8.2

1. Dec 29, 2012
    For a bunch of quadrilaterals, Thomas and friends have an awful lot of personality. Each character has different traits and, through excellent narration, very varied personalities. All without any more distinguishing features than the lengths of their sides and their colours.

This is surely the biggest success of the game - to make you care about a bunch of otherwise "boring old"
    shapes.

Gameplay itself is a lot of fun. A few tricky areas punctuate an otherwise simple selection of puzzles, each designed to introduce you to a new dynamic by way of a new character. You will explore each of their interactions with each other and with the environment as you guide them to the goal. They will need to work together to overcome the varied hazards in their way.

The story grips you and urges you to push on to the end, with some clever twists throughout as the guys learn about the world around them and their place in it.

Special mention should go to the soundtrack too - surely a masterpiece of atmosphere, perfectly finishing an all-round polished game.

It should also be added that - judging by his comments on Twitter and the game's Steam forum, the developer is incredibly humble and proud of his achievement - as well he should be. All in all this is a perfect example to support the argument that videogames ARE art. This guy LOVES his creation, and made it for all the right reasons.

p.s. Claire's my favourite.
  2. Jun 2, 2013
    I absolutely loved this game. It's so simple. yet so moving. There is just this emotion in the game that expands as you progress through each level, and I wanted to keep solving each level so I could I learn about what happens to each character, what happened in their past, what their hopes and dreams were.
    The game wasn't long, and I really wanted it to be, I really wanted to keep
    playing and playing, to just keep staying inside this amazing story.
    But I had no problems with the game, no glitches, no boring sections. One of my favourite games this year. 10/10 from me
  3. Sep 5, 2013
    Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful is what I will always say about this game. Like many people are saying, this game is not at all challenging, the puzzles are quite easy once you learn the core mechanics as each puzzle somewhat follows the same structure as a previous level you may have already completed. So why would I give this game a 10 out of 10? Because not only was this a game I can sit down, play and enjoy after a stressful tiresome day, but narration and story helps push this game to be one of the greatest indie games I have ever played, the story is beyond charming, although it may not have made me burst out laughing, the humor allowed me to smile as I appreciated each joke, each tale, each character. If you want an action packed exploding difficult puzzle game, this is definitely not for you. If you are someone who wants to play a relaxing game with a beautiful soundtrack which is perfectly integrated into the game with beautiful characters then this is 100% for you. Please do not be put of because the characters are mere shapes, these characters have more personality than many triple A titles I have played. This game is worth the support, and I want to thank whoever made this game a million times. Just beautiful. Expand
  4. Jan 4, 2013
    brought a tear to my eye, this is my game of 2012, like portal condensed into a wonderful, beautiful little biscuit of awesome. The way the story is told, the amazing music and the clever puzzles make this an absolute must play.(Claire is the best!)
  5. Jul 17, 2013
    I just finished Thomas was Alone. For those that don't have this yet, you should really get it. The sound track is amazing, the game play is so fun and never gets repetitive, and the characters (although I thought of them as just shapes in the start) develop over the story in a wonderful way. I found myself cheering for love, gasping when they were in trouble and cheering as I neared the end. This game hit the emotional chord that I can't even remember the last time a movie did..

Why? Because they aren't just shapes. They're people. They're dreams. They're family that we all know and love. Goddamnit, if you haven't gotten this or played it yet, three dollars during the steam sale will not account for the amount of joy you'll get out of this. The last time I felt this good playing and finishing a game was with the original Portal before anyone knew what it was about.
  6. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is absolutely amazing. Fun puzzle platforming, an endearing minimalist art style, fantastic music, a spectacular story, and great characters and character development. This game is one of my favorite games of 2012.
  7. Jan 1, 2013
    this game is beautifully, not in its graphics but in its music and charter development which creates an all around beautiful feel for the game. I would strongly suggest trying it out
  8. Dec 23, 2012
    This game's storyline is like a reincarnation of Douglas Adams. I found myself smiling through the whole game. The puzzles are easy to understand and they make you want to keep solving them to get more of the story.
  9. Aug 28, 2013
    This is an excellent indie game. It outshines other games by its innovation soundtrack and so many more things. Its a story about colourful rectangles but every one of them has personality. This game portraits rectangles as real human beings with human-like feelings. Its not just a game about rectangles. Its a game about friendship, bravery, love, and so much more
  10. Jul 4, 2014
    A beautiful little game. Takes what the first Portal taught us and did that. Great concept. Flawless gameplay. Really good puzzles. Beautiful narration. Top voice talent! A+
  11. Jan 1, 2013
    Absolute genius.

This is probably one of the more refreshing titles, similar to Limbo in my mind. It is in it's own right a very beautiful game, ranging from background music, to the hilarious narration. When you break it down, it's just blocks and it shows that fancy graphics don't always make for a good game. Buy this game.
  12. Jun 8, 2013
    I would never have guessed that playing as coloured quadrilaterals in puzzle platformer would be able to have one of the most captivating story lines, interesting varietys of challenges and hilarious group of characters out of the many games I have played.
    Thomas was alone, is an unmissable game.
  13. Jun 25, 2013
    Don't go into this expecting a challenging puzzle game. Go into this expecting the best story in the history of gaming. This has the best writing, best character development, and best voice acting of any game I have ever played. And what's more, every character is nothing more than a little rectangle. But I care about those shapes more than I care about most humans in video games, to be honest with you. Pretty incredible to go from a little flash game on Kongregate to a full steam game, and even more incredible to improve so much in that jump. Expand
  14. Jul 21, 2013
    Amazing game! the story is amazing, one of the best stories i have ever seen in a game. The puzzle aspect is fun and adds some game play into the game which is more than i can say for the walking dead's quick time events. The puzzles can get in the way towards the end as you try to complete the compelling story. A brilliant game that is well worth the money.
  15. Aug 15, 2013
    This game was simply brilliant. Mr. Wallace's narrations were a pleasure to listen to and in combination with the great story "Thomas Was Alone" succeeded in creating the on might think impossible: giving geometric shapes a character.
    I found myself desperately trying to solve the Levels as fast as possible just to be relieved to hear Wallace's voice again. Not because the Puzzles are
    bad, just because the story us so darn good. Expand
  16. Aug 24, 2013
    I really didn't expect much from such a simple idea, however I was blown away how good it was. Honestly one of the best storylines I have ever played, along with amazing music, will lead to an emotional journey, where you actually manage to sympathise with a rectangle!!! Honestly one of the best games I have ever played.
  17. Aug 25, 2013
    To start this off, if you want a challenging puzzle game, than this is not for you. Now if you want a wonderful story full of wit and emotion, this is the game for you. The basic premise is that you play as these blocks that all have names and personalities. Each of them is unique in their own way and can do different things. The goal is to make it through these different worlds and get the characters to "portals" at the end of each level. It makes for a very fun few hours of play and I highly recommend picking it up. Expand
  18. Aug 27, 2013
    What should i say! If you are bored and you are looking for a good game than play TWA. Great story, funny, and i think it is like an addiction! Help me bros can't stop playing
  19. Sep 11, 2013
    Thomas was alone has become my "go-to" example of an absolutely brilliant game that relies only on two aspects, fun puzzles and excellent story telling. When these two elements combine so well as they have in this game, it puts many triple A games to shame. Graphics wise, the game uses a minimalist style with squares and rectangles to represent the playable characters, but this is in no way a bad thing. The art style is pleasant and charming and colorful. With narration by Danny Wallace (who won a BAFTA for this role), the squares and rectangles become more than just shapes. They feel like actual human beings, that you actually care about. When a game can make me care more about simplistic shapes than fully animated humans in say Battlefield, then that game has done something right. While its a short game, you will laugh, cry, and feel a profound warmth and satisfaction when its over. I love this game. 10/10 Expand
  20. May 15, 2014
    This game is truly a masterpiece. The greatest 2D game ever made. The story just pulls you in and makes you feel emotions that no other game can. To give Thomas Was Alone anything but 10 would be a travesty to the gaming world.
    Also, this is an easy game to get 100% in if you are into trophies.
  21. Dec 28, 2013
    Messed up on my original review, can't be bothered to rewrite the whole thing, so let me summarize.
    1. Worth 10$.
    2. Gameplay is simple, keeps you occupied but not too occupied.
    3. The storyline is what makes the game, without it this game would barely survive at a price of $2.49. If you have anything close to resembling a heart inside that icy shell of a rib cage, this game is goddamn
    worth it. Expand
  22. Mar 14, 2014
    This game is minimalist and as near perfection as I can imagine.

You control several blocks in a solid and fun puzzle-type game, but the developer did not stop there. No, each block was given specific abilities, and a specific character. The game quickly starts as "Thomas was alone" but quickly Thomas (the little red rectangle) has friends (other colourful blocky shapes), and the
    friends must help each other. And on top of that, the game was also given a charming narration and story told simply and clearly by the wonderful voice actor Danny Wallace

I have never before felt emotionally attached to little blocks. And I'm not the only one: If you watch online reviews, you will hear many reviewers getting emotional about the little rectangles, and calling them by name.

The soundtrack sets the perfect mood, I found myself listening to it for long periods just enjoying it.. And as the game neared the finale, the music perfectly matches the mood.

This is a master class in how the right soundtrack and voice acting can take a good game and make it magnificent. Other, bigger budget titles, have much to learn from this small game.

So stop reading this review and go buy Thomas Was Alone. It is a masterpiece.
  23. Dec 17, 2012
    It's only 4 hours in length
    it's not particularly challenging it's not a graphical powerhouse
    it's one of the most charming & engrossing gaming experiences I have all year
  24. Jan 21, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone shows what good narrative and story can do, I found these colorful blocks to have more personality than most AAA video game protagonists. The puzzles were interesting though a little on the easy side, each block has its own unique skills and by utilizing each blocks abilities you get all the blocks to the exit portals. There were a few times in the game that I had to stop and let the narrator finish before progressing of I'd end up solving the level before he got done talking and miss the charm of the game. Overall it's a fun game and I found it to be worth my money. Expand
  25. Apr 12, 2013
    Story and character are the name of the game with this indie platformer. There are some fun game play elements, but none that haven't been done before. Its rare that a game can create character with no more than narration and a oblong... and make you tear up over some rectangles.
  26. Sep 8, 2013
    This game is one of the best I have ever played and is a true landmark in the field of story-telling through games, despite the fact all the characters are quadrilaterals. Firstly, it looks great the environment and characters are about as simple as you get now but it works and it's one of the few games which at any point you could take a screenshot and say "wow". The level design is clever and gives you some interesting puzzles which work well with your ability to switch characters and compensate for some of their flaws. The main part of the game has got to be the story, every character has their own issues and personality which make you become attached to them, all of them go through some amazing character development. The plot itself is interesting and is used to enhance the character development and immerse the player further, narrated by a voice that challenges Morgan Freeman: it doesn't get much better. The one flaw with the game is it's very short taking only 2 hours or so to complete, however, it's not surprising considering it's an independent game and it's forgiven through its amazing characters whom I will never forget. Expand
  27. May 1, 2013
    First of all, I think it's not a puzzle game, but a story-telling game. Gameplay is unpolished as in almost all small indie-games. Sometimes it becomes repetitive, sometimes puzzles are too flat. But I gave it 9/10, because "Thomas Was Alone" shows how a story can be told IN the game, not FOR the game.
  28. Dec 1, 2013
    This is one of the indie games that a lot of people were recommending me. Once I got to play it through it all, I found it to be a very casual, funny indie title all throughout. Sure, the puzzles may not be as challenging as other puzzle games, but it has a great soundtrack, fun level designs and as previously mentioned, it's funny. The only downside is that it could have been longer. You can beat this in 3-4 hours. But at least it's longer than Portal. 9/10 Expand
  29. Jun 4, 2013
    An almost perfect composition of music, character, subtle visuals, wry humour and a surprisingly engaging and well told story. As a whole it's bordering on genius. The soundtrack will stay with you and is enjoyable outside of the game.
  30. Jun 3, 2013
    Really more of an atmospheric platformer than a puzzler, Thomas is an utterly charming game. The narration brings Douglas Adams to mind, or possibly the Flatland books. Not a terribly long or difficult game, but a wonderful experience.

1. Aug 29, 2013
    Simple, straightforward and brilliant indie game. Pick it up at a bargain, or even pay full price; it is worth every penny. So well executed - a definite must play for any and everyone.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    We’ve seen several games this year past e.g. Fez, Spec Ops: The Line, which can truly be said to have advanced the medium, and I wholeheartedly include Thomas Was Alone in that group.
  3. Feb 19, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone’s greatest strengths are in its storytelling and character. In this it fully exceeds, keeping me playing past the point of growing over familiar and dreary of the oft-repeated mechanical themes. But due to this it can be expected that many who start the adventure will never finish it, though, which is certainly a shame.