7.4

1. Aug 23, 2013
    It seems the 5 years between Chaos Theory and Conviction had everyone forget what made the series so different than everything else.

"Stealth Action Redefined" was the original subtitle of Splinter Cell. I always thought that the point of a secret agent was that his existence remained as much a secret as possible. In SC:B, it's quite the contrary. The SC fans will likely opt for the

The SC fans will likely opt for the Ghost approach. In SC:B, being a Ghost means you can be seen by the enemy as long as you knock him out within a second. You can knock out as many people as you want, shoot out light bulbs, destroy cameras, you name it. The next morning, nobody will remember a thing and will probably blame the destroyed light bulbs and cameras on a power surge or something.

You'll go on this mission where you must hack some computers, and where, if you're "detected", the enemy will wipe out the data and the mission will be a failure. But apparently, if you knock out the entire base before hacking the servers, it's not suspicious at all and they won't wipe out the data, because, bleh.

And if you remain completely invisible without leaving as much as a drop of sweat, the game rewards you with a lame 11000 points and a few thousand dollars. If you opt for wiping out the whole base, you'll get 20000+ points and even more money. Even shooting light bulbs rewards you with money.

Everything that was challenging in the previous games is now gone.

It's a somewhat fun game, but it's pretty far from what made Splinter Cell "redefine the stealth action" genre. Sadly, I don't think it's ever coming back.
  2. Aug 14, 2014
    Splinter cell: Blacklist is a mediocre game in the franchise but by far was the most anticipated because it brings all the stuff that was new in Conviction, but builds it all into one full fluid gameplay experience. Sadly this made the game too different and it didn't feel like a splinter cell game at all, but just another action game that incorporated stealth in some areas to compete withSplinter cell: Blacklist is a mediocre game in the franchise but by far was the most anticipated because it brings all the stuff that was new in Conviction, but builds it all into one full fluid gameplay experience. Sadly this made the game too different and it didn't feel like a splinter cell game at all, but just another action game that incorporated stealth in some areas to compete with the SC series. Many problems for the PC version made it annoying to play but I felt like I had to because I needed to continue through the SC franchise even though this one was a bit of a disappointment but not so bad that it was a bad game. It still is great just doesn't feel like a SC game which is why I think this game still deserves a positive score. Expand
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    Three hours in, and I found the most satisfying feature to be the 'quit to desktop' menu option. Gameplay centers around lining up on hotspots. When done precisely enough, one or more of the available action buttons are shown onscreen. Thus allowing a predefined action to be executed. Taking cover, climbing... are only allowed at the behest of this system. The other half is shootingThree hours in, and I found the most satisfying feature to be the 'quit to desktop' menu option. Gameplay centers around lining up on hotspots. When done precisely enough, one or more of the available action buttons are shown onscreen. Thus allowing a predefined action to be executed. Taking cover, climbing... are only allowed at the behest of this system. The other half is shooting things. But enemies will spot you within seconds, even when facing away. Some of these limitations might be alleviated through the upgrade system. But it is a serious grind getting there. Expand
  4. Feb 23, 2014
    Turns out they not only removed Sam's voice, but his soul as well. If the guy in this game is Sam Fisher, then I am James Bond and I am not even British.
  5. Aug 27, 2013
    I understand how the games are made these days, but still, I can't stand it. The biggest Blacklist's problem is the same as in the Hitman: Absolution. It's not a series-belonging game anymore. Almost all things that you've loved are now gone, and I think, it's forever. It's a good game, though, but let's divide the pros and cons:
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Pros: 1) The game tries to please
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Pros:
    1) The game tries to please old fans. Starting with the same sonic emitter clicking sounds as in the SCCT, to the overall sense of "being a ghost agent".
    2) The plot is kinda silly, but come on, it always've been silly and cutscenes are nice and that Normandy-like airplane with command center on board is doing it's purpose good, making the game more atmospheric.
    3) Missions! Good old badass stealth suit spec ops are definetly better than that... Jason Bourne thing that was in Conviction instead of SC-like missions.
    4) Gadgets are sweet!
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Cons:
    1) PC controls sucks balls HARD.
    2) Sam is not Sam. I mean' seriously, that guy is the other guy.
    3) Levels are too linear and scripted.
    4) Suit upgrading system sucks balls.
    5) Plane upgrades are cheat! I don't want to use the radar and other cheating stuff, but game is forcing me to do it!
    6) OPSAT is not OPSAT anymore. It sucks balls.
    7) Gimme back old goggles! I want the thermal night EM modes back in one device,
    8) Gimme back old noise shadow levels!
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Way better than the Conviction but still, it can not be compared to, for example, brilliant Chaos Theory. Even to Double Agent. Dear developers. Please. Stop thinking that the gamers are dumb. Take a look at indie industry and start making the games way it was back in mid-00's.
  6. Aug 25, 2013
    I've only got one thing to say: to everyone who is not American, this game is insulting. It's telling you that not accepting the US as the world's police is met with death. The Engineers have respected the Geneva Conventions. They are not soldiers per se, but they are not terrorists either.

I though at first Blacklist would be a thin-veiled parody: most video games have you play as an American. The team could have tried social commentary; such as "this is what happens when you get too zealous with security". But no, they play it straight: the Engineers are the bad guys, Fischer, who is above the laws and fitted with the best tech ever invented (no way this could backfire... oh wait, what happened to Conviction in the timeline of the series?), is the good guy. There is no irony. There is no commentary. You are here for one thing only: kill the heretics who dare revolt against the US.

Really strange, considering the game was made by a Canadian team owned by a French company.

And yet, I will give Blacklist a 5. If you overlook the scenario, you will find a capable shooter. Yet, technical issues (such as gamepads not being supported correctly despite being made to play with a gamepad; or the fact that there's already a patch when the game is less than 1 week old) must be taken into account and thus, I think Blacklist deserves a bad mark, but not a 0 just because I didn't like one aspect.
  7. Aug 28, 2013
    Splinter Cell: Blacklist are somewhere between the old Splinter Cell and the Splinter Cell: Conviction. But this game takes you by the hand through the entire game. The standard two ways (illusion of choice). Enemies who have the same behavior at every load. And in some places shooting is necessary. There are flaws in the gameplay. The script in the second half crumpled.
  8. Oct 11, 2013
    This game as far as PC is concerned is full of potential. Currently the game has no chance of escaping its port from console issues such as a jumpy cover system, terrible menu system and some large multiplayer faults. To highlight the current major downfall of multiplayer is the ability for opponents to quit at the point a win becomes very slim, and rather than awarding you victory theThis game as far as PC is concerned is full of potential. Currently the game has no chance of escaping its port from console issues such as a jumpy cover system, terrible menu system and some large multiplayer faults. To highlight the current major downfall of multiplayer is the ability for opponents to quit at the point a win becomes very slim, and rather than awarding you victory the game will attempt to migrate the host; fail to do so and send you back to lobby giving you no experience or even a win. As for developer support the most recent change was making the hack/resupply key space-bar by default, so not very promising as far as issue priority. I want to sink more time into the game, but when me and my spy vs merc partner are about to land a win we have been disappointed on multiple occasions by the quitting to prevent a loss attitude. Simply changing this aspect for multiplayer would do the game massive good. If your buying this game for the mulitplayer, stay back until further notice. Expand
  9. Nov 24, 2013
    Overall Blacklist is a worthy addition to the Splinter Cell series.

Overall Blacklist is a worthy addition to the Splinter Cell series.

The game will definitely appeal to those that enjoyed the original trilogy (Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, and Chaos Theory) but found Double Agent and Conviction too different from the norm. The stealth gameplay is back in all its night vision, gadget toting glory with the key difference being much more open environments populated with plentiful enemies.

What holds Blacklist back from being a fantastic Splinter Cell game however can be attributed to five distinct elements...

1. Unfortunately Michael Ironside does not reprise his role as Sam Fisher, and despite the virtually unknown Eric Johnson's earnest attempt at it, Sam just doesn't feel the same. Ironside's voice work carried a unique grittiness and weight to it that spoke volumes to Sam's experiences, hardships, and no-nonsense attitude which Johnson just can't replicate. Johnson's Sam may have worked for a younger, more brash version of the character but it doesn't fly here.

2. *SPOILER* The main antagonist of the game, Majid Sadiq, has all the trappings of a great villain and is perfectly acted by Carlo Rota. Like some of the best spy thriller bad guys he comes off as intelligent and charismatic but also brutal and violently committed to his extreme global/political views. However by the end of the game we see this great character fall to pieces and turn into a whimpering moron, seemingly going against all characterization established in most of the game's story. If the writers believed that the audience would applaud this change as a form of comeuppance or resolution they were sadly wrong.

3. During the course of the game the player is given the option to pursue a number of side missions offered by the game's four supporting characters (Grim, Charlie, Briggs, and Kobin). Grim and Kobin's missions fit perfectly into the game with levels dedicated to being stealthy and carrying out snatch and grab missions and the like. Charlie's on the other hand feel terribly out of place due to them being standard "survive X waves of enemies" and Briggs' tasks are co-op ONLY missions. Out of the two of them I was most disappointed with Briggs' as restricting them to co-op feels a little strange for a singleplayer campaign and not completing them makes you feel like you're missing out on the whole experience. At the risk of sounding like an anti-social room troll, I personally have no interest in playing a game like Blacklist with another human being. In my experience there is nothing that breaks immersion and pace more than doing so.

4. In one of the final levels of the game you end up switching between Sam and Briggs for certain periods of time. For some ungodly reason the developers used this opportunity to completely change the gameplay and force you into a first person shooter version of Splinter Cell when you take control of Briggs. The controls feel clunky, the game clearly wants you to run and gun, and the result of this totally goes against the fact that in the story-line Sam has just come around to respecting Briggs and seeing him as an effective, dependable, and highly skilled agent.

5. While not entirely a negative aspect to the game (i.e. it doesn't necessarily harm the end product) I did find myself wondering: why does this game even exist? Whether you liked Conviction or not the fact remains that that game was a good ending point for Sam Fisher's story. Sure, it may have deviated pretty far from where it all started but the only ones clamoring for a Splinter Cell revival were the most rabid of fanboys who just couldn't let Conviction be the LAST of the series. Match this with the fact that the developer chose to not bring Michael Ironside back and you're left wondering why they even needed to make a new game.

Last but not least, I've seen a couple of user reviews on here giving the game 0s due to the fact that the game was a "crappy port", "terribly optimized", or just "didn't work". Don't get the wrong idea. Obviously there are issues on those users' end but its really not a universal issue with the PC version of the game. My PC is by no means a cutting edge gaming rig (GTX 660, 10 GB, and a horribly outdated 2.5 Ghz processor) but after shifting the game from DirectX 11 to 9 I could run it on nearly maxed settings and get fantastic visual fidelity with butter smooth performance to boost.
  10. Sep 2, 2013
    It's a decent game. The story is decent, but the gameplay is to short. The graphics aren't that good. There are annoying bugs while shooting near objects. At the moment the game isn't worth the price.
  11. Sep 13, 2013
    I really want to like this game, I really do. But there are two jarring things that are repeatedly ruining the experience for me.

1. The controls more often than not do something that I don't want to do and things I don't care about doing. For instance, why do I care about opening a door 5 feet away and why can't I interrupt it? Or how come when I'm pressed against the wall, "pick up enemy gun" takes precedence over "pick up body"? I've had to restart from the last check point because for whatever reason, use decided to do the exact opposite I wanted it to do.

2. Ubisoft for the life of them can't create a working online infrastructure for which to play on. If having yet "another Steam" on top of Steam is bad, then it's the fact that I can't join my friend's game and vice versa. And I'm not alone on this issue. And when Ubisoft's solution to the problem includes "disable all starting programs", I've lost all faith they can even create a multiplayer infrastructure worth beans.

Other than that, the game's great.
  12. Oct 27, 2013
    Somewhat good game but terrible PC optimization. The graphics are noticeably very good but I get poor framerates out of the blue especially during multiplayer. The story is very forgettable with undeveloped characters. This game brings back the flair of the original splinter cells but forgets most of it and goes back to conviction gameplay. I went non lethal for all the missions but feltSomewhat good game but terrible PC optimization. The graphics are noticeably very good but I get poor framerates out of the blue especially during multiplayer. The story is very forgettable with undeveloped characters. This game brings back the flair of the original splinter cells but forgets most of it and goes back to conviction gameplay. I went non lethal for all the missions but felt robbed as Sam would always just kill in each of the cutscenes.

Controls are sometimes infuriating and can easily be the death of you. (I played this on realistic) Multiplayer can be fun for an easy 6 hours. Singleplayer seemed like an average time to beat, but then again I was playing on realistic w/ non lethal and died every 10 min.

High production values, low originality, and tries to appeal to a wide audience with its customization. But still unless your looking for this type of gameplay this will not be your cup of tea. Reason for the 6/10 is for all of the PC problems and it's major and minor flaws. This game appeals to many people, as much as it doesn't. Not high replay value wait for it to get cheaper. Good for 20-40 min a day as it comes in bursts.
  13. Sep 3, 2013
    here goes.

I could go on how ive played nearly every sc, I wont. from the first couple levels of blacklist I felt already the game was different, controls were snappier, a.i. was more aggressive and deadlier than splinter cell conviction but the overall game didnt feel as polished up. the storyline was a bore, but I wouldnt know too much because I primarily skipped around every
    here goes.

I could go on how ive played nearly every sc, I wont.

the storyline was a bore, but I wouldnt know too much because I primarily skipped around every cutscene, its great they allow this feature because this is a LONG game with LONG cutscenes...I can say for certain I felt pretty uncomfortable with the interrogation scenes as they are pretty brutal compared to previous splinter cell games...the game itself forces you to make some pretty bad decisions like putting a bullet to someones head while watching the person get shot multiple times or impaling a person with a spike until he stops suffocating and dies...brutal, am not sure why they included this in the game you always have the passive decision of letting them live but then you feel as though they got away. they should have figured out a medium in the cutscenes for dealing with the criminal, instead sam fisher seems like the terrorist, he always seems pissed off and short attention spanned unlike the previous actor michael ironside he approached things with more control and intelligence. which reminds me...the acting was terrible and the rehashed sam fisher sounds so unoriginal and cliche...to bad.

as for the game itself. the cat and mouse gameplay was great, there were some challenging levels where you had to think twice on how to approach a level. lots of replay ability in this game i could tell.

could not play multiplayer because i had downloaded the pirate version. but am thinking of buying the game for replaying the levels and multiplayer itself.

there are a ton of gadgets and gizmos not to mention arsenal of weapons like sc3000 returning, different ways to customize them with acogs to redots. the guns seem pretty balanced and well thought out. as well as customize sam's suit, goggles,
  14. Aug 23, 2013
    This game is being way over rated by people. Seriously how can you give it a 10 just from the fact Michael Ironside isn't Sam anymore. Thats a massive downer. I played through then entire campaign and the Sam Fisher in the game still doesn't seem like Sam Fisher to me anymore at all. -2 for that and -1 for there being only 1 good multiplayer game mode. Spy vs merc classic. All the otherThis game is being way over rated by people. Seriously how can you give it a 10 just from the fact Michael Ironside isn't Sam anymore. Thats a massive downer. I played through then entire campaign and the Sam Fisher in the game still doesn't seem like Sam Fisher to me anymore at all. -2 for that and -1 for there being only 1 good multiplayer game mode. Spy vs merc classic. All the other game modes are already dead. You can wait a good 15 min in the lobby and no one joins. Also the fact that 4v4 seems like way to many players for the size of the maps. Other then that complaining right there its still an amazing game. The way i rate games is their worth. Is it worth $60? No. But i would snatch it up on a steam sale for 39.99 or less in a heartbeat. Expand
  15. Aug 24, 2013
    Seeing as how Splinter Cell is one of my all time favourite series and I was super hyped for Blacklist, I felt compelled to write my first metacritic review. God, just the thought alone makes me shudder, but here it goes.

Now I have to start by saying, I'll NOT be reviewing the multiplayer aspects of the game, as I mainly play Singleplayer modes. As it stands, Blacklist is a clear

As it stands, Blacklist is a clear improvement over Conviction, which was a fantastic game, albeit somewhat "casual". As far as SC (Splinter Cell) games go.

Having to approach a situation with a tactical eye, rather than snapping the first guy's neck and going on an execution spree is a welcome change from the previous entry into the game. This is further emphasized by rewards for adapting a certain play style.

Ghost, where you slip past enemy lines using non-lethal tactics, Panther, where you are still stealthy but stabbing dudes left and right, or Action where you are basically Rambo, shooting everything that moves and using a whole bunch of C4.

Based on your style you get awarded cash and a score. Obviously, you use the cash to improve your gear and your score ranks you on global leaderboards.

Gear customization has been improved, allowing you to get better suits, googles, gadgets and weapons. All catering to your specific playstyle. Not only that, but Sam's new flying headquarters, a modified cargo plane, the Paladin, can also be improved to unlock further customization and new gadgets. To top it all off, you can store up to 3 loadouts, to swiftly switch between gear depending on how you want to approach a mission.

The only negatives regarding customization is that once you get your level 2 Stealth suit and a silenced sniper rifle, the game becomes a cakewalk. Snap a neck, mark and execute the rest from afar.

Now I have to mention bugs plaguing the game as of today. It's mostly to do with collision detection and the context sensitive actions.

Time and time again I'd try to lure a guard around the corner. As he was making his way to his death, he'd randomly get stuck on nothing, walking in place. Which gave me a laugh.

In regards to the context sensitive actions, more often than not as I was hiding in a room by a door. As my next prey approached I pressed "E" to slit his throat and low and behold, Sam stepped into the door and decided to instead close the door. Which clipping through the enemy, which of course prompted an alarm, bringing in reinforcements and/or instant mission failure.

However I'm afraid the negatives don't stop there.

Regardless of Ubisoft's latest patch, Alt Tabbing doesn't work. That's a solid fact. Dare alt tab in the middle of an op, and your game has a tendency for locking up., WITHOUT saving your checkpoint. But it's a broken system in itself, as somehow, the progression of bonus objectives WOULD be saved.

Speaking of checkpoints, they are few and far in between. Some of the more time consuming missions would throw you back some good ten to fifteen minutes if you had to quit and leave your PC.

But I feel I bad mouthed the game long enough. Let's talk about something good again.

Seeing as this is the PC version, and we are the PC master race, I'm happy to report that the game sports beautiful DX11 HD textures. That is if your rig can handle it. But even on lower DX settings the game still looks beautiful. The sound design and attention to detail in the environment is through the roof. Cobwebs hanging off the ceiling and that sort of stuff.

Now, environments. Sadly, this game decided to go the Modern FPS route. The first two main missions and a good bunch of the side missions take place in the middle east. Everything is brown and full of rats. Talk about stereotypes.

But thankfully, later on the settings change up quite a bit.

It's safe to say that was the saving grace for this game, as I'd have demanded a refund if for the next ten hours I had to sneak around arid, brown hills hunting evil brown people who are evil because they are evil.

But thankfully that wasn't the case. The story is solid, if not somewhat overused. Evil mercenaries wanting the US to change its ways. Twist, not really.

Now we have to talk about this. Because everyone is talking about this. The voice actor for Sam is no longer Michael Ironside.

The new guy, Eric Johnson does an OK job as Sam. However he is clearly not Sam. At least not the Sam we knew. He no longer sounds like a veteran who has seen some sh&t and saved the world over and over again, but instead your run of the mill American action hero. Who is out doing patriot stuff on friday nights.

To conclude, Blacklist is an amazing stealth game. But if you look further the game clearly has some problems. Mainly stability. It is obviously a very hasty console port.

For that, this game gets a 7 out of 10 from me. In my books, a seven means "Good". Not average, not very good. Just plain Good.
  16. Nov 17, 2013
    This review is just for singleplayer. The game's plot and gameplay aren't perfect but aren't bad at the same time, they are just ordinary. It's really simple. the enemies are a bit stupid. It's worth playing, if you like such sort of games.
  17. Aug 22, 2013
    Soo far, I am thoroughly enjoying the single player. I have not beat it yet so I will write another review when I finish it. From the different gadgets to the diversity in missions, the single player has been a great experience. I have not played the coop so my rating is not based off that aspect either.

If you are a fan of the original Spies vs Mercs, sorry to say, but you will be

If you are a fan of the original Spies vs Mercs, sorry to say, but you will be disappointed. The sneaky, stealthy spy has been replaced by some action hero spy. Gameplay in SvM encourages run and gun behavior and gungho spirits. All you hvae to do is run up to a Merc as a spy, press one button, and if you are in range you kill them with a hand to hand assasination, very close to the same way you can run up and stab a guard in Assassins Creed..Same goes for Mercs but mercenaries are supposed to be ridiculously strong to offset the stealth abilities of the spy. In the original, you could run around in the dark without being spotted or seen. That is not the case anymore and its sad because it breaks the immersion of the game when you have to just run around and stab Mercs the whole time.
  18. Sep 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game, nice stealth and combat, nice gameplay, good repeatability. Story is good till the half of the game, but when we get close to the ending it's became every moment more bad, then we got the ending... a fast one that make me think they had hurry to finish the game. Also it seems that the real last ending will be a DLC... major letdown here.
    If the ending were better i would have given a 9.
  19. Oct 8, 2013
    I was really hoping that this game would turn the direction this series started to head after the last two games back in the direction of greatness. What I got was a decent game that nowhere near lives up to the legacy of the first 3 games in the series. Alot of the talk has been about the change of the Voice Actor for Sam in this game. It wouldn't really bother so much if this new guyI was really hoping that this game would turn the direction this series started to head after the last two games back in the direction of greatness. What I got was a decent game that nowhere near lives up to the legacy of the first 3 games in the series. Alot of the talk has been about the change of the Voice Actor for Sam in this game. It wouldn't really bother so much if this new guy wasn't so much of a complete Everything he says is a jab at someone else or just a complete snarky comment. The old Sam was never like that and I definitely don't like it. Fortunately most everything else in the game is done very well. The story missions are very fun with alot of intrigue, even if they did go back to the old "one alarm and you lose the mission" crap the old games tried to throw at you. On the PC, you're forced to go through Ubisoft's Uplay service and, while it'll never be as good as Steam, it's got a few things going for it so it's definitely not bad. The issue is with alot of the bugs and technical problems. I have a system that is only a little over a year old and this game was buggy, never could run at a decent framerate no matter what I did, and just never could catch up to the action it felt like. I always had to play on the lowest framerate and I have never had to go below Ultra on any game with this system. Overall, I had a good experience with this game but it wasn't enough. Splinter Cell is one of the true Stealth games on the market today but it's disheartening that the developers have decided not to listen to their fans. Instead they have decided to make a game that could have been great had a few things been changed up. In the end, I definitely wouldn't recommend playing this on the PC. Opt for the console version if you really want to play this game. Expand
  20. Sep 3, 2013
    Why you should buy it:
    -Fantastic graphics
    -Dynamic physics engine
    -Combat doesn't get boring (lot's of choices/takedowns/weapons)
    -Plot makes you feel gung-ho

Why you shouldn't buy it:
    -Storyline is like a C level action flick
    -Multiplayer is static, boring, and Co-op is worthless w/o a SOLID teammate
    -The price (unless you buy a Nvidia promo code off of someone)
  21. Mar 9, 2014
    I am glad I got this game for free or I would feel upset at the waste of money. The stealth feels unsatisfying. Control options feel less than intuitive. And going loud and proud though the game doesn't work until you unlock moderate armor. I can't count how many times I've been locked down by enemies shooting at me leaving to just wait until I die since the controls wouldn't let me atI am glad I got this game for free or I would feel upset at the waste of money. The stealth feels unsatisfying. Control options feel less than intuitive. And going loud and proud though the game doesn't work until you unlock moderate armor. I can't count how many times I've been locked down by enemies shooting at me leaving to just wait until I die since the controls wouldn't let me at least limp away from open fire.

On the plus side, getting money doesn't feel too terribly difficult as long as you spend it wisely. Some of the dialogue is humorous. The customization is neat. Still, as my first foray into the world of splinter cell, I am left wondering what made this series so great when games like this are produced.
  22. Oct 2, 2013
    Boring missions and annoying as well. The game claims you can go in Rambo style but you really can't since you get a dozen more enemies that just swarm you and kill you fast, really fast. You get a plane that serves as your base and you can upgrade it to get better stuff and some help during missions. Side missions are either defeat waves of enemies or sneak in and do stuff without beingBoring missions and annoying as well. The game claims you can go in Rambo style but you really can't since you get a dozen more enemies that just swarm you and kill you fast, really fast. You get a plane that serves as your base and you can upgrade it to get better stuff and some help during missions. Side missions are either defeat waves of enemies or sneak in and do stuff without being seen, quite a disappointment. There are no side stuff you can collect to find out more about your enemies or what's going on, just some computers you hack (hold a button) and get money. Boooooring!!!!! Expand
  23. Sep 14, 2013
    This is the first time I have played a Splinter Cell game having got it free through one of the NVIDIA codes. Having gotten the game free, I didn't bother doing anything with it until the last couple of days when I decided to give it a go, so I was fortunate enough to play for the first time post patches. Thus far I'm about five hours into the single player campaign, but I'm not sure ifThis is the first time I have played a Splinter Cell game having got it free through one of the NVIDIA codes. Having gotten the game free, I didn't bother doing anything with it until the last couple of days when I decided to give it a go, so I was fortunate enough to play for the first time post patches. Thus far I'm about five hours into the single player campaign, but I'm not sure if I'll go much further.

I see a lot of people on here claiming that the graphics are terrible, or conversely that the graphics are amazing. The majority of the professional reviews I had read prior to playing the game said that the graphics were merely passable, and I think that's the assessment I tend to agree with. Whether the underwhelming nature of the graphics is the result of a shabby console port I can't say, but either way I'm not bothered as the visuals aren't the be all and end all of a game.

However, I do have to add my voice to the list of other reviewers on here complaining about the controls, which are not at all good. I completely understand why people are saying it's due to a lazy port. I frequently found my key presses resulted in me doing something other than what I intended due to certain keys fulfilling multiple roles. I'm not saying the wrong thing happened with every press, but it happened often enough to have me yelling in frustration on more than one occasion. On top of that I also found a few times that my key presses did nothing at all, which was also incredibly frustrating. Even when everything was working as intended, I found the controls a little clunky.

Though the controls are my main gripe and the reason I probably won't play much more of the game, I have to agree that the plot and characters are also a bit flat and uninspiring, and it's far from difficult to pick holes.

I can't comment on the multiplayer game as I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't recommend the game as a single player from my own experiences thus far.
  24. Sep 19, 2013
    Esta es una crítica SUBJETIVA tras haber finalizado el juego.

LO BUENO: los diversos gadgets de los que Sam tiene que hacer uso a lo largo del juego, el sistema de mejoras para el Paladín/equipo y ciertas situaciones que te hacen recordar buenos momentos de sus antecesores. LO MALO: puede resultar fácil incluso en niveles avanzados de dificultad, quizá más corto que los anteriores.
    Esta es una crítica SUBJETIVA tras haber finalizado el juego.

No aporta gran cosa a la franquicia y seguramente hay otros mejores dentro de ella, pero eso no quiere decir que haya sido mal juego, al contrario, Splinter Cell: Blacklist ha sabido cumplir (como no hacía desde hace un tiempo) con un juego con el que te sientes estar en la piel de un agente secreto. Habiendo varios estilos de juego para acabar cada una de las misiones, toda acción será importante, pues el jugador será recompensado con puntos en función del método escogido para acabar las misma; dichos puntos podrán emplearse en mejoras para el avión (centro de operaciones) o el equipo. Además el jugador tendrá a su disposición misiones secundarias (tanto para uno como dos jugadores) con las que conseguir más puntos o simplemente pasar un buen rato (personalmente a mí no me han llamado tanto la atención pero pueden ser divertidas para los que quieran jugar en compañía). Eso es lo único nuevo que aportas el juego (las misiones y las mejoras).

En definitiva, Splinter Cell: Blacklist es un juego que te gustará tener (si no ahora, cuando se rebaje el precio) si te gusta la saga en general y que sin ser mejor que Chaos Theory o Pandora Tomorrow tampoco se queda muy por detrás.

*NO HE PROBADO EL MODO COOPERATIVO Y POR LO TANTO NO HABLO DE ÉL
    *LOS PROBLEMAS DE LA VERSIÓN DE PC EXPERIMENTADOS POR OTROS JUGADORES YO NO LOS HE TENIDO.
  25. Jan 4, 2014
    Game is sleek and looks pretty, but it felt shallow, barely an echo of the older Splinter Cell titles. If you want a single player experience similar to the first games in the series, don't buy Blacklist, cause this isn't it.

Developers clearly tried to make it do too much stuff including disparate features copied from other successful games. But those have little to do with Splinter Cell and they felt out of place here.

They were better off starting or buying another IP if they wanted to try that stuff and continue SC with its own tradition. Too bad, I was hungry for another SC.
  26. Apr 9, 2016
    Blacklist finally manages to blend action and stealth in a satisfying manner. The experience retains most of the cerebral aspect of the original trilogy but also gains in action and momentum. The level design is as always, the star of the show and is both varied and challenging. The optional objectives add thrill and the different mission approaches such as Panther and Ghost add aBlacklist finally manages to blend action and stealth in a satisfying manner. The experience retains most of the cerebral aspect of the original trilogy but also gains in action and momentum. The level design is as always, the star of the show and is both varied and challenging. The optional objectives add thrill and the different mission approaches such as Panther and Ghost add a satisfying level of incentive and reward.
    Gadgets and character customization are both fun and mechanically relevant. The production value is as good as ever and the visual presentation is good. That said, it is unfortunate that the game lost so much of its flair and sense of style; The minimalist, noir/Clancy ambiance was sacrificed in exchange for a cheap B television drama look and feel. The replacement of Micheal Ironside from the cast, straight-up destroyed the character of Sam Fisher and all the charisma that went with it. Black list is a good game, it is a competent game, but in some fundamental way, it is not the Splinter cell we all come to know and love.
  27. Aug 2, 2014
    Potentially great game completely ruined by one single poor design decision: Not allowing Player to save whenever. Having to replay from checkpoint over and over again led to some very very frustrating game play . After a while I felt like just run and gun (which worked great), just to finish the game. It wasn't worth my time trying stealth approach over and over again and fail becausePotentially great game completely ruined by one single poor design decision: Not allowing Player to save whenever. Having to replay from checkpoint over and over again led to some very very frustrating game play . After a while I felt like just run and gun (which worked great), just to finish the game. It wasn't worth my time trying stealth approach over and over again and fail because Sim fails to act as I want.

Lots of gadgets but felt useless because AGAIN it's not worth the time to experiment with gadgets, screw up and having to restart from checkpoint.

Another problem that downplays stealth is that Sam Fisher moves so slow when moving a body. It's entirely not worth hiding body because AGAIN if you are spotted, you are sure to be shot to death before you can put the body down and back to checkpoint again. And you will be spotted very very often on harder levels.
  28. Mar 13, 2014
    Gameplay and platforming is almost as good as previous SC games but the plot is too cliché. The story does get interesting at some points but overall its....let's just say nothing compared to conviction.
  29. Sep 12, 2014
    Massive shame. As a fan of the original titles I was awfully put off by the opening and first level gameplay offered by blacklist. Though impressed by the quality of its production I can't stand to see the standard set by this series drift this far from stealth simulation. Missing the tongue in cheek humour of fisher, multi vision mode, sound detection ai and just the calm realisticMassive shame. As a fan of the original titles I was awfully put off by the opening and first level gameplay offered by blacklist. Though impressed by the quality of its production I can't stand to see the standard set by this series drift this far from stealth simulation. Missing the tongue in cheek humour of fisher, multi vision mode, sound detection ai and just the calm realistic professionalism of the characters and slow-er-than-tv-show pace helped create tense and complex gameplay scenarios that splintered an early audience and earned new fans at the time of the original 2002 xbox release.

On top of this expect strange, inhuman movement animations and mechanics that betray the original entirely replacing the concept of moving slowly like a spider preying in the darkness transform here to what feels like a rabid snake flailing from cover to cover snapping at it's ai crippled victims. Actually stopped playing after 40 mins as NOTHING felt stealthy anymore. I guess its open market on who can create the best stealth/spy simulator looks like kojima has reclaimed that title for now.
  30. Aug 24, 2014
    This is more or less a Splinter Cell Double Agent with the style of SC Conviction, nothing more. Some spots (some=very few) felt exactly like Chaos Theory but it was just not enough. The game feels like a normal blockbuster, and ubisoft added all these features about unlocking equipment, upgrading and buying stuff with money you earn by doing the mission in a certain way and doing stupidThis is more or less a Splinter Cell Double Agent with the style of SC Conviction, nothing more. Some spots (some=very few) felt exactly like Chaos Theory but it was just not enough. The game feels like a normal blockbuster, and ubisoft added all these features about unlocking equipment, upgrading and buying stuff with money you earn by doing the mission in a certain way and doing stupid soulless side missions and so on....

Well, I did not like it and I am a huge fan of Sam Fisher. It is ok, it feels like Splinter Cell but it is still the rotten Splinter Cell we carry on since Double Agent. Buy it very cheap if you really miss some stealth action but be warned, it does not differ so much from the latest Splinter Cell games. The atmosphere is just not there. Repetitive missions, and not enough communicative.

31. Sep 4, 2014
    A disappointing game for sure... It's sad that the last couple of games were both big letdowns. This game is lacking on many aspects. I just feel they have gone downhill after Conviction with Chaos Theory being the last good one and at this point I don't think any future Splinter Cell game will top that. Definitely not worth the time. Nothing that will make you really like it
  32. Jun 10, 2016
    Good story, characters, level design, dialogue (though people tend to speak too fast - hard to follow). The overall gameplay mechanics are decent, but the game occasionally manifests itself as a console port. The main problem is with the E key, which serves too many functions and there's no way to distribute them across different buttons. Your E key interacts with objects like doors, lightGood story, characters, level design, dialogue (though people tend to speak too fast - hard to follow). The overall gameplay mechanics are decent, but the game occasionally manifests itself as a console port. The main problem is with the E key, which serves too many functions and there's no way to distribute them across different buttons. Your E key interacts with objects like doors, light switches or bodies. It's also for initiating a kill animation and picking up weapons. Now imagine a situation where you want to do one thing with this key, but coincidentally there are several animations that can be triggered. I want to go for a kill, but... NO. FISHER CLOSES A **** DOOR IN MY TARGETS FACE AND GETS HIMSELF SHOT IN THE PROCESS. In another instance I got myself into a gunfight and wanted to pick up a weapon while I was behind cover. Coincidentally there was an effing body right next to the weapon. What happens? Fisher is locked into the slow animation for picking up bodies, stands up from cover doing so, AND GETS **** SHOT. In "realism" mode this "realistic" scenario gets you killed in two shots and you have to do everything all over again.

The number of times I had to re-do a level because the game facked me over is uncountable. That impacts the rating. Otherwise it's a classic Splinter Cell experience.

1. Jan 22, 2014
    With Conviction, the Splinter Cell series seemed to be veering off course, but Blacklist thankfully grabs the wheel and gets it back on track.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Splinter Cell Blacklist is one of the better entries in the long lived spy-saga. It offers great gameplay choices and sneaking is heavily rewarded. On top of that the multiplayer is also confidently crafted. The one thing lacking is the banal story with flat characterization that hinders Splinter Cell Blacklist from reaching any narrative high points.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Sep 25, 2013
    Though it lacks the subdued intelligence of Chaos Theory, there's still some cracking good sneaking to be had. [Oct 2013, p.92]