8.1

1. Dec 17, 2012
    It's only 4 hours in length
    it's not particularly challenging it's not a graphical powerhouse
    it's one of the most charming & engrossing gaming experiences I have all year
  2. Jan 21, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone shows what good narrative and story can do, I found these colorful blocks to have more personality than most AAA video game protagonists. The puzzles were interesting though a little on the easy side, each block has its own unique skills and by utilizing each blocks abilities you get all the blocks to the exit portals. There were a few times in the game that I had to stopThomas Was Alone shows what good narrative and story can do, I found these colorful blocks to have more personality than most AAA video game protagonists. The puzzles were interesting though a little on the easy side, each block has its own unique skills and by utilizing each blocks abilities you get all the blocks to the exit portals. There were a few times in the game that I had to stop and let the narrator finish before progressing of I'd end up solving the level before he got done talking and miss the charm of the game. Overall it's a fun game and I found it to be worth my money. Expand
  3. Apr 12, 2013
    Story and character are the name of the game with this indie platformer. There are some fun game play elements, but none that haven't been done before. Its rare that a game can create character with no more than narration and a oblong... and make you tear up over some rectangles.
  4. Dec 29, 2012
    For a bunch of quadrilaterals, Thomas and friends have an awful lot of personality. Each character has different traits and, through excellent narration, very varied personalities. All without any more distinguishing features than the lengths of their sides and their colours.

This is surely the biggest success of the game - to make you care about a bunch of otherwise "boring old" shapes.

Gameplay itself is a lot of fun. A few tricky areas punctuate an otherwise simple selection of puzzles, each designed to introduce you to a new dynamic by way of a new character. You will explore each of their interactions with each other and with the environment as you guide them to the goal. They will need to work together to overcome the varied hazards in their way.

The story grips you and urges you to push on to the end, with some clever twists throughout as the guys learn about the world around them and their place in it.

Special mention should go to the soundtrack too - surely a masterpiece of atmosphere, perfectly finishing an all-round polished game.

It should also be added that - judging by his comments on Twitter and the game's Steam forum, the developer is incredibly humble and proud of his achievement - as well he should be. All in all this is a perfect example to support the argument that videogames ARE art. This guy LOVES his creation, and made it for all the right reasons.

p.s. Claire's my favourite.
  5. Aug 18, 2013
    The Pros:
    -Excellent voice acting and music
    -Graphics and platforming physics are well done -The puzzles are generally not frustrating -You can buy it dirt cheap The Cons -It felt a little short. I know it's an indie game but I felt like we spent a lot of time getting to know the characters and then it just ends suddenly without a lot of resolution. -More could have been done
    The Pros:
    -Excellent voice acting and music
    -Graphics and platforming physics are well done
    -The puzzles are generally not frustrating
    -You can buy it dirt cheap

The Cons
    -More could have been done with it.

For the price I'd definitely recommend it.
  6. Jan 19, 2014
    If your looking for a fiendishly challenging platformer Thomas was alone is not the game your looking for this game is about the journey and narrative that is expertly and humorously narrated by Danny Wallace supported with and awesome soundtrack and a simple by effective graphical & fun level design makes Thomas was Alone a very good indie game too bad the game is quite short.
  7. Sep 8, 2013
    This game is one of the best I have ever played and is a true landmark in the field of story-telling through games, despite the fact all the characters are quadrilaterals. Firstly, it looks great the environment and characters are about as simple as you get now but it works and it's one of the few games which at any point you could take a screenshot and say "wow". The level design isThis game is one of the best I have ever played and is a true landmark in the field of story-telling through games, despite the fact all the characters are quadrilaterals. Firstly, it looks great the environment and characters are about as simple as you get now but it works and it's one of the few games which at any point you could take a screenshot and say "wow". The level design is clever and gives you some interesting puzzles which work well with your ability to switch characters and compensate for some of their flaws. The main part of the game has got to be the story, every character has their own issues and personality which make you become attached to them, all of them go through some amazing character development. The plot itself is interesting and is used to enhance the character development and immerse the player further, narrated by a voice that challenges Morgan Freeman: it doesn't get much better. The one flaw with the game is it's very short taking only 2 hours or so to complete, however, it's not surprising considering it's an independent game and it's forgiven through its amazing characters whom I will never forget. Expand
  8. Jun 2, 2013
    I absolutely loved this game. It's so simple. yet so moving. There is just this emotion in the game that expands as you progress through each level, and I wanted to keep solving each level so I could I learn about what happens to each character, what happened in their past, what their hopes and dreams were.
    The game wasn't long, and I really wanted it to be, I really wanted to keep
    The game wasn't long, and I really wanted it to be, I really wanted to keep playing and playing, to just keep staying inside this amazing story.
    But I had no problems with the game, no glitches, no boring sections. One of my favourite games this year. 10/10 from me
  9. Jun 1, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone is a puzzle-platformer where you control a bunch of rectangles and get them through each level. The platforming is pretty well done, but the magic of this game is in the story and the characters. Each of the rectangles is an AI running through a maze, each with a different personality and different jumping physics, and the story involving this group of rectangles is reallyThomas Was Alone is a puzzle-platformer where you control a bunch of rectangles and get them through each level. The platforming is pretty well done, but the magic of this game is in the story and the characters. Each of the rectangles is an AI running through a maze, each with a different personality and different jumping physics, and the story involving this group of rectangles is really very engaging.

The gameplay is well designed, but experienced players won't find too much of a challenge. I was able to beat this game with all achievements in under 4 hours. The graphics are really simple, but the aesthetic is nice enough. The music is very nice, and the narration is entertaining.

This is a neat little indie game, and it was worth the time I invested. I do think the game was a little overhyped from I saw, though... this game is good and it's worth playing, but it's not a masterpiece. It's priced at $10, and I'd say it's worth it, but I'd personally wait for a sale.
  10. May 1, 2013
    First of all, I think it's not a puzzle game, but a story-telling game. Gameplay is unpolished as in almost all small indie-games. Sometimes it becomes repetitive, sometimes puzzles are too flat. But I gave it 9/10, because "Thomas Was Alone" shows how a story can be told IN the game, not FOR the game.
  11. Jun 23, 2013
    A very cleaver and fun game with a good story and a delightful narration. It doesn't take very long to complete, but it is definitely an experience worth checking out for yourself.
  12. Sep 5, 2013
    Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful is what I will always say about this game. Like many people are saying, this game is not at all challenging, the puzzles are quite easy once you learn the core mechanics as each puzzle somewhat follows the same structure as a previous level you may have already completed. So why would I give this game a 10 out of 10? Because not only was this aBeautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful is what I will always say about this game. Like many people are saying, this game is not at all challenging, the puzzles are quite easy once you learn the core mechanics as each puzzle somewhat follows the same structure as a previous level you may have already completed. So why would I give this game a 10 out of 10? Because not only was this a game I can sit down, play and enjoy after a stressful tiresome day, but narration and story helps push this game to be one of the greatest indie games I have ever played, the story is beyond charming, although it may not have made me burst out laughing, the humor allowed me to smile as I appreciated each joke, each tale, each character. If you want an action packed exploding difficult puzzle game, this is definitely not for you. If you are someone who wants to play a relaxing game with a beautiful soundtrack which is perfectly integrated into the game with beautiful characters then this is 100% for you. Please do not be put of because the characters are mere shapes, these characters have more personality than many triple A titles I have played. This game is worth the support, and I want to thank whoever made this game a million times. Just beautiful. Expand
  13. Dec 1, 2013
    This is one of the indie games that a lot of people were recommending me. Once I got to play it through it all, I found it to be a very casual, funny indie title all throughout. Sure, the puzzles may not be as challenging as other puzzle games, but it has a great soundtrack, fun level designs and as previously mentioned, it's funny. The only downside is that it could have been longer. YouThis is one of the indie games that a lot of people were recommending me. Once I got to play it through it all, I found it to be a very casual, funny indie title all throughout. Sure, the puzzles may not be as challenging as other puzzle games, but it has a great soundtrack, fun level designs and as previously mentioned, it's funny. The only downside is that it could have been longer. You can beat this in 3-4 hours. But at least it's longer than Portal. 9/10 Expand
  14. Apr 27, 2013
    These are the kind of games I like to treasure when I have the opportunity to come across them. Thomas Was Alone is not so much about challenging puzzles or platforming as it is about putting a smile on your face. While the idea and graphics were simple, having various shapes and sizes to use to get from the beginning of a level to the end, what stood out is that the narration gave eachThese are the kind of games I like to treasure when I have the opportunity to come across them. Thomas Was Alone is not so much about challenging puzzles or platforming as it is about putting a smile on your face. While the idea and graphics were simple, having various shapes and sizes to use to get from the beginning of a level to the end, what stood out is that the narration gave each block it's own personality, ans at one point or another these personalities were used to create fun little stories about the interactions between each block.
    This narration is obviously the highest point of the game to me, as sitting along side the music and sound effects create such a relaxing atmosphere. However the platforming and puzzle salving themselves have yet to be very much of a challenge (granted, I'm not too far into the game as I write this). At a few points the puzzles even can become a little off-putting, as you will have to repeat certain patterns with the blocks over and over in order to, say, climb a stair case.
    So while the game play may not have me squinting at my screen in contemplation like Braid had, the atmosphere, story (if you could call it that), and the easiness of the controls makes the game into a very relaxing, light-hearted experience.
  15. Jan 4, 2013
    brought a tear to my eye, this is my game of 2012, like portal condensed into a wonderful, beautiful little biscuit of awesome. The way the story is told, the amazing music and the clever puzzles make this an absolute must play.(Claire is the best!)
  16. Jun 4, 2013
    An almost perfect composition of music, character, subtle visuals, wry humour and a surprisingly engaging and well told story. As a whole it's bordering on genius. The soundtrack will stay with you and is enjoyable outside of the game.
  17. Jul 17, 2013
    I just finished Thomas was Alone. For those that don't have this yet, you should really get it. The sound track is amazing, the game play is so fun and never gets repetitive, and the characters (although I thought of them as just shapes in the start) develop over the story in a wonderful way. I found myself cheering for love, gasping when they were in trouble and cheering as I neared theI just finished Thomas was Alone. For those that don't have this yet, you should really get it. The sound track is amazing, the game play is so fun and never gets repetitive, and the characters (although I thought of them as just shapes in the start) develop over the story in a wonderful way. I found myself cheering for love, gasping when they were in trouble and cheering as I neared the end. This game hit the emotional chord that I can't even remember the last time a movie did..

Why? Because they aren't just shapes. They're people. They're dreams. They're family that we all know and love. Goddamnit, if you haven't gotten this or played it yet, three dollars during the steam sale will not account for the amount of joy you'll get out of this. The last time I felt this good playing and finishing a game was with the original Portal before anyone knew what it was about.
  18. Nov 18, 2012
    The wit of portal in a puzzle based platformer. Narration is great, you will "Feel" for your little blocky avatars. It is easy to support a game like this especially when upcoming lone developers create it.
  19. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is absolutely amazing. Fun puzzle platforming, an endearing minimalist art style, fantastic music, a spectacular story, and great characters and character development. This game is one of my favorite games of 2012.
  20. Jan 1, 2013
    this game is beautifully, not in its graphics but in its music and charter development which creates an all around beautiful feel for the game. I would strongly suggest trying it out
  21. Dec 23, 2012
    This game's storyline is like a reincarnation of Douglas Adams. I found myself smiling through the whole game. The puzzles are easy to understand and they make you want to keep solving them to get more of the story.
  22. Aug 28, 2013
    This is an excellent indie game. It outshines other games by its innovation soundtrack and so many more things. Its a story about colourful rectangles but every one of them has personality. This game portraits rectangles as real human beings with human-like feelings. Its not just a game about rectangles. Its a game about friendship, bravery, love, and so much more
  23. Jul 4, 2014
    A beautiful little game. Takes what the first Portal taught us and did that. Great concept. Flawless gameplay. Really good puzzles. Beautiful narration. Top voice talent! A+
  24. Jan 1, 2013
    Absolute genius.

This is probably one of the more refreshing titles, similar to Limbo in my mind. It is in it's own right a very beautiful game, ranging from background music, to the hilarious narration. When you break it down, it's just blocks and it shows that fancy graphics don't always make for a good game. Buy this game.
  25. Jun 3, 2013
    Really more of an atmospheric platformer than a puzzler, Thomas is an utterly charming game. The narration brings Douglas Adams to mind, or possibly the Flatland books. Not a terribly long or difficult game, but a wonderful experience.
  26. Feb 1, 2013
    "Thomas was Alone" is revolutionary; and in the right way. It tears and strips down the modern gaming make-up and gives a "what if?" on the path of games. With brilliant narration and character lovability (which are litteraly squares and rectangles) Thomas was Alone proves a fantastic and worthwhile game and path; Now all that's left is to go further down it.
  27. Oct 19, 2013
    After finishing this game for the third time, I finally accept I was wrong when I thought this was a very easy, short, lazy game. I was very wrong. So wrong that I will go and start it a fourth time. Be right back
  28. Apr 2, 2013
    A perfect example of how narrative can enrich any game, Thomas Was Alone is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. Its great strength is how it uses game play to flesh out its characters and its narrative, something several reviewers have said that they have never experienced as well in a game. Several users have complained about the lack of challenge, but to my mind, theA perfect example of how narrative can enrich any game, Thomas Was Alone is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. Its great strength is how it uses game play to flesh out its characters and its narrative, something several reviewers have said that they have never experienced as well in a game. Several users have complained about the lack of challenge, but to my mind, the challenge is perfectly weighted. Some of the levels are genuinely intricate and require hard thought, but even in these the game never punishes you too hard for failure and so gives you a constant feeling of progression, even if you get stuck on a level for a while. This is NOT a puzzle game you play to test your mind; this is a puzzle game you play to test your emotions.

The game reaches its dramatic high a little before it finishes, and occasionally the last few levels lack the enjoyment and wonder that the rest of the game brings, but Thomas Was Alone is still one of the best four hours you can spend playing a video game, and at £5.99 is an absolute bargain.
  29. Apr 14, 2013
    Thomas was alone is a beautiful game. Narration is the best I've seen in any game since Bastion, and Bithell manages to make the quadrilaterals have more character and individuality than your average human video game hero. The atmosphere is great, and the music is interesting and compelling but never becomes distracting. Although the graphical concept is simple, great lighting andThomas was alone is a beautiful game. Narration is the best I've seen in any game since Bastion, and Bithell manages to make the quadrilaterals have more character and individuality than your average human video game hero. The atmosphere is great, and the music is interesting and compelling but never becomes distracting. Although the graphical concept is simple, great lighting and appropriate colors help to pull it off, and the game looks fantastic. Later levels can, at times, become frustrating and tedious, but this is true of almost any puzzle game. Overall, this is a fantastic title that definitely deserves a play Expand
  30. Jun 8, 2013
    I would never have guessed that playing as coloured quadrilaterals in puzzle platformer would be able to have one of the most captivating story lines, interesting varietys of challenges and hilarious group of characters out of the many games I have played.
    Thomas was alone, is an unmissable game.

1. Aug 29, 2013
    Simple, straightforward and brilliant indie game. Pick it up at a bargain, or even pay full price; it is worth every penny. So well executed - a definite must play for any and everyone.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    We’ve seen several games this year past e.g. Fez, Spec Ops: The Line, which can truly be said to have advanced the medium, and I wholeheartedly include Thomas Was Alone in that group.
  3. Feb 19, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone’s greatest strengths are in its storytelling and character. In this it fully exceeds, keeping me playing past the point of growing over familiar and dreary of the oft-repeated mechanical themes. But due to this it can be expected that many who start the adventure will never finish it, though, which is certainly a shame.