4.8

1. Sep 6, 2012
    I find it hard to actually call this a game. It has point and click elements, but none of them are of any consequence or make any difference upon the outcome. Its essentially an art-house movie made of box-like characters. Its cute and has some sophistication, but it lasts 5 minutes and while you get the feeling of playing a game you are really just passing through a scene. I was atI find it hard to actually call this a game. It has point and click elements, but none of them are of any consequence or make any difference upon the outcome. Its essentially an art-house movie made of box-like characters. Its cute and has some sophistication, but it lasts 5 minutes and while you get the feeling of playing a game you are really just passing through a scene. I was at "the end" and restarted a few times, assuming I did something wrong. Its entertaining but should be free in my opinion. Expand
  2. Mar 8, 2014
    I ended up enjoying it, but i can't recommend Thirty Flights of Loving, unless you carefully read about it and knows exactly what you'll get or experience. Then you can find it cool, just after you understand what it is.

My first experience was disappointing. Being someone who usually enjoy art games or interactive experiences, i start it thinking about a cool, deep story-driven game,

My first experience was disappointing.
    Being someone who usually enjoy art games or interactive experiences, i start it thinking about a cool, deep story-driven game, but i found me just watching disordered short scenes of a shallow and confusing story, instead of really playing something. It ended really fast, abruptly and letting me with a "wtf?!" in mind. The graphics, lights, colors and music are really cool, but it was not enough to make me enjoy.

Then i try it again a few days later.
    Knowing what to expect, the experience was far better, and i used to enjoy it and understand it. Using the commentaries feature, i found it was a developer experience, something really personal using his experiences on gaming design and pieces he previously wanted to use in other ways.

I don't read all the comments yet, and i still having to play better the Gravity Bone bonus, who seems to have more gameplay elements, but if you're ok with all that i said before, i can recommend this experience to you, it worth your time. But i'll not recommend to everybody, mostly without that explanation about what i feel in my first contact with it.
  3. Jan 20, 2013
    As an artist I can understand people using 'games' as a form of artistic expression and what not but this was pushing it. In short, it is a 5 minute walk through scene. I would not even call it a game and to me it felt like they created an intro with end credits but forgot to add in the middle part. I've played 'artistic' games like Dear Esther and The Path both of which played like theAs an artist I can understand people using 'games' as a form of artistic expression and what not but this was pushing it. In short, it is a 5 minute walk through scene. I would not even call it a game and to me it felt like they created an intro with end credits but forgot to add in the middle part. I've played 'artistic' games like Dear Esther and The Path both of which played like the creators put a lot of thought and effort into an over all nice experience that made you really think about what was going on while leaving it's impression on you. However with this....'game' i walked up to the 'The end' block and seriously thought they were joking. The only impression I got left with here was complete disappointment.

the short scene it's self is rather nice but had it been really drawn out more over maybe a good hour or two, i would have been able to appreciate it more. There were games made in the 48 hour game festival more captivating and content full then this. I don't honestly believe this took more then a week to make.

Oh and the whole 'it's indie and cheap' thing does not excuse this. Just because it's an indie game doesn't mean they can make any crap they want and it's 'ok because it's indie.' I'm sorry but i am just too disappointed to be susceptible to this incredibly short story...
  4. Nov 30, 2012
    Honestly. This "game" is nothing more than a cheap way for the producer to get money. It could've easily been made into a short cartoon and posted on youtube. In fact that would've been better. At least then I wouldn't have felt so cheated afterwords. The only people who seem to like this scam are the kind of people who stare at modern art and pretend like they understand what the artistHonestly. This "game" is nothing more than a cheap way for the producer to get money. It could've easily been made into a short cartoon and posted on youtube. In fact that would've been better. At least then I wouldn't have felt so cheated afterwords. The only people who seem to like this scam are the kind of people who stare at modern art and pretend like they understand what the artist was trying convey. Just watch a play through on youtube and save yourself the time and the money.. Expand
  5. Oct 23, 2013
    [Thirty Flights of Loving Steam PC Score 9]
    A five minute Quentin Tarantino game movie an interactive movie trailer between Pumpkin and Honey Bunny; Yeah no sh*t five minutes only. Do you make games you figure out how to fit this into a game as an interlude hilarious and intense potential. Check this out (2bucks/steam)
  6. Sep 6, 2012
    I feel somewhat conflicted every time I think back to my experience with this title. Engaging and intriguing, Thirty Flights of Loving is a bite sized dose of methodically and expertly crafted narrative. You'll be confused and disappointed, but also transfixed with the puzzle of riddling out what truly happened on your fifteen minute journey. Were this game free or less ridiculously pricedI feel somewhat conflicted every time I think back to my experience with this title. Engaging and intriguing, Thirty Flights of Loving is a bite sized dose of methodically and expertly crafted narrative. You'll be confused and disappointed, but also transfixed with the puzzle of riddling out what truly happened on your fifteen minute journey. Were this game free or less ridiculously priced I would give it an eight and be on my way, but such a high tag for such little 'game' cannot be ignored. Give it a go if experimental narratives fill you with glee, but seriously consider the price for value ratio if the previous statement does not apply to you. Expand
  7. Nov 14, 2012
    I'm a proud supporter of indie games. I had some spare money lying around in my Steam wallet and I decided I'd take a gamble and get a couple games. I was not expecting to be "blown-away" by this game, but i was expecting it to be unique, interesting and fun. Most of all I was expecting to be able to enjoyably play it for at least a couple hours worth of time. How wrong and disappointed II'm a proud supporter of indie games. I had some spare money lying around in my Steam wallet and I decided I'd take a gamble and get a couple games. I was not expecting to be "blown-away" by this game, but i was expecting it to be unique, interesting and fun. Most of all I was expecting to be able to enjoyably play it for at least a couple hours worth of time. How wrong and disappointed I was. The story lasts approximately 20 minutes and there is no replayability to it. What makes the medium of art and story telling that is known as "video games" is their ability to let the user interact with the game. The level of interaction introduced in this game is dreadful; Google Earth is more interactive and it's free. I not only spent more time at the beginning just tweaking the graphics, but in the end I also enjoyed setting up my graphics more than the actual game. If you are looking for a good indie game of some sort, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Go buy something like Machinarium or LIMBO. Expand
  8. Dec 28, 2012
    This is a neat tech demo, as it would be a very good way to tell a story... but the story given is not complete. There's only half a story (and not a good one at then), then it ends after literally 15 minutes.

I would recommend this if it were free (not as good as Stanley Parable, but still cool), but my god do not pay money for this.
  9. Dec 28, 2012
    Don't bother me with your "art game". Please, I love original games like journey, to the moon, Dear Esther etc. But this is not art. This is intellectual masturbation. 10 min of nothing, 5$ less for charity.
  10. Dec 25, 2012
    This game is a crazy jumble of nothing. Its construction is sh!tty, its plot is non-existent and its characters are flat. Nothing about the content of the game moves you to play on or to feel interested in any way. You are thrown into a scene and world that has no background other than a quick run-down of your companions skills through bold text and vague jump-cut scenes which depictThis game is a crazy jumble of nothing. Its construction is sh!tty, its plot is non-existent and its characters are flat. Nothing about the content of the game moves you to play on or to feel interested in any way. You are thrown into a scene and world that has no background other than a quick run-down of your companions skills through bold text and vague jump-cut scenes which depict moments before and after a heist. Nothing is explained to you, which may have been alright had they not chosen to skip around chronologically while also leaving out key points of the plot (i.e. the game is about a heist, but you never even see that occur or participate in it). But since they did, the viewer gets jerked around and has to make sense of mundane or confusing moments that have no dialogue or text for explication. So now you're playing through a second time, wondering if there's any point at all, but all you're finding is a completely non-interactive world with a mildly interesting art style. in fact, the mildly interesting art style is the only thing that earns this title a single point. The critics write reviews saying it's good that this game doesn't hold your hand or act like a normal game- well it's not. Why don't other games base themselves entirely on jump-cuts? Because they're not avant garde enough? No. They don't do that because making a game that way wouldn't make any sense and it would rob the game of it's story and details. That is exactly what happens with TFOL. Also, what does Thirty Flights of Loving mean? Is it referencing the fact that they own a plane? That the characters are in love? Who knows! It's just a non-sense title to go right along with a non-sense game. You go into TFOL wondering what kind of experience you will get because the trailer is well constructed and the art style looks interesting, but you leave confused and annoyed because the end comes too quickly and you're still wondering what the point was. This game is basically bad sex. The only reason I see this getting a good review is that there are a handful of people who thought it was good and everyone else is too embarrassed to look stupid disagreeing with those people because they're considered "professional" opinions. This feels like the era of shock art where "artists" upset their viewers and tell them that what they've seen and experienced is both good and art. Spoiler alert: It isn't. Save yourself a few dollars and go do something enjoyable. Or if you really want, you could also pay someone to slap you in the face- that is the equivalent of what you'll be doing in buying this game anyway, only you'll actually save some time just paying for the slap. Expand
  11. Jan 6, 2013
    What the hell was that ? It's not a game at all and i don't understand why peoples loves this and how it manages to makes money. I think this is the worst thing i played ever. Save yourself some money and go see a walkthrough on youtube, it's as interactive as the full game.
  12. Nov 3, 2012
    This is more a lightly interactive short film than a game. It's packed with fun ideas, it's relatively well executed, and there's nothing else like it. But it's also very, very brief, and not quite as clever or essential as the critics have made it out to be.

It's not really worth £4, but neither is a pint of beer in Central London.
  13. Dec 3, 2012
    The main gripe is fairly accurate, $5 for 10 minutes of entertainment is pushing it. But, if you are a fan of Dear Esther, Home, The Path, Fatale and similar, this one is up there in newness and difference. A narrative that has some lovely moments, but alas requiring little interaction by you except to push things along. Enjoy the 10 minutes and think, odd but amusing.
  14. Nov 26, 2012
    The pure, unfiltered weirdness of this "game" made me think of something a lonely 14-year-old modder might create out of boredom and I was annoyed by every second of the 15 minutes required to fully experience it. And yet there's no denying that it was a memorable experience. It doesn't really work as a game but I keep thinking that Chung might actually be a visionary who still hasn'tThe pure, unfiltered weirdness of this "game" made me think of something a lonely 14-year-old modder might create out of boredom and I was annoyed by every second of the 15 minutes required to fully experience it. And yet there's no denying that it was a memorable experience. It doesn't really work as a game but I keep thinking that Chung might actually be a visionary who still hasn't found the right way to realize his ideas. Who knows what he'll surprise us with in a few years? Expand
  15. Dec 27, 2012
    Over rated. I think that best describes my experience with 30 flights of loving. It seems that you can throw anything radical at critics these days and they will have a proverbial orgy over it so they don't look unintelligent and I think the fear of looking stupid has contributed to this games undeservedly high meta critic score. if you're looking for a half hour experience you may have toOver rated. I think that best describes my experience with 30 flights of loving. It seems that you can throw anything radical at critics these days and they will have a proverbial orgy over it so they don't look unintelligent and I think the fear of looking stupid has contributed to this games undeservedly high meta critic score. if you're looking for a half hour experience you may have to repeat in order to fully understand, sure but don't expect any closure, there is a basic story that you will have to think about and look around for but nothing amazing honestly. Expand
  16. Oct 15, 2013
    The developer knew the game was going to get bashed on, this game has a very interesting take on transitioning in games, infact I wish more games took this approach. Rather than having a consistent player space where content can indefinitely be admired, the player is trusted threw the narrative with no indication when a transition will happen; creating an interesting flow of player drivenThe developer knew the game was going to get bashed on, this game has a very interesting take on transitioning in games, infact I wish more games took this approach. Rather than having a consistent player space where content can indefinitely be admired, the player is trusted threw the narrative with no indication when a transition will happen; creating an interesting flow of player driven direction. Many subtleties will leave your face left with a smile during the developers commentary.

This game is overlooked, and very short, but that's the point. The developer knew that many players would bash the game while leaving a very passionate niche. The game doesn't waste your time with it's very short completion time, and leaves room for re-playability with it's mind-boggling transitions and subtitles. I hope the developer doesn't read this because I haven't played it enough to completely wrap my mind around the game, but there is much to be desired.

Thirty Flights of Loving is worth your time and money if you have the ability to differentiate video games from interactive media.
  17. Jan 21, 2013
    I am at a loss describing why this isn't free. There is nothing about this that evokes game and even as a story it's not interesting... Check the user ratings compared to critics. This is as pretentious as it gets
  18. Apr 16, 2013
    Thirty Flights of Loving is not a game in the traditional sense, and is certainly not for everyone. Your five dollars will net you a fifteen minute experiment in storytelling nothing more, nothing less. The game absolutely accomplishes what it set out to do, and successfully manages to tell an involving story (well, as involving as you can get in a little over ten minutes) with noThirty Flights of Loving is not a game in the traditional sense, and is certainly not for everyone. Your five dollars will net you a fifteen minute experiment in storytelling nothing more, nothing less. The game absolutely accomplishes what it set out to do, and successfully manages to tell an involving story (well, as involving as you can get in a little over ten minutes) with no dialogue or character text. A separate playthrough with developer commentary which I found very interesting is also included, which provides insight into the development process and what the developer intended to achieve with certain inclusions. All in all, if you're interested in the advancement of storytelling in video games, I wholeheartedly recommend this game. If you're looking for anything else, steer clear. Expand
  19. May 23, 2013
    Thirty Flights of Loving is a game that, just like To the Moon and Kentucky Route Zero, proves how powerful the interactive medium of video games can be in telling a story. Played from a first-person view, there is virtually no traditional gameplay, aside from being able to interact with the environment and explore its nooks and crannies. The soundtrack and the sound design are great, asThirty Flights of Loving is a game that, just like To the Moon and Kentucky Route Zero, proves how powerful the interactive medium of video games can be in telling a story. Played from a first-person view, there is virtually no traditional gameplay, aside from being able to interact with the environment and explore its nooks and crannies. The soundtrack and the sound design are great, as well as its graphical presentation. The blocky characters, the usage of color, and the varied environments all mesh together into a game that looks quite unlike any other.

But yes, there is nothing the player really does in the game, at least, not in the traditional sense. The real reason to play this game is for its story and, more specifically, the way the game presents its story. By employing the mechanics of film editing and cutting freely between events and scenes without any sort of input from the player, Thirty Flights of Loving spins the classic yarn of a heist gone horribly wrong in a wholly unique way. Its non-linearity and hectic pace is a refreshing change from the banality of most video game narratives, and the player truly has to work in order to understand everything that's happening. While the game can be completed in fifteen minutes or so, the scope and depth of the story told is one that far exceeds its actual runtime. Multiple playthroughs are not only necessary but also inevitable.

Thirty Flights of Loving is certainly not for everyone. Many players have expressed outrage or frustration at the fact that the "game" isn't really much of one at all. Brendon Chung, the creator of the game, has himself described it as "an interactive short story". Ultimately, it does not matter. Thirty Filghts of Loving is a very important game, because it makes a legitimate attempt to tap into the vast potential for video games as a narrative medium. If that sounds at all interesting to you, go play Thirty Flights of Loving. It's an experience that you won't soon forget.
  20. Nov 6, 2013
    Let me start by pointing out the difference in the user score the the critic score. It's dramatically different, isn't it? Well, there's a reason for it, which I will get back to.

I digress, I will have to join the side of the critics. This game is fantastic. The art style and overall graphics are beautiful and very well done. The story is great, but blink and you'll miss it. In terms of gameplay, it's basically walking, but the experience is so quick that it is almost -fun- to do it.

But here's my one minor gripe with the game, and the reason people were not happy with it.

It's short. Very, very, very, VERY short. On the first run, it takes about 15-20 minutes (I've beaten it in under 5). But that's what's so great about it. You play it once, and most people will try to get through the game to just beat it. But because it's so short, you go back and play it again, and see something you missed. And then you play it again, and there's a new detail. Sure, for 15 minutes, $5 is a bit high. But the experience is worth it. Is it perfect? No, of course not. But is it great? You're goddamn right it is.
  21. Aug 22, 2012
    Yes, the praise reviews are giving this game is accurate. It's a carefully made, non-linear story played through in disjointed pieces. It's usually all played through in one session. It's clever and charming. Frankly, however, the now free-to-download Gravity Bone was more engaging, and free. Try Gravity Bone, and if you LOVE it, buy this game expecting the same experience with a littleYes, the praise reviews are giving this game is accurate. It's a carefully made, non-linear story played through in disjointed pieces. It's usually all played through in one session. It's clever and charming. Frankly, however, the now free-to-download Gravity Bone was more engaging, and free. Try Gravity Bone, and if you LOVE it, buy this game expecting the same experience with a little more story and a little less game. Otherwise, and I'm on this side, it's not worth the $5 for the 10 minutes it offers, regardless of how funny and creative this game really is. Just watch a let's play and you'll get the exact same experience. Expand
  22. Sep 12, 2012
    I'm a bit shocked by the high scores that critics gave this.. experiment. I will give the 'game' credit that its style is mildly charming and the story it was telling could have 'become' interesting. That is the end of my praise. It is so incredibly short that I can't believe they opted to charge money for it. I felt like someone had come in and stolen 5 dollars out of my pocket whenI'm a bit shocked by the high scores that critics gave this.. experiment. I will give the 'game' credit that its style is mildly charming and the story it was telling could have 'become' interesting. That is the end of my praise. It is so incredibly short that I can't believe they opted to charge money for it. I felt like someone had come in and stolen 5 dollars out of my pocket when the credits rolled. Also, for the very little time you're playing you have no impact on the story. It's a straight hallway where you can't even so much as walk 10 feet away from the predetermined paths.

I honestly question whether the 'experimental' part of this was the gameplay or seeing how little work they could put into a game and still get away with charging money for it.
  23. Jan 16, 2013
    This game is a total fraud and I'd like slap some sense into the Metacritics for suckering me into purchasing this game. It's not even a game. In a game, you have some control over something somewhere somehow. This is a crappy flash movie where you press "W" instead of "Play". The story is totally cliche and boring. You keep waiting for the twist, the punchline, the epiphany, theThis game is a total fraud and I'd like slap some sense into the Metacritics for suckering me into purchasing this game. It's not even a game. In a game, you have some control over something somewhere somehow. This is a crappy flash movie where you press "W" instead of "Play". The story is totally cliche and boring. You keep waiting for the twist, the punchline, the epiphany, the revelation, and then BAM, "The End". What?!? 10 minutes does not a game make. Thirty Flights of Loving is a stain on the reputation of indie games. It should be called Ninety Megabytes of Nothing. Collapse
  24. Dec 27, 2012
    This game is beyond awful. I can't believe I paid money for this. No amount of "art game" talk can cover up the fact that this isn't in any way interesting to "play" or interact with. It also crashes often.
  25. Jan 12, 2013
    Had I paid more than $2.50, I might have been frustrated by the ridiculously small amount of content in this game and I'm pretty sure there isn't even $2.50 worth based on the quantity or the "quality" of the graphics. When I read the reviews before buying it, I thought the claims of 5-15 minutes of gameplay were the usual reviewer exaggerations, but the game is really that short! DoubleHad I paid more than $2.50, I might have been frustrated by the ridiculously small amount of content in this game and I'm pretty sure there isn't even $2.50 worth based on the quantity or the "quality" of the graphics. When I read the reviews before buying it, I thought the claims of 5-15 minutes of gameplay were the usual reviewer exaggerations, but the game is really that short! Double it because it comes with its equally short prequel, Gravity Bone. Yet, for all its brevity and infantile graphics, there's something to this game: little twists in the plot that you don't see coming and a storytelling style that feels a bit like a 1960s psychological drama. As the extremely skewed reviews show, this isn't a game for everyone. You have to come at it like a wine tasting. Sure you pay too much for a small glass, but you get a taste of something you don't get every day. If you're an aficionado of the subtle things that go into a game and not just playing the games, you'll probably get something out of it. If you're looking for a game for the sake of playing it and you want a bang for your buck, you need to look elsewhere. Expand
  26. Jan 12, 2013
    The first one "Gravity Bone" was much much better. The commentary was nice but my second play through crashed near the end. I do not think I will attempt to play it again.
  27. Jan 20, 2013
    Only 15 minutes long. It's just a story, not a game. Avoid or you will be sorry. Most expensive game per minute I've ever bought. I want my GD money back, you will too.
  28. Oct 6, 2012
    One of the few times where the artsy game critics and people's voice differ greatly.
    I wouldn't recommend this game to a single friend. There's so much better out there. Not impressed at all.
  29. Nov 30, 2012
    It's very indie, but there is something about Thirty Flights of Loving that I love. I'm not sure exactly what it is, to be honest. Maybe, the simple fact that so much work is put into 30 minutes of gameplay? Maybe, the livelihood of the worlds they create? Maybe, the "You wake up and see yourself sleeping" type stories? I'm not sure, but I think everyone can find something to love in this game.
  30. Oct 6, 2012
    This is an interactive story. Not much of a game but it tells a story in an interesting way. Whilst I would recommend a play through I'm not sure it's with £3.99. Although if you have played any of the other Blendo Games' games, several of which are still freely available on their website, then it's easier to justify the big outlay for such a short game.
  31. Jan 16, 2013

Thirty Flights bets on and is transcended by, emotion. It’s part of a newly-arrived scene (fronted by the beautiful Dear Esther from Chinese Room) that attempts to blur the lines between gaming and art. You are given the tools to live a story that was written for you. Whether it will win you or not, rests completely upon your actions. [October 2012]
  2. Jan 7, 2013
    Condensed into thirteen minutes of play, Thirty Flights of Loving is a really interesting story.
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    Thirty Flights of Loving is as refreshing as it is alienating. The series of short scenes take you on a bizarre roller coaster ride, on which you unfortunately have little influence.