of the thought that went behind the experience.

The game's prequel is also included, and while it's a longer game with more gameplay elements, it's designed clumsily, and you might be left with no idea where to go.

This game has a very niche audience, and to them, this game will be worth far more than the asking price. It wasn't for me, though, and I get the feeling that it's not for most people, especially because the price doesn't pay for much content. It's worth experiencing if you have a few extra minutes, but I wouldn't pay over a dollar for this. If this looks interesting to you, I'd recommend checking out The Stanley Parable instead.
  5. Dec 3, 2012
    The main gripe is fairly accurate, $5 for 10 minutes of entertainment is pushing it. But, if you are a fan of Dear Esther, Home, The Path, Fatale and similar, this one is up there in newness and difference. A narrative that has some lovely moments, but alas requiring little interaction by you except to push things along. Enjoy the 10 minutes and think, odd but amusing.
  6. Jan 24, 2013
    Eh....Ok. You basically walk through an artsy story that doesn't make much sense and which leaves a lot up to interpretation. The story was not interesting or compelling to me. It also takes less than 20 minutes to complete this "game." I feel compelled to be especially harsh here, because critics have given so much praise to Thirty Flights of Loving, when I couldn't really recommend that anyone should buy this. So, you have been warned. Expand
  7. Nov 26, 2012
    The pure, unfiltered weirdness of this "game" made me think of something a lonely 14-year-old modder might create out of boredom and I was annoyed by every second of the 15 minutes required to fully experience it. And yet there's no denying that it was a memorable experience. It doesn't really work as a game but I keep thinking that Chung might actually be a visionary who still hasn't found the right way to realize his ideas. Who knows what he'll surprise us with in a few years? Expand
  8. Feb 21, 2013
    This experimental title tells a short story in a unique way, similar to that of Dear Esther and The Path. Unlike the other games I mentioned, Thirty Flights of Loving is annoying to play, triggers no emotion and features no attempt to immerse the player. It is true that this game is as long as it should be, but only in the fact of telling a story. The game has plenty of pointless "gameplay" elements, annoying sound effects and confusing mechanics. The title goes for 10 minutes, for a 5 dollar "game" it is a pretty damn big rip off. 10 minutes of confusion, 0 gameplay, linear progression, pointless features and no player impact of the story begs the question of why the player was given the controls in the first place. The new scene of art inside gaming is an interesting and for the most part a good thing, but Thirty Flights of Loving takes this scene to beyond ridiculous. The whole title is basically a waste, the story told in the "game" can be told a hundred times better on paper, or in a cartoon. The whole experience of this game can be summed up in confusion, and when the end credits smack you in the face after 10 minutes, you can't help feel like you have been hypnotized, then mugged for your lunch money without realizing. Expand
  9. Apr 16, 2014
    TFOL seems to be a very controversial game when it comes to reviews, as it's a very "iffy" game, if you can even call it a game. I would call TFOL an experimentation, a prototype; a look into how storytelling can be changed. Saying that, I understand what Blendo was going for, they were attempting something new and trying to tell a story in under 20 minutes, but honestly it just didn't work. Maybe if they did something different this technique could've worked but it's just not polished enough and it feels broken or incomplete. There's even a couple random scenes that have nothing to do with the story they're trying to tell, like why do I need to know how wings work? I learned that in highschool and I didn't care then either. I just feel it's irrelevant and was simply to add a couple minutes more to the game so people can't say that it's less than 20 minutes (took me 24 minutes to complete both games (Gravity Bone and TFOL)).

What I'm getting at here is if a developer wants to make a unique game, or an artsy game, throwing a couple stylized 3D models together in a few random consecutive scenes is not the way to do it. I love art indie games, I'm almost ashamed to say it since so many people hate them, but I like the art subgenre game that's been somewhat popular in the past few years (I loved Dear Esther). But TFOL doesn't do it right, and that's why I'm giving it such a low grade. I don't understand how the critics can rate it so high, call this what you will, but I think there's a small possibility that the critics were paid off, and some users jumped into the critic bandwagon (which happens pretty often around controversial games) and gave TFOL high scores to show that they weren't "too stupid to figure out the story." I understand the story, and I still think TFOL is a bad game. While playing it I could sense a fresh breath of air hiding under the badly put-together game, but until that refreshing feel surfaces, TFOL remains a complete mess. Hey, at least Blendo didn't make the character walk really slow to extend the length of the game.

In short, these could be some reasons this game is rated so high:
    •Critics paid off, users jump in bandwagon
    •People want to pretend they understand it, even if there's nothing to understand
    •Purchasers can't face the fact they got ripped off, trick themselves into thinking it's good
    •Developer needed some cash and had an incomplete prototype laying around
    •Definitely not because the game is good
  10. Mar 21, 2014
    It's impossible to explain this game at all without spoiling it, since it's only about 15 minutes long. That said, Thirty Flights of Loving helped me truly understand the idiom "read between the lines": Almost all the interesting bits happen off-screen. You are shown the bare minimum you need to figure out what happened. And you won't figure it out right away either. I had to play it twice and sleep on it before I crafted the whole story in my mind, or at least my version of it.

Like all stories, this one would be boring if told incorrectly. Thankfully, it is not.
  11. Jan 12, 2013
    Had I paid more than $2.50, I might have been frustrated by the ridiculously small amount of content in this game and I'm pretty sure there isn't even $2.50 worth based on the quantity or the "quality" of the graphics. When I read the reviews before buying it, I thought the claims of 5-15 minutes of gameplay were the usual reviewer exaggerations, but the game is really that short! Double it because it comes with its equally short prequel, Gravity Bone. Yet, for all its brevity and infantile graphics, there's something to this game: little twists in the plot that you don't see coming and a storytelling style that feels a bit like a 1960s psychological drama. As the extremely skewed reviews show, this isn't a game for everyone. You have to come at it like a wine tasting. Sure you pay too much for a small glass, but you get a taste of something you don't get every day. If you're an aficionado of the subtle things that go into a game and not just playing the games, you'll probably get something out of it. If you're looking for a game for the sake of playing it and you want a bang for your buck, you need to look elsewhere. Expand
  12. Jul 20, 2013
    I played through this 3 times trying to piece together what the hell happened. That's part of the intrigue of the game though. It's open to interpretation and everyone will come away with a different understanding of the events. The gameplay itself is pretty dull, but the random jumps in time keep things interesting. The game also includes a free copy of Gravity Bone which is more fun since it's more interactive. Expand
  13. Jan 6, 2013
    What the hell was that ? It's not a game at all and i don't understand why peoples loves this and how it manages to makes money. I think this is the worst thing i played ever. Save yourself some money and go see a walkthrough on youtube, it's as interactive as the full game.
  14. Jan 6, 2013
    So long as you go in with the knowledge that this is a first-person short story, you'll enjoy it. The game is only 15 minutes long at most, but I believe that for that time the story is more enjoyable than many much longer games. The prequel, Gravity Bone is free so I recommend playing that first to decide whether you should spend your money on this one. Both games are Blendo Games triumphs and I look forward to more like this from the developer. Expand
  15. Mar 8, 2014
    I ended up enjoying it, but i can't recommend Thirty Flights of Loving, unless you carefully read about it and knows exactly what you'll get or experience. Then you can find it cool, just after you understand what it is.

My first experience was disappointing.
    Being someone who usually enjoy art games or interactive experiences, i start it thinking about a cool, deep story-driven game,
    but i found me just watching disordered short scenes of a shallow and confusing story, instead of really playing something. It ended really fast, abruptly and letting me with a "wtf?!" in mind. The graphics, lights, colors and music are really cool, but it was not enough to make me enjoy.

Then i try it again a few days later.
    Knowing what to expect, the experience was far better, and i used to enjoy it and understand it. Using the commentaries feature, i found it was a developer experience, something really personal using his experiences on gaming design and pieces he previously wanted to use in other ways.

I don't read all the comments yet, and i still having to play better the Gravity Bone bonus, who seems to have more gameplay elements, but if you're ok with all that i said before, i can recommend this experience to you, it worth your time. But i'll not recommend to everybody, mostly without that explanation about what i feel in my first contact with it.
  16. Oct 23, 2013
    [Thirty Flights of Loving Steam PC Score 9]
    A five minute Quentin Tarantino game movie an interactive movie trailer between Pumpkin and Honey Bunny; Yeah no sh*t five minutes only. Do you make games you figure out how to fit this into a game as an interlude hilarious and intense potential. Check this out (2bucks/steam)
  17. Feb 19, 2013
    Make sure you play the prequel to this game, Gravity Bone. It's free on the developer's site. Not hard to find if you search for it. As for this game, it's brilliant. It's more of a digital story and it's very well executed. The story is constantly progressing, and it only tells you enough info that you need to know. It leaves the audience enough room to use their imagination to fill in the blanks on the details of the story. WARNING! It took me 11 minutes to go through this! You have been warned! So it's hard for me to recommend this game since you're paying $5 for about 10 minutes. It's great, but hard to recommend people to pay money for it. Expand
  18. Aug 22, 2012
    Yes, the praise reviews are giving this game is accurate. It's a carefully made, non-linear story played through in disjointed pieces. It's usually all played through in one session. It's clever and charming. Frankly, however, the now free-to-download Gravity Bone was more engaging, and free. Try Gravity Bone, and if you LOVE it, buy this game expecting the same experience with a little more story and a little less game. Otherwise, and I'm on this side, it's not worth the $5 for the 10 minutes it offers, regardless of how funny and creative this game really is. Just watch a let's play and you'll get the exact same experience. Expand
  19. Dec 28, 2012
    This is a neat tech demo, as it would be a very good way to tell a story... but the story given is not complete. There's only half a story (and not a good one at then), then it ends after literally 15 minutes.

I would recommend this if it were free (not as good as Stanley Parable, but still cool), but my god do not pay money for this.
  20. Dec 27, 2012
    There are no dialogues, the story is out of order and it has no gameplay elements. Thirty Flights of Loving was clearly made with the purpose of making the player think of all that he sees and does in the game - and it's very competent at that, as long as the player is willing to slow down the pace and try to connect to the story and the characters. There's a great deal of art and creativity to the environments and interactions the player can make, and the music/sound itself is brilliant. The story itself is only as good as the player's imagination - if you're not a creative person, you'll definitely not enjoy this game as much as I did. Unfortunately, the game crashed to the desktop about 4 times in 2 playthroughs - that's not nice. Also, although it's evident that a lot of effort was put into it, and even though it's a unique and clever experience, I don't see this game being worth $5. So, I give it an 8/10, it seems like a fair score. Expand
  21. Apr 6, 2013
    There is such little game-play besides moving and occasionally pressing E. I've played point and clicks games at least most try to put in puzzles. This is a game that was better served being a animation on YouTube. Torrent, watch a YouTube video, or play it if a friend has it don't waste money on this.
  22. Sep 25, 2012
    Ok, the game is... hmmm... truly "special", here's what I want to say to its creators: 1) What the f**k was that?
    2) Do you consider this art or what?
    3) Oh, you even charge money for that?
    4) Shame on you, "game" creators!
  23. Mar 16, 2013
    This is not a game. If you're looking for anything approaching gameplay, go somewhere else. Anywhere else. Go watch someone play it on YouTube. It'll be the same experience, but you'll still have your money.
  24. Nov 30, 2012
    It's very indie, but there is something about Thirty Flights of Loving that I love. I'm not sure exactly what it is, to be honest. Maybe, the simple fact that so much work is put into 30 minutes of gameplay? Maybe, the livelihood of the worlds they create? Maybe, the "You wake up and see yourself sleeping" type stories? I'm not sure, but I think everyone can find something to love in this game.
  25. Sep 23, 2012
    It tells a tale so well that it can make you feel in just 30 minutes. The user review section is proving to be just as useless as any other. Please play this game knowing that it is a defiant anti-game that won't give you any great game play. It is here just to show what amazing things can be done with story telling in a first person game. It shows that games shouldn't always be about the grind but should be gripping and something to have a conversation about. Don't play looking for something easy. Expand
  26. Nov 20, 2012
    In several minutes the game had ended but i knew all of the story. Sure the game is very short but its worth it if you have cash in your pockets.
  27. Sep 6, 2012
    I feel somewhat conflicted every time I think back to my experience with this title. Engaging and intriguing, Thirty Flights of Loving is a bite sized dose of methodically and expertly crafted narrative. You'll be confused and disappointed, but also transfixed with the puzzle of riddling out what truly happened on your fifteen minute journey. Were this game free or less ridiculously priced I would give it an eight and be on my way, but such a high tag for such little 'game' cannot be ignored. Give it a go if experimental narratives fill you with glee, but seriously consider the price for value ratio if the previous statement does not apply to you. Expand
  28. May 14, 2013
    I enjoyed this little roller coaster ride of a journey and it had some real high points, however I went in with high expectations based on the acclaim it had received and found the whole experience a bit lacking. There''s some beautiful moments and some really smart storytelling but it was so brief and slight an experience I'm not sure I really got a lot out of it sadly.
  29. Jan 5, 2014
    The high scores and the low scores are probably divided by the people getting the story and the people who don't get the story. I didn't follow what the story was about. Story telling isn't about graphics but this was too less emphasize on graphics for me.

Thirty Flights bets on and is transcended by, emotion. It’s part of a newly-arrived scene (fronted by the beautiful Dear Esther from Chinese Room) that attempts to blur the lines between gaming and art. You are given the tools to live a story that was written for you. Whether it will win you or not, rests completely upon your actions. [October 2012]
  2. Jan 7, 2013
    Condensed into thirteen minutes of play, Thirty Flights of Loving is a really interesting story.
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    Thirty Flights of Loving is as refreshing as it is alienating. The series of short scenes take you on a bizarre roller coaster ride, on which you unfortunately have little influence.