8.2

1. Nov 4, 2015
    Amazing puzzle platformer with nice music and simple good-looking graphics. It is really funny to play. However, it was repetitive in the end a little.
  2. Sep 8, 2015
    I typically find it better to be more critical of an indie game the second time around after the hype and the nostalgia of the game wears off. Some games like LIMBO have lost their charm with age as all the things that have made LIMBO great are now typical and lackluster. Does Thomas Was Alone suffer a similar fate? Should you care to give this game a look?

Story: Without going into

Story:

Without going into much detail, the plot of the game is simply about a group of AIs gaining sentience and dreaming of the outside world (ours). If you want to know what happens throughout the game you must pay attention to the dialogue and the introduction texts at each chapter. Similar to the art style, the game's narrative is also minimalistic and the ending will leave you lacking if you aren't interested in piecing together the story. So keep an ear open while you play and you'll get the gist of this game.

Even though the theme of the game is about friendship, it's not that PC, watered down, benign view of friendship we get in Carebears or something for kids. This game handles friendship as it should be handled; friends squabble with one another about petty stuff, they form bonds in mutual gains for each other, they learn a little about themselves with time and, eventually, they help one another because they want to help their friends, not simply for personal gain. This is the reason why I think many people enjoy the storytelling of a few blocks because the game handles the subject of friendship quite accurately to people you may encounter everyday, and lets you imagine what might those AIs look like as your friends.

Gameplay:

Calling this game a puzzle-platformer is a bit generous. The puzzles tend to be simple problems for the first few chapters, and until you get four or five blocks (chapter 3 out of 9) the game stays monotonous in getting Chris over every obstacle. The obstacle is simply getting the weakest block over to the end, and then getting everyone else in their spots. Up until the last chapter (excluding the DLC chapters), you have seven characters that have abilities (or lack thereof) that suit each personality.

Some levels offer multiple paths such as jumping on small blocks that hang off an edge without getting the larger blocks involved. For the most part, each level has one and only one solution. There are some levels that test more of your reflexes rather than your puzzle skills, but it's nothing too difficulty for any age to figure out. The only skill that might not be intuitive is using James and Thomas together; one has reverse-gravity while the other has a basic jump, and you can put these two together to move in the air without platforms. It takes a little practice to get use to that trick that's used in two levels.

One criticism I have with the game mechanics is the lack of momentum in certain situations. Some of the bigger blocks can carry the other blocks on top of each other, and as you move forward you would think the other character would try to stay above your character. This doesn't happen. The character just falls from where it is and you have to wait for the block to stay still before you can move on. Falling into water and Laura's trampoline ability are the only instances where this becomes noticeable. But it's a small thing that could've been fixed for better gameplay.

As much as this game may be easy, it's decent in its execution. The game is only around 3 hours if you know what you're doing (with the DLC included). If you want to play a dumb-puzzle platformer to relax for a few hours, this game's difficulty spikes up a little bit better towards the latter half of the game. I never felt bored, but maybe you were expecting something more challenging. If the narrative or the delivery of the dialogue doesn't interest you like Portal, then I would recommend this game for you.

The DLC adds two prequel chapters of Benjamin, Anna and, one character you later meet, Sarah. Story-wise, it's okay; it's a sad, small tale that was referenced in the main-game but it's sad it watch it unfold when you know what will happen, especially with the game's gorgeous soundtrack. Gameplay-wise, the jetpack adds more annoyances with the controls than any other character and some levels are infuriating to get through because of the delay of the jetpack.

Conclusion:

I think years from now this game will still remain a gem for many gamers. The mechanics might be too simple for some, but the presentation keeps the game as charming as it was years ago when I first listened to Thomas's ramblings. With Steam's new refund policy, I would encourage players who were hesitant before to now give the game a try. Maybe on a 50% sale at the least for the amount of gameplay you get from this game, but the game is worth your time for a thought-provoking, charming little tale of a group of quadrilaterals. So don't be such a square.
  3. May 9, 2015
    Sometimes i hear a voice in my head, and it says "Up... and to the right," and I feel inspired. This is a brilliant game, that involves truly deep characterization.
  4. Mar 22, 2015
    Thomas was Alone
    A roller Coaster of Emotion
    Thomas Was Alone is a puzzle platforming game The first half of the game really tugs on your heart strings as characters are being introduced, As youre getting smacked with real life metaphors, it just punches your right in the gut, but after the initial introductions the narration and story feels stale, leaving you with only the experience
    Thomas was Alone
    A roller Coaster of Emotion
    Thomas Was Alone is a puzzle platforming game
    As youre getting smacked with real life metaphors, it just punches your right in the gut, but after the initial introductions the narration and story feels stale, leaving you with only the experience of the games world
    Disappointingly though there isn’t too much to experience.
    The main objective to the game is to get each character to their shaped portal, you do this by simple platforming and team work.
    There are the occasional really neat levels, but for the most part they are bland, colorless, boring, and offer no challenge.
    I was flying through most of the game, it got really boring and tedious fast.
    The only thing that kept me going was my love for the story, I cared about these squares and rectangles,
    You are introduced to 7 initial characters that each have their own mechanic to them such as inversion, doubles jumps, and floating.. All feeling equally important to the overall level progression.
    But as I said earlier the story gets out of hand and feels jumbled by the 6th world out of 10.
    I was hoping it would pick back up again, but they felt the urge to introduce even more characters rather than give a satisfying ending or conclusion for the previous characters.
    There are 100 levels in total in Thomas was alone, 2 collectibles in each of the 10 worlds to find, and a cute story and idea,
    Id recommend a play through only to experience the narrative, who knows you may appreciate the 2nd half of the game, I personally didn’t
    There isn’t much actual game here though, no risk, no reward.
    You can get through most levels on aggressive instinct rather than sitting back and thinking.
    For what it is
    Puzzle Platformer 7/10
    Overall: 7.5/10
  5. Jan 17, 2015
    Thomas Was Alone is what I believe to be the perfect game to start a non-gamer on, or to represent how good platforming games are these days.

You'll start out as Thomas, a curious red rectangle which is meant to represent a rogue bit of AI. As you progress through the levels, a smooth voice will narrate what Thomas' thoughts and surroundings are, giving a relaxing feel of someone just roaming about, guided by a sense of curiosity. Gradually, you'll meet (and be able to play as) many different characters, all personified with names.

It is the interactions of these shapes, told solely through the narrator, that gives this game heart. Who'd have thought that you could be rapt in the interactions of such simple quadrilateral and monochromatic shapes? They all seem to represent a different mental state; Thomas, the optimistic observer; John, the love-struck grump; and Laura, the cautious outsider, to name a few.

It's also pretty funny at times, with humour that sometimes breaks the fourth wall.

Soundtracks are incredibly important to me, as a great one can ensure you're fully immersed in the game, putting in as much emotional investment as you can. Gladly, Thomas Was Alone perfectly captures an environment that ranges from the serene, to the fast-paced. Apt music at every stage.

For the completionist, there's also additional challenges, mostly involving reaching difficult places, that can squeeze a bit of replay-ability out of you. Unfortunately, once you've had one play-through, there's not much else cause to boot it up again.

That being said, it is a game that must exist in your Library, because what it does, it does extremely well.
  6. Jul 16, 2014
    Bad graphics that are literally just rectangles moving around. Super generic platforming. Very short. These all make for a terrible game. Having a narrator doesn't magically turn a terrible game into a good one despite what everyone seems to think.
  7. Jul 4, 2014
    A beautiful little game. Takes what the first Portal taught us and did that. Great concept. Flawless gameplay. Really good puzzles. Beautiful narration. Top voice talent! A+
  8. Jun 10, 2014
    Uno de los juegos de plataformas más bonitos e interesante de los últimos años, sobre todo por la pureza de las mecánicas y de los gráficos. Además gestiona muy bien la historia subyacente. Vale la pena comprarlo.
  9. May 24, 2014
    These types of games, strategy games and choice and consequence are those games that I call true games. Thomas Was Alone shows that you don't need an insane budget, or over a hundred people to work on it.

The story is very simple, but still stands a lot much stronger than most games these days. It's incredible what sort of story it's possible to make through the use of a few rectangles and jumping. It's a game about friendship and trusting eachother, and is definitively a memorable experience for any gamer who is eager to play what I like to call "Video Games".
  10. May 15, 2014
    This game is truly a masterpiece. The greatest 2D game ever made. The story just pulls you in and makes you feel emotions that no other game can. To give Thomas Was Alone anything but 10 would be a travesty to the gaming world.
    Also, this is an easy game to get 100% in if you are into trophies.
  11. May 4, 2014
    Thomas Was Alone is a work of art, tbh. No, it's not incredibly difficult, but it is a delightful challenge. The game's biggest successes are making you care about a group of rectangles, making you see them as people with desires and personalities, jealousies and insecurities. Secondly, the score. I've been listening to this score for days straight. A successful score is one that doesn'tThomas Was Alone is a work of art, tbh. No, it's not incredibly difficult, but it is a delightful challenge. The game's biggest successes are making you care about a group of rectangles, making you see them as people with desires and personalities, jealousies and insecurities. Secondly, the score. I've been listening to this score for days straight. A successful score is one that doesn't distract you from what you're doing or watching, but enhances it and puts you deeper into it. Housden's score does exactly that. This game, while not particularly difficult or complex, is an absolute joy to play. Expand
  12. Mar 20, 2014
    This game proves you don't need 3d, good graphics or an open world to make a decent story and gameplay. Although the puzzles are rather simple, the story left me cringing, although it was just a bit misleading. This is a great game to play while waiting for a release, since it's very short but satisfying. Highly recommended!
  13. Mar 14, 2014
    This game is minimalist and as near perfection as I can imagine.

This game is minimalist and as near perfection as I can imagine.

You control several blocks in a solid and fun puzzle-type game, but the developer did not stop there. No, each block was given specific abilities, and a specific character. The game quickly starts as "Thomas was alone" but quickly Thomas (the little red rectangle) has friends (other colourful blocky shapes), and the friends must help each other. And on top of that, the game was also given a charming narration and story told simply and clearly by the wonderful voice actor Danny Wallace

I have never before felt emotionally attached to little blocks. And I'm not the only one: If you watch online reviews, you will hear many reviewers getting emotional about the little rectangles, and calling them by name.

The soundtrack sets the perfect mood, I found myself listening to it for long periods just enjoying it.. And as the game neared the finale, the music perfectly matches the mood.

This is a master class in how the right soundtrack and voice acting can take a good game and make it magnificent. Other, bigger budget titles, have much to learn from this small game.

So stop reading this review and go buy Thomas Was Alone. It is a masterpiece.
  14. Mar 12, 2014
    A great puzzle platformer. Beautiful graphics and perhaps the most attached one could ever get to quadrilaterals. But yes great fun and well worth it if you've got some spare cash.
  15. Jan 30, 2014
    This game is over-hyped. Granted i haven't played it through(only halfway) but still, it was simply too frustrating and boring. The movement of the figures is clumsy at best and the gameplay is quite repetetative. Its to highly priced for the amount of playtime you get. You'll get 2-3 hours of irritating play for 8€ which is quite poor compared to other indie games. The graphics are smoothThis game is over-hyped. Granted i haven't played it through(only halfway) but still, it was simply too frustrating and boring. The movement of the figures is clumsy at best and the gameplay is quite repetetative. Its to highly priced for the amount of playtime you get. You'll get 2-3 hours of irritating play for 8€ which is quite poor compared to other indie games. The graphics are smooth and so is the storytelling but these factors alone does not make a good game. Expand
  16. Jan 19, 2014
    If your looking for a fiendishly challenging platformer Thomas was alone is not the game your looking for this game is about the journey and narrative that is expertly and humorously narrated by Danny Wallace supported with and awesome soundtrack and a simple by effective graphical & fun level design makes Thomas was Alone a very good indie game too bad the game is quite short.
  17. Dec 28, 2013
    Messed up on my original review, can't be bothered to rewrite the whole thing, so let me summarize.
    1. Worth 10$.
    2. Gameplay is simple, keeps you occupied but not too occupied. 3. The storyline is what makes the game, without it this game would barely survive at a price of $2.49. If you have anything close to resembling a heart inside that icy shell of a rib cage, this game is goddamn
    1. Worth 10$.
    2. Gameplay is simple, keeps you occupied but not too occupied.
    3. The storyline is what makes the game, without it this game would barely survive at a price of $2.49. If you have anything close to resembling a heart inside that icy shell of a rib cage, this game is goddamn worth it.
  18. Dec 1, 2013
    This is one of the indie games that a lot of people were recommending me. Once I got to play it through it all, I found it to be a very casual, funny indie title all throughout. Sure, the puzzles may not be as challenging as other puzzle games, but it has a great soundtrack, fun level designs and as previously mentioned, it's funny. The only downside is that it could have been longer. YouThis is one of the indie games that a lot of people were recommending me. Once I got to play it through it all, I found it to be a very casual, funny indie title all throughout. Sure, the puzzles may not be as challenging as other puzzle games, but it has a great soundtrack, fun level designs and as previously mentioned, it's funny. The only downside is that it could have been longer. You can beat this in 3-4 hours. But at least it's longer than Portal. 9/10 Expand
  19. Nov 28, 2013
    Pros:- Minimalist design looks awesome
    - Great character development
    - A litte addictive because you want to -Very interesting and cool narrative. It's certainly a superb way to tell a story; Cons: but in the paper the story is just not that good - Boring and easy puzzles, which is where you spend most of your attention. I just find myself wanting the puzzles to end fast so I
    Pros:- Minimalist design looks awesome
    - Great character development
    - A litte addictive because you want to

Cons: but in the paper the story is just not that good
    - Boring and easy puzzles, which is where you spend most of your attention. I just find myself wanting the puzzles to end fast so I could know more about the story
    - No replay value
    - Controls could be better
  20. Oct 19, 2013
    After finishing this game for the third time, I finally accept I was wrong when I thought this was a very easy, short, lazy game. I was very wrong. So wrong that I will go and start it a fourth time. Be right back
  21. Sep 29, 2013
    Loved this. If you're looking for a challenging platformer jam packed with content, this isn't it. But what it does do is tell an amazing story; the characters' personalities are well written and the narration is fantastic.
    You will absolutely want to keep going as soon as you get into it, which happens very fast.
    I do think that whilst the puzzles are very refreshing and not

I do think that whilst the puzzles are very refreshing and not repetitive at all, not many were very challenging, and the whole game is quite short. I'd love to see a sequel though.
  22. Sep 15, 2013
    Thomas was alone.....is a great game. Great puzzle platformer with a lot of different maps and levels. The good part of it is the atmosphere. One of the greatest atmosphere in a puzzle game I've seen so far. A unique piece and unique indie game with a great narration.
  23. Sep 11, 2013
    Thomas was alone has become my "go-to" example of an absolutely brilliant game that relies only on two aspects, fun puzzles and excellent story telling. When these two elements combine so well as they have in this game, it puts many triple A games to shame. Graphics wise, the game uses a minimalist style with squares and rectangles to represent the playable characters, but this is in noThomas was alone has become my "go-to" example of an absolutely brilliant game that relies only on two aspects, fun puzzles and excellent story telling. When these two elements combine so well as they have in this game, it puts many triple A games to shame. Graphics wise, the game uses a minimalist style with squares and rectangles to represent the playable characters, but this is in no way a bad thing. The art style is pleasant and charming and colorful. With narration by Danny Wallace (who won a BAFTA for this role), the squares and rectangles become more than just shapes. They feel like actual human beings, that you actually care about. When a game can make me care more about simplistic shapes than fully animated humans in say Battlefield, then that game has done something right. While its a short game, you will laugh, cry, and feel a profound warmth and satisfaction when its over. I love this game. 10/10 Expand
  24. Sep 9, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone is like a revelation. The feeling you get when someone tells you something that blows your mind. Like when Copernicus showed everyone the Earth revolved around the Sun. This game is similar.

The main highlight in this game does not lie in its gameplay, although it does have tight controls and interesting puzzles that keep you interested. Thomas Was Alone achieves the score it has achieved because of the remarkable storytelling, and how a simple narration by a splendid voice actor can give birth to so many three-dimensional characters that you genuinely care about as you're taken through the story. It's truly an experience to have and one you won't forget.

But, like any revelation, if you tell anyone that the Earth revolves around the Sun today, it won't blow their mind again. At most, it may remind us of how grateful we are that we've evolved beyond that. Point is that the replay value in this game is kind of slim. It is a little fun to return back and say hello to the characters you've been introduced to once again and maybe try to grab some secrets you missed on the first run around, but it's not something that'll have you hooked forever.

Bottom Line: Thomas Was Alone is a game you can really sink your teeth into if you love stories and character development. It won't retain replayability, but it still gets a recommendation for the wonderful experience your first time around.
  25. Sep 8, 2013
    This game is one of the best I have ever played and is a true landmark in the field of story-telling through games, despite the fact all the characters are quadrilaterals. Firstly, it looks great the environment and characters are about as simple as you get now but it works and it's one of the few games which at any point you could take a screenshot and say "wow". The level design isThis game is one of the best I have ever played and is a true landmark in the field of story-telling through games, despite the fact all the characters are quadrilaterals. Firstly, it looks great the environment and characters are about as simple as you get now but it works and it's one of the few games which at any point you could take a screenshot and say "wow". The level design is clever and gives you some interesting puzzles which work well with your ability to switch characters and compensate for some of their flaws. The main part of the game has got to be the story, every character has their own issues and personality which make you become attached to them, all of them go through some amazing character development. The plot itself is interesting and is used to enhance the character development and immerse the player further, narrated by a voice that challenges Morgan Freeman: it doesn't get much better. The one flaw with the game is it's very short taking only 2 hours or so to complete, however, it's not surprising considering it's an independent game and it's forgiven through its amazing characters whom I will never forget. Expand
  26. Sep 5, 2013
    Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful is what I will always say about this game. Like many people are saying, this game is not at all challenging, the puzzles are quite easy once you learn the core mechanics as each puzzle somewhat follows the same structure as a previous level you may have already completed. So why would I give this game a 10 out of 10? Because not only was this aBeautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful is what I will always say about this game. Like many people are saying, this game is not at all challenging, the puzzles are quite easy once you learn the core mechanics as each puzzle somewhat follows the same structure as a previous level you may have already completed. So why would I give this game a 10 out of 10? Because not only was this a game I can sit down, play and enjoy after a stressful tiresome day, but narration and story helps push this game to be one of the greatest indie games I have ever played, the story is beyond charming, although it may not have made me burst out laughing, the humor allowed me to smile as I appreciated each joke, each tale, each character. If you want an action packed exploding difficult puzzle game, this is definitely not for you. If you are someone who wants to play a relaxing game with a beautiful soundtrack which is perfectly integrated into the game with beautiful characters then this is 100% for you. Please do not be put of because the characters are mere shapes, these characters have more personality than many triple A titles I have played. This game is worth the support, and I want to thank whoever made this game a million times. Just beautiful. Expand
  27. Sep 4, 2013
    Worth playing for the quality of the narration. Graphics are minimalistic throughout the game, there's absolutely nothing remarkable about them. The gameplay is standard-to-innovative puzzle platforming. Far from the most exciting gameplay I've played this year. Many segments seem like filler, included to make the story work. The story was good for a video game. I didn't finish the game,Worth playing for the quality of the narration. Graphics are minimalistic throughout the game, there's absolutely nothing remarkable about them. The gameplay is standard-to-innovative puzzle platforming. Far from the most exciting gameplay I've played this year. Many segments seem like filler, included to make the story work. The story was good for a video game. I didn't finish the game, but the story didn't involve me as much as expected. Maybe a second, full playthrough will reveal some quality I've missed. Slightly above mediocre game, albeit impressively original in some ways. Expand
  28. Aug 28, 2013
    This is an excellent indie game. It outshines other games by its innovation soundtrack and so many more things. Its a story about colourful rectangles but every one of them has personality. This game portraits rectangles as real human beings with human-like feelings. Its not just a game about rectangles. Its a game about friendship, bravery, love, and so much more
  29. Aug 27, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone is a very simple game with a solid narrative and very good voice acting on the part of the narrator. Unfortunately, the game itself is extremely simple, with later levels failing to really live up to their potential, and the game is very short, a mere three hours long and if it were any longer it would be bad indeed.
    The game is a very reasonable use of your time, but
    The game is a very reasonable use of your time, but you should pay a price commensurate with the idea that you will play it once, for about three hours, then never play it again once you have played it, there is no reason to ever play it again.
  30. Aug 27, 2013
    What should i say! If you are bored and you are looking for a good game than play TWA. Great story, funny, and i think it is like an addiction! Help me bros can't stop playing
  31. Mar 24, 2013
    Leading this fellowship of square and rectangles, each with their unique skill and character, through the 90 levels was certainly a fascinating video-game experience. Loved the visuals and the soundtrack. Simple and captivating storytelling. Although the game mechanics gets repetitive soon and the puzzle are honestly too easy for an average gamer, a really positive impression, definitelyLeading this fellowship of square and rectangles, each with their unique skill and character, through the 90 levels was certainly a fascinating video-game experience. Loved the visuals and the soundtrack. Simple and captivating storytelling. Although the game mechanics gets repetitive soon and the puzzle are honestly too easy for an average gamer, a really positive impression, definitely worth the money. Collapse

1. Aug 29, 2013
    Simple, straightforward and brilliant indie game. Pick it up at a bargain, or even pay full price; it is worth every penny. So well executed - a definite must play for any and everyone.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    We’ve seen several games this year past e.g. Fez, Spec Ops: The Line, which can truly be said to have advanced the medium, and I wholeheartedly include Thomas Was Alone in that group.
  3. Feb 19, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone’s greatest strengths are in its storytelling and character. In this it fully exceeds, keeping me playing past the point of growing over familiar and dreary of the oft-repeated mechanical themes. But due to this it can be expected that many who start the adventure will never finish it, though, which is certainly a shame.