7.4

1. Sep 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The multiplayer is an incredible disappointment and Uplay should just cease to exist at all, especially for a game purchased on Steam. Ubisoft makes good attempts at stealth multiplayer that are all ruined by this Uplay. Prop Hunt has more intelligent steath gameplay than this garbage. Spoilers: Alex will never have me. Expand
  2. Sep 5, 2013
    Here's Ubisoft's vision. If the game is broken (Conviction) and loses more fan base than it gains, make a 2nd one that is the same exact thing but bring back multiplayer to win-back our lost fans. Granted, I am very happy that they brought back Spies vs. Mercs again. But the Single Player (Which I used to enjoy) was short, felt like a 3rd Person Shooter, and I didn't feel those tenseHere's Ubisoft's vision. If the game is broken (Conviction) and loses more fan base than it gains, make a 2nd one that is the same exact thing but bring back multiplayer to win-back our lost fans. Granted, I am very happy that they brought back Spies vs. Mercs again. But the Single Player (Which I used to enjoy) was short, felt like a 3rd Person Shooter, and I didn't feel those tense moments of getting discovered as I did earlier in the series. Please don't try again. Expand
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    Let me first state that I came into this thinking that Ubisoft finally balanced out the came from that pure garbage of a game known as Conviction (which, was really just nothing more than a third-person shooter with some stealth elements). The sort of did. They did allow for multiple options, and routes, to get around enemies and eliminated much of the linearity of Conviction and allowedLet me first state that I came into this thinking that Ubisoft finally balanced out the came from that pure garbage of a game known as Conviction (which, was really just nothing more than a third-person shooter with some stealth elements). The sort of did. They did allow for multiple options, and routes, to get around enemies and eliminated much of the linearity of Conviction and allowed for actual stealthy game-play to come back (and let's face it, the only "stealthy" parts of Conviction was the Deniable Ops mode). The game-play, to me puts this at a higher level than the previous game.

Which would be great, if not for two things. Number one. The game is WAY too short, and it makes ZERO sense. I don't know why they've decided to allow Sam to still be apart of the series in this sort of a fashion. I might allow a prequel game, but this is a continuation off of Conviction...And Sam is 56 years old in this game. In fact, not also is he 56 years-old, he looks like he's in his 30's and can do gymnastics and parkour like he was in his late-teens! Really Ubisoft? And what about a possible replacement? I'm pretty damn sure that seeing a geriatric Sam Fisher, in his 70's doing the same kinds of craziness, would be hilarious, but why not just make him to the point where he's: a) too old to do the job and turns into an Irving Lambert role, or b) have him already in an Irving Lambert role and have one, or two, new characters take the role. Heck, it could have it that Archer and Kestrel be the replacements (cause, I don't know, that might bring CONTINUITY to the series). Heck, it could even make the game LONGER. Because, after the missions are over (12 side missions that you can do in solo mode that feels more like a chore than something that adds to the game) you're going to feel a little underwhelmed. Like "that's it?" kind of underwhelmed. Not good unless Ubisoft is going to try to nickle-and-dime us for more glorious DLC (correction..."ULC", yay!).

The second is uPlay (or what I like to call uCrap). I had bought the game from Steam and everything seemed to be cool with it...For one day. The next day, guess what happened when I tried to log-on? I CONTINUOUSLY got kicked back with uCrap telling me that my password/username doesn't match! Here's the fun part, after messing around with uCrap for the better part of an hour (re-inputting my username/password) I could not play my damned game! I tried to get my password reset, but I guess the website has a thing for cookies as it kept telling me to allow cookies for the site! Here's the funny part...BOTH browsers I have allows cookies! This is my main complaint, that if Ubisoft wants to run this crappy, intrusive, always having to log-on before playing DRM crap, AT LEAST have a working program! To add on to this (and I am in no way promoting this), but I had to get a crack just so I could play a game that I paid $55 for. Let me reiterate...The crappy, P.O.S. DRM "service", that never worked right, that is buggy, that stopped me from playing a game that I spent hard-earned money on had caused me to not only re-download a whopping 18GB game, but also forced me to have to get a crack so that I could circumvent the RE-F***ING-DICULOUS, always have to log-on, never-working, uCrap DRM service. For f***'s-sake, Ubisoft, if you want DRM always on, great, there are A MULTITUDE of options: work with a 3rd party, have the game synced up with the MAC/IP address of the computer, or HELL, DON'T HAVE IT. But no, you have put in place a DRM so sh*tty that it causes people to find non-legal routes just to play their damned game! Thanks a lot Ubisoft.

It gets a 3 because of the uCrap issues. If it worked great, I would be more inclined to give it a 7 as the game-play is genuinely fun, although the story makes no sense, it's too short, and plays on every ridiculous stereotype known to man (which I skipped through most of), I actually liked it (it balanced and actually rewarded stealth game-play). But they need to find a way to replace Sam (and NOT have it so that he looked to have downed the Fountain of Youth) and they should've done this yesterday.
  4. Sep 4, 2013
    the best stealth game of the last 5 years and defiantly one of the best games of the years. splinter cell continues to be one of the best gaming experiences out there.
  5. Sep 4, 2013
    Three hours in, and I found the most satisfying feature to be the 'quit to desktop' menu option. Gameplay centers around lining up on hotspots. When done precisely enough, one or more of the available action buttons are shown onscreen. Thus allowing a predefined action to be executed. Taking cover, climbing... are only allowed at the behest of this system. The other half is shootingThree hours in, and I found the most satisfying feature to be the 'quit to desktop' menu option. Gameplay centers around lining up on hotspots. When done precisely enough, one or more of the available action buttons are shown onscreen. Thus allowing a predefined action to be executed. Taking cover, climbing... are only allowed at the behest of this system. The other half is shooting things. But enemies will spot you within seconds, even when facing away. Some of these limitations might be alleviated through the upgrade system. But it is a serious grind getting there. Expand
  6. Sep 3, 2013
    Expected the comeback of the old (and good SC). Very disapointed.

Expected the comeback of the old (and good SC). Very disapointed.

The voice acting in SP is average at best. In SP the cover system is very unbalanced, if you are crouched in a dark area the enemy will spot you right away, however if you are using the cover system you go totally undetected. If you try to sneak by the parkour path is really obvious and very linear. The night vision is almost useless and there is no thermal. Whatever difficulty level you play, enemies are equally dumb and the only variable factor i show much healt you have which does come back after a few seconds, call of duty style)

The multiplayer is a major disappointment, as I was expecting the old classic SPY vs MERC game mode to include at least a few old SC2 maps and the older game mechanics. Albeit the "Classic" name, it has nothing in common. The equipment the player have at his disposal is utterly limited compared to Pandora tomorrow. No special visors in merc side, spy have no thermal vision, just a lame Black and white NVG. The spies objective is to hack a terminal, while doing so they have to stay in the surround of the terminal to keep the up-link active, but since the map are so small its super easy to find the spies while they hack and to kill them.

The way the control are setted up is annoying, they dont use enought bindings and having multiples actions on singles buttons gets confusing. There is also no way to adjust your moving speed. You are either walking super fast (in such a noisy manner that would get you noticed in .1 sec in any older game) or sprinting

Non-gameplay related, they game is very bugged, dropping bodies in certain places will have them do the bacon on the floor( with associated loud noise that goes unoticed by the enemy). Many crashes to desktop, and the FOV isnt well suited for multiple monitors gaming. Sometimes NPC textures have "holes" that allow you to see thru them
  7. Sep 3, 2013
    Why you should buy it:
    -Fantastic graphics
    -Dynamic physics engine
    -Combat doesn't get boring (lot's of choices/takedowns/weapons)
    -Plot makes you feel gung-ho

Why you shouldn't buy it:
    -Storyline is like a C level action flick
    -Multiplayer is static, boring, and Co-op is worthless w/o a SOLID teammate
    -The price (unless you buy a Nvidia promo code off of someone)
  8. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is no better than Conviction, perhaps even worse. I don't play Splinter Cell to pretend I'm playing Call of Duty, but that is exactly what this game feels like. With Juggernauts, Shielded Juggernauts, Spybot controllers, dogs and countless other absurdities taken from the least creative methods of applying difficulty, this game is hugely disappointing.

This game feels like a

This game feels like a re-skinned Assassin's Creed but far less immersive.
  9. Sep 3, 2013
    Certainly the game is better than its previous version.
    Like the most the possibility of passing the mission in quiet mode and in different ways......
  10. Sep 3, 2013
    Many hardcore Splinter cell fans would not have liked Conviction because it favored more combat style play than stealth. Even though Blacklist still has some main features of conviction, it has brought back the classic stealth options which made chaos theory one of the best stealth games ever, along with some new gadgets, scoring style which are good. You can play whichever way you wantMany hardcore Splinter cell fans would not have liked Conviction because it favored more combat style play than stealth. Even though Blacklist still has some main features of conviction, it has brought back the classic stealth options which made chaos theory one of the best stealth games ever, along with some new gadgets, scoring style which are good. You can play whichever way you want to, you can kill everyone (assault style), you can stealthily dispose enemies(panther style) or you can complete the whole game without killing even one person(ghost style), which obviously, will be the toughest. You will be rewarded for any style of play you choose. The game also has some good improvements to its predecessors in gameplay, number of levels(Conviction was incredibly short).You'll be able to complete the whole game in about 16 hours which is much better than conviction which was just about 6 hrs.

The main issue in blacklist is the graphics which are poor compared to the current benchmark of graphics for games, and the voice acting.

Overall the game is very good, and hardcore splinter cell fans along with new gamers will enjoy this game. The Spies Vs Mercs multiplayer is back and it is absolute fun.
  11. Sep 3, 2013
    here goes.

I could go on how ive played nearly every sc, I wont. from the first couple levels of blacklist I felt already the game was different, controls were snappier, a.i. was more aggressive and deadlier than splinter cell conviction but the overall game didnt feel as polished up. the storyline was a bore, but I wouldnt know too much because I primarily skipped around every
    here goes.

I could go on how ive played nearly every sc, I wont.

the storyline was a bore, but I wouldnt know too much because I primarily skipped around every cutscene, its great they allow this feature because this is a LONG game with LONG cutscenes...I can say for certain I felt pretty uncomfortable with the interrogation scenes as they are pretty brutal compared to previous splinter cell games...the game itself forces you to make some pretty bad decisions like putting a bullet to someones head while watching the person get shot multiple times or impaling a person with a spike until he stops suffocating and dies...brutal, am not sure why they included this in the game you always have the passive decision of letting them live but then you feel as though they got away. they should have figured out a medium in the cutscenes for dealing with the criminal, instead sam fisher seems like the terrorist, he always seems pissed off and short attention spanned unlike the previous actor michael ironside he approached things with more control and intelligence. which reminds me...the acting was terrible and the rehashed sam fisher sounds so unoriginal and cliche...to bad.

as for the game itself. the cat and mouse gameplay was great, there were some challenging levels where you had to think twice on how to approach a level. lots of replay ability in this game i could tell.

could not play multiplayer because i had downloaded the pirate version. but am thinking of buying the game for replaying the levels and multiplayer itself.

there are a ton of gadgets and gizmos not to mention arsenal of weapons like sc3000 returning, different ways to customize them with acogs to redots. the guns seem pretty balanced and well thought out. as well as customize sam's suit, goggles,
  12. Sep 2, 2013
    It's a decent game. The story is decent, but the gameplay is to short. The graphics aren't that good. There are annoying bugs while shooting near objects. At the moment the game isn't worth the price.
  13. Sep 1, 2013
    Single player:
    Solid story, good graphics. The missions are mostly fun and there is a lot variation between the stages.
    Coop: I played the missions with my brother on realistic using team speak. We had a lot of fun even though we died a lot at first. Multi player: This is the most fun I've had with playing competitive matches in a long time. At first, there are a lot of gadgets and
    Single player:
    Coop:
    Multi player: This is the most fun I've had with playing competitive matches in a long time. At first, there are a lot of gadgets and weapons to unlock. Unfortunately, it doesn't take too long to unlock almost everything because the amount of money given after each mission (SP, Coop and MP) is too high.
    The matches per se are thrilling and fun.
    A few negative aspects though: Firstly, the game is full of little glitches. They don't really bother me and should be fixed pretty soon. Secondly, we encountered a lot of disconnects and crashes during the Spies vs Mercs matches. This on the other hand was annoying and frustrating.
    All in all I can only recommend this game since it is in my eyes a great package of solo, coop and multiplayer game.
  14. Sep 1, 2013
    This is not splinter cell. This is a typical example of how devs are making their games accessible "to a wider audience", in other words dumbing it down so much stupid 10 year olds can play it and think they are good. Not challenging, pathetically easy and disgrace to the rest of the series (excluding conviction, that was too).

If this didn't say Splinter Cell on the cover I might

If this didn't say Splinter Cell on the cover I might think of giving it a 4 or 5, but unfortunately it does, which hurts me, as well as the original SC fan base. Do not buy.
  15. Sep 1, 2013
    Best Splinter Cell when it comes to gameplay, it adds up all the good from previous games and gives almost unlimited options to play it as a ghost. (Assault is lulz)
    Plot is not bad BUT it does bother me a little that Fisher is getting younger since Chaos Theory, new voice actor does good job though.
    Level design is good, giving you multiple options to go trough and lets you use your imagination, something you dont see very much these days. Enemies are basic stuff nothing very much new here, expect i like how sometimes they will start looking for their friend if you knock him out. Though game adds one of the most annoying enemy yet, those damn dogs!
    Grapichs serves this game well and there is not much to say about that.
    Overall best Splinter Cell by gameplay but still Chaos Theory stays best Splinter Cell of all time, atmosphere does not get there like in old days.
  16. Aug 31, 2013
    What a good game! Lol, I'm just kidding. Another franchise lost forever to the Call of Duty audience. I quit playing when the game BECAME A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. Why did they do this to such a good franchise? your gay Ubisoft, just make a new IP if you want to make a bad Call of Duty clone, don't shoehorn it into a once strong franchise.
  17. Aug 31, 2013
    How is this game compared to the 5 previous installments? Sub-par compared to the first 3 games, less buggy but have more crash than double agent, same stupid cover-based stealth as conviction but this time you can at least drag bodies, and have some hi-tech fancy cheating stuff.

The good old-day noise and shadow based stealth is still missing. Player is granted serious cheating equipment like enemy detecting radar, player-controlled small plane, and super sonar vision, etc.

Sam Fisher is no longer Sam Fisher, he becomes a super US-hero like spider-man with good agility to switch between cover, and have strong gun power for assault purpose. Using hi-tech knock-out equipments to clear a dangerous room while hiding in a safe place will be very rewarding in terms of points, even better than if you sneak like a ghost agent.

So, this game is in fact a third person shooter with some basic stealth element. Even the last mission reminds me the last scene of Call of Duty MW.

If you are casual players, you may like this game if you don't suffer from the serious technical issues like the others mentioned. However, if you want to have a professional stealth game like the first 3 games of splinter cell, you will be disappointed.

On the other hand, the control is quite crappy just like a straight console port, and you may also suffer some performance issues like the others mentioned.

I will give this game a 5, if there is no such serious game crash, random fps drop, and the stupid control which often cause Sam to perform unintended action.
  18. Aug 31, 2013
    SNAFU. Well, I really wanted to like this new Splinter Cell game. I've played them all and let me tell you folks this is the absolute WORST when it comes to graphical optimizations, and especially, crashes. Some graphics settings require restart of the game, but when you restarted, you discover everything has been defaulted to "Low". The game just won't start until you edit one .iniSNAFU. Well, I really wanted to like this new Splinter Cell game. I've played them all and let me tell you folks this is the absolute WORST when it comes to graphical optimizations, and especially, crashes. Some graphics settings require restart of the game, but when you restarted, you discover everything has been defaulted to "Low". The game just won't start until you edit one .ini file from "My Documents". Graphics glitches appear after altering the settings from the default "low" ones. random crashes to desktop are something of a usual matter.
    Gameplay? not much to say after ragequitting because of the graphics. All in all seems like the typical mediocre action shooter with terrorists. I never liked this whole plot-line "we are USA, the absolute power, we see them terrorists everywhere and we kill them", but at least the first 3 games were good stealth games. The other 2 looked good and were acceptable. But this one? In one word GARBAGE.
    Seriously guys, wait for a cut to 25% of the release price, maybe one year or so, also for some 3-4 graphics patches to come out.
  19. Aug 31, 2013
    It was a good story, side missions were good, only the future waves of enemies did not like. The interrogation was lacking, but at least they were making.
  20. Aug 31, 2013
    I honestly don't understand "fanboys" who say that this is Conviction 2.0. Set your difficulty to at least realistic and bricks. That's what you should do if you're real fan of original SC. Yes, it does have some points from Conviction, but in it's core it is definitely old Splinter Cell. Like IGN said, it's the best in series since Chaos Theory. I really liked Conviction, it was a breathI honestly don't understand "fanboys" who say that this is Conviction 2.0. Set your difficulty to at least realistic and bricks. That's what you should do if you're real fan of original SC. Yes, it does have some points from Conviction, but in it's core it is definitely old Splinter Cell. Like IGN said, it's the best in series since Chaos Theory. I really liked Conviction, it was a breath of fresh air, and keeping a little bit of it in Blacklist was certainly a good idea.
    P.S. Still whining about Uplay? Meh.
  21. Aug 30, 2013
    I'm really sorry but I cannot recommend this game at all because, once again, Ubisoft has ripped us off with their online servers and connections.

I have been trying to play with a friend for several days, and all we get is disconnections and "unable to connect to the lobby" messages. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory had the same problem, and so did Conviction, and it seems that they just

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory had the same problem, and so did Conviction, and it seems that they just don't care about programming some decent multiplayer network, because in Blacklist it will fail and fail once and again.

If you want this game to play SpiesVSMercs or Coop Missions with a friend... DO NOT buy it! You will be wasting your money. Servers work really really bad, and all Ubisoft does to fix it is to tell you to forward your ports, deactivate your firewall, and some other stuff which do nothing to fix the situation, because they just won't accept that it's a problem on THEIR end.

If I have 15 online games in my computer, and all of them work perfectly online but Blacklist, I'd say it's pretty easy to guess which one has some problems that their developer needs to fix.

DO NOT get ripped off by Ubisoft.
  22. Aug 30, 2013
    Just like Conviction this game is incorrectly sold as a stealth game when in reality it is nothing but a cover-to-cover action shooter. Like Conviction, it has optional stealth segments here and there but it is by far the most inferior way of completing your missions and is basically a handicap unlike the Splinter Cell games of old where stealth was your best ally. The 2 comes from theJust like Conviction this game is incorrectly sold as a stealth game when in reality it is nothing but a cover-to-cover action shooter. Like Conviction, it has optional stealth segments here and there but it is by far the most inferior way of completing your missions and is basically a handicap unlike the Splinter Cell games of old where stealth was your best ally. The 2 comes from the fact that it looks decent and it runs okay after the patch but I couldn't stand the game for very long due to the above issue and because personally (as a non-American) I found the overly-patriotic "God bless 'Murrica" story to be vomit-inducing. I'll pass, thanks. Expand
  23. Aug 30, 2013
    Amazing game! Splinter Cell is back to the way it was, with a little bit of action. The good old ops suit is back, and the gadgets couldn't be any better. Sneaking without touching hostiles is back. Even distracting hostiles too many times might not count as a Ghost. The only thing I hated about the gameplay was the footsteps doesn't make too much noise, making you run most of the time.Amazing game! Splinter Cell is back to the way it was, with a little bit of action. The good old ops suit is back, and the gadgets couldn't be any better. Sneaking without touching hostiles is back. Even distracting hostiles too many times might not count as a Ghost. The only thing I hated about the gameplay was the footsteps doesn't make too much noise, making you run most of the time. The story is great and the villain (Sadiq) did an amazing job. What I hated though is how they ruined every character in the game. Grim, Sam, Vic, and even Kobin. Their faces have changed, their voices have changed expect for Vic and Kobin. Bringing new characters would've been better than ruining the ones we loved. What I hated the most is Sam's new voice actor. He's not bad. He's not bad at all as a matter of fact. If he was the new main character I would've been thrilled. But for Sam, horrible. Sam looks old but sounds young. Talking to his grown daughter is even more confusing. Ruined one of the best characters I loved in games. But the gameplay is just incredible. Specially the multiplayer. Overall, this game is amazing and a must buy for people who love stealth in general. Expand
  24. Aug 29, 2013
    Main plot is a little bit boring, dont know about multiplayer. The gameplay is extremely fun, textures sometimes blurry. Framerate is 40+ with a HD6850 at 1920x1080 FFAO, everything high, without AA/AF. Subtitles are often mistimed, hungarian subtitle is garbage, english is of course good. It has replay value. Coop main story is missing.
  25. Aug 28, 2013
    Splinter Cell: Blacklist are somewhere between the old Splinter Cell and the Splinter Cell: Conviction. But this game takes you by the hand through the entire game. The standard two ways (illusion of choice). Enemies who have the same behavior at every load. And in some places shooting is necessary. There are flaws in the gameplay. The script in the second half crumpled.
  26. Aug 28, 2013
    Why the bad reviews? PC gamers should be happy to get very nicely ported game with great graphics for once. The PC version of this game was clearly given some thought and effort. The Keyboard and mouse controls work great and I think are even better than the console controls. (I have a XBOX360 gamepad) No, this is not the pure stealth that was in the first couple splinter cells, but atWhy the bad reviews? PC gamers should be happy to get very nicely ported game with great graphics for once. The PC version of this game was clearly given some thought and effort. The Keyboard and mouse controls work great and I think are even better than the console controls. (I have a XBOX360 gamepad) No, this is not the pure stealth that was in the first couple splinter cells, but at least this time stealth is very viable and more importantly FUN!! Playing the ghost style is what splinter cell purists will want to do, but panther is also very fun, the executions are great! The gadgets are better than ever, the level design is great, with multiple paths to attack each objective. The enemies are varied, causing you to mix it up when a heavy infantry or guard dog gets in your way. This is the BEST Splinter Cell since chaos theory and if you don't think so, you're just being an elitist in my opinion. The robust upgrade system and multiplayer modes are also great and add a lot of replay value to this game. No, this isn't best stealth action game ever, that is reserved for metal gear solid 4, but it is the best one SINCE!!! Expand
  27. Aug 28, 2013
    Finally, a Splinter Cell game that satiates the desires of fans that love the "stealth" legacy that is apart of this game. The campaign is amazing, and there are so many avenues to complete a mission; plus, the enemies never take the same path twice, so it makes replaying a mission purposefully or by accident, much more enjoyable. Overall the co-op modes, ranking system, and just plainFinally, a Splinter Cell game that satiates the desires of fans that love the "stealth" legacy that is apart of this game. The campaign is amazing, and there are so many avenues to complete a mission; plus, the enemies never take the same path twice, so it makes replaying a mission purposefully or by accident, much more enjoyable. Overall the co-op modes, ranking system, and just plain entertainment value of this mandates that I give it a 10!

Fans of Splinter Cell games will love this!
  28. Aug 27, 2013
    I understand how the games are made these days, but still, I can't stand it. The biggest Blacklist's problem is the same as in the Hitman: Absolution. It's not a series-belonging game anymore. Almost all things that you've loved are now gone, and I think, it's forever. It's a good game, though, but let's divide the pros and cons:
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Pros: 1) The game tries to please
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Pros:
    1) The game tries to please old fans. Starting with the same sonic emitter clicking sounds as in the SCCT, to the overall sense of "being a ghost agent".
    2) The plot is kinda silly, but come on, it always've been silly and cutscenes are nice and that Normandy-like airplane with command center on board is doing it's purpose good, making the game more atmospheric.
    3) Missions! Good old badass stealth suit spec ops are definetly better than that... Jason Bourne thing that was in Conviction instead of SC-like missions.
    4) Gadgets are sweet!
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Cons:
    1) PC controls sucks balls HARD.
    2) Sam is not Sam. I mean' seriously, that guy is the other guy.
    3) Levels are too linear and scripted.
    4) Suit upgrading system sucks balls.
    5) Plane upgrades are cheat! I don't want to use the radar and other cheating stuff, but game is forcing me to do it!
    6) OPSAT is not OPSAT anymore. It sucks balls.
    7) Gimme back old goggles! I want the thermal night EM modes back in one device,
    8) Gimme back old noise shadow levels!
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Way better than the Conviction but still, it can not be compared to, for example, brilliant Chaos Theory. Even to Double Agent. Dear developers. Please. Stop thinking that the gamers are dumb. Take a look at indie industry and start making the games way it was back in mid-00's.
  29. Aug 27, 2013
    Brilliant gameplay, awesome controls (screw haters, blame yourselves for being BAD), ok graphics. Didn't like the new voice of Sam but I'm still gonna give it a 10 because of morons giving it a ZERO (really? zero? go kill yourselves)
  30. Aug 27, 2013
    Essentially, this game combines poorly executed elements of Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect. Cover-based shooting, poor AI, boring and predictable action sequences/cutscenes, and the loss of Michael Ironside make Blacklist the worst Splinter Cell yet, narrowly beating out Conviction.

Very disappointing. If you were a fan of the first three Splinter Cell games you may be yet again sorely disappointed in the lack of ingenuity and creativity put forth in this title. The game has regressed into yet another cover-based shooter, extremely linear in its level design and limited in its replayability. Certain reviewers have claimed that the developers were intent on bringing the series closer to its roots in stealth gameplay, however I found no evidence of that in this title. Things like horde mode, a weapon/gear unlock system, "heavy" enemies, and laughable plot devices bring the game closer to what we've come to expect from AAA console titles. You will notice that in this game, the Fisher character we once knew has morphed into Captain Shephard from Mass Effect, with his own personal spaceship that flies around from mission to mission to kill the ancient aliens known as the "Engineers." Once on the ground, Fisher again morphs into a superfast Enzio-esque monkey who is only capable of running or sprinting, and knows no concept of the word "sneak" (on the PC version at least he may be able to walk slower using a thumbstick on console).

Still, I can see the appeal for some people who just want a very easy, on-rails cover-based shooter that basically plays itself for you, not to mention the beautiful graphics. It's just a shame that Splinter Cell has gone down that path, because games that actually make you think and plan ahead a la SC: Chaos Theory are incredibly rare these days.
  31. Aug 27, 2013
    Splinter of Duty: Blacklist is about as entertaining as smashing your face against a keyboard repeatedly. Incidentally, that's the best way to play Blacklist.
  32. Aug 27, 2013
    Ubisoft really killed it this time. Conviction was the end; it wasn’t the best but definitely better. Putting aside that the controls of this game on a PC is just outrageous, you run around triggering movements that should only be a controller perk, causing laughable death exposing yourself to the enemy. This is going to the worst PC game of the decade in terms of console port issues. TheUbisoft really killed it this time. Conviction was the end; it wasn’t the best but definitely better. Putting aside that the controls of this game on a PC is just outrageous, you run around triggering movements that should only be a controller perk, causing laughable death exposing yourself to the enemy. This is going to the worst PC game of the decade in terms of console port issues. The graphics is nothing new anymore for this age, it just looks as it should, no wows or any better. Missions are very fragilely crafted, as if Ubisoft tries to focus on both coop and single player at the same time and fails at both. The “mother ship” or “base” concept in a shooter is not new anymore, Mass Effect was epic; Blacklist is abysmal. Besides, it is not even a good one. Is Ubisoft trying to cram 20 games into one? This is a really good question. These people need to stop having whiteboard meetings using dumbed down theoretical groupthink and feel like achieving. What happened to genuine creativity? I feel cheated of $50 playing this game for real. How much worse can it be? Expand
  33. Aug 27, 2013
    Splinter Cell Blacklist is one of the most visually stunning games to date with great gameplay this game goes hand in hand. However while the story is defiantly an improvement, we think the ending on the other hand could have been handled better as we felt it was just cut off.
  34. Aug 27, 2013
    Enjoted blacklist very much! Levels design are so awesome, its on same level as deus ex for me. Perfect stealth gameplay. The music and sound are very good. Sam really look cool, like true commander, all hes moves and stuf like that make him looks as real soldier. When playing this game its similar to watch some really nice military movie. Game looks very good on ultra, but no 16:10 support?
  35. Aug 27, 2013
    phenomenal game front to back. Blends old stealth techniques from previous titles in the series with a fair amount of action making it a seriously awesome title. Don't miss it!
  36. Aug 27, 2013
    Let me just start off by saying this game has derailed far, far away from Splinter Cell, at least, the way it used to be.
    Think of this game as Conviction, but it having more freedom and customization. I guess all games have to go modern and become renewed eventually, and I honestly think this new Splinter Cell isn't too bad.
    The new Sam Fisher is extremely stupid how old is he (around
    The new Sam Fisher is extremely stupid how old is he (around 57)? How the hell can he pull off the stuff he does in-game at this age? Not to mention he looks like he had a face surgery and a voice transplant (yes, yes, I know there's a new voice actor, which was inevitable after so many games).
    Considering this is a console port, I was positively surprised. There are a lot of options to choose and graphics look crisp and well-made (there are a few low quality textures for some reason, though).
    The controls are a little confusing, sadly. You share controls as Sam, as Spy and as Merc (multiplayer portion of the game, of course). Aiming is a little unresponsive and sluggish, luckily, shutting off V-Sync and reducing a few graphical options will help this problem (I hate how people mistake mouse lag with render lag and low FPS).
    The character animations are surprisingly well-done. Lipsync, movement and activity animations are up-to-par with today's games. Not to mention the camerawork is top notch, which adds to the experience quite greatly.
    I have to admire this game for the choices it gives you. It's certainly a step up from previous Splinter Cell games, which were more focused on the missions themselves. There are three different never-changing playstyles for each mission, four difficulties, not to mention the in-game narrative allows you walk around your main 'hub', talk to characters and choose optional missions and also make some moral and non-story-driven choices while in missions.
    Every mission is different, with the same objective every time get to your objective while choosing your approach through gadgets, weapons, the environment and of course your playstyle. You can cool off the main story by playing some optional missions alone or with a friend, and, of course, playing the multiplayer.
    The game has an interesting story, it's not too advanced or too simple, but it collides with the gameplay aspect of the game well enough to keep you interested.
    A few complaints about the gameplay, though the AI seems a little underdeveloped. At times, AI would spot me from across the room, and at other times, I would sit in the light, in the open and the enemy would just walk past me. A few interesting concepts of how the AI works are shown in a few areas of the game, but that's pretty much the only fun part of the single-player AI. Luckily, it's not game-breaking.
    Hiding bodes has been re-introduced. Once again, the AI is a little buggy, but if they do manage to spot a non-hidden body, they will start searching for you, which could cause problems getting to your objective. ESPECIALLY in close-quarter, claustrophobic areas.
    Spies vs Mercs is back, of course, and it's fun, even with the control problems I mentioned before.
    I have heard some people are having technical problems with DX9 and/or DX11 with the game crashing. My game never crashed (although alt-TABing pisses me off because the game automatically sets itself to windowed every time I want to step out of the game for a second). This will probably be fixed by new NVIDIA/AMD drivers and/or by game patch.
    Overall, I think this game is a good step up for the series, although Sam Fisher is getting too old for this. I think it's about time a new protagonist comes from the shadows before we see a 70 year old spy with a grumpy character saving the world again. Now THAT would be silly.
    DON'T GET ANY IDEAS, UBISOFT.
  37. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, this is the only review I ever hope to write. Ubisoft killed one of my favorite franchises. I've owned and played every Splinter Cell and loved them all, Conviction was barely passing as OK. Now this next part is a rant, that I kept forcing myself not to talk a about, but I just can't stay away for. it. The old and wise, deep voiced, badass Sam Fisher that we all know and love is GONE, he's dead. I refuse to believe that this new horribly voiced, George Cloony hair kit, 32 year is Sam. Fisher in this game just straight up comes off to be egotistical my, boring, and hard to look at and listen to. ok, but with rant aside, how does the game play? It's honestly barely passable. Gun play is just awkward at times and has some smoothing problems, some aps feel like they discourage stealth, and those missions that make you fail on alarm raises make no sense. you can kill of knock out and guard if you're undetected, but when Sam exfils it's like nothing happened, WTF The actual story is rides the fine like if average and bombarded with stereotypes, like ALL OF THE CHARACTERS IN THE GAME. Smart bad guy, nerdy hacker, old russian misfits looking arms dealer, new generic white washed african American soldier, intel officer, etc. I couldn't find myself to Carr or like anyone besides Lobin and Charlie. I honestly don't even know if anyone is reading at this point, but bottom like is, this game isn't worth it. I'm obviously talking from an extremely biased point of view, but I beat the campaign in about 10 hours on realistic difficulty, not including Charlie or Brigg's missions, the multiplayer is whatever, and Sam Fisher is dead. Btw he doesn't even should like he would Sarah's dad, he sounds and looks like a 32 year old pervert that bought a George Cloony hair kit. Expand
  38. Aug 26, 2013
    The game-play is good, I really like the story. The graphics are fantastic dx-11 the engine is well optimize, the audio, control good too, I found no issue with this game, by now...
    This game is fun to play so 9/10 for me
  39. Aug 25, 2013
    I wouldn't recommend this game at such a steep price point. Gameplay was passable. Story was shallow.

It was ported from consoles with little or no testing or effort spent on making sure it ran correctly. I wouldn't advise spending money on it regardless of how good you think the gameplay looks. It crashes at least every half hour and texture glitches abound on a variety of different graphics cards and systems. don't bet on being the excepting. The control scheme was half-hearted and not thought out for PC. Being able to use a mouse and simply aim at an enemy's head makes the single player far too easy. I'm sure its difficulty is much more balanced when played with thumbsticks? To top things off I had to complete the final mission three times just to see the ending because the game crashes immediately following the mission summary screen and wouldn't save the progress.

tl;dr: You aren't missing a game of the year here, and it's a perfect example of a terrible console port.
  40. Aug 25, 2013
    I've only got one thing to say: to everyone who is not American, this game is insulting. It's telling you that not accepting the US as the world's police is met with death. The Engineers have respected the Geneva Conventions. They are not soldiers per se, but they are not terrorists either.

I though at first Blacklist would be a thin-veiled parody: most video games have you play as an American. The team could have tried social commentary; such as "this is what happens when you get too zealous with security". But no, they play it straight: the Engineers are the bad guys, Fischer, who is above the laws and fitted with the best tech ever invented (no way this could backfire... oh wait, what happened to Conviction in the timeline of the series?), is the good guy. There is no irony. There is no commentary. You are here for one thing only: kill the heretics who dare revolt against the US.

Really strange, considering the game was made by a Canadian team owned by a French company.

And yet, I will give Blacklist a 5. If you overlook the scenario, you will find a capable shooter. Yet, technical issues (such as gamepads not being supported correctly despite being made to play with a gamepad; or the fact that there's already a patch when the game is less than 1 week old) must be taken into account and thus, I think Blacklist deserves a bad mark, but not a 0 just because I didn't like one aspect.
  41. Aug 24, 2013
    Finaly splinter cell is back. If you are a stealth fan play it in "perfectionist" mode. You will love it.
    Best "modern" splinter cell of the serie, we can not disagree with this.
  42. Aug 24, 2013
    Seeing as how Splinter Cell is one of my all time favourite series and I was super hyped for Blacklist, I felt compelled to write my first metacritic review. God, just the thought alone makes me shudder, but here it goes.

Now I have to start by saying, I'll NOT be reviewing the multiplayer aspects of the game, as I mainly play Singleplayer modes. As it stands, Blacklist is a clear

As it stands, Blacklist is a clear improvement over Conviction, which was a fantastic game, albeit somewhat "casual". As far as SC (Splinter Cell) games go.

Having to approach a situation with a tactical eye, rather than snapping the first guy's neck and going on an execution spree is a welcome change from the previous entry into the game. This is further emphasized by rewards for adapting a certain play style.

Ghost, where you slip past enemy lines using non-lethal tactics, Panther, where you are still stealthy but stabbing dudes left and right, or Action where you are basically Rambo, shooting everything that moves and using a whole bunch of C4.

Based on your style you get awarded cash and a score. Obviously, you use the cash to improve your gear and your score ranks you on global leaderboards.

Gear customization has been improved, allowing you to get better suits, googles, gadgets and weapons. All catering to your specific playstyle. Not only that, but Sam's new flying headquarters, a modified cargo plane, the Paladin, can also be improved to unlock further customization and new gadgets. To top it all off, you can store up to 3 loadouts, to swiftly switch between gear depending on how you want to approach a mission.

The only negatives regarding customization is that once you get your level 2 Stealth suit and a silenced sniper rifle, the game becomes a cakewalk. Snap a neck, mark and execute the rest from afar.

Now I have to mention bugs plaguing the game as of today. It's mostly to do with collision detection and the context sensitive actions.

Time and time again I'd try to lure a guard around the corner. As he was making his way to his death, he'd randomly get stuck on nothing, walking in place. Which gave me a laugh.

In regards to the context sensitive actions, more often than not as I was hiding in a room by a door. As my next prey approached I pressed "E" to slit his throat and low and behold, Sam stepped into the door and decided to instead close the door. Which clipping through the enemy, which of course prompted an alarm, bringing in reinforcements and/or instant mission failure.

However I'm afraid the negatives don't stop there.

Regardless of Ubisoft's latest patch, Alt Tabbing doesn't work. That's a solid fact. Dare alt tab in the middle of an op, and your game has a tendency for locking up., WITHOUT saving your checkpoint. But it's a broken system in itself, as somehow, the progression of bonus objectives WOULD be saved.

Speaking of checkpoints, they are few and far in between. Some of the more time consuming missions would throw you back some good ten to fifteen minutes if you had to quit and leave your PC.

But I feel I bad mouthed the game long enough. Let's talk about something good again.

Seeing as this is the PC version, and we are the PC master race, I'm happy to report that the game sports beautiful DX11 HD textures. That is if your rig can handle it. But even on lower DX settings the game still looks beautiful. The sound design and attention to detail in the environment is through the roof. Cobwebs hanging off the ceiling and that sort of stuff.

Now, environments. Sadly, this game decided to go the Modern FPS route. The first two main missions and a good bunch of the side missions take place in the middle east. Everything is brown and full of rats. Talk about stereotypes.

But thankfully, later on the settings change up quite a bit.

It's safe to say that was the saving grace for this game, as I'd have demanded a refund if for the next ten hours I had to sneak around arid, brown hills hunting evil brown people who are evil because they are evil.

But thankfully that wasn't the case. The story is solid, if not somewhat overused. Evil mercenaries wanting the US to change its ways. Twist, not really.

Now we have to talk about this. Because everyone is talking about this. The voice actor for Sam is no longer Michael Ironside.

The new guy, Eric Johnson does an OK job as Sam. However he is clearly not Sam. At least not the Sam we knew. He no longer sounds like a veteran who has seen some sh&t and saved the world over and over again, but instead your run of the mill American action hero. Who is out doing patriot stuff on friday nights.

To conclude, Blacklist is an amazing stealth game. But if you look further the game clearly has some problems. Mainly stability. It is obviously a very hasty console port.

For that, this game gets a 7 out of 10 from me. In my books, a seven means "Good". Not average, not very good. Just plain Good.
  43. Aug 24, 2013
    The game have been improved since the last installment. Ubisoft added new features you dicide different things etc) or has combined some old with new one. Also, Non Lethal/ Lethal (Ghost-Panther-Assault) choice help you to play the game in the way you like. They tried to bring the game into its roots. Furthermore, the co-op mode have fun, i enjoyed a lot especially when you teammate playsThe game have been improved since the last installment. Ubisoft added new features you dicide different things etc) or has combined some old with new one. Also, Non Lethal/ Lethal (Ghost-Panther-Assault) choice help you to play the game in the way you like. They tried to bring the game into its roots. Furthermore, the co-op mode have fun, i enjoyed a lot especially when you teammate plays properly The multiplayer (Spies v Mercs) wasn't so good as campaign, but i'm glad to see it back, (I always buy this franchise for the campaign), if you play as Spy, you play like Sam Fisher, on the opposite side, if you play as Merc, you just play more like a FPS, Call of Duty. To finish, the PC version had some problem with DX11 (crash or lag) and also with the controls. Anyway, 8 equalizes the good of the game with the cons. Expand
  44. Aug 23, 2013
    This game is being way over rated by people. Seriously how can you give it a 10 just from the fact Michael Ironside isn't Sam anymore. Thats a massive downer. I played through then entire campaign and the Sam Fisher in the game still doesn't seem like Sam Fisher to me anymore at all. -2 for that and -1 for there being only 1 good multiplayer game mode. Spy vs merc classic. All the otherThis game is being way over rated by people. Seriously how can you give it a 10 just from the fact Michael Ironside isn't Sam anymore. Thats a massive downer. I played through then entire campaign and the Sam Fisher in the game still doesn't seem like Sam Fisher to me anymore at all. -2 for that and -1 for there being only 1 good multiplayer game mode. Spy vs merc classic. All the other game modes are already dead. You can wait a good 15 min in the lobby and no one joins. Also the fact that 4v4 seems like way to many players for the size of the maps. Other then that complaining right there its still an amazing game. The way i rate games is their worth. Is it worth $60? No. But i would snatch it up on a steam sale for 39.99 or less in a heartbeat. Expand
  45. Aug 23, 2013
    Splinter cell blacklist is somewhat of a homecoming/slap in the face for me. The first thing you notice about the game is that Sam does not sound the same. It's weird hearing a thirty something year old actor voice a fifty something year old character. The game play is great and feels like a mixture of chaos theory and conviction. The story revolves around Sam stopping the blackSplinter cell blacklist is somewhat of a homecoming/slap in the face for me. The first thing you notice about the game is that Sam does not sound the same. It's weird hearing a thirty something year old actor voice a fifty something year old character. The game play is great and feels like a mixture of chaos theory and conviction. The story revolves around Sam stopping the black list, which is a series of attacks to hurt the U.S.. The game is great and really plays well but, the fact that the developers changed Sam's voice really pulls me out of the experience. The developers say that Michael Ironside istoo old to do the mocap is B.S.. The developers said the same thing about agent 47 and he was eventually reunited with the role because the fans care. Overall splinter cell blacklist is a good game, but small things like Sam's voice and parts of the game that force you to be aggressive hold this game back from being a perfect 10. Expand
  46. Aug 23, 2013
    It seems the 5 years between Chaos Theory and Conviction had everyone forget what made the series so different than everything else.

"Stealth Action Redefined" was the original subtitle of Splinter Cell. I always thought that the point of a secret agent was that his existence remained as much a secret as possible. In SC:B, it's quite the contrary. The SC fans will likely opt for the

The SC fans will likely opt for the Ghost approach. In SC:B, being a Ghost means you can be seen by the enemy as long as you knock him out within a second. You can knock out as many people as you want, shoot out light bulbs, destroy cameras, you name it. The next morning, nobody will remember a thing and will probably blame the destroyed light bulbs and cameras on a power surge or something.

You'll go on this mission where you must hack some computers, and where, if you're "detected", the enemy will wipe out the data and the mission will be a failure. But apparently, if you knock out the entire base before hacking the servers, it's not suspicious at all and they won't wipe out the data, because, bleh.

And if you remain completely invisible without leaving as much as a drop of sweat, the game rewards you with a lame 11000 points and a few thousand dollars. If you opt for wiping out the whole base, you'll get 20000+ points and even more money. Even shooting light bulbs rewards you with money.

Everything that was challenging in the previous games is now gone.

It's a somewhat fun game, but it's pretty far from what made Splinter Cell "redefine the stealth action" genre. Sadly, I don't think it's ever coming back.
  47. Aug 23, 2013
    I don`t think is that bad, btw, I think it`s great.
    The role in this game is pretty different from the other Splinter Cell series. The bad part in Conviction was about to be forced to kill your enemies, what does not (well, not usually) in Blacklist. You can play as a Ghost, stealthy and agile, or play as a Phanter, also stealthy bt deadly or as a CoD player (Assault).
    I agree when ppl
    I don`t think is that bad, btw, I think it`s great.
    I agree when ppl say "This is not as the classic SC games". Yeah, you`re right, this is another game with another history, and it fits perfectly.
  48. Aug 23, 2013
    I have been a Splinter Cell fan since the first game was released on the PC back in early 2000. Since then I have watched the decline of the franchise, which IMO began in Conviction, not Double Agent like a lot of other fans claimed. I remained optimistic of Blacklist after watching trailers and hearing interviews with the devs claiming they were making the game more stealth-heavy thanI have been a Splinter Cell fan since the first game was released on the PC back in early 2000. Since then I have watched the decline of the franchise, which IMO began in Conviction, not Double Agent like a lot of other fans claimed. I remained optimistic of Blacklist after watching trailers and hearing interviews with the devs claiming they were making the game more stealth-heavy than Conviction.
    Upon purchasing the game, I found it actually wouldn't load. It kept crashing every-time I opened the exe and I later discovered this was fixed with a day one patch with a whopping size of 2GB. Looking through the patch notes, I find it absolutely humiliating on behalf of Ubisoft that they could have released a product with as many game-breaking issues that needed to be fixed with a patch.
    Once I finally got the game to work, I played it for about three hours before switching it off. If you are a fan of Conviction, chances are you will love Blacklist as it is basically more of the same. But for long-time Splinter Cell fans, and perhaps even stealth game fans in general, I would highly suggest you give this one a miss.
    Graphically the game is fine. I see a lot of other reviewers here complaining about low frame rates, but I am running everything on max settings and getting a constant 40fps. Disappointingly though there is no FOV slider. The controls on the other hand are downright terrible. You can tell it was designed with a gamepad in mind, because using a keyboard and mouse is extremely awkward.
    If I had to describe the game in one word, it'd be COD. There are first person sections galore, and you will mow through dozens of enemies at a time without any hint of danger. Compare that to the first four SC games when even a single enemy could kill you within a few seconds if you were spotted. As well as that, you now have 'upgrades' such as a crossbow (I laughed out loud when I saw a crossbow in the game) as well as the redundant ability to change the color of Sam's goggles.
    Instead of hiding in the shadows, the 'stealth' aspect of Blacklist entirely revolves around cover. You will find yourself progressing throughout the level not by moving normally, but by shifting between bits of cover.
    Blacklist brings back the ability to hide bodies, but for seemingly no purpose other than for the hardcore fans that like covering their tracks. Enemies completely ignore bodies and leaving them exposed have absolutely no consequences, making this a completely pointless feature.
    Enemy AI is pathetic. I was frequently spotted when I was well hidden behind cover, and other times enemies would walk straight past me when I was in full view and not even notice me. There are also groups of baddies banded together for specific use of the 'press to win' mark and execute feature.
    But overall, like Conviction, this has just validated my suspicion that the franchise is no longer about playing a fragile character that has to strategically outmaneuver enemies, into the equivalent of a James Bond game that is all about being as action packed and flashy as possible. Calling this a stealth game is almost insulting to games such as Thief and MGS, I would be more inclined to label it a third-person shooter.
    In summary, if you are a Splinter Cell fan, do not buy this. This was a waste of my money and I will be looking to sell this in some way very soon. If you enjoyed Conviction however, this is more of the same and I'm sure you will love Blacklist.
  49. Aug 23, 2013
    In the title it stands "Splinter Cell", although it doesn't feel like Splinter Cell. It feel more like
    Splinter Cell: Conviction vol. 2. The characters are flat and boring without any depth. But, in the defense of Splinter Cell series, the characters had never any real depth in the series. Sam Fisher doesn't feel like Sam Fisher any more. The way he talks and moves is different and not different in good way. He sounds like a guy without any conviction, without any real threat in his voice. He always moves quickly, even when he "sneaks". He climbs fast too, like a spiderman, and it looks kind of ridiculous and very unrealistic, since he is an old man. I felt right from the beginning that it was different from previous Splinter Cell series. More action oriented, which defies the whole idea of what Splinter Cell series is all about. I see this new trend in more games now. I understand why Ubisoft made this approach. They wish too appeal too wider audience, I get that. But on the other hand, they are in danger of alienating fan boys who like this game for the slow sneaking pace. When I play this new Sam Fisher now, I felt like I was playing an inexperienced boy scout playing sneaking and shooting for fun. Not like the bad ass Sam Fisher with his deep voice that gave him character and with his black sense of humor that suited Sam Fisher character perfectly. There are a lot of new options in the game. There is a lot of new gadgets available for purchase. But is it a good thing. It can be, but it's not because of the new costumes or new fancy that you can buy and upgrade. It's the tension and excitement of sneaking that made this game series great. Some people may like this "freedom to choose", I guess. But too much choice can make it as an unnecessary distraction. I'll be honest. I haven't play the whole game, but I don't think if I have patience to get through the whole game. I got tired of this fast pace action shooting game, with sneaking elements, very fast. I understand that this game have some appeal, but it's not for me. Call me old faction, but I like sneaking and hiding in the shadows, the Sam Fisher way, the old
  50. Aug 22, 2013
    TLDR: port of Call of Duty meets neutered Sam Fisher. Do not waste your money on this.

Right. If you liked the original trilogy, this game is an insult. If you, like me, bought this on the promise of a return to the "classic" SvM multi-player. You were lied to, like me. There is nothing classic about it. Yet another game killed by the desperate screams from some jackass about "BROADEN THE APPEAL" and "THIS IS WHAT OUR FRAT-PARTY FOCUS GROUP WANTS!" To put it bluntly, even the lackluster DA`s multi-player was better then this.

As for QA? On the PC? From Ubisoft? Its not there. Its no way that any QA department is this incompetent. Failing to deliver a somewhat stable dx11 build of your game, in 2013? Settings? Nope. Key-bindings that you cant change, since then the game wont understand you, for instance, button x have one use in game, and one use when you interact with something, remap it, and you wont be able to use the latter function.

Oh, and just as a final kick in the teeth while we as players and suckers, are down, Ironsides is no longer involved. So yea, you`re not playing as Sam anymore, even if insists that you are. Shame on you, Ubisoft, Shame on you for acting just like good old Jim called out out to be, crummy, sniveling, French morons.
  51. Aug 22, 2013
    Single Player is well paced and it's enough to keep you interested without boring you. But truly, the greatest part of this game is the online Spies vs Mercs is amazing. It's very intense and plays great. It's similar to playing Counter-Strike competitive, in that you have to work with your team and when the Spies are hacking a station, it's super intense and fun. Worth playing if youSingle Player is well paced and it's enough to keep you interested without boring you. But truly, the greatest part of this game is the online Spies vs Mercs is amazing. It's very intense and plays great. It's similar to playing Counter-Strike competitive, in that you have to work with your team and when the Spies are hacking a station, it's super intense and fun. Worth playing if you are looking for something better than COD and less serious than CS. Expand
  52. Aug 22, 2013
    I would give the game a 9 if not for the two main issues I have with it. The first issue is Uplay, Ubisoft does not need to get it's wiener print on everything it does. If they make a quality game they will receive the benefits. The second issue is that online play seems slightly unstable. Out of about 5 hours I crashed 3 times. One time was a "blacklist.exe has stopped responding" and theI would give the game a 9 if not for the two main issues I have with it. The first issue is Uplay, Ubisoft does not need to get it's wiener print on everything it does. If they make a quality game they will receive the benefits. The second issue is that online play seems slightly unstable. Out of about 5 hours I crashed 3 times. One time was a "blacklist.exe has stopped responding" and the other two were my friend and I losing connection. Legitimately the two disconnects were not the games fault, but they way they handled it was. In the middle of a match, regardless of host, if either player loses connection...You get kicked to the map screen.

While the two issues that I mentioned were very annoying, the game is fantastic. Anyone complaining about the graphics should spring for a better video card. On ultra it's freakin' pretty.
  53. Aug 22, 2013
    Soo far, I am thoroughly enjoying the single player. I have not beat it yet so I will write another review when I finish it. From the different gadgets to the diversity in missions, the single player has been a great experience. I have not played the coop so my rating is not based off that aspect either.

If you are a fan of the original Spies vs Mercs, sorry to say, but you will be

If you are a fan of the original Spies vs Mercs, sorry to say, but you will be disappointed. The sneaky, stealthy spy has been replaced by some action hero spy. Gameplay in SvM encourages run and gun behavior and gungho spirits. All you hvae to do is run up to a Merc as a spy, press one button, and if you are in range you kill them with a hand to hand assasination, very close to the same way you can run up and stab a guard in Assassins Creed..Same goes for Mercs but mercenaries are supposed to be ridiculously strong to offset the stealth abilities of the spy. In the original, you could run around in the dark without being spotted or seen. That is not the case anymore and its sad because it breaks the immersion of the game when you have to just run around and stab Mercs the whole time.
  54. Aug 22, 2013
    The game is just great! Now the game has a real stealth (for example, you can drag the body to distract security whistle or noise), a lot of melee attacks as deadly (knife), and no deaths. Lots of upgrades of equipment ranging from gloves and ending points, and they affect the pumping of the main character, and not just for beauty. Through the game you can now not only in stealth but asThe game is just great! Now the game has a real stealth (for example, you can drag the body to distract security whistle or noise), a lot of melee attacks as deadly (knife), and no deaths. Lots of upgrades of equipment ranging from gloves and ending points, and they affect the pumping of the main character, and not just for beauty. Through the game you can now not only in stealth but as John Rambo wet all right and left in the open, for each element of the passing points are added, and for tricks that you perform with the money. Great graphics, animation (especially melee) on top. PC version looks much higher than the console (of course at the max. Capacity). So Uncle Sam this time did not disappoint! Expand
  55. Aug 21, 2013
    Beatlejuice6687
    This review is only for the online multiplayer, which is the only reason I bought it. I wouldn't have paid 60 bucks for a rehash action spy game which looks exactly like Conviction. I really liked Pandora Tomorrow totally new and innovative spies vs mercs. It was a huge step forward in bringing suspense and fun to consoles in it's day. Chaos Theory made great
    Beatlejuice6687

I really liked Pandora Tomorrow totally new and innovative spies vs mercs. It was a huge step forward in bringing suspense and fun to consoles in it's day. Chaos Theory made great improvements to that online play. Spies had to play cautious and sneaky. Although kills could be done, it was a careful move that had to be made. Double Agent went down the wrong path. Remote hacking, the more techno look. It was bad. This one ups(or downs) that one. Dumbest thing ever in SC??? Spy one button insta-kills. Run near a merc from any direction, press a single button, almost faster then a merc can shoot you down and you get a insta kill.

Merc's being considered the hunters are a total joke. Spies are so overpowered in their ability to run from any direction and insta-kill its just a horrible idea from whatever person thought this was good. I am done buying Splinter Cell games. They killed the best multi-player concept with silly and dumb gameplay and managed to do worse then the worst spies vs mercs offering they had put out until now.

It also crashing about every 20 mins with the DX11 client.
  56. Aug 21, 2013
    crummy console port, don't bother. Short campaign, getting a 2 because Spies vs Mercs was pretty well thought out. As a fan of the original two games this is of course a disappointment.
  57. Aug 21, 2013
    This game is a definite step in the right direction, tons of fun, and the graphics look great maxed out. Of course you get the idiots who rate the game a 0 because their hardware isn't good enough, or they have no idea how to use a computer.
  58. Aug 21, 2013
    Ok, it's a console port, I get that. Now, if you want to provide constructive criticism, find something else to rant about as there's more to games than just graphics quality. Otherwise, you are just whining.

I've played only 2 hours of the campaign so far, and I'm not disappointed. Controls are a little challenging at first, but you quickly get used to them. It's light-years ahead of Conviction and Double Agent in terms of gameplay: you can choose how to complete your missions: guns blazing, stealth, non-lethal; they are all fun to play.

I've paid $60 for this game; it's worth every penny!
  59. Aug 21, 2013
    Most of the Negative Reviews I've read are people complaining they couldn't even run it or complaining in general because PC Gamers tend to whine too much. This is my first review on here and I felt I needed to give an honest opinion about the game based on a couple of hours that I've played. I've been a life long Splinter Cell fan since the original. The only one I didn't play was DoubleMost of the Negative Reviews I've read are people complaining they couldn't even run it or complaining in general because PC Gamers tend to whine too much. This is my first review on here and I felt I needed to give an honest opinion about the game based on a couple of hours that I've played. I've been a life long Splinter Cell fan since the original. The only one I didn't play was Double Agent. With that being said this game is no Chaos Theory but it is also no Conviction. It takes bits and pieces of each game and instead tries to do something different and it actually works. Graphics on MAX Settings look great, I kept hearing about how the graphics were bad based on reviews but that was for consoles, you can't complain about the graphics they are miles ahead from Consoles (should be assumed). The way Blacklist's UI is set up is similar to Mass Effect. You have your Command Center and you can upgrade many things. I was overwhelmed at how many things I could upgrade, in a good way. You can have custom loadouts for Sam Fisher ranging from his gear to his body armor. Controls have a bit of a learning curve. I actually had an easier time adjusting to it than I previously had with Conviction. Mark and Execute (If you use it are set to ALT & CTRL). Whether you choose to use it or not it is there. I just binded these keys to Mouse 4 & 5 which was more convenient for me WHEN I used it, which was rarely. As I mentioned this game lets you play how YOU want to play. Wether is go in buns blazing or just good ol' Sam Fisher Style, you can toggle between Lethal and Non-Lethal weapons easily. I haven't tried how the controls feel on a gamepad but PC Controls are decent with minor complaints. The story is average, nothing to great. Sometimes it feels a bit cheesy. Voice acting was decent as well. Although I do miss Ironside Eric Johnson does a good job. Haven't had the chance to play multiplayer and co-op since my friends and I have been working and when we are not we are playing Single Player! However, I would recommend this game.

Controls: 8/10
    Story: 7/10
    Graphics: 8/10
    Gameplay:9/10
  60. Aug 21, 2013
    This game is definitely worth the money. Campaign, CoOp missions & Spy vs Mercs. All this tied in with the economy/upgrade system makes this game really fun with a lot of replay value. I also love the fact you can choose to play stealth if you want.
  61. Aug 20, 2013
    I have a brand new gaming computer that runs every game without crashing except this one. I fixed the crashes by switching to DirectX9 because using Directx11 was very unstable. The game is a very poor console port. I am a Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Versus mode fan, and I can tell you that Classic Mode here is a gimmick, it is nothing but a dumbed down version of "SvM Blacklist" (youI have a brand new gaming computer that runs every game without crashing except this one. I fixed the crashes by switching to DirectX9 because using Directx11 was very unstable. The game is a very poor console port. I am a Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Versus mode fan, and I can tell you that Classic Mode here is a gimmick, it is nothing but a dumbed down version of "SvM Blacklist" (you better believe it). The control customization options for the PC user are non-existent. You will find yourself doing things you don't want to do half of the time because the Mercenary controls are merged with the Spy controls which are merged with the Coop controls and Single Player controls. It is a nightmare. The aiming and overall responsiveness of the game is extremely sluggish even with a gaming mouse on high DPI settings. Knifing mercenaries as a spy feels very unrewarding and the spawn points are randomized, and it feels too much like COD or BF3 where you just spawn and die a lot.

Other notes: "back to wall" is now "cover and drop" so sometimes if you wanna take cover you will drop.
    "Sprint" is now "sprint and climb" so a lot of times if you are sprinting near a ledge or a window you will often times accidentally go farther than you want to.
    "Hand to hand combat" (knife as spy) is now also "Knife and hack" so if you ever want to attack a merc standing next to a terminal you may start hacking it and get killed.

THIS IS A TERRIBLE CONSOLE PORT.
  62. Aug 20, 2013
    Horribly optimized, dragged down by Uplay, and a intellectually crippled addition to the Splinter Cell franchise. I'm sure Multiplayer would be fantastic if it weren't for the fact that this is a horrible, consolized port.
  63. Aug 20, 2013
    If you liked any of the previous splinter cells you will enjoy this game, the voice change takes some getting used to but its a splinter cell with the stealth element back!

1. Jan 22, 2014
    With Conviction, the Splinter Cell series seemed to be veering off course, but Blacklist thankfully grabs the wheel and gets it back on track.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Splinter Cell Blacklist is one of the better entries in the long lived spy-saga. It offers great gameplay choices and sneaking is heavily rewarded. On top of that the multiplayer is also confidently crafted. The one thing lacking is the banal story with flat characterization that hinders Splinter Cell Blacklist from reaching any narrative high points.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Sep 25, 2013
    Though it lacks the subdued intelligence of Chaos Theory, there's still some cracking good sneaking to be had. [Oct 2013, p.92]