8.1

1. Nov 18, 2012
    The wit of portal in a puzzle based platformer. Narration is great, you will "Feel" for your little blocky avatars. It is easy to support a game like this especially when upcoming lone developers create it.
  2. Dec 23, 2012
    This game's storyline is like a reincarnation of Douglas Adams. I found myself smiling through the whole game. The puzzles are easy to understand and they make you want to keep solving them to get more of the story.
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is absolutely amazing. Fun puzzle platforming, an endearing minimalist art style, fantastic music, a spectacular story, and great characters and character development. This game is one of my favorite games of 2012.
  4. Jul 6, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone is not good. I'll give it credit for being pretty to look at and modestly pleasant to listen to. Aside from that it's simply a really poor gaming experience. First of all, it's way, way too easy: I think I was only briefly challenged on maybe 5 levels. That leaves 95 that were a total breeze. Even if a solution to a particular puzzle is obvious you still have to waste time wrangling the imprecise controls and swapping between polygonal "characters" as you move them into position over and over again. Towards the end I even ran into a bug that got one block stuck. I had to restart the whole level and painstakingly move around 10 different blocks step by step into the correct spots.

The less said about the "story" the better. The volume level of the narrator's voice fades in and out, making him hard to understand. The script's attempts at humanizing a bunch of polygons is laughable and fails miserably. The ending is a complete enigma, and not in a good way.

In short, skip Thomas Was Alone unless you like games that are short, easy, buggy and generally irritating.
  5. Dec 17, 2012
    It's only 4 hours in length
    it's not particularly challenging it's not a graphical powerhouse
    it's one of the most charming & engrossing gaming experiences I have all year
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    I love platform puzzle games, so I expected to like this game given the excellent reviews. I'm not sure what others like about this game, after finishing around 20 levels I couldn't force myself to play it anymore.
    Calling this a puzzle game would be stretching it, the puzzles are mostly switching between the various characters and jumping on them. This wouldn't be a problem except that
    the game forces you to repeat the same actions again and again. Keyboard control is terrible, particularly for jumping, I don't have a gamepad that the game supports.
    Graphics are very simple, which wasn't a problem for me as I was expecting that. Music is nice, in fact the music was the only thing that was well done in the game.
    If you want a puzzle platformer that is much much better than Thomas was alone, try Toki Tori, that one has inventive puzzles, no story but since when does a puzzle game need a story?
  7. Dec 29, 2012
    For a bunch of quadrilaterals, Thomas and friends have an awful lot of personality. Each character has different traits and, through excellent narration, very varied personalities. All without any more distinguishing features than the lengths of their sides and their colours.

This is surely the biggest success of the game - to make you care about a bunch of otherwise "boring old"
    shapes.

Gameplay itself is a lot of fun. A few tricky areas punctuate an otherwise simple selection of puzzles, each designed to introduce you to a new dynamic by way of a new character. You will explore each of their interactions with each other and with the environment as you guide them to the goal. They will need to work together to overcome the varied hazards in their way.

The story grips you and urges you to push on to the end, with some clever twists throughout as the guys learn about the world around them and their place in it.

Special mention should go to the soundtrack too - surely a masterpiece of atmosphere, perfectly finishing an all-round polished game.

It should also be added that - judging by his comments on Twitter and the game's Steam forum, the developer is incredibly humble and proud of his achievement - as well he should be. All in all this is a perfect example to support the argument that videogames ARE art. This guy LOVES his creation, and made it for all the right reasons.

p.s. Claire's my favourite.
  8. Jan 1, 2013
    this game is beautifully, not in its graphics but in its music and charter development which creates an all around beautiful feel for the game. I would strongly suggest trying it out
  9. Jun 25, 2013
    Don't go into this expecting a challenging puzzle game. Go into this expecting the best story in the history of gaming. This has the best writing, best character development, and best voice acting of any game I have ever played. And what's more, every character is nothing more than a little rectangle. But I care about those shapes more than I care about most humans in video games, to be honest with you. Pretty incredible to go from a little flash game on Kongregate to a full steam game, and even more incredible to improve so much in that jump. Expand
  10. Aug 27, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone is a very simple game with a solid narrative and very good voice acting on the part of the narrator. Unfortunately, the game itself is extremely simple, with later levels failing to really live up to their potential, and the game is very short, a mere three hours long and if it were any longer it would be bad indeed.
    The game is a very reasonable use of your time, but
    you should pay a price commensurate with the idea that you will play it once, for about three hours, then never play it again once you have played it, there is no reason to ever play it again. Expand
  11. Jun 6, 2013
    This game is great. It shows perfectly how you can have fun with just a few blocks. There are a lot of puzzles in this game, but the downside is the difficulty of the game. the re-playability is also quite low.
  12. Jan 4, 2013
    brought a tear to my eye, this is my game of 2012, like portal condensed into a wonderful, beautiful little biscuit of awesome. The way the story is told, the amazing music and the clever puzzles make this an absolute must play.(Claire is the best!)
  13. Jun 8, 2013
    I would never have guessed that playing as coloured quadrilaterals in puzzle platformer would be able to have one of the most captivating story lines, interesting varietys of challenges and hilarious group of characters out of the many games I have played.
    Thomas was alone, is an unmissable game.
  14. Jan 21, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone shows what good narrative and story can do, I found these colorful blocks to have more personality than most AAA video game protagonists. The puzzles were interesting though a little on the easy side, each block has its own unique skills and by utilizing each blocks abilities you get all the blocks to the exit portals. There were a few times in the game that I had to stop and let the narrator finish before progressing of I'd end up solving the level before he got done talking and miss the charm of the game. Overall it's a fun game and I found it to be worth my money. Expand
  15. May 29, 2013
    In Thomas Was Alone, you basically solve a few simplistic puzzles while a British guy narrates some sort of story to you and explains how the boxes you control somehow have feelings and you should care about them. It doesn't work very well. Half way through the game, I gave up trying to figure out what the guy was saying and piece it all together. I was left with an extremely generic puzzle-platformer. Each puzzle is basically the same, you use the boxes to jump on each other in one order or another until you get to the end. It's boring and uninspiring. The graphics are very simple, just blocks and really no texture at all. The music is just ambiance playing in the background, which is easily the best part of the game. On top of it all, you're gonna be paying $10 for a 3-4 hour long game with no replay value whatsoever. It wasn't a bad game per se, just totally unoriginal and bland. Only diehard puzzle-platformer fans should think about giving this game a go. Expand
  16. Jun 2, 2013
    I absolutely loved this game. It's so simple. yet so moving. There is just this emotion in the game that expands as you progress through each level, and I wanted to keep solving each level so I could I learn about what happens to each character, what happened in their past, what their hopes and dreams were.
    The game wasn't long, and I really wanted it to be, I really wanted to keep
    playing and playing, to just keep staying inside this amazing story.
    But I had no problems with the game, no glitches, no boring sections. One of my favourite games this year. 10/10 from me
  17. Mar 24, 2013
    Leading this fellowship of square and rectangles, each with their unique skill and character, through the 90 levels was certainly a fascinating video-game experience. Loved the visuals and the soundtrack. Simple and captivating storytelling. Although the game mechanics gets repetitive soon and the puzzle are honestly too easy for an average gamer, a really positive impression, definitely worth the money. Expand
  18. Jul 17, 2013
    I just finished Thomas was Alone. For those that don't have this yet, you should really get it. The sound track is amazing, the game play is so fun and never gets repetitive, and the characters (although I thought of them as just shapes in the start) develop over the story in a wonderful way. I found myself cheering for love, gasping when they were in trouble and cheering as I neared the end. This game hit the emotional chord that I can't even remember the last time a movie did..

Why? Because they aren't just shapes. They're people. They're dreams. They're family that we all know and love. Goddamnit, if you haven't gotten this or played it yet, three dollars during the steam sale will not account for the amount of joy you'll get out of this. The last time I felt this good playing and finishing a game was with the original Portal before anyone knew what it was about.
  19. May 31, 2013
    Simplistic, artistic and enjoyable. This game is clean and simple but really beautiful, with simplistic but likable characters with a decent narration. The narration to me was just okay and not as great as what others have rated it to be, at times funny and witty. Apart from that the soundtrack helps immerse yourself into this world and felt really good with the game. One thing I did not like was that it did not have as much puzzle aspects as I would like it to have, having some well-timed-or-else-you-are-dead scenarios which annoyed me a bit. Overall, would recommend as a simple game. Expand
  20. Feb 1, 2013
    "Thomas was Alone" is revolutionary; and in the right way. It tears and strips down the modern gaming make-up and gives a "what if?" on the path of games. With brilliant narration and character lovability (which are litteraly squares and rectangles) Thomas was Alone proves a fantastic and worthwhile game and path; Now all that's left is to go further down it.
  21. Aug 22, 2013
    I'm sorry. I kept telling myself I was enjoying it, I kept telling myself I was having a good time, but I was not. This game just has generic platformer gameplay with some decent dialogue on the side. Portal 2 for example has amazing gameplay and amazing dialogue. Sure it wasn't an indie game, but we have seen *cough*minecraft*cough* that indie games can have incredible gameplay. I suggest you try this game out because many people enjoy it, I am in no way saying you should not get this game, I am simply saying I don't like it myself. Expand
  22. Aug 4, 2013
    3 to 5 hour game, 100% done, mediocre story that’s supposed to be deep but just comes off as pretentious, and gameplay that gets old if you’re used to 2d platformers, the voice acting’s very good but not enough to hold up the game. 4.5/10
  23. Aug 24, 2013
    I really didn't expect much from such a simple idea, however I was blown away how good it was. Honestly one of the best storylines I have ever played, along with amazing music, will lead to an emotional journey, where you actually manage to sympathise with a rectangle!!! Honestly one of the best games I have ever played.
  24. Aug 25, 2013
    To start this off, if you want a challenging puzzle game, than this is not for you. Now if you want a wonderful story full of wit and emotion, this is the game for you. The basic premise is that you play as these blocks that all have names and personalities. Each of them is unique in their own way and can do different things. The goal is to make it through these different worlds and get the characters to "portals" at the end of each level. It makes for a very fun few hours of play and I highly recommend picking it up. Expand
  25. Aug 27, 2013
    What should i say! If you are bored and you are looking for a good game than play TWA. Great story, funny, and i think it is like an addiction! Help me bros can't stop playing
  26. Jan 30, 2014
    This game is over-hyped. Granted i haven't played it through(only halfway) but still, it was simply too frustrating and boring. The movement of the figures is clumsy at best and the gameplay is quite repetetative. Its to highly priced for the amount of playtime you get. You'll get 2-3 hours of irritating play for 8€ which is quite poor compared to other indie games. The graphics are smooth and so is the storytelling but these factors alone does not make a good game. Expand
  27. Apr 12, 2013
    Story and character are the name of the game with this indie platformer. There are some fun game play elements, but none that haven't been done before. Its rare that a game can create character with no more than narration and a oblong... and make you tear up over some rectangles.
  28. Aug 18, 2013
    The Pros: -Excellent voice acting and music -Graphics and platforming physics are well done -The puzzles are generally not frustrating -You can buy it dirt cheap The Cons -It felt a little short. I know it's an indie game but I felt like we spent a lot of time getting to know the characters and then it just ends suddenly without a lot of resolution. -More could have been done with it.

For the price I'd definitely recommend it.
  29. Jan 19, 2014
    If your looking for a fiendishly challenging platformer Thomas was alone is not the game your looking for this game is about the journey and narrative that is expertly and humorously narrated by Danny Wallace supported with and awesome soundtrack and a simple by effective graphical & fun level design makes Thomas was Alone a very good indie game too bad the game is quite short.
  30. Sep 8, 2013
    This game is one of the best I have ever played and is a true landmark in the field of story-telling through games, despite the fact all the characters are quadrilaterals. Firstly, it looks great the environment and characters are about as simple as you get now but it works and it's one of the few games which at any point you could take a screenshot and say "wow". The level design is clever and gives you some interesting puzzles which work well with your ability to switch characters and compensate for some of their flaws. The main part of the game has got to be the story, every character has their own issues and personality which make you become attached to them, all of them go through some amazing character development. The plot itself is interesting and is used to enhance the character development and immerse the player further, narrated by a voice that challenges Morgan Freeman: it doesn't get much better. The one flaw with the game is it's very short taking only 2 hours or so to complete, however, it's not surprising considering it's an independent game and it's forgiven through its amazing characters whom I will never forget. Expand

1. Aug 29, 2013
    Simple, straightforward and brilliant indie game. Pick it up at a bargain, or even pay full price; it is worth every penny. So well executed - a definite must play for any and everyone.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    We’ve seen several games this year past e.g. Fez, Spec Ops: The Line, which can truly be said to have advanced the medium, and I wholeheartedly include Thomas Was Alone in that group.
  3. Feb 19, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone’s greatest strengths are in its storytelling and character. In this it fully exceeds, keeping me playing past the point of growing over familiar and dreary of the oft-repeated mechanical themes. But due to this it can be expected that many who start the adventure will never finish it, though, which is certainly a shame.