7.5

1. Aug 23, 2013
    It seems the 5 years between Chaos Theory and Conviction had everyone forget what made the series so different than everything else.

"Stealth Action Redefined" was the original subtitle of Splinter Cell. I always thought that the point of a secret agent was that his existence remained as much a secret as possible. In SC:B, it's quite the contrary. The SC fans will likely opt for the

The SC fans will likely opt for the Ghost approach. In SC:B, being a Ghost means you can be seen by the enemy as long as you knock him out within a second. You can knock out as many people as you want, shoot out light bulbs, destroy cameras, you name it. The next morning, nobody will remember a thing and will probably blame the destroyed light bulbs and cameras on a power surge or something.

You'll go on this mission where you must hack some computers, and where, if you're "detected", the enemy will wipe out the data and the mission will be a failure. But apparently, if you knock out the entire base before hacking the servers, it's not suspicious at all and they won't wipe out the data, because, bleh.

And if you remain completely invisible without leaving as much as a drop of sweat, the game rewards you with a lame 11000 points and a few thousand dollars. If you opt for wiping out the whole base, you'll get 20000+ points and even more money. Even shooting light bulbs rewards you with money.

Everything that was challenging in the previous games is now gone.

It's a somewhat fun game, but it's pretty far from what made Splinter Cell "redefine the stealth action" genre. Sadly, I don't think it's ever coming back.
  2. Aug 21, 2013
    Beatlejuice6687
    This review is only for the online multiplayer, which is the only reason I bought it. I wouldn't have paid 60 bucks for a rehash action spy game which looks exactly like Conviction. I really liked Pandora Tomorrow totally new and innovative spies vs mercs. It was a huge step forward in bringing suspense and fun to consoles in it's day. Chaos Theory made great
    Beatlejuice6687

I really liked Pandora Tomorrow totally new and innovative spies vs mercs. It was a huge step forward in bringing suspense and fun to consoles in it's day. Chaos Theory made great improvements to that online play. Spies had to play cautious and sneaky. Although kills could be done, it was a careful move that had to be made. Double Agent went down the wrong path. Remote hacking, the more techno look. It was bad. This one ups(or downs) that one. Dumbest thing ever in SC??? Spy one button insta-kills. Run near a merc from any direction, press a single button, almost faster then a merc can shoot you down and you get a insta kill.

Merc's being considered the hunters are a total joke. Spies are so overpowered in their ability to run from any direction and insta-kill its just a horrible idea from whatever person thought this was good. I am done buying Splinter Cell games. They killed the best multi-player concept with silly and dumb gameplay and managed to do worse then the worst spies vs mercs offering they had put out until now.

It also crashing about every 20 mins with the DX11 client.
  3. Aug 22, 2013
    TLDR: port of Call of Duty meets neutered Sam Fisher. Do not waste your money on this.

Right. If you liked the original trilogy, this game is an insult. If you, like me, bought this on the promise of a return to the "classic" SvM multi-player. You were lied to, like me. There is nothing classic about it. Yet another game killed by the desperate screams from some jackass about "BROADEN THE APPEAL" and "THIS IS WHAT OUR FRAT-PARTY FOCUS GROUP WANTS!" To put it bluntly, even the lackluster DA`s multi-player was better then this.

As for QA? On the PC? From Ubisoft? Its not there. Its no way that any QA department is this incompetent. Failing to deliver a somewhat stable dx11 build of your game, in 2013? Settings? Nope. Key-bindings that you cant change, since then the game wont understand you, for instance, button x have one use in game, and one use when you interact with something, remap it, and you wont be able to use the latter function.

Oh, and just as a final kick in the teeth while we as players and suckers, are down, Ironsides is no longer involved. So yea, you`re not playing as Sam anymore, even if insists that you are. Shame on you, Ubisoft, Shame on you for acting just like good old Jim called out out to be, crummy, sniveling, French morons.
  4. Aug 31, 2013
    What a good game! Lol, I'm just kidding. Another franchise lost forever to the Call of Duty audience. I quit playing when the game BECAME A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. Why did they do this to such a good franchise? your gay Ubisoft, just make a new IP if you want to make a bad Call of Duty clone, don't shoehorn it into a once strong franchise.
  5. Aug 23, 2013
    I have been a Splinter Cell fan since the first game was released on the PC back in early 2000. Since then I have watched the decline of the franchise, which IMO began in Conviction, not Double Agent like a lot of other fans claimed. I remained optimistic of Blacklist after watching trailers and hearing interviews with the devs claiming they were making the game more stealth-heavy thanI have been a Splinter Cell fan since the first game was released on the PC back in early 2000. Since then I have watched the decline of the franchise, which IMO began in Conviction, not Double Agent like a lot of other fans claimed. I remained optimistic of Blacklist after watching trailers and hearing interviews with the devs claiming they were making the game more stealth-heavy than Conviction.
    Upon purchasing the game, I found it actually wouldn't load. It kept crashing every-time I opened the exe and I later discovered this was fixed with a day one patch with a whopping size of 2GB. Looking through the patch notes, I find it absolutely humiliating on behalf of Ubisoft that they could have released a product with as many game-breaking issues that needed to be fixed with a patch.
    Once I finally got the game to work, I played it for about three hours before switching it off. If you are a fan of Conviction, chances are you will love Blacklist as it is basically more of the same. But for long-time Splinter Cell fans, and perhaps even stealth game fans in general, I would highly suggest you give this one a miss.
    Graphically the game is fine. I see a lot of other reviewers here complaining about low frame rates, but I am running everything on max settings and getting a constant 40fps. Disappointingly though there is no FOV slider. The controls on the other hand are downright terrible. You can tell it was designed with a gamepad in mind, because using a keyboard and mouse is extremely awkward.
    If I had to describe the game in one word, it'd be COD. There are first person sections galore, and you will mow through dozens of enemies at a time without any hint of danger. Compare that to the first four SC games when even a single enemy could kill you within a few seconds if you were spotted. As well as that, you now have 'upgrades' such as a crossbow (I laughed out loud when I saw a crossbow in the game) as well as the redundant ability to change the color of Sam's goggles.
    Instead of hiding in the shadows, the 'stealth' aspect of Blacklist entirely revolves around cover. You will find yourself progressing throughout the level not by moving normally, but by shifting between bits of cover.
    Blacklist brings back the ability to hide bodies, but for seemingly no purpose other than for the hardcore fans that like covering their tracks. Enemies completely ignore bodies and leaving them exposed have absolutely no consequences, making this a completely pointless feature.
    Enemy AI is pathetic. I was frequently spotted when I was well hidden behind cover, and other times enemies would walk straight past me when I was in full view and not even notice me. There are also groups of baddies banded together for specific use of the 'press to win' mark and execute feature.
    But overall, like Conviction, this has just validated my suspicion that the franchise is no longer about playing a fragile character that has to strategically outmaneuver enemies, into the equivalent of a James Bond game that is all about being as action packed and flashy as possible. Calling this a stealth game is almost insulting to games such as Thief and MGS, I would be more inclined to label it a third-person shooter.
    In summary, if you are a Splinter Cell fan, do not buy this. This was a waste of my money and I will be looking to sell this in some way very soon. If you enjoyed Conviction however, this is more of the same and I'm sure you will love Blacklist.
  6. Aug 20, 2013
    I have a brand new gaming computer that runs every game without crashing except this one. I fixed the crashes by switching to DirectX9 because using Directx11 was very unstable. The game is a very poor console port. I am a Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Versus mode fan, and I can tell you that Classic Mode here is a gimmick, it is nothing but a dumbed down version of "SvM Blacklist" (youI have a brand new gaming computer that runs every game without crashing except this one. I fixed the crashes by switching to DirectX9 because using Directx11 was very unstable. The game is a very poor console port. I am a Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Versus mode fan, and I can tell you that Classic Mode here is a gimmick, it is nothing but a dumbed down version of "SvM Blacklist" (you better believe it). The control customization options for the PC user are non-existent. You will find yourself doing things you don't want to do half of the time because the Mercenary controls are merged with the Spy controls which are merged with the Coop controls and Single Player controls. It is a nightmare. The aiming and overall responsiveness of the game is extremely sluggish even with a gaming mouse on high DPI settings. Knifing mercenaries as a spy feels very unrewarding and the spawn points are randomized, and it feels too much like COD or BF3 where you just spawn and die a lot.

Other notes: "back to wall" is now "cover and drop" so sometimes if you wanna take cover you will drop.
    "Sprint" is now "sprint and climb" so a lot of times if you are sprinting near a ledge or a window you will often times accidentally go farther than you want to.
    "Hand to hand combat" (knife as spy) is now also "Knife and hack" so if you ever want to attack a merc standing next to a terminal you may start hacking it and get killed.

THIS IS A TERRIBLE CONSOLE PORT.
  7. Aug 27, 2013
    Splinter of Duty: Blacklist is about as entertaining as smashing your face against a keyboard repeatedly. Incidentally, that's the best way to play Blacklist.
  8. Aug 23, 2013
    In the title it stands "Splinter Cell", although it doesn't feel like Splinter Cell. It feel more like
    Splinter Cell: Conviction vol. 2. The characters are flat and boring without any depth. But, in the defense of Splinter Cell series, the characters had never any real depth in the series. Sam Fisher doesn't feel like Sam Fisher any more. The way he talks and moves is different and not different in good way. He sounds like a guy without any conviction, without any real threat in his voice. He always moves quickly, even when he "sneaks". He climbs fast too, like a spiderman, and it looks kind of ridiculous and very unrealistic, since he is an old man. I felt right from the beginning that it was different from previous Splinter Cell series. More action oriented, which defies the whole idea of what Splinter Cell series is all about. I see this new trend in more games now. I understand why Ubisoft made this approach. They wish too appeal too wider audience, I get that. But on the other hand, they are in danger of alienating fan boys who like this game for the slow sneaking pace. When I play this new Sam Fisher now, I felt like I was playing an inexperienced boy scout playing sneaking and shooting for fun. Not like the bad ass Sam Fisher with his deep voice that gave him character and with his black sense of humor that suited Sam Fisher character perfectly. There are a lot of new options in the game. There is a lot of new gadgets available for purchase. But is it a good thing. It can be, but it's not because of the new costumes or new fancy that you can buy and upgrade. It's the tension and excitement of sneaking that made this game series great. Some people may like this "freedom to choose", I guess. But too much choice can make it as an unnecessary distraction. I'll be honest. I haven't play the whole game, but I don't think if I have patience to get through the whole game. I got tired of this fast pace action shooting game, with sneaking elements, very fast. I understand that this game have some appeal, but it's not for me. Call me old faction, but I like sneaking and hiding in the shadows, the Sam Fisher way, the old
  9. Aug 27, 2013
    Ubisoft really killed it this time. Conviction was the end; it wasn’t the best but definitely better. Putting aside that the controls of this game on a PC is just outrageous, you run around triggering movements that should only be a controller perk, causing laughable death exposing yourself to the enemy. This is going to the worst PC game of the decade in terms of console port issues. TheUbisoft really killed it this time. Conviction was the end; it wasn’t the best but definitely better. Putting aside that the controls of this game on a PC is just outrageous, you run around triggering movements that should only be a controller perk, causing laughable death exposing yourself to the enemy. This is going to the worst PC game of the decade in terms of console port issues. The graphics is nothing new anymore for this age, it just looks as it should, no wows or any better. Missions are very fragilely crafted, as if Ubisoft tries to focus on both coop and single player at the same time and fails at both. The “mother ship” or “base” concept in a shooter is not new anymore, Mass Effect was epic; Blacklist is abysmal. Besides, it is not even a good one. Is Ubisoft trying to cram 20 games into one? This is a really good question. These people need to stop having whiteboard meetings using dumbed down theoretical groupthink and feel like achieving. What happened to genuine creativity? I feel cheated of $50 playing this game for real. How much worse can it be? Expand
  10. Aug 27, 2013
    Essentially, this game combines poorly executed elements of Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect. Cover-based shooting, poor AI, boring and predictable action sequences/cutscenes, and the loss of Michael Ironside make Blacklist the worst Splinter Cell yet, narrowly beating out Conviction.

Very disappointing. If you were a fan of the first three Splinter Cell games you may be yet again sorely disappointed in the lack of ingenuity and creativity put forth in this title. The game has regressed into yet another cover-based shooter, extremely linear in its level design and limited in its replayability. Certain reviewers have claimed that the developers were intent on bringing the series closer to its roots in stealth gameplay, however I found no evidence of that in this title. Things like horde mode, a weapon/gear unlock system, "heavy" enemies, and laughable plot devices bring the game closer to what we've come to expect from AAA console titles. You will notice that in this game, the Fisher character we once knew has morphed into Captain Shephard from Mass Effect, with his own personal spaceship that flies around from mission to mission to kill the ancient aliens known as the "Engineers." Once on the ground, Fisher again morphs into a superfast Enzio-esque monkey who is only capable of running or sprinting, and knows no concept of the word "sneak" (on the PC version at least he may be able to walk slower using a thumbstick on console).

Still, I can see the appeal for some people who just want a very easy, on-rails cover-based shooter that basically plays itself for you, not to mention the beautiful graphics. It's just a shame that Splinter Cell has gone down that path, because games that actually make you think and plan ahead a la SC: Chaos Theory are incredibly rare these days.
  11. Aug 20, 2013
    Horribly optimized, dragged down by Uplay, and a intellectually crippled addition to the Splinter Cell franchise. I'm sure Multiplayer would be fantastic if it weren't for the fact that this is a horrible, consolized port.
  12. Aug 30, 2013
    Just like Conviction this game is incorrectly sold as a stealth game when in reality it is nothing but a cover-to-cover action shooter. Like Conviction, it has optional stealth segments here and there but it is by far the most inferior way of completing your missions and is basically a handicap unlike the Splinter Cell games of old where stealth was your best ally. The 2 comes from theJust like Conviction this game is incorrectly sold as a stealth game when in reality it is nothing but a cover-to-cover action shooter. Like Conviction, it has optional stealth segments here and there but it is by far the most inferior way of completing your missions and is basically a handicap unlike the Splinter Cell games of old where stealth was your best ally. The 2 comes from the fact that it looks decent and it runs okay after the patch but I couldn't stand the game for very long due to the above issue and because personally (as a non-American) I found the overly-patriotic "God bless 'Murrica" story to be vomit-inducing. I'll pass, thanks. Expand
  13. Aug 20, 2013
    If you liked any of the previous splinter cells you will enjoy this game, the voice change takes some getting used to but its a splinter cell with the stealth element back!
  14. Feb 3, 2014
    Seriously, what the hell is this. I buy this game, intending mainly to play it multiplayer with a friend, and it doesn't work at all. I look on the forums to see what's up, to see if there is some fix or anything, willing to do an amount of work to fix it, and nothing. All I see is that for some people it works and for others it doesn't. I have an excellent computer and great internet, andSeriously, what the hell is this. I buy this game, intending mainly to play it multiplayer with a friend, and it doesn't work at all. I look on the forums to see what's up, to see if there is some fix or anything, willing to do an amount of work to fix it, and nothing. All I see is that for some people it works and for others it doesn't. I have an excellent computer and great internet, and so does my friend, so it's not those. It's simply a dumb game that doesn't work as advertised.

Maybe the single player is good, I don't know. But for me, I bought this game for the multiplayer and coop with a friend, and I got nothing out of it. If you want to play multiplayer, **** save your money. The Devs don't respond to any of the forums. Not they just can't figure out how to fix it. THEY ARE IGNORING IT.

Not to mention this awful Uplay fiasco. Seriously? why do we need this Uplay **** It adds nothing to the game and only makes everyone pissed. I, for one, seriously want my money back.
  15. Aug 14, 2014
    Splinter cell: Blacklist is a mediocre game in the franchise but by far was the most anticipated because it brings all the stuff that was new in Conviction, but builds it all into one full fluid gameplay experience. Sadly this made the game too different and it didn't feel like a splinter cell game at all, but just another action game that incorporated stealth in some areas to compete withSplinter cell: Blacklist is a mediocre game in the franchise but by far was the most anticipated because it brings all the stuff that was new in Conviction, but builds it all into one full fluid gameplay experience. Sadly this made the game too different and it didn't feel like a splinter cell game at all, but just another action game that incorporated stealth in some areas to compete with the SC series. Many problems for the PC version made it annoying to play but I felt like I had to because I needed to continue through the SC franchise even though this one was a bit of a disappointment but not so bad that it was a bad game. It still is great just doesn't feel like a SC game which is why I think this game still deserves a positive score. Expand
  16. Feb 13, 2014
    Having just played AC4 (Black Flag) I guess I've grown used to fluid movement controls (and sea shanties), which makes Blacklist all the more grating. It's just horribly inconsistent, you can't climb over things you expect to be able to climb over, you can't drop off things you expect to drop off, the cover system works here but not there. And if you get caught in the open by a heavy, youHaving just played AC4 (Black Flag) I guess I've grown used to fluid movement controls (and sea shanties), which makes Blacklist all the more grating. It's just horribly inconsistent, you can't climb over things you expect to be able to climb over, you can't drop off things you expect to drop off, the cover system works here but not there. And if you get caught in the open by a heavy, you might as well surrender, because you feel like a drunk puppeteer as you try and bring shots down on target.. I had to rage-quit so many times (in order to avoid a coronary) that I ultimately decided to uninstall after completing just under 50%. So frustrating. Avoid. Expand
  17. Feb 4, 2014
    The game is pretty good, WHEN I can play it. With Uplay it's almost impossible to get it to run, and when it runs, it doesn't save. BEWARE of Uplay! Don't buy this game, Uplay will make sure you won't be able to enjoy it.
  18. Feb 18, 2014
    I would not recommend this game to anyone who wants to play online with friends. Like so many of Ubisoft's games - the "play with a friend" game type does not work. One only has to read the forums to see that this is not an isolated problem. It's half a game. And if you're like me and purchased the game mainly because you wanted to play online with a friend, then you'll be sorelyI would not recommend this game to anyone who wants to play online with friends. Like so many of Ubisoft's games - the "play with a friend" game type does not work. One only has to read the forums to see that this is not an isolated problem. It's half a game. And if you're like me and purchased the game mainly because you wanted to play online with a friend, then you'll be sorely disappointed. If you are just looking for a single-player FPS then you probably could do worse than SC: Blacklist. But if you're after co-op fun with friends, then avoid at all costs. Expand
  19. Oct 13, 2013
    the game is just too boring. I played it and after three missions I had enough. The missions are monotonous, the weapons are no good, the storyline is just too bogus and other like that. Good for kids, for adults.
  20. Sep 4, 2013
    Three hours in, and I found the most satisfying feature to be the 'quit to desktop' menu option. Gameplay centers around lining up on hotspots. When done precisely enough, one or more of the available action buttons are shown onscreen. Thus allowing a predefined action to be executed. Taking cover, climbing... are only allowed at the behest of this system. The other half is shootingThree hours in, and I found the most satisfying feature to be the 'quit to desktop' menu option. Gameplay centers around lining up on hotspots. When done precisely enough, one or more of the available action buttons are shown onscreen. Thus allowing a predefined action to be executed. Taking cover, climbing... are only allowed at the behest of this system. The other half is shooting things. But enemies will spot you within seconds, even when facing away. Some of these limitations might be alleviated through the upgrade system. But it is a serious grind getting there. Expand
  21. Oct 26, 2013
    I can't see what all the fuss is about for this game. The characters are unengaging, it's padded with tedious cut scenes, the graphics are so-so and the controls are awful and will result in regular death.

This is a like a 5 or 6 year old game, avoid.
  22. Sep 22, 2013
    Extremely disappointing. I love stealth games, but I simply can't believe that the enemies are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STUPID and yet do crap-tons of damage. You can't outsmart them or lure them on higher difficulties; you simply have to avoid their pre-programmed walking paths. THIS IS NOT HOW A STEALTH GAME SHOULD BE!
  23. Feb 23, 2014
    Turns out they not only removed Sam's voice, but his soul as well. If the guy in this game is Sam Fisher, then I am James Bond and I am not even British.
  24. Mar 17, 2014
    VERY buggy. Constant crashes. Sometimes doesn't even start thanks to Uplay. Doesn't save games. The small amount of the game I managed to play uninterrupted was very linear, dull and predictable. Avoid at all costs.
  25. Dec 14, 2013
    This game is garbage. Coop is broken and Ubisoft doesn't care. Go die plz. If you're going to make us go through port forwarding and firewall nonsense, then you've broken the game and done something wrong. Thanks for being idiots as usual.
  26. Aug 27, 2013
    I understand how the games are made these days, but still, I can't stand it. The biggest Blacklist's problem is the same as in the Hitman: Absolution. It's not a series-belonging game anymore. Almost all things that you've loved are now gone, and I think, it's forever. It's a good game, though, but let's divide the pros and cons:
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Pros: 1) The game tries to please
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Pros:
    1) The game tries to please old fans. Starting with the same sonic emitter clicking sounds as in the SCCT, to the overall sense of "being a ghost agent".
    2) The plot is kinda silly, but come on, it always've been silly and cutscenes are nice and that Normandy-like airplane with command center on board is doing it's purpose good, making the game more atmospheric.
    3) Missions! Good old badass stealth suit spec ops are definetly better than that... Jason Bourne thing that was in Conviction instead of SC-like missions.
    4) Gadgets are sweet!
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Cons:
    1) PC controls sucks balls HARD.
    2) Sam is not Sam. I mean' seriously, that guy is the other guy.
    3) Levels are too linear and scripted.
    4) Suit upgrading system sucks balls.
    5) Plane upgrades are cheat! I don't want to use the radar and other cheating stuff, but game is forcing me to do it!
    6) OPSAT is not OPSAT anymore. It sucks balls.
    7) Gimme back old goggles! I want the thermal night EM modes back in one device,
    8) Gimme back old noise shadow levels!
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Way better than the Conviction but still, it can not be compared to, for example, brilliant Chaos Theory. Even to Double Agent. Dear developers. Please. Stop thinking that the gamers are dumb. Take a look at indie industry and start making the games way it was back in mid-00's.
  27. Aug 28, 2013
    Splinter Cell: Blacklist are somewhere between the old Splinter Cell and the Splinter Cell: Conviction. But this game takes you by the hand through the entire game. The standard two ways (illusion of choice). Enemies who have the same behavior at every load. And in some places shooting is necessary. There are flaws in the gameplay. The script in the second half crumpled.
  28. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, this is the only review I ever hope to write. Ubisoft killed one of my favorite franchises. I've owned and played every Splinter Cell and loved them all, Conviction was barely passing as OK. Now this next part is a rant, that I kept forcing myself not to talk a about, but I just can't stay away for. it. The old and wise, deep voiced, badass Sam Fisher that we all know and love is GONE, he's dead. I refuse to believe that this new horribly voiced, George Cloony hair kit, 32 year is Sam. Fisher in this game just straight up comes off to be egotistical my, boring, and hard to look at and listen to. ok, but with rant aside, how does the game play? It's honestly barely passable. Gun play is just awkward at times and has some smoothing problems, some aps feel like they discourage stealth, and those missions that make you fail on alarm raises make no sense. you can kill of knock out and guard if you're undetected, but when Sam exfils it's like nothing happened, WTF The actual story is rides the fine like if average and bombarded with stereotypes, like ALL OF THE CHARACTERS IN THE GAME. Smart bad guy, nerdy hacker, old russian misfits looking arms dealer, new generic white washed african American soldier, intel officer, etc. I couldn't find myself to Carr or like anyone besides Lobin and Charlie. I honestly don't even know if anyone is reading at this point, but bottom like is, this game isn't worth it. I'm obviously talking from an extremely biased point of view, but I beat the campaign in about 10 hours on realistic difficulty, not including Charlie or Brigg's missions, the multiplayer is whatever, and Sam Fisher is dead. Btw he doesn't even should like he would Sarah's dad, he sounds and looks like a 32 year old pervert that bought a George Cloony hair kit. Expand
  29. Sep 5, 2013
    Here's Ubisoft's vision. If the game is broken (Conviction) and loses more fan base than it gains, make a 2nd one that is the same exact thing but bring back multiplayer to win-back our lost fans. Granted, I am very happy that they brought back Spies vs. Mercs again. But the Single Player (Which I used to enjoy) was short, felt like a 3rd Person Shooter, and I didn't feel those tenseHere's Ubisoft's vision. If the game is broken (Conviction) and loses more fan base than it gains, make a 2nd one that is the same exact thing but bring back multiplayer to win-back our lost fans. Granted, I am very happy that they brought back Spies vs. Mercs again. But the Single Player (Which I used to enjoy) was short, felt like a 3rd Person Shooter, and I didn't feel those tense moments of getting discovered as I did earlier in the series. Please don't try again. Expand
  30. Sep 18, 2013
    If I look at the critic reviews it is obvious that they were either paid, or otherwise incapacitated. Just installing this game already made me hate it.
    First of all, I had to install UPlay which I really didn't want to I had to wait all day for the 19 gig download (that's fine thats normal) but then I had to actually install it "Oh wait let me download another 800meg of who knows what." Ok...fine...so now lets play this game "Oh wait! Let me download another 1gig or who knows what." Right...now I'm thoroughly annoyed and completely lost my desire to play.

I try again the next day I load up the game and instantly I am thrown into an intro video no menu or nothing but oddly enough it's in windowed mode...other than possibly Minecraft, why would a game EVER want to run in windowed mode?! So fine I watch the video cringing at the horrible Sam Fisher voice, crying slightly inside realizing that this marks the loss of what Splinter Cell used to be. Finally when the video is over I can go and change my settings to not be in windowed mode anymore and now I'm ready to play. Oh wait...why is my keyboard not working? I can't move...or look. I have zero control over Sam. I check my settings ok, for some reason all my move keys are unbound. I bind them, still nothing. I restart the game nope. At this point I'm just ticked off and I don't think I'll load up this game again.

As others have said this is a terrrrrrrible console port and I hate Ubisoft for destroying the one game franchise I actually really loved to play. I am willing to forgive their screw up with Chaos Theory not working on Windows 7 and their absolute lack of caring about it, but this? Sorry guys I may never buy a game from you again. But that's ok because I can tell I won't be missing out on much.

I wish companies would realize that PC gamers are not a thing of the past. When last I checked I think our numbers may actually be growing. Here is a tip create a beautiful game full with goodness, good game design, mechanics etc but create it with a PC in mind. THEN...take your knife and gut the heck out of it to fit on a console. This way PC gamers get your best, and console players won't notice a thing please do this instead of how everyone seems to be currently doing it which is the other way around creating the game as if the whole concept of it has been gutted, and then trying to slap some foundation on it to make it look pretty for the PC players.

1. Jan 22, 2014
    With Conviction, the Splinter Cell series seemed to be veering off course, but Blacklist thankfully grabs the wheel and gets it back on track.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Splinter Cell Blacklist is one of the better entries in the long lived spy-saga. It offers great gameplay choices and sneaking is heavily rewarded. On top of that the multiplayer is also confidently crafted. The one thing lacking is the banal story with flat characterization that hinders Splinter Cell Blacklist from reaching any narrative high points.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Sep 25, 2013
    Though it lacks the subdued intelligence of Chaos Theory, there's still some cracking good sneaking to be had. [Oct 2013, p.92]